Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Travel to Europe this summer?

I want to get out of this hell hole that will be NYC in July and go to Germany. How likely is it that I’d be able to go? Will they continue blocking travelers from other countries, specifically the US?

by Anonymousreply 371September 2, 2020 2:27 PM

At the rate things are going, I wouldn't bank on it, OP

by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2020 12:03 AM

Why Germany? If you are expecting free health care, check your eligibility.

by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2020 12:04 AM

I wouldn’t plan on it. Why not stay in the US and go to one of the less-impacted areas? Seattle or San Francisco?

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2020 12:04 AM

You travel in the US, make sure you don't get to your destination and find yourself subject to an executive order to self-isolate for 14 days with your hosts (yeah, the hosts have to stay in with you, for having given you a bedroom). NYC folk are esp the target of this kind of order. I didn't know that Seattle was less-impacted...

by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote]Why Germany?

I second this. Deutschland ist langweilig

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2020 12:15 AM

Maybe OP is the scat troll r5

by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2020 12:20 AM

They may not want Americans to visit this summer.

by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2020 12:20 AM

Some Americans may be welcome, but not from the USA.

by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2020 12:23 AM

[quote]Maybe OP is the scat troll [R5]

yes, that must be it...he's a scatman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2020 12:24 AM

They dont want dirty filthy infected Americans from NYC OP. Give it up, you are a pariah, stay in your own cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2020 12:27 AM

OP at this stage you may need a visa to go to Germany; you may get a visa if you agree to undergo medical experiments in Germany. Check you with the local consulate.

by Anonymousreply 11April 19, 2020 12:31 AM

For the last few weeks, European leaders have been telling people don't plan on traveling this summer. While American might try and 'get back to normal,' Europe (and Canada) will likely remain under fairly strict social distancing and no unnecessary travel until a vaccine is found or the viral spread basically stops.

by Anonymousreply 12April 19, 2020 12:33 AM

[quote]you may get a visa if you agree to undergo medical experiments in Germany.

like...Dr. Mengele style?

by Anonymousreply 13April 19, 2020 12:34 AM

Germany is one of the countries which appears to have mastered this crisis. You can't go there OP except as a dirty New Yorker for them to experiment on within the ethics of 21st century research.

by Anonymousreply 14April 19, 2020 12:38 AM

Please don't come to south Florida, we already have enough of you blowhards here already.

by Anonymousreply 15April 19, 2020 12:43 AM

Nope. The way that Americans are acting up during lockdown is not going over well in Europe at all, don't be surprised if Americans are banned from Europe until a vaccine is found.

by Anonymousreply 16April 19, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote]Please don't come to south Florida, we already have enough of you blowhards here already

Teri Johnston, is that you?

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2020 12:46 AM

[quote]The way that Americans are acting up during lockdown is not going over well in Europe at all

Americans aren’t into fascism the way Germans are.

by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2020 12:51 AM

European farmers are currently figuring out how to import their eastern european slave (migrant) labor field pictures for the harvests through the summer.

OP - you can probably pretend to be a slave worker and go to any European country you wish, but you'll need to work in the fields.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2020 12:53 AM

Teri Johnston says Iowans can come to stay in Key West. Germany says that Key West residents are welcome. So OP, go to Germany via Key West, if you can make it from NYC to Iowa - you'd better hurry.

by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2020 12:53 AM

pickers. not pictures sheesh

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2020 12:54 AM

[quote] Americans aren’t into fascism the way Germans are.

If you mean US persons by 'Americans' check out the MAGA fucks who would rather die for Trump.

It may be that the virus will take out a lot of the Trump base.

by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2020 12:57 AM

I'd count Europe out this summer.

Even if they open up, which they haven't yet, they will probably restrict foreigners to some degree.

Businesses and attractions may not be up and running @ 100%.

You may have to comply with all sorts of rules and regulations that you'll never figure out like getting a Ferglüfshääfen from the municipal Eickendamfortenmëyër.

Not to mention your airline will cancel or reroute your trip at the last minute (speaking from personal experience this week).

Just #stayhome

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2020 12:58 AM

If they suspect you're American they will stone you to death on the street.

If you insist on going, try to blend in by wearing a lederhosen at all times.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2020 12:59 AM

There is no escape OP. I recommend you go to your death in your MAGA hat.

Trump regards all this as a massive real estate opportunity: so many dead; prices will fall; I will buy up; Ivanka my whore will enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2020 1:00 AM

Europe won't let Americans in. You're living in the number one infected country. You should spaz off to the Maldives instead. They're not worried about the virus because temps there always stay at 26c and above, even at night.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2020 1:01 AM

You would be better off going somewhere like Guatemala or Chile.

by Anonymousreply 27April 19, 2020 1:03 AM

[quote] 26c and above

Doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2020 1:04 AM

Does "Cold Day In Hell" strike a chord with you?

by Anonymousreply 29April 19, 2020 1:14 AM

OP why Germany?

by Anonymousreply 30April 19, 2020 1:19 AM

I'm going to Bangkok and Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 31April 19, 2020 1:20 AM

Good luck R31, you ain't goin' nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 32April 19, 2020 1:22 AM

[quote]OP why Germany?

because of Lili Marlene

by Anonymousreply 33April 19, 2020 1:23 AM

Go to Greece. It needs the tourists, and it made it through the virus relatively well.

by Anonymousreply 34April 19, 2020 1:25 AM

There are very few flights now or in the future. Remember that they don't want health tourists on their national healh systems in Europe. Pick you country carefully, they have different healh systems. You could be looked after then detained until you pay; you have no idea OP.

by Anonymousreply 35April 19, 2020 1:37 AM

We are landing Greece in July ..we are going

by Anonymousreply 36April 19, 2020 2:19 AM

Planning^^

by Anonymousreply 37April 19, 2020 2:19 AM

you're leaving? on a jet plane?

by Anonymousreply 38April 19, 2020 2:22 AM

OK, thanks for responses. I like Germany a lot, was in Munich, Berlin and Hamburg in October then went to Cologne in Devember. I guess the summer is a no go. I should think maybe later in the fall is a better bet. They’ll need at least some tourists to spend euros, right? And maybe by then we’ll be able to get so e kind of Immunity Passport. I recovered from Covid last month.

by Anonymousreply 39April 19, 2020 2:24 AM

All the idiot Americans on here thinking any country within the EU will let them in is hilarious. You can demand and scream all you like sweetheart it ain't happening and running to Trump won't get anything done either. Not even the Mexicans are letting you in anymore.

by Anonymousreply 40April 19, 2020 2:43 AM

[quote]Europe won't let Americans in. You're living in the number one infected country.

That's not true.

Furthermore: in a country like Italy, tourism is huge part of the GDP. They'll be doing all they can to get Americans back in. Granted, it's not going to happen soon but they'll be looking for a way.

by Anonymousreply 41April 19, 2020 2:53 AM

Americans should boycott any country later on that doesn't let us in this year. They'll be begging for tourists later.

by Anonymousreply 42April 19, 2020 2:57 AM

I would forget about travel for now.

by Anonymousreply 43April 19, 2020 2:59 AM

Maybe, but not you r42.

by Anonymousreply 44April 19, 2020 4:17 AM

I expect Europe to be open by July. I’m surprised how many don’t think it will be. Tourism is a much bigger portion of the economy in much of Europe than the US. And China and the US are the biggest component of tourism. Hotels are taking reservations. I think it will definitely be open - with some restrictions. Amsterdam is already starting socially distant service training for restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 45April 19, 2020 4:54 AM

I am planning on visiting Paris in June to visit my parents. My parents don't want me to go because they think it's still dangerous there.

I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 46April 19, 2020 5:03 AM

(R46 here) I forgot to add that I already bought the tickets.

by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2020 5:04 AM

[QUOTE]Amsterdam is already starting socially distant service training for restaurants.

I heard that, if the tourist are from China, they plan on gathering all of them in an enclosed space and, from a safe distance, waiters will throw the food directly at their mouths, much like trainers do with seals at Seaworld.

by Anonymousreply 48April 19, 2020 5:05 AM

R46 France is currently closed to your average traveler.

Besides waiting to see if that changes, wait to see if your airline keeps your current itinerary. Most airlines already know they'll cancel most international routes due to reduced demand. They'll hope you cancel before they do so they can rope you in with a credit rather than a refund.

by Anonymousreply 49April 19, 2020 5:28 AM

R46 You may be putting your parents at risk if you go.

by Anonymousreply 50April 19, 2020 1:03 PM

This is what we're in for

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 19, 2020 1:49 PM

R49 is right. I waited to cancel my flight 2 weeks ago. Airline held out until day before - then cancelled. So I was able to get cash refund instead of a credit,

by Anonymousreply 52April 19, 2020 4:05 PM

Both the Oberammergau Passion play (which only happens every 10 years) and The Bayeuth Festival have been cancelled. Germany is *not* fucking around. You will not be visiting Germany this summer.

by Anonymousreply 53April 19, 2020 4:14 PM

Tourism? Now? This year? Next year?

No.

Stay the fuck home. I don't care where you're from.

Read your past Instagram feed and admire all those shots of your fucking hideous feet on a beach with "Much-needed vacay to (put-tropical-shithole-here)!"

by Anonymousreply 54April 19, 2020 4:34 PM

[quote]Both the Oberammergau Passion play (which only happens every 10 years) and The Bayeuth Festival have been cancelled. Germany is *not* fucking around. You will not be visiting Germany this summer.

What are all the filthy sex pigs in Berlin doing to get through this difficult period?

by Anonymousreply 55April 19, 2020 5:02 PM

There will be no "waiting until fall to travel" - as the temperature drops, Covid 19 will return with a vengeance.

Many experts say it will be cyclical, until a very effective vaccine is developed (one that is far more effective than the typical yearly flu vaccine)

by Anonymousreply 56April 19, 2020 5:35 PM

There is no way they are eliminating all tourism this year. I will guarantee there will be tourist cities open this summer. May require masks and social centers/bars may be closed - but too many jobs in certain cities are dependent on it. Some cities lost more than 1/2 their jobs - the ONLY way those jobs come back is with tourism.

by Anonymousreply 57April 19, 2020 5:47 PM

Caving, in China

by Anonymousreply 58April 19, 2020 6:08 PM

I had a similar question- i want to go to the UK this summer And present hole to hung uncut brits.

by Anonymousreply 59April 19, 2020 6:24 PM

Absolutely no chance Europe will open its borders to Americans. The way your government and some of the population are acting, you won't be welcome anywhere for a long time. Things are going to get a lot worse before they start getting better. You're insane if you think this'll all be over in a month or two.

by Anonymousreply 60April 19, 2020 6:31 PM

From New York City??? No one wants right now. In upstate New York we would throw rocks at you and order you to leave. Europe won't even let you board the plane at JFK.

YOU A PARIAH, GURRL!

by Anonymousreply 61April 19, 2020 6:41 PM

What about dual citizens who live in the US?

by Anonymousreply 62April 19, 2020 6:43 PM

If you are a dual citizen in a European country, you are allowed to return but must remain in strict quarantine for 14 days. You may be placed in a quarantine center, which could be on a military base or hotel. That would not be a fun vacation.

by Anonymousreply 63April 19, 2020 6:46 PM

I should also mention that Deutsche Post has suspend most mail service to the USA. Not quite sure why they are worried about packages *leaving* the country, but it gives you an idea of how the USA is perceived.

by Anonymousreply 64April 19, 2020 7:08 PM

R64 Ok Rolf

"I was born in Dusseldorf und that is why they call me Rolf."

It's not like we are all on edge waiting for our packages from Deutschland.

by Anonymousreply 65April 19, 2020 7:49 PM

And Rolf, I am certain you have every idea as to how Americans have - and still do - view the Fatherland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 19, 2020 7:52 PM

OP here. Munich is such a gorgeous city. I hope to get back there. I’m assuming Oktoberfest will be kaput, though. And there’s an incredible sauna in the city center that’s probably kaput, too.

by Anonymousreply 67April 19, 2020 9:04 PM

I’ve booked a Rhine river cruise for October. That’s almost six months from now and all indicators are things will be back to normal in tourist areas.

It appears that all 2020 bookings of the large cruise ships are cancelled, but the smaller river cruises are booking beginning from late this summer.

If I have to cancel, I will... but the deal I got offered for the German cruise was just too good to turn down.

by Anonymousreply 68April 19, 2020 9:19 PM

I want to go to Italy. Figured the horrible masses of tourists would be gone. Seriously. Sort of.

by Anonymousreply 69April 19, 2020 9:21 PM

I think you should go, R69. Look, if the entire world is not back to near normalcy in SIX MONTHS, there’s no coming back from this. World economies will be destroyed and there’s no way that will be allowed to happen.

Travel will probably be a little more complex with new TSA and Customs rules (temperature taking, mask wearing, etc.) but that’s fine with me. Actually late summer or early Fall will probably be fantastic with less crowds and bargain prices.

by Anonymousreply 70April 19, 2020 9:28 PM

"all indicators are things will be back to normal in tourist areas...."

Please cite the indicators R68. Also curious about your intimation that non-tourist ateas will not be back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 71April 19, 2020 9:32 PM

"all indicators are things will be back to normal in tourist areas...."

Please cite the indicators R68. Also curious about your intimation that non-tourist ateas will not be back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 72April 19, 2020 9:32 PM

Hi R72, Indicators meaning that travel agents, hotels, airlines, cruises, credit card companies, AirB&B’s, etc., etc. (ie. huge, savvy, sophisticated, knowledgeable businesses) are all beginning to accept bookings for several months out with the expectation that the worst will be over. And if not, you cancel.

I said that tourist areas will probably be back to normal... because tourist areas are where tourists go... and my post was about tourism. And, yes, I think everything (at least in the U.S. and most of Europe) will be back up and running in six months or much substantially less.

by Anonymousreply 73April 19, 2020 9:53 PM

Meant.. substantially much less.

by Anonymousreply 74April 19, 2020 9:55 PM

Sweden is open.

by Anonymousreply 75April 19, 2020 10:02 PM

I just want to get the hell of out of America .....

by Anonymousreply 76April 19, 2020 10:03 PM

We won’t have a vaccine by then. I suppose that if you had antibody testing, and could prove that you’ve already had it, they may let you visit. If you haven’t had it, you would have to be an idiot to get on a plane, go to restaurants, and tourist spots surrounded by hordes of people.

by Anonymousreply 77April 19, 2020 10:09 PM

Remember that the imposed quarantines were not really to keep people from getting the virus, although that was a side benefit. The quarantine was to slow down the transmission so that hospitals would not be overwhelmed and cause huge numbers of deaths. Generally, that has been successful.

You are correct that there will be no vaccine for Covid-19 in the foreseeable future. Personally, I’m hoping that research will show antibody immunity to the virus once someone’s had it (ie. Herd Immunity) and so, like any other virus, it will effect fewer and fewer people and will fade away.

But I still think we will be back to normal way sooner than people think.

by Anonymousreply 78April 19, 2020 10:27 PM

I don't understand how places like museums, zoos, etc. will be able to stay afloat if they are forced to remain closed for a year or more. I wonder they could have some kind of ticket lottery that just allows in a very limited number of people in a particular window of time. Make mask wearing mandatory and enforce the social distancing. We can only do so much. I don't want to get sick, but there comes a tipping point where all the joy in life is going to be completely gone if people aren't allowed to ever get a break from the tedium of staying home. I can only imagine how tough it must be for people stuck with family or roommates they don't like.

by Anonymousreply 79April 19, 2020 10:36 PM

Since New Yorkers have proclaimed that they live in the greatest city in the world and that they wouldn't consider going anywhere else, it's working out nicely for you, since nowhere else in the world wants you.

by Anonymousreply 80April 19, 2020 10:41 PM

R79, I think you are missing he point. Museums, etc., can be open. The issue is allowing people in from other countries, particularly countries whose handling of the situation has been, to put it kindly, spotty.

by Anonymousreply 81April 19, 2020 10:41 PM

Yes R81, that includes half of the world.

I doubt tourists from anywhere are going to be rushing in to the Fatherland in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 82April 19, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]The issue is allowing people in from other countries, particularly countries whose handling of the situation has been, to put it kindly, spotty.

Well in that case, half of Europe won't be allowed to travel anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 83April 19, 2020 10:59 PM

Lots of unrealistic, frightened opinions here. I’ll say it again... there is no way the world can or will be shut down for another six months. If that were to happen, we’d enter a second Dark Ages. There would be no coming back from that. Humanity would be in far worse shape than if we had let simply let Covid-19 run unabated.

Regarding the virus, with hospitals no longer severely overloaded, herd immunity will kick in just like it does for every other virus that has attacked the world. And, in 2021 there will be an immunization. And within two years, this whole thing will nearly forgotten.

Anyhow, I’m looking forward to my Rhine cruise in October.

by Anonymousreply 84April 19, 2020 11:12 PM

Wow, R84. Herd immunity for every virus that has attacked the world.

And all those silly people paying for PrEP. The joke's on them!

by Anonymousreply 85April 19, 2020 11:20 PM

HIV infection can be easily prevented by using condoms.

by Anonymousreply 86April 19, 2020 11:22 PM

Exactly, R86.

And if we hadn’t developed herd immunity for the thousands of air-borne viruses over millennia, we’d all be living in underground caves, or not be here at all.

by Anonymousreply 87April 19, 2020 11:38 PM

Good luck, OP.

Too many uncertainties and too many things that have to align to have any confidence that your plans might come about. European countries are extending their kock-downs two weeks at a time and not making/announcing any plans beyond that.

The best you can probably hope for is to arrange a relatively last minute trip if things improve significantly.

by Anonymousreply 88April 19, 2020 11:54 PM

Thanks, R88. I do think it will come to that.

by Anonymousreply 89April 20, 2020 12:01 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 20, 2020 1:45 AM

The UK is stupid R90 but you are just as stupid with your asshole link: I assume its to the Fail again; said Fail does not like links so include videos in all their articles; links to said articles go straight to the vid. You should know that by now.

by Anonymousreply 91April 20, 2020 1:50 AM

We just canceled our July cruise -- two weeks in the north Atlantic (Iceland and Greenland) and North Sea (Norway, Netherlands, Ireland, and the UK) -- for a full refund of the deposit. Monday is the last day to cancel without penalty. I tried negotiating with the company about extending the cancellation date, given current conditions, but they did not budge. So I cancelled. Which sucks, since I have planned this almost two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 92April 20, 2020 1:52 AM

Sorry to hear that. I think July is a bit too soon to expect things near normal

by Anonymousreply 93April 20, 2020 1:57 AM

Ireland is not in the North Sea. Just as well you canceled R92, you wouldn't have appreciated it. Find a B&B in Montana if you want north as I doubt the Canucks will let you in.

by Anonymousreply 94April 20, 2020 1:57 AM

[QUOTE] We just canceled our July cruise -- two weeks in the north Atlantic (Iceland and Greenland) and North Sea (Norway, Netherlands, Ireland, and the UK) -- for a full refund of the

Chilly! You should try the Greek islands instead.

by Anonymousreply 95April 20, 2020 9:03 AM

Enjoy your 14 day stay in a shitty euro second rate airport hotel under real lock down as you are forced to wait until you pass inspection from ground zero of the most infected country in the world.

by Anonymousreply 96April 20, 2020 9:12 AM

Had a family trip to Italy planned for June but will likely vacation instead somewhere in the USA. I love how the airlines are promoting their no-change-fee policies like they’re doing travelers a fucking favor while holding on to our money.

by Anonymousreply 97April 20, 2020 12:17 PM

R97 wait until the last minute to cancel your airline reservation if you can. 98% chance your airline will cancel your itinerary as no one will be going to Italy any time soon.

They're banking on people buying all the hysteria and cancelling early on their own.

by Anonymousreply 98April 20, 2020 4:11 PM

[quote]Enjoy your 14 day stay in a shitty euro second rate airport hotel under real lock down as you are forced to wait until you pass inspection from ground zero of the most infected country in the world.

The US is not the most infected country in the world.

by Anonymousreply 99April 20, 2020 4:32 PM

Yes, it is for fuck's sake! It has 800k cases! The next most infected is only 200k.

by Anonymousreply 100April 21, 2020 2:03 AM

R96 doesn't understand epidemiologic terms such as prevalence, attack rate, case fatality rate, incidence rate, etc.

by Anonymousreply 101April 21, 2020 2:12 AM

[R100} doesn't seem to understand per capita rates either.

by Anonymousreply 102April 21, 2020 2:43 AM

R100 Are you really that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 103April 21, 2020 2:47 AM

The US has 1/3 the number of deaths of Italy. Cases dont matter - testing is wholly inconsistent between countries.

The US will likely get close to the Italy rate of deaths per capita. But I still don’t see why Europe would ban the US and China from visiting - if they allow Italians across the border.

by Anonymousreply 104April 21, 2020 3:48 AM

[quote][[R100]} doesn't seem to understand per capita rates either.

R102 doesn't understand no one said Per Capita. Original post said "US has the most cases." which is true. If you want to say based on percentage then that's a different story.

by Anonymousreply 105April 21, 2020 3:59 AM

Octoberfest is cancelled. So much for the notion that Germany, if not Europe, will put tourism over health and safety.

by Anonymousreply 106April 21, 2020 11:27 AM

R106, Oktoberfest is one of the worst international clusterfucks on earth. I was there on its final night last year and left almost as soon as I arrived because the crowds were getting to be too much to handle. You can’t use it as a way to determine how Germany will deal with tourism at this time. I do think I’ll be able to go sometime in the fall. I’ve recovered from the virus so I’m hoping some sort of immunity certificate will help with that.

by Anonymousreply 107April 21, 2020 5:36 PM

[quote] some sort of immunity certificate will help with that.

I'm confident you can buy one on the internet. But past that, where do you propose to get such a thing? The studies and testing have not been done to understand what, if any, kind of immunity may follow an infection.

We are a long, long way from understanding immunity to Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 108April 21, 2020 6:19 PM

Pay attention, R108. Discussions of immunity certificates (or passports, as the Germans call them) are everywhere in the media. I first read about them in the NY Times a few weeks ago and there was concern it would create two classes of citizens-those who have them and those who don’t.. Those that have them can go out to work and also travel. And I don’t expect to get one immediately and maybe not until the fall.

by Anonymousreply 109April 21, 2020 7:46 PM

That's fine, if you want a fraudulent document foolishly issued by a government. We don't know much about immunity to Covid-19. We have no way to certify that a person has immunity to it. We can make shit up, though, I suppose.

Don't look for an immunity certificate until we know what the hell to look for to determine if a person has immunity. It's still a just a concept.

by Anonymousreply 110April 21, 2020 8:00 PM

Just for you, R108...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 21, 2020 8:01 PM

Thank you. I know all this. If you read your own link carefully, everything is couched as something that is being talked about and discussed for some time in the future. Except Germany. And there is no a word in your article to explain that anomaly.

The point remains, the scientific community does not know much about immunity to Covid-19. Until they do, there is nothing to certify. Ergo, don't look for this plan to take shape in time to save your summer travel plans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 21, 2020 8:12 PM

Well, the Brits are definitely looking into “immunity passports.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 4, 2020 4:07 AM

No, OP, nobody with any sense is traveling to Europe this summer.

by Anonymousreply 114May 4, 2020 4:20 AM

Americans want to come back here?

Oh, no, we're still way too sick...cough...cough...

by Anonymousreply 115May 4, 2020 4:38 AM

Germany seems like a great place to spend time during this pandemic. If you have health insurance, you will likely survive an infection since they have amazing health care and a very low number of deaths compared to other countries. I also read that they have sent patients from Italy, France, the Netherlands for treatment to Germany and those were lucky and had a much better chance to survive in Germany than their home countries.

Austria also had a very low infection rate and death rate although Italy is their neighbor. Like South Korea, they closed everything very early and had a strict lockdown for several weeks. Island does A LOT if testing.

So Germany, Austria, South Korea and Island are currently good pandemic summer destinations. Stay away from the UK and Spain this summer.

by Anonymousreply 116May 4, 2020 4:51 AM

Island? Do you mean Ireland?

by Anonymousreply 117May 4, 2020 5:07 AM

^Iceland. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 118May 4, 2020 5:29 AM

Ah. Thanks, R118, I should have guessed.

by Anonymousreply 119May 4, 2020 5:43 AM

I'll be heading off to Kefalonia. No cold ass northern European countries for me.

by Anonymousreply 120May 4, 2020 9:30 AM

Still planning on Greece in July

by Anonymousreply 121May 4, 2020 10:30 AM

i go to iland in yourope, and nambia in afrika

by Anonymousreply 122May 4, 2020 10:47 AM

I was looking at Serbia/Kosovo/North Macedonia in August. Skopje and Prishtina are already cheap, but because of the crisis they might be practically free. Being in the comfort of the Balkans is the perfect antidote to lift my spirits.

by Anonymousreply 123May 4, 2020 10:51 AM

Maaaybe, OP. Fall might be better, though. Travel is still of the table through mid-June at least. Then there's summer heat. Last summer was pretty fucking hot and AC is fairly uncommon unless you stay at a fancier chain hotel.

But if you just want to fuck your way through Berlin, that may not be an issue for you.

by Anonymousreply 124May 4, 2020 11:06 AM

European borders will probably remain closed until September.

But what about Europeans flying to the United States? Has Trump lifted his ban? I imagine foreign students will have to get into the country somehow once the the classes start in August/September.

by Anonymousreply 125May 4, 2020 11:08 AM

During Greece's financial crisis, I remember hotel owners were begging guests to ask their friends and families to come visit because hardly any tourists were visiting and cost of living was still high in Greece without much assistance from the federal government. I wonder how they are doing now that NO guests will visit for the next few months.

All hotels and restaurants in Spain are also closed for the foreseeable future. I read that millions of people are currently out of work and income and many haven't received any assistance from the government. Will there be any hotels and travel agencies left when this is over? Even when everyone is allowed to travel in a couple of months, how many will actually risk losing money or getting infected? It could easily take a year or more till people feel safe to go on vacation again.

by Anonymousreply 126May 4, 2020 12:20 PM

Greece is aiming for July, or so I have read in various articles in the last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 4, 2020 12:24 PM

I would go to Spain. It's my favorite country and I'm so sad for what has happened this there year. I would go and spend as much money as I could afford. If I got sick and died there, so be it. Just bury me in Spain and that would be a fine way to end things.

by Anonymousreply 128May 4, 2020 12:28 PM

i, too , am really itching to travel as well but i don’t see it realistically happening till next year.

about the antibody testing-is it really reliable? if i’m positive - does that mean i can’t get infected anymore and that i can’t infect others as well? i think the test result should be stamped in your passport . maybe that would be the new normal till we get a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 129May 4, 2020 12:48 PM

The Italians are not counting on immunity passports

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 4, 2020 12:56 PM

My sister is still hoping to make her Paris trip late September. And as soon as everything is in order I am going too, as I had to cancel my three city jaunt which was to commence this Sunday, sob.

by Anonymousreply 131May 4, 2020 2:53 PM

R131 I think mid/late September should be fine. Wasn't the Roland Garros tournament moved to 20 September or something?

by Anonymousreply 132May 4, 2020 3:02 PM

Italy and Spain may be completely shut down for the remainder of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 4, 2020 5:34 PM

R133 the Italian government just debunked that myth. They are not closing their borders to tourists this year. On the contrary, they are currently working on a plan to revive tourism this summer.

by Anonymousreply 134May 4, 2020 6:36 PM

But aren't they calling for the 2nd wave in late September or October?

by Anonymousreply 135May 4, 2020 7:04 PM

Give me Beer Blasts in Benidorm or Give Me Death!

by Anonymousreply 136May 4, 2020 7:08 PM

I'm booked on a gay cruise in July that has mostly stops in Spain. Does anyone think I should still go or should I cancel. I'm not sure it's worth traveling to Europe if I have to wear a face mask ALL DAY EVERY DAY for almost TWO WEEKS.

by Anonymousreply 137May 4, 2020 7:55 PM

R137 that ship is not going to sail, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 138May 4, 2020 8:42 PM

R129, I’m counting on this test to get me over to Germany in August. It looks to be the real deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 5, 2020 9:12 PM

More tourist industry speculations

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 6, 2020 2:48 PM

Our flight to from DC to Paris on July 1 was just canceled. Athens was our final destination but then the Peloponnese.

by Anonymousreply 141May 6, 2020 4:05 PM

We had Spain planned for August and September and as optimistic as I'd like to be, I think 2021 is far more realistic.

So much of the equation is what airlines will do. R141 is rare in that his or her airline cancelled so early. Most airlines are well aware of the legs they plan to cancel. You may think your trip (or possible trip) is safe but they probably know they're going to cancel on you but take your money anyway.

by Anonymousreply 142May 11, 2020 8:12 PM

They're still mandating a 14 day quarantine in France until mid-July.

by Anonymousreply 143May 12, 2020 12:10 PM

Spain will have a 14-day quarantine for people coming into the country from 15 May (no end date noted.)

Quotes from El Mundo; link from El Pais.

[quote]All people from abroad who come to Spain from Friday will have to keep a 14-day quarantine and can only leave to make the purchase or to the pharmacy, according to the Official State Gazette published on Tuesday.

[quote]"People from abroad must quarantine the 14 days following their arrival," states the order of the Ministry of Health, which comes into force at 00:00 on May 15 .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 12, 2020 12:22 PM

Ouch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145May 12, 2020 3:14 PM

So wouldn’t the UK be lumped in with the US, then? They picked a bad time to leave the EU.

by Anonymousreply 146May 12, 2020 3:18 PM

Do you think Travel to London is dead in the water for Late August /September? Not sure if rebooking for January is better or worse?

by Anonymousreply 147May 12, 2020 3:19 PM

R147 September should be fine, hopefully. Let's see how the lack of social distancing works in the summer when everyone will be out and about. Still, I cancelled my trip to Spain this year, just to be on the safe side.

I have a business/pleasure trip to NYC (from Europe) scheduled for September. Am I fucked? Should I reschedule?

by Anonymousreply 148May 12, 2020 3:38 PM

No, R148. Perhaps you can go on a tour of Hart's Island, and check out the new mass graves. I would also recommend a tour of the refridgerated trucks where bodies are being stored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149May 12, 2020 3:51 PM

R148 I think it could be a go but it won’t be carefree (masks, limited dining options etc is my assumption) I would be hesitant to partake in public transport. Please check the museum sites many are posting their re-opening plans in the next couple of weeks. Theater will likely remain closed. June 1 seems to be the magic date for institutions to relay their plans for summer onward. I live in a suburb of NYC and if in Sept if we are required to wear masks but outbreaks are scarce, I would venture in to the city.

by Anonymousreply 150May 12, 2020 3:53 PM

Theaters closed in NY through September 6th, most likely longer than that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151May 12, 2020 5:04 PM

NYC will most likely experience a second wave of cases once things are opened more, as it is the world's Covid 19 epicenter.. It is the most densely populated area in the country. Maybe check if you have antibodies before you head over. Doesn't seem right if you were to come here, get sick, and take away medical resources from city residents, who are already struggling.

by Anonymousreply 152May 12, 2020 5:39 PM

I think the EU, under extreme pressure, will alter their exclusion of American tourists. Maybe just limit entry only to those who can prove they’ve built up antibodies? In recent days it’s been confirmed that with this virus antibodies can be built up and provide some immunity.

by Anonymousreply 153May 12, 2020 6:33 PM

[quote]Maybe check if you have antibodies before you head over. Doesn't seem right if you were to come here, get sick, and take away medical resources from city residents, who are already struggling.

I think UK travellers use travel insurance for 75% of international trips, whereas for Americans it's just under 40%. (Don't see a source offhand that shows both stats together, but supports my personal observations that Europeans are much more inclined to insure travel.) People get stuck away from their home country in unusual emergencies—Americans too. It sounds a bit Trumpian to blame foreign influences for everything.

by Anonymousreply 154May 12, 2020 6:36 PM

R154 I suppose you did not see the tent set up in Central Park nor the long lines outside NYC hospitals of people infected with Covid 19. It is not a matter of payment, but that with a second wave, the epicenter of the world's Covid crisis just may need ALL their hospital beds for sick residents. Why add to the burden of an already-crushed system? Seems selfish.

Travelling to the epicenter of the Covid crisis and getting Covid is not an "unusual emergency" - it is to be expected if you are out and about.

by Anonymousreply 155May 12, 2020 10:37 PM

I was all set this year to swim nude in the Men's Pool in London!

by Anonymousreply 156May 13, 2020 4:23 AM

Italy’s open for business as of next month:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 18, 2020 10:39 PM

Stay home, pig.

by Anonymousreply 158May 18, 2020 10:48 PM

The US and Brazil are two countries that will be blacklisted from many international flights, if their respective stupid people keep fighting quarantine and lockdowns in lieu of their "freedom".

No one will want to deal with countries with a high risk of contamination and spread.

by Anonymousreply 159May 18, 2020 11:05 PM

You fools thinking you'll be spending your summer vacation like nothing happened are both extremely stupid and highly delusional.

by Anonymousreply 160May 18, 2020 11:09 PM

I’m willing to do the 14 day quarantine in the UK or the Netherlands in August now. I have a feeling Germany will be off limits until the fall at the very earliest.

by Anonymousreply 161May 19, 2020 12:05 AM

I'll keep track just to laugh at yall faces.

by Anonymousreply 162May 19, 2020 12:18 AM

Ha ha, you Americans really think we're going to let you into Europe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 19, 2020 12:23 AM

R155 The ultimate "scold" troll.

by Anonymousreply 164May 19, 2020 1:25 AM

OP, you will most likely face a 14 day quarantine, as previous posters have said. That's one of the reasons I cancelled my France trip (even though I have a French passport and can get in without hassle).

by Anonymousreply 165May 19, 2020 1:43 AM

Georgia is opening up for international tourists July 1. Tbilisi sounds very tempting right now; there’s no word if there will be special restrictions against Americans entering.

by Anonymousreply 166May 19, 2020 1:47 AM

Europe wants, nay, NEEDS American tourist dollar$.

by Anonymousreply 167May 19, 2020 2:46 AM

[quote]I’m willing to do the 14 day quarantine in the UK or the Netherlands in August now.

In Spain and some other countries, quarantine means staying in for 14-days, going out only to a pharmacy or grocery store. And at the moment you have to have a residency or a work contract or some compelling purpose beyond tourism.

Quarantine in some European countries isn't traveling around within enjoying the hospitality just yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 19, 2020 11:32 AM

Unless you're retired who can spend 14 days in quarantine. We don't have that much vacation!

by Anonymousreply 169May 19, 2020 11:38 AM

OP Us Europeans are not traveling until August at the earliest.

I've gotten vouchers for Hungary, Italy Netherlands and UK flights which were cancelled and hope to travel again in 2021.

Remember that there is strict 14 day quarantine for many arrivals in most EU countries, assuming they let you in.

by Anonymousreply 170May 19, 2020 11:41 AM

Who the fuck wants to travel internationally so soon? You should be guillotined for being so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 171May 19, 2020 11:46 AM

I would love to travel this summer, R171. With quarantine rules just beginning to relax, for now I'm happy for now to see my own city again, having not strayed beyond my street for two months. I would like to travel this summer to other countries in Europe but won't do that until it is reasonably easy/safe to do, after mid-summer or so. Until then, I look forward to some short trips close to home when that is feasible and easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 172May 19, 2020 12:03 PM

Yeah. Why go somewhere to stay indoors for 14 days? Just get your vouchers like R170 did if you already purchased the tix, or purchase them for 2021 when they become available to do so, later this year.

Things are just too chaotic right now. We don’t know where we actually headed with this virus, & if experts are predicting a second wave by fall, you need to consider that this guess is a baseline. It could happen a little earlier or take off in December. You don’t want to be stuck in Germany if this happens. You will still be on the hook for expenses while there, and your expenses here in the states. And if heaven forbid, you get sick, you don’t want to be in a hospital where you may not speak their language fluently, or end up intubated, without your friends/family knowing exactly where you are, or worse case scenario, dead, without having your pre-planned burial or cremation directives available. That’s another expense that you would not have absorbed by your estate & accounted for, since those things are usually pre-paid, like burial plots, etc.

Waste of money and time. Don’t be a jackass and wait ‘til 2021. We need you in the states, anyhow. An election is underway before we know it.

If you’re voting for Trump, please disregard everything I wrote and ENJOY your vacay, doll!

by Anonymousreply 173May 19, 2020 12:07 PM

You just need to provide an address where you’ll be residing in the Netherlands or the UK. If not, they’ll provide your quarantine location (which sounds odd). I’m planning on going for the entire month of August and first week of September. I’d be fine with the first two weeks of quarantine, even if that means getting out once a day to go to the supermarket/pharmacy. I’m financially able to do this. My next job won’t start until October (I work as crew on a TV series). I turn 60 in August and always planned to do something special for it. I’ve fully recovered from the virus and have tested positive for antibodies twice so far, will test again at least one more time.

by Anonymousreply 174May 19, 2020 5:20 PM

I will travel around home too for the summer, and can't wait to re-book the Europe trip that I should be on right now (sob).

by Anonymousreply 175May 19, 2020 6:01 PM

A friend told me Vermont is quarantining outsiders for 2 weeks too. Fucking Vermont. Weirdos.

by Anonymousreply 176May 19, 2020 7:02 PM

R176 so is Maine. Why do you need to go there?

by Anonymousreply 177May 19, 2020 8:50 PM

stay local, cunt

by Anonymousreply 178May 19, 2020 8:54 PM

I don't need to go there cunt. I'm going Upstate.

by Anonymousreply 179May 20, 2020 11:59 AM

OP, I am so jealous that you’ve already had the virus!

If you haven’t had the virus, you’d be nuts to travel. Even if you have, it’s not like museums and other things to see will all be open. There won’t be even enough other people traveling to form a quorum.

by Anonymousreply 180May 20, 2020 12:47 PM

[quote] R18: Americans aren’t into fascism the way Germans are.

Oh, the ironing! Americans should be prepared for 100 years of hillbilly jokes and Hydroxyqualine jokes and a comedy TV series based on a fascist ICE facility outside El Paso. They will still be making jokes when the Chinese annex Canada in 2075.

by Anonymousreply 181May 20, 2020 1:05 PM

the more I read it about it, the more i realize traveling will never be the same again. and i love to travel. i guess i was lucky enough to travel the whole month of February . totally clueless now when’s the realistic date for the next one.

by Anonymousreply 182May 20, 2020 5:52 PM

Oh the ironing..

by Anonymousreply 183May 20, 2020 7:49 PM

As if someone had been watching my DL activity, my email and news threads today have lots of adverts/news of newly posted €9 return-trip flights from Spanish cities to Menorca €9, London €20, Paris €40.

by Anonymousreply 184May 20, 2020 7:55 PM

I love to travel so much that I am bereft if I don't have outstanding plane and airbnb reservations at any given time. So screw it, I'm researching and booking for next spring in order to preserve my sanity.

by Anonymousreply 185May 20, 2020 8:45 PM

If you are young and have no underlying health issues, traveling is going to be wonderful when everything opens up. No hoards of tourists! It will be like doing the GRAND TOUR from 100 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 186May 20, 2020 8:46 PM

If Americans are considering traveling this year, I hope they save the dates for Nov 4, 2020; and Jan 20, 2021, in DC.

by Anonymousreply 187May 20, 2020 8:59 PM

Greece is lifting all travel restrictions and quarantine requirements from 1 July. Their summer is scorching so they don't need to fear the virus.

by Anonymousreply 188May 20, 2020 10:49 PM

[quote]Greece is lifting all travel restrictions and quarantine requirements from 1 July.

All the corrupt politicians are missing their kickbacks.

by Anonymousreply 189May 20, 2020 10:53 PM

We don't want diseased Americans here. I very much doubt the EU will let you in until you get your COVID situation under control and you're not all running around screaming FREEDOM and infecting thousands.

by Anonymousreply 190May 20, 2020 10:53 PM

Hot weather doesn’t kill the virus, Dumbass

by Anonymousreply 191May 20, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote]We don't want diseased Americans here. I very much doubt the EU will let you in until you get your COVID situation under control and you're not all running around screaming FREEDOM and infecting thousands.

The problem with that is that Americans are the only ones who spend money when they travel. Americans don't stay in cheap youth hostels. They want luxury when they travel. Nobody else spends like Americans.

But you go ahead and enjoy your Summer of Japanese tour buses.

by Anonymousreply 192May 20, 2020 10:57 PM

R180, thanks but don’t be too jealous of me for having had the virus. It gave me a kick in the nuts on the way out. I now have a heart condition known as “premature contractions.” I know, insert joke here. At least it’s apparently not life threatening and manageable by medication. I had felt ongoing pressure in my chest which led to a heartburn type of feeling there. My EKG showed an irregular heartbeat. I got blood tests and X rays in the ER for my heart and lungs. Thank god my lungs are clear-I was concerned about pneumonia. Anyway I have this heart condition now as a not so great souvenir from the virus. I was told by the doctor that it shouldn’t impede my traveling as long as it was under “reasonable circumstances.” One day at a time. August is a ways away.

by Anonymousreply 193May 20, 2020 11:37 PM

R192 the Chinese spend like there’s no tomorrow. There was a piece done on the news about designer shops in Paris. Sometimes the Chinese tour busses will park out front and buy almost the entire stock in these stores. Chanel, LV, etc. After them it’s definitely americans that spend the most.

by Anonymousreply 194May 20, 2020 11:40 PM

Uhhh, trying to avoid the Chinese tourists is definitely worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 195May 21, 2020 12:00 AM

New Harvard research shows that the virus finds it hard to transmit in temperatures over 77f. So the spastic braindead cunt upthread can fuck off. No coincidence that Italy and Spain are practically over the epidemic while the tepid UK flounders on.

by Anonymousreply 196May 21, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote]New Harvard research shows that the virus finds it hard to transmit in temperatures over 77f.

So in the future, no airplanes will have air conditioning.

by Anonymousreply 197May 21, 2020 12:39 AM

What hotel is going to allow auslanders to quarantine on their premises? None, I suspect.

by Anonymousreply 198May 21, 2020 1:15 AM

G’day R196! It’s great spotting fellow Aussies on here

by Anonymousreply 199May 22, 2020 2:14 AM

I just read Greece is lifting quarantine restrictions on July 1. Greece will have us.

by Anonymousreply 200May 22, 2020 12:00 PM

I have very slowly accepted the reality of no travel. As someone who lived to travel, it’s been the most depressing part of this. I still want to have hope, but 3 months in I still don’t see any. Keeping an eye out for the first Western state to reopen - that is probably as good as it gets for 2020.

by Anonymousreply 201May 22, 2020 2:16 PM

I’m thinking about going to Alaska in July to fish. It’s a beautiful state, with very few people. They have a 14 day quarantine period now, but they are expected to lift it in early June. I would stay at a VRBO. I’m so on the fence about all of this. Most of my friends are back to life as usual...vacationing and getting together for drinks and BBQ’s. I know that they think I’m crazy. I’m starting to feel crazy, because I’m the only paranoid one in my circle.

by Anonymousreply 202May 22, 2020 9:40 PM

[quote]As states reopen, and we give the virus more fuel, all bets are off. I understand the reasons for reopening the economy, but I've said before, if you don't solve the biology, the economy won't recover.

R202 stay paranoid and careful, you Vibrantthang. The quote is from one of the links in the Freakout 40 thread (a professor of biology, Erin Bromage). Just because we reached a peak (maybe), that simply means we are on the downslope, and people are still GETTING SICK. The lockdown's purpose was just to make sure the health system didn’t get overwhelmed.

The virus doesn’t care if a governor says we can socialize. The virus is still around, and we still need to be careful. Why waste all the effort you’ve already taken to stay safe, just bc friends are being ignorant?

From the link, it might take as little as inhaling1,000 virus particles to get infected. An infected person's sneeze produces 200 million virus particles, as an example. So take care, because while virus particles can’t read or understand governor's orders, they are still dangerous.

Alaska sounds great, though.

by Anonymousreply 203May 23, 2020 12:22 AM

Those going to Europe this summer make sure you have a good health insurance travel policy in place and that it includes cremation and or body repatriation. This is no joke. My step mother died during a sejour in Kenya. Utter hell getting her body back to the USA and very expensive

by Anonymousreply 204May 23, 2020 1:23 AM

Repatriation is fairly standard in comprehensive travel policies; if I have to die suddenly I'd like to be traveling, if possible.

by Anonymousreply 205May 23, 2020 1:43 AM

Greece accelerates its reopening to travel to June 15

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 23, 2020 1:57 AM

After 911 no American airline could carry a sealed casket back to the States We used KLM but it was still a huge production. I don't know if this rule still stands.

by Anonymousreply 207May 23, 2020 4:53 AM

'I’m thinking about going to Alaska in July to fish. '

You will be destroyed by mosquitoes.

by Anonymousreply 208May 23, 2020 7:08 PM

France invites its citizens not to vacation in Spain -- cites contradictory welcome to international travellers and a 14-day self-quarantine imposed upon arrivals of air passengers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209May 25, 2020 11:16 AM

2 weeks of quarantaine in the UK too.... I wouldn’t count on it OP

by Anonymousreply 210May 25, 2020 11:22 AM

Germany is opening up but not to the US. IF you are allowed to enter it is 14 days in quarantine at your own expense.

I don't think we will open to the US for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 211May 25, 2020 11:29 AM

This what you are looking for OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 25, 2020 11:39 AM

I'm a dual national which probably means nothing if one flies from the USA into Europe. I wonder if one can quarantine in a relative's home.

by Anonymousreply 213May 25, 2020 7:06 PM

Here's a list of all country embassies. Click the country to see their covid policies and plans to gradually reopen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214May 25, 2020 7:16 PM

[quote]I'm a dual national which probably means nothing if one flies from the USA into Europe. I wonder if one can quarantine in a relative's home.

Not sure. Normally it would mean that you just get in the EU passport line and are whisked in in seconds, but at the moment before the June openings) Spain, for example, currently allows Spanish nationals and Spanish residents to re-enter, and, it seems, passport holding *residents* of EU nations who have work permits or other compelling reason to enter Spain. The details of where you you can quarantine are vague.

The link is a guide to regulations by country, slightly confusing for its many amendments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215May 25, 2020 7:23 PM

Why do you NEED to travel this year? To spread your poz far and wide?

by Anonymousreply 216May 25, 2020 7:50 PM

Hah, R210. I’m not into that kind of thing, I like the one-on-one kind indoors, thanks.

R212, I’d be perfectly fine with quarantining in August for 14 days in Berlin. It will be worth it to me. I’ve tested positive for antibodies and doubt I can use that in August but maybe I can at Christmastime.

by Anonymousreply 217May 25, 2020 9:42 PM

Perhaps wait until September?

Summer is basically here and there are still only anticipated openings with various quarantine restrictions.

The early openings are geared primarily towards intra-EU travelers. Let them test out the waters.

I've always been fond of Labor Day travels. The end of August signals the end of peak season prices and crowds. The first two weeks of September are heavenly weatherwise.

I do think the adventurous will have great travel experiences in September IF no secondary outbreaks occur (big IF IMO). Even minor outbreaks may trigger strict lockdowns.

by Anonymousreply 218May 25, 2020 9:47 PM

But the flights to Europe are fabulously empty now. How divine. Imagine the hoards in September.

by Anonymousreply 219May 25, 2020 9:54 PM

But the 14 day quarantines and unknown restrictions on movement once there now...

Pick your poison

by Anonymousreply 220May 25, 2020 10:06 PM

I've never been to Venice and would love to go for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 221May 25, 2020 10:12 PM

(R221) Venice is really nice in winter. No rain and sunshine, albeit cold. I took my parents there for Christmas 7 years ago. We did side trips to Padua and Verona. Padua is a charming university town, and Verona is so picturesque. It has a Roman amphitheater, castle, and Juliet's balcony (not the real one, of course).

by Anonymousreply 222May 25, 2020 10:19 PM

How are these 14 day quarantines to be managed? Does anyone here know? If I could land and go directly to my family home no problem. But if one is obliged to go to a designated place and charged for 14 days of that hell, no gurl

by Anonymousreply 223May 25, 2020 10:23 PM

R218, I need to be back in NYC in September for work. I’d be out of the quarantine in Berlin in time for my 60th birthday on August 19th.

by Anonymousreply 224May 25, 2020 11:41 PM

Spain is still mostly closed for non-nationals, non-residents, and some other groups, with allowances for some work contracts. On June 7 those groups may enter, subject to a 14 day self quarantine - details of which appear to echo the guidelines for any Spaniard showing symptoms: stay at home (not strictly defined), venturing out is permitted only to seek food or healthcare, with masks obligatory. In early July, the quarantine requirement is due to be lifted.

The period of entry subject to 14-day quarantine is roughly the month beginning 7 June. [Dates are projections and could change subject to progress in controlling infection rates, so verify the fuck out if anything you read.]

A recent guide on Germany at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225May 26, 2020 7:54 AM

Anyone who is close to 60 and is planning a trip to Europe now is a complete idiot.

by Anonymousreply 226May 26, 2020 10:28 AM

I'm not sure R223. Is there a Government Place Of Quarantine that entrants shuffle off to and huddle in for 2 weeks? I am unclear how you get officially unquarantined too.

by Anonymousreply 227May 26, 2020 12:59 PM

whats the point of going on a trip if you ended up being quarantined. lol.

by Anonymousreply 228May 26, 2020 1:51 PM

the trip begins after the quarantine. lol.

by Anonymousreply 229May 26, 2020 2:06 PM

If you can quarantine in a luxurious 5 star hotel, I guess it wouldn’t be so bad. But how do you know if your room has been pozzed?

by Anonymousreply 230May 26, 2020 3:43 PM

I’ll be in a very lovely quarantine in Berlin at a friend’s place. I’ll be allowed to leave once a day to go to the local supermarket which is two blocks away. And there’s a great Italian restaurant next door which delivers!

by Anonymousreply 231May 26, 2020 5:33 PM

Sounds GREAT op. I like your style; go ahead and enjoy, and keep us updated if you can.

by Anonymousreply 232May 26, 2020 9:12 PM

And will you be pozzing your Berlin friend while you quarantine on “vacation”? Stay home you stupid bitch.

by Anonymousreply 233May 26, 2020 9:49 PM

R231 you will not be at your friend's house. If you are not a German you will be put in a hotel at a cost of 100 per day. You will be locked in your room, breakfast and dinner will be bread and cheese, lunch will be a hot meal, only water is available.

by Anonymousreply 234May 26, 2020 9:54 PM

Haha, R234. Uhhh, no. That’s not how it works. I’ve already had emails back and forth with the Embassy and I’ll be fine at my friend’s apartment in Tegel Weg.

And please pay attention, R233/troll. I’ve got plenty of antibodies which will last a while. Men over 35 apparently got extra. Which is nice for a change.

by Anonymousreply 235May 26, 2020 10:05 PM

Yeah take your antibodies and piss off. I hope you perish on the flight over so that you cannot infect more people than you already have. Fasten your seatbelt for takeoff.

by Anonymousreply 236May 26, 2020 10:13 PM

How does this work, OP? Are you escorted from the airport to your friend's home? Sorry pal, I call bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 237May 26, 2020 10:14 PM

No escort but I was advised to “use alternate transportation.” My friend is picking me up, his apartment is a 15 minute drive from the airport.

by Anonymousreply 238May 26, 2020 10:32 PM

I can't imagine the German gov being so lax (I am European).

by Anonymousreply 239May 26, 2020 10:34 PM

Look, I’ll have already been on a plane with other Germans already, what’s the difference if I was to get on the subway to the apartment. There will be no perfect system. These countries (even Germany) need tourists to spend and setting a 14 day quarantine is all they’re coming up with. The gentleman at the Embassy said he even thinks the quarantine rule could be lifted by August 1st. He told me I’ll be updated as I get closer to my departure date.

by Anonymousreply 240May 26, 2020 10:42 PM

R13 - I am in Romania and I can tell you the Germans who hired those workers are paying them about 1000 Euro a month and are, according to the contract, supposed to he providing lodging and food. The idea for many are who inherited a proper from the communist era is to work temporary gigs (from farming to ER doctors (based on skills)) for 9 months a year that pay well enough to save such that when they come back, they can lay back and enjoy their 3 month holiday. Eastern Europeans are often poor on paper. I wondered how these families are buying so much with 500 Euros a month and then it hit me that most own their apartments and have also inherited one (or part of one) from their parents/grandparents and split also have these side gigs. Since it costs about 1/4th as much to eat and pay utilities here, I now understand how they swing it.

by Anonymousreply 241May 26, 2020 10:51 PM

Italy is open on June 3 and Sicily is helping tourists pay in an effort to boost tourism.

by Anonymousreply 242May 26, 2020 10:53 PM

This is going to be a bit of a clusterfuck for a while. For instance Switzerland will open cross border travel June 15 from Germany, and Austria, but not from France or Italy.

One is going to have to do considerable research to not get stuck during travel as each country has their own protocols.

by Anonymousreply 243May 26, 2020 11:15 PM

^^ its own protocols.

by Anonymousreply 244May 26, 2020 11:16 PM

Here ya' go R59, will this do instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245May 27, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote] One is going to have to do considerable research to not get stuck during travel as each country has their own protocols.

How's that European Union thing working out for you? (Yes, I know Switzerland is not in the EU). Aren't they supposed to be standardizing stuff like this?

by Anonymousreply 246May 27, 2020 3:16 AM

What are the penalties for breaking quarantine? Are they strict like Singapore? Some guy is doing jail time it.

by Anonymousreply 247May 27, 2020 3:26 AM

[quote]What are the penalties for breaking quarantine? Are they strict like Singapore? Some guy is doing jail time it.

If you get put in jail in Germany, think of all that German dick you'll get.

by Anonymousreply 248May 27, 2020 3:47 AM

In Thailand, they'll track your location by your cell phone. In Singapore, the police do random room checks.

by Anonymousreply 249May 27, 2020 5:41 AM

R246: How's that great UNITED States thing working out for you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250May 27, 2020 6:40 AM

Indeed, R246 hasn't the finest analytical skills.

by Anonymousreply 251May 27, 2020 9:01 AM

Glad I changed my mind and decided last week to spend August in England and Scotland. NY Times now reporting Americans will not be allowed entry to the EU. Sorry, the link isn’t able to be posted here.

by Anonymousreply 252June 23, 2020 5:46 PM

Montana is quarantining. It's voluntary -two weeks. Weathy people and some Hollywood, are flocking there. Their virus numbers are very low.

by Anonymousreply 253June 23, 2020 6:17 PM

Do you mean Crans Montana, mon chou?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254June 23, 2020 6:26 PM

Who would want a Chinee visiting their country?

Answer: Nobody

by Anonymousreply 255June 23, 2020 6:27 PM

NYT article mentioned by R252 (or search this headline)

E.U. May Bar American Travelers as It Reopens Borders, Citing Failures on Virus

European Union officials are racing to agree on who can visit the bloc as of July 1 based on how countries of origin are faring with new coronavirus cases. Americans, so far, are excluded, according to draft lists seen by The New York Times.

By Matina Stevis-Gridneff June 23, 2020 Updated 2:04 p.m. ET

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256June 23, 2020 6:31 PM

Why go to Europe or abroad when you can join all the maskless 'tards in the Ozarks, on the Florida beaches, or in Vegas?

Murica is good enuff fer me.

by Anonymousreply 257June 23, 2020 6:41 PM

R2 I want big juicy uncut euro schlong, and I hear Germany has some of the best. Cock connoisseur

by Anonymousreply 258June 23, 2020 6:46 PM

R252, you do realise that if you travel to the UK you will have to go on a strictly-policed 2-week quarantine once you're there?

by Anonymousreply 259June 23, 2020 10:23 PM

R259, it’s not “strictly policed” at all according to three of my friends who already did it over there. They said it was, in fact, an absolute joke, they were never contacted by authorities and the quarantine will most likely be lifted sometime next month, anyway.

Try to learn the facts once your envy of me subsides, luv.

by Anonymousreply 260June 23, 2020 10:31 PM

You mean the Metro didn't send shifts of guards over to your flat to monitor your movements? I am shocked to hear they did not.

by Anonymousreply 261June 23, 2020 11:48 PM

Other countries might be blocked, but the crazy USA probably will and should be blocked.

by Anonymousreply 262June 23, 2020 11:51 PM

I'm heading to the Czech Republic in exactly two weeks (unless they decide to close down the European borders again in the next few days). I've been there plenty of times already but it's gonna be fabulous finally seeing it without hordes of annoying Asian and British tourists.

by Anonymousreply 263June 24, 2020 12:02 AM

Hope OP hasn’t payed for his tickets yet, if the EU does ban Americans then the UK is obliged to follow. As the UK is currently in the transition period and has to continue following EU rules until December 31st.

by Anonymousreply 264June 24, 2020 5:10 AM

Anyone traveling right now for pleasure is a dumb fuck

by Anonymousreply 265June 24, 2020 5:13 AM

Really, r260? Just when did your friends arrive in the UK? Because the quarantine itself hasn't barely been in place for 2 weeks.

What exactly did your friends go to the UK for, considering it was only yesterday announced that museums, galleries, pubs, restaurants, cafes, etc. will only open on 4 July?

I'm also not sure why I should envy you, considering I am actually from the UK - but at present in an EU country that has a very low infection and death rate. I'd like to go back home but am waiting for them to lift the quarantine, which they are in discussions for doing for the country I am in.

by Anonymousreply 266June 24, 2020 8:11 AM

R264, that's nothing to do with the transition period. The transition period simply means that the UK remains within the framework of the single market and customs union until the end of the year.

But, because the UK and the EU are right next door to each other, and even on the same territory in the case of the island of Ireland, travel between the UK and EU is far more important to both than travel with the US and the EU has kindly allowed the UK to be part of the travel area it has defined for the coronavirus pandemic, meaning that people from the UK are able to travel and from the EU and vice versa. So, whatever travel rules the EU implements the UK will also follow - but that's not because of the transition period.

So, if the EU extends the travel ban it already has on the US - where infection rates are again rising in quite a scary way - then the UK will most likely follow suit. Even if the UK doesn't follow suite, the quarantine is very likely to remain in place for people travelling from the US.

by Anonymousreply 267June 24, 2020 8:19 AM

"hasn't barely been" = "has barely been"

by Anonymousreply 268June 24, 2020 8:19 AM

In any case, the US has banned travel from the EU and UK, so even if you could get into Europe, you wouldn't be able to get back into the US.

by Anonymousreply 269June 24, 2020 8:21 AM

EU is out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270June 24, 2020 8:45 AM

Brazilians and Russians didn't make the cut either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271June 24, 2020 8:46 AM

No Brazilians, no Russians, no Americans and Brits restricted by 14 day return quarantine?

This will be the nicest summer ever.

by Anonymousreply 272June 24, 2020 8:51 AM

[quote] No Brazilians, no Russians, no Americans and Brits restricted by 14 day return quarantine? This will be the nicest summer ever. —Spain

My friend living in Cadiz says just this. The locals are enjoying their own country following quarantine. They’ve enlisted over 3000 people to ensure social distancing, reiterate protocols and provide employment.

Friend sounds generally satisfied with how the area has handled things with the virus. Thus far.

by Anonymousreply 273June 24, 2020 9:13 AM

Where in Alabama is this Europe place? I’m fixin to go somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 274June 24, 2020 11:38 AM

I hear if ya go ta Venice you'll be right next to that there Wynn place and Trump Tower. Real lovely I hear.

Good buffet too. And no stupid masks needed.

by Anonymousreply 275June 24, 2020 3:59 PM

I hear if ya go ta Venice you'll be right next to that there Wynn place and Trump Tower. Real lovely I hear.

Good buffet too. And no stupid masks needed.

by Anonymousreply 276June 24, 2020 3:59 PM

There simply isn't enough internal EU or Europe tourism that will replace money spent by Americans, Asians, Russians and South Americans. Some popular or whatever destinations may survive one summer/fall season without, but two is highly debatable.

Of course same thing applies to United States, South America and Asia; international tourism brings in big money, and there just isn't enough domestic to replace those sums.

by Anonymousreply 277June 24, 2020 6:52 PM

On the other hand, it seems as though the Chinese will be allowed into the EU.

by Anonymousreply 278June 24, 2020 8:23 PM

Who ever does those Dee Plorable posts really should keep his day job.

by Anonymousreply 279June 24, 2020 8:33 PM

Chinese tourists are big in numbers and spending for much of EU; in fact IIRC they have surpassed Americans on one or both scores for many countries.

Without the Americans EU nations are going to need some sort of international tourists that spend, and Chinese fit the bill.

There also might be a bit of push back (intended or otherwise) against DT and his administration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280June 24, 2020 8:49 PM

EU is preparing to announce a BAN on all Americans wanting to enter the EU

You just have to look at the Covid numbers in the USA to understand why they are implementing this Ban

by Anonymousreply 281June 24, 2020 8:51 PM

Europe to America 2020: Drop Dead, Diseased Slobs [on Your Own Soil].

by Anonymousreply 282June 24, 2020 8:53 PM

R280, it's not a political choice, it's about the infection rate. China's infection rate is low (even if massaged), whereas the situation in the US is a little crazy.

Personally, I think we should let Americans into the EU+ if they agree to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival.

by Anonymousreply 283June 24, 2020 9:05 PM

Americans can't be trusted to self-quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 284June 24, 2020 9:15 PM

Be careful what you wish for, Europe. Haven't you yet seen Chinese tourists descend on you like locusts?

by Anonymousreply 285June 24, 2020 9:19 PM

How do the Chinee make so much money? Dog meat can't be that profitable...

by Anonymousreply 286June 25, 2020 1:31 PM

The number of new cases in Europe is on the rise again. And some countries are decreasing the number of tests on purpose, so they wouldn't scare away the tourists: just look at Croatia - 95 new cases today with only 919 tests performed.

I think things will escalate quickly in the next two weeks and countries will start closing down their borders again in panic. There goes my fucking Czech holiday...

by Anonymousreply 287June 25, 2020 2:21 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

Cases do not mean deaths or hospitalization. In many cases people have benign covid.

by Anonymousreply 288June 25, 2020 3:06 PM

R287, apparently the rise in infections is related to Djokovic's tennis tournament, so these infections can be isolated and Croatia can be even more attentive and not let something like that happen again. They've also just imposed a quarantine for arrivals from four nearby countries. Yesterday, there were no Covid-19 related deaths in Croatia.

If you can get in, you should definitely go to the Czech Republic. It's to be expected that there will be a rise in cases with the lifting of the lockdowns, but as long as they're manageable and there is a track and test system in place it should be ok.

by Anonymousreply 289June 25, 2020 3:49 PM

We're holding off our postponed European plans until next year. This season will surely provide some helpful lessons learned for next year's travel. I do think it will rebound by then in terms of local competence and foreign confidence.

We'll be doing some nature-focused American travels later this summer. Away from the crowds.

by Anonymousreply 290June 25, 2020 3:55 PM

'Very significant' resurgences in Europe alarm WHO

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291June 25, 2020 5:19 PM

I'm interested in Cyprus but upon researching , found out they are only allowing those from low Covid-19 risk countries right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292June 25, 2020 6:08 PM

Eiffel opened today and locals have a good opportunity to get in, because there are no tourists. Due to pandemic elevators are closed. People have to climb up stairs wearing masks. Parks are also empty for locals to enjoy. Europe is opening up. It is little too early to say if people are traveling anywhere just yet. I am waiting until one can fly without wearing mask and walk around without it and cases are down for a longer time.

by Anonymousreply 293June 25, 2020 6:25 PM

R291, perhaps you should explain what "Europe" means as used in that BBC article. Only one of the 11 "European" countries cited as having a significant rise in infections is in the EU/EEA area, and it's one that decided not to lockdown.

[quote]The 11 countries and territories were later identified by the WHO as Armenia, Sweden, Moldova, North Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine and Kosovo.

by Anonymousreply 294June 25, 2020 8:16 PM

Help!!! I’m stuck in Dubai and my “boss” won’t let me leave!!

by Anonymousreply 295June 25, 2020 8:20 PM

"Coronavirus latest: German reproduction rate spikes 60% in a day"

"The rate at which the virus spreads from an infected person to others has risen significantly above a critical level for keeping the pandemic in check. Germany's R-rate now stands at 2.88. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296June 25, 2020 8:44 PM

Bitches are staying home this year.

by Anonymousreply 297June 25, 2020 9:07 PM

[quote]Americans can't be trusted to self-quarantine.

LOCK THEM UP! I mean literally. If they want to come to the EU so bad and since they cant be trusted, I say only allow them in if they are kept in a restricted hotel and be kicked out of the country if they break quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 298June 26, 2020 12:23 AM

[quote]LOCK THEM UP! I mean literally. If they want to come to the EU so bad and since they cant be trusted, I say only allow them in if they are kept in a restricted hotel and be kicked out of the country if they break quarantine.

So you go to Europe and you have to stay in a hotel and not venture out for 14 days?

I'm sure that'll work out well.

by Anonymousreply 299June 26, 2020 12:55 AM

girl, get that dick!

by Anonymousreply 300June 26, 2020 12:57 AM

I am going to vacation in my bedroom, watching Steve Rick videos.

by Anonymousreply 301June 26, 2020 2:06 AM

That's because there was an isolated outbreak at a meat plant r296, which for some reason you forget to mention. Check Germany's figures in a few days and they will have gone down rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 302June 26, 2020 6:12 AM

[quote] So you go to Europe and you have to stay in a hotel and not venture out for 14 days? I'm sure that'll work out well.

That's the point, Americans will break the law and then they can be legally deported or arrested.

by Anonymousreply 303June 26, 2020 11:36 AM

R299 Same thing with Swedish. We might have weddings later this summer and family members from Sweden won’t come because they would need to stay in a hotel for 14 days. After it they could attend. No point of coming.

by Anonymousreply 304June 26, 2020 12:40 PM

You cannot trust anyone to self-quarantine when it comes to immigration or tourism.

Back in prior century United States like many other countries had quarantine hospitals or access to such wards in private to put people. Here in NYC they used barges or boats anchored off Staten Island, then they built quarantine hospitals (which locals burnt down). Then came places out on various islands located in East River, and Belle Vue (original spelling) hospital which began as a quarantine hospital.

You can put or require people to say in hotels; but that means said place must act sort of as jailer to prevent people from going out. Well suppose local or whatever government could post LE to keep people inside, but that does sort of send the wrong message.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305June 26, 2020 9:04 PM

[quote]That's because there was an isolated outbreak at a meat plant

So what? These workers somehow don't count?

Isolated? The workers don't go home to their families? Are they locked inside the processing plants?

by Anonymousreply 306June 26, 2020 9:31 PM

On CNN: NYT: EU to block US travelers due to coronavirus. EU sees what WH won’t accept, US cases going up because Cheeto is on denial for political reasons. Sad this idiot in WH affects to all people in US.

by Anonymousreply 307June 26, 2020 9:47 PM

So thread over. No one here is traveling to Europe unless you hold an EU residency or passport.

Will Canada let us in? You can go to Montreal and pretend you are in some sort of awful version of France....

by Anonymousreply 308June 26, 2020 9:59 PM

Thread was over before it began. EU wasn't going to let Americans in this summer, and that fact had been known for a week or so before OP started this thread.

by Anonymousreply 309June 26, 2020 10:02 PM

No decision has been taken yet Do any of you queens read the links?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310June 26, 2020 10:05 PM

Queens don't need to wait. If you're half-intelligent, what you're seeing in this country's response was evident by early April.

Summer is already one month over. Europe is cancelled for Americans, thanks to our President largely.

by Anonymousreply 311June 26, 2020 10:32 PM

Here's the thing; EU or individual countries in Europe cannot divide USA up into "yes" and "no" columns. That is those coming from New York are fine, but Texas or Florida aren't. For a host of reasons such a scenario not only is impossible but possibly some how illegal far as travel treaties are concerned.

Faced with an all or nothing approach EU must then weight all the options... Loss of income versus public health, and or associated costs for screening, quarantine, etc...

Average American does not have fourteen days out of their vacation time to spend locked up in quarantine. If you have a place over there, and or family/friends, and were planning on staying for several months, that would be different.

by Anonymousreply 312June 26, 2020 10:42 PM

In addition Larry O'Donnell discussed a whistle-blower report that TSA agents are using the same gloves to pat down multiple - 100s to 1000s per day - without sanitizing between passengers. Can the USA get anything right with this pandemic?

by Anonymousreply 313June 26, 2020 10:50 PM

Of course it counts, r306 but it's a localised, isolated case that can be managed through tracking and testing everyone who works in the plant and whoever they have come into contact with, while a local quarantine has been imposed. There isn't a widespread rise in infections in Germany and the rise in the R number is related solely to that incident. The thread is about travel to Europe. As long as you don't go anywhere near the meat plant you should be ok in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 314June 26, 2020 11:17 PM

R310 Do try to read a major newspaper daily.

It's as good as done according to TODAY's NYT. And they do have good sources, the old grey lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315June 26, 2020 11:27 PM

I'm supposed to travel to France in late September and Belgium in October.

Should I bail now?

by Anonymousreply 316June 26, 2020 11:29 PM

R315 is right.

Even the Chinese will be allowed to travel back in, if they allow reciprocity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317June 26, 2020 11:33 PM

It took NYS 3 months to bring down Covid cases/deaths R316, so that is the expected timeline for the southern states. Given the poor education and love of Trump which will lead to lack of social distancing, add on a few more months. So, no - I doubt you can travel to the EU in late Sept.

by Anonymousreply 318June 26, 2020 11:33 PM

R316 I'd wait. I'm doubtful Europe will be a possibility at all this year for Americans.

However, if the EU won't allow Americans in then your airline(s) will likely cancel your flights. In that scenario, you are entitled to a refund rather than a credit that you have to use in a certain timeframe. You'll have to be patient (and persistent if the airlines want to play tough with your money).

It happened to us. We had to wait until two weeks before we were scheduled to depart for the final determination, but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 319June 26, 2020 11:51 PM

R315. The Washington Post challenges the NYT article. DO try to keep up, Rose.

Again, no decision has been taken yet And for many good reasons as the WP sets out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320June 27, 2020 12:03 AM

R316, I wouldn't cancel just now. The EU is only taking this measure because infection rates started going up in the US again. If they go down again in the next few weeks, they might reconsider the ban.

Although there is the slight problem of the US having banned flights from the EU and the EU now considering the principle of reciprocity.

by Anonymousreply 321June 27, 2020 1:10 AM

[quote]The Washington Post challenges the NYT article. DO try to keep up, Rose.

Thank you, Jeff Bezos. Here's my $72 to read your "challenge" (or $108 where I live.)

by Anonymousreply 322June 27, 2020 9:28 AM

You’ll stay banned till you get that R-rate down or on a par with EU states.

by Anonymousreply 323June 27, 2020 11:13 AM

Unfortunately most Americans don't know what the R-rate means.

They are better off in their WalMarts at home for sure.

by Anonymousreply 324June 27, 2020 4:14 PM

If you bought a "bargain" non-refundable ticket for an overseas destination on United, the best you'll get is a voucher good for 2 years, not a refund. Even if the airline cancels on you.

(As of June 15th).

by Anonymousreply 325June 27, 2020 8:09 PM

R325 which part of non refundable didn’t you accept when you purchased your ticket? It will always be non refundable.

by Anonymousreply 326June 28, 2020 11:23 AM

I don't know what everyone is bitching about, the original meaning of the word quarantine was a period that lasted 40 days. It was used in the Venetian-controlled port city of Ragusa where people had to stay on shops for 40 days before they could come ashore. They tried 30, didn't work. Sound failure? They had a better name for their plague, the Black Death! It killed 50 million people.

by Anonymousreply 327June 28, 2020 11:55 AM

R327

Government of Ragusa first put in place a trentino (30 days) isolation of persons from ships. That later was extended to forty days (quarantino) which forms root of modern word quarantine.

That being said as wont to happen then those with money and or influence evaded both thirty and forty day quarantines, thus leaving and going aboard ships as they pleased.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328June 28, 2020 9:42 PM

For the record Ragusa still got hit with the plague regardless. Quarantine measures may or may not have lessened impact, and while city fathers are to be commended for their actions no one knew it was rats and the fleas they carried were responsible for spreading bubonic plague.

All port cities and or those that lie near bodies of water then and now have rat problems; London, Paris, Boston, New York.....

Once connection was made new pubic health laws such as forcing ships to remain outside harbor and undergo fumigation were employed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329June 28, 2020 9:49 PM

I wanted to fly to California and visit my folks in August as my roomie and I have been in Romania too long. We were told we can come as Americans, no problem, but upon our return back we would need to be in quarantine for 14 days with guards because of the high rate of infection there. Now we are delaying our trip and possibly just flying to Paris since they reopened some places and we don't need to quarantine because we are in low infection part of the EU. I hope we can come by September. Otherwise, my mom is not flying out and I am worried the whole EU may close if the Trumptards keep infection rates there soaring.

by Anonymousreply 330June 28, 2020 11:10 PM

R272 - the real issue in Spain are the Germanic Eurotrash going to Barcelona to drink and get stoned. My ex was from there and said the locals leave because of that. The kind of trashy young Dutch and Belgian kids with blonde dreads and tattoos who smell like the river. I saw them too, horrid specimens who steal, beg and are doped all day. The only people that remain in town are Sri Lankan vendors and Eastern European construction or hospitality workers at hotels. You hardly see any Spaniards. You may see some refugees from El Salvador working as cleaning people.

by Anonymousreply 331June 28, 2020 11:25 PM

I hope the Chinese spread the plague again in shitty Europe, you people deserve it. The Covid in America came from Europe, not China so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 332June 29, 2020 3:42 AM

^^ post your instagram account here.

by Anonymousreply 333June 29, 2020 3:49 AM

Charming, R332.

by Anonymousreply 334June 29, 2020 5:17 AM

R308 Regarding travel to Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335June 29, 2020 6:17 AM

R332 = local deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 336June 29, 2020 6:24 AM

R332 - yeah, because the Europeans have the wet markets and shut down doctors who sound the alarm about a virus. And naturally, the Europeans boarded planes in a concerted effort to infect Americans.

Are you really that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 337June 29, 2020 6:26 AM

Looks like final list is out for EU travel beginning 1 July, and USA did not make the cut.

Algeria

Australia

Canada

Georgia

Japan

Serbia

South Korea

Montenegro

Morocco

New Zealand

Rwanda

Thailand

Tunisia

Uruguay

China was left off list for now unless or until their own borders open for international travel from EU.

USA apparently besides DT's travel ban against EU there was issue with continuing spikes in new cases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338June 29, 2020 7:54 AM

R332, if the Chinese spread Covid in Europe again we'll actually be in a much better position to deal with it. Yes, we were the epicentre at one point but that's also because the virus was in Europe a lot earlier before it was noticed. And, yes, some countries suffered greatly and of course mistakes were made early on because this was a completely new phenomenon. But we've learnt from those mistakes and won't do the same things again. We also have a much better idea of what to do and how to do it and systems and processes are now in place.

The US, on the other hand, is a disaster zone.

by Anonymousreply 339June 29, 2020 8:04 AM

r335 Canada is not playing.

by Anonymousreply 340June 29, 2020 10:50 AM

I am sure many in Rwanda are relieved their summer holidays in Europe won't be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 341June 29, 2020 11:01 AM

Les États-Unis: Zéro points

by Anonymousreply 342June 29, 2020 1:18 PM

Rwanda made the list?

AMERIKA IS GRATE AGEN!!! Keep openen herr upp!!!

by Anonymousreply 343June 29, 2020 3:44 PM

Didn’t get the memo 📝 yet?

by Anonymousreply 344June 29, 2020 3:49 PM

I'm sure Rwanda was put on the list as a way of trolling Trump.

by Anonymousreply 345June 29, 2020 4:23 PM

Confirmed no travelling to the EU for Americans.

by Anonymousreply 346June 30, 2020 1:57 PM

Keep yo plague ridden asses home.

by Anonymousreply 347June 30, 2020 2:22 PM

This thread cracks me up. The delusional early posters from April thinking they would be swanning around Europe in the summer!! You’ll be lucky to go next year!

by Anonymousreply 348June 30, 2020 2:43 PM

R286, In case you haven't noticed, China manufactures everything S. Korea doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 349June 30, 2020 3:10 PM

R331, What about the Brits?! They're the ones always falling drunkenly off Costa del Sol balconies!

by Anonymousreply 350June 30, 2020 3:14 PM

UK has airbridges, Spain and Portugal want those louts united coins.

by Anonymousreply 351June 30, 2020 3:18 PM

That’s a mighty big leap of thought, R2, from what Op said. How’d you come up with that?!

by Anonymousreply 352June 30, 2020 3:27 PM

The EU announced its travel list and the United States is not amongst the countries that is allow into the member countries. It looks like seeing America is the current option. It would seem that the only safe options for traveling in the US are to rent a house in the country or go camping.

by Anonymousreply 353June 30, 2020 3:30 PM

^^ Nana, get off my computer.

by Anonymousreply 354June 30, 2020 3:33 PM

Surprise that Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco made EU's cut.

by Anonymousreply 355June 30, 2020 3:44 PM

R348, if the US had done everything it should have done since April, then American tourists would certainly have been able to visit Europe.

by Anonymousreply 356June 30, 2020 4:04 PM

R356: Sadly for the U.S., you could amend that to "If the U.S. had [bold]made even a reasonable effort at doing what[/bold] it should have done...."

by Anonymousreply 357June 30, 2020 4:10 PM

R356 oh my fucking sides! Since 2016, when has the US “done the right thing”? The US was fucked COVID wise since February when nothing was done as usual.

by Anonymousreply 358June 30, 2020 4:11 PM

Don't them damn foerigners know the Kumg Flu is just a Democrat hoax?

by Anonymousreply 359June 30, 2020 4:24 PM

Not unless you hire a Coyote to smuggle you across some border. Call the Trapps...they probably have some good suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 360June 30, 2020 4:25 PM

Sadly those of us who hate dealing with the stupidities of other Americans are stuck at home this summer.

All those fatasses who can't manage their high blood pressure and cholesterol that I work with are going to benefit from my leave donations this year.

by Anonymousreply 361June 30, 2020 5:50 PM

R361 what is a leave donation?

by Anonymousreply 362June 30, 2020 9:28 PM

Honey, you ain't goin' nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 363June 30, 2020 9:31 PM

R362 Donating excess unused leave that we can't roll over. For people who always took sick days over dumb shit like hangovers or getting called out by their boss who are then incapacitated from working due to cancer or something real.

Normally I say fuck em.

But, I think staycations are the dumbest thing ever. It's what simpleton Americans do because well, they're simple.

So, I'll just donate any leave I can't keep to Marge or Bob who's 59 and sending pathetic leave donation requests from their hospital beds.

by Anonymousreply 364June 30, 2020 10:13 PM

That isn't going to happen R31.

by Anonymousreply 365July 1, 2020 12:23 AM

Dear Americans.

Here are your options for vacation and travel for the next 12 months until further review:

1. Syria.

2. Brazil.

3. Afghanistan.

4. South Sudan.

5. Yemen.

You will be welcomed at those 5 destinations with open arms. There are a number of exciting vacation plans and challenges for you to amuse yourself with such as land mines, local militia gangs, kidnapping, surprise bombings, terrorist bombings and of course - Coronavirus. If you enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy then you will enjoy your vacation!

[italic]*Please note: Various insignificant body parts may be blown off by a landmine or stray bomb or they may be chopped off in a kidnapping ransom display of seriousness or by local militia. Also - your head and other important body parts may also be blown off or chopped off. Also please note: if you require medical treatment then you will not be provided with it because America is partly responsible for the bombing out and eradication of all medical facilities or restricting medicines for profit in these destinations. Please also be aware that as part of your vacation activities you will be getting Coronavirus within 30 minutes of arrival when visiting Brazil. Your challenge will be to survive. Again - no medical facilities are available for you because not even the Brazilian people can get medical treatment. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 366July 1, 2020 12:53 AM

Well, I did it. I flew to London early last month, went up to Edinburgh and then back to London before flying back to NY over the weekend.

London, like NYC, is in very big trouble economically. The tourists aren’t going there, either. When the Strand and Fleet Street are practically deserted during lunchtime hours then you know something very bad is going on. I still enjoyed myself, though. I LOVED Edinburgh. I’d never been there before. It’s strikingly beautiful and even though it was actually getting its fair share of tourists (mostly from Germany and England) it really did turn out to be the perfect time to visit there.

By the way my twmperature wasn’t taken at Heathrow but it was taken several days later at a fancy restaurant in Sloane Square. Since I’d been told by everybody there that the quarantine wasn’t being enforced, and I’d already had the virus, I thought it would be OK to go out and about. As it turned out the six day heatwave (it was over 90 degrees each of those days) which hit London resulted in my staying in my rented apartment for a lot of the time. For those first 14 days I was never contacted by any authorities regarding my being in quarantine. So it was true. They weren’t enforcing it. My temperature WAS taken at JFK, though.

I still hope to return to Berlin but doubt it will happpen before the spring. That’s OK. I’m just very satisfied that I managed to spend most of August away from NYC in beautiful, far less crowded surroundings.

by Anonymousreply 367September 1, 2020 5:11 PM

Did you escape the race riots OP, or were you there for that?

by Anonymousreply 368September 1, 2020 5:14 PM

Why does everyone associate Germans with scat?

by Anonymousreply 369September 1, 2020 5:16 PM

Americans are excluded from visiting any country in the EU, unless you have an EU passport. A friend of mine is the son of a native Italian and therefore qualified for the special passport designation that allows him to travel abroad almost without exception. Of course, he's not an ordinary tourist. He owns a small house in France, is recently divorced and can travel and quarantine alone. His house is in a small village where the possibility of infection is quite low.

by Anonymousreply 370September 1, 2020 7:15 PM

R370. Ireland is in the EU and it’s accepting Americans. The countries in the EU Schengen zone aren’t accepting Americans.

R368, what race riots? Do you mean demonstrations? There was a BLM one on Sunday, the day I left. A lot of storefronts in the posh area I stayed in were all boarded up, including Gwynnie’s Goop store. I had to take a photo of that.

by Anonymousreply 371September 2, 2020 2:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!