Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Depeche Mode CANCELLED!

They will be forced to change "Master and Servant" to something that doesn't reinforce the racist patriarchy!

The song is LITERAL VIOLENCE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45a day ago

Gay-han

by Anonymousreply 1Last Saturday at 5:16 PM

Good thing I kept my CDs. I'm not convinced there will be nothing left on those streaming services by the time this fascism is over.

by Anonymousreply 2Last Saturday at 5:28 PM

anything left

by Anonymousreply 3Last Saturday at 5:29 PM

Oh bullshit.

It's one of the proto-wokest songs of the '80s. It criticized capitalism and the patriarchy with a bunch of hot BDSM talk.

Those twinks were kinky.

And Martin Gore, who wrote the song, is biracial — his dad is black, BTW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4Last Saturday at 5:35 PM

Death in a grease fire is too good for OP.

by Anonymousreply 5Last Saturday at 5:39 PM

Yes, Depeche Mode are the EPITOME of PROBLEMATIC

What with their history of hitting the pop charts with messages like this all the way back in 1984

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6Last Saturday at 5:42 PM

R6 Sounds too much like all lives matter for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 7Last Saturday at 5:51 PM

This video hit MTV when I was 8, and Alan Wilder (center) has been my ideal boyfriend prototype ever since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8Last Saturday at 5:58 PM

Depeche Mode were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in January.

by Anonymousreply 9Last Saturday at 8:30 PM

What are you going to do, cancel all of BDSM culture?

There are hundreds of rock and hip-hop artists with more offensive songs out there. Leave them alone!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10Last Saturday at 8:35 PM

R7, you should address that objection with Martin Gore, who also wrote that song — along with most of DM's songs — and is, again, biracial with a black biological parent.

by Anonymousreply 11Last Saturday at 8:43 PM

I'm not a big fan, but when Pandora unexpectedly throws this song at you, it stops you cold for a moment. I think it was banned on many radio stations in the US eons ago. So they are no strangers to controversy.

It would be a great theme song for the Year 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12Last Saturday at 8:56 PM

OP is just making shit up

by Anonymousreply 13Last Saturday at 9:24 PM

(R13) He is, really. However, given the stupidity of this cancel culture, which has already claimed Aunt Jemima as a victim, it isn't too far of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 14Last Saturday at 9:45 PM

R2, this isn't even real.

What is wrong with people like you, who immediately believe the trolls who make shit up (and that's all OP does, he's a complete waste of space) and start crying like babies about "fascism"? Pull yourself together.

by Anonymousreply 15Last Saturday at 9:50 PM

I would have guessed these boys would have all been overdosed and dead by now. See just how the lies and deceit gained a little more power. Confidence taken in by a sun tan and a grin.

by Anonymousreply 16Last Saturday at 9:52 PM

R15 what's wrong with us is that the jokes now look just like the news so no one's common sense alarm goes off anymore.

by Anonymousreply 17Last Saturday at 10:14 PM

Oh, bullshit, R17.

It means people are joking about obviously ridiculous things, but you're not honing your common sense alarm.

Objection 1: "I can't believe they're taking everything! What will be left in pop music?"

Objection 2: "Um, are they really canceling this band that was highly progressive in the '80s and whose main songwriter is half-black?"

What's the difference between #1 and #2? Knowledge; whatever's missing can be provided by a quick Google search.

by Anonymousreply 18Last Saturday at 10:22 PM

🙄 So OP got #thefeels over a fucking song that had nothing to do with racism, and made it out to be so because of the title. Seriously, fuck off with your fascism and cancel culture over words you don’t like.

by Anonymousreply 19Last Saturday at 10:32 PM

There is actually a huge stretch between Aunt Jemima and Depeche Mode, R14.

It could actually be argued that this stretch could not possibly be bigger.

But you know that.

by Anonymousreply 20Last Saturday at 10:39 PM

Yeah, Depeche Mode, why it gotta be a BLACK Celebration?! Cancelled!

by Anonymousreply 21Last Saturday at 11:01 PM

Yes, (R20), I know. We're living in a theater of the absurd.

by Anonymousreply 22Last Saturday at 11:16 PM

Pretty sure OP is joking, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 23Last Saturday at 11:22 PM

Thanks, we have determined that, Barb @ R23.

by Anonymousreply 24Last Saturday at 11:23 PM

But we knew that.

by Anonymousreply 25Last Saturday at 11:31 PM

The most fey straight guys ever.

I would have happily served all of them as long as they wanted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26Last Sunday at 12:45 AM

not 100% straight. See DL thread from 2008!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27Last Sunday at 12:52 AM

Oh fuck...Dude doesn’t LOOK like a lady....Dude IS a lady. Don’t cancel us!!!

by Anonymousreply 28Last Sunday at 1:01 AM

[quote]OP is just making shit up

OMG, it was A FUCKING JOKE.

Some of you have a giant stick up your asses.

by Anonymousreply 29Last Sunday at 7:31 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 30Last Sunday at 7:40 AM

[quote]Who?

All I ever wanted, all I ever needed

by Anonymousreply 31Last Sunday at 10:07 AM

Martin was really cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32Last Sunday at 11:19 AM

You're an idiot, OP. I bet you voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 33Last Sunday at 11:29 AM

OP is an asshole with no supporting link because there isn't one. This is becoming tiring.

by Anonymousreply 34Last Sunday at 11:34 AM

IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

IT. WAS. A. JOKE.

by Anonymousreply 35Last Sunday at 11:46 AM

R14, if you don’t understand why Aunt Jenima had to go, then you are either an idiot or a racist yourself. Give me a fucking break.

by Anonymousreply 36Last Sunday at 11:51 AM

Dave Gahan's biological father is of Indian-Malaysian descent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37Last Sunday at 1:57 PM

Who cancelled them, OP? You, you trolling piece of shit. Only you. No material, but needed to make a thread. ANYTHING FOR ATTENTION.

by Anonymousreply 38Last Sunday at 2:42 PM

Black people don't own the words master and slave. Whatever happened in the U.S., which is basically a nation in it's infancy doesn't hold a candle to what has happened in the world prior to it's creation. Everyone has enslaved everyone so everyone can use the fucking words MASTER or SLAVE (servant) whenever they want.

by Anonymousreply 39Last Sunday at 3:41 PM

"it" meaning the United States.

by Anonymousreply 40Last Sunday at 3:42 PM

Dave Gahan has aged well.

Shown here with his daughter and stepson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41Last Sunday at 8:34 PM

I found Dave Gahan very sexy, without being conventionally attractive. On the stage, he is hypnotic.

by Anonymousreply 42Last Sunday at 9:15 PM

R42 I agree.

Even in his 50's, Dave still looked quite sexy while performing onstage in Berlin in 2018.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43Last Sunday at 9:53 PM

R42 and R43, couldn't agree more. Gahan just has a certain something! Here's he is doing Enjoy the Silence (a bit earlier, maybe late 30's or early 40's). Rawr! But I also remember his little clean-cut early mtv days doing "I just can't get enough" and being charmed as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44Last Monday at 9:36 PM

Pimpf

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45a day ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!