Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do You Double Space After A Period?

My mother still does this. She was a typist. I was looking it up and it says that unless you're typing on a typewriter, double spacing after a period is no longer required. What says you?

by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2020 4:52 AM

I still do it. No offense to anyone here, but some lazy-minded millennial probably decided it "wasn't necessary anymore", when it clearly does make a difference in ease of reading.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2020 8:46 AM

r1...

Forbes not only making the case why it isn't necessary, but why it was done in the first place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2020 8:49 AM

That article in R2 actually points to all the flaws in that study claiming 1 space is enough. It doesn't make the case for why it's not necessary.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2020 9:07 AM

If you look at it from the stand point of a graphic designer it makes a lot of sense. Graphic design is basically words, text pictures arranged on a page to look good and easy to read. Real graphic designers utilize negative space as much as positive space. Bunched up type reads as a block, in fact that's what they call it. But when you put space around things it emphasizes them more. So if you want your reader to pause between sentences, it makes a lot more sense to add a double space than just another character.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2020 9:14 AM

r3, did you read the part about the size of the m on old typewriters?

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2020 11:07 AM

I'm male and don't get periods so it's not relevant.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2020 11:08 AM

Using two spaces tells the world you are over 40. Kind of like how a yahoo.com, aol.com or hotmail.com shows you are old.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2020 11:13 AM

Yes, because I'm a highly educated individual who was taught how to write by some of the masters of the craft. I'm not some silly young fool who thinks it's cute to change something that has been standard for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2020 11:17 AM

There are some who feel it's no longer necessary to leave a space after a comma.

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2020 11:22 AM

Personally, I always use four spaces.

by Anonymousreply 10April 24, 2020 11:25 AM

Since it's not the 60s and I'm not using a manual typewriter, no, I do not do this.

by Anonymousreply 11April 24, 2020 11:28 AM

Changes in the way word processing places and displays lettering is what caused the change - not "some dumb millennial." I'm not a millennial by any stretch but I also recognize when minor technological changes make sense. Trying to compare actual typography from the past as a 1:1 comparison to digital word processing really doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 12April 24, 2020 11:33 AM

I still do it. It’s how I learned, and it looks better.

If it makes me look old, that’s fine. I’m not trying to deceive anyone. *shrugs*

by Anonymousreply 13April 24, 2020 11:35 AM

Are the people who say it's unnecessary the same people who cannot read and write in cursive?

by Anonymousreply 14April 24, 2020 11:41 AM

I love that we have serious discussions about the topics such as this one while staring at the face of a dangerous global pandemic. And I don't mean it in a sarcastic way.

by Anonymousreply 15April 24, 2020 11:44 AM

Call me old fashioned but yes !

by Anonymousreply 16April 24, 2020 11:51 AM

When I took keyboarding (what they call typing nowadays) we were taught one space.

by Anonymousreply 17April 24, 2020 12:06 PM

We just covered this topic in November 2019 and you don't want to know what I do after a period.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 24, 2020 12:08 PM

[quote] There are some who feel it's no longer necessary to leave a space after a comma.

When I come to power those people will be euthanized.

by Anonymousreply 19April 24, 2020 12:45 PM

I'm so ancient, I didn't learn to type until computers (I'd always had secretaries). It's always been one space for me. So don't give me this "also can't read cursive" chazerai.

Oddly, I have an early-millennial friend who insists on double-spacing.

by Anonymousreply 20April 24, 2020 12:56 PM

Those who write run-on sentences are probably wondering what the fuss is all about.

by Anonymousreply 21April 24, 2020 1:00 PM

Thanks to Covid-19 and our masked society, it is no longer necessary to double space around me before, during, and after my period.

by Anonymousreply 22April 24, 2020 1:00 PM

It looks better.

May as well start making the argument that we should always write ‘ U ‘ instead of ‘ you ‘ - because why use three letters ?

by Anonymousreply 24April 24, 2020 2:31 PM

. . . . .

by Anonymousreply 25April 24, 2020 2:39 PM

Two spaces give the eyes a millisecond to rest. With shortened attention spans, anything that encourages literacy is needed!

by Anonymousreply 26April 24, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote]Some lazy-minded millennial probably decided it "wasn't necessary anymore"

No, modern fonts eliminated the need for a double-space, as they automatically adjust the kerning.

by Anonymousreply 27April 24, 2020 5:56 PM

two spaces makes the sentences easier to read

by Anonymousreply 28April 24, 2020 7:01 PM

When I took typing in HS, it was definitely two spaces after the period. It took me a while to unlearn it, but I only use one now; in thinking back, it does seem pretty unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 29April 24, 2020 10:42 PM

When I type emails or documents for work there is a visual difference between one space and two spaces after periods. I continue to put two spaces because it looks better.

by Anonymousreply 30April 24, 2020 10:44 PM

One of my journalism professors would take off five points a paper for every time we didn't double-space. Lots of students received a B grade in a course instead of an A they would have gotten otherwise, solely because they made too many double-space mistakes.

This woman was a hard-core reporter when female reporters in the 50s were not taken seriously. She could spit nails. She also added bourbon to the coffee cup she refilled between classes. You wanted to take her classes in the mornings...

by Anonymousreply 31April 24, 2020 11:11 PM

... So I have a generalized fear of single-spacing.

by Anonymousreply 32April 24, 2020 11:13 PM

There is a simple reason for the change. In the days of typewriters all characters were created equal -The space that was created between typed characters was always the same, while the size of the letter (in width) was wildly different. Compare an M and a . and you see it clearly. The convention of double-spacing after a period was done to create a slight separation after that end punctuation, just as people did when writing by hand. Cut to the computer age. Now the space of every character is unique. When you type a period there is no space before or after it. Except that the machine is smart enough (rather, the programmers were) to know that human eyes prefer extra space between sentences, so the machine creates it automatically -And that extra space is different, depending on the character that follows the period. On a computer, typing two spaces after an end mark makes text look ragged. People can type as they like, of course, but if you're in school you can expect to have points deducted for not adhering to what is considered correct style (both MLA and APA).

For the record, I am most definitely an eldergay, but I keep up with the times.

by Anonymousreply 33April 25, 2020 3:37 AM

[quote]No, modern fonts eliminated the need for a double-space, as they automatically adjust the kerning.

Actually that is incorrect. You assuming everyone is using MS Word or similar program, but not all programs do that. Don't believe me? Start a new *.txt file on your desktop on any Windows PC. Type one space and you only get one space. There is no automatic formatting or kerning. Some lazy-minded millennial cant think outside his "do it for me" button.

by Anonymousreply 34April 25, 2020 3:51 AM

MS Word is now marking two spaces after a period as an error.

I used to use two but have tried to get in the habit of using just one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 25, 2020 3:51 AM

Nitwit R35, Microsoft word is not a TXT file. Go back to school and come back when you learn the difference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 25, 2020 4:01 AM

We just had this topic not long ago...🙄

by Anonymousreply 37April 25, 2020 4:04 AM

I meant it IS 2 spaces after a period.

by Anonymousreply 38April 25, 2020 4:05 AM

R36. I didn’t say it was a text file. You are strangely hostile regarding punctuation.

by Anonymousreply 39April 25, 2020 4:31 AM

PLUG IT UP PLUG IT UP PLUG IT UP

by Anonymousreply 40April 25, 2020 4:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!