Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV critic "comes out as trans"

Inspired by The Handmaid's Tale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 4, 2019 10:36 PM

Emily and her wife. They're going to look so alike in the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 3, 2019 3:15 PM

Twinsies

by Anonymousreply 2June 3, 2019 3:19 PM

Todd VanderWerff the former AV Club critic? Wow, not what I expected.

by Anonymousreply 3June 3, 2019 3:24 PM

So happy these awkward straight men are coming out in support of gay rights.

by Anonymousreply 4June 3, 2019 3:26 PM

Yet another selfish hetero male making gay rights struggles all about himself. Fuck you, fuck your privileged white hetero male gaze, and fuck every TV show EVER that has been made because of it.

by Anonymousreply 5June 3, 2019 3:35 PM

That sweater is pretty lesbicious.

by Anonymousreply 6June 3, 2019 3:38 PM

Never heard of him/her

by Anonymousreply 7June 3, 2019 3:38 PM

That’s a surprise. Happy for her.

by Anonymousreply 8June 3, 2019 3:54 PM

It seems like the only way some white men can be made to care about women's rights is to delusionally think they are women and then, and only then, actually fight for women. Some of us don't have to feign womanhood to support the rights of women.

by Anonymousreply 9June 3, 2019 6:44 PM

Trans ladies like her are doing their bit to raise up the attractiveness average of lesbians as a group so good for her.

by Anonymousreply 10June 3, 2019 6:55 PM

Another middle-class white straight man with a fetish, thinking he should be moved to the top of the civil rights activism list.

by Anonymousreply 11June 3, 2019 8:26 PM

This mental illness that affects straight males is almost always white guys for some reason in the west. Do straight white men have such a strong fetish for lesbians or what? I know that per capita there are a lot more fem gay male transgenders and they tend to be non-white but why would a fairlymasculine straight white male do this? They are the most privileged group and end up doing something so fucked up and hurting others at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 12June 3, 2019 8:41 PM

Why does this person make you so angry? Or are you scared? What exactly about this person makes you so angry and scared? Hmmm????

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]This mental illness that affects straight males is almost always white guys for some reason in the west.

The show Pose features five trans female actors of colour (three of them in lead roles), but sure, it's "almost always" white men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2019 8:47 PM

Having read Todd’s work over the years I’m... not remotely surprised. He’s exactly the kind of navel-gazing, self-hating, white boy intelligensia type that would make this kind of declaration and think it means something.

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2019 8:48 PM

The guys on Pose are all self loathing homosexual men. Guys like Todd and his ilk are straight white men with a fetish. There’s a difference because there is a different level of acceptance in those two communities.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2019 8:51 PM

The term 'white' being used as a pejorative 11 times in this thread already.

Keep pushing that line of thinking and see how peoples support for your cause slowly vanishes...

by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2019 8:54 PM

R14 You damn idiot. Can you read my full paragraph. In the straight male population that do have transgenderism, it is almost always white men in the west. I did alsi mention that the gay male trans do tend to be of color. Let me guess, are you a straight white male?

by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2019 8:59 PM

Edit: ALSO

by Anonymousreply 19June 3, 2019 9:01 PM

Edit: mentioned

by Anonymousreply 20June 3, 2019 9:01 PM

Trannies, breeders, and bitches ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 21June 3, 2019 9:03 PM

Edit: question mark at the end of second sentence

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2019 9:03 PM

spoken like a true fascist r21

by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2019 9:10 PM

Good for him. But why did he feel the need to write 25,000 words explaining his every feeling and thought to us? Self-obsessed much?

by Anonymousreply 24June 3, 2019 9:16 PM

[quote]Acknowledging my womanhood also meant acknowledging my tendency toward catastrophic thinking...

And maybe if the writer had dealt with his catastrophic thinking, he wouldn't have made such a catastrophic decision.

These guys who are "transitioning" in order to become "lesbians" are really getting annoying. I used to think the Michfest woman were going too far. Now I understand their position. This isn't dysphoria. This is autogynephilia. This person is why the word "transvestite" exists. Remove the shame over transvestitism, and this shit stops.

[quote]My name is Emily VanDerWerff. I fought hard for that name...

Emily didn't fight for shit. Emily is riding the coattails of people who have faced deep internal struggles of societal pushback to the concept of gender dysphoria. Emily is giddy with the prospect of being a real girl, while painting the decision as a deeply political and terrifying prospect.Emily uses absurd metaphors to address privilege, while using that privilege to jump on a platform to produce a gigantic piece of self-indulgent claptrap.

I feel for the women, the gay kids, and the people with gender dysphoria who are getting trampled by these fake queers.

by Anonymousreply 25June 3, 2019 9:33 PM

"Why does this person make you so angry? "

It's the way the straight white male autogynophiles have been harassing lesbians, dear. They have done their damndest to ruin lesbian social life, and to stop lesbians from being a political force for any cause but theirs.

Now go read up on what autogynophiles and crossdressers have been doing to the lesbian community before you open your trap again!

by Anonymousreply 26June 3, 2019 10:09 PM

Why do all these freaks want to be women? It's actually quite disgusting. If any transwoman wants to have a period, she can take mine.

by Anonymousreply 27June 3, 2019 10:10 PM

How is cultural appropriation taboo among this lot but this fool gets to talk about his ”womanhood” and not only do the SJWs nod along but they’ve actually gotten laws passed with a jail term for refusing to play along with his delusions?

by Anonymousreply 28June 3, 2019 10:15 PM

r26 why specify white like it has anything to do with it? See I and most decent agree wih everything else there but then you start tinging what your saying with a nasty racist undertone. You are aware that the trans agenda is being pushed by the SJW identity politics crowd, the exact crowd who love screaming about the evil "white people" while they ram home ridiculous garbage like the trans stuff.

by Anonymousreply 29June 3, 2019 10:23 PM

LGBT people= they're just like you! (aka stupid as shit and liable to say and believe something ignorant like your Trump supporting relatives). Some of you fucks clutching your pearls are the same assholes in other threads calling women "fish" and "frau" and denigrating other gay men (hell, even straight men that they wish desperately were gay as well). Save the fake ass feminism and pro-gay sentiment

I gotta say, this "trans agenda" shit is hilarious. Outside of the western world transgender people have existed and been accepted as a fact of life for CENTURIES. Guess that's the "trans lobby" at work? Are you bigoted idiots gonna blame that on self hating white men as well?

by Anonymousreply 30June 3, 2019 10:39 PM

Tell you what, Trans Activist. Admit that the systematic harassment of lesbians by transwomen and the attempts of transwomen to change lesbian culture to their own benefit is wrong, and I might take something you say seriously.

That's not a promise, though. I'm just giving you a tiny bit of hope.

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2019 10:51 PM

So a bigot is now someone who thinks women should have the right to only take other women as sexual partners and not obvious imposters like this heterosexual male pig fucker?

by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2019 10:54 PM

He is the one who needs to question his genital preferences for not liking cock.

by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2019 10:54 PM

You mean like in Pakistan, R30, where transgenders have laws protecting them but gays have nothing?

The same Pakistan where , because of extreme homophobia, for centuries gay men have been forced to become transgender in order to survive?

by Anonymousreply 34June 3, 2019 10:59 PM

R30 except, the ‘acceptance’ is often a form of homophobia. That is they can’t see men being feline or attracted to men, therefore it is socially more acceptable for them to be ‘really’ women trapped in male bodies. It’s always interesting when westerners use this as a way to shut up gay people. It’s actually your low level knowledge that takes the link between trans and gay in western context to mean the same it other cultures. It doesn’t. There is high level homophobia in pascifika cultures; Tongan, Samoan etc, but yes, fa'afafine (third gender/ trans) is more acceptable. Men are masculine and heterosexual to these cultures. If you aren’t that, then its better that you are a ‘woman’. It’s not progressive.

by Anonymousreply 35June 3, 2019 11:03 PM

R35 * feminine. Oh, and no I don’t believe in some tin-hat conspiracy that there is a trans lobby as such. There is a shaming of gay people (like you have done) to a line and cajole people to ‘step’ aside and give formerly gay organisations to trans. And that is actually not trans, but bi/queer women that do it the most. It’s a common thing I see from them and makes me not trust them.

And your example of non-western trans is funny. That is there is virtually not AGP (trans *lesbians* to you) in these societies. It’s only extremely effeminate and natal homosexuals that transition in here societies. Lmao

by Anonymousreply 36June 3, 2019 11:09 PM

Trans are mosquitoes sucking on everybody's last fucking nerve. They were never asked to join up with gay people, they just barged into our house and sat down on the plants and broke all the mirrors with their deluded shrieking expressions. Fuck them all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2019 11:18 PM

Getting back to Tood, he is a straight married man. He’s been with his wife for years. Somehow now straight married men like him get to be front and center in the gay rights movement. How does this happen?

by Anonymousreply 38June 3, 2019 11:23 PM

Heterosexual males, especially of the white and non-Jewish variety, can't stand not being the center of everything, so they pull stupid stunts like this to maintain their heteromale special snowflake master race status.

by Anonymousreply 39June 3, 2019 11:40 PM

r39 posting from some opposite dimesion, or perhaps the 1950s

by Anonymousreply 40June 3, 2019 11:42 PM

But R39, they're suffering DISCRIMINATION! Which ought to move them to the front of everyone's civil rights and social activism priorities list!

Because everyone else who suffers discrimination is used to it, it's worse for them.

by Anonymousreply 41June 3, 2019 11:47 PM

[quote]Outside of the western world transgender people have existed and been accepted as a fact of life for CENTURIES.

r30 "Gender" as a concept and in practice differs GREATLY between societies and civilizations. A "man" in present day USA society is VERY different from a "man" in any given Native American tribe circa AD 1400 (and what "man" meant also varied greatly between tribes!). Why are you pretending (read as: lying) about the actualization of "transgender" throughout history without accounting for this obvious discrepency? A "trans women" today wouldn't have any idea how a "woman" in a Native American tribe was presented and considered, but you still think they would be a "trans woman?" They wouldn't even know what they was supposed to be "feeling!"

by Anonymousreply 42June 4, 2019 12:01 AM

this would've never happened if this guy had a real job!

by Anonymousreply 43June 4, 2019 12:04 AM

R35: It's also sexist because it assumes women only exist as fucktoys and baby machines for men. Other men can serve the former purpose but not the latter.

by Anonymousreply 44June 4, 2019 12:05 AM

Mememe the article

by Anonymousreply 45June 4, 2019 12:22 AM

Man, some of you people are real nutjobs and idiots. Someone born of the male sex, yet identifies as a woman, culturally and even physically, taking on gender roles of women is trans or "third gender" which is used in non Western cultures. Regardless of what gender does what in whatever culture, the categorizations still exist WITHIN those cultures, that isn't me or anyone else as a Westerner forcing the label onto them, they already recognize trans identities. At the end of the day, when you trash trans people, you're still trashing their nature.

Some of you really should just admit that your fascists trying to impose a hierarchy that gay men have to be at the top of. You only ever give a shit about lesbians and women when it suits you, bisexuals get treated like shit by gay and straight people, and god forbid trans people get any attention as the LGBT rights movement makes headway (yea, not gay rights, LGBT rights, get over it, gay men are not the only sexual/gender minorities who exist on the planet)

by Anonymousreply 46June 4, 2019 12:36 AM

R46 you again are cleverly skipping over the point. AGP trans is in no way related to HSTS. HSTS are the ones who you view as being ‘born in the wrong body’ - debatable, but I’m not getting into that atm. These tend of be extremely effeminate and have a desire to transition or act as a girl before puberty or a sexual desire. AGP trans is linked to SEXUALITY. These types don’t ‘feel’ they aren’t men until puberty and sexual desire comes in. Different phenomena.

by Anonymousreply 47June 4, 2019 12:51 AM

r46 Surprising no one, you're wrong again. This is YOU trying to impose a present-day western cultural interpretation on gender and reflect it onto other cultures, which not only ignores any given cultures history and traditions, but also manifests as a kind of bizarre sociological imperialism. You're so eager to proclaim your "wokeness" that you don't even mind that you're trashing literally thousands of rich human civilizations and cultures to do it.

[quote] (yea, not gay rights, LGBT rights, get over it, gay men are not the only sexual/gender minorities who exist on the planet)

Literally go fuck yourself.

by Anonymousreply 48June 4, 2019 12:53 AM

Go dilate r46

by Anonymousreply 49June 4, 2019 1:02 AM

I’ve been a fan of Todd/Emily’s review since back in his A.V. Club days. Followed her (them?) over to Vox and am a bit surprised, but happy for them.

It is beyond sad that their own brethren in the LGBTQ community can’t be supportive of them too. For shame.

by Anonymousreply 50June 4, 2019 1:02 AM

You heard it here first, folks! Being a male born sexually attracted to other males means you must also support any other group that gets tagged onto your initialism.

by Anonymousreply 51June 4, 2019 1:09 AM

R3 That's him.

by Anonymousreply 52June 4, 2019 1:16 AM

R46 needs to educate himself about third gender societies. They're don't see themselves as trans they'd be offended if you called them trans you need to zip up your xenocentric Western chauvinsm and put it back in your pants.

by Anonymousreply 53June 4, 2019 1:18 AM

If you fucked yourself more often r48 you wouldnt be bitching and moaning. Im not trying to be "woke", im just not an asshole bigot denying someones existence or life choices as a result of that existence. You're so hellbent on denying the obvious (non Westerners acknowledge gender non conformity as a separate identity than "man" and "woman" which functionally translates to "trans" in Western society), get over it, youre wrong.

by Anonymousreply 54June 4, 2019 1:24 AM

And actually r53, youre slightly wrong, they would be offended if you called them gay men and didnt acknowledge them as their preferred gender identity. Which is exactly what the transphobic bigots in this thread do by implying theyre "gay men who have been forced to be trans" or "mentally ill" (which was said about gay in the 1970s, bravo gay men for picking up the bigot torch)

by Anonymousreply 55June 4, 2019 1:29 AM

[quote]Im not trying to be "woke", im just not an asshole bigot denying someones existence or life choices as a result of that existence. Yo

Thinking of oneself as "not an asshole bigot denying someone's existence or life choices as a result of that existence" to the extent that you contort yourself into cultural imperialistic positions like the ones you've expressed here is the functional equivalent of "being woke." They are one and the same. You're letting yourself be led down bizarre, often contradictory mental paths, and further claiming that anyone who disagrees with you is a bigot. That's woke with extra steps!

You don't get that I (probably most of this thread) are NOT talking about the homosexual trans women (i.e. MTF who date/fuck males). They are (almost) never the problem, it's the heterosexuals (i.e. MTF who date/fuck females, and call themselves lesbian smh).

And please, just stop trying to play "internet sociologist/anthropologist." You're embarrassing yourself with your continued, totally incorrect statements trying to force "trans" into other cultures. It's ridiculous and honestly a little pathetic. Anything to be woke, though, eh??

by Anonymousreply 56June 4, 2019 1:33 AM

[quote]im just not an asshole bigot denying someones existence

Lol, this fucking line. People exist, whether we acknowledge their precious personal identity or no. No one is mentally zapping anyone else out of actual physical existence. Todd VanDerWerff exists, he exists as what he is, a big fat straight married white dude from South Dakota. He doesn’t just get to opt in to being female because he feels sad about watching Handmaid’s Tale. If anything his fascination with a tv show about the subjugation and actual torture of women should raise a red flag, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 57June 4, 2019 1:35 AM

"Some of us don't have to feign womanhood to support the rights of women."

But calling transwomen "fake" makes you a misogynist bigot all the same.

So bigotry must be working out really well for you as a way to bolster poor self-esteem.

Such is the power of negative thinking for an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 58June 4, 2019 1:58 AM

r56 im not going to keep repeating myself just because you want to use SAT words you looked up on wikipedia and twitter, trans and gender non conforming identities exist all over the world, get over it, youre a sad denialist asshole.

Literally in this thread people are referring to some transwomen as gay men forced into being trans, fuck off and learn to read what your fellow turds in the punch bowl are saying about trans women because thats partly what i was responding too. And the thing is, you are a bigot. Youre saying you have a problem transwomen who were hetero men, which is still discrimination as opposed to just having a problem with someone because theyre an asshole. You single out an entire group of human beings which is no different than what racists, women hating incels, and homophobes do

by Anonymousreply 59June 4, 2019 2:02 AM

R59 please shut the fuck up already you damn drama queen. Don't like the conversations cause they hurt your fee fees? Then piss off already.

by Anonymousreply 60June 4, 2019 2:38 AM

The only people in this thread who I see insulting everyone they disagree with are the pro-AGP denialists. They are VERY careful to distance every one of their attacks away from the autogynephiles and reword everyones comments to "trans" as a whole.

No - we're talking about people who would have been called "transvestites" not that long ago. We're also talking about the mentally ill people who demand you acknowledge their invented gender because they are "non-binary," ignoring that the most rigid interpretation of the "gender binary" usually comes from the people who insist they don't live on it.

Most of us are supportive of women and the struggles they continue to have as they *still* seek equality. It's frustrating to them and their supporters to see a bunch of straight men calling long-time feminists TERFs; to see them literally exercising their male privilege by speaking over women and demanding to be heard first; to watch them call themselves "lesbians" and demand entrance to the queer community when they are living the same life they lived before they decided to "transition."

If we stopped sweating over what pronouns people were called, stopped marginalizing people based on what makes their dicks hard, worked to eliminate "gender norms," and eliminated homophobia, there would be no reason for anyone to want to be trans. Gender dysphoria is typically rooted in self-hatred and societal demands. Release that hatred and the pressure from society, then if a dude wanted to wear dresses and kiss boys, no one would look twice.

But that's the hard work. If this writer wasn't such a self-indulgent douchebag, they would have written an article about the trans community and its relationship with the community at large. Instead, we got a whinefest about how hard his life was until he became a she, when things got even harder.

Guess what, Emily - life sucks. Then you die.

by Anonymousreply 61June 4, 2019 2:42 AM

r59 LOL at "SAT words." Now, as a good midwestern farm boy I didn't take the SAT (we take the ACT) but I think I see where you're going with this and I have a few more words for you: "contradictory," "cognitive dissonance," "delusion," "compartmentalization," and "sexual dimorphism."

by Anonymousreply 62June 4, 2019 3:02 AM

Lesbian - female homosexual. Female - female sex. Immutable. Dick free. Freely unattracted to the bepenised walking among us.

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2019 4:18 AM

People would be much more accepting of "Trans" people if , instead of insisting that they be recognized as male or female, they were wanting to be recognized as a third gender. That is even how it worked in the "two-spirit" native cultures, they bring up so much. The two-spirit people were not seen as male or female, but as a third gender, which tends to be the same way they are treated in other non-Western traditional societies. So, instead of insisting that they should use women's or men's restrooms and locker rooms, and compete in women's or men's sporting events, they should instead be asking for their own areas and sports, separate from both men and women.

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2019 4:29 AM

[quote]He doesn’t just get to opt in to being female because he feels sad about watching Handmaid’s Tale. If anything his fascination with a tv show about the subjugation and actual torture of women should raise a red flag, but whatever.

This. The women in that show are being subjugated for the very thing the transwomen don't have and will never have: their uteruses and childbearing ability. There's something deeply fucked up about a transwoman projecting into all that and feeling this identification with something that quite literally has nothing to do with them or the reality of their situation.

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2019 4:39 AM

It’s as if a white man watched ROOTS and decided he was a Black man , and society instead of saying, “How dare you appropriate Black culture, experience and race- based oppression ?” Instead, called Blacks “ bigots” for protesting, took away what few rights Blacks had, and then forced Blacks to call him and all other similarly delusional White men “Black” under pain of imprisonment or a $250,000 fine.

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2019 5:16 AM

r66 That analogy would work only if women were historically and currently oppressed the same way black people are/were, and despite their histrionics they never were or are.

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2019 5:30 AM

Yes, R67, this fellow and BruceLyn Jenner and Char Clymer and Jennifer Pritzker and Martine Rothblatt are all more oppressed than the women freezing in menstrual huts in Nepal, or Yazidi sex slaves, or the women in India burned alive over dowries, or the prostitutes in cages in Thailand, or the Iranian lawyer being tortured for not wearing a hijab or the 90 million missing girls because of female infanticide, or the schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram, or the infant girls being raped in Africa as a rumored AIDs cure, or the women of the US- on one hand losing their reproductive rights by the Republicans- on the other being erased by the Democrats, the sex-segregated spaces they fought for being overrun and colonized by men like this fine chap who thinks womanhood is his own personal movie role.

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2019 5:41 AM

r68 r/GenderCritical =============>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

bye bye fishy

by Anonymousreply 69June 4, 2019 5:43 AM

The most shocking thing about this story is that someone can make a living as a TV critic.

by Anonymousreply 70June 4, 2019 5:45 AM

R68 didn't say one lie. Race is an island - so is sex. It's a spit in the face to claim to 'transition' from one to the other.

by Anonymousreply 71June 4, 2019 8:48 AM

R69=Stefonknee

by Anonymousreply 72June 4, 2019 9:17 AM

Now it makes sense why he always defended Lena Dunham in his old Girls recaps. He really related to the struggle of being a fat whiny woman.

by Anonymousreply 73June 4, 2019 9:24 AM

But what about trans women of COLOR!!

by Anonymousreply 74June 4, 2019 9:32 AM

The height of hubris.

by Anonymousreply 75June 4, 2019 9:44 AM

[quote]It seems like the only way some white men can be made to care about women's rights is to delusionally think they are women and then, and only then, actually fight for women

Okay, I'm going to get yelled at about this, but I've been yelled at before.

I was a film writer for a decade and found that the only male TV or film writers who cared about women's rights were either trying to brand themselves as feminists for the attention and career boost (Devin Faraci) or because they were trans and hadn't come out yet.

Quite a few of them really weren't feminist at all, of course, but the same goes for women who brand themselves as feminist film critics. Everyone gets immersed in the normality of sexism (and racism, homophobia, all of it) here in the U.S. and some people just can't shake it off. For instance, Todd would say sexist stuff pretty frequently on Twitter while branding himself feminist. Is that any different than Marilyn Ferdinand and Nell Minow both posting right-wing trash on their Facebooks and attacking fellow female critics for being "too girly" and such, while being held up as good feminist critics? I don't think it is.

The problem isn't that Todd could "only understand if he imagined himself as a woman," the problem is that our culture is swimming in unexamined bigotry. I've seen Simon Abrams write homophobic shit for The Village Voice, Charles Stross tweet at length about how all black women are cunts, Neil Gaiman suggest that all gays were "made gay" because of sexual abuse, Farran Smith Nehme say that a transvestite character in an old movie needed to be killed because a transvestite is always a villain, Glenn Kenny say a movie with a mixed-race actress shouldn't be funded because she was mixed race, etc.

I could go on with dozens of examples, but the overall issue is that there are just a whole bunch of writers and critics who can't remove themselves from the biases of the culture, and don't even realize that they are affected by it, and that it's so common that most people don't even see it unless it affects them directly. When Todd was a man, sexism didn't affect him, so he didn't recognize it. Now that she's Emily, she's going to flip the fuck out when she sees all the anti-LGBT bias and sexism out there.

My guess is, like the handful of other transitioned critics I've known, Emily won't fight for women at all.

by Anonymousreply 76June 4, 2019 9:45 AM

[quote]Somehow now straight married men like him get to be front and center in the gay rights movement.

As of right now, Emily is only an example and a story. She isn't front and center. Like I said above, I doubt that she will be, not unless she wants to completely rebrand as someone who writes only about trans issues, and I doubt she will. Even then, despite all the screaming from the anti-trans folks who come to DL, there is a distinct divide between gay and lesbian writing, feminist and women-centered writing, and trans writing, so Emily might end up being front and center in the trans rights movement, but not in the gay rights movement.

The people who aren't actually in the community seem to always conflate gay and trans rights. They're all under the same umbrella, sure, but no one would say that, for example, something Charlotte Clymer wrote about trans in the military is a "gay rights" article, and say she's at the front and center of gay rights. They'd say she was at the front and center of trans rights.

by Anonymousreply 77June 4, 2019 9:52 AM

Boring straight while male comes out with failed attempt to make himself interesting.

Will be so glad when we can go back to making fun of these autogynephile losers instead of “making room” for them in the community. Lesbians don’t have, or like, dicks. There’s some literal violence for ya.

by Anonymousreply 78June 4, 2019 9:53 AM

'Emily' and his wife....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 4, 2019 9:53 AM

R77 Putting aside the other rubbish you wrote for a moment, citing “Charlotte” Clymer? You’re either a troll or irredeemably stupid.

by Anonymousreply 80June 4, 2019 9:55 AM

Woah, Emily’s Twitter pic is a cutesy cartoon version of herself rather than an actual photo of what a middle-aged trans “lesbian” looks like??? This is unprecedented, I just didn’t see that coming at all. Very stunning and brave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 4, 2019 9:58 AM

[quote]bye bye fishy

Ugh, you utter jackass, you've been all over the board using racist slurs, complaining that men are being exterminated by SJWs, saying that even mentioning someone is white is "racist" while blacks don't experience racism at all... it's just never ending with you.

These threads always attract crazies.

by Anonymousreply 82June 4, 2019 10:00 AM

[quote]citing “Charlotte” Clymer

I didn't cite anything Clymer said. I don't read Clymer's articles because they are a complete yutz. What I SAID, you drooling moron, is that no one reads a Clymer article about trans issues and thinks it's an article about gay rights. They think it's an article about trans rights.

You guys conflate that all the time because you think it bolsters your case. "Look at what this yutz said, it's being blamed on YOU GAYS, aren't you gays ANGRY that you're being credited with what they said?!?!?!"

by Anonymousreply 83June 4, 2019 10:05 AM

R83, absolutely people both in and outside the community do conflate trans rights and LGB rights and they will do that with a Clymer article the same as many others. This happens all the time and is one of the reasons a lot of the LGB community don’t want to stand with the T. I don’t want kids being told they’re the wrong gender because they do or don’t like sports, or middle-aged men screaming transphobia because lesbians won’t suck their dicks, as being seen part of “my” community. And that’s EXACTLY what is happening now both inside and outside the damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 84June 4, 2019 10:12 AM

PS R83 the fact that you respect the disgusting Clymer’s pronouns does say something about you though.

by Anonymousreply 85June 4, 2019 10:13 AM

I wonder how long before he changes his mind. It seems that transitioning from female to male has a higher success rate, but men transitioning to women has a high rate of regret, sometimes to the point of suicide. It seems that the desire to be a woman involves a lot of thinking about being able to be girly and wear heels, but in reality it means that straight white men who have never known anything but privilege can’t cope with being second class citizens like women, gays and trans people are. Wanting to join a less privileged sex and then experiencing all the discrimination thrown at trans people on top of that can be quite depressing. It turns out it’s not all pretty bows and giggling with your girlfriends. This realisation seems overwhelming for some and the regret kicks in.

by Anonymousreply 86June 4, 2019 10:16 AM

R86, quite. The idea of “being a woman” for a lot of these guys seems to simply be “performing femininity.” Never mind the fact that just as an identifiable social & gendered aspect of being a woman is, for example, being expected to take on more caring responsibilities than a man typically would. Did this guy suddenly realise he wanted to take more care of his kids and older family members, or did he want to wear lipstick and high heels? Gonna take a wild guess which one it was.

I think the success rates are better for those who can persuade their poor wives to go along with the charade that they’re now a “lesbian” couple.

by Anonymousreply 87June 4, 2019 10:23 AM

I agree r87. A lot of these stories begin and end with “I was cross dressing in secret for years, I secretly envied my wife’s breasts and so in recent years finally admitted I wanted to be a woman”

If only it was that easy.

If they really wanted to be a woman they’d say “I realised that I wanted to walk down the street with a greater risk of being raped, I wanted to be overlooked for a promotion that invariably always went to a straight guy who belonged to the office boys club and I desperately craved a drunk fat man twice my height to scream slut in my face after I reject his advances”

Because once they transition all of these things will happen. Kiss that boys club goodbye, you’re dead to them and you can never undo it. And this part is always an after thought. Even Jenner can’t seem to believe that her old republican country club buddies who kissed her arse as an athletic straight man want nothing to do with her now.

by Anonymousreply 88June 4, 2019 10:56 AM

[Quote] Even Jenner can’t seem to believe that her old republican country club buddies who kissed her arse as an athletic straight man want nothing to do with her now.

Can't say I blame them.

by Anonymousreply 89June 4, 2019 11:57 AM

R50 Why do we owe them anything?

by Anonymousreply 90June 4, 2019 1:52 PM

Bruce Jenner belongs in jail. He killed a woman and now he expects us to call him one. But since he’s still a rich white non-Jewish male he gets away with it. If he was from the Barrio, spoke mostly Spanish, and was named Carlos at birth, he would be.

by Anonymousreply 91June 4, 2019 2:44 PM

R77 / R83 if you ever left the rarified air of the DL, you’d find that every other space, online and IRL, conflates trans rights w gay rights, because lgbTQ+++

That conflation between trans rights and gay rights is exactly what trans activists wanted when they stormed the gay rights movement. And it’s what’a going to take gay rights down.

None of the heterosexual makes who decide to LARP as women get the chop, so they never get clocked as women and so never experience anything close to “womanhood “ whatever that is.

by Anonymousreply 92June 4, 2019 2:51 PM

This is why it’s homophobic NOT to be heterophobic and that any gay person who respects himself or herself should hate and fear heterosexuality. Fear of genocide is a reasonable fear for someone who is gay to have.

by Anonymousreply 93June 4, 2019 2:57 PM

It seems that the wife is supporting Todd's transition. Are the wives always like this? I don't think I could do that.

by Anonymousreply 94June 4, 2019 3:12 PM

A married AGP who comes out as 'trans' is telling his wife he wants to live his fetish 24/7, and a lot of wives aren't on board with that.

by Anonymousreply 95June 4, 2019 3:25 PM

The wife is just as big a handmaid as any of the ones Margaret Atwood actually created.

by Anonymousreply 96June 4, 2019 4:08 PM

I mentioned this before; back in college, I had multiple women friends tell me that they dated/slept with guys that had a fetish for dressing like women.

I realized that all the guys in question, are doughy white guys like this Todd fellow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97June 4, 2019 4:23 PM

Here's an article by another special snowflake, "inspired" by "Emily's" coming out story.

[quote]...a conversation that helped my coming out as nonbinary.

Oh, FFS.

Then Emily shares her coming out process...

[quote]I came out to myself in March 2018.

Herself. In March 2018. But she's now a professional lesbian who is the expert on all things queer, trans, and LGBTQIA+.

And, of COURSE,

[quote]I mark the beginning as when I started working on this pilot that my wife and I are in the process of selling, which was about a teenage (sic) girl. It was so easy for me to write her in a way that it never was to write men.

Yes. This middle-aged man identified completely with a teenaged girl.

Wondering why the wife is sticking around?

[quote]My writing partner and wife, Libby...

She's not only got a family with this guy, she's professionally entwined also.

[quote]I want to hear the story of my marriage, where I came out as a woman and my wife took 36 hours to get to the place where she was okay with it.

"I want to hear my story." Fixed that for Emily. Poor thing - her wife took 36 whole hours to become "okay with it." The wait must have been interminable.

[quote]Not allowing her story to be a part of the story is just as dehumanizing as the idea that I could be played by Jared Leto.

Obviously, Emily's story must only be told by a stunning and brave trans-Lesbian. Preferably one who looks like Emily *wants* to look, instead of what she actually looks like. And, of course, this means she's probably planning on selling her amazing story. I'm sure she thinks her very special story is also Oscar worthy...

My takeaway? Vox is toxic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 4, 2019 4:43 PM

It seems that Emily crowdsourced her name via Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 99June 4, 2019 4:56 PM

To the TERFs that flock here, why is DL's trans skepticsm not enough for you? Most people here have problems with the trans agenda, but you come here and add all the feminist garbage to it and shout down everyone. The irony that you complain about people invading spaces not meant for them and so forth given the way you RadFems behave on this board.

I have issue with the trans agenda because it harms children, because it goes agains objective reality and common sense, and does enormous damage to the left. I'm not against the trans because of 'lesbain erasure', 'woman face', 'misogany' or any other such histrionic bullshit. Why is that not enough for you? Why must you control everything with this frightening authoritarian streak RadFems seem to have almost as bad as the sjws.

If the trans nutters are to be defeated it needs to come from a coalition of normal people of all different parts of society, not the religious right and the crazy intransigent 2nd wave Radical Feminists. The TERFs trying to control this and being so hostile to anyone that only partially agrees with them will only help the trans activists. And as has been said umpteen times here, imagine if we went to r/GenderCritical or other TERF places and behave the way you behave here?

The TE part of TERF is cool, the RF needs to fuck off.

r82 Have you taken your meds today sweaty?

by Anonymousreply 100June 4, 2019 5:39 PM

Emily is also the name of the character on the show who had her clit forcibly removed.

by Anonymousreply 101June 4, 2019 5:53 PM

Holy shit. "Emily" got trolled via crowdsourcing.

I guess she's lucky her name isn't Boaty McBoatface.

by Anonymousreply 102June 4, 2019 5:56 PM

He 'transitioned' to Emily because he felt targeted as a straight white man. Not because he identified with women but because he wanted to feel included in the oppression olympics.

by Anonymousreply 103June 4, 2019 7:28 PM

They do it for attention. As straight white men, they feel invisible, like they are the enemy. They see it as a second kind of adolescence instead of a mid life crisis, with the idea that they can be reborn and become more desirable people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 4, 2019 7:43 PM

uh r100, the irony of your statement is a Democrat is now Governor of North Carolina thanks to people standing up for trans people. Even now, the guy who wrote the anti-trans law is behind in the polls to become a congressman in North Carolina

by Anonymousreply 105June 4, 2019 7:44 PM

[quote] As straight white men, they feel like they are the enemy.

I wonder where they possibly got that idea from...

by Anonymousreply 106June 4, 2019 7:48 PM

Dear god, R104.

In case anyone is wondering, it is completely normal for a middle-aged woman, with a striking resemblance to Ernest Borgnine in a tie-dyed dress, to wear rainbow Mickey Mouse ears when she shows up to the offices where she's enrolled in a doctoral program.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 4, 2019 7:58 PM

R98 Emily/Todd is exhausting. Fancy his wife taking 36 entire hours to accept that her entire life and marriage is not what she thought it was. Turns out she was straight on Monday but by Wednesday a lesbian. Who knew?! Not her. What a delightful surprise. Sure it took him his entire life to realise he was trans, but she had to snap into it in under 2 days.

That paragraph is written like typical straight man who is used to getting everything his way, either by persuasion or by force, but he thinks he can relate to being a gay woman whose experiences are often completely opposite to straight men. The irony of this is no doubt lost on Todd/Emily.

by Anonymousreply 108June 4, 2019 8:08 PM

[quote]typical straight man who is used to getting everything his way

another post from the twilight zone.........

by Anonymousreply 109June 4, 2019 8:11 PM

Then man in R104's video chose the name Bethany Grace for himself. Bethany Grace? Why do they always seem to choose American Girl doll names for themselves?

by Anonymousreply 110June 4, 2019 8:13 PM

^^^straight man

by Anonymousreply 111June 4, 2019 8:14 PM

[quote]I’ve gone from being one more white, middle-class guy to being a transgender woman in a dress that everybody recognizes on sight.

And this quote encapsulates the entire AGP-trans movement right here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 4, 2019 8:20 PM

r111 fishy I see you sloped out of the Jason Mitchell thread without enlightning us about what he supposedly did, I assume you've seen the update to that thread or is it going down the feminist memory hole too?

[quote]We all know he did something serious, why is everyone pretending it’s possible he just looked at her funny and lost his job.

#BelieveWomen #MeToo

by Anonymousreply 113June 4, 2019 8:21 PM

Im a gay guy r113. And yes I do believe women. Shocking on DL but there you go. No, I don’t think straight white men get a hard time. I think they have it easy. I’m not sure why you’re here defending them, they do just fine without your help. Or is it because you are one?

by Anonymousreply 114June 4, 2019 8:32 PM

Why are the AGP almost always straight white guys and the crossdressers that companies them? I could tell a AGP by just looking at them, age, mostly white, demeanor, pattern of speech and body movement. Just use your 'gaydar' as well and i promise it will not fail you to spot the differences 99% of the time?

by Anonymousreply 115June 4, 2019 10:20 PM

r107

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116June 4, 2019 10:21 PM

R107 That’s attention seeking 101. That’s not how grown women dress, that’s how my neighbours overbearing 5 year daughter dresses when unsupervised.

by Anonymousreply 117June 5, 2019 12:03 AM

But they didn't haven't a girlhood, R117!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 118June 5, 2019 12:09 AM

Huh. I thought the rainbow-colored, animated font helped stress the understated humility present in the original photo.

Okay. Yeah. He's a raging attention whore. But I am proud of my meme!

by Anonymousreply 119June 5, 2019 12:09 AM

R107 My sister is an academic and she told me that even at "liberal" colleges, there's a lot of classism in the industry, so even professors that dress casually try to project an upper class image in order to move up in the profession. Though, I guess when you're transgender, you don't have to worry about that.

by Anonymousreply 120June 5, 2019 2:00 PM

She looked fine at the TCA awards. That's a coming out print if I ever saw one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 4, 2019 10:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!