Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are the current sitcoms?

I used to watch a lot of TV but have worked 2nd shift for two years. On the rare occasion I flip through the channels all I see are reality shows, games shows or cop shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2020 12:48 PM

Sorry, not that one anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2020 11:03 PM

Don’t look for them on regular TV, but on streaming. Recent standouts the last two years are Mrs. Maisel, Flea Bag and G.L.O.W., but they would be labeled non traditional sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2020 11:15 PM

I can’t see a photo of Noah Galvin without seeing the image of him fingering his hole.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2020 11:16 PM

R3 And they say viral marketing doesn’t work!

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2020 11:17 PM

The Real O'Neals was surprisingly good and genuinely funny, it should've gotten a third season

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2020 11:22 PM

You know I was thinking about all these cop shows the other day..... Murder mysteries started out as non-police detective stories. C. Auguste Dupin, Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Lord Peter Wimsy, etc. The police were portrayed as small minded, ignorant buffoons. It wasn’t until The Untouchables that America began its obsession with police detectives. It was political propaganda. Polic3 are still small minded, ignorant buffoons. Look how many murders are unsolved. Look how many people have been set up by police. Police are allowed to outright lie to everyone, and that’s ok. They have a whole political system in place that pampers them in every town & city. They’re mostly related to other members of the police & have a military background where they’ve been trained to kill people & cover up their own atrocities. They hide behind unions, police “benevolent associations,” judges, etc. They're crooks who steal from the dead. They steal from the living, padding their pensions & faking disabilities. They demand hero worship & the ability to brutalize others.

Police dramas & police reality shows should be banned from television in the US.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2020 11:24 PM

I enjoy traditional 3 camera sitcoms like Mom and One Day at a Time. There aren’t many left.

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2020 11:28 PM

The networks appear to have forgotten how to make entertaining and popular sitcoms. There are a few exceptions, but the onslaught of hideous shows like TWO BROKE GIRLS (how long did that thing last?) felt like the end of an era.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2020 11:45 PM

Comedy is dead.

The SJWs killed it.

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2020 11:50 PM

I loved The Real O'Neals! My husband is an actor and good friends with Jay Ferguson. Jay is straight but gives good hugs and doesn't mind when I drunkenly flirt with him.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2020 12:13 AM

^ How does Jay feel about Noah Galvin? Is he bitter that Noah's interview with Vulture cost the show a third season?

Superstore is a sitcom people talk about, but I've never seen it and don't think it looks funny.

My parents like Young Sheldon and say that Mom sucks.

That's all I know. They really should consider bringing the sitcom back. People could use a good laugh. And contrary to what the media says, a show like "All in the Family" would do really well and would be extremely popular. My parents watch it in reruns every night on MeTv or whatever oldies channel it's on. A lot of other people their age do too. People are sick and tired of the "cancel culture" and want something that's going to push the envelope. The Twitter mob wouldn't like it, but I bet it would do well if one of the major networks took a chance on a show like it.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2020 12:22 AM

It seems like where I am, it’s either “Big Bang Theory” or “The Goldbergs”. Sometimes it’s a “Mom” or “Two & Half Men”. I hate all of those shows. I find my self gravitating to “Kings of Queens” and “2 Broke Girls”, as awful as they are, but at least they aren’t more Chuck Lorre bullshit.

Also, I’ve noticed that there are 2 hours of ‘Family Feud’ (split between two adjacent channels). Why can’t there be 2 hours of ‘Jeopardy‘?

I recorded the ‘Odd Couple‘ marathon last weekend, so at least I got that.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2020 12:45 AM

I enjoy Brooklyn 99 quite a bit

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 12:49 AM

I really like Mom. It's darker than your usual sitcom at times and deals with a fairly realistic working class environment.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 12:51 AM

Yeah, Mom is pretty good. Janney is great. Caustic and not too sympathetic. And the supporting cast is strong.

by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2020 12:56 AM

r12 Only two of the sitcoms you mentioned meet the definition of "current."

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2020 1:05 AM

I don’t care r16.

by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2020 2:35 AM

I am a big fan of Mom. I like the way the show treats addiction as a lifelong struggle with no easy fixes. And everyone in the cast, including the female friends from AA, are perfect in their roles. I am often impressed with the way Anna Faris holds her own in scenes opposite Allison Janney. I think the writing is smart and funny, which is why the episodes wear well on repeated viewings. The show won't go on forever, except in syndication. So I am looking forward to at least one more season of new episodes.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2020 6:28 AM

Anna Farris is leaving Mom.

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2020 12:18 PM

R19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2020 12:21 PM

R11: Norman Lear hadn't launched a hit in years when CBS reran [italic]All in the Family[/italic] for its 20th anniversary along with a new show he created; the new show flopped and the reruns got better ratings!

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2020 12:34 PM

I want to lick Jay Ferguson's taint

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2020 12:38 PM

Now that Modern Family is finished, all I watch are Brooklyn 99 and the Superstore. That's about all I find reliably funny .

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2020 12:40 PM

[quote] I enjoy Brooklyn 99 quite a bit

This season they are going BLM. See how funny that is.

Terry Crews Says ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ Writers Scrapped Episodes Amid Black Lives Matter Protests: ‘We Have to Start Over’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2020 12:41 PM

Jump, jump, for my love!

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2020 12:43 PM

I really enjoy Superstore. You can catch it on Hulu.

I like The Kids are Alright from last season, but that got axed and was one and done. It just showed up on Hulu and I've been rewatching it.

The Good Place was great - another Michael Shur (Booklyn 99, Parks and Rec) show. Seasons 1 - 3 are on Netflix, season 4 (the last) will be on at the end of the month. Each season was 13 episodes, so not a major commitment.

I used to like The Goldbergs on ABC but I tend to lose interest in a show after about 4 seasons, there are some exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2020 12:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!