Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Were there ever any rumors about Paul Newman?

Because... God DAMN, look at him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215September 4, 2020 3:29 AM

My husband and his ex met him and Joanne several times and were guests at their ranch. No pinging at all according to him, however they were a kind and lovely couple and extremely gay friendly according to him.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2020 2:44 PM

Always rumors. No evidence.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2020 2:46 PM

And op, your link is in black and white.

While he looks gorgeous in that photo, his beauty is heightened by his piercing blue eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2020 2:48 PM

Even as an older man, he was hot as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2020 2:48 PM

Died in 2008 at age 83.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2020 2:49 PM

Sexy fucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2020 2:49 PM

Look at this and tell me there's no heat going on. Newman is preening like a peacock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2020 2:49 PM

Apparently, Miss Samantha Heughan is going to play Paul Newman.

Do you see the resemblance? Rofl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2020 2:50 PM

Looks like a sailor boy here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2020 2:51 PM

OP, pic could possibly be from the film “Hud” (1963).

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote] Do you see the resemblance? Rofl.

Maybe they'll give him a prosthetic nose.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2020 2:53 PM

Years ago my friend's mother used to refer to him as "the blue-eyed Jew".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2020 2:54 PM

Fascinating R12!

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2020 3:02 PM

[quote] Years ago my friend's mother used to refer to him as "the blue-eyed Jew".

No, that's Elijah Wood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2020 3:02 PM

Highly gay friendly and confident in his sexuality. Best friends and roommates with Gore Vidal and his husband (along with Joannne), took on gay roles in Tennessee Williams plays - very accepting for his time and place. I have a lot of respect for Paul Newman. One of the good guys - when there were very few allies.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2020 3:11 PM

When he died there were several threads on DL. Several people in them claimed they'd seen him more than once at gay bars they frequented. Nobody said they actually had him, though.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2020 3:16 PM

Zero

Number of good looking actors DLers don't claim have at least "experimented with the homosex"

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2020 3:18 PM

Did he and Woodward ever have children?

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2020 3:19 PM

[quote] When he died there were several threads on DL. Several people in them claimed they'd seen him more than once at gay bars they frequented. Nobody said they actually had him, though.

Damn.

I wonder what's his type?

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2020 3:23 PM

Lots of kids

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2020 3:23 PM

[quote]Did he and Woodward ever have children?

He had three children with Joanne and three with his first wife.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2020 3:25 PM

Nice abs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2020 3:30 PM

Some straight men especially straight actors can be a bit flirty with men but they're just toying because they get off on the attention. It gives them a chance to preen.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2020 3:33 PM

I thought there was a rumor that he and Cruise got it on on the color of money.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2020 3:36 PM

There's already been repeated thread after repeated thread on this OP. Why did you find it necessary to come here and start another? Why? Why OP? Can you give us an intelligent, honest answer? Can you? Why would you come here and post this kind of shit yet AGAIN when there have already been so many prior threads on this EXACT same subject. Do you really think this is that damned interesting that it warrants another entire thread to be started? DO YOU??

Why couldn't you have done a search first OP? That would have been the polite thing to do. What you demonstrated was just plain selfishness. You have shown that you don't think about anybody but yourself. It's all about you and your own satisfaction. Next time before you post, do us all a favor and do a search. We don't need another duplicate thread just because of your laziness.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2020 3:38 PM

He is like an even sexier and more masculine version of Paul Walker.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2020 4:13 PM

Paul Walker was gorgeous but not very sexy. PN was indeed sexiness personified.

That video with James Dean does give some vibes.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2020 4:22 PM

While OP's picture is identified as Paul Newman on Tumblr and Pinterest, I don't think that is him. Both PN and the person in the pic are great looking, however OP's photo just doesn't look right. Here is a similar one that is unmistakenly PN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2020 4:25 PM

I don't know what age they're portraying Paul in r8's link, but Patrick Wilson was born to play him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2020 4:31 PM

R3 - yes, beautiful eyes, no doubt. But, honestly? I'd never seen the OP pic before I randomly stumbled upon it on Tumblr and I think it is hands down, the sexiest I've ever seen him look. Something about that pose, about that steely gaze, the curve of that black hat, the open shirt, the every so slight 5 o'clock shadow. It's just... too much (Mary! -- I know)

I've never seen Hud, but I did an image search and I feel like he's younger in this OP pic than he was in Hud. I wonder if this is from a certain film or TV project.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2020 4:52 PM

Yes, gay. I guarantee it.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2020 5:01 PM

The face is like a more masculine Paul Rudd or a more attractive Norm McDonald.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2020 5:02 PM

Paul Newman is so gorgeous. My god.

I had the exhilarating experience of meeting Paul Walker and chatting with him in an LA bar back before he hit it bigtime. I recognized him from the movie Pleasantville. He was so good looking that I almost couldn't focus on what he was saying because his looks (and eyes) were so distracting. And he was very sexy. I thought he was flirting/ hitting on me, but he was with an equally handsome guy (I thought his date, but now I think it was his brother) Super friendly, though. Not pretentious or cocky or douchey at all.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2020 5:11 PM

What always got me about PN was that he was so handsome and he seemed like a good guy with his heart in the right place.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2020 5:16 PM

I couldn't stand how curmudgeony he got in his old age. He Just seemed like a very unpleasant miserable human being. Why do people get like that when they get old?

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2020 5:19 PM

I guarantee James Dean had one of the very first tastes of Newman's Own Salad Dressing.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2020 5:25 PM

R28 It looks exactly like Paul Newman to me. Same hooded eyes. Even the hairline is the same.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2020 5:38 PM

It’s not for me to say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2020 5:46 PM

That picture at R28 is "off" - It's close, but I'm not sure if that is Newman.

And if it is supposed to be from Hud, the hat is all wrong. Wrong color and wrong material. Even dressed up for his father's funeral Hud was wearing the same straw (?) hat as before.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2020 5:47 PM

R37: It's not Newman. It's some model from the early 2000s. I remember his face, but not his name. Google's image search doesn't reveal his identity. OP's photo might be from a Polo Ralph Lauren ad. The model has a slight bump on the bridge of his nose. Newman's nose had a straight profile.. The model's cleft chin has a longer and deeper dimple compared to Newman.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2020 5:54 PM

The chin and nose look different to me. The chin in OP looks to have more of a cleft and the nose seems to have more of a slight arch. It is very close but it seems slightly off.

R39 It is a colorized photo, I'm guessing. But, it is the same straw hat. As you can tell from this still from the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2020 5:55 PM

I think anyone, straight or gay, in that close proximity to Dean would have automatically become a bit flirty.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2020 5:55 PM

Sorry R40 your post hadn't shown up when I posted.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2020 5:56 PM

R35 You'll see!

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2020 6:00 PM

No problem, R41/R43. Great minds think alike, eh?

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2020 6:00 PM

I want to hear all the other witty things R12's friend' s mother used to say!

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2020 6:12 PM

In fact, there have been plenty of rumors and accounts of his sexual exploits with, among others, Tony Perkins, James Dean, and Tom Cruise.

Of course, there's never been any hard proof, either (pun intended).

R12, your friend's mother sounds like a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2020 6:13 PM

He was so handsome. Love these pics <3

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2020 6:16 PM

"In fact, there have been plenty of rumors and accounts of his sexual exploits "

Too bad he and Elizabeth Taylor didn't hook up while filming Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. They were both at their peak of physical beauty. I'd love to see the human specimen created by that genetic gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2020 6:26 PM

R49, why must you heterosexualize what R47 said?

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2020 6:29 PM

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, he was so hot playing troubled guy loving another guy. Hot hot hot

by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2020 6:29 PM

Coincidentally, I watched the Robert Zemickis film "I Want to Hold Your Hand" yesterday and Susan Kendall Newman, Paul's daughter from his first marriage, was one of the supporting actresses. I was surprised by how plain looking she was. If I hadn't gone on IMDB, I wouldn't have thought she was Paul Newman's daughter at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2020 6:29 PM

"why must you heterosexualize what [R47] said?"

Because I prefer to live in the real world, instead of "everybody's gay" fantasy land.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2020 6:33 PM

There were rumors about Paul Newman and Steve McQueen that go back decades.

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2020 6:36 PM

R33, Paul Walker really was the modern day equivalent of Paul Newman.

Both were gorgeous men.

Like many here have already stated, Newman was so handsome in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Newman was old by the time I came to know who he was, but I watched COAHTR and was instantly a fan. He was mesmerizing in that movie, even though he was being an asshole throughout it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2020 6:36 PM

THAT'S living in the real world, Mary R53? Fantasizing about the children Liz and Paul would have had? You sound like a fucking frau.

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2020 6:36 PM

r49, I have a kooky little theory that I like to kid about: (usually) 2 genetically beautiful people don't have beautiful children because they've used up all the good looking genes. I've seen more plain looking people have beautiful kids-they need their genes to survive.

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2020 6:37 PM

Paul Newman had six pack abs in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and he was about 30 years old!

The guy obviously worked out. He was in great shape his entire life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58May 24, 2020 6:48 PM

R52: Have you seen his first wife? Daughter got Mom's genes, unfortunately.

Joanne was definitely an upgrade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 24, 2020 6:50 PM

The other thread running on DL now has a post about a three-way with Eartha Kitt, James Dean, and Paul Newman.

by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2020 7:02 PM

R52 You're cruel.

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2020 7:30 PM

Another Paul Newman link running now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2020 7:35 PM

Lots of rumors about him and Woodward. He sure seemed to hint at it in the Dean screen test. My guess is that he at least dabbled. Dean was gay- not just Bi.

by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2020 7:38 PM

[quote]he was hot as fuck.

God, I hate (and pity) millennials and zoomers. Every single thread about a handsome movie star is repeated posts of the above phrase in different forms, with no actual gossip. Contrast this with threads from 10-15 years ago where we'd have gotten all sorts of credible gossip by now. Thankfully, I saved many of those threads and occasionally go back to them for my own enjoyment. I'm reading an old Newman thread and believe me, r47 who obviously remembers the good old DL gossip, hasn't even begun to scratch the surface.

by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2020 7:53 PM

OP, you idiot, that is not Paul Newman.

by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2020 7:59 PM

I am always amazed at these threads that think every single guy must be gay. Instead of asking if someone is gay why don't you just assume the entire male species is gay and then occasionally ask if you think some guy might be straight. At least it would be a switch from, is he gay.

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2020 8:11 PM

R66=the "I am always amazed at these threads that think every single guy must be gay" troll.

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2020 8:24 PM

PN belongs on that "Jews pretending not to be" thread.

by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2020 8:25 PM

My Mistake.

I was referring to OP's picture. Not the picture at R28.

by Anonymousreply 69May 24, 2020 8:58 PM

There’s an MLB pitcher who looks like him. I forgot his name though or what team he plays for (I wanna say the Blue Jays or sone team in Minnesota). But I remember seeing him and thought he looked like Paul Newman, but with a nicer butt. Then he hocked a loogie and I was kinda turned off. For maybe two innings, but I’m over it now. Str8 boys are kinda gross sometimes, it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 70May 24, 2020 9:48 PM

Yes, there were rumors.

He had movie star looks and made great films though he had limitations as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 71May 24, 2020 10:39 PM

Alright, alright, alright. If you all insist the OP picture is mislabeled and not really Newman, I believe you, but it looks STRIKINGLY like him and was labeled as such on Tumblr and Pinterest. Does anyone know WHO it is? If he's an actor, he'd be almost too perfect to play Newman.

by Anonymousreply 72May 24, 2020 11:18 PM

R66, who would have thought on a gay gossip forum a subject of gay gossip would be considered gay?

by Anonymousreply 73May 24, 2020 11:21 PM

r29, they do share similar facial features, and of course both men have/had beautiful muscular bodies (and both men can/could genuinely act). The only problem I see would be that Patrick Wilson is so much taller than Newman was. Newman was famously a short man, and Wilson is a tall man.

by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2020 11:24 PM

[quote] I am always amazed at these threads that think every single guy must be gay.

My mom used to say, "You think everyone is gay!", to which I would always reply, "You think everyone is straight!"

by Anonymousreply 75May 24, 2020 11:26 PM

One of my favorite things about Newman was that he was such a big-hearted liberal when it came to politics--and unlike other famous big-hearted liberals of his generation (Frank Sinatra and Charlton Heston), he did not do a 180 degree turn when he got older.

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2020 11:28 PM

Didn't Paul also have something going on between him and Steve McQueen? I think he also made it with Marlon Brando (there's a picture of him staring at Marlon in such a way that would suggest more than a little starstruck.) And I believe I read somewhere he had something with Monty Clift, too. Paul made a confession to Monty's brother that he thought Monty to be quite rough in bed.

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2020 11:32 PM

To me he was just someone who oozed sex and had great chemistry with his co-stars, male or female. He wasn't gay but you can't look like that and not have experimented a bit.

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2020 11:33 PM

r74, Paul Walker was tall too, but I can deal with the height difference.

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2020 11:34 PM

Newman was short - like, maybe 5'8". I passed him on West 72nd Street between Columbus Avenue and Broadway coming out of a bakery. Onscreen it didn't matter much; in person, it somewhat did. McQueen, of course, was also short - they both had something unique.

McQueen was a right-wing conservative; Newman a dyed in the wool East Coast liberal. I doubt they were doing anything together.

And, by the way, technically, Newman wasn't Jewish: his father was, his mother was not - Jewishness as a fact accepted formally by all but the loosest Reform Jews is passed on through the mother, although asserting Jewish ethnicity can come from either parent.

by Anonymousreply 80May 24, 2020 11:42 PM

R64, You know you're a real bitch when you brag about the good ol' days of DL's past but aren't gracious enough to share a link.

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2020 11:44 PM

Someone once told me Paul Newman attended the Sunday swimming parties held at Rock Hudson's house and elsewhere. Most of the guys were nude, at least the ones who were looking hard for a role in a movie. There were always powerful connections in the industry at these parties.

by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2020 11:51 PM

R57 I can see that being true.

by Anonymousreply 83May 25, 2020 12:26 AM

I'm as old as dirt, and NO there were never gay rumors about Paul until the internet, especially the Datalounge. I think they rumors came from the fact that Newman played gay, and was interested in playing gay in The Front Runner. Runner was in the 70s, but I never heard anything then, and I read all of the movie magazines. The guy wasn't gay, okay? Have a fantasy that he was.

R59, Funny that his first wife was a dead ringer for Carol Burnett.

R52, Paul and Joanne's daughter Neil looks a little like him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2020 12:37 AM

^ Paul and Joanne's daughter Neil looks a little like him. That should be NELL.

by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote] Newman had no religion as an adult, but described himself as a Jew, saying "it's more of a challenge"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 25, 2020 12:45 AM

I could've sworn I read somewhere years ago that Marlon Brando outed him, and I'm paraphrasing, "We all experimented, Paul did, too." Or maybe it was a made-up statement from a gossip columnist.

by Anonymousreply 87May 25, 2020 12:47 AM

I always liked that he was such an admirer of his wife's talent. He kept her to the forefront in the 70s by directing her films, when other women of her type and age (like Eva Marie Saint) disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 88May 25, 2020 12:47 AM

R87, that "quote" originated at the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 89May 25, 2020 12:48 AM

You may very well be as old as dirt, R84, but to say there was never any gay rumors about Newman is completely untrue. Not only have I heard them, I think there were allegations in a book that was published over the last 10 years. As for its being on Datalounge, here's one link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 25, 2020 12:52 AM

Here's another one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 25, 2020 12:53 AM

*but to say there were never any gay rumors

by Anonymousreply 92May 25, 2020 12:53 AM

R12, Half Jewish, half Irish, actually.

by Anonymousreply 93May 25, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote]Too bad he and Elizabeth Taylor didn't hook up while filming Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. They were both at their peak of physical beauty. I'd love to see the human specimen created by that genetic gene pool.

Sometimes two attractive people can have a homely child. It's not that uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 94May 25, 2020 1:01 AM

A lot of the unsubstantiated gay rumors came from Darwin Porter's "biographies" on Paul, Brando, James Dean, Steve McQueen, Rock Hudson, etc. That hack lives by the Rethug's playbook of repeating the same lies over and over again until they become truth.

by Anonymousreply 95May 25, 2020 1:04 AM

R95, the "lies" of movie stars and Dump's lies have substantially different impacts.

by Anonymousreply 96May 25, 2020 1:16 AM

*the "lies" about movie stars

by Anonymousreply 97May 25, 2020 1:17 AM

Newman had a very tight, fit body. Unusual for that era.

by Anonymousreply 98May 25, 2020 1:23 AM

"but to say there was never any gay rumors about Newman is completely untrue. Not only have I heard them, I think there were allegations in a book that was published over the last 10 years. "

TEN YEARS? That's nothing. Are you fourteen?

by Anonymousreply 99May 25, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote] Paul made a confession to Monty's brother that he thought Monty to be quite rough in bed.

I'll need to see a link, please!

by Anonymousreply 100May 25, 2020 2:06 AM

Yes, many gay rumours, and I think some admissions too. As today's equivalent, obviously that would be William Levy Martinez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 25, 2020 2:16 AM

His name is Mark Allen Alvarez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 25, 2020 2:44 AM

R102 -- Wow, well done, Jessica Fletcher! He's gorgeous and really does look so much like Newman in CERTAIN shots. (click the link for a couple of images)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 25, 2020 3:09 AM

It’s not unheard of for a confident straight man to go to a gay bar. Maybe he was with friends who were gay. People are just people, gay or straight. I have no issue with straights being at the gay bar to have a drink or socialize. I think a straight man who doesn’t care what other people think about doing stuff like that is sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 104May 25, 2020 3:18 AM

Gorgeous guy, but not many photos on the internet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 25, 2020 3:21 AM

R100, It was from a blog post on "Gay Influence". Not sure if it has any validity to it but still quite an entertaining tidbit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 25, 2020 3:40 AM

What are you yammering on about, R99?

by Anonymousreply 107May 25, 2020 5:47 AM

I always got a masculine energy from Jo Woodward in every role. They were an in interesting couple. She was not ugly by any means but next to him she looked outright homely.

by Anonymousreply 108May 25, 2020 5:48 AM

Aside from The Three Faces of Eve, I'm not sure if I've seen a performance from Joanne that was particularly memorable? Okay, I guess Rachel Rachel and the Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds, or whatever. She wasn't a bad actress by any means, she just didn't have that "oomph."

I'd even argue that she was a poor man's Eva Marie Saint. Who didn't have the BEST roles, but I found her to be more charming than Woodward on screen.

I have always wanted to see Joanne in The Stripper, but I don't think that's been released on DVD yet. Of course, it was a role Marilyn was supposed to star in before her death.

by Anonymousreply 109May 25, 2020 5:54 AM

There was a minute when I thought Josh Lucas could have played Paul Newman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 25, 2020 6:20 AM

Woodward would be a forgettable blip among actors of her generation if it weren't for her association with Newman. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 111May 25, 2020 6:23 AM

Woodward is OK in The Stripper, but the script is terrible, based on one of William Inge's weakest plays, A Loss of Roses.

by Anonymousreply 112May 25, 2020 6:31 AM

He was very liberal. He was a backer of The Nation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 25, 2020 6:35 AM

He seemed like the last person who would have been bothered by the rumors which of course makes him all the more attractive. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he were comfortable enough to go to a gay bar. And as others have said a liberal back when that really meant something.

He was the human equivalent of a fine wine — both his looks and his acting only got better with age. I did seen him in person once, near where he lived (Carnegie Hill), and he’s definitely small (as a lot of actors are)...I guess in real life that would take off maybe a point max, but certainly not onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 114May 25, 2020 7:16 AM

His wife was long rumored to be a dyke, if Paul was anything it was discreet.

by Anonymousreply 115May 25, 2020 7:43 AM

He was so handsome. But also a terrific actor. Watching a lot of his later work and I loved his performances in Absence of Malice, The Verdict, The Color of Money and Blaze.

He really deserved the Oscar for The Verdict, though nobody was going to win over Ben Kingsley in Gandhi. The Verdict is an excellent film.

by Anonymousreply 116May 25, 2020 7:49 AM

I think the OP's picture has been enhanced.

I think the bridge of his nose has been strengthened in Photoshop.

by Anonymousreply 117May 25, 2020 7:55 AM

R117 - Nope. It's not him. See R102.

by Anonymousreply 118May 25, 2020 8:58 AM

The internet is terrible about identifying photos. I even saw one copy of OP's photo as being by George Hurrell -- as if Hurrell would EVER have taken a photo like that!

I think the photographer did a good job making Alvarez look Old Hollywood but I'm surprised so many people readily believed it was Paul Newman. The chin is completely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 119May 25, 2020 9:47 AM

Woodward is probably the weakest actor in the ensemble cast of Paris Blues, but she gives a really good performance in the "you're never gonna forget me" speech toward the end.

by Anonymousreply 120May 25, 2020 9:50 AM

Woodward's main acting talent is when she does "rueful." She'll pull that out of her hat usually once per role.

by Anonymousreply 121May 25, 2020 10:30 AM

[quote]PN belongs on that "Jews pretending not to be" thread.

As a 13-year-old growing up in the Netherlands, I was aware that Newman was Jewish. So if he was "pretending not to be," as you claim, he wasn't trying very hard. Enough with the well-worn anti-Semitic trope of "secret" Jews hiding under every rock.

by Anonymousreply 122May 25, 2020 1:20 PM

[quote] No, that's Elijah Wood.

Elijah is not Jewish, dear.

by Anonymousreply 123May 25, 2020 1:27 PM

Paul wasn’t technically a Jew. His mother was Slovak.

by Anonymousreply 124May 25, 2020 1:28 PM

Thanks R122 I never knew that. I wonder if he had any surgery on his face ever or did he age naturally?

by Anonymousreply 125May 25, 2020 1:39 PM

Newman and his Jewish brother, Arthur

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 25, 2020 1:49 PM

Shirtless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 25, 2020 1:51 PM

It's funny that no one ever gives Joanne Woodward shit for being a homewrecker.

by Anonymousreply 128May 25, 2020 1:56 PM

I think Cole Hayden looks a bit like him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 25, 2020 2:01 PM

You do, R128. You've been the Joanne Woodward was a homewrecker troll since 2002. No one under the age of 80 uses the term "homewrecker." btw.

by Anonymousreply 130May 25, 2020 2:27 PM

"...looking hard for a role in a movie".

LOL, R82.

by Anonymousreply 131May 25, 2020 2:29 PM

It's too bad Scotty Bowers is dead. He'd tell us all about Paul Newman's sexual history.

by Anonymousreply 132May 25, 2020 2:36 PM

He could suck the chrome off a doorknob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 25, 2020 2:56 PM

Gay. Robert Redford was much more careful. Never really outed at all.

by Anonymousreply 134May 25, 2020 3:18 PM

What changed about Paul Newman? In r59's picture he looks like an average geeky Jewish boy. He really looks stereotypical like someone is about to say, "Mrs. Newman, your Paul is going to be a doctor? My Esther is ready to settle down." Then he became this very sexy guy. What changed?

by Anonymousreply 135May 25, 2020 4:02 PM

Patrick Wilson is a shoe in to play him I think.

by Anonymousreply 136May 25, 2020 7:50 PM

It's in his eyes, that gay look.

by Anonymousreply 137May 25, 2020 7:53 PM

R135 He got less lanky, bulked up a bit and grew into his nose.

by Anonymousreply 138May 25, 2020 8:16 PM

R138 his nose wasn’t big at all, especially for a man, but he did have a small face it’s true. It filled out a bit later which o guess is why I find him the best looking in The Verdict and Absence of Malice (truly, not just “for his age).

Robert Redford has a much bigger nose (which actually saves his looks imo) but he also has a very square jaw (which hasn’t aged well as we know).

by Anonymousreply 139May 25, 2020 8:36 PM

[quote]“He never fooled me. Paul Newman had just as many on-location affairs as the rest of us, and he was just as bisexual as I was. But, where I was always getting caught with my pants down, he managed to do it in the dark.”

-- Attributed to Marlon Brando

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 25, 2020 9:02 PM

Paul has a very nice facelift along the way, and I believe he had a bit of nose-thinning very early on.

by Anonymousreply 141May 25, 2020 9:04 PM

Weren't Paul and Joanne very close to Gore Vidal? Gore would have spilled the T if Paul was bi, but I don't think he ever did. I'll google it.

by Anonymousreply 142May 25, 2020 9:24 PM

Gore Vidal only spilled the tea when you pissed him off...

by Anonymousreply 143May 25, 2020 9:32 PM

Thank you, R140, that's the exact quote I was talking about in my earlier post. I knew I read it years ago.

by Anonymousreply 144May 25, 2020 9:36 PM

R140, R87, from a Darwin Porter book. Fiction.

by Anonymousreply 145May 25, 2020 9:49 PM

Robert Redford is the gay who flew under the radar.

by Anonymousreply 146May 25, 2020 10:25 PM

Newman, half-Jewish by birth, chose to self-identify as Jewish, "because it's more of a challenge".

by Anonymousreply 147May 25, 2020 10:27 PM

I read somewhere he was really good at the Jackhammer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 25, 2020 10:28 PM

"Robert Redford is the gay who flew under the radar."

Redford is too uptight and constipated to be gay, he can hardly handle being straight.

by Anonymousreply 149May 25, 2020 10:52 PM

R135: Some people peak later in life. I'd prefer that over peaking in my early 20s and hitting the wall before 40.

R130: Homewrecker is still used among my friends and they are in their 30s and 40s. Care to give us an equivalent word instead?

by Anonymousreply 150May 26, 2020 12:10 AM

"Homewrecker" is a convenient way to blame the woman for the married man's indiscretions.

by Anonymousreply 151May 26, 2020 12:42 AM

Well, my friends and I use it for both genders. But the cheating spouse bears much of the blame, since he/she took the vow to be faithful. If you're the sidepiece and you know he/she is married when you hooked up, you are an accomplice.

by Anonymousreply 152May 26, 2020 12:47 AM

Yes, blame the woman, R151.

by Anonymousreply 153May 26, 2020 12:53 AM

If he ever walked into my joint, I'd immediately suspect him of trying to add "color," if you know what I mean.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 26, 2020 12:55 AM

I always liked Joanne Woodward. Growing up, you just accepted that the BIG names you knew are great actors. Because back then we had MOVIE STARS!

Here's an impossibly young Joanne Woodward with the legendary Kim Stanley in an early live 'golden age" television play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 26, 2020 3:36 AM

R25 = Karen

by Anonymousreply 156June 25, 2020 2:24 AM

Oh of course there would always be gay rumors about him. I'm sure there was always a lot of wishful thinking when it came to Paul Newman; he's so gorgeous, how could he NOT be gay? But all the evidence (the evidence being his behavior and the testimony of people who knew him) points to the conclusion that no, Paul Newman was not gay. He was a rarity in Hollywood; an actually GOOD guy. And his marriage to Joanne Woodward lasted a lifetime. You can tell by their interviews that they always remained in love with each other; even when elderly they were still playful and affectionate.

by Anonymousreply 157June 25, 2020 2:52 AM

Reading that "quote" about Paul by Marlon set off my bullshit bells. Marlon would never gossip like that about any of his friends. He refused all requests to comment on Marilyn Monroe after she died. They had been a brief item at one time.

r154 is a picture of Sheldon Leonard, a legendary figure in early TV. He played the Hand Dandy salesman who convinced Lucy Ricardo to buy a new vacuum cleaner when he went to collect the Handy Dandy potato peeler that didn't work. He produced, directed and occasionally guest starred in various TV sitcoms. The creator of The Big Bang Theory named his two main characters in his honor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 25, 2020 2:55 AM

Paul Newman was beautiful but never seemed very sexy or gay to me in films. Marlon Brando and James Dean oozed sex appeal. Mark Allen in OP’s pic is very attractive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 25, 2020 3:40 AM

You and I must have very different opinions of sex appeal if Newman in this scene does nothing for you, R159.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160June 25, 2020 8:52 AM

There were rumors. I thought Johannes was a lesbian but nothing was said. I enjoyed their work. I thought Paul got better looking with age.

by Anonymousreply 161June 25, 2020 4:11 PM

Johannes?

by Anonymousreply 162June 26, 2020 3:05 PM

[quote] That video with James Dean does give some vibes.

Only from Dean, who seemed self-conscious and preoccupied in the way a gay guy gets around a stunningly handsome man when others are present.

by Anonymousreply 163June 26, 2020 3:11 PM

Paul Newman had a great sense of humor. In the clip of him with Dean, it's obvious he's playing along with Dean, who is acting up., probably due to nervousness. When Dean says "Kiss me" and Newman says "Can't here" it's a really great moment, two gorgeous actors using humor to make themselves feel more at ease during an audition.

by Anonymousreply 164June 26, 2020 8:33 PM

Publicists busy in this thread

by Anonymousreply 165August 1, 2020 5:46 PM

The problem is that there isn't really anyone who comes close to him in terms of looks AND charisma.

With Montgomery Clift, you could actually substitute Bomer because Clift himself did not have as long and storied career.

But, with Newman, there's no one who comes close. Heughan doesn't come close to being as handsome, let alone charming.

by Anonymousreply 166August 1, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote]There were rumors about Paul Newman and Steve McQueen that go back decades.

Well, they would pretty much have to, seeing as how Steve died in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 167August 1, 2020 6:40 PM

Pretty grotesque to see people claiming Newman was straight. Where does that kind of insincerity come from?????

by Anonymousreply 168August 2, 2020 8:32 PM

He seemed pretty into his wife.

by Anonymousreply 169August 2, 2020 8:36 PM

"Pretty grotesque to see people claiming Newman was straight. "

Why is that? He WAS straight.

by Anonymousreply 170August 3, 2020 12:07 AM

^ 'Straight' into it...

by Anonymousreply 171August 3, 2020 12:43 AM

An old man - died at 96 at the actor’s home in Jersey- lived in my building was an actor. A sweet man, gay. He knew all of them- all those guys. He said newman was nice but skinny & married. . Brando never showered & played bongos. James dean was mostly gay but had a string of girls that took care of him. He said maureen stapleton was a magnet - everyone went to her apartment. Monty cliff was bitchy. Jason robards drank. His best friends were richard deacon & keene curtis . He had these amazing photos of all these people (at maureen stapleton’s apartment) from back then & i wanted them when he passed but his niece got them. They would of made a great book. I got his theatre world award. My husband- a total broadway queen- adored him. This thread made me think of him. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 172August 3, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote]R1 No pinging at all according to him, however they were a kind and lovely couple

I think it’s odd they always sold themselves as this wholesome couple when in truth he was married to other woman when he met little home wrecker Joanne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 3, 2020 1:52 AM

[quote] Were there ever any rumors about Paul Newman?

Is there someone alive naive enough to never have heard the pinging rumors re Paul?

by Anonymousreply 174August 3, 2020 1:53 AM

[quote]r1 No pinging at all according to him, however they were a kind and lovely couple

I thought it odd they always sold themselves as this wholesome couple, when Newman was married to someone else (and had 3 kids, no less) when little home wrecker Joanne showed up on the scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 3, 2020 1:58 AM

[quote] Despite the ongoing humiliation happening in the public eye, Jackie refused to sign the divorce papers. It wasn’t until new events forced her hand. Word got out that Joanne was pregnant with Newman’s baby, becoming the last straw in Jackie’s resistance to their separation.

[quote]Their divorce went through and as they say, the rest is history. Jackie Witte remained as one of the most mysterious aspects of Newman’s life. Newman may be considered as one of the most loyal celebrity husbands in Hollywood, to Joanne Woodward, but it was built at the expense of another woman’s betrayal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176August 3, 2020 2:11 AM

The first Mrs. Newman was a model and aspiring actress who gave up her career to raise their kids.

Then he dumped her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 3, 2020 2:20 AM

I don't get the hate for Woodward... she had a unique quality and screen presence. New York Actors Studio method oozing from her in most roles. Equal parts Shelly Winters, Barbara Stanwick and Sandy Denny. Sondra Locke could have been her in a different universe.

They were a great couple together... so loving and comfortable with each other. Nell, their daughter a real champion of progressive causes.

She's still alive, btw.

by Anonymousreply 178August 3, 2020 3:32 AM

[quote]PN belongs on that "Jews pretending not to be" thread.

Doris Day, Susan St. James and Michael Landon would have welcomed him to the club!

Did any of them EVER play a Jewish character?

by Anonymousreply 179August 3, 2020 4:14 AM

[quote]My mom used to say, "You think everyone is gay!", to which I would always reply, "You think everyone is straight!"

Incredible! It's a shame there weren't seats at The Algonquin Round Table for you two!

by Anonymousreply 180August 3, 2020 4:17 AM

I worked with Newman on The Hudsucker Proxy. He was a marvelously good looking man who had a sort of magnetism about him. Very trim and very fit at 70 or so. He was very nice to everyone on set, but could turn on playing a bastard of a character at a moment's notice. It was a pleasure working with him.

I worked with Borgnine as well and we had dinner a few times. I know he got a bad rap for saying some anti-gay stuff, but he seemed to have no problem that most of the producers with a gay theme movie written and produced by a bunch of gays. He seemed very much a "I might not approve because I don't understand, but if you're a good guy, we're good" type.

by Anonymousreply 181August 3, 2020 7:27 AM

The hate for Joanne Woodward:

1) She kept Newman from being a full time gay like the DL wants

2) She was a "home wrecker" like in a 1940s movie. The break up of Newman's first marriage was all her fault

by Anonymousreply 182August 3, 2020 11:10 AM

It's well known that Paul and Woodward were both gay. Who are all these people who don't know this? Are gays this naive or is this board populated with straights??? Acting and singing stars are gay. Period.

by Anonymousreply 183August 3, 2020 3:02 PM

R183 how dare you! I’ll sue! - liberace.

by Anonymousreply 184August 3, 2020 3:06 PM

Is she now the oldest Best Actress Oscar winner now that Olivia has passed on? Sorry, G, if you'd ever won, you might be in contention for that title.

by Anonymousreply 185August 3, 2020 3:21 PM

R183, you should correct that to: GOOD LOOKING Acting and singing stars are gay. Period.

by Anonymousreply 186August 3, 2020 3:21 PM

I gave up my kid- had a great big career, too.

by Anonymousreply 187August 3, 2020 10:09 PM

R187 wrong thread -sorry

by Anonymousreply 188August 3, 2020 10:12 PM

If you believe the following Paul Newman had affairs with Marlon Brando, James Dean, Montgomery Clift, Anthony Perkins, Sal Mineo, John Derek and Steve McQueen, among many others.

Cal Culvert (aka Casey Donovan) the porn actor and sometime bf of actor/writer Tom Tryon claimed he was the last man to have Paul Newman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 23, 2020 12:45 PM

He married a 3. You do the math.

by Anonymousreply 190August 23, 2020 1:12 PM

He was a gay ally. Straight, but I wouldn't be suprised if he's the type of straight guy that gets handsy and flirty with gay friends while drunk.

by Anonymousreply 191August 23, 2020 2:40 PM

R189, that page is a hell of a read.

by Anonymousreply 192August 23, 2020 2:43 PM

Paul is dreamy 😍

Imho, Newman is the most handsome Hollywood movie star evah !

by Anonymousreply 193August 23, 2020 2:54 PM

R191, Newman was an alcoholic who started drinking before noon every day, so I think it's safe to say that he was always drunk. He was handsie with everyone - he always had his arms around people, female and male. Newman was a very secure straight man though, I'm sure he had lots of gay friends...and would laugh, not be offended, at this thread.

by Anonymousreply 194August 23, 2020 3:14 PM

One of the good guys. I always buy his food products - the Newmans Own brand - because 100% of their profits go to charities.

by Anonymousreply 195August 23, 2020 3:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196August 23, 2020 4:38 PM

Robert Redford has zero gay rumours and was married to same woman for eons. I still say he is gay because acting is a gay profession. A straight guy would have cheated and made a fool of himself with all that access to women.

by Anonymousreply 197August 28, 2020 2:49 PM

Sure, R197, because any man at any time will cheat given the opportunity to make a fool of himself, right?

by Anonymousreply 198August 28, 2020 2:55 PM

How can guys like borgnine and John Wayne get away with anti gay comments when all their fellow actors are gay. Wayne's director was gay.

by Anonymousreply 199August 28, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote] r198 Sure, because any man at any time will cheat given the opportunity to make a fool of himself, right?

[italic]Your father did!

by Anonymousreply 200August 28, 2020 2:59 PM

R198 most men with the resources will at least divorce and take younger wife at some point. Redford was too guarded and uptight to be straight

by Anonymousreply 201August 28, 2020 3:01 PM

On the contrary, Redford is too guarded and uptight to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 202August 28, 2020 5:31 PM

Actually, Redford was probably one of those "if there's no fucking it's not really sex" guys who accepted quick favors from various women. No emotion is right up his alley. Therefore, Redford stayed "faithful" to his Mormon wife and their three children.

by Anonymousreply 203August 28, 2020 5:40 PM

Paul Newman in Venice, 1963

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 2, 2020 4:30 AM

How can the original OP pic be Paul Newman? He doesn't have that nose or cleft chin.

by Anonymousreply 205September 2, 2020 5:31 AM

My favorite Newman film is "Nobody's Fool."

by Anonymousreply 206September 2, 2020 5:44 AM

For me it's "The Hustler" with Jackie Gleason playing 'Minnesota Fats".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 2, 2020 10:48 AM

R205, it isn't him, it's a look-a-like. Try to follow.

by Anonymousreply 208September 2, 2020 12:56 PM

Redford hung around a lot with neuman to be straight. I just can't imagine a straight guy in college deciding to major in drama.

by Anonymousreply 209September 2, 2020 1:40 PM

neuman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210September 2, 2020 2:23 PM

R210 life is difficult enough without smartass comments

by Anonymousreply 211September 2, 2020 3:42 PM

R209, Redford was a baseball player and an artist, not in theater. He was thrown out of college for being a drunk. He never hung out with Newman, never met him until Butch Cassidy. After that they were "show biz friends."

by Anonymousreply 212September 2, 2020 3:56 PM

Redford took drama for couple years at boulder university. A lot of gay actors start as elite athletes ie Burt Reynolds. Why was Redford an alcoholic at such a young age? Redford could be straight but almost all his fellow actors are gay so I think it's safe to assume he is gay too. There is something very fake about him.

by Anonymousreply 213September 3, 2020 7:04 PM

My favorite Paul Newman movies are "Cool Hand Luke" and "Hud." He was perfect in them both. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 214September 3, 2020 8:13 PM

Sweet Bird of Youth was also very good and he made an excellent gigolo/failed actor. And then there was Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. The mendacity! So much excellent work.

by Anonymousreply 215September 4, 2020 3:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!