Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Canada's Drag Race

Let's discuss the girls, eh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30720 hours ago

The cast is pretty decent. I like Jimbo.

The judging panel is atrocious. Brooke Lynn is no RuPaul, and the critiques were just nasty and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 107/04/2020

I agree, R1. The panelists are humorless.

by Anonymousreply 207/04/2020

Somehow, they look colder!

by Anonymousreply 307/04/2020

As a western Canadian I feel obligated to root for the 2 BC queens. Damn regionalism. 😬

by Anonymousreply 407/04/2020

I was glad to see the judges being harsh, regular Drag Race judging has become way too soft and lazy.

Jimbo seems like a true Tammy Brown-level weirdo. Hoping he goes far.

by Anonymousreply 507/04/2020

i love jimbo and boa. i thought the judges reeked.

by Anonymousreply 607/04/2020

I live Jimbo (absolutely Tammy Brown), Lemon, Boa and Scarlett bobo so far.

it's kind of uncanny how every contestant makes me think of a rpdr contestant. one looks like Yvie Oddly, one like Mayhem etc

by Anonymousreply 707/04/2020

The critiques were pretty harsh, but I prefer a judge like Stacey Mackenzie to some idiot like Ross Matthews.

Also, what's with the lighting, why does everyone look yellow?

by Anonymousreply 807/04/2020

Oh and Elisha Cuthbert was surprisingly not bad as a judge! I was pleasantly surprised with her.

by Anonymousreply 907/04/2020

r5, if you want to see real judging, watch Drag Race Thailand. Both seasons are way better than the pap we have here, contestants and judges. It's a shame that they didn't get picked up for season 3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1007/04/2020

Colder? Even the PA was wearing a coat...guess the studio was a bit chilly...

I love JBC but...looks like he's been eating well and that turtleneck jacket combo was doing him no favor when they first entered the workroom!

I'll keep watching but some of these contestants seem like shrill knockoffs of RPDR

by Anonymousreply 1107/05/2020

Who is the handsome guy in OP’s pic?

Wait

Is that a female in drag?

by Anonymousreply 1207/05/2020

OMFG Jimbo. His entrance was hands down the best short of Laganja - "Now I am going to spin in a circle." And his eleganza look was so well done. I think he is the Jinx of the season, underestimated. - the queen with the attitude about BOA doing better than her...I would have smacked the shit out of her.

by Anonymousreply 1307/05/2020

Yes, I think he may turn out to be more Jinkx than Tammie. At least I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 1407/05/2020

I’m tired of queens thinking that “living in New York for an unspecified amount of time” is a replacement for a personality.

For someone who went to Alvin Ailey on a full scholarship, Lemon’s lip sync was completely unimpressive.

by Anonymousreply 1507/05/2020

Something about Jimbo really creeps me out But yeah, at least he's interesting to watch. I agree that its an interesting cast of queens. So far, Lemon and the French-speaking one are my favs. I didn't notice the judges being mean, but I did think it was weird that they let the blonde guest judge woman do the catwalk intro/announcing bits that Rupaul would normally do. Brooklyn has a quiet/cold demeanor so they should have cast judges that come across differently to balance it out. Also the pit crew guys were generic hot dancer types, when they could have played up the Canadian cliche of hot bearded lumberjack type & other Canadian cliches. Missed a trick there. Maybe out gay Canadian actor Luke Macfarlane would have a turn as guest judge? A boy can dream :P

And I absolutely agree with r10 Drag Race Thailand had the best judging - the judges put REAL effort into their looks, some brilliantly witty & bitchy comments from them. Absolutely blast to watch compared to the snoozefest that the main Dragrace is becoming.

by Anonymousreply 1607/05/2020

I tried to watch Drag Race Thailand but the sound of Thai being spoken felt like having spikes jammed into my bleeding ear canal and I had to give up.

by Anonymousreply 1707/05/2020

Arisa Cox from Big Brother Canada would have made a great judge.

by Anonymousreply 1807/05/2020

Agree that Elisha Cuthbert acting like Ru and doing the announcements was weird, but my theory is Ru was SUPPOSED to guest on the first one and do those parts, but cancelled at the last minute so they scrambled.

Any idea why Ru is not involved with this?

That all said, agree that the judges are humorless. Humor has to underline all critiques and interactions - that's as much part of drag culture as make up.

by Anonymousreply 1907/05/2020

Are Canadians, in general, circumsized (The way Americans are)?

by Anonymousreply 2007/05/2020

r19 Maybe Rupaul is too busy/scheduling issues, or maybe just didn't want to do it. She's getting on in years, gotta slow down at some point

by Anonymousreply 2107/05/2020

Jimbo reminds me of that Clown in AHS Freakshow.

by Anonymousreply 2207/05/2020

Well this is definitely more fun and interesting than the current All-Stars. Right now most of the queens are a bit of blur to me, except the creepy clown one who I kinda love. She had me literally LOLing during the photo shoot challenge.

The judges are charming but I found their critiques too vague and a bit try-hard. Not sure there's a lot of wit on this panel but we'll see.

JBC is fine as hell no matter how many Timbits he's had.

by Anonymousreply 2307/05/2020

LMAO, R17. I’m tired of people trying to legitimize that show as canon. It’s not going to happen. No one wants to read Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 2407/05/2020

I kind of like the idea of the guest judge doing the runway introductions. Brooke Lynn Hytes hasn’t earned that right and she really couldn’t deliver the Ru lines she was already given.

by Anonymousreply 2507/05/2020

Brook Lynn still reminds me of Scott Thompson of Kids in the hall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2607/05/2020

Is it airing in the US?

by Anonymousreply 2707/05/2020

On the Wow Presents Plus app, R27.

by Anonymousreply 2807/05/2020

R20. No. And neither are Americans as much as they were.

by Anonymousreply 2907/05/2020

I knew that hefty one with the obnoxious oversized bull ring was going to be annoying when she 'came out' as a "ingenious two spirit". All she had to offer were stale catchphrases from past seasons of Drag Race. Embarrassing, empty headed dullard.

by Anonymousreply 3007/05/2020

Hon, the fact that you apparently can't handle subtitles is embarassing and not a thing you should admit r24.

by Anonymousreply 3107/05/2020

meh.

by Anonymousreply 3207/05/2020

I loved the first episode, it was refreshing compared to the tired US Drag Race. Jimbo's first look was scary, and I'm not even scared of clowns. Was he wearing black contacts or are his eyes just a pitch black abyss? The judges were catty and excellent.

by Anonymousreply 3307/05/2020

R20 Up until the late 1980s, the circumcision rate in Canada was roughly around 65%. During the 1990s, the rate began to rapidly. As of 2103, only 30% of newborn males in Canada are circumcised compared to about 60% in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3407/05/2020

So, just watched the first episode today. I love the Queens, there is an enthusiasm that I think recent seasons of Drag Race have lacked, not to mention better editing. That being said, the judging is HORRIBLE. If the series is picked up for a second season, they need to redo the panel.

R19 Ru does the video messages and commentary all season, and allegedly does appear in the finale. Michelle Visage is also a guest host this season. The rumor is that basically Ru is just collecting a the money for the international versions (minus drag race UK) to allow them to use his name. He is also not appearing in Drag Race Australia.

by Anonymousreply 3507/05/2020

[quote]the judging is HORRIBLE. If the series is picked up for a second season, they need to redo the panel.

Why don't they hire someone with a real connection to this world, like Nico Tortorella?

by Anonymousreply 3607/06/2020

Even Canada hates Nico.

by Anonymousreply 3707/06/2020

Honestly, they need a comedian. The perfect judging panel brings star power (Ru), comedy (Carson/Ross) and precision/no bullshit (Michelle) with a good, light rapport between them.

by Anonymousreply 3807/06/2020

THe three judges seemed packaged and forced. Hopefully, they'll relax into it as the show progresses.

by Anonymousreply 3907/06/2020

R38 You're right, they're all pretty humourless. I can't think of a gay Canadian comedian who'd be right for the judging panel though. There's Gavin Crawford, but he's in the clutches of the CBC.

by Anonymousreply 4007/06/2020

Did I mention Nico Tortorella?

by Anonymousreply 4107/06/2020

OOh Drag Race Oz should be fun- Aussies love to take the piss out of people, including themselves. I've been watching, "I Like to Watch with The Vivienne and Baga Chipz, and they're hilarious:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4207/06/2020

R38 Yeah they need some one funny and people with personalities. Stacey has some potential but Brooklyn and Jeffrey are dead weight. The issue is, Canada's entertainment industry is so small and because we lack a star system, most of the first rate talent ultimately moved to the US. So we have such a small pool of talent and an even smaller pool of queer talent. Anyone know what Dan Levy is doing? He'd be great as the host.

by Anonymousreply 4307/06/2020

Are there any people that are HUGE in Canada that the US doesn't really know about/follow? It's so bonkers to me that Canada is the population of NYC x 4 yet its got more land than the US.

by Anonymousreply 4407/06/2020

Cause all lot of Canadian land is uninhabitable tundra right? That's why almost all of the population lives near the border.

by Anonymousreply 4507/06/2020

Please god let Karen from Finance be on RPDR OZ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4607/06/2020

[quote] Are Canadians, in general, circumsized (The way Americans are)?

The French ones aren't.

by Anonymousreply 4707/06/2020

[Quote] they're all pretty humorless.

BINGO!

by Anonymousreply 4807/06/2020

R47 That's a bit of a myth. I am French Canadian and live in Montreal. Circumcision was the norm here due to the influence of the church until the mid to late 1980s. After 1990, the rates dropped drastically and since the 2000s, very few hospitals in Quebec even allow them unless it's for religious purposes. I would say more than half of men over the age of 35 in Quebec are cut. In fact, the gossip is Justin and his brothers were cut.

by Anonymousreply 4907/06/2020

R49 +1 for French Canadian guys - hung like bulls, fuck like animals and kiss like they love you.

by Anonymousreply 5007/07/2020

R19 The rumor is that Ru did not want to pass the torch to Brooklyn because he didn’t like the idea of one of his contestants hosting their own show, so they came up with the three co-host.

Still think it is odd that the guest judge seems to get so much screentime.

by Anonymousreply 5107/07/2020

I was very disappointed that Rupaul did Whiteface at the judging table.

by Anonymousreply 5207/07/2020

R49 and R50 I went to Concordia and lives in Montreal for 5 years. I loved the city thought it was way too fucking cold in the winter. The men there are ridiculously hot. And R50 yeah, they are usually well endowed, great in bed, and also have great asses. They won the genetic lottery.

by Anonymousreply 5307/07/2020

R44 Closest thing might be tv personalities (examples would be Don Cherry, Rick Campanelli and Ben Mulroney). They're not really huge, but they are recognizable.

by Anonymousreply 5407/07/2020

Jimbo is hawt hawt hawt! How likely is that he’s into doughy Latinos?

by Anonymousreply 5507/07/2020

The right person went home. Surprisingly, she was very gracious about it.

by Anonymousreply 5607/09/2020

The challenge was lacklustre, but I have to give it to them for doing Heritage Minutes. I loved the idea, even if the execution wasn't great.

LOVE the Stars on 54 version of "If You Could Read My Mind." It was *always* on MuchMusic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5707/09/2020

the judging panel in ep2 - so bland. And that guest judge, z list actor. No! Rupaul must be so petty to not let Brooklyn have the catwalk moment and main announcing that she does. it's just odd without it. I hope the aussie Drag Race doesnt do it like the Canadian version.

by Anonymousreply 5807/09/2020

jimbo is great!

by Anonymousreply 5907/09/2020

The girl who stayed has absolutely nothing to offer and I think we all know how that happened. Kyne at least brought drama and did a better job in the lip sync.

by Anonymousreply 6007/10/2020

Good lord those skits were awful.

As a Z-list gay Canadian actor, I have never been more angry at my agent.

by Anonymousreply 6107/10/2020

R59=Jimbo

by Anonymousreply 6207/10/2020

Jimbo is definitely a stand out from the cast. If Jimbo can do the challenges well then I think she can win. But maybe I'm over rating her. I just find her drag interesting. I like when queens don't always try to look fishy which to me gets boring.

by Anonymousreply 6307/10/2020

The guest host is typecast as a fae- what is he, 5" tall?

I think Jimbo is like Jujubee in the aspect that it's fun, not dangerously serious about it, and let us in on the game with him. I'm sure at one point they're going to ask him to do a pretty glam look, like Alaska or Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 6407/10/2020

Jimbo is rotted but in a good way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6507/10/2020

r61 that fae actor guest judge, he isn't even the lead actor on that crappy cancelled show, Shadowhuners. He isn't even a part of the gay pairing thats on it. He's a guest star that's barely on it, barely has any lines. Surely Canada can do better >.>

by Anonymousreply 6607/10/2020

Really, R60? I thought they would keep Kyne for the drama but there's no way she won that lip sync. She knew it too when she tried to calm down Tynomi during her panic attack ("I'm about to go home. This is my moment OK").

Speaking of, that's 2 for 2 so far with panic attacks on the runway. While it's marginally more tolerable than the outrageous or lame runway excuses we regularly see on the US show, I've had it - officially! No more of that for the rest of the season, please and thank you.

by Anonymousreply 6707/10/2020

WHO WAS KICKED OUT?

by Anonymousreply 6807/10/2020

R67 Canadian queens are more sensitive. Look how they walk the runway... too shy and humble to own it. It’s not naturally in our nature

by Anonymousreply 6907/10/2020

Jimbo does "Barbie Girl"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7007/10/2020

R67, I wouldn’t say she “won” the lip sync but she did better than Tynomi, who was doing a half assed version of the same lip sync we’ve seen for over ten years. But Kyne is the wrong color in “person of color” so Tynomi is free to keep coming back and only having to accomplish 20% of what the other girls are expected to.

by Anonymousreply 7107/10/2020

r71 I think Tynomi did better at the lip-sync she hit all the nuances of the song. Kyne was boring.

by Anonymousreply 7207/10/2020

R71 get a grip!! Tynomi will go next week. Kyne would have went next week if she stayed also. Maybe Tynomi just relies on voguing but her performance was certainly more varied and eye catching.

by Anonymousreply 7307/10/2020

Where can it be viewed in the US?

by Anonymousreply 7407/10/2020

You are wasting your breath. That poster has already decided that the only reason Tynomi was kept is because she is one of those blacks and nothing will convince them otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 7507/10/2020

Legally r74? You are supposed to watch it on Wow's website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7607/10/2020

Tynomi sounds like a multiple sclerosis treatment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7707/10/2020

It’s also yet another variation on Tyra Banks and Naomi Campbell

by Anonymousreply 7807/10/2020

I just watch it {not on WOW} and it was dull but thank god that exhausting fugly no talent is gone!!!

by Anonymousreply 7907/10/2020

At least Kyne brought some drama. There is not one inch of Tynomi that isn’t a tired cliche we haven’t seen a thousand times before by people with actual talent.

by Anonymousreply 8007/10/2020

As far as the drama not sure any drag race can top "I was shot three times and drove myself to the er."

by Anonymousreply 8107/10/2020

[Quote] At least Kyne brought some drama.

Sure but it wasn't good drama.

by Anonymousreply 8207/10/2020

Kyne is a social media queen aka a look queen. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 8307/10/2020

Kyne’s not going to go far or win the show but she at least brought something. I’d rather one more week of her delusional arrogance than nothingness from Nyra Campbanks.

by Anonymousreply 8407/10/2020

[Quote] but she at least brought something.

Sure

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8507/10/2020

[R70] Jimbo’s Barbie Girl is fantastic! Thanks for posting.

Just watched both episodes and I can’t understand why they have the guest host (nobody has heard of) do all the important announcing. Completely strips Brooke of authority, the look on her face while the guest is announcing the runway is cringe. It’s to humiliate her I guess? Disjointed continuity.

by Anonymousreply 8607/10/2020

Ask your doctor if Tynomi is right for you.

by Anonymousreply 8707/10/2020

Jimbo's video is hilarious. He would make a terrific Vampira or any Tim Burton femme fetale.

by Anonymousreply 8807/10/2020

Boring episode. Or maybe I've just got Drag Race fatigue?

by Anonymousreply 8907/10/2020

I am so enjoying Canada drag race. so much.

by Anonymousreply 9007/10/2020

[quote]Jimbo's video is hilarious. He would make a terrific Vampira or any Tim Burton femme fetale.

He's sort of like Nina West as a [italic]Dragula[/italic] contestant.

by Anonymousreply 9107/10/2020

I adore Jimbo. She’s the one to beat.

by Anonymousreply 9207/10/2020

the last ep was boring but maybe not to Canadians? I didn't get the whole lesson thing and Kyne was a terrible performer. If you can't do a death drop or splits at least fucking emote the song.

by Anonymousreply 9307/10/2020

[Quote] I didn't get the whole lesson thing and Kyne was a terrible performer.

Agree. Kyne throws a fit like a child and that's considered show "drama?" Cunt, please.

by Anonymousreply 9407/10/2020

THE LIBRARY IS OPEN!

US: Girrrrl, you apply your makeup with a spackle knife to try to cover that ugly-ass mess of a face, but it’s the ugliness of your momma’s rotten soul you inherited from her that makes your face so ugly, so give it up, gurrrrrrl!

Canada: Girl, you...don’t push in your chair when you leave the dinner table! You are very discourteous! *awkward snap*

I haven’t seen the Canadian version. Am I close?

by Anonymousreply 9507/11/2020

R91, don’t compare Jimbo to season eleven filler.

by Anonymousreply 9607/11/2020

r96 Nina was hardly a filler. Granted she lost a lip-sync to a dancing sack of potatoes but Nina is probably the one who came out of that season with the most star power after Vanjie

by Anonymousreply 9707/11/2020

So Jimbo can look more "draggy":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9807/11/2020

And surprisingly handsome with facial hair:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9907/11/2020

I don't see how that's any of your business!

by Anonymousreply 10007/11/2020

I like Nina West. No, she's not a look queen, and she's semi-cancelled for sucking up to Meghan McCain, but I think she's a good entertainer.

by Anonymousreply 10107/11/2020

LOL at R95. Canadians think the hockey gays on [italic]Letterkenny[/italic] are what is meant by "reading."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10207/11/2020

I watched the video at R102 and have absolutely no fucking idea what was happening or what was said

by Anonymousreply 10307/11/2020

R103 People keep trying to make fetch happen!

That video keeps popping up on this site. I think it is supposed to be some kind of parody showing gay guys intimidating and bullying straight guys at a gym in some sort of role reversal, but...it doesn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 10407/11/2020

R104 this is most Canadian TV. Awkward, stilted writing and acting, bad pacing and thick Canadian accents. We don’t like it either

by Anonymousreply 10507/12/2020

Had no idea who that guest host was (had to IMDB.com him) but damn he was cute!

(Yes I live in the very non-ethnic midwest)

by Anonymousreply 10607/12/2020

Jimbo is one of the most entertaining queens in any version of Drag Race. Overall, awkward as expected. Still better than the UK version and way better then the current dogshit US all-stars.

by Anonymousreply 10707/12/2020

Jimbo is indeed a Canadian Tammie Brown, but one that will actually follow direction and listen to the judges.

Can't wait to see him start winning challenges. He probably came within a wig hair of winning last week's challenge.

by Anonymousreply 10807/12/2020

Oh god, I love Jimbo's Cameos:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10907/13/2020

JImbo is not Tammy Brown - Tammy was just fucking crazy - Jimbo knows what he is doing - He is more Jinx than Tammy.

by Anonymousreply 11007/13/2020

Truth r110.

People forget that Tammy sucked at every challenge, Jimbo is not the same at all.

by Anonymousreply 11107/13/2020

I also enjoy these queens and the early seasons feel of the show, but CHRIST, those judges.

I found that Jeffrey dude kind of charming in doses on the US version, but he comes across as one of those gay guys who femmes it up for no reason... awkwardly attaching “honey” and “yass” to sentences when it doesn’t seem to come naturally to him.

Brooklyn remains charisma-free.

There wasn’t some gay from Much or a leftover from MTV Canada to host?

by Anonymousreply 11207/13/2020

Ru wasn't interested in hosting this version, but she wanted to keep the door open so she could host future versions if it was a success, like DRUK was. It would look bad for Ru to boot someone as host in season two, so they went with this "guest star as host" method, which would allow Ru to slip into the host seat with no friction in season 2 if it's a hit.

Plus, I think her ego is to big to allow Brooklyn to be the first Ru girl to take over a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 11307/13/2020

R113 I bet Ru has some skeletons in his closet preventing him from even entering Canada. Maybe he has a DUI we don't know about!!!

by Anonymousreply 11407/13/2020

Okay, the second episode was a bit boring and the acting in those skits was terrible! The Queen's are fine overall, but the judging is the real problem with the show. They have zero presence and this week, Jeffrey was simply doing a [bad] RuPaul impression.

R113 Ru is also not doing the Australian version of the show, so I don't think it's a question of Ru keeping the door open rather more to do with time and money. UK Drag Race was being done for the BBC and the UK is a larger market. The Canadian version is being produced for a streaming service and is not airing on TV here. I live in Toronto and there was rumour that Ru appears in the finale, however, I've also heard it's Michelle who crowns the winner so, we'll see.

by Anonymousreply 11507/13/2020

R115 Ru did the UK version because he and Michelle had been pushing the idea for years. The Canadian and Australian versions are basically just money grabs for Ru. When the Canadian version was announced last fall, it was always intended that the show wouldn't have a set host rather the three judges would be a combined set of hosts. What I did forget was that Traci Melchor was originally going play the part of "Squirrel Friend." She was supposed to be the one who went into the workroom and talked to the queens as the prepped for the challenge but she was later dropped from the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11607/14/2020

Huh, r116, I had to Google who Traci was, and she's tweeting the heck out of the show.

by Anonymousreply 11707/14/2020

Did they shoot the Australian version yet? Who is hosting it?

by Anonymousreply 11807/15/2020

R118 Dame Edna

by Anonymousreply 11907/15/2020

R118 No, it doesn't appear that the Australian version has been filmed yet. Drag Race Canada was announced a few months before the Australian version and was filmed in late 2019. The Canadian version actually had sent out casting calls months before the project was actually formally announced. I suspect the Australian version was supposed to film earlier this year but has been delayed due to COVID-19.

There is no formal news on who would be hosting the Austrlian version. Everyone keeps saying Courtney Act, but Courtney and Ru are not on speaking terms. The rumor is that Bianca Del Rio was approached by ITV Australia which is producing the show. Before Bianca cancelled her 2020 schedule due to the pandemic, she had a noticed lull in her schedule in May which many believed was when Australian Drag Race was originally supposed to film.

by Anonymousreply 12007/15/2020

I would love to see Bianca host the show. Maybe they learned their lesson with Brook Lynn Hytes and knew they needed a queen with some talent and star appeal.

by Anonymousreply 12107/16/2020

Brooke Lynn is talented she is just kind of dull as a host.

by Anonymousreply 12207/16/2020

R113. I doubt Ru was ever considered to host Drag Race Canada. Canada has strict filming laws; Canada gives large tax breaks for filming but only if the show only hires Canadians.

Michelle Visage, and to a lesser extent Ru, love the UK so it makes sense they would want to host.

by Anonymousreply 12307/16/2020

R123 Foreign productions in Canada get tax breaks if a majority of the individuals involved are Canadian, but there is an allowance for foreign talent to be involved. To meet these requirements most American productions in Canada will hire an all Canadian crew and then mix the onscreen talent. For example, Star Trek Discovery's crew is all Canadian, as are its guest and secondary performs, but its main cast are all American. This is the model most American TV shows and films follow in Canada.

That begin said, Drag Race Canada is technically a full Canadian production. CTV (which owns Crave) bought the rights from Wow Presents. Full Canadian productions are HIGHLY regulated and Canada only use Canadian talent unless they are co-produced by foreign companies. Canadian shows being co-funded by foreign production companies is becoming the new normal in the cash strapped Canadian entertainment industry. For example, Schitt's Creek was originally partly funded buy ITV studios international which allowed the producers to hire Chris Elliott who is an American actor. Now I don't know if Wow is funding any of Drag Race Canada, but I'm assuming they are since Michelle Visage is making an appearance and Ru does all the voice over stuff.

I agree that Ru probably never considered hosting Canada or any of the other international versions they are planning mostly due to scheduling. It's probably more of a "take the money and run" kind of situation. As you said, UK was different it's more 'prestigious' than Canada or Australia. Ru is 60, and I don't think he wants to be travelling the world doing drag race year round. I do believe the international versions are trials to see if the American version would work without Ru if he ever decided to retire, or he was forced to leave the show for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 12407/16/2020

I was just logging into CraveTV online (for Canadians) and I want to know who allowed Brooke Lynn to pose in this look for this promo shot.

I can't imagine how difficult it was for those queens to be judged by Brooke Lynn in whatever the fuck that getup is. Yikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12507/16/2020

It appears she's wearing the little dragon from Mulan on her head.

by Anonymousreply 12607/16/2020

Good episode this week but I didn't enjoy seeing D. Cox's vagina belly button on display.

by Anonymousreply 12707/16/2020

Just watched the first two episodes tonight. The Queens are great and it's awesome to see Canadian drag talent since drag is somewhat muted in Canada. Toronto's drag culture has dried up significantly in the last 10 years likely to do with growing commercialism and gentrification of the the gay village.

The real problem is with the judges, none of whom have any real personality or presence. ALso neither judge has a defined role. On the American version you've got Michelle who is the critical one, Ross is the funny one, Carson is the fashion queen with good comedic timing, and Ru is the decider. On the Canadian version, that is painfully missing. Jeffrey just does a bad Ru impersonation, Brooklyn is blatantly reading off a teleprompter, and the black woman I can't even remember her name. If there is a second season, they need to change the panel. I think Jackie Cox (the other Canadian Queen) actually has more personality than Brooke.

by Anonymousreply 12807/16/2020

I really like Prianyka, she's a cutie pie and fun like Jujubee.

I agree with you r128. All these judges have a personality of a potato. Jackie would be 100% improvement.

by Anonymousreply 12907/16/2020

Is the lady an albino?

by Anonymousreply 13007/16/2020

Did Anastarzia even want to be there? A low-energy lip sync, a mirror message consisting of one dot, and, as Brooke pointed out, she never smiled on the runway.

Tynomi stays on for another week to annoy R60 / R71, but they can't blame BLM this time, since who she sent home this week was another black Caribbean queen.

Well-earned win for Priyanka. I agree with R129, she seems to be the one there that's having the most fun with this experience, and no matter what iteration of Drag Race, it's refreshing to see.

Ilona is beginning to grate.

by Anonymousreply 13107/16/2020

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for Jimbo's eventual elimination. She's a fun queen. I'm rooting for her.

by Anonymousreply 13207/16/2020

Lemon is A LOT. Like a whole LOT. I would probably strangle her.

by Anonymousreply 13307/17/2020

I have to say compared to the polish we see on American drag race this performance was pretty rough, there were a lot them struggling with the choreo in the final performance.

[quote]The real problem is with the judges, none of whom have any real personality or presence. ALso neither judge has a defined role. On the American version you've got Michelle who is the critical one, Ross is the funny one, Carson is the fashion queen with good comedic timing, and Ru is the decider. On the Canadian version, that is painfully missing. Jeffrey just does a bad Ru impersonation, Brooklyn is blatantly reading off a teleprompter, and the black woman I can't even remember her name. If there is a second season, they need to change the panel. I think Jackie Cox (the other Canadian Queen) actually has more personality than Brooke.

Well said. They definitely need to work out the judges panel. And I wish Jeffrey would stop with his really awkward Ru impression. Just do you.

by Anonymousreply 13407/17/2020

I'm hoping Jimbo will be in the top 3 with Priyanka, but I'm worried that BoBo is trying to be in the same clown box as Jimbo.

by Anonymousreply 13507/17/2020

I'm at Drag Race Overload.I've HAD IT! Officially!

by Anonymousreply 13607/17/2020

Jimbo had an unusual edit on the last episode. Not sure what they will do with him. If they want him to go far they will keep him until snatch game. If they want to eliminate him early they won’t let him get that far, because he will OWN it.

I thought last week was one of the best drag race episodes in a while. The raps were really good. If Lemon hadn’t won last week, she would have been in top this week.

But it is clear chero is NOT their strongest suit.

by Anonymousreply 13707/17/2020

I guess I'm the only one that likes the guest hosting every week. I also enjoy that the judges critiques have been fair.

You would think Tynomi, naming herself after two supermodels, would have better runways.

by Anonymousreply 13807/18/2020

Gotta say the best thing so far was the mini challenge Newscaster challenge, though I wished they didn't cut back and firth so much. Some of them were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 13907/18/2020

Overall, Canada Drag Race is messier and less polished than the American one, and that's not really a bad thing. It reminds me more of the earlier season of Drag Race when the production values were lower and the judging panel wasn't the best (it really took American drag race three seasons before it found the right balance).

This week's episode was better in terms of judging. I think Brooklyn is finding her way and Stacey, although low key, I think has potential. To me, Jeffrey just needs to go. He doesn't seem genuine and he's just impersonating Ru ... and badly at that. They desperately need someone who is actually funny on the panel. The need the permanent host (aka Ru), the super critical one (aka Michelle), the funny one (aka Ross), and the fashion expert (aka Carson).

by Anonymousreply 14007/18/2020

I think Chapman is just trying too hard. His responses seem forced. Stacey adds nothing. Her comments seem out of the blue and I am too distracted by her 4-inch gums. Brooklyn is fine but since she is not doing the Ru role it seems disjointed. The whole panel does not work because it needs to be anchored by someone. They should use Brooklyn as Ru - Keep Chapman as the Michelle Visage and add two comedians like Ross and Carson.

by Anonymousreply 14107/19/2020

Chapman is totally kweening it up...and what the fuck were those pajama bottoms he wore into the workroom....he's been eating well it seems...I think he's hot and could be fun, but seems really affected on this show

by Anonymousreply 14207/19/2020

Ugh r141, I saw that weird smile that Stacey had- it was all gums. They should have Lilly Singh or Catherine O'Hara be a guest or permanent judge-they're both Canadian and funny.

by Anonymousreply 14307/19/2020

R143 Catherine O'Hara would be great, as would Andrea Martin as she became a Canadian citizen officially in 2017.

Chapman is totally one of those good looking queens who think he's fun to be around but no one in the room can actually stand him. He think he's the life of the party, but everyone just rolls their eyes. I get why Brooklyn is on the show, he's really the only Canadian drag talent that is known across Canada (which is sad because Canada has some queen who are way funnier and more talented who would be a better fit if it weren't for the relative obscurity), and he's getting better.

I'm giving Stacey a chance because I don't think we've really seen enough of her yet.

But yeah, if there is a second season, they need funny judges with a personality. This is Canadian ffs, comedic talent is what we do best!

by Anonymousreply 14407/19/2020

[quote]Gotta say the best thing so far was the mini challenge Newscaster challenge, though I wished they didn't cut back and firth so much. Some of them were hilarious.

I enjoyed it too. It reminded me of one of the challenges from Season 1 of the US show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14507/19/2020

LOCA I SAY HIV

by Anonymousreply 14607/20/2020

What is with the stupid episode titles? They are being written for Americans to think that stereotypes of Canadian accents are funny? Seem stupid for a Canadian show to be using titles targeted at Americans. I guess they aren't expecting or trying to get Canadian viewers so they are catering to what they think Americans will find funny, even though few Canadians speak that way.

by Anonymousreply 14707/21/2020

Honey, its men in dresses r147. It's not that serious, the franchise has always been about going for the obvious jokes.

by Anonymousreply 14807/21/2020

It is just weird to go for jokes that Americans will think are funny...not Canadians when it is a Canadian show. Anyways, they know their audience and I guess the Americans are the ones watching and who will see Eh and Aboot and think it is funny and want to watch. I just think iti s odd they didn't try to make it appeal to a Canadian audience in any way

by Anonymousreply 14907/21/2020

I love Jimbo! She's really something else!

I find it interesting that as a US resident, I understood way more of the cultural references on the UK version.

I think the hosts are dismal. Really, truly just a horror show. I can't stand Stacey's voice, although I'm sure she's a nice lady.

by Anonymousreply 15007/21/2020

I know no one really pronounces it literally as aboot but I have heard several Canadians say "about" in their own special way. Also "sorry".

by Anonymousreply 15107/21/2020

[Quote]I find it interesting that as a US resident, I understood way more of the cultural references on the UK version

Most americans see more British TV/movies than they do Canadian TV/movies. I think the average American does know more about Britain than our northern neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 15207/21/2020

I'm surprised Scott Thompson isn't a judge, or even a guest judge.

by Anonymousreply 15307/21/2020

R153 It's probably because Brook Lynne, to the untrained eye, appears as though she herself could be a Scott Thompson character!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15407/21/2020

Why is Jeffrey such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 15507/23/2020

^She's unhappy about her weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 15607/23/2020

Jimbo is a weirdly attractive guy with BDF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15707/23/2020

I still love Priyanka- she gives good talking head. Jimbo needed a Marie Antoinette wig to sell his look. Illona I just want to punch in the face. What a winer.

by Anonymousreply 15807/23/2020

BLH had it right - Tynomi might be a good performer but she wasn't a good competitor.

Ilona.... good Christ, even Farrah Moan is probably saying "girl, enough with the fucking whining!" Is it a requirement to being an enby or what?

by Anonymousreply 15907/23/2020

R159 It's weird that Ilona would think she's going home, like... hello... that was Tynomi's THIRD TIME lip syncing... IN A ROW!

by Anonymousreply 16007/23/2020

One more thing, Stacey was quite good in this episode. She looked like she was having a lot of fun when she helped the girls with their runway walks, which was a pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 16107/23/2020

R158 Yes! A big Marie Antoinette wig would've made Jimbo's look 100x better.

Stacy did a great job coaching the runway walks this week, but she seemed way too stiff when they were doing the Pit Crew matching underwear game. Overall the judging is getting better, although I was shocked BOA wasn't in the bottom 2 for that diaper mess.

Ilona got annoying with her whining and crying but I do think she turned it out in the lipsync.

by Anonymousreply 16207/23/2020

I don’t want to be a broken record here, but the judging is shockingly bad. I like Priyanka, but that look she came out in was dreadful and I was shocked that they were praising her for it. Ilona and Nyra didn’t look amazing, but they sure looked better than her.

by Anonymousreply 16307/24/2020

Ru and Michele must be happy, this iteration without them is proving to the fans that they are actually pretty good at what they do.

by Anonymousreply 16407/24/2020

r164, they had what...10 years to perfect it? Thailand's Drag Race had no problems with their judging- I think they're better than the U.S. judges- a combo of cunty, humorous, tough love, respect and somehow it all works.

by Anonymousreply 16507/24/2020

I actually thought Jimbo was kind of a dick in this episode. He is a costumer, he should have helped the two. His makeup was terrible too.

by Anonymousreply 16607/24/2020

Yeah, I'm sensing a 'my way or the highway' attitude with Jimbo, which I'm hoping doesn't bite her in the ass somewhere down the line.

And I agree that Priyanka got a VERY generous critique this week. Even her posture indicated that she knew her outfit sucked. It's pretty clear the Powers That Be don't want her to be an early boot. Same with BOA.

by Anonymousreply 16707/24/2020

r165 Yes!! the judging was so much better on Dragrace Thailand. Funnier. more effort in the costumes and often more constructive judging comments

by Anonymousreply 16807/24/2020

This is ALL I could think about when Illona was talking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16907/24/2020

Jeffrey and Brooklyn seemed to have pissed off all the woke fans, they're asking to have Jeffrey fired from the show lol. I actually like this judging panels' critiques, even if they are harsh sometimes. It's much better than having to listen to Ru giving out his predictable, ear-fed, one-note commentary.

by Anonymousreply 17007/24/2020

The challenge was to complete a cohesive collection. The metal team was the only one not to do that. You could not see a connection between any of the three. They should have been in the bottom. I feel Priyanka got favorable critiques since she has what I call 'skinny-bias'- because she's thin anything she puts on is high fashion, when it's just a piece of fabric around her waist. If Boa and Priya swapped clothes the judges would have read them both for being trashy. If they were going to be judged individually then this should not have been a team challenge to begin with.

I disagree with the critique that a runway is "costumey". It's drag. It's art. And who said that art can't be costume? I feel like it's a way of gate-keeping campy queens from expressing their drag. Even the whole "I would like to see you in something glamorous." is an extension of that.

I will give Jimbo the benefit of doubt and assume it was less "Screw you! I'm doing my own thing." and more someone who is used to working by themselves. I do think her lack of makeup and hair skills will be her Achilles' heel. Ilona was a pain. I think she was mad at Jimbo for derailing their original idea and didn't vent well.

I'm beginning to become the 'Aiden Zane is trans' troll because I earnestly thought Boa was a woman/bio queen.

by Anonymousreply 17107/24/2020

R170, it’s not the “woke fans” who are pissed about Brooke Lynn and JBC. Woke fans won’t acknowledge ANY character flaw in a person of color, unless they’re RuPaul for some reason. It’s the general consensus among the viewership that they are miscast and terrible at their jobs. There’s nothing wrong with a bitchy critique if it’s funny. Brooke Lynn and JBC are just delivering Billy B/Jeffrey Moran toxic cringe.

The third judge has good critiques but zero star appeal. She’s uninteresting to watch and it’s challenging to hear her when she talks, so I don’t know why they keep giving her long announcements and important exposition to deliver.

And the ranking in this last episode was embarrassing. Priyanka getting raves for that shitty simple dress and umbrella skeleton? Come on.

World of Wonder needs to do a new talent search in the meanwhile. Don’t get tied up trying to find local Canadians. Pick an established queen from wherever who can deliver a line and has a single likable bone in her body.

by Anonymousreply 17207/25/2020

WHY ARE THEY KEEPING THESE QUEENS SO COLD? Do the not have heat in the studio. I am so confused by this. They always seem like they are shivering and wrap in blankets. Why?

by Anonymousreply 17307/25/2020

They shot in an empty warehouse in Toronto in the fall. There’s been a rumor that the heat was shut off at one point. It looks like this is the episode where it happened.

by Anonymousreply 17407/25/2020

R172 I think, R124 it's a Canadian production probably HAS to have a certain amount of Canadian "talent" so using judges from elsewhere probably isn't realistic. But really... they HAVE TO be able to find better judges than what we have. There's not some old MuchMusic VJ hanging around who needs a job?

Brooke Lynn isn't the worst queen ever, but... I just can't imagine being judged by her if I were another queen.

by Anonymousreply 17507/25/2020

so yeah, maybe the plastic team all looked alike because THEY LOOKED LIKE SHIT ...nothing fashion about it....and to say Baga was top? ooof... guess when none really turn it out you have to pick the one you dislike the least, but the fuck was that?

I do love Priyanka

by Anonymousreply 17607/25/2020

I just realized watching the finale of the US RPDR that Jimbo is more about the art of drag than actually being a drag queen. Very much like Disasterina, who is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 17707/25/2020

R172 I actually felt Billy B was one of the best judges they ever had and he actually understood make up.

Of course from the get go Mathu should have been one of the judges.

by Anonymousreply 17807/25/2020

Again, we get a mention of contestants being "in their head". You were too much in your head. Apparently this stupid saying is required to be included in every episode of US and Canadian Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 17907/25/2020

r178, Poor Mathu is in no condition to do anything. He's been out of it for at least 3 years, the last 2 years possibly in hospice.

by Anonymousreply 18007/25/2020

R174 Drag Race Canada was actually filmed in Hamilton not Toronto. I know this because I know someone who is a member of the pit crew. A growing number of Canadian shows are filming at hole in the wall studios in Hamilton because they can no longer afford the Toronto studios which are being rented out by American networks and studios for big budget shows for way more money than Canadian productions could ever afford.

So, Stacey and Brooklyn are growing on me a bit. I like Stacey's interaction with the Queen's this week. I think if she can loosen up a bit more, she'll be good. Jeffrey is the weakest link when it comes to judging. I also agree that the judges (mainly Brooklyn and Jeffrey) are too harsh. Michelle is harsh but you can tell she loves these gurls, I don't get that with these judges. If there is a season two, the should drop Jeffrey, get a permanent host, and a comedic judge.

by Anonymousreply 18107/25/2020

I paused this week’s episode and asked my boyfriend, “Does this show make you feel weird? Is it somehow creepy to you?”

He said, “Yup,” and we both decided it falls into some strange Drag Race uncanny valley. The mechanics are all there, but it all feels so... off.

by Anonymousreply 18207/25/2020

r182, I think it's because the US plays into the reality game, but Canadians are too "nice", they don't want to embrace the C for cunt. So it's Pleasantville RPDR.

by Anonymousreply 18307/25/2020

R183 Oh, Jeffrey is bringing all the C to the table for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 18407/26/2020

Jeffery used to be so hot. He is too queeny now.

by Anonymousreply 18507/26/2020

R182 I agree, not so much about the creepy thing, but yeah the show feels 'off.' All the ingredients are there, but it's just not turning out properly. I don't know why, but whenever Canadian production companies try to adapt an American reality show for Canadian TV, it rarely works. I don't know if it's because Canadian culture is more "reserved and polite" than American culture, but the Canadian versions just never have the same edge. It doesn't help that the editing is a bit meh, the judging is terrible, and the challenges have been pretty forgettable.

R185 Earlier in the thread someone summed up Jeffrey perfectly: he seems like one of the gay guys who gotten buy solely on his looks. He thinks he funny and the star of the show but no one in the room actually likes him. To me he's the weakest of three weak judges.

by Anonymousreply 18607/26/2020

There’s something about the production value, too. The harsh shadows and cheaper cameras that make it feel like a 90s PBS Kids show. I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 18707/26/2020

Well they're not doing the RuPaul lighting and filtering that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 18807/26/2020

R187 It looks pretty typical of a Canadian production, which might be jarring to Americans.

by Anonymousreply 18907/26/2020

Canadian productions tend to be more low rent r187. That aspect doesn't bother me.

The first couple seasons of American drag race were also a very low budget production.

by Anonymousreply 19007/26/2020

Am I the only one who doesn’t find JBC that good looking? I mean, he has nice features. But where is this great beauty everyone is talking about?

by Anonymousreply 19107/26/2020

R187 as R190 stated, Canadian productions tend to be low rent. I worked in the "Canadian" television and film industry for 15 years (I say "Canadian" industry because the vast majority of my work was with American productions shot in Canada e.g. Supernatural, the Stargate shows etc.) I can count on one hand the number of actual Canadian productions I worked on: specifically Metropia, Degrassi: The Next Generation, and Da Vinci's Inquest.

R191 I don't find JBC attractive. I actually wonder how he got onto the American Drag Race in the first place. I mean I only know him from Drag Race.

by Anonymousreply 19207/26/2020

Has no one mentioned the chubby guy they brought out as the frist two "oh pit crew"? He just did not fit they were all ripped dudes and he was. soft and squishy.

by Anonymousreply 19307/26/2020

R193, they're applauding it on drag twitter as if it's some kind of victory for fatties lol. I felt a little bad for the guy, looked like he didn't want to be there.

by Anonymousreply 19407/26/2020

The chubby pit crew guy is this guy. As expected, he is all about body positivity and that fat is sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19507/26/2020

I thought it was hilarious that the guys were ooohhing over him. And they had him all oiled up like a basted Thanksgiving turkey.

by Anonymousreply 19607/27/2020

R193 Having a fat pit crew member defeats the whole purpose of having a pit crew. Whats next? An ugly one?

by Anonymousreply 19707/27/2020

R193 Having a fat pit crew member defeats the whole purpose of having a pit crew. Whats next? An ugly one?

by Anonymousreply 19807/27/2020

R195, there's something very Sam Smith about him which is off putting.

by Anonymousreply 19907/27/2020

An interesting article on him and his Coptic roots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20007/27/2020

r198 - they have already had ugly ones.

by Anonymousreply 20107/27/2020

I watched the latest episode about re-purposing. Maybe that's why all the outfits looked so busted. But the makeup was pretty bad, too. Do none of them have a corset - or was it because they had to make those runway looks out of garbage?

Some of the guys are cute - but Jimbo ain't one of them. He looks old as Granny Moses - he reminds me of those guys in drag in those 50's and 60's photos.

And Stacey's big gummy smile gives me nightmares. I may watch next week for Snatch Game just to see the guys in their own drag.....one more time won't kill me, I don't think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20207/27/2020

I thought Tynomi won the lip sync. Ilona started off strong but seemed to run out of steam.

by Anonymousreply 20307/27/2020

I am actually glad they put a chubby man in the pit crew (something that would not have happened if Ru was hosting this) given the fact that the LGBTQ+ is riddled with body shaming and body acceptance issues. It's one of the few positive things Drag Race Canada has done so far.

by Anonymousreply 20407/27/2020

R200, I appreciate his honesty about the homophobia he's had to deal with from Arabs and the Middle East community instead of deflecting away like Miss Jackie Cox.

by Anonymousreply 20507/27/2020

Off topic, but Toronto even an interesting city? It seems dull and plain to me.

Montreal, on the other hand, is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 20607/27/2020

They have a great graffiti alley that is adjacent to a street with great little boutiques and a neighborhood that reminds me of Chicago. Also food is very expensive. That's all I have for you.

by Anonymousreply 20707/27/2020

R206 Montreal, IMO, is the best city in Canada in terms of beauty, things to do, arts and culture, gay scene, food scene, public transit etc. It's basically European-lite. Toronto is a great city but more subdued than a comparable American city. Historically, Toronto was a living man's city until the 1970s when most major companies left Montreal due to the rising sovereignty movement and set up shop in Toronto. This is why I think Toronto somewhat lack the bright lights and buzz of a major metropolis like New York. Toronto's diversity is amazing however, and I do think Toronto has one of the best food scenes in Canada. The tone of the city is changing as well, and not for the better. It's become so expensive and the core is slowly becoming a playground for the wealthy and foreign investors. My generation (the 35-40) years old, were really the last generation who could move to Toronto and be okay on their own. Now, young people have been totally priced out of the market and can only live here with multiple room mates.

by Anonymousreply 20807/27/2020

If you go to a club for a drag show often there will be gogo boys. The pit crew is the television stand in for gogo boys.

I don't want fat gogo boys, don't want fat pit crew. It's not meant to celebrate all body sizes, the queens themselves are for that. Its just there as sexy fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 20907/27/2020

I’d like to see DL Fave Connor Jessup as a guest host.

by Anonymousreply 21007/28/2020

R210 Connor would make a great judge.

by Anonymousreply 21107/28/2020

Jeffrey's 'judging' is being dragged (no pun intended) on Twitter. My guess if there is a second season, he won't be invited back.

by Anonymousreply 21207/29/2020

Why do Canadians copy everything Americans do? Are their own shows that lame?

by Anonymousreply 21307/29/2020

Why do Americans copy everything that British and Japanese do?

by Anonymousreply 21407/29/2020

The right person won the evening and the Lip Sync. I liked Jeffery this week.

by Anonymousreply 21507/30/2020

American drag race has become stale enough. Why do we need the less exciting version?

by Anonymousreply 21607/30/2020

TREND ALERT!

Bad Drag Names

by Anonymousreply 21707/30/2020

R216 This version is the freshest thing to happen to the franchise in a long time.

Tonight’s Snatch Game was amazing and that lip sync was better than anything seen on All Stars 5.

by Anonymousreply 21807/30/2020

Jimbo finally wins a challenge! Well-deserved too.

Starting to see 'it' with Lemon, finally. THAT is how you deliver in Snatch Game when portraying a character that you know not everyone is going to recognize.

Five episodes in and BOA narrowly avoids the bottom two in three of them. But Kiara had to go (as someone in one of the AS5 threads astutely stated, in reference to Blair St. Clair, "being skinny is not a talent"), and I don't think BOA had the goods to outshine her in a lip sync, since Kiara wasn't going to leave without putting up a fight.

by Anonymousreply 21907/30/2020

I don't know who Mary Walsh is, but she looks disturbingly like Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 22007/30/2020

Martha Walsh is a Canadian comedy legend -- the kind that stayed in Canada and didn't sell out to the US. Between Codco and 22 Minutes, she's practically an institution.

by Anonymousreply 22107/30/2020

Well, she definitely came across as naturally funny and definitely better than Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 22207/30/2020

Priyanka really made you believe she drove all night to see her man.

And I’m a little in love with Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 22307/31/2020

Kiara's LS was so messy, just flopping around like a fish gasping for air. But at least she put effort into it.

by Anonymousreply 22407/31/2020

Jimbo NAILED Snatch Game. That could easily have won on a US season.

by Anonymousreply 22507/31/2020

Lemon's snatch game made me a little crazy, it was so busy. She was making those moves non-stop and it was frankly annoying after a while. So glad Jimbo won.

by Anonymousreply 22607/31/2020

The girl Lemon did is pretty much exactly like that, so it may be annoying but it was... accurate.

The competition looks like it's Rita Baga's to lose, at this point. I'm not mad, I like her and she's not from Toronto!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22707/31/2020

It’s interesting that despite the large amount of Toronto queens, the two front runners are from Quebec (Rita) and B.C. (Jimbo).

by Anonymousreply 22807/31/2020

Similar to how season 12 had like 5 queens from New York but none of them made it to the finale.

by Anonymousreply 22907/31/2020

I’m not counting out Priyanka yet. Love her and so glad the gurl can lip sync! Rita Baga’s Edith Piaf was hysterical. But I’m a Jimbo-stan all the way.

by Anonymousreply 23007/31/2020

R219 Yes, I'm starting to see "it" with Lemon, too. She was pretty off-putting in the first few episodes, but I'm coming around to her. I was pleasantly surprised with her Snatch Game performance, because I imagined it going sideways like Crystal Methyd's Poppy from S12, but she committed to it (as Mary Walsh said) and it was good because of that.

R230 Oh yeah, I still think that Priyanka has a good chance.

One of the queens I don't "get" is Scarlet Bobo. She's technically pretty good, but I find her so annoyingly off putting!!!

by Anonymousreply 23107/31/2020

Jimbo ❤️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23207/31/2020

Miss Vanjie commentary

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23307/31/2020

Glad Priyanka pulled it off...as R224 said, Kiara flopped around like a fish....

Anyone else annoyed by the amount of orange/yellow light they use on that set? Every one looks jaundiced from the jawline down and it isn't flattering...there are some bad lighting directors on this show. It seems to highlight/mix badly with the queens foundations

by Anonymousreply 23407/31/2020

Brooklyn looked like shit today. Hated that hair; it made her jaw look long.

Jeffery needs to stop with the eye make up. Not sure why he thinks that queeny look is goijg to win anyone over. I don’t hate him as a judge like some people, however.

Lemon is talented but I hope she doesn’t win. She is from Canada but she is a US Queen. Someone who actually represents Canada needs to win.

I was team Jimbo but now I am moving to team Rita.

by Anonymousreply 23507/31/2020

I love that Jimbo and Rita are bonding.

by Anonymousreply 23607/31/2020

R235 The same can be said for Ilona too, actually. She's an LA queen now. Or is it balanced because she's two spirit?

by Anonymousreply 23707/31/2020

I was waiting for Joan to ask Edith for some pills to throw at Jojo's face to calm her down at the end, "Look! Candy! Let me get it in your mouth!"

I think Jimbo and Rita are the oldest, so are bonding because of that.

by Anonymousreply 23807/31/2020

Much better Snatch Game than we've seen on the main show for the last couple seasons. Jimbo, Rita, and Lemon all could've won and I wouldn't have been upset, although I was happy to see Jimbo get the win since I thought he was the best in both the challenge and runway.

by Anonymousreply 23907/31/2020

I thought Rita was overrated. It was very Patricia Quinn. Not bad, but not great. Safe. I also don’t think she’s the frontrunner. I’m getting the feeling that the top three will be Jimbo, Priyanka, and Lemon.

by Anonymousreply 24007/31/2020

Yes both Lemon and Ilona are really American queens of Canadian origin, their drag careers were in America.

by Anonymousreply 24107/31/2020

R235 I've said it before and I'll say it again, it must feel so ridiculous to be judged by Brooke Lynn. She's not an AWFUL drag queen, per se.. but she looks like a fucking clown 85% of the time. That green wig she wore last week on the panel? Her entire look this week? Mama, this is garbage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24207/31/2020

Seriously... imagine what Michelle would have said about this look on the runway!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24307/31/2020

If they had even an inkling that Canadas Drag Race was going to be a thing, they should have had Brooklyn double win with Yvie.

I do not dislike Brooklyn as a judge and honestly who else would they have chosen if not for her - but I think it is a bit odd to have her judging a season that I do not think she would even win.

by Anonymousreply 24408/01/2020

Priyanka knows what producers want. Notice that whenever there is a "moment" or an announcement of some sort, they cut to her for a reaction. She's smart enough to give the appropriate facial expression they want (example, when Jeffrey announced in Episode #2 that the little pocket gay Jade something that no one has ever heard of would be the judge, Priyanka gave a "OMG! I can't believe it!" expression which the producers cut to, because it indicate Jade was famous; whenever the judges announce any sort of "but" or statement that would indicate a "twist" Priyanka always gives a "But what's going to happen! OMG! type expression).

by Anonymousreply 24508/01/2020

Priyanka does give good TV...I wonder what's not being shown though...one of the "reads" was that Priyanka was DTF and another said he always talks about sex...these are the clips I want to see!

Busy little bussy!

by Anonymousreply 24608/01/2020

Priyanka was a children's TV host. Being on camera, and being animated on camera, is nothing new for her.

by Anonymousreply 24708/01/2020

I didn’t notice until this week Priyanka’s fucked up ears.

by Anonymousreply 24808/01/2020

After reading the comments here, I expected an outstanding Snatch Game. I thought even the best of them were just okay.

Old Bob's Joan Rivers didn't actually say anything funny in the moment - just catch phrases and throwing around the ashes. Rita's impersonation of Edith Piaf was just stupid.....falling asleep and talking about death - I thought she said something in her prep talk that she loved the "young" and "vital" Edith.....and we get a .... coffin.

Lemon was good as Jo Jo - she was hyper active, but so is Jo Jo.

The rest.....ah.....the rest.....

I wish the show was more exciting or the guys were trying harder or more talented......

by Anonymousreply 24908/01/2020

What's wrong with Priyanka's ears?

by Anonymousreply 25008/01/2020

After watching Bootleg Opinions (I'm not proud), the runway is worse than I remembered it. The queens were almost too LITERAL with the theme? Crystal Methyd looks PAINED to give negative critiques.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25108/01/2020

Who ever this Mary Walsh is, make her a full time judge next season. She was perfect for the show.

Stacey and Brooklyn were way better this week. Jeffrey is still the weakest link and needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 25208/02/2020

I can't tell if the editors are doing a bad job or the judges are doing a bad job, but I'm confused about Kiara being sent home. If we're supposed to believe that the LSFYL determines who goes, make sure the edit supports that idea.

Should have been a double shante anyway.

Francesca Fiore is really growing on me, but it's still odd to choose a reserved person to host a TV show. She was pretty tepid in Snatch Game. Ru might make it look easy but he works hard to keep Snatch Game flowing. He also tries to make the contestants look good by feeding them straight lines and laughing at the weakest of jokes.

For all my complaints, I'm enjoying this show.

by Anonymousreply 25308/03/2020

No, R253. It shouldn’t have been a double shantay. Kiara has zero presence and an even smaller range. She barely made a blip on the first episode and was unlikely to go for. Don’t waste the double save on her.

The lip sync is the deciding vote, but I think it was a draw between her and Priyanka. Especially since all her moves were the same recycled garbage we’ve seen hundreds of times now.

by Anonymousreply 25408/03/2020

Overall, it was Kiara's time to go. But I found her lip sync a hair better than Priya's.

by Anonymousreply 25508/03/2020

I have to agree with R253 and R255 Kiara's lip sync was better than Priyanka's and if the lip sync is supposed to be the determining factor of who stays and who goes, Kiara should have stayed. If you watch the judges, they were watching Kiara most of the time. This makes me think either we missed some of Priyanka's moves because of bad editing, or the decision to send Kiara home was already predetermined. If they are taking whole records into account and not just the lip sync, they need to state that.

by Anonymousreply 25608/03/2020

Kiara's lip sync just looked desperate and uncoordinated.

by Anonymousreply 25708/03/2020

Yeah, I'm not buying that Kiara's lipsync was better, either.

by Anonymousreply 25808/03/2020

Agree r249.

The snatch game here was fine, but nothing especially noteworthy. Drag Race: UK and All Stars 5 had better recent Snatch Games.

And Priyanka definitely won the lip sync.

by Anonymousreply 25908/03/2020

It should have been a double sashay. That lip synch was one of the messiest I've seen in the entire history of the show. I was entertained as hell, but it was a mess from the word go. Priyanka's non-stop braying to the camera needs to stop. She's playing the I'm going to angle for as much screen time as I can game a bit too much. I cringe every time she's on screen now.

by Anonymousreply 26008/04/2020

What, over that blue pink pastel whiny bitch with the snaggle teeth?

by Anonymousreply 26108/04/2020

Kiara was better in the LSFYL but not good enough to stay over Priyanka. An utterly fantastic lipsync should save you, however if it is just a bit better than someone who competitively is much better then it shouldn’t and doesn’t matter.

Would anyone really want to see Kiara on TV more than Priyanka. She showed what she had to show.

by Anonymousreply 26208/05/2020

I still don't know what's wrong with Priyanka's ears, can someone explain?

by Anonymousreply 26308/05/2020

Finally got around to watching the snatch game episode last night. So, I think the judging is slowly improving. Stacey kind of won me over with her enthusiasm for the lip sync, and I think Brooklyn is loosening up a bit. I still think the judging is overly harsh. Jeffrey is still my least favourite. He is prissy and fake, and not in a fun way either.

Right now, Jimbo is my favourite for the crown.

by Anonymousreply 26408/05/2020

R263, there’s some kind of burns or scarring on the bottom of her ears. Keep your eyes peeled. You won’t be able to stop seeing after you notice it.

by Anonymousreply 26508/06/2020

R265 I didn't see anything weird going on with Priyanka's ears this episode and I kept looking. Please provide photographic evidence!

by Anonymousreply 26608/06/2020

Lemon in the bottom after a great performance? Rita in the top for being completely forgettable?

Lol, it’s like they gave three shitty YouTube queens RuPaul’s job.

by Anonymousreply 267Last Friday at 4:36 AM

Oh BOA, you had ONE job for that lip sync. Now we have to hear more about 'SISSIES' this and 'SISSIES' that, which I'm already tired of after only one episode. Almost makes me yearn for the days of Rolaskatox.

Or maybe it was 'cissies' - Ilona did use the term 'cis women' when they were all talking about the scourge of bachelorette parties at gay bars. Curious to see the reactions of the Reddit (and DL) fraus and frau-loving "queers" about THAT discussion.

What a cliffhanger for next week's episode - I wonder who is the one that is going to get read for filth for their runway outfit? One of the top contenders (or Ilona, I hope)?

by Anonymousreply 268Last Friday at 8:36 AM

I was glad that Rita won. She underplayed the other two and was the only one in any of the skits to make me laugh out loud. Was so hoping that Ilona was going home, but jeez, did Boa suck in the lipsync! Ilona is terrible at everything BUT lipsyncing. I was surpised that everyone threw Lemon under the bus. Guess they really don't like her. She's not as good as she thinks she is, and her make up skills are lacking, but she is in the top tier of the queens. BTW, I think BOA had great make-up skills, the best of everyone. And Jeffrey still gets on my last nerve.

by Anonymousreply 269Last Friday at 12:58 PM

Okay: Drag Race Canada Producers in the odd chance your reading this...get rid of JBC if there is a second season. He's is sooooooo fake and pretentious. Stacey is getting better. She is kind of a much lower key Michelle. Brooklyn is still meh, but better than he was in the beginning. They need a judge with a lot of personality to counter Stacey and Brooklyn's more reserved personality.....oh and someone who can actually land the runway jokes.

Jimbo should have won again this week. He was the funniest and the best dressed on the runway.

Rita was okay...but both her outfit and acting were just meh.

I'm starting to wonder if they are trying to make the wins more even so there is less of a clear front runner.

by Anonymousreply 270Last Friday at 5:44 PM

One minute they were talking about obnoxious, entitled straight women bringing their bachelorette groupies to gay bars and next minute Boa got raped and beaten by some random thug and that's somehow the queer communities fault??... What the hell did that have to do with anything that was being discussed? It was a completely separate issue and she totally derailed the conversation with that bomb.

by Anonymousreply 271Last Friday at 6:41 PM

R271 I knew as soon as they let Boa tell "her story" that she'd be the going home.

by Anonymousreply 272Last Friday at 6:45 PM

R271 The conversation was about the experience of feeling uncomfortable in a queer space as a drag queen. They were talking about bachelorette parties and Boa (and Ilona) brought up that aside from that, other queer men have also made them feel uncomfortable in their own spaces. Queer sexual assault is very real and she was right to bring it up.

by Anonymousreply 273Last Friday at 6:52 PM

I just don't get the love for old Jim Bob - he is at best mediocre..... No one on the show displays much talent or skill in anything.

I like the way Rita looks out of drag....no so much in it.....

by Anonymousreply 274Last Saturday at 7:47 AM

Jimbo is creative but he always just looks like a dad in drag

by Anonymousreply 275Last Saturday at 7:49 AM

Blair St. Clair subtly went after Jeffrey on Twitter yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276Last Saturday at 8:10 AM

The amount of hate he's been getting I hope they do bring him back for a second season lol

by Anonymousreply 277Last Saturday at 8:40 AM

I'm rewatching old eps of RPDR, and Jeffery makes appearances as early as S9 (can't find earlier seasons)...he must have been playing the long game.

by Anonymousreply 278Last Saturday at 9:18 AM

[quote]Lemon in the bottom after a great performance?

This show takes the runway factor seriously, they have at least been consistent on that.

[quote]Ilona is terrible at everything BUT lipsyncing

She annoys the shit out of me, but we've seen her lip sync twice and I will admit she is pretty good at it.

It's interesting Drag Race Canada is the only spin off that has consistently had as strong of lip syncs as you see in the American version. In Thailand and the UK I remember thinking they were a bit lacking.

by Anonymousreply 279Last Saturday at 10:37 AM

I think Thailand's seem lacking because most of the songs were Thai, so we had no idea what the hell they were singing about, and a lot of songs seem very demure, so no stage histrionics for that. For the English songs, if they didn't know English, they had to approximate singing in English. With UK.... I don't remember any lips syncs.

I caught a few episodes of, "I Like To Watch" with The Vivienne and Baga Chipz, and they're charming and hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280Last Saturday at 12:41 PM

Kim Chi is also taking a swipe at JBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281Last Saturday at 2:14 PM

They saying he "bodyshamed" lona because he told her to put foundation on her bare ass! LOL

Well, he was right to say it. That ass was disgusting, I had to look away from the screen.

by Anonymousreply 282Last Saturday at 2:31 PM

I think JBC is bad at this job, but he wasn't "body shaming". He just told her to put some make up on the skin before showing it on the stage. Common sense.

by Anonymousreply 283Last Saturday at 2:48 PM

R283 I think the issue is that his comments sound so CATTY, compared to the critiques Ross and Carson give... for example. If I have to hear him say "entertainting" again... christ almighty. There's no humor to him.

by Anonymousreply 284Last Saturday at 3:14 PM

r282, really? Jesus these kids can't take any constructive criticism at all. That red pimply ass ruined any illusion of glamour.

by Anonymousreply 285Last Saturday at 3:46 PM

But is it constructive criticism to point out someone has a pimply ass? Or was Jeffrey just doing it to be a cunty bitch?

Ilona putting concealer on her ass wouldn’t have won her the challenge. He just wanted to say it.

by Anonymousreply 286Last Saturday at 3:55 PM

Binging this now on WOW Presents Plus. I love it all except for JBC, who is a fat cunt.

by Anonymousreply 287Last Saturday at 7:18 PM

I agree that JBC's comments weren't body shamming, but he is so fake and cunty that everything he says seems rude.

by Anonymousreply 288Last Saturday at 9:08 PM

Scarlett Bobo has become the queen I can't stand.

by Anonymousreply 289Last Sunday at 7:44 AM

R289 I also don’t like Scarlet Bobo for some reason. She is doing fine and probably should have won that challenge (I am not sure why Rita won) but something about her is off putting. Is it the name? The way he looks out of drag?

I love how cunty JBC is. The ass comment was hilarious! But Ilona clearly has some issues about her body. Why did she say, out of nowhere, that he wanted to be Lemon?

by Anonymousreply 290Last Sunday at 8:14 AM

Ilona can crow all day long about that non-binary crap, but it’s clear that deep down she knows she’s an unattractive, fat gay man. The Lemon resentment makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 291Last Sunday at 8:47 AM

I like the rough spun quality of the queens (much like the earlier seasons of RPDR). Now, many the queens come prepared. I happened to come across this blog of a designer for many of the queens, and I had no idea how much outfits were, which makes me feel for queens like Heidi N Closet and Nina Bonina Brown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292Last Sunday at 11:22 AM

It's common for queens to spend about 10k preparing for a regular season and 20k+ preparing for All Stars.

by Anonymousreply 293Last Sunday at 11:30 AM

Completely on point

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294Last Sunday at 11:51 AM

Trixie is doing weekly summaries

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295Last Sunday at 11:52 AM

Lemon is so cute out of drag.

by Anonymousreply 296Last Tuesday at 2:36 PM

She is prettier out of drag than in drag r296. Her make up skills still need some tweaking.

by Anonymousreply 297Last Tuesday at 2:53 PM

I can’t help seeing Lemon as Andrew Rannels’ cuter little brother. Even thou I am a Jimbo fan, I am rooting for Lemon to go far.

by Anonymousreply 298Last Tuesday at 4:12 PM

Lemon could be a Blair St. Clair if she really tried.

by Anonymousreply 299Last Tuesday at 5:26 PM

R299 Lemon - out of drag - is far hotter than boy Blair St. Clair.

by Anonymousreply 300Last Tuesday at 6:34 PM

Agreed R300. More charming personality too imo.

by Anonymousreply 301Last Tuesday at 6:50 PM

Lemon is cute although I agree with some of the queens that he seems disingenuous

by Anonymousreply 302Last Tuesday at 8:56 PM

Lemon soured on me (haha) when he stated on the first episode he "conquered NY."

Bitch, no one has ever heard of you here.

by Anonymousreply 303Yesterday at 4:07 AM

[quote]But is it constructive criticism to point out someone has a pimply ass?

An important existential question that ALL Americans will have to answer this November 3.

by Anonymousreply 304Yesterday at 4:11 AM

[quote]He stated on the first episode he "conquered NY." Bitch, no one has ever heard of you here.

Brita is that you?

by Anonymousreply 305Yesterday at 4:19 AM

I'm surprised Brita wasn't Biden's choice for VP.

by Anonymousreply 30620 hours ago

So was he!

by Anonymousreply 30720 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!