Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The new deadline for REAL ID enforcement is October 1, 2021.

Does everyone know about this? Are we talking about this? I kept it in the back of my mind as "to do" before the holidays but we got more than a year folks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 30, 2021 2:38 AM

Oh good, they extended this. The deadline was originally October of this year.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] Are we talking about this?

No, the world is on fire right now. We'll get back to our selfish #travelgoals later.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2020 2:05 PM

Yeah because if you don't have it you can't fly on a plane. Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2020 2:05 PM

I have an enhanced driver's license as it can function as a passport when entering Canada by land. Live in NY state and wanted a backup for the passport. Last time I got it (you pay extra) the lady at the DMV snarked "That's the most useless thing there is". Who's laughing now, lady at the DMV?

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2020 2:11 PM

R2 Not all of us are just sitting around wallowing in depression and anxiety in a basement! Some of us have shit we need to get done!

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2020 2:12 PM

Why the fuck are they doing this?

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2020 9:09 PM

R6, It's been in the works for a long time for national security/terrorist reasons with this Oct 2020 being the original deadline. We just got another year bc of COVID.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2020 9:16 PM

Originally, it was October of this year. Glad the pushed it. You can still get on a plane without, you just have to show a valid passport as ID instead. I’m waiting for my current license to expire before I get the Real ID.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2020 9:56 PM

Earlier, February 2020 thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2020 10:27 PM

cunts!

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2021 5:24 AM

I bet they extend it again.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2021 5:30 AM

My state is a mess with the Motor Vehicle offices. Many are still closed..or you have to make an appointment. I'm going to wait until my drivers license is up for remewal, which is next year. I'm not planning to travel anywhere soon.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2021 5:35 AM

[quote]I bet they extend it again.

Yes they did, and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2021 5:40 AM

I got mine done last year. Glad to be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2021 5:42 AM

I have one.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2021 5:44 AM

MAY 3, 2023

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2021 6:10 AM

For some reason, my license which was supposed to expire in 2024 was suspended (i think it's because of my car's registration - which i paid - but didn't complete the smog certification that i didn't know i needed to do) and i've never received any notification of the suspension. You can't go to the DMV in my state without an appt, you can't make an appt online if your license is suspended, and the hold time to talk to a DMV agent and figure out the next course of action is over 2 hours. Seriously, this shit is ridiculous. If they are honestly requiring passports to fly right now when they are not issuing new passports - that's ridiculous (i would have gotten it renewed before all of this but for the moratorium on issuing new passports last year). i get it for International travel (obviously) but i have a state-issued ID card (non DL) that is not expired and if i need to travel domestically, this should be good enough given all the circumstances listed above. CA, get your damn shit together.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2021 6:30 AM

This sucks because I just renewed my license about a year and a half ago, now I have to pay to do it again. There have been lines outside our BMV's for the past year now due to the pandemic. The karen's working at them are slow as shit.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2021 9:08 AM

I got mine.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2021 9:21 AM

I renewed my driver's license recently and was totally taken aback by how long it took at my local DMV. Was literally in and out in 10 mins!!! It was great! The ladies inside were running one hell of an efficient shop I have to say and there were plenty of people inside. I can't remember ever experiencing that in a govt office.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2021 2:54 PM

I hate dealing with the MVD because of the nasty cunts that work there.

by Anonymousreply 21April 30, 2021 2:24 AM

I honestly didn't know about this until a friend told me a month ago. I stopped watching the news a while ago so honestly, if I didn't see this thread, I wouldn't have known there was even a deadline. I figured they would just update me to this real ID thing when I renewed my license.

by Anonymousreply 22April 30, 2021 2:29 AM

You need your birth certificate (or a copy), your SS card, and two pieces of postmarked mail with your address on it. It's not bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 23April 30, 2021 2:35 AM

Can anyone who has recently flown domestic confirm you have to show a passport to fly domestically now if you only have a regular license? Is that an absolute fact, or a DL form of fact? My last domestic flight was 2 years ago, and I was fine. I know some of you will (pretend to) be shocked, but I don't have a passport, and even if I did, I don't plan on flying internationally until COVID settles the fuck down. Hell, I don't have plans to fly domestically either, but in case something comes up, this bit of info would be good to know.

by Anonymousreply 24April 30, 2021 2:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!