Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trans Writer Says She’s Getting Death and Rape Threats Over Her Reaction to Harper’s ‘Free Speech’ Letter

"Emily VanDerWerff — a writer for Vox and a trans woman — says she has been getting death threats, rape threats, and other forms of harassment over her reaction to a controversial open letter published by Harper’s Magazine that purported to champion free speech. On Tuesday, the magazine published what has since become known simply as “The Letter,” a lengthy denunciation of what some people describe as “cancel culture” that was signed by a diverse laundry list of people that included the likes of J.K. Rowling, Bari Weiss, Noam Chomsky, and Vox writer Matty Yglesias.

Some of the controversy over the letter centered on the inclusion of people — like Rowling — who have been criticized for transphobic speech. VanDerWerff voiced her objection to Yglesias’ signature on the letter in a memo to their mutual employer, portions of which she posted online.

She wrote that “the letter, signed as it is by several prominent anti-trans voices and containing as many dog whistles towards anti-trans positions as it does, ideally would not have been signed by anybody at Vox, much less one of the most prominent people at our publication,” and added that while her colleague’s endorsement of the letter “makes me feel less safe at Vox,” she did not want him to be reprimanded in any way."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193July 28, 2020 7:33 AM

Rosie?

by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2020 4:23 PM

I used to read "Emily's" writing regularly when "she" was still "Todd" and wrote for the AV Club, and repeatedly claimed to "write at home," so I think this "less safe at Vox" shit is just that: shit.

by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2020 4:24 PM

I don't think she should get death threats but it would nice if someone offered her a makeover.

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2020 4:32 PM

She looks like me and that makes me sad for her.

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2020 4:34 PM

Emily is a big girl

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2020 4:34 PM

Thin hair. And mouse brown. Even more difficult than green.

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2020 4:36 PM

Emily/Todd provided no screenshots of these alleged threats, most people in the public eye, especially journalists, know to take screenshots

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2020 4:38 PM

I liked Emily's writing but she's wrong with this one.

by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2020 4:43 PM

These people can dish it out but they can't take it. Harassment goes both ways.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2020 4:47 PM

Heterosexual male liar is a liar. Color me shocked.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2020 4:51 PM

And he had to tell us this because......?

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2020 4:55 PM

He wishes someone wanted to touch that. I doubt anyone wants to rape that.

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2020 5:16 PM

So instead of speaking with her colleague, she went to social media to condemn him for something she disapproves of?

The need for attention with these people really is unbelievable. What if someone did this to her?

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2020 5:22 PM

welcome to 'womanhood', trans send rape threats to any woman who steps out of line. so delicate, powerless and feminine

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2020 5:22 PM

I always told Rosie her "off-the-shoulder" look was by far the most fetching and femme!

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2020 5:22 PM

They always claim death and rape threats to shut down or derail the conversation but almost never provide any proof

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2020 5:29 PM

Blergh

by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2020 5:34 PM

This woman is a dickhead. A narcissist dickhead.

A narcissist dickhead who is now experiencing what women have had to go through for centuries for daring to have opinions.

Prior to her transition did Van Der Werff ever write about misogyny, patriarchal violence, institutional sexism and general anti women sentiment?

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2020 5:34 PM

That's the thing I don't understand about the trans.... they identify as women but except for Caitlyn and a few others they put so little effort into how they look. A badly hemmed skirt and a wig from Walmart are not going to do it. Most of them look like the wives of deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2020 5:37 PM

R18 - never, because it pales in comparison to the daily toil and persecution of being a trans woman. You wanna talk about DISCRIMINATION? Have a seat! Cuz S/he will tell YOU about discrimination!

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2020 5:37 PM

Stop calling he a she

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2020 5:39 PM

Lol sure Todd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2020 5:39 PM

Remember, this married, heterosexual man is now a part of the gay community. Good thing our tent is so big 🙄

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2020 5:42 PM

One thing she complains about is "snitch tagging."

She wants freedom of speech but somehow the person they're talking about isn't supposed to know?

Fuck THAT noise.

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2020 5:42 PM

R18 Of course she didn't, trans women don't give a shit about real (cis) women. They see them as enemies. It's very odd, trans women claim they want to be seen as normal women and coexist with cis women, but they attack them every chance they get and never ever stand up for cis women.

Odd to claim you want to be equal to someone you and your whole community sees as an opponent.

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2020 5:43 PM

R12, being ugly doesn’t protect a woman from being raped. Rape is not about sex, it’s about power.

But yes, this person is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2020 5:43 PM

R19 Because they're straight guys, and straight guys don't care about their appearance.

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2020 5:44 PM

I hate this narrative that rape isn't about sex. Rape isn't EQUAL to sex, but it's obviously about both sex and power. If it were just about power then rapists wouldn't rape women, they'd just beat them up. Rape is considered a sexual crime for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2020 5:45 PM

A fat guy with long hair is just not attractive.

by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2020 5:45 PM

Let's review.

This person is complaining about getting harassed about exercising Free Speech when harassing someone else about exercising Free Speech over an article about Free Speech.

What a complete dumbass.

Seriously, Franz Kafka, Albert Camus, Samuel Beckett, and Eugène Ionesco could not pen a more absurdist moment.

by Anonymousreply 30July 25, 2020 5:51 PM

She looks exactly like a neighbor I used to have . Add 100 lbs and red hair . Her name was Melissa ,and that fat ugly bitch used to get some prime redneck dick from the white trash bar across the street. Almost every night Id see her dragging another hot straight drunk boy into her trailer. Never repeats though ! Sometimes Id see the boys skulking out the next morning looking hung over and very ashamed of themselves ! That being said,the bitch was a hoot .

by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote] being ugly doesn’t protect a woman from being raped. Rape is not about sex, it’s about power.

Well being ugly is definitely going to protect that man from being raped.

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2020 5:56 PM

She didn’t seem to mind when it happened to JK Rowling.

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2020 5:57 PM

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2020 5:57 PM

"That's the thing I don't understand about the trans.... they identify as women but except for Caitlyn and a few others they put so little effort into how they look."

The thing you're not understanding is that the heterosexual ones (well, the vast majority of them, anyway) don't want to pass. The thrill, for them, is forcing others to speak things they know to be untrue. It's all about control, which is not surprising. I mean... They're straight guys. That's what they've been doing for, like, thousands of years.

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2020 6:02 PM

Dyke at R35.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2020 6:03 PM

So basically anyone who works with her has to agree with her

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2020 6:05 PM

[quote]So basically anyone who works with her has to agree with her

About her existence. Good.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2020 6:07 PM

R38, no one in this debate-- absolutely no one-- is denying anyone's "existence."

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2020 6:09 PM

[quote]About her existence. Good.

LOL - typical.

It's like LITERAL MURDER, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2020 6:12 PM

I'm a gay man.

I think anyone who disagrees with my right to get married is someone I shouldn't have to work with.

That should be non-negotiable.

It's about recognizing my humanity as a person.

by Anonymousreply 41July 25, 2020 6:12 PM

[QUOTE]It's like LITERAL MURDER, isn't it?

Like how calling JK Rowling a mean name is LITERAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42July 25, 2020 6:13 PM

R41 I guarantee you everybody you work with is not pro-gay. That's the life of being a minority. You have to accept that not everybody in the room is going to like you. But adults recognize this fact and simply move on, rather than calling for everyone in their work environment who doesn't like them to be fired so that they themselves can feel more comfortable. In doing that we become no better than the homophobes.

I hate the hippy coexist crap, but it makes good points.

by Anonymousreply 43July 25, 2020 6:15 PM

No, there's a difference between believing gay men should have basic rights and believing they shouldn't.

In a just world, homophobia would have repercussions.

But it doesn't. Gay men are the most oppressed group in the world.

by Anonymousreply 44July 25, 2020 6:17 PM

This happened two weeks ago. And Matt Ygelsias has defended her. More hate trolling. Trump is losing right wingers. LOSING.....

BIGOT TROLL THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 45July 25, 2020 6:17 PM

Your option then, R41, if you find yourself with a colleague who doesn't think you should be able to marry, is to quit. Forcing everyone around you to adopt your views is pretty fascist. If you have sense, you won't join an obnoxious workforce in the first place, but it's your responsibility to figure that out.

Emily here is complaining about Matt Yglesias, who is a hugely reasonable, enlightened person - it's obvious in everything he writes - and in no way transphobic. She just wants to be pampered. No one has that right.

Oh and you might want to read up on (just to give one example) the Uighurs, who are currently being forced into concentration camps in China. Gays don't have some monopoly on oppression.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2020 6:19 PM

R44 In a just world homophobia wouldn't exist, and neither would starvation or murder, and we'd all run around in a green meadow filled with rainbows singing "Hello, Dolly" and eating skittles. But we don't live in a just world, we live in the real one. Adapt.

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2020 6:22 PM

I have adapted AND I'm fighting for change, R47.

by Anonymousreply 48July 25, 2020 6:24 PM

[quote]Forcing everyone around you to adopt your views is pretty fascist.

Believing gay men shouldn't have basic rights is actually fascist.

by Anonymousreply 49July 25, 2020 6:25 PM

"Fascist" and "fascism" have actual defintions. You might want to invest in a dictionary.

by Anonymousreply 50July 25, 2020 6:27 PM

Proof it didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 51July 25, 2020 6:28 PM

But R46 doesn't believe that, R49. He is simply acknowledging that some people do, which is too bad, but he's not going to allow it to have an unhealthy impact on his life. What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2020 6:30 PM

R38 This was about free speech not about her existence (who nobody denied)

by Anonymousreply 53July 25, 2020 6:32 PM

I feel someone being opposed to marriage equality is a threat to my existence.

by Anonymousreply 54July 25, 2020 6:33 PM

Does she have a vagina? If not, she’s not a woman.

by Anonymousreply 55July 25, 2020 6:39 PM

Emily is a high-profile arts writer for a well-read national website and I assume her salary at least approaches six figures if not exceeds it. There are plenty of trans people who are living in truly dangerous situations; I wouldn't consider Emily to be among them, and I think there's something opportunistic and gutless about the way a trans woman in a fundamentally safe living situation is willing to co-opt the "unsafe" label to describe her standing in what more than anything feels like a faculty senate-style tiff.

There is a weird feedback loop quality to what happened to her, in that by publicly positioning herself as "unsafe" in a highly abstract sense, she has actually brought about online threats that I don't doubt have made her feel more actually unsafe.

Mostly this whole "open letter" spat makes one realize why most successful writers have a reputation for rampant narcissism.

(I always liked her LOST recaps at the AV Club, though.)

by Anonymousreply 56July 25, 2020 7:13 PM

She must be so excited for the attention!

by Anonymousreply 57July 25, 2020 7:14 PM

The Transtapo has no qualms being a nasty violent death cult, even to trans people.

They are a male-based operation spreading homophobia and misogyny, the trans part is just a cover.

by Anonymousreply 58July 25, 2020 8:54 PM

His existence means nothing to me.

His non-existence might be a blessing for many......or at least it would be nice if somebody took away his access to the internet and computer.

by Anonymousreply 59July 25, 2020 10:21 PM

I remember Todd when he was writing long, rambling recaps for the show Girls on the AV Club. He loved Lens Dunham and now he turned into her. Okay, his choice.

I feel bad for his wife as he pretty much told her to deal with his transition and did not give a fuck about her feelings. It's all about Emily as it used to be all about Todd.

by Anonymousreply 60July 25, 2020 10:51 PM

R54 And you'd be right, but if you feel threatened by their personal beliefs that they engage in outside of the workplace, then quit. Don't stomp your feet like a child and throw a tantrum demanding this person be fired just because they hate gays, because all it will do is make you look like a child.

The world is not going to bow to your every command. Suck it up and learn that life is about being around the people you hate and the people that hate you back. Nobody is going to publicly execute the homophobes just because you want them to be executed. The world will not cater to your needs.

Bratty, insane, childish gay men like you are why straight people hate us.

by Anonymousreply 61July 25, 2020 11:05 PM

[quote] I feel someone being opposed to marriage equality is a threat to my existence.

So I take it you did not exist prior to Obergefell?

The debate of “existence” is one of the more idiotic idpol accusations leveled at nonbelievers. People exist regardless if one agrees with the idea of gender identity. A theist doesn’t cease to be, nor do their beliefs disappear, upon meeting an atheist. It’s a disingenuous argument.

by Anonymousreply 62July 26, 2020 12:57 AM

I feel like R54 (and people like him) grew up as the absolute center of his parents' attention and assumes the rest of the world owes him that too.

by Anonymousreply 63July 26, 2020 1:04 AM

I no longer give a shit what heterosexuals hate.

by Anonymousreply 64July 26, 2020 1:04 AM

R36 is a misogynist and a homophobe and should be canceled.

by Anonymousreply 65July 26, 2020 1:06 AM

I hope she's turned them over to the police, then.

by Anonymousreply 66July 26, 2020 1:20 AM

How long has Emily been trans?

by Anonymousreply 67July 26, 2020 1:25 AM

Less than three years r67. He claims watching The Handmaid’s Tale was his personal awakening.

Yes, a man watching a show about women being forcibly raped, impregnated, and getting their genitals cut off is what made him decide he was really a girl deep down inside. He even wrote an essay about it.

by Anonymousreply 68July 26, 2020 2:15 AM

I think he needed a shrink then, not Dress Barn.

by Anonymousreply 69July 26, 2020 2:44 AM

R68 This is why I think The Handmaid's Tale should have never been adopted for the screen. I knew shit like this would start happening the second Hulu announced it'd be making the show.

by Anonymousreply 70July 26, 2020 2:48 AM

I would like to hear Margaret Atwood's reaction to that.

by Anonymousreply 71July 26, 2020 2:50 AM

Unfortunately, Atwood's been drinking the TRA kool-aid.

by Anonymousreply 72July 26, 2020 3:00 AM

Oh wow. I read his recaps for years on AV Club. Had no idea he joined the tranny cult.

by Anonymousreply 73July 26, 2020 3:07 AM

[quote]Emily/Todd provided no screenshots of these alleged threats, most people in the public eye, especially journalists, know to take screenshots

Ain't that something? I bet none of them made it to Twitter, either. But you can see any number of threats made to Rowling, for example, at any time.

by Anonymousreply 74July 26, 2020 3:14 AM

What the hell is it wearing? I'm guessing its always wanted to be Nank-Poo in The Mikado.

by Anonymousreply 75July 26, 2020 3:23 AM

We discussed the essay that R68 mentioned on here. It really is something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 26, 2020 3:55 AM

R67 "She" came out as trans in June 2019.

by Anonymousreply 77July 26, 2020 3:56 AM

"Emily" loves being a victim. Comedian Bill Burr was asked if he planned on raising infant as nonbinary, he said "I'd never do that to my kid."

"Emily" freaked out. "She" talked about having once been on some panel or something with Burr years earlier and whined about how "I'd never have the opportunity now." Nevermind that "she" already had that opportunity.

Only someone who loves victimhood would watch The Handmaid's Tale, a show that's explicitly about the abuse of women, and be like "I'M A WOMAN!"

by Anonymousreply 78July 26, 2020 4:01 AM

78 posts in and I'm still chuckling about the rape threats.

by Anonymousreply 79July 26, 2020 4:08 AM

I understands VanDerWerff's narcissistic need for the spotlight. What I don't understand is why any sane person with a functioning brain cell panders to him.

by Anonymousreply 80July 26, 2020 4:14 AM

What happened to all you anti-cancel culture warriors? It's okay as long as the victim is trans?

by Anonymousreply 81July 26, 2020 4:18 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 82July 26, 2020 4:23 AM

How does this person exist in the real world? If she can't handle a colleague signing a vague open letter printed in a magazine about something like free speech, how does she deal with awkward looks at the auto mechanic or being misgendered by a grocery store cashier?

by Anonymousreply 83July 26, 2020 4:26 AM

He is lying. All trannys do is lie. Nobody wants to rape a fat man with endless mental health issues.

by Anonymousreply 84July 26, 2020 4:29 AM

Well, I think Emily would look much better if she dropped the off the shoulder look. Her shoulders are fullback size. Perhaps something in a linen summer frock. Makeup is OK. Hair. Not much volume to balance out the shoulders, so perhaps some teasing or a small hairpiece for height. You have to be a small man to start if you want to look like a woman after transition.

by Anonymousreply 85July 26, 2020 5:13 AM

When I hear a complimentary whistle

That greets my bikini by the sea,

I turn, and I glower and I bristle--

But I'm happy to know the whistle's meant for me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 26, 2020 5:23 AM

When someone with eyes that smoulder

Says he loves ev'ry silken curl

That falls on my iv'ry shoulder,

I enjoy being a girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 26, 2020 5:25 AM

Has this transvestite got a penis? Do they use it?

by Anonymousreply 88July 26, 2020 5:29 AM

I know this is low hanging fruit, but does anyone else think she looks like stefonknee’s younger sister?

by Anonymousreply 89July 26, 2020 5:33 AM

[quote]They always claim death and rape threats to shut down or derail the conversation but almost never provide any proof

Meanwhile natal women have only to hesitantly murmur that they're not comfortable having adult males with intact gentalia showering alongside them, and the trans brigade never fails to rain down threats to rape, beat, and kill them on social media and in real life, for all to see. And somehow the natal women are the bullies.

by Anonymousreply 90July 26, 2020 5:41 AM

R82, so you're just a bunch of hate-filled bigots as expected.

by Anonymousreply 91July 26, 2020 5:43 AM

"Who doesn't think you should be able to marry"

Stop making this the Gay litmus test. Lots of Gays and Lesbians don't believe in this bullshit either.

by Anonymousreply 92July 26, 2020 5:53 AM

R91 We have never found the antics of the mentally ill one bit amusing.

by Anonymousreply 93July 26, 2020 5:55 AM

[quote] I hate this narrative that rape isn't about sex. Rape isn't EQUAL to sex, but it's obviously about both sex and power. If it were just about power then rapists wouldn't rape women, they'd just beat them up. Rape is considered a sexual crime for a reason.

I absolutely agree. I never bought this narrative about rape. As you explain, if it were just about power then any exercise of force would suffice. But this is how these guys get sexual gratification - forcing sex. It's their paraphilia.

VanDerWerff tried to get Yglesias fired. Now we see the typical deflection from that despicable behavior by playing victim. Of course, it has no receipts.

And wtf does it need so many capital letters in the name.

by Anonymousreply 94July 26, 2020 6:11 AM

[Quote]so I think this "less safe at Vox" shit is just that

All part of the preposterous fragility of millennials — if anyone dares to adopt a different position or even challenge their views, they completely melt down.

Which is fine ... be my guest ... but just admit your preposterious self-infantilization and shut the fuck up, instead of using it as another attention-getting ploy.

by Anonymousreply 95July 26, 2020 6:13 AM

we used to know very little about journalists. now, mostly thanks to social media, we know their orientation, their political affiliation, what actors or producers they are 'friends' with...which sports teams they favor, etc. etc.

It's ridiculous.

Reporters and writers have opinions. So does everyone. it used to be where only reporters had platforms -- newspapers, websites, etc. But now there's social media. Everyone can weigh in on anything and everything in a given moment.

At a press conference, after an attendee had transitioned he/she started tweeting about the interiors of the new rest room they went into in light of their new gender.

Um.

Okay. I get it. You've transitioned and you're happy and this is you expressing yourself, but if a guy were to start tweeting out his thoughts on the mens room?

No. Just...no.

by Anonymousreply 96July 26, 2020 8:03 AM

The threats are all coming from women.

by Anonymousreply 97July 26, 2020 8:13 AM

^Define 'women'.

by Anonymousreply 98July 26, 2020 8:18 AM

Todd is hardly even a journalist. He’s a glorified tv recapper who got lucky at Vox.

by Anonymousreply 99July 26, 2020 8:20 AM

For R98

I meant ciswomen — the threats are coming from ciswomen as opposed to men.

The definition of a woman is someone defined as a woman by society.

by Anonymousreply 100July 26, 2020 8:38 AM

So bored of hearing about trans hurt feelings at this point. They need to man up (sorry) and just get on with things, and actually just enjoy life. This constant playing of the victim card is tedious, not to mention their predatory political streak, and will not endear them to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 101July 26, 2020 8:41 AM

They play the victim constantly because they are women and that’s a very female behavior.

by Anonymousreply 102July 26, 2020 8:45 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 26, 2020 9:03 AM

Yes, suddenly they feel "innocent“. All their faults are in their "old" self, discarded.

by Anonymousreply 104July 26, 2020 9:14 AM

[quote]Well being ugly is definitely going to protect that man from being raped.

In one of the threads you guys abandoned because you were getting your asses handed to you, several of you were adamant that you were thoroughly and genuinely liberal.

"LOL ugly women don't get raped" isn't a core tenet of liberalism, just FYI.

by Anonymousreply 105July 26, 2020 9:35 AM

R100 Oh, fuck off. Women are threatening to rape her? Fuck, you people are sick liars.

by Anonymousreply 106July 26, 2020 9:43 AM

She certainly shouldn't be getting death threats for her passive-aggressive bullshit, but somebody should shit down her throat.

by Anonymousreply 107July 26, 2020 9:44 AM

[102] But women have been the victim of discrimination and inequality for centuries. And gay people. These extreme trans activists make out that they’re the only ones that suffer and that ‘cis people ’ have all manner of privilege and rainbows and moonbeams. They’re just utterly caught in their own insular, self-absorbed bubble. If they want to “be” women then welcome to the fact that women have been abused and discriminated against throughout history, and in a number of respects still are. Ditto gay people.

These trans activists seem to think they’re the only ones that have it tough in life yet they’re so thin skinned that a single word uttered on Twitter can send them into a psychological meltdown. They need to toughen the fuck up and just get on with things.

by Anonymousreply 108July 26, 2020 10:54 AM

[quote]The definition of a woman is someone defined as a woman by society.

Then I guess these "women" have only become so within the last few years in the West, and never will be in any other part of the world.

You're a fucking dumbass. A woman is a person with XX chromosomes, and has been since the dawn of time. These men are merely delusional individuals.

by Anonymousreply 109July 26, 2020 11:04 AM

You just hate men, R109. You're a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 110July 26, 2020 11:06 AM

R108, gay men are the most oppressed people in the world.

I see far more anti-trans people who try to deny our oppression than trans women.

by Anonymousreply 111July 26, 2020 11:08 AM

Yes, we already established that I'm a lesbian on that shelter thread R110.

I hate men because I won't let them redefine womanhood? Could you sound anymore pathetic? At least I don't go around calling gay men "fags" like you call lesbians "dykes" every other second. Like a said on the other thread, get some help for your issues before you go all Elliot Rodger on some unsuspecting women.

by Anonymousreply 112July 26, 2020 11:25 AM

There is no equivalence between the term f*g and dyke, you homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 113July 26, 2020 11:27 AM

Of course there is, you faggot.

by Anonymousreply 114July 26, 2020 11:29 AM

F&F R114.

by Anonymousreply 115July 26, 2020 11:31 AM

VanDerWerff

Hmmm...I don’t think I’ve ever seen a last name with three capital letters before.

by Anonymousreply 116July 26, 2020 11:55 AM

Normally I'd agree r115 but if you can dish it you should be able to take it too.

by Anonymousreply 117July 26, 2020 12:44 PM

[quote] I meant ciswomen — the threats are coming from ciswomen as opposed to men.

Yes. Women are a threat to a 6’ 350lb man.

by Anonymousreply 118July 26, 2020 12:51 PM

R114, you really don’t look good posting that. You’re really just confirming that most transphobes also have a bone to pick with gay men.

by Anonymousreply 119July 26, 2020 12:53 PM

[quote] Yes. Women are a threat to a 6’ 350lb man.

Ciswomen can bring down any man with a false sexual assault allegation, no matter how unbelievable.

Nobody is going to stand up for trans women.

by Anonymousreply 120July 26, 2020 12:55 PM

She looks like who Chris Fargo would look like if he came back to life and played a trans woman. Also who knew Noam Chomsky was still alive?

by Anonymousreply 121July 26, 2020 12:59 PM

If you really can't see that I'm just giving the ol' lesbian hater a taste of his own medicine, then I can't help you R119.

Look at his posting history to see him calling people dykes every time there is a discussion of trans. He's sick.

by Anonymousreply 122July 26, 2020 1:04 PM

I'm going to have to agree that terms are different, R122. Lesbians have made an effort to reclaim dyke, we haven't done the same with fag. We don't want to. If you're offended at that term you will either have to grow up or say you wouldn't like it used; not passive-aggressively decide to give people a taste of their own medicine.

Ni**er is not my word so on that I listen to others. Faggot is mine and I'm telling you it is not for you to decide how it is used. It carries a lot of venom than dyke.

by Anonymousreply 123July 26, 2020 1:14 PM

You really think he'd go around calling random posters that he disagrees with "dykes" if he didn't think it was a pejorative word, R123? And I see plenty of gay men calling themselves and others "fags" on here as a joke.

How hypocritical of you that you think you get to tell me how "faggot" can be used but I can' tell you how "dyke" can be used.

by Anonymousreply 124July 26, 2020 1:21 PM

[quote] I hate men because I won't let them redefine womanhood?

Please. Spare us. For every one guy insisting that he’s a woman, there are fifty over educated ivory tower white women virtue signaling to the heavens about the same subject. And most men are trans skeptics.

Stop making this “men trying to define what a woman is.” Cramming it into your bias isn’t a good look.

by Anonymousreply 125July 26, 2020 1:22 PM

[quote]And most men are trans skeptics.

I never said they weren't "Bootsy". I'm talking about a specific group of men masquerading as women, which you would know had you bothered to read the thread.

by Anonymousreply 126July 26, 2020 1:29 PM

“I won’t let them (men) redefine womanhood” is your argument and, again, it’s bullshit. It’s women by and large doing that. You’re yelling up the wrong tree and it’s very clear why, which you would know if you’d bothered to read my reply.

by Anonymousreply 127July 26, 2020 1:35 PM

This might be oversimplified, but I think a lot of crazy tranny has to do with the hormones they take. Todd seemed coherent and logical in his writing before his transition and now it’s all victimization meltdowns. Grown men shouldn’t be pumping massive amounts of estrogen into their system and the same goes for transmen and testosterone.

by Anonymousreply 128July 26, 2020 1:38 PM

The anti-trans "movement" is a right-wing creation designed to sway people toward the alt-right.

by Anonymousreply 129July 26, 2020 1:40 PM

I'd love to know what percentage of Datalounge is gay men.

And what percentage of these threads are gay men.

There are a lot of lesbians who are trying to force gay men to care about something that doesn't affect us.

by Anonymousreply 130July 26, 2020 1:45 PM

The trans-movement is a marxist creation designed to mess with people's heads

by Anonymousreply 131July 26, 2020 1:45 PM

R127 is correct.

The most recent poll from the UK reconfirms what has been shown countless times: woman are far more trans supportive than men.

TERFs issues are with other women, but their ideology prevents them criticizing them.

So they take it out on gay men.

by Anonymousreply 132July 26, 2020 1:46 PM

[quote]How hypocritical of you that you think you get to tell me how "faggot" can be used but I can' tell you how "dyke" can be used.

You never said you didn't want it used. You just decided to call someone a faggot, which if you're not a gay man, is never defensible.

by Anonymousreply 133July 26, 2020 1:48 PM

R120 That's not true. Maybe it works on twitter but on a court you have to prove what you said.

I remember a couple of rape accusations in my country that ended with the women in jail for lying

by Anonymousreply 134July 26, 2020 1:50 PM

[quote]Seriously, Franz Kafka, Albert Camus, Samuel Beckett, and Eugène Ionesco could not pen a more absurdist moment.

thank you r30

by Anonymousreply 135July 26, 2020 1:51 PM

R120 Some trans activist with their extremism are doing a good job helping them

by Anonymousreply 136July 26, 2020 1:52 PM

r36 it's not like straight guys do fuck all for the gay community.

Love to know why you are so supportive.

You hoping one will fuck you?

by Anonymousreply 137July 26, 2020 1:53 PM

R134

The point being: Claims of being victimized by evil rapists are a very female behavior. That's why trans women emphasize them. If you don't want trans women doing that then we have to work to stop ciswomen having bad patterns of behavior.

by Anonymousreply 138July 26, 2020 1:55 PM

requires a neck reduction

by Anonymousreply 139July 26, 2020 1:55 PM

Probably didn't happen. He may have had a Kiwifarms thread made on him that had hostile language-- which sucks, but so have a lot of people

by Anonymousreply 140July 26, 2020 1:56 PM

For R137:

I'm not supportive of straight men. They have done nothing for the gay community. Lesbians have done even less.

These threads are all filled with lesbians chastising gay men who object to the nature of their transphobia.

by Anonymousreply 141July 26, 2020 1:58 PM

There are all those guys out there with little narrow shoulders and pear shaped asses. But do they opt for sex reassignment surgery? No. It's the guys with broad shoulders and no asses that flock to it. I can't explain it, but I see it again and again.

by Anonymousreply 142July 26, 2020 1:59 PM

More terf threads please! Seven a day is not enough.

by Anonymousreply 143July 26, 2020 2:00 PM

[quote]I'm not supportive of straight men. They have done nothing for the gay community. Lesbians have done even less.

That is so thoroughly and completely and utterly untrue. Shame on you for being so goddamned stupid.

by Anonymousreply 144July 26, 2020 2:01 PM

All the same women who shriek constantly about "invading spaces!!!" have no problem invading Datalounge and calling gay men hateful.

by Anonymousreply 145July 26, 2020 2:02 PM

Lesbians have always had a patchy relationship with the gay community. It has varied over time. I can give a rundown on my theory if any gay men are interested.

by Anonymousreply 146July 26, 2020 2:03 PM

None of us are, R146.

by Anonymousreply 147July 26, 2020 2:04 PM

Thank you R145. They forget it's a gay website and could go to the 95% of the rest of the internet that isn't.

by Anonymousreply 148July 26, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote]You never said you didn't want it used. You just decided to call someone a faggot, which if you're not a gay man, is never defensible.

The trans-troll in question has been told repeatedly not to call women dykes, but felt comfortable continuing to do it, no doubt counting on the support of hypocrites like yourself.

by Anonymousreply 149July 26, 2020 2:09 PM

Keep DL LG!

by Anonymousreply 150July 26, 2020 2:12 PM

(The Bs as well to a lesser extent)

by Anonymousreply 151July 26, 2020 2:13 PM

That doesn't make it acceptable for you to call some a faggot, R149. There are bad apples everywhere and if your response to immediately sling faggot on a gay site that says a lot about you. Like maybe you shouldn't be posting here.

by Anonymousreply 152July 26, 2020 2:13 PM

[quote]Keep DL LG!

NO!

Enough with this acronym BS.

Keep it GAY. G-A-Y.

by Anonymousreply 153July 26, 2020 2:14 PM

R153 What's wrong with saying lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 154July 26, 2020 2:17 PM

Lesbians who insist of being called lesbian and not gay will always support straight women over gay men.

Our movement is Gay Rights not LG Rights.

by Anonymousreply 155July 26, 2020 2:19 PM

I don’t use f** because it’s an ugly word and I remember male friends getting “f** bashed” in the 80s and 90s. I know the history.

But DL is full of men calling women fish, cunt, gash, etc. I never see the posters here castigating each other for calling women equally ugly slurs Bootsy.

by Anonymousreply 156July 26, 2020 2:21 PM

[quote]Lesbians who insist of being called lesbian and not gay will always support straight women over gay men. Our movement is Gay Rights not LG Rights.

As long as people like you demand that gay women be cut out of the movement, then they have no choice about keeping one foot planted firmly in feminism, do they?

by Anonymousreply 157July 26, 2020 2:22 PM

As long as people like you demand that gay women be cut out of the movement

"Gay women" don't have to be cut out of the movement.

The don't call me gay female "Lesbians" do.

But then again I have no problem with trans women in the movement.

Don't call me "LGB".

by Anonymousreply 158July 26, 2020 2:25 PM

[quote]As long as people like you demand that gay women be cut out of the movement

"Gay women" don't have to be cut out of the movement.

The don't call me gay female "Lesbians" do.

But then again I have no problem with trans women in the movement.

Don't call me "LGB".

by Anonymousreply 159July 26, 2020 2:25 PM

Yeah? Fuck you, R159. Don't you tell me what to think or how to express my thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 160July 26, 2020 2:29 PM

R156 If there's ever real women hating misogyny here it's called out pretty quickly. You don't see, for instance, incels talking about stalking women, defending rapists, railing against abortion.

That's because gay men, on the whole, are less misogynistic. Angry "womyn-first" feminists tend to disagree and have no problem calling gay men "the biggest misogynists," obsessing over drag, saying two men shouldn't raise a kid, etc.. For that sort the only word that be applied is cunt. Sorry if you find it repellent.

by Anonymousreply 161July 26, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote]If there's ever real women hating misogyny here it's called out pretty quickly.

This is Fox News-level create your own reality nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 162July 26, 2020 2:45 PM

Are you a woman, R162? Because you sound like one.

by Anonymousreply 163July 26, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote] Unfortunately, Atwood's been drinking the TRA kool-aid.

Then she is just as much a handmaid and a self-loathing misogynist as the women she condemns. And in her case, she is also a hypocrite and a worse writer than JK Rowling.

by Anonymousreply 164July 26, 2020 3:02 PM

R164 is a woman.

by Anonymousreply 165July 26, 2020 3:03 PM

Women who sell other women out are self-loathing misogynists.

by Anonymousreply 166July 26, 2020 3:05 PM

That feeling you get when faggot gets said. That's how our lesbian poster experiences dyke. Why does homophobia only count when it's directed at you? There's a virulent womanhater on the loose in these threads, possibly the necrotic son of misshelenbedd back from hell to dilate and screech.

by Anonymousreply 167July 26, 2020 3:05 PM

What the hell? Transgenders are going to take up all the sites at campgrounds and spots at the Home Depot parking lots? Trans will buy all the available used Subaru Foresters and leave no stadium seats available for TERFs at Tractor-pull competition events?

So, surgically altered Ts are projected to be redneck straight men in SW Missouri?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 26, 2020 3:07 PM

Even in the many lengthy threads documenting Joy Reid's lengthy homophobia nobody ever called her a ni**er.

If your response to one person you don't like to throw out a hateful slur that offends a whole community on a board for that community, you're no better than them. And don't tell me anyone who is quick to do that doesn't hesitate to do it in real life.

You can talk about free speech all you want, but faggot has no place being used as an insult by people who aren't gay men here.

by Anonymousreply 169July 26, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote]You can talk about free speech all you want, but faggot has no place being used as an insult by people who aren't gay men here.

Then stop defending the equally poisonous use of "dyke" by gay men and it won't be.

Keep moving the goal posts, R152. If someone calls me a dyke I damn well am entitled to call them a faggot.

by Anonymousreply 170July 26, 2020 3:28 PM

One person said dyke and your response is not to be the bigger person but to start throwing around faggot, on Datalounge even.

I'm over trying to explain to you why using a slur against a whole community in response to one person reflects poorly on yourself.

by Anonymousreply 171July 26, 2020 3:33 PM

Dyke is not a poisonous word. What a ridiculous assertion. It's been a long time and it's a GREAT word.

by Anonymousreply 172July 26, 2020 3:33 PM

Someone actually called a woman a "handmaid" on here which is a clear indication this website has been lost to radfems

by Anonymousreply 173July 26, 2020 3:36 PM

And how exactly is "dyke" not a slur against a whole community, R172? This transloon didn't just say "dyke" once, but repeatedly in any trans tread he entered. Like I said, look at his posting history.

Keep trying to twist reason and logic to defend him.

by Anonymousreply 174July 26, 2020 3:36 PM

Corretion - that was meant for R171.

by Anonymousreply 175July 26, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote]Someone actually called a woman a "handmaid" on here which is a clear indication this website has been lost to radfems

Yes.

The space that has been erased hasn't been a woman's bathroom, but a gay men's board. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 176July 26, 2020 3:39 PM

I doubt Todd is taking any estrogen, R128.

With his obesity, taking estrogen would be a huge risk for heart attack/stroke.

Also he is straight man who likes to fuck his wife, and estrogen would interfere with that.

by Anonymousreply 177July 26, 2020 3:51 PM

THIS

IS

A

GAY

MEN'S

SITE

ALL

OTHERS

FUCK

OFF

FOREVER

by Anonymousreply 178July 26, 2020 3:53 PM

He wishes someone had sent him a rape threat!

by Anonymousreply 179July 26, 2020 5:56 PM

I knew the trans troll would pop up sometime. The “it’s women’s fault that trans women are crazy” and the “women hate gay men” troll. I guess since Erna died it’s jockeying to take his place.

Was Emily problematic when she was Todd? People like Parker molloy and Charlotte clymer appear to be forgiven for bad behavior once they become a high profile trans person.

Katelyn burns contract at vox ends in August, I wonder if they will keep her on? Her writing is terrible and it often has to be corrected after she puts the article out.

by Anonymousreply 180July 26, 2020 7:14 PM

Andi dier the trans woman that went after rose mcgowan at a book signing and was exposed for going after underage girls among other things claimed that she was getting death and rape threats and posted a screenshot of one that was very obviously written by andi herself.

Clymer, dier, Burns and dL faves Danielle muscato and Rachel McKinnon/Veronica ivy all claim to be victims of sexual assault. Is that part of the fetish ? Andrea long chu wrote that being a woman is being submissive and helpless and has discussed how sissy porn helped her realize she was trans.

Most women hate or are extremely uncomfortable being being catcalled at trans women see it as validation.

by Anonymousreply 181July 26, 2020 7:32 PM

[quote] Andi dier the trans woman that went after rose mcgowan at a book signing

There’s a big homophobe. Too bad she didn’t go after her with a crowbar.

by Anonymousreply 182July 26, 2020 7:40 PM

[quote]Was Emily problematic when she was Todd?

No. He was your typical male feminist, paying lip service to women and the LGBT community but nothing controversial like Clymer. Really he was just a tv recapper who was known for being more navel-gazing and ponderous than necessary. His wife looks like she could be his sister. They’re both obese nerds with buck teeth, though Todd’s has his since fixed.

by Anonymousreply 183July 26, 2020 7:44 PM

And he still feels entitled to cockblock other men. He is still a heterosexual white male with heterosexual white male privilege, and he always will be.

by Anonymousreply 184July 26, 2020 7:59 PM

he had a bit of an exchange, I recall, with Kevin Williamson over that stalking series that Maggie Q and Dermott McDermott (?) were in.

Kevin was like: don't watch it if you don't like more or less.

It was awkward.

It just reminded me that more often than not tv critics and reporters only look at things how they affect them, not necessarily their readers.

Generally.

by Anonymousreply 185July 26, 2020 10:08 PM

Kevin was like: 'if you don't like it, don't watch it' more or less.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 186July 26, 2020 10:08 PM

R185 Back when he was at the AV Club, he would get his panties in a wad over violence on TV, but only when it came to shows he wasn't a fan of. He had a real hard-on over violence on Criminal Minds, but would defend the violence on The Sopranos and Hannibal, both of which were much more brutal.

Also, it was super-obvious he hadn't seen all of the episode of Criminal Minds that he talked about because he got a bunch of stuff wrong.

by Anonymousreply 187July 27, 2020 5:20 AM

Oh, I didn't watch the stalking series myself, even though I've had a crush on Dylan McDermott since I was a gayling, because my sister was stalked for years, and after dealing with that IRL, I just didn't want to. Unlike "Emily" I didn't make a big thing about it, because I'm not insane.

by Anonymousreply 188July 27, 2020 5:23 AM

It's worse than I thought. LOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 27, 2020 5:27 AM

R189: All I could think about reading that was this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 27, 2020 5:34 AM

If the “threats” happened then there should be receipts readily available. No receipts means it absolutely didn’t happen.

There’s only one side that threatens rape and death in this whole “debate” and it ain’t the “TERFs.”

by Anonymousreply 191July 27, 2020 12:58 PM

Listen, dumbass @ R174. Don't take your nasty little issues up with me. The whole world does not have to bend to suit your narrow vision of it.

Take it up with these dykes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 27, 2020 1:05 PM

Are the, (snigger), who are threatening to rape him, aware they will need to bring their own step;adder?

by Anonymousreply 193July 28, 2020 7:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!