Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Canada's Drag Race

Let's discuss the girls, eh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567October 11, 2022 11:24 PM

The cast is pretty decent. I like Jimbo.

The judging panel is atrocious. Brooke Lynn is no RuPaul, and the critiques were just nasty and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2020 9:11 PM

I agree, R1. The panelists are humorless.

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2020 9:14 PM

Somehow, they look colder!

by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2020 9:16 PM

As a western Canadian I feel obligated to root for the 2 BC queens. Damn regionalism. šŸ˜¬

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2020 9:17 PM

I was glad to see the judges being harsh, regular Drag Race judging has become way too soft and lazy.

Jimbo seems like a true Tammy Brown-level weirdo. Hoping he goes far.

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2020 11:34 PM

i love jimbo and boa. i thought the judges reeked.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2020 11:40 PM

I live Jimbo (absolutely Tammy Brown), Lemon, Boa and Scarlett bobo so far.

it's kind of uncanny how every contestant makes me think of a rpdr contestant. one looks like Yvie Oddly, one like Mayhem etc

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2020 12:17 AM

The critiques were pretty harsh, but I prefer a judge like Stacey Mackenzie to some idiot like Ross Matthews.

Also, what's with the lighting, why does everyone look yellow?

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2020 2:19 AM

Oh and Elisha Cuthbert was surprisingly not bad as a judge! I was pleasantly surprised with her.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2020 2:20 AM

r5, if you want to see real judging, watch Drag Race Thailand. Both seasons are way better than the pap we have here, contestants and judges. It's a shame that they didn't get picked up for season 3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2020 2:59 AM

Colder? Even the PA was wearing a coat...guess the studio was a bit chilly...

I love JBC but...looks like he's been eating well and that turtleneck jacket combo was doing him no favor when they first entered the workroom!

I'll keep watching but some of these contestants seem like shrill knockoffs of RPDR

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2020 11:16 AM

Who is the handsome guy in OPā€™s pic?

Wait

Is that a female in drag?

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2020 12:06 PM

OMFG Jimbo. His entrance was hands down the best short of Laganja - "Now I am going to spin in a circle." And his eleganza look was so well done. I think he is the Jinx of the season, underestimated. - the queen with the attitude about BOA doing better than her...I would have smacked the shit out of her.

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2020 12:17 PM

Yes, I think he may turn out to be more Jinkx than Tammie. At least I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2020 12:23 PM

Iā€™m tired of queens thinking that ā€œliving in New York for an unspecified amount of timeā€ is a replacement for a personality.

For someone who went to Alvin Ailey on a full scholarship, Lemonā€™s lip sync was completely unimpressive.

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2020 1:10 PM

Something about Jimbo really creeps me out But yeah, at least he's interesting to watch. I agree that its an interesting cast of queens. So far, Lemon and the French-speaking one are my favs. I didn't notice the judges being mean, but I did think it was weird that they let the blonde guest judge woman do the catwalk intro/announcing bits that Rupaul would normally do. Brooklyn has a quiet/cold demeanor so they should have cast judges that come across differently to balance it out. Also the pit crew guys were generic hot dancer types, when they could have played up the Canadian cliche of hot bearded lumberjack type & other Canadian cliches. Missed a trick there. Maybe out gay Canadian actor Luke Macfarlane would have a turn as guest judge? A boy can dream :P

And I absolutely agree with r10 Drag Race Thailand had the best judging - the judges put REAL effort into their looks, some brilliantly witty & bitchy comments from them. Absolutely blast to watch compared to the snoozefest that the main Dragrace is becoming.

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2020 1:12 PM

I tried to watch Drag Race Thailand but the sound of Thai being spoken felt like having spikes jammed into my bleeding ear canal and I had to give up.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2020 1:59 PM

Arisa Cox from Big Brother Canada would have made a great judge.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2020 1:59 PM

Agree that Elisha Cuthbert acting like Ru and doing the announcements was weird, but my theory is Ru was SUPPOSED to guest on the first one and do those parts, but cancelled at the last minute so they scrambled.

Any idea why Ru is not involved with this?

That all said, agree that the judges are humorless. Humor has to underline all critiques and interactions - that's as much part of drag culture as make up.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2020 2:03 PM

Are Canadians, in general, circumsized (The way Americans are)?

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2020 2:04 PM

r19 Maybe Rupaul is too busy/scheduling issues, or maybe just didn't want to do it. She's getting on in years, gotta slow down at some point

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2020 2:07 PM

Jimbo reminds me of that Clown in AHS Freakshow.

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2020 2:25 PM

Well this is definitely more fun and interesting than the current All-Stars. Right now most of the queens are a bit of blur to me, except the creepy clown one who I kinda love. She had me literally LOLing during the photo shoot challenge.

The judges are charming but I found their critiques too vague and a bit try-hard. Not sure there's a lot of wit on this panel but we'll see.

JBC is fine as hell no matter how many Timbits he's had.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2020 2:43 PM

LMAO, R17. Iā€™m tired of people trying to legitimize that show as canon. Itā€™s not going to happen. No one wants to read Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 24July 5, 2020 2:47 PM

I kind of like the idea of the guest judge doing the runway introductions. Brooke Lynn Hytes hasnā€™t earned that right and she really couldnā€™t deliver the Ru lines she was already given.

by Anonymousreply 25July 5, 2020 2:48 PM

Brook Lynn still reminds me of Scott Thompson of Kids in the hall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 5, 2020 2:57 PM

Is it airing in the US?

by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2020 3:02 PM

On the Wow Presents Plus app, R27.

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2020 3:30 PM

R20. No. And neither are Americans as much as they were.

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2020 8:01 PM

I knew that hefty one with the obnoxious oversized bull ring was going to be annoying when she 'came out' as a "ingenious two spirit". All she had to offer were stale catchphrases from past seasons of Drag Race. Embarrassing, empty headed dullard.

by Anonymousreply 30July 5, 2020 8:56 PM

Hon, the fact that you apparently can't handle subtitles is embarassing and not a thing you should admit r24.

by Anonymousreply 31July 5, 2020 9:01 PM

meh.

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2020 9:54 PM

I loved the first episode, it was refreshing compared to the tired US Drag Race. Jimbo's first look was scary, and I'm not even scared of clowns. Was he wearing black contacts or are his eyes just a pitch black abyss? The judges were catty and excellent.

by Anonymousreply 33July 5, 2020 10:03 PM

R20 Up until the late 1980s, the circumcision rate in Canada was roughly around 65%. During the 1990s, the rate began to rapidly. As of 2103, only 30% of newborn males in Canada are circumcised compared to about 60% in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 6, 2020 3:36 AM

So, just watched the first episode today. I love the Queens, there is an enthusiasm that I think recent seasons of Drag Race have lacked, not to mention better editing. That being said, the judging is HORRIBLE. If the series is picked up for a second season, they need to redo the panel.

R19 Ru does the video messages and commentary all season, and allegedly does appear in the finale. Michelle Visage is also a guest host this season. The rumor is that basically Ru is just collecting a the money for the international versions (minus drag race UK) to allow them to use his name. He is also not appearing in Drag Race Australia.

by Anonymousreply 35July 6, 2020 3:43 AM

[quote]the judging is HORRIBLE. If the series is picked up for a second season, they need to redo the panel.

Why don't they hire someone with a real connection to this world, like Nico Tortorella?

by Anonymousreply 36July 6, 2020 10:38 AM

Even Canada hates Nico.

by Anonymousreply 37July 6, 2020 10:41 AM

Honestly, they need a comedian. The perfect judging panel brings star power (Ru), comedy (Carson/Ross) and precision/no bullshit (Michelle) with a good, light rapport between them.

by Anonymousreply 38July 6, 2020 1:01 PM

THe three judges seemed packaged and forced. Hopefully, they'll relax into it as the show progresses.

by Anonymousreply 39July 6, 2020 1:31 PM

R38 You're right, they're all pretty humourless. I can't think of a gay Canadian comedian who'd be right for the judging panel though. There's Gavin Crawford, but he's in the clutches of the CBC.

by Anonymousreply 40July 6, 2020 2:27 PM

Did I mention Nico Tortorella?

by Anonymousreply 41July 6, 2020 2:39 PM

OOh Drag Race Oz should be fun- Aussies love to take the piss out of people, including themselves. I've been watching, "I Like to Watch with The Vivienne and Baga Chipz, and they're hilarious:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 6, 2020 4:17 PM

R38 Yeah they need some one funny and people with personalities. Stacey has some potential but Brooklyn and Jeffrey are dead weight. The issue is, Canada's entertainment industry is so small and because we lack a star system, most of the first rate talent ultimately moved to the US. So we have such a small pool of talent and an even smaller pool of queer talent. Anyone know what Dan Levy is doing? He'd be great as the host.

by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2020 5:02 PM

Are there any people that are HUGE in Canada that the US doesn't really know about/follow? It's so bonkers to me that Canada is the population of NYC x 4 yet its got more land than the US.

by Anonymousreply 44July 6, 2020 6:10 PM

Cause all lot of Canadian land is uninhabitable tundra right? That's why almost all of the population lives near the border.

by Anonymousreply 45July 6, 2020 6:28 PM

Please god let Karen from Finance be on RPDR OZ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 6, 2020 6:51 PM

[quote] Are Canadians, in general, circumsized (The way Americans are)?

The French ones aren't.

by Anonymousreply 47July 6, 2020 7:12 PM

[Quote] they're all pretty humorless.

BINGO!

by Anonymousreply 48July 6, 2020 7:43 PM

R47 That's a bit of a myth. I am French Canadian and live in Montreal. Circumcision was the norm here due to the influence of the church until the mid to late 1980s. After 1990, the rates dropped drastically and since the 2000s, very few hospitals in Quebec even allow them unless it's for religious purposes. I would say more than half of men over the age of 35 in Quebec are cut. In fact, the gossip is Justin and his brothers were cut.

by Anonymousreply 49July 7, 2020 3:53 AM

R49 +1 for French Canadian guys - hung like bulls, fuck like animals and kiss like they love you.

by Anonymousreply 50July 7, 2020 12:48 PM

R19 The rumor is that Ru did not want to pass the torch to Brooklyn because he didnā€™t like the idea of one of his contestants hosting their own show, so they came up with the three co-host.

Still think it is odd that the guest judge seems to get so much screentime.

by Anonymousreply 51July 7, 2020 1:00 PM

I was very disappointed that Rupaul did Whiteface at the judging table.

by Anonymousreply 52July 7, 2020 1:17 PM

R49 and R50 I went to Concordia and lives in Montreal for 5 years. I loved the city thought it was way too fucking cold in the winter. The men there are ridiculously hot. And R50 yeah, they are usually well endowed, great in bed, and also have great asses. They won the genetic lottery.

by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2020 2:16 PM

R44 Closest thing might be tv personalities (examples would be Don Cherry, Rick Campanelli and Ben Mulroney). They're not really huge, but they are recognizable.

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2020 10:56 PM

Jimbo is hawt hawt hawt! How likely is that heā€™s into doughy Latinos?

by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2020 11:24 PM

The right person went home. Surprisingly, she was very gracious about it.

by Anonymousreply 56July 10, 2020 3:30 AM

The challenge was lacklustre, but I have to give it to them for doing Heritage Minutes. I loved the idea, even if the execution wasn't great.

LOVE the Stars on 54 version of "If You Could Read My Mind." It was *always* on MuchMusic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 10, 2020 3:41 AM

the judging panel in ep2 - so bland. And that guest judge, z list actor. No! Rupaul must be so petty to not let Brooklyn have the catwalk moment and main announcing that she does. it's just odd without it. I hope the aussie Drag Race doesnt do it like the Canadian version.

by Anonymousreply 58July 10, 2020 5:23 AM

jimbo is great!

by Anonymousreply 59July 10, 2020 5:40 AM

The girl who stayed has absolutely nothing to offer and I think we all know how that happened. Kyne at least brought drama and did a better job in the lip sync.

by Anonymousreply 60July 10, 2020 12:37 PM

Good lord those skits were awful.

As a Z-list gay Canadian actor, I have never been more angry at my agent.

by Anonymousreply 61July 10, 2020 3:00 PM

R59=Jimbo

by Anonymousreply 62July 10, 2020 3:28 PM

Jimbo is definitely a stand out from the cast. If Jimbo can do the challenges well then I think she can win. But maybe I'm over rating her. I just find her drag interesting. I like when queens don't always try to look fishy which to me gets boring.

by Anonymousreply 63July 10, 2020 3:31 PM

The guest host is typecast as a fae- what is he, 5" tall?

I think Jimbo is like Jujubee in the aspect that it's fun, not dangerously serious about it, and let us in on the game with him. I'm sure at one point they're going to ask him to do a pretty glam look, like Alaska or Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 64July 10, 2020 3:33 PM

Jimbo is rotted but in a good way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 10, 2020 3:42 PM

r61 that fae actor guest judge, he isn't even the lead actor on that crappy cancelled show, Shadowhuners. He isn't even a part of the gay pairing thats on it. He's a guest star that's barely on it, barely has any lines. Surely Canada can do better >.>

by Anonymousreply 66July 10, 2020 4:33 PM

Really, R60? I thought they would keep Kyne for the drama but there's no way she won that lip sync. She knew it too when she tried to calm down Tynomi during her panic attack ("I'm about to go home. This is my moment OK").

Speaking of, that's 2 for 2 so far with panic attacks on the runway. While it's marginally more tolerable than the outrageous or lame runway excuses we regularly see on the US show, I've had it - officially! No more of that for the rest of the season, please and thank you.

by Anonymousreply 67July 10, 2020 4:45 PM

WHO WAS KICKED OUT?

by Anonymousreply 68July 10, 2020 4:46 PM

R67 Canadian queens are more sensitive. Look how they walk the runway... too shy and humble to own it. Itā€™s not naturally in our nature

by Anonymousreply 69July 10, 2020 4:56 PM

Jimbo does "Barbie Girl"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 10, 2020 5:01 PM

R67, I wouldnā€™t say she ā€œwonā€ the lip sync but she did better than Tynomi, who was doing a half assed version of the same lip sync weā€™ve seen for over ten years. But Kyne is the wrong color in ā€œperson of colorā€ so Tynomi is free to keep coming back and only having to accomplish 20% of what the other girls are expected to.

by Anonymousreply 71July 10, 2020 5:22 PM

r71 I think Tynomi did better at the lip-sync she hit all the nuances of the song. Kyne was boring.

by Anonymousreply 72July 10, 2020 5:29 PM

R71 get a grip!! Tynomi will go next week. Kyne would have went next week if she stayed also. Maybe Tynomi just relies on voguing but her performance was certainly more varied and eye catching.

by Anonymousreply 73July 10, 2020 5:29 PM

Where can it be viewed in the US?

by Anonymousreply 74July 10, 2020 5:30 PM

You are wasting your breath. That poster has already decided that the only reason Tynomi was kept is because she is one of those blacks and nothing will convince them otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 75July 10, 2020 5:31 PM

Legally r74? You are supposed to watch it on Wow's website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 10, 2020 5:31 PM

Tynomi sounds like a multiple sclerosis treatment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 10, 2020 5:33 PM

Itā€™s also yet another variation on Tyra Banks and Naomi Campbell

by Anonymousreply 78July 10, 2020 6:25 PM

I just watch it {not on WOW} and it was dull but thank god that exhausting fugly no talent is gone!!!

by Anonymousreply 79July 10, 2020 6:29 PM

At least Kyne brought some drama. There is not one inch of Tynomi that isnā€™t a tired cliche we havenā€™t seen a thousand times before by people with actual talent.

by Anonymousreply 80July 10, 2020 6:41 PM

As far as the drama not sure any drag race can top "I was shot three times and drove myself to the er."

by Anonymousreply 81July 10, 2020 6:43 PM

[Quote] At least Kyne brought some drama.

Sure but it wasn't good drama.

by Anonymousreply 82July 10, 2020 6:43 PM

Kyne is a social media queen aka a look queen. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 83July 10, 2020 6:45 PM

Kyneā€™s not going to go far or win the show but she at least brought something. Iā€™d rather one more week of her delusional arrogance than nothingness from Nyra Campbanks.

by Anonymousreply 84July 10, 2020 6:48 PM

[Quote] but she at least brought something.

Sure

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 10, 2020 7:11 PM

[R70] Jimboā€™s Barbie Girl is fantastic! Thanks for posting.

Just watched both episodes and I canā€™t understand why they have the guest host (nobody has heard of) do all the important announcing. Completely strips Brooke of authority, the look on her face while the guest is announcing the runway is cringe. Itā€™s to humiliate her I guess? Disjointed continuity.

by Anonymousreply 86July 10, 2020 7:49 PM

Ask your doctor if Tynomi is right for you.

by Anonymousreply 87July 10, 2020 7:53 PM

Jimbo's video is hilarious. He would make a terrific Vampira or any Tim Burton femme fetale.

by Anonymousreply 88July 10, 2020 7:57 PM

Boring episode. Or maybe I've just got Drag Race fatigue?

by Anonymousreply 89July 10, 2020 8:17 PM

I am so enjoying Canada drag race. so much.

by Anonymousreply 90July 10, 2020 9:08 PM

[quote]Jimbo's video is hilarious. He would make a terrific Vampira or any Tim Burton femme fetale.

He's sort of like Nina West as a [italic]Dragula[/italic] contestant.

by Anonymousreply 91July 10, 2020 9:11 PM

I adore Jimbo. Sheā€™s the one to beat.

by Anonymousreply 92July 10, 2020 10:59 PM

the last ep was boring but maybe not to Canadians? I didn't get the whole lesson thing and Kyne was a terrible performer. If you can't do a death drop or splits at least fucking emote the song.

by Anonymousreply 93July 11, 2020 2:51 AM

[Quote] I didn't get the whole lesson thing and Kyne was a terrible performer.

Agree. Kyne throws a fit like a child and that's considered show "drama?" Cunt, please.

by Anonymousreply 94July 11, 2020 2:56 AM

THE LIBRARY IS OPEN!

US: Girrrrl, you apply your makeup with a spackle knife to try to cover that ugly-ass mess of a face, but itā€™s the ugliness of your mommaā€™s rotten soul you inherited from her that makes your face so ugly, so give it up, gurrrrrrl!

Canada: Girl, you...donā€™t push in your chair when you leave the dinner table! You are very discourteous! *awkward snap*

I havenā€™t seen the Canadian version. Am I close?

by Anonymousreply 95July 11, 2020 12:35 PM

R91, donā€™t compare Jimbo to season eleven filler.

by Anonymousreply 96July 11, 2020 12:40 PM

r96 Nina was hardly a filler. Granted she lost a lip-sync to a dancing sack of potatoes but Nina is probably the one who came out of that season with the most star power after Vanjie

by Anonymousreply 97July 11, 2020 1:50 PM

So Jimbo can look more "draggy":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 11, 2020 3:11 PM

And surprisingly handsome with facial hair:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 11, 2020 3:12 PM

I don't see how that's any of your business!

by Anonymousreply 100July 11, 2020 3:58 PM

I like Nina West. No, she's not a look queen, and she's semi-cancelled for sucking up to Meghan McCain, but I think she's a good entertainer.

by Anonymousreply 101July 11, 2020 4:04 PM

LOL at R95. Canadians think the hockey gays on [italic]Letterkenny[/italic] are what is meant by "reading."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 11, 2020 4:11 PM

I watched the video at R102 and have absolutely no fucking idea what was happening or what was said

by Anonymousreply 103July 11, 2020 4:34 PM

R103 People keep trying to make fetch happen!

That video keeps popping up on this site. I think it is supposed to be some kind of parody showing gay guys intimidating and bullying straight guys at a gym in some sort of role reversal, but...it doesnā€™t work.

by Anonymousreply 104July 11, 2020 4:39 PM

R104 this is most Canadian TV. Awkward, stilted writing and acting, bad pacing and thick Canadian accents. We donā€™t like it either

by Anonymousreply 105July 12, 2020 2:11 PM

Had no idea who that guest host was (had to IMDB.com him) but damn he was cute!

(Yes I live in the very non-ethnic midwest)

by Anonymousreply 106July 12, 2020 8:25 PM

Jimbo is one of the most entertaining queens in any version of Drag Race. Overall, awkward as expected. Still better than the UK version and way better then the current dogshit US all-stars.

by Anonymousreply 107July 12, 2020 8:32 PM

Jimbo is indeed a Canadian Tammie Brown, but one that will actually follow direction and listen to the judges.

Can't wait to see him start winning challenges. He probably came within a wig hair of winning last week's challenge.

by Anonymousreply 108July 13, 2020 1:19 AM

Oh god, I love Jimbo's Cameos:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 13, 2020 10:09 PM

JImbo is not Tammy Brown - Tammy was just fucking crazy - Jimbo knows what he is doing - He is more Jinx than Tammy.

by Anonymousreply 110July 13, 2020 10:56 PM

Truth r110.

People forget that Tammy sucked at every challenge, Jimbo is not the same at all.

by Anonymousreply 111July 13, 2020 11:02 PM

I also enjoy these queens and the early seasons feel of the show, but CHRIST, those judges.

I found that Jeffrey dude kind of charming in doses on the US version, but he comes across as one of those gay guys who femmes it up for no reason... awkwardly attaching ā€œhoneyā€ and ā€œyassā€ to sentences when it doesnā€™t seem to come naturally to him.

Brooklyn remains charisma-free.

There wasnā€™t some gay from Much or a leftover from MTV Canada to host?

by Anonymousreply 112July 13, 2020 11:37 PM

Ru wasn't interested in hosting this version, but she wanted to keep the door open so she could host future versions if it was a success, like DRUK was. It would look bad for Ru to boot someone as host in season two, so they went with this "guest star as host" method, which would allow Ru to slip into the host seat with no friction in season 2 if it's a hit.

Plus, I think her ego is to big to allow Brooklyn to be the first Ru girl to take over a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 113July 13, 2020 11:54 PM

R113 I bet Ru has some skeletons in his closet preventing him from even entering Canada. Maybe he has a DUI we don't know about!!!

by Anonymousreply 114July 14, 2020 4:44 AM

Okay, the second episode was a bit boring and the acting in those skits was terrible! The Queen's are fine overall, but the judging is the real problem with the show. They have zero presence and this week, Jeffrey was simply doing a [bad] RuPaul impression.

R113 Ru is also not doing the Australian version of the show, so I don't think it's a question of Ru keeping the door open rather more to do with time and money. UK Drag Race was being done for the BBC and the UK is a larger market. The Canadian version is being produced for a streaming service and is not airing on TV here. I live in Toronto and there was rumour that Ru appears in the finale, however, I've also heard it's Michelle who crowns the winner so, we'll see.

by Anonymousreply 115July 14, 2020 6:24 AM

R115 Ru did the UK version because he and Michelle had been pushing the idea for years. The Canadian and Australian versions are basically just money grabs for Ru. When the Canadian version was announced last fall, it was always intended that the show wouldn't have a set host rather the three judges would be a combined set of hosts. What I did forget was that Traci Melchor was originally going play the part of "Squirrel Friend." She was supposed to be the one who went into the workroom and talked to the queens as the prepped for the challenge but she was later dropped from the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 14, 2020 2:04 PM

Huh, r116, I had to Google who Traci was, and she's tweeting the heck out of the show.

by Anonymousreply 117July 14, 2020 2:14 PM

Did they shoot the Australian version yet? Who is hosting it?

by Anonymousreply 118July 15, 2020 12:40 PM

R118 Dame Edna

by Anonymousreply 119July 15, 2020 12:43 PM

R118 No, it doesn't appear that the Australian version has been filmed yet. Drag Race Canada was announced a few months before the Australian version and was filmed in late 2019. The Canadian version actually had sent out casting calls months before the project was actually formally announced. I suspect the Australian version was supposed to film earlier this year but has been delayed due to COVID-19.

There is no formal news on who would be hosting the Austrlian version. Everyone keeps saying Courtney Act, but Courtney and Ru are not on speaking terms. The rumor is that Bianca Del Rio was approached by ITV Australia which is producing the show. Before Bianca cancelled her 2020 schedule due to the pandemic, she had a noticed lull in her schedule in May which many believed was when Australian Drag Race was originally supposed to film.

by Anonymousreply 120July 16, 2020 1:53 AM

I would love to see Bianca host the show. Maybe they learned their lesson with Brook Lynn Hytes and knew they needed a queen with some talent and star appeal.

by Anonymousreply 121July 16, 2020 1:00 PM

Brooke Lynn is talented she is just kind of dull as a host.

by Anonymousreply 122July 16, 2020 2:25 PM

R113. I doubt Ru was ever considered to host Drag Race Canada. Canada has strict filming laws; Canada gives large tax breaks for filming but only if the show only hires Canadians.

Michelle Visage, and to a lesser extent Ru, love the UK so it makes sense they would want to host.

by Anonymousreply 123July 16, 2020 3:37 PM

R123 Foreign productions in Canada get tax breaks if a majority of the individuals involved are Canadian, but there is an allowance for foreign talent to be involved. To meet these requirements most American productions in Canada will hire an all Canadian crew and then mix the onscreen talent. For example, Star Trek Discovery's crew is all Canadian, as are its guest and secondary performs, but its main cast are all American. This is the model most American TV shows and films follow in Canada.

That begin said, Drag Race Canada is technically a full Canadian production. CTV (which owns Crave) bought the rights from Wow Presents. Full Canadian productions are HIGHLY regulated and Canada only use Canadian talent unless they are co-produced by foreign companies. Canadian shows being co-funded by foreign production companies is becoming the new normal in the cash strapped Canadian entertainment industry. For example, Schitt's Creek was originally partly funded buy ITV studios international which allowed the producers to hire Chris Elliott who is an American actor. Now I don't know if Wow is funding any of Drag Race Canada, but I'm assuming they are since Michelle Visage is making an appearance and Ru does all the voice over stuff.

I agree that Ru probably never considered hosting Canada or any of the other international versions they are planning mostly due to scheduling. It's probably more of a "take the money and run" kind of situation. As you said, UK was different it's more 'prestigious' than Canada or Australia. Ru is 60, and I don't think he wants to be travelling the world doing drag race year round. I do believe the international versions are trials to see if the American version would work without Ru if he ever decided to retire, or he was forced to leave the show for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 124July 16, 2020 5:35 PM

I was just logging into CraveTV online (for Canadians) and I want to know who allowed Brooke Lynn to pose in this look for this promo shot.

I can't imagine how difficult it was for those queens to be judged by Brooke Lynn in whatever the fuck that getup is. Yikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 16, 2020 9:55 PM

It appears she's wearing the little dragon from Mulan on her head.

by Anonymousreply 126July 17, 2020 12:44 AM

Good episode this week but I didn't enjoy seeing D. Cox's vagina belly button on display.

by Anonymousreply 127July 17, 2020 2:47 AM

Just watched the first two episodes tonight. The Queens are great and it's awesome to see Canadian drag talent since drag is somewhat muted in Canada. Toronto's drag culture has dried up significantly in the last 10 years likely to do with growing commercialism and gentrification of the the gay village.

The real problem is with the judges, none of whom have any real personality or presence. ALso neither judge has a defined role. On the American version you've got Michelle who is the critical one, Ross is the funny one, Carson is the fashion queen with good comedic timing, and Ru is the decider. On the Canadian version, that is painfully missing. Jeffrey just does a bad Ru impersonation, Brooklyn is blatantly reading off a teleprompter, and the black woman I can't even remember her name. If there is a second season, they need to change the panel. I think Jackie Cox (the other Canadian Queen) actually has more personality than Brooke.

by Anonymousreply 128July 17, 2020 3:35 AM

I really like Prianyka, she's a cutie pie and fun like Jujubee.

I agree with you r128. All these judges have a personality of a potato. Jackie would be 100% improvement.

by Anonymousreply 129July 17, 2020 3:52 AM

Is the lady an albino?

by Anonymousreply 130July 17, 2020 4:00 AM

Did Anastarzia even want to be there? A low-energy lip sync, a mirror message consisting of one dot, and, as Brooke pointed out, she never smiled on the runway.

Tynomi stays on for another week to annoy R60 / R71, but they can't blame BLM this time, since who she sent home this week was another black Caribbean queen.

Well-earned win for Priyanka. I agree with R129, she seems to be the one there that's having the most fun with this experience, and no matter what iteration of Drag Race, it's refreshing to see.

Ilona is beginning to grate.

by Anonymousreply 131July 17, 2020 5:40 AM

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for Jimbo's eventual elimination. She's a fun queen. I'm rooting for her.

by Anonymousreply 132July 17, 2020 5:53 AM

Lemon is A LOT. Like a whole LOT. I would probably strangle her.

by Anonymousreply 133July 17, 2020 5:18 PM

I have to say compared to the polish we see on American drag race this performance was pretty rough, there were a lot them struggling with the choreo in the final performance.

[quote]The real problem is with the judges, none of whom have any real personality or presence. ALso neither judge has a defined role. On the American version you've got Michelle who is the critical one, Ross is the funny one, Carson is the fashion queen with good comedic timing, and Ru is the decider. On the Canadian version, that is painfully missing. Jeffrey just does a bad Ru impersonation, Brooklyn is blatantly reading off a teleprompter, and the black woman I can't even remember her name. If there is a second season, they need to change the panel. I think Jackie Cox (the other Canadian Queen) actually has more personality than Brooke.

Well said. They definitely need to work out the judges panel. And I wish Jeffrey would stop with his really awkward Ru impression. Just do you.

by Anonymousreply 134July 18, 2020 1:03 AM

I'm hoping Jimbo will be in the top 3 with Priyanka, but I'm worried that BoBo is trying to be in the same clown box as Jimbo.

by Anonymousreply 135July 18, 2020 2:42 AM

I'm at Drag Race Overload.I've HAD IT! Officially!

by Anonymousreply 136July 18, 2020 3:03 AM

Jimbo had an unusual edit on the last episode. Not sure what they will do with him. If they want him to go far they will keep him until snatch game. If they want to eliminate him early they wonā€™t let him get that far, because he will OWN it.

I thought last week was one of the best drag race episodes in a while. The raps were really good. If Lemon hadnā€™t won last week, she would have been in top this week.

But it is clear chero is NOT their strongest suit.

by Anonymousreply 137July 18, 2020 3:18 AM

I guess I'm the only one that likes the guest hosting every week. I also enjoy that the judges critiques have been fair.

You would think Tynomi, naming herself after two supermodels, would have better runways.

by Anonymousreply 138July 18, 2020 8:37 AM

Gotta say the best thing so far was the mini challenge Newscaster challenge, though I wished they didn't cut back and firth so much. Some of them were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 139July 18, 2020 1:40 PM

Overall, Canada Drag Race is messier and less polished than the American one, and that's not really a bad thing. It reminds me more of the earlier season of Drag Race when the production values were lower and the judging panel wasn't the best (it really took American drag race three seasons before it found the right balance).

This week's episode was better in terms of judging. I think Brooklyn is finding her way and Stacey, although low key, I think has potential. To me, Jeffrey just needs to go. He doesn't seem genuine and he's just impersonating Ru ... and badly at that. They desperately need someone who is actually funny on the panel. The need the permanent host (aka Ru), the super critical one (aka Michelle), the funny one (aka Ross), and the fashion expert (aka Carson).

by Anonymousreply 140July 19, 2020 2:03 AM

I think Chapman is just trying too hard. His responses seem forced. Stacey adds nothing. Her comments seem out of the blue and I am too distracted by her 4-inch gums. Brooklyn is fine but since she is not doing the Ru role it seems disjointed. The whole panel does not work because it needs to be anchored by someone. They should use Brooklyn as Ru - Keep Chapman as the Michelle Visage and add two comedians like Ross and Carson.

by Anonymousreply 141July 19, 2020 3:22 PM

Chapman is totally kweening it up...and what the fuck were those pajama bottoms he wore into the workroom....he's been eating well it seems...I think he's hot and could be fun, but seems really affected on this show

by Anonymousreply 142July 19, 2020 3:42 PM

Ugh r141, I saw that weird smile that Stacey had- it was all gums. They should have Lilly Singh or Catherine O'Hara be a guest or permanent judge-they're both Canadian and funny.

by Anonymousreply 143July 19, 2020 3:58 PM

R143 Catherine O'Hara would be great, as would Andrea Martin as she became a Canadian citizen officially in 2017.

Chapman is totally one of those good looking queens who think he's fun to be around but no one in the room can actually stand him. He think he's the life of the party, but everyone just rolls their eyes. I get why Brooklyn is on the show, he's really the only Canadian drag talent that is known across Canada (which is sad because Canada has some queen who are way funnier and more talented who would be a better fit if it weren't for the relative obscurity), and he's getting better.

I'm giving Stacey a chance because I don't think we've really seen enough of her yet.

But yeah, if there is a second season, they need funny judges with a personality. This is Canadian ffs, comedic talent is what we do best!

by Anonymousreply 144July 20, 2020 3:25 AM

[quote]Gotta say the best thing so far was the mini challenge Newscaster challenge, though I wished they didn't cut back and firth so much. Some of them were hilarious.

I enjoyed it too. It reminded me of one of the challenges from Season 1 of the US show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 20, 2020 5:43 AM

LOCA I SAY HIV

by Anonymousreply 146July 20, 2020 6:01 PM

What is with the stupid episode titles? They are being written for Americans to think that stereotypes of Canadian accents are funny? Seem stupid for a Canadian show to be using titles targeted at Americans. I guess they aren't expecting or trying to get Canadian viewers so they are catering to what they think Americans will find funny, even though few Canadians speak that way.

by Anonymousreply 147July 21, 2020 11:28 PM

Honey, its men in dresses r147. It's not that serious, the franchise has always been about going for the obvious jokes.

by Anonymousreply 148July 21, 2020 11:33 PM

It is just weird to go for jokes that Americans will think are funny...not Canadians when it is a Canadian show. Anyways, they know their audience and I guess the Americans are the ones watching and who will see Eh and Aboot and think it is funny and want to watch. I just think iti s odd they didn't try to make it appeal to a Canadian audience in any way

by Anonymousreply 149July 21, 2020 11:57 PM

I love Jimbo! She's really something else!

I find it interesting that as a US resident, I understood way more of the cultural references on the UK version.

I think the hosts are dismal. Really, truly just a horror show. I can't stand Stacey's voice, although I'm sure she's a nice lady.

by Anonymousreply 150July 22, 2020 12:44 AM

I know no one really pronounces it literally as aboot but I have heard several Canadians say "about" in their own special way. Also "sorry".

by Anonymousreply 151July 22, 2020 1:01 AM

[Quote]I find it interesting that as a US resident, I understood way more of the cultural references on the UK version

Most americans see more British TV/movies than they do Canadian TV/movies. I think the average American does know more about Britain than our northern neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 152July 22, 2020 1:12 AM

I'm surprised Scott Thompson isn't a judge, or even a guest judge.

by Anonymousreply 153July 22, 2020 3:07 AM

R153 It's probably because Brook Lynne, to the untrained eye, appears as though she herself could be a Scott Thompson character!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 22, 2020 3:13 AM

Why is Jeffrey such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 155July 24, 2020 3:18 AM

^She's unhappy about her weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 156July 24, 2020 3:23 AM

Jimbo is a weirdly attractive guy with BDF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 24, 2020 3:29 AM

I still love Priyanka- she gives good talking head. Jimbo needed a Marie Antoinette wig to sell his look. Illona I just want to punch in the face. What a winer.

by Anonymousreply 158July 24, 2020 3:59 AM

BLH had it right - Tynomi might be a good performer but she wasn't a good competitor.

Ilona.... good Christ, even Farrah Moan is probably saying "girl, enough with the fucking whining!" Is it a requirement to being an enby or what?

by Anonymousreply 159July 24, 2020 4:43 AM

R159 It's weird that Ilona would think she's going home, like... hello... that was Tynomi's THIRD TIME lip syncing... IN A ROW!

by Anonymousreply 160July 24, 2020 4:46 AM

One more thing, Stacey was quite good in this episode. She looked like she was having a lot of fun when she helped the girls with their runway walks, which was a pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 161July 24, 2020 5:21 AM

R158 Yes! A big Marie Antoinette wig would've made Jimbo's look 100x better.

Stacy did a great job coaching the runway walks this week, but she seemed way too stiff when they were doing the Pit Crew matching underwear game. Overall the judging is getting better, although I was shocked BOA wasn't in the bottom 2 for that diaper mess.

Ilona got annoying with her whining and crying but I do think she turned it out in the lipsync.

by Anonymousreply 162July 24, 2020 7:19 AM

I donā€™t want to be a broken record here, but the judging is shockingly bad. I like Priyanka, but that look she came out in was dreadful and I was shocked that they were praising her for it. Ilona and Nyra didnā€™t look amazing, but they sure looked better than her.

by Anonymousreply 163July 24, 2020 11:22 AM

Ru and Michele must be happy, this iteration without them is proving to the fans that they are actually pretty good at what they do.

by Anonymousreply 164July 24, 2020 3:09 PM

r164, they had what...10 years to perfect it? Thailand's Drag Race had no problems with their judging- I think they're better than the U.S. judges- a combo of cunty, humorous, tough love, respect and somehow it all works.

by Anonymousreply 165July 24, 2020 4:13 PM

I actually thought Jimbo was kind of a dick in this episode. He is a costumer, he should have helped the two. His makeup was terrible too.

by Anonymousreply 166July 24, 2020 5:16 PM

Yeah, I'm sensing a 'my way or the highway' attitude with Jimbo, which I'm hoping doesn't bite her in the ass somewhere down the line.

And I agree that Priyanka got a VERY generous critique this week. Even her posture indicated that she knew her outfit sucked. It's pretty clear the Powers That Be don't want her to be an early boot. Same with BOA.

by Anonymousreply 167July 24, 2020 6:23 PM

r165 Yes!! the judging was so much better on Dragrace Thailand. Funnier. more effort in the costumes and often more constructive judging comments

by Anonymousreply 168July 25, 2020 12:44 AM

This is ALL I could think about when Illona was talking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 25, 2020 12:48 AM

Jeffrey and Brooklyn seemed to have pissed off all the woke fans, they're asking to have Jeffrey fired from the show lol. I actually like this judging panels' critiques, even if they are harsh sometimes. It's much better than having to listen to Ru giving out his predictable, ear-fed, one-note commentary.

by Anonymousreply 170July 25, 2020 1:30 AM

The challenge was to complete a cohesive collection. The metal team was the only one not to do that. You could not see a connection between any of the three. They should have been in the bottom. I feel Priyanka got favorable critiques since she has what I call 'skinny-bias'- because she's thin anything she puts on is high fashion, when it's just a piece of fabric around her waist. If Boa and Priya swapped clothes the judges would have read them both for being trashy. If they were going to be judged individually then this should not have been a team challenge to begin with.

I disagree with the critique that a runway is "costumey". It's drag. It's art. And who said that art can't be costume? I feel like it's a way of gate-keeping campy queens from expressing their drag. Even the whole "I would like to see you in something glamorous." is an extension of that.

I will give Jimbo the benefit of doubt and assume it was less "Screw you! I'm doing my own thing." and more someone who is used to working by themselves. I do think her lack of makeup and hair skills will be her Achilles' heel. Ilona was a pain. I think she was mad at Jimbo for derailing their original idea and didn't vent well.

I'm beginning to become the 'Aiden Zane is trans' troll because I earnestly thought Boa was a woman/bio queen.

by Anonymousreply 171July 25, 2020 2:16 AM

R170, itā€™s not the ā€œwoke fansā€ who are pissed about Brooke Lynn and JBC. Woke fans wonā€™t acknowledge ANY character flaw in a person of color, unless theyā€™re RuPaul for some reason. Itā€™s the general consensus among the viewership that they are miscast and terrible at their jobs. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with a bitchy critique if itā€™s funny. Brooke Lynn and JBC are just delivering Billy B/Jeffrey Moran toxic cringe.

The third judge has good critiques but zero star appeal. Sheā€™s uninteresting to watch and itā€™s challenging to hear her when she talks, so I donā€™t know why they keep giving her long announcements and important exposition to deliver.

And the ranking in this last episode was embarrassing. Priyanka getting raves for that shitty simple dress and umbrella skeleton? Come on.

World of Wonder needs to do a new talent search in the meanwhile. Donā€™t get tied up trying to find local Canadians. Pick an established queen from wherever who can deliver a line and has a single likable bone in her body.

by Anonymousreply 172July 25, 2020 11:58 AM

WHY ARE THEY KEEPING THESE QUEENS SO COLD? Do the not have heat in the studio. I am so confused by this. They always seem like they are shivering and wrap in blankets. Why?

by Anonymousreply 173July 25, 2020 12:05 PM

They shot in an empty warehouse in Toronto in the fall. Thereā€™s been a rumor that the heat was shut off at one point. It looks like this is the episode where it happened.

by Anonymousreply 174July 25, 2020 12:25 PM

R172 I think, R124 it's a Canadian production probably HAS to have a certain amount of Canadian "talent" so using judges from elsewhere probably isn't realistic. But really... they HAVE TO be able to find better judges than what we have. There's not some old MuchMusic VJ hanging around who needs a job?

Brooke Lynn isn't the worst queen ever, but... I just can't imagine being judged by her if I were another queen.

by Anonymousreply 175July 25, 2020 1:01 PM

so yeah, maybe the plastic team all looked alike because THEY LOOKED LIKE SHIT ...nothing fashion about it....and to say Baga was top? ooof... guess when none really turn it out you have to pick the one you dislike the least, but the fuck was that?

I do love Priyanka

by Anonymousreply 176July 25, 2020 2:27 PM

I just realized watching the finale of the US RPDR that Jimbo is more about the art of drag than actually being a drag queen. Very much like Disasterina, who is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 177July 25, 2020 4:21 PM

R172 I actually felt Billy B was one of the best judges they ever had and he actually understood make up.

Of course from the get go Mathu should have been one of the judges.

by Anonymousreply 178July 25, 2020 6:00 PM

Again, we get a mention of contestants being "in their head". You were too much in your head. Apparently this stupid saying is required to be included in every episode of US and Canadian Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 179July 25, 2020 6:05 PM

r178, Poor Mathu is in no condition to do anything. He's been out of it for at least 3 years, the last 2 years possibly in hospice.

by Anonymousreply 180July 25, 2020 6:19 PM

R174 Drag Race Canada was actually filmed in Hamilton not Toronto. I know this because I know someone who is a member of the pit crew. A growing number of Canadian shows are filming at hole in the wall studios in Hamilton because they can no longer afford the Toronto studios which are being rented out by American networks and studios for big budget shows for way more money than Canadian productions could ever afford.

So, Stacey and Brooklyn are growing on me a bit. I like Stacey's interaction with the Queen's this week. I think if she can loosen up a bit more, she'll be good. Jeffrey is the weakest link when it comes to judging. I also agree that the judges (mainly Brooklyn and Jeffrey) are too harsh. Michelle is harsh but you can tell she loves these gurls, I don't get that with these judges. If there is a season two, the should drop Jeffrey, get a permanent host, and a comedic judge.

by Anonymousreply 181July 26, 2020 2:54 AM

I paused this weekā€™s episode and asked my boyfriend, ā€œDoes this show make you feel weird? Is it somehow creepy to you?ā€

He said, ā€œYup,ā€ and we both decided it falls into some strange Drag Race uncanny valley. The mechanics are all there, but it all feels so... off.

by Anonymousreply 182July 26, 2020 4:12 AM

r182, I think it's because the US plays into the reality game, but Canadians are too "nice", they don't want to embrace the C for cunt. So it's Pleasantville RPDR.

by Anonymousreply 183July 26, 2020 4:31 AM

R183 Oh, Jeffrey is bringing all the C to the table for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 184July 26, 2020 1:05 PM

Jeffery used to be so hot. He is too queeny now.

by Anonymousreply 185July 26, 2020 1:48 PM

R182 I agree, not so much about the creepy thing, but yeah the show feels 'off.' All the ingredients are there, but it's just not turning out properly. I don't know why, but whenever Canadian production companies try to adapt an American reality show for Canadian TV, it rarely works. I don't know if it's because Canadian culture is more "reserved and polite" than American culture, but the Canadian versions just never have the same edge. It doesn't help that the editing is a bit meh, the judging is terrible, and the challenges have been pretty forgettable.

R185 Earlier in the thread someone summed up Jeffrey perfectly: he seems like one of the gay guys who gotten buy solely on his looks. He thinks he funny and the star of the show but no one in the room actually likes him. To me he's the weakest of three weak judges.

by Anonymousreply 186July 26, 2020 4:29 PM

Thereā€™s something about the production value, too. The harsh shadows and cheaper cameras that make it feel like a 90s PBS Kids show. I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 187July 26, 2020 7:19 PM

Well they're not doing the RuPaul lighting and filtering that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 188July 26, 2020 10:41 PM

R187 It looks pretty typical of a Canadian production, which might be jarring to Americans.

by Anonymousreply 189July 26, 2020 10:43 PM

Canadian productions tend to be more low rent r187. That aspect doesn't bother me.

The first couple seasons of American drag race were also a very low budget production.

by Anonymousreply 190July 26, 2020 10:44 PM

Am I the only one who doesnā€™t find JBC that good looking? I mean, he has nice features. But where is this great beauty everyone is talking about?

by Anonymousreply 191July 26, 2020 10:46 PM

R187 as R190 stated, Canadian productions tend to be low rent. I worked in the "Canadian" television and film industry for 15 years (I say "Canadian" industry because the vast majority of my work was with American productions shot in Canada e.g. Supernatural, the Stargate shows etc.) I can count on one hand the number of actual Canadian productions I worked on: specifically Metropia, Degrassi: The Next Generation, and Da Vinci's Inquest.

R191 I don't find JBC attractive. I actually wonder how he got onto the American Drag Race in the first place. I mean I only know him from Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 192July 26, 2020 11:18 PM

Has no one mentioned the chubby guy they brought out as the frist two "oh pit crew"? He just did not fit they were all ripped dudes and he was. soft and squishy.

by Anonymousreply 193July 26, 2020 11:20 PM

R193, they're applauding it on drag twitter as if it's some kind of victory for fatties lol. I felt a little bad for the guy, looked like he didn't want to be there.

by Anonymousreply 194July 27, 2020 2:30 AM

The chubby pit crew guy is this guy. As expected, he is all about body positivity and that fat is sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195July 27, 2020 2:35 AM

I thought it was hilarious that the guys were ooohhing over him. And they had him all oiled up like a basted Thanksgiving turkey.

by Anonymousreply 196July 27, 2020 1:42 PM

R193 Having a fat pit crew member defeats the whole purpose of having a pit crew. Whats next? An ugly one?

by Anonymousreply 197July 27, 2020 1:52 PM

R193 Having a fat pit crew member defeats the whole purpose of having a pit crew. Whats next? An ugly one?

by Anonymousreply 198July 27, 2020 1:52 PM

R195, there's something very Sam Smith about him which is off putting.

by Anonymousreply 199July 27, 2020 2:43 PM

An interesting article on him and his Coptic roots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 27, 2020 3:08 PM

r198 - they have already had ugly ones.

by Anonymousreply 201July 27, 2020 3:34 PM

I watched the latest episode about re-purposing. Maybe that's why all the outfits looked so busted. But the makeup was pretty bad, too. Do none of them have a corset - or was it because they had to make those runway looks out of garbage?

Some of the guys are cute - but Jimbo ain't one of them. He looks old as Granny Moses - he reminds me of those guys in drag in those 50's and 60's photos.

And Stacey's big gummy smile gives me nightmares. I may watch next week for Snatch Game just to see the guys in their own drag.....one more time won't kill me, I don't think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 27, 2020 4:20 PM

I thought Tynomi won the lip sync. Ilona started off strong but seemed to run out of steam.

by Anonymousreply 203July 27, 2020 4:50 PM

I am actually glad they put a chubby man in the pit crew (something that would not have happened if Ru was hosting this) given the fact that the LGBTQ+ is riddled with body shaming and body acceptance issues. It's one of the few positive things Drag Race Canada has done so far.

by Anonymousreply 204July 27, 2020 6:32 PM

R200, I appreciate his honesty about the homophobia he's had to deal with from Arabs and the Middle East community instead of deflecting away like Miss Jackie Cox.

by Anonymousreply 205July 27, 2020 7:23 PM

Off topic, but Toronto even an interesting city? It seems dull and plain to me.

Montreal, on the other hand, is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 206July 27, 2020 7:31 PM

They have a great graffiti alley that is adjacent to a street with great little boutiques and a neighborhood that reminds me of Chicago. Also food is very expensive. That's all I have for you.

by Anonymousreply 207July 27, 2020 8:47 PM

R206 Montreal, IMO, is the best city in Canada in terms of beauty, things to do, arts and culture, gay scene, food scene, public transit etc. It's basically European-lite. Toronto is a great city but more subdued than a comparable American city. Historically, Toronto was a living man's city until the 1970s when most major companies left Montreal due to the rising sovereignty movement and set up shop in Toronto. This is why I think Toronto somewhat lack the bright lights and buzz of a major metropolis like New York. Toronto's diversity is amazing however, and I do think Toronto has one of the best food scenes in Canada. The tone of the city is changing as well, and not for the better. It's become so expensive and the core is slowly becoming a playground for the wealthy and foreign investors. My generation (the 35-40) years old, were really the last generation who could move to Toronto and be okay on their own. Now, young people have been totally priced out of the market and can only live here with multiple room mates.

by Anonymousreply 208July 28, 2020 12:32 AM

If you go to a club for a drag show often there will be gogo boys. The pit crew is the television stand in for gogo boys.

I don't want fat gogo boys, don't want fat pit crew. It's not meant to celebrate all body sizes, the queens themselves are for that. Its just there as sexy fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 209July 28, 2020 12:54 AM

Iā€™d like to see DL Fave Connor Jessup as a guest host.

by Anonymousreply 210July 29, 2020 1:05 AM

R210 Connor would make a great judge.

by Anonymousreply 211July 29, 2020 7:26 AM

Jeffrey's 'judging' is being dragged (no pun intended) on Twitter. My guess if there is a second season, he won't be invited back.

by Anonymousreply 212July 29, 2020 7:10 PM

Why do Canadians copy everything Americans do? Are their own shows that lame?

by Anonymousreply 213July 29, 2020 7:31 PM

Why do Americans copy everything that British and Japanese do?

by Anonymousreply 214July 29, 2020 7:37 PM

The right person won the evening and the Lip Sync. I liked Jeffery this week.

by Anonymousreply 215July 31, 2020 4:46 AM

American drag race has become stale enough. Why do we need the less exciting version?

by Anonymousreply 216July 31, 2020 4:50 AM

TREND ALERT!

Bad Drag Names

by Anonymousreply 217July 31, 2020 4:53 AM

R216 This version is the freshest thing to happen to the franchise in a long time.

Tonightā€™s Snatch Game was amazing and that lip sync was better than anything seen on All Stars 5.

by Anonymousreply 218July 31, 2020 5:24 AM

Jimbo finally wins a challenge! Well-deserved too.

Starting to see 'it' with Lemon, finally. THAT is how you deliver in Snatch Game when portraying a character that you know not everyone is going to recognize.

Five episodes in and BOA narrowly avoids the bottom two in three of them. But Kiara had to go (as someone in one of the AS5 threads astutely stated, in reference to Blair St. Clair, "being skinny is not a talent"), and I don't think BOA had the goods to outshine her in a lip sync, since Kiara wasn't going to leave without putting up a fight.

by Anonymousreply 219July 31, 2020 5:38 AM

I don't know who Mary Walsh is, but she looks disturbingly like Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 220July 31, 2020 6:47 AM

Martha Walsh is a Canadian comedy legend -- the kind that stayed in Canada and didn't sell out to the US. Between Codco and 22 Minutes, she's practically an institution.

by Anonymousreply 221July 31, 2020 6:49 AM

Well, she definitely came across as naturally funny and definitely better than Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 222July 31, 2020 7:07 AM

Priyanka really made you believe she drove all night to see her man.

And Iā€™m a little in love with Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 223July 31, 2020 3:47 PM

Kiara's LS was so messy, just flopping around like a fish gasping for air. But at least she put effort into it.

by Anonymousreply 224July 31, 2020 4:03 PM

Jimbo NAILED Snatch Game. That could easily have won on a US season.

by Anonymousreply 225July 31, 2020 4:28 PM

Lemon's snatch game made me a little crazy, it was so busy. She was making those moves non-stop and it was frankly annoying after a while. So glad Jimbo won.

by Anonymousreply 226July 31, 2020 8:07 PM

The girl Lemon did is pretty much exactly like that, so it may be annoying but it was... accurate.

The competition looks like it's Rita Baga's to lose, at this point. I'm not mad, I like her and she's not from Toronto!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 1, 2020 12:46 AM

Itā€™s interesting that despite the large amount of Toronto queens, the two front runners are from Quebec (Rita) and B.C. (Jimbo).

by Anonymousreply 228August 1, 2020 12:52 AM

Similar to how season 12 had like 5 queens from New York but none of them made it to the finale.

by Anonymousreply 229August 1, 2020 12:56 AM

Iā€™m not counting out Priyanka yet. Love her and so glad the gurl can lip sync! Rita Bagaā€™s Edith Piaf was hysterical. But Iā€™m a Jimbo-stan all the way.

by Anonymousreply 230August 1, 2020 1:01 AM

R219 Yes, I'm starting to see "it" with Lemon, too. She was pretty off-putting in the first few episodes, but I'm coming around to her. I was pleasantly surprised with her Snatch Game performance, because I imagined it going sideways like Crystal Methyd's Poppy from S12, but she committed to it (as Mary Walsh said) and it was good because of that.

R230 Oh yeah, I still think that Priyanka has a good chance.

One of the queens I don't "get" is Scarlet Bobo. She's technically pretty good, but I find her so annoyingly off putting!!!

by Anonymousreply 231August 1, 2020 1:06 AM

Jimbo ā¤ļø

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 1, 2020 1:06 AM

Miss Vanjie commentary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 1, 2020 1:11 AM

Glad Priyanka pulled it off...as R224 said, Kiara flopped around like a fish....

Anyone else annoyed by the amount of orange/yellow light they use on that set? Every one looks jaundiced from the jawline down and it isn't flattering...there are some bad lighting directors on this show. It seems to highlight/mix badly with the queens foundations

by Anonymousreply 234August 1, 2020 1:51 AM

Brooklyn looked like shit today. Hated that hair; it made her jaw look long.

Jeffery needs to stop with the eye make up. Not sure why he thinks that queeny look is goijg to win anyone over. I donā€™t hate him as a judge like some people, however.

Lemon is talented but I hope she doesnā€™t win. She is from Canada but she is a US Queen. Someone who actually represents Canada needs to win.

I was team Jimbo but now I am moving to team Rita.

by Anonymousreply 235August 1, 2020 2:22 AM

I love that Jimbo and Rita are bonding.

by Anonymousreply 236August 1, 2020 2:25 AM

R235 The same can be said for Ilona too, actually. She's an LA queen now. Or is it balanced because she's two spirit?

by Anonymousreply 237August 1, 2020 3:02 AM

I was waiting for Joan to ask Edith for some pills to throw at Jojo's face to calm her down at the end, "Look! Candy! Let me get it in your mouth!"

I think Jimbo and Rita are the oldest, so are bonding because of that.

by Anonymousreply 238August 1, 2020 3:06 AM

Much better Snatch Game than we've seen on the main show for the last couple seasons. Jimbo, Rita, and Lemon all could've won and I wouldn't have been upset, although I was happy to see Jimbo get the win since I thought he was the best in both the challenge and runway.

by Anonymousreply 239August 1, 2020 3:57 AM

I thought Rita was overrated. It was very Patricia Quinn. Not bad, but not great. Safe. I also donā€™t think sheā€™s the frontrunner. Iā€™m getting the feeling that the top three will be Jimbo, Priyanka, and Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 240August 1, 2020 4:05 AM

Yes both Lemon and Ilona are really American queens of Canadian origin, their drag careers were in America.

by Anonymousreply 241August 1, 2020 4:35 AM

R235 I've said it before and I'll say it again, it must feel so ridiculous to be judged by Brooke Lynn. She's not an AWFUL drag queen, per se.. but she looks like a fucking clown 85% of the time. That green wig she wore last week on the panel? Her entire look this week? Mama, this is garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242August 1, 2020 5:01 AM

Seriously... imagine what Michelle would have said about this look on the runway!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243August 1, 2020 5:05 AM

If they had even an inkling that Canadas Drag Race was going to be a thing, they should have had Brooklyn double win with Yvie.

I do not dislike Brooklyn as a judge and honestly who else would they have chosen if not for her - but I think it is a bit odd to have her judging a season that I do not think she would even win.

by Anonymousreply 244August 1, 2020 10:19 AM

Priyanka knows what producers want. Notice that whenever there is a "moment" or an announcement of some sort, they cut to her for a reaction. She's smart enough to give the appropriate facial expression they want (example, when Jeffrey announced in Episode #2 that the little pocket gay Jade something that no one has ever heard of would be the judge, Priyanka gave a "OMG! I can't believe it!" expression which the producers cut to, because it indicate Jade was famous; whenever the judges announce any sort of "but" or statement that would indicate a "twist" Priyanka always gives a "But what's going to happen! OMG! type expression).

by Anonymousreply 245August 1, 2020 10:51 AM

Priyanka does give good TV...I wonder what's not being shown though...one of the "reads" was that Priyanka was DTF and another said he always talks about sex...these are the clips I want to see!

Busy little bussy!

by Anonymousreply 246August 1, 2020 11:42 AM

Priyanka was a children's TV host. Being on camera, and being animated on camera, is nothing new for her.

by Anonymousreply 247August 1, 2020 12:44 PM

I didnā€™t notice until this week Priyankaā€™s fucked up ears.

by Anonymousreply 248August 1, 2020 2:34 PM

After reading the comments here, I expected an outstanding Snatch Game. I thought even the best of them were just okay.

Old Bob's Joan Rivers didn't actually say anything funny in the moment - just catch phrases and throwing around the ashes. Rita's impersonation of Edith Piaf was just stupid.....falling asleep and talking about death - I thought she said something in her prep talk that she loved the "young" and "vital" Edith.....and we get a .... coffin.

Lemon was good as Jo Jo - she was hyper active, but so is Jo Jo.

The rest.....ah.....the rest.....

I wish the show was more exciting or the guys were trying harder or more talented......

by Anonymousreply 249August 1, 2020 4:09 PM

What's wrong with Priyanka's ears?

by Anonymousreply 250August 1, 2020 6:41 PM

After watching Bootleg Opinions (I'm not proud), the runway is worse than I remembered it. The queens were almost too LITERAL with the theme? Crystal Methyd looks PAINED to give negative critiques.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251August 1, 2020 10:50 PM

Who ever this Mary Walsh is, make her a full time judge next season. She was perfect for the show.

Stacey and Brooklyn were way better this week. Jeffrey is still the weakest link and needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 252August 3, 2020 1:06 AM

I can't tell if the editors are doing a bad job or the judges are doing a bad job, but I'm confused about Kiara being sent home. If we're supposed to believe that the LSFYL determines who goes, make sure the edit supports that idea.

Should have been a double shante anyway.

Francesca Fiore is really growing on me, but it's still odd to choose a reserved person to host a TV show. She was pretty tepid in Snatch Game. Ru might make it look easy but he works hard to keep Snatch Game flowing. He also tries to make the contestants look good by feeding them straight lines and laughing at the weakest of jokes.

For all my complaints, I'm enjoying this show.

by Anonymousreply 253August 3, 2020 9:58 AM

No, R253. It shouldnā€™t have been a double shantay. Kiara has zero presence and an even smaller range. She barely made a blip on the first episode and was unlikely to go for. Donā€™t waste the double save on her.

The lip sync is the deciding vote, but I think it was a draw between her and Priyanka. Especially since all her moves were the same recycled garbage weā€™ve seen hundreds of times now.

by Anonymousreply 254August 3, 2020 12:30 PM

Overall, it was Kiara's time to go. But I found her lip sync a hair better than Priya's.

by Anonymousreply 255August 3, 2020 12:42 PM

I have to agree with R253 and R255 Kiara's lip sync was better than Priyanka's and if the lip sync is supposed to be the determining factor of who stays and who goes, Kiara should have stayed. If you watch the judges, they were watching Kiara most of the time. This makes me think either we missed some of Priyanka's moves because of bad editing, or the decision to send Kiara home was already predetermined. If they are taking whole records into account and not just the lip sync, they need to state that.

by Anonymousreply 256August 3, 2020 2:20 PM

Kiara's lip sync just looked desperate and uncoordinated.

by Anonymousreply 257August 3, 2020 2:47 PM

Yeah, I'm not buying that Kiara's lipsync was better, either.

by Anonymousreply 258August 3, 2020 2:48 PM

Agree r249.

The snatch game here was fine, but nothing especially noteworthy. Drag Race: UK and All Stars 5 had better recent Snatch Games.

And Priyanka definitely won the lip sync.

by Anonymousreply 259August 3, 2020 4:13 PM

It should have been a double sashay. That lip synch was one of the messiest I've seen in the entire history of the show. I was entertained as hell, but it was a mess from the word go. Priyanka's non-stop braying to the camera needs to stop. She's playing the I'm going to angle for as much screen time as I can game a bit too much. I cringe every time she's on screen now.

by Anonymousreply 260August 4, 2020 8:13 PM

What, over that blue pink pastel whiny bitch with the snaggle teeth?

by Anonymousreply 261August 4, 2020 9:18 PM

Kiara was better in the LSFYL but not good enough to stay over Priyanka. An utterly fantastic lipsync should save you, however if it is just a bit better than someone who competitively is much better then it shouldnā€™t and doesnā€™t matter.

Would anyone really want to see Kiara on TV more than Priyanka. She showed what she had to show.

by Anonymousreply 262August 5, 2020 11:05 AM

I still don't know what's wrong with Priyanka's ears, can someone explain?

by Anonymousreply 263August 5, 2020 1:58 PM

Finally got around to watching the snatch game episode last night. So, I think the judging is slowly improving. Stacey kind of won me over with her enthusiasm for the lip sync, and I think Brooklyn is loosening up a bit. I still think the judging is overly harsh. Jeffrey is still my least favourite. He is prissy and fake, and not in a fun way either.

Right now, Jimbo is my favourite for the crown.

by Anonymousreply 264August 5, 2020 4:01 PM

R263, thereā€™s some kind of burns or scarring on the bottom of her ears. Keep your eyes peeled. You wonā€™t be able to stop seeing after you notice it.

by Anonymousreply 265August 6, 2020 1:07 PM

R265 I didn't see anything weird going on with Priyanka's ears this episode and I kept looking. Please provide photographic evidence!

by Anonymousreply 266August 7, 2020 3:16 AM

Lemon in the bottom after a great performance? Rita in the top for being completely forgettable?

Lol, itā€™s like they gave three shitty YouTube queens RuPaulā€™s job.

by Anonymousreply 267August 7, 2020 12:36 PM

Oh BOA, you had ONE job for that lip sync. Now we have to hear more about 'SISSIES' this and 'SISSIES' that, which I'm already tired of after only one episode. Almost makes me yearn for the days of Rolaskatox.

Or maybe it was 'cissies' - Ilona did use the term 'cis women' when they were all talking about the scourge of bachelorette parties at gay bars. Curious to see the reactions of the Reddit (and DL) fraus and frau-loving "queers" about THAT discussion.

What a cliffhanger for next week's episode - I wonder who is the one that is going to get read for filth for their runway outfit? One of the top contenders (or Ilona, I hope)?

by Anonymousreply 268August 7, 2020 4:36 PM

I was glad that Rita won. She underplayed the other two and was the only one in any of the skits to make me laugh out loud. Was so hoping that Ilona was going home, but jeez, did Boa suck in the lipsync! Ilona is terrible at everything BUT lipsyncing. I was surpised that everyone threw Lemon under the bus. Guess they really don't like her. She's not as good as she thinks she is, and her make up skills are lacking, but she is in the top tier of the queens. BTW, I think BOA had great make-up skills, the best of everyone. And Jeffrey still gets on my last nerve.

by Anonymousreply 269August 7, 2020 8:58 PM

Okay: Drag Race Canada Producers in the odd chance your reading this...get rid of JBC if there is a second season. He's is sooooooo fake and pretentious. Stacey is getting better. She is kind of a much lower key Michelle. Brooklyn is still meh, but better than he was in the beginning. They need a judge with a lot of personality to counter Stacey and Brooklyn's more reserved personality.....oh and someone who can actually land the runway jokes.

Jimbo should have won again this week. He was the funniest and the best dressed on the runway.

Rita was okay...but both her outfit and acting were just meh.

I'm starting to wonder if they are trying to make the wins more even so there is less of a clear front runner.

by Anonymousreply 270August 8, 2020 1:44 AM

One minute they were talking about obnoxious, entitled straight women bringing their bachelorette groupies to gay bars and next minute Boa got raped and beaten by some random thug and that's somehow the queer communities fault??... What the hell did that have to do with anything that was being discussed? It was a completely separate issue and she totally derailed the conversation with that bomb.

by Anonymousreply 271August 8, 2020 2:41 AM

R271 I knew as soon as they let Boa tell "her story" that she'd be the going home.

by Anonymousreply 272August 8, 2020 2:45 AM

R271 The conversation was about the experience of feeling uncomfortable in a queer space as a drag queen. They were talking about bachelorette parties and Boa (and Ilona) brought up that aside from that, other queer men have also made them feel uncomfortable in their own spaces. Queer sexual assault is very real and she was right to bring it up.

by Anonymousreply 273August 8, 2020 2:52 AM

I just don't get the love for old Jim Bob - he is at best mediocre..... No one on the show displays much talent or skill in anything.

I like the way Rita looks out of drag....no so much in it.....

by Anonymousreply 274August 8, 2020 3:47 PM

Jimbo is creative but he always just looks like a dad in drag

by Anonymousreply 275August 8, 2020 3:49 PM

Blair St. Clair subtly went after Jeffrey on Twitter yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276August 8, 2020 4:10 PM

The amount of hate he's been getting I hope they do bring him back for a second season lol

by Anonymousreply 277August 8, 2020 4:40 PM

I'm rewatching old eps of RPDR, and Jeffery makes appearances as early as S9 (can't find earlier seasons)...he must have been playing the long game.

by Anonymousreply 278August 8, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote]Lemon in the bottom after a great performance?

This show takes the runway factor seriously, they have at least been consistent on that.

[quote]Ilona is terrible at everything BUT lipsyncing

She annoys the shit out of me, but we've seen her lip sync twice and I will admit she is pretty good at it.

It's interesting Drag Race Canada is the only spin off that has consistently had as strong of lip syncs as you see in the American version. In Thailand and the UK I remember thinking they were a bit lacking.

by Anonymousreply 279August 8, 2020 6:37 PM

I think Thailand's seem lacking because most of the songs were Thai, so we had no idea what the hell they were singing about, and a lot of songs seem very demure, so no stage histrionics for that. For the English songs, if they didn't know English, they had to approximate singing in English. With UK.... I don't remember any lips syncs.

I caught a few episodes of, "I Like To Watch" with The Vivienne and Baga Chipz, and they're charming and hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280August 8, 2020 8:41 PM

Kim Chi is also taking a swipe at JBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281August 8, 2020 10:14 PM

They saying he "bodyshamed" lona because he told her to put foundation on her bare ass! LOL

Well, he was right to say it. That ass was disgusting, I had to look away from the screen.

by Anonymousreply 282August 8, 2020 10:31 PM

I think JBC is bad at this job, but he wasn't "body shaming". He just told her to put some make up on the skin before showing it on the stage. Common sense.

by Anonymousreply 283August 8, 2020 10:48 PM

R283 I think the issue is that his comments sound so CATTY, compared to the critiques Ross and Carson give... for example. If I have to hear him say "entertainting" again... christ almighty. There's no humor to him.

by Anonymousreply 284August 8, 2020 11:14 PM

r282, really? Jesus these kids can't take any constructive criticism at all. That red pimply ass ruined any illusion of glamour.

by Anonymousreply 285August 8, 2020 11:46 PM

But is it constructive criticism to point out someone has a pimply ass? Or was Jeffrey just doing it to be a cunty bitch?

Ilona putting concealer on her ass wouldnā€™t have won her the challenge. He just wanted to say it.

by Anonymousreply 286August 8, 2020 11:55 PM

Binging this now on WOW Presents Plus. I love it all except for JBC, who is a fat cunt.

by Anonymousreply 287August 9, 2020 3:18 AM

I agree that JBC's comments weren't body shamming, but he is so fake and cunty that everything he says seems rude.

by Anonymousreply 288August 9, 2020 5:08 AM

Scarlett Bobo has become the queen I can't stand.

by Anonymousreply 289August 9, 2020 3:44 PM

R289 I also donā€™t like Scarlet Bobo for some reason. She is doing fine and probably should have won that challenge (I am not sure why Rita won) but something about her is off putting. Is it the name? The way he looks out of drag?

I love how cunty JBC is. The ass comment was hilarious! But Ilona clearly has some issues about her body. Why did she say, out of nowhere, that he wanted to be Lemon?

by Anonymousreply 290August 9, 2020 4:14 PM

Ilona can crow all day long about that non-binary crap, but itā€™s clear that deep down she knows sheā€™s an unattractive, fat gay man. The Lemon resentment makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 291August 9, 2020 4:47 PM

I like the rough spun quality of the queens (much like the earlier seasons of RPDR). Now, many the queens come prepared. I happened to come across this blog of a designer for many of the queens, and I had no idea how much outfits were, which makes me feel for queens like Heidi N Closet and Nina Bonina Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292August 9, 2020 7:22 PM

It's common for queens to spend about 10k preparing for a regular season and 20k+ preparing for All Stars.

by Anonymousreply 293August 9, 2020 7:30 PM

Completely on point

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294August 9, 2020 7:51 PM

Trixie is doing weekly summaries

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295August 9, 2020 7:52 PM

Lemon is so cute out of drag.

by Anonymousreply 296August 11, 2020 10:36 PM

She is prettier out of drag than in drag r296. Her make up skills still need some tweaking.

by Anonymousreply 297August 11, 2020 10:53 PM

I canā€™t help seeing Lemon as Andrew Rannelsā€™ cuter little brother. Even thou I am a Jimbo fan, I am rooting for Lemon to go far.

by Anonymousreply 298August 12, 2020 12:12 AM

Lemon could be a Blair St. Clair if she really tried.

by Anonymousreply 299August 12, 2020 1:26 AM

R299 Lemon - out of drag - is far hotter than boy Blair St. Clair.

by Anonymousreply 300August 12, 2020 2:34 AM

Agreed R300. More charming personality too imo.

by Anonymousreply 301August 12, 2020 2:50 AM

Lemon is cute although I agree with some of the queens that he seems disingenuous

by Anonymousreply 302August 12, 2020 4:56 AM

Lemon soured on me (haha) when he stated on the first episode he "conquered NY."

Bitch, no one has ever heard of you here.

by Anonymousreply 303August 12, 2020 12:07 PM

[quote]But is it constructive criticism to point out someone has a pimply ass?

An important existential question that ALL Americans will have to answer this November 3.

by Anonymousreply 304August 12, 2020 12:11 PM

[quote]He stated on the first episode he "conquered NY." Bitch, no one has ever heard of you here.

Brita is that you?

by Anonymousreply 305August 12, 2020 12:19 PM

I'm surprised Brita wasn't Biden's choice for VP.

by Anonymousreply 306August 12, 2020 5:39 PM

So was he!

by Anonymousreply 307August 12, 2020 5:44 PM

Trixie and Heidi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308August 13, 2020 4:38 PM

R306, her loyal subjects in NYC couldnā€™t bear to be without their queen for four years.

by Anonymousreply 309August 13, 2020 6:06 PM

Oh man, Scarlett was robbed! That runway look should have secured her the win. Lemon is a good improv performer, to be fair. Never would have expected that from her in the beginning of the season. I (wrongly) pegged her as a Farrah Moan type, more pretty than talented.

Finally, Priyanka got called out for her posture. It's been driving me crazy since the recycled materials design challenge!

Wanna still compare Jimbo to Jinkx rather than Tammie Brown? Jinkx never clapped back to the judges like Jimbo did tonight - but Tammie certainly did.

And Ilona finally sashays, but not before a big speech about non-binary and two-spirit people (of course).

by Anonymousreply 310August 14, 2020 3:45 AM

I love Heidi N Closet. Fuck COVID. That SWEET queen deserves to be a star as much as any other previous contestant and she's stuck in an empty apartment with crappy wifi. No tours, no appearances, no fashion glow up or RuGirl money honey. It's not fucking fair. She's so sweet and funny and fast. And don't forget her dancing and performance talent. She's my first ticket purchase when this all ends. Aquaria and Jaida have been doing outdoor shows on roller skates and I'm not into it. I need some Heidi on STAGE. I hate Trixie Matchdoll, but I watched the video for Heidi. Thanks R308. (And yes I mean hate)

by Anonymousreply 311August 14, 2020 3:53 AM

Lemonā€™s performance was better than Scarletā€™s, and her runway was super campy. Very disappointed with Priyankaā€™s performance and Jimboā€™s runway.

by Anonymousreply 312August 14, 2020 3:59 AM

I love ā¤ļø love šŸ’• Lemon

by Anonymousreply 313August 14, 2020 4:01 AM

I love Violet Chachki. She's fucking funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314August 14, 2020 5:46 AM

Jimbo going off on Ritaā€™d wig is a new favorite drag race moment for me.

I agree with the judges that it was an ugly look.

by Anonymousreply 315August 14, 2020 12:53 PM

I'm still not feeling Scarlett Bobo. She's not awful, but I'm just not seeing anything amazing. It irritates me when queens throw tantrums about being safe.

I have a hard time NOT liking Lemon, I don't want to, but I do. I'm still thinking this is Rita Baga's competition to lose, but I don't feel strongly about her.

Stacey is starting to loosen up, I like her. No comment about JBC.

by Anonymousreply 316August 14, 2020 1:16 PM

Rita's wig was awful, nothing competition glamor about it. Lemon is a less refined Gigi Goode- I would love to see Gigi or Blair paint her face.

by Anonymousreply 317August 14, 2020 2:52 PM

I just watched the latest episode and agree with the judges..... You could see Scarlett's undergarment through her dress....

Lemon and Rita are my favorites so far.

Jimbo was a mess......that runway look was terrible.

Some of these low-rent queens need some lessons in drag. Goodbye, Ilona - thank God. You will not be missed, either of you.

by Anonymousreply 318August 14, 2020 5:59 PM

Scarlett Bobo should have won last week over Rita; Lemon was correct to win this week.

Buy I get where Scarlett is coming from. If they wanted her to win a challenge, she would have won one already. Same with Jan; they just donā€™t have her pegged as a winner and as such she wonā€™t win. It must be hard to realize that half way through the competition.

by Anonymousreply 319August 15, 2020 1:07 AM

R319 No wonder why I can't stand Scarlet Bobo, she's the Canadian Jan! I didn't put two and two together!

by Anonymousreply 320August 15, 2020 1:36 AM

R182 Oh fuck off, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 321August 15, 2020 1:43 AM

Another vote for Scarlett Bobo as the queen as dislike the most. Can anyone say entitled and flying under the radar???

by Anonymousreply 322August 15, 2020 2:16 AM

Has anyone ever done it as well as Jaida Essence Hall? My lord that boy is fine. And funny. And a good actress. And can dance. B E A U T I F U L

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323August 15, 2020 4:47 PM

Not doing this to be a hall monitor (promise), but there IS an "All Seasons Tea" thread for people to discuss regular Drag Race seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324August 15, 2020 4:49 PM

I can't remember which of them said Michelle DuBarry is the oldest working drag queen in the world, but Darcelle (Portland) is a full year older than her and Bonnie Blake (St. Louis) is two years older than Darcelle, so if she's still performing, she holds the title, turning 92 on Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 325August 17, 2020 1:16 AM

Someone explain Jimbo to me. I get it, he's freaking amazing in a burned out kind of way. But he's an old man who looks like an old man, in and out of drag. These Canadian girls ain't pretty but Brook - Lynne. Hytes is bringing the looks. She lacks a lot else and I don't care. Fun to see someone else host.

But did y'all see Jaida Essence Hall with the cute ass Joseph Shepherd? They got COVID tested and interviewed in person! Jaida is like Bob and Bianca said -*speechless* That bitch. The most beautiful thing ever seen on Drag Race IMO. And most others too. But sweet and smart and real and loving beyond words. The real RuPaul replacement, but 10 years too late. She's too beautiful and not alternative enough for now. But there are few more popular winners. The interview is for the most part a gem. She's pretty moving and deep for a drag queen. Someone should post it on the All Seasons Tea thread, r324.

How can a dude be so good at what he does, such a nice guy and funny queen, happily married and so fucking gorgeous? Her spirit is as beautiful as the rest of her. She grew up happy and gay with 5 brothers to protect her. It helps. I think Jaida is one of the top 3 winners of all time on ANY drag race show. Give this girl some time and the world stage to shine. Never has anyone been more ready. Do you remember her living room Ciara performance? Amazing. Jaida would have won any season that she was on. Bob and Bianca agree. He's cute and beautiful as boy too, but he's long time taken. Not like some others...who just pretend.

So is Jimbo just a worn out homely queen that will blow me for a diet coke and medium fry in Edmonton? I always make them wipe the lipstick off first. That boy looks done in 25 years ago. I know Canada. There are beautiful men there. But the best Drag Queens must head south. Not anymore.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326August 17, 2020 1:37 AM

You can tell how popular Jimbo is that he isn't really getting hate after his immature outburst to Rita. If he wasn't a fan favorite, the drag race fandom would be coming for him.

by Anonymousreply 327August 17, 2020 1:42 AM

WTF does Jaida have to do with Canadaā€™s Drag Race? Learn to read the title of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 328August 17, 2020 1:47 AM

I love Jaida too R328! Enjoy her interview.

by Anonymousreply 329August 17, 2020 2:04 AM

I think I'm seeing Stacey in an Ibrance commercial as a lady handing out food at a community center......

by Anonymousreply 330August 17, 2020 9:54 PM

Scarlet Bobo's reaction when she didn't win this last challenge was HYSTERICAL! We were howling with laughter by the look on his face.

by Anonymousreply 331August 17, 2020 9:57 PM

Scarlet Bobo isn't the Jan Sport of the season. She's the Thorgy Thor. Thorgy always felt inferior to Bob- who won every challenge Thor excelled in. Also, both have 'clown drag' aesthetic.

Although I really liked Thorgy, I have no strong feelings towards Bobo.

by Anonymousreply 332August 17, 2020 11:20 PM

[Quote]I have no strong feelings towards Bobo.

Its Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent. She's just UNT

by Anonymousreply 333August 17, 2020 11:24 PM

R33 Nerve? She had the nerve to wear those ugly ass shoes.

by Anonymousreply 334August 18, 2020 12:38 AM

R332 Is RIta Baga the Bob in this analogy? I'm not sure if I see it. Scarlett Bobo reminds me more of Jan than Thorgy, just because she thinks she's ENTITLED to win. Scarlett doesn't seem as paranoid as Thorgy.

by Anonymousreply 335August 18, 2020 12:41 AM

I like Bobo but I think she is delusional about her looks and talent.

by Anonymousreply 336August 18, 2020 12:57 AM

Jaida Essence Hall is the best winner of all time. A beautiful man who is too much perfection as a Drag Queen and the most talented all round contestant the show has ever had. Gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337August 18, 2020 2:05 AM

This is about Canada dipshit!

by Anonymousreply 338August 18, 2020 2:15 AM

Jaida is universal. Canada is part of our universe. But their drag queens will never be seen again. It's a one and done thing. Cardboard outfits and man faces. Ugh.

Jaida was already A QUEEN. She performed in Canada many times. Some people just watch TV. The rest of us leave the house. Drag Race saved Jaida for season 12 - to give everyone HOPE. She's the best of the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339August 18, 2020 2:28 AM

Oh no. Crazy Matt is back.

by Anonymousreply 340August 18, 2020 3:16 AM

Give that flamin' Jaida fan what she deserves - ff that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 341August 18, 2020 4:31 AM

The whole world is a Jaida fan. F&F me? Get out of here old queer. This thread will be closed by tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 342August 18, 2020 4:58 AM

Anyhoo. This girl reminds me so much of Madonna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343August 19, 2020 1:54 AM

Sorry, this ā€œtwo spiritā€ human

by Anonymousreply 344August 19, 2020 2:01 AM

R344 "two spirit" INDIGENOUS* human!

by Anonymousreply 345August 19, 2020 2:15 AM

According to new rating metrics released by CTV, Drag Race Canada is the most watch show on Crave TV. Basically, this ensure there is going to be a second season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346August 20, 2020 6:45 PM

What the hell is the concept for this channel? HBO shows, sitcom reruns from the 90s, CBS All Access and Drag Race?

by Anonymousreply 347August 20, 2020 7:20 PM

Got my pink tutu and tiara on to watch tonight.

by Anonymousreply 348August 20, 2020 7:29 PM

R347 It's not a channel it's an online streaming service like Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 349August 20, 2020 8:27 PM

I donā€™t want to set off the ā€œUnrelated Drag Race Discussion Must Be Kept To The Appropriate Threadā€ troll, but I thought it was worth announcing here that Chi Chi DeVayne of RPDR8 and All Stars 3 has passed away at 34 from complications related to scleroderma.

by Anonymousreply 350August 20, 2020 8:32 PM

Noooooooooooooo. šŸ˜°šŸ˜° Iā€™m so saddened.

by Anonymousreply 351August 20, 2020 8:40 PM

Chi Chi is trending on Twitter. Every one of the Drag Race alumni are posting pictures of them together and saying beautiful things. Even mean old RuPaul. Mainstream publications are covering his death too. How very sad. Zavion was just 34. He must have been so very scared. RIP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352August 21, 2020 1:23 AM

Chi Chi was so cute. Not very talented in the scheme of things, but really beloved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353August 21, 2020 1:28 AM

A few thoughts about this episode:

1) I mean this with 100% sincerity, but what's more Canadian than having a gay Syrian refugee on Drag Race? Nothing. Can you ever imagine gay immigrants appearing on RPDR? Yeah, no.

2) The outfits were pretty much all awful. I'm sorrey. Lemon was right, those WERE the ugliest fucking outfits that have been on the runway.

3) Yaaaaas @ "You Oughta Know." I hope they get Alanis as a judge in the future. Did you notice all the queens on the back row dancing?!? In the words of dearly departed Ilona: Iconic!!

4) Who set JBC's makeup gun to whore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354August 21, 2020 3:09 AM

Is it my dear Lemon safe or did they give her the boot?

by Anonymousreply 355August 21, 2020 4:39 AM

I think Lemon was served some real bad luck this week. Scarlett should have been the next to go, but she picked this one week to do well. Rita really slayed that lip sync, though! I guess now weā€™ll never get to hear more about her big crush on Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 356August 21, 2020 5:01 AM

What the hell was Brooke wearing on her head? And who told her it was good? And how did they find someone who fits Lemon's dresses?

I love the concept of the Rainbow Railroad, I'm too lazy to check, but I doubt the US has something like that because of our current administration.

The CDR lip syncs have all been consistently good. I think I like serving emotion better than gymnastic shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 357August 21, 2020 12:35 PM

r357 here.... I also thought that Jimbo and Bimbo were hilarious...."Play with our titties together, because that's what sisters do." His queen was pretty even with Jimbo makeup on.

by Anonymousreply 358August 21, 2020 1:08 PM

Rainbow Railroad has a New York City division.

by Anonymousreply 359August 21, 2020 2:13 PM

Nothing but love for Chi Chi Devayne. From everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360August 21, 2020 3:43 PM

I'm getting much more attached to the canadian queens than I have for the past few seasons of drag race. Last elimination where Lemon went home was rough and is going to get rougher.

by Anonymousreply 361August 21, 2020 4:38 PM

Lemon really messed up....too bad.....I liked him a lot.

Jim Bob is just so damned O L D looking - he looks like he's a drag queen from the 50's - it's his face....ugh.

Bobo is insufferable......so I guess I'm only rooting now for Rita. Priyanka tries too hard and doesn't have the style or personality to be a fun drag queen......

by Anonymousreply 362August 21, 2020 5:21 PM

Lemon got eliminated and Scarlett remains for some reason. The judging on this show is so unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 363August 21, 2020 5:31 PM

I quite enjoyed the guest judge- she brought a natural energy and cheer to the panel.

by Anonymousreply 364August 21, 2020 6:01 PM

Agree r364. I plan to steal elements of her catwalk strut for my next big entrance.

by Anonymousreply 365August 21, 2020 6:16 PM

Agree that Iā€™m way more invested in these queens and find them (for the most part) distinct enough as individuals to remember. All Stars 5 had returning, established queens and it was impossible to care about or differentiate between 75% of them.

I kind of thought Lemon had a shot at top two so this was a shock. I have a feeling if any of the judges had the power individually that RuPaul does on the US version, this wouldā€™ve been a double save.

by Anonymousreply 366August 22, 2020 12:57 AM

Lemon is super young, she'll have a fine career ahead of her. Who knows, since she lives in NY, she might be on the US version of DR, and she will have some experience behind her.

by Anonymousreply 367August 22, 2020 3:14 AM

Actually, I would love to see a Lemon/Gigi Goode in the same competition, Mean Girling it together.

by Anonymousreply 368August 22, 2020 3:15 AM

I'll miss Lemon but she deserved to go home for her terrible make-up job for the makeover and a lip-sync that completely missed all the emotion of the song. Rita did a great job with the emotion part of YOK, but seemed like she was a step behind the lyrics for most of the lipsync.

Jimbo deserved the win this week. It's clear he's not going to win the season but will get the "kooky fan favorite" title, which is probably more lucrative in the long run.

I'm just not seeing what the Judges are in Priyanka. She's almost always fine but I never think she's anything special.

by Anonymousreply 369August 22, 2020 4:24 AM

I think Jimbo will fall into the Crystal Methyd territory.

by Anonymousreply 370August 22, 2020 4:30 AM

Canada's Drag Race seems more obviously rigged than the US version and that probably comes down to the bad judging. Rita absolutely deserved to be in the bottom but I'm not sold on Bobo being in the top over Jimbo.

by Anonymousreply 371August 22, 2020 4:47 AM

I hate Priyankaā€™s hunched over slump and donkey voice. Sheā€™s alright, but I donā€™t know if sheā€™s top two material. She will work after this though.

To the poster above who mentioned bringing Lemon on the US version, I absolutely love that idea. Sheā€™ll have a little time to cook, but we wonā€™t have to wait five years for a Canadian All Stars season to happen. Thereā€™s barely any competition left in the US and sheā€™d do pretty good. RuPaul would appreciate her comedic chops quite a bit.

As we know, the Canadian judges donā€™t have anything close to a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 372August 22, 2020 4:49 AM

"I quite enjoyed the guest judge- she brought a natural energy and cheer to the panel."

She's great on The Handmaid's Tale. She was the Martha who was in June's first household. The Marthas are always dressed plainly/severely and it was great to see her rock the party girl outfit. Now I just want to see her in more stuff.

by Anonymousreply 373August 23, 2020 1:56 AM

R372 It's bizarre that Canada, and country known for comedic performers, couldn't find anyone funny to host the show!

by Anonymousreply 374August 23, 2020 4:16 AM

R375 I am the funny one, HUNTY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375August 23, 2020 4:18 AM

Okay, he's not funny. But he's handsome and amusing - Jay Manuel!! He's Canadian and would have been a perfect host for Drag Race. He hosted Canada's version of Next Top Model, along with - you guessed it. Jeanne Beker and Staci MacKenzie. A long time ago. He's not surprisingly both warm and bitchy in real life.

Brooke Lynn Heights is so damn lucky, because he's a lousy Drag Queen with zero personality. But Canada's version is a HIT. He'll be back. I like Traci Melchor a lot, but she's really underused on this show. Always battling cancer, that girl.

by Anonymousreply 376August 23, 2020 4:32 AM

I wish they had gotten Iman. She was fantastic as the host of Project Runway Canada.

by Anonymousreply 377August 23, 2020 1:28 PM

Lemon didn't deserve to go home. I though bobo's was terrible. Lemon just had the bad luck of having a butter face. He was cute with the beard but damn that face sans hair was whooo boy. If I were here I would have made it work and made it a gag, Rather than Lime just have her make a pucker face with that big schnoz and call her sour puss. Lemon has won challenges, Bobo has won nothing but one mini challenge.. Rita's was just shit.

by Anonymousreply 378August 23, 2020 3:16 PM

The judging was all over the place this week. Jimbo should have won, their outfits were on point, the makeup job on her sister was the best one of the group, as was the tuck. So they came off as a little too 'familiar' in their presentation? So what! It kept with their chosen theme.

Priyanka winning with Bobo coming in second (again) was suspicious. I don't know what it is about it, but the makeover challenge is the one challenge over the years where I've disagreed the most with the results.

by Anonymousreply 379August 23, 2020 4:09 PM

I thought it was hilarious how Rita ratted out Jimbo in front of Jeffrey in the mini challenge. Poor, Jimbo. He wasn't ready for that prison snitch levels of fuckery from Rita.

by Anonymousreply 380August 23, 2020 6:34 PM

The part of the judging I didn't understand was Scarlet Bobo winning the puppet show. I'd probably put her last, I was so confused.

In terms of the makeover I agreed with Priyanka winning and Lemon and Rita lip synching.

[Quote]Lemon just had the bad luck of having a butter face

Please, Lemon's paint job was not good. She is not an experienced make up artist and painting someone else's different than painting your own.

It was great this episode highlighted Rainbow Railroad.

by Anonymousreply 381August 23, 2020 8:13 PM

So, we all know (or at least most fans know) that the American version has been rigged for years. The winner (or at least the top 4) is almost always predetermined before the season begins filming. Queens have talked about getting a heads up from producers when they were about to be eliminated, and Queens from AS3 have confirmed they were heavily influenced by producers to ensure Trixie was voted into the top two and Shangela eliminated (Thorgy was the only one to go against what she was asked to do). There are other obvious sings, like the Queen eliminated in 5th place is always a fan favorite "shocker." The difference is, the American editors are better at making it appears that the judging and Ru's elimination is correct. The Canadian version is a mess because the judging doesn't match what's happening on the runway.

by Anonymousreply 382August 23, 2020 11:44 PM

^ The truth. And the 4th place elimination was always designed as a heartbreaker. From Latrice to Kennedy, Detox to Chi Chi. Yara.

Jackie Cox?? Well Sherry Pie kind of screwed that one up.

by Anonymousreply 383August 24, 2020 12:05 AM

Scarlett Bobo is very hard to look at. Both in and out of drag, she has that gross club kid quality. Like a "doing party drugs for 1 week straight, never bathing and chopping up a body in the bathtub" type of aesthetic.

by Anonymousreply 384August 24, 2020 12:16 AM

r318 disagree. That nose on Lemon's guy was huge. I agree she didn't paint her correctly but she had to make her family resemblance so she had to paint like her like she does herself.

by Anonymousreply 385August 24, 2020 1:08 AM

She needed to contour her guy's face more, and hide more of it with the hair, to make it appear more oval. The brows are too long and pointed at the arch, the liner is too big *she could have done that with shadow), and the lashes are situated so they're drooping at the ends. She should have done lifts on him, and moved the wig back to expose more forehead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386August 24, 2020 1:28 AM

OMG! It's Agnes Moorhead!

by Anonymousreply 387August 24, 2020 2:56 AM

JBC bullied off of twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388August 24, 2020 8:41 PM

Canadian's are less concerned with being politically correct, because they are generally less racist, homophobic or misogynoir to begin with. So there's a bit more latitude to tell the truth. So Jeffrey is being cancelled by the usual hardcore american teen girls and non binarys who don't like that he pointed out that a fat girl could have packaged it better? That bitches junk was not pretty and neither were the razor bumps. As upthread noted, Michelle Visage has said much worse about contestants who presented much better. Jeffrey is a bit of a disaster, but we only want to fuck him, not listen to him. The only place I want to bully him is in bed. There. I've said it. He likes it too.

by Anonymousreply 389August 25, 2020 7:00 AM

I've been watching RPDR from season 1 and Santino's critiques were super harsh. What the kids don't understand is the word "critique". The judges are trying to improve their drag, not bring them down. If Ilona had any class, she would say something to that effect on social media.

by Anonymousreply 390August 25, 2020 2:54 PM

I thought it was Brooklyn who said Ilona should put some make up on her ass.

by Anonymousreply 391August 25, 2020 2:57 PM

Yes, R390, Santino was brutal but he gave specific and useful criticism. He would never be able to get away with it on a current season.

by Anonymousreply 392August 25, 2020 2:59 PM

Don't forget that Ilona identifies as non-binary and two-spirit, so in the Twittersphere, that makes her infallible.

JBC critiquing her ass was the final straw for them.

by Anonymousreply 393August 25, 2020 3:23 PM

Ilona is now alleging on Twitter that she tried to kill herself and ended up in the ER the night she got into a fight with someone on the show and that the online bullies made her do it.

by Anonymousreply 394August 25, 2020 8:34 PM

How would online bullies be able to make her do something while she was filming? Or is she saying it happened the night the episode aired?

by Anonymousreply 395August 25, 2020 9:22 PM

There is an excellent episode of, "I May Destroy You" (If you're unfamiliar with it, it's about a woman who gets drugged and raped and how she deals with it), where she doxxes somebody (who sexually takes advantage of her by taking off the condom without her consent or knowing about it) and gets so much attention from it, she becomes an SJW Influencer and is consumed by what other people are thinking of her on social media and is influenced by them.

I never understood how people got so influenced by social media, but this episode really laid it out for me.

by Anonymousreply 396August 25, 2020 9:30 PM

Other queens on the show bullied as well:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397August 25, 2020 9:34 PM

Ilona's attempt may have been caused by her looking closely into a full length mirror.

by Anonymousreply 398August 25, 2020 10:08 PM

R394 I thought no contestants were allowed to have social media while filming? If she means after the whole event and while airing, that is a bit different...meaning she saw what she truly acted like and was horrified about the disgrace she brought on indigenous two spirit individuals...".teen idle" indeed!

by Anonymousreply 399August 25, 2020 10:17 PM

As usual, The Vixen is right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400August 25, 2020 10:42 PM

r394 yes the online bullies MADE her do it.

by Anonymousreply 401August 25, 2020 10:49 PM

Poor Jeffrey. Thatā€™s what we hate to see ā€” ugly internet trolls bothering attractive TV hosts.

by Anonymousreply 402August 25, 2020 11:21 PM

I really have to wonder how many "death threats" these queens who scream and squawk about all their "death threats" really get.

by Anonymousreply 403August 26, 2020 1:32 AM

From what we seen from Illona, she's a whiny kid. She probably was tweet/IG whining how horrible her life is, and somebody probably said, "So why don't you kill yourself already?"

by Anonymousreply 404August 26, 2020 1:41 AM

Poor Jeffrey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405August 26, 2020 2:32 AM

Jesus Christ. War on the pretty black man. Replace him with Randy Rainbow!

by Anonymousreply 406August 26, 2020 2:34 AM

These queens and judges are delicious messes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407August 26, 2020 4:03 AM

I thought Jimbo's elimination would bother me more, but he had to go. It was time.

Still don't get Scarlett Bobo. There's no way she can win, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408August 28, 2020 5:12 AM

I will say, as crazy as the judging has been this season, this show really delivers on the surprise eliminations.

Jimboā€™s lip sync was awful. I guess he really did think he was winning this because he clearly didnā€™t know half the words.

by Anonymousreply 409August 28, 2020 5:16 AM

It should have been Lemon instead of BoBo.

by Anonymousreply 410August 28, 2020 6:10 AM

R403, all the online hate stuff is wildly inflated. I follow some queenā€™s social media. There will be hundreds and hundreds of comments of sycophantic praise. Maybe one out of every three hundred posts is nasty and probably closer to every 800 posts for a death threat, which isnā€™t really a death threat, itā€™s a twelve year old saying they should look themselves.

Itā€™s human nature to remember the bad comments instead of the good ones, so I understand their frustration, but the severity of the matter is vastly overrated.

by Anonymousreply 411August 28, 2020 1:41 PM

They should kill themselves*

by Anonymousreply 412August 28, 2020 1:41 PM

Iā€™m over Ritaā€™s hot dog jokes. We get it.

by Anonymousreply 413August 28, 2020 1:42 PM

Memorable entrance, memorable exit. (Hey, it wasn't some trite 'inspirational' quote, at least!)

I groaned when they brought out the childhood pics. Thought they retired that shit.

by Anonymousreply 414August 28, 2020 4:42 PM

Rita was hilarious in the singing segment. And it was Jimbo's time to go. I think Rita is going to win, given her years in the drag community. Bobo is so much like Jan....LIKE MEEEEEEEEE.

I also love how Jimbo said, "This crown is made of crap", and Priyanka saying, "I'm covered in bullshit".

by Anonymousreply 415August 28, 2020 5:16 PM

R415 Personally I think Rita should win but #Teambobo is trending higher numbers on social media.

by Anonymousreply 416August 28, 2020 5:56 PM

Having Michelle there this week was a God sent. That is how judging should be done. It can be critical, but provides constructive feedback. The problem with the Canadian judges (particularly JBC) is that they come off as reading the queens and not giving them feedback.

by Anonymousreply 417August 28, 2020 6:33 PM

I can hardly wait to watch.......to see the old hag sent home........

by Anonymousreply 418August 28, 2020 7:05 PM

It took Visage to show up for someone to finally critique Jimbo's very pale greasepaint makeup. The other judges did her a disservice by not calling this out earlier in the competition.

Notice how in the mirror scene Jimbo didn't go into specifics of anyone supporting him back home. I get the sense he either doesn't want to play the game of sharing personal stories or he's going it alone. There is a coldness to him, as wonderfully creative as he is

by Anonymousreply 419August 28, 2020 7:14 PM

Is Rita's name supposed to be a pun? I read somewhere else that it's a play on "rutabaga," but in that case I would've just gone with "Ruta Baga."

by Anonymousreply 420August 28, 2020 7:20 PM

I was a big fan of Jimbo's early on, but he really didn't grow much and his make up was usually terrible. And that lipsync! He seemed more interested in keeping that stupid thing on his head than to actually bring it. Rita was good but not great either, so there was plenty of room to steal it away. Bobo had the best extravagahnza outfit, but it wasn't all that great anyway, just that the others were terrible. I'm fine with the top three.

by Anonymousreply 421August 28, 2020 8:52 PM

Yes r420. Ruta is a little too on the nose. Like Sharon Needles- you have to think about it first, then you get it.

Jimbo did stick to his clown aesthetic. At least Michelle told him to bring it down to his chest, instead of going more natural.

by Anonymousreply 422August 28, 2020 8:56 PM

I love Pryanka as a person: such a fucking mess--she always makes me laugh (two cocktails!), but Rita's drag is better. Not sure how this thing is gonna go.

by Anonymousreply 423August 28, 2020 9:55 PM

Even if Priyanka doesn't win, people will remember her, even over Bobo, a la all of these 2nd place finishers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424August 28, 2020 9:59 PM

Somebody on the CDR subreddit explained Rita's name this way:

* In the French spoken in Montreal, the U in "Ruta" (as in "rutabaga") sounds more like the I in "Rita."

* Rita is a common name among French-Canadian ladies of a certain age.

by Anonymousreply 425August 28, 2020 10:05 PM

I finally figured out why I can't connect with/warm to Ruta. when in drag he looks just like my mother when I was young.

by Anonymousreply 426August 28, 2020 10:15 PM

Goodbye, Jimbo!!! Hurray!!!

by Anonymousreply 427August 29, 2020 12:23 AM

I just discovered I can watch this through the VH1 app on Amazon.

Iā€™ve watched two episodes.

Early judgments:

ā€”The contestants are fine. They are as good (and not) and as varied as any season of the show.

ā€”RuPaulā€™s absence is profound. Even those of you who have tired of RuPaul, you canā€™t watch this without admitting that RuPaul is the emotional and entertainment anchor of the series. The judges all have the same sorts of likes, but RuPaul can deliver zingers with his tongue planted in his cheek and have a whimsical and nurturing quality, whereas these people all come across as assholes to greater and lesser extents.

ā€”To that end, I am embarrassed watching Brooke and Jeffrey both imitating RuPaulā€”with both words and delivery. It makes the show inferior.

ā€”Notably, ā€œCanadaā€™s Drag Raceā€ as opposed to ā€œRuPaulā€™s Drag Race UKā€ (which was better).

ā€”I like some of the contestants (I am only two eps in and have not yet differentiated among most of them.) As with everyone else, Lemon and the old clown stand out most to me. Also the older, handsome (less so as a woman) guy from Montreal. The refugee from Jamaica pulled my heartstrings.

ā€”But the judging is just a firing squad of pointing out flaws and so itā€™s affecting my opinion of all the contestants. Do they all suck as much as the judges think they do? I donā€™t think so. Lemonā€™s sporty anime in the first episode was not bad. Why was she in the bottom. And Brookeā€™s read of another queen that amounted to ā€œyour waist could be smaller and I wish you wore black tights instead of black fishnet tightsā€ (?!) was annoyingly nitpicky.

I know a guy from Montreal who grew up in the US and now lives in Ontario and he bitches about EVERYTHING like this. Nothing is ever close to good enough. Is this typical of Canadians? Why do they carry a reputation of being nice?

by Anonymousreply 428August 29, 2020 1:26 AM

R248 Canadians aren't "nice," we're polite. There's a difference.

by Anonymousreply 429August 29, 2020 1:34 AM

R429 The judges have not been polite so far!

by Anonymousreply 430August 29, 2020 1:37 AM

Judge Jeffrey: You are looking very unattractive, my dear. The outfit does not suit you. Are you even trying? Do you have any talent? Not being a gymnast is no excuse. Look around. Everyone is better than you are.

Judge Brook: Hmm. I see that youā€™re trying, but instead of silver glitter you could have put pink glitter on your face. Also, youā€™re a little fat. Can you try not to look so fat? And your shoesā€”I prefer stilettos. Try to find a wig I would wear myself.

Stacey: I think youā€™re fine, just up the volume. Youā€™re trying to win, not to blend in.

Guest judge: I feel this is an inferior quality production, but go, Canada.

by Anonymousreply 431August 29, 2020 1:43 AM

A lot of Rita's looks were WTF? She never should have won the denim challenge over Jimbo.

by Anonymousreply 432August 29, 2020 2:03 AM

Unbelievable that Scarlett BoBo is STILL there!

I was a bit surprised that Jimbo and Rita were in the bottom two - I thought it might have been Priyanka's turn. Don't know how many other people noticed but Jimbo had a very bad coldly angry attitude that surfaced a couple of times during the season where he got very pissed off with something like not winning something when he expected to or in reaction to a judges feedback and was a really cold cunt about it for a long time or really crossed the line into scary territory when he attacked a couple of other contestants. He was amazingly creative and fantastic at what he does but out of Rita and him - he was the right choice to go based on that.

Repeat - I can't believe that Scarlett BoBo is STILL there! I didn't see what the judges saw this week.

I thought the best top 3 would have been Priyanka, Jimbo and Rita.

by Anonymousreply 433August 29, 2020 2:09 AM

Jeffrey is beautiful but why does he talk with such an annoying affectation? He seems so...fake.

by Anonymousreply 434August 29, 2020 2:11 AM

Agreed R434. Instead of bringing his own personality he has slowly morphed into a cross between a wannabe RuPaul and a Drag Race contestant himself. The increasingly unflattering make-up and gross affectations are off putting. What a pity he wasn't just himself.

by Anonymousreply 435August 29, 2020 2:18 AM

Jimbo has bad energy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436August 29, 2020 4:58 AM

I've wanted to say it since the beginning of the show, but Jimbo reminds me of one of my exes- super artistic guy, obsessed with clowns, very passive aggressive- extremely nice, but can get nasty when angry. Also has problems with alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 437August 29, 2020 2:17 PM

I just think that JIMBO in drag looked like those old 60's drag queens......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438August 29, 2020 2:24 PM

Jimbo seems like a creepy child molester who is prone to sudden fits of rage.

by Anonymousreply 439August 29, 2020 4:02 PM

Yeah...I was really loving Jimbo until the second half of the season and then he began to show his true colours. He's funny, but he has some anger management problems and an inflated ego.

by Anonymousreply 440August 29, 2020 4:07 PM

It's interesting, I think BLH is just as rude and bad at judging as JBC and yet Brooke is not called out as readily as Jeffery. Is it because he's white or because being in drag makes it seem less rude and more comedy? I'm just curious. Stacey is the only one I like but she needs to up her personality.

by Anonymousreply 441August 29, 2020 5:00 PM

I think because BLH is an actual drag queen and knows what it takes to be successful, so it's valid critiques (to them). JBC's are also valid, but he seems insincere about it.

by Anonymousreply 442August 29, 2020 5:06 PM

R441 Iā€™m not being politically correct when I say I donā€™t think their races have anything at all to do with it.

Jeffrey is REALLY off putting here. I think he is smolderingly hot. Iā€™m not even someone who usually objectifies people based on their appearances but his smile could get me to do anything at all. Heā€™s gorgeous. And here, that is his only redeeming characteristic. He is parroting RuPaul, from the scripted lines to the way he recites them, and he fails at that. Heā€™s obviously aware of the power of his smile because he uses it way too much and in such an artificial way that he comes across as entirely inauthentic and off putting. And yes, he is given puns to say but he has no wit of his own. When RuPaul throws out all the puns, I feel like they are RuPaulā€™s own words. The only things Jeffrey says that seem authentic are critical, and without any wit. He just seems like an arrogant asshole here. AND he doesnā€™t do drag himself, so what exactly qualifies him to be so condemning? RuPaul obviously sees him as a mentee but RuPaulā€™s strength is in RuPaulā€™s own charisma and not always in RuPaulā€™s discernment.

Brooke strikes me more or less as a neutral blank slate. I do think being in drag adds a camp factor that telegraphs ā€œdonā€™t take me too seriously here,ā€ and so that is probably some level of protection. Brooke also can say cutting things and then follow it up with ā€œIā€™ve stood where youā€™re standing. Iā€™m only trying to help you grow, as much as the criticism hurts.ā€ And even if I disagree with him, I canā€™t really argue that itā€™s not true. But Jeffrey has no such excuse. Heā€™s never stood where they stand. He doesnā€™t do drag. Heā€™s an actor (seemingly a terrible one; Iā€™ve only seen him here and on American Horror Story, in which his acting was abysmal). And he doesnā€™t seem to have had to go through any growth process. He modeled, he was cast on some TV show no one I know has ever seen, and then RuPaul adopted him the way Matt Gaetz adopted Nestor, 19-year-old lover-son.

by Anonymousreply 443August 29, 2020 5:17 PM

If he goes a couple more COVID months without Botox and fillers, DLB is going to complete his transition from wax figure to Jimbo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444August 29, 2020 7:14 PM

Jeffrey slept with grandmama RuPaul? Eww

by Anonymousreply 445August 29, 2020 7:15 PM

Jeffrey is an interesting case study. RuPaul identified him as a protegĆ©, clearly. Heā€™s not a drag queen, but he does wear nonbinary clothes.

RuPaul is both adored and reviled by various people for espousing an Oprah-esque New Age spirituality while rumored to be warm and nurturing on camera and cold and aloof off camera (which he admits he is).

Meanwhile, Jeffreyā€™s Instagram and podcast personas both espouse RuPaul-esque, Oprah-esque New Age spirituality, all about love and oneness and self-loveā€”yet on camera heā€™s a judgmental and humorless asshole with pretentious affectations who pretty much everyone now agrees is uncomfortable to watch.

Whether they are authentic or not, both Oprah and RuPaul can pull off their schtick when the cameras are rolling. JBC just seems fake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446August 29, 2020 7:24 PM

Now that we know RuPaul has eaten out that ass, his rise to fame all makes sense!

by Anonymousreply 447August 29, 2020 7:28 PM

RuPaul doesn't have sex with Black men. Jeffrey is not his sexual protege. My sexual crush on JBC is a bit diminished after watching Canada's Drag Race. I knew he was dumb and superficial and untalented before, but I wanted to make out with and fuck him so badly. Now I just want to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 448August 29, 2020 8:29 PM

Jeffrey definitely sleeping with someone to get on RUDR and become a judge.

by Anonymousreply 449August 29, 2020 8:57 PM

Keiynan Lonsdale would have made an adorable judge and he's much kinder, sweeter and smarter than JBC. He was great on the episode of Snatch Game of Love, but his career is young and he probably doesn't want a permanent gig on Drag Race. He's a cutie though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450August 29, 2020 9:06 PM

I am not saying I would have say yes, but I am saying RuPaul, why you didnā€™t ask me to host Canadaā€™s Drag Race, eh? I might have say yes to you, but now you will not ever know because you did not ask!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451August 29, 2020 9:11 PM

They couldn't afford Celine!

by Anonymousreply 452August 29, 2020 9:14 PM

R450 Keiynan is Australian. Judges need to be Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 453August 29, 2020 9:14 PM

R452 This is what you assume! Maybe I do Canadaā€™s Drag Race as a passion project, eh? But now RuPaul will not ever know because he did not ask!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454August 29, 2020 9:16 PM

I had this fantasy too R451. Celine would be so perfect as the host of Canada's Drag Race. Celine is greater drag diva than Cher and Diana combined. CĆ©line EST la drag queen ultime. But, she belongs to the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455August 29, 2020 9:18 PM

And she would les nice and positive criticisme, non?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456August 29, 2020 9:22 PM

CĆ©line is hilarious in a way to how Tyra Banks can be hilarious to me. Both of them are absolute fools, sometimes pushing the limits of seeming insane. They invite you to laugh AT them, though. Thatā€™s a really uncommon quality. Most people want to be funny by making you laugh with them. Most people are mortified when you laugh at them. A few select people have a quality of embracing their own foolishness and taking joy when they make you laugh, even when youā€™re laughing in astonishment at how ridiculous they can be. Thatā€™s what made ANTM so fun for years, really. The competitions and fashion business stuff were interesting, but Tyraā€™s nutty way of bouncing between acting like a clown and presenting herself a as a serious mentor was just captivating. It adds up to camp. RuPaul understands and has mastered camp comedy, and thatā€™s how heā€™s able to deliver it. Tyra and CĆ©line are both natural camp characters just by being themselves. I canā€™t think of a whole lot of others who have that quality.

by Anonymousreply 457August 29, 2020 9:24 PM

KEIYNAN. Who cares if he's Australian? All part of the Commonwealth baby. Because Jeffrey is definitely going to be fired!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458August 29, 2020 9:30 PM

Jeffrey failed. This show is like his own personal AHS Apocalypse. End of the road for you, Jeffy. Youā€™ll always have that pretty face!

Honestly, after watching this performance again, I donā€™t think Jeffrey has any right to judge any drag queenā€™s terrible attempt at camp comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459August 29, 2020 9:33 PM

CĆ©line is a dork in the best possible way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460August 29, 2020 9:42 PM

CĆ©line is the spirit that all the queens are ultimately trying to embody in any Drag Race skit.

Can you imagine her playing the fried chicken mascot Raven had to play? Hahaha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461August 29, 2020 9:44 PM

Imagine this. A Lip Sync of Life. Celine sang it LIVE with just a petit guttural chanteuse de Piaf! Make this the finale Canada!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462August 29, 2020 9:58 PM

The Poor Manā€™s CĆ©line must be available for Drag Race judging. Sheā€™d also be a good choice for lip sync fodder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463August 29, 2020 10:01 PM

[quote]Can you imagine her playing the fried chicken mascot Raven had to play? Hahaha

"Deesco Akstra Grizzy Shartening eez da best, eh?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464August 29, 2020 10:07 PM

Lara Fabian is a gorgeous singer too. She has very much been in Celine's shadow. But who other than Celine has gone from a shack in Quebec to rule the recording industry and change the world? Winning everyone's heart as hers goes on and on, and on. She was the best selling recording artist in any genre for a decade. The two biggest selling French language albums in history PLUS she has THREE of the top 50 selling recorded albums EVER! Non, no one but Celine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465August 29, 2020 10:21 PM

CĆ©line, Alanis, Lara, Shania, Sarah McLachlan. There are some good musicians to lip sync to and some who would make for good snatch game fodder. I could see CĆ©line, Alanis and Sarah (as a too-serious mopey granola character stuck in the Lilith 90s) being funny on Snatch Game. Not to mention Moira and Alexis Rose.

by Anonymousreply 466August 29, 2020 10:25 PM

I just realized that judge Stacey is not transgender!

by Anonymousreply 467August 29, 2020 10:42 PM

Judge Stacey is the ugliest model I've ever seen in my life. But she was a model and a big one too. On the catwalk. She also was a permanent judge on Canada's Next Top Model with Jay Manuel and Jeanne Beker and she appeared on ANTM too a few times. She's got that fierce thing down. But the Canada's Drag Race judging panel is quite terrible in total. I can't stand Ross and Carson Kressley - and Ru's ear fed puns are not as amusing as his more honest reactions....But I've come to appreciate the limited but very incisive talents of Michelle Visage!! She's fucking sure of herself and direct and instructive and specific. We know from her immense involvement - she does LOVE these drag queens. After watching the passive aggressive Canadian idea of "helpful" critique, I appreciate Visage much more. Ross and Carson are still just overly gay clowns. Give us some younger guys who have some fresh opinions. Ross at least understands drag bars - but Carson Kressley knows nothing about fashion. He's about 70 years old. Give me Keiynan Lonsdale, Adam Rippon, Gigi Gorgeous or Jeffree Star. Yes, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 468August 29, 2020 11:00 PM

ā€œAdam Rippon, Gigi Gorgeous or Jeffree Starā€

Eek!

Eek!!

EEK!!!

by Anonymousreply 469August 29, 2020 11:02 PM

Alanis could be a great snatch game character - do screamy 90s Alanis in a nude bodysuit with really long hair like the 'Thank U' video. Lots could be done with her lyrics as answers, and jf all else fails "isn't that ironic, don't you think?" could make an absurd comeback to many of the questions.

by Anonymousreply 470August 29, 2020 11:15 PM

R470 I can imagine, ā€œWait, sorry, Ru. Could you repeat the question? Iā€™ve got one hand in my pocket and...I got a little distracted.ā€

by Anonymousreply 471August 29, 2020 11:18 PM

ā€œI may not be ageless like Cher over there, but would she go down on you in a theater? Cuz I did that to Dave Coulier and Iā€™ll suck your dick right here in the studio!ā€

by Anonymousreply 472August 29, 2020 11:19 PM

[quote]CĆ©line is hilarious in a way to how Tyra Banks can be hilarious to me.

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 473August 29, 2020 11:19 PM

I stand by all four of my judge panel suggestions - but not all together every week R469. Keiynan and Gigi for sure. Adam Rippon is way more fun than Carson Kressley. Cute too. And he knows costumes and performance just as well. Jeffree had a race problem. And tens of millions of followers. This is his business. He'd be a great judge. You must be over 60?

Here is Stacey, not much different than now? She doesn't even look young in 1997. She really was A FREAK that broke through. I wish she would play that up more, instead of how fabulous she is. Because luck was a big part of it & the rest is believing in yourself. Drag Queens can always find a bar, if they ever come back. There's no standout winner this season to me. Brook Lynne would know about that. Dude looks like a star of Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, for sure. But he's nothing as a Drag Queen.

by Anonymousreply 474August 29, 2020 11:31 PM

How can they NOT have Annie Murphy and Catherine Oā€™Hara and Dan Levy guest judging? It makes no sense!

Especially considering Ted Mullins was a contestant on the quasi-celebrity Drag Race spinoff.

by Anonymousreply 475August 29, 2020 11:34 PM

Here is Stacey McKenzie. Back in 1997. I was 14. On Jeanne Bekkers best fashion TV show - ever. I'm sure I posted it already. The links are fucked up today or am I being punished for going off the OP's "topic"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476August 29, 2020 11:45 PM

I've worked with Carson, and I have to say, he has a great work ethic and very self deprecating. I happened to be in a juice bar where Gigi Gorgeous came in after a workout, and NO GURL. NO. She's married money so she never has to work again anyway.

I also don't understand why BLH had great clothes/makeup/hair during her RPDR season, but almost all of her choices on CDR are consistently unflattering.

by Anonymousreply 477August 29, 2020 11:47 PM

I like Staceyā€™s look, actually, for the record. I am the one who said I was surprised to realize today that she isnā€™t transgender. I wasnā€™t saying she is unattractive. She is definitely unusual looking. But her voice more than anything had me thinking she is probably transgender.

Call me crazy, but I really like her facial features. Sheā€™s very interesting looking, and right now there is another thread here dedicated to Claudia Schiffer and I always found her to be bafflingly bland. Iā€™d rather stare at a Stacey McKenzie face than a Barbie face.

by Anonymousreply 478August 29, 2020 11:50 PM

But no one would ever compare Stacey McKenzie to Claudia Schiffer, would they? There's no reason to. Ever.

You're the one who called her transgender. Did you watch the video I posted @ 476? Stacey is interesting. And unattractive. Not overly bright despite her lack of intelligence or that interesting outside of her modelling. But she's an island girl with a man's voice and a hook nose, yellowboned with freckles, so yeah - she's not very pretty or sexy - but interesting. Quite a few models are. Claudia Schiffer was not one of them. The old dude who starts those supermodel threads is mentally ill.

I'd still rather look at Claudia Schiffer. And she's boring as fuck. But very pretty. Stacey has a reputation for being interesting - when she's really not. She was just lucky. And a not bad model.

Not unlike Alanis Morissette. Also not as interesting as her persona. And that wasn't even her. She too, got very lucky. With one album. And a bad romance.

by Anonymousreply 479August 30, 2020 12:05 AM

I was looking at the picture R446 posted. Has JBC been fucked so much that his butt cheeks never touch each other?

by Anonymousreply 480August 30, 2020 12:16 AM

I did think ā€œSorey, Not Sorey Aboot Itā€ was funny.

These dance routines become tiresome but some are amusing.

by Anonymousreply 481August 30, 2020 12:37 AM

I can forgive Jimbo's temperament. He is in a high stress environment. Every queen has had bitchy things to say, even Priyanka in his confessionals. And I figured the producers did not want Jimbo to win after giving the denim and makeover challenge wins to someone else.

Rita Baga, like Lemon, has yet to win me over because their runways have been so underwhelming. But I am sure when she does get the crown all will be forgiven like Monet X Change "Now that they have money they can become a better drag queen!"

Jeffry critiques are unnecessarily bitchy for someone who has no expertise in drag.

I think Brooklyn is just choosing from available hair and gowns that her stylist gives him. I think he has an aloof and slutty persona which he doesn't feel comfortable showing because of his need to be taken seriously.

I like Stacey. I think she is really pretty with a bright smile and cute freckles. And the fact she can carry herself fabulously while cunts tell her she's ugly is inspiring.

Not sure I will watch the finale because I am pretty damn sure Rita is going to win.

by Anonymousreply 482August 30, 2020 12:47 AM

How many episodes have aired? You guys make it sound like itā€™s at least half over but Amazon only has four episodes available to view.

by Anonymousreply 483August 30, 2020 12:55 AM

[quote]How many episodes have aired?

Nine episodes. Only 3 queens left so it is almost over

by Anonymousreply 484August 30, 2020 1:09 AM

R484 Weird. Wonder why Amazon is stuck at four.

by Anonymousreply 485August 30, 2020 1:16 AM

OK, paused episode four during the judging. Thus far, Brookeā€™s critiques really have been primarily Brooke telling people what clothes she wishes they were wearing. She just told Ilona that she would like to have seen a mullet skirt and ā€œa bolero moment.ā€

I get that the judging of these things is entirely subjective, but Brookeā€™s judging seems to be 90 percent dependent on contestants having foreknowledge of what Brooke would want to see them wear that week. Iā€™m finding it unbearably annoying.

by Anonymousreply 486August 30, 2020 1:30 AM

Next week: ā€œThis was a gown challenge...But I am in the mood to see you in flared bellbottoms underneath a Judy Jetson dress. Youā€™re in the bottom two!ā€

by Anonymousreply 487August 30, 2020 1:35 AM

based on JBG waist line this season, i think those are older photos

by Anonymousreply 488August 30, 2020 1:47 AM

Oh wow he did gain some weight. From hot twunk to Andre Leon Talley in two years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489August 30, 2020 1:52 AM

The casting chair

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490August 30, 2020 1:53 AM

[quote]When will people understand that beauty is not about looks.

^ YouTube poster or R482? Stacey McKenzie is a bit of a nutty bore to be honest. She was a good athlete but she knocked on doors for over 5 years to be continually rejected as a MODEL? Taking the bus back and forth from Toronto to NYC. And they all said no. This ain't a noble profession she was chasing. She just wanted to prove that she was attractive at the most ridiculous level. And ever since she made a dollar at it she's spent all her time talking about how different and ugly she felt growing up. I get it and I believe it. But she's dumb and boring. Become a basketball coach and know some real glory.

Canada's Drag Race is all second and third string. Judges and contestants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491August 30, 2020 2:16 AM

So in an IG Live Interview, Lemon effectively admitted that JBC and all the judges were basically told what to say to the queens by the producers and act. This isn't surprising really. We know that all the runway jokes are on RPDR are all fed to the judges by an ear piece. The only one who improves is Ross.

Look JBC is terrible on the show, but people are twitter are viscous and taking it way to seriously. I doubt he'll be back if there is another season. I actually think it'll be a "mutual decision"

by Anonymousreply 492August 30, 2020 3:35 AM

Misc thoughts on this thread: For a first reason, Canada's Drag Race ain't bad. Lord knows Season 1 of RPDR was a mess, and the first season of All-Stars hadn't found its footing. UK had some iffy points, too. Overall, I think the show is decent given its the first season.

Re: the judges. JBC's weakness - to me - has come in his affectation, delivery and inflection. He is delivering critique like RuPaul - tongue in cheek, with aplomb or melodramatic emotional distance Ru does. The problem is, it really only works for someone in drag which, by nature, makes what the speaker is saying have a performative hyperbole. A cis man speaking it - even with eyeliner - doesn't read well. It's why Brooke Lynn can offer similar types of critiques but get away with it. Also, it feels like he's trying too hard. Oddly, cis guys - or at least cis gay guys -seem to be most impactful when they are funny or self-deprecating (see Carson, Ross).

I think Brooke Lynn is the only one that actually gets funny lines.

I like Stacy. She's unique and reads as genuine. Sure, some of her critiques are basic but if they are going to go with the three judge structure, you need a more lighthearted, "warm" judge.

Everyone is railing on the caliber of celebs they got, but remember - this is season 1 and RuPaul wasn't on this to help with booking. No celeb knew what they were getting beyond the format and sometimes that's not enough. I predict by Season 2 the Catherine O'Hara's, Dan Levy's, Alanis Morrissette's and Celine Dion's may make an appearance.

Contestant wise: Jimbo remains a fascinating character; I can't tell if his coldness is bitchiness, arrogance or trauma (or all three). As much as I wanted to push Ilona Verley off a building, I appreciate she was herself totally. Priyanka is a producer's dream - gives good confessional and gives the reaction shots they watch. I wish she'd stop screaming, though.

by Anonymousreply 493August 30, 2020 11:56 AM

RuPaul has never managed to land his dream divas as guest judges, no matter how famous he became or how large and appealing his audience. Cher, Diana Ross and Dolly Parton have all refused to guest star on the show. Ru has begged publicly and privately. Dolly and Patti Labelle each did a short remote piece to surprise a contestant. But Cher, Ms. Ross and Dolly will never grace that panel. Gaga, Aguilera, Demi Lovato, Miley, Natalie Cole, Shania, Wynonna, Fantasia and others have all done it. But not the greatest icons of Ru's time. And they won't. They're agents would drug them and lock them in a room. I do expect to see Patti Labelle grace the judging panel one day.

Celine is batshit crazy and LOVES her gays, but she will never appear on a chickenshit show like Season 2 of Canada's Drag Race. She didn't even perform at the opening ceremony of the Vancouver Olympics. I say this as a huge fan of Celine. She has nothing to gain from appearing on such a poorly performed and amateurish show. Get a Grip. We were just enjoying some fantasy yesterday.

Jann Arden and Alanis Morissette you can book for a box lunch and a diet coke.

by Anonymousreply 494August 30, 2020 5:17 PM

R494 Right, but the Poor Manā€™s Celine (Lara Fabian) should be available! And sheā€™d be a good guest because sheā€™s Canadian, sheā€™s bilingual, and she has powerful vocals that would make for a great lip sync.

by Anonymousreply 495August 30, 2020 5:21 PM

Do we know if they filmed each queen winning like they do with RPDR? Or did they actually just pick 1 winner in advance?

by Anonymousreply 496August 30, 2020 5:24 PM

What a boring top three. Hopefully next season they can pick some professional judges and not these wannabes.

Including that stupid woman with the raspy voice. Itā€™s like nails on a chalkboard when they give her important lines.

by Anonymousreply 497August 31, 2020 1:41 AM

I thought JImbo came of fine in that interview - he basically said yes we fought but we are sisters it was all bs and it is over now.

by Anonymousreply 498August 31, 2020 2:28 AM

Agree, R477 - kid I went to school with dated him for a good while, and not a bad thing said about him.

by Anonymousreply 499August 31, 2020 2:36 AM

If there is a second season, I actually think Michelle Visage should be asked to be host and fill the Ru role. I know that in Canada there are production regulations place basically stating that Canadian productions must have a certain amount of Canadian talent, but the show is owned by an American production company. They can keep BLH and Stacey and replace JBC with another Canadian maybe a comedian.

by Anonymousreply 500August 31, 2020 4:53 AM

BLH and Frog Throat need to go too. There needs to be complete recast.

Jennifer Tilly is Canadian. Sheā€™d make a fun host.

by Anonymousreply 501August 31, 2020 12:23 PM

Dan Levy:

ā€”Canadian

ā€”Gay

ā€”Funny

ā€”David Rose was closer to a drag queen than JBC is.

ā€”Was an MTV Canada host before he made Schittā€™s Creekā€”so check for TV hosting experience

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502August 31, 2020 12:29 PM

ā€œFuckable host and judgesā€ is not part of the formula that made Drag Race what it is...

by Anonymousreply 503August 31, 2020 12:30 PM

I went to high school with Jimbo (whose real name is James Insell) at London, Ontario's St. Thomas Aquinas Secondary. We were in the same grade, and we had a few classes together. All I can remember of him was that he was totally shy, and like me, a bit of a loner. He was one of the students I pegged for gay.

by Anonymousreply 504August 31, 2020 4:19 PM

Of the four episodes I've been able to watch on Amazon, Jimbo seems among the most creative and interesting design wise. He has shown some jerky behavior, though, and almost like he is on the spectrum and just doesn't get social dynamics or something. The last episode I watched was the one with the paper/plastic/metal challenge. He refused to compromise at all, and so his two teammates compromised their designs to accommodate his. He didn't seem to appreciate it at all, and after they were dressed down by the judges for it, he not only didn't show any kind of appreciation that they compromised for his sake, but he was critical of their designs as if he were one of the judges. They were supposed to have been a team, and they supported him, and he spoke about them so ungraciously and critically it made me dislike him.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone do that on Drag Race before, completely trash teammates, and especially not after those teammates obviously took a hit because of the one person who just wouldn't play nice. I've seen it on Project Runway, and when Project Runway started emphasizing those sorts of assholes' drama instead of design, I stopped watching.

by Anonymousreply 505August 31, 2020 4:27 PM

Maybe Jimbo is a bit on the spectrum? Unable to empathize with other people's plights?

I'd rather have Catherine O'Hara than Dan Levy. She had all the input of what Moira should wear, and all of it is high end designer stuff. She modeled her character on Daphne Guinness, who is pretty much a female drag queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506August 31, 2020 5:34 PM

R506 I thought Dan Levy micromanaged the entire cast's wardrobe and considered it to be as important as the writing...that's what Annie has said, anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507August 31, 2020 5:38 PM

Hmmm...r507, maybe a bit of both....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508August 31, 2020 5:42 PM

R508 WHOMEVER is behind the Pope outfit deserves an Emmy for best costume design and definitely deserves a guest spot on Drag Race. I just laughed out loud (really) when I saw it...mainly because of the Rapunzel hair.

by Anonymousreply 509August 31, 2020 5:51 PM

Dan Levy hosted on MTV but also three seasons of the Great Canadian Baking Show or whatever that's called where they cook in tents on the lawn? His hosting days are over. He's a writer, a producer and a very annoying actor now.

Regardless. Schitt's Creek is up for 15 Emmy awards and Levy's next project is already sold and in development. Catherine O'Hara is kooky and all, but neither one of them is about to host that little pony and showgirl Drag Race show. O'hara is very awkward as herself. She's not exactly a raconteur. Some people here have big dreams.

Andrea Martin would be a hoot and more game for it. But she's far too old. Rick Mercer would have to come out of the closet to do it. Jann Arden is fun and funny and would in fact be a great host. But she's not really on brand.

Regardless, Jeffrey is fired.

by Anonymousreply 510August 31, 2020 5:56 PM

Luke MacFarlane!!

He's Canadian.

He's gay.

He's at least as sexy as JBC.

He has worked with Sally Field and has spent the last 10 years playing dreamboats on the Hallmark Channel. Is there any more practical way to prepare oneself for Drag Race acting challenges?

Someone call Luke today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511August 31, 2020 6:06 PM

Guys! Also Canadian!

Not gay, but I did play one on TV!

Not very busy lately...call me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512August 31, 2020 6:08 PM

Margaret Atwood and Alice Munro!

Ryan Reynolds has done The Masked Singer in Asia, maybe they could get him for an episode.

by Anonymousreply 513August 31, 2020 7:29 PM

I love Stacey. She's honest and sometimes blunt but never unkind.

by Anonymousreply 514August 31, 2020 7:41 PM

R514 Stacey is my favourite and probably the only judge I'd actually want back. My only issue is that she seems to have received less airtime than BLH and JBC and we haven't gotten to know her as well. But she seems the most sincere and enthused about being there. If there is another season, however, I do suspect they'll bring everyone back. They need a drag queen and Brooke is basically the only Canadian one well known enough with the Drag Race fandom...though Jackie Cox would probably be a better fit IMO. They're not going to get rid of JBC because the bullying it would look bad to fire a POC after he's been being harassed on social media. And Stacey is probably the only well-liked judge on the show. I think the big issue is that they need a permanent host who anchors the panel like Ru. I think the idea of Michelle Visage is actually a good one. Dan Levy would be great but he's not going to do it...he's too big for a bit Canadian reality show.

by Anonymousreply 515August 31, 2020 9:23 PM

R515 Does Dan Levy think heā€™s going to be a Hollywood leading man or something? In what world would be be too big for this show?

by Anonymousreply 516August 31, 2020 9:54 PM

R516 Levy isn't going to be a leading man, he's going to become a Ryan Murphy-esque show creator/runner. He already has a deal with ABC.Studios to create new shows for them. He's definitely not too big to be a guest host/judge, but being a permanent part of the show seems unlikely if he's already making multiple other shows.

by Anonymousreply 517August 31, 2020 10:04 PM

On one hand the judge's panel is missing something without Ru as the anchor, but on the other hand I get a kick out of the guest judges getting to sissy down the runway to "Covergirl," introduce the panel, and announce the LSFYL. Miss Deborah Cox and Miss Mary Walsh are my favorites so far.

by Anonymousreply 518August 31, 2020 10:10 PM

Jeffrey could be repurposed as an acting coach and director, maybe. Even though he canā€™t act from what Iā€™ve seen, he is technically an actor.

As I was writing that I almost wrote ā€œdemoted from host,ā€ but he isnā€™t the host, is he? Brooke has been slotted into the RuPaul center-chair hosting position. Maybe the producers were thinking Jeffrey is the sidekick and so they scripted him to say mean things as if he is Michelle Visage?

by Anonymousreply 519August 31, 2020 10:17 PM

Dan Levy being a non binary male on the cusp of transitioning to female would be a problematic host. Some one on this site is obsessed with him though. Dan is just OK. The faces he pulls and the constant whiny irony are not a good fit for Drag Race. And the cowl neck sweaters and librarian pearls that he favors. Trust me, he'll never appear. He was asked to judge on the REAL drag race and turned it down, more than once.

by Anonymousreply 520August 31, 2020 10:38 PM

R510 Rick Mercer came out almost a decade ago.

Stacey is the only judge I really like, but she is horrible at reading a teleprompter. Anytime they have her read written lines, itā€™s painful.

by Anonymousreply 521August 31, 2020 10:58 PM

Oā€™Hara has excellent taste. She ended up marrying the production designer from some of Tim Burtonā€™s most visually imaginative movies. I always thought that was cool.

by Anonymousreply 522August 31, 2020 10:58 PM

Dude, I know Rick Mercer came out. But he hasn't come out. It was a joke. Rick Mercer ain't interested in the faggier aspects of being gay. That was kind of my point R521. There's always some old bore on here - just waiting to correct posts he can't understand.

by Anonymousreply 523August 31, 2020 11:09 PM

R519 So, the rumour is that the original idea was to have Brooke as the official host, but Ru rejected the idea. Allegedly Ru doesn't like the idea of a former contestant "replacing him." As for Dan Levy, he started out as a host so he'd be great in the role, but I think he's now entirely focused on acting, writing and producing.

by Anonymousreply 524September 1, 2020 12:06 AM

Dan Levy is non/binary/transitioning. His next project is a fictionalized feel good show, all about that. YUCK. Ru would not approve. RuPaul has never had ANY other Drag Queen sit on the judges panel with him. EVER. And he won't.

This has been discussed many times. Not even Lady Bunny has been allowed to sit next to ancient RuPaul. Never mind his likely successors - Alaska, Bob or Bianca Del Rio.

by Anonymousreply 525September 1, 2020 12:13 AM

R525 Do you have any evidence at all that Levy is ā€˜transitioningā€™? The David Rose character was described as pansexual and he definitely was gender noncomforming.

That was a character. I have never seen any photos or videos in which Levy, as himself, presented as anything but male.

He posts photos of himself to Instagram. Thatā€™s a window into how he views himself. All photos of him that are not in the character of David look straightforwardly male, and he usually even has a 5:00 shadow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526September 1, 2020 12:21 AM

You already have a thread about this "Frenchie." Dan is Non Binary. And soon you will realize. Some of us already know. He will be announcing it with his next project. Who the fuck cares? He's a tedious dude. Non binary people don't see facial or chest hair as obstacles that restrict them from feeling girly that day. Because they live in a fantasy that more and more people go along with....to reject biology and muddle the truth of their own bodies.

Get over yourself you fucking LOON, aka R526. I can smell your desperation from here. Dan Levy don't want you. He wants to wear pearls and stroke his nipples through the ribs of his oversized cowl neck sweater.

He ain't right for Drag Race. He ain't for men either.

by Anonymousreply 527September 1, 2020 1:12 AM

Iā€™m at the point where Iā€™d rather have Rick the Temp as a judge than JBC. Obviously the show canā€™t get rid of Brooke Lynn and JBC without massive blowback. I just canā€™t think of a comedian they could add to lighten things up. Sabrina Jalees was a guest this previous episode... which reminds me of Video on Trial, is there no unemployed comedian from that show available!?!? Furthermore weā€™re there no gay MychMusic VJs?!? There has to be someone out there who can make the panel less dreary!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528September 1, 2020 6:22 AM

Jay Manuel. Handsome, nice, TV and fashion savvy, GAY. Rolls eyes in a bitchy way. Born in Scarborough.

by Anonymousreply 529September 1, 2020 6:29 AM

Mister Jay. Better than ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530September 1, 2020 6:39 AM

Iā€™d support Jay Manuel. He always seemed professional and likable overall on ANTM, although he didnā€™t suffer fools other than boss Tyra and would let contestants know when they were wearing his patience thin. He was kind of a Michelle Visage type, albeit less of a drag queen than she is. Plus, he wears makeup kind of in the way they tried to paint Jeffrey, except successfully.

by Anonymousreply 531September 1, 2020 12:09 PM

R528, there will be very little blowback if they fire JBC and Port Authority. They are universally hated among casual fans and Reddit lunatics, although the latter are pretending to support JBC now that he got bullied off Twitter, but they hated him before that.

I donā€™t think theyā€™ll return, nor will that frog throated blob whose voice is like nails on a chalkboard and devoid of any color every time she has to make an announcement.

by Anonymousreply 532September 1, 2020 1:04 PM

R528 Rick Campanelli, aka Rick the Temp, is available actually. His contract with ET Canada wasn't renewed a few years ago (the industry way of saying he was canned so the network could make changes) and really hasn't been doing much of anything since.

R532 Look, JBC is horrible on the show but he didn't deserve the vitriol thrown at him. I think his biggest mistake was that he was trying to be "Ru" rather than just being himself. Like he is gay but he was trying too hard to appear gay on camera...I don't know if that makes any sense. Personally, I think he and Crave will "make a mutual decision" for him not to return if there's another season.

by Anonymousreply 533September 1, 2020 3:27 PM

Yes, Jeffrey is basically doing a season-long Snatch Game impersonation of RuPaul minus the drag. His impersonation is as poor as 90 percent of Snatch Game impersonations. It's embarrassing. I suspect he probably has been directed to do this as a way of trying to compensate for RuPaul's missing sensibility and spirit.

And he's been mean on top of that. And for me, that's the deal breaker. I've followed him on InstaGram for quite a while now, honestly, because his smile is just so pretty. He just has such a pretty face. And so many of his posts are power-of-positive-thinking types of messages. So to see him act like such a jerk when his IG personality is all rainbows and sunshine has totally turned me off to him. If the production has made him act this way, then I feel sorry for him because it sure as hell has done damage to his public image.

by Anonymousreply 534September 1, 2020 3:32 PM

The problem is JBC's highschool mean-girl delivery. Ru and Michelle come across as parents pushing their kids not to disappoint them. JBC sounds like someone talking shit in the cafeteria.

Still, he didn't deserve the hate. It's a freaking reality show about men and dresses and he was just trying to be an entertaining judge. It's really not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 535September 1, 2020 4:20 PM

The problem is JBC's highschool mean-girl delivery. Ru and Michelle come across as parents pushing their kids not to disappoint them. JBC sounds like someone talking shit in the cafeteria.

Still, he didn't deserve the hate. It's a freaking reality show about men and dresses and he was just trying to be an entertaining judge. It's really not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 536September 1, 2020 4:20 PM

It's only a big deal to one person, R536, and that's Jeffrey. It's unfortunate.

I wonder if RuPaul has the hiring and firing authority. He seemed devastated by the poor reception and cancellation of A.J. and the Queen. He was fired and it hurt him. So I wonder if he has the emotional wherewithal to fire Jeffrey, the kid she selected to mentor and to be a sort of heir to him. I don't think he does. Look how he has carried Michelle Visage and been a reliable cash cow for her over the years. That's not to disparage her; Michelle is very good at being his sidekick, but he is the vehicle and she is the sidecar. And he hasn't given her up. So I would guess that either a) he'd hope that Jeffrey will be gracious and offer to leave the show 'to pursue other projects,' and Ru can feign wanting to keep him but not wanting to clip his wings; or b) he'll work with producers to repurpose Jeffrey in a modified role.

Besides Jeffrey just coming across as a mean girl, he seems to have been very well trained as an on-camera personality to understand that his smile is his fortune and to show it off at every single opportunity. When he's saying mean things and then flashing a giant smile, the effect is cold and a little unnerving.

The way he has delivered his comments has made me think of Donna Karan's comments about Weinstein. Besides just defending him, which alone would have gotten her in trouble with the public, she gave this terrifying forced smile that added a really disturbing dimension.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537September 1, 2020 4:37 PM

Michelle has been venturing out and judging other shows- Glow Up S2 and DRUK (I don't even remember who the judges were), but they were one offs. I doubt if she wants to live in Canada for 3 months, and how she could work that in the regular US RPDR and RPDRAS seasons.

I still stand by the judging on DRThailand- they definitely were the big sisters wanting to improve the contestants, and did it with sternness with great snark. It will be interesting to see the Holland version coming up, and how they handle judging. I'm sure that Nikki Tutorials will be a guest judge, and I think she'll be a good one.

by Anonymousreply 538September 1, 2020 4:49 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539September 1, 2020 4:58 PM

R539 I don't know what it was like on set, but I didn't hate the kind in the show at all. I thought she was good at playing an angry, evil little brat pretty believably for a kid actor.

As a viewer, I have to tell you that RuPaul and the guy who played his blind friend and the Russian whore mother pulled their own. Jane Krakowski played her normal character well, of course. Tia Carrere was...she was something for a professional actor.

The drag queens who 'acted' in the show, though? I mean...if you're going to call the kid who played AJ a poor actor, what's the excuse for the adults who turned in sub-Afterschool Special quality performances?

by Anonymousreply 540September 1, 2020 5:03 PM

R538 Michelle wouldn't need to come to Canada for three months, they should an entire seasons of Drag Race in less than a month. Each "Week" is actually two days of filming: sometimes it's three days for larger challenges. Canada's Drag Race shot in Hamilton, Ontario from November 4th to December 1st, 2019.

R537 I believe Ru was upset because he's been trying to build his brand and move away from Drag Race and it hasn't gone well. The talk show he launched last summer for a three week test run was never picked up, and then AJ and the Queen got cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 541September 2, 2020 5:46 AM

Because let's face it, Ru just isn't easy to look at out of drag. He made his career out of being a drag queen -- "Supermodel of the World" -- so that's what we're used to.

AJ was awful, I really wanted to like it. But the writing was bad and OMG THAT KID.

by Anonymousreply 542September 2, 2020 1:19 PM

Here's the issue with Ru, he's become way too serious in recent years and he's boring out of drag. If you watch the early seasons of Drag Race and compare them to more recent seasons, there is a marked difference. He's gone from campy and caring, to a mix of "zen" and collecting a check. His talk show was boring as fuck, he was trying too hard to be like Oprah and it just didn't work. Ru is many thing, but an intellectual is not one of them. AJ and the Queen had potential but it was terribly written and Ru doesn't have the acting chops to carry a show on his own. Also, Netflix did very little to promote it though that could have been because it was a clunker to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 543September 2, 2020 5:16 PM

Ru's talk show was also shitty because the guests were all D list. A host of America's Ninja Warrior? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 544September 2, 2020 8:11 PM

I'm calling it: Priyanka will win. She has out trended both Scarlett and Rita on social media. In fact as of this morning, #TeamPriyanka is trending on Canadian Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 545September 3, 2020 3:58 PM

r545, Shea Coulee is rooting for her.

by Anonymousreply 546September 3, 2020 4:04 PM

Yup! Priyanka also has double the number of followers on Instagram than the other two. Jimbo actually has the most followers of the season.

by Anonymousreply 547September 3, 2020 4:13 PM

Priyanka is the fan favorite of the final three, but since when does that matter? There is a long history of the winner not being the one who is most popular on social media.

by Anonymousreply 548September 3, 2020 4:40 PM

Piryanka is the winner.

by Anonymousreply 549September 4, 2020 3:06 AM

Rita Baga's final look was so bad it probably cost her the crown

by Anonymousreply 550September 4, 2020 8:20 AM

Bobo had the best lip sync, but Priyanka's final look was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 551September 4, 2020 1:09 PM

They also had an ad for RPDR Holland with the announcer saying, "And new judges!". Lol. Poor Jeffrey.

by Anonymousreply 552September 4, 2020 1:13 PM

No fan favorite??

by Anonymousreply 553September 4, 2020 2:14 PM

Maybe they'll save that for a reunion show? Although it seems they had a mini one at the end.

by Anonymousreply 554September 4, 2020 2:21 PM

Priyanka deserved it, IN the end. Whether she should have made it that far is a different story. I just rewatched Season 8 of Rupaul's Drag Race and Bob was so terrible in so many ways. As a drag queen I believe he was the worst in fashion and makeup to ever make it to the top 3. But he was also a clear winner in that bleak season of Acid Betty and Kim Chi and Naomi Smalls. I still can't believe they eliminated Chi Chi in fourth place - not when Kim Chi failed that final challenge. Fresh in my mind. Every contestant lacks something. Prinkanka made it to the end and she won that last show. One of the most beautiful looks ever on Drag Race. Although it was a richly designed garment with a theme - it was also very free and beautiful. She looked incredible and she won that final challenge. I'm not new - I realize that Drag Race is notoriously predestined, but the final three were judged fairly in my opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555September 5, 2020 12:20 AM

R550 I agree, but that's not why she lost the Crown though. As they do with American Drag Race, they filmed each queen winning. The final decision is made a day or two before the finale airs and it's based on fan reaction on Twitter. Piryanka has over double the followers on IG of the other two queens and #TeamPiryanka had been trending on Canadian twitter for three days prior to the finale.

R554 There is no reunion show. Only 10 episodes were ordered and the finale was episode 10. This season was a trial run because they didn't know what kind of reaction the show was going to get. That's why the finale was not filmed in front of an audience like the American versions has done for years now.

Given that the show is the most watched show on Crave TV (the Canadian streaming service it airs on) it's likely a second season is going to happen but there has been no announcement yet.

by Anonymousreply 556September 5, 2020 2:36 AM

so how can everyone act surprised that they have to do a final lipsync, when it is announced that they all were told to learn the lines to such-and-such song? Both Rita and Bobo had tear away dresses for stage movement as well. Didn't Priyanka get the memo?

by Anonymousreply 557September 5, 2020 10:21 AM

I'm sure she did r557, but decided to serve emotion instead. And she won despite it. Or maybe because of it.

by Anonymousreply 558September 5, 2020 1:02 PM

r556 is correct about the finale. Here is Priyanka at a club viewing the finale when the winner is announced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559September 5, 2020 6:26 PM

R557 I think the shock was because it was a 3way lipsync. In the first 3 seasons of Drag Race, whoever was in 3rd would just be eliminated by the Judges and then the final 2 would lipsync. But obviously it hasn't been that way for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 560September 5, 2020 6:33 PM

It's official, Season 2 is casting and will air later this year. No word about the judges yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561January 7, 2021 4:09 PM

Here;s the official press release. I says nothing about the judges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562January 7, 2021 4:36 PM

So, since I got the WOW app on my FireTv to watch DRUK, I decided to watch the Canada version. Iā€™m not reading this thread because I donā€™t want to be spoiled! Jimbo is my favorite, mainly because I think heā€™s really cute out of drag. I like those tall, lean, indie types. I donā€™t think he is the type of queen to win a Drag Race. I also like Priyanka and the queen from Quebec...Rita? Iā€™m only on episode 3.

by Anonymousreply 563February 23, 2021 3:55 AM

[quote]If there is a second season, I actually think Michelle Visage should be asked to be host and fill the Ru role. I know that in Canada there are production regulations place basically stating that Canadian productions must have a certain amount of Canadian talent, but the show is owned by an American production company.

I thought Bell Media/Crave bought the rights outright.

by Anonymousreply 564June 3, 2021 9:42 PM

R564 Yes, Bell Media bought the right, though World of Wonder retains overall ownership of the Drag Race brand itself. CDR was largely subsidized by the Canadian Television Fund. Basically the amount production companies are eligible for depends on the amount of Canadian content. Having an American host the show would likely drastically effect how much money CDR would be entitled to. I believe this is the primary reason Ru doesn't host this version but hosts all the other English speaking versions. That being said, the first season was a hit for Crave and so they will probably get access to funding easier this time and they could in theory probably get away with having Michelle host.

by Anonymousreply 565June 4, 2021 3:32 AM

Speaking of this show, I live in Hamilton and I've heard the show started filming season 2 right after the may 24 holiday.

by Anonymousreply 566June 4, 2021 3:47 AM

I'm just watching this now. The judges are great - love that the critiques are unsparing.

by Anonymousreply 567October 11, 2022 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!