Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

J.C. Penney Files Bankruptcy After Years of Decline

After the executives pumped the stock this morning with news that they made their interest payment, they filed BK after hours. Someone needs to go to jail over this.

Department store giant J.C. Penney Co. filed for bankruptcy, punctuating a slow, arduous decline for the once ubiquitous mainstay of America’s shopping malls.

While the sudden shock of coronavirus-related sales losses ultimately undid the company, J.C. Penney has struggled for years under a multibillion-dollar debt load. Its bankruptcy filing in Houston included $900 million of financing to fund the company through its restructuring, including $450 million of fresh capital.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2020 10:29 PM

Bloomberg link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2020 11:02 PM

I used to order a bunch of tee shirts from them every summer. The material declined annually. Now they’re putting spandex in their tee shirts - for the fatties, I guess.

I miss buying pocket tee shirts at the Gap. They were 100% cotton & in good lots of good colors.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2020 11:08 PM

That's too bad, I still shop there.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2020 11:08 PM

The new JC Penney!

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2020 11:11 PM

Everybody dresses like an Albanian mobster nowadays. Sweat pants, yoga pants, hoodies in black or gray with black sneakers. Pretty hard to make a living selling dresses, blouses, suits and pajamas/robes. Everyone can sleep in their clothes & just put on a different pair of black yoga pants, gray tee shirt & black sneaks in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2020 11:12 PM

There have been "JCPenney declaring bankruptcy and shutting its doors for good!" stories for at least the past 10 years. Like they throw this out every six months so all of the Gen-Xers feel nostalgic about shopping for corduroys and P.E. shorts there. Not to mention the classy family portraits.

Put up or shut up, JC. We miss your catalogs and all, but enough is enough.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2020 11:15 PM

They have never recovered from that Apple Store guy's failed time as CEO. Penney's is one of the retailers that I think will be able to successfully restructure and exit bankruptcy. They have a strong online selling platform.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2020 11:16 PM

We already had a thread on this, you fat whore!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2020 11:16 PM

That too bad. JC Penney has good summer stuff--shorts, Polo-type shirts, underwear, lounge pants for around the house. And great bargains.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2020 11:19 PM

They have never been top of the line but they were dependable for a lot of stuff.

But you could see them going the way of Sears (messy store, no floor help, one register open on the entire floor with ONE cashier.)

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2020 11:20 PM

What R8 said

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2020 11:22 PM

R6 I was gonna say I thought they declared bankruptcy years ago. I can’t keep up. The one in my town closed 3 or 4 years ago and I thought they had shut down all of them.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2020 11:23 PM

JC Penny does that shit where they send an email saying 25% off! And when yiu go to the site it’s 25% off $150, and 30% off $250. I hate that. I also immediately discard any email that says FREE SHIPPING & when you open it it says in tiny letters “free shipping on all orders above $149.”

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2020 11:24 PM

Karen Valentine Casual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 16, 2020 12:27 AM

They have never been top of the line but they were dependable for a lot of stuff.

But you could see them going the way of Sears (messy store, no floor help, one register open on the entire floor with ONE cashier.)

by Anonymousreply 15May 16, 2020 12:27 AM

This is bad news. JC Penney has great bargains and good summer and casual clothes--shorts, shirts, Polo shirts, T-shirts, lounging pants around the house. Cant beat the prices. Hope the store in Fashion Valley San Diego survives.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2020 12:27 AM

I think they will be able to restructure. Though their executives should face fraud charges for how they handled the bankruptcy. There should be a law that says if you are an executive of a company that doesn't turn a profit or goes bankrupt, you only get a small base salary.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2020 12:27 AM

R17 Why did you copy and paste my post R20 from the other thread, without even changing a word?

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2020 12:31 AM

R18 THIS IS THE REAL THREAD DONT YOU DARE POST ANYWHERE ELSE, YOU FAT OLD COCKSUCKER!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2020 12:32 AM

My 87 year old mother will be bereft when I tell her . Shes been a faithful Penneys shopper for 50 years. I liked them as well,but have found the quality in clothing has deteriorated considerably . Its the same old tissue thin made in china crap thats everywhere else now. Ive got 20 year old St. Johns Bay shirts that still look good and I still wear.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2020 12:34 AM

R19 Being called a cocksucker on a gay messageboard isn't much of an insult. Though I'm neither fat nor old.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2020 12:37 AM

R21 YOU SVELTE YOUNG COCKSUCKER!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2020 12:39 AM

R22 Again, everyone on this board is a cocksucker. It would be like going on a church messageboard and trying to use Christian as an insult.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2020 12:42 AM

Shame, but not surprising. I hated going to department stores as a kid (Belk, Dillard’s, and Lord and Taylor, especially) but Penneys was one I could tolerate. I always hoped they’d make it.

Sears was another I liked because I was always allowed to pick out four or five paint chips to bring home. My mom would leave me in the paint section while she shopped, haha.

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2020 12:42 AM

R24 I hope it wasn't lead-based paint.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2020 12:45 AM

r20 Bankruptcy does not mean they're going out of business.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2020 12:54 AM

R23, uh, not me.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2020 12:57 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2020 3:36 AM

Sometimes it's not the store's fault (JC Penny, Macy's, Sears, etc). Sometimes it's the way society has evolved and the way we dress. Nowadays, it's unfortunately easier to to just pick up a pair of shorts and a shirt at Costco while you're getting fat doing you bulk grocery shopping.

JC Penney's isn't bad, but it's another trip to the mall. Who needs a decent summer shirt and slacks at a department store, when you can get the good quality Costco Kirkwood brand shorts, jeans and a windbreaker at the front of the store on your way to the back if the store to buy your 32-ounce, two-pack of peanut butter. No one seems to need to get dressed up any longer even if it's inexpensive outfit from JC Penney when you can get your groceries and something even more casual to wear from Costco?

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2020 4:16 AM

They were one step above Sears and one step below Carson Pirie Scott

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2020 4:25 AM

Costco doesn't have a large enough selection of clothing, to compare. Target or Walmart is more likely where people would get groceries and clothing at the same time. The interesting thing is that is how department stores were originally. Most had grocery departments.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2020 4:26 AM

I w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ stole four or five paint chips to bring home

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2020 4:27 AM

[quote]My mom would leave me in the paint section while she shopped, haha.

But she never got as lucky as me

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2020 4:28 AM

Thank God they paid all the executives their bonuses.

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2020 4:29 AM

Where can you go for moderately/inexpensive-priced clothing. I'm just not spending a fortune on summer clothes. And I don't like Target crap. I guess I can go to Kohl's, which has pretty good stuff at a bargain.

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2020 4:32 AM

R34 The excuse was stupid. They needed to pay the bonuses to ensure the executives stayed on. Since they ran the company into bankruptcy, did they really need to be retained?

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2020 4:32 AM

R2, During a sceance, James Cash Penny said he wanted the change. We know from the net that ALL CAPS are more difficult to read. New York City is changing street signs to Upper and Lower case.

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2020 11:45 AM

I am amazed it is still alive

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2020 11:47 AM

R37 here. Excuse misspelling of Penney. My fingers type too rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2020 11:50 AM

R32 they were free so it wasn’t stealing.

I’m talking about these things. The employees never minded if I took a few

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2020 11:54 AM

Penney's gave me my first credit card in 1972. About a year later, i moved into my first very own apartment and used the card to purchase furnishings for the place.

by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2020 11:59 AM

Penney’s made the disastrous upon ending their catalog service. It was so convenient and easy. The merchandise was affordable quality. Then suddenly, everything tanked.

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2020 12:32 PM

R36. And where were these overpaid, inept executives going to go especially in today's collapse?

by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2020 3:22 PM

Now Sycamore Partners is looking to buy J.C. Penney. The company already owns the major regional department store Belk. In some cities they would have a monopoly. There are many smaller towns and cities in the South where the only two department stores are Belk and Penney's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2020 9:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2020 9:45 PM

If the one in Herald Square closes I'll just die. I really will.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2020 9:55 PM

J C Ha’penney

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2020 10:01 PM

R46 Did it get looted the other night, when Macy's did?

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2020 10:25 PM

Great. NOW where am I going to work the register?

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2020 10:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!