Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's the trashiest part of the UK?

Just the absolute shithole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577November 10, 2020 9:22 AM

Scotland.

And of that West Scotland.

And of that Glasgow.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2020 2:48 PM

London

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2020 2:49 PM

Essex

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2020 2:50 PM

Coventry. Before WW2 had a beautiful centre with medieval buildings. Got razed to the ground by the Nazis and they rebuilt it in concrete blocks. Hideous place. Also, Luton a city just north of London. Similar hideous architecture, nothing going for it at all. Mainly a dormitory town for London.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2020 2:55 PM

That woman in OP's pic is sporting a designer handbag!

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2020 2:56 PM

R3 fuck off, you mad cunt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2020 3:19 PM

The east of London is bad because all the trash from the Eastend moved there.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2020 3:23 PM

I meant the counties to the east of London. Otherwise the comment doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2020 3:24 PM

Most people say Essex, but there is some good dick in Essex.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2020 3:25 PM

well yeah -- chav dick, R9

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2020 3:27 PM

I think pretty much a lotof it. Last year I caught a morning Saturday day train from York to Leeds. You simple have no idea. Guys with their girlfriends. There was no room foe everyone so a lot of them were standing. Naturally the guys sat drinking beer and their girlfriends sat around them while they belched and made lewd remarks to the benefit of all. Next to me sat a group of teens, he sat , she sat on her lap , with her back to me and their friends all around them. He kept feeling her up. Again, drinking. The girls wore make up as if for the last row of a crowded theatre. This was 11am.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2020 3:27 PM

Jodie Marsh is an Essex girl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2020 3:35 PM

I didn’t know Coventry was that bad. I have a cousin there. How about Wolverhampton?

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2020 4:24 PM

I heard about Coventry from an English bf long ago. The whole city was reduced to rubble during the war. Said it was a right shithole (his words). Low income ghetto looking place.

Sad they couldn't salvage anything.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2020 4:55 PM

Blackpool.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2020 5:01 PM

I thought Blackpool was a seaside resort and has a big ballroom dancing competition every year.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2020 5:02 PM

Every area has parts which are poor and run down. Cornwall, which is possibly the most picturesque of the English counties, is also very poor. The second poorest region in Northern Europe. However, in terms of slums and visible poverty many of the old mill towns of the North would be where you would more consistently find that along with fairly high crime rates. You would also get many more instances of people falling out of the pub on a Friday night with their knickers round their ankles or collapsing in the street drunk.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2020 5:13 PM

what exactly is a chav? Is it like white trash? Punk? Criminal? Is it like redneck, or is that just an American thing?

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2020 5:16 PM

Weatherfield

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2020 5:18 PM

Brightonians = Clueless softarse faux-academics & LGBTQAI??? freaks giving us all a bad name. Londoners = Flash cunts, fake hardmen in ‘gangs’, Asian/African immigrants. All somehow claim to be related to the Kray Twins. Basically Parisians without the culture. Kentish men/Men of Kent = Factory farm retards who try to claim Chelsea cachet. Brummies = Whingeing & pigshit thick. Taffys = Sheepfuckers, low INT racists, hypocrites. Also applies to Aberdonians. Mercians/West Midlanders = Sheltered hillbilly morons, cousin marriages abound. West Country folk = Carrot-munching Hobbit simpletons, the types to clap at fireworks and point at planes. Home Counties folk = Dim-witted but snobby Tory scum who lick the arse of the Royal Family. Cumbrians = Paranoid insular nutters with shotguns and attack dogs. Everything wrong with them. East Anglians = Windowlickers with webbed feet, Wicker Man territory. Scousers = Pikeys, pickpockets, think they're natural comedians, doleys, women all look like Pete Burns. Mancs = Superior gobshite chav overlords, the gay dustbin of England. Geordies = Ant or Dec. Leeds/Yorkshiremen = BNP-supporting wife-beaters, care home for rejected Midlanders, embarassigly shite football teams. North Easterners = Basically just cultures Londoners exiled a few generations ago for swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool and contributing nothing.

BONUS (Jocks & Paddies): Glaswegians = Perma-drunk, hair-trigger lunatic trolls, barely human. Dubs = see London and subtract the coloured folk & gays. Ulstermen = Mad sectarian kiddie fiddlers obsessed with blowing things up.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2020 5:24 PM

I do love how drunk the masses of poor Brits are. Seems like less of a drug culture like the US. Social acceptance of drunkenness and daily pub going makes it way easier to be a drunk, Makes a heavy drinker in the US feel like a lightweight.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2020 5:29 PM

Where did Onslow and Daisy live?

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2020 5:37 PM

R21 when you can pop out a litter and get free housing and stuff, why bother? I know I’ll get raked over the coals for saying this. There are generations of lazy drunks on the dole. Mostly white too.

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2020 5:40 PM

Would most consider Onslow and Daisy trash? They seem educated, always reading in bed. Just poor. Rose on the other hand.

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2020 5:47 PM

I read on a website devoted to Keeping Up Appearances that the show was filmed near or in Coventry.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2020 5:50 PM

Scunthorpe

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2020 5:51 PM

Frogmore.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2020 5:53 PM

damn r20, do you like anyone?

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2020 5:54 PM

What were those Northern Soul towns?

by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2020 5:54 PM

Wherever Milo Y. comes from.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2020 5:58 PM

I will say that those shit hole towns are at least patriotic, unlike most of shit hole England, including shot hole London.

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2020 6:23 PM

Speaking of this, isn't it almost time for our annual Aintree Races thread with all the UK low classes playing lord and lady in their finery and getting sloppy drunk?

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2020 6:24 PM

Shit probably canceled from covid.

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2020 6:31 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2020 6:46 PM

R20, that was epic.

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2020 7:02 PM

I thought Keeping up Appearances was Wolverhampton/Manchester areas. Think she mentioned it at one point.

Daisy and Onslow are classic British white trash to me. Better educated than their American counterparts - with better benefits.

by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2020 7:09 PM

[quote]However, in terms of slums and visible poverty many of the old mill towns of the North would be where you would more consistently find that along with fairly high crime rates.

This is also true of the old mill towns in the Northeastern US. They turned into very depressing, lower class places with lots of crime. But at least in Britain you don't have to worry about gun violence.

by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2020 7:22 PM

r18 a chav is the British version of what we call "white trash" in America. It's essentially the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 38July 18, 2020 7:24 PM

A good example of a really depressing town is in the movie The Full Monty. That whole town seemed depressing. Manchester, I believe it was.

by Anonymousreply 39July 18, 2020 7:44 PM

Chester is a hovel, but replete with cock-hungry gay men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 18, 2020 8:03 PM

Which city offers CHAV trade with huge veiny dripping cocks for 50 quid including the load.

by Anonymousreply 41July 18, 2020 8:06 PM

I wish I lived in the UK to truly appreciate what R20 was ranting about!

by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2020 8:16 PM

The Full Monty was set in Sheffield. (The American version -- the musical -- was set in Buffalo.)

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2020 8:17 PM

You can only judge a shithole by the turds that pass through it!

by Anonymousreply 44July 18, 2020 8:19 PM

Jaywick in Essex usually wins these questions.

Though most of Stoke isn't far behind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 18, 2020 8:28 PM

Curious how a seaside town can get that bad. Cant they build some nice hotels and pubs/shops to lure tourists?

by Anonymousreply 46July 18, 2020 8:43 PM

It would really pay, seaside towns in the UK are mostly dumps (with the exception of the south coast).

It's pretty cold and wet here for most of the year.

by Anonymousreply 47July 18, 2020 8:55 PM

I loved that little town in Martin. That's about all the familiarity I have with seaside towns in the UK.

I guess they dont have that nice sand either and are mostly rock?

by Anonymousreply 48July 18, 2020 8:58 PM

Cornwall has great sandy beaches. But again that is the south coast.

We have sandy beaches further north but it's usually too cold and wet to use them (I live in the north and we've just had almost 3 weeks of rain and 60f temps in July)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 18, 2020 9:06 PM

Do Oxford or Cambridge have trashy areas?

by Anonymousreply 50July 18, 2020 9:17 PM

R20 - so the trashiest parts of the UK is pretty much ALL of UK???

by Anonymousreply 51July 18, 2020 9:20 PM

South Yorkshire.

by Anonymousreply 52July 18, 2020 10:03 PM

Cambridge is a very small city, so no.

Oxford does. The Jericho neighborhood used to be awful, although it's quite fancy now.

by Anonymousreply 53July 18, 2020 10:04 PM

I like the town that Broadchurch was filmed in. What's that like?

by Anonymousreply 54July 18, 2020 10:09 PM

This is disappointing. As an American, I like to imagine much of England is like Midsomer Murders without the crime.

I know there are shitholes everywhere but still.

by Anonymousreply 55July 18, 2020 10:13 PM

R46/R47 the worst is Folkestone. If the Apocalypse came to our shores, all of England would look and feel like Folkestone. It has a haunted abandoned quality, even though it’s still inhabited. Even the constant rain feels menacing. The last time I went as a child, it terrified me on such a deep level I’ve never forgotten it (and I’d been all over the country as a kid).

For an inland example, Cinderford town (nestled in the Forest of Dean) is pretty close to the arse-end of humanity. Nothing grows there, even though it’s on the outskirts of a fuck-off massive forest. Every native is unintelligible and slightly-deformed or mentally unstable & vacant. It is always somehow dark and overcast, even in the height of summer. Depressed isn’t strong enough of a word - it’s more like post-industrial, miserabilist rural gothic.

by Anonymousreply 56July 18, 2020 10:18 PM

Rhyl in North Wales is also pretty awful, pretty representative of most northern seaside towns. It looks like it was abandoned in 1960.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 18, 2020 10:29 PM

Wales always seems depressing as shit to me and that's just from the tv shows I've seen. Always dreary, post-industrial or dreary and rural. Do they have a high suicide rate by any chance? Does the sun ever come out?

by Anonymousreply 58July 18, 2020 10:42 PM

R58 Wales can be very lush & picturesque in a Springwatch way if you stay close to the borders (Gwent), head for the hills (Carmarthen), or go to the coast (Swansea). It’s deep landlocked Wales that’s bleak.

Still I’d always prefer Wales to the North of England. Then again, I’m from the West so to me everywhere north of Watford is firmly in the ‘Grim Up North’ category (I.e., Here Be Dragons, Do Not Enter).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 18, 2020 10:49 PM

R13 The Black Country area includes Walsall, Dudley & Wolverhampton, and those three kind of have a mutual dislike for Birmingham because their Midland accent is often confused for the ridiculous Brummy accent by everyone else in the country.

J.R.R. Tolkien based the scorched stronghold of earthly evil in his novels that is Mordor on 19th Century industrialised Birmingham. Mordor. That says it all.

by Anonymousreply 60July 18, 2020 10:53 PM

r58 has never seen the Valleys

by Anonymousreply 61July 18, 2020 11:27 PM

[R20] Blows my American mind. I didn’t know the UK was such a patchwork quilt of trashy inbred drunkenness and depravity, though I know of Chavs with the fake tans and hair extensions. It makes sense, since a lot of us come from there. Mine came from the bombing Kiddie fiddlers of Ulster!

by Anonymousreply 62July 18, 2020 11:59 PM

American here. I've never been to the north of England but from the movies and tv shows I've seen it looks so bleak and grey and depressing. There's a movie called Wasteland (that's the US title, the British title is "The Rise") starring Luke Treadaway and Iwan Rheon (Game of Thrones) about a group of aimless young men in some town in the north of England who plot a crime to get out of their circumstances, and my god their town looks like one of the most depressing places on Earth.

It's a very good film, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2020 2:06 AM

What most of the named places have in common is terrible transport links to the major cities.

It would take 2-3 hours to reach most of them and they are all less than 90 miles from a large city.

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2020 3:02 AM

R64, not true, trains work well and to full capacity in most ofthe uk. Unfortunately the chavs use it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2020 9:08 AM

London to Jaywick ((70 miles) takes around 2 hours by car in normal traffic and up to 3 hours by train.

Manchester to Rhyl which is the same distance takes around the same.

Plus for train journeys you have to get to the station.

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2020 9:36 AM

R53 No rough areas in Cambridge? Cherry Hinton or Chesterton areas of town are a bit tasty.

Two roughest most depressing places I've ever been in the UK where Morecambe and Greenock, the latter of them was after a great drive through scenic countryside I drove over the top of the hill to a vista of 1960s high rise flats, peppered with abandoned cars and a mattress on fire, it was like a scene out of Mad Max...

There are some real dumps in the UK, and with a population that has been confirmed by national vote to be 51% thick as mince it is clear where the blame lies. If you want to know which areas of the UK to avoid, take a look at the national stupid ratings, the darker the blue, avoid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 19, 2020 9:40 AM

Rochdale.

by Anonymousreply 68July 19, 2020 9:49 AM

Longsight.

by Anonymousreply 69July 19, 2020 10:03 AM

R39 [italic] The Full Monty [/italic] was filmed in Sheffield, another Northern rust-belt city.

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2020 10:10 AM

In the US does poor always mean trashy? There are a few places mentioned above that are poor but I wouldn't call them trashy. I don't find trashy necessarily scary, either. Newcastle can get very messy at night but it's good fun and I've never seen anyone fighting. One of the most frightening places at night for me is Brighton, which is neither trashy or poor but parts of Kemptown or down West St late at night can feel really nasty.

by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2020 10:12 AM

I visited Scotland last year, and Glasgow was exactly what one would imagine. Gritty, at times majestic, at times bleak, and with people plastered just after 5.

When I say “plastered” I am not talking about tipsy, drunk or boorish. No, I’m referring to people being positively shit-faced. Too drunk to function, puking their guts out.

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2020 11:18 AM

a guide to uk cities for foreign people

MANCHESTER: gays. you will probably get mugged.

LIVERPOOL: like manchester, but less gay. you will definitely get mugged.

NEWCASTLE: probably quite good for canadians as exists in permafrost and has never left the 90s.

LEEDS: it's a lot cheaper than london

BRADFORD: leeds but awful

NOTTINGHAM: gun death capital of the uk!

DERBY: intense rivalry with nottingham, literally no one else in the country or world gives any fucks about this.

HULL: violently resist anyone who attempts to take you here

LEICESTER: i'm not sure this is a real place

YORK: this is an illustration from the top of a christmas biscuit assortment

BIRMINGHAM: NO.

BRIGHTON & HOVE: more gays. is only a pretend city. mild to moderate chance of mugging. contains some deeply annoying hippies. basically if san francisco was british.

PORTSMOUTH: there is literally nothing here.

SOUTHAMPTON: exactly the same as portsmouth but smells of off milk

BRISTOL: you have a 1 in 10 chance of ending up in a bbc recording. everyone sounds like a farmer or bob marley.

CARDIFF: you have a 1 in 5 chance of ending up in a bbc recording, and a 1 in 3 chance of being glassed.

PLYMOUTH: post apocalyptic wind tunnel full of drunk sailors pissing on depressed hookers. do not enter.

PENZANCE: everyone here is from london now.

LONDON: no one from london is actually from london and even breathing is expensive.

CAMBRIDGE: windy and full of equal amounts of homeless drug addicts and public schoolboys. the junkies are nicer.

OXFORD: same number of cunts as cambridge but easier to escape from due to all-night bus to london

EDINBURGH: a goth turned into a city. basically london but slightly more scottish.

GLASGOW: it is impossible to tell whether people are angry or happy.

ABERDEEN: las vegas at the point when vegas starts crying uncontrollably

BELFAST: do not order "an irish car bomb" OR "a black and tan" here.

WOLVERHAMPTON: really, really don't.

NORWICH: count people's fingers. mutations walk here.

COVENTRY: like plymouth, bombed flat in ww2. like plymouth, failed to take the hint. like plymouth: do not alight here.

PETERBOROUGH: you probably got off the train to Edinburgh a couple of hours too early.

by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2020 11:44 AM

Mayfair, Kensington, Henley, Marlow, Windsor, Sevenoaks, and especially Chipping Norton all have vile, disgusting people who should be guillotined.

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2020 11:55 AM

[quote] One of the most frightening places at night for me is Brighton, which is neither trashy or poor but parts of Kemptown or down West St late at night can feel really nasty.

In what way R71? Do you feel like it's dangerous to walk there, that you might be mugged or beat up? Or something else?

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2020 12:00 PM

[quote] In the US does poor always mean trashy?

Yes. But large swathes of our middle class are also trashy. And our wealthy. Essentially, the majority of people in the US are trashy.

Anyway, I'm sure many places listed here are worse, but of the towns I've been to, Leicester gets my vote for Most trashy.

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2020 12:07 PM

Nothing better than Chav cock 🤪

by Anonymousreply 77July 19, 2020 12:16 PM

I disagree R76. My mother came from a small, depressed town. Young people got an education and got the fuck out as soon as they could, leaving the elderly and whoever else but I do have to say that most people kept ther houses nice and tidy. Little post WWII box houses lined up with neat little gardens.

Maybe it's just a Southern thing but we judge "trash" by their living conditions. One can be poor but keep a nice, clean, tidy home, even if it's a doublewide, or live in squalor with broken toilets and washers in your front yard (trash).

by Anonymousreply 78July 19, 2020 12:32 PM

Americans don’t drink at all compared to Brits! You very seldom see anyone puking in the street here. We do have meth labs, though. Americans like to be zipping around, staying busy, so are more into stimulants. By busy I mean getting into fights and involved in criminal enterprises.

by Anonymousreply 79July 19, 2020 12:50 PM

R45 that article leads the reader to believe that a cartel of both Scouse & Manc druglords are taking over together.

If I’m reading that correctly, it must be the only time in recorded history that such a collaboration came about voluntarily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 19, 2020 2:11 PM

When I lived in London the English girlfriend of my American roommate let it slip that she was from Portsmouth but told everyone she was from Winchester because Portsmouth was “rough”.

by Anonymousreply 81July 19, 2020 2:34 PM

[R81] Thats so funny! In Virginia, Winchester is an old stuffy town in the upper Shenandoah Valley where Patsy Cline was from. Portsmouth is an old grimy port city near Norfolk. All the cities in Virginia are named after ones in England. In both England and Virginia, Portsmouth is “rough,” But in Virginia Portsmouth is home to a lot of hip hop artists and is also where Gene Vincent grew up.

by Anonymousreply 82July 19, 2020 2:40 PM

In the US, some of the trashiest white trash towns are surrounded by beautiful mountains and gorgeous scenery - in the Appalachians. Pocket towns abandoned to extreme poverty surrounded by beauty. Some towns in the South too - without the mountains. Literally shacks where people live on $400 month.

I think US white trash takes pills, heroin and meth - whereas British white trash drink to excess. Well, tbh that’s true of all levels of US and British society I guess. Brits drink ginormously - the US is vaguely puritanical about drinking (ex., we prohibited alcohol in our Constitution for years) but are ginormous drug takers (I.e., hypocrites)

by Anonymousreply 83July 19, 2020 2:51 PM

R1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 19, 2020 3:10 PM

The only way is Essex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 19, 2020 3:11 PM

Cheryl Hole is from Essex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 19, 2020 3:14 PM

If you drive through West Virginia it is gorgeous r83, but it is inhabited by trashy, poor, ignorant people.

by Anonymousreply 87July 19, 2020 3:31 PM

[quote] people live on $400 month

That's about what I spend.

by Anonymousreply 88July 19, 2020 3:39 PM

R85/R86 the Essex accent always gets me. A proper TOWIE turnout has me on the floor pmsl, even when it’s just a boring everyday conversation. Impossible to take anyone seriously when they’re going on like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 19, 2020 3:55 PM

Wherever they filmed that Council Scum chav porn.

by Anonymousreply 90July 19, 2020 3:57 PM

R20 R73 Where do you live? Which part of the UK has the hottest men?

by Anonymousreply 91July 19, 2020 4:35 PM

The trash component of the US is slow and sullen. They can be dangerous, but if you avoid them, they avoid you. The trash in the UK always seem to be looking for a fight.

Most "trashy" rural areas in the US could be lovely with a little time and money. The "trashy" rural areas in the UK seem designed to be as ugly as possible: miserable little stony-faced houses jammed together on treeless streets (what's with the seeming British hatred of tree-lined streets?).

Go to a rich area in the US and there will be no trash. Go to a similar area in the UK and they are always there when you least expect them. I remember trying to find a place for an after-dinner drink in one of the UK's loveliest old market towns and being unable, in the company of a British friend, to find an establishment where we wouldn't both, according to him, be severely beaten (he is straight). As we were looking, four young women wearing postage stamps over their nipples and spray paint on their crotches came teetering down the otherwise deserted (9 PM, you know) streets, howling at Concord-disaster decibel levels about who they were gonna roll that night. I haven't seen such whorishness wrapped around a Vegas dance pole. And this was the UK equivalent of North Salem, NY.

Oddly enough, the drinking culture is framed by a bar culture that sucks like a Key Largo waterspout. If it's not beer or gin poured straight out of the bottle, they don't know what they're doing - and due to early closing hours, they pound the shit down to the point where anything after 6 PM is basically the Burton/Taylor marriage minus the looks.

by Anonymousreply 92July 19, 2020 4:59 PM

[quote]CARDIFF: you have a 1 in 5 chance of ending up in a bbc recording, and a 1 in 3 chance of being glassed.

What does "glassed" mean?

by Anonymousreply 93July 19, 2020 5:01 PM

r70 see r43

by Anonymousreply 94July 19, 2020 5:02 PM

I would love to explore all of the UK (I've only been to London (twice), and then in Southampton briefly for a cruise.) But I don't think I could handle driving there. I guess I could go by train. It would be fun to spend a whole month just traversing the island.

by Anonymousreply 95July 19, 2020 5:03 PM

Agree for a drinking culture, the paucity of decent mixed drinks in favor of beer is annoying. How are they all not bloated ballooned fatties? A good vodka soda is a rarity - they serve them in little glasses that provide about 3 sips.

by Anonymousreply 96July 19, 2020 5:04 PM

R96 It's because the food is so horrible, no one eats. Daily calories from booze only.

by Anonymousreply 97July 19, 2020 5:15 PM

R92 Having a tree within 5 metres (16ft) of your house can cause subsidence on our mainly clay/chalk soils, so the home insurance companies either dramatically increase your premiums or refuse you cover (which will also increase your future premiums with another insurer)

The narrowness of the streets makes it almost impossible to have a tree at the front of your house without fucking up your insurance.

by Anonymousreply 98July 19, 2020 5:28 PM

R93. This is a glassing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 19, 2020 5:33 PM

The hatred of trees in UK and Ireland is such a cultural difference. Leafy areas are sought after in US. We have Tree City awards for towns with most/best trees.

by Anonymousreply 100July 19, 2020 6:00 PM

[quote]Brits drink ginormously

We do, witness PM Boris playing us all by talking up pubs re-opening on 'Super Saturday' and beyond.

I'm always however impressed by (and a shade envious of) people I know who Don't Drink.

by Anonymousreply 101July 19, 2020 6:02 PM

R100 Trees and brick or stone houses close to each other can cause terrible problems in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 19, 2020 6:19 PM

Those odd little treeless "gardens" in front of those, what I call, townhomes always struck me as weird as well as the big places a la Downton Abby just plopped down with no shade trees nearby. I never thought insurance was a concern. Someone once told me that a large walk in closet in the UK would be considered a room there and taxed accordingly. True?

by Anonymousreply 103July 19, 2020 6:28 PM

R75, I love Brighton but I used to go there regularly about a decade ago and West St was horrible at night. Police running about, fights in the street, seeing a guy with blood rushing out his head, and I remember one night someone set fire to a load of bins, etc. I wasn't scared of being beaten up because I was gay, there was just a general 'what the fuck are you looking at?' vibe. I'm not frightened of drunk people or drug users and I don't equate either with an area being bad but there were a lot of users in Kemptown as well and a lot of muggings. I'm going back a decade and it's probably all mellowed since then. My days of partying and travelling a lot for work are over now, though the town described by R92 sounds like fun.

by Anonymousreply 104July 19, 2020 6:30 PM

The Appalachians are crazy beautiful and primordial and vaguely creepy. Visiting my father, ho retired around there, I was driving a winding mountain road and suddenly off to the side, perched on the hillside, was a ramshackle cabin that looked more like a lean to with a big pot of something boiling out front. Looked like it was straight out of a movie set in the 1800s. I half expected Granny Clampett to come out.

by Anonymousreply 105July 19, 2020 6:51 PM

R103 It wouldn't really matter if you had a large walk in closet as property taxes are based on the total value of home. The average payment is under £2000 a year.

You can live in a £30million house in Kensington & Chelsea and pay less than £2,500 a year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 19, 2020 6:58 PM

Grimsby. The name says it all.

by Anonymousreply 107July 19, 2020 6:59 PM

Good on your father, R105 - retired ho’s deserve respect too.

by Anonymousreply 108July 19, 2020 7:02 PM

Manchester has a bad atmosphere. I was once hit by a flying, broken beer glass in a club. I had just come for the weekend to see a friend who lived there. I have reluctantly gone back to see my friend, but I find the people confrontational and angry.

I lived in London for many years, and knew lots of people, friends and colleagues, who were mugged. I became increasingly concerned about the increase in knife and gun crime, so I left. It seems even worse now.

by Anonymousreply 109July 19, 2020 7:18 PM

An ex-pat friend said he feels safer in the states even with guns than he did in London because of so much violence in clubs and in the streets. He was stabbed in a pub in London by some football nut. He said just walking home at night was dangerous. He just said Americans are calmer, friendlier drunks.

by Anonymousreply 110July 19, 2020 7:25 PM

Sorry to hear that, R98. The meanest residential area of NYC is still marked by tree-lined streets - and you'd be amazed what a boon they are. Shade in summer, color in fall, decorated for winter and just a civilizing aspect all round.

by Anonymousreply 111July 19, 2020 7:29 PM

For a comedic and somewhat lunatic glimpse at violent dilapidated inner-city living, here’s a musical interlude from vintage BBC3 comedy MONGRELS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 19, 2020 7:33 PM

R110, violence in the US is a very real and deadly thing. But violence in the UK seems completely random.

by Anonymousreply 113July 19, 2020 7:38 PM

Liverpool is a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 114July 19, 2020 7:40 PM

Which has the higher murder rate: St. Mary Mead or Cabot Cove?

by Anonymousreply 115July 19, 2020 7:41 PM

^^alright, Gaz?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 19, 2020 7:43 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117July 19, 2020 7:45 PM

The States = non-U

by Anonymousreply 118July 19, 2020 7:48 PM

I have been to York. The very first guy I met made a fist and kind of pantomimed punching me in the face. It was odd.

Loved the walls, and the snickleways, though.

by Anonymousreply 119July 19, 2020 7:51 PM

He wanted you to fist him R119.

by Anonymousreply 120July 19, 2020 7:56 PM

Damn, wish I'd had you there as an interpreter r120.

by Anonymousreply 121July 19, 2020 7:57 PM

Both Portsmouths are rough, R82.

by Anonymousreply 122July 19, 2020 8:24 PM

I realize you said it too, but having pop stars around isn't any sort of excuse.

by Anonymousreply 123July 19, 2020 8:26 PM

Violence in Britain is definitely more random. You can get attacked on the street in a nice, even posh area. In the US that's mostly confined to neighborhoods you know to never set foot in.

American here, BTW. I've visited London regularly for 20 years, and I never cease to be amazed at the fistfights and brawling in the street in decent, nice areas. That's something you'd never see on the Upper East Side or in Back Bay or Beacon Hill in Boston. Even more lower middle-class areas in the US don't have that much street brawling. You really have to go to places that are 100% ghetto for that. And of course "respectable" people never traverse to such areas in the US.

by Anonymousreply 124July 19, 2020 8:30 PM

On the south coast, Portsmouth. Massive shithole.

by Anonymousreply 125July 19, 2020 8:35 PM

London. Full of politicians, pedos, Saudi princes, Russians and drug addicts.

by Anonymousreply 126July 19, 2020 8:39 PM

Everyone in the UK being drunk 24/7 doesn't help matters.

by Anonymousreply 127July 19, 2020 9:04 PM

[quote] Everyone in the UK being drunk 24/7 doesn't help matters.

I quite like being drunk.

by Anonymousreply 128July 19, 2020 9:09 PM

I do too, r128. That is one thing we should have kept from the 1950s, everyone being kind of drunk all the time.

by Anonymousreply 129July 19, 2020 9:45 PM

Yes, the US wins a point (because we are only drunk as fuck all day on weekends).

by Anonymousreply 130July 19, 2020 9:54 PM

At the office in the City of London where I worked as a young'un, the partners started drinking sherry at 11am, then went to a boozy lunch which lasted until 3pm; they got back to sign the letters out which they had dictated before elevenses then got the 4.15 back to Esher or wherever, after that I suppose it was cocktails and boozy dinner until lights out and start again the next day. That was the weekdays; weekends I am not sure of but I think it was less routine that at the office. They made a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 131July 19, 2020 10:06 PM

R109 Manchester is a pretty big city, even the City Centre has good and bad areas. Your friend should have chosen a better bar/club to take you to.

The violence in the UK isn't unpredictable if you are a Brit, you can usually see it coming a mile away. We also generally know the bars to avoid and specifically when to avoid them, local soccer match days are usually something to watch for if you are a tourist.

by Anonymousreply 132July 20, 2020 12:28 AM

R128, we've noticed

by Anonymousreply 133July 20, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote] The violence in the UK isn't unpredictable if you are a Brit

You must be one of those rough Brits R132.

by Anonymousreply 134July 20, 2020 12:33 AM

We call it 'Streetwise', you should always know where the nearest Taxi (cab) rank is.

by Anonymousreply 135July 20, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote] We call it 'Streetwise', you should always know where the nearest Taxi (cab) rank is.

Rough trade R135.

by Anonymousreply 136July 20, 2020 12:40 AM

The american term would be street smarts. if you have lived in urban environments where crime is a possibility you instinctively keep an eye out casing your surroundings, stay cognizant about where you are walking.

by Anonymousreply 137July 20, 2020 12:51 AM

Looks guys, unless you are into risk, stay safe. Keeping an eye out; knowing where to get a cab: this stuff is b/s from fragile queens trying to sound butch who would be the first victims if they were out and about alone in these shithole districts.

by Anonymousreply 138July 20, 2020 12:54 AM

This thread can probably be closed now with the thought that R135 is a brittle queer.

by Anonymousreply 139July 20, 2020 12:55 AM

There was a documentary about Swansea that showed it as being quite trashy. It reminded me what the small Vancouver island town I grew up in used to be like. That part of Canada was largely settled by the English too.

by Anonymousreply 140July 20, 2020 1:48 AM

Swansea is in Wales, R140.

by Anonymousreply 141July 20, 2020 5:36 AM

My sister went to University at Swansea, and met her Arab boyfriend there. When they would go out together at night on Vine Street they would always get abuse shouted at them, racial and otherwise. My sister’s fella got glass thrown at him and all sorts. That said, he didn’t integrate as best he could and used to pick fights first with both the local white lads and the Chinese/Japanese immigrant students when he was drunk enough, as well....

As for the area itself, mixed bag. The beaches and the windswept hill walks in Swansea are gorgeous - the Gower in the particular is breathtaking. The gentrified boardwalk is also quite lovely, very idyllic if you’re into sand and beachside cafes; if you’re a watersports enthusiast you’ll be well pleased with the area too. The seafood restaurants are divine. Venturing away from the beach into the city proper is asking for it, though. One could argue also that factories surrounding that pump their shit into the sea somewhat ruin the experience.

by Anonymousreply 142July 20, 2020 10:43 AM

^^its Wind Street, of course. Autocorrect🙄

by Anonymousreply 143July 20, 2020 10:44 AM

Pretty much the whole North East of England.

But yes there are trashy vile people everywhere, even in the Home Counties!

by Anonymousreply 144July 20, 2020 12:33 PM

R128 what is this imposter??

by Anonymousreply 145July 20, 2020 12:35 PM

R144 one might even say especially in the Home Counties (vile vs trashy).

by Anonymousreply 146July 20, 2020 12:58 PM

Walford, London. Very high death rate, especially during the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 147July 20, 2020 1:04 PM

This looks like a nice, quiet area of London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 20, 2020 1:19 PM

Which part of UK is the poshest? West London?

by Anonymousreply 149July 20, 2020 1:22 PM

R149 There are “posh” parts of every area of London. These areas live side-by-side with “trashy” parts. It’s one of the things that makes London great. You can travel five or ten minutes in any direction and be in a nice area or a shit one.

There’s so much hate for London on DL that makes me wonder if those slagging it off have ever even been here.

by Anonymousreply 150July 20, 2020 1:27 PM

The randomness of knife violence can be frightening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 20, 2020 1:41 PM

I was walking through Covent Garden one night around ten when some kid charges me, throws me against a building and yells: give me a fucking cigarette!

Another time I was walking through central near Trafalgar Square late - one maybe - weeknight and I realized how dead London was. Taxis were scarce... it was dim... you could see people moving in the shadows of the square but it wasn't clear who or why. I felt very ill at ease. I had been going to London for twenty years and remember thinking you're an idiot... you think you know this place but here you are wandering around alone at one in the morning in one of the biggest cities in the world... that's inviting trouble. So I figured there had to be a taxi rank at a station and got my stupid ass to Charing Cross fast.

There is a lot of pent up anger and hostility in the UK... it boils over constantly. A friend who lives there said this is really third world country with a fresh coat of paint.

by Anonymousreply 152July 20, 2020 2:03 PM

My sense is it’s primarily alcohol based. With that said, not having guns makes it like playland compared to the US.

by Anonymousreply 153July 20, 2020 2:07 PM

British are basically all alcoholics by other countries' standard right?

by Anonymousreply 154July 20, 2020 2:12 PM

The entire dynamic is different, R153.

Violence in the US is split along clear lines: racial/economic/geographic

Once, walking in The City, I saw three men in suits and with briefcases, drunk and screaming with laughter, roughly shoving a much older man into the street and laughing when he fell. The equivalent in Wall Street simply would not occur. Violence in the UK is everywhere. Polo matches. Airport terminals. Art Galleries. Football games. Leave your house and some liquored-up cunt whose life isn't perfect may well decide to take a swing at you.

by Anonymousreply 155July 20, 2020 2:13 PM

Yeah, like I said, everyone being drunk 24/7 is an issue.

by Anonymousreply 156July 20, 2020 2:21 PM

In the US, if someone is screaming at you, it’s most likely that they’re psychotic and not receiving help. For the most part, despite all the ugly Karen and Kevin stuff on SM, in reality I enjoy walking around almost in any neighborhood and talking to people. I’m in New Orleans, land of “hey baby, watcha doin” and “hon, ya take it easy now, ya hear?”

by Anonymousreply 157July 20, 2020 3:17 PM

[quote]There is a lot of pent up anger and hostility in the UK... it boils over constantly.

Small country, densely populated, wealth divide ever greater, rich and poor often cheek by jowl, vile tabloids, deep Brexit fissures, lingering class system, best days behind us, drink culture. All the ugly anecdotes here ring true, but it's remarkable the boiling over is contained to the extent that it is.

by Anonymousreply 158July 20, 2020 6:37 PM

"Violence in the UK is everywhere. Polo matches. Airport terminals. Art Galleries. Football games. Leave your house and some liquored-up cunt whose life isn't perfect may well decide to take a swing at you."

Violence is everywhere in the US

by Anonymousreply 159July 20, 2020 6:50 PM

The Pizza Express in Woking

by Anonymousreply 160July 20, 2020 6:51 PM

r159 you don't risk getting the shit kicked out of you in random public places, or witnessing a brawl, in the US like you do in the UK. I've seen fistfights in the street in expensive London neighborhoods many times. You just don't see that kind of behavior on the Upper East Side or West Hollywood or similar places in the US.

by Anonymousreply 161July 20, 2020 6:53 PM

I dare you to find an art gallery brawl in the US R159.

by Anonymousreply 162July 20, 2020 6:53 PM

I’ve been to London, Manchester, York, Bath, Glasgow, several times in the past decade, I must be lucky because while I have encountered loud sloppy fall on your face drunks M & F at night in a few of these cities, I haven’t been roughed up or confronted like some of the posters here.

by Anonymousreply 163July 20, 2020 6:54 PM

R159 - yeah, bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 164July 20, 2020 6:55 PM

Americans are fat and sedated. We're cattle, bred to be docile with all the fight and fuck and drink and life beaten out of us. But we sure like antidepressants!

How about Somerset, specifically Shepton-Mallet?

by Anonymousreply 165July 20, 2020 6:55 PM

r164 - bullshit right back at you.

The UK doesn't have a different mass shooting every week

by Anonymousreply 166July 20, 2020 6:57 PM

No, you riff-raff just beat each other up on the sidewalk all fucking day long.

by Anonymousreply 167July 20, 2020 6:59 PM

Yes, because there's no "riff-raff" in the US

by Anonymousreply 168July 20, 2020 7:01 PM

Girls, girls- we're all terrible!

by Anonymousreply 169July 20, 2020 7:01 PM

There is plenty of riff-raff in the US. The point we are making is that US riff-raff tends to stay in its zone. In the UK, the riff-raff are free to wander - to hunt and feed - to mate, as other wild creatures do - and howl with each savage thrust. Post office - train station - nunnery - it matters not! And truly the behavior of UK riff-raff knows no class distinction. Why, the Prime Minister is famous for belonging to an exclusive club at university - did it host formal dances and croquet games and cognac tastings and string quintets? No! It drunkenly smashed up restaurants. Pip pip!

by Anonymousreply 170July 20, 2020 7:05 PM

The other thing might be that most British people aren't afraid of the Police becoming involved, in general they are very reasonable and are pretty loathe to arrest you for fighting.

We also have to deal with the police in other circumstances. If a sudden death occurs (even natural causes) your main point of contact with the Coroner will be a uniformed police officer (Coroner's Officer), who will do their best to help you.

They also get involved in lots of community projects, for the most part they're very pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 171July 20, 2020 7:08 PM

They attack you with hammers in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 172July 20, 2020 7:22 PM

Lol. The whole of the UK is trashy. That's why they ransacked older civilisations. They're the successful Vandals of the C17th to twentieth century.

by Anonymousreply 173July 20, 2020 7:28 PM

R171 That's the difference between police in the UK and US.

In the UK the police are there to help you. In the US they're there to fuck you up no matter what you've done.

by Anonymousreply 174July 20, 2020 7:29 PM

The UK

by Anonymousreply 175July 20, 2020 7:34 PM

All these exciting things that have happened to people! As a native who has been far from shy and retiring the worst that has ever happened to me was getting done on a deal for coke in Soho. I'm feeling a bit disappointed that I've missed out on all the action.

by Anonymousreply 176July 20, 2020 7:59 PM

R172, people have been attacked with hammers in the US

And in the US, cops kill thousands of people, fewer people in the UK are victims of police brutality

by Anonymousreply 177July 20, 2020 8:01 PM

We're not saying the US is safer, we're just saying the UK has a trashier style of violence.

by Anonymousreply 178July 20, 2020 8:08 PM

What's Belfast like?

by Anonymousreply 179July 20, 2020 8:57 PM

LOL, the UK is not trashier than the US

by Anonymousreply 180July 20, 2020 9:02 PM

LOL, that's not the point.

by Anonymousreply 181July 20, 2020 9:05 PM

R179 You probably wouldn't have liked it 30 years ago, but it's OK now.

Don't expect to understand a word that any of the locals say, they will understand you though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 20, 2020 9:08 PM

What's Ballymena, North Ireland like?

by Anonymousreply 183July 20, 2020 9:10 PM

There is a little bit of intimidation in large parts of the US - it’s very possible the other person is carrying a gun. It’s especially true in dangerous places - like Chicago. You really do think twice - even when drunk - in places where guns and shootings are prevalent. You don’t start shit with random people. Which seems to happen more in UK - drunk twenty somethings showing bravado. In parts of Chicago - or many violent places in US - people are aware a simple disagreement can escalate to shooting easily.

by Anonymousreply 184July 20, 2020 9:11 PM

Debatable R180. Look at the annual Aintree Ladies Day.

by Anonymousreply 185July 20, 2020 9:15 PM

Belfast has a dark, menacing undertone in my experience. Maybe it’s changed recently, but there was always the threat that the other person was part of the opposing gang (IRA/Unionist) that seems to inhibit interaction of any kind. You always had to be aware of whether it’s a Catholic or Protestant bar - and avoid any discussion. Except by the University, mich of the city felt very threatening. In general, a really lame scene - even the 1 or 2 gay bars were really unfriendly. No one chooses to be there was my sense.

by Anonymousreply 186July 20, 2020 9:15 PM

I just Googled Ballymena. Sounds horrible.

"Ballymena is the buckle in Northern Ireland's Bible belt, the seat of the Paisley family and a place that has been likened to 1960s Mississippi. It is rural, conservative, mainly born-again Christian and predominantly Protestant.."

by Anonymousreply 187July 20, 2020 9:21 PM

Fuck you DL for not letting me post images of shitty toilets for a Paisley family seat joke.

by Anonymousreply 188July 20, 2020 9:29 PM

I was also going to make joke about his book on the Revised English Bible as the work of the Antichrist, but then I looked at the bibliography on his wikipedia entry and realized he wrote similar books about at least three different translations. What a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 189July 20, 2020 9:31 PM

R182, I thought of going to art school in Belfast 30 years ago. I took a different path.

by Anonymousreply 190July 20, 2020 9:32 PM

Liam Neeson is from Ballymena

by Anonymousreply 191July 20, 2020 9:34 PM

I'd say the overworking R20 has Welsh (as in her "Taffys") ancestry but has a closer Merseyside connection and has never been to Ulster but made it to Glasgow twice. Certainly any Highlander would schiltron her off a cliff on sight.

by Anonymousreply 192July 20, 2020 9:43 PM

R74, having lived in Kensington, I agree. Headed to South Ken and despite the tourists that was much better.

But everything that attempts to compare the drunk bus-and-train riders in the UK to anything in the US is naive. The gun stuff notwithstanding. British people with a lack of education and hope just stagger around begging for a beating. But I feel fine anywhere all through the night in the streets anywhere in Greater London, and I wouldn't walk around the block after dark in my hometown in the US any more.

by Anonymousreply 193July 20, 2020 9:53 PM

Milton Keynes

by Anonymousreply 194July 20, 2020 10:04 PM

R185, but only after you put on these special protective goggles.

by Anonymousreply 195July 20, 2020 10:28 PM

R192 True I have Welsh agricultural roots - however did you know? You’re not doxxing or stalking me, are you? - but I’ve never spent any significant time in the North and haven’t any Northern blood as far as I know, either. Believe it or not, by design I’ve never been anywhere further North in England myself than Leicester. My intel about the so-called ‘Province of York’ comes second-hand from a Manc girlfriend I used to have in College (who turned out to be quite an awful wench, story for another time...)

If you want the full story I’m a third Taffy farming stock (Pembrokeshire extraction, if you must know), a third Three Counties (native and very proud), and a third Eastend scum in my unending secret shame thanks to my dear old Nan (I don’t tell people this off anon or in real life but my great-granddad was a Barrow-boy; can’t get much fucking worse than that, can you?)

As for our neighbours, I have paid visits to both on business. It wasn’t for long in either case, for obvious reasons if you read the rest of the thread. Scotland in particular is fascinating and culturally lush, but also absolutely fucking terrifying if you’re English. I have a respect for both nations at a distance, provided no-one threatens to run me off a cliff with pike & poleaxe ever again (not the done thing, in my country).

You’re welcome for the laugh, as well. Glad my original post in all its levity wasn’t received with any faces like a slapped arse..

by Anonymousreply 196July 20, 2020 11:26 PM

[quote]What's Belfast like?

I visited Belfast several years ago. I could've got down on my hands and knees and kissed the ground that my great-grandparents got on that fucking boat and GTFO of there to go to America. My great-grandmother lived for 60 years after leaving Belfast and never returned. After being there, I completely understood why.

by Anonymousreply 197July 20, 2020 11:58 PM

The only reason that Belfast has a steadily increasing population is because of the Catholic contraception rules and because abortion was banned until it was eventually imposed by Westminster (UK Government).

Everyone else gets the fuck out of there.

by Anonymousreply 198July 21, 2020 12:51 AM

R190 The bullets and the bombs' discouraged a lot of art students 30 years ago

by Anonymousreply 199July 21, 2020 1:00 AM

How do Scousers rate?

by Anonymousreply 200July 21, 2020 1:15 AM

Buckingham Palace

by Anonymousreply 201July 21, 2020 1:57 AM

It is best not to go out after dark in the UK. In the winter it meant coming home from work after dark; the mornings weren't dangerous much. Never, ever go out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. If you have to go out of an evening then its Monday to Thursday only; you make sure how you get to and from your place of entertainment safely, preferably in a cab or your own car; it's best to invite friends to dinner/be invited to dinner with friends and avoid the whole public contact thing. That way you may be able to avoid the zombie-knife wielders, not to mention the acid attacks and the violent moped robberies.

by Anonymousreply 202July 21, 2020 2:06 AM

Oh do shut up, R202.

by Anonymousreply 203July 21, 2020 2:08 AM

Why would I shut up R203?

by Anonymousreply 204July 21, 2020 2:14 AM

Because you're making a fool of yourself by widening the occurrence of moped robberies from the couple of square miles where it actually happens to the entire country, suggesting acid attacks (which occur at a rate of 600 in 65,500,000) is actually a common event, and asserting that knife crime (which is mostly connected to gang warfare) is something a tourist is likely to be exposed to.

by Anonymousreply 205July 21, 2020 2:25 AM

In any event, most Britons are too drunk to wield knives properly. Most of the time you can get away with superficial wounds only.

by Anonymousreply 206July 21, 2020 2:28 AM

I lived there for far too long, and survived: take my advice at R202.

by Anonymousreply 207July 21, 2020 2:31 AM

My favorite take on American violence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208July 21, 2020 2:34 AM

Hull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209July 21, 2020 2:34 AM

R209 I had the misfortune to be in Hull, in a pub, when some moron asked for a gin and tonic. The barmaid first pretended she couldn't understand his accent, but then got him a gin and tonic. The other 'patrons' who were all men (only female whores go into pubs in Hull) were wasted, I assume on the tenth of the daily twelfth pint of beer (bitter) and didn't notice the gin and tonic 'incident' or it could have turned nasty. The UK government uses beer and liquor as the opium of the masses and taxes beer and liquor UP TO THE HILT; so the electorate is pacified while the govt makes money, lots.

by Anonymousreply 210July 21, 2020 2:43 AM

St. Mary Mead

by Anonymousreply 211July 21, 2020 3:17 AM

A bottle of Scotch costs more in Scotland than in GA (or Italy).

by Anonymousreply 212July 21, 2020 3:21 AM

All UK citizens are scroungers.

by Anonymousreply 213July 21, 2020 3:26 AM

Scrubbers!!!

by Anonymousreply 214July 21, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote] All UK citizens are scroungers.

That's true and the US is going in that direction.

by Anonymousreply 215July 21, 2020 3:38 AM

Frogmore Cottage.

by Anonymousreply 216July 21, 2020 7:24 AM

Wherever Owen Jones is at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 217July 21, 2020 7:31 AM

R200, you gotta watch your wallets with Scousers

by Anonymousreply 218July 21, 2020 9:22 AM

R213 you can say that again, darlin’.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 21, 2020 10:48 AM

Visiting the UK, I once visited friends who were living in Bethnal Green. We got the train and walked to their apartment block. It was rough. I was fucking terrified. So terrified that I actually clutched my satchel bag. I've never seen anything else as bad.

by Anonymousreply 220July 21, 2020 11:07 AM

R220 Was this fifty years ago? Bethnal Green is one of the most gentrified areas of London.

by Anonymousreply 221July 21, 2020 11:17 AM

R20 / R196, I think I love you. Are you hetero?

by Anonymousreply 222July 21, 2020 11:20 AM

Is this just a trash-fest or can some nuanced thoughts barge in?

Have any of you seen "Of Time and the City", Terrence Davies' paean to Liverpool, where he was born and grew up in the 1930s-1950s? It's 2008 and it's the contradictory yet somehow coherent feelings of love for the city he grew up in, in all its grime and poverty - a young gay boy growing up Catholic in Liverpool (which has a beautiful Catholic cathedral). The footage of ordinary people living in those council houses is extraordinary as is the narration (Davies himself) and the score.

I bring it up because it adds some depth to the "trashy" and "shithole" narratives here. Britain has always been home, as Davies points out, to some of the worst slums in Europe, and that has been true for far longer than most Americans stuck in Jane Austen's and Miss Marple's St. Mary Meade environs realise.

Davies' documentary shows that despite the poverty there was a sense of community and values at work that bound the inhabitants together and to place. You see the women scrubbing the front steps of the council houses, the little girls going off to school in clean clothes and hair ribbons, the bank holiday crowds . . .

The film points out that the sense of community that informed many of those places (the Tyneside is another example) is something that the postwar era drained out of those places. Davies stayed on in the city he loved until the late 1960s, when he finally realised that that "place" was gone, and you see how the modern cinderblock towers covered in graffiti with broken elevators that replaced the old council houses that still howed carved lintels and other work on them, and that allowed for a stronger "street" community.

The post war era did for Britain - and it wasn't the loss of empire, it was the loss of identity. The swingin' sixties covered that up for awhile, but the rot was in.

Not every place does well with modernity and change. I won't say "none" - from what I can see, Newcastle is in better shape re extreme poverty and disease than it was in the 1950s.

But other places lost what made them feel as if they belonged to something and they loved it with its imperfections - and just got left with the imperfections. Cornwall, for all its poverty, retains the sense of a shared belonging and identity - Cornwall in fact has some special status - not quite Wales but not quite England, either.

Essex, Bradford, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Luton, Rochdale - lost something after WWII that counterbalanced poverty.

For a look at how and why someone once loved places like this - when they were just as poor but not "trashy", Davies' documentary is a must see.

As for London: Samuel Johnson famously said "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life."

That was true until, in my view about 1985. It no longer is.

The loss of national soul and identity afflicts all of Britain these days - it just shows more in Rochdale than in Mayfair, or in immigrant enclaves where Somalis, Nigerians, Muslims generally, etc., have something additional to identify with.

It is no accident that white working class boys are doing the worst both academically and socially of any youth group in Britain.

Hence those revolting chavs on the trains you saw.

You get rather a different view of those "chavs" in films of the 1950s and 1960s - Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Billy Liar . . .

Now, it's Trainspotting.

Sic transit gloria.

by Anonymousreply 223July 21, 2020 12:06 PM

^*The film was made in 2008 (not "it is" 2008)

It won a slew of awards, as well.

by Anonymousreply 224July 21, 2020 12:10 PM

R222 I am one among the beleaguered class of Lesbian, my love. Sorry!

Plus given my lowly background I’m not exactly a prize catch, even for a Lavender marriage. It would all get a bit My Fair Lady.

Are there really no nobbers from Kensington or Surrey or the Cotswolds hanging about here, anymore? It feels like all the British posters left on the board are either lower-middle-class English or Irish.

by Anonymousreply 225July 21, 2020 12:20 PM

R225 We're too busy heading into London for the next BLM demonstration to post here.

by Anonymousreply 226July 21, 2020 12:46 PM

Where is the house they show as the residence of Hyacinth and Richard Bucket?

by Anonymousreply 227July 21, 2020 1:19 PM

I would be a lesbian with [R225] She’s a clever one. Too bad there’s the Atlantic in the way!

by Anonymousreply 228July 21, 2020 3:01 PM

What about New Glockenshire??

by Anonymousreply 229July 21, 2020 3:13 PM

The Buckets live in Surbiton.

by Anonymousreply 230July 21, 2020 3:50 PM

Finsbury Park

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231July 21, 2020 6:27 PM

Kensington and Chelsea, Belgravia, Mayfair, Knightsbridge in London. Full of ruthless, shady, immoral rich people. Russian oligarchs buying up houses on Eaton Square.

by Anonymousreply 232July 21, 2020 6:36 PM

The usa and the uk both need to quit selling real estate to foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 233July 21, 2020 6:40 PM

Vivien Leigh lived on Eaton Square, before the Russians got there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234July 21, 2020 7:01 PM

Let Kerry and Kurtan be your guides!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235July 21, 2020 7:10 PM

[quote]The Buckets live in Surbiton.

Surbiton seems like it's in the London area. I got the impression they lived in a completely different part of the country, since they never refer to going to London.

by Anonymousreply 236July 21, 2020 7:19 PM

"Exterior shots around Hyacinth's house were recorded at 117 Heather Road in the village of Binley Woods, Warwickshire, east of Coventry. Exterior shots around Daisy's and Onslow's council terrace were taken in Stoke Aldermoor in Coventry."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 21, 2020 7:38 PM

The trashiest part of the UK?

Wherever a member of the Trump family is visiting...

by Anonymousreply 238July 21, 2020 7:58 PM

So, R238, Boris Johnson's sweet, sweet mouth?

by Anonymousreply 239July 21, 2020 8:02 PM

R230 Surbiton was 'The Good Life' which was about a couple using their suburban home to become self sufficient. The real stars of it were their next door neighbours Margo & Jerry Leadbetter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240July 21, 2020 8:06 PM

Midsomer looks like a charming place to live, except for the high rate of murder there.

by Anonymousreply 241July 21, 2020 8:26 PM

What's Burnley like? That's the only football team I follow, er, support.

by Anonymousreply 242July 21, 2020 8:26 PM

Ah, 'The Good Life', such fond memories. Dame Penelope Keith as Margo... she had some outfits!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 21, 2020 8:27 PM

Margo the imperious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 21, 2020 8:29 PM

For years I was convinced that Penelope Keith was actually a man in drag.

by Anonymousreply 245July 21, 2020 8:31 PM

When I think of my time in Liverpool, I think of the excessive use of the word cunt, drinking, spitting, kicking, more drinking, more fighting. And these were just the ladies. English roses, my ass!

by Anonymousreply 246July 21, 2020 8:34 PM

[quote] For years I was convinced that Penelope Keith was actually a man in drag.

Albin !

by Anonymousreply 247July 21, 2020 8:38 PM

R242 The Pakistani community seem to like Burnley, the only place in Lancashire they like better is Blackburn.

by Anonymousreply 248July 21, 2020 8:39 PM

[quote] Would most consider Onslow and Daisy trash? They seem educated, always reading in bed. Just poor. Rose on the other hand.

I've been rewatching Keeping Up Appearances lately and noticed that in one episode Onslow was reading a book called Principles of Condensed Matter Physics. In the same episode Hyacinth's husband Richard was reading Barbara Vine's No Night Is Too Long which, as many of us know, is a gay mystery novel.

And yes, Daisy and Onslow most definitely were trash.

by Anonymousreply 249July 21, 2020 8:41 PM

Rochdale Lancs

by Anonymousreply 250July 21, 2020 8:45 PM

R242 The Proposed new Mosque in Burnley looks impressive, much better than the 3 they currently have in the town. I think they've started building now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251July 21, 2020 8:52 PM

R250 Rochdale became part of Greater Manchester in 1974 as part of the 1972 Local Government Act, it doesn't count as Lancashire now.

It's not improved it it any way though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252July 21, 2020 9:04 PM

R249 Daisy was always reading Harlequin-type love novels.

by Anonymousreply 253July 21, 2020 9:15 PM

Let's not forget Slough, filling people with despair since at least 1937.

"Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough! It isn’t fit for humans now, There isn’t grass to graze a cow. Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens Those air -conditioned, bright canteens, Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans, Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town- A house for ninety-seven down And once a week a half a crown For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin Who’ll always cheat and always win, Who washes his repulsive skin In women’s tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak And smash his hands so used to stroke And stop his boring dirty joke And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add The profits of the stinking cad; It’s not their fault that they are mad, They’ve tasted Hell.

It’s not their fault they do not know The birdsong from the radio, It’s not their fault they often go To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars In various bogus-Tudor bars And daren’t look up and see the stars But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care Their wives frizz out peroxide hair And dry it in synthetic air And paint their nails.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254July 21, 2020 9:31 PM

Rochdale, Manchester ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255July 21, 2020 9:34 PM

"My sense is it’s primarily alcohol based. With that said, not having guns makes it like playland compared to the US. "

Not really. For all the guns, all the bars and late bar hours, even all the mass shootings - shootings when people are simply out for the night are very rare - even where there's a lot of drunk people. You'd think the prevalence of guns would lead to all sorts of drunken confrontations ending in gunfire, but it really doesn't. Guns obviously make street crime more dangerous, but that can largely (if not completely) be avoided by staying out of known bad areas.

by Anonymousreply 256July 21, 2020 9:35 PM

R254: I just finished a rewatch of Season 1 of The Office UK, and Ricky Gervais reads Betjeman's poem at the end and slags it off. (The series still holds up and is *much* cringier than the US version.)

by Anonymousreply 257July 21, 2020 9:37 PM

Acid, knives and hammers versus guns.

by Anonymousreply 258July 21, 2020 9:39 PM

Someone mentioned Folkestone upthread. The West part of Folkestone is very pleasant, including Baden Powell's old house and the Leas. Folkestone Harbour (sic) is best avoided, like a lot of harbors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259July 21, 2020 9:42 PM

The only reason that the Acid and Knife crimes get reported in the press is because they are pretty rare.

Not sure where the hammer thing comes from? That would be exceptionally rare and likely linked to gang wars.

I've never been mugged or attacked in over 50 years living in Manchester and neither has any member of my extended and large family.

by Anonymousreply 260July 21, 2020 9:45 PM

R260 is Ronnie Kray.

by Anonymousreply 261July 21, 2020 9:48 PM

[quote]The usa and the uk both need to quit selling real estate to foreigners

Nah. Politicians are only concerned with the almighty buck. They want to help any and every Third World dictator who is looking for a place to invest his ill-gotten millions.

by Anonymousreply 262July 21, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote] The usa and the uk both need to quit selling real estate to foreigners

Don't forget the UK govt still charges Stamp Duty on real estate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263July 21, 2020 9:54 PM

What's a Croydon Facelift?

by Anonymousreply 264July 21, 2020 9:56 PM

Coventry is where The Buckets (IT'S PRONOUNCED BOOKAY!) live.

by Anonymousreply 265July 21, 2020 9:56 PM

[quote] What's a Croydon Facelift?

Ask Posh.

by Anonymousreply 266July 21, 2020 9:57 PM

Hull as a "World Capital of Miserabilism" was confirmed by poet Philip Larkin's long-standing residence there (1955-85).

by Anonymousreply 267July 21, 2020 9:58 PM

R261 Being a member of one of the criminal families here would make you a target rather than protect you.

by Anonymousreply 268July 21, 2020 10:01 PM

I think Def Leppard is from Hull. I remember Joe Elliot talking about how much they desperately wanted to get out.

by Anonymousreply 269July 21, 2020 10:08 PM

My mistake, Def Leppard is from Sheffield. But, he still talked about wanting to get out.

by Anonymousreply 270July 21, 2020 10:10 PM

A lot of the seaside towns are pretty grim these days. They send a lot of people who are on benefits to live there. Hastings was pretty nasty last time I was there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271July 21, 2020 10:10 PM

Here you go, OP. You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272July 21, 2020 10:11 PM

Hastings # 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 21, 2020 10:12 PM

Hastings # 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274July 21, 2020 10:13 PM

But they live much better than they did 50 years ago

Balsall Heath, Birmingham.1969

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275July 21, 2020 10:15 PM

Shepherd's Bush, London W12 - never gets better however much the houses on the side streets cost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276July 21, 2020 10:20 PM

[quote] from R272's link "Police Scotland figures are published separately by the Scottish government and aren't directly comparable with the Home Office statistics."

Even The Scum is scared of reporting the terrifyingly violent figures for Scotland lol!

by Anonymousreply 277July 21, 2020 10:31 PM

Funny how coastal ("seaside") towns in the UK are dumpy and full of trashy people. In the US, coastal towns are top-dollar and only well-off people can afford to live there.

by Anonymousreply 278July 21, 2020 10:35 PM

R275's pic is pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 279July 21, 2020 10:40 PM

R276 Edina lived in Shepherd's Bush but she called it Holland Park (next subway stop along, different world).

by Anonymousreply 280July 21, 2020 10:41 PM

That's true, R278.

But, there must be trashy coastal towns somewhere in the US, even if your point is largely true. Somewhere on the Gulf Coast, some random place in Maine? Good trivia question - what's a trashy American seaside town?

by Anonymousreply 281July 21, 2020 10:42 PM

[R278] I have often wondered about that.

R281, I would say that Atlantic City, some of the NC and DE beaches and much of the Texas Coast is pretty trashy. And there are the industrial and military port areas. But they are exceptions. Most of the US coastline is either protected or seen as desirable or fashionable. Some of the old resort communities are among the nicest places in the US. Old resorts in the UK are invariably horrible. I assume the proximity of Europe made traveling there easier for upper-income Brits and the UK coastline was left to their social inferiors.

by Anonymousreply 282July 21, 2020 10:45 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283July 21, 2020 10:48 PM

The other reason that British people aren't keen on living on the East and West coasts is our 9 month long winters (and not much better summers).

You would have to tolerate Gale force winds and Torrential rain for a large part of the year. It's fine to have a house for summer on the coast, but living there year round would make you suicidal.

by Anonymousreply 284July 21, 2020 11:00 PM

The weather's so awful in England who wants to live near a cold grey sea all year round?

by Anonymousreply 285July 21, 2020 11:00 PM

I've been to some pretty awful and depressing coastal communities near NYC. But they do have long hot summers.

by Anonymousreply 286July 21, 2020 11:05 PM

Mar-a-Lago is quite trashy these days, lots of Atlantic City types there now.

by Anonymousreply 287July 21, 2020 11:07 PM

Pic didn't post, This would be your life for three quarters of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288July 21, 2020 11:10 PM

Oh, to be in England now that summer is here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289July 21, 2020 11:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290July 21, 2020 11:15 PM

Or it could snow for a bit of variety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291July 21, 2020 11:18 PM

I've been to some pretty grim seaside towns in the North of France.

I think they were so battered in WWII and weren't rebuilt with any thought or love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292July 21, 2020 11:20 PM

[quote]Or it could snow for a bit of variety.

Rarely even that, girlfriend. A bit of icy cold slush every 5 years

by Anonymousreply 293July 21, 2020 11:21 PM

I think the New England Coast can look quite bleak in the winter, but it is still beautiful. The Pacific Northwest is often stormy, and that's also one of the loveliest areas in the country.

Speaking to an above poster's questions, I can't think of anywhere in Maine's coast that I would call "trashy." "Blue-collar," sure. But the behavior you see at a place like Blackpool is not a Maine thing.

by Anonymousreply 294July 21, 2020 11:24 PM

I've been posting pics of Blackpool not Margate, Blackpool gets snow and gales every year.

by Anonymousreply 295July 21, 2020 11:24 PM

yes, the poor scots on the gardening shows last week were wearing jackets.

by Anonymousreply 296July 21, 2020 11:26 PM

R294, I guess I didn't mean "trashy" in the sense of personal behavior. I mean in terms of the coastal town being rundown and dumpy, lack of amenities, not a nice place. As has been noted, most places on the coast in the U.S. are desirable.

by Anonymousreply 297July 21, 2020 11:26 PM

There must be some places in Maine, R297, but it's been such a middle and upper class destination for so long, it's hard to think of one on the coast itself that's actually a Class A dump as opposed to "a bit sleepy and weathered".

by Anonymousreply 298July 21, 2020 11:29 PM

I really missed America last time I went to the Isle of Wight which is supposed to be so nice. The equivalent in the USA would be so much more stylish, in terms of shops and eateries and lodgings...as I kept reminding my BF.

& I don't like Cornwall neaalry as much as most people seem to.

by Anonymousreply 299July 21, 2020 11:32 PM

r73s list is funny but not very helpful because it tells you the bad with key cities but not the good. Where should gays go?

by Anonymousreply 300July 21, 2020 11:33 PM

The other thing might be that British people don't go on vacation in The UK any longer on the whole, so the coastal Towns don't really get much investment. I've only ever seen the coast of England from a plane window for the past 40+ years.

We sort of killed these places off ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 301July 21, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote]The other thing might be that British people don't go on vacation in The UK any longer on the whole, so the coastal Towns don't really get much investment.

You're right.

My grandparents used to go to a fancy hotel in Bournemouth since the end of WWII. But it had to shut down eventually because everyone went abroad. They built a block of flats on the site and named it after the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 302July 21, 2020 11:43 PM

R288 is Blackpool

by Anonymousreply 303July 21, 2020 11:49 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304July 21, 2020 11:49 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305July 21, 2020 11:58 PM

At one point last year London had a higher murder rate than New York City. I remember reading about it, though I don't know whether that lasted the whole year or just that part of it(I think it was up to March or April). Crime has taken a large upturn in the last few months in New York City but even without guns London was pretty violent.

by Anonymousreply 306July 21, 2020 11:58 PM

R302 It's also the journey times within the UK that discourage you from visiting even the nice places. It takes 6 to 7 hours to drive from Manchester to Hayle in Cornwall (if you are lucky with traffic, 8 hours by train). I can be in Italy or Greece faster and get better and cheaper accommodation, with pretty much guaranteed nice weather.

by Anonymousreply 307July 22, 2020 12:04 AM

R307 The UK makes me laugh with their "travel times" In the US most people don't bat an eye for a 6 hour road trip. May not be something they want to do every week, but it's not exactly considered a hindrance to going on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 308July 22, 2020 12:13 AM

Seriously, r308. Americans drive six hours for a long weekend trip.

by Anonymousreply 309July 22, 2020 12:15 AM

[quote]Seriously, [R308]. Americans drive six hours for a long weekend trip.

Those gurls is NUTZ!

by Anonymousreply 310July 22, 2020 12:18 AM

croydon facelift

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311July 22, 2020 12:28 AM

R308 You can't travel to Puglia in Southern Italy (or lots of other warm European Countries) in under 3 hours for less than $150 return, we can. It seems like a lot of effort to us when the weather might be terrible when you arrive. See grim UK up thread..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312July 22, 2020 12:39 AM

R309, right? I've done it numerous times and longer. The drive itself can be interesting and it's cheaper than flying so. I have a 70 year old Uncle who still regularly drives to North Carolina from the NYC area(let's hope that doesn't continue for much longer, maybe it won't with the COVID travel restrictions). I believe UK roadways are not as optimized for long trips but still 6 or 7 hours a couple times a year? Especially with all that vacation time they get in the UK, they can fly to Greece for a week and still have plenty of time left over to take a 7 hour drive to the coast of the UK at some other time of the year with some days left over to "recover" from that terribly awful loooooong drive. :D

by Anonymousreply 313July 22, 2020 12:43 AM

Does fuel cost $9-10 a gallon in the US? Add that in as a minus.

It's obviously cheaper than normal here at the moment, flying is way less expensive.

by Anonymousreply 314July 22, 2020 12:49 AM

R305 Nice video, but that isn't 40 years ago (1980) it's more like 60-70 (late 50's, early 60's).

The clothes and hairstyles are a big giveaway, if it'd been 1980 the women would have had a 'Purdey/Farrah' Hairstyle and shoulder pads under their aprons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315July 22, 2020 1:21 AM

That's really got nothing to do with it, I've seen people from the UK whining about it taking an hour to go see their parents so they only do it twice a year(I'm sure it's an excuse to not see their parents more than anything LOL) because it's such a long trip . But as has been discussed up thread(in light of the topic of the thread), people in the UK don't seem to have a problem with drinking.

First off UK gas prices averaged around $6.15 per gallon as of the end of 2019 and about half of that is taxes and tariffs. A cheap bottle of wine that costs 5 pounds is about half tax and duties. (Thus a gallon of gas and a bottle of cheap wine are similar in cost). So basically many people in the UK people would rather get drunk in the gutter every weekend than take a drive a couple times a year to locations within their own country which could be quite nice if they had more visitors(earning more money and thus inciting more investment for nicer hotels and amenities) and then complain about how rundown and disgusting those places are so why should they bother going? Not really judging, we all do that in our own countries for various things, that just happens to be the UK's thing. And with all that drinking it's probably a good thing they aren't driving more. :D

by Anonymousreply 316July 22, 2020 1:26 AM

R316 It pisses down (rains) here unpredictably all of the year round.

If I want to see my Mother I'd have to fly to Rhodes, she lives in Ialyssos. I live about an hour and a half (flight time) away in Lecce, Italy for half of the year. I like to spend summer in the UK usually (because it gets too hot there), but got trapped here in March due to Covid (long story).

My point initially was the same as yours, British people destroyed their own coastal towns, but it needs central government investment to rescue them now. they are beyond help from tourists.

This isn't unique to the UK though, Bari in Italy which used to be a huge draw for Italians is also effectively abandoned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317July 22, 2020 1:54 AM

Did a britain roadtrip in 2016, many roadways are not nearly as efficient as US highways, it takes 1/2 a day to travel what in the US would be a quick 2 hour drive.

by Anonymousreply 318July 22, 2020 2:04 AM

That's because half of the the roads follow track that are centuries old, some of the millennia designed by The Romans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319July 22, 2020 2:12 AM

I loved Glasgow when I visited...but it can be a rough place. Has anyone heard of a Glasgow Smile? Actor Tommy Flanagan has one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320July 22, 2020 2:31 AM

I didn't see a boardwalk in Swansea.

by Anonymousreply 321July 22, 2020 2:52 AM

I enjoyed this thread immensely - and learned a lot.

by Anonymousreply 322July 22, 2020 4:54 AM

Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Igor Shuvalov owns two apartments in No. 4 Whitehall Court, London worth 11.4 million British pounds. His official annual income is 112,000 pounds. He would have to work 76 years, without spending any money, to save enough to afford these apartments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323July 22, 2020 5:19 AM

[quote]Good trivia question - what's a trashy American seaside town?

Myrtle Beach

Atlantic City

Wildwood (NJ)

Imperial Beach (CA)

by Anonymousreply 324July 22, 2020 5:20 AM

Russian oligarch Andrey Goncharenko paid 15 million British pounds for 102 Eaton Square, London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 22, 2020 5:21 AM

Plenty of shady people in the most expensive neighbourhoods of London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326July 22, 2020 5:22 AM

r325 at least someone with money is saving these old places. Politics is supposed to be a passive hobby not a lifetime career. It's perfectly acceptable for a politician to have their own money outside of a government salary. At least it's an actual European dropping millions in London for once.

by Anonymousreply 327July 22, 2020 5:24 AM

I never think of Russia as belonging to a continent - Europe or Asia. Just seems like completely it's own thing - and is big enough to be so.

by Anonymousreply 328July 22, 2020 5:30 AM

R327, you do realise that Russia is a kleptocracy, don't you? Whitehall Court and Eaton Square are highly desirable real estate. There's no danger of buildings in these neighbourhoods falling into disrepair. They will always find buyers. The prices would just be less inflated without Russian oligarchs. There are at least 35,000 properties in London which have suspicious foreign owners.

You must be a Russian troll. Next thing you're going to tell me Putin made his money honestly.

by Anonymousreply 329July 22, 2020 5:32 AM

[quote]Funny how coastal ("seaside") towns in the UK are dumpy and full of trashy people.

Some are, some aren't. Aldeburgh, Southwold, Whitstable and Deal among others are sought-after venues for second-homers. Or quality-of-life first-homers. Not all of whom are trashy.

by Anonymousreply 330July 22, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote]R325 at least someone with money is saving these old places. Politics is supposed to be a passive hobby not a lifetime career. It's perfectly acceptable for a politician to have their own money outside of a government salary. At least it's an actual European dropping millions in London for once.

Shuvalov may very well have been asked by Putin to hide millions of ill-gotten dollars by buying the two apartments at Whitehall Court.

by Anonymousreply 331July 22, 2020 5:37 AM

I’d have to say Bradfield, West Yorks., a town in which pretty much everyone has been murdered by serial killers.

by Anonymousreply 332July 22, 2020 5:39 AM

Probably the Wandsworth section of London. I remember going home with a guy who lived there and getting fucked doggystyle and on my back with my legs on the guy’s shoulders. Anyways, the Borough is a shithole from what I saw. Never went back after that night.

by Anonymousreply 333July 22, 2020 5:51 AM

[quote] I remember going home with a guy who lived there and getting fucked doggystyle and on my back with my legs on the guy’s shoulders.

Hawt

by Anonymousreply 334July 22, 2020 6:24 AM

Note on that map that one of the poorest areas in Europe let alone Britain, Cornwall, has close to the least crime.

by Anonymousreply 335July 22, 2020 11:30 AM

Wherever those revolting child rapist and murderers The West’s lived. Wherever the Child killing Moors Murderers lived.

by Anonymousreply 336July 22, 2020 12:28 PM

Don't forget me!

by Anonymousreply 337July 22, 2020 12:50 PM

So I guess the Brits have missed out on the long family summer roadtrips that are a part of American culture? That's sad. As much as we used bitch and moan, I have fond memories of scrapping with siblings in the back of the car while dad piloted the Ford Country Squire with faux wood paneling and mom trying to deliver backhanded slaps from the front seat on those epic roadtrips.

by Anonymousreply 338July 22, 2020 1:10 PM

^^sounds like Hell on Earth.

We Brits don’t like our families that much. We have exasperated loving loyalty to them, but that’s not enough to keep the peace driving cross-country for days.

by Anonymousreply 339July 22, 2020 1:34 PM

We also went on long car journeys...to the continent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340July 22, 2020 1:40 PM

snogging in dingy alleyways is just a part of British courtship tbh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341July 22, 2020 1:41 PM

I wouldn't trade my car trips for anything. I saw a lot America that way. National parks, old style motor court motels, roadside attractions....

by Anonymousreply 342July 22, 2020 1:48 PM

And the radio in those days, gurl...if you mean the 70s. I used to go a lot in the 70s. The radio was so good you often didn't want to get out of the car sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 343July 22, 2020 1:51 PM

I even remember going into Mexico by car. Back when it was far safer than now. Dad would pay a kid a dollar to look after the car while we wandered around.

by Anonymousreply 344July 22, 2020 1:52 PM

R81 R82 I live just outside Portsmouth, but if anyone asks me where I live I say Hampshire as no one wants to admit to living in 'Pompey'. It's a northern town on the south coast of England due to the influx of naval personnel from the north making it their home. However, if you want real grime, try Gosport!

by Anonymousreply 345July 22, 2020 1:59 PM

Before air travel became so cheap, we'd have long family car journeys to Ireland or France. They just don't make sense any more since you can now fly to those destinations in an hour for much less.

by Anonymousreply 346July 22, 2020 2:16 PM

I recently did a multi-state road trip and have the road trip bug again and gas is cheap. Plus, I loathe air travel and all the hassle now associated with it.

by Anonymousreply 347July 22, 2020 2:56 PM

Atlantic City is really the only seaside town that is comparable to British trashy seaside towns. I guess because it’s one of the oldest commercially developed Seaside towns in the US. Very similar history to the British seaside towns. Wildwood and Myrtle Beach are trashy - but far better than British versions with million dollar homes and relatively low crime.

by Anonymousreply 348July 22, 2020 3:27 PM

Atlantic City is trashy because of the casinos and the mob. It was never "high-class" but the old hotels were pretty spectacular and could have been retained/restored as family-oriented resorts. Another thing Trumpy-Dumpy and his trashy friends destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 349July 22, 2020 3:35 PM

I don't even have a car here in USA.

by Anonymousreply 350July 22, 2020 5:47 PM

Is Butlins still a thing? It doesn't seem likely that anyone would go to a holiday camp anymore when flights to Spain and Greece are cheap.

As to the scurge of alcoholism they tried to inact minimum unit pricing a few years ago because supermarket booze was so cheap. I don't think it succeeded though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351July 22, 2020 6:49 PM

I believe they have min prices in Scotland. The prices were never cheap though, not with all the govt taxes on booze.

by Anonymousreply 352July 22, 2020 7:06 PM

The best parts of Britain are the ones inhabited by Muslims.

by Anonymousreply 353July 22, 2020 9:30 PM

This is r327. It's not that I'm pro-Russia, I just know that when you are selling a property the buyer rarely matters. If they are breaking the law then the UK government should intervene. I've heard about buyers from China, the middle east, and Russia buying up a ton of property around the world as a means of securing capital abroad and washing dirty money. The fact of the matter is that many westerners aren't willing to throw down the same amount of cash unless their last name is Bezos. It's hard to accept the ascendance of other regions but sadly this is the world we now reside in.

I also assume that these are ill gotten gains but the social structure that allowed Western nobles to build the grand homes in Europe and Gilded Age mansions in America involved human exploitation. When you get to be as rich as the people buying in these posh neighborhoods the line between good and bad gets blurred.

The fact that someone could afford to build such a place a time when there was no social safety net and people starved is proof that we are just trading out one group of corrupt fuckers for another group of corrupt fuckers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354July 22, 2020 9:34 PM

Which part of the UK has the most Muslims? Is it Birmingham/London? I LOVE multiculturalism.

by Anonymousreply 355July 22, 2020 11:19 PM

[quote]I've heard about buyers from China, the middle east, and Russia buying up a ton of property around the world as a means of securing capital abroad and washing dirty money.

NYC is full of this too.

by Anonymousreply 356July 22, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote] Which part of the UK has the most Muslims?

My anus.

by Anonymousreply 357July 22, 2020 11:47 PM

The Chinese aren't just buying real estate here in the UK, they are building it.

They own 90% of a new development of Apartment blocks that are being built close to Manchester City Centre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358July 22, 2020 11:50 PM

Disgusting that that's allowed r358. But all anyone cares about is $$$$.

by Anonymousreply 359July 22, 2020 11:57 PM

R355 London has the most, outside of that they seem to like places the begin with B. So Birmingham, Bradford, Burnley etc are next.

by Anonymousreply 360July 23, 2020 12:00 AM

How did so many end up in the UK r360. Do you have the world's most lax immigration policies outside of the US?

by Anonymousreply 361July 23, 2020 12:14 AM

Pakistan (and Bangladesh) were part of India until partition in 1947 and we needed workers after WWII. The old Countries of Empire that could speak some English were the obvious places to look. Lots of Indians also live here but they integrate better.

Our Black Caribbean population exist for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 362July 23, 2020 12:23 AM

Sounds very short sighted r362. But money tends to do that to "leaders".

by Anonymousreply 363July 23, 2020 12:27 AM

[quote]How did so many end up in the UK [R360]. Do you have the world's most lax immigration policies outside of the US?

I think so. There was an incredible rush arrival of women wearing the hijab suddenly about 5 years ago, maybe more, where I live in West Kensington (London)....which is a quite posh area.

They used to go to more "ghetto" type areas, new arrivals....but they're everywhere here. Yesterday I saw a few had moved into a very bijou little street of Victorian cottages. The council are probably paying their very high rent to live there, because these are not council style houses.

& the children's playground was all mothers in hijabs when I last walked by,

I saw some "walking in New York" footage and there were none or very few there.

You also see some who are incredibly primitive looking. Like you might expect to see in some souk in Morocco...even very old ladies. What will they contribute?

by Anonymousreply 364July 23, 2020 12:29 AM

I forgot to add that Uganda (under Idi Amin) forcibly expelled It's Southern Asian (Indian) population in 1972 and most of them were allowed to come to the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365July 23, 2020 12:30 AM

It was effectively Black African Racism.

by Anonymousreply 366July 23, 2020 12:41 AM

[quote]What will they contribute?

Nothing positive. Which is why it's insane to allow so many in.

by Anonymousreply 367July 23, 2020 12:50 AM

[quote]But all anyone cares about is $$$$.

I believe in the UK all they care about is ££££.

by Anonymousreply 368July 23, 2020 12:56 AM

R367 They don't contribute nothing, you can't live in the UK without contributing (20% VAT, Council Tax, Water, Utilities). The Welfare State is a ' Money Go Round', only time that it doesn't end up back in the system is if the large corporations like Amazon syphon it off.

Plus The NHS would collapse without Doctors from the Indian subcontinent, they are also very active in law (bit of a cliche I know).

by Anonymousreply 369July 23, 2020 1:07 AM

Blair increased the population by 3m immigrants on the basis that they would all vote for him. Big mistake him, the ones who came were self-selecting go-getters who were and remain largely Tories (Conservatives). Lots and lots came from Bangladesh. Three million in 10 years: that's an increase of 5% in the UK only via immigration; here in the US that would be an increase of 16.25m Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. Perhaps the economy would improve here; but once here they'd all vote Rethug.

by Anonymousreply 370July 23, 2020 1:53 AM

Many of them just live on benefits. Stupid to bring them all in, esp. with so much native Chav trash on the dole.

by Anonymousreply 371July 23, 2020 1:57 AM

[quote]This is [R327]. It's not that I'm pro-Russia, I just know that when you are selling a property the buyer rarely matters. If they are breaking the law then the UK government should intervene. I've heard about buyers from China, the middle east, and Russia buying up a ton of property around the world as a means of securing capital abroad and washing dirty money. The fact of the matter is that many westerners aren't willing to throw down the same amount of cash unless their last name is Bezos. It's hard to accept the ascendance of other regions but sadly this is the world we now reside in. I also assume that these are ill gotten gains but the social structure that allowed Western nobles to build the grand homes in Europe and Gilded Age mansions in America involved human exploitation. When you get to be as rich as the people buying in these posh neighborhoods the line between good and bad gets blurred. The fact that someone could afford to build such a place a time when there was no social safety net and people starved is proof that we are just trading out one group of corrupt fuckers for another group of corrupt fuckers.

Not necessarily. Very rich people in the West can be business people who invent useful technology, eg. Steve Jobs, extremely talented professional athletes, very successful movie stars whose movies make tons of money. They don't have to be morally bankrupt, although I am sure there are plenty of very rich business people who really exploit their employees.

Russia has more than its share of corruption. It's not a transparent society. You're not going to figure out how these people made their money. I've heard from the media that there was a time after the end of communism when the Russian press was free and independent but now it's come full circle and the media just spouts propaganda from the Russian government and can't be trusted.

Besides, when Russian oligarchs buy expensive homes in London, they know all the legal tricks and it's not always clear who the actual owner is.

Feudal societies make look expoitative to our eyes but it was the accepted social order for many centuries.

by Anonymousreply 372July 23, 2020 2:03 AM

[quote].... Gilded Age mansions in America involved human exploitation

Did Rockefeller exploit people or was he just a very clever businessman?

by Anonymousreply 373July 23, 2020 2:06 AM

Very few Brits would be buying at the Russian price point anyway

by Anonymousreply 374July 23, 2020 2:07 AM

[quote] native Chav trash on the dole ...

... often vote Conservative

by Anonymousreply 375July 23, 2020 2:08 AM

[quote] Did Rockefeller exploit people or was he just a very clever businessman?

He exploited people and so did his pal Flagler. Flagler was the cleverer businessman, as John D acknowledged.

by Anonymousreply 376July 23, 2020 2:10 AM

Sorry. Maybe I don't have enough knowledge but I really can't accept the leftist analysis that all rich people during the Gilded Age were robber barons. Surely when NYC was growing very rapidly, there were people who made good money off of real estate and didn't have to do anything underhanded.

by Anonymousreply 377July 23, 2020 2:18 AM

Excuse my ignorance but how exactly did Rockefeller exploit people?

by Anonymousreply 378July 23, 2020 2:24 AM

Rockefeller had workers who he exploited like Carnegie.

by Anonymousreply 379July 23, 2020 2:28 AM

If Rockefeller's workers weren't satisfied with the pay and working conditions, why didn't they go work somewhere else?

by Anonymousreply 380July 23, 2020 2:31 AM

[quote] Surely when NYC was growing very rapidly, there were people who made good money off of real estate and didn't have to do anything underhanded.

Landlords have always been rapacious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381July 23, 2020 2:31 AM

Yes. Yes. All rich people are crooks. I believe you.

by Anonymousreply 382July 23, 2020 2:34 AM

[quote]Landlords have always been rapacious

Please stay on topic, R381. I'm not talking about employers who forced their workers to work under unsafe conditions. I'm talking about people who knew how to make money when the city was growing rapidly and property values were increasing.

by Anonymousreply 383July 23, 2020 2:39 AM

Who the fuck are you R383, Muriel?

by Anonymousreply 384July 23, 2020 2:41 AM

No, I am not Muriel and I see nothing wrong with the statements I made at R383. You must be trolling, R384.

by Anonymousreply 385July 23, 2020 2:48 AM

R385 is Murna or for our more sensitive members Eriel.

by Anonymousreply 386July 23, 2020 2:49 AM

Nope, I'm just someone who doesn't believe that all very rich people are huge crooks and horrible people.

by Anonymousreply 387July 23, 2020 2:51 AM

Wealth is theft.

by Anonymousreply 388July 23, 2020 2:53 AM

Really. In what way are Taylor Swift and Tom Cruise stealing?

by Anonymousreply 389July 23, 2020 2:57 AM

Taylor Swift and Tom Cruise are frauds and in that way they are stealing.

by Anonymousreply 390July 23, 2020 3:01 AM

Lol, R390. You sure are grasping at straws.

by Anonymousreply 391July 23, 2020 3:03 AM

R388 types poor.

by Anonymousreply 392July 23, 2020 3:13 AM

All property is theft.

by Anonymousreply 393July 23, 2020 3:16 AM

Wiki says that Southwark, Lambeth, Hackney and Newham are the neighbourhoods with the most homicides in London.

by Anonymousreply 394July 23, 2020 5:45 AM

I'd love to visit all these places. I love trashy uncut dick. English dick is usually quite fat and juicy.

by Anonymousreply 395July 23, 2020 8:44 AM

R394 How many of these are black on black murder?

by Anonymousreply 396July 23, 2020 9:24 AM

I don't know the details, R396, but these are probably areas to avoid. I doubt they have much to offer to tourists.

by Anonymousreply 397July 23, 2020 2:43 PM

Sandringham

by Anonymousreply 398July 24, 2020 2:23 AM

Camilla's taint.

by Anonymousreply 399July 24, 2020 2:40 AM

R399 on a woman it's called a gooch. Taint is for men.

by Anonymousreply 400July 24, 2020 2:42 AM

Wherever golddigger Victoria Beckham is living.

by Anonymousreply 401July 24, 2020 4:58 AM

R401 Tasteful Friends?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402July 24, 2020 11:26 AM

[quote] I remember going home with a guy who lived there and getting fucked doggystyle and on my back with my legs on the guy’s shoulders. Anyways, the Borough is a shithole from what I saw.

Sounds like he saw a shithole aspect as well.

by Anonymousreply 403July 24, 2020 3:29 PM

R402 - I like the house. The people are godfuckingawful. That leg shot of her in the kitchen. Ewwww.

by Anonymousreply 404July 24, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote] The Beckhams often make their fans envious by sharing photos inside their £31million mansion in London

Where the fuck to they live in London that it costs £31m?

In R402's link she's pulled that mascara brush out David's behind and now the children are making a racket.

by Anonymousreply 405July 24, 2020 4:17 PM

I know 23 Holland Park was their home in London. I don't know if they still own it. The neighbours complained about the noise from the extensive renovations they did on that house.

by Anonymousreply 406July 24, 2020 4:26 PM

[quote] 23 Holland Park

That's Shepherd's Bush!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 407July 24, 2020 4:39 PM

Nope. The neighbourhood is Holland Park, close to the park itself and Notting Hill and Kensington. Shepherd's Bush is on the other side of A3220.

by Anonymousreply 408July 24, 2020 6:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409July 24, 2020 6:18 PM

It must be an expensive neighbourhood because there are embassies nearby. As far as I know, all the areas not far from Hyde Park are prime London real estate.

by Anonymousreply 410July 24, 2020 6:22 PM

I wonder why that silly video shows up instead of the article.

by Anonymousreply 411July 24, 2020 6:31 PM

[quote]I wonder why that silly video shows up instead of the article

That usually happens when you post Daily Mail links

by Anonymousreply 412July 24, 2020 6:34 PM

[quote] I wonder why that silly video shows up instead of the article.

That is because the host of this site, Muriel or Erna or some other dumb bitch, fucks up links to the Fail.

by Anonymousreply 413July 24, 2020 6:34 PM

[quote] They may have sold that house.

Thank house hasn't been sold in years. When you acquire that house, you first have to buy the shares in the offshore company which owns it. The house doesn't change hands; no Stamp Duty. All in the booklet darlings.

by Anonymousreply 414July 24, 2020 6:36 PM

That leg shot looks like something Patsy would have done in her Hello spread.

by Anonymousreply 415July 24, 2020 6:42 PM

I simply cannot understand why Beckham has been denied the Knighthood he so urgently craves.

by Anonymousreply 416July 24, 2020 6:46 PM

When the Queen said "I dub thee..." he yelled "I do my own fuckin' voice!"

by Anonymousreply 417July 24, 2020 6:50 PM

Beckham and those advising him screwed up: they were emailing one another setting out their charitable activities designed to secure Beckham got the K and that Posh became a Lady at last. The emails leaked; end of.

by Anonymousreply 418July 24, 2020 7:06 PM

Not only did the emails leak, but the would-be Knight was seen to refer to the Honours Committee as (from memory) 'A bunch of cunts.' I imagine it'll be quite a while before Lady Posh graces Society.

by Anonymousreply 419July 24, 2020 7:16 PM

Surely David has to spend a lot of money propping up his wife's businesses. I can't believe they actually make money on their own.

by Anonymousreply 420July 24, 2020 7:16 PM

If he said that R419 then he will probably never recover.

"he allegedly called the Honours Committee "unappreciative c****". "

Trashiest part of the UK? 23 Shepherd's Bush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421July 24, 2020 7:30 PM

So why did Beckham want a knighthood so bad? Its kind of a dying thing, no?

by Anonymousreply 422July 24, 2020 8:07 PM

R422 It's not dying at all, far from it.

by Anonymousreply 423July 24, 2020 8:08 PM

Yeah. And his career is dying.

by Anonymousreply 424July 24, 2020 8:08 PM

[quote]Where the fuck to they live in London that it costs £31m?

Oh please, R405. A 31 million pound house is obviously for poor people. There's a terraced house in Belgrave Square going for 75 million and another one in Mayfair for 67.5 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425July 24, 2020 8:09 PM

The prices are staggering R425. And London is such a dire shithole.

by Anonymousreply 426July 24, 2020 8:14 PM

Sketchy people from developing countries have to invest their embezzled millions / billions somewhere, R426. They call Eaton Square "Red Square" because of all the shady Russians who own property there.

by Anonymousreply 427July 24, 2020 8:20 PM

R50, in Oxford, Blackbird Leys

by Anonymousreply 428July 24, 2020 8:30 PM

Why is a knighthood such a big deal? It doesn't get you estates or money. In the old days the title could be handed down and establishing your family into the gentry, no?

by Anonymousreply 429July 24, 2020 8:51 PM

[quote] Why is a knighthood such a big deal?

Many Brits and a fair few Commonwealth types love that shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430July 24, 2020 8:56 PM

No, R429, knighthoods aren’t hereditary, although holders of hereditary baronetcies are addressed as “Sir”.

by Anonymousreply 431July 24, 2020 8:57 PM

Baronetcies? Isn't it just a barony?

by Anonymousreply 432July 24, 2020 9:08 PM

No, different R432.

The trashiest place is Brick Lane in London.

by Anonymousreply 433July 24, 2020 9:11 PM

Benefits Street

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434July 24, 2020 11:36 PM

R432 the baronetcies are hereditary knighthoods. The scheme was started by James I and VI.

The last one was created for Denis Thatcher in 1990; his son Mark inherited it in 2003.

The trashiest part of the UK must be Red Square, mentioned above, despite the high cost of property there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435July 24, 2020 11:52 PM

Okay. Thanks for the info, R435.

by Anonymousreply 436July 24, 2020 11:54 PM

[quote] What's the trashiest part of the UK?

It's up your 'arse' OP - is that spelt correctly?

by Anonymousreply 437July 25, 2020 2:33 AM

Walking around much of London these days, you're like "where are the British people?"

by Anonymousreply 438July 25, 2020 5:07 AM

Wherever Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew live. Both are trash.

by Anonymousreply 439July 25, 2020 5:26 AM

Edinburgh during the Fringe Festival. Our beautiful capital turns into a fucking hellhole for three weeks every August. Not this year. We are infested by untalented narcissists and their enablers taking over the city. The whole atmosphere is drunken, coked up, and aggressively LOUD. And you can never find a parking space or a table at a restaurant. I hardly go to the Fringe now. It makes me murderous.

by Anonymousreply 440July 25, 2020 5:36 AM

[quote]So why did Beckham want a knighthood so bad?

[quote]Why is a knighthood such a big deal?

Because it's posh bling, and Beckham can buy everything else he wants. If he and his people had played their cards right he could have in effect bought a K (charity work, lobbying, patience) - but of course he went about it the wrong way, and in doing so showed he didn't deserve it. Thus the tattooed man remains a mere Mister.

by Anonymousreply 441July 25, 2020 6:34 AM

R441, Apart from his tax dodging activities, conferring a knighthood on him would mean that his wife would be entitled to call herself Lady Beckham. That would be stretching credulity.

by Anonymousreply 442July 25, 2020 7:19 AM

R422 I suspect that Goldenballs’ striving for a title had more to do with impressing and getting one up on Alex Ferguson, and by extension the loyalist world of British footie who turned their back on him (well, all but the arselicking Class of ‘92 crew, of course).

Recall that when DAYVID left the U.K. the first time, it was in ingnominy, as if he were a deserter siphoning money and prestige off the island. People took it hard. Fergie, even as his surrogate father-figure, spearheaded much of this criticism, and given that he is a titled man himself the rejection must have seemed immense.

David does seem to live under his wife’s thumb, but he also has his own agenda and petty egotism to overcome. I wouldn’t put it past his fuzzy logic and childlike credulity to believe that a Knighthood somehow cleans his slate in a sacral way and puts him above those old criticisms that so hurt him (and above, in particular, the one honoured person who hurt him). He wants to feel superior, having been pedestaled since he was too young to handle it properly.

What he fails to grasp is that self-awareness and deprecation, die-hard dedication, and presence most endear football fans and the general British public. We don’t mind the rich or the titled, but we don’t like social climbers and can’t be bought off easily with cheap tricks & bling.

by Anonymousreply 443July 25, 2020 10:03 AM

Well this thread suddenly attracted a shit tonne of fucking racists real quick... Brain dead idiots.

by Anonymousreply 444July 25, 2020 12:28 PM

Carnegie was a slave driver, make no mistake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445July 25, 2020 3:00 PM

R444 These threads always do. The vast majority of the posters in this thread have never even been to the UK or have only been here 30 years ago for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 446July 25, 2020 3:03 PM

Rockefellers were murderous anti-unionists.

Sheesh - didn't any of you have ANY labor history in your school? Many of my teachers in the 70s were anti-establishment types - hippy-adjacents - soft radicals. At least they weren't BRAIN dead like so many teachers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447July 25, 2020 3:04 PM

Frinton-on-Sea

by Anonymousreply 448July 25, 2020 3:06 PM

Um, R447. During strikes, especially prolonged ones, emotions run high. I wouldn't be surprised if people got killed during much more recent strikes, never mind a century or more ago.

I'm glad you've admitted to the socialist bias of your teachers. You have to take their version of the "truth" with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 449July 25, 2020 4:30 PM

Parts of London look like Pakistan and the Middle East now. They really went overboard with the third world immigration, much to their detriment.

by Anonymousreply 450July 25, 2020 4:37 PM

R447, during the Oka Crisis in Canada in 1990, a police officer was killed.

During the strike at the Giant gold mine in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories in 1992, nine miners were murdered when they were underground.

We're talking only 30 years ago. This is the kind of thing that happens when emotions run high and each side thinks the other side is extremely unfair and people want to force an end to the situation.

by Anonymousreply 451July 25, 2020 4:40 PM

R450 just fuck the right off racist troll.

by Anonymousreply 452July 25, 2020 4:41 PM

The nine miners murdered in Yellowknife were replacement workers. A striking miner finally confessed to the killing. What would your biased socialist teachers say about that? Kind of a fly in the ointment, no?

by Anonymousreply 453July 25, 2020 4:43 PM

R453, probably that it's simply the sort of thing that happens when emotions run high, you shit-sucking cunt?

by Anonymousreply 454July 25, 2020 4:49 PM

Don't be silly, R454. According to R447 and his socialist teachers, labour can do no wrong and capitalists are irredeemably evil. It's that simple.

by Anonymousreply 455July 25, 2020 4:53 PM

I wonder if R447's socialist teachers from the 1970s were naive enough to think that communist Russia and Cuba were paradise on earth. Maybe not. Maybe by the 70s, there were enough credible reports in the West that these countries were anything but paradise.

by Anonymousreply 456July 25, 2020 5:16 PM

Fuck YOU r452. This has caused tremendous problems to Britain's cultural and social fabric. I know it's now fashionable to import hordes of third worlders with their barbaric social customs and Medieval religious beliefs to first world countries, but that doesn't make it right.

by Anonymousreply 457July 25, 2020 6:44 PM

Uh oh. Things are getting heated.

by Anonymousreply 458July 25, 2020 6:44 PM

[quote] If Rockefeller's workers weren't satisfied with the pay and working conditions, why didn't they go work somewhere else?

Oh, maybe because he kept them poor enough they couldn't afford to leave and go elsewhere. And have you ever heard the expression "You'll never work in this town again. " or "You'll never work in this business again?" Rockefeller, his lieutenants, and his ilk turned such threats into an art form.

Now, why don't you take your meager wages and get over to the company owned store and spend your money. Don't even think of going anywhere else to shop, if you value your job.

by Anonymousreply 459July 25, 2020 11:41 PM

R459, why is it all right to judge what happened a century ago or more by today's morals? Ninety-nine percent of people's attitudes at the time would have offended you, eg. the role of women in society, demonization of gays and lesbians, demonization of atheists, discrimination against people of other religions, and on and on and on.

by Anonymousreply 460July 25, 2020 11:59 PM

Carnegie remained a UK citizen for years in the hope of a knighthood. Returned to Scotland every year. Courted the Liberals (yes). Was asked to resign from the National Liberal Club because of his disastrous labor relations. He finally got the message (not without first having offered Gladstone actual money - yes, Glad himself) and became a US citizen at last.

by Anonymousreply 461July 28, 2020 10:10 PM

R456, yes, because Stalinist Russia was horrible, we can just turn a blind eye to any negative things at home. Nothing to see here, just move along, Toots. Remember - Stalin!

by Anonymousreply 462July 28, 2020 10:36 PM

If these 70s socialist teachers thought communist countries were wonderful, then they didn't know what they were talking about and it calls into question their extremely biased view on labour history in the U.S.

I win.

by Anonymousreply 463July 28, 2020 11:02 PM

Why are you in favor of striking workers murdering replacement workers, R462? Why are you like that?

by Anonymousreply 464July 28, 2020 11:12 PM

Because he's a shit-gulping cunt, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 465July 28, 2020 11:26 PM

I'm sure labour history was a whole lot more complicated than the way it was taught by the socialist teachers from the 70s, R465. They chose reference books that fit their ideology.

There have been plenty of people who have criticised the far left bias of university professors.

I'm definitely not an expert on the subject but there were probably a lot of uneducated, unskilled workers competing for the same jobs so employers took advantage of the situation. When living standards improved for all social classes in the U.S. (not just the rich) because of the economic prosperity after World War II, I assume working conditions improved for everyone and certain standards were implemented.

by Anonymousreply 466July 29, 2020 12:11 AM

Are you saying that all, or most, wealthy people during the Gilded Age in the U.S. were robber barons, R465? Answer the question. That's how this argument got started.

If many people were taught that by far left university professors, that doesn't make it true.

by Anonymousreply 467July 29, 2020 12:28 AM

Would you queens get off the internet for a while so we can return to the TOPIC we all want to discuss.

UK trashy is so different for US. Brixton is a good example.

by Anonymousreply 468July 29, 2020 12:47 AM

That topic has already been exhausted, R468. Please pay attention.

by Anonymousreply 469July 29, 2020 2:13 AM

Are you saying that events from a century ago or more should be judged by the morals of today, R465? Answer the question.

by Anonymousreply 470July 29, 2020 2:16 AM

Wherever the Windsors are in residence.

Has that been mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 471July 29, 2020 2:16 AM

Socialism and Communism aren't the same thing.

Here in the UK we are a Socialist Country whichever political party is in power.

The Tories just enjoy persecuting and Demonising the poor for political gain.

Everything else stays the same, we still have a welfare state, universal healthcare and almost nobody moaning about fucking abortion 65 years after it became legal (sorry, personal rant). No political party here apposes Abortion...

by Anonymousreply 472July 29, 2020 2:28 AM

55 years and opposes.

by Anonymousreply 473July 29, 2020 2:32 AM

Funny to observe how socialism is considered a Bad Thing in the USA. To the rest of the civilised world it’s just another political / economic theory. Why are you all so frightened?

by Anonymousreply 474July 29, 2020 2:38 AM

R467 No one with half a brain thinks that. And I went to a lefty college where no professor ever said that. The fact remains that there were Robber Barons and what they did to their own workforce was contemptible.

Oh, and that and you're a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 475July 29, 2020 3:31 AM

^^^ Poor thing. You were brain washed by your lefty professors in your lefty college.

by Anonymousreply 476July 29, 2020 4:32 AM

[quote]Would you queens get off the internet for a while so we can return to the TOPIC we all want to discuss. UK trashy is so different for US. Brixton is a good example.

Britain is a boring, backward, impoverished country, like Moldova and Canada. British celebrities don't really count. Britain is just a shadow of its former self, eg. under the reign of Queen Victoria. Now with Brexit, it will become even more irrelevant.

The End

by Anonymousreply 477July 29, 2020 4:37 AM

R475, will you be protesting to try to force Rockefeller University and Rockefeller Centre to change their names? After all, they are named after a very bad person. What about Carnegie Mellon University? Surely you're not into empty posturing.

by Anonymousreply 478July 29, 2020 4:42 AM

R475, you still didn't answer my question at R470.

Shouldn't Kykuit, the Rockefeller estate north of NYC be demolished? Why use it as a tourist attraction? Why glorify a contemptible family? If you say "no", then you're not serious about social justice.

I thought I heard that Joseph Kennedy made his wealth by questionable dealings on Wall Street. Then when he was appointed some sort of commissioner, he tried to make the morally questionable ways he had earned his money on the stock market illegal. I'm sketchy on the details because I heard this on a radio program years ago. I've heard that Wall Street to this day is rigged in favour of certain people.

When you look closely into the lives of so many famous people of the past, you find all kinds of troubling things.

by Anonymousreply 479July 29, 2020 5:15 AM

And out comes the three tons of False Equivalency, right on schedule.

by Anonymousreply 480July 29, 2020 5:45 AM

Whatever do you mean, R480? Don't you have high standards and think that only honest, hard working people should be celebrated?

Btw, I don't know about Rockefeller Center but I'm pretty sure Rockefeller University was founded by and named after the morally bankrupt billionaire himself. Aren't you outraged? Shouldn't the Carnegie name be removed from all the public libraries he built. I'm starting to think you're a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 481July 29, 2020 5:55 AM

And you're a dripping little cunt, so who really cares what you think?

Take your smug shittiness and bully-worship, ball them up, and insert them in the no-doubt cum-glazed hole of your choice.

by Anonymousreply 482July 29, 2020 5:59 AM

Someone up top asked what a chav is. Think a hybrid between white trash and a Jersey guido. That's a chav.

by Anonymousreply 483July 29, 2020 6:01 AM

Almost the entire country. The island is overrun with 70 million people. It is almost impossible to find total quiet-somewhere in the background is the rumble of a motorway, or some idiot up the side of a mountain won his ATV.

by Anonymousreply 484July 29, 2020 6:06 AM

[quote]And you're a dripping little cunt, so who really cares what you think? Take your smug shittiness and bully-worship, ball them up, and insert them in the no-doubt cum-glazed hole of your choice.

Oh my, name calling. I guessed you've run out of rational arguments to support your side.

Still haven't answered my question at R470. I guess you're going to completely duck that one. I hope you don't admire that slave owner, President Thomas Jefferson.

I'm really enjoying this, my wacky Marxist friend.

by Anonymousreply 485July 29, 2020 6:07 AM

I think the thing that keeps England and Wales (Scotland less so) from seeming attractive as a place to live is the fact that it's so densely settled. And I know that that is true to a certain extent of Europe as a whole, but for some reason in the UK it seems more noticeable. I think it has to do with the English distaste for cities. With the partial exception of London, which seems soundly loathed by the whole country otherwise, they never seem like places people enjoy living in, so there's an immense pressure to live in the suburbs or "the countryside". But where a place like the US has the space to fulfill that impulse (to a certain extent), the UK, by and large, does not.

by Anonymousreply 486July 29, 2020 6:15 AM

Mop up when you're done, R485.

by Anonymousreply 487July 29, 2020 6:15 AM

[quote]British celebrities don't really count.

If only Britain had an inspiring aspiring leader such as Kanye West to call its own.

by Anonymousreply 488July 29, 2020 6:16 AM

Luton followed closely by Chatham.

by Anonymousreply 489July 29, 2020 6:19 AM

R488, my whole post at R477 is just my lame attempt at humour. I don't really mean any of it. I've never been to Britain or Moldova but I assume the former has a higher standard of living.

by Anonymousreply 490July 29, 2020 6:23 AM

[quote]Mop up when you're done, R485.

So you DO admire slave-owning presidents. Thought so. Tsk tsk.

by Anonymousreply 491July 29, 2020 6:25 AM

[quote]Take your smug shittiness and bully-worship, ball them up, and insert them in the no-doubt cum-glazed hole of your choice.

You do have a way with words, R482. English major? .... with a minor in history?

by Anonymousreply 492July 29, 2020 6:33 AM

Boston; Birmingham; Washington.

by Anonymousreply 493July 29, 2020 6:43 AM

R492 Rose, dear. A quaint phrase from England for you... bore off! It means fuck off, you’re being extremely boring.

by Anonymousreply 494July 29, 2020 6:53 AM

How would you describe Gemma Collins?

by Anonymousreply 495July 29, 2020 6:58 AM

R493 nominates two northern towns and one from the Midlands. It does seem to get worse the further north you go.

by Anonymousreply 496July 29, 2020 6:58 AM

Does this mean that Scottish towns are worse than English towns, R496? Or is there a "reset" of sorts at the border?

by Anonymousreply 497July 29, 2020 7:01 AM

R495, world's most disappointing cocktail?

by Anonymousreply 498July 29, 2020 7:02 AM

R497 there’s a reset and then the pattern starts again.

by Anonymousreply 499July 29, 2020 7:06 AM

[quote]R492 Rose, dear. A quaint phrase from England for you... bore off! It means fuck off, you’re being extremely boring.

Thank you, R494, but I don't value your quaint opinion. You do know about the "ignore" icon, right? Try using that.

by Anonymousreply 500July 29, 2020 7:10 AM

I am clicking ignore on R500 right now and won't regret it.

by Anonymousreply 501July 29, 2020 7:15 AM

No need to announce it, R501. I'll have to look your history on DL and talk smack about you while you have me on"ignore".

by Anonymousreply 502July 29, 2020 7:18 AM

* to look up ....

by Anonymousreply 503July 29, 2020 7:18 AM

That's a relief.

by Anonymousreply 504July 29, 2020 7:22 AM

Earlier post from R501 : I quite like being drunk.

That explains a lot.

by Anonymousreply 505July 29, 2020 7:27 AM

R502 seek psychiatric help.

by Anonymousreply 506July 29, 2020 7:39 AM

[quote] It does seem to get worse the further north you go.

Ah-HEY ma-Ma, ma-Me, Dinya-DAI-yeh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507July 29, 2020 10:26 AM

I'm fascinated by the different accents in the UK. You can here the trashy southern ones from the posh but some I just can't tell the difference. Like Adele is Cockney right?

by Anonymousreply 508July 29, 2020 12:09 PM

[quote]R502 seek psychiatric help.

I see you have no idea when someone is joking. My comment at R505 is so insulting, he'd faint if he read it.

by Anonymousreply 509July 29, 2020 1:52 PM

You know that woman from Game of Thrones...she'd say "you know nothing! Jon Snow!" that's a manchester accent...according to my friend

by Anonymousreply 510July 29, 2020 2:16 PM

Newcastle speak is incomprehensible if the speakers don't want you to understand what they're saying to each other.

by Anonymousreply 511July 29, 2020 2:46 PM

^“HE CANNAE SEE, MAN!” was clear enough....😥

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512July 29, 2020 10:12 PM

The neglected Towns and Cities in the South East are way worse places to live than some of the shit-holes in the North.

by Anonymousreply 513July 30, 2020 1:08 AM

Croydon and Fulham in London

by Anonymousreply 514July 30, 2020 2:13 AM

Looks like R500 is still at it; he's still ignored here!

by Anonymousreply 515July 30, 2020 2:42 AM

What? You have me on "ignore" but you know when I'm posting? That doesn't make sense.

Aw, don't be that way. We had such fun talking about the Beckhams' mansion in Holland Park and London's super expensive real estate. Kisses.

It looks like you're a very frequent contributor to this thread, just like me.

by Anonymousreply 516July 30, 2020 3:34 AM

UGh, can we have a thread that doesn't devolve into who has the best grammar on a FUCKING Internet message board? WHO cares?

What are some examples of British accents and their origins? Like Beckham? He sounds really haughty compared to...Christian Bale, for instance. Would that be like a southern accent vs west coast? or something? Would Beckam be from a wealthier area than Bale? I just find this shit so interesting because I love different accents. I watch Hollyoaks sometimes and it's like...Woah.

by Anonymousreply 517July 30, 2020 10:23 AM

Bless your heart R517, Beckham doesn’t have a haughty accent. That is the funniest thing I’ve heard in a while. He has a lower class, Minnie Mouse, helium voice. What I find odd in the UK is that accents can vary a lot even between small villages geographically close together. I’d understand the differentiation before the advent of TV and cars. Where he comes from is a down at heel (less so these days) area of East London. Definitely non-U.

by Anonymousreply 518July 30, 2020 11:30 AM

[quote]Where he comes from is a down at heel (less so these days) area of East London. Definitely non-U.

Which doubtless adds to his desperation for that Knighthood.

by Anonymousreply 519July 30, 2020 11:45 AM

My god. This thread is so boring since the Gilded Age robber baron argument ended.

Is it true that British TV is mostly sheep dog competitions? No wonder Brits drink so much.

by Anonymousreply 520July 30, 2020 2:20 PM

UK people. Is it true that people from the north are despised?

by Anonymousreply 521July 30, 2020 2:37 PM

No, R521.

by Anonymousreply 522July 30, 2020 3:52 PM

Brits only despise Eastern Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 523July 30, 2020 3:55 PM

Liverpool...the scouse accent. That psycho killer in Killing Eve is from there and if you can hear it when she accepted various awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524July 30, 2020 4:05 PM

R521 people from the north are not despised as a rule by ... people from the north.

by Anonymousreply 525July 30, 2020 7:36 PM

R501, R504, R515 and R525 is still posting on this thread? That's 71 posts on this thread alone. Very enthusiastic.

by Anonymousreply 526July 30, 2020 8:41 PM

I think Luton and Leeds added to London would give the "B" locations a run for their money. That said, Blackburn should be added to the B list. It has significant Indian, Pakistani, and other ethnic minorities - almost 20% born outside the EU.

In terms of religion, Blackburn is about 30% Muslim now.

by Anonymousreply 527July 30, 2020 10:41 PM

I see your Blackburn and raise you an Accrington.

by Anonymousreply 528July 30, 2020 10:44 PM

My dear R517; accent denotes class as far as register, not character or attitude. Beckham is extremely wealthy and a bit pretentious, but even with his millions and given a polish-up with titles, he will always be given away and kept in a certain place sociallyby his lower-middle-class Essex accent (and attendant limitations).

Further to that, accent isn’t always derived from one’s childhood hometown or school surroundings, but rather one’s parents or guardians. Consequently, many raised in ‘posh’ areas or with good schooling may still behave or sound as if they come from a lower strata e.g., Bournemouth’s own pretty-prince Jamie Redknapp, who was enrolled at a nice high-achieving school in Dorset yet inherited his Cockney accent and penchant for truantry from father Harry, an East End wide-boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529July 30, 2020 11:50 PM

Someone doesn't understand the "Rose" joke.

by Anonymousreply 530July 31, 2020 6:55 AM

Someone doesn't understand sarcasm. Perhaps it's you, R530.

by Anonymousreply 531July 31, 2020 7:10 AM

Sure Jan.

by Anonymousreply 532July 31, 2020 7:13 AM

Not nearly as funny as your lefty brainwashing in college, but then again, I'm not going to argue with you ad nauseam. Please try sticking to the subject of the thread. Lots of accent-conscious, class-conscious English queens on here who will hassle you if you don't.

by Anonymousreply 533July 31, 2020 7:21 AM

R533 if you have to tell people you are funny and they are stupid if they don’t find you funny, then you aren’t funny. Please give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 534July 31, 2020 7:32 AM

I honestly don't remember telling anyone I was funny, just sarcastic. Can you look back on my previous posts and point out exactly where I said I was funny? Do you have a problem with projecting characteristics on people?

Sorry. I get bitchy when criticised.

by Anonymousreply 535July 31, 2020 7:42 AM

Essex has a terrible reputation based on just two towns Romford and Basildon. I was shocked when I visited Essex as its a beautiful place with outstanding villages and lovely countryside and great friendly people.

by Anonymousreply 536July 31, 2020 7:49 AM

Essex is a beautiful County that you should visit! Stay clear of Romford and Basildon.

by Anonymousreply 537July 31, 2020 7:54 AM

R535 I’m sorry you are having a bad day Rose. That doesn’t excuse you from clogging up this thread with your cunty, off-topic comments. Anyway, I guess I’m the stupid one for feeding a troll.

by Anonymousreply 538July 31, 2020 7:58 AM

Oh, there's more than one cunt who's determined to get the last word on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 539July 31, 2020 7:59 AM

Head up towards Saffron Walden way in Essex and visit Audley End. It’s lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540July 31, 2020 8:06 AM

[quote]Anyway, I guess I’m the stupid one for feeding a troll.

What makes you think I'm trolling? What makes you think I don't strongly disagree with R454, R482?

[quote] .... clogging up this thread with your cunty, off-topic comments.

Cunty? If you want really cunty, look at the comments of my worthy Marxist opponent at R454 and R482. Is that polite discourse? He must have anger management issues. Or maybe one of these robber barons had one of his ancestors killed?

by Anonymousreply 541July 31, 2020 3:04 PM

There shouldn't be a question mark at the end of my last sentence at R541.

by Anonymousreply 542July 31, 2020 3:06 PM

"Please try sticking to the subject of the thread." - R533

by Anonymousreply 543July 31, 2020 3:47 PM

Walford in East London or Weatherfield, just outside Manchester.

by Anonymousreply 544July 31, 2020 3:49 PM

Is Manchester becoming less gay-friendly? Doesn’t seem like the LGB Mecca it was once was, at least not from a distance. I can’t say whether it is or not, given I don’t ever go North if I can help it.

Brighton is for trendy fake-gays and Ts, now. The few stalwart 2nd-wave lesbians I know still there are lamenting the situation and want to leave for more habitable climes (they’ve not said where to).

by Anonymousreply 545July 31, 2020 4:03 PM

Last time I went to Manchester I noticed how rough the village has got. It's not really any safer than a straight area these days.

by Anonymousreply 546July 31, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote]What are some examples of British accents and their origins? Like Beckham? He sounds really haughty compared to...Christian Bale, for instance. Would that be like a southern accent vs west coast? or something? Would Beckam be from a wealthier area than Bale? I just find this shit so interesting because I love different accents.

Beckham sounds haughtier than Bale, despite Bale having wealthier origins, because Bale's neo-Cockney accent is a complete put-on. Listening to him speak is like nails grating on a chalkboard, one because he's so dull and self-centered and two because you know his accent is fake. He often forgets during interviews and goes into RP-type English often, it's like listening to a see-saw.

Like Jamie Redknapp, Bale is mostly Bournemouth-raised and attended private schools ("public school" in the UK) most of his life. In keeping with the theme of the post, my understanding is that Dorset/Bournemouth are not shithole areas, but mostly mid-class and in some places, resort-y.

by Anonymousreply 547July 31, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote]"Please try sticking to the subject of the thread." - R533

Sorry. I have to keep all these attacking rottweilers at bay. And yes, I do have to have the last word.

by Anonymousreply 548July 31, 2020 5:26 PM

Rose sitting in her basement...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549July 31, 2020 7:13 PM

There shouldn't be any words in front of the question mark, either, R542.

In any case, my vote for trashiest bit of the UK has got to be any of the seaside "resorts" with Skegness and Blackpool (the names alone!) up around the top ten.

I confess I have never understood the allure of Brighton. It seemed dirty, ugly and full of truly nasty people. However I've repeatedly heard great things about it, so maybe I just wasn't in the right area (or the right mood).

by Anonymousreply 550July 31, 2020 9:07 PM

That gif is pretty funny, R549, but that drag queen is much more fabulous than I am.

[quote].... full of truly nasty people

Much like this thread. And here I thought Brits were polite and reserved, although I'm pretty sure R482 is an American (they're known for their bluntness).

by Anonymousreply 551August 1, 2020 12:24 AM

Wherever that lady with the gross "cooking" show on YouTube lives

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552August 1, 2020 12:29 AM

Wherever that lady with the gross "cooking" show on YouTube lives

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553August 1, 2020 12:29 AM

Buckingham Palace.

by Anonymousreply 554August 1, 2020 2:08 PM

As a youngster in Canada, seeing the introduction to Coronation Street with those row houses all squished together, not a tree in sight, always depressed me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555August 1, 2020 2:16 PM

R1 no Liverpool and Teesside maybe. The west if Scotland is stunning and Glasgow’s west end is lovely too.

by Anonymousreply 556August 1, 2020 2:18 PM

[quote]those row houses all squished together, not a tree in sight

Arguably better than the concrete tower blocks supposedly an improvement on so many of those rows demolished post-war for 'a better future.' Grenfell wasn't quite an improvement, as it turned out.

by Anonymousreply 557August 1, 2020 3:34 PM

R557 True enough, those towers are equally as depressing!!

by Anonymousreply 558August 1, 2020 5:35 PM

R555, see r544

by Anonymousreply 559August 1, 2020 5:46 PM

R557 speaking of hideous towers, did you know that Covent Garden came this close to being entirely demolished to make way for another Barbican in the ‘60s. I actually like the Barbican, but one is sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 560August 1, 2020 5:50 PM

[quote]I actually like the Barbican, but one is sufficient.

The Barbican often seems to me like a vast alien space station which, having landed, likes the UK well enough to stay. No-one's made too much fuss, so here it remains. Any imitations would, I agree, be surplus to requirements.

by Anonymousreply 561August 1, 2020 7:04 PM

Genuine question : would the British have thought Lincoln Center (as a design)) preferable? And I adore Lincoln Center, but one is definitely enough

by Anonymousreply 562August 1, 2020 11:41 PM

Pretty much all British post-war brutalist architecture was designed by upper class architects for working class people to live in, as cheaply as possible. You get what you pay for.

by Anonymousreply 563August 2, 2020 12:38 AM

I don;t that think that's true or entirely fair. several Brutalist projects in the UK were designed quite well and made to last. But all projects require upkeep and Thatcher's UK was not along for the ride. The same thing happened to a somewhat different degree in the US. The "failure" of Modernism was the failure of politics and funding, not architecture.

by Anonymousreply 564August 2, 2020 1:58 AM

[R564] Same in Italy. The projects in Naples were designed by a famous Brutalist architect and now the labyrinthine parking garages are used for drug running.

by Anonymousreply 565August 2, 2020 2:08 AM

R564 But there's an elitist arrogance to brutalism. In their desire to change how people live (not themselves, of course), architects never stopped to ask ordinary people if they actually wanted to live on moulded concrete estates.

As it turned out, they didn't. That's why it ended up being used solely for social housing where the tenants didn't really have a choice, while private developments went back to traditional styles that were popular before the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 566August 2, 2020 2:23 AM

Nice to see a few posters from Europe where Socialism if done correctly works

It's better than the USl system in any case

by Anonymousreply 567August 2, 2020 3:00 AM

Social housing.....I’d gladly take an apartment in a thrash’s area. A house is a house. It’s nearly impossible to find something here. Housing has been a disaster since the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 568August 2, 2020 4:10 AM

In the Domesday book, the areas of the North (particularly around Northumberland & the Tyne) that William the Conquerer razed to the ground to quash the Rebellions are simply recorded and described as ‘waste’. Says it all, really.

by Anonymousreply 569August 2, 2020 1:22 PM

[quote] Geordie = Ant or Dec

Or Charlie...well, sort of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570September 29, 2020 9:46 PM

Bermondsey.

by Anonymousreply 571September 29, 2020 10:12 PM

R571 You obviously haven't been to Bermondsey in a while.

by Anonymousreply 572September 29, 2020 10:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573November 10, 2020 5:35 AM

Shanklin, Isle of Wight

by Anonymousreply 574November 10, 2020 6:12 AM

This thread has had only 250 views but 574 posts. Is it just a couple people talking to themselves?

by Anonymousreply 575November 10, 2020 6:22 AM

R22

Onslow and Daisy (along with Rose) lived in a council house that was part of a terrace of public housing. Public housing apartments in UK are called council flats. American equivalent would be pubic housing.

Though areas or streets certainly do look as if the war only recently ended, many others all over England, Scotland, Ireland, etc... are well maintained for most part. It comes down to the residents really as with all sorts of housing.

Addition of wreck in drive that functioned as a dog house was an added bit to emphasize just how low Daisy and Onslow were in contrast to Hyacinth and Richard. Onslow was work shy and bone idle, so they lived on the dole (welfare) plus whatever Onslow could earn from the fillies (horse racing) or otherwise on the side. Daisy was total opposite of her sister Hyacinth, a slut (not in that way) and slovenly housekeeper. Equally bone idle as her husband, but it extended mostly to not doing any sort of housework.

Rose liked to read public library books, and Onslow watched Open University on television. Both gave some lie to both were like others on the dole; unintelligent.

It is rather ironic that everyone Hyacinth tries to keep away from her sister and BIL end up liking and preferring Onslow and Daisy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576November 10, 2020 9:20 AM

Stoke Aldermoor, used for outdoor location shots for Onslow's and Daisy's terrace council home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577November 10, 2020 9:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!