Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mayor Bill De Blasio Plans 22,000 Layoffs, As People Flee New York City In Droves

Brace yourselves, New Yorkers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328October 7, 2020 5:48 AM

Fuck that's not good.

We are in a depression - not a recession.

by Anonymousreply 1August 29, 2020 4:00 PM

Good.

by Anonymousreply 2August 29, 2020 4:02 PM

I am waiting on the folks who always say NYC is invincible and furnish proof...

At this point I remain neutral and feel everything lays somewhere in between. (Is it lies?)

Fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 3August 29, 2020 4:03 PM

Good why R2?

by Anonymousreply 4August 29, 2020 4:03 PM

Time for the white transplants to get the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 5August 29, 2020 4:04 PM

If the Congress can't get the Senate to pass a bill with aid to states and local governments, the layoffs will begin.

by Anonymousreply 6August 29, 2020 4:04 PM

I agree R4. Anyone who wants any city to be in this much trouble, especially one that represents "the American Dream" isn't looking at the big picture....

The bell tolls for thee...

by Anonymousreply 7August 29, 2020 4:09 PM

New York taxes pay for other poorer states (like Moscow Mitch's Kentucky and Deplorable Florida). If NY fails, the rest of the country will suffer.

by Anonymousreply 8August 29, 2020 4:11 PM

Time for whites who came from anywhere but the Tri-State to leave.

by Anonymousreply 9August 29, 2020 4:11 PM

^no they won't. New York will just suffer more as they redistribute the meagre funds to the Dep. states.

by Anonymousreply 10August 29, 2020 4:15 PM

"If NY fails, the rest of the country will suffer."

You keep telling yourself that, cupcake. Whatever it takes to get you through the night.

I remember a very famous NY tabloid headline: "Drop dead!!" Nobody gave a shit then either.

Let it happen again and see if anybody gives a flying fuck now.

by Anonymousreply 11August 29, 2020 4:21 PM

Why doesn't former mayor, "Betty" Bloomberg, just write a check already?

by Anonymousreply 12August 29, 2020 4:22 PM

Why everyone so scared to tax the billionaires? How much can campaign contributions be worth when you'd have the whole population on your side at a time like this?

by Anonymousreply 13August 29, 2020 4:25 PM

Mrs Mayor however will still get to "manage" billions of the city's money

by Anonymousreply 14August 29, 2020 4:32 PM

R11 But then NYC’s economy came roaring back in the go-go ‘80s and ‘90s, so what’s your point?

by Anonymousreply 15August 29, 2020 4:39 PM

Liberals destroy everything. Lawlessness and destruction at the hands of Democrats rules the night.

Trump will win in a landslide.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2020 4:44 PM

This is not looking good for the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2020 4:46 PM

Horseshit R16 & R17.

Trump's going to be unceremoniously thrown out of the White House in a landslide election result and you both know it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2020 4:48 PM

The president of the EMTs union said deBlasio "deserves a punch in the nose" for trying to layoff first responsders.

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2020 4:58 PM

That's exactly my point, R15. Left to its own devices, NYC will come back. So why are they crying wolf again?

Although, in case you haven't noticed, it is no longer 1980 or 1990. This time, no person/business/thing NEEDS to be anywhere. Technology has changed. Wall Street and finance/banking could be in Omaha; broadcasting could be in Atlanta; publishing can be in Nashville. Even culture/theater/performing arts has venues that can replace NYC. The point is NYC no longer has a monopoly on anything or any particular industry.

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2020 5:00 PM

Big cities are all suffering and are hoping for another stimulus.

McConnell and Trump are holding off on another stimulus because they don’t want to help blue states

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2020 5:02 PM

And his wife has a staff of between 8 & 14 at a cost of $2 mil/yr...

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2020 5:08 PM

How many more years does he have as mayor?

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2020 5:15 PM

In his pandemic briefings, NY Governor Cuomo has been warning for months of the drastic measures that will have to be taken if there is no Federal help from Washington for lost revenues. He will have to cut teachers, hospitals, police, first responders etc...

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2020 5:22 PM

The New Yorker’s that voted for this idiot should feel stupid.

by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2020 5:22 PM

R24 but why is New York broke in the first place?? This is NEW YORK, not Flyoverstan. Shouldn't they have money?

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2020 5:23 PM

This will happen. Cheeto has a vendetta, he wants to cripple all Democratic states, "no Federal funds for you."

by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2020 5:28 PM

Because Republican lite Cuomo wants to suck the ball sacks of the wealthy and fuck everyone else. It’s time his ass got primaried by a real progressive democrat.

And stop electing Republican racists like Giuliani and Bloomberg as mayors.

by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2020 5:30 PM

Happens all the time, babe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2020 5:34 PM

^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2020 5:34 PM

More had already been laid off. This was 1991

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2020 5:36 PM

On Friday June 24, 2011, UFT President Michael Mulgrew, along with City Council Speaker Christine Quinn and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, announced that an agreement had been reached to prevent the layoff of 4,100 New York City teachers. The agreement came six months after Mayor Bloomberg had warned [bold] 21,000 layoffs [/bold] were possible.

by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2020 5:39 PM

Cut that government fat!

Once these politicians lose the support of their precious, unassailable public sector and their unions maybe then they’ll care about the rest of us for once.

by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2020 5:41 PM

California is the 3rd largest economy in the world. If it fails, we are in trouble. I think this pandemic has reveled how fragile our entire system is. Most American's and American businesses, large and small, fail with the loss of a couple of months of income. No savings, no investment in the future beyond a couple of months, and for some, no opportunity to do so. The small business I work for actually saved money for disasters, so they could keep the business going and keep everyone paid.

by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2020 5:47 PM

We bounced back from '75, '91 & '11. Ain't no bouncing back from a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2020 5:47 PM

There are some YT and IG influencers who moved to NYC earlier this year pre-COVID lockdown. You should see some of their posts, all trying to keep the brave face but they know they’d made big mistake moving there.

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2020 5:58 PM

R36 one even admitted on Twitter he made a mistake lmao. I think he blocked me after I replied something rude

by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2020 5:59 PM

[Quote] It’s time his ass got primaried by a real progressive democrat.

He has been...twice and people wouldn't vote for them.

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2020 5:59 PM

[quote] We bounced back from '75, '91 & '11. Ain't no bouncing back from a pandemic.

I was just there yesterday in my old neighborhood. People were shopping, dining outdoors, getting haircuts (every other salon seat was empty due to distancing). No homeless people, no riots, no wailing on the streets. People wore masks and were having no problems wearing them. They weren’t tearing the masks off their faces gasping for air because of “mah rights as someone with an undisclosed disease I can’t tell you about because of the Americans with Disabilities Act”

I think a few Duane Reades had closed down, but that’s a good thing. Used to be one discount drugstore downtown that turning into a festering, overpriced sore on the face if NY. I have seen so many iterations if my old neighborhood come & go over the years - hippies, yuppies, preppies, metrosexuals, germans, asians, white sneakered seinfeldian men. I watched electronics shops, framing stores, stationery stores, card shops, bakeries, florists, neighborhood clothing stores, tailors, camera & printing shops close up forever. They never reappeared. Someone else started a new business a few months after they left.

I heard Victoria’s Secret on 5th Ave stopped paying its nearly $1M a month lease.

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2020 6:10 PM

New York will come back. Those desperate for its demise will be sorely disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2020 6:19 PM

^ How long did it take the last time? 20-30 years? New York isn't coming back for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2020 6:20 PM

NYC will come back when there is a vaccine. Once everyone feels safe, they will reopen the theatres and clubs that make the city special. There will be long term effects from the work at home movement though. So maybe, the city won't return to the powerhouse it once was. Culturally, it will come back.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2020 6:23 PM

I read Jerry Seinfeld's piece in the NYT claiming NYC will recover strong...which is easy to argue when you have a net worth of $800 million and own a 3 story building on the UWS just to store your car collection

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2020 6:24 PM

What the world needs after this pandemic is a big war fought using poor people. That'll get the economy booming again!!

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2020 6:29 PM

yes R41, it worked in 1917 and 1941.

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2020 6:31 PM

What this Country needs is less whites.

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2020 6:34 PM

[quote] New York taxes pay for other poorer states

The people paying the taxes have moved elsewhere, where they will still pay taxes. They didn’t die. Their tax money just won’t be used anymore to prop up NYC.

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2020 6:39 PM

R22 When asked why his wife hired more staff when he has a moratorium on hiring, he said her group is not city agency. But he had no problem getting money by defunding city agencies to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2020 6:59 PM

R25 Both times fewer than 30% of eligible voters showed-up. Those who did were mostly city employees, Now we're all suffering,.

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2020 7:01 PM

Was there ever a criminal investigation into the missing millions of dollars supposedly given to his wife’s charity?

by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2020 7:08 PM

R39, that's a fucking lie. Homeless people are everywhere.

You obviously didn't walk around anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 51August 29, 2020 7:13 PM

yeah...there will be less people here for sure. WFH is practically permanent now and here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2020 7:15 PM

R39, the Duane Reades were closing last year and have nothing to do with the coronavirus. It's too bad for me, my pharmacist, whom I knew for ages, was moved out of the area.

Your description is perfectly accurate, btw.

by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2020 7:18 PM

Still don’t understand the mentality of the people gleeful about NYC failing.

by Anonymousreply 54August 29, 2020 7:25 PM

Remember, Dems refused to get behind the more than competent Christine Quinn because of....carriage horses!

That was DeBlasio's big wedge issue that got him elected! What has he done about them? Nothing, because otherwise they'd all be shipped to the glue factory the next day!

by Anonymousreply 55August 29, 2020 7:25 PM

[quote] WFH is practically permanent now and here to stay.

All of the employees where I work had to go into the office, by appointment, this month and clear out their work space and take all of their stuff home. WFH is now permanent for my company. It would be crazy for a company to keep offices in expensive NYC or try to justify it to shareholders.

by Anonymousreply 56August 29, 2020 7:27 PM

40 students to a teacher, and half those kids with unemployed parents (or parent), not to mention the evictions come cold winter. Kids are in for a rough ride.

by Anonymousreply 57August 29, 2020 7:29 PM

R28 Actually Cuomo has contributed greatly to the exodus of the middle class from nyc. He is just as bad as de blasio! Now he’s realizing the wealthy aren’t so bad. They help fund the city. He’s terrible for business including (small mom and pops)...cut businesses off at the knees and you get an economically depressed city. He and de blasio were the worst people to ever have happened to NYC. Cities need republicans or moderates or at least one person from both parties not two democrats.

by Anonymousreply 58August 29, 2020 7:30 PM

NY loves to elect mayors and governors then tear them limb from limb. This same vivisection happened to Pataki, Giuliani, Dinkins and Koch. We love to hate-elect around here!

by Anonymousreply 59August 29, 2020 7:34 PM

[quote] What this Country needs is less whites.

Fewer, you racist dolt.

by Anonymousreply 60August 29, 2020 7:34 PM

R58 This exactly! It’s laughable that anyone would think otherwise. Only a non business owner unfamiliar with his policies would make a comment like that. We are now seeing and feeling the immediate impact of his stupid decisions.

by Anonymousreply 61August 29, 2020 7:38 PM

Things would be much, much worse for NYC if Bloomberg or, God forbid, Giuliani were in charge.

by Anonymousreply 62August 29, 2020 7:45 PM

R62 it would be much much better.

by Anonymousreply 63August 29, 2020 7:49 PM

hey R55 i wonder why you neglected to mention quinn's role in getting emperor bloomberg his third term.

by Anonymousreply 64August 29, 2020 11:23 PM

So it will be like the 70's again. It was much more interesting with more interesting people then actually.

by Anonymousreply 65August 30, 2020 12:00 AM

Bloomberg had a plan in place to mitigate damage from the 2008 recession and was able to get economy back up and moving much faster. This clownface of a Mayor has no plan and continues to plunge the city into crippling debt with hotels for every homeless, when he could have set up a more basic cots, blankets and partition system in the Javits Center. It will take many additional years to come back from the disaster he has gotten us all into. What a libtard this guy is, just awful. Sorry to the smarter Dems out there.

by Anonymousreply 66August 30, 2020 12:11 AM

Where is AOC?

by Anonymousreply 67August 30, 2020 1:19 AM

NYC will come back, but in a different way.

by Anonymousreply 68August 30, 2020 1:38 AM

NEW YORK CITY — In Manhattan, where an apartment is typically gone in a New York minute, more than 13,000 units are sitting empty, according to a new report by Miller Samuel and real estate giant Douglas Elliman.

by Anonymousreply 69August 30, 2020 1:47 AM

R65, interesting as in crime-infested hellhole of squalor and perversion.

by Anonymousreply 70August 30, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote] NYC will come back, but in a different way.

Manhattan would be an excellent location for an island prison.

by Anonymousreply 71August 30, 2020 1:54 AM

R67 in Washington, where her job is.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 72August 30, 2020 2:10 AM

[quote] Manhattan would be an excellent location for an island prison.

Didn’t Kurt Russell make a movie along those lines back in the 80s? [italic]The Fox and the Snake[/italic], I think it was called.

by Anonymousreply 73August 30, 2020 2:29 AM

Fewer

Fewer

Fewer

Unless you mean Republicanism

by Anonymousreply 74August 30, 2020 3:29 AM

[quote]Where is AOC?

She's too busy accomplishing nothing in DC!

Are you seriously still looking to this cardboard progressive for decisive leadership and legislative acumen? Have you been dropped on your head?

by Anonymousreply 75August 30, 2020 3:33 AM

Keep in mind this article was published in Forbes, a magazine run by Steve Forbes, who licks Trump's shitter every chance he gets. It's in Forbes best interests to paint NYC as a hellscape, because they feel it helps Donny Two Scoops' re-election. While I'm sure the financial situation in NYC isn't great, it's been slanted in the worst possible light by this article.

by Anonymousreply 76August 30, 2020 3:49 AM

R73, Escape From New York. With Adrienne Barbecue

by Anonymousreply 77August 30, 2020 4:00 AM

people who get fired first are the ones with lots of complaints about them. Or programs that are not working, antiquated programs. If they are qualified and are in good standing, they can get rehired after Biden gets elected. We probably should get rid of everyone involved with Stop and Frisk. A program deemed unconstitutional and dangerous from the start.

People should be happy that Bill is Mayor and there to figure this out.

by Anonymousreply 78August 30, 2020 4:01 AM

Escape From New York is one movie that should be remade, it could definitely work.

by Anonymousreply 79August 30, 2020 4:05 AM

It's already playing out in real-time.

by Anonymousreply 80August 30, 2020 4:08 AM

Don't worry, R79, a remake is already in the works.

by Anonymousreply 81August 30, 2020 4:11 AM

So I guess all major cities will flounder. Since nobody needs to go to offices anymore, and crowds are to be avoided.

by Anonymousreply 82August 30, 2020 4:18 AM

NEVER remake EFNY. It was perfection as it is.

by Anonymousreply 83August 30, 2020 4:47 AM

EFNY could use a modern take with modern effects. The original looks very dated.

by Anonymousreply 84August 30, 2020 4:57 AM

R62 & R63 - Bloomberg is the reason why the city is in the shit position that's its in currently. The fact that NYC has to rely so heavily on tourists & rich people - two groups nowhere to be found in NYC during the pandemic - is squarely on him.

But also blame the voters who didn't bother to show up when Bloomberg ran for a third term. City and state elections have the worst turnout rates; its really embarrassing. And most of the folks that don't bother call themselves "progressive".

by Anonymousreply 85August 30, 2020 5:41 AM

At least Bloomberg was punctual and went to work early. 7am he was already on the subway to city hall (albeit driven by SUV to the station).

At 9am useless, lazy cunt BdB is still at the gym in Brooklyn. Of course, now with gyms closed...I don't know what the fuck he's doing but he's a lazy fucker.

by Anonymousreply 86August 30, 2020 5:45 AM

I would take Bloomberg back in a second - are you kidding me with this bullshit? De Blasio is incompetent, lazy, vindictive and hated by progressives and conservatives.

Bloomberg would have a plan. And he works hard.

I would honestly take 1990s Giuliani at this rate. At least he would have a plan for the crime spike.

De Blasio is running the city into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 87August 30, 2020 5:51 AM

[quote] He and de blasio were the worst people to ever have happened to NYC. Cities need republicans or moderates or at least one person from both parties not two democrats.

Crazy talk. NY-ers who lived through Pataki and Ghouliani would disagree.

by Anonymousreply 88August 30, 2020 5:51 AM

Due to union rules, the people laid off will be millennials who can least handle it. Entitled, lazy boomers who have barely done any work in 15 years and have been counting days until retirement will keep their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 89August 30, 2020 5:53 AM

[quote] especially one that represents "the American Dream"

lmao. The delusion is real.

by Anonymousreply 90August 30, 2020 6:00 AM

I work at Legal Aid. Two years ago, De Blasio became the first mayor to ever refuse to fund the increase in our insurance premiums. Bloomberg and Giuliani always did it without a question. We had a forum with De Blasio about the issue and he rolled in 45 minutes late, smirked the whole time and left.

Since taking office, he has also funded the District Attorney’s office with more money than Bloomberg ever did.

He’s a fake progressive. The worst.

by Anonymousreply 91August 30, 2020 6:01 AM

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

Everyone in NYC has been hearing BdeB moan on and about these layoffs for weeks now. What mayor is and has been doing is pushing the envelope of fear to get action out of Washington and Albany.

BdeB hoped Congress would pass Heroes Act or otherwise send billions in aid to state and local governments. That has not happened.... Neither is help coming from Albany where Cuomo has his own fiscal problems to worry about.

Meanwhile a new fiscal quarter for NYC starts on 1 October 2020, and if BdeB cannot close budget gap *one* of his options is mass layoffs of city employees.

By various local laws and rules NYC must give thirty days notice to civil servants before termination/layoff. Monday is end of August so in a sense mayor has no choice but to send out those 22k or whatever notices. It does not follow however by end of September all or any affected will be actually terminated. If city can raise the funds required, then whole exercise will be in part or all moot.

City has been lobbying Albany for permission to borrow billions. Something Cuomo and state government have been loathe to approve given NYC's notorious spending habits in past. Case in point city is still paying off loans taken out for 1970's fiscal crisis, and won't be finished until 2034.

Cuomo and others rightfully argue that borrowing will only tax future city residents who will be the ones stuck paying back debt including interest payments.

Keep in mind over course of current mayor's administration NYC's workforce has grown by 30k persons, so even laying off 22k still leaves a net surplus from prior to BdeB taking office. Mayor also has doled out generous compensation packages and raises along with a huge increase in other spending.

There are those who feel mayor has not done enough to curb spending which could result in closing if not eliminating current budget gap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 30, 2020 6:07 AM

Case in point:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 30, 2020 6:08 AM

Basically mayor is playing politics; but of his liberal/democrat progressive sort.

He's telling unions they are facing job losses because big bad Washington D.C. won't give city money, and neither will Albany. But yet he is or will not make serious cuts in vast amounts of spending on social and other projects that benefit those who put him into office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 30, 2020 6:12 AM

R28 oh give me a fucking break. You see where a “progressive” Mayor has gotten us. That doesn’t work in New York. You need someone who has their shit together. Someone like Cuomo would be running the city much better right now.

by Anonymousreply 95August 30, 2020 6:54 AM

Before the city is smooth enough for a technocrat like another Bloomberg there first will need to be another Giuliani to restore order. I'd expect one or two more Abe Beames or Davis Dinkins before they get to that.

by Anonymousreply 96August 30, 2020 7:33 AM

R89

While generally yes, last in first out dominates union jobs when layoffs happen, that does not mean everyone terminated will be "young".

Plenty of late to middle or even early middle aged persons took jobs with city agencies like DSNY; especially after the upheavals in private sector employment post 2008 recession. City jobs may not pay much compared to private, but they do have pretty good benefits including pension.

Anyway some agencies are looking to buyouts of those with seniority before layoffs within a department In fact many leaders of city unions are saying it makes sense to take some of the cream off top before letting younger/newer workers go. However OTOH things can go too far; you don't want a mass exodus of senior talent leaving just a bunch of newbies.

by Anonymousreply 97August 30, 2020 9:02 AM

R96

There won't be any detours through another Beame or Dinkins; next year either NYC will elect someone like Rudy G (or close enough in some areas), or another progressive idiot like what we've got now.

One name to watch isn't on may people's radar at the moment; former Obama HUD secretary Shaun Donovan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 30, 2020 9:07 AM

Hold me David. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 99August 30, 2020 9:09 AM

[quote]I was just there yesterday in my old neighborhood. People were shopping, dining outdoors, getting haircuts (every other salon seat was empty due to distancing).

LOL, how do you think those same restaurants are going to get through the winter? Will patrons be sitting outside in 30 degree weather? And salons are NOT doing alright at half capacity.

by Anonymousreply 100August 30, 2020 9:32 AM

Outdoor dining has been a "hit" with patrons, restaurant owners however have other things to say.

First and foremost many restaurants only able to accommodate a fraction of their total indoor seating capacity with outdoor. Many restaurants are only doing the thing because they got PPP loans, which means when those terms end places could and might just close.

Next restaurants once able to remain open long as they wished (but had to stop selling booze at 4AM, only can have outdoor seating until 11PM IIRC. By midnight places are cleaned up and closed.

In any event outdoor dining permits expire (again IIRC) end of October. Even if they don't restaurants are wondering what happens when cooler weather arrives with fall and winter. Outdoor heaters are an option, but expensive to buy, and costly to run.

If indoor dining isn't back on by November, say goodbye to many restaurants. Places have already lost Jewish high holy days business; and if cannot have Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season game will be largely over for many. On and obviously holiday party business of all sorts is gone as well.

Even if Cuomo and BdeB relent and allow indoor dining and bars; many may not survive winter season because much that brought people into Manhattan (Broadway, performing arts, clubs, etc.. ) are still shut. Broadway, Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall and other places aren't talking about coming back until January 2021 or later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 30, 2020 10:51 AM

R101 they’ve gotta get a plan for October/November if not sooner. It’s working perfectly well in CT and the rest of the state with proper distancing policies and no real increases. They’ve seen it work and really it’s absurd to put it off any longer unless they’re totally intent on destroying the city (which it certainly seems BdeB is ).

by Anonymousreply 102August 30, 2020 11:09 AM

R102, a resurgence in cases will destroy the city faster and more irreparably than anything else. And in case you didn't know, CT is a little bit different than NYC.

by Anonymousreply 103August 30, 2020 11:21 AM

DeBlasio is the perfect example for most Republicans to never vote for the Democrats. Is there some truth in this, yes. I want to like him, but am just disgusted by him, truly turned off and wish him gone.

by Anonymousreply 104August 30, 2020 12:02 PM

R103

Keep it up Boy in the Plastic Bubble; soon it will be just yourself and others like you left in city; then you'll have all the room you want for social distancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 30, 2020 12:02 PM

R105, place a plastic bag over your head and inhale deeply, you cunt. You have to be a moron not to realize that the city's economy will be destroyed if people start dropping like flies again.

by Anonymousreply 106August 30, 2020 12:05 PM

R104, I agree to some extent. He has kissed the ass of the NYPD for far too long, even when they attacked his own daughter. That signifies he's a pussy. Any self-respecting man would have exacted political vengeance on those doughnut eating punks.

by Anonymousreply 107August 30, 2020 12:07 PM

R106

Do the world a favor and go play on FDR Drive or Westside Highway, you miserable alte kakker.

by Anonymousreply 108August 30, 2020 12:15 PM

How do you like us now? Wish we were back?

by Anonymousreply 109August 30, 2020 12:25 PM

Who is going to pay for the obscenely massive price tag which goes up year after year to provide public housing, food stamps, medicaid and other govt benefits to more than a million NYers? Also, you have to count the inflow of people from other states who don't get a generous pay out of benefits and move to NYC to take part? If you push out the wealthy Mr. DeBlasio of course you will have to find the money elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 110August 30, 2020 1:39 PM

R69 Oh no what would poor Ryan Serhant need to do know to support his beard and baby?

by Anonymousreply 111August 30, 2020 1:58 PM

R111 OMG is Ryan gay? Any receipts or is this just wishful thinking. That pocket cutie from the earlier seasons Luis now he seems gay, but isn't he married to a woman these days? These Bravo shows keep everyone guessing it seems.

by Anonymousreply 112August 30, 2020 2:04 PM

Luis. Not married, but has children with the baby mama.

"Luis has not spoken about his relationship with Leela’s mother, Nikita, since last September, when he explained that they are not romantically involved, “for now.” He said that Nikita is “someone who is going to be a co-parent with me,” and it seems that the duo has done an amazing job so far."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 30, 2020 2:20 PM

Yes, he is R112.

by Anonymousreply 114August 30, 2020 2:26 PM

This is de blasio’s New York. Attempted rape on a Sunday morning with witnesses on the Upper East Side of a 25 year old woman by a stranger....

The NYPD is nowhere to be found because everyone protested the F out of them and they don’t seem to show up anymore.

To all your idiots protesting the police - what should happen in this situation? Should we be calling the social workers in to “diffuse the situation?” Is that your big plan with the abolition?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 30, 2020 3:06 PM

The small biz are suffering. They are not paying rent. I walk by the nail salons, barber shops, and they are not full, quite empty. I think many will close. Right now, they can't be evicted for not paying rent and many have not been. My friend's parents own a small building and there is a small hardware store at the ground level as tenant and that store hasn't paid rent since this virus started.

Many restaurants continue to close and bars as well.

by Anonymousreply 116August 30, 2020 3:24 PM

R115, you ignorant slut.

by Anonymousreply 117August 30, 2020 3:56 PM

Well, well, well, New Jersey is the desirable area for our Manhattanite friends. Rather amusing.

You all must come over for coffee sometime so we can get to know our new neighbors.

Do you ride?

by Anonymousreply 118August 30, 2020 4:03 PM

they absolutely bloated the NYC Health & Hospitals Corporation (the entity that runs the public health service) in order to implement the very expensive Epic EMR system. I believe it was about $200 million bucks for the system license and total cost of the project with all the hiring they needed to do was like $800 million and they’re not done yet. They can trim the IT in NYHHC and still manage.

by Anonymousreply 119August 30, 2020 4:08 PM

R115, Those poor protested against police. Do you think if they shot an unarmed person 47 times that'd make them feel better? Or maybe jam a broomstick up someone's butt?

by Anonymousreply 120August 30, 2020 4:12 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 30, 2020 4:14 PM

R120 This is who R115 is defending. Probably a Trumpster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 30, 2020 4:16 PM

And just FYI, out of those 300,000 complaints, only *9* officers were fired. This is a protection racket that R115 thinks people shouldn't be protesting against.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123August 30, 2020 4:18 PM

Lol r122 - yes I’m on trumpster. That’s always the response when you question anything about the protests.

And yet I would love to see you refuse to call 911 if you were assaulted or robbed or the victim of a felony sex assault where the perpetrator was violating your restraining order (Jacob Blake).

You’re the hypocrite - not me. But keep calling me a trumpster. Sure.

by Anonymousreply 124August 30, 2020 4:19 PM

[Quote] yes I’m on trumpster.

We don't really care about your fetish for fucking your fellow Trumpsters, thank you very much.

[Quote] That’s always the response when you question anything about the protests.

Not addressing the points made is what Trumpsters do when they have no legitimate retort.

[Quote] And yet I would love to see you refuse to call 911

I've never called 911 and never plan to. The police only make things worse.

[Quote] You’re the hypocrite - not me.

Sure Jan.

by Anonymousreply 125August 30, 2020 4:22 PM

R103 with proper social distancing policies and safety precautions it IS no different from CT. Not to mention Westchester, LI and the rest of the freaking states. They’ve had enough time (3 months already) to see how it works.

If you’re still too afraid feel free to stay home but it’s more than time.

by Anonymousreply 126August 30, 2020 4:58 PM

[quote]I've never called 911 and never plan to. The police only make things worse.

Well, those of us who've had someone on our property in the middle of the night are happy for 911 and the police.

by Anonymousreply 127August 30, 2020 5:05 PM

There will be a spike when school reopens...

NYU will be reopening for classes. you know there will be at least 100 cases from there alone.

by Anonymousreply 128August 30, 2020 5:17 PM

[Quote] Well, those of us who've had someone on our property in the middle of the night are happy for 911 and the police.

Breonna Taylor isn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 30, 2020 5:34 PM

"...As People Flee New York City In Droves"

IT'S TRUE!!! I took this photo from my apt window yesterday of people fleeing NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 30, 2020 5:43 PM

Here is the main reason they are fleeing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 30, 2020 5:48 PM

New York has never been the same since Liza left and moved to LA.

by Anonymousreply 132August 30, 2020 6:34 PM

We just can't lose Andy Cohen to LA. The city would truly end.

by Anonymousreply 133August 30, 2020 7:18 PM

"Well, those of us who've had someone on our property in the middle of the night are happy for 911 and the police."

Sucks to be you, no?

Was that someone on your property your rentboy who stole your wallet while you drifted off into Dreamland after he fucked you like you've never been fucked?

by Anonymousreply 134August 30, 2020 7:59 PM

From the NYT:

Since the pandemic began, the suburbs around New York City, from New Jersey to Westchester County to Connecticut to Long Island, have been experiencing enormous demand for homes of all prices, a surge that is unlike any in recent memory, according to officials, real estate agents and residents.

In July, there was a 44 percent increase in home sales for the suburban counties surrounding the city when compared with the previous year, according to Miller Samuel Real Estate Appraisers & Consultants. The increase was 112 percent in Westchester, just north of New York City, and 73 percent in Fairfield County, Conn., just over the state border.

At the same time, the number of properties sold in Manhattan plummeted 56 percent, according to Miller Samuel.

The suburban demand, driven in part by New York City residents who are able to work remotely while offices are closed, raises unsettling questions about how fast the city will be able to recover from the pandemic. It is an exodus that analysts say is reminiscent of the one that fueled the suburbanization of America in the second half of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 135August 30, 2020 8:25 PM

[quote]Was that someone on your property your rentboy who stole your wallet while you drifted off into Dreamland after he fucked you like you've never been fucked?

No, it was a couple of scumbags from Bridgeport who were prowling around looking for another house to hit. One of them had a gun. The cops showed up, caught them, and those two worthless pieces of shit went to jail.

by Anonymousreply 136August 30, 2020 9:22 PM

The mayor should first lay off his grifter wife and her lesbian cronies.

by Anonymousreply 137August 30, 2020 10:24 PM

A little learning is a dangerous thing, r11.

Let's just say that Pres. Ford came to care, with his not winning the next election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 30, 2020 10:38 PM

Gerald Ford did indeed lose the election, R138, but if you think it had anything to the NYC bankruptcy, you are truly an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 139August 30, 2020 11:05 PM

Who keeps posting the PEOPLE ARE FLEEING NYC stories? Is it Boris?

by Anonymousreply 140August 30, 2020 11:48 PM

R139, Yes we know, but fucking over NY surely did not help him either.

by Anonymousreply 141August 30, 2020 11:59 PM

Putin's Prince doesn't even want to live here after striving all his life to move out of Queens to Manhattan. The city is really a hellhole.

by Anonymousreply 142August 31, 2020 12:12 AM

Mayor Bill is a drama queen, he will probably end up laying off no more than 1500 people, not 22,000.

by Anonymousreply 143August 31, 2020 12:23 AM

Is De Blasio the worst mayor in living memory?

by Anonymousreply 144August 31, 2020 12:35 AM

Daytime rapist JOSE caught. By police, not social workers.

Jose Reyes was arrested by the NYPD's 23rd Precinct on Sunday. Authorities said they used the NYPD's facial recognition program, which matched an image of Reyes to a previous mugshot.

by Anonymousreply 145August 31, 2020 12:57 AM

New Yorkers NOT Fleeing NYC.

This was the line for tix outside The Met Museum today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 31, 2020 1:06 AM

Still love these white fools claiming they would NEVER EVER call the police if assaulted or robbed.

Gurls please.

by Anonymousreply 147August 31, 2020 1:07 AM

[quote]This was the line for tix outside The Met Museum today.

They all look like ferriners.

by Anonymousreply 148August 31, 2020 1:50 AM

[quote] EFNY could use a modern take with modern effects. The original looks very dated.

Why not remake ET while you’re at it? Or [italic]Citizen Kane[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 149August 31, 2020 2:02 AM

Yes Call the Social Workers Mayor DeBlasio when there is a rapist ramming his cock in some poor victim on the subway platform in the middle of the day! You are a fool and a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 150August 31, 2020 2:03 AM

Republicans are the reason why you do not have enough space for your family and why you live in a closet.

Why there is not space per person regulations or rent control.

They are also developing luxury, large apartments for the Russians and Chinese Oligarch, not for the American people. The Republicans sold the American people a long time ago. Now, the Republicans are the modern day Nazis, ripping children from their parents and community.

by Anonymousreply 151August 31, 2020 2:04 AM

r5 They'll run back to the suburbs while the already depressed PoC citizens will get decimated.

by Anonymousreply 152August 31, 2020 2:05 AM

I’ll gladly vote for the republican candidate for mayor next time. Enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 153August 31, 2020 2:17 AM

R153 if there’s one office in the entire country that should be held by a Republican (Or “Republican lite” as so many of you say) it’s Mayor of fucking New York City.

Enough dicking around.

by Anonymousreply 154August 31, 2020 2:26 AM

"This was the line for tix outside The Met Museum today."

The Met is strictly for tourists. No self-respecting New Yorker would ever think of lowering himself to go there.

by Anonymousreply 155August 31, 2020 11:38 AM

Stop snitching!

Rather than call the police, there should be a tribal council in the projects.

by Anonymousreply 156August 31, 2020 11:56 AM

I have a friend who works for NYC Office of Mgt and Budget and there is no plan to lay off that many city workers.....Mayor Bluffy McDouchebag knows this. There will be early retirements and a hiring freeze way before this happens.

by Anonymousreply 157August 31, 2020 12:12 PM

[quote]The Met is strictly for tourists. No self-respecting New Yorker would ever think of lowering himself to go there.

Please. NYers go there all the time. I used to live three blocks away from the Met and it was packed with people from the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 158August 31, 2020 5:11 PM

Yes confession: I’m a NYer who loves the Met. It’s my happy place.

by Anonymousreply 159August 31, 2020 7:48 PM

STFU, R155.

I've lived in NYC for 20 years and everyone I know goes to the Met.

by Anonymousreply 160August 31, 2020 8:30 PM

Ok, you girls can stand down for now; BdeB announced today layoffs are suspended until sometime in September in aid of getting permission to borrow money from Albany.

Unions have been working in background with Cuomo/Albany in hopes of thrashing something out that will lessen need for layoffs in whole or part. Things like offering early retirement or buyouts to more senior workers. They claim mayor was pulling rug from under their efforts with his layoff talk.

In whole thing is an uphill battle because neither Cuomo nor others like BdeB in Albany. Thought of allowing mayor of NYC to borrow billions with no strings attached and or plan where funds would go is an anathema upstate. It isn't helping BdeB hasn't personally gotten involved by going up to Albany and otherwise kissing rings to make things happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 31, 2020 9:17 PM

In other news today out of NYC, mayor has just thrown restaurants and bars under a bus; saying indoor dining etc... likely will not happen when, unless or until a covid-19 vaccine arrives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 31, 2020 9:20 PM

I'm a Boston marriage; which wasn't what many would think, well not at first anyway....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 31, 2020 9:28 PM

Excuse R163, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 164August 31, 2020 9:28 PM

Obviously not everyone is fleeing city in droves.

Home of late Ric Ocasek and his wife Paulina Porizkova has sold for $10 million. Sale is one of several contracts for luxury housing in past week or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165August 31, 2020 9:48 PM

I also question this "everyone's fleeing" narrative.

Four apartments in my East Village building became available on Aug. 1. They were all rented within two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 166August 31, 2020 10:13 PM

R166, was it at a lower rent than before?

by Anonymousreply 167August 31, 2020 10:22 PM

[quote] No self-respecting New Yorker would ever think of lowering himself to go there.

Tell that to Big Bird and Cookie Monster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 31, 2020 10:24 PM

Bill DeBlasio is a God among men. He is a true patriot. He loves America so much that he and his wife honeymooned in Communist Cuba in the 90s when nobody was allowed in. What a comrade.

by Anonymousreply 169August 31, 2020 11:52 PM

Cuba is an Island. It is very near the US. It is quite beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 170September 1, 2020 12:48 AM

That is what the DeBlasio's travel told them and off they went! They loved Cuba.

by Anonymousreply 171September 1, 2020 1:11 AM

R167, they weren't deeply discounted. Maybe $50 or $100 less a month.

I'm tracking this on Streeteasy because I'm hoping to negotiate a rent reduction. Not optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 172September 1, 2020 2:31 AM

R166 there was a good Reddit thread about negotiating rent reductions. I saved it for when my lease is up in the spring. Linking here in case it’s helpful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 1, 2020 3:32 AM

^^^ you have to wade through the comments but I found some of the suggestions helpful.

by Anonymousreply 174September 1, 2020 3:33 AM

In other news today out of NYC

A Manhattan judge became the latest victim of senseless city violence when she was cold-cocked by an apparent stranger on a Citi Bike while walking to work Monday, officials and law enforcement sources told The Post.

Criminal court Judge Phyllis Chu, 56, had just gotten off the Staten Island Ferry and was headed to her job at the downtown courthouse at 100 Centre St. around 9:40 a.m. when she was suddenly slugged in the jaw by a male cyclist at the corner of Wall and Water streets.

“With no words exchanged, a bicyclist riding in the opposite direction as the one she was walking in just punched her in the face and kept going,’’ Lucian Chalfen, spokesman for the city’s Office of Court Administration, told The Post.

The judge called the cops, and then canvassed the area with responding officers hunting for her attacker, to no avail, the courts rep said.

The suspect was described by sources as heavy-set and wearing a blue and green shirt. He was riding a Citi Bike, sources said.

---------------

That description seems oddly incomplete

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 1, 2020 4:33 AM

Any chance it wasn’t random given the cases she handles?

Otherwise Jesus Christ. Are things worse or they are just reporting them more?

by Anonymousreply 176September 1, 2020 4:48 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 2, 2020 2:57 AM

I can't sleep because of my prostate so I venture out to get a little knish and before I know it some schvartze is standing there with his "I need food" shmegegge. Then the damn schvartze starts rifling through my pockets, I'm schvitzing over here! I'm telling you, this city is going meshugge!

by Anonymousreply 178September 2, 2020 3:18 AM

[quote] Bill DeBlasio is a God among men. He is a true patriot. He loves America so much that he and his wife honeymooned in Communist Cuba in the 90s when nobody was allowed in. What a comrade.

Your point being?

by Anonymousreply 179September 2, 2020 3:25 AM

R178 ha ha ha haha ha! All of these words are on the list of the top 100 Yiddish words that every NYer needs to know, at least according to Billy Eichner.

by Anonymousreply 180September 2, 2020 11:28 AM

I was looking @ OP"s pic and thought, is that New York? The skyline sure has changed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 2, 2020 11:42 AM

Many buildings were laid off, R 181.

by Anonymousreply 182September 2, 2020 11:48 AM

“He will have to cut teachers, hospitals, police, first responders etc...”

Not cops. There are zero layoffs planned for the police dept. They are basically being asked to find “efficiencies” within the operational side of things. (I have family who work in city gov’t). NYC cops are protected. Now they get to sit around even more, doing nothing and making gobs of money (from tax payers) because they are so butthurt that people are calling them out for the racist pieces of shit they are. Talk about snowflakes!! They are such fucking entitled lazy pussies, it’s mind-blowing.

And so many shithead Trump/worshipping fanatics in this thread. Oy.

Like the 1/2 wits here who are insisting “people will just pay those taxes elsewhere”. Really? Does it hurt to be that stupid?

You do realize federal taxes come from blue collar and city workers, too, right? Not just wealthy bankers who can easily up and move.. And should huge tech and banking institutions relocate or go full remote ... those workers go live in areas with much lower tax obligations. Which means fewer taxes to federal programs that help racist Wal-mart workers in Ohio put food on their table.

That’s not counting the truly staggering loss of sales tax revenue. No tourists, no shopping, the closing of restaurants...Broadway for fucks sake. On that point. Sorry to inform those of you who mentioned that theater isn’t unique and can be experienced anywhere...that’s like saying theater in London isn’t unique and can be experienced anywhere.

Sorry to burst so many troll bubbles but the massive cumulative flow of federal tax dollars will not be just recreated in places like Boise, Idaho. That’s just stupid. This is why economists have said if cities like NYC or LA perish, they take the country with it.

But you’ll find that out soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 183September 2, 2020 12:39 PM

What NYC spends on hotels to keep homeless hidden away is obscene. This is money that just flows out the door. Money for cops is important and not one cop should be laid off. In fact we need a thousand more at a minimum. The crime rate in NYC is off the charts and money should be diverted from all the free give away programs to help bring safety back to the city. Working black, white and brown families deserve protection too, their lives matter. Such a mess NYC under DeBlasio, I am sure most agree, in fact, recent polling suggest that he is the worst mayor in modern times.

by Anonymousreply 184September 2, 2020 3:35 PM

Agreed R184. Crime is spiking every day. Someone was just shot and killed at 3pm yesterday in front of the Whole Foods in Harlem.

It’s out of hand. And De Blasio is doing jack shit to address it.

by Anonymousreply 185September 2, 2020 4:27 PM

Agreed R184. Crime is spiking every day. Someone was just shot and killed at 3pm yesterday in front of the Whole Foods in Harlem.

It’s out of hand. And De Blasio is doing jack shit to address it.

by Anonymousreply 186September 2, 2020 4:27 PM

"To address it," R186? He's addressing it by encouraging it, with bail "reform" and mass releases from Rikers.

by Anonymousreply 187September 2, 2020 5:11 PM

[quote] the Whole Foods in Harlem

The only Whole Foods in the chain with a full aisle devoted to menthol cigarettes

by Anonymousreply 188September 2, 2020 6:34 PM

jesus the fucking racists on this thread.

You alt-right fags know that the Republicans think youre disgusting right?

Unless you're rich.

And call me crazy but something tells me you trolls aint rich.

by Anonymousreply 189September 2, 2020 8:05 PM

The republicans might hate my faggy ass but they likely wouldn’t shoot me in front of Whole Foods in Harlem or try to rape me on a subway platform at 11am. And that’s what we are talking about here. Not the alt-right.

by Anonymousreply 190September 2, 2020 9:17 PM

This crap about Rep hating every gay is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 191September 2, 2020 9:32 PM

R189 alt right because we’re trashing B DeB? The Dems equally hate him. Get fucking real!

by Anonymousreply 192September 2, 2020 10:02 PM

R189, shut your homophobic ass the fuck up. If there were no non-white opposition to LGB equality, gay marriage and gay sex never would’ve been illegal.

by Anonymousreply 193September 2, 2020 10:32 PM

Hooray, the little park at the end of my block finally got a full cleaning today by the NYC Parks Dept. They needed a flatbed truck to move out a small household of junk brought in by the homeless and clean out all the trash that spilled everywhere. Hopefully the next clean up won't be in another 2 months. DeBlasio is worse than Trump in many ways. Too far ends of different political spectrums making life miserable for too many.

by Anonymousreply 194September 2, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote]The only Whole Foods in the chain with a full aisle devoted to menthol cigarettes

LOL! A friend and I were just talking about how you can judge a neighborhood by the empty cigarette packs you see on the ground. If the packs are Newport and Kool: RUN! GTFO as fast as you can.

by Anonymousreply 195September 2, 2020 11:57 PM

Seriously, so many small biz are gonna close, ever day, I read about how a biz that was around for 10 or 20 years are closing permanently. This cunt is clueless. The next mayor must be biz orientated.

Bring back indoor dining. Ffs!!

by Anonymousreply 196September 2, 2020 11:59 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 3, 2020 12:31 AM

The Bernies and AOCs will put you down for not feeling compassion for these people, most chose to be lazy and not study and depend on the govt for everything, the rest chose a life of drugs and other selfish habits which the far left want everyone else to feel for. No thanks to that. These people need to be moved out of areas populated by law abiding citizens who pay almost half of their income in taxes to give these people everything from food stamps to hotel rooms. Food banks are not good enough, they demand food stamps where they can shop wherever they want, just one example of why the system is so perverted these days. When AOC starts allowing them to camp out in her living room I will rethink my position on these people.

by Anonymousreply 198September 3, 2020 12:49 AM

R198:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199September 3, 2020 1:28 AM

Hey DeBlasio you piece of shit liberal retard, if you love the commies so much, why not get a secret police system in place like in your favorite spot CUBA and make the criminals disappear! Your buddy Castro would know how to do it. You have turned NYC into a cesspool of criminals and allow them to run the streets with impunity. You are a true fan favorite here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 3, 2020 8:36 PM

Deblasio is universally hated here but it takes a long time for NYC to learn from its mistakes. We will probably elect his crony Maya Wiley next, even though there’s a great option in Ray Micguire - more fiscally conservative, socially liberal. And he’s black! I hope he runs

by Anonymousreply 201September 3, 2020 9:04 PM

Maya Wily has more baggage than a Delta skycap..........................SORRY for the lame analogy. It has been a long day.

by Anonymousreply 202September 3, 2020 10:17 PM

Comrade DeBlasio and his Militant Lesbian wife chose to go to CUBA for their honeymoon and waxed euphoric on how wonderful things are there. They should be tarred and feathered in Foley Square as traitors to the USA! This is far left liberalism that should be repudiated and scorned. They both disgust me.

by Anonymousreply 203September 4, 2020 1:40 AM

I had to look up who ran for mayor in 2017 against de Blasio. It looks like NYC really blew it big time by not electing Nicole Malliotakis instead.

by Anonymousreply 204September 4, 2020 6:33 AM

R193 Rethugs hate your faggot ass and you still choose to be on their side you cunt!

by Anonymousreply 205September 4, 2020 6:39 AM

Moron at R11, the red states have only grown MORE dependent on blue states. How fucking stupid are you? Do you have any fucking idea how much money NYC alone provides to the federal govt, you POS.

by Anonymousreply 206September 4, 2020 6:40 AM

R204, she suuuuuucks.

by Anonymousreply 207September 4, 2020 6:40 AM

R204

NYC "blew it" not by failing to elect Nicole Malliotakis, but by not electing someone else to run as democrat besides BdeB.

Preet Bharara - declined

Shaun Donovan - declined

Tony Avella - withdrew

Richard Bashner - withdrew

And so it goes....

Mind you with term limits many likely decided to keep their powder dry for 2021 when mayor along with majority of city council and other elected offices are turfed out. Shaun Donovan by all accounts is going to run for mayor in 2021, and many sources say he has Mike Bloomberg as a backer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208September 4, 2020 7:59 AM

You have to choose from who is on the ballot. The better choice was Malliotakis.

by Anonymousreply 209September 4, 2020 8:07 AM

R181

Yes, it has, but that image shows lower Manhattan/Battery Park City area. Tall building in center is Freedom Tower/1 World Trade Center which replaces the two twin towers destroyed on 9/11/01. Not sure when the second tower is supposed to go up or be finished, if ever.

Dramatic as that sight is things are vastly different above 14th street on west side going north to mid-town west. From Chelsea up through Hell's Kitchen/Hudson Yards to about west 59th there is tons of new towers dotting skyline. Things are getting so crowded it is becoming difficult to pick out Empire State building...

When driving back into city from NJ on the New Jersey Turnpike have noticed the difference over past two or so decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210September 4, 2020 8:08 AM

This image shows NYC skyline from across North River in Weekhawken, NJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 4, 2020 8:12 AM

How many people need to sign a petition to get him out of office ASAP? Is it even possible or we stuck we this jive turkey for another 16 months?

by Anonymousreply 212September 4, 2020 11:00 AM

I fail to understand why governments are so focused on debt during recession. Better have more loans and temporarily more debt than laying off tons of people or not financially supporting those with no income. We all know that the economy relies heavily on people being able to spend money. This type of policy will make the recession take longer. The concept of people not wanting to get a job when they get financial support to me is a non discussion. There might be a small group but over time we’ve seen most people find to find a job and want to be independent.

All of this is not specific to the US btw. I hope Keynes’ economic model will be remembered for once during times like these.

by Anonymousreply 213September 4, 2020 11:13 AM

Shut your homophobic ass the fuck up, R205, or I will shut it for you permanently.

by Anonymousreply 214September 4, 2020 11:31 AM

You and you alone are the only one calling me anti-gay slurs, R205. The thug here is you, you, and you alone.

by Anonymousreply 215September 4, 2020 11:33 AM

DeBlasio really defines the word FECKLESS.

by Anonymousreply 216September 4, 2020 1:30 PM

R213

New York State and New York City like nearly every other state or local government in USA via their constitutions or charters mandate balanced annual budgets. Federal government is pretty much alone (though there maybe a small number of states, IDK), who can run fiscal deficits.

Moreover as per same instruments (constitutions or charters) state or local governments are also limited in how much debt they can run up (borrow) without usually going to voters in form of a referendum.

In case of City of New York due to fiscal issues that brought about 1970's near bankruptcy much of its fiscal monitoring or whatever was taken away, handled by NYS or various assigned entities. Simply put NYC had or has a long history of borrowing huge sums (that often in past were misused, wasted, abused, gone into graft...). So no one in Albany and or even Washington, D.C. trusts the city an inch when it comes to borrowing.

Keep in mind even before covid-19 both NYS and NYC were looking at fiscal deficits. Budgets for 2020 papered over these shortfalls way NY often does; accounting sleight of hand, moving money around, etc.. but that only went so far.

Simple truth is both NYS and NYC overall spend vast sums that often if not usually exceed revenues. Because both at state and local city level inhabitants and commercial enterprises in New York are already very heavily burdened by taxes, fees, surcharges and other levies there often is not much wiggle room.

Finally the other main issue with borrowing is that you are saddling future generations with debt (costs of paying off/servicing debts) for something they may not even get benefit. Debt acts as a tax, draining income that otherwise might go elsewhere.

BdeB wants to borrow about $10 billion to be paid back over thirty years. Odds are the mayor and anyone else fifty or older won't be around by then, but younger people and or those not yet born will still be stuck paying off that debt. This is if city pays it off on time. Back during 2008 recession IIRC city moved to refinance remaining debt from 1970's (which was due to be paid off in several years), so now it won't be done with until 2034 (again IIRC). As with all debt the longer you take to pay it off, the more you're paying in overall interest.

Sorry for being long winded, but there you are.... If anyone should run up deficits it should be federal government who can at the moment borrow at nearly nil to negative rates. That money should then be used to fund various "stimulus" packages. That is however an an, anathema to Mitch McConnell, and GOP who only care about deficits when it comes to aiding people in need. If it is for tax cuts that benefit one percent, that is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 217September 4, 2020 1:43 PM

R212

Leave BdeB where he is; am no fan but by city charter if mayor goes then public advocate takes over. Do you really want Jumaane Williams as mayor of NYC? I surely don't........

by Anonymousreply 218September 4, 2020 2:02 PM

Shit is about to hit the fan over indoor dining; Cuomo is now by passing the mayor and working with Corey Johnson (the man who wants BdeB's job next year).

Someone had better do something; restaurant group has filed lawsuits, PPP loan terms expire 1 October which means places that took money can lay off staff, and outdoor dining permits expire 31 October...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219September 4, 2020 7:31 PM

DeBlasio is a sociopath. He is the far left version of Donald Trump. He is not capable of feeling the pain of middle class taxpayers. He feels nothing when giving away people's hard earned money to people who refuse to act responsibly and are not willing to work. He thinks of himself as a Robin Hood of Reparations.

by Anonymousreply 220September 4, 2020 11:12 PM

Agreed, R220, and since he was RE-elected with an overwhelming majority of the vote, it's clear that most of my fellow NYers are either fellow sociopaths or sociopath sympathizers. As a native NYer, I'm disgusted to know I'm surrounded by these De Blasio fans who couldn't wait to re-elect him. Fuck this city. I don't see a future for myself here.

by Anonymousreply 221September 4, 2020 11:17 PM

I voted for DeBlasio the first time but not the second (didn't vote). I was absolutely suckered in by those commercials of the nice mixed family with the 2 teenagers. Dante had a fro the size of a basketball. They were all too sweet and nice, plus Anthony Weiner was a perv and left me no other choice. Today, I wish Dante would just take his weird ass parents out of NYC and leave us to pick up the pieces.

by Anonymousreply 222September 4, 2020 11:23 PM

Yes, such a nice family. His heartless grifter wife and their lovely daughter, Chiara. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223September 5, 2020 12:09 AM

New Yawk

by Anonymousreply 224September 5, 2020 1:14 AM

Thanks for weighing in, R224.

by Anonymousreply 225September 5, 2020 1:17 AM

Fucking with BdeB is Cuomo's life work at this point. Anything the governor can do to mess with mayor of NYC is fair game at this point.

Albany already has vast control (input, say, whatever) over much of what happens in NYC government. For all intents and purposes Cuomo is running NYC atm. That being said this giant pissing contest between NYS governor and NYC mayor is doing inhabitants of city no good at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 5, 2020 10:06 AM

R221

Get over yourself; BdeB won 2017 election with < 10% (8.5% to be exact) of eligible voters bothering to cast ballots. Yes, it was 66% of total votes, but hardly some sort of landslide with corresponding mandate.

Problem has been building for years; voter apathy in NYC is a huge and growing problem at least where local city and state elections are concerned. It is how until recently with advent of AOC and her ilk elected officials were able to remain in office for decades.

New Yorkers run their mouths about city government 364 days each year. Yet somehow on the one day they can actually cause change, many to most have better things to do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227September 5, 2020 10:33 AM

E46 who will do the hard work then?

by Anonymousreply 228September 5, 2020 10:57 AM

R227 you’re absolutely right, and I don’t know why so few votes. Quinn would have been a much better choice but by then people were annoyed by the “Nanny Mayor” and associated her with Bloomberg. So short sighted.

by Anonymousreply 229September 6, 2020 12:30 AM

Two things did Quinn in; her aiding Bloomberg in is illegal third term grab; and the closing of Saint Vincent's hospital in Greenwich Village. There was more, much more including that federal criminal investigation, but overall the two mentioned cemented people's feelings about Christine Quinn.

Christine Quinn is a product of (last gasps) of old school Manhattan democrat political machine. She couldn't even get a job after leaving office without Cuomo or someone else in government with connections.

by Anonymousreply 230September 6, 2020 12:45 AM

Malliotakis is your typical pro police, racist, Trump blowhard white girl from Staten Island. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 231September 6, 2020 2:08 AM

R227 - Voter apathy still exists even with AOC. She won her district with a 5% turnout rate. Yes, AOC & her ilk are turning out voters during the primaries to beat the incumbent. But the amount of votes it takes to beat an incumbent are still abysmal. The reason why the turnout in the primaries was high this year was due to the presidential election. But even that turnout was about 25%.

by Anonymousreply 232September 6, 2020 2:15 AM

They do say people deserve the government they vote for; in NYC and even NYS case that could be flipped around to government they don't vote into office.

by Anonymousreply 233September 6, 2020 2:24 AM

NYC does need more outdoor dinning spaces. AND ALSO, more green spaces for this. More American cities need this. You know, it rains and snows in Europe and they love al fresco dinning. The rich and the posers can't get over the al fresco experience in Europe. It's nice. We need this.

Who the fuck does not want this? I hate you. And you lying.

Love Mayor Bill de Blasio and his ideas (aka urban planning).

by Anonymousreply 234September 6, 2020 2:34 AM

European cities were or are largely designed far differently than NYC, especially Manhattan. We don't have endless wide plazas and other areas for outdoor dining from restaurants to expand into. Nor can huge swaths of major avenues or even side streets be totally closed to traffic in facilitation of that effort.

As it stands now restaurants have taken over not just sidewalk in front of their establishment, but anything adjacent stretching several lots in either direction if possible. That and curbside and street (gutter) space as well. How much more GD space to you want to allot? City has closed off many side streets at least on weekends to make more room, but there are natural limits.

It isn't just car and truck traffic either. Navigating Manhattan and other crowded city sidewalks was already difficult with just regular outdoor seating. Now you have it on either side of a narrow walkway, with customers and staff treating that strip as part of restaurant as well. People cannot get through! Previously you could walk around (in gutter), but now that's no longer largely possible either (see above).

by Anonymousreply 235September 6, 2020 2:49 AM

They polluted the river. How stupid are new yorkers compared to europeans that have rivers and canals. Back Bill De Blasio, and they city might have a chance to be an elegant and timeless city. outside cafe areas, nice. Multiple floor fast food joints like Mcdonalds or buba shrimp, not.

by Anonymousreply 236September 6, 2020 6:04 AM

Is de blasio suddenly commenting on this thread?

Not one New Yorker I know supports him.

He’s a piece of sh*t.

by Anonymousreply 237September 6, 2020 2:53 PM

Hi, R236. You clearly are from somewhere else, so you should know we can't "back" BdeB, because he cannot run for another term.

Also, you should know that Europe is no longer in a position to brag about being the paragon of culture, civilization, and charm.

And no one here in NYC refers to "the river." There are three rivers here, dear.

by Anonymousreply 238September 6, 2020 2:58 PM

Three polluted rivers, sweet cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 239September 6, 2020 3:36 PM

DeBlasio if you are reading these comments, please resign and take your grifter Mrs. with you. Save your family from further embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 240September 6, 2020 4:29 PM

Mayor Bill De Blaso thank you for NOT being a racist and misogynist cunt like your predecessors are (Mike Bloomberg and Rudy giuliani.)

Thank You Mayor Bill De Blasio, for caring about the American People, and not being a Russian loving troll and Putin's Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 241September 6, 2020 4:34 PM

Hey, it's the Everyone is Boris™️ troll!

You know, we've just been chatting about you in another thread. You should join in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242September 6, 2020 4:37 PM

Oh, the irony, R241.

Presumably you don't realize that De Blahs honeymooned in Communist Cuba and recently stepped in it when he approvingly quoted the homophobic murderer Che Guevara.

Then you call his critics Russian stooges. My sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243September 6, 2020 4:41 PM

And here's Comrade De Blasio quoting Karl Marx.

Yet his critics here are the ones that get called Russian stooges. Y'all are off your meds again, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244September 6, 2020 4:46 PM

Cuba is a very beautiful island and is very close to the eastern coast of the US. The people are very friendly to tourists. There is plenty of tourism from Europe and Canada. It is a nice tropical island.

It not at all like going to North Korea or Saudi Arabia. If you go to China, you are monitored at all time, for certain. If you got to Russia, you could be taped in the hotel room.

Let start being factual with our statements.

by Anonymousreply 245September 6, 2020 4:49 PM

Karl Marx and Political Economic Theory is a solid theory. Follow the money. Follow Political Power. You probably use many cliches based off of Marx or Political Economic Theory in your daily social interactions with people, and in your case without even knowing it.

by Anonymousreply 246September 6, 2020 4:53 PM

Bill DeBlasio has BIG DICK FACE. This is the only possible way he can advance himself in politics if he pulls an Andrew Gillum and gets photographed high as a kite with a pink dildo in his ass and white powder dripping from his nose. He can then repent on Joy Reid's show.

by Anonymousreply 247September 6, 2020 10:24 PM

Nah, he’s just a big incompetent dick.

by Anonymousreply 248September 7, 2020 2:57 AM

Thank You Bill De Blasio for standing up to Trump and Bloomberg. Thank you for dismantling the Stop and Frisk Program.

Food, Education and Medical Care!

by Anonymousreply 249September 7, 2020 8:41 PM

Russian Trolls and Nazis despise Bill De Blasio because he is married to a black woman. Marring the person you love, having a family with the person you love, is so normal in a Democracy. This is a crime in Totalitarian, Kingdoms, Theocracies and Fascist Regimens.

Love First!

Protect Democracy!

Vote all republicans OUT of office for this!

by Anonymousreply 250September 7, 2020 8:48 PM

r250 everybody hates DeBlasio.

by Anonymousreply 251September 7, 2020 11:00 PM

Limited indoor dining starts 30 September, but with many restrictions.

Guess imminent legal action, threat of massive closures and other pressures lit a fire under behinds of Cuomo and BdeB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252September 9, 2020 6:55 PM

We tried to warn you, but none of you listened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253September 9, 2020 7:11 PM

People who enjoy see New Yorkers get their comeuppance love de Blasio.

by Anonymousreply 254September 9, 2020 8:07 PM

It all stems from Deblasio not having a relationship with his father.

It turned him into a bitter, feminized brat who barely qualifies as male.

by Anonymousreply 255September 9, 2020 8:10 PM

What do people think about the indoor dining news?

by Anonymousreply 256September 9, 2020 8:25 PM

"People who enjoy see New Yorkers get their comeuppance love de Blasio."

No, we are just confused as to why you constantly vote idiots into office.

by Anonymousreply 257September 9, 2020 8:33 PM

R256

News about indoor dining was just announced this afternoon. Don't think many will find out until later today or even week unless they themselves are going out tonight to dine.

West of Lexington things have been dead, but Third east to First, especially along Second streets are packed with outdoor dining, so any opening of indoor is likely to be welcomed news.

It is dark by around 730 p.m. now, and streets are far more crowded than they were back in April through August. We need sidewalks back so people not dining out can move about.

IMHO this was one of few sensible things BdeB and Cuomo have done recently. Outdoor dining expires 31 October, so doing indoor dining at end of this month gives thirty days to see if covid-19 rates or whatever spike. If not then it should be good to go increasing capacity if not removing limits all together by early November. That would be in time for all important Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year holiday season.

by Anonymousreply 258September 9, 2020 9:31 PM

BENSONHURST, Brooklyn (WABC) -- Two 13-year-old boys are under arrest for allegedly setting an 89-year-old woman on fire in Brooklyn.

The victim said the pair never spoke a word to her before slapping her in the face and setting her clothes ablaze on the night of July 14 in Bensonhurst.

The victim told Eyewitness News she had just left her home when the two approached her near 16th Avenue and 77th Street. She said one of them struck her in the face, and then moments later she felt a sharp pain on her back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259September 10, 2020 4:51 AM

[quote] Two 13-year-old boys are under arrest for allegedly setting an 89-year-old woman on fire in Brooklyn.

There are so many news stories about elderly people being brutally attacked in NYC. I assume they don’t have the means to move away, so they stay even though they don’t have the ability to defend themselves against the frequent street violence.

by Anonymousreply 260September 10, 2020 6:13 AM

A group of Brooklyn firefighters chased down a bike-riding goon who slugged a woman near their firehouse — then held him until cops showed up and busted the man, according to authorities and wild surveillance videos.

Footage posted on Instagram shows Daniel Biggs, 53, pedal up behind the unsuspecting 60-year-old woman and punch her in the mouth around 5 p.m. Aug. 26, knocking the victim to the ground at the corner of Haycock Street and Lewis Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Suddenly, four smoke-eaters from Engine 214/Ladder 111 near the intersection are seen dashing after the brute, chasing him halfway down the block and tackling him to the ground, where they held him until police arrived.

The video shows police escorting Biggs away in handcuffs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261September 10, 2020 6:16 AM

NYT covers the gay angle......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262September 10, 2020 12:32 PM

R262 Place your bets girls, how long do you think it'll be before that lovely couple gets hate crimed?

by Anonymousreply 263September 10, 2020 1:22 PM

a is shitting all over this thread R46

She should wash her stinky Puerto Rican ass if she wants more white dick.

by Anonymousreply 264September 10, 2020 2:27 PM

a aka NativeNYer is obsessed with hot white men, who will never ever fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 265September 10, 2020 2:44 PM

NYT cracks me up with these sort of articles. They always go off into various and explicit details breaking down gay couples/families as if people can't figure things out or in some cases even care.

Is it necessary to point out one partner now uses his spouse's surname? Supposed they could go with née or rather né, but still.

It just always seems as if they are trying to fill out these pieces with extra bits of information to stretch out articles.

by Anonymousreply 266September 10, 2020 3:02 PM

R263

Couple left Long Island for an apartment in Brooklyn, please keep up.

Just where do you think two white (or rather one white an another adjacent) gay guys are going to get hate "crimed" in Brooklyn?

Greenwood, Gowanus, and Park Slope aren't East New York. They and the four dogs will do just fine wherever they end up.

Still article was a bit silly. The American didn't know you need a car in the suburbs? He truly didn't realize that unlike Manhattan or whatever in city you just can't often walk out to corner and get milk at 2 in morning or even afternoon?

by Anonymousreply 267September 10, 2020 3:10 PM

The fire setting teens that hate crimes the elderly Asian woman in Brooklyn are white

by Anonymousreply 268September 10, 2020 3:16 PM

[quote]The American didn't know you need a car in the suburbs? He truly didn't realize that unlike Manhattan or whatever in city you just can't often walk out to corner and get milk at 2 in morning or even afternoon?

Yeah that was weird. Even NYers who have lived in the city their whole lives know that you need a car in the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 269September 10, 2020 5:36 PM

From CNN:

The number of vacant apartments in Manhattan climbed to a record 15,025 in August, as the fallout from the coronavirus pandemic continued to prompt more people to leave the city.

The borough's vacancy rate rose above 5% for the first time, according to a report from real estate firm Douglas Elliman and appraiser Miller Samuel. It was the highest level in the report's 14-year history, during which Manhattan's vacancy rate has fluctuated between 1.5% and 2.5%. Over the past four months, the rate has made a steady and steep rise hitting a record each month.

"In Manhattan, because of Covid, renters are looking to go to the outer boroughs to get more for their rental dollar if they are staying in the city," said Jonathan Miller, president of Miller Samuel. "Other would-be renters in Manhattan are [now] the first-time buyers in the suburbs."

As a result, there were 24% fewer leases signed in August than a year ago, with a 166% increase in listings available to rent. And the median rent for all apartments, at $3,363 a month, was 4% lower than a year ago. Miller said the virus has caused renters to question the value of the high cost of living in Manhattan.

"Over the past few years, we've passed the affordability threshold," Miller said. "With the loss of the ability to comfortably use all the amenities that characterize living in a city -- restaurants, retail, bars, all the cultural events that were at your beck and call as a resident of Manhattan -- people are questioning it. Those were the salve on affordability."

by Anonymousreply 270September 10, 2020 7:39 PM

Cuomo is today saying he will raise taxes even further on the "wealthy" if Washington doesn't pay the bills for him. That will push out a bunch more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271September 10, 2020 7:46 PM

That’ll show em!

by Anonymousreply 272September 10, 2020 7:47 PM

When a studio is 700. a month I will move to Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 273September 10, 2020 7:50 PM

If cuomo is smart, he'll put it on lux apartments and sales. Then, he'll have the realtors, developers and the wealthy telling trump to give cuomo the money. He should also raise the tax on non Americans, who are out of the country. You know the spawn of dictators.

by Anonymousreply 274September 10, 2020 8:20 PM

How does going to the summer home in the Hamptons help these NYers avoid a tax increase? It is the same state. If you are able to sell, then the new owners have to pay the tax. All blue states are going to be doing this too.

Where are you going to Alabama? Good let the Republicans gays go to Alabama. Let them clean up that state first.

by Anonymousreply 275September 10, 2020 8:26 PM

R273

Don't call us, we'll call you!

NYC rental vacancy rates may have reached all time historical levels, but rents aren't going down by huge percentages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276September 11, 2020 12:56 AM

R275

Because both City of New York, and New York State both are facing huge deficits not just this year, but coming fiscal years (expected) as well.

If wealthy leave NYC and manage to successfully change residence for tax purposes, city will lose that income. State will still be able to collect, this often even if people move totally out of NYS. For tax purposes simply moving house to another place does not make it easy to escape NYS taxes.

The other big thing is quite simply better off households spend more money than lower/poor; and that activity generates tons of income/revenue for city and residents. Everything from buying things (homes, clothing, whatever) to services employed and or service providers.

Things have not changed much since "Upstairs/Downstairs" days; upper income households still employ staff (nannies, cooks, maids, cleaners, laundresses, child minders, pet sitters/walkers, etc...) or employ persons or businesses that provide such services.

by Anonymousreply 277September 11, 2020 4:06 AM

R275

NYS already levies a bizarre and bewildering array of taxes, fees, and surcharges on residential and commercial real estate. But in case you are ignorant of certain facts allow me to bring you up to speed.

High taxation or whatever on RE acts to depress prices and property values. People pay far more than they should for single to three family homes in NYC because tax rates are on average far lower than they should be otherwise. Ditto for many co-ops or condo apartments.

To compensate for these low taxes city overlays a personal income tax and a vast array of fees and surcharges to bring in more revenue.

OTOH you can go to areas of NJ, West Chester and LI where you get far more property for same prices in areas of NYC, but you also will pay higher property taxes.

Upper income households crunch the numbers and often reach conclusion suburbs offer better value for money than owning home in city. Yes, you pay higher taxes in burbs; but in exchange you get great to excellent schools, hospitals, and other amenities. In case of k-12 education local public schools are great so you don't have the hassle of dealing with horrible NYC school system, or expense of sending your children to private.

by Anonymousreply 278September 11, 2020 4:27 AM

Why aren’t the rents going down though? WTF?

Can someone explain this? Landlords would rather the apartments stay vacant than lower the rent?

by Anonymousreply 279September 11, 2020 4:43 AM

R279

There are many reasons....

First many LL's have debt, especially when apartments are part of new construction. Those units were built on specs assigning a certain dollar amount of rent per square foot. That is what underlying debt was calculated upon building receiving in order to pay off loans. If LL's change legal asking rent to far below that number, they may never get it back up or above. That could lead to a downward spiral making building unable to pay off debt.

Nearly all market rate landlords would rather give something that doesn't touch legal asking rent much, but otherwise has value. One, two, three or whatever free months rent, waiving broker's fees, one or whatever months fees waived for gym or other amenity use, things like that.

Anyone selling anything uses pretty much same tactics. Even whores (if they are smart) would rather give an extra bit of time instead of lowering hourly or whatever rate. This is for same reasons LLs won't lower asking rent; next time person comes around they will want same (or less) rate, not the normal price which can be seen as a huge increase. If you're the person on top you always want to haggle price up, not down....

Then you have fact no one is entirely sure how long this pandemic panic will last. No one wants to rent for less money (and thus be saddled with a tenant for a year, two or longer) when there is a possibility market will come back in a few or several months.

by Anonymousreply 280September 11, 2020 5:02 AM

Another one bites the dust; Century 21 files for bankruptcy, will close all locations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281September 11, 2020 6:45 AM

Annual Greenwich Village Halloween parade is cancelled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282September 11, 2020 6:47 AM

WFH is over; JP Morgan Chase orders senior traders to restaff offices by 21 September.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283September 11, 2020 6:50 AM

R272

Unless you luck out and get one of those low income/affordable new construction apartments, you wouldn't want anything that rents for $700 per month in NYC.

Know either personally or of people living in well below market rate rentals. Most are rent stabilized but some are rent controlled, and nearly all to some extent are hovels. Paint/plaster peeling, appliances and bathrooms that haven't been updated in decades... At best you could say is these apartments are in city and rent is cheap, especially if located in Manhattan below say 125th street. That is fine far as things go but at some point a grown person wants more.

These units also are located in buildings that aren't so great in terms of common areas unless a majority of units have been flipped to market rate. Then to make those feeling better about paying $2500 or more a month to live in a five or six floor walk-up tenement LL has put some money into the building.

Good friend lives in a decent sized studio on UES with rent of about $1100 (which is considered cheap). His kitchen looks like who did it and ran from 1950's. Living room ceiling has water damage due to AC in above apartment leaking. Building has wall unit air conditioners and it is obvious the sleeve for unit above needs replacing. Super flat out stated LL won't do it because entire brick work would have to be redone after removing current sleeve and replacing. So they send someone to paint/patch up area that is damaged (making a huge mess that tenant has to clean up), but a few summers later things are right back again.

Complain? Every LL of below market rate apartment has same answer; "if you don't like conditions of building, move...". Long as they do just required minimum under the law there isn't any other recourse.

Fridge or other appliance breaks down? Market rate tenants (or at least those paying much higher rent) get brand new appliances, often at no extra increase to rent. OTOH the below market rent tenants get some second hand used unit from another apartment, storage or various companies that supply used appliances to landlords. If they do give a new appliance it usually is scratch and dent; and even then it will be the cheapest most basic model available. Only way to get something brand new and perhaps a better model is to agree and pay via an increase in rent.

Oh and don't get me started on fact that such a cheap apartment likely will be in an old building, so you'll be dealing off and on (hopefully) with various vermin issues; mice, roaches, etc... Yes, LL when informed will send an exterminator, but again because these are old buildings unless problem seriously addressed roaches and mice at least just move from apartment to apartment, but are still in the building somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 284September 11, 2020 7:14 AM

Maybe New Yorkers will wise up and lay him off when he’s up for re-election.

by Anonymousreply 285September 11, 2020 7:31 AM

For the last time, BdeB along with most citywide elected officials are term limited out in 2021; they cannot run again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286September 11, 2020 8:32 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287September 11, 2020 8:33 AM

BdeB has spent the past seven years in office basically telling the wealthy and business leaders to fuck off; he was here for the poor, POC, downtrodden, etc.. Thus he is one of first mayors in decades with no close ties to NYC's business community. Something every mayor including Koch, Dinkins, Giuliani and of course Bloomberg didn't allow to happen.

Mr. Dimon's JP Morgan Chase ordering return of some employees to in office work may be a sign of a business leader saying "it's time" to get NYC back to work. But unless or until that happens with many more companies city will not remotely begin to function anywhere near what it did before covid-19.

Quite honestly BdeB is a man without a country atm. No one likes him, and that is hurting efforts to get city back on its feet.

by Anonymousreply 288September 11, 2020 8:45 AM

[quote] Heads of 160 major corporations including Macy's, Goldman Sachs and Lyft demand the mayor crack down on crime and improve quality of life so residents who have fled in droves will return

These CEOs support people like de Blasio because of idealistic fantasies. They won’t accept that economic downturn and increasing crime are the inevitable result of political views like de Blasio’s. If they want prosperity and safety, they need to support low taxes, lean government and strong law enforcement.

by Anonymousreply 289September 11, 2020 2:25 PM

R280 thank you. The whore analogy is actually helpful lol.

by Anonymousreply 290September 11, 2020 3:29 PM

He’s one of those people that not only is stupid, but looks stupid.

by Anonymousreply 291September 11, 2020 3:38 PM

We're not getting somewhat of a clearer picture of NYC real estate market; and contrary to popular belief not everyone is fleeing NYC. Yes, they are moving out of Manhattan, but things are more about wealth and density right now. People who can afford to buy or pay market rate rents are choosing new developments and other housing options often in outer boroughs over Manhattan.

Like that gay couple above, people are antsy about living in crammed close quarters of densely packed Manhattan atm; but aren't totally willing nor want to sacrifice all city offers for the suburbs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292September 12, 2020 4:17 AM

Such bullshit about the demand for houses. The last two houses that sold in my neighborhood before my neighbors put theirs up for sale sold for $1.35M. My neighbors house - which was in very good shape - languished for over a year before being bought for $989k. True, it didn’t have a pool, but since when does a pool cost over $360k? That’s a pretty steep drop on price from ten other two houses.

Zillow had my house worth between $1.7-1.8 M steadily for over 2 years. Now it’s worth $1.3M. I live in the Hamptons. Prices are DOWN. Nobody is snapping up houses sight unseen. It’s all bullshit. There’s a glut of houses here.

by Anonymousreply 293September 12, 2020 8:59 PM

I heard rich people are moving out of New York.

Also, there is a mass exodus of RICH people from red states to blue states to avoid getting sick and hospitalized in Texas, Florida and the Southern States. You have to have cash or high equity to do this. If this trend continues, the market is going to tank in the red states.

by Anonymousreply 294September 12, 2020 9:45 PM

[quote]Also, there is a mass exodus of RICH people from red states to blue states to avoid getting sick and hospitalized in Texas, Florida and the Southern States.

What happens outside the gates doesn't affect them. They're smart to stay in a place with low taxes.

by Anonymousreply 295September 12, 2020 10:46 PM

NYCB has announced their fall season. They've gone all woke as will be featuring their first ballet choreographed by a woman of color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296September 12, 2020 10:54 PM

A digital season..... please. Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 297September 13, 2020 4:24 AM

"Zillow had my house worth between $1.7-1.8 M steadily for over 2 years. Now it’s worth $1.3M. I live in the Hamptons. Prices are DOWN. "

I'm a partner in a boutique real estate group on the north shore of Long Island (Nassau County). First ring suburbs like this are crazy-hot right now, not posh, 2nd home destinations like the Hamptons (luxury markets have been down going on 2 years now).

We just had a record 8 weeks. Highest number of closings I've ever seen. People are FLEEING to areas like this and bidding things UP. Sometimes as much as 20% over asking.

These are young, affluent families (obvi), mostly from Brooklyn. It's just insane.

by Anonymousreply 298September 15, 2020 11:25 PM

What chafes my ass, R298, is that these were the same assholes who couldn't wait to vote in the "compassionate" BdeB. You didn't need Miss Cleo to predict the results of inviting every homeless person in the country to live here, opening the jails up, and "reforming" bail.

These same assholes are the first to flee to the safe suburbs. Some of us actually grew up here and wanted to stay, but Mr & Mrs Hetero J. Progressive wrecked the place on their way to Long Island. I have no animus against you personally at all, but please tell Mr & Mrs Progressive for me that I hope they choke on a stray grass clipping while their Mexican maintenance guy mows their perfect lawn.

by Anonymousreply 299September 16, 2020 12:08 AM

Bill de Blasio’s City Hall rife with dysfunction, bombshell emails reveal

New York is beset by a surge in deadly shootings, homeless have taken over city blocks amid the coronavirus lockdown and officials cannot get schools back open, but City Hall is taking one thing seriously — arguing the racial sensitivity of a proclamation to commemorate women’s suffrage.

The nod to the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage was supposed to just be a “note” in Mayor Bill de Blasio’s daily coronavirus briefing, but it ended up triggering a meltdown among his staffers, emails obtained by The Post show.

The imbroglio is symptomatic of de Blasio’s often capricious and insular management style that sources describe as “emotionally, mentally and physically taxing” — and a major contributor to City Hall’s planning struggles and the exodus of administration staffers.

“It is amateur hour. It’s a bunch of people who have no idea how City Hall works running the show because everyone else has left,” said one former staffer. “There are a lot of sharp elbows, it’s very vicious and very personal — and it gets in the way of focusing on the work at hand.”

The talking points prepared for de Blasio’s briefing on Aug. 26 noted that segregation and other laws meant that “not all women could exercise that right” to vote following the formal adoption of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. “Women of color excluded – fought for decades for equal access,” it added.

At 9:49 a.m., 11 minutes before the briefing was scheduled to begin, the email chain exploded.

Ashley Ross-Teel, who runs City Hall’s social media accounts, demanded that the talking points explicitly point out that only white women initially gained access to the voting booth. And she criticized the talking points saying women of color were discriminated against, instead of singling out African American women.

“Sorry, but why wasn’t white women added when it was flagged by [women of color],” she wrote. “Also there is a growing negativity around incorporating Black women into WOC. Everyone’s struggles are not the same.”

Three minutes later, the author of the bullet points fired back.

“Because as a white woman, I find being negged for something that happened 100 years ago unnecessarily confrontational in this context,” wrote Marjorie Sweeney. “We’re trying to bring people together here, not trying to score points off each other.”

At least two other high-ranking de Blasio aides were pulled into the fight, offering last-minute suggestions that were signed off on by de Blasio’s recently hired $17,000-a-month special adviser, Peter Kauffmann at 10:03 am.

The briefing was already late.

De Blasio specifically referenced white women in his remarks that morning, but kept the initially proposed description of “women of color.”

“Not all women” could vote, he said, referencing the notes, which are kept in a small black binder. “Only white women — women of color excluded and they had to fight for many decades more.”

Afterward, his Chief of Staff Emma Wolfe chastised the staffers.

“This should never have been a debate, not the least of which over email,” Wolfe wrote, demanding the communications staff find a “more professional process” to haggle over their differences.

Three former administration staffers said the blow-up is a symptom of the departure of experienced top aides, which they attributed to de Blasio’s mercurial nature, the stress of the coronavirus pandemic and months of protests — including by his own staff — demanding police and civil rights reforms.

“He will just blow everything up on a whim and it’s a domino effect,” one ex-staffer said. “It leads to avoidable last-minute scrambles on everything” — from key policy decisions to the briefing notes.

In theory, the work that goes into assembling the binder for de Blasio’s briefings should be largely complete by the morning. But Hizzoner often demands last-minute rewrites for little reason right up until he walks into the briefing, another source said. That leaves everyone stressed and under-the-gun, leading to eruptions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300September 17, 2020 11:54 PM

“There are a lot of really smart and dedicated people at City Hall who love New York and he prevents them from doing their jobs effectively,” the person added. “It’s him, it lies at the top, it really does.”

The sources said the problems are particularly severe in the mayor’s press and communications departments, which de Blasio depends on to help vet and roll out policy in addition to the typical duties of drafting speeches and handling reporter inquiries.

The heads of both — former Press Secretary Freddi Goldstein and former Communications Director Wiley Norvell — quit on the same day in July without having lined up new jobs. Only Goldstein has been replaced so far.

“Infighting like this on an email chain, it’s an example of dysfunction and the unhappiness people are feeling,” added yet another person familiar.

De Blasio press secretary Bill Neidhardt responded, “Debating talking points is a basic function of all communications offices. That’s what you’re seeing here. In the end, the Mayor makes the call and he acknowledged our country’s painful history of denying women of color the right to vote.”

by Anonymousreply 301September 17, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote]In the end, the Mayor makes the call and he acknowledged our country’s painful history of denying women of color the right to vote.”

All that back and forth animosity for something that has already been forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 302September 18, 2020 12:32 AM

Metropolitan Opera will remain closed at least until autumn 2021!

Oh and they've joined the "inclusive" and "equality" bandwagon by commissioning new works by POC as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303September 24, 2020 1:40 AM

City to furlough 9k workers......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304September 24, 2020 2:00 AM

The Met will never come back in the capacity it was in the past. It will have to fundamentally change financially and artistically to stay alive. As will all of Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall. Contracts and fees will be cut in half, or more. Unions will collapse and be abolished. San Francisco Opera just agreed to a 50% reduction of salary for its orchestra and chorus. The same will happen at the Met, possibly worse.

by Anonymousreply 305September 24, 2020 2:08 AM

Hopefully WHEN it bounces back, Times Square will be more like it was pre-90’s.

by Anonymousreply 306September 24, 2020 3:41 AM

[quote] Oh and they've joined the "inclusive" and "equality" bandwagon by commissioning new works by POC as well.

It might be fun watching the society types pretending to be bedazzled by the The Drug Dealer of Seville.

by Anonymousreply 307September 24, 2020 4:16 AM

MET has been waging a war to consistently and profitably fill seats in that big old barn of a place for a decade or more.

Remember back in 1990's so many operas were totally sold out by subscription. Older opera queens informed me that this was case going back to 1960's; but that's all over it seems.

Besides boomers dying out (the last gasp of reliable audience base for live performing arts), you just don't have opera singers with same sort of drawing power as in past. Sills, Pavarotti, Callas, and many others would have people camping out overnight on streets to get tickets.

If the MET is going to survive everyone knows what must happen; it needs a smaller house, something more suited to audience levels of today and future.

When conceived/built back in 1950's and 1960's USA emerged from WWII as world's superpower and in keeping with that theme everything had to be bigger and better. New Metropolitan Opera house is largest in the world with 3,800 seats. To be fair old Metropolitan opera house on Broadway between 39th and 40th had 3,625 seats including about 230 standing room.

In contrast most opera houses in Europe are around 2,700 (Opera Bastille), Royal Opera House Covent Garden has 2,256 seats, and these fall at larger end but still are more manageable than nearly 4,000 of MET.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308September 24, 2020 5:58 AM

"Unions will collapse and be abolished. "

Roiiight. The UFT, one of the most powerful unions in the country, is just going to...disappear! And the police union! And firefighters!

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 309September 24, 2020 7:02 PM

In other NYC news today Corey Johnson has dropped out of the not yet begun race for mayor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 24, 2020 11:11 PM

Can't really blame a man for not wanting to clean up de Blasio's mess. The Aegean Stables were hygienic by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 311September 24, 2020 11:18 PM

As speaker of city council Corey Johnson aided and abetted many of the policies that have lead to current NYC woes.

Leaving aside mental or whatever health reasons Corey Johnson prior to today's announcement was just as liberal, progressive, left democrat as BdeB; obviously that isn't working out as some have thought, and is going to be a tough spot come 2021 if things don't turn around by then.

Promising great unwashed all sorts of things as their rightful due was one thing when city was rolling in cash, but that has all changed.

by Anonymousreply 312September 24, 2020 11:25 PM

NYT has more in depth piece on Corey Johnson.... she sounds like one fragile hot house orchid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313September 24, 2020 11:29 PM

Latest lunacy from BdeB

Outdoor dining made permanent and year round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314September 26, 2020 1:29 AM

Donna and her son Blayne waiting for their table to be cleared off before they have lunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315September 26, 2020 12:08 PM

If only!

We haven't had a good winter with prolonged cold (or freezing) temperatures much less major snow in years.

For past several years winters in NYC have been rather warm on average. What cold does arrive isn't around long; a week or so here, few days there, then back to warmish temps again.

One has suspicions BdeB made this outdoor dining all year announcement buying into thanks to climate change NYC won't have severe winters any longer. The transplants and others behind this lunacy are now saying the most stupid things like "now people won't have to go to Paris for outdoor dining in winter or spring....".

by Anonymousreply 316September 26, 2020 9:26 PM

outdoor dinning is nice, very chic. People eat outdoors, while snow skiing all the time.

In a blizzard, is anyone going to go out to eat? No. This is the other program, delivery services when safe.

I mean really.

by Anonymousreply 317September 27, 2020 2:05 AM

De Blasio has nothing to do with the residential building code or work place arrangements. The Factors that effect the spread of a respiratory virus like Covid-19. Bloomberg does, also corporations.

GO after the people who though it was fine for people to live in closets, limited access to water and no money for cleaning supplies, no medical care, etc.

At work the corporations that made you seat and meet to close to your work colleagues, share equipment, limited access to water, sanitation and cleaning supplies.

The Republicans that keep taxes LOW. So there are not the medical and water and sanitation services. Also, the Republicans are against oversight, science and medicine.

Vote all Republicans OUT of Office. And fix these policies.

by Anonymousreply 318September 27, 2020 2:21 AM

De B loves outdoor dining because he has an obsessive hatred of cars and car ownership, and this makes parking even more impossible (though not for the rich, of course, who use garages or have their own garage in their house). Unfortunately, it also messes with bus traffic. But it's not like he cares if some old poors have a harder time getting around. Who do they think they are, anyway? The important thing is to exert authority in erratic and nonsensical ways, and always fuck with car owners.

by Anonymousreply 319September 27, 2020 10:54 AM

I was talking about the arts unions R309, you stupid fuck.

by Anonymousreply 320September 27, 2020 11:02 AM

Omg, DL finally woke up and started redtagging these stupid trolls.

by Anonymousreply 321September 27, 2020 11:11 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322September 28, 2020 2:44 AM

De Blasio’s staff can no longer stop him making complete fool of himself

Mayor de Blasio plainly thought he was going to show bold, forward-looking leadership last Thursday — but all he ended up demonstrating is that he no longer has any advisers able (or willing) to stop him from making a fool of himself.

He used the launch of a city COVID-19 testing lab as the pretext for a rare in-person press conference, where he made a big deal of presenting his “vision” for the city’s recovery from the pandemic and lockdowns.

Yet he didn’t offer more than a few vague principles — even though he announced the start of recovery planning months ago, making a big deal of setting up various advisory panels to start thinking things through then.

Reporters across the spectrum quickly pointed this out — whereupon Hizzoner fled the podium, leaving journalists lined up with more questions poised.

His la-de-da “four core principles” are trivial boilerplate: continue to fight back against the virus, invest in “innovation to make us a stronger hub for public health research,” create “high-quality jobs” and focus on underserved communities.

How about saving the jobs the city’s still losing? Making office workers feel safe returning? Reviving the city’s cultural life?

This, as he continues to make decisions off the cuff even about something as vital as getting schools reopened. After he made new concessions to the United Federation of Teachers last week without even talking to folks who have to run each school, the principals’ union came out for putting the public-school system in state receivership.

Either no one remains in de Blasio’s inner circle who can see that he was about to step on a rake, or those with any sense are too busy looking for their next job to bother saving him from himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323September 28, 2020 5:30 PM

Vote for Joe Biden. Vote All Republicans out of office for this.

Trump and the Republicans gutted the CDC, NIH and the pandemic task force. They did nothing about the pandemic when it started in China, then went to Italy. We have a high death rate, no intelligent evidence based response. Nothing is going to get better, until we get Trump and the Republicans out of power. They want the American people to die.

by Anonymousreply 324September 28, 2020 7:41 PM

The price tag for Mayor Bill de Blasio’s program to move homeless New Yorkers from barracks-like shelters to hotels to stop COVID-19 outbreaks now stands at $299 million, documents filed with the city comptroller show.

The initial program cost $78 million but only covered a fraction of the rooms and hotels that the city ended up needing as it closed down its usual congregate facilities, accounting for the dramatic increase in the contract’s size, officials said.

Officials said that the average room rate remains $120 a night and 63 hotels are currently under contract through the deal with the Hotel Association of New York City.

There are roughly 13,500 New Yorkers living in hotels right now, including the 10,000 of them moved in after the COVID outbreak.

----------------

Not sure if this includes the minibar charges

by Anonymousreply 325October 1, 2020 10:24 PM

FUCKING CUNTSSSSSSSS!!!

by Anonymousreply 326October 1, 2020 10:26 PM

Long term housing for people who have medical conditions is a GOOD thing. Also, we need to stabilize the housing market with programs to prevent elderly, sick and disable people from being thrown into the street in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 327October 2, 2020 2:49 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328October 7, 2020 5:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!