Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mitt Romney Thinks Donald Trump Will Win Reelection

"There are enormous advantages to being the incumbent, number one,” Romney told HuffPost on Thursday. “Number two, I think [Trump] will tack more towards the middle in his communication than he has so far.”

“And number three, I think the voters that are most animated in opposition to the president tend not to come out to vote ― and that’s young people and the minorities. They’re active in polls, but not necessarily active at actually getting out to the polls,” the senator said.

Good analysis and unfortunately correct.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 26, 2020 8:07 PM

Yes, we heard.

A search of the word.... Romney (of all things) listed the existing thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2020 12:19 AM

He's right, but he's wrong. Trump won't win by "moderating" himself. He'll win by using voter suppression, a tried and true GOP tactic. This pandemic will make that even easier than usual.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2020 12:24 AM

He'll also get a lot more Russian help. They need to protect their investment.

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2020 12:27 AM

FAKE NEWS!

But I encourage this kind of arrogance and complacency in Mitt Romney and all "conservatives."

Truth is, Trump lost half his senior vote, they're the MOST politically active and Trump is going STRAIGHT DOWN THE SHITTER on Nov. 3.

BYE, BORIS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2020 12:27 AM

Do you guys remember how shocked Romney was during his concession speech the night he lost?

Even though the polls had him down all year, he and his sycophants bullshitted him into believing he could win.

He seemed totally surprised and devastated when he had to admit defeated. LIFE IN THE 'CONSERVATIVE' BUBBLE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2020 12:35 AM

The night Romney lost is such a good memory for me. I remember being at home drinking red wine when I decided to flip over to Fox to see what they were saying. I managed to catch the infamous Megyn Kelly walk down the hallway when it appeared that Romney had lost Ohio. Talk about shell shocked. The look on Karl Rove’s face was just delicious.

I walked down to the White House and the mood was ebullient. I ran into a guy I used to date and we ended up grabbing a drink at Old Ebbitt’s and then we went back to his place to fuck all night.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2020 12:58 AM

Romney isn’t living in 2020 politics. Throw out everything you thought and knew before. This is unprecedented. Yes, cheating will happen. Russia is cheating. I was a bit worried about the AL primary when polls had it close but Sessions was blown out. Mail in ballots!

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2020 1:02 AM

[quote]“Number two, I think [Trump] will tack more towards the middle in his communication than he has so far.”

Now THAT's funny!

Trump has been president for 3½ years.

If he hasn't tacked toward the middle by now, it ain't ever gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2020 1:05 AM

Mitt- ok now just shush. Seriously. You’ve built up some good will now you go open your mouth and show us how dim you are. So glad he was never president.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2020 1:10 AM

[quote]Do you guys remember how shocked Romney was during his concession speech the night he lost?

Even better, remember how Shitty Little Ann came out looking ever-so-slightly disheveled, like she'd gobbled some nerve medications to even her out from a screeching hissy fit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2020 1:11 AM

I want Trump out of office as much as anyone else. But Romney is right about the young voters. They know how to use social media and attend rallys and protest, but they won't get their a** to the polls and vote. This is what Bernie discovered.

Second, look how Trump has already moved more moderate with regards to school openings, mask and I bet he will sign the defense bill that includes removal of the name of military bases with Confederate names.

Also, having been involved with ballot initiatives in California where there is well known phenomena on polls. If an initiative is controversial or has social implications, polls are often wrong. There is a silent majority that will not state their true feelings when contacted by a pollster. We learned this on gay marriage, affirmative action and Pete Wilson's Prop 187. When called, many will indicate a plan to support the progressive approach, however, when behind the curtain in the voting booth, they vote the opposite. There are MANY out there that support Trump's programs but indicate to pollsters of their plan to vote for Biden. Watch out for this phenomena to occur in the general election.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2020 1:14 AM

Yeah, he's not wrong. I would like him to be, but, as someone who has worked GOTV phonebanks on election day, getting democratic asses to the polls is not easy.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2020 1:18 AM

African American voters are often very motivated and involved.

Let's pretend Mitch is daring us to get out the vote.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2020 1:19 AM

R11 No, not this time. He has a terrible record and we’re exhausted with him.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2020 1:19 AM

Yes, we look like the opening to Dawn Of The Dead (2004) I’m not worried. I see high motivation to get him out.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2020 1:24 AM

[quote]”And number three, I think the voters that are most animated in opposition to the president tend not to come out to vote ― and that’s young people and the minorities. They’re active in polls, but not necessarily active at actually getting out to the polls,” the senator said.

Romney is forgetting that senior citizens and suburban white voters now hate Trump too, and they DO vote.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2020 1:24 AM

I’m also in TX and that whiny bitch prez is going down. It’ll be close but Abbott fucked up the reopening and the anger and blame goes all the way to 1600.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2020 1:26 AM

*Mitt. Is "animated in opposition" code for internet puffery? Seriously though. In my experience older Blacks value voting. The blocked the Sanders train more than once. Young people is more the problem.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2020 1:27 AM

1. The "enormous advantage" that an incumbent has is getting attention. Currently, that is working *against* Trump, not for him.

2. Trump isn't going to tack to the middle. If anything, he's doubling down on the entitlement, on the racism, on the whining. He is simply not capable of going toward the middle, nor is there anything he has said or done in the past 4 years that would indicate that he can, or would even try.

3. The voters who are most animated in opposition have been actually voting in 2017, 2018, 2019, and earlier this year in 2020, which is why Democrats currently hold the House. Not only that, but Trump is losing the older vote (and they do turn out) and the suburban vote (and they also turn out).

In short, Romney is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2020 1:34 AM

R19

That.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2020 1:40 AM

Mitt Romney is right. Reality. Concentrate on the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2020 1:41 AM

That would be rather stupid, R21, since Biden right now, anyway, is on a pretty solid path to victory.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2020 1:42 AM

R21 oh no now I’m going to run screaming and crying because you said it will be so.

Fuck off. Biden is kicking ass.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2020 1:45 AM

[quote]Biden right now, anyway, is on a pretty solid path to victory.

From you lips to the voters' ears. My Grandma used to say don't rush your life away, but I just wish we were on the other side of Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2020 1:46 AM

Also, Tammy Duckworths make the touching of young childrens

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2020 1:48 AM

Covid changed everything. Republicans/Trump essentially came out and said that Grandma and Grandpa were expendable because the economy needs to restart.

That is why Trump is so behind in Florida. Old white folks heard that shit and are now in revolt.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2020 1:49 AM

Miss Mittens needs to crawl back into her hole and shut up.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2020 1:49 AM

Sadly, I have to agree with him.

by Anonymousreply 28July 24, 2020 1:53 AM

[quote] Good analysis and unfortunately correct.

Um, it’s a completely shitty analysis. What indication is there that he’s going to start “moderating”? This is what people said when he first got elected. “Oh, the gravitas of the office will overcome him and he’ll start acting presidential.” He’s a sociopath. He has no concept of any of that.

He’s going to start “moderating.” When? After he and Bill Barr finish their military takeover of Portland and Chicago? After 200,000 more people are dead from Covid-19?

by Anonymousreply 29July 24, 2020 1:55 AM

R28 is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2020 1:56 AM

July 5th: average daily deaths in the U.S. from the coronavirus: 516

July 23: that same average is 887, a 72% increase, and still climbing.

June 10: average daily cases in the U.S. from the coronavirus: 21,323

July 23: that same average is 67, 852, a 218% increase

Mid-June: 30,000 people in the hospital with the coronavirus

July 23: 60,000 people in the hospital with the coronavirus, a 100% increase

This is not a great recipe for a reelection.

by Anonymousreply 31July 24, 2020 1:57 AM

Gassing the line of Moms in Portland has really clenched the suburban women vote.

by Anonymousreply 32July 24, 2020 1:58 AM

Notice how none of the concern trolls have any answer for the points raised against Mitt? And cannot defend the rather silly points that Mitt made, particularly that whole "towards the middle" thing?

Why is it that so many of these trolls are stuck in 2016 and ignore the lessons of 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020?

by Anonymousreply 33July 24, 2020 1:59 AM

[quote]Second, look how Trump has already moved more moderate with regards to school openings, mask and I bet he will sign the defense bill that includes removal of the name of military bases with Confederate names.

1.) It took him over four months to finally wear a mask, and he went and abandoned that the very next day.

2.) He has no plan for schools to open during covid. Nothing. Nada.

3.) He is not going to sign anything that removes Confederate names. That will alienate his base, and it certainly will not bring any democrats or independents to him. They will see through it as a bullshit campaign tactic to get reelected.

This isn't your usual election cycle, so I don't think any of the standards come into play this time.

by Anonymousreply 34July 24, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote]I want Trump out of office as much as anyone else. But Romney is right about the young voters.

Anti-Trump voters turned out in 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020. Deal with it.

[quote]Second, look how Trump has already moved more moderate with regards to school openings

No, he hasn't. There has been no moderation there at all.

[quote]I bet he will sign the defense bill that includes removal of the name of military bases with Confederate names.

He doesn't have a choice. It passed both Houses with veto-proof majorities.

[quote]There is a silent majority that will not state their true feelings when contacted by a pollster.

This has been examined time and time again. There is no Trump "silent majority." Had there been such a thing, the Democrats would not currently control the House.

by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2020 2:04 AM

Oh, he’s “tacking to the middle” because somebody in the WH finally got him to wear a mask once. That changes everything. He’s a shoo-in for re-election now. Watch for the polls to shift 15 points in the other direction starting next week because he wore a fucking mask and marginally backed off from his crazy statement about cutting off funding if states didn’t open schools.

You’re either a troll or you’re so dumb you can’t even chew your own food.

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2020 2:05 AM

What's hilarious, R36, is that when he was photographed wearing a mask, dozens of Twitter accounts said exactly that: "Today, Trump won the election!" It was a hilariously inept campaign and we've already seen that it didn't budge his numbers one iota.

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2020 2:06 AM

Take away the poor repubs $600 & see where that gets him. Or drop it to $400 - oh no!

by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2020 2:06 AM

People in TX are pissed. The school thing combined with the virus response has people seething. They all know we would be back in school and our Economy would be open if the Republicans had been competent with opening our economy back up and handling this virus. The anger I’ve seen directed at governor Abbott and our idiot prez has been pretty eye-opening get ready.

by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2020 2:07 AM

Let's not be too hard on the pearl clutchers. A lot of us are suffering from PTSD due to 2016.

We want to believe Joe has a good, solid, unshakeable lead but it seems too good to be true and we ALL know the polls will tighten the closer we get to November 3rd.

And that orange traitor will pull out ALL of the stops to remain in power.

by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2020 2:10 AM

Instead of getting angry and dismissing what Romney is saying, take it to heart and work to prove him wrong. He is not saying anything that we don't already know about our base.

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2020 2:11 AM

The old bastard is not wrong, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2020 2:12 AM

Trump still won't make you an ambassador or Secretary of State, Mittens. I hope Rafalca kicks him in the head.

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2020 2:13 AM

The thing that amazes me is Dump kicks them in the nuts, yet they still have no problem supporting him.

by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2020 2:22 AM

[quote]has really clenched the suburban women vote

Clinched, not clenched, please

by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2020 2:28 AM

Trump is already playacting as a moderate by cancelling the convention in FL because "we need to think about people's health" (yes, we know that's not the real reason, but it's all about appearances) and doing his 180 on masks.

I pray that the people who now regret voting for him don't use this new stance as an excuse to run back into the fold. But there's no point in overestimating their intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2020 3:14 AM

[quote]Sadly, I have to agree with him.

[quote]The old bastard is not wrong, sadly.

The word "sadly" is the hallmark of every concern troll/Russian operative I have ever seen. (OP is a bit of an innovator with "unfortunately.")

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2020 3:27 AM

R46 We still have plenty if they do. Every election - 2017, 18, 19 and this year has seen 20 to 30 point swings to Dems. Even in deep red states where he’s begged people to support his candidate and most lost.

by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2020 3:32 AM

I agree. He will win because I don't see the Democratic Party doing anything new and aggressive countering the obvious and tried and true tack the GOP is taking.

by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2020 3:38 AM

Mitt "47 Percent" Romney has a proven track record of being insightful... YEAH, RIGHT!!

by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2020 3:45 AM

R49 you deserve a Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2020 3:47 AM

More like "Sure, Yelena"

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2020 3:48 AM

[quote]and that’s young people and the minorities.

"The minorities". Oy. At the end of (any) day, Mitt Romney is the ultimate dipshit. When he lost to Obama he opined, "Wow, he (Obama) really got them out of their apartments!" You see "apartments" is used as his white person's way of saying that renters are black!

He's such a fucking Derwood!

by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2020 3:48 AM

I think Romney might be wrong. Trump hasn’t done anything to make America better, in fact, I would say it’s quite the opposite. He may get the vote of some, but not your average voter in let’s say Pennsylvania or Florida. I mean he told people to inject bleach to cure coronavirus? Do you think people are going to remember that? No last minute vaccine or improvement in job numbers is going to change how people are going to vote.

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2020 5:16 AM

Because Mitt Romney is practically a soothsayer when it comes to predicting political outcomes? Since when?

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2020 12:43 PM

Just don't see it. Trump has a base, but you don't win with a base, you need Base + More. He's not getting any minority group (except maybe Cubans), he's down significantly with women, down significantly with suburbanites, and a lot of his former older voters are now dead. Biden doesn't scare people.

by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2020 1:36 PM

What is the death count at “The Villages” now? I hope all those racist fucks in their golf carts screaming “White Power!” die humiliating deaths alone and in pain.

by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2020 1:39 PM

It's interesting watching our usual concern trolls up to their same old tricks because the disconnect between their concern trolling and reality has never been so wide. A year ago, even six months ago, you could do some hand-wringing, even though most signs favored Biden.

Now, though? There is not one hopeful sign for Trump in recent news, not in the stories that are trending, not in the polling information, not in his own behavior, not in how his campaign is reacting, not in the results of the various off-cycle elections. There is literally nothing to base the hand-wringing on these days. This does not mean that Biden is a lock to win; it does mean that, right now, all signs are pointing in that direction.

So what are our concern trolls saying?

[quote]Good analysis and unfortunately correct.

[quote]Mitt Romney is right. Reality. Concentrate on the Senate.

[quote]I want Trump out of office as much as anyone else. But Romney is right about the young voters.

[quote]Yeah, he's not wrong.

[quote]Sadly, I have to agree with him.

[quote]The old bastard is not wrong, sadly.

[quote]I agree. He will win because I don't see the Democratic Party doing anything new and aggressive countering the obvious and tried and true tack the GOP is taking.

Not one of these idiots has an answer for the multiple points raised in this thread. Not one of them has a single actual bit of data to point to. Not one of them can muster a coherent response other than the drivel quoted above.

Lord, we have some of the dumbest trolls on the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2020 3:26 PM

As for the Senate, things are looking pretty good there, as well, with Democrats favored to retake the Senate and most Democrats outraising their Republican competition in the close races. This is a horrible time for Republicans and there are no signs that it's going to get better.

Congressional Republicans shot down the Trump administration's plan for a payroll tax cut, shot down his rhetoric about forcing schools to open, ignored his threats about refusing to sign a defense bill that renamed military bases, pushed him to wear a mask, have defended Dr. Fauci as the Trump administration tried to slime him, etc.

These are fairly small steps, and Congressional Republicans are almost universally still publicly supporting Trump, but the wheels are coming off, slowly but surely, and some of them appear to have finally had enough, as Trump's ineptitude is damaging their own election chances. I don't see any sign of that stopping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2020 3:31 PM

Mittens has been all over the place regarding Trump. He needs to change his magic underwear.

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2020 3:32 PM

Romney is an old rich white guy who lives in the DC bubble.

The economy may be helping him, but it's been in free fall for months for average Americans. He just doesn't get it.

He did sincerely believed he would win the white house because people showed up at his dumb rallies.

by Anonymousreply 61July 24, 2020 3:42 PM

R58, I think the person you’re quoting is a troll, period. He’s not truly “concerned”, he’s just trying to stir things up in a positive direction for Dump by bringing down our enthusiasm, and maybe making us less inclined to vote.

by Anonymousreply 62July 24, 2020 3:44 PM

Romney thought he was going to beat Obama, so he's not my go-to for election predictions. I would even trust Rafalca more.

by Anonymousreply 63July 24, 2020 3:46 PM

In other stunning news - the sky is blue.

Of course Romney [bold]WOULD[/bold] say he thinks Trump will win in November. He doesn't want the GOP to lose power as there is much political fuckery and looting to be done yet.

by Anonymousreply 64July 24, 2020 4:07 PM

r11 = The 109,340,935th "Life-long Democrat who just thinks the Spanish Inquisition got it right" on Datalounge.

All the Millennials in America could stay home on Nov. 3 and it still wouldn't make up for the half of seniors that Trump has lost.

Trump has NOT become moderate on school openings and "betting" on defense base name cosmetics isn't going to make the public forget his immigration policies, Trump's Stop and Frisk, Trump's life-long, witnessed uses of the N word, his Organization's refusal to rent to blacks, his staging a rally at Tulsa lynching sites on an Emancipation holiday or calling neo-Nazis who murder peaceful demonstrators in Charlottesville "good people."

Everybody has heard Trump's lies before. Everybody knows Trump says what people want to hear and then does the exact opposite.

THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF CAN'T CRY VICTORY ANYMORE.

"Trump's programs" don't work so nobody has reason to support the frauds anymore. Trump's deplorable base sees that he couldn't build a border wall, that his trade wars put Americans out-of-work and now ignoring the pandemic is just making the recession WORSE.

There's no "program," Trump is just a crook looking for revenue streams, fame and power by any means necessary.

And nothing r11 said is going to erase the public's memory of Trump's impeachment and continuous crimes. From Barr's Ghislaine Maxwell meddling to Cohen coercion, Trump commits enough crimes to keep them in the headlines every day!

Florida isn't even a swing state anymore and that's all Biden needs! Biden is trouncing Trump far outside the polls' margin of error, which Hillary could never do.

But r11 knows better than science, AGAIN, because Republicans want to believe. Nice try, Boris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 24, 2020 4:14 PM

r12 = r11

by Anonymousreply 66July 24, 2020 4:15 PM

r65 is so right! People can see through Trump's bullshit and the Deplorables are dying from COVID-19 and drinking bleach!

I was thinking the exact, same things as r65 when I first typed them from a different account. r65 is so spot-accurate and everyone feels the same way!!!!

by Anonymousreply 67July 24, 2020 4:19 PM

I sometimes feel like Kathy Bates in Misery: "DOES EVERYONE HAVE AMNESIA????" It's like people have completely forgotten the Blue Wave of 2018. 2020 will be like that on steroids. Mitt Romney is using an analysis of yesteryear--most of the country hates Trump and wants him gone. Even the youngs and the voters of color will come out to get rid of him.

That all said, the cheating will be off the hook this year. Trumpco will be pulling out all the stops because he knows the second he loses, jail or endless legal battles will be all that remains for him.

by Anonymousreply 68July 24, 2020 4:21 PM

Most Americans blame COVID on China, not Trump.

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2020 4:26 PM

[quote] I want Trump out of office as much as anyone else. But Romney is right about the young voters. They know how to use social media and attend rallys and protest, but they won't get their a** to the polls and vote. This is what Bernie discovered.

The Bernie Bots were Russian trolls who can't legally vote.

by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2020 4:26 PM

I really would love to see Trump packing and becoming a distant memory, however, many of us remember 2004.

by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2020 4:27 PM

Aren’t most Americans going to be voting from home this year?

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2020 4:27 PM

Also a lot of the Bernie vote were from people who were anti-Hillary, for whatever reason (misogyny or just didn't like her, too many "scandals", etc).

by Anonymousreply 73July 24, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote] Most Americans blame COVID on China, not Trump.

Sure, Boris.

[quote] According to the latest ABC News/Ipsos poll, just one in three Americans approve of the way President Donald Trump is handling the response to COVID-19. This not only represents the lowest approval rating since the question was asked in March, but also an 8-point drop from mid-June. Moreover, a majority of Americans feel the U.S. is reopening the economy too quickly, though there are significant partisan differences.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 24, 2020 4:29 PM

r40 is a Life-long Liberal who's voted for the Democrat in every election for the past 6 cycles. He just thinks voters' skin tones should match the voter registration paper.

by Anonymousreply 75July 24, 2020 4:31 PM

Your base is a bunch of inbred redneck liars, r41.

And Mitt Romney doesn't criticize ANY of them because the Republicans are a fascist, pro-crime for Republicans party now.

by Anonymousreply 76July 24, 2020 4:33 PM

r41 = r42

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 24, 2020 4:33 PM

THIS from the binders of women candidate.

Let me just tell you - it is an insult to women, especially black women in America that they would just sit this one out.

He is as out of touch as always. Obama did beat him in 2012. Guess what - Obama is using all of his power, knowledge, and influence to get a win for the Democrats. He may not be out front doing so, but it is happening.

Did Romney just forget how many new voters turned out in 2018? How about the primaries this year? Does he truly believe that that sort of turnout isn't going to translate to even more voters in a general election?

by Anonymousreply 78July 24, 2020 4:34 PM

Mitt Romney is such a wet noodle pretending to have a backbone when it matters.

by Anonymousreply 79July 24, 2020 4:35 PM

Joe Biden is calling for all the right solutions, r49.

Trump isn't even TRYING to solve the COVID problem!

by Anonymousreply 80July 24, 2020 4:36 PM

Sorry if that goes off topic, but I just don't get what the Republican Party thinks it will gain from getting kids sick or die from Covid-19 by forcing to re-open schools. It's bad optics in the media and the parents and teachers will be livid.

Guys like Mitt Romney seem to ignore that such a terrible and dangerous political stunt could be the final nail in the GOP coffin. Especially so close to the election.

by Anonymousreply 81July 24, 2020 4:39 PM

R78 Your premise is flawed in that even though there was a good turnout in 2018, the Republicans retained the Senate. Also, the Presidential Race is determined by the electoral college, not the popular vote.

by Anonymousreply 82July 24, 2020 4:43 PM

The House Republicans are the most scared shitless into doing what's right and popular, r59, because ALL of them are up for reelection in just 100 days.

They're proving by action that conservatism is wrong and bad for people and sometimes you need "big government."

by Anonymousreply 83July 24, 2020 4:45 PM

We know, r62. The Concern Troll is a DL regular and a poorly disguised right-winger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 24, 2020 4:48 PM

Too bad Trump doesn't have a Trumped-up war to protect him, r71.

Daddy Vladimir wouldn't let Trump provoke one. Iraq is partly why Putin is this invested in U.S. elections now. He's bribed Lindsey Graham's pussy CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 85July 24, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote] Your premise is flawed in that even though there was a good turnout in 2018, the Republicans retained the Senate.

Because of something called gerrymandering. It's a mystery why you are not aware of that, Boris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 24, 2020 4:57 PM

It's better for everyone if Democrats are afraid of Trump winning. Otherwise, all those Dems who never bother to vote (especially the younger voters) will just stay home on election day as per usual.

Fortunately, it looks like Biden will win the senior vote and those people VOTE no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 87July 24, 2020 4:59 PM

The senate is not democracy, r82. Inbred redneck states with tiny populations are given representation equal to massively populated states. Like the electoral college, it's a rigged system that was designed by America's founding fathers to protect the institution of slavery.

What's more, luck in 2018 just happened to make more Democrat senators facing contests than Republicans. The OPPOSITE is true this year.

And in 2018, lots of minorities were PURGED from the voter rolls (like Florida's) and those people have had time to re-register this year.

So quit making your false equivalencies and look what the electoral college is doing to Shitler now!

BIDEN: 406

TRUMP: 132

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 24, 2020 5:02 PM

r87 = spoken like a true terrorist / liar / troll.

It's better for everyone if people are told the truth.

by Anonymousreply 89July 24, 2020 5:05 PM

Trump is so despised that voting him out on election day will be considered a personal victory. And every single vote makes it that much more difficult for Putin to meddle with the voting results. Especially with mail-in votes where there are not enough Trump loyalists who can mess those up.

by Anonymousreply 90July 24, 2020 5:06 PM

I never thought I'd see the day that Florida wasn't a swing state, or Texas, Utah and Arizona close to picking the Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 91July 24, 2020 5:08 PM

If I just spam the "W&W" button on my own posts enough, Americans will have confidence in the Very Stable Genius!

by Anonymousreply 92July 24, 2020 5:14 PM

[quote]It's like people have completely forgotten the Blue Wave of 2018.

That's deliberate, when coming from the trolls. That's why they always, without exception, talk about 2016 and ignore the years since.

by Anonymousreply 93July 24, 2020 5:23 PM

[quote]Your premise is flawed in that even though there was a good turnout in 2018, the Republicans retained the Senate.

Senate Democrats were facing the worst map in over a century. McConnell was seriously gloating about having a 60-vote, filibuster-proof majority. That they only had two seats change hands was a huge victory for Democrats.

[quote]Also, the Presidential Race is determined by the electoral college, not the popular vote.

Biden is ahead there, as well, and it's not even close.

by Anonymousreply 94July 24, 2020 5:25 PM

Can someone explain to me why paid Russian trolls are coming to a little-known, niche gay discussion board to try and sow dissent and plant false information?

I mean, I guess we should be honored that they think we’re important enough for that?

It’s always so obvious who they are on here. And they can never answer any question or debate anything with facts.

by Anonymousreply 95July 24, 2020 5:49 PM

According to Muriel:

Russian? Who can say? Are there known sources of trolling from overseas pursuing a campaign to divide natural social and political allies? Absolutly. Not many but their techniques are like catnip to communities like this. Their messages are a/b tested until they get the best results. Sites like DL are where they do that testing.

Why would a few posters from non-english speaking countries have such an intense and detailed knowledge about primary candidates in the US, always hold contrarian and controversial views about them and be willing to take the time to pursue tit-for-tat flame wars? Because they have a vested interest in changing the narrative. They are paid to do it. DL is a small player in this but it is used as a "see look what they are saying on this website" link in other social media. It's all part of a campaign to give the impression of a groundswell of opinion against a policy or candidate in the larger social ecosystem. The "user generated content" side of the internet has functions as an amplifier of bad ideas.

by Anonymousreply 96July 24, 2020 5:58 PM

Is everyone trolling here Russian? Of course not, but calling someone Boris just a shorthand way of saying, "Your post is so fucking stupid that only a paid agent could have posted it." Writing 'Boris' is easier.

Personally, I just don't think it matters whether you're writing stupid shit because you're a Russian/Chinese/Iranian agent or you're writing stupid shit because you're paid by the Republican Party or you're writing stupid shit because you're a blind partisan or you're writing stupid shit because you're a sociopathic troll or you're writing stupid shit because you're genuinely stupid.

No matter what, it's stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 97July 24, 2020 6:00 PM

What Romney is conveniently ignoring is that many of the polls in states Trump must win (FL, AZ, PA, OH) now have Biden at or over 50%, which means that, even if the undecideds go 100% for Trump (which they never will), Biden still wins. Plus, in some states where he won last time (MO, GA, SC, TX), Trump is barely at 50%. That means the Republicans will need to spend resources to keep those states, instead of shoring up narrow margins in PA, WI, and MI.

Obama lost Missouri by an eyelash in 2008. Romney carried Missouri by 9 points in 2012, Trump carried Missouri by 18 points in 2016. When a Republican has to worry about carrying Missouri, he's in big trouble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 24, 2020 6:38 PM

[quote] The word "sadly" is the hallmark of every concern troll/Russian operative I have ever seen. (OP is a bit of an innovator with "unfortunately.")

Sadly and unfortunately, R47, and also regrettably, you are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 99July 24, 2020 6:45 PM

Either way, it's stupid shit, R99. Case in point, your post, "Mitt Romney is right. Reality."

by Anonymousreply 100July 24, 2020 6:55 PM

This is brilliant of Mitt. He despises Dump and this is his warning to the Dems to not buy into those 3 points.

by Anonymousreply 101July 24, 2020 8:36 PM

With just over 100 days until the general election, polls suggest that the president will have to mount a remarkable comeback to have a chance at winning a second term. That said, you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone from either side of the aisle arguing that another Trump victory is impossible.

A big reason for optimism in Trump’s camp is that he has overcome a large polling deficit before. Clinton held a double-digit lead in early 2016 and was up by as much as 7 points just a few weeks before Election Day. Polling experts point out that national polls often make a race look less competitive than it really is. The peculiarities of the Electoral College mean that Trump could get millions fewer votes and still cobble together enough states to win, as he did four years ago. National polls in 2016 were mostly correct in predicting Clinton would win the popular vote. Trump won by outperforming polling in a few critical swing states.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 24, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote]Congressional Republicans are almost universally still publicly supporting Trump, but the wheels are coming off, slowly but surely, and some of them appear to have finally had enough, as Trump's ineptitude is damaging their own election chances.

They’ll have to pry my cold, dead lips off of Donald Trump’s balls!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 24, 2020 11:23 PM

has really clenched the suburban women vote

Clinched, not clenched, please

You’re BOTH wrong: it’s CINCHED

by Anonymousreply 104July 24, 2020 11:43 PM

Mitt has his head up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 105July 24, 2020 11:45 PM

A paycheck is a paycheck, R95. They’re paid in unique posts.

And DL gives them the added benefit of anonymity, so they have no easily debunked ID like on Facebook.

Until Muriel red-tags them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 25, 2020 1:24 AM

They’re easy to spot.

by Anonymousreply 107July 25, 2020 1:53 AM

The “peculiarity of the Electoral College” is that Biden is now ahead by double digits in Florida and it’s no longer considered a swing state.

Hillary never achieved that!

by Anonymousreply 108July 25, 2020 2:34 AM

He's making the classic mistake of conflating all young people with the segment of young people who are virulently anti-Trump. In 2016, 24M people 18-29 voted in the election, and those were mostly anti-Trump voters.

Those in the 18-29 demographic who didn't vote weren't massively anti-Trump. There aren't millions of 18-29s who hate Trump and then just don't vote at all.

What that means for 2020 is that it's likely that there will be more of the 18-29 demographic willing to vote because they are anti-Trump, after seeing his performance for the last four years.

by Anonymousreply 109July 25, 2020 2:50 AM

They're not necessarily paid Russian trolls.

I don't know why everyone thinks that saying "trolls are posting here" equals "Russian trolls paid by Putin are posting here."

A lot of the trolls we have are mentally ill real people. Some are just jerks. The asshole who bumps 2015 threads has been here for two or three years at least and you can't tell me that bitch gets paid for it.

Some are the kind of Trumpsters who spam the entire internet with their spew, and may have heard about us on Gab, Kiwifarms, 4chan, Breitbart, or other rightwing websites that we know have linked to us in the past. These trolls literally have a list of bookmarks to websites they go to and spam their rightwing nuttery on. Gamergaters did that a few years ago and now it's a time-tested trolling tradition.

by Anonymousreply 110July 25, 2020 2:54 AM

R96, isn't that from the same thread where Muriel said he had way of knowing who posted what on Datalounge, then bragged about all the celebrities and gossip columnists he knew who posted here? I think he's pulling our collective legs. The only two foreign agents I've ever seen him redtag were a Brazilian who had posted here for years and who he later removed the redtag from, and a guy from Slovenia who said repeatedly he was Slovenian but who Muriel thought was hiding his foreign origins.

by Anonymousreply 111July 25, 2020 2:57 AM

ABC: Joe Biden holds a discernible-though not insurmountable-Electoral College advantage over Trump

-279 EVs solidly or leaning Dem

-72 EVs rated as toss-ups

-187 EVS solidly or leaning GOP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 25, 2020 3:10 AM

[quote] Some are the kind of Trumpsters who spam the entire internet with their spew, and may have heard about us on Gab, Kiwifarms, 4chan, Breitbart, or other rightwing websites that we know have linked to us in the past. These trolls literally have a list of bookmarks to websites they go to and spam their rightwing nuttery on. Gamergaters did that a few years ago and now it's a time-tested trolling tradition.

This poster nailed it. A lot of extreme right wing trolling is homegrown and also coming from places such as the UK, Scandinavia, Canada, Australia, etc. A number of these trolls are even gay: take for instance that UK YouTuber whose name I do not want to explicitly mention so as not to give him unnecessary traffic (no, not Milo Y., someone else) Every once in a while, he or one of his cohorts will start a thread here asking if we find him attractive, how on the money he is in some video spouting the usual alt wing bile, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 113July 25, 2020 3:21 AM

alt-right, not alt wing ^^

by Anonymousreply 114July 25, 2020 3:29 AM

R111 lies. Lies. Just stop.

We call Russian troll to bullshit because we’re probably more right than wrong.

by Anonymousreply 115July 25, 2020 5:09 AM

Trump's problem is moderate republicans who will not vote for him this time.

by Anonymousreply 116July 25, 2020 5:35 AM

R104: it absolutely is "clinched." That poster was right. "To clinch" means "to secure." "Cinching" refers to the literal act of strapping (e.g., a belt).

"Clinched the vote" (exact phrase) = 103,000 hits on Google

"Cinched the vote" (exact phrase) = 28 hits on Google (only 3 pages)

by Anonymousreply 117July 25, 2020 5:50 AM

Mitt is looking busted in OP's photo. His dumbness shows through in his face.

by Anonymousreply 118July 25, 2020 6:17 AM

Boris is shorthand for right wing troll. Only trolls themselves would find it important to insist their trolling more nuanced in order for others to not immediately dismiss their comments and, as a result, the message can't stick. That's all what the "nuanced" plea and argument is about.

If your comment walks like a duck, talks like a duck ...

by Anonymousreply 119July 25, 2020 6:26 AM

I have no doubt there are genuine, American-bred and British Deplorables on DL that I have inaccurately called "Boris" or "Natasha."

But the modern Republican Party are traitors who support leaders, from the Mercers and Breitbart, to the Trump Organization, to Moscow Mitch, to Lindsey Graham and the N.R.A., who collude, collaborate and take millions from Russia and reward Russia for hacking U.S. election systems, breaking and undermining U.S. law and paying bounties for killing U.S. soldiers. They also embrace any FAKE NEWS and loony Pizzagate theory on Facebook, etc. designed by Russians to dupe them. So every Republican voter in the U.S. deserves the "Boris" label.

Republicans have chosen their side and it's the side of tyranny and obedience to hostile, foreign mafiarchs. Unwittingly or not, Republicans are working for Vladimir Putin in a campaign against democracy itself and have no problem about dictators or Republican officials breaking the law — they're good, little Nazis.

They chose Russia over Democrats, so don't come crying to me about who's a Russian troll versus who's a Russian pawn. They're ALL BORISES NOW and their breath smells like Putin's taint.

by Anonymousreply 120July 25, 2020 3:44 PM

I'd like to see Donald Trump's white trash army of suckers go live in Russia.

That's the least they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 121July 25, 2020 3:51 PM

I will repeat, Biden only needs to get the states that went for Hillary plus Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. It's done, quit giving yourselves anxiety attacks. Does that mean we slack off and not do the work? Of course not.

Trump only appeals to his base now, which is not enough to win. The rest of us want him gone. The real challenge will be in flipping the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 122July 25, 2020 4:10 PM

Michael Moore, no Republican at all, thinks the same. Biden might regret allowing the far extreme left to have the loudest message for the country.

by Anonymousreply 123July 25, 2020 4:21 PM

[quote]isn't that from the same thread where Muriel said he had way of knowing who posted what on Datalounge, then bragged about all the celebrities and gossip columnists he knew who posted here?

Probably the same thread but I think you're misconstruing what he wrote.

[quote]Nope. "insiders" do not post here. They do not post anywhere. You may not recall the collapse of the Prancing Pony delusions where an "insider" was leading on thousands of fangirls about the sexual peccadillos on the set of the LOTR.

[quote]It was all lies by a troll that played them for YEARS.

[quote]Gossip by "insiders" is really just the 10,000 typing monkeys re-invent Shakespeare syndrome. Sometimes the random typing monkey is right.

[quote]There were more gossip columnists in years past which provided more fodder for threads on DL. It was never insiders. Several gossip columnists have posted here and continue to post here to test their material. Other than that I could not possibly comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 25, 2020 5:08 PM

R123, Biden Isn't "allowing" shit. The media decides what to highlight and it's all about the clicks.

The reason I'm not particularly worried about that is that Biden is too well known. The Trump campaign has been desperately trying to tie Biden to some of the more extreme elements on the left for months and it just isn't working. It just doesn't match what people know about Biden from his decades of public service.

by Anonymousreply 125July 25, 2020 5:11 PM

100 days is a lifetime in politics. Anything can happen including Biden saying or doing something sooooo stupid that this lead vanishes in a heart beat.

by Anonymousreply 126July 25, 2020 5:18 PM

R126, such as what?

It’s just not going to happen. Trump will always be his worst enemy and will do everything that DOESN’T serve his political interests.

And you’re pining you’re hopes on some Biden gaffe to throw the whole thing back to Trump? Lol

by Anonymousreply 127July 25, 2020 5:35 PM

Uh-huh, r126, right. And just who do you think is more likely to "say or do something sooooo stupid?" Biden? Or Donald "Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV" Trump?

Of course, you were also the one who wrote that:

[quote]Trump hasn't even BEGUN to unleash his wrath against Biden. And there's actually some critical ammo that will stick in people's minds. Like Hunter. Like "socialism". Like anarchy in the streets. Biden better be ready to fight back and fight back hard or he's doomed.

So we already know what to think of your political judgment.

by Anonymousreply 128July 25, 2020 5:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 25, 2020 5:41 PM

“And number three, I think the voters that are most animated in opposition to the president tend not to come out to vote ― and that’s young people and the minorities. They’re active in polls, but not necessarily active at actually getting out to the polls,” the senator said.

Romney is trolling young people & minorities - "oh sure, yeah, you protest, but you don't VOTE!"

If young people minorities aren't energized - which I actually think they are - then we are truly lost...

by Anonymousreply 130July 25, 2020 7:28 PM

Yeah, r130 sort of, but young people have never been an important part of any winner's campaign. They don't ever vote so they don't ever count, but the older people get the more they vote and Trump is losing seniors. Game over.

by Anonymousreply 131July 25, 2020 8:50 PM

But they're not lacking energy or voter registration, r130, so there's nothing for you to "worry" about..

by Anonymousreply 132July 25, 2020 8:54 PM

It'll be a cold day in hell when Biden wins.

by Anonymousreply 133July 25, 2020 10:07 PM

R133 How is your dictator handling your pandemic in Moscow?

Russia- full of drunks and whores.

by Anonymousreply 134July 25, 2020 10:22 PM

Mother Russia is a fucked up, third world country that is full of beaten down alkies and whores. They contribute NOTHING to the world other than oil, which we are all fighting to transition away from.

Why would a United States President want to cater to them??????????

by Anonymousreply 135July 25, 2020 10:59 PM

[quote]It'll be a cold day in hell when Biden wins.

Says the moron who wrote: "POLLING IS FAKE SCIENCE!!!" in another thread.

Because they pay him, R135, and have paid him for years. A lot of his money came from Russian oligarchs.

by Anonymousreply 136July 26, 2020 1:31 AM

I read an report where they claimed Russia, China and Iran is trying to fuck with our elections...so who the fuck is gonna win is a wild guess. Last time around, it was only the Russians right?

Just go and vote blue, no matter where you are.

by Anonymousreply 137July 26, 2020 1:51 AM

A lot of Republicans are running with the "skewed polls" meme again (i.e., "they only poll Democrats!") so you can expect to hear a lot of talk about unskewed polls again this year. That's probably where R133 is coming from.

You'd think they would have learned from the Obama/Romney race, when the polls turned out not to be skewed after all and Republicans were all flummoxed.

by Anonymousreply 138July 26, 2020 2:57 AM

You can blame Russia all you want, but you eventually need to come to grips with the fact that this country is filled with incredibly ignorant, angry people. Russia didn't force America to vote for Bush twice, or elect the Tea Party idiots. If anything, you can blame Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 139July 26, 2020 4:49 AM

[quote] You can blame Russia all you want, but you eventually need to come to grips with the fact that this country is filled with incredibly ignorant, angry people.

Yep. Russia interfered via social engineering, but when you get right down to it, enough people in enough key states voted for Trump. He’s in office because people voted for him and he won. A significant chunk of the electorate is either insane, stupid, or so cynical that it makes them stupid.

by Anonymousreply 140July 26, 2020 3:02 PM

All of these things are true, Russian interference, American dimwits, and Republican cheating/voter disenfranchisement. It was the perfect storm in 2016, add to that all of the Hillary hatred and fake scandals, and voila! Trump is Preznit.

by Anonymousreply 141July 26, 2020 4:08 PM

The Republicans want to send the kids back to school, so their parents can go back to work, so that the economy can miraculously recover, so that people will miraculously vote for Trump on the basis of a recovering economy. It's the ultimate in magical thinking, but that's all they got.

by Anonymousreply 142July 26, 2020 4:18 PM

R142 They’re already back to work. Or working from home. Or out of a job.

by Anonymousreply 143July 26, 2020 8:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!