Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

GDP shrinks over 30%. Trump immediately wants to delay election.

Happening now

by Anonymousreply 99August 3, 2020 1:50 AM

Sorry. Link to story

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2020 12:57 PM

BULLSHIT. Nothing about Trump. No need to make up lies about the spawn of Satan. He is the King of Liars and will "outlie" any opponent.

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2020 1:01 PM

Trump will be unsuccessful in delaying the election. From the NYT: Even the president himself does not have the authority to unilaterally postpone Election Day, which by law takes place the Tuesday after the first Monday in November.

by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2020 1:01 PM

Continue to reduce spending. Until after Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2020 1:02 PM

1.4 million new unemployment claims this week. Reduced spending should be a breeze.

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2020 1:04 PM

Lol the media were saying -10% yesterday. Stupid Cheeto fucks at CNBC.

by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2020 1:04 PM

It's unfortunately true, R2. BBC just now went live with this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2020 1:05 PM

It's based on this tweet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2020 1:06 PM

AND SO FAR AT 8 A.M. CENTRAL TIME THURSDAY JULY 30... NOT A SINGLE WORD ABOUT THIS ON "FOX AND FRIENDS"...

it's the usual Portland and other protests, and how they are ALL violent...later today evil idiot devos will be interviewed on faux news..

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2020 1:08 PM

Goddamit! I read that as GOP shrinks over 30% and thought miracles really do happen!

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2020 1:08 PM

Trump has no idea of the mechanics of the U.S.government.

He is too stoopid to be king

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2020 1:09 PM

But, but, but, the virus is a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2020 1:10 PM

He sent that out right when the horrible economic news hit. He is trying to distract. He is always trying to distract.

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2020 1:14 PM

Joe Biden was right again. This fucking mook is trying to cancel the election and it ain’t even August. It might be 25th Amendment time.

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2020 1:15 PM

R3, I have been having this argument for months. OF COURSE, he doesn't have the authority.

BUT IF HE SAYS IT, it makes it TRUE, for his minions. Republicans control the majority of the states. Just saying it is enough to cause chaos, which is the goal.

They will follow his lead and NOT take action, "The president says the election is delayed, so I didn't send the ballots out" OR take action to sabotage an election,they are poised to lose.

Republicans will not be punished for obeying Trump, they will get bonus checks.

THEY WILL DO ANYTHING TO STAY IN POWER.

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2020 1:16 PM

Barr will day it’s ok to “delay” the election. Then the Supreme Court wil say it’s ok.

Millions need to come to DC and protest for Cheeto’s removal.

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2020 1:16 PM

Biden in late April predicted Trump may try and push back the election, a suggestion the president's campaign dismissed at the time as "the incoherent, conspiracy theory ramblings of a lost candidate who is out of touch with reality."

“Mark my words: I think he is gonna try to kick back the election somehow, come up with some rationale why it can’t be held,” Biden told supporters, adding that he felt it was "the only way [Trump] thinks he can possibly win.

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2020 1:22 PM

I've been saying since 2016 that they wouldn't allow the election to take place this year, and everyone thought I was a hysterical MARY.

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2020 1:23 PM

^Me too. He has said it from day one.

Also. His retweet from Cowboys for Trump= " The only good democrat is a dead democrat". He wants us dead. This was a 1 day story, before the Floyd protests broke out. Of course, no republicans, saw the tweet.

He wants us dead, he is trying to kill us. He gets his marching orders from Putin.

More Cowboys for Trump from today:

I'm an idiot, and I know this much is true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2020 1:29 PM

Let’s remember that Trump can’t delay the election himself. He would need the entire government behind him, as well as state governments. He may realize this and is only bringing it up as a shiny object to distract the media from focusing on these horrible economic numbers, as some posters earlier suggested. He’s also panicked because Democrats are the only ones really embracing vote by mail while Republicans are eschewing it, and his people might have brought this to his attention recently.

So let’s not lose sight of things here. There will be an election on November 3rd for all intents and purposes, and Joe Biden will win if we go out and vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2020 1:29 PM

pretty much, he knows a bad economy will bring him down.

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2020 1:32 PM

[bold] HOMOSEXUALS: [/bold]

What short memories you all have.

He was doing the same thing in 2016, claiming fraud and deception. Even after he won, he claimed that Hillary had somehow gotten millions of "illegal votes" [SEE LINK]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2020 1:32 PM

This makes Barr's response to the mail in ballot questions more relevant.

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2020 1:33 PM

[quote]Let’s remember that Trump can’t delay the election himself. He would need the entire government behind him, as well as state governments.

Theoretically, some red state election commissioners could refuse to allow their electors to meet and cast their votes, which would cause chaos.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2020 1:33 PM

Also remember that in terms of the election optics, in terms of winning the day as a candidate, this looks very bad for Donald Trump. Only a loser would whine about delaying the election. Trump wants to delay it and Joe Biden will be out there saying let’s vote, the sooner the better. It makes Trump look weak, and that’s ON TOP of these terrible economic numbers. So beyond the short term panic of today, this is great news for Joe Biden and will enhance his perception as the winning candidate who has his opponent on the ropes.

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2020 1:34 PM

[quote] Let’s remember that Trump can’t delay the election himself.

Exactly! He couldn't even get close to building his stupid fucking wall in four years! He's just trying to cast doubt about the election results -- his loss -- because he sees the writing on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2020 1:34 PM

He is setting it up in case he loses. He will sue claiming voter fraud, and eventually say he lost becaues of the covid and voter fraud. Calling biden a fake president for 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 27July 30, 2020 1:35 PM

Seriously-- do you all not remember him claiming he might not abide by the results in 2016 and claiming fraud even after the election was over?

This is just his schtick

by Anonymousreply 28July 30, 2020 1:36 PM

R6, they were pretty much correct, if a bit pessimistic. 32% is the annualized number, for the quarter the GDP contraction was 9.5%, roughly.

by Anonymousreply 29July 30, 2020 1:36 PM

WILL SOMEONE FUCKING SHOOT HIM IN THE HEAD ALREADY?

by Anonymousreply 30July 30, 2020 1:38 PM

We appear to be headed towards chaos. They floated the "No such thing as separation of church and state" yesterday. He is going to incite his base to riot. It is all he has left.

by Anonymousreply 31July 30, 2020 1:39 PM

Barr can’t do anything to delay the election. It is written clearly in the constitution that congress controls when the election takes place. It could not be anymore clear. There are no loopholes. If it goes to the Supreme Court Trump will lose. This is just part of Trump’s schtick.

by Anonymousreply 32July 30, 2020 1:39 PM

R22, stop posting the same thing in multiple threads.

by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2020 1:39 PM

He said it in this thread also

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 30, 2020 1:40 PM

Name Calling is his schtick. This is strategic. Don't minimize it. We're in serious trouble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 30, 2020 1:41 PM

Remember this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 30, 2020 1:41 PM

Wouldn't he still have to step down in January and let Pelosi take over until there COULD be an election?

by Anonymousreply 37July 30, 2020 1:45 PM

Maybe this is what he was talking about with Putty.

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2020 1:45 PM

He is such a disgrace. For the love of God someone drag this traitor out by his ankles

by Anonymousreply 39July 30, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote]Wouldn't he still have to step down in January and let Pelosi take over until there COULD be an election?

She should come out today with a statement:

"The president can't do anything to delay the election. But even if he could, I would become the president of the United States on January 20, 2021, until a proper election could be held."

That would have the deplorables shaking in their boots and end talk of a delay.

by Anonymousreply 40July 30, 2020 1:49 PM

You won't delay an election. Get real, they had an election DURING THE CIVIL WAR.

If they can vote during that, they can vote during this. Just wear a mask and hold a protest sign and you're immune.

by Anonymousreply 41July 30, 2020 1:50 PM

Did the southern states get to vote in that election?

by Anonymousreply 42July 30, 2020 1:54 PM

Deplorables will say she's lying, R40. The media will write four thousand "Is Pelosi lying? An investigation" thinkpieces and CNN will have at least a dozen panels on it.

Let's hope she doesn't say anything until this gets serious, which right now it is very much NOT.

by Anonymousreply 43July 30, 2020 1:55 PM

R40, It would go to the Supreme Court. Democracy will die with RGB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 30, 2020 1:58 PM

That will hopefully be a part of Joe Biden’s response, R41. He needs to be out there forcefully condemning the latest rantings of our lunatic President and he should point out that we had an election during the Civil friggin War. I want people to see the contrast between them for days on end: Trump who wants to delay the election because he’s a loser, and Joe Biden who wants to uphold our democratic standards and vote because he’s winning.

by Anonymousreply 45July 30, 2020 1:59 PM

R41 lol it's not about whether a vote can happen. It's about who the president is. Lincoln v. Trump: different planets.

It's like pointing out hypocrisy or citing precedent: neither matter to people determined to seize/retain power. Keep pointing it out. Keep mocking from home. Keep parroting the media's dismissals. Meanwhile they have the guns on November 3.

by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2020 2:01 PM

If RGB dies before the election, the Senate will approve **Barr's** selection within weeks.

6-3 GOP court. Guess what happens after that. Even with Roberts not voting with the cult.

by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2020 2:02 PM

The Lincoln Project knows this is a gift to Team Biden

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2020 2:03 PM

[quote]Meanwhile they have the guns on November 3.

Yeah, you're a troll, and not even a very good one.

No one is running around like a chicken with their head cut off just because you have posted 27 times that "the GOP will come after us with guns on Election Day." You can stop wasting everyone's time now.

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2020 2:04 PM

TLP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2020 2:04 PM

Lincoln did not delay elections during the Civil War.

FDR did not delay elections during World War II.

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2020 2:04 PM

The president knows he can’t win from a free and fair election. Because the GDP is tanking, coronavirus is out of control, and Americans are pissed.

His only options? Delay, defraud, distract.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2020 2:05 PM

Republicans in office, if you can’t stand up to this president now, why are you even in office?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2020 2:06 PM

The guy claiming he's a lawyer who knows the Army will be out shooting people on Election Day is talking about "Americans" on the other "Cheeto: Delay the Election" thread as though he isn't one.

Very weird for someone who has posted about 100 times each in a whole slew of political threads.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2020 2:07 PM

R54, yeah -- sounds like a fear tactic from trolls to keep people from going out and voting. Good catch.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2020 2:08 PM

R54, you're a baby.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2020 2:10 PM

Trump is in an odd, hypocritical position of saying that everything is normal, kids should go back to school, workers should return to their jobs, but there's such chaos, the election has to be postponed.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2020 2:15 PM

SHOOT THE BASTARD

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2020 2:16 PM

Politico, which is somewhere between center and right:

"President Donald Trump suggested Thursday that November’s general election should be postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic and his [bold] unsubstantiated assertions [/bold] of widespread mail-in voter fraud."

The media is not getting fooled and neither are the people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2020 2:17 PM

"Ignore this. Nothing to worry about. It's a smokescreen. The economy is the big story. Alarmists talk about a coup are actually just Boris."

Hmm. THAT sounds like Boris, actually. Which side is urging vigilance? Which side is dismissing alarm as silly?

Caught you.

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2020 2:27 PM

WE ARE ALL BORIS!!!

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2020 2:42 PM

LOL

Now that Herman Cain died of COVID after attending a Trump rally, the "delay the election" story goes on the back burner

Fun while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2020 2:43 PM

Too bad Trump couldn't delay Herman Cain's death with the God-like powers some attribute to him, lol.

by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2020 2:46 PM

[quote] (Pelosi) should come out today with a statement: "The president can't do anything to delay the election. But even if he could, I would become the president of the United States on January 20, 2021, until a proper election could be held."

Not a good idea. She would immediately become the story, instead of leaving it where it belongs, on Crazy Donald tRump.

Second, her becoming president is not the first option under the Constitution. She would assume the office only if a number of events fell into place. R24 alludes to what could be the nightmare scenario: red state election officials and legislators refusing to certify the election results because of “fraud,” and thus refusing to allow their presidential electors to vote when the Electoral College members cast ballots — in an attempt to throw the election to the Congress, where states are each accorded one vote. Unless things change dramatically on November 3, the Repukes would have the slightest edge. This article from the Atlantic goes into great detail about how Cheatolini, with the aid of Repukes in the states, can attempt to steal the election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2020 2:48 PM

GO, Pete!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 30, 2020 2:52 PM

Everybody overseas seems to be giving this prominent coverage but American media seems to have noted it, but largely shrugged. He can't do it. It's for Congress to do. That's not going to happen.

In addition to the date of the election, there's a date when the term ends. So presumably if there is no President and President at noon on the first day of the new term, it's President Pelosi.

I think this is just a distraction stunt with a probable goal of giving him cover in private life: I was robbed... the people who are actually going to believe him were always going to believe him... everyone else knows he's a loser.

And that's the point: I think he's accepted it's likely he will lose, too. So he's trying to find a way to cover his ass and soothe his feelings. This foolishness is probably good news. Though it hit the markets, so he can be proud of that... he's a loser.

by Anonymousreply 66July 30, 2020 3:42 PM

Ellen Weintraub, FEC chair, would like a word

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 30, 2020 3:49 PM

Wow... awesome slap.

by Anonymousreply 68July 30, 2020 4:12 PM

[quote] American media seems to have noted it, but largely shrugged

Because as pointed out earlier in the thread, this is just a variation on his 2016 theme where he threatened not to accept the election results and claimed they were fraudulent even after he won

by Anonymousreply 69July 30, 2020 4:15 PM

LOL.

Et tu, Fox?

Nothing on the website about the tweet except for this clip, where the analyst basically shakes his head in amazement at what a massive blunder this is for Trump

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 30, 2020 4:33 PM

Trump knew the historically awful GDP news was coming(He gets the numbers the night before), so he had this tweet ready to go to distract from the economic news. Just ignore it.

Haven't y'all learned by now that whenever there is bad news for Trump, he tweets something controversial to distract everyone?

by Anonymousreply 71July 30, 2020 4:44 PM

HATE him

by Anonymousreply 72July 30, 2020 5:13 PM

Oh I love it. Trump tries to delay the election, Red States don't hold the election, only Blue States vote, only Blue States send electors to the Electoral College. Biden wins.

by Anonymousreply 73July 30, 2020 6:20 PM

Even McConnell has come out against him.

Apparently there is a limit. I'm amazed he said anything. Even modestly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 30, 2020 6:31 PM

I think, for once, the distraction didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 75July 30, 2020 6:35 PM

Putin recently had himself made president for life. Why wouldn't Trump take a shot at it?

by Anonymousreply 76July 30, 2020 6:40 PM

I'm sure the two events are completely unconnected and it is merely an extremely large coincidence!😁😉

by Anonymousreply 77July 30, 2020 7:05 PM

[quote] Putin recently had himself made president for life. Why wouldn't Trump take a shot at it?

Trump doesn't even enjoy being president for a day. He'd rather eat McDonalds at Mar-a-Lago and just tweet all day to his idiot base.

by Anonymousreply 78July 30, 2020 7:14 PM

Trump NEEDS the presidency to keep him out of jail. Once he's out of office he gets charged with all kinds of crimes. Plus it's a great grift where Parscale goes around and collects money (aka bribes) for the election campaign and then hands it over to Ivanka and Jared.

by Anonymousreply 79July 30, 2020 10:22 PM

[bold] This guy is the founder of the Federalist Society: [/bold]

I have voted Republican in every presidential election since 1980, including voting for Donald Trump in 2016. I wrote op-eds and a law review article protesting what I believe was an unconstitutional investigation by Robert Mueller. I also wrote an op-ed opposing President Trump’s impeachment.

But I am frankly appalled by the president’s recent tweet seeking to postpone the November election. Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats’ assertion that President Trump is a fascist. But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate.

The nation has faced grave challenges before, just as it does today with the spread of the coronavirus. But it has never canceled or delayed a presidential election. Not in 1864, when President Abraham Lincoln was expected to lose and the South looked as if it might defeat the North. Not in 1932 in the depths of the Great Depression. Not in 1944 during World War II.

So we certainly should not even consider canceling this fall’s election because of the president’s concern about mail-in voting, which is likely to increase because of fears about Covid-19. It is up to each of the 50 states whether to allow universal mail-in voting and Article II of the Constitution explicitly gives the states total power over the selection of presidential electors.

Election Day was fixed by a federal law passed in 1845, and the Constitution itself in the 20th Amendment specifies that the newly elected Congress meet at noon on Jan. 3, 2021, and that the terms of the president and vice president end at noon on Jan. 20, 2021. If no newly elected president is available, the speaker of the House of Representatives becomes acting president.

President Trump needs to be told by every Republican in Congress that he cannot postpone the federal election. Doing so would be illegal, unconstitutional and without precedent in American history. Anyone who says otherwise should never be elected to Congress again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 30, 2020 10:28 PM

Well, holy fuck. Bad day for tweety. Although as noted upthread several times we're not talking as much about the smoking crater where his greatest economy ever used to be.

Well done, Kellyanne. I always attribute evil genius to Kellyanne. She'll probably the do anything to make the screaming stop.

by Anonymousreply 81July 30, 2020 10:34 PM

Can this be real?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 31, 2020 12:33 AM

Sorry... bad link... this one... a Twitter feed of Trump dissing deplorables... you would think that would have been everywhere. Is it fake?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 31, 2020 12:34 AM

Waaaay too witty to actually be dump

by Anonymousreply 84July 31, 2020 12:39 AM

Yeah I can’t imagine Trump has ever heard of The Hills Have Eyes

by Anonymousreply 85July 31, 2020 12:43 AM

Regarding r80's post. They have accomplished their mission by stacking the courts with Federalist judges. They know trump won't get a second term So only now do they see he is a fascist. Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 86July 31, 2020 12:46 AM

Lesbian Friend -- the point of R80 is not to congratulate the man for bravely writing such a well thought out riposte, it's to show that Trump is losing his strongest supporters and they're being vocal about it.

by Anonymousreply 87July 31, 2020 12:50 AM

r87, yes thank you. I can see through their bullshit, as can you I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 88July 31, 2020 12:55 AM

Someone just needs to tell Trump that if the election is postponed Nancy Pelosi becomes President, he would shit such a huge dump there isn't a diaper in the world big enough to hold it all.

by Anonymousreply 89July 31, 2020 12:58 AM

All good R88 - hopefully somewhere an on the fence Republican is thinking "If that Federalist Society guy can abandon Trump, then gosh darn it, I can too!"

by Anonymousreply 90July 31, 2020 12:59 AM

I agree with R30. Wholeheartedly.

by Anonymousreply 91July 31, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote]Which side is dismissing alarm as silly?

That's barely a sentence. Why do all the people "concerned about alarm" sound so odd?

by Anonymousreply 92July 31, 2020 3:20 AM

Funny. No, Trump can't postpone the election.

What's funny is that elections decide on the state of the nation and the performance of the incumbent. You can't wait till things turn around for you and hold the election then.

This is typical thinking of people who cheat at golf, the ones who always ask for a do over. 😂😂

by Anonymousreply 93July 31, 2020 3:35 AM

This is just another desperate distraction from not only the horrid GDP numbers but also Herman Cain dying from the plague after attending the "Tusla" rally without a mask.

I haven't heard anyone outside if DL even bring up his death OR talk about Obama's eulogy at John Lewis's funeral.

Funny that.

He can rage and bloviate all he wants. THE STATES control the elections. Not orange blobfish. Not bloated corpse Barr. Not ammosexuals. The states.

Even the rethug Ohio secretary of state wants mail in ballots. You think rethugs are going to want to sit home instead of trying to win that Alabama Senate seat? Or trying to save Joni Ernst's seat? Or "owning the libs" by voting for their cult leader? Please.

While this may come as a surprise, there are several rethugs in the Senate and elsewhere who ALSO want a shot a the big chair. You think they will just roll over and let that drooling fool install himself and his demons semen brats as dictators when it could be them?

As if. They'll eat their own. They always do.

Also bear in mind that a lot of states have early voting or are mailing ballots out starting mid September. That is what this is all about. He sees the writing on the wall and come labor day (about 35 days away), he will be living on borrowed time and HE KNOWS IT!

This reeks of desperation and distraction. Do not take the bait! Make a plan to vote early if it's available or by absentee if it's available. Make a plan to vote!

Once the early voting and absentee voting starts, he will be on borrowed time and will be even MORE DESPERATE. DO NOT believe a word out of his lie hole. Do not believe bloated Billy. Just vote. Eyes on the prize.

by Anonymousreply 94July 31, 2020 4:35 AM

Add in the horrible GDP numbers R94 -- that was this was originally meant to be a distraction for. Cain didn't die till later that day.

by Anonymousreply 95July 31, 2020 10:12 AM

I read this as "GOP shrinks over 30%". The answer to my prayers!!

by Anonymousreply 96August 1, 2020 8:45 PM

The economic pain is going to sadly be way beyond what most people realise or conceptualize.

by Anonymousreply 97August 3, 2020 12:36 AM

Fed's Kashkari suggests 4-6 week shutdown; says U.S. Congress can spend big on coronavirus relief

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 3, 2020 1:46 AM

R97 I’ve noticed a weirdly calm, even celebratory atmosphere among my furloughed peers as doom approaches. In the old days they called this “whistling past the graveyard.”

by Anonymousreply 99August 3, 2020 1:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!