Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Gays and Tennis part 53-summer 2020 coronavirus calamity

last thread got payrolled

So DImitrov, Coric, Troicki and now the exhibition organizer Djokovic all tested positive

Thiem, Zverev and Cilic better watch out

what a fucking PR disaster for the Nole.

by Anonymousreply 298July 8, 2020 1:35 PM

previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2020 3:52 PM

no boobs out, but....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2020 4:04 PM

Congrats Novacc!

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2020 4:04 PM

Nick Kyrgios rips Novak Djokovic after coronavirus diagnosis: ‘Don’t @ me’

Tennis has turned upside down. The world’s top player, Novak Djokovic, is setting back the sport. The ATP’s long-running headache, Nick Kyrgios, is the voice of responsibility.

Djokovic, who became the fourth player to test positive for COVID-19 — along with his wife — from the exhibition tournament he hosted in Serbia and Croatia, was quickly lambasted by the oft-criticized Australian. Kyrgios questioned why the Adria Tour took place, why players traveled from other countries for the event and why face masks and social distancing weren’t practiced at the matches.

Djokovic, the 17-time grand slam champion, created an even bigger target for himself when he was captured on video, dancing shirtless with several players from the event in a Belgrade club.

“Prayers up to all the players that have contracted Covid – 19,” Kyrgios tweeted. “Don’t @ me for anything I’ve done that has been ‘irresponsible’ or classified as ‘stupidity’ – this takes the cake.”

Kyrgios, who recently called the USTA “selfish” for not cancelling the U.S. Open despite the pandemic, described Djokovic’s exhibition matches as “boneheaded.”

The final of the Adria Tour, featuring Djokovic, was cancelled when Grigor Dimitrov tested positive for the coronavirus.

“Boneheaded decision to go ahead with the ‘exhibition’,” Kyrgios wrote. “Speedy recovery fellas, but that’s what happens when you disregard all protocols. This IS NOT A JOKE.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2020 4:07 PM

Novaxx Jocovid seems to be the favoured nickname.

by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2020 4:13 PM

When Kyrgios is the voice of reason, we're really in Bizarro-world.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2020 4:14 PM

Novaxx Jocovid !!! Best name ever!

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2020 4:32 PM

Ban every player who was at that nightclub from playing on the tour when it resumes in August. Since they don't want to follow safety protocols and have acted irresponsibly and set the sport back.

The womens exhibition started today. Every single player was tested and is negative, as are the volunteers and behind the scenes people. They are practicing social distancing and even have separate areas to go after the matches. Will be interesting to see if their event goes off without a hitch.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2020 5:04 PM

He infected my Grigor, and my Borna?????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2020 5:18 PM

R9 = Jim Courier

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2020 5:20 PM

R9 No Grigor infected Borna when they fucked. Then Grigor infected Novacc when they were playing basketball.

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2020 5:31 PM

Novak fans claim that all the backlash has to do with haters, and even it's true that Novak has a good bunch of haters (due to the combination of his bratty young years and spoiling Fedal dreams again and again) in this case i think it has not really nothing (or at least not in a big part) with it.

First it was Nole proclaiming his antivaxxer views (which in the middle of a pandemy is at least dangerous) then being overly critic of the meassures the US Open wanted to implement and then doing this tournament without caring at all about common sense.

There are a lot of people suffering right now and his behaviour was irresponsible.

I tend to like Nole, unlike Federer and Nadal, he has a personality and he is not afraid to speak his mind but he was on the wrong side of history since the beginning of the pandemy and that has a prize

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2020 5:35 PM

[quote] Novak has a good bunch of haters (due to the combination of his bratty young years and spoiling Fedal dreams again and again)

He has a good bunch of “haters” do to his behavior, bratty or otherwise, in recent years not just from his young years.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote] Novak has a good bunch of haters (due to the combination of his bratty young years and spoiling Fedal dreams again and again)

He has a good bunch of “haters” due to his behavior, bratty or otherwise, in recent years not just from his young years.

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2020 5:44 PM

Novak's exho was a dumb idea, but he didn't force the other players to show up at gunpoint? I hope the USO is cancelled now. Tennis should chalk this year up as a wash.

by Anonymousreply 15June 23, 2020 6:00 PM

I laugh at Novak exercising his ego before his brain. Because that's what got him into this predicament. I mean I hope he's okay, but I find his personality to be off-putting, always have.

by Anonymousreply 16June 23, 2020 6:03 PM

Misery Murray is playing Broady at an exhibition match now. Murray looks surprisingly cute with facial hair.

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2020 6:53 PM

Broady has quite a hairy chest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2020 6:56 PM

Are you Peace Team or Kindness Team?

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2020 9:42 PM

such tacky names R19

but I'm 'Team Kindness' because it has Puig!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2020 9:52 PM

Genie Bikini is on Team Peace, just like demure wallflower Danielle Rose Collins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2020 9:55 PM

LET'S FACE IT, THE ONLY REASON why the u.s. open is still going on is for publicity and the money (even without in person audience) that it brings the city... normally the u.s. open brings in MORE MONEY then all the other sports including the entire season of the yankees put together... it's HUGE MONUMENTAL for the city.. hence, it's all about the money, gosh knows it hasn't been about the true fan for decades that's for sure! slew hester would be rolling in his grave if he could see what the open has become and who it has catered to!...

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2020 9:58 PM

I'd fuck Murray into Sunday. Still.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2020 9:58 PM

Why, R23?

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2020 10:00 PM

[quote] such tacky names [R19]

From now on “Adria Tour” will be renamed “Peace and Kindness Tour”.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2020 10:02 PM

[quote]I'd fuck Murray into Sunday.

Kim Sears will cut a bitch

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2020 10:05 PM

Is ESL back on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2020 10:09 PM

hoping the ladies' event goes well so they can show the men how to behave whenever tournament play does resume

by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2020 10:25 PM

Are there any players who were at the Adria Tour who have NOT tested positive?

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2020 10:31 PM

Zverev and Thiem for two, I think, R29

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2020 10:34 PM

Filip Krajinović and Dusan Lajovic were also there, but I haven't heard anything about them

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2020 10:36 PM

Cilic hasn't tested positive yet either

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2020 10:36 PM

Lajovic is hot.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2020 10:37 PM

Doesn't Djokovic have a mild form of asthma or something like that which increases chances of a bad reaction to coronavirus?

remember his first few years on tour when he kept retiring and had breathing issues or something?

by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2020 10:37 PM

Vekic also tested negative though she's having another test in a few days.

It's all those other people they'll have all come into contact with, including at a fucking nightclub, who might not necessarily have immediate access to testing that I feel sorry for.

by Anonymousreply 35June 23, 2020 10:37 PM

R33.. yeah he is! absolutely gorgeous face.. and a nice bod too....male model like but NOT boyish like youngsters deemed "hot"...

by Anonymousreply 36June 23, 2020 10:52 PM

Lajovic hugging Karen K.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 23, 2020 11:02 PM

Karen H., R37.

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2020 11:06 PM

They're almost bumping uglies!

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2020 11:50 PM

I've been Novak's biggest defender for 53 threads, but not today. I thought he was smarter, I wonder what his hero Tesla would say.

The USOPEN will be a shit show. Fed is out, Rafa won't attend something were he can't control his OCD, plus he'll want so save himself for Paris, if anything. Novak has to be 50/50 at this point. It's easy to imagine that none of them will win another GS.

Obey the laws and wear the gauze and protect your jaws from septic paws!- NYC Spanish Flu Advice 1918

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2020 12:08 AM

[quote] I wonder what his hero Tesla would say.

He’d be shocked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2020 12:19 AM

if a bunch of the top players aren't playing then I hope it's canceled

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2020 12:49 AM

why cancel, this is a great chance for the lower ranked guys and gals! The prize will still be 1 million right? I think it's more...

by Anonymousreply 43June 24, 2020 1:00 AM

Would the US even allow COVID positive athletes to enter the country? Are they still holding the Citi Open in DC? Will spectators attend that one?

by Anonymousreply 44June 24, 2020 1:46 AM

Will Covid touch Roger's Cup?

by Anonymousreply 45June 24, 2020 1:47 AM

Roger's Cup is cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 46June 24, 2020 1:55 AM

Snipped or whipped, Mirka?

by Anonymousreply 47June 24, 2020 2:01 AM

[quote] Roger's Cup is cancelled.

Is this an allowable topic on this thread?

by Anonymousreply 48June 24, 2020 2:48 AM

wow this tennis thing is so big that it's even getting mainstream news coverage! Usually we're lucky if espn devotes a segment.

Coming up next on CNN, Patrick McEnroe will be talking to Don Lemon about Djokovic's disaster

by Anonymousreply 49June 24, 2020 3:39 AM

There were 4,000 people at that Adria event. It's just insane they had the arrogance to go ahead with it, like they thought they were 'above' catching and spreading Covid.

Djokovic's half-apology was insulting. As if a virus is going to take best intentions into account. We know he lives in his own world and is possibly a bit stupid/has a screw loose but he and his peers have put thousands of people at risk.

by Anonymousreply 50June 24, 2020 5:45 AM

Guess who keeps spreading the love? Djokovic has gone and infected the NBA as well. Jokic won't be able to enter the US for the time being. Were all the Balkan athletes at the event last week?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 24, 2020 11:54 AM

may I join you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 24, 2020 11:56 AM

Novacc's father blames Grigor for the whole thing He said Grigor hurts Serbia and his family.

by Anonymousreply 53June 24, 2020 12:11 PM

Everyone involved is a grown adult, so just blaming Novaxx, though fun, lets the rest off.

by Anonymousreply 54June 24, 2020 12:16 PM

R53 Novak's father should just shut up.

Here the problem goes beyond who was the zero patient. Novak spreaded an antivaxxer message, then criticied the US Open and the preventive meassures, then they did the Adria tour without taking care of anything at all and Grigor (who is clearly a childish irresponsible) has nothing to do with that

by Anonymousreply 55June 24, 2020 12:18 PM

R54 Djokovic organised and hosted the tournament under his delusion the virus wasn't a 'thing' in that region. He has a record of saying and doing stupid things and this one is potentially fatal for those involved. Yes, the other players are grown adults and can afford private jets etc but going to a nightclub and a stadium with 4000 people? They're all stupid but they wouldn't have been there if Djokovic hadn't organised it.

by Anonymousreply 56June 24, 2020 12:24 PM

I think Novax name has been tarnished. For good or for a while? we will see. But, remember, that he was pretty much disliked already and this shit show might be the point of no return.

by Anonymousreply 57June 24, 2020 12:48 PM

Novak is probably taking bleach bath right now...you know, like Chris Cumo's wife lol...

by Anonymousreply 58June 24, 2020 12:52 PM

But being disliked only affect his ego (he obviously wants to be liked). He is able to defeat any rival even with all the crowd cheering his rival

by Anonymousreply 59June 24, 2020 1:20 PM

Hopefully the corona will destroy his lungs.

by Anonymousreply 60June 24, 2020 1:45 PM

And the problem is that you can catch the virus twice..... I can only imagine the ATP meetings today about the US Open.

by Anonymousreply 61June 24, 2020 1:53 PM

Lajovic and Milojevic tested negative

by Anonymousreply 62June 24, 2020 1:57 PM

R43, Djokovic and his family need to jump off a cliff. His dad is a horrible human being...they're never the problem. Ever!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 24, 2020 2:04 PM

R60 you deserve the most painful death for that stupid comment.

by Anonymousreply 64June 24, 2020 2:26 PM

Dani Vallverdu defended Grigor on twitter. He seems to not be a fan of Novak's father

by Anonymousreply 65June 24, 2020 4:29 PM

[quote] Novacc's father blames Grigor for the whole thing He said Grigor hurts Serbia and his family.

Why? How? He seems like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 66June 24, 2020 5:04 PM

R66 He is

by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2020 5:07 PM

Novax, in the public conscious, will forever have the cooties

by Anonymousreply 68June 24, 2020 5:25 PM

So you're still defending Djocovid after all this, R64?

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2020 5:49 PM

R64 HELL NO I'm not defending Novak. He's an idiot. The comment from R60 was uncalled for. R60 is also an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2020 5:57 PM

In Italy they are playing the National Championships this week. Last time they were played was 2004. Top seeds on male side are Sonego, Gaio, Fabbiano and Giustino. Female draw led by Paolini and Travis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2020 6:24 PM

Do we detect a little bit of homophobia in Novaxx Djokovid's words?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2020 7:41 PM

R72 Please explain, i can't read the article

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2020 7:49 PM

Just the "he came here infected," that Grigor "spread the virus in Serbia" crap.

And now, even Novaxx's mother!!!! Can't that family keep it together? They are embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2020 7:53 PM

LMFAO so Djokovic is now turning on 1 of his former bffs in an effort to save his own reputation

that's pretty low

sure DImitrov is a moron too but Djokovic is no better for not having precautions and going out clubbing

by Anonymousreply 75June 24, 2020 8:01 PM

R74 Well that's nationalism and xenophobic but i can't see the homophobia

by Anonymousreply 76June 24, 2020 8:11 PM

How has Margaret Court been coping with the pandemic? Has she been in isolation with her former lez lovers from the WTA, trying to cure them?

by Anonymousreply 77June 24, 2020 8:50 PM

How has Margaret Court been coping with the pandemic? Has she been in isolation with her former lez lovers from the WTA, trying to cure them?

by Anonymousreply 78June 24, 2020 8:50 PM

R77/R78, I think on one of the earlier threads she was quoted as saying something to the effect that her church was protected by Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 79June 24, 2020 9:47 PM

Poor Margaret never was bright.

by Anonymousreply 80June 24, 2020 9:49 PM

The entire Djokovic entourage is trailer trash

by Anonymousreply 81June 24, 2020 11:25 PM

always cracked me up, the scene (on video at youtube) where federer playing novak tells novak's parents to shut up! since they were near the court talking loudly and i guess rudely and talking smack as well?...

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2020 12:42 AM

[quote] The entire Djokovic entourage is trailer trash

Djeplorables

by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2020 12:54 AM

Puig!

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2020 3:30 AM

Thiem regrets playing the Adria Tour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2020 2:08 PM

Meanwhile, Thiem's Manager puts the blame on Novaxx: “I have to blame Djokovic. Okay, the others took part, but he was very much behind it. Originally for honorable reasons, the charity idea was at the center. But it has gone in a completely wrong direction and has been abused as a publicity show. You have to blame Djokovic for that."

The Adria Tour clusterfuck continues. To be a fly on Djokovic's wall. He has to be fuming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2020 2:24 PM

Thiem is regretting a lot of things lately

by Anonymousreply 87June 25, 2020 2:25 PM

R86; Nobody will argue that Novak is one of the main guilty ones, but i'm pretty sure he didn't put a gun in Dom's head to force him to dance in a club full of people

by Anonymousreply 88June 25, 2020 2:27 PM

I guess this is a new Nike kit C. Moutet is wearing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 25, 2020 3:18 PM

Miss Mary Carillo: Athletes like Djokovic think 'science is just another opinion'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90June 25, 2020 4:00 PM

were they paid appearance fees to show up at the nightclub? Novak is so shady. I don't believe it was for "charity"

by Anonymousreply 91June 25, 2020 4:39 PM

Even as a kid Djokovid came across as one of those kids from Children of the Damned/Corn, seeking his myrmidons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 25, 2020 5:08 PM

this blame game thing is absurd

Obviously Djokovic is most at fault as he organized the event and it was centered around him. That said, ALL OF THE PLAYERS who went out to the night club and who played contact basketball are also at fault. Thiem trying to distance himself from it is a pathetic move. Djokovic of course looks worse having his father blame Dimitrov. I don't feel sorry for any of them

by Anonymousreply 93June 25, 2020 5:40 PM

To be fair Thiem is one of the few that recognized his mistakes (but he should say people of his entourage to shut up).

They are not the only ones making exhibitions, Felix or Tsitsipas played too, but the security meassures where very different and the behaviour of the players too.

People blaming each other are ridiculous because the behaviour of the players (even without the disastrous organization of the tournament) was awful. The hugs (i doubt they like each other that much) and the party were prime examples of what you don't have to do.

But Nole's father is probably the one who started the blame game with his attack on Dimitrov (not a good idea to attack a player who seems to be liked by his peers) and now everybody seems to be doing it (not a good idea at all)

by Anonymousreply 94June 25, 2020 6:57 PM

When did Felix play at an exhibition recently, R94?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95June 25, 2020 7:27 PM

If two boobs touch metaphorically is that a breach of social distancing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 25, 2020 7:34 PM

Wow, Felix has grown to be a good looking man!

by Anonymousreply 97June 25, 2020 7:38 PM

Thiem seems like such a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 98June 25, 2020 7:38 PM

R95: You are right, i read that he was going to play and supposed he played the exhibition

R98: He dated Mldonna, you need to have some courage to do that

by Anonymousreply 99June 25, 2020 7:56 PM

And Croatia sees its second worse day of COVID infections after getting the number of cases to zero.

by Anonymousreply 100June 25, 2020 11:05 PM

So Djocovid literally restarted an epidemic. That won't look good on his GOAT resume.

by Anonymousreply 101June 25, 2020 11:15 PM

Nole.

by Anonymousreply 102June 26, 2020 3:26 AM

Why are none of you queens talking about ME, the Empress of Tennis? I am definitely winning the record-tying 24th at the US Open, baby. Which reminds me, did I mention I had a baby recently?

by Anonymousreply 103June 26, 2020 6:36 AM

R101, Basically, he did...Grigor better keep his ass at home or the people of Monaco will kick him out.

by Anonymousreply 104June 26, 2020 7:48 AM

Goran Ivanisevic has tested positive for COVID-19 as well

by Anonymousreply 105June 26, 2020 12:19 PM

Domicakes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 26, 2020 3:21 PM

That ass is so juicy, it's leaking.

by Anonymousreply 107June 26, 2020 7:28 PM

let's post some new Vasek "tripod" Pospisil photos....

by Anonymousreply 108June 26, 2020 10:48 PM

Why “tripod”?

by Anonymousreply 109June 26, 2020 10:49 PM

third leg, duh

by Anonymousreply 110June 26, 2020 10:51 PM

Motor Mouth Tracy Austin is commentating that insipid WTA Charleston thing. She NEVER shuts the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 111June 26, 2020 11:45 PM

R110, is there any evidence Popsicle has a “tripod”?

by Anonymousreply 112June 26, 2020 11:50 PM

R111... true about Austin,, i used to like her commentating but now it's non stop her talking... like she's STILL STILL trying to prove something to anyone and everyone who will listen and is watching..

by Anonymousreply 113June 27, 2020 1:18 AM

I don't mind Austin, her analysis usually makes a lot of sense even if her voice is a bit whiny. I haven't heard her much this week anyway, it's mostly been Lindsay D and co. during the matches I watch.

It's a far cry from the nonsense in Belgrade and Croatia. I love the little device the ballkids are using, and every player having their own color-coded dot on their own balls. Everyone is wearing masks and it looks safe and competitive. A win for the WTA, for once lol.

As for the players:

THE GOOD: Kenin hasn't missed a beat. She is playing great, her game isn't flashy but it's so safe, the right amount of aggression and defence. Tomljanovic playing well too, and Jennifer Brady who was steadily improving after moving her base to Germany. Dolehide has improved. Leylah Fernandez might be top 50 by now if the tour had continued, she was on a roll in Mexico and is still playing great. Much as I can't stand her, Bethanie is playing well too. Bouchard is working with Rennae Stubbs and seems to be a lot more technically sound.

THE BAD: Puig!, Riske, and Azarenka are playing even poorer than you'd expect. Especially with how good Riske was playing last year. Anisimova too, her serve is so weak for her height. Emma Navarro (the organisers' daughter) as average as you'd expect, and Shelby Rogers still isn't showing the form we saw years ago. Sloth Stephens has put on even more weight. She can barely move and I can't see her losing it before the tour resumes.

Danielle Collins is somewhere in the middle. Keys as messy as usual (and she WON Charleston last year) but both these ladies will always be streaky it seems.

by Anonymousreply 114June 27, 2020 8:24 AM

Is Naomi Osaka playing?

by Anonymousreply 115June 27, 2020 9:04 AM

With Gramps's career almost over and Nole's uncertain health even if he does recover from Covid-19, the path has been cleared for Rafa to get the all-time record and extend it beyond anyone's reach.

by Anonymousreply 116June 27, 2020 9:24 AM

vamos!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 27, 2020 10:31 AM

I will never bet against Rafa in Roland Garros, but in my opinion last year make very clear that if Thiem reach the final without that much effort (last year he had a very tough draw and had a rocky start) he can compete. During two sets the level was tight, then he failed a couple of shots and he simply run out of gas.

Outside Roland Garros i can't see Rafa dominating. He can win, of course, he usually does well at the US Open, but i think there won't be so easy from now on. Not for him, not for Nole either.

I would say that Roger's career is done, but the truth is he was playing l ike crap at the Australian Open and he was able to reach semifinals and even gave a scare to Nole. If he is able to recover well he'll be there in the final rounds

by Anonymousreply 118June 27, 2020 11:04 AM

R118 Thanks for letting us all know.

by Anonymousreply 119June 27, 2020 11:09 AM

Novaxx can't afford to lose any more weight...he will be the Darfur Orphan of the ATP

by Anonymousreply 120June 27, 2020 1:18 PM

You can see their time coming to an end.

Federer's slam winning days look to be over. He was VERY lucky to limp to the AO semi final this year, on the backs of MASSIVE chokes from Tennys Sandgren and John Millman, both of whom had several match points against him. If he couldn't seal a 21st at Wimbledon last year when Djokovic was playing like absolute shit in that final (and Federer himself had several MPs), then it's just not likely to happen. The organisers at Wimbledon and the AO will pull every trick and favour in the book to help him and it's still not enough.

Nadal was still the favourite in Paris this year and he really got shafted more than the other 2 by this pandemic. He was likely going to tie the record 20 slams and potentially even rack up a few other titles on clay, adding to his legacy. Sure he might still win in September if it goes ahead, but the conditions will be completely different and there aren't as many clay warmups, plus people will put an asterisk next to that slam even if he does win it.

I can't stand Nole or his overly defensive game but I fully expect him to continue dominating and winning slams until he overtakes them both. I believe the stats show he is more vulnerable to others outside of the big 3 (than Fed/Nadal) but he remains undefeated this year and if healthy he's still the one to beat on every court in the world except for Rome and RG.

Thiem is good for giving them a proper scare (and he's really started owning Roger) but still doesn't seem to have the juice to get it over the line in a slam final yet. Sissypants has the game to get there eventually and he showed that at the YEC but probably after they retire. Medvedev played a great hard court swing last year but it's still a question if he has the staying power (sometimes Asian swing results can be inflated because so many players tank or don't play, same with the tournaments right before USO). Zverev is a laughing stock to them at the slams.

by Anonymousreply 121June 27, 2020 3:31 PM

The questions with Thiem is to see if he is able to be regular. He has everything to win all the GS (probably except Wimbledon) but he needs to step up, win more easily the first rounds to reach the final rounds fresh. Once he breaks and win that big title there'll be more to come and he seems the type of player who goes better with the years.

I think Tsitsipas will be a thread soon too. I have doubts with Medvedev. Anyway, Medvedev and Zverev have a body type who will probably won't admit long careers (unless they gain some muscle)

Rafa and Nole will be contenders but not the only favourites in a near future. Anyway unless they have tough matches from fourth round, their experience will be a big factor in finals if they reach the final without playing long matches

by Anonymousreply 122June 27, 2020 3:36 PM

Are we sure that we will see a US Open and RG?

by Anonymousreply 123June 27, 2020 4:53 PM

Thiem often goes 4-5 sets in the earlier rounds and doesn't conserve his energy by the time he faces the big 3 at slams. If he gets more consistent he'll be ready to go. I don't care though as his personality is a turn-off. Shame as he has an awesome game (when not littering errors)

Medvedev is a pure scrapper and counter puncher. He was exhausted by the time he reached last year's USO final. He only selectively goes for winners but either can't or won't go for them earlier in points. That's not going to get it done at most slams

by Anonymousreply 124June 27, 2020 5:39 PM

[quote]Sloth Stephens has put on even more weight

Yeah, she's got quite the gut. When she started working with coach Sven Groeneveld (which didn't last very long) she said the only rule she had was being allowed to eat whatever she wanted. Not very professional

by Anonymousreply 125June 27, 2020 6:07 PM

Agreed, R120--Djokcovid looks only a couple of coughs away from crumbling into Skeletor dust.

by Anonymousreply 126June 27, 2020 6:16 PM

R123: I think we'll see Roland Garros, France like other european countries are dealing quite well with coronavirus right now, probably there'll be more problems in a near future but i doubt it'll get out of control.

The USA on the other hand, sorry to say but you are doing really bad (not surprising when you have an idiot in chief who is encouraging people to do all the wrong things) so we'll see

by Anonymousreply 127June 27, 2020 6:28 PM

novak posted a pic on his insta today with holding his kid. wtf? I hope it's an old picture....

by Anonymousreply 128June 27, 2020 7:26 PM

Draw for Perugia (Italy) tournament starting tomorrow (with qualification)

It is open to foreign players with Andujar being the highlight

[1] Sonego vs [WC] Passaro

Balzerani vs Grigelis

[8] Arnaboldi vs Brancaccio

Vanni vs Fonio

[4] Giustino vs Qualifier

Vavassori vs Bortolotti

[5] Taberner vs Pellegrino

Ornago vs Rondoni

Musetti vs Bonadio

Qualifier vs [6] Moroni

[WC] Cobolli vs [WC] Gigante

Qualifier vs [3] Fabbiano

Crepaldi vs Forti

Bega vs [7] Galovic

Capecchi vs [WC] Nardi

Qualifier vs [2] Andujar

by Anonymousreply 129June 27, 2020 8:48 PM

Musetti has a lovely game

by Anonymousreply 130June 27, 2020 9:00 PM

Excellent posts R114 and R121.

by Anonymousreply 131June 27, 2020 9:30 PM

Why Domicakes not wear white shorts?

by Anonymousreply 132June 27, 2020 9:43 PM

I wouldn't set foot in the States until they get their corona act together. It wouldn't surprise me that will be the sentiment of many players too.

by Anonymousreply 133June 27, 2020 10:31 PM

If Serena ties Court's record by winning a joke US Open with most of the other players missing how will the American cheerleaders like BJK try to defend it after having knocked Court's Australian Open wins as meaningless for years? Will Serena 's win be given extra woke points for coming soon after all the BLM protests?

by Anonymousreply 134June 28, 2020 10:33 AM

That won't be a problem, half of Margaret Court's Australian Open were more an australian championship than anything else (and some of them even without Evonne Goolagong)

by Anonymousreply 135June 28, 2020 10:45 AM

Margaret Court's slams are an actual piece of comedy. In one AO she literally won only four matches for a GS title.... she got a walkover in the final and a BYE in the first round. Players she was beating often had full time jobs outside of tennis and weren't even professionals. She was literally annihilating PE teachers, college students and postal workers in the early rounds.

Nobody played the AO in those days. For fucks sake, Chris O'Neill won in 1978 despite never even reaching another career final at any level. She has a 19–52 win/loss record and a career high ranking of #80. Yet still a 'grand slam champion.' It was a joke until the mid to late 90s.

Even FOUR TIME Australian Open champion Andre Agassi missed it 10 years (8 in a row) because it wasn't considered legit and he couldn't be bothered taking a flight. The prize money was low, the surface was constantly changing, it was even held twice one year in two different cities. The Sydney International tournament has been around longer (since the late 1800s) and was more prestigious and heavily attended until the late 1980s.

As much as everyone will asterisk the slams this year (assuming they're still played), to win it Serena will have to get through 7 women who all play full time on the tour, all over the world, year in and year out. Which will make it a more legitimate achievement than about 60% of Margaret Court's grand slam wins.

by Anonymousreply 136June 28, 2020 12:00 PM

This year US Open is the slam opportunity of a lifetime for Eugenie 60uchard: how could you not pencil her into the final as seed #2?

by Anonymousreply 137June 28, 2020 12:38 PM

R136... good post, although i think? you meant to state that the aussie open wasn't truly legit until the mid 80's and onward (not the 90's)... then again perhaps earlier because chrissie and martina did play it in the early 80's on grass at kooyong....

speaking of evert she only played the aussie i believe 6 times in her entire career! she also missed 3 french opens too... her grand slam total would actually be more like 21 at least....

so whether court or serena the context of grand slam singles totals as well as their importance in determining greatest of all time status needs to be put into context ...

by Anonymousreply 138June 28, 2020 1:03 PM

Also, R136, on another DL thread here a couple of years ago, I went back and analyzed all the quality opponents who were in the draws during Court's years. You accurately stated it above, but what I recall is that as for numbers of match wins, even Evert and Navratilova sometimes had byes in the early rounds. I think it was Graf who was the first grand slam woman's champ to consistently win seven matches each slam.

by Anonymousreply 139June 28, 2020 3:57 PM

Zverev was caught partying hard without social distance.

He is too stupid for his own good

by Anonymousreply 140June 28, 2020 7:24 PM

[quote] He is too stupid for his own good

I iz smart!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141June 28, 2020 7:25 PM

Well, Shapo is not the brightest but at least he was able to pass the pandemic without making a fool of himself, others can't say the same

by Anonymousreply 142June 28, 2020 7:27 PM

R124 Agree - Thiem has really fallen in my estimation as his true personality has come to light.

by Anonymousreply 143June 28, 2020 10:30 PM

Actually the problem with Zverev is that he lied.

“I deeply apologize to anyone that I have put at risk...I will proceed to follow self-isolating guidelines...stay safe Folded hands.” And then he gets caught partying. No isolation, no social distance.... really, really stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144June 28, 2020 11:11 PM

Surreal, that tennis players are held to a higher standard of behavior and respond more intelligently than our fucking President and 52 Senators.

by Anonymousreply 145June 28, 2020 11:36 PM

Whore-moans.

by Anonymousreply 146June 28, 2020 11:55 PM

It seems pretty clear that Flopos, like Djokcovid, will stay just as arrogant and megalomaniacal as he demonstrated here and so many other times. Unlikely that he'll ever reach the same level of tennis as Novaxx though. The contrition they've both expressed couldn't be faker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147June 29, 2020 1:33 AM

Zverev is a typical airhead athlete

a lot of these people aren't well educated and probably don't follow the news

I'm not surprised that he went out again after the disastrous exhibition

by Anonymousreply 148June 29, 2020 2:56 AM

It's time to face facts. No sensible person should be attending stadium sporting events until there is a vaccine and/or cure. Look at the data, staying home, wearing a mask works. Socializing, spreads it. Bars, restaurants and parties are the worst. Sports includes all three at once.

Cancel every unnecessary social event until next year. Maybe have Italy and Spain plan for a hi-tech, socially distant experience for the clay season.

The USTA/USOPEN is in denial. Every single sign points to a giant FAILURE that will cost lives. Covidiots

No one is going to watch tennis with no fans, especially with all the ugly players in hideous clothes. Maybe if they played in jockstraps and Bra/panties, they'd get an audience. Can you imagine C.H. Shriver reporting from her paneled (i'm guessing) rec. room? Flipping around to difference courts with no fans. Women's tennis without hot coaches is unwatchable for me. I'm Ova it.

by Anonymousreply 149June 29, 2020 3:17 AM

[quote] I'm Ova it.

Which Ova?

by Anonymousreply 150June 29, 2020 3:20 AM

R149, will P. H. Shriver be in her bra and panties too when she reports on those matches where a naked Serena shoves a fucking ball down the fucking ass of a naked Kenin Kardenne? Jesus, Lord, strike all of these sinners dead.

by Anonymousreply 151June 29, 2020 6:30 AM

Again, Kyrgios shows he’s one of the few voices of reason in this COVID mess. Djokovic and Zverev have to be the most toxic players at the moment, and are sorely in need of a truly stratospheric PR firm, considering they have no conscience to speak of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 29, 2020 9:11 AM

I love Kyrgios. I'd love to see him win a slam one day just for the on-court interview and post match press-conferences. He's talented enough to win one and interesting enough to be great for the game, if only he'd behave better on court.

by Anonymousreply 153June 29, 2020 9:23 AM

This is the first time I’ve ever liked Kyrgios

by Anonymousreply 154June 29, 2020 9:29 AM

Shapo has sexy blond haired legs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 29, 2020 10:32 AM

The main thing holding Kyrgios back is that is just that he isn't that passionate about tennis, the sport he's really good at. He could sort out his temperament and his technical issues with application and good advice, but doesn't want to bother. It's not the end of the world, but it is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 156June 29, 2020 11:30 AM

The issue with Kyrgios is probably mental health. He acknowledges he went through rough episodes of depression and you definitely cannot be passionate and depressed at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 157June 29, 2020 11:42 AM

I absolutely love his game, the perfect combination of devastatingly powerful groundstrokes and deft touch. He has some of the best volleys in the game, his serve is like a bullet, and unlike others of his generation he can do more than just hit cross-court with topspin from the baseline (sorry to Borna who I love, but it's true). He also seems like the only hope of legitimately OUTPLAYING the Big 3 regularly in big tournaments, even when they are playing well themselves.

But I do find him cringeworthy. The lame 'inspirational' quotes he puts on his instagram, the 'I fuck so many chicks' bravado, the constant appropriation of black culture (from the basketball jerseys to the slang he uses), and the attention-seeking antics on court. It's a shame because he's often on the right side of social issues (Coronavirus, criticising Margaret Court, supporting female players) and does seem like a good guy underneath all the bullshit.

It might be mental health, who knows. He was a very overweight child of immigrant parents and might have some issues stemming from that. You can pretty much tell that he was never intending on becoming a professional tennis player. So the lack of work ethic is not a surprise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 29, 2020 11:55 AM

I hope Kyrgios realizes that none of us have forgotten that he too is an enormous piece of shit

by Anonymousreply 159June 29, 2020 11:56 AM

R157, part of his depression issues may well be that he's doing something he doesn't enjoy that much.

by Anonymousreply 160June 29, 2020 11:57 AM

Yeah he's acknowledged he's had problems with mental health and his heart just isn't in the game. Tennis isn't his favourite sport and he feels kind of 'forced' into it as he's so good at it. He's earned so much already just playing half-hearted, why would he bother putting in more work?

It's a complete shame as he's obviously a good bloke - he remains popular among the other players. It'd be so good for the game to have a top player be as outspoken as he is. The Top Three are probably the best players to ever play the sport, but let's be honest, they're fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 161June 29, 2020 11:59 AM

Kyri-gross

by Anonymousreply 162June 29, 2020 12:06 PM

Not sure I'd call Djocovid boring.

by Anonymousreply 163June 29, 2020 12:48 PM

Nick is an attention whore. He acts like he doesn't care but public opinion mattes to him A LOT. He is probably enjoying the attention of people praising him for his corona response.

by Anonymousreply 164June 29, 2020 1:10 PM

We are talking about someone who trashed his best friend (Melo doesn't know how to talk with women or book a hotel, he is totally useless and didn't won a single match in his whole life) on an interview and made his father cry on court.

In my opinion they treated him like he was the future prince of tennis and he didn't grow up.

I had a very bad reaction to Thiem's words about lower ranked players (basically because i thought he was a very nice guy) but at least he reacted fast this time and apologized for his behaviour (his opinion is basically what his country thinks about southern european countries and he changed those countries for lower ranked players).

Most tennis players really showed the worst of them during the pandemic. A lot of spanish players were trashed by their opinions (which were clearly far right). They seem to live in their own bubble where everybody thinks the same and do the same

by Anonymousreply 165June 29, 2020 1:16 PM

Obvious great talent and mentally ill Kyrigos couldn't win 2 matches in a row without a stand full of fans.

It's the not giving a shit that makes his game LOOK brilliant. I think that any of the top players could appear just as talented if they went out on court with an I'm bored or "I don't give a shit" attitude, like Nick does sometimes. It's his instability that throws the top players off their games. Top players are used to disciplined opponents.

by Anonymousreply 166June 29, 2020 1:17 PM

You play in a full arena and you don't even give a shit? So disgraceful, really. Now, excuse me: I have millions to count and a party to attend.

by Anonymousreply 167June 29, 2020 1:35 PM

#ShitChrissieSays

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 29, 2020 2:22 PM

R168 wow I needed that laugh

by Anonymousreply 169June 29, 2020 4:42 PM

There's a video interview on the ATP Facebook page Popsicle did with gay former player Brian Vahaly about his time on the tour being closeted. It won't let me link to the video but here's the URL:

facebook.com/ATPTour/videos/743389056446674/

by Anonymousreply 170June 29, 2020 5:01 PM

ok that didn't work lol, there shouldn't be any spaces in that link

by Anonymousreply 171June 29, 2020 5:08 PM

For those of us with no Facebook, r170, can we have a brief rundown of the interview? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 172June 29, 2020 6:37 PM

R130 I am watching Musetti's match live in Perugia....they play without crowd. Last week in the other Italian tournment held they allowed a limited crowd.

by Anonymousreply 173June 29, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote]For those of us with no Facebook, [R170], can we have a brief rundown of the interview?

maybe this link works

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174June 29, 2020 8:04 PM

And Corentin Moutet behaved badly on an exhibition.

He gives me Cantona vibes, they interview him and it's all sensibility and poetry but once he is on court he goes all mr Hyde

by Anonymousreply 175June 29, 2020 8:25 PM

Kind of reminds you of Sir Murray and brat Andy.

by Anonymousreply 176June 29, 2020 9:12 PM

Thanks, r174.

by Anonymousreply 177June 29, 2020 9:43 PM

Musetti loses.

by Anonymousreply 178June 29, 2020 9:55 PM

where is that woman's tournament being played with nearly a full house? shame on all involved!...

unless a tournament is held in Antarctica and outside, no country has any business holding any kind of tournament/exhibition whatever..

by Anonymousreply 179June 30, 2020 12:10 AM

Quick bites:

- Former Wimbledon semi finalist Tsvetana Pironkova is apparently intending to make a return at the US Open.

- Fognini had surgery on both ankles and is in rehab at the moment.

- According to Czech tabloids, Petra Kvitova's coach is rumoured to be in a relationship with her after officially divorcing his wife.

- Venus is on a random game show on CBS with Keegan Michael Key hosting? This may be old news but I just found out about it lol, how random.

- Nicky is going at it with Boris Becker about the Zverev thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180June 30, 2020 9:43 AM

I love Venus's game show, more for the sexy Gronk guy. I'd never heard of him before. He's a hoot.

Why did CoCo Gauff not play the Charleston exho? Were her boorish parents/agents holding out for more money?

by Anonymousreply 181June 30, 2020 10:21 AM

It seems Becker called Kyrgios rat (the president of the german federation did the same) for saying what's obvious about Zverev.

Zverev is not only irresponsible he is an hypocrit too, but it seems you can't touch the golden boy without upset some idiots on the german federation

by Anonymousreply 182June 30, 2020 1:27 PM

Becker has always been an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 183June 30, 2020 2:10 PM

A. Zverev

by Anonymousreply 184June 30, 2020 2:14 PM

yes, I just saw the tweets between becker and nick.

Boris is a fucking idiot. Esp fucking that whore and in the Japanese restaurant...and all his stupid money woes...he should talk!

I agree with Nick...shocking! I don't like him at all, he has lots of mental problems but at least he's himself, he's real.

by Anonymousreply 185June 30, 2020 2:23 PM

Link to the tweet conversation please.

by Anonymousreply 186June 30, 2020 2:55 PM

R186 how fucking difficult is it to do a twitter search for Nick Kyrgios or Boris Becker, you fucking idiot?

by Anonymousreply 187June 30, 2020 3:34 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188June 30, 2020 3:54 PM

TeamNick...I've always thought he was an ass but he has proven himself lately. He's also fun to watch when not being self destructive

by Anonymousreply 189June 30, 2020 3:58 PM

you just know that when he makes a "mistake" next year...and you know he will...everyone's gonna come down on him hard.

by Anonymousreply 190June 30, 2020 4:01 PM

R190: That won't change the fact that he is right here.

I think it's useful to remember that before being caught partying hard, Zverev said he was going to quarantine for 14 days after the Adria Tour debacle (after apologizing, of course).

Kyrgios is a jerk, but unlike others he is behaving during the pandemic

by Anonymousreply 191June 30, 2020 5:34 PM

Thanks, R188.

by Anonymousreply 192June 30, 2020 5:43 PM

I respect Nick for using his platform to make young people aware that this is serious. He has never struck me as someone who is afraid to call someone out. When you’re right, you’re right!

Also, he deserves sainthood for not typing YOU’RE in capitals. I cringed at Becker’s yours.

by Anonymousreply 193June 30, 2020 5:46 PM

B. Zverev

by Anonymousreply 194July 1, 2020 2:53 AM

C. Zverev

by Anonymousreply 195July 1, 2020 3:07 AM

D. Zverev

by Anonymousreply 196July 1, 2020 3:49 AM

Shapo celebrates Canada Day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 1, 2020 1:02 PM

I remember that video where they question a bunch of players if a celebrity was canadian or american. He failed a lot

by Anonymousreply 198July 1, 2020 1:57 PM

Shapo is cool AF!

by Anonymousreply 199July 1, 2020 2:08 PM

Shapo is dumb as a rock

by Anonymousreply 200July 1, 2020 2:23 PM

Can anyone explain the insanely baroque format for the Mouratoglou “tournament”? What are the “steal serve” and “triple point” cards? How does anyone know what’s happening on court??

Oh, and I’d also like to know if there’s anyone more beautiful than Berrettini playing on the ATP tour.

TIA.

by Anonymousreply 201July 1, 2020 2:34 PM

R201 I first noticed Berrettini during his big run at the US Open and was immediately enamored with how good he looked. He has an ass that rivals Rafa.

by Anonymousreply 202July 1, 2020 2:37 PM

It's curious that he has no massive following. He is handsome, his tennis is highly entertainning (even a lot of people think his level will low eventually) and he became a top player, but for some reason he is very far from the popularity of other youngsters even some who did way less than him

by Anonymousreply 203July 1, 2020 2:42 PM

[quote] Shapo is dumb as a rock

Shapo be dumb.

by Anonymousreply 204July 1, 2020 2:47 PM

R202... i hear you about berrettini at the open! even the commentators went on about his "female following" in the crowd and you know they wanted to say something about him every match wearing see thru when wet with water and sweat white shorts showing off his light blue bikini underwear!....

by Anonymousreply 205July 1, 2020 5:10 PM

Forza!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206July 1, 2020 6:02 PM

He is absolutely gorgeous and I love the longer hair he's been growing out recently. Although I wish he would fix the neckbeard that sometimes appears.

Hopefully he has been working on that backhand during this time because it really is the glaring weakness in his game. As soon as someone starts to target it a bit, his whole game is thrown off.

Side note: He obviously has a very fit sexy body but does anyone find it kind of weirdly proportioned? His arms are VERY long and skinny, and his torso and frame itself is quite boxy and almost flat (not unlike Wawrinka's, but Matteo is taller). Not saying I would kick him out of bed, of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207July 1, 2020 6:05 PM

he looks cute. hair is too long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208July 1, 2020 10:41 PM

R208... who wouldn't (man or woman) want to ride on that lap and hold on to that sexy thick head of hair as they do so!...

by Anonymousreply 209July 1, 2020 11:34 PM

What about John Isner's tweet about "coronabros." That went well, John. Also, he is very much against BLM protests. We always knew he was a trumpster....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 2, 2020 10:22 AM

I doubt that he has a PR team, but they might be in heaven with such a client...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 2, 2020 10:23 AM

Berrittini needs to work on those skinny legs...he would be perfect

by Anonymousreply 212July 2, 2020 11:56 AM

Fucking Isner. "Coronabros", what an idiot. The only thing more tiresome than his servebot game are his uninformed right wing talking points.

Where is Martina Hingis when you need her to throw a DVD player at someone's head? Maybe Capriati can assault him in a parking lot somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 213July 2, 2020 12:32 PM

I think Isner and Capriati probably have the exact same opinions.

by Anonymousreply 214July 2, 2020 1:05 PM

Brain damage from religion is more damaging than brain damage by drugs. But to be fair, she started out particularly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 215July 2, 2020 1:20 PM

But she outdid herself when Trump “won” the EC;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216July 2, 2020 1:22 PM

Jennifer never was very bright

by Anonymousreply 217July 2, 2020 1:46 PM

I couldn't stand Jenny from the block, though I felt sorry for her with that upbringing and all the pressure she faced. I was just reading the other day about her achievements though and was quite impressed at how much she accomplished at such a young age. People can talk about Gauff and even Hingis for their achievements in their youth (16 years old), but it was crazy that Capriati was knocking out top 10 players left and right at 13 years old, immediately upon debut.

She reached the finals of her first two pro events before even having a ranking (lost to Sabatini and Navratilova in the finals) and when she had the 3 tournaments necessary for a ranking, she debuted at #23. Two weeks later she made her first grand slam semi final at RG, losing to eventual champ Seles who was only 16 herself - truly the era of young prodigies. Backed it up with a Wimbledon second-week run (also losing to eventual champ, Graf), a US Open second week run (again lost to Graf), her first title, qualified for the YEC, and ended her first year on the tour ranked #8. And she was still basically a child.

She later showed her true colours, and I never could warm to her game with her questionable technique and annoying habit of questioning every line call. She did give us some good quotes though: who can forget "Can someone shut that fucking baby up?" during the 2001 Miami Open final when Venus saved EIGHT match points to defeat her, pissing off the conservative crowd who cheered for Capriati and booed Venus, a 2-time champ.

by Anonymousreply 218July 2, 2020 2:02 PM

R218.. i remember that venus vs jennifer match, at the time and even now i think "how in the hell does someone lose 8 match points".. i mean it's almost theoretically impossible....

then again way back in 1971 16 year old chrissie saved 6 match points against Eisel at the open and would become THEE queen of comebacks in fact man or woman of her era and perhaps of all time...

by Anonymousreply 219July 2, 2020 2:09 PM

During a rain delay at the French, a reporter asked each of the players if they knew who Roland Garros was. The only one who knew was Venus. Capriati responded, "short little dead dude", thinking Napoleon.

BTW, ww1 war hero, aviator.

by Anonymousreply 220July 2, 2020 2:27 PM

Isner posted a photo a while back where he was meeting his hero...Hannity. Piece of garbage.

by Anonymousreply 221July 2, 2020 2:29 PM

R221! wow, truly garbage central!...

by Anonymousreply 222July 2, 2020 2:32 PM

I’m loving [italic]The Guardian[/italic]’s “The Greatest” series. Number three (linked below) is dedicated to Navratilova, with parts 1 and 2 on Evert and SWilliams, respectively.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223July 2, 2020 2:55 PM

Capriati and Isner are among the dullest dullards ever to blight the game, right down there with Court and Becker.

by Anonymousreply 224July 2, 2020 4:27 PM

One thing I've learned ...aside from Andrea Petkovic...Tennis players are not too bright

by Anonymousreply 225July 2, 2020 7:03 PM

I iz smart.

by Anonymousreply 226July 2, 2020 7:05 PM

I went to Harvard y'all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227July 2, 2020 7:06 PM

R225 Andrea is amazing and very funny. She reminded an anecdote of where she and Angelique Kerber were juniors and they went to Australia. A bird shitted on Angie and Andrea said to her that meaned she was going to be lucky and will win the Australian Open, Kerber get mad when she lost in the first round but Andrea was right in the long way

by Anonymousreply 228July 2, 2020 7:15 PM

The French Tennis Federation announced that it intends to have spectators for the French Open in September/October. The plan is to have 50 to 60 percent of the regular attendance (20,000 or so for early rounds, 10,000 for finals), Any spectators moving around the site of Roland Garros stadium will be obliged to wear a mask

by Anonymousreply 229July 2, 2020 8:05 PM

R228 is Angelique short for Mangelique?

by Anonymousreply 230July 2, 2020 8:41 PM

Don't be mean to Angie, he is amazing (when she gets in the mood).

It's a pity Andrea wasn't a bigger star she has the charisma that most wta players lack

by Anonymousreply 231July 2, 2020 8:43 PM

Equine Angie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232July 2, 2020 8:46 PM

I think Petko has a bright future after tennis..either as a writer or commentator. She speaks perfect English and lives in NY most of the time. She is a cool chick, her boyfriend is in a band, she hangs with a cool crowd.

by Anonymousreply 233July 2, 2020 10:47 PM

Graf didn't win Wimbledon or the USO in 1990, the year of Cap's debut.

by Anonymousreply 234July 2, 2020 10:57 PM

R234 I knew she didn't win the US Open, but thanks for the correction on Wimbledon. I see now that Graf beat Capriati but eventually fell to Zina Garrison in the SF.

by Anonymousreply 235July 3, 2020 2:35 AM

R224 Capriati was anything but boring or dull throughout her career - phenom>burnout>champion. She also has been a part of two or three of the best women's matches I've ever seen. Not to mention she's had a handful of battles vs Serena Williams that no other player has ever put up against Serena with quality play on both sides. Her politics may suck and she may be dull in person I don't know. I don't know her. But entertaining she always was.

by Anonymousreply 236July 3, 2020 2:42 AM

SO FAST??!!-------

Novak Djokovic, wife Jelena cleared of coronavirus after Adria Tour fiasco

Ten days after Novak Djokovic and his wife tested positive for the novel coronavirus, the two are now clear of it, his team announced on Thursday.

After hosting the exhibition Adria Tour in Serbia and Croatia that didn’t observe social distancing, the world’s top-ranked player received criticism for not taking the virus seriously enough. Others who took part in the event, like Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki, tested positive for the virus as well after video revealed a wild, tournament-organized party.

“Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena are negative for COVID-19. That was shown by the results of the PCR tests that both had in Belgrade,” his media team said in a statement. Djokovic and his wife, who didn’t have symptoms, remained in Serbia after the positive tests, staying in isolation. His coach, Goran Ivanisevic, also tested positive.

Djokovic, 33, was ripped by Nick Kyrgios over the tournament. Djokovic’s father Srdjan blamed Dimitrov for the coronavirus cluster at the tournament, accusing him of arriving sick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 3, 2020 3:54 AM

my hyperbaric chamber and special diet helped Jelena and I defeat coronavirus faster than anyone ever!

by Anonymousreply 238July 3, 2020 4:06 AM

Iz a hyperbaric like a bar that serves drinks fast to try to stop arrest by da police for serving underaged drinkers?

by Anonymousreply 239July 3, 2020 4:11 AM

R236, I'm not referring to her game, which was very entertaining. I'm referring to her complete lack of intellect. And she could be obnoxious, as way back when she smirkingly referred to Navratilova over and over again as "the lej", slurring it to sound like "lez". Funny if you're mentally deficient or a right-wing displaced Valley Girl.

by Anonymousreply 240July 3, 2020 5:03 AM

Andrea Jaeger's greedy father was the precursor for JenJen.

by Anonymousreply 241July 3, 2020 10:36 AM

Jen and Justine "No tits" Henin had an epic night match at the USO one of the years that Justine won. They were both in the zone and cracking the cover off the ball. The match went 3 close sets IIRC and in a classic cunt-off, Justine pulled through.

by Anonymousreply 242July 3, 2020 10:49 AM

R242 an outrageous choke by Capriati that she must still have nightmares about. She led 5-3 in the second set, 5-2 in the third, and was two points away from winning something like eleven times.

by Anonymousreply 243July 3, 2020 11:03 AM

R243 AND henin (allegedly) was cramping too! .. guess clueless jen couldn't think to just prolong points and drop shot as well? 2 ideas that seemingly never crept into her head for ANY match in her career...

jen served for the match TWICE in that classic with seles in 91'

jen lost for THE VERY FIRST TIME EVER to dementieva in the semis at the open in 2004 when she could have reached her very first final, losing the first set 6-0! and then losing in a tiebreaker in the 3rd set...

she had perhaps the worst luck of any female player at the open...

by Anonymousreply 244July 3, 2020 12:40 PM

R244 She didn't have bad luck. She made bad choices - we can all agree the wasn't the sharpest tool in the box.

by Anonymousreply 245July 3, 2020 12:43 PM

To be fair she was the very lucky recipient of a few chokes as well.

In the 2002 AO final, Martina Hingis choked a huge set and 4-0 lead, squandering FOUR match points and eventually handing Capriati an extra slam on a silver plate despite largely outplaying her.

Along with burnout, the fact that the game had become more powerful thanks to the Williams sisters and she began to be hit off the court more often, and the fact that she wanted to do cocaine and party by this point, this match almost certainly contributed to Hingis' first retirement.

by Anonymousreply 246July 3, 2020 3:24 PM

R246 true, Old Jen was lucky to bag her second slam as well. Clijsters was two points from winning that final I think four times.

by Anonymousreply 247July 3, 2020 4:49 PM

off topic, but as i type this i'm watching on the tennis channel (friday, july 3rd at 12 noon central time zone) another exhibition "tournament" with sam querrey vs frances tiafoe! damn tiafoe's ass is a work of art! incredible bubble butt defying gravity and jutting out! to see THAT wet after a shower and strutting around in the locker room! whew lordy be! lol!....i wonder if the locker rooms get more crowded whenever ole francis is in there after a match!...

by Anonymousreply 248July 3, 2020 5:10 PM

R248, but he’s black so it’s more commonplace. Which white guys have asses like Tiafoe’s?

by Anonymousreply 249July 3, 2020 5:34 PM

perhaps the best "white" asses are i think nadal (okay hispanic) , wawrinka and thiem, but neither of the jutting defying gravity bubble butt of tiafoe... it certainly must be in the "genes"?..

by Anonymousreply 250July 3, 2020 6:03 PM

I don't know how Tiafoe finds shorts big enough for his ass.

by Anonymousreply 251July 3, 2020 7:15 PM

yeah it's no contest. Tiafoe best male ass on tour.

by Anonymousreply 252July 3, 2020 7:24 PM

His ass is the 8th wonder of the tennis world.

I remember Venus (who loves to give us some hot dude content lol) did a YouTube episode about them playing mixed doubles at Wimbledon and it was mostly just low-angle shots of his ass in white shorts. May Jehovah bless her and her gay intern who filmed it.

Also this video below which has been one of the highlights of my quarantine so far:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253July 3, 2020 7:47 PM

As far as asses are concerned are you on:

Nadal team

Tiafoe team

Stan team or Wawrinka team

Thiem team

?

by Anonymousreply 254July 4, 2020 3:53 AM

Coric has an OK ass.

by Anonymousreply 255July 4, 2020 4:02 AM

Feliciano probably comes closest among the melatonin-challenged.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256July 4, 2020 5:12 AM

Melanin-challenged*

by Anonymousreply 257July 4, 2020 5:14 AM

Frances Tiafoe now has Covid.

by Anonymousreply 258July 4, 2020 1:03 PM

Too bad, R258. I hope he didn’t attend that Adria tournament.

by Anonymousreply 259July 4, 2020 3:05 PM

R259, I don't think he did, but, of course, Covid roams freely.

by Anonymousreply 260July 4, 2020 3:47 PM

Rafa!

by Anonymousreply 261July 4, 2020 5:23 PM

Apparently 23 of the 50 players in the WTA Palermo entry list are from countries that won't be allowed to enter EU. In Prague WTA event it is 11 out of 39 players.

by Anonymousreply 262July 4, 2020 6:47 PM

R262 But in this case it should be less their nationailty than the country they were living. If you are from the USA but you are living in Spain you should have no problem to go to the tournament

by Anonymousreply 263July 4, 2020 6:55 PM

Open Court has heard the playback of the WTA’s meeting Friday with players and Tour officials, a weekly occurrence that generally remains under tight wraps.

And while a final decision on Palermo, Prague and D.C. needs to be made this week (in the case of Palermo, this weekend), the recent announcement from the European Union about the restrictions to entry for citizens of several countries has thrown a monkey wrench into the proceedings that rivals the omnipresent and ever-changing safety concerns.

“The (EU) announcement, combined with the continued growth of the virus, is clearly very troubling and challenging for us. It confirms the volatility we’re dealing with, and have to accept,” WTA Tour CEO Steve Simon said on the call.

Simon said on the call that if you look at the first 50 players on the Palermo entry list, fully 23 of the 50 could not play the tournament under the current EU conditions. That’s 48 per cent of the total.

In the case of Prague, 11 of the top 28 players entered – or 39 per cent – can’t play as things stand, with the EU list scheduled to be updated every 14 days.

It puts the WTA into a position where it may have to back down from its original position, which was that if all the players didn’t have equal opportunity, they would cancel the season.

“I think we have to recognize that the situation is changing and have to be open to constantly considering new ways of approaching it. The environment is changing so much around us,” said Vanessa Webb, the Canadian former Tour player recently re-elected to serve another term as the WTA Board member representing top-100 players.

“What we have on our Tour, we have players who want to play, and we have players who don’t want to play. We have players who can play, we have players who can’t play everywhere and a few players who can’t play anywhere, who can’t get out of their countries.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264July 4, 2020 7:05 PM

So Tiafoe is the second player to test positive after admitting earlier that he didn't feel well but kept playing.

We're never going to get tennis back until players start taking it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 265July 4, 2020 7:20 PM

Who was the first, R265?

by Anonymousreply 266July 4, 2020 8:45 PM

R266 Dimitrov

by Anonymousreply 267July 4, 2020 8:48 PM

Opelka pulled out, claiming a knee injury.

by Anonymousreply 268July 5, 2020 1:34 AM

Kyle Edmund's coach has tested positive for Covid.

by Anonymousreply 269July 5, 2020 9:56 AM

Corentin Moutet called stupid to Tsitsipas' father.

Moutet has a big mouth, but he accused Tsitsipas' father to talk everytime he had to serve and if that's true, he is right, the guy is a jerk

by Anonymousreply 270July 5, 2020 8:06 PM

Have we had any word on how young Grigor is doing and whether he may need any additional support? Even for just a hug and a rub on the shoulder or someone to talk to. I feel so bad for him. He must feel so alone in isolation. And the bad thoughts that must be going through his head. I tell you if I knew where he was I'd risk the contact to just be of some guidance and service. I would be ok catching it cause I know I'd be doing it for the sport. And for the tour. If anyone should get any more information on his whereabouts I have lots of miles for flights. And if he's in Europe I have ways around our germaphobic ban. I'm still married though. And I have kids! Two of them.

by Anonymousreply 271July 5, 2020 8:16 PM

Nole.

by Anonymousreply 272July 6, 2020 4:18 AM

picturesque Domi in Kitzbühel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 6, 2020 11:15 PM

Watching the Mouratoglou exho in Paris and the Kitzbuehel "event" organized by Thiem I'm struck by how many visible safety measures were in place in Paris and how few seem to be in place in Kitzbuehel. In Paris the ballkids all had masks; in Kitzbuehel they don't. In Paris the chair ump was wearing a mask and gloves; not so in Kitzbuehel. In Paris most of the players' entourage on the sidelines were well distanced and most were wearing masks; in Kitzbuehel, the general public (what little there is of it) is maskless and bunched up into little groups. The overall effect is that there seems to be very little regard for safety at Thiem's event.

I think Thiem's a bit thick, and not just around the glutes.

by Anonymousreply 274July 7, 2020 2:58 PM

Well, well, well.....It looks like Federer and Tony Godsick got PPP money. That is pathetic. They are all grifters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275July 7, 2020 6:19 PM

Thiem lashed at Kyrgios for criticize the Adria Cup and Zverev. He said Zverev just had bad luck on being caught (the fact that he lied and didn't respect social distance is not a problem it seems). Since the pandemic started Thiem didn't stop to put his foot in his mouth.

By the way i just read that Ferrer will be Zverev's new coach, in my oppinion they are not a good match at all

by Anonymousreply 276July 7, 2020 8:58 PM

R275, I think you should have done a bit more research (like maybe read the very next tweet after the one you quoted) which clarifies that, though they qualified for the loan, they “concluded that the need for funds was greater elsewhere in the country and returned the loan to the government, one week later, in full.” Don’t let your hatred of everything Federer get in the way of the truth.

by Anonymousreply 277July 7, 2020 9:09 PM

Yes R275, sloppy and lazy at best

by Anonymousreply 278July 7, 2020 9:15 PM

If Ferrer get get Zverev to be a bit more tenacious then maybe so...but I agree not a good match at all. I can't stand Zverev

by Anonymousreply 279July 7, 2020 9:34 PM

R274 who is playing at those 2 events?

by Anonymousreply 280July 7, 2020 9:36 PM

No one was more tenacious than Ferru. Not even Rafa.

by Anonymousreply 281July 7, 2020 9:39 PM

R280, I don’t know the whole lineup, but I saw the Berrettini–Popyrin match at the Mouratoglou event (officially called The Ultimate Tennis Showdown if you want to look it up), and Struff–Rublev at the Kitzbuehel tourney. I assume Thiem is playing in his own event.

by Anonymousreply 282July 7, 2020 9:52 PM

[quote]I assume Thiem is playing in his own event

Thiem played against Casper Ruud today

I think the A. Zverev -Ferrer coaching situation is only a 2 week trial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283July 7, 2020 10:03 PM

[quote] By the way i just read that Ferrer will be Zverev's new coach, in my oppinion they are not a good match at all

A. Zverev?

by Anonymousreply 284July 7, 2020 10:03 PM

Domi only hangs out with dudes since he and Kiki broke up. Maybe she turned him gay.

by Anonymousreply 285July 7, 2020 10:08 PM

R276 it's safe to say Thiem is a conservative. Seems quite spoiled and out of touch with "commoner problems"

by Anonymousreply 286July 7, 2020 10:17 PM

then she'll be a DL Patron Saint

by Anonymousreply 287July 7, 2020 10:26 PM

Pretty sure he's an FPO voter.

by Anonymousreply 288July 7, 2020 11:01 PM

yes, they returned the money but the way it works is, when they got approved for the loan, other biz (who need the money more) were rejected. They should have never applied in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 289July 7, 2020 11:07 PM

[quote]Pretty sure he's an FPO voter

with Sebastian Kurz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290July 7, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote]yes, they returned the money but the way it works is, when they got approved for the loan, other biz (who need the money more) were rejected.

Not really. As of July 1, there was still $130 BILLION left in the PPP fund.

by Anonymousreply 291July 7, 2020 11:26 PM

What a bummer. Here I was thinking Thiem was a raging fucking homo

by Anonymousreply 292July 7, 2020 11:27 PM

Nope, just a raging fucking douche--no wonder that he and Flopos get along.

by Anonymousreply 293July 8, 2020 12:02 AM

Give it up, r289. You’re starting to sound whiny. The money went to the next in line, in all likelihood.

by Anonymousreply 294July 8, 2020 6:47 AM

R286 He is a rich kid from a rich country, i don't know if he is socially conservative but you can bet he is fiscally conservative for sure (most tennis players are).

And of course Kyrgios had something to say about Thiem, but he find a quite subtle way to call him (and the whole group) idiot without saying it, and for once he is totally right.

Thiem is one of the players who is coming worse of this situation, he had a nice guy fame but nothing he did in this period worked in his favour

by Anonymousreply 295July 8, 2020 10:11 AM

I used to follow Thiem on Insta but he’s too damn boring

by Anonymousreply 296July 8, 2020 10:26 AM

R296 I don't care him being boring, but his behaviour during the last months is dissapointing. Of course it's not his fault because probably his nice guy image was just that, what he wanted to project.

At least Kiki is quite honest about being a bitch

by Anonymousreply 297July 8, 2020 10:40 AM

Zverev quitted of the exhibition tournament he was going to play so there won't be a match against Kyrgios (which it would be very interesting for several reasons)

by Anonymousreply 298July 8, 2020 1:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!