Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET Cecile DePoulignac

From Queen of Tanquir to....what, head cashier at Target?

I shouldn't mention her name. She's a force of evil and she'll come around as soon as she's mentioned!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353June 18, 2020 3:45 AM

Our prior thread, darlings.

Oh, and I was the OP, too, but much more commonly known as.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2020 10:15 PM

I never understood why they never tried to get Susan Keith back in the part after Nancy Frangione left to move to L.A.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2020 10:16 PM

Thanks, Miss Donna!

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2020 10:18 PM

Because you can't go back to ground beef after you've had filet mignon, R2.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2020 10:20 PM

R4 = Cecile!

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2020 10:21 PM

lol, I have no fucking clue who she was but that's a fabulous photo

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2020 10:24 PM

Miss Wheeler asked me to thank you, Original Recipe Donna. She sneered as she muttered "that slut Cecile" when she thought I couldn't hear her, and ended it with "Just ask Donna Hudson."

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2020 10:25 PM

R6 She was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2020 10:25 PM

Buck Rogers called. He wants his Toni back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2020 10:30 PM

From the last thread, discussing the Locher Room meetup with GL's Cooper family:

[quote] She didn’t name the character. I thought it was cute that she had a choice of testing for one contract role or starting right away in the then non contract role of Jenna, the cat burglar. And she chose the one who wouldn’t have to cry. Although I think Jenna ended up crying a fair amount.

I'm sure the Where Is Your Source queen will disapprove, but I seem to remember reading in an old chat discussion somewhere that she was offered Francesca, who was Mallet's wife and was initially a 3 year role.

But the wet dishrag that played Francesca made that story scoot along more quickly than it was supposed to, I think - that and the fact that when Harley and Mallet got together there were a year or so out from Derwin and Ehlers' contracts ending, so they probably played out what they could before they left.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2020 10:42 PM

Recent picture of Susan Keith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]I never understood why they never tried to get Susan Keith back in the part after Nancy Frangione left to move to L.A.

By the time Nancy left AW as Cecile, Susan Keith was already playing Shanna on Loving, so she was unavailable.

But as r4 alluded, Nancy had made the role completely her own, taken the character places that Susan Keith never could have. So, bringing Susan back as Cecile would have been a bad fit.

Another complicating factor is the fact there was bad blood between Susan and AW. As I recall, in 1981 when Susan Keith's contract came up for renewal, she asked for a lot more money. She'd done great things with the Cecile character and certainly was deserving of a raise. Paul Rauch was still EP at the time and often liked to intimidate the actors, especially the woman. So, he played hardball in the negotiations.

Things broke down and so Rauch ended negotiations and recast the part with Nancy Frangione. To add insult to injury, Nancy was literally a next day recast. Susan's last day on air was June 4, 1981, Nancy's first was June 5, 1981.

Of course, given that it was Rauch, there may also have been a bit of sexual harrasment going on, which would have complicated negotiations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2020 11:02 PM

R10 the role was Eve Guthrie

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2020 11:04 PM

R13 that could be.

Hilary Edson was such a dishrag in that role, too. Would have been interesting to see Fiona make Eve more of a Christiana Amapour type of globetrotter.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote] I seem to remember reading in an old chat discussion somewhere that she (Fiona) was offered Francesca, who was Mallet's wife and was initially a 3 year role.

Wrong role - Francesca was cast in 1991 - Jenna was cast in 1992

Again the role that was offered was Eve Guthrie - she turned it down for Jenna

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2020 11:13 PM

Aunt Liz here. Someone in the previous thread inquired about my whereabouts. Apologies for being absent, but I've been busy eavesdropping as usual. This time on protest marches! I've been glued to my television in recent day. This is all so fascinating watching this unfold each day. Especially here in LA where we also had severe looting and vandalism. So, its been must see TV for me!

Also, I must admit that I wasn't watching GL consistently in the late 80s. I was busy working and only had one VCR, which was recording the NBC soaps. So, I only got to watch GL when I was home at 3 p.m. And the Sonni/Solita story was quite confusing even when you watched it every day. Only tuning in occasionally made the Sonni/Solita story especially perplexing. I suspect other viewers had similar reactions, which showed up in the ratings.

Thus, I wasn't participating muchin the last thread since I didn't have the info on Sonni/Solita to contribute.

But kisses to Original Recipe Donna for starting this new thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what people have to say about our dear Cecile.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2020 11:13 PM

Fiona certainly could have done some interesting things with the Eve role.

As beautiful as Hillary Edson was, she really did come across as a dishrag as Eve. She was a limited actress, no question about that. But I don't think the writers did much to help develop the character either.

I suspect the show wanted to create a Eve-Nick-Mindy triangle. But that all got waylaid when Kimberly Simms left when she and the TPTB couldn't come to terms on her contract. Hillary started in May 1992, Kimberly left in July 1992. So, Eve ended up in limbo for a long time until the show decided to pair her with Ed.

As many have said here over the years, show should have paired Ed with Holly after Maureen died. Or brought back Rita. Or Claire. Or even gone forward with an Ed and Lillian pairing. So many possibilities given Ed's long history. But instead, they wimp out and pair Ed with Eve! Just one of many, many foolish choices the show started making in 1993. Of course those bad choices grew exponentially in 1994.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2020 11:30 PM

Loved in the Cooper reunion when Beth Ehlers said upon meeting Justin Deas when he started as Buzz, "Oh you're the producer's boyfriend"

I guess that makes Justin the original Friend of Jill.

by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2020 11:32 PM

Tiny correction, Aunt Liz-she actually said “Oh, so you’re the executuve producer’s boyfriend”!

by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2020 11:35 PM

thanks r19.

by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2020 11:36 PM

Which character called her “Cecil”. Was it Molly Ordway?

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2020 11:39 PM

[quote]Which character called her “Cecil”.

Her erstwhile partner in crime, Alma Rudder.

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2020 11:41 PM

Shared here many times but I love, love, LOVE these scenes.

And not just my part in them!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2020 11:44 PM

I always thought AW missed a giant opportunity for not having Cecile intent on wrecking Iris’ life. Iris is the one who got Philip Lyons to woo and then dump her. Of course it would have been way more satisfying if Beverlee McKinsey was still playing Iris.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2020 11:45 PM

Oh Cecile. How I loved her. The way she bounced from one Cory heir to the next without a hair out of place. Even took a run at Mac, right?

It takes one to know one, Rachel.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2020 11:48 PM

Nancy Frangione was based in LA as her hubby Chris Rich (Sandy Cory) was making a good living in episodic

So they could lure her back for "limited" runs, a week here, a week there and mostly just adding complications to Cass love life

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2020 11:48 PM

I think that's part of why we have such fond memories of her.

GL had a bit of the same with India, but like AW, interest in the character(s) petered out and/or no one knew then how to write that sort of short term fun.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2020 11:50 PM

[quote]Shared here many times but I love, love, LOVE these scenes.

Great fun. But the reaction of Carmen Duncan's Iris to Cecile moving in with her is another demonstration that the character bore little resemblance to Beverlee McKinsey's Iris.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2020 11:56 PM

R22 Yes, of course! Thank you

by Anonymousreply 29June 6, 2020 12:08 AM

Did any of you watch Somerset? I'm watching The Doctors new streaming service right now and I really like Pamela Toll who played Nurse Liz Wilson on there. When I looked her up on IMDB it says that after she left The Doctors, she played one of the characters that were added to AW for a short period to spin off to Somerset. She played Pamela 'Pammy' Davis on AW and Somerset.

by Anonymousreply 30June 6, 2020 1:45 AM

R17 I thought they did do a Nick/Eve/Mindy triangle? Wasn't Eve obsessed with Nick at one point? I remember some tension and then Mindy stepped up and helped her get her medical license back, despite whatever she had done to her.

The Cooper reunion got dicey when Alan brought up all of Harley's men. Was there any fan who wasn't thinking 'and you've had several of them in real life too'? She sure couldn't separate reality from fiction.

by Anonymousreply 31June 6, 2020 2:00 AM

R17 Yes, they did do that for a little bit, and then once Eve got better that's when she got together with Ed.

by Anonymousreply 32June 6, 2020 2:04 AM

[quote] I thought they did do a Nick/Eve/Mindy triangle?

But it got stopped cold in its tracks when Kimberly Simms was dismissed from the show, so they had to change the storyline in a hurry

by Anonymousreply 33June 6, 2020 2:14 AM

I liked Beth Ehlers in the reunion. She seemed to like everyone and just struck me as no bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2020 2:31 AM

R34 Beth Ehlers character was really popular with audiences

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2020 2:34 AM

Don't forget that Beth Ehlers was given the honor in the special 70th anniversary show, of portraying the Mother of the Soap Opera and GL, ATWT, AW, etc. creator Irna Phillips.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2020 2:38 AM

Hillary Bailey Smith is in the new SOD with a transcript of a recent podcast she did with Digest, mentions a lot about ATWT.

(Based on the Martha Byrne one it should be posted on the Digest website soon)

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2020 2:52 AM

R2, I loved Susan Keith in the part -- tho that's like saying I prefer Glynnis O'Connor as Margo to some.

AW lost all its history; unlike GL which had Bauers till the end (granted they were reduced greatly) and ATWt which had Hugheses and Stewarts and Lisa till the end , AW only had Rachel; they lost ALL their history from the 1970s early 80s; I always think that's why it went so early;

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2020 3:57 AM

Does anyone prefer O'Connor as Margo? It was nice to see a Margo with some femininity for a change. (I still can't believe Dolan is straight.)

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2020 1:59 PM

Why did Dolan leave and then come back fairly quickly?

by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2020 2:06 PM

I think she actually mentioned that in her Locher Room chat. She left to try LA, got a pilot, wasn't getting anywhere, then heard they were re-casting and called them up to see if they would take her back.

by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2020 2:28 PM

If Glynis O'Connor had brought Billy Joe McAllister back with her to play Tom, maybe then I could have accepted her as Margo. But he had to jump off that damned bridge.

Ellen Dolan is the only Margo I ever knew. She was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 42June 6, 2020 2:39 PM

I saw all the Margos. Margaret Colin was so wonderful, Hillary Bailey Smith was acceptable, Ellen Dolan was so butch, and Glynis O'Connor was...short.

I once talked to someone in the know about Scott Holmes. She said Goutman hated him. Not personally, just as Tom. I said, then he needs to fire Holmes because Tom was too important to be hidden away. But she said Goutman was afraid to fire Holmes and he hoped that by starving him he would quit.

by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2020 2:53 PM

Glynis was the worst Margo ever. She looked more like Tom's mom than his wife.

by Anonymousreply 44June 6, 2020 3:49 PM

A thread about Cecil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 6, 2020 3:56 PM

Oh, Alma, stuff it and get me a cuppa coffee.

by Anonymousreply 46June 6, 2020 4:01 PM

Anne Heche Emmy Reel

There is a point where Donna slaps Vicky, and Vicky slaps her back

Someone who worked on the show comments on the video the second slap wasn't scripted. Anne threw it in, and Anna stayed in character being outraged as Donna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 6, 2020 4:05 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 48June 6, 2020 4:09 PM

JIM!

by Anonymousreply 49June 6, 2020 4:14 PM

Huge news out of Y&R! Shari Shattuck is returning as Ashley Abbott! She was on set before the production hiatus. Peter Bergman and Beth Maitland are absolutely thrilled!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50June 6, 2020 5:31 PM

We don't care here, R50. (And I doubt it's real.)

These folks will, though. Share it with them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 6, 2020 9:16 PM

In the previous thread someone said Ehlers now works in NJ government. As what? Anymore details?

by Anonymousreply 52June 6, 2020 10:34 PM

and that would matter.....why?

by Anonymousreply 53June 6, 2020 10:35 PM

Best thing about Hillary Edison was being paired with that smokin' hot guy on AW. I can't remember the actor's name or his character's name but Jesus he was a hunk. About 6'3", gorgeous body and hair. His character was living in some rafters when he started.

Anyone remember?

by Anonymousreply 54June 6, 2020 10:38 PM

R53

I'm just curious.

by Anonymousreply 55June 6, 2020 10:39 PM

[quote] Ehlers now works in NJ government. As what? Anymore details?

She went back to school to get her degree in political science and now works as a constituency assistant

But she is dipping her toe back into acting as she will be in a new podcast drama

by Anonymousreply 56June 6, 2020 10:58 PM

R54

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 6, 2020 10:59 PM

Actor's name is Kevin Carrigan - a more recent photo of him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 6, 2020 11:00 PM

[quote] Best thing about Hillary Edison was being paired with that smokin' hot guy on AW. I can't remember the actor's name or his character's name but Jesus he was a hunk. About 6'3", gorgeous body and hair. His character was living in some rafters when he started.

as R57 provided the video = that was the Beauty & The Beast storyline

However the actors didn't get along (even though the actor who played Derek was popular on personal appearance circuit) plus the actor in question was a bit difficult behind the scenes (which he admitted to in a later interview)

because of the feuding, the show decided to cut their losses and axed the Derek character (keeping Stacey, because she had more ties to different characters)

But then Stacey got axed a few months later.

by Anonymousreply 59June 6, 2020 11:02 PM

There will be a Bauer Bar-B-Cue reunion on 6/26 at 6pE/5pC

Cast confirmed are:

Phillip, Doris, Beth, Olivia, Frank, Holly, Bridget, Dylan, Gilly, Josh, Reva, Lillian, Michelle, Eleni, Hope, Mindy (KT), Danny, Dinah (Gina T.), Remy, Tony, Mel

by Anonymousreply 60June 6, 2020 11:22 PM

Wow, what a clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 61June 6, 2020 11:30 PM

Elvera Roussel Only worked with Maureen Garrett, Grant Aleksander and Robert Newman, and she really didn’t have story with them. Was she still on the show when Krista showed up?

by Anonymousreply 62June 7, 2020 12:37 AM

A brief overlap. Krista started in May 1983. Elvera was gone by Nov 1983.

by Anonymousreply 63June 7, 2020 1:59 AM

Harley Jane Kozak made a comment on the Variety message board about the passing of Mary Pat Gleason (Guiding Light)

"This breaks my heart. Not only one of the funniest actors ever, but an endlessly kind human being."

by Anonymousreply 64June 7, 2020 2:29 AM

^^^

I was surprised Gleason won an Emmy for writing GL. I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 65June 7, 2020 4:00 AM

R65 I didn't know she wrote for them. I knew she had acted on there. Did her acting and writing on GL overlap?

by Anonymousreply 66June 7, 2020 4:16 AM

Regarding Mary Pat Gleason, I noticed on Allison Janney's instagram, a comment from Vincent Irizarry. He acknowledged working with her on GL with fondness.

by Anonymousreply 67June 7, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote] I was surprised Gleason won an Emmy for writing GL. I had no idea.

She was part of the team that won. I think it was the end of Pam Long's first run in 1985 that won, awarded in 1986. This was a few years after she'd played Alexandra's maid, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 68June 7, 2020 3:21 PM

R68 Mary Pat Gleason actually played Pam Long maid (when she played Ashley) on Texas

When Pam went to Guiding Light, she brought along alot of former Texas actors & writers including Mary Pat Gleason

by Anonymousreply 69June 7, 2020 3:24 PM

R69 I thought I read something about Pam and Mary Pat before, thanks for explaining the connection.

by Anonymousreply 70June 7, 2020 3:25 PM

I stopped watching soaps a decade ago

I was reading the list of 2020 Daytime Emmy nominations. And I was a bit surprised to see some of the writers such as Gold, Dunn, Lorraine Broderick still around.

by Anonymousreply 71June 7, 2020 3:41 PM

R63, I believe Elvera aired in January 1984

So hard to believe she never popped up after Alan Michael came back.

Like when he got married to Harley.

Or Blake.

or when he was shot.

or when his Aunt Maureen died.

Or when he married Eleni.

And Ed needed help with Michelle; Roussel would have organically fit back in as a Bauer matriarch.

by Anonymousreply 72June 7, 2020 6:27 PM

When JFP was the exec producer, there was talk about bringing Robin Mattson (and not Elvera) in as Hope. Robin had, of course, played the role as a child/teen.

The thinking was that they could pair Mattson and Justin Deas again.

For whatever reason, it didn't happen but Mattson did come to NYC around the same time to play Janet on AMC. JFP decided to go after another former Santa Barbara player and thus we got Marcy Walker as Tangerine Orange Lemoncello Mango Hill.

But agreed, I am surprised they never had her appear, even for a short time.

Then again, who knows - if they had they probably would have recast Hope with someone way younger, like they did with Amanda.

by Anonymousreply 73June 7, 2020 7:03 PM

R71

I'm blanking. Who is Dunn?

by Anonymousreply 74June 7, 2020 7:11 PM

Chris Dunn.

He (I think?) was one of the four writers they were rotating at the end of GL, along with Kreizman, Lucky Gold and Jill Lorie Hurst - who should have been doing it all along, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 75June 7, 2020 7:54 PM

R75 he was co-head writer (with Lloyd Gold) also in 2001-02 during last months of Paul Rauch.

by Anonymousreply 76June 7, 2020 9:06 PM

R76 Yes, I think that was roughly the era of Lorelai/Beth?

I could be mistaken but I thought that was a Gold/Dunn story.

by Anonymousreply 77June 7, 2020 9:31 PM

R76. yeah, I associate Gold&Dunn with Lorelai/Beth

by Anonymousreply 78June 7, 2020 9:35 PM

Cecile was on Digest's This Day in Soap History

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 8, 2020 12:13 AM

The thing is Mattson wouldn't have played Hope on GL. She would have played Gina. And Deas was playing zany and over the top.

by Anonymousreply 80June 8, 2020 1:50 AM

and they shouldn't have gone with a younger Hope; Roussel would have fit the maternal part nicely.

De-aging Amanda was a mistake. Kathleen Cullen was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 81June 8, 2020 1:51 AM

True enough on both R80 and R81.

by Anonymousreply 82June 8, 2020 1:54 AM

Let’s keep this topic to Cecile, the Queen of Tanqueray.

by Anonymousreply 83June 8, 2020 1:57 AM

R83 = Cecile

by Anonymousreply 84June 8, 2020 1:58 AM

Any thoughts about Mattson showing up on Another World instead of AMC or GL circa 1993-94? She could play Rachel's long-lost half-sister, Pammy.

by Anonymousreply 85June 8, 2020 2:01 AM

Mattson played Noah hooker mom on ATWT

She and Martha Byrne (Lily) would be in-laws!

by Anonymousreply 86June 8, 2020 2:03 AM

I'd forgotten about that. Sadly it was the blink of an eye, and wasn't it also related to the Emily story?

by Anonymousreply 87June 8, 2020 2:07 AM

R85 That was the character I asked about earlier, that was spun off onto Somerset, and was played by Pamela Toll. Does anyone remember her? What kind of a character was she? I'm currently watching Pamela on The Doctors, as Liz Wilson, and she is one of my favorite actresses on there.

by Anonymousreply 88June 8, 2020 2:11 AM

R81, Mattson would have looked plenty maternal by 2005, when she could have returned.

Toby Poser was horrible casting as Amanda and not just because she was too young. She didn’t look like she could ever be the offspring of Jennifer and Alan.

by Anonymousreply 89June 8, 2020 4:32 AM

OK, I remember now that Amanda turned out to be Brandon’s biological daughter. Nice way of them to piss on Doyg Marland’s work. And the revelation made zero impact.

by Anonymousreply 90June 8, 2020 4:35 AM

I really liked Tobey Poser as an actress, but hated what they did with the Amanda character when they cast Tobey in the role.

deSORASing Amanda and changing her paternity really was an insult to the show's loyal viewers.

by Anonymousreply 91June 8, 2020 4:46 AM

And wasn’t Amanda #2 a Hollywood madam like Heidi Fleiss? So stupid.

by Anonymousreply 92June 8, 2020 2:42 PM

Yes, and Matt was one of her escorts.

by Anonymousreply 93June 8, 2020 2:53 PM

I always wonder what goes through a writer's head when they decide to just upend a show's history that way. I think all characters are open to reinterpretation, but it's gotta be on the page. Everything has got to be plotted out so carefully and you need months of set up to even attempt it.

by Anonymousreply 94June 8, 2020 4:55 PM

It just showed huge disrespect to Doug Marland and his extensively detailed long-term story. Amanda being Jennifer and Alan’s biological daughter was a major storyline for at least a year.

by Anonymousreply 95June 8, 2020 5:28 PM

The only history Amanda had was Alan being her father, and she had dated Ross

A better use of Toby Poser would have been to introduce her as a brand new character claiming she was the illigit daughter of Brandon Spaulding - just start from scratch if the writers wanted to throw a new female character in the Spaulding mix

by Anonymousreply 96June 8, 2020 5:32 PM

[quote]Buck Rogers called. He wants his Toni back.

He looks like he also wants a couple of slices of bread to stuff into his underwear.

by Anonymousreply 97June 8, 2020 5:32 PM

R96, you forgot she also had an affair with her mother’s husband Mark and ended up having a son with him.

by Anonymousreply 98June 8, 2020 5:38 PM

R98 yeah but when she back that wasn't even mentioned at all - so again what was the point in bringing her back if they are not going to use her past history

by Anonymousreply 99June 8, 2020 5:41 PM

True, R99. I was wrong about Amanda having Mark’s child, it was Jennifer who had Matthew.

by Anonymousreply 100June 8, 2020 5:43 PM

[quote] The only history Amanda had was Alan being her father, and she had dated Ross

When I started watching, Amanda was in a triangle with Ben (later Jamie Frame) and Evie, Rita's sister.

by Anonymousreply 101June 8, 2020 5:48 PM

More absolutely horrific news about Judi Evans.

She has developed COVID19 while hospitalized. She now has blood clots in both legs. The doctors said she would need both legs amputated. When taken to the OR she was not anesticised and experienced the cutting.

by Anonymousreply 102June 8, 2020 6:59 PM

It said

" she NEARLY had both legs amputated on two different occasions"

by Anonymousreply 103June 8, 2020 7:01 PM

r102

where are you seeing this?

by Anonymousreply 104June 8, 2020 7:01 PM

Link below for Judi update

Hopefully her SAG medical insurance will cover this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 8, 2020 7:03 PM

Here's a link

"Her publicist, Howie Simon, updated the actress’s health status on his Facebook page. [Judi] contracted COVID-19 while [in the hospital] and she had what is known as the COVID blood clots in her legs and she nearly had both legs amputated on two different occasions,” Simon reports. “She had mild symptoms – fever, aches, a cough and the blood clots.”

What an asinine statement. "She had mild symptoms...except for nearly needing amputations!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 8, 2020 7:06 PM

thanks r105 and r106

WTF.. she should get a nice chunk of change when she sues them

by Anonymousreply 107June 8, 2020 7:07 PM

Geez Louise. Poor Judi.

On a lighter note I love this from Oakdalian on Twitter:

Back to my theory on the love-sharing Snyders: all 3 sisters had Craig Montgomery; all 3 brothers had Angel Lange; 2 sisters had Kirk Anderson; 2 sisters had Dusty Donovan; 2 brothers had Julie Wendall; 2 brothers & a cousin had Carly Tenney; 2 cousins had Betsy Stewart; 2 brothers had Katie Peretti; mother & daughter had John Dixon. I’ll inhale one of Mabel’s red hots if I’ve left anyone out!

by Anonymousreply 108June 8, 2020 10:05 PM

R108 when Seth started to date Betsy there is a scene where Kim takes Seth to task

Saying "Seth, you have gone from Fannie, to Sabrina and to now Betsy. I feel like you are moving in on daughter number 3"

by Anonymousreply 109June 8, 2020 10:11 PM

r109

I love scenes like that... they rarely happen anymore but happen in real life all the time

by Anonymousreply 110June 8, 2020 10:24 PM

I would happily donate to a GoFundMe for Judi.

by Anonymousreply 111June 8, 2020 10:29 PM

Shortly after the changed Amanda's paternity to make her Brandon's spawn, they started dropping hints that Michelle was really Rick's child, not Ed's. they even showed a flashback clip of Rick and Claire at the hospital breakroom and laid some crumbs to suggest the two slept together. This was about 1998 while Brown and Essenstein were the HWs.

I quickly wrote a letter of complaint to the show, insisting that Ed must remain Michelle's father. This is significant since I didn't (and still don't) write letters to the shows.

Obviously, the Michelle paternity switch never happened. But the fact that Brown and Essenstein had the gall to change Amanda's paternity outraged me enough to write that letter.

I was not a fan of the B&E writing tenure, but I will say, they lacked subtlety in their writing. So it was easy enough to figure out where they were heading when they showed that flashback clip.

by Anonymousreply 112June 9, 2020 7:16 AM

Judi is going to be interviewed Tuesday on GMA.

by Anonymousreply 113June 9, 2020 7:47 AM

r113 Was she ever on an ABC soap?

by Anonymousreply 114June 9, 2020 7:51 AM

R114 No

by Anonymousreply 115June 9, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote] I was not a fan of the B&E writing tenure

They killed off Jenna - to free up Buzz to give him a story

by Anonymousreply 116June 9, 2020 2:48 PM

Judi is in literally 15 seconds of the clip. Delivered by Matt Gutman's hot ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117June 9, 2020 2:52 PM

R117 = Must See TV for Gutman fans. He's even Kuter post-Kobe Kontroversy.

by Anonymousreply 118June 9, 2020 3:00 PM

R116 Is that why? I thought Buzz and Jenna were a big-deal couple in those days, so logically, it seems that the story for Buzz would have been WITH Jenna. But as established, B&E weren't usually being logical about it. I remember even before this they had Jenna sleep with her ex and then preach the 'I had to seduce him in order to save Buzz' mantra, and she got pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 119June 9, 2020 3:16 PM

Didn't Fiona cross the powers that be and they took revenge on her?

I don't get structuring so much of the show around Buzz; Justin is regarded as this great actor but all I see is vamping and scenery chewing and acting confused.

Another retcon was Alan screwing the maid to create Gus. OMG. Around that time, he was juggling Elizabeth, Jackie, and Hope and he also had Diane Ballard sniffing around him.

There was no Italian maid. there was that British lady named Maggie. I think she was British; maybe Irish.

by Anonymousreply 120June 9, 2020 5:06 PM

Never cared for the Harley character except her first go around. She became shrill and wasn’t pretty enough to be having all those men after her.

by Anonymousreply 121June 9, 2020 9:43 PM

Ah, the very end of Bernau's time on GL, I assume.

It took, what, another eight years for the cocktail, didn't it? So sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 9, 2020 11:15 PM

No, R122, only about four or five. My brother died from AIDS-related toxic plasmosis, was in forefront of drug trials for it and died in 1992 in SF. He was one of those in “the last wave” who didn’t stay alive in time for the cocktail.

The cocktail did save Robert Gentry, though.

by Anonymousreply 123June 9, 2020 11:19 PM

^^^^

The cocktail arrived in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 124June 9, 2020 11:56 PM

"Frannie Hughes" had some awesomely big hair in that GL clip.

by Anonymousreply 125June 10, 2020 12:07 AM

To this date Chris Bernau's Alan is my favorite soap performance ever. And it's funny when I think back on it now what a queen he sometimes was but I didn't notice it as a teenager! I loved when Mike Bauer was always hounding him, trying to prove he was involved in some conspiracy from years ago, and Alan was always exasperated. It was so cool how that storyline bubbled under for years.

by Anonymousreply 126June 10, 2020 1:16 AM

R126 watch his performance as Phillip Todd on Dark Shadows. Chris just could not hide the gay.

by Anonymousreply 127June 10, 2020 2:01 AM

I watched Alan Locher's Duncan/Shannon reunion, and he seems to be taking our interviewing advice to heart. He asked Michael Swan and Margaret Reed interesting, probing questions about their time on ATWT; their co-workers, the storylines, etc. I had no idea those two were involved romantically! They said they broke up right around the time Duncan and Shannon got married, which was difficult, but that they were both professionals about it.

There was absolutely NOTHING about their differing politics, and they didn't seem to have any hostility toward one another. It's too bad Michael is such a Trump freak, because otherwise he seems like such a nice, cheerful guy. No mention of his other ex, the troubled Finn Carter (Sierra). It was lighthearted and fun, and I have to say, I really, really enjoyed it.

And yes, they are both still hot, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 128June 10, 2020 2:08 AM

Finn Carter is troubled? Details please

by Anonymousreply 129June 10, 2020 2:10 AM

R126 there was a scene between Alan and Beth where he was trying to get under her skin and, it must’ve been an improvised line, but Beth just rolled her eyes and said something like, “yeah you’re big and bad but just tell me this and I’ll act intimidated” but that was the gist not word for word. Berneau let the queen out for a second with his exasperated reaction. He could never get the best of Beth.

I understand some people got lost in the Sonni/ Solita storyline but I don’t see how anyone tuning in and couldn’t find it completely compelling because of first the performances and second it was classic soapy soap opera but done on a much better level. However, ratings were surprisingly flat during it. It was so good. One of the best I’ve ever seen on a soap.

by Anonymousreply 130June 10, 2020 2:29 AM

R128 Yes, Michael Swan is actually hotter now than he was then, but shame about how deeply deplorable he is.

by Anonymousreply 131June 10, 2020 3:06 AM

Patrick Mulcahey had a series of tweets today about racism and soaps

by Anonymousreply 132June 10, 2020 4:17 AM

R129, when Liz Hubbard was on with Alan a few weeks ago she wasn’t very enthusiastic about Finn Carter. Martha Byrne sort of spoke up with nice things to say but it was clear Liz wasn’t crazy about her.

by Anonymousreply 133June 10, 2020 4:18 AM

She wasn't exactly mean about Finn but said something like "she was new and doing it her own way" or that she didn't want to work in the same way Martha and Liz did together, not the same process.

by Anonymousreply 134June 10, 2020 4:20 AM

R129

Finn was arrested a year or so ago. I can't remember the charges but she looked like drugged out & very unkempt in her mug shot.

It wasn't her first arrest either.

by Anonymousreply 135June 10, 2020 4:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 10, 2020 4:53 AM

R136 Damn, I wouldn't have guessed that was a woman, not even a butch lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 137June 10, 2020 5:08 AM

Yeah, I remember it like R135. Liz Hubbard and Martha Byrne were talking a lot about how they worked on scenes and how much Martha learned from Liz. When Finn Carter's name came up Liz just mentioned that she was new to it all. It resonated with me because I never liked Sierra, partly because she was such a bad actress compared to most of the others on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 138June 10, 2020 5:15 AM

Perhaps Finn was miscast as a Freedom Fighter from a third world country.

She and Bryce were magic together.

Once a few bars of 'Suddenly' would play, no one else stood a chance.

I can't say I hated Rattray as Lily; it would have been odd if she'd come back at the end instead of the show casting Noelle Beck.

Hinsey would write in her column stuff like "On ATWT, we had Holden and TRISHA FROM LOVING in a scene..."

She had a point.

I have on VHS this AMAZING episode in which Phillip and Chelsea are riding out a heat wave in August at the lighthouse; Grant hums a few bars of the Tonight Show theme; is a fee charged? Anywho, Alan shows up with papers. Phillip wants out as a Spaulding? Alan says great let's make it legal. Chelsea goes out for air; and the two men THROW DOWN.

It's freaking Emmy-worthy. Grant is spectacular and so is Chris. Alan says: I'm tired of your UNENDING, INCESSANT, JUDGEMENT!

Just brilliant. I'll put it on YouTube someday.

by Anonymousreply 139June 10, 2020 5:29 AM

I liked Mary Beth as the adult Siera. I thought she worked really well with Martha & Liz.

by Anonymousreply 140June 10, 2020 7:49 AM

Agreed. I was shocked at how quickly I accepted Mary Beth as Sierra. Was she the only Goutman recast that worked? Certainly Dusty, Craig, and Meg did not.

by Anonymousreply 141June 10, 2020 11:43 AM

[quote]Certainly Dusty, Craig, and Meg did not.

To say nothing of Lily, r141.

by Anonymousreply 142June 10, 2020 11:45 AM

R161

I have to disagree. I loved Hunt Block as Craig. In fact he was my favorite Craig. I also liked Grayson as Dusty. Yes, he was different than the original Dusty but people change over 20+ years. I thought he was got AF and had chemistry with everyone they him in scenes with.

Wilson's Meg was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 143June 10, 2020 12:41 PM

R143 is a cuntface!

by Anonymousreply 144June 10, 2020 2:00 PM

I thought Finn was perfection as Sierra (though I had no objection to Mary Beth). Her shaky, sometimes-timid delivery mixed with almost Tourette's-like outbursts seemed, to me, realistic for a character who had not only suffered maternal abandonment, but a revolution that destroyed her entire way of life.

by Anonymousreply 145June 10, 2020 2:24 PM

Sorry, no. Hunt Block was Craig in name only. Same with Grayson as Dusty and Roger and Paul. Hunt Block's Craig was directly responsible for Sierra's husband's death. That is character assassination. Dusty had no relationship with John and pairing him with Jennifer was practically incest. Of course people change, but a good writer can give motivation for that change. These people had entire histories that were just ignored in attempts to create Sonny Corinthos anti-heroes.

by Anonymousreply 146June 10, 2020 2:27 PM

I never saw Hunt Block on ATWT but I watched him as Ben on GL in his early run. Very one note actor who clenched his jaw all the time.

by Anonymousreply 147June 10, 2020 2:32 PM

By the time Grayson McCouch was playing Dusty Donovan, the writing was so bad, not even Grayson could make me watch it. And I adored him as Morgan Winthrop. Hell, I even watched that Civil War drama he did for CW (or was it still the WB?). I thought he was one of the hottest men on planet earth.

But WT had become such a shitshow by that point. And that buzz cut they forced him to wear—bleah! that man has some of the most beautiful hair ever placed on someone's head. Those morons ruined him. Maybe if he had turned gay and fully-frontally fucked Luke in the ass for five minutes each episode, I could have watched. But they ruined him.

I used to take classes at Carnegie Mellon. On the walkway outside the drama building are big red circles for award-winning graduates, a la stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I used to wish I could spit, shit, or at least put a cigarette out on Chris Goutman's two circles. There should be a special rung in hell for those who intentionally destroy good TV shows. He would share his rung with MADD and FMB.

by Anonymousreply 148June 10, 2020 2:32 PM

I just never bought Mary Beth Evans as having a speck of Latin blood in her. Her father was a Central American freedom fighter, for god’s sake. At least Finn Carter looked physically believable. I’ve always thought Evans would have been a great replacement for Marcy Walker as Liza Colby on AMC, though.

by Anonymousreply 149June 10, 2020 3:03 PM

I liked Marie Wilson - but agree with everyone here, she was WRONG for Meg

I always thought they should've brought Marie on as Ellie Snyder, if the show was determined to have a female Snyder around. I could see them wanting Meg back strictly because her past profession was a Nurse (as the character was involved in switch lab samples, and then nursing Paul back from a gun-shot wound)

But an easier solution would be to bring Wilson on as Ellie and maybe explain she went back to school to become a Physician's Assistant. That would have played better than have Marie was Meg, because that didn't work at all.

by Anonymousreply 150June 10, 2020 3:09 PM

I didn't mind Hunt as Craig initially - he had some of the same smirky sensuality as Scott Bryce, but Scott will always be Craig to me. Hunt did his best work when Bryant died. After that, the darker turn the character took (justified by writers, I imagine, by his son's death) just ruined the character for me.

I concur with R148. I liked McCouch a lot but he was clearly being directed to be a Sonny Corinthos copy.

And I would SO take a dump on Goutman's star.

by Anonymousreply 151June 10, 2020 4:53 PM

Goutman was quite the spiteful bitch, it’s clear he took a dump on the long term viewers because of his utter disdain for them.

by Anonymousreply 152June 10, 2020 5:52 PM

I thought the Brad recase was one of the worst. The character went from being smoking hot and older than Jack to a goofy, younger brother.

When Sierra first arrived on the show, I was so disappointed because she was nothing like what they had built her up to be (strong, freedom fighting/fearless, etc.). She was the female equivalent of a milquetoast. Sometimes she seemed even cowardly. I gave her a year and gave up. I had a friend who worked on the show back then and he just shrugged and said that they were writing for her (to be like herself)....which back then was very common, but shows you they knew she really couldn't act.

by Anonymousreply 153June 10, 2020 6:13 PM

The whole Nick Kokotakis backstage thing...still wonder what happened there.

by Anonymousreply 154June 10, 2020 6:35 PM

R153 I wonder who liked Finn enough to keep her there....maybe she was pushed on the show by CBS.

by Anonymousreply 155June 10, 2020 6:36 PM

Well, R155, she was the daughter of a US State Deoartment bigwig (Hodding Carter III) so maybe there was some good old boy mutual backscratching going on.

by Anonymousreply 156June 10, 2020 6:49 PM

Great Locher Room today. One of the better ones.

They all look good - Kimberley is still gorgeous. And I would still let Mark Derwin stick it ALL the way in.

by Anonymousreply 157June 10, 2020 9:59 PM

Beverlee McKinsey lived with James Earl Jones in the early 60s!

SCANDALOUS!

by Anonymousreply 158June 10, 2020 10:33 PM

Yeah, that’s definitely one of my favorites. Melissa was exactly as I’d hoped she’d be-very funny and smart. And hearing them talk about Leonard Staab was so bittersweet.

by Anonymousreply 159June 10, 2020 11:12 PM

[quote] I thought the Brad recast was one of the worst

I agree 100% - based on his back-stage reputation at Days of our Lives, Goutman should have never even had him audition for the part. He is more trouble and not worth it, and he caused alot of headaches backstage at ATWT as well.

The only thing I can think of why they hired him is that might have hoped he;d boost ATWT demos with women (as he was on Days of our Lives)

by Anonymousreply 160June 10, 2020 11:15 PM

Goutman was fucking Bullwinkle J. Moose with hiring other shows actors, certain they would boost the ratings. This time for sure!

by Anonymousreply 161June 10, 2020 11:17 PM

[quote] The whole Nick Kokotakis backstage thing...still wonder what happened there.

What happened is that he had a disabled daughter that lived in LA and he was commuting back and forth between LA and NY - he realized he needed to be with his daughter full-time and asked to be released from the show

They agreed to let him go when a replacement could be found. But that was not good enough for Kokotakis . On a Friday he walked out of the studio, went straight to the airport and flew back to LA. Once reaching LA he phoned the producers and said he wasn't come back

He put the show in a horrible position, because that Monday they were beginning to film Carly trial and he was in all of those scenes, with TONS of extras - there was no way they could write him out

So an emergency recast was conducted (I think Roy Eudon replaced him temporarily) and they had to have a marathon taping to make up for days lost while recasting his part

by Anonymousreply 162June 10, 2020 11:21 PM

Thanks R162.

by Anonymousreply 163June 10, 2020 11:22 PM

Morgan Englund looked great and basically said point blank that Cloris Leachman was a non-existant mother who only started giving a crap about him when he had a regular acting gig on Guiding Light. Because it finally gave them something in common, I guess. Someone I know who was at Studio 54 back in the day said she’d be in a private room getting gang banged.

by Anonymousreply 164June 10, 2020 11:32 PM

R164 Oh, wow. I just read her autobio not long ago. She certainly didn't seem to have much to say about her kids.

by Anonymousreply 165June 10, 2020 11:46 PM

R164

My mind was just blown.

by Anonymousreply 166June 11, 2020 4:12 AM

I need to watch the whole thing! I got about ten minutes in and then everyone in the known universe decided that was the time to text or call. Always the way....LOL

by Anonymousreply 167June 11, 2020 4:14 AM

I loved the discussion of the many actors who played Hart.

I always liked Jeff Phillips at the original Hart. Such wide eyed innocence in his Hart. I liked that the show went in that direction rather than casting a hunk as they traditionally did.

As a result of the many actors who played Hart, the character went from innocent farm boy under Jeff Phillips to aggressive bully under Frank Grillo. Thus, by the end of the character's run, Hart bore no resemblance to the origin incarnation. Ironically, Phillip's Hart is someone that Grillo's Hart likely would have beaten up if he was having a bad day.

by Anonymousreply 168June 11, 2020 4:33 AM

Great to see Kimberly Simms. She still looks incredible. But given her reaction to the question, it seems that Kimberly and Vincent Irizarry didn't end their relationship on good terms.

by Anonymousreply 169June 11, 2020 4:36 AM

Leonard S. was beautiful, really gifted genetically; so tragic a loss.

He's the type of guy I would have followed around like a freshman chases the BMOC senior on campus.

by Anonymousreply 170June 11, 2020 4:43 AM

Sean McDermott played my favorite Hart. I remember Bridget coming upon him in the park one Fourth of July while he was sunning himself on a rock, in nothing but a very-well-sprayed-on pair of jeans, instead of going to the Bauer barbecue. Apparently TIIC thought he was as gay as I perceived him, as he lasted only another few episodes before being replaced, I forget by whom.

And a couple of years later, 1995, he shows up in that year's version of Boys in the Band. I also saw him recently playing a gay dad on an SVU rerun. And he's a cabaret singer in NY, IIRC.

Astonishingly hot as Hart, but cookies were being sniffed on that rock.

by Anonymousreply 171June 11, 2020 7:07 AM

Something I didn't know before watching the 6/10 Locker Room episode (they didn't talk about it; I googled George Englund): Mabel Albertson was George Englund's mother, making her Morgan's grandmother. So...Phyllis Stevens was Dylan Shayne Lewis' grandmother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 11, 2020 8:54 AM

[quote]Mabel Albertson was George Englund's mother, making her Morgan's grandmother. So...Phyllis Stevens was Dylan Shayne Lewis' grandmother.

That also means that Darren Stevens' mother was Phyllis Lindstrom's mother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 173June 11, 2020 11:29 AM

R171, a friend of mine did a hilarious impersonation of McDermott as Hart mincing away, particularly in one scene Dylan claimed that Julie belonged to him and Hart snapped “You can’t own somebody you don’t have, Dylan.”

by Anonymousreply 174June 11, 2020 3:14 PM

Yeah, poor Sean. Nice guy and talented, but couldn't butch it up to save his life.

Kevin McClatchy would have made a great Hart - he'd played another role not long before, but they should have done what they later did with whatever her name is this year who played Michelle - Lenz, and let him play it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 175June 11, 2020 3:41 PM

Poor Kimberley.

There's always at least one person with tech problems and she was the one.

(Although you also couldn't really hear Morgan, either.)

by Anonymousreply 176June 11, 2020 5:09 PM

Morgan Fairchild is on with Alan right now and she’s amazing. Looks and sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 177June 11, 2020 5:32 PM

Did the last GL chat have any Judi Evans updates?

by Anonymousreply 178June 11, 2020 5:54 PM

In Charlotte Rae biography she wrote that Cloris Leachman had a great body and made the most of it by laid half the time (Charlotte was still a virgin)

They went to school together, then wound up being roommates in NYC when they were struggling actresses. She wrote that one time she walked into the apartment and caught Cloris in a compromising position with Martin Balsam

Both claimed they were doing a scene from a play.

by Anonymousreply 179June 11, 2020 6:06 PM

Excuse me - can we get back to talking about Miss De Pollack!

by Anonymousreply 180June 11, 2020 6:11 PM

That's Queen Cecile, excuse me!

by Anonymousreply 181June 11, 2020 10:24 PM

Queen of Tanqueer!

by Anonymousreply 182June 11, 2020 10:27 PM

Derwin's reaction to the Beth Ehlers question was utter silence.

But when he laughed and put his hands behind his head....man, that dude is just unfiltered hot testosterone.......

by Anonymousreply 183June 12, 2020 1:59 AM

Just watching the latest Guiding Light Locher Room episode

Melissa Hayden (Bridget) Ellen Parker a force of nature - saying WOW how lucky was I to work with her

And Melissa shared a cute story about William Roerick (Henry Chamberlain) - Her first week, Melissa was 5 minutes late getting on set

Afterwards Roerick called her into his dressing room to talk to her lateness saying "We don't do that"

Telling her to look around at every single member of the crew on set, saying when you are 5 minutes late in the morning, you make the crew 5 minutes late in the evening, and they miss their train to get home to their families

Melissa concluding saying she got the read the riot by a pro like William Roerick , but in the most classy way

by Anonymousreply 184June 12, 2020 2:05 AM

Ehlers was the female equivalent of Vincent Irizarry. They went thru their co-stars like kleenex and then the rest of the cast had to live the fallout when it would end badly. They just never learned.

by Anonymousreply 185June 12, 2020 3:12 AM

Laura Malone and Chris Rich were good friends -- even going to vacations together with their respective partners. Then La Frangione came to town.

by Anonymousreply 186June 12, 2020 4:17 AM

Who could resist me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 12, 2020 4:20 AM

[quote]Ehlers was the female equivalent of Vincent Irizarry. They went thru their co-stars like kleenex and then the rest of the cast had to live the fallout when it would end badly. They just never learned.

Amazing Irizarry and Ehlers didn't get together in 1991-93 when they were both on the show. Instead, she was hooking up with Mark Derwin and he was hooking up with Kimberly Simms, then Ann Hamilton, them Barbara Crampton.

by Anonymousreply 188June 12, 2020 7:42 AM

The fact that Beth Ehlers became romantically involved with so many of her costars, yet didn't hook up with Ricky Paull Goldin added considerable fuel to the rumors that RPG is gay.

by Anonymousreply 189June 12, 2020 7:43 AM

Perhaps he's straight and sane, R189.

by Anonymousreply 190June 12, 2020 10:53 AM

Uhhh, no, R190.

by Anonymousreply 191June 12, 2020 11:20 AM

r183

what was he asked?

by Anonymousreply 192June 12, 2020 12:05 PM

Beth Ehlers popularity with viewers was only second to Kim Zimmer (in terms of actresses on the show)

In 2000 Paul Rauch had to personally intervene and get involved in getting Ehlers to stay after her contract negotiations hit a standstill. It would've easy for the show to replace her with Hayley Sparks (who filled in during Ehlers maternity leave) - But P&G and CBS deemed her too important to let her go

But by 2008 they didn't have a chance to do a counter-offer as she up and left - bolting to All My Children. Of course she would only last a year, getting let go from AMC the same year GL went off the air. By that time the show was bitter by her leave-taking, they didn't even invite her back for the finale (as she off AMC by then)

by Anonymousreply 193June 12, 2020 1:55 PM

R192 Morgan mentioned powerful scene partners and talked about Melissa and then Beth, and Alan Locher then asked both Morgan and Mark their memories of working with Beth.

Mark froze like Kimberly froze earlier....but Kimberly's freeze was technical because her computer was malfunctioning, whereas with Mark.....

by Anonymousreply 194June 12, 2020 2:07 PM

The way Mark talked about Bev it was like he was her gigolo.

by Anonymousreply 195June 12, 2020 6:35 PM

Haha, I can see that R195, but I think he was just being gentlemanly, and she found it very touching.

He seems so real. I was so in love with him back then and he's still as hot as ever. At *checks Wikipedia* 59 years old. Damn, daddy!

by Anonymousreply 196June 12, 2020 7:26 PM

Just the thought of Mark and Leonard Staab hanging out back in the day gives me wood.

by Anonymousreply 197June 12, 2020 8:58 PM

From NYT, 1993

LEONARD STABB, the soap opera actor who was severely injured in a hang-gliding accident last summer, loves his dog, Girl, the taste of brownies and the Spin Doctors. So for a party to help pay his long-term expenses, his friends have put a picture of the dog on the invitation, plan to serve brownies and will play the Spin Doctors' music.

Mr. Stabb, 29, who played Hart Jessup in "The Guiding Light," was hang gliding in Ellenville, N.Y., on July 31 when he hit a tree. He suffered traumatic brain injury and remained in a coma for about six weeks at the Westchester County Medical Center in Valhalla, N.Y., said a friend, GRACE PHILLIPS. He is now in a long-term rehabilitation center in Connecticut.

"We decided to start a trust fund for him because it will be a long time before he gets back to work -- if he ever does," said Ms. Phillips, who used to be on the soap "One Life to Live." "The trust will be for comfort, maintainance and support."

To start it off, she is organizing a party and auction for Nov. 5 at the Puck Building in SoHo.

Other events, including a play reading, a luncheon and a bowl-a-thon, have raised funds for him, but she said those were for fans who wanted to help. "This one is for Leonard's friends," Ms. Phillips added. "He is so different from the smooth soap character he plays. He is exuberant and goofy and has an infectious joyful attitude toward life."

by Anonymousreply 198June 12, 2020 9:17 PM

Grace Phillips was Sarah #2 on One Life to Live. She replaced that chopper alkie Jensen Buchanan. I remembee she had stunningly beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 199June 12, 2020 9:19 PM

He was so damn hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200June 12, 2020 9:36 PM

(Leonard Staab, that is, at around 3:00 in that video)

by Anonymousreply 201June 12, 2020 9:36 PM

Grace Phillips is now an environmental landscaper in LA

by Anonymousreply 202June 12, 2020 9:37 PM

What fun I had with my old friends from THE GUIDING LIGHT! Thanks again to Alan for inviting me backstage. This was a fabulous gesture as I have recovered from COVID-19 and will be airing as the new Kay Chancellor on THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, daytime’s number one drama, as soon as the pandemic ends. I was almost cast as Alexandra Spaulding in the 1990s, but they cast my dear friend Marj instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203June 12, 2020 10:08 PM

I don’t get the Harley love. I wish the actress was better looking if she had to be popular. I’ve known a lot of GL fans and none of them listed her as a fave but she did have a loon fan base which swayed TPTB in her direction.

by Anonymousreply 204June 12, 2020 10:25 PM

R204 She never had that loon element until she was paired with Gus.

All the couples would end up having weird mentally ill "stans." They always ruined the show with their BS.

by Anonymousreply 205June 12, 2020 10:27 PM

Some mentally unhinged fans are apparently responsible for Bradley Cole being front and center until the show's demise.

An insider here reported at the time that certain fans in NJ phoned the show weekly demanding more screen time for Bradley. They also sent in fan letters. They were consistent enough that Ellen Wheeler was scared to piss them off. So, Jeffrey O'Neil, a character that did not work from day one and still did not work on the final day, was rammed down our throats for six years.

by Anonymousreply 206June 12, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote]The way Mark talked about Bev it was like he was her gigolo.

That crossed my mind too as I was listening.

by Anonymousreply 207June 12, 2020 11:45 PM

R206 I liked him as Richard Winslow, but I never like Jeffrey O'Neill.

by Anonymousreply 208June 12, 2020 11:53 PM

^^liked not like

by Anonymousreply 209June 12, 2020 11:54 PM

"Hunt Block's Craig was directly responsible for Sierra's husband's death. That is character assassination. Dusty had no relationship with John and pairing him with Jennifer was practically incest."

I totally agree about Hunt, and the ridiculous denial of John's involvement in the raising of Dusty. BUT, by the time Jennifer was born, Dusty had been John's adopted son for years, was an adult who had left town, and of course he and Jen were not related by blood. Their romantic relationship did not seem at all incestuous to me. Was Dusty too old for Jen? Yeah, but that's about it.

And I know everyone on earth disagrees with me, but I loved Austin as Brad. He brought a much-needed humor to the role, but was also excellent in dramatic storylines like Carly's "brain tumor" and Brad's death. I also felt that Brad and Katie's romance and Brad's death was the only time that Terri Conn was allowed to portray a real human being worth empathizing with, and she did a terrific job. They brought out the best in one another, for obvious reasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210June 13, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote]They brought out the best in one another, for obvious reasons.

Because...Jebus?

by Anonymousreply 211June 13, 2020 2:00 AM

R210 whoa, Brad died? I guess I knew that because they brought on the nursing home cat of soap operas, Daniel cosgrove, to be Chris Hughes at the end, and I remember that, but I didn’t remember brad dying. The last 5 years of ATWT are such a blur.

I was drinking too much or they sucked too much... probably both actually.

by Anonymousreply 212June 13, 2020 2:09 AM

Hello my Kittens. I’ve had a few wines while Zooming with Zimmer, HBS, and SueFlan. We invited Colleen Z to prank Hil. LOL. Are you all excited for my debut as nuMrs. C on Y&R?

by Anonymousreply 213June 13, 2020 3:13 AM

Leonard was a MAN and he was young (29 is young)

He had that masculinity that Grant has; none of that pretty boy stuff even though they're both SO handsome.

by Anonymousreply 214June 13, 2020 3:32 AM

R212 I cheered when Brad was killed, but then he was on another many more months as a fucking ghost. It was so painful. I wished Katie had been killed too, especially when she was too dumb to get back together with Simon. What a bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 215June 13, 2020 3:38 AM

I see what you mean about Dusty not growing up as Jennifer's sibling, but to me they were clearly both Barbara's children. If you started watching when Marland was writing, I can understand not seeing Dusty as Barbara's. Marland shifted some firmly established relationships for whatever reason. So Hal and Duncan became James' nemeses instead of John. (John vs. James was awesome TV!) Paul became James' only obsession, not Paul and Dusty. Barbara's connection to Dusty was neglected (because Marland took away Gunnar as Barbara's true love) so that he was really only connected to John. And so on.

by Anonymousreply 216June 13, 2020 12:25 PM

I didn't know any of that, R216.

I started watching ATWT shortly after Marland began, and I remember reading a bit about Dusty's connections to John, but not the other things you mentioned. Interesting, thanks for the additional details.

by Anonymousreply 217June 13, 2020 2:30 PM

R216

I'm confused. Barbara wasn't Dusty's mother.

by Anonymousreply 218June 13, 2020 4:13 PM

I’m also a longtime ATWT viewer and had no idea about a Barbara/Dusty connection.

by Anonymousreply 219June 13, 2020 4:24 PM

Gunnar was Dustys father and the true Stenbeck heir. Everyone was angling to be Dustys guardian, including John, his wife Karen, his other wife and James sister Ariel, James, and ultimately Gunnar and Babara. When Gunnar died, Barbara let Dusty stay with John, but she had ultimate control of his inheritance. Paul stood to inherit nothing once James was revealed to be Jimmy Aldrin and not an actual Stenbeck. Gunnar and his son Dusty were the true heirs.

by Anonymousreply 220June 13, 2020 4:53 PM

Thanks, R220.

by Anonymousreply 221June 13, 2020 5:43 PM

I think there were several scenes in the Marland years where Barbara would ask Dusty to talk to Paul when he was troubled, especially when James came back. He sort of functioned as Andy and Paul’s big brother

by Anonymousreply 222June 13, 2020 5:45 PM

R210 I don't even think Dusty was John's adopted son. Wasn't John simply Dusty's legal guardian? The legal connection of guardianship ends when a kid turns 18. I saw no incest either.

by Anonymousreply 223June 13, 2020 6:41 PM

R220

Who was Dusty's biological mother?

by Anonymousreply 224June 13, 2020 7:01 PM

Nicole Donovan r224. I think she died off camera before Dusty came on the scene . Her husband was Burke Donovan (played by David Forsyth). He died and John and Karen took custody of Dusty.

They should have brought Karen back in 1986 or so-she had connections to James and John and she fought with Lucinda.

by Anonymousreply 225June 13, 2020 7:22 PM

R211: "Because...Jebus?"

No, because they were quite obviously falling in love in real life. Their religion, I couldn't care less about (though I do feel for Austin's coworkers, who had to put up with that VERY unprofessional behavior).

by Anonymousreply 226June 13, 2020 8:13 PM

R212: "they brought on the nursing home cat of soap operas, Daniel cosgrove, to be Chris Hughes"

Oh, God, he really was... LOL. Just so bland, so boring, so lacking in even a shred of charisma. But some genius at P&G thought he was Mr. Charisma. Well, if Crystal Chappell couldn't "turn him on," no actress alive could.

by Anonymousreply 227June 13, 2020 8:25 PM

Funny thing is, I've seen Cosgrove in other things where he was really good.....he is really funny when he's allowed to be.

We saw a bit of that with Bill. But he was a bore in most of his other roles, including Chris Hughes.

by Anonymousreply 228June 13, 2020 8:32 PM

[quote] Wasn't John simply Dusty's legal guardian? The legal connection of guardianship ends when a kid turns 18. I saw no incest either.

Except that they always played the relationship as much more of a father-son relationship and Dusty remained part of John's family well beyond his 18th birthday.

Like I said, if you started watching during the Marland years, it would have been much easier to accept the later relationship between John and Thugsty. But if you watched from 1980-on you would remember how close Dusty and John were and how involved they were in the Stenbeck saga. Who was Stenbeck trying to kill on the plane that he fell out of, presumably to his death? It wasn't Barbara or Paul or Hal or Duncan. It was Gunnar, John, Karen, and Dusty. To me, Marland never played that side of the story well and this led to James becoming too cartoonish and mustache-twirling. Your mileage may vary.

This was good shit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229June 13, 2020 8:59 PM

I wonder what the deal was with James Stenbeck and/or Herrera after his 1986 return.

He was sent off campus with the actress then playing Emily Stewart (this was pre Melanie Smith) not long after his return, and then brought back a few months later, at which time he was put into that whole Ruxton Hills murder mystery.

Supposedly, his initial post-return departure with Emily was due to big budget cuts. But I wonder if either someone at CBS/P&G didn't like the James story, or if Herrera was an issue - it appears he had complicated personal and professional relationships.

Bringing him on and off just felt very herky jerky, and became a bit of a joke in later years.

by Anonymousreply 230June 13, 2020 9:05 PM

Daniel Markel was brilliant as David Stenbeck. And sooooo sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231June 13, 2020 9:13 PM

[quote]Funny thing is, I've seen Cosgrove in other things where he was really good.....he is really funny when he's allowed to be.

He has a recurring role on Showtime's Billions playing a kind of a hapless boob. Just a couple episodes a year, but he's good. He's gained a bit of weight since his soap days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232June 13, 2020 9:15 PM

R231: "Daniel Markel was brilliant as David Stenbeck."

Yeah, people complain about the retconned story of James and Lucinda having had an affair, and possibly a child, as young people-- and it was ludicrous-- but Markel was SO good that I just don't care as much as I should.

by Anonymousreply 233June 13, 2020 9:46 PM

[quote] Except that they always played the relationship as much more of a father-son relationship and Dusty remained part of John's family well beyond his 18th birthday.

That's fine. But that doesn't mean they actually were father-son or had any kind of legal relationship that extended to other family members like actual adoption can.

by Anonymousreply 234June 13, 2020 9:59 PM

[quote] That's fine. But that doesn't mean they actually were father-son or had any kind of legal relationship that extended to other family members like actual adoption can.

And I didn't say that. My point was about how they never played John and Dusty's established relationship when Dusty returned. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

by Anonymousreply 235June 13, 2020 10:01 PM

[quote] "Daniel Markel was brilliant as David Stenbeck."

Unfortunately the only paying he could get was on soaps. He finally packed it in and is now an investment consultant saying

"I don't want to be 50, begging for a guest part on Murder, She Wrote"

by Anonymousreply 236June 13, 2020 10:51 PM

Daniel Markel that was begging for work, and finally threw in the towel

Compare that to Daniel Cosgrove, who never seems to be out of work, And actually got his first job on All My Children, with no experience - which led to 90201 a job he never had to audition for

Some actors are lucky, and some aren't.

by Anonymousreply 237June 13, 2020 10:53 PM

Daniel Markel that was begging for work, and finally threw in the towel

Compare that to Daniel Cosgrove, who never seems to be out of work, And actually got his first job on All My Children, with no experience - which led to 90201 a job he never had to audition for

Some actors are lucky, and some aren't.

by Anonymousreply 238June 13, 2020 10:53 PM

and some blow the right people

by Anonymousreply 239June 13, 2020 10:55 PM

When Dusty was killed off (the first time before he came back from the dead) - it was Barbara that arranged the funeral.

The show never mentioned the links Barbara & Dusty shared with Stenbeck. She said she was doing it because of Dusty connection to her daughter Jennifer

by Anonymousreply 240June 13, 2020 10:55 PM

Daniel Cosgrove has an easy to take presence. Nice looking and charming in an uncomplicated way. Daniel Markel wasn’t that. He wasn’t to everybody’s taste. He wasn’t to mine. I actually thought his face was a tad annoying.

by Anonymousreply 241June 13, 2020 10:58 PM

I wanted Danny Markels hairy body all over my tongue.

by Anonymousreply 242June 13, 2020 11:01 PM

I enjoyed and found Daniel Cosgrove charming on All My Children, but I never liked him on GL or ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 243June 13, 2020 11:59 PM

Put me down in the Daniel Markel camp. I don't know if this means anything re: Anthony Herrera, but he was also ping-ponging between ATWT and LOVING back in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 244June 14, 2020 12:21 AM

Danny Markel was particularly sublime on Another World, particularly in his scenes with Olivia. Wish that shower scene would show up on YT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245June 14, 2020 12:31 AM

R252

Cosgrove did get doughy last year but he now looks fantastic. He was on last week's Billions and he was fir & trim and so handsome.

by Anonymousreply 246June 14, 2020 8:43 AM

Of his many soap roles, Daniel Cosgrove's best was as Bill Lewis on GL. During his first few years on the show, he was an exciting presence who added some much needed vitality to the show. He left in 2005 to do a prime time series that died quickly.

When he returned to GL in 2007, he seemed to have lost most of his spark. His second run on GL was on par with his other soap roles -- adequate but nothing outstanding. He must be fairly easy going since he keeps getting hired.

by Anonymousreply 247June 14, 2020 3:04 PM

Aaron Spelling said to a group of reporters once that Cosgrove was one of the most handsome guys he'd ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 248June 14, 2020 7:32 PM

Soaps these days mainly revert to a type and getting hired has more to do with who you know or what you look like than that what you can do on camera. Long gone are the days of Betty Rea who hired folks like Melissa Hayden and Sherry Stringfield who had acting chops but didn't necessarily have the classic beauty that Hollywood looks for in its leading ladies.

by Anonymousreply 249June 14, 2020 7:37 PM

To be fair Bridget Reardon wasn’t ever supposed to be a classic beauty, she was a lovestruck plain jane.

by Anonymousreply 250June 14, 2020 8:13 PM

Sherry actually became quite attractive.

by Anonymousreply 251June 14, 2020 8:18 PM

Re: Cosgrove on ATWT .

Some time after his stint as Chris Hughes, Cosgrove did an interview where he basically apologized for his performance on the soap, admitting how bad he was. I remember he talked about his excess weight, his mood, his overall inability to bring anything to the role, etc. I think he said something about how he couldn't even watch his scenes, because he was totally embarrassed by them.

by Anonymousreply 252June 14, 2020 8:40 PM

Next Friday's Locher Room: Scott Bryce, Gregg Marx, and Hillary B Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 14, 2020 9:11 PM

That should be good.

by Anonymousreply 254June 14, 2020 9:16 PM

I always wish Cosgrove, heavy or not, would have his way with me. Too bad he has a wife.

by Anonymousreply 255June 14, 2020 9:47 PM

He looks very Bostonian, almost Kennedyesque. He also has a bunch of brats R255. I would so let him put his babies inside me.

by Anonymousreply 256June 14, 2020 9:50 PM

He could def pump me full of babies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257June 14, 2020 10:22 PM

"Next Friday's Locher Room: Scott Bryce, Gregg Marx, and Hillary B Smith."

OMG... YES!!!

by Anonymousreply 258June 14, 2020 11:05 PM

On June 17th reunion with Paul Antony Stewart, Laura Wright and Nancy St Alban

by Anonymousreply 259June 14, 2020 11:15 PM

We need wayyyy more Another World reunions. Get Vicky Wyndham, Jensen Buchanan (cheers!), Nancy Frangione, Anne Heche, Robert Keller-Kelly, Charles Grant and Matt Crane, Chris Rich, Laura Malone in on this. I’ll bet this would be one for the books electrifying!

by Anonymousreply 260June 14, 2020 11:33 PM

I'd love to see Anna Stuart, Kale Browne and if possible, all three of Ellen Wheeler, Anne Heche and Jensen Buchanan.

by Anonymousreply 261June 14, 2020 11:53 PM

Anna Banana for sure!

by Anonymousreply 262June 15, 2020 12:28 AM

Maybe Beverly Penberthy's nephew can help get Beverly booked.

Maybe he could also get Susan Sullivan and Nicholas Coster and some of the other AW stars from the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 263June 15, 2020 12:31 AM

Is Jensen still in prison?

I want to see Vicky Wyndham. Let’s have a “Cunts of P&G” themed reunion. We can have Vicky, Colleen Zenk, and Eileen Fulton as the guests.

by Anonymousreply 264June 15, 2020 12:35 AM

Gregg Marx could also pump me full of babies.

by Anonymousreply 265June 15, 2020 12:49 AM

Do a Jamie Frame reunion -- Richard Bekins, Stephen Yates, Larry Lau and Russell Todd!

by Anonymousreply 266June 15, 2020 12:49 AM

R260 R261 R262 R263 R266 Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

by Anonymousreply 267June 15, 2020 1:04 AM

how many of the Jamies were gay?

three? four?

by Anonymousreply 268June 15, 2020 1:07 AM

Russell Todd is for sure.

by Anonymousreply 269June 15, 2020 1:24 AM

[quote] Russell Todd is for sure.

Anne Heche and Russell Todd had TORRID love scenes that steamed the camera on Another World

by Anonymousreply 270June 15, 2020 1:30 AM

Was Stephen Yates the only straight Jamie

by Anonymousreply 271June 15, 2020 2:09 AM

Laurence Lau is supposedly married to a woman, though if I had a nickel for every guy who told me he slept with Lau in the 80s, I could buy y'all lunch.

Bekins, I thought someone said he was gay, but I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 272June 15, 2020 2:14 AM

off topic but announcement has been made that Melinda O. Fee (Charlotte Bauer Guiding Light) died in March - but asked her death announcement not be made until June - she asked for no funeral or memorial

She also played Mary Anderson on Days of out Lives

by Anonymousreply 273June 15, 2020 2:45 AM

Melinda O. Fee -- for not being a well-known name -- had quite the resume: Mike Bauer's wife on GL, Mary Anderson -- one of Jake Kositchek's victims on DAYS; a temporary Jill Abbott, Finestra on Lost In Space (who helped Will materialize a knife when his dad was battling a giant ape creator) AND she was on the Bionic Woman as a Fembot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274June 15, 2020 3:40 AM

*ape CREATURE

by Anonymousreply 275June 15, 2020 3:42 AM

I swear on the Shayne reunion Alan or someone said Audrey Peters died last year, but I don't see any info anywhere about it.

by Anonymousreply 276June 15, 2020 3:48 AM

Mini GL reunion on tonight's Billions. We had Franck Grillo sharing scenes with Beth Chamberlin.

by Anonymousreply 277June 15, 2020 8:34 AM

It was so dumb of them to kill off Sarah in 1996 when Reva went to visit her and Sarah had the deathbed confession of giving up a baby post-Roxie for adoption.

Sarah Shayne would have gone to HB for help $-wise so that she could hang onto her baby. HB would have been there for Sarah.

Plus, the show never had a solid matriarch after Bert (Maureen was on her way, but she was killed off.)

If Audrey Peters lived until 2019....that's TEN years after the show went off. She probably could have stayed with it to the end. I think Sarah came back as a ghost for Mother's Day circa 2006 and she was fine.

These soaps are so dumb when they kill off major players. Even if they just played the more senior folks twice a month, viewers still know that they're there.

by Anonymousreply 278June 15, 2020 9:06 AM

2019 photo of Victoria Wyndham

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279June 15, 2020 11:05 AM

Why is Rachel next to Alma Rudder??

LOL

by Anonymousreply 280June 15, 2020 2:31 PM

I'm shocked anyone has posting rights to Soap Opera Network.

I tried for the first time in 2004, and have never been approved.

by Anonymousreply 281June 15, 2020 2:39 PM

[quote] Anne Heche and Russell Todd had TORRID love scenes that steamed the camera on Another World

So a bisexual woman and a gay man can make the windows steamy?

It's acting, darling!

by Anonymousreply 282June 15, 2020 2:40 PM

[quote] Plus, the show never had a solid matriarch after Bert (Maureen was on her way, but she was killed off.)

That is why they hired Mary Stuart

by Anonymousreply 283June 15, 2020 2:40 PM

[quote] It was so dumb of them to kill off Sarah in 1996

As long as Kim Zimmer was there, Audrey Peters job was safe - when they killed off Reva, Audrey still stuck around because she was now the opinionated mother-in-law

But once Robert Newman left, the only Shayne still in town was Dylan, and he was essentially a Lewis. "Company" the local hang-out that Hawk & Sarah ran was eased -out for the Cooper Diner on Fifth Street

So there was no family tie left for Sarah Shayne, as she didn't even have the restaurant

If you are wondering, yes it was Jill Farren Phelps who eased the character out. Audrey Peters had said she never met JFP, all she read in a script was that she was taking the kids to France to meet Josh and that was her last script!

btw "Company" the restaurant only came back when they had Bridget decide to resurrect the boarding house, which was attached to "Company"

by Anonymousreply 284June 15, 2020 2:46 PM

R283 Yes, but they never used her enough, which is a shame considering she was basically the "First Lady of Proctor and Gamble" soap operas.

by Anonymousreply 285June 15, 2020 10:25 PM

Mary Stuart was awesome on screen, though I hear she was a bit of a pip in real life....didn't get on well with one of her kids.

by Anonymousreply 286June 15, 2020 10:37 PM

[quote] I hear she was a bit of a pip in real life....didn't get on well with one of her kids.

Don’t even get me started...

-Mrs. Patricia Ramsey, formerly of Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 287June 16, 2020 12:22 AM

On the Search For Tomorrow message boards, regular posters say they have searched high and low, and cannot find any former cast member who had a kind word to say about Mary Stuart

by Anonymousreply 288June 16, 2020 12:24 AM

Nelson Aspen loved her but otherwise, R288 is right.

by Anonymousreply 289June 16, 2020 12:26 AM

Did Stu have anything nice to say while he was alive?

by Anonymousreply 290June 16, 2020 12:38 AM

Larry Haines (Stu) amassed a long lost of Broadway credits while he was on SFT - even getting a Tony Nomination

by Anonymousreply 291June 16, 2020 12:56 AM

I like how Search For Tomorrow, kept Jo and Stu as just friends, showing that a straight man and woman can actually be platonic best friends. The natural soap thing would have been for them to have an affair at some point, especially after his wife died.

by Anonymousreply 292June 16, 2020 1:02 AM

[quote] I like how Search For Tomorrow, kept Jo and Stu as just friends, showing that a straight man and woman can actually be platonic best friends.

Towards the end of the run they did Stu & Jo did explore if they should be lovers when Wilma came into town and created a wedge between Stu & Jo

by Anonymousreply 293June 16, 2020 1:12 AM

I don' t think actors should be parents. Or romantic partners. Or have friends. They just don't know how.

I was mixed on Meta. The character had been gone for so long. There was one passing reference to her in 1985 that Maureen made when she was yelling at Ed over him fathering Michelle (HOW do I remember this stuff?) And I only thought of Stuart as Meta.

There were other options after Charita died in terms of sage talk to matriarchs; Sarah Shayne, Bea Reardon, Meta, Johnny's mother, I forget her name. Lanie? (That was Ross' sister name, too, I think.) Barbara Norris, Holly's mother. Or even going younger with Hope and letting her age into the role.

Charita's Bert was a tough act to follow, of course. Personally, she reminded me of my own grandmother in some ways. I think many felt that.

Charita showed she could do comedy, too. Here she is in the Guiding Plight with Lenore Kasdorf.

go to 17:08 and get ready to laugh

It was hard to accept her especially since, to most, she was Jo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294June 16, 2020 2:15 AM

I only thought of Stuart as JO.

I don't think that was Freudian.

by Anonymousreply 295June 16, 2020 2:17 AM

In the late 1990s, they brought Patti D'Arbonville on as Selena and made her the mother of Drew (Tammy Blanchard). Blanchard was so good as Drew and had such great chemistry with Rebecca Buddig as Michelle.

Anyone recall how the show started dropping a few clues that Selena was Meta's herebefore unknown daughter. They dropped that plot, but if they had gone through with it, it would have meant Drew was Meta's granddaughter and that both Selena and Drew were Bauers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296June 16, 2020 2:40 AM

R294 The first time I saw that, and heard Charita's kicker line at the end of that scene with Rita (somewhere right after 20:30), I almost peed myself from laughing so hard.

by Anonymousreply 297June 16, 2020 3:23 AM

[quote]Anyone recall how the show started dropping a few clues that Selena was Meta's herebefore unknown daughter. They dropped that plot, but if they had gone through with it, it would have meant Drew was Meta's granddaughter and that both Selena and Drew were Bauers!

I am not remembering that at ALL. Can you say more about that and fill us in?

by Anonymousreply 298June 16, 2020 3:24 AM

"ASK RITA!"

by Anonymousreply 299June 16, 2020 3:28 AM

Barbara Berjer was really kind to newcomers - When Paul Michael Valley (Ryan AW) first started at AW he said Barbara was so generous, she invited him over to her apartment so they could run lines, and they did that for quite awhile until Valley felt comfortable doing a soap

by Anonymousreply 300June 16, 2020 3:31 AM

Actually, as much as I was not a fan of AW in the time frame Jensen B was there, I would totally watch a reunion with PMV. He was ridiculously hot.

by Anonymousreply 301June 16, 2020 3:58 AM

I was the one who suggested the Anna, Kale and all Vicky/Marley reunion. If it wouldn't be too daunting, why not include Paul Michael Valley, Mark Pinter and Tom Elpin?

by Anonymousreply 302June 16, 2020 4:05 AM

r298 This was 20+ years ago, so I don't remember all the details. Seems like they were putting Meta and Selena in scenes together -- two characters that had no connection and no reason to be interacting. They were also planting some seeds for animosity between Meta and Selena them -- classic setup for a reveal they are mother and daughter.

It was dropped fairly quickly, so easy to have missed it. Perhaps I was keenly attuned to this since HWs Brown and Essenstein had just made Amanda into Brandon's daughter and had been more overtly setting things up for Rick to be revealed as Michelle's father (something I and others protested which apparently caused them to drop it).

For the record, I had no problem with making Meta into Selena's mother and Drew's grandmother. Was sorry they dropped that since I liked both Drew and Selena.

by Anonymousreply 303June 16, 2020 4:11 AM

I have made it my goal to be kind to all newcomers on my show, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, daytime television’s number one drama series for over 30 years. I am, after all, the grand doyenne of Genoa City as the new Katherine Chancellor. We resumed production today, and I was so happy to return to CBS Television City.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304June 16, 2020 4:11 AM

[quote]I would totally watch a reunion with PMV. He was ridiculously hot.

R301 I think the key word there is "was," sadly.

by Anonymousreply 305June 16, 2020 4:14 AM

R304 I was very sad to hear of Scoche Marin's passing today.

by Anonymousreply 306June 16, 2020 4:46 AM

Thank you R303. I can't remember any of that and I did watch in that era, though Manny were a big turn off for me and I wasn't an every day viewer.

I do remember there being some sort of suggestion that Olivia was going to be revealed as Ed's daughter with Rita, which would have been fucking fabulous in MY opinion, but I am not sure if that was actively under consideration or something fans read into a scene or two.

by Anonymousreply 307June 16, 2020 4:49 AM

r306 darling, rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 308June 16, 2020 5:06 AM

Does anybody know Scoche Marin’s phone number. I’d like to ask her to take a walk with me around the stables.

by Anonymousreply 309June 16, 2020 5:39 AM

I liked Drew/ Selena/Max on GL. Seeing as they were stars/ future stars only adds to their appeal. They’d have to replace Drew and Max as they were headed for stardom but to make them Bauer’s would have been great. Tammy Blanchard was fab on GL. She’s going to win an Oscar someday. She already has a Primetime Emmy and Tony noms.

by Anonymousreply 310June 16, 2020 5:53 AM

[quote]I would totally watch a reunion with PMV. He was ridiculously hot.

[quote]I think the key word there is "was," sadly.

Yes, he was ridiculously hot. A major heartthrob of mine! I tolerated Jensen Buchanan so I could lust after him.

Was surprised he didn't have a bigger career after he quit AW. He was on OLTL for a few episodes in the early 2000s as an eccentric artist. He was losing his hair and had lost whatever hotness he had. Tragic.

by Anonymousreply 311June 16, 2020 6:08 AM

Patti D was on Billions 2 weeks ago. She looks really good.

by Anonymousreply 312June 16, 2020 10:33 AM

Cady McClain (Dixie AMC) had a TORRID fling with PMV

by Anonymousreply 313June 16, 2020 2:09 PM

[quote]Does anybody know Scoche Marin’s phone number. I’d like to ask her to take a walk with me around the stables. —Sven Petersen

Sven, please make a point of showing Scotchie the boat house. The boat house is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 314June 16, 2020 2:11 PM

I have a rag doll I'd like to show Scotchie.

by Anonymousreply 315June 16, 2020 2:12 PM

Scoche died when the "Y" of the Young and Restless sign fell on her.

Anyway, back to P&G shows.

by Anonymousreply 316June 16, 2020 3:46 PM

R314. Ah, Sven.

There's Stefano. There's Helena Cassadine. Faison and James Stenbeck.

There's Lilith and Susan Piper. Mitch Laurence. There's even Lisa Hughes taking Bob's household money and hiring a maid and then treating herself to a spa day.

But nobody was more evil or threatening than Sven.

by Anonymousreply 317June 16, 2020 5:34 PM

I just thought it was wrong of GL to bring back Carrie Nye as another character after she’d played Susan Piper. She was so indelible as Susan Piper. She could have played Susan’s ghost, though.

by Anonymousreply 318June 16, 2020 6:12 PM

Here's what a 54 year old Paul Michael Valley looks like today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319June 16, 2020 6:12 PM

He's still handsome, but clearly he was a smokeshow in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 320June 16, 2020 6:13 PM

R318 I hated that story overall but loved the initial period where Carrie would read the vapid little bitches for filth every day. It was glorious.

by Anonymousreply 321June 16, 2020 6:14 PM

I had no idea June Havoc - as in Dainty June - was on SFT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322June 16, 2020 7:11 PM

The next GL reunion will have Gina Tognoni, Robert Bogue, Murray Bartlett and the actress that Bogue married. Her name escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 323June 17, 2020 3:48 PM

Mandy Bruno.

Murray and Gina have been on other reunions already. Kinda surprised Murray is doing a second one, what with him being a big star and all.

by Anonymousreply 324June 17, 2020 3:51 PM

That’s a very underwhelming line-up. I wish Alan would do more with shows other than GL and from time periods other than when he worked on them.

by Anonymousreply 325June 17, 2020 4:14 PM

Yeah, he's had very little in the way of early GL folks, and I'm sure they'd welcome the chance to join in. Lisa Brown, John Wesley Shipp.....I mean, if he won't invite them maybe someone else should.

by Anonymousreply 326June 17, 2020 4:17 PM

R323 = Beth Ehlers.

by Anonymousreply 327June 17, 2020 6:25 PM

R326, he's inviting them, believe me, sometimes actors say no.

by Anonymousreply 328June 17, 2020 6:25 PM

The Maryann Carruthers story was horrible; a lame attend to tie everyone together.

For kids who grew up watching GL with their grandparents, we know the Spauldings didn't always live in Springfield nor did the Chamberlains and Buzz had faked his death and moved away.

Doug Marland was great at through lines. When he found out that Eileen Fulton took some time off between Our Private World and come back to ATWT he said great Lisa had a baby then.

Carlivati was a GH fan as a kid and he did tons of accurate callbacks. My favorite was Tracy to Patrick after Edward insisted the vial of serum she wanted him to take go to Emma instead during the pandemic. She said something like: "I tried to trick him into taking it, but as usual he was one step ahead of me." That was a clear callback to the time she wouldn't give him his heart pills and he was faking.

Some writers and producers either 'get' soap or they don't.

by Anonymousreply 329June 17, 2020 6:30 PM

The frustrating thing about a story like the Maryann Carruthers one is that there was so much EXISTING history that could have been used to pull together an umbrella story.

And some of that story could have been gently retconned here and there to make it all fit. Soap fans are accepting and/or forgiving if the tweaks are gentle, or if they make some sort of sense.

The issue with THAT story was that it had nothing to do with the show, and was a story Ellen Weston wrote for something else and then twisted it to make it fit to GL, thinking no one would remember anything before it.

by Anonymousreply 330June 17, 2020 6:38 PM

Watching The Locher Room and Laura Wright was asked about working with Edie Falco on Loving

Laura Wright said she doesn't remember - (here is the clip where her character gives birth and Edie Falco is her nurse)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331June 17, 2020 7:21 PM

did Edie's character steal the baby or something?

by Anonymousreply 332June 17, 2020 7:27 PM

No - Edie played the resident Nurse on Loving

What is strange is that Laura Wright has bragged that she has "Hyperthymesia" is a condition that leads people to be able to remember an abnormally large number of their life experiences in vivid detail.

Yet when they asked her about Edie Falco being on the show, she sort of denied it. But in the clip above, she helps her character give birth

So I don't know, maybe Edie rubbed Laura Wright the wrong way.

by Anonymousreply 333June 17, 2020 7:34 PM

Laura Wright was finally asked about Frank Grillo and she chose her words carefully, hemming and hawing before finally saying "He was a tough guy"

by Anonymousreply 334June 17, 2020 7:50 PM

I'm so disappointed by Laura Wright answer about Edie Falco, I don't think I will ever watch another Locher Room ever again. She has turned me off from those webcasts

by Anonymousreply 335June 17, 2020 8:19 PM

[quote]I'm so disappointed by Laura Wright answer about Edie Falco, I don't think I will ever watch another Locher Room ever again. She has turned me off from those webcasts

MARY!

Wait, that deserves a second one.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 336June 17, 2020 8:35 PM

R133, it’s actually called Marilu Henner Disease. Get it right, heh heh.

by Anonymousreply 337June 17, 2020 9:31 PM

It sounds like GL was the friendliest set. Which one was worse—ATWT, SFT or AW, and why? Show your work

by Anonymousreply 338June 17, 2020 9:37 PM

SFT because Mary Stuart put the "unt" in cunt.

by Anonymousreply 339June 17, 2020 9:39 PM

The AW set was tight depending on when. In the late 70s/early 80s it was apparently a war zone but by the 90s it had a tight knit group of actors and crew.

by Anonymousreply 340June 17, 2020 9:42 PM

I think as a general rule, when a show is struggling in the ratings, the cast pulls together, sets aside egos and grievances for the sake of the show and basically gets along to get the job done.

It's when the show is at the top of the ratings that egos really come out, when diva behavior appears and when cliques and various waring factions form.

Yes, you can likely find exceptions to the above statements. Mary Stuart was a diva despite Search's low ratings (but hey, the show was built around her character for 35 years), GL was a really friendly set despite being near the top of the ratings in the early 80s. Etc.

I'm sure there are other exceptions, but as a GENERAL rule, the above statement would likely hold true for any TV series.

by Anonymousreply 341June 17, 2020 10:43 PM

Aunt Liz, I think you have a point.

With very few exceptions, the GL cast was as thick as thieves at the end.

by Anonymousreply 342June 17, 2020 10:45 PM

[quote] I think as a general rule, when a show is struggling in the ratings, the cast pulls together, sets aside egos and grievances for the sake of the show and basically gets along to get the job done.

Except Mary Stuart, she never bonded with the cast

[quote] the GL cast was as thick as thieves at the end.

Except Frank Grillo, as Laura Wright hinted at

by Anonymousreply 343June 17, 2020 10:48 PM

Mary Stuart was the first "star" created by Daytime TV. I think it might have gone to her head. She probably felt that neither she nor her show got the due they deserved, especially in the 1980s when CBS dropped them.

by Anonymousreply 344June 17, 2020 10:54 PM

I want some more AW reunions. I'd love to see Dano with the 2 Lornas, Jenna and Aprea.

I'd love to see Anna Stuart with the 3 actresses who played Vicki/Marley.

by Anonymousreply 345June 17, 2020 11:01 PM

[quote] Mary Stuart was the first "star" created by Daytime TV. I think it might have gone to her head. She probably felt that neither she nor her show got the due they deserved, especially in the 1980s when CBS dropped them.

When she got a lifetime achievement award from the Daytime Emmys, it wasn't even an EMMY - it was a plaque!

by Anonymousreply 346June 17, 2020 11:02 PM

R346 She did make history, as the only Daytime soap actor to be nominated for a regular Primetime Emmy as Lead Actress in 1962, though she lost to Shirley Booth.

by Anonymousreply 347June 17, 2020 11:32 PM

Search was built around Mary Stuart. Show was high rated for 25 years. It was only in its last decade that Search tanked in the ratings.

I'd say Mary Stuart's diva behavior was understandable given the circumstances. I'm not saying it was right, I'm just saying its a natural thing that would happen given the situation. It happens on the set of virtually every other hit TV show.

by Anonymousreply 348June 17, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote]Except Frank Grillo, as Laura Wright hinted at

I said at the end. Frank's run may not have been in GL's finest days but his departure was a decade before it ended.

by Anonymousreply 349June 17, 2020 11:55 PM

Laura Wrong.

by Anonymousreply 350June 18, 2020 1:44 AM

Or as we like to call her, Snaggletooth aka Snags.

by Anonymousreply 351June 18, 2020 1:53 AM

We've been Murieled, darlings.

So here's a new thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352June 18, 2020 3:37 AM

Farewell, Cecile.

Until next time.

by Anonymousreply 353June 18, 2020 3:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!