Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Airports warn of chaos with looming Real ID license deadline on October 1

WASHINGTON — The nation's airports are warning of chaos for passengers if the White House doesn't postpone the looming Real ID deadline.

The law requires airline passengers to present a Real ID-compliant driver's license or ID card at Transportation Security Administration checkpoints in airports as of Oct. 1. Those licenses require more proof of identification than regular licenses and are generally marked with a star on the top.

But while states have already issued 95 million Real IDs, that represents just 34 percent of the total, leaving two-thirds of the country with about seven months to get them if they hope to use a license to board a plane.

Without a Real ID, airline passengers will be required to present a passport, military ID or Global Entry card to pass through security, even for domestic flights.

The Airports Council International-North America, which represents the nation's airports, warned that thousands of passengers could be denied boarding and left stranded.

ACI-NA President and CEO Kevin Burke told NBC News that "this is a crisis waiting to happen."

"If the government doesn't make a definitive statement now that they're going to extend this, then we're going to have a real crisis on our hands come Oct. 1," he said.

Congress passed the Real ID law after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to create a single, robust national standard for all states and territories.

Across the country, motor vehicle offices have been flooded with people trying to upgrade to Real IDs. Everyone is required to present four pieces of identification, including a passport or a birth certificate, a Social Security card or a tax return and two documents that provide proof of residence — a mortgage or a rental receipt and a utility bill.

To handle the rush, state motor vehicle offices have staffed up and are allowing people to make appointments to present their documents for review.

But many states say they're overwhelmed and can't keep up.

Sue Fulton, chief administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, said, "Demand outstrips the number of available Real ID appointments."

Oklahoma officials say only a handful of DMV offices will begin issuing Real IDs on April 30. The rest of the state will follow over the summer.

Oregon authorities said it will take until July before they're able to issue the first new IDs.

"If we worked 24/7, we'd have to do seven a minute to get the number of licenses out by October. But there's no way that we could do seven a minute," Tom Fuller, a spokesman for the state transportation department, said.

Oregon and Washington state are now urging residents to get a passport card or book, saying the process will be far quicker.

Kaiya Arroyo, standing in line at a Manhattan DMV office Tuesday, said: "It's packed in there. The line is out the door. People are very upset, frustrated."

Eric Silver added: "It's pretty chaotic. There's just — people are everywhere. It's impossible to know when you're going to go up."

Asked for a response to the Airports Council's demand for a delay, the White House declined to comment. So far, the Department of Homeland Security has given no indication that it's open to a delay, although it is considering options to speed the verification process.

With the clock ticking to the Real ID deadline, travel pros are urging airline passengers to upgrade their licenses as soon as possible or plan on using passports, military IDs or Global Entry cards starting Oct. 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 1, 2021 9:05 PM

What is the deal with these stupid new licenses anyway.

I got my real ID license last year. The only difference between the old one and the new one is a star in the upper right hand corner? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2020 10:27 PM

Get a fucking passport.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2020 10:28 PM

Oh please. The states have had YEARS to get this shit together. The state I'm in has gotten a deferment multiple times already. If people can't travel, then perhaps they will vote out the idiots who haven't managed to roll out RealID despite having _15 years_ to get their shit together. (And yes, it's mostly Republican-majority states that seem to keep needing the deferments).

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2020 10:37 PM

[quote] Get a fucking passport

Many Americans refuse to get a passport.

Not sure why, though.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2020 10:39 PM

r4 no one's "refusing" to get one. They just take time and money and many, many people can't afford that.

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2020 10:40 PM

Don’t most people have a passport?

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2020 10:48 PM

Not in the US, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2020 10:49 PM

I got my Real ID earlier this year. Booked an appointment online with the CA DMV in June for an appointment in October. Happily, because I had every scrap of paper they needed (and more) I got out there in an hour. And the reason I got a Real ID is that I don't want to travel domestically with a passport -- it's just more chances to lose it, and replacing a passport is an expensive pain. Best to leave it at home if you don't need it.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2020 10:52 PM

Passport? Most people never leave the country. Hell, most people never leave the state they were raised in.

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2020 10:54 PM

The last time I renewed my passport it cost around $180, for expedited (they were recommending that if traveling in two months), extra pages, Fed Ex or priority mail, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2020 10:55 PM

What documents do you need to get a Real ID?

I already have my license, but do I need any other paperwork?

by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2020 10:57 PM

R11: If I remember correctly you need your passport (if you have one), your driver's license, your Social Security card, a current W-2 form and current proof of residence (a utility bill, etc.) I'm retired and so don't have W-2s so I took in my previous year's US tax statement.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2020 11:01 PM

Thanks, R12!

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2020 11:03 PM

Sorry. As R3 mentioned, the public has had nearly 15 years to get a Real ID. And as stated in the article, there are multiple ways to get a Real ID (passport, passport card, driver's license or Global Entry card) so people had ways to get one if traveling is that important to them.

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2020 11:04 PM

[quote] Get a fucking passport.

Have a passport and also have Global Entry - which is like TSA Precheck but with benefits re: international travel too.

Best investment ever.

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2020 11:07 PM

[quote] What is the deal with these stupid new licenses anyway.

Real ID licenses require more proof of identity than the old licenses. Time was, in my state at least, you only needed to turn over your old license to get a new one. Now you have to provide proof of identity, Social Security Card, & proof of residency,

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2020 11:22 PM

r11 You need to check with your state's issuing agency for the specific things they want. Basically there are three categories of item you need to bring.. Go to your state's website.

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2020 11:36 PM

All of this is because of our refusal to have a national identity card.

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2020 11:36 PM

The Homeland Security website seems to have more questions than answers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2020 11:39 PM

Just one of the 2020 election's many October surprises. Who will bear the brunt of the blame for this one?

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2020 11:43 PM

OH MY GOD. IT WILL BE Y2K all over again... but with robots!

by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2020 11:45 PM

I agree that it will be chaos.

All of the dumbasses who will claim to "not have known," or "i don't have one," will be jamming up the lines, come October 1.

Note to self: don't travel in October.

TSA should just say, "Sorry, no REAL ID. NEXT!"

by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2020 11:53 PM

Even if they delay it (again) the same people will complain (again). It’s been 15 years already and multiple extensions given.

Several border states have enhanced drivers licenses, too (and have for a while). Those work for Real ID purposes.

There will always be dumbasses who show up and have no idea about the new regulation. Just get the transition over with already.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2020 11:53 PM

My state started issuing Real ID licenses in 2010. Any state that hasn't gotten it set up by now is apparently staffed by fools.

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2020 11:58 PM

Can you be turned away from a flight, if you don't have the Real ID by October?

Or will you just be issued a warning?

Surely, there's a grace period.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2020 5:40 AM

R25, Grace period end Oct 1, 2020. Yes you will be turned away if you don't present a passport, Military ID, or the Real ID. Expect long lines at airport check-in for the entire month of October.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2020 5:48 AM

Honestly its going to be the least of peoples worries with the Coronavirus spreading like it is.

by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2020 5:57 AM

A U.S. passport now costs $145 (incl. $35 execution fee), but if your travels take you no farther afield than Canada, Mexico, or parts of the Caribbean you can get a $65 passport card (incl. $35 execution fee) passport card.

Renewal fees are now the same as above.

by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2020 9:43 AM

An enhanced ID (which I have) will be accepted as well after October 2020.

by Anonymousreply 29February 21, 2020 12:49 PM

To those saying we had 15 years to prepare, knew it was coming, etc. you’re completely wrong. Even in OP’s post it says:

[quote] Oklahoma officials say [bold]only a handful of DMV offices will begin issuing Real IDs on April 30.[/bold] The rest of the state will follow over the summer.

[quote]Oregon authorities said it will take until [bold]July[/bold] before they're able to issue the first new IDs.

by Anonymousreply 30February 21, 2020 1:46 PM

R30: It's the fault of the states, then.

The federal law was passed in 2005. Some states chose to ignore it and others launched legal challenges. Only two weeks ago, the Oklahoma governor announced a budget line item of $5.5M for compliance with the federal law - which that state, like every other state, knew about for 15 years yet they did nothing other than extensions.

Maine challenged the law because they did not like the font and brightness of the paper on which it was printed, and assorted other bullshit reasons, claiming, among many other things, that it would cost the state $185M to enforce (or $138 per for every living person in the state.) Utah, of course, cited its strong Jeffersonian principles.

[quote]On January 25, 2007, a Resolution passed overwhelmingly in the Maine Legislature that refuses to implement the Real ID Act in that state and calls on Congress to repeal the law. Many Maine lawmakers believe the law does more harm than good, it would be a bureaucratic nightmare to enforce, it threatens individual privacy, it makes citizens increasingly vulnerable to ID theft, and it would cost Maine taxpayers at least $185 million in five years because of the massive unfunded federal mandates on all the states. The Resolution vote in the Maine House was 137–4 and in the Maine Senate unanimous, 34–0.[48]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 21, 2020 3:45 PM

And this is going to make us safer how exactly for domestic travel?

by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2020 3:55 PM

They’ll extend.

Trump won’t want any bad press so close to the election.

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2020 3:56 PM

Short answer, R32? It won't.

This is just another money making scheme, cooked up by the federal government.

They'll rake in millions.

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2020 4:27 PM

R34 - that's what I can't wrap my head around. Is this about domestic, US-based terrorists? Or a back door way to fight illegal IDs?

Or it sounds like a move to nationalize requirements for state IDs, which I could support I guess if there were states that didn't require enough ID.

Sounds like something else at play. They voted this in 4 years after 9/11, so not sure why in 2005 they decided it was necessary.

by Anonymousreply 35February 21, 2020 4:38 PM

R30 yes, it's the fault of the states. That was the point. The states have had 15 years to get this rolled out and the reason this is the absolute final deadline is because they have gotten so many deferments already.

by Anonymousreply 36February 21, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote]I also have Global Entry

Good luck with that.

by Anonymousreply 37February 21, 2020 5:07 PM

[quote]Even if they delay it (again) the same people will complain (again). It’s been 15 years already and multiple extensions given.

Many states did not even implement these Real ID licenses until the last year or two. I know mine didn’t. So no it has not been 15 years for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 38February 21, 2020 5:12 PM

In September I'll be on my third Real ID drivers license. Catch up America. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 39February 21, 2020 5:13 PM

I had to renew my license so I have the Real ID. But I just realized my passport lapsed! Is it hard to renew?

by Anonymousreply 40February 21, 2020 5:19 PM

Blatant money grab . Just like here in Fla they decided to "fight" the opiod epidemic (after 20 fucking years) by restricting the doctors ability to prescribe pain meds so now you have to go to pain clinics wich is another $150 dollars plus they only issue 30 days at a time so you have to go back every month . PS bitches are still overtdosing left ,right and sideways here .

by Anonymousreply 41February 21, 2020 5:19 PM

I use my Global Entry card at the airport (when I can't use my fingerprints via Clear); my mom uses her passport card. When I went to renew my driver's license a couple of months ago, I sprung for the enhanced version which has a small American flag prominently displayed that I am a verified US citizen. I needed to bring my latest utility bill, my passport, and social security card with me. I have not been up there in decades, but I understand that this new drivers license works to cross the border between Washington and British Columbia by surface both directions. (NOT recognized by Mexico for entry)

R40 - no, it's not difficult to renew. I would strongly advise you to sign up for both be hard copy passport book AND a passport card at the same time if you're renewing anyway!

by Anonymousreply 42February 21, 2020 5:20 PM

Poor flyover at R38.

It's like you're 100 years behind the rest of the country.

by Anonymousreply 43February 21, 2020 7:10 PM

r38 no one is blaming (well a few people are) people for not getting the RealID, it's the states that haven't implemented it but have known they needed to for 15 years now. And the ones that haven't, have filed extension after extension until the Federal Government finally said "enough, no more!"

So yeah, the states are now implementing it at the last minute (I think in OK you can't get one until April 15th) and not everyone will have them. If you look on the OK website in fact it seems to encourage people NOT to get one unless they are planning on flying.

by Anonymousreply 44February 21, 2020 8:26 PM

I just tried to get mine in Missouri today. I was missing ONE piece of US mail to my address in last 30 days. Who gets mail? so I had to have my bank send me a snail mail statement vs online!

by Anonymousreply 45February 21, 2020 8:35 PM

Don’t even try to go to a New York DMV. Our idiot governor has decided to give illegal immigrants drivers licenses and the stories about the ridiculous lines, delays, wait times, etc. are obscene.

by Anonymousreply 46February 21, 2020 9:45 PM

There's no other way to get your Real ID, R46.

You have to show up in person. Can't do it online.

by Anonymousreply 47February 21, 2020 9:46 PM

I know. That‘s my point.

by Anonymousreply 48February 21, 2020 9:50 PM

I’m not sure why most people don’t have a Passport. You might as well write “Deplorable” on your forehead.

by Anonymousreply 49February 21, 2020 9:54 PM

I’ve never needed one, r49. I’ve never left, and frankly have no intention of leaving the country.

by Anonymousreply 50February 21, 2020 9:57 PM

R50 has stated his boundaries.

(And remember, kids, don't color over the lines - you'll end up in fucking Mexico!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 21, 2020 10:21 PM

Took me about 20 minutes waiting in line at the Michigan Secretary of State office to renew my existing drivers license for a new Real ID license. What are all these fuck’n states complaining about. You’ve had 15 fuck’n years to get prepared. I have no fucks to give.

by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2020 10:46 PM

I truly amazed at all those who don't have passports--all of us in my family have had them for years, and kept them current, especially me--I couldn't imagine telling my employer that I couldn't take an assignment because it was not current, or worse, I didn't have one . . . it's interesting to me the mindset of some that passports are not essential travel documents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2020 11:07 PM

Agreed, R53, though much more for personal rather work reasons in my case. I have two passports and outside of keys, wallet, phone would be the first thing I would grab in the event if some emergency. The idea of being restricted from traveling freely, even temporarily, would weigh on me.

Americans really are taught not to be curious about the world, to think everything is better where they are already, and that the rest of the world is by degrees more primitive and less desirable. They are taught that the U.S. is #1, and that all the world envies the us and wants to immigrate to steal American jobs in Perdue chicken processing plants. Tell an American that you are going to some wild place like Wales or Switzerland or Germany or Spain or Norway and too many will quickly raise a question of the safety and even the prudence of such a bold venture. The more dangerous, more backward place is more likely lin their own backyard or their children's school, but they are convinced otherwise. Here there is no shame in the lack of curiosity, rather it is celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2020 11:31 PM

R54 appears to be some sort of snobbish anti-American European/Canadian. The United States is a gigantic country geographically, many people are content with seeing the differences of our own country by surface transportation without flying overseas.

What a jerk!

by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2020 12:06 AM

Some states made ALL of their licenses/ID cards Real ID-compliant from the get-go. But most of the rest have a two-tier system. In California, the non-Real ID cards say "FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY." And it's NOT just for domestic air travel -- it's also required for entry into military bases or other Federal facilities that require an ID.

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2020 12:33 AM

Did anyone else have to present hole?

by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2020 1:35 AM

R12

Jesus. A passport has fewer requirements.

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2020 1:54 AM

A lot of privileged here I suppose, not getting it why some people don't have a passport. Let's see, cost, funding documents, paying for missing documents, dealing with the government offices that suck to deal with, instability with addresses, and no incentive since we can't afford to go globe trotting.

Really, it sounds so uppity to accuse people of being ignorant or not cultured enough because they don't leave the US, when they just can't fucking afford to. I'd love to go to Europe on a trip but will probably never have the money.

by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2020 2:42 AM

*finding documents.

As in, ORIGINAL birth certificates, costing $50 or more, made worse if you weren't born in the state you live in. Seriously, you're talking hundreds of dollars and time off work to get a passport, something previously not required unless traveling out of country, that wasn't happening because money.

It's a joke everyone is supporting this shitty money grab. If it's supposedly been "15 years" it looks stupid to even bother when no surprise, obviously it hasn't been that necessary, nor that urgent.

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2020 2:46 AM

R57 Just Aaron the Cockgobbler

by Anonymousreply 61February 22, 2020 4:02 AM

[quote]I’m not sure why most people don’t have a Passport. You might as well write “Deplorable” on your forehead.

Only 42% of the members of Congress have a passport. I think it should be a job requirement that they have one and have visited at least a few foreign countries before, you know, trying to do their jobs?

by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2020 4:28 AM

Here's the odd part: they will accept a current passport as REAL ID, but to get an [italic]actual[/italic] REAL ID you'll need the passport plus other paperwork.

I do think it's going to be a hash at US airports when the hammer comes down. Even if you have a REAL ID, this would be a good time to get PreCheck on the theory the line will be filled with people who know the score. (I know Global Entry is just slightly more expensive, but PreCheck is much less arduous to get.)

by Anonymousreply 63February 22, 2020 4:45 AM

The Washington Post in a 2014 article addressed the claim that a minority of members of Congress hold passports, concluding that 84%+ had traveled outside the U.S.

[quote]“Congress is a very special group of people, more than 80 percent of them never left the United States, they live in their own world, so I’m not amazed about this Russophobia which is being demonstrated by the Congress at the moment.”

[quote]— Foreign Minister of the Russian Federation Sergei Lavrov, TV interview with France 24, Dec. 16, 2014

[quote]Sergei Lavrov is one of the toughest diplomats in the world, and delights in rhetorical jabs. So it was no surprise that he took a shot at Congress after lawmakers passed a bill that would widen sanctions on Russia because of its activities in Ukraine. Blaming “Russophobia” in an interview with French television, Lavrov accused members of being insular and living “in their own world.” Then he offered this startling number — that 80 percent of members of Congress have never even left the United States.

[quote]In analysis of just the current House of Representatives showed Lavrov’s claim to be false. And a deeper look at congressional travel over the past 15 years found the statistic is, in fact, the exact opposite of his claim: at least 84 percent of the current Congress have traveled overseas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 22, 2020 4:47 AM

It won't be chaos. People will just be prevented from flying. I look forward to it, to have people face the ramifications of not taking the responsibility to do what they are supposed to.

by Anonymousreply 65February 22, 2020 4:51 AM

A Forbes article from 2018 reported that 42% of Americans held passports in 2017.

In 1997 that figure was 15%, and in 1990 a mere 4%, so the numbers have risen quite dramatically over three decades and are greater than often assumed.

By comparison a BBC article of 2018 reported that 76% of people from England and Wales held passports in 2011. In Canada it was 66% in 2016 in another report.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 22, 2020 4:59 AM

Look, Americans don't really need passports.

We have the fourth largest country in the world, and prior to 2001, we could also travel to Canada with just a state driver's license.

We can also go to Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, and Puerto Rico without a passport.

Besides, we have some of the greatest cities in the world. Everyone wants to come to us. We don't really need to go to them.

Sorry, but that's the truth.

by Anonymousreply 67February 22, 2020 5:55 AM

Yes, everyone wants to be you, R67.

If only the rest of the world could go to Guam!

by Anonymousreply 68February 22, 2020 7:12 AM

R66

The new rules for getting back in to the U.S. from Canada and Mexico undoubtedly led to more Americans getting passports.

by Anonymousreply 69February 22, 2020 7:19 AM

You can also use passports and enhanced state DL and IDs to fly

by Anonymousreply 70February 22, 2020 7:25 AM

Fuck, this is news to me, I hate flying so I avoid it at all costs. I fly maybe once a year. I have a good drivers license not set to renew for another 3 years and my passport still has a year left on it. I dont recall getting any notice from DMV to upgrade to real ID. This sucks.

by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2020 7:45 AM

I always advised my clients take passport to Guam as your flight can possibly get diverted to another country or you may get rerouted thru Tokyo or Seoul if something happens to your flight from Honolulu (i.e. maintenance cancellations)

by Anonymousreply 72February 22, 2020 11:26 AM

Show me your papers!

by Anonymousreply 73February 22, 2020 11:44 AM

[quote] I have a good drivers license not set to renew for another 3 years and my passport still has a year left on it

Same here!

My license doesn't expire until 2021, but I'm going to have to pay for a new one a year early, just because of this Real ID bullshit.

What a fucking ripoff!

by Anonymousreply 74February 22, 2020 12:14 PM

R73 it does feel that way. I have family out of state, with my parents getting older. I can't afford to fly around the country, so I've only traveled by plane a few times. Now with this, need to hope my family members don't die, or I can't take a flight. It's a sick money grab and just makes flying another thing for only the well to do.

The gap between haves and haves not is growing every year, as well as the government cash grabs.

by Anonymousreply 75February 22, 2020 12:37 PM

R75 Just go update your current DL. It cant be more than $25 unless you need to get a birth certificate replacement

by Anonymousreply 76February 22, 2020 12:43 PM

[quote]It won't be chaos. People will just be prevented from flying. I look forward to it, to have people face the ramifications of not taking the responsibility to do what they are supposed to.

You sound entitled.

Did you not read the posts indicating the states themselves have not even begun issuing these? You make it like it’s the passengers’ fault for not having it. They can’t get them if the state doesn’t issue them.

One state is “hoping” they’ll be able to issue them starting in July. July! The deadline is October. That gives the entire flying population of that state 3 months for everyone to get to the DMV. That’s where the chaos will be.

by Anonymousreply 77February 22, 2020 1:50 PM

If only it were that easy, r76.

by Anonymousreply 78February 22, 2020 1:51 PM

Poor people can't afford plane tickets, so don't bother my beautiful mind with this.

by Anonymousreply 79February 22, 2020 2:17 PM

r76 Not true. I was in that situation -- license doesn't expire until 2022, so I went in just to get RealID, and they charge the full price for a new license -- $36. (California.)

by Anonymousreply 80February 22, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote]We don't really need to go to them.

No one NEEDS to go anywhere. But most of us WANT to experience other cultures, other countries, and other people.

by Anonymousreply 81February 22, 2020 3:56 PM

From TSA site: If your passport has been expired for less than one year, it will be accepted as valid ID at our security checkpoints.

R67: I believe American Samoa does require a passport. I know it sounds strange, but it seems to be something to do with their specific status.

by Anonymousreply 82February 22, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote]Did you not read the posts indicating the states themselves have not even begun issuing these? You make it like it’s the passengers’ fault for not having it. They can’t get them if the state doesn’t issue them.

Anyone who a challenge getting a Real ID state license can get a passport instead, which they can then eventually use when applying for the state license. The deadline has been out there for a while. Yes, people do have a responsibility to keep abreast of the laws that govern them and to take appropriate action as necessary.

by Anonymousreply 83February 22, 2020 11:05 PM

All states have "enhanced IDs" so you have it already. It's the real ID, which is used for Int'l travel (like to Canada) that may be an issue flying. You can use your passport.

Some states like IL will only charge you $5 if your ID/DL expires a year or more or later. If it's less then you pay for a new one. But the expiration date is also changed. If you get the $5 upgrade the expiration date is the same.

by Anonymousreply 84February 25, 2020 7:04 AM

American Samoans are not citizens, they are nationals. Thus you need a passport.

Other places like Guam, Northern Marianas and Puerto Rican are citizen, (commonwealths). American Virgin Islanders are also citizens

by Anonymousreply 85February 25, 2020 7:06 AM

What states have no real ID?

The following states are not currently in compliance:

New Jersey, Oklahoma and Oregon

But just because the state is compliant doesn't mean the citizens have done what they need

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 25, 2020 7:43 AM

I got so lucky. I just happened to need to renew my license in October. Otherwise I would have had no idea. The DMV needs to start advertising. We renew our license once a decade. It's just off the radar. I don't think about my driver's license. I don't get why they're doing it. I do have a passport. I use that for international travel. But I've flown for nearly 20 years with just my old license.

They need to let people know.

by Anonymousreply 87February 25, 2020 8:05 AM

R87: If you have a passport, you don't have to replace your driver's license before its stated renewal date. You can of course use the passport to meet the ID requirements that will (one day?) be enforced for domestic travel, without need of renewing your drivers license early.

The 2005 originally had a 2008 compliance deadline. That has been extended multiple times, to 2011, 2013, 2018, etc. States variously pitched fits, filed lawsuits, filed for extensions, ignored deadlines, or complied years ago. Sometime within the last ten years when you renewed your drivers license, your state was already *long* aware of this program and the near certainty that they would have to comply with it. And it's not been a dark secret buried from the public; I see articles about it all the time. A Google search generates 3.4 million hits. There have even been at least a dozen Datalounge threads on the subject over years. Sometime in the past 15 years you should have come across this information.

Of course some states have been shit about complying with the law and have delayed and delayed in hopes that, like a tumor, it would go away on its own, but still... Some of the complaints about being in the dark about this law that somehow comes as a surprise to many remind me of the Florida voters in the 2000 election, the ones who were so confused by who they were voting for but had no trouble navigating a complex network of early-bird specials.

by Anonymousreply 88February 25, 2020 9:31 AM

We have been waiting forever for the government in my state to implement and fund RealID.

by Anonymousreply 89February 25, 2020 6:09 PM

This again.

Postponed again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 26, 2020 11:13 AM

Bump & public service reminder - what to do next on link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 1, 2021 12:09 PM

Or a passport, which entails fewer steps in the process.

Who are all these fools planning to fly, just because it's now 2021?

by Anonymousreply 92January 1, 2021 12:15 PM

No one should be flying now anyway

by Anonymousreply 93January 1, 2021 12:17 PM

R92, is the passport office open again? The last I heard in March is was closed, indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 94January 1, 2021 12:24 PM

Lol 😂 even my immigrant ass has one. Americans are so lazy and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 95January 1, 2021 12:48 PM

[quote]Hell, most people never leave the state they were raised in.

Sure, if you consider 11% to be “most.”

by Anonymousreply 96January 1, 2021 1:06 PM

R94, There are Passport Offices all over; there isn't just one.

And for one example, the Philadelphia Passport Agency Office is open.

by Anonymousreply 97January 1, 2021 1:34 PM

R97, the entire department was shut down. There was a huge announcement about it. No announcement that they’d reopened, if they actually have. This came right before Americans were forbidden from traveling and people in other countries were restricted entry.

by Anonymousreply 98January 1, 2021 1:44 PM

The passport offices reopened awhile back.

Plus, who goes to the passport office any more? Just renew at the post office

by Anonymousreply 99January 1, 2021 8:43 PM

Yes, there way a backlog of passport renewals but apparently now it’s good to send your passports in for renewal

by Anonymousreply 100January 1, 2021 8:44 PM

It’s not a “new” requirement...there has been plenty of warning, but the final deadline has arrived at an inconvenient time. Just a coincidence but still not going to make this change any easier.

Also, as others have said up above, you cannot necessarily simply convert your existing driver’s license/state ID without showing additional proof of identity. I did it about a year ago and had to go back a second time with other paperwork.

by Anonymousreply 101January 1, 2021 9:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!