Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shopping For Groceries Is Like Hell Right Now (PT 9)

Shortages make a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 600August 28, 2020 10:36 PM

Link to previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2020 6:24 PM

I've noticed shortages in the food I eat. Walmart had a decent amount of TP, but still low on cleaning products. If you go to the soda aisle it is packed. Except for a few products I've never seen the shelf empty on coke, diet coke, pepsi. If you drink someone that most people don't (tab) you won't find any anywhere. Because of the aluminum shortage they have decide the piss people off that don't buy their mainstay products. I should be grateful because it got me off of my tab addiction.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2020 6:36 PM

I would assume they're putting their aluminum towards the products that more people buy.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2020 6:41 PM

Glad I grabbed extra aluminum foil a few weeks back!

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2020 6:42 PM

The old thread isn't full yet.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2020 6:45 PM

it is now

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2020 6:57 PM

For a few weeks there seemed to be a real shortage of soft drinks and iced tea and the like but it seems like all stores got their shipments in this week.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2020 7:00 PM

I haven't really wanted a pair before, but starting to think that safety goggles of some kind might be good to have.

Has anyone had any luck finding them anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2020 7:05 PM

I was at Costco yesterday and they had all of the usual things I like.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2020 7:07 PM

What is bad at groceries store is the people. They are all on edge, judgmental and crazy. Ugh. Now when tourists come to where we live. Pack a cooler assholes.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2020 7:11 PM

R8, zenni has optical quality pretty cheap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2020 7:12 PM

R8 you can get them at Walmart for pretty cheap. Depending on the style you want, you can get a 3-pack for $5.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2020 7:23 PM

Good, the old thread was paywalled.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2020 7:42 PM

Nowadays, you buy what you can get, not necessarily what you wanted when you walked in.

That's life in Trump's America.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2020 7:43 PM

r14 Trump has turned us int a Soviet state.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2020 7:46 PM

And Portland has been turned into Buenos Aires in 1975, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2020 7:47 PM

R11 and R12 thank you very much, as always I appreciate help on these threads!!!

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2020 8:51 PM

R8, the reason I mentioned optical quality is because I’ve been wearing face shields (medical issues) and they are very easily obscured by cleaning. The visibility is foggy at best and it’s practically impossible to see ATM displays, sign papers, anything that requires being able to see through the shield close up. For driving it’s okay.

As far as I can tell, using hand sanitizer and similar disinfectants wreck them in no time flat. Optical quality goggles might be a better deal in the long run than having to continually replace disposable goggles. You can clean glasses with Dawn soap. You can get them in prescription too. We’re probably in this for the long haul, so now I’m looking at more long term reusable equipment.

If anyone can recommend a high grade face shield that is clear and easy to see through, and available, I’ll gladly pay more for it. I really need a higher grade one.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2020 10:14 PM

Don't shop at Walmart. They overcharged me on a delivery by $65 and it was difficult to get a refund. My credit card company dealt with them in the end, and Walmart resisted and lost; ha-ha. Cunts. Generally at the moment, I am not finding grocery shopping a challenge; in March it became difficult and that's why I had a brush with Walmart which is supposedly a logistical miracle. Miracle Whip more like it made in the bario.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2020 10:27 PM

[quote] If you drink someone that most people don't (tab) you won't find any anywhere

That was a lot of the shortage, the smaller labels. for me it was Diet Sunkist.

Coke, Coke Zero, Pepsi, Mountain Dew all had plenty in stock.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2020 10:42 PM

Sadly Walmart is the only major retailer that has come through. They've left everyone in the dust when it comes to availability of inventory.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2020 11:24 PM

[quote] Sadly Walmart is the only major retailer that has come through.

Publix do me proud (that Fla).

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2020 11:27 PM

I haven't noticed any weird shortages in my local Queens supermarket since April. Must be a regional thing.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2020 12:00 AM

It was difficult to get drinking water in gallon jugs so I got a Brita and now do my own, which works very well.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2020 12:04 AM

Why can't I bookmark this thread, Shopping...#9?? This has never happened to me yet.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2020 3:46 AM

Nevermind.. please continue.

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2020 3:47 AM

R18, if you are driving around with a face shield on I think you might be getting a tad carried away. But I’m no biologist.

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2020 3:59 AM

R27, I’m on medication right now that makes my immune system very suppressed. I don’t drive with the face shield on, but if I’m sitting in the car looking out the window, the visibility looks acceptable. But anything with an electronic display is almost always obscured.

I’m going to end up having an open wound in my nose after surgery, so I’d really like to get a face shield to wear with a mask. I don’t plan to go anywhere if I don’t absolutely have to, but I’ve had a lot of doctors’ appointments lately and there’s no avoiding them.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2020 4:29 AM

i know face shields can be hard to see out of and I'm sure this isn't the case for you but just in case...

A friend of mine was complaining that she couldn't see shit when wearing her face shield. She was saying it wasn't just hard to see but nearly impossible so she took it off and put it away only to realize later that it had a film on it that she was supposed to peel off.

Make sure you've done that.

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2020 5:17 AM

R78, can you wait on the surgery? Wouldn't want to have an open wound in my nose right now. Hell, I wouldn't want to have surgery right now. What kind of surgery leaves an open wound? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2020 8:01 AM

Apparently not knowing there's a film on the shield is a common thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2020 8:09 AM

What, exactly, do these people think a face shield worn without a mask is going to accomplish? Unless someone is shooting blood, vomit, pus, or sputum onto your face, it makes no sense. Viruses will just follow the air current under or around the shield. The only time it would be useful is if someone sneezed directly on the face shield because it would block the giant droplets but all the tiny droplets are still getting into your eyes, mouth, and nose around the entire open area if you aren't wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2020 8:25 AM

R30, sinus surgery that involves drilling a hole up my nose. Then having a drain tube in my nose for months. I put it off all through the lockdown in March, April and May, and got such a bad infection I almost lost my eye. It’s finally getting better, but only until the meds wear off. I need the surgery right away, I can’t delay any more. In another couple of months we’re going to be seeing more than 100,000 cases a day and I don’t want to go to the hospital then even more.

My surgeon seems to be in denial about whether he’ll even be allowed to do surgeries in a couple of months, but luckily mine isn’t elective any more. If I have to have tests, I get up and go to Quest or wherever the minute they open.

Reminder for people that have to get an x-ray now: make sure you take off every piece of jewelry and metal before you go. Bring your own pen. I was wearing a cross I forgot about, and I couldn’t get the clasp undone. They made me put it in my mouth with my dirty gloves that just touched their pen at the appointment desk. Don’t wear a bra, even a sports bra, because they’re going to make you take it off and put it down somewhere. I had to put my clothes in a locker that looked dirty inside, and touch a metal key that someone else may have touched. Covid lasts on metal for hours. Their precautions are for them and not you. Bring an extra pair of gloves with you in a sandwich bag. I didn’t see any extra gloves around anywhere and they probably don’t have any. Didn’t see any hand sanitizer and there was nowhere to wash my hands or gloves. They take you straight to a room now and you can’t come out until it’s time to be x-rayed.

If I had worn a caftan with no earrings, I might have gotten away with wearing my own clothes.

If I have to bring papers or ID to the doctor, I put them in a zip lock bag with the info facing outward if possible. Covid lasts on plastic a long time, so if you do this, wipe the bag down with disinfectant and put it in the trunk, or inside a larger clean plastic bag when you’re done.

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2020 10:12 AM

[quote]If I have to bring papers or ID to the doctor, I put them in a zip lock bag with the info facing outward if possible. Covid lasts on plastic a long time, so if you do this, wipe the bag down with disinfectant and put it in the trunk, or inside a larger clean plastic bag when you’re done.

And that is more effective than just throwing the bag away?

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2020 12:21 PM

Fine R34, do it your way. I’m just trying not to lose anything. And they’re the same papers for every visit.

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2020 12:38 PM

"They made me put it in my mouth with my dirty gloves"

What? Dirty gloves in your mouth?

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2020 1:11 PM

Where can i get a can of spray Lysol? Is it found only on the deep web now?

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2020 1:18 PM

R36, they made me put my necklace in my mouth because I couldn’t get the clasp open. It was stuck. I had to touch the necklace with my gloves. It was for a chest x-ray and obviously they can’t have a necklace on an x-ray. I guess that’s what they do with people who have necklaces they can’t or won’t take off. Normally, it would be no problem.

I never take that necklace off and it’s very small and light. I completely forgot I was wearing it and had no idea I wasn’t going to be able to get it off. I tried to get it off with gloves on but it wouldn’t come off, and the tech was getting impatient. When I got home, I struggled with it for a long time. I couldn’t have done that with her waiting. So I took it off, and I’m not wearing any more jewelry until this is over.

R37, I don’t know about aerosol spray Lysol, but regular bathroom cleaner spray Lysol in the plastic bottle is available at Big Lots. The containers are smaller than the usual, and they have a limit, I think it’s one. But they also have spray tub and tile cleaners, and I bought one of each when I was there.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2020 1:35 PM

The USPS mailman STOLE my Lysol package.

I know they did because they marked it delivered at a certain time but no package as per video camera.

Thieves!!!

What do I do now?

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2020 1:38 PM

ENNNNyway, back to what's on / not on the shelves:

Antibacterial wipes are still hard to come by, although I DID score some house brands recently at both Dollar Tree and CVS/health.

Name-brand soft drinks STILL sell for a scandalous eight bucks a case.

And as I noted in an earlier post, just about EVERYTHING else now costs 50 cents to a dollar more, regardless of what the item is.

Big Food is starting to suck just as badly as Big Pharma.

by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2020 1:56 PM

In before paywall!

Last week, for the first time since March, I was able to buy two cans of Lysol spray (the smaller ones, but still) at my local grocery store here in CA. When I looked up and saw them on the top shelf, I instantly thought of the denizens of the shopping threads here, and wished I could send some to you all.:) I've also been having luck lately finding Microban at my local CVS, which has also had a ton of 70% alcohol hand sanitizer. More hand sanitizer than soap lately.

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2020 2:02 PM

Hand soap was sold out yesterday at the local market. I’ll just use shower gel.....

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2020 2:17 PM

R27, Don't face shields fog up like eyeglasses do with a mask on?

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2020 2:26 PM

Anybody had experience with having a package stolen, not off the porch, but by the mailman BEFORE it ever got to the porch?

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2020 2:35 PM

yes, you can kiss it goodbye. you have to report to the postmaster general or something ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2020 2:42 PM

Yes, call the PO to report it. Then go to their website to report it.

When you call the PO tell them unless the package shows up soon you're going to file a complaint against the postal carrier. Get his name. And the local PO. Get the manager's name.

I did this. Its a bitch but they stopped fucking with me.

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2020 2:44 PM

Tell USPS that this is a police matter if they don't get your property back for you.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2020 2:48 PM

[quote]The USPS mailman STOLE my Lysol package. I know they did because they marked it delivered at a certain time but no package as per video camera.

It's possible that it was delivered to the wrong house. That's happened to me.

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2020 2:48 PM

If it goes to the wrong house round here then that's the end of the matter. The neighbors are all too stoned on their meds and booze to notice they have another person's delivery.

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2020 2:54 PM

If you don't get your package, report it to the postal inspectors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2020 2:58 PM

Report it. Don't delay. If the mail carrier thinks they've gotten away with it they'll do it again to you and/or someone else.

by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2020 3:07 PM

Will do!

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2020 3:13 PM

Canned tomatoes still sparse in CT, no tomato paste, canned tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, only off brand crushed. Weird! Paper towel & TP are back sanitizer & bleach everywhere but still no disinfecting wipes or lysol spray.

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2020 3:15 PM

We have a good postal employee right now (in our new-ish city) and that is a godsend.

We had the most terrible delivery folks while in Chicago. Terrible. Thieves, and couldn't read worth a damn, so packages would always end up elsewhere. They delivered maybe 3 days out of six.

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2020 3:16 PM

R43, a lot of it depends on how your mask is set. They can a little bit, but if your glasses or face shield fog up, pull the mask higher. Once the mask is in place, press down all along the wire, from one side to the other, not just around the nose but under the eyes, end to end, all along the top edge of the mask. This helps a lot with steam escaping. Also, if you don’t wear glasses, it might be worth it to put on some nonprescription sunglasses or something to hold your mask down. Make sure the mask is tight on the sides too, that helps. Costco sells masks that have an adjustable bead on the ear straps so you can tighten them. Tighten the ears up and the mask will be tighter, that helps with fogging up.

R39. You can do something about it. Get the tracking number, call USPS customer service line, and tell them you don’t have it and you have a camera that proves you never got it. Talk to a supervisor and get their name and number. They will ask you to file a claim. Miraculously, your package will appear without explanation in a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2020 3:25 PM

also, if it says it was delivered Saturday or Friday, give it another business day. they often mark things as delivered so that they aren't out delivering until late at night and deliver it the next day

by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2020 3:37 PM

^^ no.

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2020 4:55 PM

UPS is driving me crazy. They sent me emails on Thursday telling me I had three packages arriving on Friday. Then on Friday they sent me emails saying those three were rescheduled for Saturday, plus there would be one more. On Saturday, ONE package was delivered. Now they're telling me the other three will arrive on Monday. I really don't care that much about them being late -- I just hate that they keep making inaccurate notifications. If you can't meet a commitment, then don't make it.

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2020 5:11 PM

Strangely the best for delivery were Walmart and Overstock. My items from both places actually arrived a day earlier than stated.

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2020 5:19 PM

Is it even worth it to buy a bread making machine? My oven is 1000 years old, and my landlord won't fix it.

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2020 5:20 PM

By law your landlord has to fix it R60.

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2020 5:22 PM

Developing world postal system.

by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2020 5:23 PM

Yes I know r61, but he's one of those vindictive types- I had the microwave die on me, and it was a battle royale that he lost. However, he increased the price on the storage room (by $25/mo) that I was renting out, and he never increased it in the 9 years that I had been here.

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2020 5:26 PM

I was able to score wipes at Target everyday. They had deliveries everyday and one per person only. So I was going there everyday. Now I have 10 clorox wipes stocked up. Sadly, the wipes are not coming everyday now...it's been 4 days and they are putting toilet paper where the wipes used to be. So now I'm stocking up on toilet paper...

this is in NYC

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2020 5:31 PM

I was able to score wipes at Target everyday. They had deliveries everyday and one per person only. So I was going there everyday. Now I have 10 clorox wipes stocked up. Sadly, the wipes are not coming everyday now...it's been 4 days and they are putting toilet paper where the wipes used to be. So now I'm stocking up on toilet paper...

this is in NYC

by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2020 5:31 PM

I'm getting ready to move because my landlord doesn't have the money to replace the AC R63. He also screwed shut the windows. Last month I am here I'm going to file a complaint with the landlord/tenant department. Until he gets the windows operational and replaces the AC he won't be able to rent the place out.

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2020 5:31 PM

But bread machines, used on eBay. Cheap and plentiful.

by Anonymousreply 67July 19, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote] Is it even worth it to buy a bread making machine? My oven is 1000 years old, and my landlord won't fix it.

How is your landlord responsible for this bread making machine? Furnished apartment? If he/she is a good landlord, I'd just replace it myself.

by Anonymousreply 68July 19, 2020 6:39 PM

A used bread machine? In the pandemic?

by Anonymousreply 69July 19, 2020 7:46 PM

r60 Get a toaster oven or a countertop oven. The larger ones can handle a loaf of bread.

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2020 7:52 PM

R32, I wouldn't personally wear a face shield without a face mask, but masks and shields are primarily to protect others from getting sick from you. People may feel that if the face shield is blocking their droplets from getting to you then that's all they need to do as long as people around them are also covered.

by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2020 8:09 PM

R60 dug out my 20 year old breadmaker when we were completely locked down in March/April. We used it 3-4 times a week for bread, pizza dough, pretzel dough etc. buy one for lockdown v2 super easy to start and then leave alone esp if you are working from home.

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2020 8:09 PM

Good luck with the complaint at the USPS. I mean that sincerely. In my experiences, USPS and UPS delivery workers are much like the police... they stick together. Whenever I've tried to file a complaint about missing packages or awful service (like UPS mishandling deliveries), it's always 1) impossible to get a hold of them 2) they couldn't care less 3) they don't fix the problem 4) they retaliate.

More than likely with a missing package they'll say it was delivered to your doorstep and someone must have taken it or it was delivered to the wrong address. I would imagine they won't reimburse you and tell you to contact the company and have them issue a refund or send out another order, which the company will probably do.

by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2020 8:12 PM

R53, Have you tried WalMart online?

I ordered a couple 3-packs of Cento San Marzano peeled tomatoes (28 oz.) from them recently. I'm in CA, but I just tried a couple CT zip codes (as my delivery zip code), and it says they're available.....as well has 4-packs of Cento Tomato Paste (in tube). They also appear to have Muir Glen, Contadina & Hunts tomato sauce. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2020 8:13 PM

R74, since you're in CA, I'm going to recommend these Bianco tomatoes. They're grown in CA & they're organic. So far, they're the best canned tomatoes that I've tried. Price is similar to Muir Glen brand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2020 8:17 PM

Goya products are available at all reputable markets and they're very good.

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2020 8:21 PM

Do you enjoy their products as much as you enjoy your Daddy's dick, Vanka?

by Anonymousreply 77July 19, 2020 8:27 PM

Our devices are watching us!

First someone mentions face shields and I post about the film and then Tik Tok immediately loaded me video of someone realizing there was a film.

Now we talk about bread making and Tik Tok loads this video for me.

So now I have to ask... what numbers are going to win me $100 million in lottery winnings... or how do we secure a Biden win in November... or WHERE CAN I FIND LYSOL????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 19, 2020 9:02 PM

r78, Google geolocation (use Incognito browsing option or a VPN if you're concerned, esp. when travelling), and turn off the microphone access to FB and IG.

by Anonymousreply 79July 19, 2020 9:07 PM

In general, I am happy when I see a package is being sent via either UPS or FedEx. I signed up on both of their sites....not a full fledged account because I am not a sender (or rarely send) but if you sign up, one benefit is that you can see all the packages coming to you under one summary. When I have a UPS package, they will generally send me an email the day before, and a second one the morning of saying "Track your deliver" - it's not to the second exact, but it gives you a good idea when they are in your area.

FedEx isn't quite as specific with the hour by hour updates but they too will send a message day before, and usually try to give you a 4 hour window for delivery if they have it.

Our postal person here is much better and I am usually not concerned when a package is coming USPS, they have been dependable with packages. Regular mail, not so much, but I suspect that is more a regional sorting center issue (it's been in the news, even pre COVID, and they had positive cases with COVID that shut them down).

What I do not like is a vendor called OnTrac, which is apparently only in the western part of the US. They have lost a few packages and I've had to basically chase down the delivery person from making deliveries to the wrong place on two other occasions. Walmart seems to love to use them. If you see that something was sent via OnTrac, expect it to either be delayed, lost or given to your neighbor!

by Anonymousreply 80July 19, 2020 9:37 PM

[quote] "Track your deliver"

*delivery

by Anonymousreply 81July 19, 2020 9:38 PM

Yes, R79. But I use DL on my computer with a VPN and I don't use Google... and the Tik Toks are on my phone! Two different devices, no microphone on the computer (and I didn't say the words face shield or bread) and my phone isn't connected to the wifi!

by Anonymousreply 82July 19, 2020 9:43 PM

I agree that OnTrac is terrible, but I still think UPS is the worst. They are careless with packages and I have had numerous issues where a package needs to be signed for and they will ring the bell and literally within 10 seconds they're gone. I'm not exaggerating that. I once waited right by the door for them and they took off immediately after knocking. I had to run out down the driveway to catch them. They do this routinely and I don't understand how it benefits them because they're going to have to come back two or three times now until they can make me go in and pick it up.

Another issue I once had was that they were supposed to pick up a package from the hotel I was at. It sat there for two weeks with UPS saying that the package was not available for pickup. That obviously didn't make sense because there's a 24 hour front desk and it was the same clerk there from 8AM - 8PM and they swore up and down that UPS did not ever show up and told me that UPS rarely comes to their area because FedEx had a monopoly on the delivery. I had to call UPS every single day and the Driver kept just saying they went and there was no package. It escalated to the point where the Driver was made to go to the hotel and call the UPS dispatch center to let them know he was there and then the dispatch center called the hotel number themselves to verify he was there.

by Anonymousreply 83July 19, 2020 9:52 PM

The other thing that UPS routinely does that I have not encountered with any other delivery service is say that the item is out for Delivery at 8 am and you wait all day for it and then at 8pm you get a notice from UPS saying there was "weather issues" that has delayed delivery. I find that this usually always happens on a Friday and you then have to wait the weekend to get your package.

Also, I'm in CA. We don't have weather.

by Anonymousreply 84July 19, 2020 9:53 PM

We must be lucky with UPS then, I think they have a code for our building.

by Anonymousreply 85July 19, 2020 9:53 PM

r82, but are you using the same browser on your laptop and phone? If so, they are synced somehow.

by Anonymousreply 86July 19, 2020 10:26 PM

No, R86.

by Anonymousreply 87July 19, 2020 10:31 PM

R87 huh. Siri or Alexa is enabled?

by Anonymousreply 88July 19, 2020 11:06 PM

Nope, I don't have either of those. And again, I didn't speak the words bread making or face shield.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence!

by Anonymousreply 89July 19, 2020 11:07 PM

Super creepy r89

by Anonymousreply 90July 19, 2020 11:58 PM

If you are in an area served by Amazon Fresh try for Lysol there if you need it - it's come up twice there for me

by Anonymousreply 91July 20, 2020 11:49 PM

R89 is correct. The same kind of thing across different devices happens frequently. to me Ted Kaczynski did make a few good points

by Anonymousreply 92July 21, 2020 12:07 AM

R84, the reason they do that is because UPS works in tandem with USPS in a lot of cases now.

UPS has a contract to deliver to your town, then once it’s in town, USPS picks it up and delivers it to your house. So the last day of the journey is a USPS tracking number, not a UPS tracking number. If your package gets lost or delayed, you need the USPS tracking number to find out what happened to it.

In a lot of cases, if UPS says it will be there Tuesday, they mean they are putting it in the hands of USPS on Tuesday. You may get it that day, or the next day.

If it doesn’t show up, look up the UPS tracking number and see if it shows it was delivered. Sometimes you’ll see a notation saying it was given to USPS in your town.

If it does, try calling the shipper to get the USPS tracking number.

There’s an app called “Shop” that will track all your pending orders. Or sign up to get text or email alerts from the shipper and keep checking every day or two to make sure it’s still moving along.

by Anonymousreply 93July 21, 2020 1:51 AM

No, R93. I am talking about actual deliveries from UPS. It never fails. If I have a UPS delivery scheduled for Friday, it always says it's out for delivery and then at the very last minute it says, "package delayed due to Weather." Again, there is no weather here. They then end up delivering it on Monday. It is not a case of UPS Sure Post to USPS. It's a case of the driver wanting to cut out early for the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 94July 21, 2020 2:30 AM

r94- there could be inclement weather from where the package originated, or en route to you, not in your immediate area.

by Anonymousreply 95July 21, 2020 2:45 AM

R95 no, there is no "weather," when the package is out for delivery for the day. There is no "weather" difference from my house to the UPS center in the town over.

by Anonymousreply 96July 21, 2020 2:46 AM

I'm the person who complained about UPS back at r58. They finally delivered the three items that were "out for delivery" on both Friday and Saturday. One arrived around 9:30AM. It was a suitcase. The box was completely open on the top and torn down the front. The styrofoam spacers in the top of the box were gone. Fortunately it did not seem to be damaged, but it's ridiculous that they didn't even make an attempt to tape it up.

The other two boxes arrived at 7:30PM (which is their usual delivery time in my area.)

by Anonymousreply 97July 21, 2020 2:47 AM

R97, maybe someone wanted to steal it, but they didn’t want suitcases.

by Anonymousreply 98July 21, 2020 2:49 AM

You could tell it was a suitcase from the printed information on the box. (It was from eBags.)

by Anonymousreply 99July 21, 2020 4:03 AM

Aldi to open more than 70 new grocery stores by end of this year

German-owned supermarket chain Aldi — a deep-discounting, corporate cousin of the popular Trader Joe’s supermarket chain — says it will open more than 70 new US stores by the end of the year in its quest to become America’s third-largest grocer.

Aldi’s US arm is forging ahead with a more than $5 billion expansion plan despite the coronavirus pandemic forcing major retailers such as JCPenney and Pier 1 Imports to close stores around the country.

Aldi US is owned by the German grocer Aldi Süd, one of two separate companies split out of the original family-owned Aldi business. The other, Aldi Nord, owns Trader Joe’s.

The latest wave will bring Aldi into Arizona, its 37th state, with four new stores in the Phoenix area, it said Tuesday. New locations are also slated for New York, Texas, California and Kansas, according to CNBC.

“As we continue to expand, we promise to do everything in our power to offer the lowest prices, every day, without exception,” Aldi US CEO Jason Hart said in a statement.

Aldi, whose US headquarters is in Batavia, Ill., said it now has more than 2,000 stores across three dozen states, putting it on track to become America’s No. 3 grocery chain by store count by the end of 2022.

That’s when the company plans to have 2,500 stores, putting it behind only Walmart and Kroger, which have more than 4,700 and 2,700 US locations, respectively.

Aldi also plans to start construction next year on a regional headquarters and distribution center in Loxley, Ala., that will serve new stores in that state as well as Florida and Louisiana.

Aldi specializes in selling its private-label groceries and household staples at discount prices. Hart said the chain is making hundreds of items cheaper amid the coronavirus pandemic, which has put millions of people out of work and seen food prices spike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2020 4:38 PM

Well, maybe they just didn't want *your* suitcase, r99.

by Anonymousreply 101July 21, 2020 5:01 PM

I did something I swore I wouldn’t do. I had an Amazon return to drop off at Kohl’s. All the mall stores had sales and I went shopping (Kohl’s, Macy’s, Vans, Express). It was sooo much fun! Some thing I needed to do to feel alive lol. There was not too many people at the mall and everyone was wearing masks. Now, I can hide out again😌

by Anonymousreply 102July 21, 2020 9:29 PM

Went shopping for groceries today. They seemed in stock with most everything including wipes but not Lysol. However, price increases across the board. The most surprising was a bag of 5 lb bag of apples I normally buy for about $5 has now doubled in price to $10.

by Anonymousreply 103July 21, 2020 11:35 PM

Was waiting for a pickup outside of a store today in the car, and I could hear an elderly woman with a raspy old voice complaining. She said, loudly so that everyone could hear.....

"Well, clearly Christ will come back before these fools get any fuckin' Clorox Wipes back in the fuckin' store!!"

by Anonymousreply 104July 21, 2020 11:54 PM

R102 that was me at Target last night! Haven’t been since February. I went at 8pm and it was very uncrowded, I practically twirled in the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 105July 22, 2020 12:17 AM

What is the consensus on the next high demand/hard to find items for the fall/winter antcipated surge? I want to start preparing now ... Ive got plenty of hand sanitizer, wipes, disinfectant spray, etc.

by Anonymousreply 106July 22, 2020 12:51 AM

Bring on the pumpkin pies and hot cocoa!

by Anonymousreply 107July 22, 2020 1:13 AM

LOL R105! 🤣

by Anonymousreply 108July 22, 2020 1:24 AM

R106 what disinfectant spray have you got?

by Anonymousreply 109July 22, 2020 2:22 AM

I don't know what's going on with California. I mean their numbers are sky-high. But I'm having to send my cousin toilet paper again. They're out of everything in Pasadena.

by Anonymousreply 110July 22, 2020 2:25 AM

I have had an easy time recently getting toilet paper delivered from Walmart dot com

by Anonymousreply 111July 22, 2020 2:26 AM

[quote]Anybody had experience with having a package stolen, not off the porch, but by the mailman BEFORE it ever got to the porch?

I suspect this is what happened to my friend who ordered Who Gives A Crap toilet paper. The company was great and resent the order in a box without the logo on it, which is what they should have done the first time.

by Anonymousreply 112July 22, 2020 2:31 AM

That'll teach Pasadena not to keep all the big box stores out of their city!

by Anonymousreply 113July 22, 2020 2:32 AM

(R113) yeah they have one Target. Good luck getting in there.

by Anonymousreply 114July 22, 2020 2:34 AM

r112, I subscribe to WGaC and I've never had to worry about my supply. I do that with my cleaning supplies with Grove, and produce with Imperfect Produce.

by Anonymousreply 115July 22, 2020 3:08 AM

I would love to use their paper, but all the rolls are 3 ply and our ancient plumbing here will only tolerate 1 ply.

by Anonymousreply 116July 22, 2020 3:13 AM

r114 There are two Targets in Pasadena -- one in the old Robinson's department store, and the other in a former Fedco location. Both on Colorado Blvd.

by Anonymousreply 117July 22, 2020 4:01 AM

R106 fruits and veggies. Fresh, canned and Frozen.

by Anonymousreply 118July 22, 2020 7:06 AM

I'm curious what the equivalent to Aldi's is,say, in central CA. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 119July 22, 2020 7:46 AM

R106 stash some paper products, disinfectant cleaners, sanitizer, and some extra food that you eat anyway in the freezer/pantry. I don’t think it will get bad up in the Northeast again until late September but our grocery stores have still been hit or miss on what they have stocked, so if I see something I may need later I buy and tuck away.

by Anonymousreply 120July 22, 2020 10:53 AM

Amazon's Subscribe & Save has canceled one of the food items I'd hoped to be able to count on throughout the pandemic. Now I'm all in a tizzy...woe is me...the end is nigh.

And on it goes. On and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 121July 22, 2020 10:57 AM

R109, In the fall, I actually came upon Target clearancing out their house brand of Lysol (I think they were changing the packaging) for .99 cents a can. So I ended up buying six. At the start of the pandemic in February, I ended up buying some Lysol and Kirkland wipes at Costco.

R118, I bought a small chest freezer, also at the start of things, and Ill start stocking up on veggies too. I am buying 1-2 extra packages of meat a week and starting to use/rotate the meat that I bought earlier.

Im starting to stock up on OTC meds, which is easy at Costco for a two person household.

by Anonymousreply 122July 22, 2020 11:00 AM

R120, Thanks. I started following The Prepared blog in April, so I feel good about all the items you note. Ive also bought an extra proprane tanker for our BBQ grill and have put two 5 gallon gas cans in the garage (I normally keep 1 for the lawn mower)

Ive now started to go through the emergency kit recs on the blog and buying 1-2 items a month to tuck away. I put in a big wire shelf and that is where I am keeping things, it is all organized and helps me feel some modicum of control.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 22, 2020 11:07 AM

I also checked out this e-book from my library ... it was very helpful but a bit frau-y

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 22, 2020 11:26 AM

I feel sorry for all the people who can’t buy basic things, is there a reason why the grocery stores are still so badly stocked in some places? Do people simply hoard groceries or what?

by Anonymousreply 125July 22, 2020 11:31 AM

R123 don’t MARY me, but the PandemicPreps subreddit has been super informative too. No harm in getting ready to stay put when needed.

by Anonymousreply 126July 22, 2020 12:15 PM

Thanks R120/R126 I agree 💯. 8 months ago, Id have Mary’ed you, but it has been an eye opening 6 months ... I will check it out

by Anonymousreply 127July 22, 2020 12:32 PM

Speaking of groceries, if THANKSGIVING were next week, what would be happening. Are people going to pause Thanksgiving this year?

Personally, if Biden wins, I just might throw an all-mask block party.

by Anonymousreply 128July 22, 2020 2:44 PM

walmart will be closed for thanksgiving and will be giving its workers bonuses...saw this on the news last night

by Anonymousreply 129July 22, 2020 2:49 PM

walmart will be closed for thanksgiving and will be giving its workers bonuses...saw this on the news last night

by Anonymousreply 130July 22, 2020 2:49 PM

Penn Ave (Pittsburgh) Aldi has tons of hand sanitizer.

by Anonymousreply 131July 22, 2020 3:12 PM

Someone gave a great tip about veggies and saving storage space by dehydrating them. I never knew that so many veggies and fruits could be reconstituted so easily.

by Anonymousreply 132July 22, 2020 5:39 PM

We'll all be dead by Thanksgiving, so who cares?

by Anonymousreply 133July 22, 2020 6:32 PM

r119 Where are you in central CA? There are some Aldis in the Bakersfield area, and one in Clovis (near Fresno.) They've just announced a major expansion for next year, including more stores in California, but I'm not sure if they're planning to go north or not. They are going to enter Arizona (Phoenix metro) for the first time.

To answer your question -- they are a small store -- maybe the size of a Trader Joe's. 90% of what they carry is their own store brand, and they have only the most common items that people buy. They do have some interesting "Aldi Finds" in both the food and non-food categories, and often a lot of European specialties. You can take a look at one of their ads on their website and get an idea.

The main draw is their VERY low prices. Limited service -- sometimes there are only two or three people in the store. Their checkout system is super-efficient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 22, 2020 6:37 PM

What a great tip, R132! Have you ever prepped a bunch of vegetables for dehydration? Do you know how much effort it is? How much space you need to lay out all those vegetables for dehydrating? Ever worry about bugs? Mold?

by Anonymousreply 135July 22, 2020 7:14 PM

R119, there is no equivalent to Aldi. Maybe Lidl, but I think they're only in eastern US. Aldi is similar to a Trader Joes but full of mostly basics, rather than fun groceries. But they get some German specialty stuff in regularly.

Aldi is putting its 4 AZ stores in less-grocery-saturated, but higher SES parts of Phoenix metro, all in the outermost suburbs. At least 2 of the stores will be within spitting distance of WinCo Foods, another discount grocery chain. There was another one planned for a location a few blocks away from me, also near a WinCo, but they canceled that one, probably due to the fact that a failed Fresh & Easy is one block away, and the neighborhood is jammed with groceries - Kroger, Safeway, WinCo, Super Target and Walmart, and several ethnic groceries, all within a mile.

by Anonymousreply 136July 22, 2020 7:22 PM

Lidl, for some reason, seems to have fallen flat. I don't think they went into the right markets to launch, and I think they lost their investors.

Same happened to Lucky's. Lucky's did well as a small regional grocery, then Kroger tried to rapidly expand it and the minute they pulled their investment, Lucky's collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 137July 22, 2020 7:34 PM

117 - How funny to see the Fedco mention on Colorado ( now Target) Fedco was “event” shopping in my childhood - The fun of Fedco was the GREASY cheese pizza on the way out. Across the street used to be Standard Shoe Store - the kids dept had a huge shoe (“there was an old lady who lived in a shoe ...) for kids to play in. The other Target on Colorado was the old Robinson’s Dept Store. .... Thanks for a happy memory during these crazy days!!

by Anonymousreply 138July 22, 2020 8:10 PM

Someone upthread mentioned buying a freezer, which I did because the freezer in my refrigerator is small. You can freeze a lot of stuff while the Trump Virus rages.

by Anonymousreply 139July 22, 2020 8:13 PM

yup, I have 2.One in the kitchen, one in my office.

by Anonymousreply 140July 22, 2020 8:36 PM

Freezers are great until the electricity goes off 3 days. Generators go well with freezers.

by Anonymousreply 141July 22, 2020 8:52 PM

R105 's skirt [bold]TWIRLED [/bold] up! But then he wasn't wearing underwear.

by Anonymousreply 142July 22, 2020 9:27 PM

i would buy more masks. I heard there's mask shortage in texas.

by Anonymousreply 143July 22, 2020 10:31 PM

Thanks for the Aldi responses. I'm in Monterey County. So it's almost like TJs but with their own brands. Stay safe everyone. Stay in or mask up.

by Anonymousreply 144July 23, 2020 5:11 AM

I have found that TP is VERY plentiful lately. I started buying a pack every time I went to the store. I realized yesterday I have 4 12-roll packs which will last me almost a year. Suddenly paper towels are nowhere to be found, on the other hand. There was 1 lonely bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol on the bottom shelf at the grocery store this week so I bought it. I have collected 4 over the last few months. I feel like a squirrel storing up nuts for the winter.

by Anonymousreply 145July 23, 2020 5:26 AM

EPA Approves Two Lysol Sprays for Killing Coronavirus on Surfaces

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 23, 2020 5:27 AM

CANT FIND THAT STUFF!!!

by Anonymousreply 147July 23, 2020 5:28 AM

Funny, TP is not scarce at the stores I've been to but plenty of paper towels.

by Anonymousreply 148July 23, 2020 5:31 AM

I meant, TP is scarce at the stores I go to but not Paper Towels.

by Anonymousreply 149July 23, 2020 5:37 AM

only on amazon? no wonder bezos made another trillion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 23, 2020 5:41 AM

out of stock on amazon too

by Anonymousreply 151July 23, 2020 5:49 AM

Amazon needs to up its hustle. I saw a listing on Etsy today for a 75 count container of Clorox wipes- $38!

by Anonymousreply 152July 23, 2020 5:49 AM

Amazon has been a disaster this entire time when it comes to cleaning essentials.

by Anonymousreply 153July 23, 2020 6:09 AM

If soap kills the virus on your hands, wouldn’t it also kill the virus on your counter? Why the panic for Lysol?

No shortages in NorCal.

by Anonymousreply 154July 23, 2020 9:05 AM

Well it isn't just the soap killing the virus is it? Isn't it also the vigorous scrubbing (sing Happy Birthday!) and washing of it down the train which prevents spread? Most people probably aren't going to scrub surface areas for as long as necessary. Apparently people can't even be bothered to wear a fucking mask. Plus there's no indication of where it could be on whatever surface so the thought is probably that if you have an effective cleaner, it allows you to just wipe down quickly rather than scrubbing everything for hours.

by Anonymousreply 155July 23, 2020 9:17 AM

the lysol is intended to be used in shared public spaces at work.

At least that is what I need it for, including the company bathroom.

None to be found.

by Anonymousreply 156July 23, 2020 11:43 AM

[quote]No shortages in NorCal.

No shortages of what? I'm also in SoCal and haven't seen any Lysol, have only seen Clorox wipes twice, and still have trouble finding 1 ply toilet paper- just some grossly overpriced Scott at Rite Aid, finally, but not the CVS house brand I used to always buy nor the other generic brands.

by Anonymousreply 157July 23, 2020 1:10 PM

R157, if you’re really having trouble with the one ply, I’d try Seven Eleven or maybe Mexican markets. I haven’t been to a Mexican market yet, but I’ve heard their produce is good and they have been stocked pretty well through some of the worst times, so it’s worth a try. Chinese markets might be good too. Try places you never go. Sometimes Home Depot is a good place for cleaning supplies and toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 158July 23, 2020 1:29 PM

R156, were you that way before?

by Anonymousreply 159July 23, 2020 1:45 PM

I went to Walmart yesterday for the first time since they implemented their mandatory mask policy. I was shocked to see everyone wearing masks. Only one lady and her kids got turned away at the entrance. They also had large signs stating that masks were mandatory.

It's funny, because a couple days prior to the mask mandate, the place was packed and the checkout lines were backed up all the way into the aisles. One lady was getting taken out in handcuffs as we were walking in.

by Anonymousreply 160July 23, 2020 2:02 PM

You bitches made fun of me early in the pandemic when I suggested electrolyzed water/hyporchlorous acid as a virus killer. Well the FDA and EPA has approved it as one. This unit will generate your own, and you can even use it on produce. Keep in mind it needs to be on the surface for 10 minutes to be effective, and like bleach, will lose its effectiveness over time (2 weeks). I haven't used any of my bleach or alcohol reserves because of it.

Hospitals, cruise ships, vets, and the food service industry has been using this technology now to disinfect and sanitize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 23, 2020 2:28 PM

Lysol is available sporadically on Amazon Fresh. I have two cans that I've gotten in the last two weeks.

I think you have to do what I was doing at Walmart - have a cart otherwise filled to meet minimums and then once you get that item in the cart, check out immediately.

by Anonymousreply 162July 23, 2020 2:41 PM

I have tried them, r158. Only 2 ply so far at our 7*11s and local markets. Ralphs had a 24 roll pack of Kroger 1 ply a few months ago and I had a friend with a car snag some for me, but 1 ply is scarce overall because everyone wants 2 ply.

by Anonymousreply 163July 23, 2020 3:06 PM

11:05AM EST, Boxed has (right now) Lysol disinfectant spray, Lysol wipes, 60+Oz bottles of Germ-X, other hand sanitizers, blue masks, toilet paper, paper towels, etc.

by Anonymousreply 164July 23, 2020 3:07 PM

No Lysol showing up for me on Boxed.

by Anonymousreply 165July 23, 2020 3:11 PM

I'm no longer over-buying TP but I do buy a pack whenever I open a new one. The thing I'm now over-buying is Dunkin Donuts Decaf coffee. I'm not drinking anymore than pre-pandemic but I seem to go through it a lot more quickly. I think that's just my perception, though.

No problem with paper towels where I live. I buy the Bounty Select-a-Size in the huge package. Thank god for storage space!

Here's a weird thing though. Having trouble finding Coronita (the small bottles of Corona.) I think the "COVID-19" partiers bought just about all that was available around July 4th. I know the Mexican government closed down the breweries early on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 23, 2020 3:14 PM

For those that need 1-ply TP...

Friend of mine mentioned he's been doing this and while not ideal, seems better than going around everywhere looking for it and being frustrated.

He said he can't find 1-ply anywhere but 2-ply is everywhere so he's been buying 2-ply and just separating the sheets essentially making it 1-ply. Might be worth it if you're running low and worried.

by Anonymousreply 167July 23, 2020 7:07 PM

I went to the Unholy Trinity today: Walmart, Sam’s Club and Costco.

Walmart had tons of boxes of gloves two days ago, and I didn’t get any. Went back today, no gloves anywhere. Lots of sanitizer, including small bottles in the back to school area.

Sam’s: no gloves but masks. Costco: no gloves, but lots of sanitizer and masks. They even had the large bottle of Germ-X. Five boxes of masks maximum. That’s 250 masks. Costco was crowded and seemed normal except everybody had a mask. No social distancing whatsoever, in line or in the store.

Ace Hardware: sanitizer, no masks, which they did have a few weeks ago. No gloves.

FYI, for god sake at least get yourself a bottle of generic Benadryl. I took a new prescription a couple of nights ago and went to bed. A couple hours later I woke up itching all over. Ok, must be having an allergic reaction. Two hours later, the itching was gradually subsiding a bit and I got up to go to the bathroom. My face was scarlet red and swollen to twice its size. I very reluctantly went to the ER at 2:00am. It was me and about four other people, spread out through the large lobby.

They make you take off your gloves, use hand sanitizer (if I’d known that I’d have brought in an extra pair of gloves). Masks are required. They interview you and you see a doctor in the lobby, not in the back. Doctors then prescribed meds to various patients and nurses hand carried the meds to the patients in the lobby. The whole back seems to be locked down for lobby patients. They had three chairs blocked off for every one chair. One doctor came out in a completely enclosed respirator, including a face shield that covered her entire head. When I went to the office to give my insurance info, there was a plexiglas window between me and the staffer. She washed my insurance card with sanitizer.

I got prescribed Benadryl and Prednisone for a few days. If you have an allergic reaction to something, it’s always good to have some Benadryl on hand. You never know.

by Anonymousreply 168July 23, 2020 8:09 PM

That’s a severe reaction you had. Hope it won’t happen again. I always have antihistamines in the house R168 for existing allergies. It can always come in handy, I agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 169July 23, 2020 8:23 PM

R169, yes, it was frightening, because that’s the first time I’ve ever been allergic to a medication in my life. I had no reason to think I would have a problem. So you never know.

by Anonymousreply 170July 23, 2020 10:01 PM

Forgot to mention, Ace Hardware had about twenty signs all over the front of the store saying no entry without masks. They had a sign on a stand outside the door, then had printed out a bunch of paper signs and plastered them all over the doors at eye level. There were so many, I wonder if someone has been giving them a hard time.

When I went to Sams Club, I was wearing a face shield, and one of the employees approached me and asked where I got it (Amazon). She seemed to want one. I noticed that when you come in the door of some of the stores, as soon as they see a face shield they seem to relax. It’s like, “at least this one isn’t going to complain about wearing a mask.”

by Anonymousreply 171July 23, 2020 10:08 PM

What kind of face shield, R171?

Weird since Sam's sells Face Shields. A 4-pack of them is $4.99.

by Anonymousreply 172July 23, 2020 11:28 PM

The grocery store I go to there is a cashier that wears a face shield, mask and gloves.

by Anonymousreply 173July 23, 2020 11:35 PM

stock up when you see stuff you use.

The infection rates are sky high down south and I don't see how the production lines will not be impacted.

by Anonymousreply 174July 23, 2020 11:39 PM

R165, if you download the app and enable notifications, they usually send a notification when they have that stuff. I got a notification that they had Lysol, so I ordered it and posted here within ten minutes. Maybe I got the last can!

by Anonymousreply 175July 24, 2020 12:01 AM

I ordered masks back in mid-March. Unfortunately they were coming from China. By mid-June, no masks. I gave them until June 30th. They issued a refund around June 20th. Guess what arrived earlier this week? I feel bad that I’ve gotten them free but 4 months is a long time to wait for something.

by Anonymousreply 176July 24, 2020 12:03 AM

hold on to those masks. Gift to a friend or a family. I've been stocking up and sending extras to friends and family. I want this to be over but it's not behind us yet.

by Anonymousreply 177July 24, 2020 12:29 AM

R172, they did have face shields at my local Sam’s for about five minutes, but they haven’t had them for a while. They are comfortable (I bought a pack), but they’re pretty flimsy and with foam in front, they’re pretty much uncleanable. They also seem kind of short in front. And it seemed harder to breathe and fogged up a lot. And you could tell they weren’t going to last long no matter how careful you were. You need to buy a lot if you’re going for this type.

This is the one I bought from amazon. I don’t recommend this one as a first choice, because it’s not medical grade and the back is very open. It stands away from your head and there’s big gaps on both sides in the back. The front has good coverage and the top flips up, which is nice, so you can just flip it up to drive. But for some reason the helmet was interfering with my glasses and my glasses would suddenly slip down. I don’t know how, I didn’t see anything, but my glasses were falling down constantly and I didn’t want to reach inside to adjust them.

I ordered a different one, when I get it I’ll give you a review. This one isn’t a total loss, I have bad dust allergies and I can use it to clean the ceiling fans and chandeliers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 24, 2020 12:47 AM

My sister, who is married to a doctor, alerted me to these masks- they are FDA registered as a medical device, create a seal so there is no fogging, and are resuable by sterilizing the mask, which is made of silicone. You buy new filters to put into them-apparently they had a rainbow one, but the only one in stock is the ugly gray one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 24, 2020 2:26 AM

I am ordering that r179, thank you! I have had great luck with the filti fabric recommendation from here.

by Anonymousreply 180July 24, 2020 2:43 AM

What filti fabric?

by Anonymousreply 181July 24, 2020 3:12 AM

Thanks so much, R179! I’m ordering it too. The only masks I’m finding are low grade “not medical grade” disposable masks and I’m having to go to the doctor’s office and Quest constantly. Believe me, if I could stay the hell away from there I would. Every time I go, I wonder if this is the time my luck runs out.

by Anonymousreply 182July 24, 2020 9:36 AM

r181, you line your masks with it. i am on public transportation for getting to work a few times a week and I haven't caught it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183July 24, 2020 10:17 AM

I'm holding onto them, R177, believe me! The only reason I gave them a deadline is because I can find them pretty much everywhere now. I picked some up at the local Dollar Store.; Target had 10 packs of disposables as well as fabric ones that are washable.

The package was pretty small. I suspect it got wedged somewhere or fell on the floor once it got out to one of the facilities. Oh well, they were very gracious by providing the refund.

by Anonymousreply 184July 24, 2020 12:18 PM

R179 can one order them in Europe too or is it US only?

by Anonymousreply 185July 24, 2020 12:49 PM

when I checked out there was a flat fee and I didn't see anything about international shipping but you could email them r185

by Anonymousreply 186July 24, 2020 1:48 PM

Heads up guys. I am in Las Vegas and can’t find gloves anywhere. There’s about 15 packs of size small at Costco Business Center on MLK, and even less size small at Sam’s Club, Henderson on Serene. If you need gloves and have small hands or have children, hurry up and get some. Nobody has medium or large. My guess is they’ll all be gone by this afternoon.

I heard they were using them up in other states, so the shortage may last a while.

by Anonymousreply 187July 24, 2020 3:39 PM

I have yet to see anyone except an occasional cashier wearing gloves in my sojourns. I bought some at the beginning of this mess but I only used one pair -- it's easier for me to watch what I touch and use hand sanitizer liberally.

Though if I had to take public transportation, I'd sure use them.

by Anonymousreply 188July 24, 2020 4:12 PM

At my Metro store masks are required, of course, and they offer a spritz of sanitizer and gloves. They almost never have my size.

by Anonymousreply 189July 24, 2020 4:17 PM

Thanks R179. I vacillated on buying the mask, but since there doesn't seem to be no end in sight of the coronavirus I really need something that is long term.

by Anonymousreply 190July 24, 2020 4:49 PM

[quote] since there doesn't seem to be no end in sight of the coronavirus

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 191July 24, 2020 4:50 PM

Fuck off R191

by Anonymousreply 192July 24, 2020 4:53 PM

I must have missed the previous discussion about Filti fabric. Interesting. What makes these different than the Blue Shop Towels? Was filti tested specifically for covid? I believe the Blue Shop Towel was also tested to block 95% at 0.3 microns but when tested specifically for Covid, it wasn't as effective as 95%.

by Anonymousreply 193July 24, 2020 5:14 PM

For some reason whenever I click on the link in R179 it doesn't allow me to see any of the pricing or add to cart buttons.

How much are they?

by Anonymousreply 194July 24, 2020 5:16 PM

$39.99 R194

by Anonymousreply 195July 24, 2020 5:19 PM

The filters are expensive, about 2 dollars a piece but if I buy the mask ( and I think I will so thank you very, very much, R179) I want to make sure I will have plenty of filters or the mask will be useless. It does come with 5 filters and each filter is good for 32 hours, but still. I think I'm going to buy the mask in medium and a package of 10 filters for about 23 dollars in addition to the 39 dollars for the mask. It looks like the real deal.

Now, can someone please tell me if silicone is the same as latex, which I am allergic to?

by Anonymousreply 196July 24, 2020 8:13 PM

Latex is naturally derived from plants, silicone is a synthetic polymer derived from silicon, most commonly found in sand. Very few people are allergic to silicone.

by Anonymousreply 197July 24, 2020 8:19 PM

I also ordered extra filters but additionally plan to do what I do with masks. Remove the filter, don't touch it for a few weeks. reuse after that.

by Anonymousreply 198July 24, 2020 8:24 PM

Thank you so much R197. Now I can buy that mask and feel safe about it.

by Anonymousreply 199July 24, 2020 8:52 PM

I bought extra filters too R196, but they should last you a pretty long time. Since there are days I wouldn't be anywhere near people and the amount of time I spend in the grocery store and other places I'm figuring a filter should last a month or more. I'm definitely going to keep time of how long I wear the mask so I am able to change the filter after 32 hours.

by Anonymousreply 200July 24, 2020 9:09 PM

r198, rescue chick- do you think you could cut down the filters from your other company to fit the Castle Guard masks, or would that compromise them?

by Anonymousreply 201July 24, 2020 9:49 PM

I am a cheap and thrifty bitch r201 and will definitely try that. I firmly (hopefully not mistakenly) believe that if you let something, especially fabric, sit for 2 weeks it's fine re virus.

I got the silicone mask for what I (hopefully mistakenly) believe to be the inevitable surge of mutated virus this winter. I will need something hardcore that won't shift around or be affected by my wearing a hat, scarf etc in a blizzard. and won't get soaking wet in said blizzard.

by Anonymousreply 202July 24, 2020 9:53 PM

Rescue Chick, let me know if the altered filters work out, because they're less expensive than Castle Guard's.

by Anonymousreply 203July 25, 2020 2:52 AM

I absolutely will r203! if you don't hear back from me... they didn't work ;)

by Anonymousreply 204July 25, 2020 3:07 AM

MD here and my 2 usual grocery stores have had TP as far as the eye can see the last few weeks. I like the Target brand and am buying an 18 or 24 pack every time I go, just in case.

I'm with R145...another squirrel storing up for the second wave.

by Anonymousreply 205July 25, 2020 3:32 AM

R179 How did your sister and bil find out about these masks?

by Anonymousreply 206July 25, 2020 4:19 AM

r206, I didn't ask, because they just had a baby and are the most OCD anti germ people on the planet, but for the exclusion of their dogs, which they fully admit doesn't fit into their world. He works in genetic research and has to constantly fly from San Diego to San Jose, so I'm sure they're super cautious about catching anything.

by Anonymousreply 207July 25, 2020 4:24 AM

Thanks R207. I ordered mine earlier with extra filters and thinking of buying a second one for someone else.

by Anonymousreply 208July 25, 2020 4:27 AM

[quote]I must have missed the previous discussion about Filti fabric. Interesting. What makes these different than the Blue Shop Towels? Was filti tested specifically for covid?

Blue Tool Box shop towels never tested at 95%, but was tested in multiple layers with COVID19 particulate.

For the poster who asked about silicone- I just heard in an environmental Youtube video that the sand, hydrogen, and carbon are also mixed with rubber, which some people are allergic to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209July 25, 2020 8:20 AM

*WERE

The maskfaqs link is for the poster who wanted to know how Filti and blur shop towels were tested and rated.

by Anonymousreply 210July 25, 2020 8:22 AM

Went to the dentist for my first cleaning after THREE month long reschedules.

Totally happy with the hygiene and sanitation. And they were QUICK!

In and out.

Shopping for groceries is more taxing.

by Anonymousreply 211July 25, 2020 4:02 PM

R187.....SOS Products.com has nitrile, vinyl, and latex gloves available in all sizes. (with the exception small nitrile)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212July 25, 2020 10:39 PM

I got large Robin's egg blue ones on ebay. they have lots of xl too. I got large to go over my regular gloves this winter (something people should be really thinking about)

by Anonymousreply 213July 25, 2020 10:41 PM

In order of best protection against viruses: latex, nitrile, vinyl.

by Anonymousreply 214July 25, 2020 10:48 PM

I have had a hard time finding larger sizes of hand soap.

by Anonymousreply 215July 25, 2020 11:09 PM

I'm on CNN's website now R207. There is an article about MIT scientist developing a mask that is reusable. "Researchers still need to analyze how effectively it catches viral particles..." I'm very curious how Castle Grade got the efficiency ratings so fast when even MIT scientist are still studying the effectiveness of their mask.

by Anonymousreply 216July 25, 2020 11:11 PM

I should said the mask and filter in the Castle Grade masks.

by Anonymousreply 217July 25, 2020 11:17 PM

*should have

by Anonymousreply 218July 26, 2020 12:00 AM

went into cvs, asked the first employee I saw for lysol, they laughed. It has not been seen in months.

by Anonymousreply 219July 26, 2020 12:42 AM

I recently saw a respirator mask very much like the Castle Grade at R179 from a Canadian company, called the O2 Curve.

Seemed stupidly expensive ($69.99), so I was intrigued by the Castle Grade ($39.99). After some research & debate about the two, I'm going with the O2 Curve. Like the ear/head straps better. Replacement filters made in USA.

by Anonymousreply 220July 26, 2020 1:07 AM

r220, the O2 Curve looks like a jock cup, which I guess would be amusing in clubs.

by Anonymousreply 221July 26, 2020 1:12 AM

[quote] I'm very curious how Castle Grade got the efficiency ratings so fast when even MIT scientist are still studying the effectiveness of their mask.

I think it's an interesting idea and shows potential, but I'm also a little cautious about it. One big thing it lacks is NIOSH approval, which is what you really want. In the US you can't get an N95 rating without it. Another thing I wonder about is whether that silicone material would get really sweaty under it.

by Anonymousreply 222July 26, 2020 1:14 AM

Oh, it definitely does, R221....like some BDSM thing. But, the one at R179 looks like a pig's snout to me, with that tear drop shape. They're both awful in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 223July 26, 2020 1:28 AM

ok guys, I'll be waiting for your reviews in a few weeks...before I buy.

by Anonymousreply 224July 26, 2020 1:45 AM

I went to 'High Risk Ralphs' (Rock & Roll location on Sunset) out here in L.A. and they were out of a lot of the Cup Noodles and the basic flavors (chicken, beef) of Rice-a-Roni; hasn't been like that since March-April. Heard some people complain they were out of some other things as well.

Normally I go to the Ralph's on Ventura in Studio City which always has stock, so maybe it was just this specific location?

However, with the exceptions of some paper products, Pavilion's in West Hollywood has been stocked as far as I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 225July 26, 2020 3:39 AM

I'm wary of a lot of the ratings filters and masks are giving themselves.

The Blue Shop Towels were in fact initially tested at blocking 95% of particles (it's why they got so much buzz) but when testing with actual covid particles, it was deemed not to be anywhere near as effective with the actual particle.

That's why I'm curious about the filti filter and whether that rating is based on a standard particle test or if the 95% rating is after testing it against Covid.

The list at maskfaq also seems to have wildly varying numbers for some material such as chiffon which is rated at having a 26.845% efficacy at four layers as compared to the ACSNano study which had two layers of chiffon having an efficacy rate of 83%.

So it's hard to tell the accuracy of any of these studies.

According to the ACSNano study, two layers of Chiffon and 1 layer of 600 TC Cotton can give you an efficacy rate of up to 97% against particles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226July 26, 2020 4:02 AM

[quote]—do we need to start worrying again?

Yes.

Well, I actually think we should never have stopped worrying.

I'm following the rule, if I see it available, I'm getting it. I'd rather have an over abundance of things I need/use than need to be panicked looking for it if/when it all gets bad again. At least most of what I'm buying is shelf-stable and are items I'd use three years from now if needed (TP, etc).

And if you're in Southern CA, then you really don't lose anything stocking up because you should have an emergency stock pile anyway.

by Anonymousreply 227July 26, 2020 4:09 AM

Who has a few extra bolts of chiffon laying around the house?

by Anonymousreply 228July 26, 2020 4:10 AM

Ironically, it might be a hell of a lot easier to find chiffon than some of these hot, in demand, fad of the moment items.

by Anonymousreply 229July 26, 2020 4:15 AM

R228, I do. I bought several yards of it when I saw that study. It's relatively cheap, about $7/yard.

by Anonymousreply 230July 26, 2020 4:21 AM

[quote] And if you're in Southern CA, then you really don't lose anything stocking up because you should have an emergency stock pile anyway.

Well, that's one of the things about emergency preparedness in the U.S.A. (even pre-COVID19)....those who are in middle-to-upper-class can afford to prepare for disasters. Stock up on non-perishables, water & other essentials. If one is living paycheck to paycheck....not so much.

by Anonymousreply 231July 26, 2020 5:27 AM

R231, so true.

My 'paycheck' is lowered by $600 now per week so I'm starting to look for 10/10 deals at the grocery store again, when I used to buy something regardless if it was marked down or not. Tried to apply for CalFresh (our food stamps here in CA) but was denied due to the higher unemployment amount but now that it's gone...

One thing that I did start saving on was bottled water; instead of Arrowhead, I switched to Trader Joe's and am saving a little. Anything helps.

by Anonymousreply 232July 26, 2020 8:14 AM

Look into getting a Britta pitcher and filters, at least as a backup. Costco has them, and they have Kirkland brand filters that go with them for less. I bought extra water for winter, but if I run out, that’s my backup. In the long run it’s cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 233July 26, 2020 10:26 AM

R233, have you ever tried the Pur brand? I feel the filtered water tastes a lot cleaner. I have a faucet filter on my bathroom sink and a pitcher in the kitchen. Before Covid I could find all the supplies I needed at the thrift stores, not so much now but Amazon is okay on pricing. Just don't change the filter at their artificial time limit, you will taste the change... sometimes before the arbitrary time, but mostly after.

by Anonymousreply 234July 26, 2020 12:35 PM

The thoughtful boyfriend left a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car for me. It smells like rum. I find myself enjoying the smell but wanting a rum cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 235July 26, 2020 3:46 PM

So what are you waiting for R235? Live a little

by Anonymousreply 236July 26, 2020 4:11 PM

Another awful experience at Ralphs (Kroger) yesterday. I do like the fact that you can do parking lot pickup and unlike Walmart, there's no minimum, but just like the last time I tried it, they were out of more than half the items I ordered -- including two items that I specifically needed and was unable to get from Walmart.

So then I tried Walmart again ... for one of the items, anyway (the other one they don't carry.) Had to come up with a bunch of stuff I didn't really need to get to the $35 minimum ... and THEY were out of the one thing I needed, too. (But they were also out of some of the things I didn't really need, so what I actually ended up spending was only $23.)

Finally tried Albertson's - and they actually had EVERYTHING I ordered -- even made a substitution and gave me a name brand instead of a store brand one one item. Nothing was out of stock. Free pickup, but they do have a $30 minimum.

I understand that stores can be out of stock, but they really need to do a much better job of keeping their websites updated to reflect inventory. It's beyond frustrating to order something that's shown as "in stock and available" only to find out (after it's too late) that it's not.

by Anonymousreply 237July 26, 2020 5:44 PM

There's a shortage of poppers right now. You can still buy the cheap shit but I like to go high end.

by Anonymousreply 238July 26, 2020 6:17 PM

I plan to, r236.

by Anonymousreply 239July 26, 2020 6:40 PM

Ralph's has been horrible since the start with items being available online and not having it when it's time to pick up.

by Anonymousreply 240July 26, 2020 7:04 PM

R232....F.Y.I. Trader Joe's bottled water (as well as their sparkling mineral waters) is really Crystal Geyser, bottled under TJ's label.

by Anonymousreply 241July 26, 2020 7:38 PM

For those of you trying to save money and still buying bottled water, do none of your faucets work? People are so brainwashed to purchase water in bottles. That was the greatest marketing campaign of the 20th/21st century.

by Anonymousreply 242July 26, 2020 8:39 PM

Depending on where people live R242 the taste of water can vary greatly. I have 5 3 gallon jugs that I take to my local water and ice store because the faucet water taste terrible. I don't even let my dogs drink faucet water.

by Anonymousreply 243July 26, 2020 9:11 PM

Water quality varies significantly, too.

by Anonymousreply 244July 26, 2020 9:12 PM

Here in NY I see that Shoprite, probably the largest supermarkets in the area, still have no cleaning or paper products in their weekly circular. My guess is that means the shelves on the stores are empty of them.

by Anonymousreply 245July 26, 2020 9:16 PM

There are very few places in the US that have bad water. You're just not used to the taste of tap water anymore. Most of the water you buy is just filtered tap water. All water is spring water or did some of you think that there's a magic spring in the middle of each water bottling plant like a little oasis? You're basically paying money for earth-killing plastic bottles. Just reacquaint yourself with the taste of tap water or buy your own filter and you'll save yourself a ton of money.

by Anonymousreply 246July 26, 2020 9:18 PM

Or maybe boil your tap water?

by Anonymousreply 247July 26, 2020 9:23 PM

I am using a brita but a few weeks ago the tap water was rusty colored,this spooked me and I drank bottled water for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 248July 26, 2020 9:29 PM

r242, I live in West Hollywood, and our building has antiquated pipes that our landlord does not want to fix, so there is a lot of rust and visible black and white particles in our water. No thanks. I do have a DuPont filter attached to the faucet, and it tastes better than using a Brita pitcher.

by Anonymousreply 249July 26, 2020 10:19 PM

I'll admit I'm too damn lazy to buy/change filters.

I'd consider boiling though

by Anonymousreply 250July 26, 2020 10:20 PM

My water has a very chlorinated taste/smell, but I have a water dispenser in my refrigerator that goes through a filter and that's all I drink (except when I have to take a pill in the bathroom.) I do use tap water for cooking and coffee.

by Anonymousreply 251July 27, 2020 1:13 AM

Damn it, we were getting lucky for a bit w/Walmart wipes. But now back to nada.

by Anonymousreply 252July 27, 2020 3:07 AM

[Quote]. There are very few places in the US that have bad water.

You poor dear. Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 253July 27, 2020 3:18 AM

[quote] There are very few places in the US that have bad water.

Oooh. Please, do not speak of things that you do NOT know about.

by Anonymousreply 254July 27, 2020 3:20 AM

R242: I have ReadyRefresh (prev. Poland Spring) 5 gallon jugs delivered for my water cooler. I have been doing that for years. I tried Brita and Pur and the NJ water still tastes terrible - a lot worse than NY water. I use tap for bathing and plants only.

No Clorox/Lysol wipes to be found yet again. I have some stored away, but wanted extra for now. None at Shoprite, Rite Aid or Target. Off brand hand sanitizer everywhere. No Purell though. Bertolli frozen foods are scarce - must be a factory delay. I like their Broccoli Alfredo and haven’t seen it in two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 255July 27, 2020 4:26 AM

Been thinking about the 5 gal deal.

by Anonymousreply 256July 27, 2020 4:28 AM

The brainwashing concerning bottled water has taken such strong hold that you get angry over your dependence on it being questioned. You might want to look within. Over 92% of the drinking water in the US is completely fine for drinking. You blathering defenders of the bottled water industry are the ones who do not know what you are talking about. Brainwashed and don't even know it.

If the chlorine smell/taste is an issue in your area, keep it in a pitcher in the fridge. The chlorine dissipates over time. You should also let water you use on your houseplants age for a week or so before you put it on your plants because most of them do not like chlorine. Keep two watering cans and use them in an alternating pattern. Also, fish tank water can be good for plants, too, if you haven't used a ton of chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 257July 27, 2020 6:05 AM

Grocery shortages?

It's good to be living in California.

by Anonymousreply 258July 27, 2020 6:12 AM

R226, It used to say on the original GoFundMe, which was started so they could afford that kind of testing before donating their masks to hospitals, that they tested with actual COVID19 particulate. However, I see on the updated site that they tested with salt aerosol- it says it below the table of results. Very interesting...

[quote]The Blue Shop Towels were in fact initially tested at blocking 95% of particles

Do you have a link for this? I have been following filtration testing since March but never saw that test, and am curious under which circumstances it was conducted. I know from wearing 3 layers of Tool Box that blue towels definitely stop air from going out and can sometimes be difficult to breath through, which is a good sign filtration-wise. I could not blow out a match with my filtered mask on, but my breath whizzed right on through 3 layers of flannel on an unfiltered mask like I wasn't wearing it at all.

However, my science nerd friend with 2 PhDs said there's a theory that most viruses tend to stay attached to droplets or larger particles blocked by cloth masks, rather than continuing through the material. She didn't have any links to back up her claim, though. If she finds any, I'll post them here.

by Anonymousreply 259July 27, 2020 6:28 AM

Interesting R259. I want to hear more about that too!

by Anonymousreply 260July 27, 2020 7:00 AM

[quote]For those of you trying to save money and still buying bottled water, do none of your faucets work?

They sure do, but the water in this area is notoriously bad when it comes out of the faucets. We don't drink it or use it for cooking. Most municipal water is tested at the plant, not after it makes its way through old, corroded pipes. Why assume that everyone is somehow brainwashed because we don't want to drink rust, lead, or black flecks?

by Anonymousreply 261July 27, 2020 7:10 AM

R261, because everyone being water quality experts directly coincides with the marketing push for bottled water. Water quality is the same if not better than is was for the first two hundred years of this country but now it's just not good enough. Ever read quality tests on the bottled water you're paying so much money for?

Also, dentists just love bottled water. None of that pesky flouride to keep people's teeth strong. There's a reason the younger generations have shit teeth and only part of it is sucking on sugar water all day long.

by Anonymousreply 262July 27, 2020 10:19 AM

[quote] There are very few places in the US that have bad water.

This bitch is mental

by Anonymousreply 263July 27, 2020 1:48 PM

[quote] You might want to look within.

Bitch, look within my shitty asshole

by Anonymousreply 264July 27, 2020 2:33 PM

Ah, that's about the intelligence I expect from the likes of you, R264. Thanks for proving me right that you can be ignored. Ignorance isn't your friend. Keep sucking on your plastic, water bottle shaped teat.

by Anonymousreply 265July 27, 2020 6:15 PM

Don't panic if you can't find Clorox wipes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266July 27, 2020 6:20 PM

r262- this is what comes out of my non filtered faucet in West Hollywood, CA- see all those black/gray/white particles? Would you drink my tap water?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267July 27, 2020 6:55 PM

R267 wow, that is disgusting...

by Anonymousreply 268July 27, 2020 7:09 PM

Bottled water is also great to have on hand for emergencies.

by Anonymousreply 269July 27, 2020 7:24 PM

Just went to my local Target and noticed there was no one at the door monitoring how many people were going in and out which also means they aren't mandating masks. I turned around and left. Parking lot was also packed which tells me they probably have way too many people in the store.

by Anonymousreply 270July 27, 2020 7:26 PM

R265 Nobody but nobody gives a fuck about your crusade, Mary. Go be the turd in someone else's punchbowl.

*punch made with tap water, of course.

by Anonymousreply 271July 27, 2020 7:42 PM

Boxed has Lysol spray. You can't find it through search or through the categories but it was in my Recently Viewed from the last time I ordered it. It's available, if you can find out how to find it and add it to your cart.

by Anonymousreply 272July 27, 2020 9:01 PM

dont see the lysol but they do have a thermometer for sale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 27, 2020 11:41 PM

I had my "come to Jesus" moment(s) about bottled water around twenty years ago. I lived in an ancient apartment building at the time. Didn't trust the pipes (in addition to the slight chlorinated smell/taste), so I bought bottled water for drinking/cooking. Usually Crystal Geyser because it was dirt cheap at Trader Joe's. Two things (which happened around the same time) opened my eyes:

1) A study by UCLA (or one of the local universities) found that L.A. tap water actually had LOWER levels of several carcinogens -- including hexavalent chromium -- than many popular brands of bottled water such as Evian, Fiji, Crystal Geyser (yikes), Arrowhead, etc.

2) I learned (while watching Oprah, of all things) that it takes approximately five liters of water to produce a single one-liter bottle of water.

And that was that. Headed off to Bed, Bath & Beyond the next day (with a 20% off coupon, of course) for a Brita-pitcher and a nice reusable water bottle for my car.

The only bottled water I buy now is the occasional 12 oz. case (when I'm having a BBQ, going to the Hollywood Bowl, or something like that) -- and when I need to rotate my Earthquake Water (1 gal jugs)

by Anonymousreply 274July 27, 2020 11:56 PM

Thanks everyone for reminding me to pick up a couple of cases of bottled water!

by Anonymousreply 275July 28, 2020 12:01 AM

[quote]because everyone being water quality experts directly coincides with the marketing push for bottled water.

We're experts at what we see coming out of our faucets, dimwit. Instead of chiding others for being on a "crusade" that you yourself are leading, ask yourself why you need to keep contradicting others when they tell you something you don't like.

by Anonymousreply 276July 28, 2020 12:20 AM

[quote]A study by UCLA (or one of the local universities) found that L.A. tap water actually had LOWER levels of several carcinogens

The water maybe, but not the pipes.

by Anonymousreply 277July 28, 2020 12:23 AM

I don't disagree, R 277. The pipes at my apt bldg were a bit rusty, too....which is why bought bottled water. (and I think I said that)

by Anonymousreply 278July 28, 2020 12:38 AM

R246 is so full of shit he can't even see.

In some parts of the country, water is supplied with aqueducts and canals. This water tends to pick up lots of organic matter on its journey. And even though it's sanitized and filtered, it is still very hard and has offensive odors that vary by the season. These odors are too expensive for the water dept. to remove completely. Right now the water tastes like algae and mold. I have a reverse osmosis unit that takes care of my drinking water needs.

A carbon filter (Brita, PuR) is a cheap way to remedy bad tasting water that is otherwise pure. You can also use one of these filters to filter cheap vodka and make it taste better. Be sure to save and reuse the filter, but not for water.

However, for emergency purposes, you want something that will kill germs and/or purify water. Look into camping equipment and supplies, including portable water filters and water purification tablets and solutions.

by Anonymousreply 279July 28, 2020 1:03 AM

I’m sorry, I don’t think I understand this thread. Are all of you domestics?

by Anonymousreply 280July 28, 2020 1:10 AM

In the spirit of brotherhood and love, and also in the spirit of getting y'all to shut the fuck up about this water shit, there is now a thread specifically for THAT discussion!

How very vivid!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281July 28, 2020 1:42 AM

R267 oh that's awful. I live right over in Hollywood and am going to take a look at mine, which is probably worse.

They just worked on our pipes last week, and the water was a little 'cloudy' but it's cleared up since.

Topic wise, I stopped by Pavilions late this afternoon (around 4p) and the line was getting longer outside again. Since I'm not here all the time, I'm not sure if it has been getting busier; the last couple times I've been able to just walk right in. I guess it depends on what time you go?

by Anonymousreply 282July 28, 2020 6:53 AM

r282, our landlord changed one of pipes in the kitchen, and that's what happened. I would have never noticed the particulate matter if it weren't for the filter.

Sometime I walk over to the Whole Foods on Fairfax. They usually have lines late morning and early evening. However TJs and Sprouts don't. I seldom shop at Pavillions.

by Anonymousreply 283July 28, 2020 2:39 PM

OT, sorry, but l lived in BH for 20 years. WORST water on the planet. Maybe worse than WEHO. I’m sure the Darfur Orphan grieves at this news but jeeze, Bev Hills? Nasty water? We’ve really become a third world country when rich people suffer like this. //snicker//

by Anonymousreply 284July 28, 2020 2:53 PM

It is a pity that LA is not forced to recycle its water and uses the Pacific as a toilet.

If it recycled and treated water, the returned water would be potable.

by Anonymousreply 285July 28, 2020 3:04 PM

More discussion about water here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286July 28, 2020 3:21 PM

My mask from the recommendation above came today. It's pretty hardcore. literally zero air is coming in or out the sides (the same thing cannot be said of the cloth ones even if they have a filter and nose wire).

I can breathe in it but it is disconcerting to realize how much air must in/out the sides of the cloth ones. I will definitely be able to cut the filti cloth to fit.

the mask does not move. it's a snug, sealed fit. I do not believe I could wear it in heat or humidity. I am glad I got it for winter though!

by Anonymousreply 287July 28, 2020 6:11 PM

Rescue Chick, please keep us posted regarding that mask. Sorry about designating you "guinea pig" - "guinea Chick" sounds better.

by Anonymousreply 288July 29, 2020 4:22 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289July 29, 2020 9:45 PM

r287 I am fine being called just about anything. and I will definitely keep you updated however, I hope not too soon because that means winter is here!

by Anonymousreply 290July 29, 2020 11:32 PM

r289

hazard pay for all front line and essential workers.

by Anonymousreply 291July 30, 2020 12:18 AM

10:06AM EST 7/30

Boxed has Lysol wipes, disinfectant spray, and liquid concentrates for real NOW. I got the notification an hour ago but just now saw it so hurry.

by Anonymousreply 292July 30, 2020 2:08 PM

This is a first... went to Walmart and they had five entire shelves devoted and stocked to Lysol spray. Limit of 1 per customer. It was on the shelves they normally reserve for wipes, which they were completely out of of.

by Anonymousreply 293July 30, 2020 4:35 PM

R293, lucky you!

by Anonymousreply 294July 30, 2020 4:37 PM

No one has Lysol foaming bathroom cleaner. Now why would everyone be out of that? I can't imagine hospitals are using it. I think Lysol is in some kind of deal with Trump and he's selling it at a price no American would pay to China or someplace.

by Anonymousreply 295July 30, 2020 5:48 PM

I've been able to find Lysol All Purpose cleaning spray relatively easy at WalMart in NE Ohio. The shelves selling that stuff are still largely empty, but the last few times I've been there, there were still a few of the large refill size bottles. Those are fine, because I just pour them in my existing spray bottles.

I'm wondering if they are instructing their employees to only put out a certain amount of those types of products at specified times throughout the day though.

by Anonymousreply 296July 30, 2020 6:27 PM

yes, I've seen Lysol All Purpose cleaning spray (yellow bottle) in Home depot in Manhattan. They go fast!

by Anonymousreply 297July 30, 2020 6:36 PM

Does it say, the yellow one, that it kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses?

by Anonymousreply 298July 30, 2020 6:42 PM

R298, yes they do.

by Anonymousreply 299July 30, 2020 10:25 PM

Gone on Boxed.

by Anonymousreply 300July 30, 2020 11:06 PM

thanks to this thread, I'm seeing ads for Boxed elsewhere on social media lol

by Anonymousreply 301July 30, 2020 11:09 PM

Do they have any lysol products R301? When I just looked it said out of stock.

by Anonymousreply 302July 30, 2020 11:24 PM

Boxed requires a membership right?

by Anonymousreply 303July 30, 2020 11:25 PM

Wrong R303. Free.

by Anonymousreply 304July 30, 2020 11:26 PM

i just read a lot of hand sanitizers that were available during the height of their shortage were recalled for being toxic.. i unfortunately bought some of the brands.

by Anonymousreply 305July 30, 2020 11:32 PM

R305, I found out I bought 1 bottle of the recalled brands from CVS. I'm gonna go return it tomorrow. I didn't use it fortunately...

by Anonymousreply 306July 30, 2020 11:34 PM

Boxed seems expensive ... every product I checked, from peanut butter to hand soap to tea, is cheaper elsewhere. Though I'd pay the $8.99 for a can of Lysol if I could get.

by Anonymousreply 307July 30, 2020 11:36 PM

Boxed looks terrible, I just checked it out. Not a fucking thing in stock that anyone would need, and what they do have is 20 percent higher than elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 308July 30, 2020 11:37 PM

Breathing aerosolized Lysol will kill your lungs faster than corona, so be glad you can't get it!

by Anonymousreply 309July 30, 2020 11:45 PM

Home Depot has a lot of hand sanitizer now if you need it. Some brand I never heard of.

by Anonymousreply 310July 30, 2020 11:50 PM

Today for the first time in months I couldn't find Bounty PT. I had to buy a cheapo brand.

by Anonymousreply 311July 30, 2020 11:52 PM

[quote]Breathing aerosolized Lysol will kill your lungs

Gives me a headache.

by Anonymousreply 312July 30, 2020 11:58 PM

[quote]Breathing aerosolized Lysol will kill your lungs faster than corona, so be glad you can't get it!

It's working for me!

by Anonymousreply 313July 30, 2020 11:58 PM

Windex makes a yellow surface cleaner that kills 99.9% of bacteria, too. Might search for that if you can't find Lysol. I don't know if windex always made it or if it was in response to Covid, but it's out there.

by Anonymousreply 314July 31, 2020 12:07 AM

One word of caution using water filter products like Pur, Brita, and Zero Water (which is the best of them imo) - The last time I moved, I packed up my Zero Water filter pitcher, but didn't get around to unpacking it and using it again for a couple of weeks. It never occurred to me that the filter itself can get moldy from being damp and not being used. I had horrible mold poisoning from it, and was in the bathroom like crazy and could barely stand up for more than a few minutes at a time because of the constant dizziness.

Honestly, it's just cheaper to buy gallons of distilled water vs. what it costs for those filters. Some grocery stores even have machines where you can refill your gallon containers with pre-filtered water, and it's even cheaper. Giant Eagle offers this.

by Anonymousreply 315July 31, 2020 12:10 AM

I'm slowly starting to see rubbing alcohol reappear at places like Dollar Tree, if you get there at the right time. They also sell mini spray bottles. I kind of prefer this over using the Purelle wipes that our grocery stores are offering when we walk in. People keep leaving those used nasty wipes in the carts and all over the parking lot.

The hand sanitizer gels are just alcohol mixed with glycerin and water. Much cheaper to just mist your hand and the carts with some rubbing alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 316July 31, 2020 12:21 AM

If anyone still happens to need masks. Office Depot / Office Max has them on sale. A 50-pack for $15.00 and free shipping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317July 31, 2020 1:06 AM

[quote]Windex makes a yellow surface cleaner that kills 99.9% of bacteria, too.

Fine, but COVID is a virus, not a bacterium.

by Anonymousreply 318July 31, 2020 1:08 AM

[quote]The last time I moved, I packed up my Zero Water filter pitcher, but didn't get around to unpacking it and using it again for a couple of weeks. It never occurred to me that the filter itself can get moldy from being damp and not being used.

That should have occurred to you. I threw out my Brita filter last time I moved.

by Anonymousreply 319July 31, 2020 1:41 AM

I work within a warehouse store. I have observed the paper products are recovering. However, constant shortages of Clorox or store brand wipes, gloves, alcohol, alcohol wipes. Oh, and pancake syrup. Last week at Walgreens, they had gloves. At Safeway this evening, they had these 99.9% wipes packs, 2 for 6$. I bought 2. Since I work in the warehouse store, I scored some Lysol spray 4 packs, and combination Clorox/store brand wipes. I sent some to my brother in Jacksonville, FL who could not get any for months. I paid a $28 hazardess chemical shipping. My daughter visited from Texas and I gave her some wipes and Lysol spray as well, as she could not get any. I still have spares. Folks, this 1st wave never ended, and the 2nd wave in fall/winter is still predicted. Get those masks now while you can. Get those sanitizers. I have been an essential worker, and fear daily. I am now considering the goggles. My job is acting like things are opening up, and increase sales pressure. I have to be near people, and touch them to perform my job, and while not many people come by, I have been doing this since the beginning. I am a voracious sanitizer of my work area, and personal space. I hope that's been enough.

by Anonymousreply 320July 31, 2020 1:44 AM

The Windex cleaner mentioned about is, in fact, on the list of CDC approved cleaners.

You have to leave it on for 10 minutes, but it does apparently work.

by Anonymousreply 321July 31, 2020 2:02 AM

Coronavirus outbreak linked to 4 Costco stores in California's Bay Area

From CNN's Sarah Moon

A coronavirus outbreak has been confirmed at four Costco locations in the Bay Area, according to a statement from Santa Clara County.

A total of 31 cases have been confirmed within the past two weeks at four Costco stores in Gilroy, Mountain View, San Jose, and Sunnyvale. The number of confirmed infections at each store ranged from four to 13.

The county began an investigation at these locations after an outbreak was reported at various Costco locations, according to the statement.

“Preliminary results of the investigation indicate that Costco is complying with social distancing and other protocols and that many of the cases have been caused by community transmission and most likely not internal transmission among employees,” the county said.

Clusters of the virus have not been confirmed at any other Costco locations in Santa Clara County, according to the statement.

The county is working closely with Costco to protect the safety of workers and customers at each location.

“This includes assisting Costco in identifying close contacts and advising on appropriate disinfection measures, ensuring that appropriate testing protocols are being followed, as well as measures to prevent workplace transmission,” the county said.

By the numbers: As of Thursday, Santa Clara County has a total of 9,731 confirmed cases and 190 deaths.

by Anonymousreply 322July 31, 2020 2:30 AM

strange about pancake syrup shortages

by Anonymousreply 323July 31, 2020 2:31 AM

R323, not really, if you consider people are stocking up on pantry items. A lot of people may be buying stuff like pancake and waffle mixes. I've been running into the same issue with Mexican and Asian condiments. Of course stuff like beans, rice, and tortilla's we're getting snatched up early on - but I can't even find stuff like soy sauce or taco sauce right now at most stores, aside from Wal-Mart.

by Anonymousreply 324July 31, 2020 2:42 AM

I think the syrup shortage might have more to do with the fact that poor old Aunt Jemima was just CANCELLED! No doubt the shelves were stripped bare of all those offending images of her sweet little motherly visage.

by Anonymousreply 325July 31, 2020 2:45 AM

So if all of the Costcos are complying with masks and social distancing what's going on? Are people getting it from touching something that is particular to those stores, like some product?

by Anonymousreply 326July 31, 2020 3:12 AM

r325 More likely it's being hoarded by collectors.

by Anonymousreply 327July 31, 2020 3:16 AM

Thanks for posting r322. We will not be doing our monthly trip there tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 328July 31, 2020 6:30 AM

[quote]I am a voracious sanitizer of my work area, and personal space. I hope that's been enough.

By funneling our anxieties into empty cleaning rituals, we lose focus on the more common modes of COVID-19 transmission and the most crucial policies to stop this plague. “My point is not to relax, but rather to focus on what matters and what works,” says Emanuel Goldman, a microbiology professor at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. “Masks, social distancing, and moving activities outdoors. That’s it. That’s how we protect ourselves. That’s how we beat this thing.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329July 31, 2020 12:42 PM

Well, next time Professor Goldman has surgery, I hope he requests an uncleaned operating room and tells the surgeon not to bother washing his hands, because masking should be enough.

by Anonymousreply 330July 31, 2020 5:38 PM

Let the people clean their shit. I guarantee that those people are also the ones wearing masks, sanitizing their hands constantly, and hissing at people who get within ten feet of them. It's the dumb fucks doing nothing that need to be taken to task...and then taken out back and shot. Natural selection is at work now.

by Anonymousreply 331July 31, 2020 5:42 PM

R326, somebody probably gave it to an employee and they don’t want to say that.

by Anonymousreply 332July 31, 2020 7:08 PM

This whole thing about, "you don't have to clean as much as you are, " etc. is laughable. First of all, why do you care how often other people are cleaning. Secondly, I'm frankly going to do whatever I need to do to ensure my own safety especially considering that we have been told countless times that x isn't necessary, or that Covid is transmissible via yz... only to be told weeks later, "oopsies, actually......."

by Anonymousreply 333July 31, 2020 7:12 PM

*isn't

by Anonymousreply 334July 31, 2020 7:13 PM

Jeez, people are defensive. The author of the piece at R329 doesn't say "don't clean." He says, specifically to businesses, don't focus on cleaning to the detriment of making customers wear masks, facilitating social distancing and providing proper air ventilation -- because those things make much more of a difference than sanitizing does. But you have to do both.

On an individual level, go ahead and clean whatever you want, however and whenever you want.

by Anonymousreply 335July 31, 2020 7:37 PM

R335 that isn't the only article. Other people have posted articles about how people are wasting time cleaning their homes and taking precautions like wiping down things before bringing them in, cleaning their phones, etc. I'm not defensive about it.. my statement is that it's ridiculous for those people to be telling people that there's no need to be that cautious. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 336July 31, 2020 7:49 PM

The problem I have with the article is that it's an "opinion" piece, not any kind of official study, plus he may be a microbiologist, but he is not an infectious disease specialist. It should be taken with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 337July 31, 2020 7:59 PM

You should definitely clean your phone.

by Anonymousreply 338July 31, 2020 8:06 PM

The husbear and I must look like big queens spraying down our purchased groceries in the parking lot before putting them in the trunk. We haven't seen others doing the same

by Anonymousreply 339July 31, 2020 10:07 PM

I've NEVER sprayed them down in the parking lot!

We take them inside and wash them (or spray it down with alcohol if it's in a box).

by Anonymousreply 340July 31, 2020 10:24 PM

I leave mine in the trunk for three days. I separate the bags into “things that are not perishable and can stay in the trunk,” and “food items that at least need to be brought in the air conditioned house.” Nonperishables stay in the trunk at least three days, or until right before I go out again, which can be a week.

For the food items that can stay at indoor room temperature, like canned goods, I have a plastic bin with a lid in the laundry room. They stay in there for at least three days, bag and all. Produce goes in the kitchen in one corner, on a wire rack on the counter. If it can sit a few days, it stays in the bag. After three days, I handle it. Anything that has to go in the fridge or freezer is what gets wiped down.

by Anonymousreply 341July 31, 2020 10:55 PM

We get deliveries and bring almost everything into the kitchen. It usually only goes into the sink from the bags, which we scrub after, and we wash almost everything.

If it's in boxes, I either take the contents out (without touching) and throw away the box, or if that's not possible (like eggs) we douse it with this alcohol spray we have.

We're being told now the chances of infection from any of the packaging is minimal, but I am NOT taking chances.

by Anonymousreply 342July 31, 2020 11:20 PM

I agree, R342. Months from now, it could turn out the advice about boxes being safe could be wrong too. But at this point, as long as it’s in the garage and not the house, I just leave the boxes alone for a few days and open them later, then throw them away on trash day. It’s very hot here.

by Anonymousreply 343July 31, 2020 11:25 PM

R342, exactly, which is what I was saying earlier. We've been told one too many times that something wasn't necessary or possible only to be the complete opposite a few weeks later. There's no such thing as being "too cautious," when it comes to something novel that nobody knows close to anything about.

by Anonymousreply 344July 31, 2020 11:41 PM

r339 r340 r341 r342 r343 r344 Were you all of the germophobe persuasion prior to covid?

by Anonymousreply 345August 1, 2020 12:01 AM

Not me. Perhaps mildly when I went out to eat - I brought hand sanitizer and had anti bacterial wipes with me, but I wasn't obsessive about using them, just sick of getting bronchitis and the flu every winter.

by Anonymousreply 346August 1, 2020 12:03 AM

no lysol but harmons on 6th ave is carrying microban, 1 per customer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347August 1, 2020 12:08 AM

Like r296, I live in Northeast Ohio, too. I had been able to find Clorox wipes at the Mentor Target in May and June. But not anymore. Same with the Mentor Giant Eagle. I figure it's easier to find paper towels, and all purpose cleaner, so better to go that route.

The toilet paper is in pretty good shape. Lots of off-brand hand sanitizer, mostly Suave. Have seen rubbing alcohol and face masks. I have not seen a can of Lysol ANYWHERE in months.

by Anonymousreply 348August 1, 2020 1:28 AM

What do you all use the wipes for?

We bought multiple containers of them back in March and are still on our first one.

We don't usually leave the house other than to walk the dog or go for a run.

by Anonymousreply 349August 1, 2020 1:32 AM

R345, not me (R343). Just the opposite. I’ve always believed covering everything with antibacterial soap is bad in the long run. I used cloth dish towels to wipe the counters, mostly with Lysol or soap. I never used Lysol wipes. I would use Lysol spray to clean toilets or the bathtub, or the sink once in a while, that’s about it. But I have been meticulous about getting flu shots because I was a caretaker for a disabled person for a long time. In the winter, I would be very careful to wash my hands when I came back from the store. But that’s about it really. I had hand sanitizer but never used it. Soap and water is about it. Now I’m going through hand sanitizer like it’s water. But only when I go out. Not at home. I take a shower and change my clothes when I come home. I only use sanitizer at home if I’m handling something from outside.

This has been a complete change from my normal habits. But I’ve had a lot of health issues this past year myself that I never had to deal with before. Before that, I was healthy and would bounce back from everything. Now my main concern is preventing heart or lung or other permanent damage from Covid.

by Anonymousreply 350August 1, 2020 1:49 AM

R349, bleach wipes are good for cleaning your phone. Always clean your phone after you go out. I also use them to wipe the counter after I put the groceries down on it. They also do a good job on stainless steel appliances.

by Anonymousreply 351August 1, 2020 1:52 AM

R351: Yep! I wipe down my phone, doorknobs, handles, etc with wipes when I come home. I wash everything else in the sink (including keys) with DAWN soap. Non-perishables are in quarantine for 3 days along with mail. Perishables are washed in sink and placed in fridge. Not perfect, but better than nothing. BTW - tonight, I went to the local liquor store for wine and saw a ton of people dining out at the local restaurants. No masks, dining, eating, drinking etc. I was envious (miss that!), but had to remind myself a pandemic is still going on and although numbers are low in Jersey now, IDK what it will be like in a few weeks if people are lax. So, at home with TV, DL and vino For the night🍷

by Anonymousreply 352August 1, 2020 3:58 AM

R352 you’re a wise person. Better enjoy the good life at home. Numbers over here in Europe are rising again because people are going out and pretend everything is normal again. We all want to go back to pre-Corona life but it doesn’t work that way. After the vaccine hopefully. Enjoy your evening, hope the wine is good!

by Anonymousreply 353August 1, 2020 4:21 AM

Two things we'll never find:

1. Jimmy Hoffa

2. Lysol spray

by Anonymousreply 354August 1, 2020 4:36 AM

R354 Lysol spray is back. My store probably had 20 cases of it the other day. That's a good sign that it'll be more readily available soon.

by Anonymousreply 355August 1, 2020 5:12 AM

I went to my supermarket yesterday after my dental appointment and they were out of Febreze! And one of the clerks said that they ran out on Thursday. Febreze?

by Anonymousreply 356August 1, 2020 9:45 AM

I got some Seventh Generation disinfectant spray and some motherfucker stole it.

I actually suspect the FedEx driver because I don't know how anyone else could have known what was in it, it was just a plain Vitacost box.

by Anonymousreply 357August 1, 2020 9:54 AM

I am using the wipes pretty exclusively in the car. Door handles, steering wheel, etc. And on my gloves beforevvinpeel them off. Then a second wipe for bare hands before I start driving again.

by Anonymousreply 358August 1, 2020 12:35 PM

I saw the ad for Boxed again and they showed a pic of Lysol but it's a travel sized one. 1.99 LOL. I didn't buy.

by Anonymousreply 359August 1, 2020 3:34 PM

selling out fast at harmon's!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360August 1, 2020 5:57 PM

For the same reason that you should not take antibiotics for a virus, you should not buy anti-bacterials unless they ALSO KILL VIRUSES.

by Anonymousreply 361August 1, 2020 6:00 PM

microban works against bacteria, not viruses. Lysol works against viruses including the c word!

by Anonymousreply 362August 1, 2020 6:09 PM

I'm Beverly Boyers, r345...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363August 1, 2020 7:01 PM

I'd cut a bitch for a can of Lysol spray. Haven't seen one in 4 months

by Anonymousreply 364August 1, 2020 7:18 PM

If I can get you a can of Lysol spray, r364, will you cut the bitch of my choosing?

by Anonymousreply 365August 1, 2020 7:28 PM

Peroxide is easy to find, try putting that in a spray bottle.

by Anonymousreply 366August 1, 2020 8:11 PM

[quote]Windex makes a yellow surface cleaner that kills 99.9% of bacteria, too. Might search for that if you can't find Lysol. I don't know if windex always made it or if it was in response to Covid, but it's out there.I

I have this but the bottle does not have any coronaviruses on the list of pathogens it's effective against, let alone COVID19. I'm curious as to how it made the list when the only viruses it claims to be effective against are a few flu ones.

by Anonymousreply 367August 2, 2020 2:30 AM

The Windex disinfectant cleaner is on the CDC/EPA list of effective cleaners. The labels do not always say coronavirus as many companies are selling stock made more than 6 months ago. For the Windex cleaner, it is effective on non porous surfaces and must remain on them for 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 368August 2, 2020 3:51 AM

4822-593 L-Lactic acid Windex Disinfectant Cleaner S.C. Johnson & Son Inc

by Anonymousreply 369August 2, 2020 3:51 AM

I'm curious: Has the rate of food poisoning gone down with people improving their hand-washing technique? Has wiping down surfaces and products with anti-bacterials decreased food poisoning?

by Anonymousreply 370August 2, 2020 8:08 AM

Because you all have been very helpful: We'd bought Amazon's Pronto (Presto?) house brand toilet paper early on in the pandemic and have avoided using it because we figured it would be sandpaper-like.

Opened it just now and it appears to be white labeled Quilted Northern or something pretty similar. Not the least bit sandpaper-like.

by Anonymousreply 371August 2, 2020 2:52 PM

R318, Fine, I know that. The yellow Windex 99.9% of germs including viruses.

By the way, I saw Sanjay Gupta, a doctor, on CNN, say that whatever surface cleaner you have is fine. It doesn't take much to kill or remove (or cripple coronavirus to the point it is not going to do ANYTHING) on a surface with any cleaner at all. Mr. Clean or other surface cleaners that don't have the 'kills 99.9 %...' label are suffient.

I know pretending things like ONLY Lysol and ONLY bread flour will do gives a few here a sense of purpose in life though, so don't let me cough on your parade.

by Anonymousreply 372August 2, 2020 3:44 PM

Sufficient*

by Anonymousreply 373August 2, 2020 3:45 PM

That would be correct, r373.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374August 2, 2020 6:13 PM

[quote]By the way, I saw Sanjay Gupta, a doctor, on CNN, say that whatever surface cleaner you have is fine. It doesn't take much to kill or remove (or cripple coronavirus to the point it is not going to do ANYTHING) on a surface with any cleaner at all.

What makes the coronavirus so easy to kill is that it has a lipid outer layer. Well, what dissolves fats? Soap.

by Anonymousreply 375August 2, 2020 6:18 PM

[quote]Well, what dissolves fats? Soap.

What if there was a way we could inject soap into the body, where it could dissolve fat? You're going to be looking into that, right?

by Anonymousreply 376August 2, 2020 6:20 PM

I need Lysol spray for the possible droplets people might leave in the air in my office (even if they are wearing a mask I am officially paranoid). Can peroxide sprayed into the air work the same way?

by Anonymousreply 377August 2, 2020 6:47 PM

R377, for that particular purpose you might be better off with a small fan on your desk directing the air away from you. The amount of Lysol required to "sterilize" the air would be unhealthy. Also, if you are lucky enough to have a window in your office, open it.

by Anonymousreply 378August 2, 2020 7:29 PM

thank you R378! very helpful and much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 379August 2, 2020 8:03 PM

Yeah, even though it's hot I've been opening the crappy little window in my office. Added bonus, it blows on the thermostat and keeps the AC running constantly! Just hoping the AC air isn't filled with Covid since it's most likely totally airborne. I'll just keep my mask on.

by Anonymousreply 380August 2, 2020 9:14 PM

^^ and your goggles.

by Anonymousreply 381August 2, 2020 9:24 PM

I haven't read the whole thread but anyone notice that liquid hand soap is taking the place of toilet paper, in that, there's hardly any? If there is, they've jacked up the price. I used to buy refill bottle of hand soap (56 oz) for $3.80, now the price is twice that much and it's not usually on the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 382August 2, 2020 9:30 PM

Get some cheap Suave body wash and put it in your pump dispenser.

by Anonymousreply 383August 2, 2020 9:35 PM

It's about the same price, R383.

by Anonymousreply 384August 2, 2020 9:39 PM

^^ excellent

by Anonymousreply 385August 2, 2020 9:40 PM

R382 I noticed hand soap disappear entirely at the very start, along with sanitizer and toilet paper. It came back fairly quick though and I haven't seen a shortage of it since May.

by Anonymousreply 386August 2, 2020 9:41 PM

Hand Soap is plentiful on Walmart and for the same price it was prior to the pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387August 2, 2020 9:42 PM

Target:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388August 2, 2020 9:45 PM

The small hand soap dispensers are around but I save money by buying the big refill bottles.

Yup, R387, WalMart is the only place where the price hasn't gone up but you have to go to the store to buy that brand, they are also limiting the amount you buy. I bought SoftSoap refills-- 2 50 0z. bottles--- for $7.50 and it was delivered 2 days later. Not bad. The refills are going as high as $10 elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 389August 2, 2020 9:46 PM

R389 no you don't have to go to the store to buy it, the link I included allows you to have it shipped.

Target also has hand soap available and the price hasn't gone up. So does Costco (but for whatever reason I can't link it here).

by Anonymousreply 390August 2, 2020 9:47 PM

100 oz for $8.00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391August 2, 2020 9:53 PM

Thanks, R388 and R390, but that's not what it says on the web-site where I live, in Southern California. They're out of the generic brand of liquid hand soap in Target and in Wal-Mart. I was only able to order Soft Soap on line. Maybe people in my area are piling up on liquid hand soap, I noticed this since the Covid Surge in California.

Maybe I'll just use good old bar soap. Cheaper and better for the environment.

by Anonymousreply 392August 2, 2020 9:53 PM

If you're really frugal, you can get White Rain shampoo and body wash at Dollar Tree for a buck. There's absolutely no reason you can't wash your hands (or body) with shampoo. Whenever I have a shampoo I didn't care for, I use it up that way.

by Anonymousreply 393August 2, 2020 9:54 PM

R392 I'm in So CA too and showing it available for shipping so I don't know why that's different for you.

by Anonymousreply 394August 2, 2020 9:58 PM

Just a reminder since our compatriots to the South and West weren't having to bother with these threads a couple of months ago when we in the Northeast and Midwest couldn't find anything...it's best to mention your location because everything is different all across the country. You all are where we were in May and June. You should check out the earlier threads for some helpful hints maybe now that it's your turn. Oh, and don't worry, seems like we'll be joining you in the sinking boat again soon due to the fucking mouthbreathing Trumptard fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 395August 2, 2020 9:59 PM

R395 I've been here from the start of the threads and in CA... we've had shortages the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 396August 2, 2020 10:09 PM

I found a really lovely liter of soap at Whole Foods called A La Maison - 10 bucks for Rosemary Mint.

I'm also a fan of Mrs. Meyers Lavender.

by Anonymousreply 397August 2, 2020 10:45 PM

Amazon had a special the other day (I saw it on Brad's Deals) -- six bottles of SoftSoap for $5, shipped. They're usually around $1/bottle, so that's a little cheaper than usual. I just checked and it's now $5.88, but that's still not bad, if you have Prime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398August 3, 2020 12:45 AM

Lysolina Porn.

Please vote on whether I should post the WSJ article "Should You Clean Your Phone to Combat Coronavirus? Definitely... Maybe" (some hate the WSJ, so I thought I'd ask).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399August 3, 2020 6:49 PM

I clean it and my debit card too after shopping

by Anonymousreply 400August 3, 2020 6:52 PM

Finding Lysol is like winning the lottery.

You would think that another company would have stepped in to make an AIR sanitizer. But nothing.

We got barrels of hand sanitizer but no air sanitizer.

by Anonymousreply 401August 3, 2020 6:55 PM

Is that what Lysol is, an "air sanitizer"?

by Anonymousreply 402August 3, 2020 6:57 PM

A diffuser with tea tree oil works too

by Anonymousreply 403August 3, 2020 7:00 PM

Lysol Disinfectant Spray and Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist were the first disinfectant products to receive EPA approval for their proven effectiveness in killing the new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) on surfaces in lab testing. But there are other cleaners out there that are presumably just as good of a match against the virus that have yet to undergo lab testing. In fact, the EPA has a list of more than 420 products that meet its criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2, and the agency expects more of them will receive its official approval in the near future, once lab testing results are submitted and reviewed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404August 4, 2020 12:01 AM

Since Lysol is so effective in killing it maybe people should spray it inside themselves like a douche and we can stop the pandemic?

by Anonymousreply 405August 4, 2020 2:35 AM

[Quote]But there are other cleaners out there that are presumably just as good of a match against the virus

Presumably? No fank you.

by Anonymousreply 406August 4, 2020 2:50 AM

[quote]Since Lysol is so effective in killing it maybe people should spray it inside themselves like a douche and we can stop the pandemic?

Weren't Lysol douches a kind of homespun abortion back in the day?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407August 4, 2020 3:07 AM

Fuuuuuuck.

Clorox wipes will not be back on the shelves at pre-Covid levels until next year:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408August 4, 2020 2:35 PM

Damn. I guess I count myself lucky. I managed to score some clorox wipes a few weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 409August 4, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote]You would think that another company would have stepped in to make an AIR sanitizer. But nothing. We got barrels of hand sanitizer but no air sanitizer.

Anything commercially made that's strong enough to disinfect the air (sanitizing requires lack of oxygen) is probably going to be dangerous to our lungs.

[quote]A diffuser with tea tree oil works too

Tea tree is most effective against fungus and certain bacteria. To really add oomph to your diffuser, add a rosemary lime infusion to nail viruses and other types of bacteria. I don't recommend adding them the same time as you use tea tree, as the smell is less than pleasing and tea tree needs to be used alone for its top notes to be detected by our noses.

by Anonymousreply 410August 4, 2020 5:39 PM

The only way to clean air without poisoning it is UV light, HEPA filters and proper ventilation.

by Anonymousreply 411August 4, 2020 5:59 PM

I thought UV light is harmful to the eyes? I see some places selling some UV wands etc.

by Anonymousreply 412August 4, 2020 6:01 PM

R411 I have an air purifier with both UV and HEPA filter. Bought it for my allergies and it’s on for several hours a day. Works great and I didn’t know it was anti virus too. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 413August 4, 2020 6:03 PM

R412 when you have a purifier it’s just a bit of blue light, mine just has a small line of blue light which isn’t that bright

by Anonymousreply 414August 4, 2020 6:07 PM

[quote]I thought UV light is harmful to the eyes?

Right, you don't run it in front of you 24/7 like a lamp and it's really not something for casual use. For example, they use it in dental practices in between patients to take care of any aerosols that may be remaining in the air, and some hospitals have UV rooms set up to sterilize masks.

by Anonymousreply 415August 4, 2020 6:11 PM

air purifers also sold out in the us!

by Anonymousreply 416August 5, 2020 12:04 AM

The F.D.A.’s list of hand sanitizers to be avoided has grown to include over 100 products. F.D.A. Adds More Hand Sanitizers to List of Products to Avoid The agency has moved to keep several of the products, which it found to have inadequate concentrations of alcohol, from entering the United States.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417August 5, 2020 12:33 AM

Was at Walmart yesterday. a 3-qt bottle of bleach was almost $5, almost double what it cost a few months ago. Somehow though, Mexican brand Cloralen manages to keep the price near $2.50 for a gallon (4 qt).

by Anonymousreply 418August 5, 2020 3:55 AM

After all of this is done, I hope they go after all the corporations that jacked up prices and slashed the sizes of their products in the middle of a pandemic in order to hide their malfeasance and line their fucking pockets.

by Anonymousreply 419August 5, 2020 7:29 AM

I ordered from Amazon Fresh at 5 am and got

2 large Lysol sprays

a three pack of Clorox wipes

and

a single canister of Lysol wipes

BITCH I HIT THE LOTTERY

by Anonymousreply 420August 5, 2020 8:21 PM

R420 How...fresh!

by Anonymousreply 421August 5, 2020 10:02 PM

My cooch will be as fresh as a daisy!

LOL

by Anonymousreply 422August 5, 2020 10:03 PM

I got a 3-pack of Soapbox body wash from Boxed and coincidentally ithe fragrance smells like toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 423August 5, 2020 10:39 PM

Used, R423?

by Anonymousreply 424August 5, 2020 11:44 PM

I am so happy for you R420. I don't use any of those products so don't feel like I missed anything tho.

by Anonymousreply 425August 6, 2020 1:26 AM

Where are all the paper towels?

by Anonymousreply 426August 8, 2020 5:08 PM

Lots here so far.

by Anonymousreply 427August 8, 2020 7:00 PM

Two small observations from a trip to Target:

One, the prices were mysteriously missing from a lot of the Target shelves. Of course this can happen occasionally, but it was happening quite a bit this time. Considering that Target has also shut down their price scanner kiosks since the pandemic started, I just thought this was interesting. Anyone else seen this?

Two, Spic and Span seems to be creeping its way back onto the shelves, years after being banished to dollar store land. Target was selling these fat orange bottles of Spic and Span antibacterial spray cleaner, which appeared to be the same stuff you can get in the clear bottles for a buck at Dollar Tree. Have no idea how much Target was charging, since the price wasn't on the shelf, but I doubt it was a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 428August 8, 2020 7:26 PM

The past week I had to make runs to several stores. What I've concluded is that the majority of people have started to give no shits (if they ever did) and we're never going to get out of this.

Target: No one watching the door and no longer counting how many people enter. At one point they were sanitizing carts but they no longer are (at least this store wasn't). Lots of people entering the store with their masks below their noses. I didn't go in.

Ralph's: Also no longer monitoring how many people enter the store. Still sanitizing carts. Seemed stocked with most things, minus ice cream. Customers around me seemed to not understand what social distancing means. Everyone was in everyone's space.

Walmart: Still monitoring the number of people going in and out. Store however was a mess and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for days. Stocked in most things but poultry and ice cream. They had a good stock of lysol and wipes, but they went quickly.

Sam's Club: Still monitoring the number of people going in and out. The customers were probably the worst at this store. Tons of people were entering and immediately dropping their masks to under their chin. Several others had their masks below their noses. I ran into one person who was chewing gum and blowing bubbles and each time he blew a bubble, he would lower his mask to do so. I will never understand WTF is wrong with people. They were out of paper goods like plates and plastic utensils (I don't know if the other stores were as I didn't check). They had plenty of TP. Soda was low in stock and for the first time, I saw limits placed on the number you could buy. No poultry and they had a very limited selection of fresh veggies. They were also out of ice cream / frozen desserts.

Is everyone binge eating ice cream? Just curious why all the stores were out it.

by Anonymousreply 429August 8, 2020 7:38 PM

Two other stores I forgot to mention:

Costco: No longer counting the number of people going in. Removed all directional markings. People were not social distancing and tons of families casually strolling with their 5 children, which of course none of the children around had masks on. Stocked in most things, again, no poultry.

I did notice here that the 3-pack of bleach they sold is no longer the same size. Each container is about half the size that it used to be and they are charging a $1 more than they did the larger pack. At Sam's Club I noticed that the bleach had also changed, also a smaller size but it was bleach concentrate. The Costco bleach was regular bleach.

I made another trip to the Chinese grocery store and I have to say, it impressed me again. They were still counting the number of people entering, sanitizing each cart before they handed it to you, they had several people inside cleaning while customers shopped, and they would not let you go up to the register until the person before you had left and they had wiped down the conveyer belt. Also, the employees not only wore masks, they had on goggles, face shields, hair nets and then a plastic cap on top of their hair nets. Perhaps overkill, but I appreciate the effort.

by Anonymousreply 430August 8, 2020 7:43 PM

[quote]Where are all the paper towels?

If you have a hurricane, Trump will throw some at you.

by Anonymousreply 431August 8, 2020 8:09 PM

[quote]Spic and Span seems to be creeping its way back onto the shelves

Shh, before the SJW's hear you. If Aunt Jemima and Trader Jose are a problem, there's no way that 'spic' won't be!

by Anonymousreply 432August 8, 2020 8:18 PM

I notice that only Target is cleaning the carts and baskets. I've seen them actually do this. They aren't even bothering in whole foods, I've seen the employees collect the carts and then push them to the entrance (without cleaning).

There isn't a huge line to get in at whole foods anymore.

There are lots of paper towels in all the stores I've been in nyc -home depot, target, whole foods, walgreens and cvs

by Anonymousreply 433August 8, 2020 8:30 PM

R433, not at the Target I went to. It's back to business as usual.

by Anonymousreply 434August 8, 2020 8:31 PM

[quote]They aren't even bothering in whole foods

They clean the living fuck out of the carts at the Pittsburgh WFM. The Market District down the street is even better...those people are obsessed with their spraying. And the store is much larger than WFM, so the social distancing doesn't seem as forced, nor are there lines, usually. The only problem I'm having with Market District is that they never have Ben & Jerry's Cannoli ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 435August 8, 2020 8:37 PM

R426 paper towels are plentiful in milford /farmington costco (no limits), aldi (west haven, new haven, middletown have had papertowel too.

by Anonymousreply 436August 8, 2020 8:40 PM

[quote]Spic and Span seems to be creeping its way back onto the shelves

I blame Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 437August 8, 2020 8:42 PM

In LA, it depends on which Target I go to if they are actively cleaning carts/counting people. One near Jefferson always has a line of customers outside, while other locations I just walk right in. Maybe it's the timing?

The La Brea/SM Blvd location is interesting; if you enter from the courtyard, there is a long line going up the stairs at times.

However, if you park underneath this shopping center and take the elevator (which has doors opening right into the store), there is no line.

by Anonymousreply 438August 8, 2020 8:50 PM

Lysol Spray is trickling back in here and there but only until the box is gone. I haven’t seen anything larger than a single box at a time. And it goes in minutes.

If anyone finds original Lysol scent then you have found the holy grail. It was difficult to find beofre the pandemic, now it’s like a unicorn.

by Anonymousreply 439August 8, 2020 9:05 PM

NY and NJ stores are starting to get lax due to low CV numbers...

by Anonymousreply 440August 8, 2020 9:09 PM

I wish CA had that excuse, R440!

by Anonymousreply 441August 8, 2020 9:17 PM

SoCa here. My most common stores are Ralphs, Vons, and Target. None of them have employees at the entrance monitoring to make sure people are wearing masks before entering. I use hand carts (not the push carts) and they don't seem all that clean anymore. They are not in the filthy near-health-hazard condition they were before March, but they are definitely not being cleaned after each use. Nobody wipes down the credit/debit card terminals anymore, or the screens or shelves at the self-checkout. There are no lines outside to get in or monitoring of how many people are in the stores. All this is very ironic....while cases are at or near a record high point, all the safety protocols are nearly gone. Almost everyone is wearing masks though. The only person I've seen in a store recently without a mask was one of those stuck up fake blond bitches with a fake tan and about 20 pounds of makeup on her face. She told another shopper she was just running in real quick to pick up a few things. And she was parked in the red zone right outside the store with the car running. Stupid cunt.

by Anonymousreply 442August 8, 2020 10:43 PM

Oh, and no paper towels anywhere the last couple of weeks, but TP is overflowing the shelves, as is no-name hand sanitizer of questionable origin.

R442

by Anonymousreply 443August 8, 2020 10:45 PM

West Hollywood here. Just went on a 6 mile walk- so many people eating out and shopping on Melrose, Beverly, La Brea and 3rd St. I would say maybe 70% people wearing masks.

There were lines for both TJ's La Brea/3rd and Fairfax/3rd. I had to stop at the Beverly Center Target to use the bathroom- no entrance monitoring, no spacing. During the whole pandemic, the WeHo TJs and Sprouts would have monitoring, employees offering to spray your hands with sanitizer, and spacing.

by Anonymousreply 444August 9, 2020 12:22 AM

I've noticed a shortage of reed diffusers and candles. I guess people are burning them more to mask the shit of their terrible dumps at home.

by Anonymousreply 445August 9, 2020 12:27 AM

I'm still on my quest for Bounty.

by Anonymousreply 446August 9, 2020 12:31 AM

I never knew so many people used paper towels.

by Anonymousreply 447August 9, 2020 12:33 AM

There is plenty of Bounty in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 448August 9, 2020 12:35 AM

I really don't care if they clean carts, etc. I'm not touching my face and I'm disinfecting the shit out of my hands all the time. Surface transmission isn't the problem. If they have to choose, I'd rather these stores spend their resources on keeping people masked and distanced. That they aren't doing those things is unconscionable.

by Anonymousreply 449August 9, 2020 12:40 AM

Sure, R449, but the fact that they're not cleaning the carts is a the start of them stopping all the other measures. At my stores the person cleaning the cart is the same one who counts customers and makes sure they're wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 450August 9, 2020 1:00 AM

[quote][R426] paper towels are plentiful in milford /farmington costco (no limits), aldi (west haven, new haven, middletown have had papertowel too.

Bless you! Road trip tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 451August 9, 2020 1:07 AM

Based on what we know now I could give a fuck if carts are cleaned. I want to know that there's good ventilation

by Anonymousreply 452August 9, 2020 4:25 AM

Well, I'll make that easy for you, R452... there isn't.

by Anonymousreply 453August 9, 2020 4:26 AM

R453 and that's why I haven't been in a grocery store for months.

by Anonymousreply 454August 9, 2020 4:27 AM

Depending on where you live, Bounty is available at Walmart for in-store pickup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455August 9, 2020 8:33 AM

at trader joes, I watched a customer confront the employee directing traffic at the entrance, he didn't want to be told what to do.

None of us want to be told what to do.

But there is no cure or effective treatment for covid, the only tools we own to contain the spread of this infection is social distancing and wearing a face covering.

These minimum wage earners with no education and no skills have held our society together all during this crisis. If they hadn't gone to work to stock the shelves, ring up our purchases and yes, direct traffic at the entrance of the store we would be in total chaos.

HAZARD PAY FOR FRONT LINE WORKERS.

by Anonymousreply 456August 9, 2020 2:39 PM

I bought the mask at R179 and tried it.

The mask has a tiny teardrop shaped filter, which covers the front only. The sides are solid and no air escapes through them. You only breathe through the front.

The mask itself fits very tightly to the face. It’s tighter than an N95. You have to fiddle with it a little bit to get the best fit, but you can breathe easily once it’s on. Adjust it in the mirror. I wear glasses and it doesn’t interfere with them or fog up if it’s properly adjusted. Make sure it’s on straight.

The filter fits not inside the mask itself, but in a separate plastic piece that fits inside the mask and snaps in. Then the filter is the next layer, then there’s a cover over the back of the filter. That’s what’s closest to your face. The front and back pieces have holes in them.

The mask washes in the dishwasher, or you can dip it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes if you prefer. I washed mine in the dishwasher, with the smaller pieces in the utensil compartments. The big mask went in the top rack. They tell you to wash it before using the first time.

Once it’s on, it looks tight on your face, but it’s actually fairly comfortable. But your speaking is muffled. You definitely sound like you’re talking through a barrier.

If you’re going to make your own filter, the filter is held securely between the front and back pieces. It won’t move. Just cut it to the right shape. The mask comes with 5 filters included, so you can use one as a template.

I signed up for their newsletter and got a notice that they would be making a rainbow one soon. No date though. If you sign up for the email notifications, they will notify you first.

In short, I would recommend it but it really seals to your face and is tightly attached. Which is what you want, but may bother some people I guess. And the voice muffling may be an issue at work if you’re on the phone or talk to people a lot. You can be heard, but you sound like you’re talking through a thin pillow.

by Anonymousreply 457August 9, 2020 9:17 PM

Here’s the email I got from Castlegrade:

“We are so excited to announce that rainbow G-Series masks are coming soon! To ensure first dibs, sign up for SMS updates by visiting our website and follow the directions to unlock 5% off.

“New longer, softer straps will be available in three weeks! If you feel like you need a little extra room in the strap, please reach out to support@castlegrade.com if you haven't already and we will put you in the queue.“

If you have a large head you should probably get the larger straps. I got the M/L size and I have a relatively small head. It suited me fine, but if I had a large head, I would probably want larger straps.

There’s a picture of the rainbow mask but I can’t link it. It’s white in front, the sides and straps are rainbow camo, sort of. It’s blue, purple, pink and greenish yellow.

This is a good representation of how it fits. Your cheeks look puffy. I’d put the glasses on top of the mask’s nose bridge though. Fitting it carefully to your face matters. If you fit it correctly, no air goes up and no air goes to the sides. It all goes to the front only.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458August 9, 2020 9:31 PM

Thanks for your review!

by Anonymousreply 459August 9, 2020 9:38 PM

Thanks R459!

Another thing I thought I’d mention is, notice the model at R458 is wearing small glasses. If you wear glasses and are thinking of getting an extra pair, I highly recommend getting a pair of glasses with the smallest frames you can. As time goes on, we are all going to end up wearing goggles or face shields, and masks and goggles fit better with smaller glasses. Zenni makes cheap glasses, and it would be worth it to have a smaller pair to fit under all this gear.

by Anonymousreply 460August 9, 2020 9:48 PM

[quote]As time goes on, we are all going to end up wearing goggles or face shields,

You sound a bit crazy. Nowhere in the world is doing this. No studies are saying this. No scientists are advocating this. If you're going to quote Fauci at me concerning this, read what he said again. Just wear your mask and stay six feet away from people. You're going to need a lot of counseling whenever this ends.

by Anonymousreply 461August 10, 2020 12:41 AM

For some reason, it's impossible to find rubbing alcohol with anything higher than 50%.

by Anonymousreply 462August 10, 2020 1:01 AM

Sometimes I wonder if some of you are even looking!

70% alcohol has been in stock locally near me in Southern CA.

It's also available here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463August 10, 2020 1:13 AM

tell me how to use rubbing alcohol again...put some in spray bottle and spray it on our hands when we're our and about? do we add water to it?

by Anonymousreply 464August 10, 2020 1:27 AM

R464 you can put it in a spray bottle and spray your hands or keys, phone, whatever you might touch. No need to add water and dilute it.

by Anonymousreply 465August 10, 2020 1:29 AM

When no one else had sanitizer this company did. It is very strong and while safe to use on hands, I now use the gel we've since found. However, I still have a few bottles of this and do what R465 suggests: spray down keys, any object I want to disinfect and some grocery items that can't be "washed" - eg I spray all over the egg carton and leave it on for 5 minutes.

They show a dispenser pump here but it works to spray it too - they sent me spray bottles (this company does insect repellant for its main business)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466August 10, 2020 1:50 AM

[quote]tell me how to use rubbing alcohol again

On the rocks with a twist of lime.

by Anonymousreply 467August 10, 2020 2:03 AM

A bottle of Heleneque woulda killed that fuckin' virus a long time ago, like it did my ovaries!

by Anonymousreply 468August 10, 2020 2:05 AM

I wanted to try that Jenny Jones ribs recipe that's being discussed here ... but of course now I can't get ribs. SO frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 469August 10, 2020 3:41 AM

Is the grocery thread series now finally dead? No posts in 21 hours. Perhaps there are not enough things left to complain about that haven't been covered already in 9 threads. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 470August 11, 2020 1:09 AM

Once the next wave hits, it will spring back in full bloom

by Anonymousreply 471August 11, 2020 1:15 AM

I went to target earlier in the evening and they had lysol all purpose cleaner and I managed to get the last one. it's in yellow spray bottle and it says it kills 99% germs etc.

it's been so fucking hot in nyc. but thankfully, most people are wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 472August 11, 2020 1:46 AM

Are you going to let it sleep in your bed with you, r472?

by Anonymousreply 473August 11, 2020 1:47 AM

R473, if it were me, I’d not only let it sleep in bed with me, I’d chain it to the bedpost.

by Anonymousreply 474August 11, 2020 2:47 AM

If anyone is desperate for Hand Sanitizer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475August 11, 2020 3:50 AM

Pretty good deal on antibacterial bar soap if anyone needs it. 8 pk for $3.50

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476August 11, 2020 3:55 AM

Our Walmart has plenty of hand sanitizer. Even better though, is they are now selling 33.8 oz bottles of their Equate brand for only like $5.75 each. I've been using them to refill my little 2 oz bottles that I keep in my pocket when shopping.

by Anonymousreply 477August 11, 2020 10:34 AM

Most of the stores near me have cart cleaning station so you can wipe down your cart as you walk in. That or they are offering Purell at the entrances.

by Anonymousreply 478August 11, 2020 10:35 AM

My local Target is pretty big and not very busy during the week. I don't think there's a need to count customers. Smaller stores and WalMart that are constantly busy seem to be keeping a headcount.

My local stores are all well stocked. I was even able to score 20 cans of Cosmo's favorite cat food (Fancy Feast Savory Centers Chicken Pate)! A week ago, both Chewy and Amazon were out of stock. No local pet food stores had any either.

Very happy there were no shortages of chicken, pork, or anything else when I went shopping on Sunday. I was without power from Tues to Sat night due to Isaisas. Everything in my refrigerator and freezer had to be thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 479August 11, 2020 3:42 PM

Just got back from Sam's and got there just in time as right when I walked down the cleaning aisle an employee was putting out a pallet of gigantic 210 Oz Bottles of Lysol Advanced MultiPurpose concentrate. They didn't have any limits and I was tempted to take a few but I only grabbed one bottle.

by Anonymousreply 480August 11, 2020 3:49 PM

While out on my shopping trip today I stopped off at Sam's and noticed that they seemed to have change the signage out front about masks. It now says Masks are required and must be worn above your mouth and nose UNLESS you have a medical condition.

I don't remember it saying the part about medical conditions before so it seems like they're giving people a way out.

by Anonymousreply 481August 11, 2020 11:06 PM

The bullies win again,

by Anonymousreply 482August 12, 2020 1:41 AM

"Medical conditions" is the new "emotional support animal."

by Anonymousreply 483August 12, 2020 1:50 AM

What medical condition would keep you from putting a mask over your nose and mouth?

by Anonymousreply 484August 12, 2020 1:51 AM

That was supposed to say I stopped of at Walmart. Walmart was the one that had the sign saying medical reasons would be accepted as a reason not to wear a mask.

by Anonymousreply 485August 12, 2020 1:52 AM

R484 exactly. There is no condition that makes it so that you cannot wear a mask and if you can't, you can absolutely wear a face shield.

If for some highly improbable reason you cannot... you can do curbside. ADA only requires you make reasonable accommodations for the customer to still be served.

by Anonymousreply 486August 12, 2020 1:54 AM

Dr. Jen Ashton (chief medical correspondent for ABC) was asked that question a while back about whether there are legitimate medical conditions that would make it impossible to wear a mask. She said that any conditions where this would be a real concern would make it such that the person could not be standing up walking around. If you're well enough to be in public, you don't have any medical condition that makes it impossible to mask up, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 487August 12, 2020 6:26 AM

When I'm having an asthma flare up, masking can be a bit uncomfortable for anything more than short periods at a time. That being said, the last fucking thing I would want to be doing is going around unmasked because that very same condition also makes me a higher risk individual. Anyone with COPD or some other respiratory issue would feel the same way. So, no, I don't buy it either.

by Anonymousreply 488August 12, 2020 6:46 AM

asthma and COPD and related illnesses are a legitimate reason. If your saturation drops under 90 that’s very unhealthy. Without oxygen one can’t live.

by Anonymousreply 489August 12, 2020 8:11 AM

Wearing a mask isn't going to do that. Nice try though.

by Anonymousreply 490August 12, 2020 8:26 AM

My 89 year old father has COPD and can wear a mask for hours, no problem. Fuck these people trying to wiggle out of the rules. I would switch from sam’s to costco where masks are required for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 491August 12, 2020 10:46 AM

R491 and R490 we don’t need to wear masks over here so I’m not wiggling out of anything. My lung specialist said it decreases the level of oxygen significantly when wearing a decent mask for more than an hour. Like during travel on a plane. He advised to get an oxygenmeter to keep track.

Talking bout groceries we’re running out of mineral water every now and then, toiletpapier sometimes too. I refuse to hoard it though. I also feel the latter is selfish towards others.

by Anonymousreply 492August 12, 2020 11:54 AM

[quote]What medical condition would keep you from putting a mask over your nose and mouth?

Being a mouthbreather, like so many Trumpsters.

by Anonymousreply 493August 12, 2020 12:51 PM

R492 you need to get a new Doctor because there have been countless videos of Doctors proving that there is no significant loss of oxygen while wearing a mask. I've watched multiple videos of people with breathing issues as well as Doctors demonstrate wearing multiple layers of masks while wearing oximeters showed no drop in oxygen levels even while wearing those 4 masks.

by Anonymousreply 494August 12, 2020 4:25 PM

R494 it’s an academic well renowned hospital but maybe you are right and I should ask for a second opinion somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 495August 12, 2020 4:40 PM

R494 it’s an academic well renowned hospital but maybe you are right and I should ask for a second opinion somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 496August 12, 2020 4:40 PM

I can choose from three supermarkets in my area to shop and in the last couple of weeks they are low on a lot of stuff. There was no problem since May, why now?

by Anonymousreply 497August 12, 2020 5:06 PM

Consumer price inflation beats expectations

From CNN’s Anneken Tappe

Consumer price inflation staged a return in July and beat economists' expectations. Even though this means prices for consumers rose on the whole, it is a good sign because it comes after the largely deflationary shock of the pandemic.

Prices increased by 0.6% on a seasonally-adjusted basis in July, the same amount as in June, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Wednesday. Together, the summer month increase puts a solid end to three months of price declines during the height of the pandemic lockdown. Over the past twelve months, prices increased by 1%, not adjusted for seasonal effects.

Gas and energy prices, which soared in June, continued to increase. Gasoline prices alone contributed about a quarter of the monthly price rise last month.

Meanwhile, food prices actually declined by 0.4%, and the 'food at home' index fell 1.1%. The 'food away from home' index rose 0.5%, showing that Americans are eating out more again.

Core inflation, which strips out more volatile food and energy items, rose 0.6% in July, the largest increase since January 1991, according to the BLS.

Moderate inflation is important for a functional growing economy. Some market participants are worried that the large sums of stimulus money from Washington, particularly the Federal Reserve, could lead to too much inflation, but the Fed has repeatedly said that it's not concerned about this right now.

by Anonymousreply 498August 12, 2020 5:11 PM

the only one I have seen that seemed to have a legitimate excuse for not wearing a mask was a woman who was raped and they tied something over her her mouth and nose so she couldn't scream. Trying to wear a mask gives her PTSD

by Anonymousreply 499August 12, 2020 6:08 PM

Yes, R496 you should, because that Doctor is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 500August 12, 2020 6:12 PM

CNN: A doctor in England wanted to prove that face masks won't impair your oxygen levels. So he ran for 22 miles while wearing one.

Throughout his running journey, Tom Lawton used a pulse oximeter to monitor his oxygen levels. The medical device measures the saturation of oxygen in a person's red blood cells and typically clips to your finger.

"The mask didn't come off at all (no food or drink) -- and oxygen levels were stubbornly 98% every time I checked," he tweeted last month.

by Anonymousreply 501August 12, 2020 6:15 PM

Even if there is a reason for a person not to wear a face mask they can still wear a face shield.

There's no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 502August 12, 2020 6:18 PM

Ran into my idiot neighbor at a local Circle K and he wasn't wearing a face mask in the store.

by Anonymousreply 503August 12, 2020 8:05 PM

I posted this in another thread. I'm in L.A. I got a call this morning that I had a CVS prescription ready so I called to ask that they mail it, like I always do. She said it would take two weeks for me to get it.

by Anonymousreply 504August 12, 2020 10:13 PM

I just ordered some face shields -- 5 for $15 and they've already been shipped. I have no problem with a mask, but there are some situations where a shield is probably preferable.

by Anonymousreply 505August 12, 2020 10:46 PM

R505 from where and what brand?

by Anonymousreply 506August 12, 2020 11:40 PM

r506 Here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507August 13, 2020 12:56 AM

Shields are worthless without a mask under it.

by Anonymousreply 508August 13, 2020 4:16 AM

Hello. Hello. Do you MIND not breathing near me?! Why of course, so sorry. Thank you, goodbye. Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 509August 13, 2020 6:55 AM

My face shields just arrived, took 2 weeks through amazon but I think I only paid $10 for qty 5. Stores around here are selling them for $10 each.

by Anonymousreply 510August 13, 2020 10:45 AM

Was able to score a 5-Pack of Lysol Wipes at Sam's Club this morning. I haven't seen Wipes at any Warehouse store since February and no Lysol branded ones at any store at all so this was quite a find. There were about 6 left in the aisle with 5 people in front of me. Luckily it was 1 per person and I got the last one.

by Anonymousreply 511August 13, 2020 5:18 PM

Boxed has Lysol wipes right now at 1:40 CST Thursday. I JUST got the notification.

Obviously, they aren't going to be here 8-10-12-24 hours from now, so please don't feel it necessary to come post that they were out when you checked two days from now

by Anonymousreply 512August 13, 2020 6:43 PM

Why are so many products available for sale online only if you buy large quantities of them now?

Amazon won't sell me one bag of cornmeal or one or two bottles of shower cleaner. I have to buy 4 bags of cornmeal and 8 bottles of shower cleaner - that would be more than a year's supply. And it's Method brand, and every Method product I've ever purchased was disappointing.

Vitacost won't let me mix and match snacky bars now. I have to buy a 12-ct box of a single flavor.

by Anonymousreply 513August 13, 2020 8:56 PM

I used my Castlegrade mask at Desert Radiology with not very good results.

Your voice is *extremely* muffled. I had to give my name when I checked in. The woman that took my name could not understand anything I was saying at all, and after I said my name three different times, the last time *screaming* my name loudly, she still couldn’t understand me and I had to spell it, shouting. When I took the paper from her, she had changed all the P’s to T.

I’ve also noticed when sitting or walking slowly it’s comfortable, but pushing a shopping cart at the market I felt like I wasn’t getting enough air at times. I’ve gone everywhere in N95’s and surgical masks, and the only time I had a hard time breathing was when I was physically exerting myself, like lifting heavy boxes or pushing a loaded shopping cart. Otherwise, it was ok. I didn’t feel comfortable after the first time I had trouble breathing with the Castlegrade, I felt a little bit claustrophobic.

For sitting quietly, it’s great. It fits the face well. But if you have to use this mask and talk, it sucks. No way are you going to sit on the phone all day wearing this. No one is going to understand you, especially if there’s background noise. In the back room, where it was quiet, people seemed to understand me much better. But generally, it was a frustrating experience.

by Anonymousreply 514August 15, 2020 10:11 PM

I've noticed that people have started bringing their kids with them again to the grocery stores. Even though the situation has improved (with regard to shopping I mean) since March/April, I still don't think this is wise. I'm sure most people still want to be able to move as quickly as possible through the store to get what they need and get out of there as soon as possible. Having your kids blocking the aisles does not help with that goal.

by Anonymousreply 515August 15, 2020 10:19 PM

Regarding masks, we recently had a meeting with our Infection Control manager and he said N95 masks are unnecessary. He said the virus is spread by droplets, it is not airborne like TB which we use N95 masks for. If we have a patient with Covid, a surgical mask with a face shield is enough protection (except in the ICU when you perform invasive procedures). The masks with those valves are prohibited at our work; they may help the person who wears them, not the people around them.

The best face masks are the surgical masks, then masks that are 3-ply 100% cotton or two ply made out of a thick cotton. A new report came out that bandanas or just a simple cloth over your face is not enough protection. Don't buy anything that contains polyester, you can hardly breathe through that stuff.

by Anonymousreply 516August 15, 2020 11:10 PM

R515, I don't know where you live, but where I live taking the kids along to the store never stopped.

by Anonymousreply 517August 15, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote]He said the virus is spread by droplets, it is not airborne like TB

A study published this week proved the virus is airborne. It hasn’t been peer-reviewed, though.

by Anonymousreply 518August 15, 2020 11:32 PM

We know that the virus can hang in the air for hours...that's what I heard Cuomo said at one of his press conferences.

by Anonymousreply 519August 15, 2020 11:37 PM

I heard there is so much aerosolized virus that has been spewed out that it's now circling the earth's atmosphere all the way up to the stratosphere and will rain down slowly for decades to come, causing a multi-decade death wave.

by Anonymousreply 520August 15, 2020 11:51 PM

On CNN they said it was airborne too.

Years ago, when people were worried about the bird flu, their worst fear was that it could be airborne. Luckily, it wasn’t. But our luck may have run out with Covid.

by Anonymousreply 521August 15, 2020 11:57 PM

[quote] it is not airborne like TB

We've known for quite some time that this is airborne.

by Anonymousreply 522August 16, 2020 12:04 AM

That's why people need to wear goggles now or even eyeglasses as protection.

by Anonymousreply 523August 16, 2020 1:23 AM

R514, that has been my experience, too, with the O2 Curve mask (which is similar to Castle Grade).

It’s very comfortable, and it definitely feels safer than a cloth or surgical mask...but I almost have to SHOUT to be heard!

Hasn’t really been an issue (yet), since I’ve only had a few, quick exchanges with cashiers. But I can see how a prolonged conversation/exchange of information could be a challenge. (I find it helps to slow-down & really annunciate)

I haven’t felt like the O2 inhibits my breathing. The day it arrived I wore it around the house for about 1/2 hour while doing chores, to test its comfort. Not major exertion, but I was moving around the whole time — dusting, vacuuming, cleaning the bathrooms, etc and I was perfectly comfortable.

I have gotten some weird looks from people . It does look like an athletic cup/BDSM thing. But no one has said anything, yet. I’m kinda waiting for that.

by Anonymousreply 524August 16, 2020 3:13 AM

[quote]Lidl, for some reason, seems to have fallen flat. I don't think they went into the right markets to launch, and I think they lost their investors.

Lidl sells out here in suburban Philly. You really have to shop early in the day and Wednesday mornings are the best.

by Anonymousreply 525August 16, 2020 3:22 AM

If you’re a single parent you have to bring the kids. There really isn’t a choice

by Anonymousreply 526August 16, 2020 7:54 AM

God, I wish we could turn the clock back a couple of years. Of course I'd still have my title, which was a blessing...and a curse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527August 16, 2020 3:59 PM

(I find it helps to slow-down & really annunciate)

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 528August 16, 2020 4:10 PM

I found 85% alcohol hand sanitizer, 8 oz. $2.99 each at Shoprite Brooklyn Ave. I, also Lysol power bathroom cleaner and Charmin TP. Is 85% as good as 70%? I know with alcohol stronger isn't necessarily better.

by Anonymousreply 529August 16, 2020 4:43 PM

Thin down your 85% with a little distilled water/aloe gel/glycerin. Basically the lower the percentage of alcohol, the longer it takes for it to evaporate, thus giving it more time to kill bacteria.

To dilute 99% iso prop alcohol, it's one part water to two parts alcohol, so maybe some math genius can help us out here for 85% to 70%.

by Anonymousreply 530August 16, 2020 8:18 PM

Make sure your hand sanitizer is not on the FDA List of hand sanitizers to avoid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531August 16, 2020 8:20 PM

R529 if it's already in hand sanitizer form, you don't have to dilute it. Probably best that you don't so that you're not diluting it below the percentage for proper efficacy.

by Anonymousreply 532August 16, 2020 9:31 PM

Outside Philly here. Got a container of Lysol wipes on Amazon Fresh the other morning.

by Anonymousreply 533August 16, 2020 10:56 PM

I know if I ever got hold of wipes again, I'd probably be afraid to use them thinking it will get worse and I'll never get them again.

by Anonymousreply 534August 16, 2020 10:58 PM

riteaid sells that pound cake, havent seen it at the dollar tree

by Anonymousreply 535August 16, 2020 11:11 PM

Clorox makes bleach-free, 99.9% bacteria/virus killing swiffer things for floors. Why don't you people so fixated on Lysol wipes just get those, cut them in half and use them to clean your surfaces?

I don't get this wipes fixation. It's beyond covid, it's like a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 536August 17, 2020 5:21 AM

R536, do you think you're the only person who's thought of something like that? Those Swiffer cloths are in short supply, just like the wipes, just like ANYTHING that disinfects or is antibacterial/anti-viral these days. If there were easy substitutes for a lot of these products, people wouldn't be 'fixated' on trying to obtain them. They'd just buy something else. But you know that - you just wanted to let us all know how very above it all you are.

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 537August 17, 2020 11:17 AM

R527 I remember your reign fondly ...

by Anonymousreply 538August 17, 2020 12:16 PM

The yeast shortage is getting absurd. We’re going on six months now, can’t they ramp up production?

by Anonymousreply 539August 17, 2020 12:32 PM

Keep clinging to your Lysol Wipes cross!

by Anonymousreply 540August 17, 2020 2:11 PM

They were selling like hotcakes at Dollar Tree two years ago, r535. Thank you, r538, that truly was my 15 minutes of DL fame. I was absolutely over the moon when I was announced winner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541August 17, 2020 2:27 PM

^

signed,

Pound Cake Queen 2018

by Anonymousreply 542August 17, 2020 2:28 PM

I'm also fascinated by those who are seemingly obsessed with what other people purchase and are routinely compelled to express an opinion about it. Talk about mental illness!

by Anonymousreply 543August 17, 2020 3:34 PM

They finally had Ben & Jerry's Cannoli ice cream again at my local Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh). I bought two.

by Anonymousreply 544August 17, 2020 3:45 PM

I'm fascinated by people who can't explain why they're fixated on one type of disinfectant while ignoring the advice from medical professionals that thorough cleaning doesn't require Lysol; the people who come here every fucking day and act as though sitting on one's ass all day scrolling and scanning their phones or laptops for Lysol and baking supplies and adding them to cart only to have them disappear by the time they go to checkout over and over makes them a modern age Sisyphus of the Covid era.

by Anonymousreply 545August 17, 2020 5:57 PM

Just went to my local Farmer's Market. They had cases of Seventh Generation Sanitizing Wipes. I didn't need any as I was able to score a 3-pack of Clorox Wipes last month.

I did have trouble finding cream cheese, though. I want to make the Atkins Cheesecake. I misread the recipe while food shopping and only bought one package; it requires 3. The Farmer's Market only had one package. Guess I'm altering the recipe and using two.

by Anonymousreply 546August 17, 2020 6:08 PM

[quote]The yeast shortage is getting absurd. We’re going on six months now, can’t they ramp up production?

My pussy is working as fast as it can!

by Anonymousreply 547August 17, 2020 7:06 PM

Anyone noticing a delay on Amazon Prime shipping again?

Whenever I purchase anything I'm noticing in checkout that the delivery date is not two days but four days.

by Anonymousreply 548August 17, 2020 10:46 PM

I just ordered book this morning R548 and it is going to arrive tomorrow R548. But I do expect delays to start coming in the next few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 549August 18, 2020 12:30 AM

Hard to get Bounty paper towels or Bounty napkins, which I like the best unless you want to pay 10 times what they cost pre-pandemic and 5 times more than they were just a month ago. And even at Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 550August 18, 2020 1:26 AM

Where are you located R550?

I purchased Bounty towels last week (in CA) and they had plenty in stock and the price had not gone up.

by Anonymousreply 551August 18, 2020 2:47 AM

Brooklyn NY, R551, but no car. I'd been getting them from Walmart but now it's pickup only and the nearest Walmart is in Valley Stream, very far from me, a car service would cost at least 60-70 bucks each way. I had been getting 8 triple rolls for 14.99 , delivered, from Walmart in June - mid July, but no more. They do still have alcohol, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 552August 18, 2020 3:44 AM

I haven't been able to find Bounty paper towels since this began and I'm in Los Angeles

by Anonymousreply 553August 18, 2020 3:56 AM

R553 have you been to Costco? The Burbank Costco has had Bounty Towels.

by Anonymousreply 554August 18, 2020 3:59 AM

R552 maybe this will help.

Says it's available to ship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555August 18, 2020 4:01 AM

I've seen lots of Bounty paper towels at target, home depot and even supermarkets in nyc.

by Anonymousreply 556August 18, 2020 5:00 AM

I was at Target the other day and before they only had one entrance open, but now both are open.

by Anonymousreply 557August 18, 2020 4:34 PM

Thank you R555!!!! Ordered!! I checked Target a couple of days ago and it was pickup in store only for the same one.

by Anonymousreply 558August 18, 2020 6:04 PM

WOW, R558, I'm fucking stoked!

by Anonymousreply 559August 18, 2020 6:19 PM

R558, next time you need some, also check Office Max/Office Depot as they also seem to have it in stock or available for pick up at a location near you.

by Anonymousreply 560August 18, 2020 6:27 PM

Thanks again for the tip R560! You rock!

by Anonymousreply 561August 18, 2020 10:06 PM

[quote]There's no excuse.

There really isn't, because chances are if you're short of breath in a surgical or cotton mask, you're probably going to still be short of breath without the mask, as well.

N95s are a different story. If they fit correctly, most people get short of breath in them at some point. However, the average Karen isn't balking at wearing one of those.

by Anonymousreply 562August 18, 2020 11:13 PM

Even tests done wearing the N95 didn't reduce oxygen levels significantly.

by Anonymousreply 563August 18, 2020 11:20 PM

I had to take my off R563 when weather was approaching 114 degrees. It was stifling.

by Anonymousreply 564August 18, 2020 11:39 PM

I read that in temperate climates, alligator snapping turtles hibernate in the mud at the bottom of ponds and river's, and the way they get oxygen during that time is by absorbing it from the water via their skin.

by Anonymousreply 565August 19, 2020 12:52 AM

Unnecessary apostrophe, DGAF.

by Anonymousreply 566August 19, 2020 12:53 AM

I went running a couple of times with a "breathable" gaiter on, and my heart rate jumped by 20 bpm, which is fine, I figure it's like training in altitude.

by Anonymousreply 567August 19, 2020 2:13 AM

I went to the grocery store today. Still no Brillo or SOS pads. Certain brand of dog food weren't restocked. There were disgusting shopper with face masks pulled below nose or entire face.

by Anonymousreply 568August 19, 2020 2:38 AM

^brands, shoppers

by Anonymousreply 569August 19, 2020 2:39 AM

R568

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570August 19, 2020 2:52 AM

Also:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571August 19, 2020 2:53 AM

R567, CNN reported that gaiters are actually worse than no mask, for other people. They break up the particles you breathe into smaller particles, thereby making it easier for the particles to escape through your mask and more transmissible to others. If you just breathed on people with no mask, the particles would remain larger and would be heavy enough that at least some would drop to the ground due to weight.

For running, you’d probably be better off wearing a cloth mask. CNN says the most effective masks are 1. N95, 2. Surgical masks, and 3. Cloth homemade masks with three layers.

by Anonymousreply 572August 19, 2020 3:36 AM

Scrub Tina Scrub!

by Anonymousreply 573August 19, 2020 4:05 AM

I was walking into the store the other day behind another man. Once he got past the doors, he immediately took his mask off. He was walking around with a self-satisfied grin on his face. Finally, after about 15 minutes in the store, one of the employees told him he had to wear the mask over his nose. He ignored the employee three times, pretending he didn't speak English. The employee made him pull it up and I thought that was that.

I ran into him again at the check out where I saw him take his mask off to sneeze, not covering his mouth with his hands, just blatantly sneezing out in the open. He didn't bother to put his mask back on. The person at the check out counter saw the whole thing and it was obvious she was uncomfortable but she didn't tell him to pull his mask back up.

Seems like more and more people are getting away with this kind of behavior because people don't want to deal with them or they're scared about what the customer is going to do to them.

by Anonymousreply 574August 20, 2020 2:42 AM

R574: Same thing happened at the local liquor store Saturday evening. The nice Korean couple placed a large sign in the window for everyone to wear a mask in the store. Everyone did (including a group of young twenty-somethings) but one middle-aged asshole (who looked like a typical MAGA Trump supporter) walked in without a mask and asked a lot of cigarette questions at the cashier next to mine (registers are side by side behind a counter - one line). I went as far left as I could go and leaned in to pay - to keep my distance from the 2nd guy and got out of there ASAP. I could tell the owners were very uncomfortable, but afraid to say anything. Going forward, I will keep my weekly wine pickup to the early afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 575August 20, 2020 3:43 AM

[quote]Seems like more and more people are getting away with this kind of behavior because people don't want to deal with them or they're scared about what the customer is going to do to them.

Can you blame them, though? Retail and service employees who make minimum wage are getting physically attacked by rageaholics all over the country for trying to enforce mask policies. In the past week or so there have been two incidents where underage teenage employees have had the crap beaten out of them by adult customers for daring to remind them to wear their masks. These people are already having to risk their health and safety just by going to work - if they don't want to further jeopardize themselves and risk a broken jaw, I can see where they're coming from.

by Anonymousreply 576August 20, 2020 10:27 AM

FDA warns about UV lights to disinfect coronavirus and other germs

From CNN Health’s Maggie Fox

Lamps that use ultraviolet light to kill germs can inactivate coronavirus, but they are not all safe and it is not clear how good a job they do at killing the virus, the US Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday.

The FDA said ultraviolet-C (UVC) wavelengths are better than UVA and UVB light at destroying viruses, but UVC lamps still have their limits.

“The effectiveness of UVC lamps in inactivating the SARS-CoV-2 virus is unknown because there is limited published data about the wavelength, dose, and duration of UVC radiation required to inactivate the SARS-CoV-2 virus,” the FDA said in a newly posted statement.

Plus the lamps only work in limited circumstances.

“It is important to recognize that, generally, UVC cannot inactivate a virus or bacterium if it is not directly exposed to UVC. In other words, the virus or bacterium will not be inactivated if it is covered by dust or soil, embedded in porous surface or on the underside of a surface,” the FDA said.

There’s been an explosion of products on offer to fight coronavirus, including germicidal lamps. The World Health Organization warns against trying to use them to disinfect human skin, including the hands.

In addition, some UVC lamps generate ozone, which can irritate airways.

“Some UVC lamps contain mercury. Because mercury is toxic even in small amounts, extreme caution is needed in cleaning a lamp that has broken and in disposing of the lamp," the FDA added.

by Anonymousreply 577August 20, 2020 3:42 PM

R518, they've been talking about the virus being super tiny and airborne for months now. Sure, droplets are more infectious, but I have a theory that is being discussed by others that explains why the US has so many more covid cases than euro countries.

The US has more cases not because Americans are somehow inferior. It's because of the way Americans live their lives. First, we shop in large stores with lots of people in them. Euros shop more often in small shops. There are more potential exposures this way. Second, Americans use central a/c and most euros don't. Infection numbers have been worst in warm states that are using air conditioning, like AZ and FL. Cases exploded in AZ when a/c was in routine use beginning in May/June.

by Anonymousreply 578August 20, 2020 6:51 PM

The US has more cases than every other country because the US has a large population of morons who will not take quarantine or social distancing or mask wearing seriously.

Period.

by Anonymousreply 579August 20, 2020 7:21 PM

Have people stopped shopping or was this thread paywalled?

by Anonymousreply 580August 26, 2020 8:17 PM

New thread in case this was in fact paywalled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581August 26, 2020 8:21 PM

[quote] What medical condition would keep you from putting a mask over your nose and mouth? I have cardiomyopathy, so it’s difficult for me to breathe properly when I’m walking outside with the mask on. I wear it whenever I’m shopping or in a public building because it’s required.

by Anonymousreply 582August 26, 2020 11:52 PM

[quote] What medical condition would keep you from putting a mask over your nose and mouth?

I have cardiomyopathy, so it’s difficult for me to breathe properly when I’m walking outside with the mask on. I wear it whenever I’m shopping or in a public building because it’s required.

by Anonymousreply 583August 26, 2020 11:52 PM

It can be hard with asthma and COPD it really depends on how severe the condition is. People with mulder cases are fine with a mask but others not so much.

by Anonymousreply 584August 27, 2020 7:36 AM

It can be hard with asthma and COPD it really depends on how severe the condition is. People with mulder cases are fine with a mask but others not so much.

by Anonymousreply 585August 27, 2020 7:36 AM

by Anonymousreply 586August 27, 2020 7:36 AM

I found some very high octane rubbing alcohol to sanitize my hands and cart. When I used opened it up in the store yesterday, I could smell it through the circle window in my mask and it nearly knocked me out!

by Anonymousreply 587August 27, 2020 2:45 PM

I finally found some Bounty. I don't understand why some products become scarce to nil and then like magic they're abundant again. These companies need to ship more stuff on an ongoing basis.

by Anonymousreply 588August 27, 2020 4:17 PM

It is because people are hoarding R588. I was at the store the other day and a woman loaded up her cart with TP, Kleenex and other paper products.

by Anonymousreply 589August 27, 2020 6:32 PM

r587, it may be too high, and not effective in killing bacteria because of the fast evaporation rate. It should be no higher than 70%.

by Anonymousreply 590August 27, 2020 6:33 PM

Was at to grocery stores today. It looked just like the beginning of the pandemic; empty shelves and what was available was in limited supply. I didn't check out the paper products as I was shopping for food.

by Anonymousreply 591August 28, 2020 5:52 PM

I went for Lysol wipes on Sunday and they were out AGAIN. A broad coming the wrong way down the aisle had two three-packs in her cart. I said to the clerk, why don't they enforce the limit. She just shrugged. I thanked her curtly after she slammed my 12 pack of toilet paper down on the sales counter with the reciept and she said "No problem." Well I certainly HOPE it wasn't a problem.

by Anonymousreply 592August 28, 2020 9:26 PM

Ugh, I find Sugar Free Log Cabin syrup anywhere. Only Cary’s Sugar Free available. I hope it tastes good...Milk and paper towels are limited also.

by Anonymousreply 593August 28, 2020 10:00 PM

*I can’t find

by Anonymousreply 594August 28, 2020 10:01 PM

I go to Marshall's to get my skin care and hair care products where prices are greatly reduced. I can find an occasional high price skin care item or hair care product for half the price. I notice that a lot of healthy skin care and hair care products that are organic come from Australia. The only problem is you won't find the same brand-name item there on a consistent basis.

Their home items are also decently priced.

by Anonymousreply 595August 28, 2020 10:03 PM

R595, are the skin care products Sugar Free Log Cabin brand or what?

by Anonymousreply 596August 28, 2020 10:05 PM

I've never seen that brand there but their products are always changing.

I usually buy body butter at The Body Shop. A 7 oz container may be as high as $21. Now that I will be on a budget soon, I have to look elsewhere. I bought some body butter at Marshall's for $5 and it's just as good, if not better.

by Anonymousreply 597August 28, 2020 10:19 PM

Isn't Marshall's the place that all the beauty products are opened and have product missing because people dip their fingers into them, using them as testers? Or is that TJ Maxx?

by Anonymousreply 598August 28, 2020 10:36 PM

Link to new thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599August 28, 2020 10:36 PM

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 600August 28, 2020 10:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!