Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Gays and Tennis part 54: summer exhibitions during a pandemic party

How many more players will test positive this summer?

Will the USO indeed go forward?

last thread got payrolled earlier today

by Anonymousreply 262August 17, 2020 1:12 PM

last thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2020 5:55 PM

A. Zverev and Kyrgios have both pulled out of next week's exho in Berlin

Novaxx isn't sure if he'll play the US Open

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2020 6:04 PM

2 things to keep in mind regarding the USO:

1. We won't know until 2-3 weeks from now if NYers were good or undisciplined during July 4th weekend. Many people around the country had big gatherings. Obviously that could lead to big infection spikes

2. Who knows how many people from California, Florida, Texas, Arizona and Georgia will have traveled to NYC by the end of August, spreading coronavirus. A lot of people won't voluntarily quarantine

so who knows if NYC will still be on the decline by the time the tournament is scheduled

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2020 6:07 PM

2 things to keep in mind regarding the USO:

1. We won't know until 2-3 weeks from now if NYers were good or undisciplined during July 4th weekend. Many people around the country had big gatherings. Obviously that could lead to big infection spikes

2. Who knows how many people from California, Florida, Texas, Arizona and Georgia will have traveled to NYC by the end of August, spreading coronavirus. A lot of people won't voluntarily quarantine

so who knows if NYC will still be on the decline by the time the tournament is scheduled

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2020 6:07 PM

Following on from the last thread: Thiem has revealed what an ass he is (as opposed to what an ass he has) on many occasions in the past 2 years, not limited to his Mariah Carey tantrum at Roland Garros last year. He evidently thinks he’s the second coming and has morphed into quite the diva, for someone who hasn’t exactly accomplished a TONNE in the sport sans an Indian Wells title and a good record over ageing Federer.

I concur that Ferru isn’t the best choice for Zverev. He already plays like the spaniard (passively and doggedly) but with about half the mental resolve and confidence. Instead he should be working with someone who can transform him into more of an aggressive counterpuncher. It’s ludicrous that someone of his height is such a pusher and hits so many DFs. Most players with those long arms would be huge ballstrikers. Instead he’s a nervous sprinter in the guise of a tennis player. Wozniacki-esque but without the mentality.

World Team Tennis is about to be a huge litmus test. A big event with lots of players, male and female, and spectators allowed… I will be very impressed if it goes on without a hitch. Some players involved are Taylor Fritz, Venus Williams, Kim Clijsters, Milos Raonic, the Bryan brothers, Puig!, Kenin, Bouchard, Coco Vandeweghe, Sloth Stephens, and Tennys Sandgren.

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2020 6:21 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2020 1:49 AM

lol Djokovic using "witch hunt" and "it's not fair"

sounds like common conservative whining speak to me

so he still doesn't take responsibility for partying at a club, getting in each other's personal spaces during a basketball game, no social distancing, no masks etc

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2020 2:08 AM

And, r7, he's come out with this after half the country has started marching against the Serbian government, who opened up too fast too early, then backtracked after the Adria fiasco, and have now once again backtracked on their backtrack. In other words, they've gone full circle and are back to complete laissez-faire clusterfucking.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2020 12:49 PM

And Yastremska big gesture against racism backfired big time.

She painted black half of her face and tagged equality. Her intentions are obviously good but it was not her best idea

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2020 5:48 PM

the pictures R9 is talking about:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2020 5:54 PM

After coming out in support of Djokovic's Adria Party Tour (that she wasn't even invited to be involved in), Dayana Yastremska has posted (and since deleted) this slutty blackface picture, with the caption 'EQUALITY.'

Might be time to get some new PR? Her and Sacha Bajin are such a messy combo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2020 6:02 PM

To be fair, blackface is not a thing in a lot of countries. It's totally linked at the USA history. And in her case, try to push an antiracist message (eve if it backfired big time) is not going to make her more popular in her country.

Her intentions were good but her knowlege of american history not so much

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote] And in her case, try to push an antiracist message

I don’t care about antiracist messages only about Antichrist messages.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2020 6:30 PM

R13 OH Margaret, you are so incredibly boring

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2020 7:04 PM

Yastremska's apology:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2020 10:41 PM

Roch-ger.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2020 2:40 AM

I don't think her intentions were THAT good.... it was really just a cheap excuse to post another pic of her barely concealing her tits. Not exactly some profound or complex statement. Even in countries where blackface isn't a historic issue, surely any person over the age of 16 knows that the answer to racial injustice worldwide isn't to paint half your face black and do some naked photos. That's an obviously inconsiderate, attention-seeking and tone-deaf response even at the very base level of education or knowledge about racial issues.

Glad she apologised though.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2020 8:47 AM

On second thoughts, now that I read the apology it's even worse. She admits she knew about blackface and some people told her not to post it but she simply decided it wasn't blackface (lol), and therefore whoever finds it offensive is at fault because they (purposely?) misrepresented her intention.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2020 9:01 AM

Popyrin and Pouille decided not to go to the US Open.

Not a big deal

by Anonymousreply 19July 12, 2020 1:27 PM

NOVAK, HOW ABOUT a simple 1) i fucked up! 2) i was and i am wrong! 3) please forgive me everyone!

by Anonymousreply 20July 12, 2020 1:41 PM

It's difficult that he will do that because people around him are living of him, so they are there to praise him all the time. And his parents are probably the worst of all of them.

Of course you have someone like Thiem who seems unable to recognize his mistakes (even if he apologized for them) and gets all upset because Kyrgios blasted Zverev (i didn't know he loved Sascha that much).

There were players on the Adria tour like Rublev that at least kept their mouth shut and did the quarantine they promised. And i think that's all you can get from them.

It's obvious that Nole's intentions were good but realize you are wrong is the first step to come clean of all that mess and he was unable to do it

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2020 1:54 PM

R21... i hear you, i hear what your saying about Novak... sounds like he would be perfect to join scientology! seeing that he is ass kissed and "love bombed" by everyone around him who are basically using him and he's their meal ticket...thus Novak already has that monumental self righteousness and self absorption narcissism...

by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2020 4:18 PM

Is there an exhibition Thiem HASN'T played? He was on the Adria tour, he was at MouRAToglou's event with all the strange rules, he's now at this 'BettisOne' event on grass, his own Thiem7 exhibition (where he was beaten in the final by Rublev).

I didn't realise this bitch was so money hungry. And he was still so inconsiderate to those ranked outside the top 120...

by Anonymousreply 23July 12, 2020 5:14 PM

And then he reach the RG final and he gets toasted after two sets, because last year he was playing a tight match against Rafa, but he loses a couple of points and suddenly he is destroyed by Rafa.

Karen Kachanov is in Greece and asked Stefanos for advice to visit the country and Tsitsipas had the audacity to recomend going to the hairdresser. Someone who sports a Jesucrist superstar look should not have the right to criticise anybody's hairstyle

by Anonymousreply 24July 12, 2020 5:23 PM

Is this where we talk about World Team Tennis? Starts today in Virginia

by Anonymousreply 25July 12, 2020 5:32 PM

it's good that some of you realize many of the players, from the US to Europe, are conservative assholes. Djokovic and Thiem are hardly better than an Isner

the ones who are actually intelligent liberals are few and far between and should be celebrated.

by Anonymousreply 26July 12, 2020 5:43 PM

I don't even know if Thiem is a conservative, most things of what he said are pretty prevalent in center europe.

But yes, most players are conservative, at least fiscally conservative

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2020 5:58 PM

Are you Storm team or Laser team?

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2020 6:30 PM

R24 To be fair it was clearly said in jest between friends. And I actually think he was more having a go at Khachanov’s overgrown facial hair than anything else. But I agree about Tsitsi’s mop. Actually they both look better with shorter hair.

World Team Tennis could get very messy. Someone at the site had already tested positive for Covid a few weeks ago. They are having spectators, male & female players, lots of doubles... usually in world team tennis they are patting each other on the back / ass after winning a few points and in some matches their teammates are sitting on the bench with them at changeovers hyping them up.

I am hoping SOME measures are in place.

Halep is confirmed to play Palermo. I am thinking this makes it unlikely she will be at the US Open (given she'd have to play Palermo on clay, quarantine in NYC for 2 weeks, play that tournament on hard, and then fly back to Europe for the rest of clay). With her and likely Barty out too, as well as Federer and perhaps Nadal/Djokovic who have expressed their concerns, we could be looking at a VERY depleted (and hard to market) field.

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2020 6:58 PM

Yes, he was joking, but that doesn't change that his hairstyle is not exactly an example to follow. And yes, both look way better with shorter hair

Tstisipas seems to have only problems with Medvedev, with the rest of russians he seems to have a good relationship

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2020 7:07 PM

Palermo entry list

Halep

Sabalenka

Rybakina

Voundrosova

Sakkari

Mertens

Vekic

Yastremka

Alexandrova

Kuznetsova

Kudermetova

Ostapenko

Mladenovic

Sevastova

Peterson

Hercog

Ferro

Van Uytvanck

Cornet

Pera

Teichmann

Siegemund

Kasatkina

Pliskova Kristina

Rus

Giorgi

by Anonymousreply 31July 12, 2020 8:00 PM

It seems Sam Stosur had a baby with his wife

by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2020 12:06 PM

“His.” Nice. You must be fun at parties and hate rallies.

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2020 12:35 PM

R33: Sorry, in spanish the pronoums are exactly the same for male and female in a case like this (su) and i was not paying attention when i wrote it so it was not intentional

by Anonymousreply 34July 13, 2020 1:06 PM

I hope Margaret doesn't piss on this lovely moment for Sam like she did for Casey Dellacqua. So many of the great Aussie players have been gay! (Stosur, Stubbs, Dellacqua, Smylie, I think a few others).

That is actually the best entry list Palermo has had in YEARS. Sakkari and Sabalenka have extremely full schedules in the coming weeks, but the former is fit enough to carry it off and the latter is too hot and cold to go deep at all of them (although she was on a roll before lockdown). Should be interested to see if she and Rybakina can keep up their good form. I believe Elena had only lost about 3 matches this year and all to top 10 players.

Rumours of a new tennis couple: Muguruza has been photographed in her bikini in Wawrinka's pool, and they have been practising together. Could she be his next target?

by Anonymousreply 35July 13, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote] So many of the great Aussie players have been gay! (Stosur, Stubbs, Dellacqua, Smylie, I think a few others).

All of them!

by Anonymousreply 36July 13, 2020 2:43 PM

[quote] Rumours of a new tennis couple: Muguruza has been photographed in her bikini in Wawrinka's pool, and they have been practising together. Could she be his next target?

Mugurinka?

Stanine?

Garbislas?

Waruza?

by Anonymousreply 37July 13, 2020 2:45 PM

that thick linebacker rugby body of stan the man is going to rock (and put up garbine's long, long legs up in the air!) garbine's womanhood like never before! but, but what does conchita have to say about it?

by Anonymousreply 38July 13, 2020 4:57 PM

tbh I thought Garbine was a lezzie as well

by Anonymousreply 39July 13, 2020 5:03 PM

R39 Why?

by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2020 5:26 PM

I never got lesbian vibes from Muguruza.

by Anonymousreply 41July 13, 2020 5:43 PM

Novak proves again and again why the public will always love Fed and Rafa over him. He's SO good, but such a whiny bitch.

by Anonymousreply 42July 13, 2020 5:43 PM

What did he do this time, R42?

by Anonymousreply 43July 13, 2020 5:44 PM

Hosted a tournament in the middle of Corona and a bunch of players got it. Then he blamed everyone but himself for the fact players will exposed, instead of merely taking responsibility and saying he should have waited.

by Anonymousreply 44July 13, 2020 5:53 PM

*were

by Anonymousreply 45July 13, 2020 5:53 PM

R42 I think they main reason why people love Roger and Rafa way more it's because they don't know Roger and Rafa. Both put a lot of effort in project a certain image of themselves, they avoided anything controversial all over the years and they basically don't give their oppinion about anything.

Maybe they are fantastic people but i just don't know that because their public image is totally fabricated

by Anonymousreply 46July 13, 2020 5:57 PM

Federer mostly wins. When he doesn't, he's unable to hide his vile personality. I think people forget that he was a very aggressive, grumpy, and bratty teenager who sulked a lot on the court. Not unlike Zverev. He hired that great UK image consultant (I forget the name but they've worked with Tom Hiddleston, I think Benedict Cumberbatch and a few others) to give him a James Bond-esque makeover sometime in the mid 00s (before that it was all shark tooth necklaces, ponytails and bleached spiky hair) and both fans and sponsors ate it up. His company is business partners with the Australian Open and other big events, and the tennis and sports media are literally instructed to sell him as this gracious genius who can do no wrong.

Outside of that he's still an elitist, tax-dodging, private-jet taking man with a lot of rage going on who despises when he doesn't get what he wants. On the tennis court and off. Someone in one of these threads shared their experiences with him as a volunteer at the Miami open in the mid 00s and he sounded dreadful. And that's when he WAS winning everything in sight.

"Federer is crazy, he's crazy, he has all you guys fooled. I know him since juniors, he's crazy, CRAZY." - Michael Llodra in the book Facing Federer.

by Anonymousreply 47July 13, 2020 6:05 PM

Nadal has a similar fabricated image, but he does seem slightly more amicable (at least from a distance). Although he has let slip a few sexist and 'old fashioned' remarks over the years (usually regarding equal pay). But I think he's less calculating/intelligent... a much more insecure person and has immense OCD, not to mention the forced PRelationship with Xisca. Do we still think he's closeted?

To me he seems like a nicer guy than the other two (and often wins that Sportsmanship award), but that may also be because he's less complex.

by Anonymousreply 48July 13, 2020 6:09 PM

R47, he may be all those things, but he keeps his family well fed.

Is that a HoHo?

by Anonymousreply 49July 13, 2020 6:12 PM

R47 To be fair he never hides that he was a grumpy kid, he says he likes Zverev or Kyrgios because they remind him of himself when he was younger. In his case being a brat when he was young even plays in his favour because he changed for good.

There's a very clear effort on his part to polish himself. I remember the interview where tennis players were questioned about their favourite books (there i discovered that Simon was an empty head) where he said he only reads magazines. I'm pretty sure if they make him that question now he would never say something like that.

R48 I've never heard a gay rumour about Nadal in Spain which is quite curious because having yatch holidays with friends and no women in sight fuel Cristiano Ronaldo's rumours. Rafa did the same a lot of summers but there was absolutely nothing.

I never heard a thing even in the comments of articles of sport magazines (but there were that kind of comments about Marc Márquez, for example).

I think his image is so good in Spain that he can barely open his mouth to give an oppinion without offend half of the country right now

by Anonymousreply 50July 13, 2020 6:19 PM

[quote]Hosted a tournament in the middle of Corona and a bunch of players got it

That happened almost a month ago? It's been discussed here extensively

[quote][R39] Why?

She just gives off a 'butch' vibe sometimes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 13, 2020 9:20 PM

She is tall and strong like a lot of athletes. Of course she could be a lesbian but i don't think so

by Anonymousreply 52July 13, 2020 9:24 PM

I think Kerber is more obviously 'gay' than Muguruza, if we're talking recent slam champions.

by Anonymousreply 53July 14, 2020 8:02 AM

Priliminary entry list for Washington. Main draw cut off is Bedene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 14, 2020 1:04 PM

After watching the l ist it's quite obvious that most top players are more than ready to play the US Open, no matter if Rafa and Nole like it or not

by Anonymousreply 55July 14, 2020 1:07 PM

well it's easy for Nadal and Djokovic to say they won't play since they've already won so many slams

for most of the players, they want to win 1. A diluted field gives anyone a shot

I just hope it isn't fucking Isner. Hopefully someone who can return his serve will knock him out

by Anonymousreply 56July 14, 2020 5:23 PM

Sabalenka and Rybakina opt out from Palermo

But Martic, Kontaviet and Konta are added

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 14, 2020 5:28 PM

R56 I don't know, they talk a lot but i doubt they'll skip the US Open. Australian final showed the day we'll get a new GS champion is closer, and Novak knows that three GS are a lot of GS (specially because the last time he won three on a season was long time ago.

For Nadal it seems more logical give priority to RG but sooner or later he'll get trouble on clay (which is a very demanding surface) and he generally does well on the US Open so putting all your eggs on a basket is quite risky, specially when the season is as weird than this one

by Anonymousreply 58July 14, 2020 5:39 PM

Agreed, r58. I’m sure Novak “Typhoid Mary” Djokovic will turn up and infect all the boys in the locker room.

by Anonymousreply 59July 14, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote]Sabalenka and Rybakina opt out from Palermo, but Martic, Kontaveit and Konta are added

I remember Palermo only having two top 50 players last year (Bertens & Cornet) and the winner was #90 Jil Teichmann. They'll probably never have a field like this again

by Anonymousreply 60July 14, 2020 7:01 PM

They'll all be clamoring for the cash if the big three are staying home. The difference in prize money between runner-up and winner is astronomical.

Stupidly, covid be damned I guess

by Anonymousreply 61July 14, 2020 7:04 PM

Why don’t R47 and R48 describe them image of my Andy. He is a knight of the realm after all.

by Anonymousreply 62July 14, 2020 7:06 PM

The two slams will probably look like the pre-war era where the US Open was mostly won and contested by American players, and RG by European players. In those days the only other continent with a lot of consistent contenders was Australia anyway.

Because they will lose so much money if they cancel, I assume both will go ahead no matter what at this point. But because the short season is so condensed, players like Nadal and Halep seem to be prioritising one slam. Even Sabalenka who pulled out of the early clay tournaments to get to the US earlier is doing this (of course I assume most of the players trying their luck in the US will fly to Europe as soon as the USO is over to try and carry momentum into the big clay events).

The likes of Kerber and Barty don't seem to give a fuck either way. Today Svitolina said she has no intention of flying to NY at this point (and that's fair given the way the US has handled Covid).

by Anonymousreply 63July 14, 2020 7:43 PM

It is dangerous for Nadal to put all his eggs in the RG basket but he gets injured so easily it would also be dangerous to play all out and go deep in NYC, only to be spent and injured for Roland Garros. I do think he would have had a chance at both given that most of the great mens players are European and a few will skip Flushing Meadows.

We will probably have a non-big 3 male champion at the USO this year. Could be the chance for Thiem or Sissypants to vulture a weak field. I too, hope it isn't Isner. The womens favourites there will be Serena/Osaka/Kenin/Andreescu.

At the French, the favourites will be Nadal/Djokovic/Thiem/Wawrinka. Womens favourites will be Halep/Bertens/Serena if she jets to Europe after hard court season.

by Anonymousreply 64July 14, 2020 7:47 PM

[quote] In those days the only other continent with a lot of consistent contenders was Australia anyway.

And that was true in the 60s and 70s, thus my record-setting number of major titles, a record likely never to be exceeded by anyone of either sex.

by Anonymousreply 65July 14, 2020 7:47 PM

R63 It's pretty obvios that all the tops are going to play the US Open and Roland Garros (Nadal and Djokovic are the ones in doubt).

There'll be a change of guard sooner or later and i have doubts they'll renounce to a GS were they have options.

Let's be clear, the atp is totally dominated by europeans right now, it's not only that the big 3 is european, the ones destined to replace them are european too

by Anonymousreply 66July 14, 2020 7:49 PM

[quote] It's pretty obvios that all the tops are going to play the US Open and Roland Garros

Where does that leave me?

by Anonymousreply 67July 14, 2020 7:51 PM

I remember the days when Irina Spirlea and Barbara Schett were winning Palermo

by Anonymousreply 68July 14, 2020 8:21 PM

R67 God Domi, you play every fucking exhibition it's obvious you are going to playe both

by Anonymousreply 69July 14, 2020 8:25 PM

Do you mean I’m versatile, R69?

(Tehe - 69).

by Anonymousreply 70July 14, 2020 8:40 PM

I just don't see Rafa playing in NY with all the unknown variables. It's an OCD nightmare. Djokovic is radioactive right now. He might just want to skip it for health and family reasons. Funny how we don't talk about his desperate need to be liked anymore

. I could see him tearing his way through to another win. Yet, It's a chance in a lifetime opportunity for someone with the game but not the stage presence to upset top players.

I can't imagine how boring/revolting it will be to flip from empty court to empty court watching Whoever vs Whomova , while listening to Chris Fouler from his den, that smells like cheap cologne, hair gel , cigars and last dump.

by Anonymousreply 71July 14, 2020 10:26 PM

[quote] Whoever vs Whomova

Lesbians both.

by Anonymousreply 72July 14, 2020 10:31 PM

Bautista Agut has very prominent veins on his right temple. They’re distracting.

by Anonymousreply 73July 14, 2020 11:03 PM

tomorrow, Thiem vs. Berrettini in Berlin. It could be a good game. BTW, I watched Thiem vs. Siner (?) and the rallies were more clay court than grass. Long, long rallies. No more serve and volley or ending the point early.

by Anonymousreply 74July 14, 2020 11:31 PM

Sinner has a face of sin.

by Anonymousreply 75July 14, 2020 11:32 PM

the only good thing about coronavirus is I haven't heard or seen obnoxious Chris Fowler since the AO

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2020 12:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 15, 2020 12:56 AM

So I'm guessing the USO will feature Americans, Canadians, Aussies, Russians....I'm curious if Brits will play since the EU banned US travel

by Anonymousreply 78July 15, 2020 12:57 AM

Who is that, R77?

by Anonymousreply 79July 15, 2020 12:58 AM

R79 wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 80July 15, 2020 12:59 AM

[quote] wrong thread

That didn't answer my question.

by Anonymousreply 81July 15, 2020 1:04 AM

Grigor is now negative! and is coming to the US

hopefully no more idiotic partying

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 15, 2020 1:06 AM

R81 a gay doctor named Yazan

by Anonymousreply 83July 15, 2020 1:06 AM

Thank you, R83.

by Anonymousreply 84July 15, 2020 1:09 AM

Coric negative now too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 15, 2020 1:11 AM

I like the blond highlights Thiem is sporting.

by Anonymousreply 86July 15, 2020 2:17 AM

Is young Grigor full functional. I'm just concerned.

by Anonymousreply 87July 15, 2020 2:22 AM

FULLY functional, Jim. Fully.

by Anonymousreply 88July 15, 2020 2:42 AM

Djokovic must be seething that none of the players at his exhibition have received the backlash he has gotten

by Anonymousreply 89July 15, 2020 2:45 AM

[quote] FULLY functional, Jim. Fully.

You must cut Jim some slack; he's typing with only one hand.

by Anonymousreply 90July 15, 2020 2:51 AM

Stan looks ancient here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 15, 2020 3:55 AM

he has bad skin. A lot of the players still won't wear sunblock which is bizarre given how long we've known about skin cancer.

by Anonymousreply 92July 15, 2020 4:51 AM

I haven't read the thread because I'm not interested in tennis (gay or otherwise). But I noticed OP's reference to USO and realized that he meant "U. S. Open". As a historian (and old fart), I think of USO as "United Service Organization", which sent entertainers and movies to troops stationed abroad during WWII, and has continued to do so (since the USA continues to engage in warfare, sadly).

by Anonymousreply 93July 15, 2020 5:21 AM

R93 Thank you for this valuable input.

by Anonymousreply 94July 15, 2020 6:43 AM

R94, I was going to ramble on about how I hate to see things change to the point of losing their original meaning and Young People Today don't seem to appreciate the importance of times gone by, but I decided that sounded indulgent and boring, so I deleted the additional paragraphs. Granted, all that remains is perhaps even more useless, but at least it's terse.

by Anonymousreply 95July 15, 2020 8:22 AM

Stop while you're not ahead, R95. Their can be more than one meaning for an acronym.

by Anonymousreply 96July 15, 2020 8:54 AM

R86 Thiem was always (for better or worse) very experimental with his hair

by Anonymousreply 97July 15, 2020 10:40 AM

r96 There can never be a right meaning for your usage of their in your sentence though.

by Anonymousreply 98July 15, 2020 11:46 AM

It seems Djokovic is going to play in NY if there's no quarantine. It was pretty obvious from the beginning.

Novak is well aware that the times of him dominating the circuit are close to an end and soon he'll be one of the contenders instead of the big fave, so he want to win as much GS as possible before the tide turns

by Anonymousreply 99July 15, 2020 12:24 PM

Borna is so hot. Bruna is a lucky girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 15, 2020 1:38 PM

R92 i'll send him a gift box

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 15, 2020 2:30 PM

R86, Thiem looked good in his Berlin match yesterday. Good camera angles, too, from behind at ground level.

by Anonymousreply 102July 15, 2020 3:32 PM

Thiem suggested that atp could transform the third set in a super tiebreak.

People on my tennis forum are not crazy about the idea (not at all).

I think it's funny that someone who feels the need to play every week suggest something like that. Just skip a tournament from time to time and you'll be rested

by Anonymousreply 103July 15, 2020 5:23 PM

Another ancient Stan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 16, 2020 4:43 AM

Stan-d up comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105July 16, 2020 4:44 AM

is Stan the man going to play the open and/or the french? would love to see him win 1 more grand slam singles titles, although he's already hall of fame worthy....

by Anonymousreply 106July 16, 2020 11:52 AM

It's a pipe dream but i'd love to see Stan win them both... Judy Murray would have a heart palpitation.

To the early point from the other thread, here IS a gif of the real Roger before his image consultant started to brainwash the public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 16, 2020 12:24 PM

[quote] he's already hall of fame worthy....

He was after winning one major.

by Anonymousreply 108July 16, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote]here IS a gif of the real Roger before his image consultant started to brainwash the public.

What teenager isn't a total mess?

by Anonymousreply 109July 16, 2020 4:33 PM

Speek for yurself, r109

by Anonymousreply 110July 16, 2020 4:51 PM

I actually preferred Federer when he had the ponytail

by Anonymousreply 111July 16, 2020 6:20 PM

R111 God no, he looked hideous with the ponytail.

Federer was a brat, but he totally owns his past, he doesn't hide it, so instead of being something against him (like in Nole's case) it's actually something that works in his favour

by Anonymousreply 112July 16, 2020 6:44 PM

Nole.

by Anonymousreply 113July 17, 2020 1:27 AM

Jack Sock serve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 17, 2020 4:01 AM

Shapo fh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 17, 2020 4:04 AM

So Shapo is in one year relationship. I always wondered why they are (almost all players) in very long relationships at a very young age, specially when they are travelling all the time

by Anonymousreply 116July 17, 2020 10:50 AM

I always find it weird that Fritz (barely out of his teens) has a kid, and both Medvedev and Khachanov have long-term wives in their early 20s. What's the rush? I thought Shapo would be a bit less traditional, so that surprises me.

Gone are the days of Agassi / Rios / Blake / Clement / Safin (and Evert for the ladies) enjoying their youth, sleeping with everything in sight, and eventually settling down later. Even Radek Stepanek has been with at least 4 top 10 female players. I still have hopes that Sissypants will come out as gay eventually. Like almost every other youtuber out there... lol.

Serena signs up for Lexington Kentucky as the top seed. Interesting she's playing such a small event, she obviously wants that slam. Clijsters beat Pera, Kenin, Collins, and Sloth Stephens in WTT. Even with the truncated sets, low stakes (it’s an exhibition), and no-AD rules, that’s not a bad record considering how much weight she has gained.

by Anonymousreply 117July 17, 2020 8:54 PM

But it's quite common with sportsmen. A lot of them marry or got engagged very young.

And no, i don't think there's a chance of Tsitsipas coming out (in case he is gay). He is the lone hero of the sport in Greece (which by the way is not the most tolerant country in europe). I remember Ian Thorpe saying that he felt he couldn't came out because he was a national hero (even when he was only the most prominent swimmer of a country who always have good swimmers), so the pressure he has is quite big.

He was not even to firm denying the rumours about dating Sakkari (when it's pretty obvious they are nothing more than friends).

Even in a sport with a big gay following it's difficult that a player will come out. Most of them came from conservative enviroments (the ones who are not from conservative countries). Maybe in a near future a player from an european country where coming out is becoming something more common at a young age will be out even before reaching the circuit and doesn't have any need to hide (to be fair, i think if a young promising player comes out there'll be a lot of sponsors for him)

by Anonymousreply 118July 17, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote] Gone are the days of Agassi / Rios / Blake / Clement / Safin (and Evert for the ladies) enjoying their youth, sleeping with everything in sight, and eventually settling down later.

That was a bit after my time but, ah, it reminds me of the good ol’ days when the girls and I would chase after every male tail in sight. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 119July 17, 2020 9:16 PM

So it seems Rafa isn't playing the Open. Damn. That means Nole has it in the bag.

by Anonymousreply 120July 17, 2020 10:11 PM

That’s too bad, R120. How about Federer, R120?

by Anonymousreply 121July 17, 2020 10:15 PM

r120 has the Rafa camp announced that? Where did you find that info?

by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2020 10:15 PM

Rafa team

by Anonymousreply 123July 17, 2020 10:18 PM

Roch-er

by Anonymousreply 124July 17, 2020 10:18 PM

Karen Hemsworth

by Anonymousreply 125July 18, 2020 12:27 AM

R122, there doesn’t seem to be an official announcement yet.

by Anonymousreply 126July 18, 2020 12:54 AM

Even without Rafa there are players who can defeat Nole.

Nole is the strongest of the big 3 in direct matches, but he is the weakest against other players. Put Wawrinka on his draw and we'll see

by Anonymousreply 127July 18, 2020 10:00 AM

Medvedev said that if you want to annoy Rublev you only have to call him Jannik (it seems they mistake him with Jannik Sinner all the time)

by Anonymousreply 128July 18, 2020 1:44 PM

Have any of the logistics from the US Open come out yet? Novak has an apartment at 565 Broome, does he have to stay at the Marriott at LGA? Are they going to show the matches on big screens anywhere? They used to do it in Madison Square Park until they realized it was more fun than going to Queens.

If a person tests positive are they out automatically even if they're asymptomatic? How about their doubles partner? So many questions. Are any of you getting updates from USTA?

by Anonymousreply 129July 18, 2020 2:01 PM

I don't think they are allowed to go into Manhattan at all.

by Anonymousreply 130July 18, 2020 2:19 PM

R129, they will show it on TV

by Anonymousreply 131July 18, 2020 2:20 PM

Thiem team or Haas team?

by Anonymousreply 132July 18, 2020 3:22 PM

Team anyone but Thiem. What a dick.

by Anonymousreply 133July 18, 2020 10:52 PM

Ivanisevic team or Rafter team?

by Anonymousreply 134July 19, 2020 2:04 AM

R133 Thiem is probably the player who lost more in terms of image during this pandemic. His good guy image go direct to the shitter

by Anonymousreply 135July 19, 2020 10:06 AM

R135, I think the absolute winner in the despicable category is Novaxx

by Anonymousreply 136July 19, 2020 1:36 PM

R130, Who is "they", ball kids, Linesman, maintenance crews? Every player in the same hotel? Which one? Are they going to keep fans out of Flushing Meadows all together? Normally, you see players all over midtown, or jogging in CP. If everyone is stuck in Queens, Flushing Meadows will be packed. No way people are going to stay in their hotels. Do they have to sign a contract that says they won't go to Manhattan.

It seems like nobody knows what's going on, including USTA. The USOPEN website doesn't even have an outline for a plan, just like the rest of the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 19, 2020 3:10 PM

Also, would you want to go to Brazil right now? Hell no. That's what the rest of the world thinks about us.

by Anonymousreply 138July 19, 2020 3:16 PM

Australian airline Qantas has suspended all its international flights until March and it is likely that other Australia-based air service providers may follow suit as well. That would mean no Australian Open in January

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 19, 2020 3:37 PM

Juan Martin Del Potro. I wonder if we'll ever see him in competition again. He ditched the girlfriend ...

[quote]There are very difficult moments in the couple and none of us know what could happen after this period of isolation." Then she continues: "We lived a year of relationship and most of the time we lived together, now I went to live with my mother.

[quote]It is the best choice. At the moment we have not sent any messages of any kind." For now, no statement has come from Juan Martin Del Potro regarding this separation: he is probably now focused on training and recovering his physical condition, in order to be competitive once again against the best.

by Anonymousreply 140July 19, 2020 3:44 PM

Delpo needs to be gay. He could have any gay man sucking his dick whenever he wants.

by Anonymousreply 141July 19, 2020 4:19 PM

R136 There's a big difference, Nole was always controversial (from his bravados and suspicious retirements when he was young till his antivaxxer stance), Thiem on the other hand was the perfect example of nice guy. People here were wondering how such an angel could date someone like Kiki. Well, maybe they were not that different

by Anonymousreply 142July 19, 2020 4:29 PM

some rules...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 19, 2020 4:41 PM

some rules...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 19, 2020 4:41 PM

^ I read that as "we're giving all the players a room at the airport, they don't have to stay in it".

by Anonymousreply 145July 19, 2020 4:46 PM

Funny, I was just watching the Bett1 aces exhibition (with two mini-tournamnets, on grass and in an airport hangar which was a cool location).

Former player Barbara Rittner organised it and in her speech said thanks to the players for following her 59 page safety agreement. She talked about how this event proves that tennis CAN continue if people actually behave.

Funnily enough she was saying this in front of the winner, Dominic Thiem (he won on both surfaces, Sinner was the runner up on both). For the women Svitolina won on grass and was overall runner-up, and underdog Anastasija Sevastova won in the airport hangar (and with her SF on grass was the overall winner). She defeated Bertens, Svitolina, and Kvitova in a row... good week for her.

by Anonymousreply 146July 19, 2020 5:13 PM

Serena is a mother. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 147July 19, 2020 8:09 PM

Really, R147? I thought that would be bigger news here.

by Anonymousreply 148July 19, 2020 8:14 PM

Thiem has been exposed. He's an elitist right wing asshole

is he blatantly as much of a jerk as Djokovic or some of the others? no he has manners but still a jerk

by Anonymousreply 149July 19, 2020 8:20 PM

R146 Asshole maybe, but i'm not so sure about right wing. Basically all he said it's what his countrymen think, they are hard working the rest are just lazy.

But i think he was too harsh for his own good

by Anonymousreply 150July 19, 2020 8:25 PM

An airplane hanger sounds ideal. In NY are they going to have the big matches in Ashe? Court 17, the bull ring seems like it would be the best empty court.

Also, doesn't it seem like they should be able to accommodate SOME fans over the course of 2 weeks? I mean, come on, Ashe holds 23k, it seems like they could allow 1k free hospital workers wearing masks or something. Kids with good grades or report cards. Something for the fans and to give some life to the matches. Will any other player be able to watch any other player.? One could conceivably scout their opponent multiple times. Imagine Kyrgios watching a Djokovic match!

It's going to be a shit show, I can hardly wait. I hope our democracy holds up until then. 7 weeks, we'll probably make it, as long as you know who remains alive.

by Anonymousreply 151July 19, 2020 8:29 PM

Dominic is always posting about saving animals and the ocean, so it isn't like he is a right-winger as far as Americans are concerned. Everything is relative.

by Anonymousreply 152July 19, 2020 8:33 PM

I don’t think Thiem’s a bad guy (or that right wing), he just seems not that bright or eloquent.

by Anonymousreply 153July 19, 2020 8:36 PM

will the u.s. open STILL be selling 2020 u.s. open merchandise, official guide and so on whether in person (oh wait no one will be there in person) or on their website?...

by Anonymousreply 154July 19, 2020 8:37 PM

R152 Of course it is relative, most of american deplorable players are quite pro gay which is not that usual. And the same with spanish players who almost all are right wing but most of them are pro gay.

I don't think Dominik is a bad guy but had a very unispired months. He killed good vibe on the tour (which was weird because they are not fond of solidarity) and it was unexpected

by Anonymousreply 155July 19, 2020 8:37 PM

[quote] it seems like they could allow 1k free hospital workers wearing masks or something. Kids with good grades or report cards. Something for the fans and to give some life to the matches.

How about four hundred representatives from various charities, a sprinkling of actors of stage and screen, fashion designers and other celebrities?

by Anonymousreply 156July 19, 2020 8:37 PM

[quote] he just seems not that bright or eloquent.

Not like me. I iz smart and I rap.

by Anonymousreply 157July 19, 2020 8:41 PM

R122, Rafa's only practicing on clay right now, not his hard courts. Plus he entered the Madrid Open which starts the day of the US Open. So everyone is speculating he's opting for the French over the Open. It's not a bad idea, it's just sad he can't defend.

by Anonymousreply 158July 19, 2020 10:08 PM

*after

by Anonymousreply 159July 19, 2020 10:53 PM

I will admire Rafa for not going to the USO. He's not only thinking about himself, but his entire entourage, and their families and loved ones.

by Anonymousreply 160July 19, 2020 11:06 PM

HOW ABOUT allowing the TRUE tennis fans you know the ones who normally have to sit in the nose bleed rafters to be allowed to sit in the great seats at the open instead of no clue celebrities and sponsors and wealthy go to the open with free tickets to be seen people?!...

tennis is yet again becoming a "niche sport" for the wealthy and the powers that be seemingly could care less about the true tennis fan....

why is the topic of outrageous costs to attend a grand slam NEVER EVER EVER mentioned on tennis channel or by any commentator or any former player?? or the outrageous cost to attend a exhibition event (laver cup anyone?) either...

slew hester would be rolling in his grave if he knew what his baby, the u.s. open had become...

by Anonymousreply 161July 20, 2020 1:52 PM

Speaking of entitled assholes, does anyone remember the time Trump was in Wozniacki's box at the Open? When she was asked about it in the on court interview, she said, I don't know him, he just called and asked if he could sit here, or something to that effect. Trump was embarrassed, I think he even mouthed "don't say that". I seemed to remember that he was ALONE, and I thought, "OMG does that pig think he has a chance with Caroline?" Yep, he probably did.

by Anonymousreply 162July 20, 2020 2:00 PM

Great story, R162.

by Anonymousreply 163July 20, 2020 2:15 PM

[quote] HOW ABOUT allowing the TRUE tennis fans you know the ones who normally have to sit in the nose bleed rafters to be allowed to sit in the great seats at the open

Yeah, great idea. Pack in as many poors as you can so they can all get a good dose of COVID-19. That’ll teach the PTB, and also guarantee that only us rich folks can attend the tennis circus in future.

by Anonymousreply 164July 20, 2020 2:20 PM

R164.. who said anything about "poor"? the true tennis fan is NOT poor just average joe salary...who can't afford thousands of dollars for 1 day of a good seat at a tournament, much less a 2 week event or weekend long exhibition event...

by Anonymousreply 165July 20, 2020 2:25 PM

Honestly? Hyeon Chung can get it. Hopefully this quarantine has given him some time to rest his 75 different injuries and he can come back to the tour and snatch some toupees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 20, 2020 3:25 PM

Chung is made of class. I feel like he is forever injured after that AO run.

by Anonymousreply 167July 20, 2020 4:07 PM

i had and still have high hopes for Chung.. seems like a good guy too.. gotta love those thighs of his as well... if only 70's short shorts would make a return!...

always thought he was a more powerful nishikori but similar to him frail body if stronger and with more endurance than nishikori..

by Anonymousreply 168July 20, 2020 7:55 PM

Kei pond

by Anonymousreply 169July 20, 2020 8:02 PM

When a player is injured all the time being so young it's never a good sign

by Anonymousreply 170July 20, 2020 8:08 PM

[quote] tennis is yet again becoming a "niche sport" for the wealthy and the powers that be seemingly could care less about the true tennis fan....

I watched a replay of the 2001 men's Wimbledon final this past weekend, and it struck me how many young people were in the lower-level seats. Tons of teens and fans under 30, I'd guess, and I said to my husband that this clearly shows the effect that wealthy people and corporate sponsors have had on ticket prices.

P.S. - Goran Ivanisevic and Pat Rafter were hot back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 171July 20, 2020 8:49 PM

^The men's final was on Monday, which allowed the plebes to queue up for tickets.

Affordable, good seats at the USOpen haven't been available since the 90's. Even a grounds pass is 50. I've seen 2 Monday finals at the Open Murray d. Novaxx and Novax d. someone. 10 dollars to enter, 8 dollars a Heineken I think. They had the match broadcasting on all the tv courts. I sat in court 17, the bullring, by myself, with only a security guard present. That was fun. I was social distancing before it was cool.

by Anonymousreply 172July 20, 2020 9:33 PM

Ivanisevic was hot but he is such an asshole

by Anonymousreply 173July 20, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote] P.S. - Goran Ivanisevic and Pat Rafter were hot back in the day.

R171, I watched that match as well and had forgotten about Rafter’s skunk patch on his hair. He was very cute.

by Anonymousreply 174July 20, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote] ^The men's final was on Monday, which allowed the plebes to queue up for tickets.

I recall another time when that happened at Wimbledon and Bud Collins asked the excited kids queuing for entry whether they were “debenture holders” (long-term seat holders) knowing that they were not. Their excitement was palatable. At the majors I’ve attended recently I haven’t seen such excitement.

by Anonymousreply 175July 20, 2020 10:00 PM

I had an instant image of a pink checked sport coat.

by Anonymousreply 176July 20, 2020 10:04 PM

Rumor that the Washington event will be canceled this week because the EU won't let the players back in.

by Anonymousreply 177July 20, 2020 10:18 PM

I thought about that R177 for the quick turnaround between the USOPen and RG. I had scheduled a trip to Paris for September but I was told that I would probably have to quarantine for, at least, a week. I think it would be a scandal if players did not have to.... or at least pretend that they do.

by Anonymousreply 178July 21, 2020 10:13 AM

Danielle Collins has been kicked out of the World Team Tennis event after breaking the COVID-19 protocols and leaving the resort & the state of WV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 21, 2020 12:46 PM

There’s been some suggestion Collins has some “personal problems” which caused her to leave the site.

by Anonymousreply 180July 21, 2020 12:53 PM

I've been a tennis fan for 50 years. I was shocked that I remembered Wimbledon 2001 as a Monday final. That said, there is not a single fact that I could identify with WTT. I have a vague impression of Elton John, BJK, and Martina and Philadelphia Freedoms, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 181July 21, 2020 1:12 PM

Is Jack Sock’s actually decreasing in size?

by Anonymousreply 182July 21, 2020 7:34 PM

The Washington tournament has been called off.

by Anonymousreply 183July 21, 2020 11:30 PM

Someone please tell Sock to stay home in quarantine until further notice.

by Anonymousreply 184July 23, 2020 4:53 AM

What did he do now, R184?

by Anonymousreply 185July 23, 2020 4:55 AM

What about other slams this year? Has there already been an Australian Open?

by Anonymousreply 186July 23, 2020 4:58 AM

R186, the Australian Open was held early in the year (Djokovic won); Wimbledon cancelled, because it was insured.

Stan is out of the US Open, btw.

by Anonymousreply 187July 23, 2020 1:35 PM

R187... stan the man is out of the open? injury or doesn't want to risk it? bummer either way!..

by Anonymousreply 188July 23, 2020 3:43 PM

Chinese sports association has cancelled all WTA events in China (at least for this year), including the WTA finals in Shenzhen. There will be no race to the YEC this year. Could have huge long-term repercussions too, i'm sure the other Asian tournaments (Tokyo, Seoul etc) are not going to be held randomly for no fans in the middle of a pandemic. Palermo have already said they will take a loss this year.

This is the problem with 'following the money' all the way to a country that is not actually interested in the sport at all. Now that all that revenue is gone, as well as a huge chunk of the calendar, the WTA is probably going to go into the red, financially, if not into debt as well (especially if a stronger body like the USTA is laying off hundreds of employees).

So many of these smaller tournaments (on both ATP and especially WTA) were already struggling financially. After being cancelled this year, and with sponsors getting more conservative with their funds during this pandemic, there might not be much of a tour to come back to. Prize money across the board is expected to drop significantly next year, could see quite a lot of the tournaments not coming back, players retiring or refusing to play for small potatoes... etc.

by Anonymousreply 189July 23, 2020 8:24 PM

R188, he seems to be fine. He posted pics of himself practicing on clay; he’s made his choice of Slams.

by Anonymousreply 190July 23, 2020 10:17 PM

No Asian swing? How will we survive without the drama, excellent quality of play and audience excitement?

by Anonymousreply 191July 23, 2020 10:59 PM

That whole compelling swing, r191, is now gone!

by Anonymousreply 192July 24, 2020 12:08 AM

I think they figured out that fans COST money. That the real money is in gambling online, and ad/sponsorship revenue. Best just to convert to box seating for the 1 percent and keep socially distant from the unwashed 99 percent. As it should be.

From 2016: Those online bookmakers need endless content and the outer reaches of the tennis tour provide hour upon hour of it. The annual gross gambling yield from tennis in the UK alone went from £69m to £166m between 2011 and 2014, according to the Gambling Commission. In the six months from April to October 2014 it was £116m and rising.

by Anonymousreply 193July 24, 2020 12:29 PM

I've seen a bit of WTT this week flipping around on tv. Very sparse crowds but feasible I guess?

by Anonymousreply 194July 24, 2020 5:18 PM

Didn't World Team Tennis have socially distanced crowds even BEFORE covid?

by Anonymousreply 195July 24, 2020 5:51 PM

Haha, R195. One can say the same about the Asian Swing.

by Anonymousreply 196July 24, 2020 6:00 PM

Borna Coric is playing now (not very well) but he is looking fine.

by Anonymousreply 197July 24, 2020 6:30 PM

I want Borna so bad.

by Anonymousreply 198July 24, 2020 8:02 PM

R198= Bruna

by Anonymousreply 199July 24, 2020 8:06 PM

Krajinovic receiving Coric

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 25, 2020 5:42 AM

During a short while Coric seemed destined to big thing, it's obvious that's not going to happen

by Anonymousreply 201July 25, 2020 9:48 AM

Is anyone else shocked at the lack of information on ALL the tennis websites? It's as if COVID 19 never existed. No stories about new safety precautions or fan information about the best ways to watch. Nothing, anywhere, as far as I see. US OPEN is in a month, and the website is totally void of any stories about the event.

Just found this today: The major concerns the players had was with the quarantine time. Many players were unclear if they had to quarantine in Europe after returning from the US since the Madrid Open is happening just after the US Open. But with the new rules, players will be allowed to participate without the 14 day quarantine period. They just have to provide a certificate certifying that they are coronavirus negative.

The participants will be checked every four days and then be allowed to train or play. Earlier, it was also announced that the US Open will happen without fans.

Every 4 days??? WTF

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 25, 2020 10:58 AM

Serena Williams is going to win US open this year. But value of this year US open is going to be less than any of the 11 useless Aussie open I have won

by Anonymousreply 203July 25, 2020 11:52 AM

The Asian swing absolutely sucks but the Shenzhen YEC alone brings in 40-50% of the WTA's annual revenue. This is why they were dumb to commit to 10 years there - with that being cancelled (even just for one year) they will prob go into debt or bankruptcy unless they find other revenue streams. Might see more layoffs, and very few events next year that aren't tied to the ITF (eg the slams). The mens tour is right behind them too, aside from a few of the bigger European events which will be fine. Washington's DC Open being cancelled is not a good sign.

Borna looks great again, but even in these exhibitions his tennis has been pretty tragic. WTT standard isn't amazing either outside of some surprises like CLijsters' ballstriking and Fritz's serve becoming huge. I am so excited for tennis to return (I will even watch Palermo for the first time since nothing else is on that week lol), but expect the rust to be REAL, even in the slams this year. Massive unforced error totals and high number of double faults incoming.

by Anonymousreply 204July 25, 2020 12:15 PM

R203 No dear, even a draw with only american players that US Open will be more difficult to win than half of your 11 Australian open titles

by Anonymousreply 205July 25, 2020 12:26 PM

Can someone tell Townsend to cover up her tits? She's gonna put an eye out with those things.

by Anonymousreply 206July 25, 2020 12:51 PM

Why are none of the players on the sidelines and few of the support personnel wearing masks at the Team Tennis matches?

by Anonymousreply 207July 25, 2020 12:57 PM

R207... because they are all quarantined together in one place, unable to leave, staying at that hotel and regularly checked... although i did notice Venus is wearing a mask off court..

by Anonymousreply 208July 25, 2020 1:52 PM

R207 The only one I have seen wearing a mask is Venus. Even after she won doubles the other day, she went and put it on before going to the net and bumping racquets with the other team.

I hear the teams are isolating together and in their own 'team bubble'? Could be a danger. WTT does seem to be testing everybody though and taking it seriously. They kicked Danielle Collins out, and the other day someone's coach couldn't come to the court until halfway through their match because his test results hadn't come back yet. Probably the closest thing to what the USO will look like.

by Anonymousreply 209July 25, 2020 4:10 PM

US open will definitely happen, Cuomo wants it to. He hasn't opened anything fucking thing, he doesn't want the numbers to go up.

So there is no indoor dining, no malls, gyms, theaters etc.

There is no need for players to come to manhattan, they are there to play tennis, they can shop after they lose. If they want food, that can be delivered anytime.

by Anonymousreply 210July 25, 2020 4:56 PM

New York's case count is lower than Catalonia in recent weeks.

by Anonymousreply 211July 25, 2020 5:37 PM

R209 surely with her autoimmune disorder, doctors advised Venus to take great precaution

by Anonymousreply 212July 25, 2020 5:42 PM

Ah. Young Grigor is back and apparently healthy.

by Anonymousreply 213July 25, 2020 6:32 PM

[quote] They kicked Danielle Collins out

Good.

by Anonymousreply 214July 25, 2020 6:36 PM

R210, NY is fairly open today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 26, 2020 4:41 AM

Cuomo is being a cunt really. You cannot have a beer without food and wings don't count as food. not substantial enough. gotta be at least a sandwich or some such BS. Small biz are already suffering and barely surviving and he keeps throwing them curve balls.

But you can riot, R215

by Anonymousreply 216July 26, 2020 5:36 AM

Cuomo is being a cunt really. You cannot have a beer without food and wings don't count as food. not substantial enough. gotta be at least a sandwich or some such BS. Small biz are already suffering and barely surviving and he keeps throwing them curve balls.

But you can riot, R215

by Anonymousreply 217July 26, 2020 5:36 AM

That's because there is a constitutional right for peaceful assembly; there is no constitutional right to a beer without a club sandwich. Drink at home like other drunks.

by Anonymousreply 218July 26, 2020 3:10 PM

Halep has pulled out of Palermo, resulting in the most bitter and unprofessional press release of all time from the Palermo organisers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 26, 2020 3:14 PM

It's a little rude to the event because she didn't even enter directly. Instead of her doing that, they generously gave her a top 10 wildcard (their only top 10 wildcard). Going to be hard to pull a top 10 player out of thin air now... the event starts in a week and they have already sold the tournament on her name for over a month now.

She is still entered into Prague International a week later. Will be interesting to see if she pulls out, part of her Palermo tweet cites her "anxieties regarding air travel at this time" but she could feasibly drive from Romania to Prague..

by Anonymousreply 220July 26, 2020 3:22 PM

R219..... they are certainly not happy. Is it bad that it made me LOL?

by Anonymousreply 221July 26, 2020 3:22 PM

R221 It made me laugh too. I'm hearing Konta is likely to pull out also.

by Anonymousreply 222July 26, 2020 3:26 PM

[quote] Is it bad that it made me LOL?

I thought it was pretty hilarious too....embittered and profoundly disappointed, they're definitely not holding back. I can see why they feel that way though, they went through a lot of trouble for Halep

by Anonymousreply 223July 26, 2020 3:33 PM

I'm not sure they went to a whole load of trouble for her. I can see her point - with quarantine and lockdown rules changing almost every day all over Europe, she wouldn't want to put herself at risk of increased infection or being stuck anywhere for 14 days.

Halep was on a podcast recently talking about her lockdown experience and it was clear she was taking it extremely seriously - there was no way she was ever going to be one of those players who took part in those controversial exhibitions, no matter how much reassurance they gave her. Considering pretty much every one of those exhibitions resulted in Covid infections for players and/or their teams, she wasn't wrong.

by Anonymousreply 224July 26, 2020 3:39 PM

It's just Sicilians being dramatic! Let's face it, no one knows what the fuck they're doing. Everyone is equally ignorant and at risk. They're just making shit up in order to profit, because the only CURE for the virus, right now is avoidance, stay home and wear a mask.

Of course, no one has seen any of these 28 pages of rules.

Remember when a norovirus (cruise ship virus) swept through Indian Wells in 2012? No one called it that. They called it the stomach-flu, and then later, "like a flu". 7 players withdrew, others recovered, also took out many staff members. Nary a mention by the talking heads.

Like it never happened, and if it did it's not what they say it is, and anyway it's not so bad, so why mention it.

by Anonymousreply 225July 26, 2020 3:53 PM

Weren't italians (Rome tournament) the ones who were upset because Federer didn't play there last year?

Well, Pliskova ask for a wc but she will only use it if the US Open is not played which i find amazing in her douchebagery (i doubt the tournament is going to fall for that)

by Anonymousreply 226July 26, 2020 4:57 PM

I don't understand why Palermo thinks that not requiring the players to quarantine is a good thing and why they don't understand Halep's pulling out. If players are not quarantining in Palermo before the tournament, then that's more dangerous for them. What am I missing?

by Anonymousreply 227July 27, 2020 1:58 AM

Young Grigor had an interview in a French newspaper and says he's not ready for the US Open yet: he felt okay the first week after testing positive but then the proverbial shit hit the fan. He's still very much fatigued and has to struggle with lingering symptoms of his brush with coronavirus. And I didn't know he was part of the Moratoglou Academy now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228July 27, 2020 10:38 AM

Grigor probably has to retire and be an escort from now on.

by Anonymousreply 229July 27, 2020 11:25 AM

Andy Murray seems to be considering the US Open.

by Anonymousreply 230July 27, 2020 11:35 AM

R230 He can afford it. Private jet etc. It’s the lower ranked players who wouldn’t be able to afford such luxuries I feel sorry for.

If the US Open happens, it’s going to have a massive asterisk next to it. A lot of players just won’t feel comfortable travelling to the US right now.

by Anonymousreply 231July 27, 2020 11:51 AM

Grigor looked very frail and weak at the recent exhibition. I hope it's a lesson to other players to take this seriously. It could affect their lung capacity permanently. I find it ludicrous that Danielle Collins of all players was the one to break the WTT rules when she has an autoimmune disease.

The US Open has said they will make a FINAL decision this Wednesday. At this point it's ridiculous to expect players to plan their schedules around all the changes and potential cancellations. I think many are waving quarantine rules specifically for athletes though. I wonder what this means for their team members etc.

Palermo starts a week from today. If it goes off without a hitch it could be a very important tournament. Honestly Simona has always been a worry-wart, and I for one will not miss her shrieking and mindless running from side to side. When she learns to hit a volley her matches may become more watchable.

by Anonymousreply 232July 27, 2020 1:03 PM

Think about how 2020 will be documented in history. "The gilded age of ideocracy". Dumber today than 100 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233July 27, 2020 1:40 PM

As predicted, Konta pulls out of Palermo.

by Anonymousreply 234July 27, 2020 1:52 PM

R232 .... or if simona learns how to hit a offensive and defensive lob.... that match at the open against townsend was BEYOND ridiculous...

by Anonymousreply 235July 27, 2020 2:13 PM

[quote] Andy Murray seems to be considering the US Open.

Yay! Misery team.

by Anonymousreply 236July 27, 2020 3:01 PM

[quote] . I find it ludicrous that Danielle Collins of all players was the one to break the WTT rules when she has an autoimmune disease.

I find it of no surprise at all. It’s rather to be expected actually. She just keeps on winning doesn’t she?

by Anonymousreply 237July 27, 2020 3:07 PM

Wawrinka, Monfils and Tsonga are out of the Cincinnati event (as well as Fognini who is still recovering from double ankle surgery) - so likely out of the US Open as well. The field gets weaker and weaker. I know they weren't necessarily title threats but in a depleted draw those guys would be potential SF threats. I would laugh so hard if the ONE time none of the big 3 play, the 'new' slam winner we get is... Misery again.

Kerber has reunited with Torben Beltz after his split with Vekic. She previously had her career best year under his tutelage (2 slam wins, #1 ranking, etc.). Still no foreseeable plans to play the US swing.

Stosur did a video interview on her social media with Todd Woodbridge explaining that she will take the rest of the year off to be with her baby and plans to return to the tour in 2021. She also explained why it took her so long to 'come out' and why she decided to make it public now.

by Anonymousreply 238July 27, 2020 6:22 PM

When he is not throwing his raquet or trying to hit a referee Corentin Moutet goes all gansta

To be fair he is better than Shapo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 27, 2020 7:14 PM

R232 As a tennis player the same height/build as Simona (5’6”), volleys are a lot of risk for a 95% chance of failure. She could definitely use some well-placed approach shots, though.

by Anonymousreply 240July 27, 2020 10:13 PM

Is it true that Halep had breast-reduction surgery because her bazooms were the size of watermelons?

by Anonymousreply 241July 27, 2020 11:38 PM

R241 google her from around 2011. They were quite large.

by Anonymousreply 242July 28, 2020 12:29 AM

she said she can move better without them

by Anonymousreply 243July 28, 2020 12:52 AM

Caroline Dolehide recently had the same surgery and finally seems to be playing to her potential again.

by Anonymousreply 244July 28, 2020 9:10 AM

She used to motorboat herself through her matches.

by Anonymousreply 245July 28, 2020 9:44 AM

before & after

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246July 28, 2020 11:28 AM

Gosh, they certainly were huge and unwieldy!

by Anonymousreply 247July 28, 2020 4:48 PM

Oddly, Serena seems to do just fine with a massive pair.

by Anonymousreply 248July 28, 2020 5:16 PM

IIRC, tomorrow is the day we will find out if the US OPEN is a go. I wonder how the MLB problems might be playing for the organizers.

by Anonymousreply 249July 28, 2020 5:48 PM

Young boys the world over fantasize about big buxom ladies.

by Anonymousreply 250July 28, 2020 6:18 PM

By removing their God-given breasts they are interfering with His intentions when He created them from Adam’s rib and further trying to attain their Satanic and unnatural goal of becoming neutered men. All of them!

by Anonymousreply 251July 29, 2020 12:43 AM

World No.1 Barty has pulled out of the US Open due to corona fears.

MAJOR ASTERISK

by Anonymousreply 252July 29, 2020 10:06 PM

Which top players do you think will decide to play the US Open? If few or none do, will they cancel it?if they don’t, will Margaret Court try to get a wild card to get yet another major via an easy draw?

by Anonymousreply 253July 29, 2020 10:41 PM

It depends on quarantine guidelines, I’d suspect. Has the US issued any guidelines for people arriving from foreign countries?

I think a lot of players won’t feel safe travelling to the US while it’s still such a Covid hotspot. As Mouratoglou said the other day, it won’t be the same US Open if mainly American players play. I think they’ll go ahead with it ‘behind closed doors’ but no-one will take it seriously as a Slam if a lot of players boycott it.

by Anonymousreply 254July 30, 2020 12:18 PM

Rafa is out of Open. Nole will definitely play now. As long as Roland Garros is still on, I'm fine with this.

by Anonymousreply 255August 5, 2020 8:02 AM

Of course selfish Nole will play; and likely bring his entire entourage.

Rafa is to be admired for not only thinking of himself, but his entourage, and all of the Open staff.

by Anonymousreply 256August 5, 2020 5:31 PM

I don’t know if skipping the US Open in order to play RG is more heroic. RG is going to have up to 60% of the stands full of spectators, creating more possibilities for transmission of the virus. (The US Open will not have spectators). And there’s a separate issue to consider: because RG has been pushed back in the calendar, weather conditions will be different—apparently it will be more humid. Is there any player that benefits?

by Anonymousreply 257August 6, 2020 4:55 AM

I still think the large-format tournaments might get cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 258August 6, 2020 2:35 PM

Andreescu announced she won't defend her US Open title this year, citing too difficult to be properly prepared in these covid times.

by Anonymousreply 259August 13, 2020 10:35 PM

So Nole will win the Open and Rafa the French.

by Anonymousreply 260August 14, 2020 7:56 AM

And Serena the US Open, forever denoted with an asterisk.

by Anonymousreply 261August 15, 2020 1:28 AM

Oh damn...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262August 17, 2020 1:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!