Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Were there ever any rumors about Paul Newman?

Because... God DAMN, look at him!

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 16406/26/2020

My husband and his ex met him and Joanne several times and were guests at their ranch. No pinging at all according to him, however they were a kind and lovely couple and extremely gay friendly according to him.

by is this from a film?reply 105/24/2020

Always rumors. No evidence.

by is this from a film?reply 205/24/2020

And op, your link is in black and white.

While he looks gorgeous in that photo, his beauty is heightened by his piercing blue eyes.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 305/24/2020

Even as an older man, he was hot as fuck.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 405/24/2020

Died in 2008 at age 83.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 505/24/2020

Sexy fucker.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 605/24/2020

Look at this and tell me there's no heat going on. Newman is preening like a peacock.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 705/24/2020

Apparently, Miss Samantha Heughan is going to play Paul Newman.

Do you see the resemblance? Rofl.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 805/24/2020

Looks like a sailor boy here.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 905/24/2020

OP, pic could possibly be from the film “Hud” (1963).

by is this from a film?reply 1005/24/2020

[quote] Do you see the resemblance? Rofl.

Maybe they'll give him a prosthetic nose.

by is this from a film?reply 1105/24/2020

Years ago my friend's mother used to refer to him as "the blue-eyed Jew".

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 1205/24/2020

Fascinating R12!

by is this from a film?reply 1305/24/2020

[quote] Years ago my friend's mother used to refer to him as "the blue-eyed Jew".

No, that's Elijah Wood.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 1405/24/2020

Highly gay friendly and confident in his sexuality. Best friends and roommates with Gore Vidal and his husband (along with Joannne), took on gay roles in Tennessee Williams plays - very accepting for his time and place. I have a lot of respect for Paul Newman. One of the good guys - when there were very few allies.

by is this from a film?reply 1505/24/2020

When he died there were several threads on DL. Several people in them claimed they'd seen him more than once at gay bars they frequented. Nobody said they actually had him, though.

by is this from a film?reply 1605/24/2020

Zero

Number of good looking actors DLers don't claim have at least "experimented with the homosex"

by is this from a film?reply 1705/24/2020

Did he and Woodward ever have children?

by is this from a film?reply 1805/24/2020

[quote] When he died there were several threads on DL. Several people in them claimed they'd seen him more than once at gay bars they frequented. Nobody said they actually had him, though.

Damn.

I wonder what's his type?

by is this from a film?reply 1905/24/2020

Lots of kids

by is this from a film?reply 2005/24/2020

[quote]Did he and Woodward ever have children?

He had three children with Joanne and three with his first wife.

by is this from a film?reply 2105/24/2020

Nice abs

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 2205/24/2020

Some straight men especially straight actors can be a bit flirty with men but they're just toying because they get off on the attention. It gives them a chance to preen.

by is this from a film?reply 2305/24/2020

I thought there was a rumor that he and Cruise got it on on the color of money.

by is this from a film?reply 2405/24/2020

There's already been repeated thread after repeated thread on this OP. Why did you find it necessary to come here and start another? Why? Why OP? Can you give us an intelligent, honest answer? Can you? Why would you come here and post this kind of shit yet AGAIN when there have already been so many prior threads on this EXACT same subject. Do you really think this is that damned interesting that it warrants another entire thread to be started? DO YOU??

Why couldn't you have done a search first OP? That would have been the polite thing to do. What you demonstrated was just plain selfishness. You have shown that you don't think about anybody but yourself. It's all about you and your own satisfaction. Next time before you post, do us all a favor and do a search. We don't need another duplicate thread just because of your laziness.

by is this from a film?reply 2505/24/2020

He is like an even sexier and more masculine version of Paul Walker.

by is this from a film?reply 2605/24/2020

Paul Walker was gorgeous but not very sexy. PN was indeed sexiness personified.

That video with James Dean does give some vibes.

by is this from a film?reply 2705/24/2020

While OP's picture is identified as Paul Newman on Tumblr and Pinterest, I don't think that is him. Both PN and the person in the pic are great looking, however OP's photo just doesn't look right. Here is a similar one that is unmistakenly PN.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 2805/24/2020

I don't know what age they're portraying Paul in r8's link, but Patrick Wilson was born to play him.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 2905/24/2020

R3 - yes, beautiful eyes, no doubt. But, honestly? I'd never seen the OP pic before I randomly stumbled upon it on Tumblr and I think it is hands down, the sexiest I've ever seen him look. Something about that pose, about that steely gaze, the curve of that black hat, the open shirt, the every so slight 5 o'clock shadow. It's just... too much (Mary! -- I know)

I've never seen Hud, but I did an image search and I feel like he's younger in this OP pic than he was in Hud. I wonder if this is from a certain film or TV project.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 3005/24/2020

Yes, gay. I guarantee it.

by is this from a film?reply 3105/24/2020

The face is like a more masculine Paul Rudd or a more attractive Norm McDonald.

by is this from a film?reply 3205/24/2020

Paul Newman is so gorgeous. My god.

I had the exhilarating experience of meeting Paul Walker and chatting with him in an LA bar back before he hit it bigtime. I recognized him from the movie Pleasantville. He was so good looking that I almost couldn't focus on what he was saying because his looks (and eyes) were so distracting. And he was very sexy. I thought he was flirting/ hitting on me, but he was with an equally handsome guy (I thought his date, but now I think it was his brother) Super friendly, though. Not pretentious or cocky or douchey at all.

by is this from a film?reply 3305/24/2020

What always got me about PN was that he was so handsome and he seemed like a good guy with his heart in the right place.

by is this from a film?reply 3405/24/2020

I couldn't stand how curmudgeony he got in his old age. He Just seemed like a very unpleasant miserable human being. Why do people get like that when they get old?

by is this from a film?reply 3505/24/2020

I guarantee James Dean had one of the very first tastes of Newman's Own Salad Dressing.

by is this from a film?reply 3605/24/2020

R28 It looks exactly like Paul Newman to me. Same hooded eyes. Even the hairline is the same.

by is this from a film?reply 3705/24/2020

It’s not for me to say.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 3805/24/2020

That picture at R28 is "off" - It's close, but I'm not sure if that is Newman.

And if it is supposed to be from Hud, the hat is all wrong. Wrong color and wrong material. Even dressed up for his father's funeral Hud was wearing the same straw (?) hat as before.

by is this from a film?reply 3905/24/2020

R37: It's not Newman. It's some model from the early 2000s. I remember his face, but not his name. Google's image search doesn't reveal his identity. OP's photo might be from a Polo Ralph Lauren ad. The model has a slight bump on the bridge of his nose. Newman's nose had a straight profile.. The model's cleft chin has a longer and deeper dimple compared to Newman.

by is this from a film?reply 4005/24/2020

The chin and nose look different to me. The chin in OP looks to have more of a cleft and the nose seems to have more of a slight arch. It is very close but it seems slightly off.

R39 It is a colorized photo, I'm guessing. But, it is the same straw hat. As you can tell from this still from the film.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 4105/24/2020

I think anyone, straight or gay, in that close proximity to Dean would have automatically become a bit flirty.

by is this from a film?reply 4205/24/2020

Sorry R40 your post hadn't shown up when I posted.

by is this from a film?reply 4305/24/2020

R35 You'll see!

by is this from a film?reply 4405/24/2020

No problem, R41/R43. Great minds think alike, eh?

by is this from a film?reply 4505/24/2020

I want to hear all the other witty things R12's friend' s mother used to say!

by is this from a film?reply 4605/24/2020

In fact, there have been plenty of rumors and accounts of his sexual exploits with, among others, Tony Perkins, James Dean, and Tom Cruise.

Of course, there's never been any hard proof, either (pun intended).

R12, your friend's mother sounds like a cunt.

by is this from a film?reply 4705/24/2020

He was so handsome. Love these pics <3

by is this from a film?reply 4805/24/2020

"In fact, there have been plenty of rumors and accounts of his sexual exploits "

Too bad he and Elizabeth Taylor didn't hook up while filming Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. They were both at their peak of physical beauty. I'd love to see the human specimen created by that genetic gene pool.

by is this from a film?reply 4905/24/2020

R49, why must you heterosexualize what R47 said?

by is this from a film?reply 5005/24/2020

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, he was so hot playing troubled guy loving another guy. Hot hot hot

by is this from a film?reply 5105/24/2020

Coincidentally, I watched the Robert Zemickis film "I Want to Hold Your Hand" yesterday and Susan Kendall Newman, Paul's daughter from his first marriage, was one of the supporting actresses. I was surprised by how plain looking she was. If I hadn't gone on IMDB, I wouldn't have thought she was Paul Newman's daughter at all.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 5205/24/2020

"why must you heterosexualize what [R47] said?"

Because I prefer to live in the real world, instead of "everybody's gay" fantasy land.

by is this from a film?reply 5305/24/2020

There were rumors about Paul Newman and Steve McQueen that go back decades.

by is this from a film?reply 5405/24/2020

R33, Paul Walker really was the modern day equivalent of Paul Newman.

Both were gorgeous men.

Like many here have already stated, Newman was so handsome in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Newman was old by the time I came to know who he was, but I watched COAHTR and was instantly a fan. He was mesmerizing in that movie, even though he was being an asshole throughout it.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 5505/24/2020

THAT'S living in the real world, Mary R53? Fantasizing about the children Liz and Paul would have had? You sound like a fucking frau.

by is this from a film?reply 5605/24/2020

r49, I have a kooky little theory that I like to kid about: (usually) 2 genetically beautiful people don't have beautiful children because they've used up all the good looking genes. I've seen more plain looking people have beautiful kids-they need their genes to survive.

by is this from a film?reply 5705/24/2020

Paul Newman had six pack abs in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and he was about 30 years old!

The guy obviously worked out. He was in great shape his entire life.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 5805/24/2020

R52: Have you seen his first wife? Daughter got Mom's genes, unfortunately.

Joanne was definitely an upgrade.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 5905/24/2020

The other thread running on DL now has a post about a three-way with Eartha Kitt, James Dean, and Paul Newman.

by is this from a film?reply 6005/24/2020

R52 You're cruel.

by is this from a film?reply 6105/24/2020

Another Paul Newman link running now...

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 6205/24/2020

Lots of rumors about him and Woodward. He sure seemed to hint at it in the Dean screen test. My guess is that he at least dabbled. Dean was gay- not just Bi.

by is this from a film?reply 6305/24/2020

[quote]he was hot as fuck.

God, I hate (and pity) millennials and zoomers. Every single thread about a handsome movie star is repeated posts of the above phrase in different forms, with no actual gossip. Contrast this with threads from 10-15 years ago where we'd have gotten all sorts of credible gossip by now. Thankfully, I saved many of those threads and occasionally go back to them for my own enjoyment. I'm reading an old Newman thread and believe me, r47 who obviously remembers the good old DL gossip, hasn't even begun to scratch the surface.

by is this from a film?reply 6405/24/2020

OP, you idiot, that is not Paul Newman.

by is this from a film?reply 6505/24/2020

I am always amazed at these threads that think every single guy must be gay. Instead of asking if someone is gay why don't you just assume the entire male species is gay and then occasionally ask if you think some guy might be straight. At least it would be a switch from, is he gay.

by is this from a film?reply 6605/24/2020

R66=the "I am always amazed at these threads that think every single guy must be gay" troll.

by is this from a film?reply 6705/24/2020

PN belongs on that "Jews pretending not to be" thread.

by is this from a film?reply 6805/24/2020

My Mistake.

I was referring to OP's picture. Not the picture at R28.

by is this from a film?reply 6905/24/2020

There’s an MLB pitcher who looks like him. I forgot his name though or what team he plays for (I wanna say the Blue Jays or sone team in Minnesota). But I remember seeing him and thought he looked like Paul Newman, but with a nicer butt. Then he hocked a loogie and I was kinda turned off. For maybe two innings, but I’m over it now. Str8 boys are kinda gross sometimes, it is what it is.

by is this from a film?reply 7005/24/2020

Yes, there were rumors.

He had movie star looks and made great films though he had limitations as an actor.

by is this from a film?reply 7105/24/2020

Alright, alright, alright. If you all insist the OP picture is mislabeled and not really Newman, I believe you, but it looks STRIKINGLY like him and was labeled as such on Tumblr and Pinterest. Does anyone know WHO it is? If he's an actor, he'd be almost too perfect to play Newman.

by is this from a film?reply 7205/24/2020

R66, who would have thought on a gay gossip forum a subject of gay gossip would be considered gay?

by is this from a film?reply 7305/24/2020

r29, they do share similar facial features, and of course both men have/had beautiful muscular bodies (and both men can/could genuinely act). The only problem I see would be that Patrick Wilson is so much taller than Newman was. Newman was famously a short man, and Wilson is a tall man.

by is this from a film?reply 7405/24/2020

[quote] I am always amazed at these threads that think every single guy must be gay.

My mom used to say, "You think everyone is gay!", to which I would always reply, "You think everyone is straight!"

by is this from a film?reply 7505/24/2020

One of my favorite things about Newman was that he was such a big-hearted liberal when it came to politics--and unlike other famous big-hearted liberals of his generation (Frank Sinatra and Charlton Heston), he did not do a 180 degree turn when he got older.

by is this from a film?reply 7605/24/2020

Didn't Paul also have something going on between him and Steve McQueen? I think he also made it with Marlon Brando (there's a picture of him staring at Marlon in such a way that would suggest more than a little starstruck.) And I believe I read somewhere he had something with Monty Clift, too. Paul made a confession to Monty's brother that he thought Monty to be quite rough in bed.

by is this from a film?reply 7705/24/2020

To me he was just someone who oozed sex and had great chemistry with his co-stars, male or female. He wasn't gay but you can't look like that and not have experimented a bit.

by is this from a film?reply 7805/24/2020

r74, Paul Walker was tall too, but I can deal with the height difference.

by is this from a film?reply 7905/24/2020

Newman was short - like, maybe 5'8". I passed him on West 72nd Street between Columbus Avenue and Broadway coming out of a bakery. Onscreen it didn't matter much; in person, it somewhat did. McQueen, of course, was also short - they both had something unique.

McQueen was a right-wing conservative; Newman a dyed in the wool East Coast liberal. I doubt they were doing anything together.

And, by the way, technically, Newman wasn't Jewish: his father was, his mother was not - Jewishness as a fact accepted formally by all but the loosest Reform Jews is passed on through the mother, although asserting Jewish ethnicity can come from either parent.

by is this from a film?reply 8005/24/2020

R64, You know you're a real bitch when you brag about the good ol' days of DL's past but aren't gracious enough to share a link.

by is this from a film?reply 8105/24/2020

Someone once told me Paul Newman attended the Sunday swimming parties held at Rock Hudson's house and elsewhere. Most of the guys were nude, at least the ones who were looking hard for a role in a movie. There were always powerful connections in the industry at these parties.

by is this from a film?reply 8205/24/2020

R57 I can see that being true.

by is this from a film?reply 8305/24/2020

I'm as old as dirt, and NO there were never gay rumors about Paul until the internet, especially the Datalounge. I think they rumors came from the fact that Newman played gay, and was interested in playing gay in The Front Runner. Runner was in the 70s, but I never heard anything then, and I read all of the movie magazines. The guy wasn't gay, okay? Have a fantasy that he was.

R59, Funny that his first wife was a dead ringer for Carol Burnett.

R52, Paul and Joanne's daughter Neil looks a little like him.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 8405/24/2020

^ Paul and Joanne's daughter Neil looks a little like him. That should be NELL.

by is this from a film?reply 8505/24/2020

[quote] Newman had no religion as an adult, but described himself as a Jew, saying "it's more of a challenge"

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 8605/24/2020

I could've sworn I read somewhere years ago that Marlon Brando outed him, and I'm paraphrasing, "We all experimented, Paul did, too." Or maybe it was a made-up statement from a gossip columnist.

by is this from a film?reply 8705/24/2020

I always liked that he was such an admirer of his wife's talent. He kept her to the forefront in the 70s by directing her films, when other women of her type and age (like Eva Marie Saint) disappeared.

by is this from a film?reply 8805/24/2020

R87, that "quote" originated at the Datalounge.

by is this from a film?reply 8905/24/2020

You may very well be as old as dirt, R84, but to say there was never any gay rumors about Newman is completely untrue. Not only have I heard them, I think there were allegations in a book that was published over the last 10 years. As for its being on Datalounge, here's one link.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 9005/24/2020

Here's another one.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 9105/24/2020

*but to say there were never any gay rumors

by is this from a film?reply 9205/24/2020

R12, Half Jewish, half Irish, actually.

by is this from a film?reply 9305/24/2020

[quote]Too bad he and Elizabeth Taylor didn't hook up while filming Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. They were both at their peak of physical beauty. I'd love to see the human specimen created by that genetic gene pool.

Sometimes two attractive people can have a homely child. It's not that uncommon.

by is this from a film?reply 9405/24/2020

A lot of the unsubstantiated gay rumors came from Darwin Porter's "biographies" on Paul, Brando, James Dean, Steve McQueen, Rock Hudson, etc. That hack lives by the Rethug's playbook of repeating the same lies over and over again until they become truth.

by is this from a film?reply 9505/24/2020

R95, the "lies" of movie stars and Dump's lies have substantially different impacts.

by is this from a film?reply 9605/24/2020

*the "lies" about movie stars

by is this from a film?reply 9705/24/2020

Newman had a very tight, fit body. Unusual for that era.

by is this from a film?reply 9805/24/2020

"but to say there was never any gay rumors about Newman is completely untrue. Not only have I heard them, I think there were allegations in a book that was published over the last 10 years. "

TEN YEARS? That's nothing. Are you fourteen?

by is this from a film?reply 9905/24/2020

[quote] Paul made a confession to Monty's brother that he thought Monty to be quite rough in bed.

I'll need to see a link, please!

by is this from a film?reply 10005/24/2020

Yes, many gay rumours, and I think some admissions too. As today's equivalent, obviously that would be William Levy Martinez

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 10105/24/2020

His name is Mark Allen Alvarez

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 10205/24/2020

R102 -- Wow, well done, Jessica Fletcher! He's gorgeous and really does look so much like Newman in CERTAIN shots. (click the link for a couple of images)

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 10305/24/2020

It’s not unheard of for a confident straight man to go to a gay bar. Maybe he was with friends who were gay. People are just people, gay or straight. I have no issue with straights being at the gay bar to have a drink or socialize. I think a straight man who doesn’t care what other people think about doing stuff like that is sexy as fuck.

by is this from a film?reply 10405/24/2020

Gorgeous guy, but not many photos on the internet.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 10505/24/2020

R100, It was from a blog post on "Gay Influence". Not sure if it has any validity to it but still quite an entertaining tidbit.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 10605/24/2020

What are you yammering on about, R99?

by is this from a film?reply 10705/24/2020

I always got a masculine energy from Jo Woodward in every role. They were an in interesting couple. She was not ugly by any means but next to him she looked outright homely.

by is this from a film?reply 10805/24/2020

Aside from The Three Faces of Eve, I'm not sure if I've seen a performance from Joanne that was particularly memorable? Okay, I guess Rachel Rachel and the Effect of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds, or whatever. She wasn't a bad actress by any means, she just didn't have that "oomph."

I'd even argue that she was a poor man's Eva Marie Saint. Who didn't have the BEST roles, but I found her to be more charming than Woodward on screen.

I have always wanted to see Joanne in The Stripper, but I don't think that's been released on DVD yet. Of course, it was a role Marilyn was supposed to star in before her death.

by is this from a film?reply 10905/24/2020

There was a minute when I thought Josh Lucas could have played Paul Newman.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 11005/24/2020

Woodward would be a forgettable blip among actors of her generation if it weren't for her association with Newman. Meh.

by is this from a film?reply 11105/24/2020

Woodward is OK in The Stripper, but the script is terrible, based on one of William Inge's weakest plays, A Loss of Roses.

by is this from a film?reply 11205/24/2020

He was very liberal. He was a backer of The Nation.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 11305/24/2020

He seemed like the last person who would have been bothered by the rumors which of course makes him all the more attractive. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he were comfortable enough to go to a gay bar. And as others have said a liberal back when that really meant something.

He was the human equivalent of a fine wine — both his looks and his acting only got better with age. I did seen him in person once, near where he lived (Carnegie Hill), and he’s definitely small (as a lot of actors are)...I guess in real life that would take off maybe a point max, but certainly not onscreen.

by is this from a film?reply 11405/24/2020

His wife was long rumored to be a dyke, if Paul was anything it was discreet.

by is this from a film?reply 11505/24/2020

He was so handsome. But also a terrific actor. Watching a lot of his later work and I loved his performances in Absence of Malice, The Verdict, The Color of Money and Blaze.

He really deserved the Oscar for The Verdict, though nobody was going to win over Ben Kingsley in Gandhi. The Verdict is an excellent film.

by is this from a film?reply 11605/24/2020

I think the OP's picture has been enhanced.

I think the bridge of his nose has been strengthened in Photoshop.

by is this from a film?reply 11705/24/2020

R117 - Nope. It's not him. See R102.

by is this from a film?reply 11805/25/2020

The internet is terrible about identifying photos. I even saw one copy of OP's photo as being by George Hurrell -- as if Hurrell would EVER have taken a photo like that!

I think the photographer did a good job making Alvarez look Old Hollywood but I'm surprised so many people readily believed it was Paul Newman. The chin is completely wrong.

by is this from a film?reply 11905/25/2020

Woodward is probably the weakest actor in the ensemble cast of Paris Blues, but she gives a really good performance in the "you're never gonna forget me" speech toward the end.

by is this from a film?reply 12005/25/2020

Woodward's main acting talent is when she does "rueful." She'll pull that out of her hat usually once per role.

by is this from a film?reply 12105/25/2020

[quote]PN belongs on that "Jews pretending not to be" thread.

As a 13-year-old growing up in the Netherlands, I was aware that Newman was Jewish. So if he was "pretending not to be," as you claim, he wasn't trying very hard. Enough with the well-worn anti-Semitic trope of "secret" Jews hiding under every rock.

by is this from a film?reply 12205/25/2020

[quote] No, that's Elijah Wood.

Elijah is not Jewish, dear.

by is this from a film?reply 12305/25/2020

Paul wasn’t technically a Jew. His mother was Slovak.

by is this from a film?reply 12405/25/2020

Thanks R122 I never knew that. I wonder if he had any surgery on his face ever or did he age naturally?

by is this from a film?reply 12505/25/2020

Newman and his Jewish brother, Arthur

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 12605/25/2020

Shirtless

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 12705/25/2020

It's funny that no one ever gives Joanne Woodward shit for being a homewrecker.

by is this from a film?reply 12805/25/2020

I think Cole Hayden looks a bit like him.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 12905/25/2020

You do, R128. You've been the Joanne Woodward was a homewrecker troll since 2002. No one under the age of 80 uses the term "homewrecker." btw.

by is this from a film?reply 13005/25/2020

"...looking hard for a role in a movie".

LOL, R82.

by is this from a film?reply 13105/25/2020

It's too bad Scotty Bowers is dead. He'd tell us all about Paul Newman's sexual history.

by is this from a film?reply 13205/25/2020

He could suck the chrome off a doorknob.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 13305/25/2020

Gay. Robert Redford was much more careful. Never really outed at all.

by is this from a film?reply 13405/25/2020

What changed about Paul Newman? In r59's picture he looks like an average geeky Jewish boy. He really looks stereotypical like someone is about to say, "Mrs. Newman, your Paul is going to be a doctor? My Esther is ready to settle down." Then he became this very sexy guy. What changed?

by is this from a film?reply 13505/25/2020

Patrick Wilson is a shoe in to play him I think.

by is this from a film?reply 13605/25/2020

It's in his eyes, that gay look.

by is this from a film?reply 13705/25/2020

R135 He got less lanky, bulked up a bit and grew into his nose.

by is this from a film?reply 13805/25/2020

R138 his nose wasn’t big at all, especially for a man, but he did have a small face it’s true. It filled out a bit later which o guess is why I find him the best looking in The Verdict and Absence of Malice (truly, not just “for his age).

Robert Redford has a much bigger nose (which actually saves his looks imo) but he also has a very square jaw (which hasn’t aged well as we know).

by is this from a film?reply 13905/25/2020

[quote]“He never fooled me. Paul Newman had just as many on-location affairs as the rest of us, and he was just as bisexual as I was. But, where I was always getting caught with my pants down, he managed to do it in the dark.”

-- Attributed to Marlon Brando

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 14005/25/2020

Paul has a very nice facelift along the way, and I believe he had a bit of nose-thinning very early on.

by is this from a film?reply 14105/25/2020

Weren't Paul and Joanne very close to Gore Vidal? Gore would have spilled the T if Paul was bi, but I don't think he ever did. I'll google it.

by is this from a film?reply 14205/25/2020

Gore Vidal only spilled the tea when you pissed him off...

by is this from a film?reply 14305/25/2020

Thank you, R140, that's the exact quote I was talking about in my earlier post. I knew I read it years ago.

by is this from a film?reply 14405/25/2020

R140, R87, from a Darwin Porter book. Fiction.

by is this from a film?reply 14505/25/2020

Robert Redford is the gay who flew under the radar.

by is this from a film?reply 14605/25/2020

Newman, half-Jewish by birth, chose to self-identify as Jewish, "because it's more of a challenge".

by is this from a film?reply 14705/25/2020

I read somewhere he was really good at the Jackhammer.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 14805/25/2020

"Robert Redford is the gay who flew under the radar."

Redford is too uptight and constipated to be gay, he can hardly handle being straight.

by is this from a film?reply 14905/25/2020

R135: Some people peak later in life. I'd prefer that over peaking in my early 20s and hitting the wall before 40.

R130: Homewrecker is still used among my friends and they are in their 30s and 40s. Care to give us an equivalent word instead?

by is this from a film?reply 15005/25/2020

"Homewrecker" is a convenient way to blame the woman for the married man's indiscretions.

by is this from a film?reply 15105/25/2020

Well, my friends and I use it for both genders. But the cheating spouse bears much of the blame, since he/she took the vow to be faithful. If you're the sidepiece and you know he/she is married when you hooked up, you are an accomplice.

by is this from a film?reply 15205/25/2020

Yes, blame the woman, R151.

by is this from a film?reply 15305/25/2020

If he ever walked into my joint, I'd immediately suspect him of trying to add "color," if you know what I mean.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 15405/25/2020

I always liked Joanne Woodward. Growing up, you just accepted that the BIG names you knew are great actors. Because back then we had MOVIE STARS!

Here's an impossibly young Joanne Woodward with the legendary Kim Stanley in an early live 'golden age" television play.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 15505/25/2020

R25 = Karen

by is this from a film?reply 15606/24/2020

Oh of course there would always be gay rumors about him. I'm sure there was always a lot of wishful thinking when it came to Paul Newman; he's so gorgeous, how could he NOT be gay? But all the evidence (the evidence being his behavior and the testimony of people who knew him) points to the conclusion that no, Paul Newman was not gay. He was a rarity in Hollywood; an actually GOOD guy. And his marriage to Joanne Woodward lasted a lifetime. You can tell by their interviews that they always remained in love with each other; even when elderly they were still playful and affectionate.

by is this from a film?reply 15706/24/2020

Reading that "quote" about Paul by Marlon set off my bullshit bells. Marlon would never gossip like that about any of his friends. He refused all requests to comment on Marilyn Monroe after she died. They had been a brief item at one time.

r154 is a picture of Sheldon Leonard, a legendary figure in early TV. He played the Hand Dandy salesman who convinced Lucy Ricardo to buy a new vacuum cleaner when he went to collect the Handy Dandy potato peeler that didn't work. He produced, directed and occasionally guest starred in various TV sitcoms. The creator of The Big Bang Theory named his two main characters in his honor.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 15806/24/2020

Paul Newman was beautiful but never seemed very sexy or gay to me in films. Marlon Brando and James Dean oozed sex appeal. Mark Allen in OP’s pic is very attractive

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 15906/24/2020

You and I must have very different opinions of sex appeal if Newman in this scene does nothing for you, R159.

Offsite Link
by is this from a film?reply 16006/25/2020

There were rumors. I thought Johannes was a lesbian but nothing was said. I enjoyed their work. I thought Paul got better looking with age.

by is this from a film?reply 16106/25/2020

Johannes?

by is this from a film?reply 16206/26/2020

[quote] That video with James Dean does give some vibes.

Only from Dean, who seemed self-conscious and preoccupied in the way a gay guy gets around a stunningly handsome man when others are present.

by is this from a film?reply 16306/26/2020

Paul Newman had a great sense of humor. In the clip of him with Dean, it's obvious he's playing along with Dean, who is acting up., probably due to nervousness. When Dean says "Kiss me" and Newman says "Can't here" it's a really great moment, two gorgeous actors using humor to make themselves feel more at ease during an audition.

by is this from a film?reply 16406/26/2020
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!