Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

California is closed again. Sorry, bitches! "Covid-19 is not going away."

California is largely closing again amid a spike in coronavirus cases across the state, as Gov. Gavin Newsom announced statewide restrictions Monday to again halt all indoor dining and close bars, family entertainment, zoos and museums.

At the same time, most counties, including Los Angeles, will be forced to shutter gyms, churches, hair salons, malls and other businesses under the new order, which is effective Monday.

The move further pushes Californians back inside during a time typically marked by summer vacations. The stricter measures to close gyms, churches and other services are targeted at 30 of the most populous counties in the state, where 80% of California residents live.

"This virus is not going away anytime soon," Newsom said Monday. "I hope all of us recognize that if we were still connected to some notion that somehow when it gets warm it's going to go away or somehow it's going to take summer months or weekends off — this virus has done neither."

The setback comes after the state said June 12 that dine-in restaurants, retail stores, bars, religious services and gyms could reopen with modifications in counties that met the state's guidelines. Newsom said the move Monday to resurrect tough restrictions was a response to a rise in COVID-19 hospitalizations in the state.

"We're seeing an increase in the spread of the virus, so that's why it's incumbent upon all of us to recognize soberly that COVID-19 is not going away any time soon until there is a vaccine or an effective therapy," Newsom said Monday.

Newsom ordered tougher limits ahead of the July 4 holiday on indoor activities for counties experiencing a spike in infections. Counties are placed on a watch list when they experience a rise in hospitalization rates, community transmission or declining hospital capacity, with three consecutive days of troublesome trends requiring the area to add additional restrictions.

There are now 30 counties on that watch list, which, with Monday's announcement, will now have to close gyms, churches, offices with non-essential workers, malls, nail salons and hair salons.

However, Newsom said counties are likely to come on and off the watchlist, which he said allows the state to operate with a "dimmer switch" to modify restrictions as needed.

Statewide, Newsom said Monday that all dine-in restaurants must close unless they seat patrons outdoor or offer takeout. In addition, wineries and tasting rooms, movie theaters, card rooms, zoos, museums, bowling alleys, miniature golf and other family entertainment centers will be closed across California.

Schools districts will continue to determine whether to return to classrooms following summer break, a decision that has varied widely across California. On Monday the Los Angeles Unified School District announced it would not reopen classes and will instead continue with online learning until further notice.

Even while overriding public health orders in counties across the state, Newsom said Monday that school districts are best positioned to determine whether to reopen classrooms. However, he cautioned that the state is monitoring schools and will continue to provide guidance on best practices.

"The dynamic nature of the spread of this virus means you'll be hearing a lot more in the next few days and presumably weeks as we get closer to the opening of the school year," Newsom said.

As of Monday, California had more than 326,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and more than 7,000 total deaths, according to the Los Angeles Times' tracker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360July 28, 2020 2:18 PM

Where’s that poster that swore that nothing would be shut down again?

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2020 9:29 PM

Well that sucks.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2020 9:30 PM

FUCK

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2020 9:36 PM

Quelle surprise.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2020 9:39 PM

I also want to see the "NOTHING will close again!" and "It's just THE FLU!" and "Warm weather KILLS the virus!" DL-ers and their lame attempts to spin this.

"LIBERAL HOAX TO HURT TRUMP!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2020 9:39 PM

This is why we can't have nice things. I'm looking at YOU, Orange County.

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2020 9:42 PM

California is closed again and people will start rebelling again.

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2020 9:45 PM

I'm not sure this is the best thing. Because if it is not going away soon, we just need to accept this as a part of life.

Indoors shut down again - unemployment goes back up. Federal GOVT will not extend benefits. Nothing to spend on whatever the fuck is open.

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2020 9:45 PM

In fairness, R6 at least Orange County has been consistent.

LA and SF were ahead of the game but then when the protests happened, they couldn't pretend that people weren't out and about and not wearing masks. They reopened as a result and it was too soon. Even Newsom couldn't play the stay at home card.

They should have stayed closed all summer and at this point they should until the school season resumes.

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2020 9:45 PM

Protests lead to no uptick in infection. Going to work did

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2020 9:47 PM

Why does it have to be all or none? A restaurant with tables well spaced and bar area closed and limited to small parties is much safer than a bar packed with revelers.

In other settings, masking is effective, but only if everyone does it.

Instead of shutting down everything, why don't they ban crowds of any kind and ENFORCE masking. You can have all the laws and regulations you want; if they're not enforced, they won't.

R7, I don't under this. If they rebel, arrest or fine them. As a nation, we have become so timid about using the power of government - and that applies on both sides of the political spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2020 9:48 PM

r7, the rebellion is what caused a lot of this. People protesting about things being closed NOT wearing a mask.

This state can't be trusted to social distance. Those in their 20s don't give a fuck. They are not social distancing. They are gathering in groups and living their lives.

You just get to the point where its - fuck it. We advised, you choose. Stay inside if your vulnerable. If you want to catch it and kill your family that's your choice. Let people be responsible or not. Life has to go on.

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2020 9:48 PM

R8 I agree this is going to be around forever. However, if people could just wear a damn mask and practice social distancing this could have been mitigated.

It's an airborne virus. Why people can't take basic precautions is bewildering. They deserve to be treated like children being grounded.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2020 9:49 PM

Re R11, that should be "they won't WORK" and "I don't underSTAND this." I'm only drinking iced tea, really.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2020 9:50 PM

I happen to like Newsom -- but I think he blew it last month by allowing things to reopen too quickly. Although he'd been preaching "We will be guided by the science", it really looked like he caved to political pressure. I think he took a calculated risk that Californians would do the right thing by wearing masks and practicing social distancing. He was sorely mistaken.

Idiots online are already calling for his blood as a result of this new order.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2020 9:50 PM

r10, I don't believe that. I saw many protesters for BLM wearing masks and the LOOTERS not. However, I saw NO ONE in masks protesting about wearing masks and saying that their businesses should be open.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2020 9:50 PM

What I’d like to know is what the state plans on doing during the shutdown to make sure this one doesn’t end the same way the previous shutdown did. Will there be greater enforcement measures to prevent social gatherings? Will the state ramp up testing and contacting tracing?

If California doesn’t do something different, this will just end in another month or two, the state will ease restrictions and a month after that we’ll be back where we started, only the unemployed will be even worse off.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2020 9:50 PM

Curfews will be next.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2020 9:51 PM

R15 Bingo.

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2020 9:51 PM

Blame the assholes who refused to wear a mask or practice social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2020 9:51 PM

r15, I wanted to slap him silly when he was giving press conferences saying that social pressure will get people to social distance.

People are stupid as fuck, and don't give a fuck after a month or two.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2020 9:52 PM

I just want to go to fucking Olive Garden.

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2020 9:52 PM

Ideally there will be vaccine giving lengthy immunity by December. Failing that, or before, medical treatments that work. Failing both we have to resume normal behavior and take our chances. I'm not happy with that.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2020 9:53 PM

Looks like I'll be getting EDD extended until the first of the year.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2020 9:56 PM

Link to twitter of Dr. Scott Jensen state Senator in Minn. It's part two of two but the heart of it starts around 3:20 in the video.

This was talked about in the early days of C19 before we shut down that hospitals were assigning Covid to just about anyone dying, particular the elderly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2020 9:57 PM

r8, my added unemployment benefits ended last week, but they're willing to extend it another 13 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2020 10:00 PM

Good luck shutting down again. Authorities said not to use fireworks on the 4th and look what happened:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2020 10:03 PM

Great, now all of you will be bringing your diseased asses into Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2020 10:03 PM

Opening businesses and then closing businesses and then maybe re-opening only to maybe re-close....

This is going to get very ugly

by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2020 10:06 PM

Newsom has a strange cadence to his speech.

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2020 10:07 PM

R11 is a "BOTH SIDES! BOTH SIDES!!!!" Troll.

by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2020 10:11 PM

Gavin has nice hair. Not quite as nice as mine, but nice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2020 10:12 PM

I would love to face fuck Trudeau.

That aside, even with a vaccine it will take years to subside. And if the virus mutates in an unpredictable way, then it's lock down city all over again.

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2020 10:16 PM

Newsom should have never allowed himself to be bullied into re-opening the state. The re-opening only brought a bigger wave of Corona cases.

Fuck you OC. It serves them right they are the Covid hotspot in the state.

by Anonymousreply 34July 13, 2020 10:17 PM

r24, r26 but only the state max. No extra $600, Mitch said so. OVAH in 2 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 35July 13, 2020 10:18 PM

I agree with the above poster that stated that there has to be an actual proactive plan in place to ensure that these stay-at-home orders are serving a greater purpose and not just about waiting out the clock. Testing should be ramped up and aggressive contract tracing introduced (fuck those that complain about privacy violations in that regard). Mask violations need to be strictly enforced and come with a stiff penalty. There should be clear metrics that everyone can follow so that we can collectively chart our progress towards a prospective phased re-opening. We need targets or goals to clear so that it won't feel so arbitrary and restrictive.

by Anonymousreply 36July 13, 2020 10:19 PM

R31 is a "hooray for my side!" troll.

by Anonymousreply 37July 13, 2020 10:21 PM

"LIBERAL HOAX TO HURT TRUMP!!!!!!!"

Hey R5, none other than noted medical and pandemic expert, and virologist extraordinaire Chuck Woolery claims its all a hoax.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 13, 2020 10:29 PM

With new evidence that immunity following infection wanes after a few weeks, we can forget about an effective vaccine.

Vaccine development involves using weakened or inactivated virus particles to generate an immune response. If the actual fucking live virus can’t create an immune response, what chance does a vaccine have?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 13, 2020 10:29 PM

"YOU GET IT AND YOU HAVE IMMUNITY FOR LIFE!!!!"

"LIBERAL HOAX TO HURT TRUMP!!!!!"

"SUNLIGHT DESTROYS IT!!! PANDEMIC OVER BY JUNE 1ST!!!!!"

"IT'S JUST THE FLU!!!!!"

As believed and spread by R11.

by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2020 10:40 PM

All they had to do was wait a couple extra weeks before re-opening...but nooooooooooooooooo.

So now, they're going to spend MORE time in lockdown than if the idiots had just been patient.

by Anonymousreply 41July 13, 2020 10:53 PM

Gavin Newsom:

NEW: #COVID19 cases continue to spread at alarming rates.

CA is now closing indoor operations STATEWIDE for:

-Restaurants

-Wineries

-Movie theaters, family entertainment

-Zoos, museums

-Cardrooms

Bars must close ALL operations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 13, 2020 11:01 PM

Those fucking churches better stay closed. Those people can practice their fairy tales at home.

by Anonymousreply 43July 13, 2020 11:05 PM

[R28] "Diseased asses" are a feature of Nevada, not California. In fact, they are Nevada's main tourist attractions.

by Anonymousreply 44July 13, 2020 11:13 PM

Big Dick Gavin looks hot in R42s picture.

by Anonymousreply 45July 13, 2020 11:27 PM

I live in Santa Monica and even after the county and cities said they would start citing people, a large percentage here still aren't wearing masks. It's better than it was for the first few months where way less than half the people I saw on the street were uncovered but not anywhere near 90%, which is what it would take to be able to stay open and bend the curve. Rich spoiled people (Not I. I have rent control like in New York, grandfathered in because I've been here so long). I've said to anyone who would listen since March including an email to the City Manager (we have a mayor who is the head of the city council but doesn't run the city) that masks should be mandatory and there should be fines and enforcement. It's just like Orange County around here. Stupid, uninformed, oblivious. If they had made mask wearing mandatory from the get go and cited enough people so that the media covered it, people would have started complying, if grudgingly. This was so mishandled at every level. Many people don't wear them for weird psychological reasons (and obviously Trump), so they need to be forced to do so. I hope that happens. If you had to pay $500 or more, you'd find out you could wear a mask, Chad and Karen.

by Anonymousreply 46July 13, 2020 11:40 PM

I hope packing the beaches was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 47July 13, 2020 11:50 PM

R47, that's a good point. Why doesn't Newsom shut down the beaches?

by Anonymousreply 48July 13, 2020 11:52 PM

Duh, beaches are outside. Lower rate of transmission than indoors.

by Anonymousreply 49July 13, 2020 11:54 PM

Yes, R49. Shutting down indoor facilities is the priority.

But why not re-close the beaches as an additional precaution?

by Anonymousreply 50July 13, 2020 11:56 PM

This is why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 14, 2020 12:02 AM

The beaches were closed over the 4th of July weekend. At least LA beaches. Am not sure about the rest of the state.

by Anonymousreply 52July 14, 2020 12:03 AM

I don't see a problem here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2020 12:04 AM

People need to stop acting like the protests didn’t play a huge hand in this. I know no one wants to believe it but we’d be in much better shape if there weren’t gatherings of 10’s of thousands of people every day for two weeks. Even a handful of people catching it at them can spread the virus like wild fire.

by Anonymousreply 54July 14, 2020 12:05 AM

TONS of people were marching NYC, where is the explosion? Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 55July 14, 2020 12:07 AM

R55 NYC has it under control by then. It already ravaged thru the tri state area by then AND everything was still shut down for a couple of weeks after the protests ended, limiting transmission. CA hadnt experienced what NYC did AND they were open for a lot of things, allowing for much easier person to person transmission. All it takes is 1 person to infect 1000.

by Anonymousreply 56July 14, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] Those in their 20s don't give a fuck. They are not social distancing. They are gathering in groups and living their lives.

And older people do? Because... please. I have seen more people in their 60s and 70s walking around without masks and refusing to social distance or take Covid seriously than I have younger people.

by Anonymousreply 57July 14, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote]Ideally there will be vaccine giving lengthy immunity by December.

You really believe that?

And how long did it take to find a vaccine for SARS?

by Anonymousreply 58July 14, 2020 1:02 AM

The weed shops better stay open.

by Anonymousreply 59July 14, 2020 1:02 AM

R54 Perhaps you should research how contact tracing works. It's well-documented that the new cases are young 20-something bargoers and Latino frontline workers living in close quarters who attend social gatherings.

The protests exacerbated the problem because if protesters weren't made to stay home really no one else could.

It's unfortunate that so many short-sighted people are only going to prolong this for the entire state.

by Anonymousreply 60July 14, 2020 1:04 AM

I'm still pissed at the Chinese. Motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 61July 14, 2020 1:51 AM

And while we're at it R61, god damn all those Asian drivers in California!

by Anonymousreply 62July 14, 2020 1:52 AM

Newsome did make a mistake and opened too quickly too early. But we all said we could get the virus under control if we did x, y and z. We weren’t willing to do the Y and Z part when X was the hardest part. But nooooooo the prez made it political and deplorables went nuts. Young people are also to blame.

It will be around for awhile but others have mitigated it yet we can’t because we’re full of idiots. Some of us said if we fucked up the reopening we might have to go back into lockdown and here we are. This extends our economic pain.

by Anonymousreply 63July 14, 2020 1:53 AM

Pittsburgh rolled back its closing last week because of a spike in cases. And it's all because of the 20 and 30 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 64July 14, 2020 2:05 AM

Why is Florida getting off the hook? They even have the audacity to open up Disney World. Are they just trying to thin out the state. Does their governor have mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 65July 14, 2020 2:06 AM

OP, not all counties have strict lockdowns. Apparently malls, gyms, and places of worship will be allowed in certain counties. So at least for now, it varies from region to region.

by Anonymousreply 66July 14, 2020 2:09 AM

[quote] Are they just trying to thin out the state.

Like in Florida that would be a bad thing lol!

by Anonymousreply 67July 14, 2020 2:11 AM

All of FL is eventually going to shut down but it is going to be too late. Disney will probably shut down again too

by Anonymousreply 68July 14, 2020 2:12 AM

r68: Yep. Where is the poster who kept saying shutdowns will NEVER happen again?🤔

by Anonymousreply 69July 14, 2020 2:15 AM

Even the TX Gov said he may shut down the state.

by Anonymousreply 70July 14, 2020 2:25 AM

except that they all waited too long. these politicians are all finished because in the end, even the people that didn't wear masks or stay home or social distance will yell You didn't take care of me.

by Anonymousreply 71July 14, 2020 2:29 AM

A contact of mine who has a friend in Gov Abbott’s office said Abbott is closing the state starting Friday for one month. Announcement supposedly tomorrow. We’ll see.

by Anonymousreply 72July 14, 2020 2:40 AM

Governor Sisolak closed all of the bars in Nevada over the weekend. They will have two weeks to see if the case numbers drop in on a county by county basis, then they can reopen in those counties that don't have rising cases. The closure included all bars within the casinos.

by Anonymousreply 73July 14, 2020 2:44 AM

R69, I'm not the poster you're talking about, but I have to agree that I don't think you'll see a complete shutdown again. You'll see rollbacks in certain activities but not a shutdown to the same degree that we had in March/April.

by Anonymousreply 74July 14, 2020 2:48 AM

People need to take to the streets in mass protests, just like BLM protesters did. We should not just sit back and be treated like we are in some communist country!

by Anonymousreply 75July 14, 2020 3:22 AM

Because they don't work because Americans are stupid whiny crybabies who can't sit in the emptiness of their lives without going crazy.

by Anonymousreply 76July 14, 2020 3:34 AM

R75 what r u talking about?

by Anonymousreply 77July 14, 2020 3:34 AM

I don’t understand how states like FL and TX can avoid shutting down - mainly because of the hospitals. At capacity now - with the flood from the past 2 weeks infections yet to hit the ICUs. Unless I’m missing something, there will be sick people left outside hospitals to die.

by Anonymousreply 78July 14, 2020 3:51 AM

I'm glad I already have antibodies to it.

by Anonymousreply 79July 14, 2020 3:57 AM

R75 wandered in from Breitbart.

by Anonymousreply 80July 14, 2020 3:58 AM

Wait till a strong Hurricane comes in, then Florida and Texas will really be in a catastrophic situation.

Covid + Hurricane season = unimaginable loss.

by Anonymousreply 81July 14, 2020 4:00 AM

I was up at Lake Tahoe this afternoon, with my N95 mask on whenever I was out of the car. I saw maybe 10% masks on people, and most of those were on people who were working. The tourists really seem to believe that the Pandemics don't affect people who are on vacation.

And that's why we need to shut down so much stuff again, and cost so many people work. It's because Americans are a bunch of damn fools.

by Anonymousreply 82July 14, 2020 4:13 AM

[quote] Perhaps you should research how contact tracing works. It's well-documented that the new cases are young 20-something bargoers and Latino frontline workers living in close quarters who attend social gatherings.

Then I guess cases will continue to rise despite the lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 83July 14, 2020 4:17 AM

[quote]Because if it is not going away soon, we just need to accept this as a part of life.

We don't.

The government exists in part to help the country through a massive crisis like this one. Trump and the GOP refuse to do anything, and that's not the same thing as "just accept everyone dying or being permanently ill as a part of life."

Betsy De Vos telling you that we just have to accept 15,000 dead kids and open up the schools doesn't mean it's true, you know. You're allowed to think for yourself and know that's not acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 84July 14, 2020 4:17 AM

Betsy De Vos is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 85July 14, 2020 4:21 AM

Tribalism trumps common sense and even self preservation. It is ruled by rage, and the rage is there because you are an American who exists, but isn’t into church, or FOX, or even Trump or politics in general.

This is why we’re not getting over this quickly. We are incapable of thinking for ourselves, thinking of others, and are fueled by rage and anger that we were convinced we felt, even if we didn’t.

People don’t wear masks because they don’t believe they cannot become infected and die. People don’t wear masks because they are willing to risk everything so that the person who dies, is you. If it’s your child or parent, even better. You can suffer, as long as they get to watch.

They’re willing to pay with their own lives for yours, if necessary, and that’s the bottom line. They have been programmed to think this way, even if they don’t recognize that this is exactly what is going on. Cult programming is so strong and effective, it can override human self preservation.

Stupidity isn’t what motivates this. It’s pure rage and hatred being acted out in the most perfect and conveniently opportune manner possible: No masks. No you. No opposition. Everyone must be like me to be ok. I am what an American is. Not you, an American.

👍🏼

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 14, 2020 4:41 AM

LA fucked themselves.

I assume tv/film production will get started in NYC sooner if we can keep new cases low and current positive results for those tested low (currently 2%), then the film community there will be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 87July 14, 2020 4:59 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 14, 2020 5:03 AM

California needs a HARD month-long lockdown, not this half-ass bullshit. If you're going to lockdown, use all your ass, not just half of your asscheeks.

by Anonymousreply 89July 14, 2020 5:03 AM

Exactly, R61 and R62!!!

Fuck them all!

by Anonymousreply 90July 14, 2020 5:17 AM

R89 is probably right. The alternative seems to be a partial shut down for a month or two, open up for a month or two. Wash, rinse, repeat. That’s worse for both businesses and for people, since it’s always better to give people a sense of certainty.

But Newsom seems stuck on his idea of a dimmer switch, and since that’s his favorite tool, he’s going to use it alone. At this point, I have no doubt we’d have been better off with Jerry Brown in charge.

by Anonymousreply 91July 14, 2020 5:21 AM

They should do what Hawaii has done.

They've been shut down since March.

Everything is closed, and no tourists are allowed in unless they quarantine for 14 days. And the ones who don't have actually been hauled in and arrested. They will be closed (tentatively) through September, assuming the number of coronavirus cases don't increase.

Sure, more than 75% have lost their jobs, the economy is dead, people are going hungry, businesses are all closing, hotels are shuttered, and the state is facing an economic crisis.

But hey, at least they don't have Covid-19. Rofl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 14, 2020 5:25 AM

R89 correct. This pussyfooting around with the whole localism bullshit, caving to business and claiming no risk with protesting ... fucked up. Lock it down. Even if we open all the way up, I don’t trust. This virus is a GOF lab leak and quite possibly was intentional.

by Anonymousreply 93July 14, 2020 5:28 AM

How is anyone affording their rent? Except for the guy with rent control

by Anonymousreply 94July 14, 2020 5:35 AM

[quote] Governor Sisolak closed all of the bars in Nevada over the weekend. They will have two weeks to see if the case numbers drop in on a county by county basis, then they can reopen in those counties that don't have rising cases. The closure included all bars within the casinos.

Wait, what?

So does that mean no drinks are available in any casinos?

That's fucking bullshit. Gambling and drinking go hand in hand.

by Anonymousreply 95July 14, 2020 5:40 AM

I actually have full confidence in Newsom. He's been a daily voice of reason and answering all questions during his daily noon broadcasts.

Personally, I'd like them to do more location-based outbreak reporting at a block-by-block detail if available.

This whole shit has gotten me really down - again - after I was somewhat hopeful a couple of weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 96July 14, 2020 5:57 AM

Just declare martial law already.

Same thing.

by Anonymousreply 97July 14, 2020 6:00 AM

Wrong, R73.

Casino bars are still open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 14, 2020 7:30 AM

Not to be THAT asshole (I am) I posted this in the Garcetti thread, but I think it is more at home, or equally at home here:

People were actually doing really well in my own California bound observation when the stay at home order was in force. People managed, adapted and in some cases did very well under it. Even though there was no fine structure in place if your were caught doing non essential activities, people parked their asses at home. Crime went down, general bullshittery went down, people got creative. Not saying it was a walk in the park AT ALL, but it drove home just how serious this all was.

Then, of fucking course, the California politicians had to get cocky because we were doing so well. I'm looking at the Governor, I'm looking at Mayors, I'm looking at all of these fuckers. No one here was starting to stomp their feet. We suddenly had other shit on our minds (#BLM), how to homeschool our kids when we couldn't do long division without a calculator. But we had adjusted. At a time when people were actually getting used to staying in, we were suddenly being "opened up". It was like laying catnip at the feet of an obese uninterested cat. Suddenly you felt like you HAD to go out. Yet few were literally equipped for it. I remember you still couldn't get masks. It's still hard. Fucking bandanas were even sold out. But people, being people went out and took the inch they were given and made it a fucking mile or ten which is human nature.

6 months of fine-enforced lock down. Seriously. I know our American culture will never be able to handle it, but that's what has to happen until anything approaching a treatment or vaccine is developed. You will need permission to leave your house, you will need permission to take a shit. It will be ugly, but it will be the only thing that works. It would have been a lot less ugly if they hadn't opened up on fucking Memorial Day, with all of the flag waving bullshit and Murican Rights of BBQ! Beach! Summer! Parties! *Right when we were nailing it, we totally undid all of that hard work. So fucking dumb. SoCal is getting the brunt of it, but NorCal, well, we were the biggest fucking entitled cunts. Masks? That's for the brown people! I live in Sausalito, I'm too pure to need a mask. I have my crystals.

I'm disgusted with everyone. We are no better than the Floridians we take such pleasure in mocking. In fact, we are worse. Sorry, rant over.

by Anonymousreply 99July 14, 2020 7:33 AM

I agree with a lot of that R86, and would add that our culture has been overwhelmed by so much fake reality (internet, reality shows, fake news) in recent decades that people have come to think of everything as manufactured drama. They've distanced themselves so much that they couldn't discern fact from fiction even if they wanted to, but honestly, they don't want to.

Add in this typical American resentment against anything that they think is taking away their fun, and we get this.

by Anonymousreply 100July 14, 2020 8:42 AM

Can I be an ignorant European and ask if there are restrictions on travel between the states? Because if you don't have that, it doesn't matter what measures are taken within a state.

by Anonymousreply 101July 14, 2020 9:03 AM

r101 Sorry for the Fucks link, but NY, NJ and CT have a number of states that are on a 14 day mandatory quarantine list for people traveling in. Great idea, good luck. Hawaii has a mandatory quarantine for every state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 14, 2020 9:12 AM

I had planned to visit family in California next month when the state seemed way ahead of NY in the Covid recovery process. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 103July 14, 2020 11:37 AM

[quote]NY, NJ and CT have a number of states that are on a 14 day mandatory quarantine list for people traveling in.

And absolutely no way of enforcing it or monitoring it. Other countries put up travelers in special hotels for two weeks and don't let them leave for any circumstances. They're provided with meals and anything else they might need. NY/NJ/CT visitors are simply told to "self-isolate" for 14 days. SPOILER ALERT: It doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 104July 14, 2020 11:44 AM

New thread specifically for TEXAS based on the super-secret intel from FCI and his Texas Governor's Office insiders at R72.

LOCKDOWN, y'all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 14, 2020 12:11 PM

r98 All bars in the casinos in Las Vegas are closed. I was just @ Red Rock Casino tonight. It was dead, very weird energy.

by Anonymousreply 106July 14, 2020 12:15 PM

r82 I was at Camp Richardson on the South Shore, it was out of control. No masks, no social distancing and NO ONE enforcing it.

by Anonymousreply 107July 14, 2020 12:18 PM

[quote]Where’s that poster that swore that nothing would be shut down again?

"Who swore," not "that swore."

by Anonymousreply 108July 14, 2020 12:50 PM

Get off my lawn before you spill mustard on my blouse. You better not be closing the Cheesecake Factory or someone will GET IT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 14, 2020 1:03 PM

My friend owns a bar in a small town in Nevada and they have built an outdoor bar in front of it.

by Anonymousreply 110July 14, 2020 1:04 PM

Went for a walk in West Hollywood. Sad to see a lot of small business closed down permanently and some restaurants having outdoor dining in their parking lots.

by Anonymousreply 111July 14, 2020 1:29 PM

[quote] NY, NJ and CT have a number of states that are on a 14 day mandatory quarantine list for people traveling in. And absolutely no way of enforcing it or monitoring it.

[quote] Other countries put up travelers in special hotels for two weeks and don't let them leave for any circumstances

The difference between interstate travel and foreign travel is that foreign countries can enforce a quarantine because everyone must be checked before entering the country, due to passport rules, etc. That's how they can monitor every person who enters the country.

Same for Hawaii. There's only one way in, and that's through air travel, thus making it easier to screen and track everyone who enters the state.

That's not the case for interstate travel, because even though we have state lines, they are not monitored by any checkpoints or "border patrol." Travel between states is completely unrestricted.

So yes, even though in theory certain states have 14 day quarantines, there's no real way to enforce it. It's based on an honor system.

by Anonymousreply 112July 14, 2020 1:39 PM

California public schools are all going to be online for the Fall, as well.

No in person classes for elementary, middle, and high school.

by Anonymousreply 113July 14, 2020 1:39 PM

Are you sure, R113?

The Orange County Board of Education voted 4-1 Monday evening to allow schools to reopen next month with in-person instruction. Students and teachers can choose to attend classes without masks and no social distancing required.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 14, 2020 1:46 PM

I was watching MSNBC earlier R114, and I'm pretty sure that's what I heard on Stephanie Ruhle's show.

I could be mistaken, though.

by Anonymousreply 115July 14, 2020 1:48 PM

OC county schools won't make masks or social distancing mandatory, while LA county will, with temp checks and the whole shebang.

by Anonymousreply 116July 14, 2020 1:55 PM

Maybe everyone should just commit mass suicide. Seems like an alternative to being a prisoner in your own home indefinitely!

by Anonymousreply 117July 14, 2020 2:37 PM

R112, most of the EU countries don't have border controls between them yet they managed to put them up for the lockdowns. Even in the UK there have been checks between England and Wales and England and Scotland.

by Anonymousreply 118July 14, 2020 2:53 PM

You first, R117.

by Anonymousreply 119July 14, 2020 2:56 PM

No schools in America should re-open for anything but mid-term and final examinations in half-capacity rooms.

All schools should be online telecourses for two years, until we have either herd immunity or a vaccine.

And with all the chronic organ damage COVID-19 seems to be doing to "recovered" people, herd immunity is looking REALLY apocalyptic.

by Anonymousreply 120July 14, 2020 3:50 PM

R98 I live in Reno and have a neighbor that works in one of the casinos. He said the bars inside the casino are closed and roped off with police tape. You can still order drinks out on the casino floor and they'll bring it to you, though.

by Anonymousreply 121July 14, 2020 3:57 PM

I have heard Biden calling for rapid testing in campaign speeches.

But right now we have a president who's trying to STOP as much testing as he can, withholds resources from states with Democratic governors and lets the states inflate prices of medical resources with furious bidding.

Dump Trump and stop the insanity!!!1

by Anonymousreply 122July 14, 2020 4:02 PM

Folks will take only so much from criminal and bankers' stooge Newsom.

Fortunately Californians have a lot of guns and ammo!

by Anonymousreply 123July 14, 2020 4:10 PM

There is no such evidence @ r39 of "immunity following infection wanes after a few weeks."

Link to a credible study of your claim. The minimum immunity period theory I've heard is one year.

I have a study that shows recovered DO have immunity and even antibodies for other coronaviruses will stop COVID-19. Though now we're getting reports of chronic, multi-organ damage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 14, 2020 4:11 PM

B.S. r41.

There was never going to be safety from just a few weeks of quarantine. The danger has always remained the same regardless of new cases. Any opening ANY time will cause a spike in cases until there's either a vaccine or herd immunity.

by Anonymousreply 125July 14, 2020 4:13 PM

Um, R124, did you stop surfing news sites over the past few days? It's been all over the news. Even Tom Hanks came out and said he's no longer immune.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 14, 2020 4:18 PM

R117 underscores the American way of life, whether doing so sarcastically, or whether being drop dead serious.

8 to 12 weeks of a lockdown, with required mask wearing and required social distancing during the lockdown and post lock down, with the post lockdown being perhaps 3-6 months of masks and social distancing when returning to work or school, is actually a far worse scenario to millions of Americans, than flattening the curve, while awaiting a vaccine.

At most, one full year of some inconvenient, yet totally possible and achievable safety measures, for the survival of our country and in order to stop the suffering of others, like a Nick Cordero, for example, is so painful and traumatic to Americans, that perhaps MASS SUICIDES NATION WIDE, are an easier and better option than choosing to live and collectively working as a great big team, for our social good.

The most important thing Trump and his presidency have unmasked is how unprepared many Americans are, to actually and truly sacrifice for America.

They constantly wave flags and self regard as true American patriots, yet the very second they are asked to participate in what is essentially, one of the most patriotic acts ever, and that’s a PAPER MASK, not military service on a hot war, they are completely unwilling to participate in that patriotic act.

They relate to this buffoon of a president because he ticks so many boxes that they also tick for and hypocrisy is definitely on the top 5 of a growing list.

Do you all realize that if DJT has done his job in late January and early February of 2020, closing borders,, shutting down & requiring masks for a slow and methodically crafted reopening, the chances of this being completely flattened and manageable right now, would probably be our reality, instead of thousands dying daily up to right now?

We could have had this completely under control as I type, and the reasons we don’t are MANY, yet they ALL begin and eventually end, with President Donald J. Trump.

by Anonymousreply 127July 14, 2020 4:20 PM

But "a treatment or vaccine" may not happen in six months, r99.

Only a vaccine or herd immunity would be the time to stop COVID precautions. But I don't think you need total lockdown or quarantine to fight it.

If rapid testing were made cheap and available in every workplace, if everybody had to wear a mask, if crowd venues operated at half-capacity with social distancing, if every public, commercial gathering place had thermometer scans like in China; if every business were using electro-static disinfection — we would bring COVID down to quarantine levels or lower without tanking the economy/ eradicating life as we know it.

by Anonymousreply 128July 14, 2020 4:42 PM

But you can still order a drink to have delivered to your table, right, r106?

It's just the elbow-to-elbow seating at the bar that's banned.

by Anonymousreply 129July 14, 2020 4:53 PM

Where I live in LA 1/2 the cunts followed the rules. The rest could care less. I hope the all get it and die.

by Anonymousreply 130July 14, 2020 4:55 PM

Nice try, Boris @ r123.

by Anonymousreply 131July 14, 2020 4:58 PM

That may be true, r126. But we need more than 64 people studied. And it may just mean people have to take the vaccine more frequently.

If it becomes like an annual flu shot thing, I'm fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 132July 14, 2020 5:05 PM

I am so angry our idiot in the White House has completely fucked up the response to this virus. Had he handled it right from the beginning we probably would be open but still taking some safety measures. But of course he’s an incompetent idiot and all those fuckers who still support him need to die in a grease fire. I am so angry at how botched this has been. We’re the laughing stock of the world. This administration can’t do shit right. If you’re angry because your bar is closed at your restaurant is closed or you’re out of money you need to blame the fucker in the White House. He and his idiot incompetent administration are the ones to blame only.

by Anonymousreply 133July 14, 2020 5:08 PM

New Zealand did it. South Korea did it. We cannot do it because we are unwilling, not because it’s impossible.

Again. There was a time frame to get this right. We were told there wasn’t a problem when that window was open.

Every single opportunity to get this right at multiple junctures, was missed or mismanaged. Not closing down all at the same time and not re-opening back up all at the same was the result of missing the second window of opportunity.

A responsible federal government would have said, “Everyone shut down, everyone reopen slowly, everyone follow the same reopening procedures, wearing masks and social distancing. During shutdown, we, your federal government, will acquire all PPE and reliable and prolific testing kits, testing sites, and large contact testing units with employees all trained the same way, and using the same software and database. We will be transparent and work together “.

Instead, we got GA, and TX barely closing and reopening immediately, Florida denying infections and deaths and hiding it all until 2 weeks ago, and that’s literally what Governor De Santis did, so no hyperbole, and other states like Nebraska, still playing the hide and seek and just lie game that made Florida so successful, Disney World is now open.

This could have and should have been handled correctly. We will not reach containment because people are unwilling to wear masks and social distance. That is largely attributed to their president and FOX News, calling this a flu, or a a virus in need of sunshine and bleach. The beginning of Fauci’s takedown is a clear example of not just poor leadership, but intentionally harmful leadership to the point of an evil that has nothing to do with anything regarding public health policy or economic recovery, yet points to the intentional destruction of lives and the American economy.

This virus is actually second to the destructive pathology this White House insists Americans embrace and court.

There’s something profoundly wrong here, and the fact that people cannot recognize that they are now intentionally being put at risk, is more alarming then the fact they they actually think that this is their freedom and their own choice.

It certainly is not.

by Anonymousreply 134July 14, 2020 5:10 PM

In my suburban just outside of Houston there was a protest about bars closing. So one bar owner opened up to defy the governor and 100 people showed up and guess what do you think they wore masks? I didn’t see one person on the news who was wearing mask at this bar. So you want your bar open but you’re not going to require masks? And you’re not gonna wear one? These are the fucking idiots we need to throw in jail right now.

by Anonymousreply 135July 14, 2020 5:17 PM

R135, it’s not even their fault that they think or act this way. They too, are victims who are unwittingly being used to create and sustain harm, rather than risk aversion and containment.

It really is evil. Our government has fooled millions of Americans into believing that wearing a mask and social distancing is as or more harmful to their communities and their country, than widespread death and repeated economic shutdowns which eventually create more widespread harm and more economic instability for all.

It makes zero sense if you just pop your head out of your ass for a second and think, “Why is my refusal to wear a mask for pure safety reasons, more important than containment of a virus that will never go away unless I wear a mask?”

This is a very simple and easy fix, and it’s untenable and unachievable, because the very thing that can save us, has been made to falsely represent the thing that will and is destroying us. And that’s all to do with sustaining large and massive level of anger, because anger is the one emotion that is highly accessible and the only emotion that will cause you to literally become incapable of logical thought processes when you’re experiencing widespread crisis that requires immediate action to save your life.

This is what must be done for a second term for Trump in the WH. And he is only jockeying for that second term, so that he can literally hide out on the White House, and not face pending criminal charges that are awaiting him, the moment he is no longer president.

by Anonymousreply 136July 14, 2020 5:33 PM

Hope they take his liquor license.

by Anonymousreply 137July 14, 2020 5:33 PM

r135, a death cult

by Anonymousreply 138July 14, 2020 5:39 PM

Stay angry or stay safe?

Or are we just too angry to even choose?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 14, 2020 5:42 PM

This is really happening to many of us, and it’s why we won’t contain this pandemic anytime soon:

Key takeaways:

Leaders get people to follow them, even when it’s not in the followers’ economic or other interests.

Leaders use emotion and identity to attract and manipulate followers

They define in-group and out-group by manipulating emotions, especially fear, anger, and outrage. (I would note that President Trump's use of "foreign virus" and ordering travel bans for foreign nationals from Europe in his Oval Office speech on 3/11/20 fits his pattern of blaming outsiders and non-Americans for problems. —RC)

They solidify an in-group and stress unity against some out-group which they claim poses a threat.

Emotion provides information for decision-making, especially in the allocation of resources for in-groups and against out-groups.

Emotion focuses attention. “Emotion is an efficient way for leaders to manipulate followers.”

Specific emotions are used strategically.

Gender differences in emotion are important. White suburban women, for example, did indeed become a key swing group from 2016 to 2018.

“Identity is pretty fungible.” We classify each other in a variety of ways (race, gender, class, religion, etc.)

We pick identities to enhance self-esteem, create community, enhance a sense of status and power, and allow us to feel good about ourselves.

Leaders can take advantage of this and again, use identity strategically.

But our ideas of identities and their boundaries change – for example, gender identity is now being recognized as being more fluid and not binary.

Through emotional persuasion, leaders get followers to adhere to a particular partisan identity.

Leaders emphasize that by sticking with them, followers can avoid harm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 14, 2020 5:49 PM

Interesting, R134.

You make some good points.

by Anonymousreply 141July 14, 2020 6:01 PM

R141, here’s more from an actual neuroscientist, who explains how it all works.

Great educational video for everyone, regardless of political persuasion.

Highly informative and really easy to understand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 14, 2020 6:06 PM

So essentially, it's too late for us to fix the problem.

It really won't go away.

by Anonymousreply 143July 14, 2020 6:09 PM

SF Bay Area is doing much better than LA. LA is responsible for more than 30% of the state’s new cases alone. Half of new cases are Latino population. I think this may be partly due to many Latino workers who are employed as essential workers (food/ retail etc..).

This means that things in LA will be impacted until end of this year hopefully by then the first vaccines will be ready for use on healthcare workers.

by Anonymousreply 144July 14, 2020 6:21 PM

LA is also more than 3x the population of SF, SD, Sacramento and most every other major city in the state.

by Anonymousreply 145July 14, 2020 6:29 PM

R144, also, Latin-American born families as well as those who have grandparents who immigrated into the United States legally and had their own kids born in America, as well as grandkids who are in grade school all the way up to college, tend to live together.

It’s normal and not culturally frowned upon.

That said, I read that this is a huge driver in Miami Dade County, in FL.

Cuban Americans who have multigenerational family members are now hubs of infection points.

The grandkids aren’t wearing masks because they’re little, but they bring the virus home. Or the son or daughter of the elderly go to work, or shop without wearing masks, and boom, the grandparents are going to the hospital and dying.

This is probably happening in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California. Heavily populated with multigenerational Hispanic populations, living 5 or more under one roof, and cross infecting family members who range to being asymptotic, mildly ill, sick for a week or so with a fever, and even fevers and respiratory symptoms leading them to hospitalization and death.

This is a unique population in that they’re not in nursing homes, their families are vectors of the virus, and they are more susceptible to infection and fatal outcomes once infected, than other populations.

by Anonymousreply 146July 14, 2020 6:35 PM

R144 No it’s not just straight numbers it’s the percentages.

by Anonymousreply 147July 14, 2020 6:40 PM

Here’s the link to the percentage breakdown R144

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 14, 2020 6:40 PM

To me this just encapsulates the problem we are facing in LA. Protests are tricky and they are a first amendment right. However, when you see someone like Garrett going unmasked like this, what kind of message does that send to the public at large. Note many are masked, but many in the photo not. This is not a BLM issue, but a leadership matter. Talk about a conflicting messages from local leadership and then of course compound that with the utter cluster fuck in the White House. Peoples heads are spinning. I really have no faith in our politicians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 14, 2020 6:46 PM

Sorry, replies in R147/ R148 were meant as reply to R145. It’s not just that LA has more new cases number-wise but it has way higher percentages per 100,000 people in comparison

by Anonymousreply 150July 14, 2020 6:47 PM

In San Francisco, the Latinx-heavy Mission is the hardest hit area. UCSF did an intensive study there in April/May, testing the majority of residents in a 16-square block radius. The results clearly show the determinants of infection in SF and, presumably, other cities with socio-economic segregation. White Mission residents could afford to shelter at home; Latinx residents couldn't.

[quote]Comparison of PCR and antibody results for census tract residents revealed that, the vast majority (96 percent) of new infections were occurring in the Latinx community by the end of April, whereas those infected earlier in the pandemic were somewhat more representative of the neighborhood as a whole (67 percent Latinx, 16 percent white, 17 percent other). Other risk factors for recent infections in late April were inability to shelter in place and maintain income, frontline service work, unemployment, and household income of less than $50,000 per year.

[quote]“Although San Francisco’s early shelter-in-place order surely prevented the overwhelming numbers of hospitalizations and deaths that were seen in other parts of the country, the disproportionate effects on communities of color are similar to those we see elsewhere,” said Jon Jacobo, a leader of the Latino Task Force for Covid-19 and a co-author on the new preprint study.

It's worth reading the whole report. The response underway is replicable: intensive, community-specific health resources without financial, language, or immigration status barriers. UCSF's care is being delivered via Ward 86 at San Francisco General Hospital (now Zuckerberg General, yechh), which many will recognize as the country's first and foremost AIDS treatment unit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 14, 2020 6:59 PM

Please please please stop using the term "LATINX!"

I hate it!

by Anonymousreply 152July 14, 2020 7:06 PM

R101

Just announced

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 14, 2020 7:08 PM

R146 I wonder if people who are of lower socioeconomic status (which includes some people of Mexican descent, recent immigrants, etc--I know, call me a racist) don't have as much access to proper information (ie., they don't have broadband, laptops, or the time to read a range of newspapers, etc). They may only watch local news, which as some of us know are mostly owned by Sinclair Broadcasting, a right wing outfit. No doubt like Fox, the Sinclair stations have been nonstop saying for months that covid is no big deal like the flu and we should open everything up. Or they're getting their information from Facebook, which is a giant toilet for spreading lies and bullshit.

I also agree that having large, extended families living together with no social distancing is also a problem. Or they don't have a big house like Chris Cuomo where one person can go live in the basement for 2 weeks until they are no longer spreaders.

by Anonymousreply 154July 14, 2020 7:17 PM

Just in case, I just went to several stores [because there are limits to the quantity you can buy] and bought toilet paper/detergent &additives/hand soap & disinfectant to last me a good five months.

I'm set.

by Anonymousreply 155July 14, 2020 7:18 PM

r154, it's not that, it's because they've been working all through the pandemic as housekeeping, janitorial, construction, garbage disposal, agricultural help, cooks, etc, because they have to, and have been exposed as much as healthcare workers, without all the PPE that healthcare workers have.

by Anonymousreply 156July 14, 2020 7:32 PM

That's a good idea, R155.

I'd better do the same. The first go-round in March was a real shit show.

by Anonymousreply 157July 14, 2020 7:34 PM

R157, yes. Since the distribution flow is better now, this is the time when you should stock on the necessary items that might run out later on...

by Anonymousreply 158July 14, 2020 7:42 PM

Oracle, keep that hoarding shit to the moronic Corona Poll Troll threads.

BTW, this is a VERY racist thread with all of the Mexican bashing.

by Anonymousreply 159July 14, 2020 8:06 PM

I haven’t had a haircut in six months and it’s longer than it’s been in decades. My hair rivals Albert Einstein in length and wildness. I live in Southern California and a month ago the COVID-19 issues looked like they were improving but I never caught my barber’s shop open and now, with the numbers skyrocketing everything is shut tight again. I’m thinking of buzzcutting it all off because it’s driving me crazy now. Will I regret that? It’s either that or I’ll have to start parting it in the middle and making pigtails on either side of my head like Willie Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 160July 14, 2020 8:11 PM

One word, r160....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 14, 2020 8:15 PM

[quote]Just in case, I just went to several stores [because there are limits to the quantity you can buy] and bought toilet paper/detergent &additives/hand soap & disinfectant to last me a good five months. I'm set.

Stock up for another 6 months beyond what you currently have and then you'll be set.

by Anonymousreply 162July 14, 2020 8:18 PM

Shave it off, R160. It'll grow back (hopefully).

by Anonymousreply 163July 14, 2020 8:19 PM

Yeah, I have the same problem with my hair. Last haircut was in early March. I'll soon be approaching manbun territory.

by Anonymousreply 164July 14, 2020 9:18 PM

^^^ Oh! Put dog-ears on either side of your head.

by Anonymousreply 165July 14, 2020 9:27 PM

I ordered a very nice, rather expensive hair clipper in March and its been doing the trick. You need a good one with sharp blades and its easy to have a nice buzz cut. Stylish cuts will have to wait. I'm cleaning my cellar (I live in an apartment building but we have reasonably big cellars) and have been laying in booze and some imported jarred food. Not to prepper level, but some good stuff to eat if there are some sketchy contagious months to come next winter. There will always be something to eat in the grocery stores but there may not be the ethnic foods I enjoy that are shipped in from around the globe.

by Anonymousreply 166July 14, 2020 9:29 PM

For all of you bitching about not having had a haircut in months, just fucking do a buzzcut! It’s just hair! It will grow back! You will also be surprised at how liberating it feels.

by Anonymousreply 167July 14, 2020 9:32 PM

^^^ I kind of like the feel of stroking a fuzzy head….

by Anonymousreply 168July 14, 2020 9:33 PM

^^^ I kind of like the feel of stroking a fuzzy head….

by Anonymousreply 169July 14, 2020 9:34 PM

I think when you're pretty, it doesn't matter how you wear your hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 14, 2020 9:44 PM

I've been giving myself buzzcuts and it's not bad at all. Tip: do it outside so you don't have to clean up all that hair.

by Anonymousreply 171July 14, 2020 10:51 PM

Give us a before and after, R160

by Anonymousreply 172July 14, 2020 11:06 PM

Exactly, R156. One of the home test administrators here in SF said he was shocked at the tripling and quadrupling-up of families in the Mission. But when you work minimum wage jobs, how else can you afford rent? So even when people know they've been exposed--which many are, lacking proper PPE and/or workplaces that enforce distancing--it's impossible to isolate. One of the UCSF interventions is to provide safe housing and financial support to positive residents. People are much more likely to get tested and cooperate when there are practical solutions.

by Anonymousreply 173July 14, 2020 11:36 PM

R152, Sorry if "Latinx" offends your delicate sensibilities, but it's widely adopted, both formally and informally. In this case, UCSF, the preeminent medical school/hospital system in California, officially uses it, e.g, the UCSF Latinx Center of Excellence. Use whatever language you want, but stomping your tiny feet because you "hate" others' usage is, to be polite, immature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 14, 2020 11:38 PM

R174, over 80% of Latinos do not like being called Latinx. It's racist to impose it on them.

by Anonymousreply 175July 14, 2020 11:43 PM

Love it when white people decide who gets to get called what.

Now back to scrubbing toilets Guadalupe and weed-whacking Luis. Karen is standing up for you!

by Anonymousreply 176July 14, 2020 11:59 PM

[quote]One of the home test administrators here in SF said he was shocked at the tripling and quadrupling-up of families in the Mission.

They live in cramped quarters with multiple family members. White people refused to continue living this way several generations ago.

by Anonymousreply 177July 15, 2020 12:09 AM

"Latinx" is imposing English-language rules on Spanish. Hilarious that it's seen as being woke and correct by those who use it.

Many Latino/ Hispanic (yes, there is a difference) people I know find it condescending and just another example of white people's utter condescension and cluelessness.

by Anonymousreply 178July 15, 2020 12:11 AM

R177 our leaders want us to return to this way of living even as they acknowledge the public safety risk. It’s not just Latinos but increasingly college aged people working gig jobs. What California doesn’t understand is that people live this way mostly out of necessity due to cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 179July 15, 2020 12:15 AM

thank you R174 for declaring what Latinos (whoops I mean Latinx!) should be called. If you knew anyone from Latin America, NO ONE refers to themselves as Latinx. Just white saviors dictating what we should be called.

When I visited my family in Costa Rica and mentioned this to them, they had never heard of it and rolled their eyes. Latinx is a white dictum that no one agreed to.

by Anonymousreply 180July 15, 2020 12:16 AM

R178 Oh but we go to Cabo every year and we just love your people!!!

by Anonymousreply 181July 15, 2020 12:19 AM

I'm sure you're all Latino/a/x criticizing the Latinx usage, right? I'm in San Francisco, my partner is Latino (see what I did there?), and I promise you that UCSF is adopting language that fits the preference of staff and locals.

Language changes. Get used it it.

by Anonymousreply 182July 15, 2020 12:21 AM

Really, R177? Ask the tech bros living in bunkbeds in SOMA. When a one-bedroom rents for $4K, apartments get crowded, whether it's service workers, gig workers, non-profit workers or teachers. Maybe the service workers have several generations crowding in, but the tech kids are just as vulnerable when they're stuffed into hives with shared common spaces.

by Anonymousreply 183July 15, 2020 12:25 AM

Young people starting out have always lived with multiple roommates. That's different than families.

by Anonymousreply 184July 15, 2020 12:27 AM

Here's an example of what we're up against in Southern California:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 15, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote] Oh but we go to Cabo every year and we just love your people!!!

You people make such wonderful fish tacos! Oh, and the salsa is to die for.

Psst, would you be a dear and grab me another margarita? No salt on the rim. Gracias!

by Anonymousreply 186July 15, 2020 12:30 AM

Please, PLEASE R182 go around Latin America and start wagging your finger at the locals about how they need to accept being called Latinx because "UCSF said so!" And do it in your whiniest little bitch voice. You know, your normal one.

On a separate note, since you won't be coming back, can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 187July 15, 2020 12:30 AM

In high cost cities they're not all so young, R184. And they're certainly not used to having all the housemates home at once. As far as this virus is concerned, indoor over-crowding is a huge vector. Maybe some of the young people can stay with mom and dad in suburbia while they're working off-site, but the day laborers and prep cooks can't.

by Anonymousreply 188July 15, 2020 12:30 AM

It's not a usage adopted in Latin America, for chrissakes. It's in the US. Parts of the US. Seriously, don't just spout off because you googled some poll. We know Datalounge has a reactionary streak with anything concerning gender, but calm your tits and use your noggins.

by Anonymousreply 189July 15, 2020 12:32 AM

Now you're going to tell people what to do with their tits and their noggins?!?!? You really are a piece of work R189!

by Anonymousreply 190July 15, 2020 12:38 AM

Of course the natural solution is to import more low skilled workers into the country. We need more, more, and more.

by Anonymousreply 191July 15, 2020 12:52 AM

Has it been stated what metric they're looking to see to determine when things can undergo a phased re-opening again? I realize they can't necessarily guarantee a specific time frame (two weeks, a month, etc.) for reopening, but it would be nice to be able to chart our progress so we can potentially get a sense that things are improving or moving in the right direction. Target dates can obviously change, but it is psychologically better to have a point in the future to look forward to, rather than this nebulous closure without a specific endgame.

by Anonymousreply 192July 15, 2020 2:05 AM

It's not adopted in the US as much as it is being imposed on Latinos, especially young Latinos. Go around the Latin meccas of the US and see how "Latinx" is received.

Latinos call themselves Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 193July 15, 2020 2:10 AM

Re the vid @ 185, just let them get it. Take it home to wifey, gramps, gran, little Susie and Bobbie Boy. Fuck then. Why waste any more time and $$$ on these idiot asswipes. America is a sick and dying empire.

by Anonymousreply 194July 15, 2020 2:28 AM

If they have, R192, they’ve done a poor job communicating it. Testing used to be the major metric, but now the message is that negative tests don’t really mean anything because you can step out of the testing site and catch it. That isn’t false, but it really conveys a message of hopelessness, and probably dissuades testing.

by Anonymousreply 195July 15, 2020 2:49 AM

Are all the celebs that live there going to cry about how they feel like prisoners in their sprawling mansions?

by Anonymousreply 196July 15, 2020 2:50 AM

Yeah and UCSF is the end all be all for Latino culture in the US.

Another white supremacist who thinks because he's poundin he Latino ass he gets to tell everyone he knows what's best.

Stick to LatinXXX cock in your mouth and shut up.

by Anonymousreply 197July 15, 2020 2:54 AM

In defense of the LatinXYZ in California, who statistically are a target spreading group, tons of Asians and Indians also live multigenerationally.

A lot of the tech workers also shack up 4 to a room in coolie tenements.

But unlike LatinOABC, their cultures are far more used to wearing masks and other adjustments to address living in close quarters.

by Anonymousreply 198July 15, 2020 3:02 AM

I guess they have to change the lyrics to

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear a mask on your face.

by Anonymousreply 199July 15, 2020 3:34 AM

So we need to target the Latino communities with more information campaigns. That's something to do. Latinos make up 19% of the population and 31% of the COVID cases. So yes, it's higher, but it isn't all Latinos.

The video posted above at Huntington Beach was depressing. OC has a lot of Republicans and assholes, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. Of course, they edited it a lot - and targeting only those without masks, so not really a true representation. But still - enough assholes for me.

And this is all due to Trump and Republicans politicizing masks. If it was an order from Trump and Republicans to wear masks, they'd all do it. It's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 200July 15, 2020 3:35 AM

Just saw a story that the cases in the U.S. Virgin Islands have skyrocketed since May, due to tourists bringing it in.

by Anonymousreply 201July 15, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote]So we need to target the Latino communities with more information campaigns.

Many of them are illiterate.

by Anonymousreply 202July 15, 2020 3:52 AM

There was a dipshit outside the grocery store wearing one of these masks, the kind that cover your eyes but not your nose and mouth.

Is that the latest fuck-everybody idiocy from the anti-mask fools? Wear a "face covering" that does nothing about the spread of droplets?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203July 15, 2020 4:03 AM

Please list the no mask/no lockdown countries, if there are any that we are allowed to know about.

by Anonymousreply 204July 15, 2020 8:04 AM

The deplorables live Huntington Beach.

by Anonymousreply 205July 15, 2020 8:08 AM

[quote] tons of Asians and Indians also live multigenerationally.

Especially philipinnos.

They live like 50 of them in one house.

by Anonymousreply 206July 15, 2020 10:08 AM

R151, what do actual native language Spanish-speakers think of the term "Latinx". They must think it's fucking pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 207July 15, 2020 10:17 AM

I'm sure they don't think anything of it, R207.

It's just some ridiculous word made up by some clueless white people who are trying to be politically correct, yet culturally WRONG.

Meanwhile, Latinos continue to wake up at 4 a.m. to go to their multiple shitty service jobs. They don't have the time nor the energy to be bothered with such ridiculousness.

by Anonymousreply 208July 15, 2020 10:23 AM

It's surprising that these state leaders keep closing everything.

They clearly don't have a clue.

Coronavirus isn't going anywhere.

Government keeps thinking that by shutting everything down (while also killing the economy), the problem will be solved.

WRONG!

The solution isn't to keep closing everything, and just "hoping and praying" everything will get better.

The solution is how to LIVE with this virus. Because it's going to be around for a very, very long time.

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 209July 15, 2020 10:53 AM

Especially California, R209, which definitively proved that a shutdown alone does not stop the virus. It has to be a shutdown plus testing plus contact tracing, otherwise it shifts all the responsibility for containment on the public, many of whom can’t because their situations make it impossible, or won’t because humans are fallible.

And we can yell all we want about how people should just park their asses in front of the couch for however long, but all the screaming back in April about how we’re all spoiled and should just be at home because Anne Frank stayed in the attic while Grandpa stormed the beach at Normandy didn’t stop it last time. What’s going to be different now that people are even more numb to the news and even more restless?

Policies have to change, and be a lot smarter, especially now that we have more info than we did in March. Another shutdown is just doing the same thing over again that didn’t work last time.

by Anonymousreply 210July 15, 2020 3:51 PM

We also have to accept that some places have to remain shutdown even after everything else is opened back up, as long as the virus is still with us in a substantial way. Bars, theaters, indoor arenas ... these sectors are going to need governmental assistance so they can survive while remaining closed.

by Anonymousreply 211July 15, 2020 4:09 PM

We're open!

We're closed!

We're open!

We're closed!

We're open!

We're closed!

So is this how it's going to be for the next two years? If so, I'm just going to stay home and never leave again.

by Anonymousreply 212July 15, 2020 4:50 PM

I feel like there's a whore joke in there somewhere R212.....

by Anonymousreply 213July 15, 2020 4:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214July 15, 2020 8:19 PM

r65, I know about Disney World. Florida is where old people go to retire. Population is very vulnerable. I would think they would want to be slow with opening up.

Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and the Dakotas - open the fuck up because no one lives there. But Florida is cray cray.

by Anonymousreply 215July 15, 2020 9:00 PM

r79, there is no science that says you can't get it again.

by Anonymousreply 216July 15, 2020 9:02 PM

r84, it's not the kids that are going to die. It's their teachers and parents. So instead of 15k dead kids, there will be 90k orphans.

by Anonymousreply 217July 15, 2020 9:04 PM

I heard that Pete Buttigieg was holding indoor events in California wine caves. Someone should look into him.

by Anonymousreply 218July 15, 2020 9:12 PM

r99, being on lock down for 2 months was doable. Most people got behind it and did it. But they all got cabin fever and brought into the idea that when it's warm and during the summer the Rona would just disappear (who said that) but asking people to stay inside and under quarantine for 4 months was a bit much. People needed to get out. The problem was we could not be trusted to social distance. Common sense went out the window.

Now if they would start ticketing people who aren't social distancing or wearing a mask that would be a good idea. I haven;t seen the ticket return for the alternate side of the street parking. What are those people doing? They should drive around, if you have no mask they pull up and write you a ticket. Don't want to present your ID, they call in for the police. At the beach not 6 feet away, here come the tickets. In a group more than 4 or 10, not sure what the rules are time for that ticket. Maybe give a ticket to entire group. Start at $32 , 2nd offense $75, and then just keep increasing it every time you are caught out there.

by Anonymousreply 219July 15, 2020 9:14 PM

r113, its for each district to decide. There are many districts in Los Angeles County and Orange County.

The city of LA will have online classes. Orange County voted to open schools and not wear masks or social distancing but it's left up to the individual districts to make those choices. That will be decided by parents and what teachers unions want to do.

by Anonymousreply 220July 15, 2020 9:19 PM

You can mandate mask-wearing all you want. I live in a state where masks have been mandatory since early April. It doesn’t matter much because anytime I go into a store, at least half of the people in there, including workers, are wearing their mask like this:

You can’t mandate people to not be stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 15, 2020 9:24 PM

r182, no. It's not the US language to fucking change. There are masculine and feminine words in the Spanish language and that's the way it will stay.

la casa = ela casx?

What the fuck does that change to.

by Anonymousreply 222July 15, 2020 9:35 PM

I think the trouble, R119, is that so much of the spread occurs where cops can’t ticket people. You can have cops making sure everyone walking around has a mask on, even though the chances of outdoor transmission are far lower, but then those people will be at a get-together with half a dozen friends indoors, where no one is wearing a mask. And that’s where infections happen.

The state just can’t feasibly prevent those gatherings, so no matter how many public spaces Newsom closes (like museums, which are places where people walk around, generally don’t mingle and are expressly forbidden from touching anything!), the virus will continue to spread. So there has to be a different solution.

by Anonymousreply 223July 15, 2020 9:44 PM

[quote]They should drive around, if you have no mask they pull up and write you a ticket. Don't want to present your ID, they call in for the police.

We've cancelled the police.

by Anonymousreply 224July 15, 2020 9:55 PM

"The solution is how to LIVE with this virus. Because it's going to be around for a very, very long time"

The way to do that was for the public to take responsibility, and maintain their social distancing, mask wearing, and hand hygiene.

The public failed, either through ignorance or indifference or assholery, and now the healthcare system is being overwhelmed in some areas. The hospitals in Imperial County are full, and about 20 people are being airlifted out of the area a day, and the new lockdown is to keep the same thing from happening statewide.

by Anonymousreply 225July 15, 2020 9:58 PM

R182 The Spanish language is not for the imperialist USA to change. You have nothing to teach the Spanish speaking world.

by Anonymousreply 226July 15, 2020 10:53 PM

R226 BUT UCSF SAYS SO LOL. Some people are so blind to their own entitled, albeit clueless, arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 227July 15, 2020 11:45 PM

r223, r224,

I'm talking about meter maids and the traffic enforcement. Those people aren't real cops.

by Anonymousreply 228July 16, 2020 3:33 AM

Now that people are seeing deaths happen, they may finally get the message. Along with local news that hospitals are full. Yes, there are still idiots in denial - but a huge portion of the population has gotten the message in the past week. Before it was a NYC problem. Now the same thing is happening in their hometown. America is vast and a huge swath of the country is connected only to their local community. Now those communities are affected.

by Anonymousreply 229July 16, 2020 3:41 AM

Rose Parade now cancelled.

There goes 2021!

by Anonymousreply 230July 16, 2020 3:49 AM

They're smart to cancel the Tournament of Roses Parade.

People would be fucking pissed if they had to put in so much time and effort to make those flower covered floats, only to have the parade cancelled at the last minute.

I think that people are starting to get the picture that life is not going to be returning to normal, even next year.

For that reason, events scheduled for the first half of 2021 should be cancelled, as well. Next year is only six months away, and this virus/pandemic is still going strong.

by Anonymousreply 231July 16, 2020 4:20 AM

Latinx is just stupid as the womyn and herstory crap.

No Latino or Latina respects some woke millenial telling them how they should call themselves. GTFO already.

SF native here. UCSF is only a medical school - no social science expertise whatsoever. They should stick to the basics becausr Latinos make uo 50% of the cases in The City. Ain't no one got time for that Latinx BS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232July 16, 2020 4:34 AM

What do they call men or women or non-binary or gender non-conforming people from the kingdom from Frozen?

I don’t know, either, given they’re fictional, but I do know what every last one of them would sing to R232.

by Anonymousreply 233July 16, 2020 5:09 AM

Will designer masks be a hot Christmas gift this year?

by Anonymousreply 234July 16, 2020 5:21 AM

Once we get an effective vaccine, life will return to normal. Until then it’s quarantine life. We’re in this for the duration which will likely be another six months to a year. If the cruise lines can avoid bankruptcy I’ll book a cruise then.

by Anonymousreply 235July 16, 2020 5:49 AM

R235 Sorry, but a vaccine readily available for the mass public won't be ready til 2022. It's scrambling for effective treatments until then.

by Anonymousreply 236July 16, 2020 6:17 AM

Young people and alleged "Christians' spoiled the broth. Christians did not care enough to keep themselves alive.

by Anonymousreply 237July 16, 2020 6:23 AM

When did this "X" thing happen? Is it supposed to be a gender neutral plural suffix (or whatever you would call it)?

Filipinix?

by Anonymousreply 238July 16, 2020 2:52 PM

Gringx

by Anonymousreply 239July 16, 2020 5:33 PM

Blax?

by Anonymousreply 240July 16, 2020 5:36 PM

The vaccines will be designed to take care of the pensions problem, Mary r235

by Anonymousreply 241July 16, 2020 5:38 PM

LBGTQIA = X

by Anonymousreply 242July 16, 2020 6:08 PM

LGBTX.

Fucking idiots.

This is why people don't take the "Wokes" seriously.

by Anonymousreply 243July 16, 2020 6:11 PM

Chinesx?

Japanesx?

Vietnamesx?

by Anonymousreply 244July 16, 2020 7:43 PM

MxN

WxMxN

Childrxn

Dogx

Catx

TxPx

BxTTxMx

by Anonymousreply 245July 16, 2020 8:34 PM

I believe the only words that need an -x are those with gender-specific suffixes, like Latino, Filipino, etc. But I guess you could extend it to other kinds of words (i.e., ones that don't denote race or ethnicity) -- like amigx, hermanx, chicx, etc.

by Anonymousreply 246July 16, 2020 11:31 PM

Whitex Lives Matter!

by Anonymousreply 247July 16, 2020 11:34 PM

I don't give a shit about the Latinx, but given that COVID is spreading fastest among Latino communities, it's only a matter of time before immigration and the wall issue comes up again.

What's being done to spread the word with the Latino households?

I don't think it's that they are front-line workers, they're just not following the rules. There are just as many poor black and white front line workers and it's not increasing as much for them.

So let's stop with the Latino martyr explanation for the case increase.

by Anonymousreply 248July 17, 2020 12:04 AM

Whites are preoccupied with patting themselves on the back for adopting Latinx to educate Latinos about their backwards way.

They don't actually give a shit about them. Hence the problem.

In their defense, good luck trying to get Latinos to social distance. They live to be social. Even when swine flu wreaked havoc through Mexico a decade ago, mask compliance was spotty at best.

Oh and you're welcome to come to Puerto Vallarta amigx!

by Anonymousreply 249July 17, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote]Whites are preoccupied with patting themselves on the back for adopting Latinx to educate Latinos about their backwards way.

Yeah, almost no whites care about “Latinx”. It’s a few whack jobs on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 250July 17, 2020 12:24 AM

Will they next be teaching the French and the Italians how to speak their languages?

They wouldn't dare try to push them around. But Latinos are fair game.

by Anonymousreply 251July 17, 2020 12:25 AM

r248, whom do you think are doing the housecleaning in the hospitals and elderly care homes? And do you think they're giving them clean or multiple PPE if even the medical workers aren't getting it?

by Anonymousreply 252July 17, 2020 12:29 AM

r251 Italians would tell them to go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 253July 17, 2020 12:31 AM

R251, the French would spit on them.

by Anonymousreply 254July 17, 2020 12:36 AM

Look, it's not racist to call out certain elements of Latino culture that may be contributing to COVID-19 spread. I've had to say to patients many of them Latino, that no you cannot go to large gatherings or parties. Not your best friend's gender reveal party, oh she can't do it online? Well that's too bad cuz you're not going you're pregnant, do you want 'Rona?. No you cannot go to your cousin's quinceañera I don't care how many pretty girls are going to be there. What your nephew Chuy is having a party with 8 of his friends? No you can't go you have asthma and diabetes.

The best elements of Latino culture also happens to be a risk factor right now. We need to educate the community and provide short term housing if necessary to stop the spread. Truth is that many low income Latino families, legal or illegal, do live in multi-generational and household homes. It's not unusual to have 10 people from 2-3 related families living together in a 2-bedroom apartment. I once had a patient who lived in a house with 18 other people all in the same extended family.

by Anonymousreply 255July 17, 2020 12:59 AM

[quote]It's not unusual to have 10 people from 2-3 related families living together in a 2-bedroom apartment. I once had a patient who lived in a house with 18 other people all in the same extended family.

That is appalling in the US in this day and age. First-world people refused to live that way generations ago.

by Anonymousreply 256July 17, 2020 1:02 AM

R256 Hey, whatever's good for the top 1%.

by Anonymousreply 257July 17, 2020 1:40 AM

R256 Well listen to her!

by Anonymousreply 258July 17, 2020 1:43 AM

We were constantly told that importing more low skilled labor was good for the economy however all it means is that you have more people with less money who are spending money creating wealth for the top 1% who contribute very little to the American economy. Meanwhile, you have multiple people crammed into tiny living spaces and who are living paycheck to paycheck. However, if you say we need more controlled immigration, you're accused of being a racist. One of the biggest scams of all time. Tech companies have even worse inequality with tech CEOs pocketing billions who escape criticism by writing checks to organizations like BLM.

by Anonymousreply 259July 17, 2020 1:50 AM

If you're offering to pay their rent, I bet a lot of them would be glad to live eith fewer people, r256.

[quote]Christians did not care enough to keep themselves alive.

My bestie, sister, and several of my supervisors are Christians. Every one of them takes mask wearing seriously. Don't conflate Fundie MAGA nutjobs with everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 260July 17, 2020 1:52 AM

The world is going to be spazzed for years to come. Local lockdowns, schools closing on and off, people who've never passed an exam going to uni to be taught remotely. A generation of dumbasses is downloading because of corona.

by Anonymousreply 261July 17, 2020 1:54 AM

They're already dumbasses, r261. Many schools aren't allowed to give failing grades and pass them to the next grade, regardless of how well they know the material.

by Anonymousreply 262July 17, 2020 1:57 AM

[quote]If you're offering to pay their rent, I bet a lot of them would be glad to live eith fewer people

i guess I'll have to, since you're too busy hanging off your cross.

by Anonymousreply 263July 17, 2020 6:03 AM

The glamorization of the gig economy is yet another scam. People who work contract jobs have to work just as hard, if not harder, to find their next gig. Even well known actors can't survive in Hollywood without steady work.

by Anonymousreply 264July 17, 2020 6:17 AM

[quote]i guess I'll have to, since you're too busy hanging off your cross.

Bitch, please. Go back to troll school and work on the basics again, as you obviously haven't mastered them yet.

by Anonymousreply 265July 17, 2020 6:47 AM

r265 they live in third world conditions in the first world. They're exploited. That's not untrue.

by Anonymousreply 266July 17, 2020 7:24 AM

Elect tyrants and you get what you voted for!

by Anonymousreply 267July 17, 2020 11:03 AM

What about the majority of Americans who didn't vote for him, R267?

Why should we have to suffer for the stupidity of Deplorables and red state assholes?

by Anonymousreply 268July 17, 2020 3:24 PM

[quote] Elect tyrants and you get what you voted for!

So what does this statement have to do with California?

by Anonymousreply 269July 17, 2020 3:25 PM

We were talking about California, moron r268.

by Anonymousreply 270July 17, 2020 3:52 PM

[quote]they live in third world conditions in the first world. They're exploited. That's not untrue.

I never said they weren't. I put your money where your mouth is instead of posting critical bullshit about how white people supposedly stopped living this way generations ago.

by Anonymousreply 271July 17, 2020 4:50 PM

*I said

by Anonymousreply 272July 17, 2020 4:53 PM

R271 White people used to settle down and start families in their early 20s and stayed in the same job for years. The situation today is in no way similar.

by Anonymousreply 273July 17, 2020 5:37 PM

Latinx is strange for so many reasons . I'm Hispanic, not Latino. so while I see Latinx is meant to be gender neutral our language, Spanish, is not. Everything is masc or fem This will never change

by Anonymousreply 274July 17, 2020 5:44 PM

One thing this Covid thing is exposing is how much California's wealth is built on a flimsy foundation.

by Anonymousreply 275July 17, 2020 5:45 PM

[quote]White people used to settle down and start families in their early 20s and stayed in the same job for years. The situation today is in no way similar.

What does this have to do with the "white people stopped doing that generations ago" comments I responded to? Newsflash: other ethnicities also used to do that but face different situations today. What does being or not being white have to do with it? Take your tedious, trolling ass somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 276July 17, 2020 5:52 PM

R276 I agree it has little to do with race. You seemed critical of the comments, and said white people also live in clusters because of poverty and seemed to imply very little has changed over the generations. If you have a point, perhaps you should learn to express it more clearly.

by Anonymousreply 277July 17, 2020 6:03 PM

I'm curious to know about contrasting rates with other parts of the city that have many multi-generational families.

by Anonymousreply 278July 17, 2020 6:12 PM

[quote]and seemed to imply very little has changed over the generations.

Perhaps you are the one with comprehension issues, as the original comment I responded to implied that whites are some uniform group that all live exactly the same way now. We've never all lived the same way, ever. Like any other group, we have variations, so why bring race into it in the first place?

The issue is people living in crowded housing situations and how it's being deflected as a "cultural" issue, when in reality I know many Latinos who don't pile on top of other family members because they can afford their own apartments or homes. The issue is ultimately about WHY people live in crowded conditions, and it's often due to money.

by Anonymousreply 279July 17, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote] The issue is people living in crowded housing situations and how it's being deflected as a "cultural" issue, when in reality I know many Latinos who don't pile on top of other family members because they can afford their own apartments or homes.

I actually agree with this 100% and even said something similar. People deflect it as a cultural issue because they want to frame it as a choice when it's actually done out of necessity.

by Anonymousreply 280July 17, 2020 6:34 PM

[quote] The issue is people living in crowded housing situations

Forgive me if I am wrong, but aren't crowded housing situations how a lot of young people in SF manage to scrape by -- what with the astronomical rents? I have some friends and acquaintances in the Bay Area and roommate situations sound even more common up there than here.

by Anonymousreply 281July 17, 2020 6:39 PM

Multi generational homes have always had a negative economic impact on single people, nuclear families, and seniors. We can now throw in disease spread into the mix.

by Anonymousreply 282July 17, 2020 6:49 PM

[quote] Multi generational homes

Unless something changes with real estate prices, that is going to be the future of life here, just like all over Asia, Latin America, parts of Europe, etc. Better to get used to it now.

by Anonymousreply 283July 17, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote]Forgive me if I am wrong, but aren't crowded housing situations how a lot of young people in SF manage to scrape by -- what with the astronomical rents?

Yes, young people everywhere scrape by this way.

by Anonymousreply 284July 17, 2020 6:53 PM

Remember the end of January?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285July 17, 2020 7:01 PM

Nothing wrong with multi-generational living if its a choice Americans generally look down upon it as if it were trashy. IMO its a great way to grow up.

by Anonymousreply 286July 17, 2020 7:06 PM

R286 Are you being sarcastic?

by Anonymousreply 287July 17, 2020 7:10 PM

Good. Stay the fuck away from me, my beach, my town and my state, you fucking morons.

We'll get it together. AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 288July 17, 2020 7:14 PM

It's most definitely a cultural thing to live multi-generationally. And that idiot r286 can go right ahead and live with his entire extended family and see what bliss it is. Jesus.

Most white people can barely stand to live with their parents and one sibling growing up.

by Anonymousreply 289July 17, 2020 7:26 PM

I just realized the title sounds like Yoda when you say it backwards guys:

"Away going not is Covid-19."

"Bitches, sorry!"

"Again closed is California."

by Anonymousreply 290July 17, 2020 7:30 PM

R281 Most young people in the city these days are tech. Even with roommates, most of these youngins' are paying min $2-3k/mo if not higher for rent in SF.

Why do you think 18 people want to live under one roof? Because they can afford to do otherwise, but want to be closer to each other?

by Anonymousreply 291July 17, 2020 7:30 PM

Single-family living was more a brief window of time in the 20th century, a blip in time spanning a few generations in the U.S. From early 1900s and prior, multigenerational American homes were also the norm. Personally, I would not want to live my gay partnered life with my large family (lol), but that type of living arrangement has its benefits to many people.

by Anonymousreply 292July 17, 2020 7:37 PM

But with these techdouches it's only a temporary situation in their 20s. When they get married and have kids they're not going to live with their entire extended families. It's not a lifetime situation.

Personally, I think the techdouches should all be put on boats in San Francisco Bay so the rest of us don't have to be near them, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 293July 17, 2020 7:38 PM

[quote]It's most definitely a cultural thing to live multi-generationally.

Yet when they have enough $ to get their own places, my Latino and Filipino coworkers and friends do so, so maybe part of that "cultural thing" is due to finances.

by Anonymousreply 294July 17, 2020 7:50 PM

Not necessarily r294.

by Anonymousreply 295July 17, 2020 7:56 PM

Whites expect and demand a higher standard of living than just about anyone else, for better or worse.

by Anonymousreply 296July 17, 2020 8:00 PM

How does this new close down affect the new TV season and movies shot in California? delay? Cancel? Move to another state? Ignore the order?

by Anonymousreply 297July 17, 2020 8:03 PM

The majority of schools in California will not be reopening for in-person education this fall, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced in a news conference today.

All private and public schools in 33 of California's 58 counties will be required to close under Newsom’s new guidance. Those 33 counties represent more than 80% of the state’s population.

by Anonymousreply 298July 17, 2020 8:08 PM

San Francisco has joined more than 30 other counties on California’s “watch list” due to a rise in Covid-19 hospitalizations, Mayor London Breed said today.

When a county is added to the state’s “watch list,” officials are required to close all indoor activities. Because of San Francisco’s early stage of reopening, the main difference will be closing all malls and non-essential offices.

Breed said the county will continue to pause its reopening indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 299July 17, 2020 8:09 PM

[quote]Not necessarily

The same can be said about your assertion, r295, so let's leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 300July 17, 2020 8:23 PM

r287, I'm not r286, but I once worked with an Eastern European guy, 1st gen American, who broke up with his successful actress wife and moved back in with his parents (who were pretty successful- they lived right across the street from Clooney's house). When I went to visit him for a meeting, he introduced me to his ailing grandmother, who also lived at the house, and told me that he would come down every night and visit her. I though it was very lovely.

Now would I like that? Nope, I do not want to live with a bunch of people, because I am an introvert.

by Anonymousreply 301July 17, 2020 8:29 PM

Is not closed since there are counties which the governor is allowing to stay semi-open. Some counties are opening in person classes with the governor's blessing. Let's hope the governor will mandate on line classes once we get closer to August.

by Anonymousreply 302July 17, 2020 9:41 PM

There are counties that aren’t closed down, but they’re the ones where no one lives. For 80% of the population, it is shut down.

I wonder what Newsom will do if the numbers don’t fall over the next couple of weeks. Close outdoor dining and non-essential retail again? More really stern but toothless lectures about how we should really stay at home?

by Anonymousreply 303July 18, 2020 12:24 AM

R303 The problem of course is essential workers +multi generational households that are failing to contain the spread.

[quote] One of the UCSF interventions is to provide safe housing and financial support to positive residents. People are much more likely to get tested and cooperate when there are practical solutions.

That ain't going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 304July 18, 2020 12:36 AM

This article explains the new order by Newsome to close all schools (public and private) in counties where COVID-19 numbers are increasing by a large rate. This includes Riverside County, where I teach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305July 18, 2020 12:42 AM

They need law enforcement to make any lasting change. Good luck with that after BLM.

Before this police were basically useless and are even moreso now.

CA will be fucked through 2021.

by Anonymousreply 306July 18, 2020 12:44 AM

Multi-generational living is a secondary source of transmission. If we're theorizing that many Latinos, legal and illegal, work essential jobs during the lockdown, then their infectious rates/ percentages would have been similar to this current outbreak. This is because their jobs and housing situation did not change between outbreaks.

Main issue with current outbreak is correlated with lax attitudes towards social distancing, group gatherings, and mask wearing. For instance, people now socialize in groups be it private parties or eating out or non-grocery type of shopping. They get content with nice weather and healthy people walking around so let their guards down. I had to persuade many Latino patients to keep wearing or start wearing masks when going to parties, not go to parties or large family gatherings, and take social distancing seriously. Many associate getting flus and colds with colder weather.

Those infected at gatherings then spread it to their extended family members whom they live with. An aspect of Latino culture is now a risk factor for COVID-19. Also, housing situation that many in the Latino community face is unfortunate problem. That 18 extended family members to a house that I mentioned wouldn't even be shocking to many in the immigrant Latino community. Problem arises when there's an epidemic involving highly contagious diseases. It's not racist to point this out, it's the reality. Now what are we going to do about it to mitigate spread? That should be the focus.

by Anonymousreply 307July 18, 2020 2:01 AM

[quote]This article explains the new order by Newsome to close all schools (public and private) in counties where COVID-19 numbers are increasing by a large rate. This includes Riverside County, where I teach.

N-E-W-S-O-M

by Anonymousreply 308July 18, 2020 2:03 AM

R307 et al, just google "COVID-19 health disparities mitigation" and you'll find a wealth of analysis and strategy from all over the country. Including a 4+ hour House Ways and Means hearing. It's not like this is a surprising development to people working in community health.

by Anonymousreply 309July 18, 2020 2:15 AM

R307 California didn't have a similar outbreak. The initial lockdown was prevention and was destined to fail. This latest is to contain the spread.

by Anonymousreply 310July 18, 2020 2:19 AM

For anyone actually interested in one version of a community mitigation effort, read this article in Mission Local, SF's Mission neighborhood newspaper. The partnership with UCSF is detailed near the end, but it's worth reading the whole thing.

For our cynic @ R304, see this excerpt:

[quote]By dint of its own work, the Latino Task Force also had a new ally – researchers and doctors at UCSF and General Hospital. The results could not be ignored and new policies followed. The city opened up unused hotel rooms to those who tested positive. The test results – that 53 percent of those who were COVID positive had no symptoms – indicated a need for more low-barrier testing to prevent the spread. To get more people to test, the study demonstrated that the city would have to assure them that they would have financial and medical support.

[quote]The data gave Supervisor Ronen what she needed to get the city on board with her Right to Recover safety net. By late June, Ronen’s program had $2 million to offer up to four weeks of financial support for residents and workers without a safety net. That is enough to help some 1.500 families, but everyone knows the need is likely to be much greater – the research made that clear because it defined who was most impacted by the virus.

The Latino Task Force isn't a silver bullet, but it outlines one approach to mobilizing a community with language, trust, and economic barriers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311July 18, 2020 2:31 AM

** I should have mentioned that (Zuckerberg) San Francisco General, UCSF's public hospital run in partnership with the SF DPH, is located on the eastern end of the Mission. It's long been the health provider for the Mission community.

by Anonymousreply 312July 18, 2020 2:37 AM

[quote] California Governor Gavin Newsom Orders Majority Of State’s Schools To Close Campuses, Move To Virtual Instruction Only; Los Angeles County Will Follow Newsom’s Lead

At his Friday news conference, California Governor Gavin Newsom ordered counties on the state’s coronavirus watch list to shut down school campuses this fall, at least to begin the school year. The 32 counties on the list — which include Los Angeles and most of Southern California — must switch to virtual instruction only. The state’s two largest districts, Los Angeles Unified and San Diego Unified, had already announced plans to begin the new academic year with online-only courses.

The mandate applies to private as well as public schools, according to Newsom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313July 18, 2020 2:21 PM

Cali, your governor is sizzling hot.

by Anonymousreply 314July 18, 2020 2:53 PM

Dear Gov. Newsom:

You may as well shut everything else down.

This piece meal approach isn't working.

It's all or nothing.

Love, The residents of California

by Anonymousreply 315July 18, 2020 5:00 PM

R314 - yes, yes he is and he was even hotter a decade ago. Eric Garcetti isn't too bad either.

I wish Newsom would run for President, but that would be all sorts of ugly about liberal California.

C'mon Corona - do your job. Stop hanging out with the Latinos - I get it, they're loud and fun, give great parties and the food is awesome. But there are a whole bunch of LMC white people begging for you to visit them and show them your party tricks. You gotta expand your audience and show them all the stuff you've been working hard on developing the past year.

by Anonymousreply 316July 18, 2020 5:24 PM

How cute r316, thinking Latinos are his little pets.

by Anonymousreply 317July 18, 2020 5:33 PM

He won’t, R315. Right now he’s chosen a course of action that doesn’t satisfy anyone. Those who want everything reopened are furious that they can’t go to bars, those who want everyone closed are angry that people are still able to go to public places, and the half measures don’t seem like they’ll do much so long as groups keep getting together for backyard barbecues.

I’m not sure we could do another complete lockdown, since the extra unemployment runs out next week and really enforcing compliance wouldn’t be feasible even if goodwill toward law enforcement were high.

by Anonymousreply 318July 18, 2020 7:33 PM

I've noticed I can't even drive through a freeway underpass without seeing multiple tents. This is something I've noticed within the last few years. The devaluation of labor and immigration levels have contributed to a growing underclass. Anyone who isn't drinking the Kool Aid can connect the dots.

by Anonymousreply 319July 18, 2020 7:51 PM

r319 and the high price of living, is pushing people out of their homes.

by Anonymousreply 320July 18, 2020 8:09 PM

[quote] By dint of its own work, the Latino Task Force also had a new ally – researchers and doctors at UCSF and General Hospital. The results could not be ignored and new policies followed. The city opened up unused hotel rooms to those who tested positive. The test results – that 53 percent of those who were COVID positive had no symptoms – indicated a need for more low-barrier testing to prevent the spread. To get more people to test, the study demonstrated that the city would have to assure them that they would have financial and medical support.

Interesting that these mitigation efforts only target a segment of the population rather than the population at large. Can you imagine the outcry if these same efforts were targeted toward other populations who are willfully ignoring mitigation efforts? You know that people will weigh the risk of dying from Covid against the potential for financial assistance? I wonder which one they will pick. This type of effort could never succeed on a federal or state level.

by Anonymousreply 321July 18, 2020 8:47 PM

Read the actual article, R321. Plenty of federal programs target underserved communities.

by Anonymousreply 322July 19, 2020 12:02 AM

WTF, R319? Kool Aid? Dots? Income inequality is at record levels in the US. Stable housing is beyond the reach of many - a full time minimum wage worker cannot afford rent in a preponderance of cities. There's not a fraction of the needed support for the mentally ill or people with substance dependencies. Those are your tent dwellers, not immigrants.

by Anonymousreply 323July 19, 2020 12:08 AM

[quote] WTF, [R319]? Kool Aid? Dots? Income inequality is at record levels in the US. Stable housing is beyond the reach of many - a full time minimum wage worker cannot afford rent in a preponderance of cities. There's not a fraction of the needed support for the mentally ill or people with substance dependencies. Those are your tent dwellers, not immigrants.

I never said the tent dwellers were immigrants.

[quote] Plenty of federal programs target underserved communities.

Yes, what's good for the community is good for the whole, yet instead of improving conditions for all Americans, they just make everyone poorer.

by Anonymousreply 324July 19, 2020 12:39 AM

Most of the tent dwellers are drug addicts. They don’t want to live in a house, in SF there is nothing they can do to make them leave. This is known and numbers of people living the tent do what you want life has increased ~ 430%. SF with their 3B budget idea is to turn a blind eye to mass drug use, death and suffering

by Anonymousreply 325July 19, 2020 12:48 AM

L.A. County surpasses 4,000 COVID-19 deaths to cap a record-breaking week

“More than 4,000 Los Angeles County residents have now died from causes related to COVID-19 & more than 150,000 cases of the virus have been recorded, authorities announced Friday.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326July 19, 2020 2:56 AM

My bitch ass neighbor having a party! And The End Up is open tonight? WTF? Patio only, but still not sure how they are getting away with it

by Anonymousreply 327July 19, 2020 5:08 AM

"My bitch ass neighbor having a party! "

This is why I'm tempted to get a Grim Reaper costume and a scythe. A washable one. So I could briefly crash the party, or just knock on the door and stand there silently when someone answers.

by Anonymousreply 328July 19, 2020 3:16 PM

We are so fucked! 🥺

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329July 19, 2020 3:34 PM

Any updates on how it's going in SoCal at the moment? I like watching the beach webcams for LA and SD and it looks like there a masses of people out there, but then I read there are lots more new cases recently.

by Anonymousreply 330July 21, 2020 10:37 PM

^^^ Yes more COVID-19 cases are filling up ICUs across Southern California, curiously most show up with sand in their butt-cracks, a fact so far unexplained by experts.

by Anonymousreply 331July 21, 2020 11:22 PM

LA is shutting down again. Inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 332July 22, 2020 2:39 AM

What are the latest announcements from L.A., R332?

by Anonymousreply 333July 22, 2020 3:01 AM

Which celebrities will die?

by Anonymousreply 334July 22, 2020 3:03 AM

1% of the population is infected.

Whoop.

by Anonymousreply 335July 22, 2020 3:06 AM

Nothing yet, R333, but Garcetti keeps hinting at another stay at home order. I have no idea why he keeps prolonging it. If we need to do it, any delay just makes things worse, and it’s not like the threat of another lockdown is going to change anyone’s behavior.

by Anonymousreply 336July 22, 2020 3:14 AM

He's threatening all the sweatshop operators. Something about a target shutdown for industries not looking after their workers.

As if sweatshops gave AF.

Sometimes you just need a police state. That's not Californai.

by Anonymousreply 337July 22, 2020 3:33 AM

I saw today that Orange County now has the second highest number of cases in the state. So all those Anti-Mask and "Open the Beaches" protests are obviously doing a helluva lot of good.

by Anonymousreply 338July 22, 2020 4:00 AM

[quote] I saw today that Orange County now has the second highest number of cases in the state

HA!

Hopefully all those DUMP voters will disappear, and turn the OC blue.

by Anonymousreply 339July 22, 2020 4:24 AM

OC turned blue a long time ago. Try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 340July 22, 2020 4:43 AM

Covid is trimming OC of Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 341July 22, 2020 4:47 AM

Covid is trimming OC of Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 342July 22, 2020 4:47 AM

There are rumors of a new lockdown coming in San Mateo county.

by Anonymousreply 343July 22, 2020 6:06 AM

What is going on there, R343? I've been talking to a friend who lives in Burlingame and she was sure San Mateo County had already met the conditions for the watch list and that it would be added today.

She's been texting me photos of people without masks queued up in front of 24-Hour Fitness and tweets from people travelling from all over the place to go to the salons and gyms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344July 22, 2020 6:37 AM

[quote]"Covid-19 is not going away."

Oh it'll go away all right.

by Anonymousreply 345July 25, 2020 6:04 PM

Rona gets into every nook and cranny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346July 26, 2020 8:32 AM

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but some German officials, regional minister of Germany Saxony Karl Lauterbach & SPD party's health expert Michael Kretschmer, claim that the second wave has hit Germany with new cases popping up everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 347July 26, 2020 9:27 AM

Not just in Germany. The second wave isn’t far off in Europe. Before the end of the summer we’ll be in lockdown again. People can’t obey the rules apparently. If the first lockdown had been prolonged there wouldn’t have been any cases now or hardly any like in New Zealand. Governments keeping a loose rein, opening up too soon and now we face the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 348July 26, 2020 10:03 AM

I think the problem is at least two-fold. The push to re-open the economy, so the 1% get richer, and extroverts don't like the isolation that comes with the lockdown procedures.

by Anonymousreply 349July 26, 2020 10:49 AM

Good points made above.

Our generation today is not used to long-term deprivation. I think back to my grandparents' generation during World War II. My British grandmother had to live through the Nazi bombings of London. World War II lasted for 5 or 6 years. There was rationing, blackouts, etc. Now today's generation expects everything to be back to normal after just a few months.

by Anonymousreply 350July 26, 2020 10:55 AM

Indeed, r350.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351July 26, 2020 1:38 PM

the problem now, R350. is that in the US you have people yelling out and shining lights during blackouts, and people openly hoarding during rationing. if anything the privations we now suffer will last even LONGEr because of these ignorant selfish boobs

by Anonymousreply 352July 26, 2020 1:47 PM

Return of the black market...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353July 26, 2020 2:18 PM

#BlackMarketsMatter

by Anonymousreply 354July 26, 2020 2:30 PM

Can anyone explain Sweden? They didn't lock down and let the virus run it's course and they have hardly any cases now.

by Anonymousreply 355July 27, 2020 9:19 PM

The husbear and I are trying to determine if/when we'll go to our house in Palm Springs for winter. Rona ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 356July 27, 2020 9:49 PM

r355

In Sweden everyone carries a protest sign, so the virus isn't able to infect you.

by Anonymousreply 357July 27, 2020 10:32 PM

What are you talking about R355? Sweden has the highest death toll of the Scandinavian countries -- nearly 5 times greater than the other 4 Nordic countries [italic]combined[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358July 27, 2020 11:32 PM

Yes, but their case numbers are decreasing dramatically. Yesterday only 12 cases.

by Anonymousreply 359July 28, 2020 8:29 AM

I guess the plan was to go full-on death at the beginning, r359.

by Anonymousreply 360July 28, 2020 2:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!