Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bill Maher calls for an end to the shaming and canceling of people whose heart is in the right place on race issues,

but don’t get it exactly right on the first try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2020 12:18 AM

Maher on the way to becoming Dennis Miller. Angry is funny only if it's funny, you know?

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2020 3:34 PM

No cares about Bill Maher.

by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2020 3:35 PM

Does he really want to remind people he used The n word on his show in 2017? He must be the only white man in show biz that has used The n word on national tv in the past 20 years and was allowed to go on like nothing happened.

Cancel this motherfucker!

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2020 3:36 PM

r3, you're exactly what he's complaining about.

"CANCEL! CANCEL! CANCEL!" You're like a little Robespierre.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2020 3:38 PM

He lost his network show for saying the 9/11 terrorists were dedicated soldiers or some other poorly worded phrase and since then he is the king of "comedians should be able to say anything" and not so much "white men's actions and words are judged just like everybody else, dumbass."

by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2020 3:39 PM

r4, stop trying to make Maher happen. He's over.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2020 3:41 PM

He’s a sexual harasser and is vile with women.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2020 3:43 PM

It’s good to be a Jew in show biz. Bill shows us they can get away with anything.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2020 3:46 PM

R8 Cancel this thread. Jeez. "They"

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2020 3:48 PM

Yes, white people need to be given a break for once. Good thought, Bill.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote]He lost his network show for saying the 9/11 terrorists were dedicated soldiers...

It's not so much that as what he said about American military forces by contrast, that "we have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly... Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." This was in response to President Bush and various media figures calling the 9/11 hijackers "cowards" so frequently it had become something of a buzzword.

Although it went over poorly with its audience, the observation was essentially correct.

Subsequently, in order to show that 'we' weren't the cowards, President Bush and his administration ginned up a bunch of false intelligence, spouted a lot of propagandistic misdirection, and took us to war in 2003 with a country which had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11 - Iraq. Much of American heeded that cry to war like a bunch of mindless sheep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 28, 2020 3:59 PM

[quote]It’s good to be a Jew in show biz. Bill shows us they can get away with anything.

Bill's not Jewish, R8. He's Irish Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 12June 28, 2020 4:01 PM

You know how I canceled Bill Maher -- I canceled my cable TV. Done and done.

by Anonymousreply 13June 28, 2020 4:02 PM

Sure, R8.

by Anonymousreply 14June 28, 2020 4:05 PM

R12 Maher is half and half (Catholic father and Jewish mother).

by Anonymousreply 15June 28, 2020 4:07 PM

But he was raised Catholic, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16June 28, 2020 4:09 PM

[Quote] CANCEL! CANCEL! CANCEL!" You're like a little Robespierre.

At this point, I agree that the French Revolution got it right. Just fucking execute everybody

by Anonymousreply 17June 28, 2020 4:10 PM

R17 French Revolution = Good

Reign of Terror (autocratic violent over-reaction) = Not so much

Folks always assume the prior is defined by the later.

by Anonymousreply 18June 28, 2020 4:12 PM

What is it about his remarks here that bother some? Is he not correct?

by Anonymousreply 19June 28, 2020 4:56 PM

For a minute there, I thought I was listening to Andy Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 20June 28, 2020 5:06 PM

R19 I don't get it either. Nothing he said here is remotely controversial except to those who are already unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 21June 28, 2020 5:09 PM

The person who screamed "Cancel this motherfucker!" at r3 reveals himself as an open anti-Semite at r8.

by Anonymousreply 22June 28, 2020 5:49 PM

Another thread copied by the Maher writing staff.

by Anonymousreply 23June 28, 2020 6:09 PM

Bill brings up many valid points about cancel culture and the need to guide some people who are trying and who may not know every last detail rather than cancel someone entirely. I agree. Watch Maher’s video before dismissing him.

by Anonymousreply 24June 28, 2020 9:10 PM

R24, she’s not the one to be saying this. He’s gotten away with so much already. If he wasn’t cancelled when he said “house nigger” then why is he concerned about cancel culture where racism is concerned

R22, Bill Maher is a racist. And you are too for defending him.

R16, Bill Maher is part Jewish Th rough his mother’s side. He has been embraced by the “tribe”. He couldn’t get where he is if he weren’t Jewish. He’s too mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 25June 28, 2020 9:30 PM

R25. You are wrong and not an authority on Bill Maher, who is an outstanding entertainer, satirist, political commentator and television guest and host.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote] But he was raised Catholic, [R15].

Doesn’t matter. His mother is Jewish, he’s Jewish. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2020 9:53 PM

R26 = Bill Maher.

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2020 9:53 PM

So we should judge people by what's in their hearts? How exactly would we do that.

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2020 10:01 PM

R19 and r21. I think what he gets wrong in this monologue is that for centuries, Blacks in the USA have lived in a society where they know that WHATEVER they say in almost ANY situation, could be reinterpreted or misinterpreted or twisted in any manner, in tone, intention and meaning. As a result, that same fear of saying anything at all (which is repression and oppression) is now being felt by Whites.

“What can I say?” or “is this acceptable to say?” are questions Blacks have had to ask every time they spoke to anyone in public. Whites have had the freedom of knowing that, generally, they never have to second guess what they say.

Now, Whites are having to live through this uncertainty. It is new and foreign to them. And it is a good thing that they have to experience this same level of self doubt and confusion over simply communicating

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2020 10:02 PM

The people who critique him don’t watch him and probably think some non-binary screeching lunatic on Twitter is end-all-be-all to solving our problems.

by Anonymousreply 31June 28, 2020 10:03 PM

JESUS: “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!”

2020: “Jesus is CANCELED!”

by Anonymousreply 32June 28, 2020 10:04 PM

"Doesn’t matter. His mother is Jewish, he’s Jewish. End of story."

Well, since we've now heard from little Adolph, it's time to end this charade.

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 33June 28, 2020 10:19 PM

I concur, R33.

Bill Maher is on summer hiatus until July 31 anyway.

by Anonymousreply 34June 29, 2020 12:41 AM

Some idiot feels the need to make an OP every time Bill Maher opens his mouth. NO ONE CARES what Bill Maher has to say.

by Anonymousreply 35June 29, 2020 12:51 AM

Bill Maher is not Jewish. He was raised in his Irish-American father's Roman Catholic religion. Until his early teens, he was unaware that his mother, whose family was from Hungary, was Jewish. His mother's religion, about which she apparently didn't even know or didn't discuss, does not take precedence over this father's religion and his Maher's upbringing especially since no one in the family even knew or talked about a Jewish connection. Maher had no affiliation with Jewish religion or heritage. But he did have an association with the Catholic Church. Maher's father stopped taking Maher to church when he was 13 because the father disagreed with the Church's stance on birth control. Maher didn't automatically become Jewish simply because the family stopped going to church particularly because Maher nor anyone in the house didn't take up Judaism, which does not take precedence over other religions. .

Besides, as an adult, Maher declared himself an atheist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 29, 2020 12:55 AM

R36, Bill Maher is HALF Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 37June 29, 2020 2:09 AM

R36, Bill Maher is HALF Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 38June 29, 2020 2:09 AM

Does anyone care what old ass Bill Maher thinks? What’s with America’s obsession with the opinions of old white men (Maher, Rogen, etc).

by Anonymousreply 39June 29, 2020 2:13 AM

Bill Maher is still ethnically Jewish which is what the racists care about.

by Anonymousreply 40June 29, 2020 2:14 AM

Maher leaned into that Jewish heritage when he realized he wasnt going to move up in the comedy and media world without it.

by Anonymousreply 41June 29, 2020 2:19 AM

[quote]It’s good to be a Jew in show biz. Bill shows us they can get away with anything.

A Jew like Mel Gibson - oh, wait. Mel's had his, what, fifth comeback? Cut the shit. Hollywood is a business. If you can make a studio money they'll look past anything. It has nothing to do with religion, ethnicity, sexual assault, racism, homophobia, etc. it's a cutthroat industry.

by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2020 2:32 AM

[quote][R36], Bill Maher is HALF Jewish.

His mother is Jewish which makes him a full Jew, dear.

by Anonymousreply 43June 29, 2020 2:33 AM

Maher has done jokes about his Catholic upbringing and issues with it. He can play both sides because he is both sides. Doesn't make him anymore irrelevant or any less annoying. He's really out of touch. It happens. I still never understood the "I'm a libertarian" thing he always pulled out of his ass. He isn't. He always falls back on that when it's convenient. Meanwhile he cuts huge checks and supports nothing but liberal Democrats. He's your typical contrarian, and not a particularly bright one. Some of the things he's said I agree with, but most of them weren't original ideas and I'm sure he has tons of writers. In fact he used jokes from Datalounge. He must have gay writer on staff - unless he's secretly looking for dick.

by Anonymousreply 44June 29, 2020 2:36 AM

Who gives a shit?? Why does the Jew hater troll come on here with every Bill Maher thread?

That said, he does have a very Jewish sense of humor and delivery there’s no doubt. I think of him as a Jew-aetheist.

And what on the actual fuck did he say that’s remotely controversial. It’s what we’ve been saying here for weeks.

by Anonymousreply 45June 29, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote] It’s what we’ve been saying here for weeks.

Speak for yourself, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 46June 29, 2020 2:43 AM

R46 yes cancel everything, that’s the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 47June 29, 2020 2:45 AM

Nice non-sequitor.

by Anonymousreply 48June 29, 2020 2:47 AM

CANCEL BILL MAHER!!

Fuck this guy.

End him!

by Anonymousreply 49June 29, 2020 2:48 AM

[quote]His mother is Jewish which makes him a full Jew, dear.

R43. Ethnically, Maher is half Irish and half Jewish (not a full Jew) even though no one in his family seemed to know or discuss the Jewish side for years and years of their lives. However, religiously, he is not Jewish. He was brought us Irish practicing Catholicism. The Jewish part does not take precedence over being Catholic or over being any other religion especially when no one in the family ever even acknowledged there was some Jewish ancestry until many years later. As an adult, Maher declared himself an atheist.

by Anonymousreply 50June 29, 2020 3:08 AM

All of this "jew not a jew" talk is bullshit distraction. Maher was not raised in the Jewish faith. There is no such thing as "jewish" ethnicity. But none of that matters anyway.

What he said was stupid. You can never know what is in someone's heart. People who say racist things SHOULD be shamed.

by Anonymousreply 51June 29, 2020 3:19 AM

R44 yes, he has stolen from Datalounge multiple times.

In fact... the entire “skit” in OP is literally just a thread I OP’d on June 2nd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 29, 2020 3:19 AM

Are you complaining that the OP's clip isn't funny?

The monologue in the clip is the same as all those monologues on the TV show where the audience and holler laugh like mindless loons.

This Maher guy is never funny; he discussing stuff which is too serious to laugh about.

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2020 12:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!