Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

JCPenneys is DEAD TO ME!

Well, bankrupt, anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2020 5:05 PM

Long time coming.

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2020 10:51 PM

When did they stop using capital letters?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2020 10:57 PM

I wonder if it can really restructure. Doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2020 10:57 PM

Who gives a fat shit?

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2020 10:58 PM

Good riddance

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2020 11:00 PM

When I was a kid, we called it Monkey Wards despite there being no S, OP. And yet here and there, it was written as Wards. Like Penneys.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2020 11:03 PM

Yeah, but will they disappear or live out a slow death like Sears?

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2020 11:04 PM

Back when it was still fabulous and had a FABULOUS logo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2020 11:12 PM

We know, Darling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2020 11:15 PM

Since mine was 28 minutes ago, and the one you linked to, R9, was posted 14 minutes ago, that means you can FUCK RIGHT OFF.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2020 11:16 PM

Stafford shirts are wonderful

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2020 11:17 PM

now remains to be seen if Sears/Kmart's collapse is complete

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2020 11:17 PM

The GLAM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2020 11:18 PM

I love the St. John's Bay line.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2020 11:18 PM

I have some friends who retired from there as executives and traveling display coordinators....will their pensions be safe?

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2020 11:18 PM

"Karen Valentine Casual"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2020 11:20 PM

They have never been top of the line but they were dependable for a lot of stuff.

But you could see them going the way of Sears (messy store, no floor help, one register open on the entire floor with ONE cashier.)

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2020 11:21 PM

This is bad news. JC Penney has great bargains and good summer and casual clothes--shorts, shirts, Polo shirts, T-shirts, lounging pants around the house. Cant beat the prices. Hope the store in Fashion Valley San Diego survives.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2020 11:22 PM

I love that pic R8! I remember the logo. I found some great bargains there and I have Thick T-shirts that have held up from the 80s.

I’m sorry it and Sears are gone. In their heyday they were wonderful for back to school shopping.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2020 11:23 PM

I think they will be able to restructure. Though their executives should face fraud charges for how they handled the bankruptcy. There should be a law that says if you are an executive of a company that doesn't turn a profit or goes bankrupt, you only get a small base salary.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2020 11:33 PM

Every Penneys store I've visited in 10 years has been very neat and clean with full product supply. Quite unlike that rats nest Macys.

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2020 11:36 PM

I work at Macy’s as a merchandiser. New York doesn’t care what size store you have and they keep ordering and ordering as if it was the New York Macy’s. We have so much stock and overhead, that a lot never makes it out on the floor and becomes “penny stock” and shipped back to the vendor. It’s such a waste. It will sit in a stockroom because there is no room for it , we have too much of it, and there isn’t enough manpower to put the merchandise out. It’s hard to keep quality people for 13.50 per hour. I work my ass off rolling Z-bars around, moving displays and trying to clean up the mess the customers left the day before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2020 11:54 PM

Sad. I have gotten some good quality clothes there in recent years. As someone said above, I love their St. John's Bay line of clothes especially.

Also, I completely agree the stores were much neater and better organized than Macys. Everytime I go in Macys, I just shake my head at the rats nest of clothes strewn about and leave, headed to JCPenney in the same mall.

Hope Penny survives.

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2020 11:59 PM

R22 Why, don't they bring back bargain basements and sell it there instead of shipping it back?

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2020 12:01 AM

I actually used to love the JCPenney outlets. They were really great. But you could tell someone in ordering always got the sizes wrong. They'd have a million of some tall size or something and no regulars.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2020 12:09 AM

r2 They switched to that lowercase logo during the ill-fated Ron Johnson era a few years back. But they quickly changed back to the JCPenney logo they currently use (although the font is slightly different.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2020 12:16 AM

Keep cheering R4 and R5

This is what's going to replace department stores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2020 12:16 AM

Remember when people dressed decently to go shopping?

I mean, the basics. Bathing. Hygiene. Looking decent in public!

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2020 12:19 AM

Our current retail climate is so classy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2020 12:21 AM

r16, we had that furniture from Pennys in our home.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2020 12:22 AM

R1l, you're right. Their Oxford shirts never wrinkle and not expensive.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2020 12:23 AM

A cheerful family room? Home office?

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2020 12:23 AM

I really like their Stafford button downs.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2020 12:23 AM

My 87 year old mother will be bereft when I tell her . Shes been a faithful Penneys shopper for 50 years. I liked them as well,but have found the quality in clothing has deteriorated considerably . Its the same old tissue thin made in china crap thats everywhere else now. Ive got 20 year old St. Johns Bay shirts that still look good and I still wear.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2020 12:33 AM

My mother bought all my undies and white T shirts from JCP and then sewed name tags into the collars and waist bands. I’m sure Karens don’t do that little nicety anymore.

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2020 12:48 AM

I buy 95 percent of my clothes at Penney's. I know the brands, and their website is so easy to use.

If they go under, I cannot afford to shop at the higher end stores. I will have to buy clothes from Walmart and Target. I went to Walmart today to get some food and cleaning supplies. The pic at R29 is close to what I saw. I am all for different body types, but why do you want to show it to everybody. I don't care if you're a tiny size 0 or a larger size 3X, cover up your tits, ass, and thighs. We don't all want to see it.

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2020 1:15 AM

It’s a goner.

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2020 1:15 AM

R36 I loved St Johns Bay, and I also like the Foundry stuff (for those of us girls who are a bit more ample in our middle age).

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2020 1:18 AM

I hope this doesn't mean we won't get Jaclyn Smith's long awaited Bootsie Gumdrop line.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2020 1:20 AM

Email from the CEO. Note how she avoids using the "B" word.

JCPenney's CEO Explains How the Company is Positioning for the Future

Dear Valued Customer,

I want to thank you for your continued loyalty to JCPenney as we navigate the unprecedented challenges brought on by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. As you well know, the pandemic has changed day-to-day life and created a profoundly different reality.

Retailers have been hit especially hard by this economic environment, impacting our Company's ability to meet financial and operational objectives. That is why JCPenney has chosen to pursue a financial restructuring.

We believe this process will give us the financial strength to weather the pandemic and evolve our business while also reducing our debt and increasing our flexibility to better position JCPenney for the future. This will allow us to better serve you, our valued customer.

I want to assure you: JCPenney is NOT going out of business. JCPenney will continue to be one of the nation's largest apparel and home retailers. Our expansive footprint will still include hundreds of stores across the U.S. and Puerto Rico, as well as our online flagship store, jcp.com.

While our stores have been closed during the pandemic, we are now safely and gradually reopening across the country, based on state and local guidelines. Check here to see if a store near you is open, and for more information on the important health and safety measures we have put in place to help ensure a healthy shopping environment.

We remain dedicated to offering you an inspiring shopping experience with the value and quality you expect in both our stores and on jcp.com. We will continue to provide compelling merchandise and offer new services and innovations, including Contact-free curbside pickup at all open stores.

JCPenney has been part of America's communities for more than 100 years, and we look forward to serving our customers for another 100 years.

Thank you for being our valued customer.

Sincerely,

Jill Soltau Chief Executive Officer JCPenney

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2020 1:20 AM

R38, I buy the Worthington and St John's Bay clothing for work. They also carry the major lines of jeans (Levis, Lee, and some house brands). I also like their exercise clothing (Xersion).

by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2020 1:44 AM

I have a Penneys card. If they go belly up, will they write off customers' credit card balances in bankruptcy, or will we have to pay up?

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2020 1:52 AM

R42 They don't actually own the card accounts anymore; Synchrony Bank does. So it doesn't affect them. When HH Gregg went bankrupt, Synchrony turned their card into Synchrony Home. The card is usable at many stores.

by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2020 2:13 AM

HH gregg went bankrupt???

by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2020 3:52 AM

R44 In 2017. Then a company bought their trademarks for a totally unrelated online retailer, which has since opened one store in NJ.

by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2020 3:55 AM

Only Mexicans shop there

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2020 4:01 AM

R46 Maybe it depends on location, where I live they all seemed to shop at Sears. Though, the last one in the area closed right as the pandemic started so maybe they will move to Penney's now.

by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2020 4:11 AM

I didn’t want it to happen but I was raped before the game.

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2020 4:32 AM

?????

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2020 4:39 AM

It was GHASTLY!

by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2020 5:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!