Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Apocalyptic scenario for NYC

I love NYC. When I first moved to NYC, it was a dream come true. Every corner was like a theater production happening right in front of me. So much personality, so many stories.

Every subculture I loved was in NYC. I could play chess all day and night. I could go to comedy clubs. I could start any type of business. I could meet people. I had family, friends, opportunities. No matter what happened to me, NYC was a net I could fall back on and bounce back up.

Now it’s completely dead.

“But NYC always always bounces back.” No. Not this time.

“But NYC is the center of the financial universe. Opportunities will flourish here again.” Not this time.

“NYC has experienced worse.” No it hasn’t.

A Facebook group formed a few weeks ago that was for people who were planning a move and wanted others to talk to and ask advice from. Within two or three days it had about 10,000 members.

Every day I see more and more posts, “I’ve been in NYC forever but I guess this time I have to say goodbye.” Every single day I see those posts. I’ve been screenshotting them for my scrapbook.

Three of the most important reasons to move to NYC:

Business opportunities

Culture

Food

And, of course, friends. But if everything I say below is even 1/10 of what I think, then there won’t be as many opportunities to make friends.

(Continued inside)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260November 3, 2020 7:52 AM

We know:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2020 10:33 PM

Another excerpt

———

What do you mean?” a friend of mine said to me when I told him Midtown should be called Ghost Town. “I’m in my office right now!”

“What are you doing there?”

“Packing up,” he said and laughed, “I’m shutting it down.” He works in the entertainment business.

Another friend of mine works at a major investment bank as a managing director. Before the pandemic, he was at the office every day, sometimes working from 6 a.m.–10 p.m.

Now he lives in Phoenix, Arizona. “As of June,” he told me, “I had never even been to Phoenix.” And then he moved there. He does all his meetings on Zoom.

I was talking to a book editor who has been out of the city since early March. “We’ve been all working fine. I’m not sure why we would need to go back to the office.”

One friend of mine, Derek Halpern, was convinced he’d stay. He put up a Facebook post the other day saying he might be changing his mind. Derek wrote:

“In the last week:

I watched a homeless person lose his mind and start attacking random pedestrians. Including spitting on, throwing stuff at, and swatting.

I’ve seen several single parents with a child asking for money for food. And then, when someone gave them food, tossed the food right back at them.

I watched a man yell racist slurs at every single race of people while charging, then stopping before going too far.

———

You should really read the entire article.

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2020 10:34 PM

Thoughts and prayers, NYC.

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2020 10:41 PM

Aight, tell us New Yorkers, what's it really like?

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2020 10:45 PM

Do you really care, R4?

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2020 10:50 PM

yeah, actually, I do

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2020 10:52 PM

Call Liza first. Then the Ghostbusters and then Steven Sondheim. We got a city to reopen.

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2020 10:54 PM

I'm having a great time. The city is empty, the parks are fill with hot horny men, the police are focusing on other things, no fucking tourists, outdoor dining everywhere, even McDonalds, , the city allowed restaurants to take over parking spaces ( I hate cars) giving a friendly vibe. Mid town is a pit, but no one lives there.

I could see it get worse/better quickly depending on vaccine/election.

I feel sorry for all you guys stuck in shitty towns. But, to each his own. Phoenix?? No, just no.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2020 11:03 PM

Good times and bum times, I've seen 'em all, and, my dear,

I'm still here.

Plush velvet sometimes, sometimes just pretzels and beer,

but I'm here.

I've run the gamut, A to Z;

three cheers and, dammit, c'est la vie.

I got through all of last year,

and I'm here.

Lord knows, at least I've been there, and I'm here.

Look who's here.

I'm still here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2020 11:12 PM

This reminds me of all the people who said they'd move to another country if Trump was elected. The vast majority stayed. OP is a nervous nelly, and definitely not a true New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2020 11:15 PM

Thanks you OP for posting the truths about the bad democratic city that is filled with peoples who are not patriots and who do not loves our president Donald Trump who supports all the patriot homesexualists on this site. You are to be congratulated for knowing that the New York City is all over for good now and there is no reasons to be believe otherwise and we must all let everyones know the real patriots hate the bad cities.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2020 11:16 PM

One of the worlds great cities having withstood the epicenter of the pandemic has responded magnificently and will be fine. This is not close to one of NYC’s worst times. OP know absolutely nothing about history from draft riots to the 1918 pandemic to the Depression (shanty town in Central Park) to going broke in the early 70s to the HIV pandemic. Another brain dead thread stimulated by an OP who I assume is dumb as a rock.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2020 11:18 PM

R8 Manhattan guys have the laziest bodies

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2020 11:21 PM

Considering everything, NYC seems pretty good! I’m a middle-aged, native-born Brooklynite who has seen some things happen here. While we are engaged right now in the same battles the rest of the world is, life goes on here with far fewer of the Karens and fights over masks, etc., that seem to be occurring in other parts of the country. We went from the highest infection rate in the country to the lowest, largely due to our ability to adapt and the sense that our fates are tied together because of the population density. A lot will depend upon what happens with the election, vaccine, etc., but for now we are bumping along like everyone else and pretty much okay. Definitely better than a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2020 11:25 PM

“In the last week:

All of these things could be seen everyday for the last few decades:

"I watched a homeless person lose his mind and start attacking random pedestrians. Including spitting on, throwing stuff at, and swatting. I’ve seen several single parents with a child asking for money for food. And then, when someone gave them food, tossed the food right back at them. I watched a man yell racist slurs at every single race of people while charging, then stopping before going too far."

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2020 11:26 PM

R11

Does it hurt to be that fucking retarded?

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2020 11:28 PM

What a lot of the "NYC 4 LYFE!" defenders seem to be missing when they invoke past events as a sign NYC will bounce back is TECHNOLOGY. WFH technology to be precise, which obviously didn't exist for the 1918 pandemic. But today the US is a mostly digital service based economy.

Plus companies don't have to rent out as much office space. If I'm a banker making tons of money, I don't have to be in a high-rise in mid-town to keep making money. I can do it comfortably from my multi-million dollar home somewhere else.

Companies are loosening their rules and are allowing employees a lot of latitude of where they want to work and telling employees don't have to come back in until next summer. Thing is, once people get used to something they consider a benefit, it gets really hard to take it away. As a result, most companies will keep the policy.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2020 11:37 PM

I don’t think most of the people replying actually read the article.

The savings from work from home will result in less office space inside New York City.

The relocation of full-time multi millionaire residents will damage the restaurant and high end retail industry.

Restaurants cannot function at 30% capacity. They barely make a profit at 100% capacity, so unless something changes drastically in the near future then New York City will be a fine dining desert.

I lived in Manhattan for seven years. I still have several friends and multiple contacts, and I have been reaching out to them during the pandemic. Over the last few weeks the “we are tough motherfuckers and we ain’t leaving our city“ has given way to “I don’t think we can take it any more”.

One of them forwarded this article and said that it finally convinced him to get the hell out of dodge before things get worse. He works from home, but loves the amenities of New York. He is relocating to Asheville.

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote] I could start any type of business.

In NYC? It's always been one of the hardest places in the country to start a business.

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2020 11:38 PM

I have lived in NYC since 1985. I am from Pennsylvania. I am seriously considering moving back next year to a 100,000 pop. city there. I am so over NYC and it seems Mayor DeBlasio won't miss me. He thinks there are plenty of people waiting to take my place here. It will be bittersweet.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2020 11:44 PM

Managers are control freaks. The higher up they are, the more into power, control and domination they are.

Which is is hard to do with a bunch of telecommuters. Can't play the dominance games with people who are not physically present. Plus, it screws with the status and one-upmanship that is also a feature of management. Can you imagine trying to show off in front of your fellow execs when there's nothing to show?

In short: people are social creatures, and our societies all depend on personal contact and hierarchy. Which means that once the pandemic subsides, execs will be gathering in the underlings once again, and they'll be flaunting their staffs and luxe office spaces and posh buildings all over again.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2020 11:46 PM

“But NYC always always bounces back.” No. Not this time."

NYC ALWAYS reinvents itself. It will again. Many delusional fools hoped for it's demise decades ago, didn't and not gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2020 11:46 PM

I think OP is a stalker. Stop stalking a single mom with a child.

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2020 11:48 PM

What is going to happen to all that wonderful outdoor dining when winter comes and Covid is still with us...plus flu season adding to the general sense of fear?

You really think people are going to flock to restaurants?

No B'way on or off, no Lincoln Center, no nothing.

Yes, it will probably all bounce back eventually but not this winter, that's for sure.

By the time spring comes around NYC really will be a ghost town.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2020 11:48 PM

I Left the city to move to the burbs in March and I’m basically suicidal every day

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2020 11:50 PM

Also my friends with fancy office jobs (late 20s-30s) are moving back to nyc now in droves because they feel the same way

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2020 11:51 PM

I think the trend was moving out of NY. The cost of living in NY is not sustainable.

But, I think once this pandemic is over, people might flock back to NY once the theater is open again. Young professionals living in a big city, is a common trend. Right now, most people are living with their extended families.

I do see many businesses relocated out of NY, at least for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2020 11:54 PM

R24, they're flocking to restaurants right now, even where I live in Westchester County. Certain restaurants are creating fundraisers to support their staff that have raised tens of thousands. People WANT this to work, which is why it will.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2020 11:56 PM

Maybe we can return to the wonderful, sleazy 42nd St and the sex shows of Times Square.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2020 11:56 PM

Bloomberg killed it. He allowed it all to be sold off to banks. He allowed banks to fund the destruction of the skyline. He never cared about anyone but rich people and he made them a lot richer.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2020 12:01 AM

oh yes! I'm too young too know but kinda want to experience that old fashioned 1970s sleaze! What was it like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2020 12:05 AM

I told you bitches this was going to happen.

I told you bitches that the restaurant, fashion, and club industries in NYC would die because of Covid.

I told you that the real estate industry would collapse.

I told you that people would start moving away.

Look at the reasons why people move(d) to NYC. Then take that all away. What's going to happen?

It's not fucking rocket science.

This is Manhattan in a few years...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2020 12:07 AM

Is that you, Fran Lebowitz at R30? I LOVE you! And I know you'll never move out of the city.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2020 12:07 AM

I might move to the suburbs for a year or two and then move back into the city if the crime goes down. I lived in a shitty part of Philadelphia before NYC and I remember what it’s like to live somewhere you don’t feel safe.

That’s what concerns me.

But all the gleeful creeps who are so excited about NYC being “over” don’t realize it’s coming for you too. Nowhere is immune to this if the economy continues to go under and trump wins again.

Also this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2020 12:10 AM

Fran what do you think about Kamala Harris?

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2020 12:12 AM

I left because of the CHUDS.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2020 12:22 AM

And 1, 2, 3, yaaaawwwwwnnnnnnn

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2020 1:17 AM

The difference R31, as the article states, was that was during a time when Manhattan was the premier CBD. That has changed and the city is on lock. So it's like having all the seediness with no fun...

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2020 1:45 AM

R8, where is this said cruising happening?? I've walked thru Washington Sq Park, the Piers, and Central Park at night and still no dick hunt...

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2020 1:47 AM

Fuck that idiot police union. So selfish. So miserable. So unsustainable. So typical of republicans who claim they hate unions, but they've always loved police unions. They hate government, but they love government crackdowns in the streets. It's the Wall Street mentality leeching into the outer boroughs, that's what has made New York an unattractive place to live.

It has to fall and fall hard for it to become attractive again to the bohemians.

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2020 2:08 AM

“ I’ve seen several single parents with a child ...”

This is extremely poor journalism. Someone with this imagination shouldn’t be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2020 2:13 AM

New York is over.

O

V

E

R

over

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2020 2:44 AM

R34

[quote] But all the gleeful creeps who are so excited about NYC being “over” don’t realize it’s coming for you too.

The catastrophic devastation of the New York City economy brings me no joy. It was my home, and many friends and acquaintances are suffering, or will suffer. My favorite restaurants are closed. A new video on Twitter showed Fifth Avenue from the mid-20s to the mid 50s- most every building was covered in plywood, and none of them were open.

No Ferragamo, no Gucci, no Rolex, no Coach or Chanel or Prada.

No Broadway.

No MSG concerts.

No Yankees, no Mets, or Nets, or Giants.

Very few expensive lunches or dinners for international clients taking advantage of their expense account.

The few businesses that are allowed to operate are struggling.

[quote]Nowhere is immune to this if the economy continues to go under and trump wins again.

The government response has been so pathetic that any recovery is years away. I loathe Donald Trump, but I have less faith in Joe Biden. Neither one of them is competent enough to be president.

I have my own fears for the rest of the country, but New York, San Francisco, and Seattle are of particular concern to me.

by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2020 2:55 AM

Here’s the video of the boarded up stores in the most exclusive shopping area in Manhattan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2020 2:59 AM

Oh boo hoo. Just fill out your absentee ballot for Biden, OP.

MARY! for crying out loud.

by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2020 3:00 AM

Eventually Covid will be over and to be real is mostly fatal only to the elderly. I

by Anonymousreply 46August 16, 2020 3:02 AM

R45

Biden?

I wouldn’t vote for either one of those obnoxious motherfuckers. Joe Biden is no better than Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2020 3:04 AM

Liar

by Anonymousreply 48August 16, 2020 3:13 AM

One of Biden's farts would . be better than Donald Trump as President.

by Anonymousreply 49August 16, 2020 3:16 AM

New York seems scary now because of the subway, homeless and random beat downs.

by Anonymousreply 50August 16, 2020 3:18 AM

Whatever to get rid of the unnecessary drama in the current White House. We have enough shit going on in our own lives to feel we gotta protect these rich, people at the expense of our own well being and peace of mind.

by Anonymousreply 51August 16, 2020 3:19 AM

I love NYC, always have, always will. My one thought is that I'm glad I'm not in commercial real estate. I think that will be a rather large issue moving forward for every large city.

by Anonymousreply 52August 16, 2020 3:21 AM

This isn't just happening in NYC, it's happening in many major cities (especially what are referred to as the dream cities, New York, London, Paris, Toronto etc.). The reality is, this started before COVID. The decline of brick and mortar retail, younger people and middle classes people no longer being able to afford housing (rent or purchase), moderate sized companies and tech innovative companies increasing headquartering in more moderate sized (cheaper) cities. COVID just lit a fuse under the problems that were already occurring. While NYC and other major cities aren't dead, I think if COVID continues well in 2021 even 2022 I think the desire for metropolis style living in going to crash and people are going exodus for a more suburban form of living.

by Anonymousreply 53August 16, 2020 3:53 AM

How anyone is saying Biden is no better than a compulsive lying sociopathic fascist is beyond my comprehension. THIS is why America is doomed. Trump is like nothing we’ve seen before. If you don’t see that - there is no way to even explain it.

by Anonymousreply 54August 16, 2020 4:03 AM

But Trump didn't ruin New York. DeBlasio did.

by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2020 4:13 AM

Agree about it happened before Covid but Covid is accelerating the decline. SF is in the same boat - no one can afford to live in the city and homeless are out of control with no plan. Shit on the streets etc. It’s not like Biden can wave a magic wand but it will accelerate even more under Trump. They will push law and order etc. and remove any entitlement programs. People will be shooting each other in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 56August 16, 2020 4:19 AM

De blasio is accelerating the apocalypse. Only neighborhood in the city that seems fine is his beloved park slope.

by Anonymousreply 57August 16, 2020 4:24 AM

Tourism, shopping, dining, theatre-going---vanished because of TRUMP.

Places are closed because of COVID-19, not through any DeBlasio policies.

And THAT is directly attributable to Trump's negligence and malevolence.

by Anonymousreply 58August 16, 2020 4:31 AM

Many of you are older, and have lived most of your lives in a period of great stability. The 2020’s due to a number of convergent factors, principally automation and 5G—part of the “Fourth Industrial Revolution”—portend MASSIVE changes over the next decade. No, things are NOT going back to the way they were after this pandemic ends. But it’s not just in NYC, it’s everywhere.

Expensive cities like SF, Seattle, NYC have and will continue to see a mass exodus, because they are simply unaffordable for 90% of working people. But remote work also favors employers as well, as they too save on exorbitant rents, on taxes, utilities, and supplies, plus can recruit talent from anywhere in the country.

Sadly, brick and mortar retail, which was already dying before the pandemic, is on its last legs. There is literally no reason to step into a brick and mortar store, outside of a grocer, because everything is available online. The pandemic has only accelerated this trend.

It will be interesting to see how all the empty retail and office will be repurposed in major cities. Of course, some companies will choose to resume with the pre-pandemic office setup once this is all over, but many companies won’t, and the trend towards remote work is already well established.

by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2020 4:39 AM

Exactly, when people say " All the politicians are all the same, Biden is no better than Trump, they are all bad etc...." I think what fucking planet are you on? Are they in that much of a bubble and their head is so far up their own ass they can't see what a complete nightmare Trump and the Republicans are right now, and that they will doom this country if they win? Those people are either completely uninformed, stupid, or a self involved asshole. Probably a combination of all three....

by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2020 4:41 AM

It feels like the US urban cities are doomed. No jobs and no one takes the homeless problem seriously.

by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2020 5:01 AM

R59 Literally no reason for brick and mortar stores? What do you use for shoes, for example, and how do you know if they will fit before buying? You go back and forth to fedEx or whatever, for returns? What a PITA.

I need to feel the heft and hand of a weave or anything fabric. Photos show nothing. Sheets, clothes, rugs, bedding.

Dishes and tableware also—unless you furnish your entire life from poorly shot catalogues and websites and don’t care about the quality of goods you buy.

Having said that, its a reasonable bet that retail is going high end or big-box. Another example of split between first class and economy class.

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2020 5:04 AM

... high end versus big-box, rather ...

R62

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2020 5:06 AM

Chicago is the canary in the coal mine? Urban blight under Trump is too much to bear.

by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2020 5:08 AM

As soon as the pandemic is controlled via effective treatments or a vaccine, and companies can require people to be back in NYC offices, they will. In droves.

Because a) everyone will be eager to go into denial and forget this nightmare ever happened; and b) most importantly, it will be another way for companies to weed out older, more experienced, more expensive people and replace them with recent grads who cost nothing. There will be increased pressure to do this because of the financial damage of the pandemic.

This has been going on forever, was accelerated by the internet, and the pandemic will only speed it up. At least 15 years ago, I heard that you're basically washed up in NYC at 40. Which at 42 I have found to be quite true! And now—and five years from now? You're going to have all these broke kids from Bumfucke who are willing to risk a move for better opportunities.

The high-paid people who relocated from NYC to Phoenix or Philly are not going to be valued and protected by corporations. Corporate is going to say, let them be Phoenix's and Philly's problems. They're too old and expensive anyway, cut them loose.

There will always be an advantage to being available in person, in a perceived power center like NYC.

by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2020 5:20 AM

R60

It must be difficult being that stupid.

If you can’t understand that Democrats are just as venal and corrupt as Republicans then you are too stupid to debate.

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2020 5:28 AM

You don’t need to try on shoes. I buy all my shoes from YOOX, and if it’s not the right fit (very rarely), they get sent back. It’s easy, less hassle, and they have a much greater selection of discounted, high-end shoes than can be found at any physical store.

That’s the benefit of e-retail. You have access to a much larger selection of goods. For instance, shopping for used furniture, there’s Chairish. You can find amazing high-end brands, at a fraction of the cost new, and have it shipped to your door and a flat rate. Who needs consignment shops anymore? Same for new furniture.

Again, many of you are older and are used to going to physical stores, but the changes are already here and going to accelerate.

by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2020 5:28 AM

R60 is right. R66 is a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2020 5:30 AM

R65 I hope you’re right. I work with the court system so I have to be in or close to the city because we will be called back at some point. I really hope other people return to their offices once it is safe to do so. Courts haven’t reopened really and the area around them (just up from city hall) is apparently completely deserted.

I still can’t believe I was living my life as normal just 6 months ago - running to get coffee with coworkers - complaining about meaningless bullshit and now the world as we knew it is gone.

Still feels surreal.

by Anonymousreply 69August 16, 2020 6:00 AM

So many people nowadays in a delusion welcome the next wave of technological advancement unaware that it will lead to their downgrade in societal hierarchy and ultimately, eventually their own demise. Everyone thinks they’re special, the chosen ones and will somehow rise to the top of the rest of the dispensable peasants. This time things are different, this time there is no plan B. 🤖

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2020 6:34 AM

Maybe after this poor people will be able to afford to live in NYC and it will become interesting again

by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2020 11:25 AM

I've been trying to get poor people out. Now you want them to return?

by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2020 12:32 PM

LOL

In other news The Sky Is Falling.

When asked about the current situation, Mr. C. Little commented that "People need to run for cover. It's truly an emergency. There's no time to waste."

by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2020 1:12 PM

Soon there will be purge nights just like in those movies. MAGAs and upper class white people will just start going around shooting the homeless.

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2020 2:18 PM

Overhyped. The millennials - who fueled the growth of cities in their 20s- are aging and moving to the suburbs with kids. Just like the Boomers. This just accelerated that. The fuel that Sex and the City provided to glamorize the city has burnt itself out and NYC is returning to an equilibrium. Needed a little deflation. If it goes back to the crime levels of 1999, it’s still incredibly safe.

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2020 2:34 PM

R67, sure online retail has a greater selection. But the last time I wanted a pair of sneakers, I ordered and sent back four pairs before I found ones that fit okay. Good thing I wasn’t in a hurry. Usually I try to reorder something I already have because I know it’s right, only to find the maker has discontinued the style. I have ordered clothes, like three of the same style in different colors and when they come, they fit differently or they switched to a different fabric supplier mid-run and the cloth is not the same. Even high-end fashion is made in China.

Also, if you are buying and returning a lot of purchases because they aren’t what you thought they’d be/wrong color/size, believe me, your name is going on a list.

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2020 2:38 PM

Born and raised in Manhattan and never leaving. The city isn’t dead, but we can’t elect 2 democrats anymore. They demonize people who have money, but people with money help fund the city. We have two idiots that haven’t done a thing for this city. They have both helped drive out the middle class. Never in 50 years have I seen a more incompetent duo. Mario Cuomo was also inept! It’s ironic that Andrew and Bill don’t even like each other.

by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2020 2:40 PM

(R66) and (R77) 100%

by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2020 2:42 PM

All I know is now is the time to buy real estate! NYC isn’t going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2020 2:43 PM

As much as I hate DeBlasio the media is overhyping how bad the city is. It’s not scary walking around at all. This is NOTHING compared to what the city used to be like. Everyone who complained that they missed the “exciting, dirty and gritty old city of yore” are now running for the hills like lemmings.

by Anonymousreply 80August 16, 2020 2:50 PM

Beautiful 600sf alcove studio in Riverdale (Bronx) on market for $160k. Hudson River views and is a lovely building. I am ready to bid if the price drops to $150 or less, my hope is $140k, but time will tell. Right now I need DeBlasio to keep doing his job.

by Anonymousreply 81August 16, 2020 3:15 PM

(R81) Lmao!

by Anonymousreply 82August 16, 2020 3:18 PM

yes, unless you're buying something you already have, it's a crapshoot.

Different brands have all their own sizing...thanks to vanity sizing. You can be size M in brand X but size L in another brand.

Colors are also not very accurate. Quality can be very poor but will be hard to see online. Then you gotta return all that junk, all that hassle and waste of packaging...bad for environment.

I prefer shopping in person.

by Anonymousreply 83August 16, 2020 3:23 PM

ATM ripped out of Manhattan deli as new crime ‘trend’ hits NYC

Two men were caught on video as they yanked an ATM out of an East Village deli — a crime the bodega industry says is on the rise in the city.

“We get robbed, we get killed, we are assaulted, but this is a new thing,” said Jose Dario Collado, the owner of Yankee Deli & Grocery on Avenue C near East 11th Street that got raided in the early hours Friday.

“Looting is in style and there is nothing we can do about it,” he said, saying the pair caught on camera “assaulted” his bodega and “left damages totaling thousands of dollars.”

“Who will pay me? The City? The Mayor? The Small Business Administration?” Collado asked. “I want answers.”

Video shows a man in black sweats — his face obscured by his hood — attaching a chain to the ATM as another man, in red pants a dark T-shirt, waits by a white van with its rear doors open. It was not clear how much cash was in it at the time.

The NYPD did not immediately release data on how many such robberies have happened.

But Fernando Mateo of the United Bodegas Of America (UBA) said that the industry is seeing more and more of these ATM grabs.

“We have never witnessed anything like this before,” Mateo said.

“It’s like out of a movie script, they must have seen this on TV,” he said, with most raiders ripping off the security gates before using the same rope to tear out the ATM machine.

“It’s scary to see what people are doing and getting away with. Cops are nowhere in sight, NYC is underserved. People don’t respect cops anymore and that is very sad.”

UBA president Radames Rodriguez said that the crime wave is “devastating” to bodega owners and workers.

“We work 15 hours a day and to wake up and find your bodegas in shambles is not acceptable,” he said, calling for “law and order” and arrests.

“We have had enough and the Mayor must respond, what’ s going on in the City?” he asked, saying many are now “afraid to go to work.”

“Our streets are not safe anymore,” insisted Rodriguez.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 16, 2020 3:26 PM

What many of you youngsters fail to understand is that the bulk of people who live in NYC have lived there for generations, they are not tourists or two year single residents who live for opera and Broadway. Many live in the boroughs outside of Manhattan. They are not budging.

After this crisis is over, they'll still be there. When tourism returns, and it will, they'll still be there. And new people will be there too.

by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2020 4:04 PM

Sorry to say that this sort of crime is going to increase as people get more desperate for money that they will go to any lengths to get it. This will be especially true in the cities victimized by the BernieBro, SJW, BLM Defund thePolice movement. You think that you're going to get the best care from law enforcement? You chose "Defund the Police" as the title of your movement. Now, unfortunately, those cites are going to see a higher rate of suffering from crime. Do police depts need reform? Of course they do. But the radical left cabal of the Democratic Party has left our cities less safe and has encouraged the lawless, spurred on by economic deprivation from the Trump Administration, to act with the security of knowing they probably won't get caught.

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2020 4:06 PM

When you have 20%+ unemployment, crime and desperation are not unexpected. But I don’t think anybody believes it will stay that high. Even an 8% unemployment rate means a huge improvement over the present state. This is not about the WFH crowd - it’s the dishwashers and cleaners living hand to mouth with absolutely nothing to live on now.

by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2020 4:16 PM

"But the radical left cabal of the Democratic Party has left our cities less safe and has encouraged the lawless, spurred on by economic deprivation from the Trump Administration, to act with the security of knowing they probably won't get caught."

Sorry, asshole @R86, I'm much more fearful of "the radical right cabal of the Republican Party and the Trump Administration," wiping their asses daily with the United States Constitution and threatening voter rights simply because they don't want to see the results of free elections.

I'm not really afraid of scumbags like you, but I am truly amazed that you're so fucking stupid you can't see the forest for the trees and/or are so heavily invested in your white supremacy you refuse to see what's happening before your very eyes.

by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2020 4:16 PM

And R86, the number of people who have been "harmed" by BLM lawlessness is infinitely smaller than the number of people who have been harmed by Trump's and the Republicans utter stupidity and callousness in handling the Corona virus. From the "its all a hoax" phase to the "It's the Chinese disease " phase to "Just drink some bleach" phase, Trump has mishandled this crisis in a far worse manner detrimental to the average American than all of the race riots of the last 100 years combined.

So please keep your relentless fear mongering to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2020 4:27 PM

R88 and 89 - nothing you bellowed has anything to do with the growing crime rate in NYC. You're just bloviating to hear yourself spew irrelevant blather. Stick to the topic, or just go play with yourself and drool, as you do most of the day.

by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2020 5:41 PM

Stick to what you know best, R90: sucking Donald Trump's puny cocklet and then eating out his shit encrusted asshole.

Trump says you're his favorite because you do it so dayumgood.

And PS: who made you an acknowledged expert on urban affairs? Talk about bloviating.

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2020 5:46 PM

People need to feel safe on their streets, I no longer feel safe in NYC. Reality sucks.

by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2020 5:47 PM

R86 let me get this straight. The effects of hunger and poverty related crime will be felt more in cities ‘victimized’ by BernieBros? So because of the BernieBros (who mostly exist on twitter as an identifiable group) there will be more atms taken from bodegas. Due to their victimization of the city they inhabit. Get a grip on yourself. You need to get your news elsewhere. If you think logically about what you’re saying you’ll see a real gap in common sense.

by Anonymousreply 93August 16, 2020 5:52 PM

R92 you people are so weak it’s embarrassing. And admitting to it! You should go live at one of those malls that has apartments.

by Anonymousreply 94August 16, 2020 5:54 PM

I have split my time renting a house in the burbs and living in my NYC apartment. The house allows me to socialize more because it has a backyard. When I come back to NYC, I am thrilled. The suburbs feel boring and soul destroying to me. They make sense for families with children but anyone who needs more excitement will seek out a city. That's how it always has been and once covid is gone, it will be again.

by Anonymousreply 95August 16, 2020 6:21 PM

R95 we are the exact opposite. We have a nice house in the suburbs, and a small apartment in Manhattan. We spent most of this past week in the city, after being at the house since April.

The city felt dead to us. Granted, it's always less crowded during the summer, but this was a very noticeable change. All the closed restaurants and shops, people in masks, etc felt very dystopian.

On the drive back to the house we discussed making it our primary home. It's only an hour ride on the train or by car.

by Anonymousreply 96August 16, 2020 6:28 PM

As other people have stated, big city living was in trouble before COVID largely due to affordability and the lack of living waged jobs for younger works. I think COVID is just speeding up 'the reckoning' the was going to happen. What happens next really depends on how long COVID lasts. I think we're in a huge state of denail about how long we're going to be living with the direct effects and then recovery from COVID.

Harsh truth, most health experts are predicting that even if a safe and effective vaccine is developed and begins production/distribution by early 2021, it's going to be 2022 (even 2023) before enough people are vaccinated to safely lift all restrictions. That's going on the assumption that the virus doesn't mutate to the point that the vaccine being developed for the current strain is no longer effective.

The economic realities are it's going to take years to fully recover and it's going to require a reworking of our economic systems. I think other countries will adapt better since they have social infrastructure already in place. America will take far longer. The wealthy 1% which control most of the power in this country are not going to let capitalism as we know it end without a fight.

I think big city living will return but it's going to have to be done differently. They need to draw young people and that means trying to make housing more affordable and jobs that pay decent wages. This goes again current economic models of making profit off the backs of exploited workers.

by Anonymousreply 97August 16, 2020 6:28 PM

I am a native New Yorker so I've never going to leave. But NYC has had a huge increase in population since 1980. It won't be the end of the world if some of those people leave.

I'm more worried about getting a good mayor once DeBlassio leaves. If it's someone who is going to focus 24/7 on BLM and inequality instead of crime, homelessness and economic issues, the city will be in BIG trouble.

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2020 6:35 PM

So why didn’t Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo collapse after their multiple bird flu epidemics? This is all over reaction. Just a new reality to deal with - which Americans will eventually adapt to.

by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2020 6:37 PM

R98 I don’t know if you’ve listened to anything BLM say but you’ll be glad to hear their aims are to lift all black people out of less socially and economically advantaged situations. This would involve tackling homelessness in black communities (almost 50% of homeless population in US is AA). Reducing poverty in AA communities would also directly lower crime within those communities. I know a lot of people on this board are (for want of a better word) *emphasis*concerned*close emphasis* about violent crime in AS communities. If you want a mayor that will improve crime, homelessness and ‘economic issues’ then maybe you should vote for a mayor for which BLM will be a part of their decision making.

by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2020 6:48 PM

[quote]I don’t know if you’ve listened to anything BLM say but you’ll be glad to hear their aims are to lift all black people out of less socially and economically advantaged situations.

And how do they plan to do that exactly?

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2020 7:05 PM

I felt ripped off paying NYC rent when everything was available and open. I would feel like a chump paying that now.

by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2020 7:10 PM

R101 you could probably google it yourself and I’m not an expert but from what I see it is to advocate for change across society at large in terms of how Black people are seen, provided for and valued so that they can gain the equality and agency afforded to other communities. This would remove the marginalization that goes along with increased levels of homelessness, increased crime, lower life expectancy etc. I don’t think it’s one piece of legislation or a piece of taxation that does it. They’ve always been described as a movement and I think that word is the best way to think about it.

by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2020 7:28 PM

OT but what does everyone think will happen in Miami? (I can't start a thread because I am too cheap to subscribe). TIA.

by Anonymousreply 104August 16, 2020 7:56 PM

[quote]it is to advocate for change across society at large in terms of how Black people are seen, provided for and valued so that they can gain the equality and agency afforded to other communities.

Agency afforded to other communities? Funny how Asians, Hispanics, Indians, African immigrants...how these non white people have done so well without special treatment.

by Anonymousreply 105August 16, 2020 7:58 PM

R105 do a little bit of research on the immigration rules and controls for Asian or Indian immigrants. Special skill sets required etc. same for African immigrants. And a repeal of your immigration status if you don’t work in the field you agreed to? Regarding Hispanic people there are whole swathes of industry that are established in these communities providing a higher guarantee of access to employment. Why are you so against the idea of lifting people out of poverty? Were you dropped as a child repeatedly onto slave memorabilia?

by Anonymousreply 106August 16, 2020 8:05 PM

I don’t know how you lift up the AA community unless you give them housing, jobs and education. No one will pay for that through large tax increases, so I am unfortunately pessimistic about race relations in this country.

by Anonymousreply 107August 16, 2020 8:06 PM

R104 Miami doesn't have the packs of people in subway trains, unventilated subway stations, elevators, and in jammed ancient cubicle farms that New York has.

by Anonymousreply 108August 16, 2020 8:25 PM

R104 thank you for answering! I was expecting some shitty snarky remarks from everyone. Appreciate your insights-- you are correct.

by Anonymousreply 109August 16, 2020 9:07 PM

I meant thanks to R108!

by Anonymousreply 110August 16, 2020 9:08 PM

Trump as President and DeBlasio as mayor is really the worst combination you can get for a place like New York City.

by Anonymousreply 111August 16, 2020 9:18 PM

yes to the above

by Anonymousreply 112August 16, 2020 9:39 PM

Lol R74

by Anonymousreply 113August 16, 2020 9:43 PM

It will come back, it always does.

by Anonymousreply 114August 16, 2020 9:51 PM

R79 De Blasio knows that. There are whispers that he's tanking the real estate market on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 115August 16, 2020 10:03 PM

Would it be like buying an apartment in Detroit though? Is that what we will become?

That’s what scares me about buying an apartment. Sounds ridic I know but shit. Things are crazy.

by Anonymousreply 116August 16, 2020 10:29 PM

[quote] i’m a native New Yorker so I've never going to leave. But NYC has had a huge increase in population since 1980

True. I mined to NYC in 1985. I remember hearing on tv that there were a lot of Mexican immigrants in California. I’d never seen anyone from Mexico until one day a man was selling flowers from a shopping cart. Our Hispanic immigrants were from Puerto Rico & the Dominican Republic Within 10 years there were hundreds of thousands of Mexicans, Honduran, Salvadoran & Ecuadorian immigrants. My in-laws neighborhood in queens was almost 100% Italian & Jewish and within 15 years it was almost 100% Chinese & Korean, with single family homes torn down & replaced by multi-residential dwellings . Huge numbers of soviet Jews moved here after glastnost/perestroika in the 1990s. Most of my neighborhood 6 story tenement buildings were torn down & replaced with highrises with >35 floors.

There was something called the Third Avenue Bar Crawl on weekends. People would go from bar to bar drinking & eating at little Chinese restaurants til 4 am The later it got, the drunker they got, the louder they got. I could tell if a NY team was playing & if it was winning without needing to watch tv or listen to the radio. Not one bar remains and only one small Chinese restaurant is left. Only one Korean greengrocers is left & it’s a high priced gourmet shop, compared to when there were greengrocers on every corner.

All the buildings that contained the bars, Chinese restaurants & greengrocers were torn down & replaced by luxury highrises with an ATM, a Duane Reade or a Whole Foods on the ground floor. All the shoe stores, clothing stores, tailors, florists, candy stores, newspaper/tobacco shops, stationery stores, card shops, delis, hardware stores and most of the movie theaters are gone. It used to be so lively on weekends with crowds of people going out to eat, walking home, stopping in a video store to pick up a movie, running into friends, going out for drinks. Now when I go back people are just looking at screens. I never see anyone carrying their shopping from the market. Everything’s delivered. I never see 2 people walking together talking. Just loads & loads of people rushing by with their Starbucks. But where are they going? They’ve already been to Starbucks. What’s left for them to go to? Duane Reade?

by Anonymousreply 117August 16, 2020 10:56 PM

They need to bring back rent control. This is how cities cultivate a hip, artsy culture.

Any city the attacks public education is doomed. Another thing bloomberg was linked too. Bloomberg stole public education and public health monies to train young police officers to slam black kids into walls.

by Anonymousreply 118August 17, 2020 2:54 AM

I hate to say it but Democratic mayors for big cities have been a great disappointment. It’s too touchy feely around the homeless and too friendly with developers. They have been major contributors to urban decay. Not that Republicans would be better but there has been a real lack of vision and planning for several years. The middle class and poor always get the shaft. If Trump wins, he will be really emboldened to simply arrest everyone.

by Anonymousreply 119August 17, 2020 3:04 AM

R119 I generally agree. New York is the last place to have that (certainly not a DeBlasio type Dem). Best off having Dems nationally (so the seeds of unrest aren’t planted the way they are now) and a Guiliani/Bloomberg type mayor (sorry guys) TL get this shit under control. Or even Cuomo.

I hate what Bloomberg has done with the bikes and bike lanes though — Lord.

by Anonymousreply 120August 17, 2020 3:17 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 17, 2020 4:52 PM

The three things that drew people to New York en masse - opportunities, food and culture - have all now been wiped out.

Businesses have realized they can continue to operate successfully with a remote staff. There are few that have returned as a result.

With no requirement to stay in the city for their jobs, many are unwilling to put up with the escalating crime.

One man wrote in a Facebook group: 'In the last week: I watched a homeless person lose his mind and start attacking random pedestrians. Including spitting on, throwing stuff at, and swatting.

'I’ve seen several single parents with a child asking for money for food. And then, when someone gave them food, tossed the food right back at them. I watched a man yell racist slurs at every single race of people while charging, then stopping before going too far.'

Another said: 'I’ve been living in New York City for about 10 years. It has definitely gotten worse and there’s no end in sight.

'My favorite park is Madison Square Park. About a month ago a 19-year-old girl was shot and killed across the street.

'I don’t think I have an answer but I do think it’s clear: it’s time to move out of NYC.

'I’m not the only one who feels this way, either. In my building alone, the rent has plummeted almost 30% — more people are moving away than ever before. So…

'It’s not goodbye yet. But a lifelong New Yorker is thinking about it.'

Altucher said he was not tempted to leave until June, when riots and looting took over the city for a week.

'Nothing was wrong with the protests but I was a little nervous when I saw videos of rioters after curfew trying to break into my building,' he wrote.

He has now moved with his family to south Florida and is unsure if they'll come back.

'I’m temporarily, although maybe permanently, in South Florida now. I also got my place sight unseen,' he wrote.

His comments come as the NYPD's largest union - the Sergeants Benevolent Association - has taken the unorthodox step of formally endorsing Trump because cops are so frustrated with de Blasio's handling of the city.

In June, he stripped the NYPD of $1billion in response to Black Lives Matter protesters who wanted to defund the department entirely.

Trump has vowed to revitalize the city if he wins the November election, but he hasn't yet explained how. De Blasio remains in power until November 2021. He cannot be re-elected.

On Monday morning, the President phoned into Fox & Friends to discuss a range of issues, including New York City.

'The mayor has no response. He doesn't know what he's doing, he's a fool.

'He's a socialist, communist maybe he's a fool. He got rid of some of the most talented policemen that there are in the world and that includes looking for very bad things all beyond New York.

'Some of those people are gone and that's no good. No, this is a fool. This is a fool.' he said of de Blasio.

Crime has shot up in recent weeks, particularly shootings. There were more than 60 shootings across New York City in the last week, leaving 76 people injured.

Trump said on Monday: 'Look at the shootings. When I left New York four years ago, New York was, I could see the seeds of this because he's been a bad mayor but new York was good.

'It was okay. It all happened recently. It all came together. All of this over a period of years as he's been mayor, but about a year, and then six months ago, it's incredible what happened.

'When I left New York four years ago, we were doing great. I was doing good. Everybody was doing good. Now but you could see the seeds were being sewn.

by Anonymousreply 122August 17, 2020 4:54 PM

'The seeds it was happening, bad stuff was happening you could see it, the squeegies were starting to come out, tents were starting to be built on the sidewall.'

The President then praised Rudy Giuliani as a 'great mayor' who did 'a great job'.

'Rudy Giuliani did a great job, between window, you know, fixed broken windows because he said that's a sign and it leads a lot of people wouldn't even understand that.

'It's psychologically very important but Rudy, he was a great mayor and he did stop and frisk. He did stop and frisk. He took guns away from bad people.

'Now, if you take a gun away from a bad people oh, you got, you know, they sue you.

'They sue you. It's so crazy what they've allowed to happen,' he fumed.

Trump added that most of the country was 'strong' and 'law abiding', but that Democratic cities like New York, Chicago and Portland are 'run by fools'.

Last week, it emerged that 13,000 apartments were sitting empty in New York, the highest number in 14 years.

by Anonymousreply 123August 17, 2020 4:55 PM

NYPD is fueling this by refusing g to crack down on quality of life crimes because wwwwaaaaaaaaah! They don’t like having a democratic mayor, waaaaaah! NY Post & Breitbart also constantly predicting the collapse of NYC any moment now.

Meanwhile, try offering 50% off the rent or selling price of an apartment in this “collapsing” city & see what that gets you.

by Anonymousreply 124August 17, 2020 5:32 PM

New York will survive, but it will never be the same as it was. The great glory years of creativity are gone, only to be replaced by the utter sameness that encompasses the entire country. There will be remnants of what was, but citizens will have to adapt to the new NYC - a bigger version of Des Moines, only with dreams of "Follies" revivals.

by Anonymousreply 125August 17, 2020 6:11 PM

The Altrucher piece is stupid for several reasons.

First, culture will come back to NY because culture needs a center. Does he think Broadway is suddenly gonna up and move to Minneapolis?

Second, food will come back for much the same reason. Sure, some chefs may relocate to other cities for a while, but any chef who wants to make their mark on the world is going to eventually want to open up a restaurant in a culinary center. And the county's largest and most international city is the obvious place for that.

Third, remote work will affect every city. That's not a NY-specific issue. But with real estate prices going down in NY, one of the main impediments to living in NY (it's lack of affordability) will be less of an issue and many people will take advantage of that. In addition, remote work will make it possible for people who otherwise couldn't live in NY to move there now. In fact, I already know 3 people who've moved to NY this summer because they don't have to be in DC or SF to do their jobs now.

Four, NY will come back because people will *want* it to come back. Will it be exactly the same as before? No, of course not. No place will be. But NY exists in part because people like the idea of exciting city full of possibilities, great food, great culture, and tons of people. And they'll want that even more after having to have lived through Covid.

Five, climate change is a bigger existential threat to most cities than Covid is to NY. The author's mention of the family that moved to Miami made me laugh out loud as a perfect example of how shortsighted literally everything in his piece is.

by Anonymousreply 126August 17, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote] New York will survive, but it will never be the same as it was.

New York has never been the same as it was.

Nether have London, Paris, or other dynamic cities. All dynamic cities “used to be great but not anymore” according to those who’ve lived in them.

by Anonymousreply 127August 17, 2020 6:38 PM

Rome has really changed. I remember when you could buy whole slave families for a song & then go watch criminals get torn apart by starving ferocious beasts....

by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2020 6:39 PM

Any "lifelong New Yorker" who moves from New York City to Florida is automatically suspect.

by Anonymousreply 129August 17, 2020 6:42 PM

R126 nailed it. We are all facing many of these issues in big cities or small. In the end, people will still want to be here and the fundamental changes that are occurring in our society right now may serve to make NY a possibility for those it may not have been before.

Btw, inspired in part by this thread I drove into Manhattan from my home in Brooklyn this afternoon, drove up the west side to 125th Street, then came back down through midtown (on 5th), and Soho and the financial district on Broadway. There were not many people out, but most wore masks, and there were some empty storefronts and some boarded up windows, but it was nowhere near the dystopian scenario being presented upthread. And my Brooklyn neighborhood seems very much like it always has, only without inside dining and everyone masked up. I just think we have the same problems everyone does but also have experience dealing with crises.

by Anonymousreply 130August 17, 2020 7:40 PM

R65 I wonder about that aspect, whether people will be willing to go back to commuting. I work in NYC and commute there and was fed up with it before the virus. My office will be wfh til Jan 2021 at least. In that time, I plan to find a job that is permanently wfh. I think many commuters feel the same.

by Anonymousreply 131August 17, 2020 7:51 PM

R130 another item which has not been brought up here is the actual built environment. Regardless of new bandwidth levels, in some random town in South Carolina you’re not going to encounter buildings from architectural greats such as Mies, Breuer, Johnson and newer pieces of urban architecture sewn into a rich historical colloquial urban fabric. Places hold meaning. This doesn’t disappear in a few months. Cities are cultural objects which create their own stories. Small towns are small towns, they have a shared importance as a collective residential typology, but individually.....meh.

by Anonymousreply 132August 17, 2020 8:01 PM

Btw R130 I was kind of just adding to your comment, it didn’t really come off that way lol.

by Anonymousreply 133August 17, 2020 8:02 PM

The Fifth Avenue windows in that Twitter video are boarded up because of the BLM protests that were going on. It has nothing to do with Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 134August 17, 2020 8:05 PM

[quote]The Fifth Avenue windows in that Twitter video are boarded up because of the BLM protests

They were not boarded up because of BLM protests.

They were boarded up because of BLM riots.

by Anonymousreply 135August 17, 2020 8:12 PM

For those of you predicting the end of NYC, you're clearly too young to remember NYC in the 70s. The city was in the midst of its greatest financial downturn since the depression. The city's industrial industry (which employed a majority of the city's citizens, particularly the white middle class) had collapsed. Unprecedented numbers of people were on welfare, property values tanked, and the city itself was struggling to make ends meet resulting in failing infrastructure. Those who could afford it, moved out to the burbs, employers left...it was a city on the brink in many ways.

I grew up in Manhattan during the late 60s and well into the 70s and it was a completely different city to the one you all probably know. It was dirty, sketchy, drugs, petty crime, murder, rape. You didn't dare walk in Central Park after dark. And yet, it was way more fun. NYC was kind of the outsiders city during the 70s. It's where artists, gays, trans folks, hippies, gangsters, etc. All came to live. Once Reagan came to power, the city changed as the financial markets began to boom and the city became a much larger financial hub than ever before. Much of what made NYC great ended in the 80s and the whole city became so commercial.

Just like those days. NY will rise again just different from what was before.

by Anonymousreply 136August 17, 2020 11:31 PM

I remember.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 17, 2020 11:33 PM

[quote] But NYC has had a huge increase in population since 1980.

The population of NYC has been around 8 million for the past 50 years with little change.

by Anonymousreply 138August 17, 2020 11:45 PM

Lol. There are literally millions of undocumented people in NY who don’t fill out the census. Visa overstayers are a huge number of them.

by Anonymousreply 139August 17, 2020 11:52 PM

In 1980, it was about 7.5 million.

For some time, it's been 8.5 million.

And when you're there, you feel that extra million. In all the public spaces, you feel it. And it's pushed people who once brought Alphabet City back into Brooklyn and Queens and now the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 140August 17, 2020 11:52 PM

Gee R139, why are the subways overburdened? People are packed in worse than sardines. There aren’t enough subway trains for the population. How come? If the same amount of people are here as were here 50 years ago, then everyone taking the subway would get a seat. We wouldn’t need double decker or extra long buses. The old buses driven by Ralph Kramden would be fine.

by Anonymousreply 141August 17, 2020 11:57 PM

Going back to visit NYC last year after many years outside of the US, I was shocked at how crowded it had become.

by Anonymousreply 142August 18, 2020 12:00 AM

Add in all the growth on the Jersey water front. They don't all stay in Jersey, ya know.

by Anonymousreply 143August 18, 2020 12:06 AM

R140, just watching Law & Order makes me want to cry. All those little storefront shops & businesses in the background — all gone &replaced by highrises with ATMs or drugstores on the ground level.

It’s so changed, so crowded. We knew a couple of guys who moved to the village & when they came up to visit Yorkville they called it “the country” because it was so quiet, uncrowded & had little traffic. I can’t stand the congestion there when I go back. I remember when we had one little Barnes & Noble bookstore, Israeli electronic shops, bakeries, little hardware stores where I knew the names of the guys who worked there. Elaine’s used to have cracked & pulverized pavement in front if it & nobody could believe “the” Elaine’s was in such a crummy neighborhood that was deserted at night because of the danger after dark. When I moved up there, most of the stores pulled down full metal security gates at night and on Sundays.

by Anonymousreply 144August 18, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote] Btw, inspired in part by this thread I drove into Manhattan from my home in Brooklyn this afternoon, drove up the west side to 125th Street, then came back down through midtown (on 5th), and Soho and the financial district on Broadway. There were not many people out, but most wore masks, and there were some empty storefronts and some boarded up windows, but it was nowhere near the dystopian scenario being presented upthread.

Like in an open casket funeral, just because you can still see the body doesn’t mean the person is still with us.

by Anonymousreply 145August 18, 2020 12:15 AM

My mom lived in NYC in the 70s and she echoed what was posted above.

NYC will bounce back.

Maybe this exodus of fraus and their spawn will be for the best.

by Anonymousreply 146August 18, 2020 12:25 AM

If the young artsy crowd and the young intellectual crowd (college students) cannot afford the city, the city is no longer interesting. Also, it begins to fall apart. They have to bus in laborers from New Jersey, NEW JERSEY.

Paris and London way too expensive for the young and the hip. London has been destroyed. Paris is hanging on by a thread, but that's because Democratic Socialism (Public Policy) is mainstream there. But the size of apartments in Paris is shockingly too small. They need to have better zoning codes.

by Anonymousreply 147August 18, 2020 1:12 AM

Can’t they move all the poor and badly dressed people to farms in other states, teach them job skill, and then they apply remotely for a job? If they don’t get the job they have to stay in the farm. We just want clean and safe streets for our families and help staff!

by Anonymousreply 148August 18, 2020 1:21 AM

I hope it looks like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 18, 2020 1:36 AM

Everyone must show proof of papers, otherwise they are out!

by Anonymousreply 150August 18, 2020 1:51 AM

Just buy vacant mobile homes in mobile home parks in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc., etc., move the homeless there and sign over the deeds to them. The rate of home ownership will skyrocket in those states and the homeless will be landed gentry. The urban areas with large homeless populations will have done a mitzvah.

by Anonymousreply 151August 18, 2020 12:52 PM

No, R151, they must be housed in fancy NYC hotels.

by Anonymousreply 152August 18, 2020 1:18 PM

No one wants your homeless. You made them,you keep them.

by Anonymousreply 153August 18, 2020 1:29 PM

Maybe he will give them bus tickets to anywhere they want like Giuliani did in the 90s.

California seems like an easier place to be homeless. Better weather.

by Anonymousreply 154August 18, 2020 2:32 PM

Oh, no thank you. We have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 155August 18, 2020 2:48 PM

mayor is now saying he's looking to put them back in shelters coz the numbers are so low in the city etc.

Remember he was talking about renting those apts that haven't been rented in the affordable housing buildings to let the homeless live there?

by Anonymousreply 156August 18, 2020 4:03 PM

I remember New York during the late 70s and I remember the refrains of "the city is dead" and within a decade the place was unrecognizable. Ironically, NY was far more interesting during this period and much edgier. It was not very commercial, my more a 'small business' city also laced with a lot of mafia money. You can also be young and single and easily make ends meet thanks to the crashing property value.

NYC will come back and hopefully a different and more fun place.

by Anonymousreply 157August 18, 2020 4:06 PM

Hey flyover bitches, most of these homeless are YOUR desperate people who fled here from your shitty town. New Yorkers have access to services. Only the sickest/craziest NY'ers are on the street. Plus, you can tell just by looking at them,hearing them, they aren't from here.

ALso, Penn Station/Port Authority/ All the malls/plazas, many public spaces are closed. The homeless used to be more spread out. Now they are all in the streets of midtown, where there are few apartments. It's sad and a real problem all over the country, not just here. We probably need a WPA type program to help people get back on their feet.

by Anonymousreply 158August 18, 2020 5:31 PM

Why is Data Lounge obsessed with NYC?

by Anonymousreply 159August 18, 2020 5:33 PM

In an earlier era most homeless people who aren't mentally stable would have been institutionalized, until a wrong-headed idea in the 70s (?) to close institutions, release people and medicate them using programs on the outside led to the beginnings of mass homelessness. Of course it's a more widespread, economic problem now.

by Anonymousreply 160August 18, 2020 5:37 PM

very sad about this

by Anonymousreply 161August 18, 2020 5:41 PM

"Hey flyover bitches, most of these homeless are YOUR desperate people who fled here from your shitty town."

Why would anyone go to NYC when the warmer climates are better for homeless. NYC is a shit town for the non-rich anyway. Why would anyone homeless stay? To wait for another revival of " Follies"? Once again, a New Yorker tries to deflect criticism. Trump learned this well.

by Anonymousreply 162August 18, 2020 6:25 PM

R162 you dumbass. NYC offers more services to the homeless than most places. And the homeless are guaranteed shelter.

Typical flyover BS.

by Anonymousreply 163August 18, 2020 7:12 PM

The homeless on the streets of NYC are transplants!!

by Anonymousreply 164August 18, 2020 7:17 PM

[quote] I remember New York during the late 70s and I remember the refrains of "the city is dead" and within a decade the place was unrecognizable.

I doubt there will be another Reagan to pump up the financial sector and bring riches to the wealthy of Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 165August 18, 2020 7:45 PM

[quote] NYC offers more services to the homeless than most places. And the homeless are guaranteed shelter.

Then why are they on the streets and homeless, the same as everywhere else?

by Anonymousreply 166August 18, 2020 7:47 PM

They aren't. They're put up in luxury hotels. That's NYC hospitality.

by Anonymousreply 167August 18, 2020 8:06 PM

Maybe someone forgot to tell the ones on the streets attacking people that they’ve been checked into a luxury hotel.

by Anonymousreply 168August 18, 2020 8:20 PM

This is why we need checkpoints at all points of entry to the city, and after 9:00 you are arrested if you are outside. I pay taxes and support a lot of staff who politely leave before dark. Don’t press me!

by Anonymousreply 169August 19, 2020 1:30 AM

I live in fly over land. Outer band, ex-burb with newer 2k square foot houses in 3rd tier city. The houses that become available for sale are now selling so fast getting a realtor is a waste of time. It was not this way prior to pre COvid March. Now, I’m not sure if these are east coast transplants, but something has shifted. I remember as a college kid, NYC in the 70’s was both fun and could be dangerous. I’m optimistic that NYC will return. A vaccine with some more detailed scientific understanding of the virus might make it safer eventually.

by Anonymousreply 170August 19, 2020 2:04 AM

Every suburb in America is selling like hot cakes. I predicted this because of the aging of millenials - who had fueled growth of cities and now we’re getting married and having kids. Now it all happened at once - after months of the housing market being shut down. Absence of inventory and a flood of buyers.

The exit from cities is as much about the population demographics as the pandemic I think. Pandemic just accelerated and condensed the shift.

by Anonymousreply 171August 19, 2020 2:15 AM

R171 - you make a good point. And I hope you’re correct. As I near retirement maybe I can swap my suburban home on a wooded lot with a millennial’s urban enclave. I’m waiting out the COvid curve.

by Anonymousreply 172August 19, 2020 2:32 AM

Mom sells real estate. I said up advertising in New York for her several months ago.

Even though inventory is extremely thin, she has sold two multi million dollar properties on 60 acre farms in the middle of nowhere.

One was from New York, one was from Chicago. They bought the property virtually sight unseen.

The market is crazy in small towns that are centrally connected, via interstate or train.

by Anonymousreply 173August 19, 2020 2:34 AM

Said=set

by Anonymousreply 174August 19, 2020 2:35 AM

the cities have their drawbacks with covid-related density illness and death, seemingly perpetual lockdown, and inherent racism resulting in protests and riots.

but who would trade the cities - and the prospect of culture maybe in 12 months - for the 'burbs?

fools!

by Anonymousreply 175August 19, 2020 2:36 AM

R171 Yeah that's part of the problem. Millennial in their 30s are moving to burbs not only to have families but because it's more affordable, and younger people aren't coming to replace them in as a great of number partly because of the lack of affordability.

I lived in NYC from 1976 until 1988. My first apartment, which I shared with a friend as we were both going to college, was a 2 bedroom walk up in the Washington Square area and total is was about less than $300 a month. The area was run down (although our apartment was nice), sketchy at night, but a ton of fun. I remember at the Square musicians would gather all day long and be playing with people dancing and smoking pot. The square was covered in graffiti with trash (usually empty beer cans) every where with and a strong hint of piss in the air. Central Park was all out dangerous after about 7 pm.

People forget now that NYC was for most of its history a working-class immigrant city.

by Anonymousreply 176August 19, 2020 2:42 AM

The "glamorization" of New York in TV and movies didn't start until the 90s. Watch any film or TV show set in NY during the 60s and 70s and the way the city is depicted is completely different.

by Anonymousreply 177August 19, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote] The "glamorization" of New York in TV and movies didn't start until the 90s.

I agree with this 100%. And, dumb as it sounds, I think if post-Covid we get a Sex & the City style show that depicts NY as glamorous it will do a lot to help the city's recovery.

by Anonymousreply 178August 19, 2020 2:57 AM

[quote] but who would trade the cities - and the prospect of culture maybe in 12 months - for the 'burbs?

The buildings housing the culture can stay where they are at, to the extent they can be protected from the urban mobs, but there’s no reason for people who visit those places to live in the city. People can drive from the suburbs to the museums or theaters when they like, assuming adequate security is provided.

by Anonymousreply 179August 19, 2020 8:20 AM

[quote]The "glamorization" of New York in TV and movies didn't start until the 90s.

I guess you've never seen a Fred Astaire film from the 1930s.

NYC was depicted as glamorous until the late 60s.

Certainly films also showed the gritty low life side but even that was depicted in a romantic way.

I think the difference with the Sex and the City glamorization is that it wasn't a sophisticated glamour.

by Anonymousreply 180August 19, 2020 12:30 PM

Yes I thought it looked glamorous in breakfast at Tiffany’s.

by Anonymousreply 181August 19, 2020 3:12 PM

Posting this article again for those who have not read it. It shows the extent of hypocrisy and insanity of Sussex Squad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 19, 2020 3:19 PM

^^^wrong thread sorry

by Anonymousreply 183August 19, 2020 3:20 PM

Meant to post on this thread the fact that NYC is seen as more dangerous than ever due to poor leadership that not only didn’t address problems but had made them worse.

There’s a cult movie called Warriors set in NYC that is a must-see, turf wars and urban blight abound. The romanticization of NYC takes more than one form. Many people are drawn to the city for its reputation of being gritty. NYC will never be short of artsy people who don’t mind a bit of grit.

What NYC will be lack is the high wage earners who shoulder a significant if not major portion of the city’s tax base. It’s too easy now to work remotely and for some people, it’s the right time to trade the city for suburbs, for more land/ space and safety. What this unfortunately means is that people run away from the problems of homelessness, crime, substance abuse, instead of holding society and our government to mitigate these problems with real solutions.

by Anonymousreply 184August 19, 2020 3:31 PM

I wonder if a new type of business will rise in NYC since everything is transitioning(ed) to WFH.

Is that possible?

Or is this like when the factories closed down and all those midwestern cities went to shit?

by Anonymousreply 185August 19, 2020 3:35 PM

Is it possible many now-vacant office towers could be converted to affordable housing? I don't necessarily mean low income, but for teachers, healthcare workers, etc

I was in midtown the other day and did a search on Zillow for 2 bedroom apartments in the area. Nothing under $1 million. It's fucking insane and a corruption in the housing market is long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 186August 19, 2020 3:42 PM

How long before prices drop you think?

My financial advisor friend said to wait at least a year before considering buying an apartment. She said it’s way too early to to access how low apartment prices will drop (which - duh - but I wonder if it’s more like 2 years?).

Not like I have the money but fun to dream.

by Anonymousreply 187August 19, 2020 3:48 PM

Oops meant CORRECTION not corruption LOL

by Anonymousreply 188August 19, 2020 3:49 PM

Sale prices in NYC have a rely moved. Rent prices are what drops first - and they have. I think city prices will take a while to drop. And if a vaccine or other solution is achieved by next year, it may stop any deep drop. If nothing changes, prices in the city will drop dramatically within 2 years.

It is currently still insane. 300-400 square foot studios - which no one wants to live in now - are still asking $750k and more in the Village. You can’t find a 1BR for less than $1 million in the West Village. Prices for small apartments will be hit hard I think.

by Anonymousreply 189August 19, 2020 5:04 PM

r43 = the Deplorable troll perennially, poorly disguised as "concern." He even wrote "concern" again!

If you have more faith in Trump than Joe Biden, you're an idiot a fascist and a traitor to the United States. Go fuck yourself and your madman president on a crime spree while he neglects the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 190August 19, 2020 5:19 PM

r43 — r47 proves this is just a right=wing, liberal-bashing thread.

Nice try, Boris!

by Anonymousreply 191August 19, 2020 5:21 PM

OP and his sock puppet accounts is just a right-wing troll, r94.

If it's not some paid, Russian troll farmer it's some redneck, shithole swamp person hating on liberals just for fun.

Either way, he's not honest about the presidency and he's serving Putin's agenda — to destroy American power through Trump, pandemic neglect, troop withdrawal, bankruptcy, "small government" and turning Americans against each other.

by Anonymousreply 192August 19, 2020 5:28 PM

I meant r54.

by Anonymousreply 193August 19, 2020 5:31 PM

If New York wound just close Hudson University, much of the crime problem would cease.

by Anonymousreply 194August 19, 2020 5:48 PM

r66 hasn't said one intelligent thing.

But welcome to Datalounge for your very, first month, you fresh-faced, innocent newbie. You only have 21 posts of pure, right-wing garbage and you're brand new here, but you know everything about New York and Democrats.

Why start socially networking this month? You have everything figured out with no experience. You clearly know better than us and don't need DLers.

by Anonymousreply 195August 19, 2020 5:52 PM

The people who equate BLM protestors with looters are fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 196August 19, 2020 6:34 PM

All people go where the money and jobs are, dummy @ r62.

Even if you're just going to beg for money or sponge off social programs — you have to go where the people, money and jobs are.

by Anonymousreply 197August 19, 2020 6:48 PM

New York has always been the financial capital of the United States, has it not?

by Anonymousreply 198August 19, 2020 6:55 PM

Undisciplined New Yorkers threaten to have restaurants closed again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 19, 2020 8:31 PM

The outdoor dining/bars are working well. I am amazed how low the infection rate has gotten - despite all the activity. Seems like being outdoors is the solution. It’s actually been really nice the past few weeks. Been able to dine out regularly and really enjoy al fresco seating. But something has to change come November when it gets cold.

by Anonymousreply 200August 20, 2020 4:46 PM

I am single and all my friends have fled since COVID or moved in the past few years so I don’t have anyone to meet for outdoor dining. Are most of these people socializing younger or just lucky they have so many friends?

Anyone else relate?

(I’m a loser I know - no need to respond with that - already aware).

by Anonymousreply 201August 20, 2020 4:58 PM

New York and its inhabitants made this mess for themselves. Lay down in the bed you shit in.

by Anonymousreply 202August 20, 2020 5:01 PM

R202 - hope you get COVID and there’s no ventilator available in the middle of nowhere sh*thole you live in.

by Anonymousreply 203August 20, 2020 5:41 PM

R201 - it is a good point. It is weird to go out by yourself now - which I always did before. Because all the tables are right in the street and you’re being looked at - and most tables are groups of friends. Definitely skews to the under 35 crowd. But I’ve seen a lot of older gay men with friends drinking - and eating of course - at the old “bars”.

Frustrating - but grateful to have some options finally. I have eaten by myself outside twice. After a glass of wine or two, it’s fine and I’ve enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 204August 20, 2020 6:23 PM

R204 thanks that’s a good idea. Would be nice to just get out. I can bring a book.

by Anonymousreply 205August 20, 2020 6:48 PM

R203 Have fun living in your crumbling hellhole of a gentrified ghost town, honey. Hopefully your overpriced apartment building doesn't get burnt to the ground by protestors and vagrants before you've had enough time to enjoy how COVID has caused everyone to abandon your shitty little city and never look back.

by Anonymousreply 206August 20, 2020 7:07 PM

Lol gurl protestors are not burning sh*t!!!

Racist AF.

How strange it must be to post on threads about places you don’t even live in?? I don’t give one single f*ck about your trashbag city - except I would love it if they ran out of ventilators for when you catch the COVID.

by Anonymousreply 207August 20, 2020 7:17 PM

People....quit falling for the NYC Troll.

by Anonymousreply 208August 21, 2020 1:20 PM

From the Times:

While the moving industry is fractured among numerous small business owners, and official statistics are tough to come by, one thing is clear: From professionals who are downsizing following a job loss, to students moving back in with their parents, to families fleeing the city for the suburbs, New Yorkers are changing their addresses in droves.

According to NYC Great Movers, as many as 70 percent of its moving jobs are headed out of state or into storage.

According to FlatRate Moving, the number of moves it has done has increased more than 46 percent between March 15 and August 15, compared with the same period last year. The number of those moving outside of New York City is up 50 percent — including a nearly 232 percent increase to Dutchess County and 116 percent increase to Ulster County in the Hudson Valley.

“It felt like move-out day on a college campus,” said Bobby DelGreco, who recently vacated his apartment in Stuyvesant Town after nine years and is now living in a long-term Airbnb in Los Angeles. “All the doors were propped open, and there were moving trucks and furniture everywhere.”

by Anonymousreply 209August 21, 2020 1:57 PM

Good lord.

Can you imagine leaving NYC for an Airbnb in LA?

It’s literally on fire.

by Anonymousreply 210August 21, 2020 3:32 PM

I see it with my eyes...a lot of moving trucks everywhere...everyday!

by Anonymousreply 211August 21, 2020 3:39 PM

This week seemed like a lot of moving vans. But also saw some move ins. And a few post college kids have popped up.

by Anonymousreply 212August 21, 2020 5:33 PM

The NYC Reddit group (thread? God I’m old) is informative.

Just an FYI.

by Anonymousreply 213August 21, 2020 7:23 PM

A cousin is a mover. His crew headed up to NYC in July and offered fast but expensive moving. Accommodations are CHEAP.

He averages 2 clients per week, usually filling both trucks and driving them to a smaller town nearby.

People buying (sight unseen) half million dollar houses until they can plan their next move.

The funniest was moving lots of furniture to South Florida, putting it in storage except for one piece...and realizing every piece of furniture they put in storage was duplicated in the SoFL house.

Rich eccentrics can be fun.

by Anonymousreply 214August 22, 2020 12:01 AM

The saddest part in this was seeing the Ferragamo store being looted.

by Anonymousreply 215August 24, 2020 5:33 PM

NYC motto: if the aids didn't kill ya, Deblasio will. Get out if you can, it ain't getting better.

by Anonymousreply 216August 24, 2020 6:56 PM

Trump and republicans are killing everything

by Anonymousreply 217August 24, 2020 7:03 PM

[quote] republicans are killing everything

De Blasio is a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 218August 24, 2020 7:18 PM

The gentrification that has been killing New York since the early-2000's is not the doing of Republicans, it's the doing of rich white liberals. You can't blame New York City's collapse on a group of people who haven't wanted anything to do with New York since the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 219August 24, 2020 7:21 PM

I had the opportunity to visit NYC in 2006. But after 9/11 I was like fuck that, bitch. I don't want no Saudi terrorists bringing down buildings over me.

by Anonymousreply 220August 24, 2020 7:45 PM

I love NYC and have lived here since the 80s. It has had its ups and downs and right now it is in a DOWN. I blame DeBlasio for most of the reasons, not Trump. The crime and filth are all on DeBlasio's watch. The utter disrespect for crime victims and concern for the criminals is a DeBlasio hallmark who wants to have them on the streets as fast as possible. The homeless and lack of sanitation are other ongoing issues. NYC is too overpriced to be so disgusting. I will hang on until I retire and then find somewhere else to live.

by Anonymousreply 221August 24, 2020 8:01 PM

[quote]Why would anyone go to NYC when the warmer climates are better for homeless.

They didn't book their cruises or plane tickets early enough I guess.

by Anonymousreply 222August 25, 2020 1:50 PM

Lol R222.

by Anonymousreply 223August 25, 2020 4:09 PM

Attempted rape this morning on the upper east side of a 25 year old by a stranger.

Let’s definitely defund the police. That plan is going really well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 30, 2020 3:07 PM

Sorry, R224. There is NOTHING in that video that suggests this was an attempted rape.

Looks like a garden variety assault and battery to me. Possibly a robbery. Nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 225August 30, 2020 3:19 PM

Read the text of it you idiot. That’s where I got it from. I didn’t INVENT that it’s an attempted rape.

And what are you - some f’ing expert on how an attempted rape looks???

by Anonymousreply 226August 30, 2020 3:21 PM

Here he is humping her r225.

Or do you need more proof since it s a garden variety assault to you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 30, 2020 3:23 PM

His pants are on. And closed.

by Anonymousreply 228August 30, 2020 3:34 PM

He's a black man, therefore he has the right to rape with impunity, as it is just his way of getting revenge on the white devil for making him live in such an oppressive society! I mean, after all, they built this country for free, so it's only right that they be allowed to rape the oppressive Karens as reparations for all of their struggle.

by Anonymousreply 229August 30, 2020 3:37 PM

The result of all of the BLM riots is just gonna be a rise in crime inside of big cities, which will combine with a disinvested police force who probably won't care much about stopping said crime after the city spent the whole summer screaming in the street about how all cops are bastards.

Most big cities are gonna become like 70's and early 80's NYC, so get ready for it.

by Anonymousreply 230August 30, 2020 3:39 PM

OmG @ R224

[quote]Sorry, [R224]. There is NOTHING in that video that suggests this was an attempted rape.

There's a person on the ground - she's pixeled out.

by Anonymousreply 231August 30, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote]Most big cities are gonna become like 70's and early 80's NYC, so get ready for it.

I don't remember them being this bad.

by Anonymousreply 232August 30, 2020 3:41 PM

R231 yes we have an attempted rape expert here who knows this was garden variety assault despite the humping.

I would love him/her to be pushed to the ground and humped and only have it stop when people intervene and then say whatever - it was just an assault.

by Anonymousreply 233August 30, 2020 3:42 PM

I saw a video on twitter yesterday of some guy attacking/fighting two cops in NYC after they apprehended him for parking next to a hydrant - it was a sight to see.

The police have had their balls taken away.

by Anonymousreply 234August 30, 2020 3:44 PM

seems bizarre to try to rape a woman on a train platform in the middle of the morning. I've never seen anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 235August 30, 2020 3:53 PM

R235 - anarchy. These random attacks are going to increase.

I bought mace and I’m going to carry it. Mary!!! But truth. NYPD isn’t coming to help anyone.

by Anonymousreply 236August 30, 2020 4:20 PM

The guy is obviously unstable mentally.

There is a difference between a sexual assault and a rape. Some of you need to learn that difference and let it help you untangle your twisted thinking.

by Anonymousreply 237August 30, 2020 4:22 PM

R236, where did you buy mace?

by Anonymousreply 238August 30, 2020 4:37 PM

Personally I don't blame the NYPD if they stop coming to the rescue. Same goes for the rest of America's police departments. You reap what you sow.

by Anonymousreply 239August 30, 2020 5:04 PM

Good, R239. Let 'em stop coming. We'll save a shitload of money just in payroll and pension costs.

I'm 68 and in all those years never had the need to call the cops, anytime, anywhere, for any reason.

by Anonymousreply 240August 30, 2020 9:41 PM

This guy feels it is his right to rape and nothing is done. The good old boys in Alabama would handle things differently. Hats off to them.

by Anonymousreply 241August 30, 2020 10:15 PM

In Bill DeBlasio's NYC this sick rapist will be out on bail in a day or less.

by Anonymousreply 242August 31, 2020 12:17 AM

But rape is rampant in prisons. This is a space completely under the control of police.

Many rape kits are not utilized, as well as other material evidence, in rape crimes. I do not think this generation of law enforcement cares about investigating, preventing or prosecuting rape crimes, especially the DA offices and the Police Union.

The Stop and Frisk program in New York trained so many cops to attack black people, including dehumanizing and attacking children. This was Giuliani and Bloomberg pet program. They stole money from health and social services (essential programs), to implement this unconditional and dangerous program.

by Anonymousreply 243August 31, 2020 2:16 AM

R243 You're deflecting. This attempted rape, which happened recently, has nothing to do with a man who was mayor decades ago.

But frankly I don't care. Almost all of NYC was on the side of the anti-cop riots and protests, therefore they deserve all of the lawlessness to come. I expect many more incidents like this. Welcome to the new age, NYC, I hope all of the protests were worth it.

by Anonymousreply 244August 31, 2020 2:22 AM

I hate cops in theory as much as the next fake liberal but can you imagine being NYPD and watching those endless protests and hearing all the calls to abolish and defund you - and then having any interest in doing your job? A job which is pretty dangerous to begin with? I wouldn’t. I would throw my hands up and have zero f*cks to give. Most of the cops don’t even live in NYC - they are all on Long Island. What the F do they care of the city goes to shit?

We reap what we sow indeed. I knew this wouldn’t end well.

by Anonymousreply 245August 31, 2020 2:32 AM

NYC cops issues parking ticket.

The fall out >

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246August 31, 2020 8:34 AM

[quote]Almost all of NYC was on the side of the anti-cop riots and protests, therefore they deserve all of the lawlessness to come.

That statement is deeply and profoundly fucked up. If almost all of NYC was on the side of the anti-cop riots, what that means is there is a high probability that the cops had it coming. And since nothing has changed, still have it coming.

Break their union. Break it now. Make the police actual civil servants and not a vigilante mob that answers to no one outside themselves.

by Anonymousreply 247August 31, 2020 12:13 PM

R244 lives in a trailer park in Bumfucke, Kentucky. Shouldn't you be more concerned about your neighbors and their illegal moonshine and meth activities?

Why are you so heavily invested in an alleged rape in NYC? Got a political axe to grind, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 248August 31, 2020 1:04 PM

Well here we are a week later since the person posted here. Has NYC recovered yet?

by Anonymousreply 249September 7, 2020 9:21 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250September 7, 2020 9:51 PM

Do not vote for mask man.

More importantly, do not vote for Trump/Republicans, who are letting covid run wild, gutting medicare and social security. This is SERIOUSLY putting elderly and vulnerable people at risk for DEATH.

by Anonymousreply 251September 7, 2020 10:14 PM

Vote, Vote, Vote....Do not stay home. Make a choice and vote. Hopefully your choice will be the same as my choice, but in any event if you vote then you made your voice heard.

by Anonymousreply 252September 7, 2020 10:39 PM

Vote all Republicans OUT of office.

Are you register to vote? Do this this week.

by Anonymousreply 253September 7, 2020 10:52 PM

Vote all corrupt Republicans and out of touch Democrats out of office. AOC famously put on her official website: "economic security to all those who are unable or unwilling to work" Anyone unwilling to work should be kicked out of public housing and have their benefits cards shredded. Disgusting. DL readers all know the basket of horribles of most Repubs too long to list, but my point is that there are jerks and hypocrites on both sides who need to go away, because hard working people are not respected with comments like AOC's.

by Anonymousreply 254September 7, 2020 10:57 PM

aren't you concern when you sound like a slave master? Or an advocate of debt peonage? Is there any awareness there?

by Anonymousreply 255September 7, 2020 11:12 PM

I really don't care, do you?

by Anonymousreply 256September 8, 2020 12:44 AM

90% of rapes are committed by a person known to the victim. Per the Washington post .7% of rapes (yes less than 1/100) end with a conviction. Laughable that anyone would suggest that police do anything about rape.

If you wanted to tackle rape, defunding the police and using those funds for better sex education in schools would have a huge impact. Funding women's shelters would help women out of situations where they are at risk. Funding affordable public childcare would enable women to be out of risky living situations.

All the cops do is ignore victims, improperly handle evidence and allow people like Epstein to die on their watch before going to court. Pfft

by Anonymousreply 257September 8, 2020 9:52 PM

Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 258September 9, 2020 7:48 PM

Inbred swamp people raping and killing their own families with guns in Appalachia is SO much better than NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259September 10, 2020 7:32 PM

So is NYC back to normal? Everyone's working again LOL. All the stores are open?

by Anonymousreply 260November 3, 2020 7:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!