Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coronavirus Freakout 29: The Day(s) the Earth Stood Still

Who else thinks that Michael Rennie was hot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600April 3, 2020 1:43 AM

Previous thread.

Klaatu barada nikto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 31, 2020 9:13 PM

Even though you’re a neurotic, bossy cunt - good title.

by Anonymousreply 2March 31, 2020 9:15 PM

Stubborn, too... you just can’t do a poll for those who’d like one, can you? Even in the middle of this, you can’t share. Oh, well, ‘twas ever thus, yeah?

by Anonymousreply 3March 31, 2020 9:16 PM

The polls are useless, absolutely useless.

😴 Begone, #PollTroll !

by Anonymousreply 4March 31, 2020 9:20 PM

Is everyone resigned to the fact that we will likely have to shelter in place for all of April through June?

by Anonymousreply 5March 31, 2020 9:22 PM

The word for the summer:

☀️[italic] Staycation In Place

by Anonymousreply 6March 31, 2020 9:24 PM

Is it okay to put a pizza box in the fridge if you wash your hands before eating the food?

by Anonymousreply 7March 31, 2020 9:26 PM

So now it's "30 DAYS TO SLOW THE SPREAD?"

by Anonymousreply 8March 31, 2020 9:32 PM

Even Trump is using June 1 now

by Anonymousreply 9March 31, 2020 9:34 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 31, 2020 9:37 PM

Matter of Life & Death !

Close it up !

Loans !

Tremendous Job !

Business at a level that nobody's ever seen before !

Massive amounts of equipment and supplies !

Holding Back !

Ventilators to Michigan & New York !

50,000 Beds !

100 Travel trailers, and ordering more !

More beds for Michigan !

Field hospitals for Louisiana !

Alternate care sites!

Louisiana really got hit out of nowhere ?

by Anonymousreply 11March 31, 2020 9:40 PM

Howard Stern was great today talking about Trump reacting to the crisis.

by Anonymousreply 12March 31, 2020 9:43 PM

Trump looks so stupid standing next to graphs

by Anonymousreply 13March 31, 2020 9:51 PM

Anyone else thinking that "Dorothy" or whatever Trump calls her got some fashion advice over the weekend? Very YSL and no more Ma Walton.

by Anonymousreply 14March 31, 2020 9:51 PM

How did businesses survive in China? are they all bankrupt now?

by Anonymousreply 15March 31, 2020 9:51 PM

Dr. Becky Scarf having her runway moment

by Anonymousreply 16March 31, 2020 9:54 PM

🙉 Dr. Scarface

by Anonymousreply 17March 31, 2020 9:57 PM

Get Ziploc bags, r7, and dispose of that germ laden pizza box.

You really had to ask ?

by Anonymousreply 18March 31, 2020 10:06 PM

That's Ralph Lauren Birx is wearing; no not his actual body, his clothing line.

I've purchased enough off-the rack, mass produced Lauren to know it when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 19March 31, 2020 10:09 PM

Trump is so fucking stupid. He doesn’t know how to be anything but a game show host.

by Anonymousreply 20March 31, 2020 10:13 PM

OP yes he was hot, exactly my type physically.

And GREAT film, I bought it on DVD. Up there with 2001 Space Odessey

by Anonymousreply 21March 31, 2020 10:13 PM

✂️ If I designed Ralph Lauren scarves for Dr. Birx, there would actually be a genuine snippet of Ralph around her neck.

by Anonymousreply 22March 31, 2020 10:17 PM

3/10, OP

No quotation, no poll.

Perhaps I will start a rival thread like I did for the Madonna fanboy who made Thread 28 1.0

My threads so far have been - World War C, Apocalypse Soon, London Kills Me and the current Part 28, The Corona Strain.

You are a dunce.

by Anonymousreply 23March 31, 2020 10:19 PM

At least 770 dead today in the US

They are many reports of spring breakers bringing the virus back to their hometowns

Stock market meh about stimulus

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2020 10:23 PM

No one gives a shit about you R23 and your threads. The story is the important issue, but who starting a fucking thread, what the title was or if there was some fucking poll. Get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2020 10:26 PM

Massachusetts and Florida keep flipping back and forth today for which state has more confirmed cases

keep in mind Massachusetts had 1 of the earliest cases and started testing earlier. Florida has quickly caught up

Florida gonna be a real hell hole in the next couple weeks with De Santis fucking things up

at least Baker in Massachusetts is a more reasonable repub

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2020 10:28 PM

Pence.... I actually feel embarrassed for him... he cannot start a sentence without praising that fart. He must either fear Nikki Hailey that much or Trump beats him.

by Anonymousreply 27March 31, 2020 10:29 PM

but should have been *not

by Anonymousreply 28March 31, 2020 10:29 PM

Trump: This is going to be a very rough two week period, advises widespread use of tampons

by Anonymousreply 29March 31, 2020 10:30 PM

Hey, I suggested that film title many threads ago. Thanks.

Klaatu barada nikto cuomo!

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2020 10:31 PM

Gowns by Travilla.

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2020 10:32 PM

Pence has to suck up to and grovel under Trump, that is their covenant

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2020 10:32 PM

so Pence likes being a sub.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2020 10:35 PM

If the polls make others happy why not? As for myself I don’t see the point since I can vote more than once.

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2020 10:39 PM

Maybe he harbors a fantasy that he will be the nominee in 2024? Strange sycophant

I can’t handle the whiplash of Trump’s changing moods -from hoax to proud announcer of death

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2020 10:41 PM

Speaker Pelosi Calls On Trump To Implement Defense Production Act | Morning Joe | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 31, 2020 10:43 PM

Kennedy Center boss tells staff $25M coronavirus handout won’t save them

WASHINGTON — Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts executives lobbied lawmakers for a $25 million handout in the massive coronavirus stimulus package signed into law by President Trump last week but were planning to lay-off staff regardless, leaked audio of an internal conference call reveals.

In the March 26 call, KCPA President Deborah Rutter told more than 200 employees at the Washington, D.C. cultural institution to brace for lay-offs, pay cuts and furloughs despite receiving a large carve-out in the $2 trillion emergency economic bailout for Americans and businesses financially devastated by the outbreak, which made headlines last week.

Rutter revealed how the organization deployed a lobbyist to push Capitol Hill lawmakers to include them but said it would not help with staff retention because they were already running out of cash, according to the audio first reported by One America News’ Jack Posobiec.

“We are really grateful for this $25 million, but I will tell you that it does not keep us whole,” Rutter said, acknowledging the bailout had made them “the target for a lot of unhappy people who believe we are taking the money away from sick people.”

Staff at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts were informed that many of them would be losing their jobs because the financial situation at the arts organization was so dire.

“This $25 million does not allow us to maintain our current structure,” Rutter said on the call. “If we had not received any cash and everything had stayed exactly as it is today, no changes, we would draw fully on the line of credit, we would be out of cash on May 15.”

In an email Tuesday, the organization confirmed 725 part-time staff had been impacted and another 60 percent of the center’s full-time administrative staff would also be furloughed until at least May 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 31, 2020 10:47 PM

🐒 So you're the viral source of those crappy thread titles, r23 !

by Anonymousreply 38March 31, 2020 10:50 PM

Trump now appears to actually believe he didn’t dick around... his wonder at people advising him to ride it out... he’s... phenomenal. I’m just... wow with him. There’s never been anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2020 10:50 PM

🤥 It's a beautiful thing r39.

A really, really beautiful thing.

by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2020 10:52 PM

ESPN’s Patrick McEnroe tests positive for coronavirus

Patrick McEnroe is the latest sports figure to reveal he has tested positive for coronavirus.

The former tennis player and current ESPN broadcaster on Tuesday said he went to a drive-through testing site in Westchester County and just got the results back that showed he has COVID-19.

“That’s the bad news,” McEnroe, 53, said in a video posted to his Twitter account. “The good news is I feel fine. My symptoms have passed. I feel really 100 percent. My wife Melissa is doing an unbelievable job taking care of the house, taking care of the kids and myself. We’ve been on full quarantine, our entire household, for well over two weeks now. I encourage everyone to do the same. Let’s get this thing. Let’s nail this thing.”

McEnroe said he has been in his basement for 11 days after experiencing “some minor symptoms.” But now that he is feeling better, he is encouraging others to do what they can to help in the battle against coronavirus.

“I’m an example of someone that’s been able to fight through it and I’m doing absolutely fine,” said McEnroe, the youngest brother of Hall of Famer John McEnroe. “Thoughts and prayers to all those people who are struggling with this. We gotta do our part. We gotta listen. And we gotta stay home.

“Love you everybody out there and thanks for the support.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2020 10:54 PM

How am I supposed to have a honey-baked ham this Easter? I always have a big, beautiful ham for Easter.

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2020 10:55 PM

$25 million for the Kennedy Center?

Are they considered "life sustaining?"

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2020 10:55 PM

^Who knew it was that easy to get $25m if you just hire a Washington lobbyist. Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2020 10:57 PM

[quote]Trump now appears to actually believe he didn’t dick around... his wonder at people advising him to ride it out... he’s... phenomenal. I’m just... wow with him. There’s never been anything like it.

"Everyone was saying to ride it out."

LOL. I'm breathless at his chutzpah. I mean, you really gotta hand it to the guy...

by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2020 10:58 PM

The money went to businesses that were affected by the coronavirus R43.

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2020 10:59 PM

R46 Ballet companies, recording artists, actors, and poets.

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2020 11:06 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME - MARCH 31 - 7:10 PM EST

🖍️ NATIONAL CRAYON DAY

🌐GLOBAL

CASES: 854,611

DEATHS: 42,043

CRITICAL: 32,280

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 186,046

DEATHS: 3,807

CRITICAL: NOT UPDATED @ 3981

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2020 11:10 PM

Feeling sad. The first death today in my rural county. Forty-four year old mother who worked in law enforcement. I have a family member in law enforcement and the virus has hit their ranks hard. He feel it's not a matter of "if" but "when." I know there are asshole cops out there but many are heroes.

I simply can't imagine how hard it is to be a New Yorker right now. My sympathies to all of you who are sick or are coping with fragile friends and family members, and to those who have lost someone.

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2020 11:11 PM

Gavin Newson loves me. And he's handsome, so it really means something.

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2020 11:12 PM

Deadline White House with Nicolle Wallace 3/31/20[NEW] | Nicolle Wallace MSNBC News April 30, 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2020 11:16 PM

Thanks for the new thread.

The imposter that started chapter 28 an hour after someone had already created a thread earlier deserves to be red tagged.

by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2020 11:22 PM

I know (or at least know of) a whole bunch of evangelicals and they are in two camps:

"its still a liberal hoax being blown out of proportion by the media, in the end the death rate will be 0.15%, they just want to destroy Trump"

and "THIS IS THE END TIMES RIGHT NOW, GET RIGHT WITH THE LORD!"

by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2020 11:23 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 31, 2020 11:29 PM

USA - 709 deaths so far today

by Anonymousreply 55March 31, 2020 11:30 PM

Sex and the City was on TV earlier today and I realized that Cynthia Nixon was running for governor in NY. Can you imagine her being governor and handling this crisis right now?

by Anonymousreply 56March 31, 2020 11:38 PM

Is Sylvia Fowler a lesbian? Transgender woman? Frau? Effeminate gay guy?

by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2020 11:41 PM

michael rennie WAS HOT! like a sexy patrician suburban father...

loved his turn as "the sandman" on the old 60s batman tv show.. definitely one of the most homoerotic (and that's saying something since every episode was homoerotic!) episodes ever.

by Anonymousreply 58March 31, 2020 11:42 PM

They laughed at Noah, but I'm building an Ark with a high tech filtration and ventilation system.

Just in case ...........

by Anonymousreply 59March 31, 2020 11:52 PM

R45 “Ride it like a cowboy!”

by Anonymousreply 60March 31, 2020 11:53 PM

Polio Vaccine on a Sugar Cube !

by Anonymousreply 61March 31, 2020 11:53 PM

Vhat yoo meenz, thurtee dayz too slo my spread ?

by Anonymousreply 62April 1, 2020 12:00 AM

Andrew Cuomo’s nipples take our minds off coronavirus

Andrew Cuomo looks like he’s ready for action — at a Jersey Shore night club.

The governor set the internet on fire Tuesday with wild speculation that two bizarre protrusions seen poking out from under his shirt were actually nipple rings.

Twitter and Reddit users furiously debated just what was going on under Cuomo’s official white polo — but his spokesman threw a big bucket of cold water on the idea that the 62-year-old public servant was into some wild piercing.

“Of course not, sorry Internet,” senior aide Rich Azzopardi told The Post.

The denial came after users, keeping abreast of the gov’s daily coronavirus briefings, spotted the apparent jewelry through his “State of Emergency” shirt.

“Is it just me or is Cuomo’s nipple totally pierced?,” read one tweet on Saturday, which turned into a Reddit thread that attempted to get to the bottom of the issue.

“There’s definitely something going on under there,” one user wrote, with another dubbing the possible piercings “the single greatest discovery by humanity.”

“If it is, I like him even more.”

Some cyber-sleuths tried to find alternate theories, like maybe Cuomo tapes his nipples to prevent chaffing, or that they are unusually shaped.

Or maybe it was just a bit nippy that day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 1, 2020 12:09 AM

CV Freakout 30: Suddenly, Last Bummer?

by Anonymousreply 64April 1, 2020 12:17 AM

[quote]In Paris, couples had less than 16 hours to assess their relationship status before the lockdown kicked in and police began doling out fines to anyone caught outside homes without a valid excuse. Early results: mixed.

by Anonymousreply 65April 1, 2020 12:19 AM

Acosta on CNN says he’s “never seen Trump like this.” Says he’s been covering Trump for years and thinks he’s scared. And other people in the room tonight thought so too.

by Anonymousreply 66April 1, 2020 12:21 AM

Because I refuse to watch this daily dump fire, I didn’t hear Acosta’s roundup r66. What else did he say? Was he referring to reporters when he mentioned other people? What are the signs he’s referring to? Any other stuff you can remember?

by Anonymousreply 67April 1, 2020 12:27 AM

What did Accosta mean by that, R66? How was he different?

by Anonymousreply 68April 1, 2020 12:27 AM

Probably realized things going out of control would be bad for his reelection numbers.

by Anonymousreply 69April 1, 2020 12:29 AM

Trump's "Oh, fuck!" milestone today: that more people died from the "China Virus" than on 9/11, you know, that day he saw thousands of Muslims celebrating the fall of the Twin Towers and the death of all the people in them.

That may have been what Acosta was recognizing.

by Anonymousreply 70April 1, 2020 12:40 AM

R67 R68 I didn’t catch his whole report (on AC 360) but he said being in the room tonight (at Trump’s 5:30 daily update) he thought Trump seemed really scared and it was a big change from what he’s seen before at these things. And that other reporters in the room thought so too.

by Anonymousreply 71April 1, 2020 12:42 AM

I haven't watched orange turd either...it's torture for me...

by Anonymousreply 72April 1, 2020 12:43 AM

I wonder if this is the moment where being President stopped being a game to him.

Aside from the number of deaths, I wonder what changed. Unless Ivanka is sick, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 73April 1, 2020 12:44 AM

[quote]Florida continues to show an acceleration in new #COVID19 cases, with Miami as one of a number of epicenters of spread. The state was probably heavily seeded at some point in early/mid February given pace of the case growth, which suggests there are multiple expanding clusters.

^^Spring break

by Anonymousreply 74April 1, 2020 12:44 AM

Trump also has mentioned he has a close friend who is in critical condition from COVID-19 right now. Like most narcissists, our situation is finally hitting him because it's now directly affecting him.

by Anonymousreply 75April 1, 2020 12:48 AM

Trump is lying; he doesn't have friends. He has flunkies and fans who massage his malignant ego, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 76April 1, 2020 12:51 AM

The Big Apple’s coronavirus death toll topped 1,000 on Tuesday afternoon — with 164 people succumbing to the illness since the morning, city data shows.

The increase in fatalities from this morning’s death toll of 932 brought the number to 1,096.

That means at least 1,095 people have fallen victim to COVID-19 in the little more than two weeks since March 14, when the first death was reported in the Big Apple.

Some 41,771 people had been infected in the five boroughs as of 5 p.m. on Tuesday. The first case was reported March 1.

Queens remained the hardest-hit borough with 13,869 cases, followed by Brooklyn at 11,160 and The Bronx with 7,814. Manhattan had 6,539 and Staten Island 2,354.

At least 8,549 people have been hospitalized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77April 1, 2020 12:57 AM

I think Ivanka might have it.

by Anonymousreply 78April 1, 2020 12:58 AM

28 Texas students contract coronavirus after spring break trip to Mexico

Twenty-eight spring breakers from The University of Texas at Austin have contracted coronavirus following a trip to Mexico, health officials said.

The infected students were among a group of 70 people in their 20s who flew down to Cabo San Lucas on a chartered plane about a week and a half ago, the city of Austin said in a statement Tuesday.

The coronavirus-stricken students are self-isolating, while dozens of others who were possibly exposed are being monitored, the city said.

Some of the spring breakers returned to Texas on separate commercial flights.

The university and Austin public health workers have contacted every “spring breaker onboard the plane using flight manifests from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention,” the city’s statement said.

The Mexican state where Cabo San Lucas is located, Baja California Sur, had reported 13 coronavirus cases through Monday, Mexican health ministry data shows.

The country as a whole has confirmed just over 1,000 cases of coronavirus and 20 deaths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79April 1, 2020 12:58 AM

'what I think will happen is the blue areas will get a handle on it but then the red areas will have major outbreaks with deplorables not taking it seriously'

This is so stupid. NYC is bright blue and it has 36k cases.

by Anonymousreply 80April 1, 2020 12:59 AM

[quote]Trump also has mentioned he has a close friend who is in critical condition from COVID-19 right now.

This “friend who is in a COMA” is just another one of his confabulations that he repeats over and over, like the military general who came to him on his first day in office and said “Sir, we have no ammunition.” I don’t know if he even knows the difference between truth and fantasy at this point, he is that disordered.

by Anonymousreply 81April 1, 2020 12:59 AM

Sorry if I am cynical, but this is just Trump acting sad for sympathy. He is a psychotic narcissist and is not an empathetic person.

by Anonymousreply 82April 1, 2020 1:00 AM

Is his story includes anyone calling him “Sir” it’s automatically a lie. That’s one of his known tells.

by Anonymousreply 83April 1, 2020 1:02 AM

of course it's not sincere. Trump doesn't give a shit

he's trying to at least temporarily appear serious and concerned because it will boost his poll numbers

by Anonymousreply 84April 1, 2020 1:05 AM

Trump’s friends are the pillow man, Miss Lindsey, Sean Hannity and Jeanine Pierno.

by Anonymousreply 85April 1, 2020 1:06 AM

and don't forget the drug cheat, arod.

by Anonymousreply 86April 1, 2020 1:10 AM

Trump has never had a true friend in his life.

by Anonymousreply 87April 1, 2020 1:12 AM

ARod is a Trumper?

JLo is a Democrat

by Anonymousreply 88April 1, 2020 1:14 AM

Have New Orleans, Miami, or Atlanta been practicing social distancing? It seems like any of those could explode.

by Anonymousreply 89April 1, 2020 1:19 AM

R88 Trump bragged about calling up A Rod last week so apparently yes.

by Anonymousreply 90April 1, 2020 1:20 AM

Chris Cuomo seems freaked out, but not as freaked out as Sanjay Gupta. That’s the most worried I’ve ever seen him. And when Chris said he felt tightness in his chest, Sanjay practically had a heart attack. He told Chris to talk to him later. If he’s having trouble breathing, he is already in the shit. Luckily he’s in good shape. Hope he’s okay.

by Anonymousreply 91April 1, 2020 1:22 AM

Anyone else a bit pissed that Cuomo is asking for health care providers from other places to come to New York? I understand that they are in desperate need but everywhere else kind of needs their health care providers, too.

by Anonymousreply 92April 1, 2020 1:30 AM

Remember when Trump trotted out all those CEOs to talk about the wonderful things they were “partnering” on?

[quote]Trump announced in mid-March that the government was partnering with private companies to set up drive-through testing sites in parking lots. Today HHS confirmed there are only five locations. And none are open to the general public.

by Anonymousreply 93April 1, 2020 1:40 AM

R92, no, because NY has it worse than anybody else. And when they turn the corner, probably about three weeks, they can go home.

by Anonymousreply 94April 1, 2020 1:45 AM

And this friend in the China Coma. Beautiful guy. Beautiful. And he came to me. Came to me in his coma. He came to me with tears in his eyes and he said. He said to me, "Mr. President, sir..." With tears, okay? Big, beautiful tears. In the China Coma, he said to me, with tears, "Sir, please, Mr. President, sir, no one has ever been prouder to be in a China Coma under your beautiful reign, sir. No one. It's a beautiful thing, sir. Thank you, Mr. President. Thank you. Beautiful."

by Anonymousreply 95April 1, 2020 1:48 AM

R92 I’m wondering about all those retired health care workers being asked to ‘volunteer’ their services. Like how does that work for some 60-something retired nurse or doctor who hasn’t worked in years and whose license or registration may have lapsed (like me for example.) Do they just truck on up to NYS and jump on in at some hospital taking care of highly infectious patients (without masks to wear)? Do the hospitals vet these people, check their references etc? And what about licensing of out of state ‘volunteers’? I have so many questions.

by Anonymousreply 96April 1, 2020 1:49 AM

Drug news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97April 1, 2020 1:49 AM

96 they said today that the health care workers were checked to see if they had current licenses and if they had marks against them. Is so they were removed from their lists

by Anonymousreply 98April 1, 2020 1:52 AM

I fear this is a plague against mankind because we can be such assholes and GOD is fed-up with our shit! It is the modern era's Great Flood from Noah. Also, Trump and Cuomo are like Pharaoh and Moses with the plague (Covid-19) and "Let My People Go!" is now "Let the Ventilators Go!"

I know MARY! and atheists will strongly disagree. That's fine! I am just a drunk former Catholic school gay watching this crazy shit unfold!

by Anonymousreply 99April 1, 2020 1:54 AM

R98 So anyone with a license and a pulse is good to go then? How reassuring. Guess it’s better than no one.

by Anonymousreply 100April 1, 2020 1:55 AM

r96 the above post was for you. They are trying to cancel any interstate prohibitions so they can work immediately in NY. They are also only using them as a last resort and they are taking the ones closest to the state of NY first.

by Anonymousreply 101April 1, 2020 1:55 AM

Florida time-bomb

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 1, 2020 1:58 AM

R101 Well I guess they could park me next to a ventilator patient in the ICU and I could muddle through. It’s like riding a bike, right?

by Anonymousreply 103April 1, 2020 1:59 AM

Larry David’s message to all the idiots out there: “GO HOME. WATCH TV.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104April 1, 2020 2:03 AM

I think the point is to have the retired health care providers take over the non-corona virus related work a little bit to free up the current staff.

by Anonymousreply 105April 1, 2020 2:04 AM

New York’s new nurses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106April 1, 2020 2:08 AM

[quote]R469 (previous thread) Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Tuesday blamed the Democrats’ push to impeach President Trump in January for distracting the Trump administration from the threat posed by coronavirus.

What’s ridiculous about that claim is Mr. Trump and his admin. refused to testify etc. in the hearings - so how distracted could they be by their involvement “? It’s not like they were actively engaged in the impeachment process at all.

They refused to participate.

by Anonymousreply 107April 1, 2020 2:13 AM

Fauci on MSNBC right now: “We don’t need people on the beach frolicking.” Savannah Guthrie trying to pin him down on why there is no stay in place order on the Federal level. “Everyone should follow the President’s guidelines.” I feel bad for him trying to clean up after Dump.

by Anonymousreply 108April 1, 2020 2:15 AM

Can you imagine how this was in 1918? No TV, no internet. No radio even. The only way to get news was the newspaper or going into town and you could die from either. Imagine spending months at home, scared to go out, with no contact with anyone but your family on the farm.

If it wasn’t for TV and internet, people would be having non-stop panic attacks.

by Anonymousreply 109April 1, 2020 2:15 AM

R109: They still are (or will be)

by Anonymousreply 110April 1, 2020 2:17 AM

R105 You don’t know that anyone isn’t a corona patient though. Anyone can shed the virus, even asymptomatic people. That would be the danger, getting complacent about “only taking care of the non-covid patients.”

by Anonymousreply 111April 1, 2020 2:19 AM

Cuomo has saggy man boobs.

It happens at his age.

by Anonymousreply 112April 1, 2020 2:42 AM

Trump has a history of inventing alter egos, which makes me think that his sick friend (who he described as being overweight), and the person who told him that Ny hospital workers are stealing masks, are both imaginary.

It's come to that. We have a president with invisible playmates.

by Anonymousreply 113April 1, 2020 2:43 AM

Can we use song lyrics for thread titles?

Coronavirus Freakout Thread 29: Dancing Queens Under Quarentine

🎵You are the dancing queen

Quarentined

Fuck Covid nineteen!

You can dance, you can jive

As long as you're staying inside🎵

by Anonymousreply 114April 1, 2020 2:50 AM

^^^ or thread 30 as it were

by Anonymousreply 115April 1, 2020 2:51 AM

Comparing/contrasting with the 1918 Spanish Flu

Some Major Points

[quote] The rapid movement of soldiers around the globe in World War 1 was a major spreader of the disease. The entire military industrial complex of moving lots of men and material in crowded conditions was certainly a huge contributing factor in the ways the pandemic spread.

[quote] British government officials knew that quarantines and lockdowns were the best way to fight the disease. But they wouldn’t risk crippling the war effort by keeping munitions factory workers and other civilians home. The relentless needs of warfare justified incurring the risk of spreading infection and Britons were encouraged to simply “carry on” during the pandemic.

[quote] The public health response to the crisis in the United States was further hampered by a severe nursing shortage as thousands of nurses had been deployed to military camps and the front lines. The shortage was worsened by the American Red Cross’s refusal to use trained African American nurses until the worst of the pandemic had already passed.

[quote] They were developing a vaccine for the bacteria that they thought was causing the disease. But the disease was actually caused by a virus which couldn't be seen by the microscope technology at that time. "Millions of dollars were invested in state-of-the-art labs to develop techniques for testing for and treating the strain of bacteria (H. influenzae), all of it for naught."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116April 1, 2020 2:51 AM

Some side effects of the Quarantine (Blomberg.com, 3/31/20)

[quote] China’s Divorce Spike Is a Warning to Rest of Locked-Down World- Filings started rising in March as couples emerged from quarantine.

[quote] One woman explains this about her husband after quarantine: "He’s the troublemaker in the house. I don’t want to endure it anymore. We’ve agreed to get a divorce, and the next thing is to find lawyers.”

by Anonymousreply 117April 1, 2020 3:09 AM

I wonder how many billionaires bought ventilators for them and their families and are hoarding them in their mansions or yachts.

by Anonymousreply 118April 1, 2020 3:12 AM

Damn, and there goes my summer.

by Anonymousreply 119April 1, 2020 3:16 AM

[quote]loved his turn as "the sandman" on the old 60s batman tv show.. definitely one of the most homoerotic (and that's saying something since every episode was homoerotic!) episodes ever.

He also played The Keeper in a two-part, first-season episode of the original "Lost in Space."

by Anonymousreply 120April 1, 2020 3:19 AM

From the last thread, I thought it needed repeating.

“ Cupcake culture. Too many women as gatekeepers and decision makers from the top down. In my opinion, we're seeing the results of their having risen to their levels of incompetence. They are passive, breathless, and mostly impotent. If more men were in control -- in a traditional, testosterone-driven, kick-ass, take-no-prisoners culture -- we'd see a lot more being done to deal with Covid-19 and more being done faster. In fact, we would have been better prepared to deal with this disaster in the first place, in my opinion. I will further add that Trump would have been removed from his office post-impeachment in such a culture.”

by Anonymousreply 121April 1, 2020 3:24 AM

R119: Yeah, no gay pride NYC, probably...😔. I am going to *partay* my ass off in the NYC Halloween parade to make up for it (if we're not dead yet, that is)🌈

by Anonymousreply 122April 1, 2020 3:25 AM

You were incorrect, R121.

by Anonymousreply 123April 1, 2020 3:29 AM

Seems like more are picking up on the deception of the CCP.. We must look into WHO is sending what message Mid January No P2P transmission Feb Masks NOT helpful for general public Droplet only - NOT aresolized Low Risk unless traveled recently from China Early March Not much of risk for general public

WHO still saying not aresolized and masks not helpful

WHY?

by Anonymousreply 124April 1, 2020 3:32 AM

Did anyone see Dr Michael Osterholm on Don Lemon’s show? In case you don’t know who he is, he is a big expert on H5N1 (bird flu), and he’s been doing the shows lately. He’s written a couple of books about this subject. He’s a guy who tells it like it is.

He says the model Trump is using is actually a really optimistic model. There are several other models that people use that tend to be more reliable, like the Harvard model and several others. He says no model is perfect, they’re all estimates, but Trump’s model is an outlier. He says the other models have a consensus that the actual death toll could be more like 1.1 million. At the bottom.

Osterholm is not some crazy person. He’s well respected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125April 1, 2020 3:33 AM

As highly contagious as this thing is, if it mutates into a more lethal strain we’re really fucked.

by Anonymousreply 126April 1, 2020 3:42 AM

That aircraft carrier with the covid outbreak is scary. That virus is gonna spread like wildfire all over that thing.

by Anonymousreply 127April 1, 2020 3:47 AM

R126 is a truthful doomsday truthsayer

by Anonymousreply 128April 1, 2020 3:47 AM

It feels like the novelty and shock of the situation is starting to wear off and mass depression is starting to sink in. You can see how depressed the TV anchors have become in recent days.

Why is nobody talking about the epidemic levels of depression that are about to happen all over the world? What are the effects of that going to be?

by Anonymousreply 129April 1, 2020 4:00 AM

I’m really hoping that these models might not be considering the quarantining and social distancing we’ve taken, which I think is unprecedented in modern times.

by Anonymousreply 130April 1, 2020 4:00 AM

A study just published in Science magazine says between a third and half of covid-19 transmissions occur from pre-symptomatic individuals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 1, 2020 4:01 AM

Thanks for pointing out the Trump models may be selective based on what sounds best for his re-election. They seem really fixated now on how 100-200K deaths is the goal, in order to avoid 1 to 2 million deaths. First, how did they just roll over and say they are now expecting a large amount of deaths? And second, why on earth should we believe anything they say?

by Anonymousreply 132April 1, 2020 4:06 AM

Coronavirus Freakout 30: 28 Days Later...😷

by Anonymousreply 133April 1, 2020 4:07 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME - APRIL 1 - 12:10 AM EST

🤡 APRIL FOOL'S DAY !

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 858,892

DEATHS: 42,158

CRITICAL: 32,898

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 188,578

DEATHS: 3,890

CRITICAL: 4,576

by Anonymousreply 134April 1, 2020 4:11 AM

R134 so tomorrow possibly 5k deaths and 200k cases

by Anonymousreply 135April 1, 2020 4:15 AM

R106, I just turned 42 and every sixty seconds of that video is like a typical day in my life.

by Anonymousreply 136April 1, 2020 4:15 AM

PS, those projections were available weeks ago. They are not new.

by Anonymousreply 137April 1, 2020 4:17 AM

You’re so right R121, when I look around at American politics, American business, the thing that really stands out is all the women in charge. Good one!

by Anonymousreply 138April 1, 2020 4:20 AM

R121 just wants the attention he didn't get on the last thread. Ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 139April 1, 2020 4:24 AM

A gift for R121....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140April 1, 2020 4:30 AM

Run along, trollina at R121. No one liked your stupid comment the first time.

by Anonymousreply 141April 1, 2020 4:36 AM

Since the asshole declared himself a war-time president, treason is now applicable.

by Anonymousreply 142April 1, 2020 4:37 AM

I guess one good thing about all of this is sexually transmitted diseases rates are going down.

by Anonymousreply 143April 1, 2020 4:38 AM

[quote]He says no model is perfect, they’re all estimates, but Trump’s model is an outlier. He says the other models have a consensus that the actual death toll could be more like 1.1 million. At the bottom.

So that would mean over 4,000 deaths a day until Christmas. Starting tomorrow.

What do I know...but I just don't think that's going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 144April 1, 2020 4:43 AM

These threads were informative, but now have fallen into decay.

by Anonymousreply 145April 1, 2020 4:44 AM

Only in Trump land is 100-200K deaths good news. Think how many lives would have been saved if they had followed South Korea’s model weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 146April 1, 2020 4:48 AM

USA: 912 Deaths 3.30.20

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147April 1, 2020 4:50 AM

We're #1! Even passed Italy. MAGA!!

by Anonymousreply 148April 1, 2020 4:52 AM

R143 maybe we’ll eliminate the Clap.

R145 we’re all going to die by COVID, starvation or uprising, what more is there to say?

by Anonymousreply 149April 1, 2020 4:52 AM

R 149

Nice Try, Lao Che.

by Anonymousreply 150April 1, 2020 4:58 AM

R144 You think this going to be over by Christmas?

by Anonymousreply 151April 1, 2020 5:01 AM

I think it will be an early frost.

by Anonymousreply 152April 1, 2020 5:05 AM

I check the Worldometer numbers frequently and I really wish they'd include populations of countries and states. The stats aren't helpful without knowing how many millions actually live in those places.

They also have a lot of stats about other things but they don't include fentanyl deaths or gun deaths.

You can see other stats on this link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153April 1, 2020 5:08 AM

I'm sick of Hoda Kotb and her sheath dresses even during Covid 19 coverage. Put on a fucking shirt! With sleeves!

by Anonymousreply 154April 1, 2020 5:11 AM

Here's a Vice article about the outstanding response of the HEB grocery chain to early reports of the epidemic. Those of you who read the Datalounge threads in 2017 about Hurricane Harvey might remember Houstonians discussing what a good job the chain did taking care of its customers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155April 1, 2020 5:21 AM

[quote]Only in Trump land is 100-200K deaths good news. Think how many lives would have been saved if they had followed South Korea’s model weeks ago.

No western country could do that.

by Anonymousreply 156April 1, 2020 5:24 AM

R78 Maybe Justin will notice her now!

by Anonymousreply 157April 1, 2020 5:27 AM

[quote]We're #1! Even passed Italy. MAGA!!

Not by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 158April 1, 2020 5:27 AM

R156 They could have brought in nationwide testing and the wearing of facemasks.

by Anonymousreply 159April 1, 2020 5:28 AM

No, I WON"T cover my mouth when I cough. And if you don't like it, I'll shoot you!

[quote] Johnstown police say 53-year-old William Sauro told them he saw Guillermo Alvarez, 56, walking through the Sheetz parking lot “coughing and not covering.”

[quote] Sauro says he advised Alvarez to cover his mouth when he coughed due to “the virus going around,” according to the complaint.

[quote] Instead, Sauro tells cops his comment led to an altercation culminating when Alvarez pulled out a pistol and fired a round into Sauro’s windshield that lodged in the speedometer, according to police.

[quote] Alvarez then fired several more rounds into the front driver side tire, police say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160April 1, 2020 5:29 AM

Anyone else notice how much posting has dropped over the past couple days.

I'm safely indoors. I hear little or no sounds outside, neither people or automobiles. I don't see any neighbors out there. I don't recall the last time I heard a plane fly overhead. I don't see anyone dying around me. I feel strangely untouched as though it's not really happening. But then I turn on the television, or turn on my computer, and the world tells me it's happening out there. Why don't I feel it?

by Anonymousreply 161April 1, 2020 5:34 AM

Downtown New Yorkers ignoring the new guidelines. Daily Mail has a similar story about Harlem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 1, 2020 5:34 AM

Yes, By A Longshot!

Date 03.31.20:

USA Deaths: 912

ITALY Deaths: 837

I am talking about the number of CV deaths, in each county, in one day (fuck the "by population" crap!) This is significant, regardless of how much you try to downplay it.

by Anonymousreply 163April 1, 2020 5:35 AM

When people compare why NY has so many cases when compared to SF, you only have to look at that DM story about idiot New Yorkers ignoring lockdown in Harlem. Then you have even more idiots who congregate to watch a big ship come into the harbor.

by Anonymousreply 164April 1, 2020 5:38 AM

R164: And that is why this pandemic will drag on and on in America...

by Anonymousreply 165April 1, 2020 5:39 AM

Bad behavior @ r160 is going to become the new normal.

Any one still laughing, or calling me Mary because I said this Pandemic was going to change life as we know it forever?

by Anonymousreply 166April 1, 2020 5:40 AM

Time to bring out the fire hoses and crank up the water pressure to break up the crowds.

by Anonymousreply 167April 1, 2020 5:44 AM

[quote]They could have brought in nationwide testing and the wearing of facemasks.

No western country was equipped to do the extensive testing that Korea has done. No one.

Face masks? There's still debate about that.

by Anonymousreply 168April 1, 2020 5:48 AM

[quote]I am talking about the number of CV deaths, in each county, in one day (fuck the "by population" crap!) This is significant, regardless of how much you try to downplay it.

"By population" is not downplaying it.

However, ignoring "by population" is exaggerating it.

It's a horrible statistic either way, but comparing a country of 330 million to one of 60 million is not very intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 169April 1, 2020 5:51 AM

Whose raising Hoda's babies?

Has she gotten tired of them already?

by Anonymousreply 170April 1, 2020 5:52 AM

Twilight Zone Marathon yesterday (today?) was on point. Thank you, Rod Serling

by Anonymousreply 171April 1, 2020 5:59 AM

I have face masks, and I'm going to keep on wearing them. I only go to out for groceries, or to pick up prescriptions, but I'm still going do everything I can to keep safe. I also wear gloves when I'm out, or when getting my mail or a package. And I keep gloves and sanitizer in my pockets, and in my car.

Why would you not want to protect yourself?

by Anonymousreply 172April 1, 2020 6:03 AM

R168 Facemasks protect your mouth and nose from being touched by your hand, they protect other people from asymptomatic spreaders and they protect the wearer from receiving a large viral load which would instantly overwhelm the body's defences.

by Anonymousreply 173April 1, 2020 6:05 AM

Something like this, R96

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 1, 2020 6:06 AM

R126 This virus is mutating slowly and yes, there are ID researchers tracking mutation in real time, including Dr. Charles Chiu from UCSF, our go-to expert here. We're grateful to have biotech industry here that also supports much of the research. As for lethality of SARS-CoV-2, evidence points towards a case fatality rate of between 0.5-1% with risk factors of being elderly and comorbidities.

The anecdotal word in other areas hard hit by this virus is that being overweight appears to be another risk factor, some are thinking maybe due to type 2 diabetes. We've heard that in places low on test kits if you present with certain symptoms consistently with COVID-19 they don't even test you for it. Symptoms include bilateral pneumonia, low or even normal WBCs, lymphopenia, high CRP, but normal level of procalcitonin. If you present with these then it's likely viral and you're treated with presumption of having COVID-19. These symptoms point to viral infection and inflammatory response. Sometimes the really sick patients have both COVID-19 and the seasonal flu at the same time.

Reason why the deaths are climbing or reaching apex now in NYC is due to the lagging effects and not because lockdown and social distancing isn't effective. It is effective and we need to tell idiots in NYC who disregard social distancing to take it seriously or risk fines.

by Anonymousreply 175April 1, 2020 6:07 AM

I think DC is going to see a surge in deaths over the next week or two.

They don't practice what they preach.

Cherry Blossom Festival, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 176April 1, 2020 6:08 AM

⬇️ The Dow has officially suffered it's worst first quarter ever!

by Anonymousreply 177April 1, 2020 6:12 AM

[quote] I’m wondering about all those retired health care workers being asked to ‘volunteer’ their services. Like how does that work for some 60-something retired nurse or doctor who hasn’t worked in years and whose license or registration may have lapsed (like me for example.) Do they just truck on up to NYS and jump on in at some hospital taking care of highly infectious patients

No need to worry. COVD-19 patients will be treated by only the finest retired doctors who haven't worked in years, who are wearing state-of-the-art protective gear designed by Fruit of the Loom. And if any patients have trouble breathing, they'll be hooked up to a ventilator manufactured by the ventilator experts at General Motors.

by Anonymousreply 178April 1, 2020 6:14 AM

It's a pandemic with a slowly mutating virus that we'll most likely have vaccine for next year. Yes it's very serious but so is the panic that goes along with it because what's happening is bad enough without people taking worse case scenario as gospel.

There should be longterm implications and change in our lives. People need more science education in this country, there are simply too many morons starting with Trump. We also need to formulate science-based policies in our government beside our schools. Perhaps think about having a national task force that is not the CDC, but one that solely focuses on emerging outbreaks and anticipate instead of respond to them. Perhaps model it on the task force in Taiwan. All they do is keep track of shit coming from China and surrounding countries, they have research staff stationed in task force centers 24/7 and 365 days a year. Move away from WHO as the authority.

by Anonymousreply 179April 1, 2020 6:25 AM

"The Dow has officially suffered it's worst first quarter ever! "

For some people yes, for some people no. I bought when the market dived and even today I'm up nearly 10%.

by Anonymousreply 180April 1, 2020 6:30 AM

R179 we had a team that worked to anticipate and respond to potential pandemics before they happened...that was the Pandemic Preparedness Team that Obama established and Trump/Bolton dissolved 2 years ago

by Anonymousreply 181April 1, 2020 6:33 AM

[quote] r125 Dr. Michael Osterholm says no model is perfect...

Some models [italic]are [/italic]perfect - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 1, 2020 6:33 AM

[quote] Any one still laughing, or calling me Mary because I said this Pandemic was going to change life as we know it forever?

This is the third time you've asked this since you were shouted down as the huge drama queen you are. You're never going to be vindicated because you can't help being a big fucking MARY. It's who you are. Accept it.

by Anonymousreply 183April 1, 2020 7:03 AM

Who would you rather have caring for you in an overcrowded, understaffed hospital that is running out of equipment and medications...........

A volunteer, whose only prior medical experience is from watching Grey's Anatomy, or a retired nurse with extensive training and on-the-job experience?

Do you think their healing skills disappear as soon as they retire?

Some people are such ungrateful assholes.

by Anonymousreply 184April 1, 2020 7:07 AM

R121 was the cunt who spammed the faux CV thread (#28) with pictures of herself.

by Anonymousreply 185April 1, 2020 7:32 AM

I thought Ebay was also supposed to be cracking down on price gougers. I am seeing tons of N95 masks on sale there for ridiculous prices, anywhere from $10-$35 per mask.

by Anonymousreply 186April 1, 2020 7:50 AM

I hate it when someone rich or lives in a big city that has deliveries for everything says STAY HOME. I have to get food,one place I have to pay a gigantic bill has given me two weeks but when I do I have to pay in person,I’m having a prep for cancer this month and trips to the pharmacy..

My job ‘temporarily’ closed down for two weeks and Thursday will e the deadline..I have no idea what they do since my job is nonessential.

by Anonymousreply 187April 1, 2020 8:29 AM

Why do threads have to be 600 posts long? There have been times on the Oscar threads they have gone way past.

by Anonymousreply 188April 1, 2020 8:35 AM

[quote] Why do threads have to be 600 posts long? There have been times on the Oscar threads they have gone way past.

Because all the idiots who read these on their phones and ipads can't handle any more.

by Anonymousreply 189April 1, 2020 8:50 AM

Wet markets all over China are now open still selling bats and other wildlife for public consumption.

by Anonymousreply 190April 1, 2020 9:02 AM

WE KNOW, r190. It's like the 500th time that's been said and there are at least three threads just on that alone. China sucks, we all agree, except the bots.

by Anonymousreply 191April 1, 2020 9:51 AM

Update for Belgium. +123 deaths (828 total). +1189 new cases (13694 total). This is the highest death toll within 24 hrs. The reported figure for yesterday was higher but included a significant number of deaths that were not counted from previous days

by Anonymousreply 192April 1, 2020 10:26 AM

R164 Most people in SF are not going out. Last time I was out was 10 days ago and I only saw a handful of people on the streets. I will have to go to get some grocery soon but I am dreading it. The supermarket feels like a virus trap with all the people going in and out and most if not all of them not wearing masks which means anyone of them could be leaving some virus in the store.

by Anonymousreply 193April 1, 2020 10:28 AM

CNN-Spain has confirmed 102,136 cases of the virus and the biggest daily rise in coronavirus-related deaths, according to the latest data released on Wednesday by its health ministry. The country saw 864 coronavirus-related deaths in the past 24 hours, pushing up the total number of deaths in the country since the outbreak began to 9,053 people. The total active infections, however, saw a smaller increase than Tuesday -- with 3,470 more cases, making a total of 70,436. It added that 22,647 people have recovered from the virus.

by Anonymousreply 194April 1, 2020 10:36 AM

Apologies if this has already been posted but this is hopeful news. Mayo Clinic/University of Minnesota close to developing an antibody test that would show if someone has already been infected and who could presumably go back out in public on the assumption, still to be proven, that reinfection is far less likely to happen once someone is exposed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195April 1, 2020 10:54 AM

Our future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196April 1, 2020 11:05 AM

R191 did one of those bats fly up your ass and lay it's eggs?

by Anonymousreply 197April 1, 2020 12:02 PM

My grocery store instituted something really clever: a one way street system for the aisles. So no one approaches another, they just follow in the same direction. It supports limiting the number of people in the store at one time.

by Anonymousreply 198April 1, 2020 12:09 PM

No, I was not attracted to Reena.

by Anonymousreply 199April 1, 2020 12:16 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME - APRIL 1 - 8:15 AM EST

🤡 APRIL FOOL'S DAY *

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 876,318

DEATHS: 43,519

CRITICAL: 33,696

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 188,647

DEATHS: 4,059

CRITICAL: 4,576

* ANY RESEMBLANCE TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IS A HAPPY COINCIDENCE

by Anonymousreply 200April 1, 2020 12:18 PM

R195 That's good, but I wonder about how such tests (and any eventual vaccine) would be distributed? I keep imaging vast numbers of people queuing up for vaccines or serology tests, and that's horrifying, but what else can be done? Tests by mail?

by Anonymousreply 201April 1, 2020 12:29 PM

One of the problems with the tests - any test of any kind - is there’s no plan to roll them out. I would love to know, having had a flu experience in February that was worse than the last flu I remember. But I feel the first people who need to know and deserve to know are the health care providers and then the frontline people (ambulance, cops, grocery store workers!) Imagine how things would improve for the ones who could go to work with confidence they can do their jobs without risk to themselves. (That said, a good percentage of the rest would probably run for the hills... but that’s the benefit of knowing... you could staff assign roles according to risk.)

It would really help if we had a federal plan. That carries a lot of weight... it’s hard for a Red state idiot governor to ignore a federal plan.

The same thing with the purchasing dilemma. The governors should band together as a buying block and say to the feds: here’s our buying power. Either you take this thing over for everybody or we’re hiring Bezos and Amazon manage the job for us and then it will be us against you because you wouldn’t fucking act.

by Anonymousreply 202April 1, 2020 12:38 PM

I saw a korean deli selling face mask. it's 2 bucks for 1 single surgical mask. 45 for 2 dozen.

by Anonymousreply 203April 1, 2020 12:46 PM

HEADING FOR DISASTER Sweden’s refusal to enter coronavirus lockdown leaving schools and pubs open ‘will lead to catastrophe’, doctors warn

Daily life is carrying on as normal despite the rest of Europe being in lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, with pubs, schools, restaurants and cinemas all still open.

Sweden has so far seen 4,435 cases of the coronavirus and 180 deaths as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The government says lockdown would lead to an economic disaster.

And although the Scandinavian country's relaxed "wait and see" approach flies in the face of all medical guidance it has no immediate plans to change its liberal ways.

The relaxed measures have raised alarm in the country's medical community.

A petition signed by more than 2,000 doctors, scientists, and professors has now called on the government to get tough and tighten restrictions.

“We’re not testing enough, we’re not tracking, we’re not isolating enough – we've let the virus loose,” said Prof Cecilia Söderberg-Nauclér, a virus expert at the Karolinska Institute.

“They are leading us to catastrophe.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 1, 2020 12:51 PM

Sweden, suddenly thrust into the role of being the Florida of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 205April 1, 2020 12:52 PM

Sweden has great health care and benefits system, they probably want the older ones who collect a lot of benefits to be killed off by the virus...that's what it seems like to me, Italy, Spain, all just letting the old folks die. seems unfair, they paid so much in taxes and contributed so much to society...very sad.

by Anonymousreply 206April 1, 2020 12:56 PM

Some "Sensible Swede" on BBC Radio said this morning that, unlike Southern Europeans, "social distancing" is the normal way of life for emotionally and physically "unavailable" Swedes. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 207April 1, 2020 1:17 PM

Sky News @SkyNews · 7m Coronavirus: 563 more people die with COVID-19 in UK - bringing total to 2,352

by Anonymousreply 208April 1, 2020 1:19 PM

Department of Health and Social Care @DHSCgovuk · 12m UPDATE on coronavirus (#COVID19) testing in the UK:

As of 9am 1 April, a total of 152,979 people have been tested of which 29,474 tested positive.

As of 5pm on 31 March, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 2,352 have sadly died.

by Anonymousreply 209April 1, 2020 1:20 PM

Department of Health and Social Care @DHSCgovuk · 12m UPDATE on coronavirus (#COVID19) testing in the UK:

As of 9am 1 April, a total of 152,979 people have been tested of which 29,474 tested positive.

As of 5pm on 31 March, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 2,352 have sadly died.

by Anonymousreply 210April 1, 2020 1:20 PM

My favorite pointy-haired bariatric surgeon has a new message for the assclown denialists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211April 1, 2020 1:27 PM

CBS News @CBSNews Russia sends plane loaded with medical equipment to the U.S. to help fight the coronavirus pandemic after a call between Russian President Putin and President Trump

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212April 1, 2020 1:28 PM

[quote]"social distancing" is the normal way of life for emotionally and physically "unavailable" Swedes.

I never knew I was Swedish.

by Anonymousreply 213April 1, 2020 1:30 PM

Politico's Natasha Bertrand:

The government has yet to curtail exports by US companies, however—roughly 280 million masks in US warehouses were purchased by foreign buyers on Monday alone, per Forbes. FEMA told us it “has not actively encouraged or discouraged U.S. companies from exporting overseas.”

by Anonymousreply 214April 1, 2020 1:34 PM

Mr. PaFeifer must be a pamillionaire!

by Anonymousreply 215April 1, 2020 1:41 PM

as usual Russia not taking care of it's own. And is the stuff they sent safe?

by Anonymousreply 216April 1, 2020 1:45 PM

That planeload of stuff from Putin will go straight to Red States (LA excepted since it has a Dem governor). The upside for Blue States is: it's all probably defective, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 217April 1, 2020 1:49 PM

I checked Dump Jr.'s Twitter last night and he was asking for donations for the re-election campaign of his "hunting buddy". The nerve he has to ask for donations while millions have just lost their jobs and also for someone who kills these beautiful animals with Dumbass Jr.

Last week he was still obsessed with Hunter Biden and Nancy Pelosi, but know he seems to have moved on to blaming China for everything virus related.

by Anonymousreply 218April 1, 2020 1:51 PM

R218 What were they hunting? Hookers?

Donnie Jr is truly his father's son.

by Anonymousreply 219April 1, 2020 1:59 PM

Why are countries sending their equipment to other countries during a global health crisis? Russia should keep their stuff and prepare for the major outbreak in their country the next couple of weeks. I still don't get why Dumbass sent tons of equipment to China in February which we desperately need now. It's all a big PR show so stop these shenanigans already.

by Anonymousreply 220April 1, 2020 1:59 PM

"[R218] What were they hunting?"

Probably one of these bastards that shoot Lions, Zebras and other innocent animals with Jr. on their Safari trips.

by Anonymousreply 221April 1, 2020 2:12 PM

A San Francisco doctor featured in the Netflix documentary “Pandemic” announced that he and his team have discovered a potential coronavirus cure — which will now be tested by the US military.

Jacob Glanville, who runs the biotech company Distributed Bio, tweeted that the new antibody therapy, which works by “blocking the novel coronavirus from infecting human cells,” is a “candidate cure” for the deadly bug that has swept 180 countries and territories.

“I’m happy to report that my team has successfully taken five antibodies that back in 2002 were determined to bind and neutralize, block and stop the SARS virus,” Glanville told the Radio New Zealand program Checkpoint. “We’ve evolved them in our laboratory, so now they very vigorously block and stop the SARS-CoV-2 [COVID-19] virus as well.”

The antibodies will be sent to the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, which will use them directly against the virus to demonstrate whether they work as intended, FOX News reported. Human trials will come later.

Researchers — aware that COVID-19 “is a cousin of the old SARS” — created “hundreds of millions of versions” of antibodies for that virus, “mutated them a bit, and in that pool of mutated versions, we found versions that cross them over,” Glanville said on the radio program.

“So now we know they bind on the same spot as the new virus, COVID-19,” he continued. “It binds the spot that the virus uses to gain entry into your cells. It blocks that.”

“At this point we know it binds the same spot extremely tightly with high affinity,” the doctor added.

Glanville called the therapy “sort of like a short-term vaccine, except it works immediately.”

“You could give it to a patient who’s sick, experiencing COVID-19, then within 20 minutes of receiving the shot, their body is flooded with those antibodies,” Glanville said. “Those antibodies will surround and stick all over a virus and make it so it’s no longer infectious. You could also give it to a doctor or a nurse or an elderly person and they would then have those antibodies in them that would prevent them from getting infected in the first place.”

The disadvantage, however, is that these antibodies will only protect recipients for 8 to 10 weeks, unlike a true vaccine.

As the military is conducting tests, another laboratory will screen the medication to ensure it is safe for humans, Glanville said.

If all goes well, Glanville’s team — which has partnered with two other companies — will ramp up production of the drug, he said.

Human trials can then begin at the end of the summer.

“That’s a … trial where you give it to a series of 400 to 600 people who are in hospitals experiencing symptoms, and then you watch over the next five to 10 days to see whether it helped or not,” the doctor said.

At the earliest, the drug can be released in September for compassionate use — treating patients with the medication outside clinical trials, Glanville said. This type of use was necessary for medications during the Ebola crisis, he said.

“My feeling is that we should also, in anticipation that that study looks good… we should start scaling up a lot more doses, hundreds of thousands to millions, for the next step — and governments should pay for that,” the doctor said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223April 1, 2020 2:46 PM

R22, reposting David Icke conspiracy bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 224April 1, 2020 2:48 PM

R224, a relative sent me one of his videos! I had to google him to find out who he is.

by Anonymousreply 225April 1, 2020 2:55 PM

SAG-AFTRA Alerts Members To COVID-19 Casting Scam Seeking Nude Videos.

A COVID-19 casting scam has been trolling actors for nude audition videos and their passport information for a fake fashion show in Paris.

“We find it appalling that someone would use this global crisis to take advantage of our members and those who aspire to work under our contracts,” SAG-AFTRA said Tuesday. “It is even more troubling that someone would do so in order to obtain personally identifiable information and nude videos that can be used for nefarious and salacious purposes.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226April 1, 2020 3:16 PM

Sadly, traditional commemerative days are receiving very little media attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227April 1, 2020 3:17 PM

^ Wow, that's awful

by Anonymousreply 228April 1, 2020 3:28 PM

BBC-Wimbledon has been cancelled for the first time since World War Two because of the coronavirus pandemic, the All England Club confirms.The two-week tournament, one of the highlights of the sporting calendar, was due to start on 29 June. The entire UK grass court season has also been abandoned, including tournaments at Queen’s, Eastbourne, Nottingham and Birmingham.

by Anonymousreply 229April 1, 2020 3:30 PM

It's literal violence, r227.

by Anonymousreply 230April 1, 2020 3:52 PM

Surprise, the coronavirus testing site Trump promised has been mysteriously scrapped

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231April 1, 2020 3:57 PM

[quote] That's good, but I wonder about how such tests (and any eventual vaccine) would be distributed?

For the vaccine, they'll give it to people over 65 first, and then work down from there age-wise. Medical workers and first responders will also get the vaccine first. They won't be able to give it to everybody initially because the demand would be overwhelming and shortages would inevitably occur. If you watched the movie Contagion, they gave out the vaccine by a lottery system based on one's birthday.

by Anonymousreply 232April 1, 2020 3:59 PM

[quote]I wonder how many billionaires bought ventilators for them and their families and are hoarding them in their mansions or yachts.

R118, a ventilator is an invasive medical intervention. It requires intubation (and sedation), and experienced medical staff to attend to the patient. While a wealthy person could conceivably acquire and "hoard" their own medical equipment, they'd also need to have their own medical staff to operate it.

by Anonymousreply 233April 1, 2020 4:11 PM

Meghan Kelly in with the most Faux-Frauey take (from her Montana compound, where she is hiding out, rather than her home in Manhattan):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234April 1, 2020 4:14 PM

Obviously that was just the aftermath of Megyn sitting down.

by Anonymousreply 235April 1, 2020 4:23 PM

r232 wrong -- they'll give it to the rich first, regardless of age, *then* everyone else ranked by age.

by Anonymousreply 236April 1, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]Russia should keep their stuff and prepare for the major outbreak in their country the next couple of weeks.

They already have a major outbreak. Tweets from Russian news outlets have shown them frantically building hospitals in field outside Moscow.

My supervisor is Russian and her surgeon brother Skypes her frequently. He has been performing surgeries without masks for almost a month, and now gloves are running out. She told me they have nothing to really send us and suspects it's propaganda to legitimize Trump's relationship with Putin.

by Anonymousreply 237April 1, 2020 4:29 PM

NYT: As many as 25% of people infected with the coronavirus may not show symptoms, the CDC warns, a startlingly high number that complicates efforts to predict the pandemic’s course and strategies to mitigate its spread.

by Anonymousreply 238April 1, 2020 4:34 PM

For those who were and are still heaping platitudes on Gov. Cuomo, here's the linked article with facts comparing his early inaction to California's Gov. Newsom's proactive actions. Yet it is Cuomo who is out there getting daily coverage and trying to cover up what he did and didn't do in the weeks leading up to the lockdown.

From the article: "New York is playing catch-up. Newsom and his state’s mayors clearly acted earlier than Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio on social distancing measures. San Francisco was one of the first places to shut down all bars, restaurants, and gyms, and it issued a stay-at-home order on March 16, the same day that de Blasio was defending his personal decision to go to the gym and one day after Cuomo, on 60 Minutes, played down the possibility of severe restrictions in New York comparable to Europe’s, saying, “I think actually the more successful you are early on, the less dramatic efforts you have to take later on. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti issued his own citywide shutdown order on March 19, with Newsom following with the nation’s first statewide order that same day. Two days before that, on March 17, Cuomo had resisted calls for a similar shelter-in-place order. “I don’t think shelter in place really works for one locality,” he told CNN. “As a matter of fact, I’m going so far that I don’t even think you can do a statewide policy.”

Also: "But in recent days, it’s become clearer and clearer that Cuomo’s initial response to the crisis lagged behind that of some of his fellow Democratic governors—most notably Washington’s Jay Inslee and California’s Gavin Newsom. Newsom and Inslee both reacted more swiftly and forcefully to the crisis in ways that are saving lives on the West Coast, yet it’s Cuomo who is being hailed as a possible future president and strong national leader." "Still, Newsom’s jargon-filled speech can sound like incomprehensible technobabble compared with Cuomo’s family yarn-spinning and straightforward number-sharing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239April 1, 2020 4:36 PM

R237. Indeed. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, there is a 30% increase in "pnemonia" related deaths for Jan 2020 v. Jan 2019.

by Anonymousreply 240April 1, 2020 4:36 PM

R238, Finland says they have 50% infected without symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 241April 1, 2020 4:36 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME - APRIL 1 - 12:30 PM EST

🤡 APRIL FOOL'S DAY !

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 902,504

DEATHS: 45,299

CRITICAL: 34, 855

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 199,221

DEATHS: 4,373

CRITICAL: 4,888

by Anonymousreply 242April 1, 2020 4:37 PM

This brought me joy.

Ina Garten takes a page from DL Fave Sandra Lee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243April 1, 2020 4:39 PM

NY CV Apex by the End of April

by Anonymousreply 244April 1, 2020 4:43 PM

The 2019-2020 flu season is still ongoing, and it's the influenza A and B types that are also killing over 14,000 so far this season, not COVID-19. Not all viral pneumonia cases are related to COVID-19, but certain places are now treating viral pneumonia as if it is COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 245April 1, 2020 4:43 PM

That is BS ...they get tested for Flu A and B if it comes back negative, then they're tested for COVID 19 ...at least in states where they are testing.

by Anonymousreply 246April 1, 2020 4:45 PM

Yet Prince Charles is now having conversations with old people after 7 days of isolation??? Did everyone miss what happened in China? They blocked roads with massive dirt mounds, welded people in their homes, dragged people out of their homes and threw them into metal containers, sprayed so much disinfectant on the streets that hundreds of birds and animals literally dropped dead. Despite their ridiculously fabricated death count, the TRUTH has ALWAYS been there. Unfortunately, MANY people chose to ignore it. China KNEW. We did nothing. Shame on us.

by Anonymousreply 247April 1, 2020 4:48 PM

What caused the virus? A Trump lover but nice man fixed my car yesterday said the ole someone Chinese ate a bat but an expert said that was a myth

by Anonymousreply 248April 1, 2020 4:49 PM

R247 Charles isn't out socializing with old people, what are you on about?

by Anonymousreply 249April 1, 2020 4:52 PM

R246 If you present with symptoms consistent with viral pneumonia and COVID-19, you get tested for flu and COVID-19 at same time if there are test kits for COVID-19. What they're seeing on the ground at least anecdotally from what we've heard is that there are people who are testing positive for both flu and COVID-19, they're the ones who get very sick and some are even intubated before the critical stage to prevent worsening outcome leading to death.

by Anonymousreply 250April 1, 2020 4:59 PM

Orlando Sentinel:

Florida coronavirus update for Wednesday: Infections could kill nearly 7,000 in Florida; DeSantis defies shutdown advice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251April 1, 2020 5:03 PM

We are really going to go over 200k cases on April Fools Day.

I wouldn’t believe this scenario in a sci-fi book.

by Anonymousreply 252April 1, 2020 5:03 PM

Why Trump Should Urge Stay-At-Home Order In Florida | Morning Joe | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253April 1, 2020 5:04 PM

R249 I was referring to Camilla

by Anonymousreply 254April 1, 2020 5:24 PM

R222

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 1, 2020 5:27 PM

Deaths down. Cases up. Deaths and cases up in Lombardy, the first region to execute a lockdown. So confused

Guardian-The death toll from Covid-19 in Italy has climbed by 727 to 13,155 – the lowest number since March 26. Figures from the Civil Protection Agency show that the number of new cases rose more sharply than a few days earlier, growing by 4,782 compared to 4,053. The total number of infections confirmed in the country since February 21 now stands at 110,574. In the northern region of Lombardy, which is the epicentre of the outbreak, the daily total of both cases and deaths were up compared to the day before, a reverse of the recent trend. On Wednesday, 16,847 people in Italy had recovered from the illness, in comparison to 15,729 people on Tuesday.There were also 4,035 people in intensive care, up from a previous 4,023. Italy has publicly reported more deaths from the coronavirus than anywhere else in the world. It accounts for around 30% of all global fatalities.

by Anonymousreply 256April 1, 2020 5:34 PM

R251 Gov. Ronnie DeTrumptard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257April 1, 2020 5:34 PM

How can a governor not shut down his state? Truly someone who deserves to burn in hell.

by Anonymousreply 258April 1, 2020 5:43 PM

r239, I'm sure the fact that all the major news channels are based in New York has a big influence on which governor would get more coverage.

Does CNN still do anything from Atlanta, or is everything out of New York now? Honestly, I think we'd get better coverage, and the media would be more cognizant of what flyover citizens think, if the three networks were spaced around the country: MSNBC can stay in New York, CNN can move back to Atlanta, Fox can go to Kansas City.

by Anonymousreply 259April 1, 2020 5:43 PM

Florida coronavirus update for Wednesday: DeSantis to issue 30-day stay-home order for Florida

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260April 1, 2020 5:48 PM

I always assumed Morning Joe was a Fox News show.

Was Rennie in Red Shoes or that psycho nun movie?

by Anonymousreply 261April 1, 2020 5:48 PM

Employees at a veteran’s hospital in Holyoke, Massachusetts say that their bosses tried to cover up an outbreak of COVID-19 that has now killed 13 military vets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 1, 2020 5:56 PM

ENOUGH with the stimulus bills!!! It will be difficult enough to properly account for the 500 billion in the last bill allocated for corporate bailouts managed by the REPUBS. Where is all this money coming from? The national debt is currently +25 trillion USD.

CNN-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that Democrats are aiming to pass a fourth coronavirus response bill when — “God willing, coronavirus willing” — Congress returns at the end of April.

“When we come back, we’ll be ready, and that will be when we have the debate and go forward, and hopefully that will be soon,” Pelosi told reporters on a phone call.

Pelosi and other Democratic leaders said Wednesday that they want a potential fourth coronavirus response bill to include their infrastructure framework, which would cost $760 billion over five years. This money would go to community health centers, clean water upgrades, expanded broadband access, roads and bridges, and rail and other forms of public transit.

“We must take bold action to renew America’s infrastructure,” Pelosi said. “We need to invest in our infrastructure to address some of the critical impacts and vulnerabilities in America that have been laid bare by the coronavirus.”

Democrats said they are especially concerned about rural, low income areas that may be hit hard by the pandemic and economic fallout. Rep. Jim Clyburn, the Democratic Whip, said that Covid-19 has “exposed some significant faults,” like how many Americans do not have access to internet, which many kids need to continue their studies during the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 263April 1, 2020 6:21 PM

Here we go

CNN-West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice’s order Tuesday prohibiting elective surgeries state-wide includes abortions, according to West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey

by Anonymousreply 264April 1, 2020 6:24 PM

The Coast Guard is now refusing to allow any cruise ship with COVID cases to dock in any US port

They're telling them to go to the countries to which they're flagged--Bermuda, the Bahamas, Liberia, Panama, and Malta.

The Holland America ships are registered in the Netherlands, so hopefully they'll take the Zaandam. Or one of the islands in the Netherlands Antilles.

by Anonymousreply 265April 1, 2020 6:29 PM

Washington Post:

Protective gear in national stockpile is nearly depleted, DHS officials say

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266April 1, 2020 7:02 PM

Pelosi responds to claim that impeachment distracted Trump from virus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267April 1, 2020 7:04 PM

[quote]Protective gear in national stockpile is nearly depleted, DHS officials say

Where did it go?

by Anonymousreply 268April 1, 2020 7:05 PM

The nurses stole it

by Anonymousreply 269April 1, 2020 7:10 PM

And sell on enternet.

by Anonymousreply 270April 1, 2020 7:34 PM

DeSantis issues a 30 day statewide stay at home order for Florida, finally!

by Anonymousreply 271April 1, 2020 7:41 PM

Stephen Colbert Reveals The Results Of "Suit Or No Suit"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272April 1, 2020 7:41 PM

Excellent work, Governor. You've closed the barn door after the horse has bolted.

by Anonymousreply 273April 1, 2020 7:42 PM

^^ He closed the barn door after the horse has ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 1, 2020 7:48 PM

I may been into meth and male prosties, but I still would have made a better governor than De Santis

by Anonymousreply 275April 1, 2020 8:11 PM

Having another one of those moments right now: this is real. We have no idea when it will end to the extent we are all safe again. It is mind bobbling. This is how we live in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 276April 1, 2020 8:16 PM

CNN-April and the second quarter of the year are not off to a great start: US stocks closed in the red today.

Investors continue to grapple with the fallout from the coronavirus outbreak ahead of more data on the US labor market on Thursday and Friday.

The Dow closed 4.4%, or 974 points, lower. The S&P finished down 4.4%. The Nasdaq Composite also closed down 4.4%.

by Anonymousreply 277April 1, 2020 8:18 PM

BBC

France says that 509 people with coronavirus have died over the last 24 hours. That takes the total number of deaths in hospitals in the country to 4,032. The latest daily figure is the highest so far - nine more than the previous 24 hours

by Anonymousreply 278April 1, 2020 8:23 PM

When does the Orange Shit Stain appear on my TV?

by Anonymousreply 279April 1, 2020 8:42 PM

Japan has closed foreigners from over 70 nations from entering the country indefinitely. Japanese nationals arriving back to Japan from China and South Korea are further restricted. Why is the US still allowing non-Americans to still fly into the country is beyond reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280April 1, 2020 8:43 PM

Seriously? Shooting ranges? The US is completely fucked

CNN-As states around the country issue "stay-at-home" orders amid the coronavirus pandemic, firearm and ammunition retailers have been designated an "essential service," according to updated guidance from the federal government. Christopher Krebs, director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, identified "firearm and ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges" as critical infrastructure in the updated "Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce" advisory, which was issued over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 281April 1, 2020 9:07 PM

OMG - New York is out of control. Is it primarily hitting old people? All my friends in their 50’s seem okay. Hang in there.

Gavin Newsom is doing a great job for CA. He would make a great president one day.

by Anonymousreply 282April 1, 2020 9:07 PM

R276....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283April 1, 2020 9:10 PM

NYT: New York City's empty hotel rooms (85 percent are unoccupied) are going to be used as hospital rooms for those who don't need ICU, says head of city's public hospital system.

Plan calls for 10,000 beds across 20 hotels.

by Anonymousreply 284April 1, 2020 9:11 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME - APRIL 1 - 5:15 PM EST

🤡 APRIL FOOL'S DAY !

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 928,072

DEATHS: 46,498

CRITICAL: 34,944

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 211,143

DEATHS: 4,713

CRITICAL: 5,005

by Anonymousreply 285April 1, 2020 9:17 PM

Will Trump donate his hotel rooms?

by Anonymousreply 286April 1, 2020 9:19 PM

Some levity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287April 1, 2020 9:20 PM

My birthday is next week and I would actually love that cake. Any idea who made it, R287?

by Anonymousreply 288April 1, 2020 9:29 PM

[quote]facemasks protect the wearer from receiving a large viral load which would instantly overwhelm the body's defences.

Would you please quit with the “large viral load” crap, R173? It DOES NOT MATTER “how many” viruses you ingest. If you’re exposed to ANY concentration of viruses you will be infected. There is no threshold above or below which the body’s defenses will be “instantly overwhelmed.” This is not HIV/AIDS where ‘viral load’ is relevant.

by Anonymousreply 289April 1, 2020 9:31 PM

One of the local pastors in my town has announced that he plans on holding church services on Palm Sunday, and will continue to do so weekly, even though we are under a stay-at-home order. He wants us 'to all get along" but he's been a shit stirrer in the community for years. He doesn't care if he's violating the order, he's gonna do it anyway. He says he'll possibly reconsider if the state governor calls him personally, but he's not making any promises. I hope their waiting for him Sunday morning, and throw his ass in jail.

by Anonymousreply 290April 1, 2020 9:32 PM

R289 Would you prefer a single 😄 large load ?

by Anonymousreply 291April 1, 2020 9:35 PM

Stopped in to say this is a fabulous title.

Stay safe, everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292April 1, 2020 9:38 PM

We have a stay at home in my state and yet the only ones that are obeying it are stores. There is a painter at this complex doing work. Didn't know painting was an essential service.

by Anonymousreply 293April 1, 2020 9:39 PM

My governor (OK) finally ordered our state to shelter in place. Now that 48 of the 77 counties have cases, the cases have begun reaching the most rural communities, and 30 people have died.

Plenty of people in counties with cases have continued to ignore the regulations, and local officials don't seem to care.

by Anonymousreply 294April 1, 2020 9:40 PM

The liquor stores in PA have been shut down, but the governor's office has been bombarded with requests from those pleading that it's less dangerous buying liquor, than shopping in a supermarket or a drugstore.

He politely informed them that they should feel free to go online and order from the website.

by Anonymousreply 295April 1, 2020 9:45 PM

AP: Many Americans are getting through the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic with some extra liquor.

U.S. alcoholic beverage sales rose 55% during the week ending on March 21, according to market research firm Neilsen.

Liquor like gin, tequila and pre-mixed cocktails led the way in the spiked demand, with sales up 75% compared to the same time last year, the report said. Wine sales jumped 66% while beer sales increased 42%.

Many people avoided stores to acquire their booze. Online alcohol sales jumped by 243%, the report said.

by Anonymousreply 296April 1, 2020 9:48 PM

70000? Is that true ? They are using the virus for their own agenda. This asshole gladly kisses Rumps ass. Do people even use cocaine anymore?

by Anonymousreply 297April 1, 2020 9:49 PM

Candy is Dandy

But Liquor is Quicker

by Anonymousreply 298April 1, 2020 9:51 PM

That's from an Ogden Nash poem R298.

by Anonymousreply 299April 1, 2020 9:53 PM

Speaking of Firewater, WHET Liz "Pocahontas" Warren ?

by Anonymousreply 300April 1, 2020 9:58 PM

R248

From the John Hopkins Medicine website:

"How did this new coronavirus spread to humans? COVID-19 appeared in Wuhan, a city in China, in December 2019. Although health officials are still tracing the exact source of this new coronavirus, early hypotheses thought it may be linked to a seafood market in Wuhan, China. Some people who visited the market developed viral pneumonia caused by the new coronavirus. A study that came out on Jan. 25, 2020, notes that the individual with the first reported case became ill on Dec. 1, 2019, and had no link to the seafood market. Investigations are ongoing as to how this virus originated and spread. "

Coronaviruses were already known to exist, it's COVID-19, a new strain of coronavirus that causes respiratory illness, that's caused the pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301April 1, 2020 9:59 PM

It's COVID-19's four month birthday today, the first case being reported on 12/1/19 in Wuhan, China.

It went from one case four months ago to 930,819 cases today at 3:00 pm PST. If those numbers stay at the current rate we'll be at 3,723,276 cases by July 1,

by Anonymousreply 302April 1, 2020 10:04 PM

And possibly 187,124 deaths worldwide. The 1919 flu epidemic killed 600,000 in the US in one year. There was a documentary about it on PBS last night. People died very quickly, it was horrific.

by Anonymousreply 303April 1, 2020 10:06 PM

None of the numbers are comforting.

by Anonymousreply 304April 1, 2020 10:11 PM

We should cancel our national debt with China.

by Anonymousreply 305April 1, 2020 10:14 PM

Trump's claiming to be the most popular person on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 306April 1, 2020 10:17 PM

[quote]None of the numbers are comforting.

Well, R304, think of it this way: 1% of the world's population is 75 million.

So, right now, rounding up the reported cases worldwide (acknowledging that the numbers might not be accurate from all countries) to one million, we're only at 0.0001% of the global population infected. Or "counted" as infected, since there are likely more unreported/untested people who are positive. Still. A long way from 75 million.

And the # of deaths (rounding up to 200K) worldwide is 0.00003% of the global population.

by Anonymousreply 307April 1, 2020 10:23 PM

R289 Dose might have an effect.

High-Dose Coronavirus Infections Should Worry Us More

As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts.

Li Wenliang, the doctor in China who raised early awareness of the new coronavirus, died of the virus in February at 34. His death was shocking not only because of his role in publicizing the developing epidemic but also — given that young people do not have a high risk of dying from Covid-19 — because of his age.

Is it possible that Dr. Li died because as a doctor who spent a lot of time around severely ill Covid-19 patients, he was infected with such a high dose? After all, though he was one of the first young health care workers to die after being exposed up close and frequently to the virus, he was unfortunately not the last.

The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal.

Both small and large amounts of virus can replicate within our cells and cause severe disease in vulnerable individuals such as the immunocompromised. In healthy people, however, immune systems respond as soon as they sense a virus growing inside. Recovery depends on which wins the race: viral spread or immune activation

Virus experts know that viral dose affects illness severity. In the lab, mice receiving a low dose of virus clear it and recover, while the same virus at a higher dose kills them. Dose sensitivity has been observed for every common acute viral infection that has been studied in lab animals, including coronaviruses.

Humans also exhibit sensitivity to viral dose. Volunteers have allowed themselves to be exposed to low or high doses of relatively benign viruses causing colds or diarrhea. Those receiving the low doses have rarely developed visible signs of infection, while high doses have typically led to infections and more severe symptoms

(I'm not going to copy paste the whole thing)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308April 1, 2020 10:32 PM

Looks like nyc cases dropped yesterday. Maybe the numbers are still being reported though??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309April 1, 2020 10:38 PM

Watching this stupid daily presser. The enforced kissing of that lethal fool’s ass is now almost comical. We’re West Korea....

by Anonymousreply 310April 1, 2020 10:46 PM

Ha ha. Dr Tony was a basketball player.

by Anonymousreply 311April 1, 2020 10:48 PM

Good one. West Korea.

by Anonymousreply 312April 1, 2020 10:49 PM

Ali Wentworth tests positive for coronavirus

by Anonymousreply 313April 1, 2020 10:52 PM

He is STILL talking? Ugghh I turned off the tv and thought he would be done by now.

by Anonymousreply 314April 1, 2020 10:52 PM

R308, Wouldn't it make sense to expose people to low-doses of CV so they get mildly sick at most, and then they have immunity to the virus?

by Anonymousreply 315April 1, 2020 10:53 PM

Like Warriors !

Like Soldiers !

Clapping & Cheering !

You can have a Corona Virus, and you don't have to worry about the cost !

Mitigation Strategies !

Tests for EVERYONE !

Medicaid for Underprivileged !

No Isurance & Middle Income ....... Don't know !

Remember the Vulnerable Seniors !

Greatest Answer I've Ever Heard !

Donut Holes in Insurance !

NO, I'M NOT COMMITTING !

by Anonymousreply 316April 1, 2020 10:57 PM

Are red states being hit hard yet?

by Anonymousreply 317April 1, 2020 10:59 PM

Vice-enabler

by Anonymousreply 318April 1, 2020 10:59 PM

Half of Americans think Trump is going a good job. They’re unaware of how he’s fucked up. America is borderline retarded.

by Anonymousreply 319April 1, 2020 11:02 PM

🐒 Poor, dumb Mikey.

He actually thinks he's going places.

by Anonymousreply 320April 1, 2020 11:03 PM

Louisiana governor chats with Trump, gets 150 ventilators. Kiss his ass, get to live. That's Trump.

by Anonymousreply 321April 1, 2020 11:05 PM

Trump just blurts out things that pop into his head; I bet the Pentagon is scrambling over Trump's declaration to build 2 new hospital ships.

by Anonymousreply 322April 1, 2020 11:07 PM

Is he going to be re-elected? Bottom line. Is America that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 323April 1, 2020 11:10 PM

Adam Schlesinger, a musician and songwriter highly regarded for his work as a member of Fountains of Wayne and an Emmy-winning songwriter for TV’s “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” has died as a result of coronavirus complications, “Variety” has confirmed. He was 52.

by Anonymousreply 324April 1, 2020 11:14 PM

R323... I don’t believe so. Somebody posted upthread how his numbers were falling... but more than that, we’re in the heat of it now and the feeling is fear and panic. If they solve, say, the testing problem, they will get credit for that. But that is the heat of the battle.

When we’re out of it... to some extent but far enough out it feels like we’re looking forward with less fear... then other emotions will kick in... grief and anger. And we will all be looking for someone to blame.

by Anonymousreply 325April 1, 2020 11:17 PM

Story time with Samuel L. Jackson

Today’s book: ‘Stay the Fuck At Home.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326April 1, 2020 11:23 PM

I'm not confident about wearing masks made in China after seeing this fuckery. Scroll down to comments and I'm not confident in India as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327April 1, 2020 11:23 PM

R325, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 328April 1, 2020 11:25 PM

What would you give me for a Basket of Fries, Mr. President?

by Anonymousreply 329April 1, 2020 11:32 PM

I just voted on a poll whether or not Rimp is doing a good job. I’m suspicious it may be a trick. One of the questions seemed sketchy. The guy on commercial looked like a classic Republican.

Text GROW to 39747

by Anonymousreply 330April 1, 2020 11:46 PM

Are antivaxxers taking this seriously?

by Anonymousreply 331April 1, 2020 11:46 PM

R317....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332April 1, 2020 11:56 PM

My Royal Caribbean twink is home now, but he's got friends still aboard the ship.

At the time of recording, he knew of 51 cases aboard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333April 1, 2020 11:59 PM

USA will probably reach 1300 - 1400 reported deaths today

by Anonymousreply 334April 2, 2020 12:04 AM

Hah! Trump gets jealous and tries to undermine anyone who speaks longer than him:

US Vice President Mike Pence is speaking now – Trump has asked him to respond to a question regarding the government’s decision not to reopen the Obamacare health exchanges – saying it has been a priority of Trump’s to ensure no American pays healthcare costs related to coronavirus.

Pence is now speaking about how “inspiring” it has been to see American businesses, including private health insurance executives, step up to handle the crisis.

He says two of the largest insurance companies have said they will waive co-pay costs and he expects others to follow.

Trump says that was “one of the greatest answers he’s ever heard because Mike [Pence] was able to speak for five minutes and not answer your [the reporter’s] question.”

by Anonymousreply 335April 2, 2020 12:07 AM

This goes without saying, but I suggest everyone ignore r330's post except to say "YES, IT'S FUCKING SKETCHY, SPAMBOT".

by Anonymousreply 336April 2, 2020 12:12 AM

Trumptards are apparently threatening Fauci.

by Anonymousreply 337April 2, 2020 12:13 AM

Sorry if that's true r336. It was on a commercial airing on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 338April 2, 2020 12:18 AM

Sorry if that's true r336. It was on a commercial airing on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 339April 2, 2020 12:18 AM

Trump is a little bitch. Why are they threatening Fauci? Too rational?

by Anonymousreply 340April 2, 2020 12:26 AM

R77

Not to sound cruel or heartless, but a death toll of 1k out of NYC's total population of easily > 8 million is statistically meaningless.

In contrast 1918 influenza had a much higher mortality rate for NYC.

Again am not dismissing numbers of deaths so far, nor diminishing their impact, especially to family and friends of deceased; but in terms of overall cold numbers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341April 2, 2020 12:30 AM

Apparently, he's part of the deep state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342April 2, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote]question regarding the government’s decision not to reopen the Obamacare health exchanges

They don't have to reopen them. That should have been their fucking answer. You are allowed to sign up during any time of the year if your life circumstances change and that includes loss of a job.

by Anonymousreply 343April 2, 2020 12:38 AM

R343, I think people who didn’t sign up originally for ACA are asking—I.e., those who decided no health insurance was okidoki because the mandate was repealed. Those who lost insurance because they lost their jobs have no issue, they can sign up.

by Anonymousreply 344April 2, 2020 12:44 AM

R341 The 1918 Pandemic went on for two years.

by Anonymousreply 345April 2, 2020 12:45 AM

Chanel Rion got booted from the press room for flouting the rules:

---

This time, it was a fairly routine question that Chanel Rion, a correspondent for One America News Network, posed to President Trump during Tuesday’s White House news briefing: How many clinical trials would it take before a potential coronavirus drug he has touted could be approved? Trump wasn’t sure and turned the question over to Anthony S. Fauci, his infectious-diseases expert.

But the brief Q&A raised its own question: What was Rion doing there in the first place?

Under strict new guidelines jointly imposed last month by White House officials and the White House Correspondents' Association, which represents journalists, access to the cramped briefing room is now restricted to about 15 reporters each day, to enforce social-distancing measures amid the coronavirus crisis, and several smaller news organizations can rotate in only once every several days.

Why are journalists skipping Trump’s daily coronavirus briefing? Not enough news to risk their health.

And it wasn’t OANN’s turn on Tuesday. Nor on Wednesday, when Rion showed up in the room again — prompting the correspondents’ association to vote to remove OANN from the rotation.

“We did this because a reporter for this outlet twice attended press briefings in contravention of this policy,” the board of the WHCA said in a statement late Wednesday. “We do not take this action lightly. This is a matter of public safety.”

Rion and her employer, a tiny conservative cable outlet known as OANN, appear to have gotten special permission from the White House, in violation of the guidelines. The reasons, and the source of the approval, are unclear, but OANN and Rion have a history of reporting favorably about Trump. Rion herself has pushed conspiracy theories that advance his political interests, such as the unfounded allegation that officials in Ukraine secretly manipulated the 2016 election to help Hillary Clinton. Trump, in turn, has tweeted praise of OANN’s reporting dozens of times.

by Anonymousreply 346April 2, 2020 12:53 AM

R345

Yes, and statistics account for first, second and third wave of influenza deaths for NYC.

From above linked article:

"When compared with other large U.S. cities, especially its two largest neighbors, Boston and Philadelphia, New York City did not fare poorly in its overall mortality burden. During the pandemic, New York City's excess death rate per 1,000 was reportedly 4.7, compared with 6.5 in Boston and 7.3 in Philadelphia.2 New York City emerged from the three waves of the influenza pandemic (September 1918 to February 1919) officially recording approximately 30,000 deaths out of a population of roughly 5.6 million due to influenza or pneumonia, 21,000 of them during the second fall wave (September 14 to November 16)."

While still relatively early days, thus far there does not seem to be any indication NYC will see > 20k much less 10k covid related deaths during first nor second wave (if it materializes) of disease.

by Anonymousreply 347April 2, 2020 12:55 AM

Rion, who did not respond to repeated requests for comment, has socialized with the Trumps at Mar-a-Lago, according to photos she has posted on Facebook, and brags on her personal website about having “been aboard the Trump Train from its first week” at the start of the 2016 campaign

At both Tuesday and Wednesday’s briefings, she stood at the back of the press room — and this, too, was a violation of the guidelines: Reporters are required to occupy a seat, with no standing in the aisles or behind the seating area.

WHCA President Jonathan Karl said he alerted White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham and the White House press office on Tuesday that Rion’s presence was “a clear violation” of precautions that have been strictly followed at the White House for weeks.

“The rules are clear,” said Karl, ABC News’s White House reporter. “If you don’t have a seat in the briefing room on your given day, you cannot be there. The rules are established to protect the health of the White House press corps. We’re abiding by the [Centers for Disease Control’s] guidelines.”

Grisham declined to comment on Wednesday.

In an email, OANN founder and chief executive Charles Herring said Rion’s presence “was appropriate” and that she was invited to attend the briefing. He declined to say who invited her or why.

by Anonymousreply 348April 2, 2020 12:55 AM

Stephanie Grisham is a pig. No wait, let me correct that. A drunken pig.

by Anonymousreply 349April 2, 2020 1:01 AM

Man, she's nuts:

In her previous pastime as a political cartoonist, she produced illustrations suggesting that Hillary Clinton was behind the unsolved 2016 murder of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich — an evidence-free conspiracy popular in right-wing circles.

On her website, she calls herself “a fierce foe of anything Clinton, of everything Obama, and as a total and unrelenting enemy of academic left-liberalism and political correctness anywhere.” She is engaged to be married soon to Courtland Sykes, an also-ran in the GOP primary for the 2018 U.S. Senate race in Missouri, who briefly went viral that year with a social media rant blasting feminists as “she devils” with “snake-filled heads” and explaining how he expects Rion to prepare for him “a home cooked dinner at six every night.

by Anonymousreply 350April 2, 2020 1:03 AM

Prime time has been on a lot today, hence the lack of posts

by Anonymousreply 351April 2, 2020 1:05 AM

Coronavirus claims world's youngest victim: Six-week-old Connecticut baby dies after being rushed to hospital unresponsive

The infant was taken to the hospital unresponsive last week and could not be revived. Their death was announced on Wednesday by Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont. No other details were given other than that.

'It is with heartbreaking sadness today that we can confirm the first pediatric fatality in Connecticut linked to #COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 352April 2, 2020 1:11 AM

so reports are the WH is not discouraging US companies from exporting medical supplies rather than focusing on US demands

by Anonymousreply 353April 2, 2020 1:24 AM

Fauci needs to leave that shitshow. Birx is a true cult apologist. She can do the job that Cheeto wants.

by Anonymousreply 354April 2, 2020 1:35 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME 🤡 APRIL FOOL'S DAY - 9:30 PM EST

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 935,571

DEATHS: 47,206

CRITICAL: 35,478

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 215,071

DEATHS: 5,109

CRITICAL: NOT UPDATED @ 5,005

by Anonymousreply 355April 2, 2020 1:36 AM

Rachel shows how dumb some of the red states’ governors are being.

by Anonymousreply 356April 2, 2020 1:38 AM

It’s appearing bigly in red states now.

by Anonymousreply 357April 2, 2020 1:40 AM

What worries me is we are losing a lot of our medical staff. They have been asking for help and have said when they get sick who is going to care for them. I don't know about you, but I don't want them rushing through doctors and nurses.

by Anonymousreply 358April 2, 2020 1:40 AM

R358, what happened in Italy is what we’ll face in a couple weeks. Exactly what you said.

by Anonymousreply 359April 2, 2020 1:45 AM

Mikey Pence should remind the Donald that the virus isn't just killing off Democrats.

Trump's losing voter, too.

by Anonymousreply 360April 2, 2020 1:46 AM

r359, Dr. Peter Hotez was interviewed by Joe Rogan today; he predicts we'll be at Italy levels by the middle of April. It's a very informative interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361April 2, 2020 1:48 AM

'The supermarket feels like a virus trap with all the people going in and out and most if not all of them not wearing masks which means anyone of them could be leaving some virus in the store.'

MARY! Imagine being a terrified spaz like this. I hope you are a frau.

by Anonymousreply 362April 2, 2020 1:50 AM

Thanks to the DLer who suggested this. It was the best coverage I’ve seen and I learned a lot. Thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363April 2, 2020 1:50 AM

NYC has lost officers to The Corona, while hundreds are out sick.

I don't want rioting and looting in the streets. This is going to be the longest, summer ever.

by Anonymousreply 364April 2, 2020 1:50 AM

[quote]so reports are the WH is not discouraging US companies from exporting medical supplies rather than focusing on US demands

Profits are all that matter. Treason for this "wartime" administration.

by Anonymousreply 365April 2, 2020 1:51 AM

All of the administration’s actions need to be discovered and disclosed. Bob Woodward should write a book.

by Anonymousreply 366April 2, 2020 1:53 AM

Why do we have a poster fixated on the fact that this virus probably won't be as terrible as one from over 100 years ago? Who cares. This is going on NOW.

by Anonymousreply 367April 2, 2020 2:01 AM

The supermarket is a viral trap. No one's following the six foot rule, they're too busy reaching over you, practically grabbing goods out is each other's hands, or snatching things from someone else's cart. There's no sense of order until you're standing in line.

Reminds me of the first time I stepped inside Filene's Basement.

by Anonymousreply 368April 2, 2020 2:05 AM

but but but Dr. Drew and Dr. Oz keep going on Fox and saying we're gonna be OK!!!

by Anonymousreply 369April 2, 2020 2:10 AM

Treason is the Reason for the Season, r,365.

Soon it will by like Christmas in July.

by Anonymousreply 370April 2, 2020 2:13 AM

Washington Post:

Social Security recipients who don’t usually file tax returns will automatically get $1,200 payments, Treasury says in reversal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371April 2, 2020 2:14 AM

R324 this is so sad to hear I was a big fan of Fountains of Wayne and his other band Ivy...talented guy

by Anonymousreply 372April 2, 2020 2:18 AM

Because my dear for same reasons there have been numerous studies of 1918 flu pandemic, modern public health and other polices are to some extent influenced by analyzing what has happened previously. From there information will be used to help create various models that will be used for all sorts of predictions.

At some point if models hold true decisions have to be made in terms of basically who gets to live (treated) and those left to their own devices and likely will die.

If things like social isolation, strictly enforced home quarantines, ceasing all travel, closing borders, etc.. had been done for 1919 flu, death toll likely would have been much less.

by Anonymousreply 373April 2, 2020 2:18 AM

Over 1000 deaths in a day....

by Anonymousreply 374April 2, 2020 2:19 AM

I've had CNN on as background noise since late afternoon and that doctor Sanjay Gupta is on ever single show repeating the same statements everywhere. He is smart and articulate, but do they only have one expert available?

Anyone else a little annoyed by him?

by Anonymousreply 375April 2, 2020 2:19 AM

It's only fair that SS recipients receive this money. If they don't file taxes, it means the they're probably living on $10,000 - $12,000 per year.

Please don't some smart ass say that they should have planned better for the future. Most of them did, but all it takes is a major illness, job loss, or even a pandemic, and it's gone in a heartbeat.

Many of you are learning that lesson right now, and you're not even near retirement age. Hopefully, you will recover your losses, although it won't be easy.

by Anonymousreply 376April 2, 2020 2:26 AM

R375, they’ve had other doctors and experts on, but they’re not CNN regulars, so maybe you don’t recognize them.

They had Dr Michael Osterholm on yesterday, and I’ve seen him on a few other times. He’s an infectious disease epidemiologist that has worked for the CDC, and he’s famous in the medical community for not keeping his mouth shut and towing the line. He’s director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. I’m glad to see they’re using him.

Whenever you see him on, stop and listen. He tends not to sugar coat anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377April 2, 2020 2:29 AM

R376 You are absolute right. I talked to my mother last week, my parents were very diligent with their retirement accounts. They are in their 70s now, and have lost 30k in the last month from their accounts. They were looking at retirement communities where they could transition to assisted living if necessary, but are putting that on hold and staying in their house for now.

by Anonymousreply 378April 2, 2020 2:36 AM

R375 yes! I'm sick of seeing him. I switch to another channel when he comes on - which is far too often.

by Anonymousreply 379April 2, 2020 2:40 AM

🛃 Even I'm thinking of doing my own podcast.

by Anonymousreply 380April 2, 2020 2:40 AM

R294 here again. Turns out, a news report was wrong. My governor (OK) did NOT issue a shelter in place order. He just extended his order for non-essential businesses across all 77 counties to close shop, rather than just those with COVID-19 cases. Basically he said it's not up to him to protect us; it's up to us to protect us. Just watched the recap on the 9 o'clock news.

by Anonymousreply 381April 2, 2020 2:41 AM

$1,200 for [italic] Everybody !

🇺🇸 God Bless America !

by Anonymousreply 382April 2, 2020 2:43 AM

I can't help fearing that the economic downturn could lead to another run on the banks.

by Anonymousreply 383April 2, 2020 2:43 AM

What do people think is likely to happen? Stay at home through May and then return to work in June wearing masks?

by Anonymousreply 384April 2, 2020 2:47 AM

🍔 [italic] Over 300 Billion Sold !

by Anonymousreply 385April 2, 2020 2:49 AM

$81B in rent was due today.

Wonder how much was paid?

When the people didn’t get paid can’t make their mortgage payments, and those banks start exercising covenants to end credit lines for marginal borrowers, and those businesses go bankrupt...

Yeah, this is a shithsow extravaganza!

by Anonymousreply 386April 2, 2020 2:50 AM

R382 he's a total idiot. I hope he doesn't get re-elected due to the way he's responded to this (which is very Libertarian).

by Anonymousreply 387April 2, 2020 2:51 AM

R383

I have enough in the bank to cover bills. Everything else is in cash in a safe.

Banks are insolvent. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 388April 2, 2020 2:51 AM

R388 the virus can eat through steel. Haven't you seen the Andromeda Strain?

by Anonymousreply 389April 2, 2020 2:59 AM

FEMA requested 100,000 body bags today.

by Anonymousreply 390April 2, 2020 3:02 AM

I can handle the stay-at-home and social-distancing guidelines, but I'd been looking forward plenty of camping this spring and summer. It's disappointing that state park systems on the west coast (and elsewhere) have closed. I know it's necessary, but I hadn't thought of this particular detail.

by Anonymousreply 391April 2, 2020 3:03 AM

I'm seriously believing that were not going to see things up and running until the fall. This disease needs to run it's course and level off, and hopefully we won't have round two. Recovery won't be easy.

by Anonymousreply 392April 2, 2020 3:06 AM

[quote]R304 None of the numbers are comforting.

Well.... we’re at least we’re making our carbon footprint smaller.

by Anonymousreply 393April 2, 2020 3:11 AM

I think half of our local news teams, who are mostly broadcasting from home, are drinking on the job.

by Anonymousreply 394April 2, 2020 3:12 AM

Watching MSNBC. I want to be quarantined with Robert Costa. He's so hot.

by Anonymousreply 395April 2, 2020 3:19 AM

so Trump admin deemed gun shops as essential businesses. Why??

and DeSantis deemed places of worship as essential so they can stay open in Florida

repubs ugh

by Anonymousreply 396April 2, 2020 3:20 AM

[quote]I'm seriously believing that were not going to see things up and running until the fall.

Things won't go back to normal until a vaccine is developed. Who's going to shop, or travel, or go to a movie or concert when the virus is still out there? Dr. Fauci said it's highly likely that the virus comes back again in the Fall. We're going to be in a global recession until we have a vaccine or at least a highly effective treatment for it.

by Anonymousreply 397April 2, 2020 3:22 AM

Things will absolutely go back to normal as soon as things reopen. You underestimate Americans .

Also there is zero evidence of this being seasonal like the flu. It’s surging in warm climates right now.

by Anonymousreply 398April 2, 2020 3:31 AM

Lol

[Quote] When they finally open outside again I'ma stay home for a little bit... let the first batch of air hit y'all first and see what happens just to make sure the coast is clear.

by Anonymousreply 399April 2, 2020 3:37 AM

^^Yep! Me too. I won't trust it. We've been lied to enough already.

by Anonymousreply 400April 2, 2020 3:39 AM

What the hell with these people?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401April 2, 2020 3:39 AM

Brian Williams has done the best job of covering the crisis so far. He is such a calming presence and straightforward and professional when presenting information or hosting a panel or guest.

by Anonymousreply 402April 2, 2020 3:51 AM

Too many idiots not listening. Too many states with different or no shelter in place policies - which really should be lockdowns anyway. As a result, the virus will continue to infect and kill indefinitely. Unless an effective vaccine is developed quickly and distributed to everyone - Trump (or Feds) are going to be forced to do a national lockdown and enforce it via Martial Law.

by Anonymousreply 403April 2, 2020 3:53 AM

Those cruise passengers are doomed. I don’t know what I would do if if that was me. I’d like to think that I’d jump off the ship and swim to shore. At least there I would be on solid ground.

by Anonymousreply 404April 2, 2020 3:57 AM

[quote]Why do we have a poster fixated on the fact that this virus probably won't be as terrible as one from over 100 years ago? Who cares. This is going on NOW

Agreed. In 1918, we weren't mailing shit all over the world, or zipping around in vans delivering millions of potentially coughed on packages. Vacation travel was a luxury few could afford and that didn't involve the speed that airplanes afford us now. Comparing something from one era to another without taking those differences into account is shoddy reasoning.

by Anonymousreply 405April 2, 2020 3:58 AM

Those are the same people who say the flu kills I forget what number they say per year.

by Anonymousreply 406April 2, 2020 4:05 AM

Corona Time guy, how come you don’t separate the deaths by country anymore?

by Anonymousreply 407April 2, 2020 4:08 AM

by Anonymousreply 408April 2, 2020 4:08 AM

by Anonymousreply 409April 2, 2020 4:08 AM

[quote]Brian Williams has done the best job of covering the crisis so far. He is such a calming presence and straightforward and professional when presenting information or hosting a panel or guest.

He had a doctor on tonight -- Dr. Robert Gallo, who I believe did significant work with regard to AIDS -- who said that a "major announcement" will be made very soon with regard to COVID-19. He made it sound as if it would be something hopeful, so keep your fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 410April 2, 2020 4:12 AM

[quote]Those are the same people who say the flu kills I forget what number they say per year.

Comparing one year's worth of figures to just 4 months worth is also shoddy reasoning. We have no idea yet how many deaths will be the total for 2020, especially when some people may have died from this virus earlier but had their deaths attributed to pneumonia or flu.

by Anonymousreply 411April 2, 2020 4:12 AM

CNN can’t even bother to leave the studio. Only close up shots of don lemon and Sanjay Gupta allowed.

Isn’t this a network that was once on every continent? All they do anymore is show tweets and then consult the panel.

by Anonymousreply 412April 2, 2020 4:14 AM

It’s fun to watch Rachel take her frustration on stupid deplorable luminaries.

It’s my favorite hour of the day.

by Anonymousreply 413April 2, 2020 4:15 AM

Who was still going on cruises in March?!

by Anonymousreply 414April 2, 2020 4:15 AM

Lol she’s ripping up the repug governors one by one.

Get ‘em, Rach!

by Anonymousreply 415April 2, 2020 4:16 AM

⏳ CORONA TIME - APRIL 2 - 12:25 AM EST

🥟 NATIONAL BURRITO DAY !

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 935,960

DEATHS: 47,245

CRITICAL: 35,610

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 215,215

DEATHS: 5,120

by Anonymousreply 416April 2, 2020 4:24 AM

Those cruise passengers are the sad sacks of this whole tragedy. No one wants to let them dock so they -6,000 of them- are still floating around eating old food. I think it’s time for an Irwin Allen movie. Lost at Sea

by Anonymousreply 417April 2, 2020 4:27 AM

when did those cruises start? In the last week or last month?

by Anonymousreply 418April 2, 2020 4:30 AM

at this rate it seems we'll hit 10,000 deaths by Saturday/Sunday maybe even Friday

by Anonymousreply 419April 2, 2020 4:30 AM

One Carnival ship, the Zaandam, is pushing to disembark in Florida, but Governor Ron DeSantis has said he doesn't want the ship to dock in the state. Almost 200 people on the Zaandam have flu-like symptoms, while several have been confirmed to have COVID-19 and four people have died from the disease, according to CBS Miami

by Anonymousreply 420April 2, 2020 4:32 AM

meanwhile, the U.S. Coast Guard is directing all cruise ships to remain at sea where they may be sequestered "indefinitely" during the coronavirus pandemic. The Coast Guard also told cruise ship operators to be prepared to send any severely ill passengers to the countries where the vessels are registered.

More than two dozen cruise ships are waiting at Port Miami and Port Everglades in Florida as well as nearby offshore, according to the Miami Herald. Among those ships are Carnival's Costa Magica and Costa Favolosa, which are anchored near the port of Miami and currently working with the Coast Guard to facilitate medical evacuations, Carnival said in its filing.

by Anonymousreply 421April 2, 2020 4:35 AM

NEVER DID I EVER R409

I WOULD HAVE TO CREDIT THOSE STATS TO 🤣[italic] ANONYMOUS GUEST CONTRIBUTORS !

by Anonymousreply 422April 2, 2020 4:35 AM

Good grief. Ship of death.

by Anonymousreply 423April 2, 2020 4:36 AM

Are they throwing the cadavers overboard? Jesus. There is no reason to leave them in there. They should be taken out with all the hazardous protections in place and then be triaged.

by Anonymousreply 424April 2, 2020 4:37 AM

[quote]Joe Biden says tonight that the Democratic convention will have to move to August.

[quote]"I doubt whether the Democratic convention is going to be able to be held in mid-July, early July," he told Jimmy Fallon. "I think it's going to have to move into August."

by Anonymousreply 425April 2, 2020 4:38 AM

R412, I’m not sure, but I don’t think they’re necessarily in the studio. The backgrounds are like green screens. They could be at home.

I was really impressed by the lighting and makeup in Chris Cuomo’s basement. He must be doing his own makeup, but the lighting is good and the image is high quality. If he had a different background and was wearing a suit, I’m not sure you’d notice. I wonder if CNN sent somebody to these people’s houses a week or two ago and got them set up.

They are sending people out to various cities, but I cringe every time I see some hapless minion in Seattle or New York doing a stand up in front of a hospital. They don’t really need to do that. They can Skype interview almost anybody. Use the technology you have.

And almost anybody they could possibly want to talk to is in essential services, so I’m sure they don’t want some germy reporter breathing on them anyway. They have to keep working.

by Anonymousreply 426April 2, 2020 4:38 AM

R424, they ought to give those people burials at sea. They probably don’t have the ability to embalm them. The usual would probably be to pack them in ice and immediately ship the body home. This could go on for weeks.

I bet they’re only keeping the bodies because they’re terrified they’ll be sued if they get rid of the bodies. But there’s no way they’ll be in good condition when they do get somewhere. They’ll be a mess. And they’re a health hazard to the still living

by Anonymousreply 427April 2, 2020 4:43 AM

[quote]when did those cruises start? In the last week or last month?

The Zaandam left Buenos Aires on March 7. Don’t know about the others. At that time I believe we had our first CVID deaths here in the US but it was thought to be contained in Washington state. Things really started to unravel right after those poor slobs set off on their dream cruise.

by Anonymousreply 428April 2, 2020 4:43 AM

This is why I will never take a cruise.

by Anonymousreply 429April 2, 2020 4:44 AM

🚢 H.M.S. Titanic di Coróna Morté

by Anonymousreply 430April 2, 2020 4:46 AM

That r427 Would be a very respectful and logical solution.

by Anonymousreply 431April 2, 2020 4:50 AM

“The Zandaam” will be made into a Steven Spielberg film starring Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Idris Elba, Janelle Monáe, Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Catharine Deneuve, Jennifer Lopez as the nightclub singer Gloria Hola, the Rock, Olivia DeHavilland, and Timothee Chalamet as the cook Pepe who hides his fever and spreads the disease to the unsuspecting passengers.

by Anonymousreply 432April 2, 2020 4:56 AM

r432, don't forget me in the ingenue role

by Anonymousreply 433April 2, 2020 5:00 AM

[quote]We’re West Korea....

I love this

by Anonymousreply 434April 2, 2020 5:04 AM

R432, The Rock is a good touch. Will he be the warm, reassuring, vacationing epidemiologist, or the ship’s Captain?

by Anonymousreply 435April 2, 2020 5:04 AM

You can bet that these people will never step foot on a cruise ship again for as long as they live.

by Anonymousreply 436April 2, 2020 5:04 AM

Dr Bariartric surgeon clearly isn’t a DL’er!

We knew what was up well before March!

Tough day for me. Thank you lot for being here. You have all helped to keep me safe

by Anonymousreply 437April 2, 2020 5:05 AM

These republicans are going to get us all killed.

by Anonymousreply 438April 2, 2020 5:08 AM

"The Rock" should play the resident gigolo.

Nudity will add the perfect artistic touch.

by Anonymousreply 439April 2, 2020 5:11 AM

[quote]America is borderline retarded.

Just borderline? America is profoundly retarded. Drooling, fragile-X, eating-glass-shards retarded. It's a wonder most Americans have the brainpower to circulate their blood and draw air into their lungs.

by Anonymousreply 440April 2, 2020 5:12 AM

It is a fucking tough day for me...really, really tough. I called my Pharmacy Tech a liar...I think he and the Pharmacist are both liars and possible thieves.

by Anonymousreply 441April 2, 2020 5:12 AM

Probably not the best idea you've never had, r441.

by Anonymousreply 442April 2, 2020 5:17 AM

Carnival Cruises might want to change their name.

by Anonymousreply 443April 2, 2020 5:22 AM

Yikes! Corona guy,I was just asking a question. I appreciate what you do. Thank you. 😃

I’m sorry. I posted3 times I have trouble posting. I would say something but I suspect Mean Sylvia is Muriel who can be triggered with just a little criticism.

by Anonymousreply 444April 2, 2020 5:26 AM

R289 That just isn’t true. Viral load does matter, with regard to exposure. It’s why so many health care workers are dying. Health care workers need to be in full hazmat style PPE

by Anonymousreply 445April 2, 2020 5:27 AM

Kathy Lee Gifford sang the theme song featuring "Carnival's Fleet Of Fun Ships."

by Anonymousreply 446April 2, 2020 5:28 AM

CNN was reporting today that a source said the national stockpile of PPE was almost completely gone. They had one more round of distributions and that was it.

All these governors have been saying that they asked for X number of supplies and got 1/10. Now we know why. Because there aren’t any more. It also explains why Trump was saying cities and states were hoarding supplies and lying about needing so many. Because he doesn’t have any to give them.

So what happens when hospitals start running completely out of masks and there aren’t any more anywhere? Bandanas in surgery? Bare hands of Coronavirus-infected doctors inside people’s abdominal cavities in surgery? Garbage bag gowns in surgery?

I’d really like to know if Obama did let the National stockpile run lower than it should have. Not that I blame him after all this time. Even Trump said more than one President didn’t replenish stock. But what would have happened if Obama was President and it was low? Nobody expected this. Especially the part about every country competing to buy at once, and China not producing because they had their own pandemic to deal with. This is a worst case scenario.

by Anonymousreply 447April 2, 2020 5:31 AM

Japanese beverage maker Suntory will start production of hand sanitizers at a whiskey plant in the state of Kentucky as early as this week. Suntory does not have plans to produce hand sanitizer in Japan, just the US. Shiseido is producing hand sanitizers in France but also does not have plans to made them in its native Japan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448April 2, 2020 5:32 AM

Guardian-Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte has been widely criticised by labour groups after he ordered police to shoot dead residents who break quarantine rules.....Quarantine measures, he said, would be strictly enforced. “I will not hesitate. My orders are to the police and military, also the barangay, that if there is trouble or the situation arises that people fight and your lives are on the line, shoot them dead. Do you understand? Dead. Instead of causing trouble, I’ll send you to the grave,” he said in a televised address..

by Anonymousreply 449April 2, 2020 5:34 AM

Don’t you think the Chinese did the same?

by Anonymousreply 450April 2, 2020 5:36 AM

no offense taken, r444.

🤐 i will try to tone it down.

I blame it on my 7th grade nun who told me that i had a smart mouth, and someday it would get me in trouble. everybody else thought i was funny.

by Anonymousreply 451April 2, 2020 5:38 AM

not only have a lot of states and cities been receiving a fraction of what they ordered, some of them aren't receiving certain orders at all because they're being swooped up the federal government.

What's happening once the federal government gets them? who knows

by Anonymousreply 452April 2, 2020 6:09 AM

I listened to Dr Michael Osterholm who was mentioned above. He said that cruise ships pass around illness through air recirculation. I thought people got sick through food contamination,so that was a surprize. Anyway, listen to him, he speaks well and is very informative.

by Anonymousreply 453April 2, 2020 6:13 AM

Trump Compassionate Medical Supply Services

We're Discriminating .........

by Anonymousreply 454April 2, 2020 6:47 AM

Now the ex has it.

Daily Mail- Camilla Parker Bowles's ex-husband Andrew has coronavirus and fears he caught it at packed Cheltenham Festival.

by Anonymousreply 455April 2, 2020 6:52 AM

Sorry Mikey Pence. But I disagree. No one should be attending church services with more than one person in attendance. Your shadow should be the only other moving thing in the room.

by Anonymousreply 456April 2, 2020 6:53 AM

Remember that the “president” has a side hustle where he would buy supplies for his dad’s company and then run them through another “company” that would inflate the prices and then he would skim the profits.

Could be relevant to what’s going on here.

Whatever it is, it stinks to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 457April 2, 2020 6:54 AM

*had.

by Anonymousreply 458April 2, 2020 6:54 AM

George Stephanopoulos wife, Ally Wentworth tested positive.

by Anonymousreply 459April 2, 2020 6:55 AM

Boris is done. Even Trump is kicking him in the groin.

BBC- The UK government continues to face widespread criticism over its testing strategy. On Wednesday it was revealed that only 2,000 out of some half a million frontline NHS workers in England had been tested and Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said the UK needed to "massively ramp up" testing.

Labour's Shami Chakrabarti told the BBC's Today Programme that the government needed to show clarity in its plans for testing.

She said: "We’re asking the government to be transparent and to be clear - because that is so important in a public health emergency - about what its plans are to deliver the kind of scale of testing that we need.

"Without widespread testing in the population, we don’t understand – having listened to experts – the way out of the lockdown.”

by Anonymousreply 460April 2, 2020 7:05 AM

We’re almost nationally depleted of PPE and my hospital is already limiting us to 1 surgical mask per week if not grossly soiled (and we’re not as desperate as many facilities). I have a feeling this is going to be much worse than is currently being predicted when all is said and done. In any case things aren’t looking good at all.

by Anonymousreply 461April 2, 2020 7:06 AM

I ordered a stun gun and pepper spray since I don’t have a gun to protect myself at home. I’m 65 with multiple immune disorders and live alone Desperate people are going to do desperate things.

I’m getting very scared now.

by Anonymousreply 462April 2, 2020 7:13 AM

When the history of this pandemic is carved in stone on the monument to 1.2 million dead Americans it will read:

They died because America was stuck with A Game Show Host. A Traitor. A Con Man Buffoon Touting Lies. An Incompetent Psycho Who Only Cared about Himself.

by Anonymousreply 463April 2, 2020 7:14 AM

R462 Sorry gramps I'm bullet proof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464April 2, 2020 7:19 AM

I wonder how many ventilators, masks, and other various PPE was taken out of our strategic supply and sent to China by Trump and Pompeo two months ago in that 17 ton shipment?

by Anonymousreply 465April 2, 2020 7:29 AM

Here in Belgium the Public Health Minister is also under fire for not replacing 6 million masks that were destroyed because they were out of date.

by Anonymousreply 466April 2, 2020 7:33 AM

I cannot believe there's not more of a reaction to that Chinese piece of shit wiping his feet with masks.

by Anonymousreply 467April 2, 2020 7:35 AM

R462. I agree with you. The crime rate is going to explode. I lock my doors now when I am in the house for the first time in my life.

by Anonymousreply 468April 2, 2020 7:39 AM

I had to dump listening to Howard Stern after this week when he was, if not defending Trump, making excuses for him. Stern said he doesn't blame Trump for this, he blames the people who voted for him because Trump never wanted to be president and ran as a goof. Well, guess what, Howie? He IS president. And if he was unwilling and incapable of doing the job, he should have declined. And once he had the job, this all became HIS responsibility.

As far as I'm concerned, Trump is no better than Hitler. He should be executed for mass murder. He's a slimy piece of garbage and anyone who makes excuses for him is a piece of garbage, too. So fuck you, Howie.

by Anonymousreply 469April 2, 2020 7:42 AM

Guardian-Russia posted its largest single-day rise in identified cases of coronavirus as the country has passed tougher measures to enforce shelter-in-place orders to slow the spread of the disease, reports Andrew Roth in Moscow. Officials said they had identified 771 new cases of coronavirus in the past day, a 28% from the previous day that brings the country’s total number of infected to 3,548. Nearly 600 of the new cases were in Moscow, which has been the Russian city hit hardest by the crisis, with 2,475 confirmed cases. So far, 30 people have died due to the virus, official statistics report.

by Anonymousreply 470April 2, 2020 8:20 AM

I'm really curious how Independents are viewing this and how they'll view it in the future.

Most repubs watch Fox "News" and they're hearing that Trump is doing amazing considering the circumstances and that:

A) "impeachment distraction" interfered with preparation for the pandemic

B( Cuomo and De Blasio are entirely to blame for the chaos in NY/NYC

C) Pelosi and the Democrats wasted precious time trying to insert insane liberal pipe dream polices into the bill Congress passed last week

D( a cure's around the corner

by Anonymousreply 471April 2, 2020 8:28 AM

BBC-Authorities in France say 570 people have died in nursing homes in the Grand-Est region alone. The official national death toll only includes those who die in hospitals, and there are growing concerns that many more have died in care homes.

by Anonymousreply 472April 2, 2020 8:37 AM

You have discovered of course/Only the Ship of Fools is/Making the voyage this year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473April 2, 2020 9:09 AM

The situation is getting worse in Belgium. +183 deaths (1011 total). +1384 new cases (15348 total). 5376 people are currently hospitalised. 1144 in critical condition.

by Anonymousreply 474April 2, 2020 9:43 AM

Unbelievable

BBC-China has approved the use of bear bile to treat critically ill coronavirus patients. The National Health Commission has recommended the use of Tan Re Qing - an injection that contains bear bile, goat horn and herbs - to treat patients with Covid-19. But there is no evidence the mixture has any medicinal value.

by Anonymousreply 475April 2, 2020 9:49 AM

Guardian-Spain’s coronavirus death toll rose to 10,003 on Thursday, up from 9,053 on Wednesday - an increase of 950. On Tuesday Spain recorded 864 deaths related to coronavirus, the previous highest figure recorded.

by Anonymousreply 476April 2, 2020 10:00 AM

R441 = Julianne Moore in “Magnolia”

by Anonymousreply 477April 2, 2020 10:01 AM

The Orange Death is going golfing at taxpayer expense at his resort in Virginia. The Secret Service paid $45,000 to rent golf carts. During a national health and economic emergency.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478April 2, 2020 10:07 AM

45k for fucking golf carts? Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 479April 2, 2020 10:59 AM

Grifter's gotta grift.

by Anonymousreply 480April 2, 2020 11:02 AM

I understand that antibody levels don’t get high enough to be useful for the infusions until 21 days after symptom resolution.

Now based upon that, just as a lay person, just as a guess, I am wondering if reinfection is possible, but only during acute illness and a couple of weeks after. That would explain a lot of things.

by Anonymousreply 481April 2, 2020 11:18 AM

Guardian-Indonesia’s coronavirus death toll rose to 170 on Thursday as the world’s fourth most populous nation passed South Korea as the country with the highest number of recorded fatalities in Asia after China, reports Reuters:

Indonesia reported a further 13 deaths and 113 new cases, taking its total number of infections to 1,790. South Korea has reported 169 deaths and 9,976 infections, according to the latest figures released there.

The data comes amid alarm expressed by some medical experts and officials that President Joko Widodo’s government has been slow to bring in measures similar to those in other countries to curb the spread of the virus.

Indonesia only reported its first case of the virus one month ago, but epidemiologists say a relatively low level of testing means the number of cases appears to have been vastly underreported.

A model from the Centre for Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine would put the true number of infections in Indonesia at between 22,000 and 37,000.

A model from the Future of Humanity Institute at the University of Oxford estimated the number as close to 80,000.

by Anonymousreply 482April 2, 2020 11:20 AM

If Obama went golfing during a national emergency, the repugs would go ballistic. But if Trump goes golfing, his deplorable fan base argues he deserves some time off bc he's working so hard for the American people.

by Anonymousreply 483April 2, 2020 11:21 AM

[quote]his deplorable fan base argues he deserves some time off bc he's working so hard for the American people

Those quarter pounders aren't going to lift themselves to his tiny, little, oddly-shaped mouth.

by Anonymousreply 484April 2, 2020 11:30 AM

[Quote]I can't help fearing that the economic downturn could lead to another run on the banks.

Yes, I already have $5000 in cash. Maybe get more if this continues. None of this will save us if the government and FED spend money like crazy and hyperinflation will kill everyone's savings and cash reserves.

by Anonymousreply 485April 2, 2020 11:46 AM

I read a hopeful article in the NY Times that the drug Tocilizumab can quiet the Cyto storm and save your life.

by Anonymousreply 486April 2, 2020 11:55 AM

According to data from Nielsen Media Research, Fox News had their highest-rated quarter in network history. The network boasted 10 of the top 15 cable news shows in the 25-54 demo. Sean Hannity’s prime time show averaged 4,220,000 viewers, Tucker Carlson drew 4,005,000, The Five drew 3,558,000, Laura Ingraham drew 3,551,000, and Bret Baier’s Special Report scored 3,129,000.

The daily average for the quarter shows that Fox drew about the ratings of CNN and MSNBC combined, for while they drew 1,930,000 viewers, CNN got 901,000 viewers while MSNBC had 1,095,000. In prime time, Fox had 3,387,000 viewers, CNN drew 1,427,000 and MSNBC had 1,928,000. Fox Business also saw its highest rated quarter ever.

“This should concern the MSNBC hierarchy,” DePauw University professor and media critic Jeffrey McCall told Fox News.

Fox News grew 38 percent among total viewers during the first quarter of 2020 compared to the same time period last year, and MSNBC's liberal rival CNN grew 26 percent, while MSNBC finished the quarter with roughly the same viewership as Q1 of 2019.

t was even worse for MSNBC when it comes to the key news demographic of adults age 25-54, as Fox News grew 42 percent and CNN grew 27 percent, while MSNBC dropped by one percent – losing viewers during, arguably, the most newsworthy quarter in a decade.

MSNBC’s primetime lineup of Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnell was completely flat compared to last year, while Fox News and CNN both grew by at least 35 percent during the hours of 8-11 p.m. ET.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487April 2, 2020 11:58 AM

R481 is just wow.

by Anonymousreply 488April 2, 2020 12:02 PM

Ramblings of a second wave is happening in china already, full lockdown. Pretty obvious china lied about how many got infected and died over there to save their asses. No one believes shit they say now anyway. China really has burned a huge Bridge with america. They'll be blamed untill the next millennium not just for corona but for the next big recession as well.

by Anonymousreply 489April 2, 2020 12:06 PM

Their revolting eating habits and unsanitary culture will be exposed more and more. I think Chinese restaurants are going to suffer in the U.S. (if restaurants even open again).

by Anonymousreply 490April 2, 2020 12:11 PM

Re. The ratings, I can’t speak for O’Donnell or Matthews, but Rachel... my impression is she’s deeply in love with her style. I guess you could rock it during normal times - I suppose she actually goes, swaying back and forth behind her desk like she’s gotta pee - but when your last nerve is worked, I am not sure I could bear it, myself.

CNN is entering casket dance territory. An endless stream of dead and obituaries and the grieving, with the funeral tones of the anchors at the right moment. I blame Anderson. He loves that kind of coverage. What an automoton imagines is human interest... grief porn. To channel/paraphrase Bar... I’m thinking there’s only so much I can impose on my beautiful mind. Or what’s left of it.

Some questions:

Somebody said Brian Williams is really good with intelligent guests. Does anyone else recommend any coverage in particular?

Is every channel doing these obituary pieces and interviewing survivors?

by Anonymousreply 491April 2, 2020 12:12 PM

Chinese tourist were already hated pretty much everywhere. I can't image what it will be like for them going forward.

by Anonymousreply 492April 2, 2020 12:15 PM

[quote]An ER doctor dies in his husband’s arms a week after first coronavirus symptoms

[quote]He knew he was putting himself in a dangerous position going into work, but he — like other medical professionals — prepared his whole life to be on the frontlines and helping people.

I'm actually kind of tearing up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493April 2, 2020 12:16 PM

😿😿😿😿

by Anonymousreply 494April 2, 2020 12:16 PM

[quote] China really has burned a huge Bridge with america.

With most of the world. I don’t know how it manifests exactly, but politicians at home will have a hard time cozying up to China in future. I think you will see changes in supply chain... cheap China may lose some market share (though not all.) I wonder if this is the kind of thing that weakens the regime controlling China. Not predicting democracy but maybe moderates emerge.. or hardliners. Who knows? But this has been so big, I believe there will be fundamental change inside and outside China. They fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 495April 2, 2020 12:26 PM

Nursing home data still not taken into account

Guardian-A total of 2,921 patients have died in hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus in the UK as of 5pm on Wednesday, the Department of Health said, up by 569 from 2,352 the day before. As of 9am on Thursday, a total of 163,194 people have been tested of which 33,718 tested positive.

by Anonymousreply 496April 2, 2020 1:15 PM

The Hill: Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti (D) on Wednesday called on the city’s millions of residents to start covering their faces whenever they are out in public as part of an effort to combat the outbreak of the novel coronavirus. Garcetti said on Twitter that the decision was guided by data showing that many of those infected with the virus are asymptomatic.

The mayor noted in a press conference that night that he had been waiting for guidance from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on whether to issue the advisory. But he said that he elected to make the move without CDC communication after seeing the number of confirmed virus cases continue to climb in the region.

by Anonymousreply 497April 2, 2020 1:25 PM

DeSantis has decided to allow 45 Floridians aboard the Zaandam to come ashore.

The remaining passengers will have to settle for dying at sea.

by Anonymousreply 498April 2, 2020 1:54 PM

A “healthy and strong” family of four all died of COVID-19 in the same Italian hospital within the same week, according to reports.

Blacksmith Alfredo Bertucci, 86, was killed by the disease last Friday — with sons Daniele, 54, and Claudio, 46, also succumbing soon after, Italian daily newspaper il Fatto Quotidiano said.

The family’s 77-year-old matriarch, Angela Albergati — who had been so sick in the same hospital that she did not know she had lost her loved ones — died Wednesday morning, according to The Sun, citing local media.

“We are all so upset, it is a real tragedy,” family friend Massimo Giovanni Fasano said, according to the UK paper.

“They were all so healthy and strong.”

All four died in Voghera hospital in Lombardy, the Italian region hit hardest by the pandemic.

As of Thursday morning, Italy has registered more than 110,000 cases with more than 13,000 deaths, the highest in Europe and second globally only to the US, which has almost twice as many cases but fewer deaths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499April 2, 2020 2:07 PM

What's happening on Skid Row? Have they moved all of the homeless into hotels or are they just leaving them out there to fend for themselves?

by Anonymousreply 500April 2, 2020 2:18 PM

Do we all need to buy or make face masks now?

by Anonymousreply 501April 2, 2020 2:24 PM

The coronavirus continued to batter New York City on Wednesday, with more than 270 deaths and nearly 4,000 cases reported in 24 hours, according to city data.

The Big Apple’s death toll stood at 1,374 as of 5 p.m., with 278 fatalities since the same time on Tuesday.

Another 1,226 people were hospitalized since Tuesday evening for a total of 9,775.

Cases rose by 3,936, bringing the number of people infected with the disease to 45,707.

Queens remained the hardest-hit borough with 15,217 of the cases. Brooklyn had 12,274, followed by The Bronx with 8,607, Manhattan with 7,022 and Staten Island with 2,552.

New York City accounts for more than one fourth of all coronavirus deaths in the US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502April 2, 2020 2:29 PM

You won't be buying any R501 since the medical field will be the first to get them. There are videos out there of how to make yourself just using a scarf and hair ties.

by Anonymousreply 503April 2, 2020 2:31 PM

you can make you own masks, use bandanas or scarfs...I've seen videos posted on fb and elsewhere...no sewing machine needed. of course, it's great if you can sew yourself one...

by Anonymousreply 504April 2, 2020 2:33 PM

CBS News has admitted that alarming footage of an overflowing ward used during a report on the coronavirus crisis in Big Apple hospitals was actually shot in Italy.

CBS’ breakfast show, “This Morning,” used the footage of a packed ward last Wednesday just after saying the pandemic’s epicenter was “found right here” in New York.

The same footage had been aired earlier by Sky News — which correctly identified it as one of Europe’s “most hard-hit” hospitals located in Bergamo, Lombardy.

“It was an editing mistake,” a CBS News spokesperson told Fox News. “We took immediate steps to remove it from all platforms and shows.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505April 2, 2020 2:34 PM

TOLL MOUNTS UK coronavirus death toll rises by 569 to 2,961 – including 44 people with NO underlying health conditions

Positive cases for the deadly disease in the UK have also risen to 33,718 - up 4,244 from yesterday.

A week ago, the total number of positive cases for the whole of the UK was 11,658.

The number of people testing positive for Covid-19 has been rising on average by around 17 per cent per day - suggesting we are no closer to the "curve" flattening.

NHS England today confirmed a further 561 people have died - bringing the total number of hospital deaths in the country to 2,698.

The latest victims were aged between 22 and 100 - including 44 with no underlying health conditions.

That is the largest number of deaths in healthy people so far and includes a 25-year-old victim.

In Wales, a further 19 people have died - bringing the total death toll to 117.

While in Scotland, 50 more people died in 24 hours - with their total deaths now at 126.

A further six people have died in Northern Ireland - bringing their total deaths to 36.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506April 2, 2020 2:38 PM

they are gonna let the old people die in the UK too...after all the taxes they paid, so disgusting.

AGE CONCERN Ventilators could be taken off elderly coronavirus patients to save younger ones, guidelines say

DOCTORS have been told they could take elderly patients with little chance of survival off ventilators and give them to healthier patients, if the NHS becomes overwhelmed.

The advice from the British Medical Association features in new guidelines over how doctors should prioritise patients in intensive care treatment during the coronavirus pandemic.

n a situation where a hospital was unable to cope due to high numbers of patients admitted with coronavirus, staff would be allowed to deny intensive care treatment or artificial ventilation to some of the most unwell patients.

The doctor's union admitted that the new guidelines discriminated against the elderly and other people with long-term health conditions.

The new advice said: "Some of the most unwell patients may be denied access to treatment such as intensive care or artificial ventilation.

"This will inevitably be indirectly discriminatory against both the elderly and those with long-term health conditions relevant to their ability to benefit quickly, with the latter being denied access to life-saving treatment as a result of their pre-existing health problems.

"A simple ‘age cut-off’ policy would be unlawful as it would constitute direct age discrimination.

"A healthy 75-year-old cannot lawfully be denied access to treatment on the basis of age.

"However, older patients with severe respiratory failure secondary to COVID-19 may have a very high chance of dying despite intensive care, and consequently have a lower priority for admission to intensive care."

The new guidelines come just days after a 90-year-old woman died of the coronavirus after telling doctors: 'I had a good life, keep ventilators for younger patients.'

Suzanne Hoylaerts, 90, was hospitalised in Belgium after suffering with respiratory issues.

But she turned down a ventilator - and died of Covid-19 just two days later.

Her death comes during a global shortage of the essential medical kit.

Ms Hoylaerts, who lived in Binkom, near Lubbeek, was first hospitalised on March 20 after suffering a lack of appetite and shortness of breath.

She tested positive for the virus and was placed in isolation, where her condition went rapidly downhill and she died two days after she was admitted to the hospital.

NHS figures suggest more than 1.7million Brits may already have been infected by coronavirus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507April 2, 2020 2:43 PM

China has so many countries over a barrel right now with the One Belt One Road project. They own so many of these countries now. Even Italy. They're going to be reviled.

by Anonymousreply 508April 2, 2020 3:02 PM

R483, DJT deserves a LOT of time off.

by Anonymousreply 509April 2, 2020 3:05 PM

NBC:

Cruise ship with sick passengers, sister ship allowed to dock in Florida

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510April 2, 2020 3:10 PM

Florida needs to rethink and update their Corona Survival Handbook.

by Anonymousreply 511April 2, 2020 3:12 PM

⏳ CORONA TIME - APRIL 2 - 11:20 AM EST

🥟 NATIONAL BURRITO DAY

🌐 GLOBAL

CASES: 964,772

DEATHS: 49,246

CRITICAL: 36,754

🇺🇸 UNITED STATES

CASES: 216,826

DEATHS: 5,144

by Anonymousreply 512April 2, 2020 3:20 PM

John Hopkins / NBC News are far behind with their stats. They still have 217,081 cases and 4857 deaths as of 11:14am.

by Anonymousreply 513April 2, 2020 3:25 PM

Anyone want to lay odds on when we hit 300K cases?

by Anonymousreply 514April 2, 2020 3:29 PM

This pandemic is out of control with no relief in sight. I'll say it again, Trump needs to be removed from office.

by Anonymousreply 515April 2, 2020 3:40 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516April 2, 2020 3:45 PM

China is still cranking out face masks like nobody's business, and they are the world's premier supplier. Why aren't we doing the same?

by Anonymousreply 517April 2, 2020 3:46 PM

R517 Many fashion designers are now making face masks (for medical staff), GE as well.

by Anonymousreply 518April 2, 2020 3:48 PM

R518. Glad to hear. But do these face masks actually protect medical staff from this virus?

by Anonymousreply 519April 2, 2020 3:50 PM

POLITICO @politico · 8m BREAKING: Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the formation of a bipartisan House committee to oversee the Trump administration’s distribution of more than $2 trillion in coronavirus relief funds over the next several months

by Anonymousreply 520April 2, 2020 3:51 PM

CNN @CNN · 10m A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

by Anonymousreply 521April 2, 2020 3:51 PM

The United States is currently the proud owner of 22.5% of the entire global cases of The Corona.

😞 That's our Claim to Shame.

by Anonymousreply 522April 2, 2020 3:57 PM

The US army should be working to manufacture PPE for health workers. Furloughed moms and grandmothers sewing one cotton mask at a time can’t get us out of this.

Unbelievable the resources the US has but hasn’t activated.

by Anonymousreply 523April 2, 2020 3:57 PM

R517 Why are we allowing our stateside production to export PPE still, when our health care workers have little to none? Why are hospitals firing and stopping hcw from protecting themselves?

by Anonymousreply 524April 2, 2020 4:00 PM

R445 That was Duterte threatening to have the military shoot to kill protestors in the Philippines, not quarantine rule breakers. Poor people were protesting being locked down with no food.

[quote]President Duterte ordered the police and the military last night to shoot dead those who will continue to hold protests that disrupt peace and order during the enhanced community quarantine.

[quote]Duterte issued the order after members of the left-leaning urban poor group Kadamay reportedly instigated a protest that turned violent over food distribution in Quezon City.

[quote]“My orders to the police and the military, including the barangay – if there would be conflict and there is an occasion that they fight and put your lives in danger, shoot them dead,” Duterte said.

Duterte is one of Trump’s heroes. Trump would love to be a dictator.

by Anonymousreply 525April 2, 2020 4:00 PM

O The Oprah Magazine @oprahmagazine · 21m "I am pledging $10 million overall to help Americans during this pandemic in cities across the country and in areas where I grew up," @oprah said.

by Anonymousreply 526April 2, 2020 4:01 PM

R521 Further proves that we really don't know shit about this virus.

by Anonymousreply 527April 2, 2020 4:02 PM

R526

That’s nice, but she can afford more than that. All U. S. billionaires should be pledging very large sums of money at this point.

by Anonymousreply 528April 2, 2020 4:04 PM

I am not a medical professional, nor do I play one on TV, but my common sense advice to you .......

If you have a mask, any mask, just wear it if you're going out and will be around people, regardless of whether it's family, or strangers, the grocery store or a pharmacy.

Don't listen to the government or medical professionals. They don't always have YOUR best interest at heart. Be proactive and protect yourself.

by Anonymousreply 529April 2, 2020 4:05 PM

Anyone else watching the Cuomo brothers right now? Their shtick is growing old and it's inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 530April 2, 2020 4:06 PM

R491 Grief porn, exactly. CNN loves that shit. Every mass shooting, natural disaster etc. it’s all “Meet the victims” said with trembling voice, “Meet the heroes,” etc. etc. Reporting the actual facts of what is happening always takes a back seat.

by Anonymousreply 531April 2, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote]Coronavirus VACCINE that scientists claim can neutralise the deadly virus for at least a year could be approved for human trials 'within months'

It's funny how scientists can come up with a vaccine this quickly for CV but haven't come up with one for HIV in 20+ years. Hmmmm

by Anonymousreply 532April 2, 2020 4:10 PM

R530 Yeah, Andrew using these updates to ramble on about his mother, his big Italian family dinners, his “little brother Chris,” his daughter (she’s working with him, did you know that?) is self-indulgent and tiresome. Spare us the bullshit family chat, Andrew.

by Anonymousreply 533April 2, 2020 4:10 PM

R533, It works with the public. It's how Trump got elected. We live in a reality TV nation.

by Anonymousreply 534April 2, 2020 4:12 PM

Can Andrew and Chris jerk each other off and get this over with?

by Anonymousreply 535April 2, 2020 4:13 PM

CNBC Now @CNBCnow · 5m Democratic National Convention postponed until August, delaying official presidential nomination as coronavirus spreads

by Anonymousreply 536April 2, 2020 4:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537April 2, 2020 4:15 PM

R530 Stick it up your dried up old Repug cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538April 2, 2020 4:20 PM

The Cuomo bashing trolls from Reditt have infested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539April 2, 2020 4:25 PM

Sky News @SkyNews · 2m BREAKING: Another 760 people have died in Italy after contracting #coronavirus, taking the total number of deaths in the country to 13,915 - according to Italian health officials.

by Anonymousreply 540April 2, 2020 4:28 PM

It's shown how ugly the guests and anchors are without proper lighting, hair and makeup, and an appropriate background.

Some of the experts/guests they have had on remotely look like they are squatting in tenement buildings.

by Anonymousreply 541April 2, 2020 4:42 PM

Can the racist Lynch China Mob go start yet another hateful thread to spout their bigotry?

This thread should be informative, not racist hate-attack propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 542April 2, 2020 4:50 PM

The idiots have arrived at R538/R534

by Anonymousreply 543April 2, 2020 4:52 PM

I thought you were here a long time ago r543.

by Anonymousreply 544April 2, 2020 4:53 PM

Trump sees the pandemic as a way to personally enrich himself. If he can get a cut of the money selling facemasks at a higher price to other countries, he will do it, with absolutely no thought of the safety of our own doctors and nurses, and the lives of our citizens.

by Anonymousreply 545April 2, 2020 4:53 PM

[quote]Can the racist Lynch China Mob go start yet another hateful thread to spout their bigotry?

Stop apologising for China. China should be heavily criticized for it's behavior in all of this.

by Anonymousreply 546April 2, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote] Yeah, Andrew using these updates to ramble on about his mother, his big Italian family dinners, his “little brother Chris,” his daughter (she’s working with him, did you know that?) is self-indulgent and tiresome. Spare us the bullshit family chat, Andrew.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 547April 2, 2020 4:57 PM

r542, the Chinese government deserves criticism not only for how they handled this crisis but also for allowing the disease-spreading wet markets to continue. Criticizing the Chinese government and aspects of Chinese culture is not racism.

by Anonymousreply 548April 2, 2020 5:01 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549April 2, 2020 5:02 PM

Can Nancy and Chuck do anything to stop Trump from selling masks to the highest bidder, while our medical personnel have none? Nurses and doctors are already dying due to lack of PPE. People aren’t thinking of what happens in a year when half our doctors and nurses are dead. A lot of American doctors are over fifty.

Even after Covid is over, there’s going to be a horrific medical personnel shortage. Nurses are already quitting because they’re telling them to work with no mask.

by Anonymousreply 550April 2, 2020 5:03 PM

Can Nancy and Chuck do anything to stop Trump from selling masks to the highest bidder, while our medical personnel have none? Nurses and doctors are already dying due to lack of PPE. People aren’t thinking of what happens in a year when half our doctors and nurses are dead. A lot of American doctors are over fifty.

Even after Covid is over, there’s going to be a horrific medical personnel shortage. Nurses are already quitting because they’re telling them to work with no mask.

by Anonymousreply 551April 2, 2020 5:03 PM

Now is the time when you twats start fighting about the new thread’s name for 30 posts

Go ahead and start the continuation thread Sylvia, and ignore those cunts

by Anonymousreply 552April 2, 2020 5:06 PM

Man with coronavirus spits in train passenger’s face, then drops dead

Horrifying video shows a coronavirus-stricken man spit in the face of another traveler in Thailand before boarding a train and dropping dead.

Anan Sahoh, 56, tested positive for the virus after he was discovered dead Tuesday on the train from Bangkok to the southern city of Narathiwat, Metro UK reported.

Before embarking on the journey, Sahoh was seen on surveillance footage spitting on an unidentified man buying tickets at the Bang Sue station in Bangkok, the outlet reported.

He then passed a mandatory temperature check to board the train, where he was seen vomiting and coughing, the outlet reported.

Sahoh later fatally collapsed in front of a toilet when the train reached the Thap Sakae district station, the report said.

Medical personnel performed tests on him that confirmed he had been positive for COVID-19, the outlet reported.

Thakoon Intrachom, the director of Thailand’s State Railway, said they’re now trying to track down the straphanger who was potentially exposed to the man, according to the report.

“We are now worried about a man that was spat at in the security camera footage,” he said. “Initially, we coordinated with the railway police but they have not found him yet. We want to announce that if anyone knows him or if he has heard about the news, then he should please go to the hospital immediately.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553April 2, 2020 5:08 PM

County in China locks down amid concerns of potential second coronavirus wave

A county in central China has reportedly gone into a mid-sized lockdown amid fears of a second coronavirus wave as Beijing is trying to emerge from the deadly outbreak and revive its economy.

Roughly 600,000 residents near the city of Pingdingshan in Jia County were told to stay home as curfew measures went into effect Tuesday. The county is located in the Henan province, some 500 miles south of Beijing and just north of the Hubei province where the pandemic originated in December 2019.

A notice on the county microblog account said special permits are needed to leave home and residents must have their temperature taken and are required to wear face masks, the South China Morning Post reported.

In addition, only people with special permits can travel to work and cars are allowed to be driven on alternate days, defined by the license plate number.

“It’s better not to come to Jia county now,” an unnamed official with the county’s transport office told the newspaper. “Nobody can enter or leave.”

Businesses in the area have been shut down, aside from utilities, medical suppliers, logistics companies and food processors. Local resident Wang Xiao, 23, told the news outlet that she was informed about the measures by her village on Tuesday.

She said residents were urged by authorities to stock up on daily necessities and that each family could assign one person to visit the grocery store once every two days.

“I’m worried because it’s so close to me,” she said of reports that the county confirmed three new coronavirus cases on Sunday. “The hospital is only about 1.2 miles from my home. I had no idea that there were confirmed cases [of infection].”

The lockdown comes as China reports a decline in COVID-19 cases. Authorities imposed strict measures in Wuhan, where the first cases were reported and the initial epicenter of the pandemic, and other cities in the first weeks of the outbreak.

Millions were sealed off in an effort to contain the virus and whole cities were completely shut down as part of containment efforts.

Beijing has taken heat over accusations that it misled the world by purposefully underreporting the number of patients and deaths from the virus.

In a classified report to the White House, three US intelligence officials said this week that China’s public records of coronavirus cases were incomplete and deceptive.

A United Nations report released Wednesday praised China for sharing the genetic sequence of COVID-19 but failed to highlight that it didn’t report the first confirmed case until it was forced to and that officials knew about the virus two months before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554April 2, 2020 5:10 PM

Not racist= Point out China’s lies and obfuscation. Certain cruel, unsanitary, disease-promoting practices that exist in mainland Chinese culture.

Racist= Thinking and saying all Asians are Chinese or all Asian cultures are like mainland communist Chinese culture. Thinking Asian-Americans as somehow foreign and responsible for the shit show that China has unleashed on the world.

by Anonymousreply 555April 2, 2020 5:12 PM

Is DataLounge under viral attack?

I have to sign in and accept cookies eveytime I stop by to chat. I'm getting hungry for Chocolate Chip.

by Anonymousreply 556April 2, 2020 5:12 PM

The story at r553 is like straight out of a fucking movie!

by Anonymousreply 557April 2, 2020 5:13 PM

Masks, bitches.

[quote] "The Case for Universal Cloth Mask Adoption & Policies to Increase the Supply of Medical Masks for Health Workers" by me @judy_chevalier @NAChristakis @thehowie E Kaplan, A Ko (Chair of Epidemiology @yale) S Vermund (Dean of School of Public Health @yale)

[quote] We have two principal recommendations: 1) everyone should immediately begin wearing cloth masks in public, 2) The govt. should immediately use all available means to increase the supply of medical masks, especially by heavily rewarding producers. The basis for our recommendation is simple: anything that combats the spread of the virus is absurdly valuable due to the resulting reduction in mortality risk (not to mention accelerating resumption of normal economic activity).

[quote] Where do we get that these would reduce transmission of the virus by 40-50%? One source of evidence is direct medical studies investigating the ability of droplets to penetrate such masks.

[

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558April 2, 2020 5:17 PM

Look on the bright side: the new Top Gun movie is being pushed back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559April 2, 2020 5:27 PM

Crime is actually down in NYC.....kind of funny that right wing idiots like Donald Trump Jr telling everyone to load up on guns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560April 2, 2020 5:29 PM

WSJ:

Questions About Accuracy of Coronavirus Tests Sow Worry

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561April 2, 2020 5:30 PM

The mayor of Ecuador’s second city, Gayaquil, has called on the government to collect corpses, as residents complain they have been forced to spend days with the bodies of deceased relatives, Dan Collyns reports from Lima.

Cynthia Viteri, who has herself tested positive for the coronavirus, appealed to the government in a desperate video plea published on Twitter. She said: What is happening with our health system? They don’t remove the dead from houses, they leave them on the pavement, they collapse in front of hospitals. No one wants to collect them.

The coronavirus is sweeping through the coastal city, amid reports of families forced to cohabit with bodies of their relatives for days. CCTV images show people abandoning corpses in the streets. Other images show coffins sitting on the floor waiting to be collected from outside of hospitals. One reportedly shows the body of woman in a wheelchair in the entrance to the emergency room of a local hospital. City officials have been forced to deny they are planning to dig a mass grave to cope with the dead; shipping containers have been brought in to temporarily house the corpses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562April 2, 2020 5:37 PM

"I ordered a stun gun and pepper spray since I don’t have a gun to protect myself at home. I’m 65 with multiple immune disorders and live alone Desperate people are going to do desperate things."

For what? Crime is down

by Anonymousreply 563April 2, 2020 5:41 PM

UK 'looking at immunity passports' Health Secretary Matt Hancock says the UK is looking into "immunity passports" for those who have developed antibodies to the virus. These would help people return to normal life "as much as possible" after a test has shown they have already had the virus, he says. However he cautions that their understanding of people's level of immunity after having had the virus is still at an early stage. He adds that as someone who has recovered from the virus, he has a "strong interest" in the idea.

by Anonymousreply 564April 2, 2020 5:42 PM

Suggestions for new thread:

The land of the lost. No time to die. The sun doesn't always shine on tv. "All your memories and all your fears".

by Anonymousreply 565April 2, 2020 5:46 PM

Toronto being realistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566April 2, 2020 6:04 PM

Suggestion for new thread title:

Meet Me In The GAP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567April 2, 2020 6:08 PM

The writer of the movie "Contagion" explains what he left out of the movie that is happening now:

[quote] It seems pretty basic that the plot should be humans united against the virus. If you were writing it now, you would have to take into account the blunders of a dishonest president and the political party that supports him. But any good studio executive would have probably told us that such a character was unbelievable and made the script more of a dark comedy than a thriller.

[quote] I never thought in a million years that the scientists and public health people would be questioned and doubted and defunded and, in many cases, dismissed from their posts. That was something as a screenwriter and storyteller I would have never anticipated, because the threat is so obvious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568April 2, 2020 6:17 PM

[quote] Go ahead and start the continuation thread Sylvia, and ignore those cunts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569April 2, 2020 6:41 PM

NBC:

Many Americans may have to wait months for coronavirus relief checks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570April 2, 2020 6:44 PM

Anyone can start a thread R552.

by Anonymousreply 571April 2, 2020 6:55 PM

Jennifer Lawrence, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Colombian heartthrob Maluma have been added to Steven Spielberg’s “The Zaandam,”, about the fateful Carnival cruise ship that was forbidden to enter Miami due to Coronavirus concerns. It is believed Lawrence will play a ship prostitute. They join an already sprawling cast that includes The Rock as ship captain, along with several other A-listers including Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, Tom Hanks and Timothée Chalamet.

by Anonymousreply 572April 2, 2020 7:42 PM

Yes, R552, but only one will lose it if anyone isn’t herself alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573April 2, 2020 7:47 PM

Today's statistical observations:

Michigan surpasses California in total cases.

Louisiana explodes. (2726 new cases!)

And the UK death rate is at 8.6%

by Anonymousreply 574April 2, 2020 8:44 PM

Guardian-The number of coronavirus deaths in hospitals in France has reached 4,503, an increase of 471 in 24 hours, slightly fewer than in previous days, Kim Willsher reports from Paris. Added to the figure, however, are an estimated 884 deaths in retirement and care homes given for the first time. The head of France’s national health authority, Jérôme Salomon, also said the figures from non-hospital health establishments were only partial.

by Anonymousreply 575April 2, 2020 8:48 PM

Twit for twat, R552....

by Anonymousreply 576April 2, 2020 8:59 PM

My state went from 719 cases yesterday to 879 cases today. Death total up to 34, up from 30 yesterday.

Trying to take a break from the news today. Went out and cleaned my vehicles as it's 82° today and I could use some some sunshine. Tomorrow we're expected to have wind chills in the 20s, so I'm glad I did it today.

Now I'm back inside to continue attempting to fuse with my sofa.

by Anonymousreply 577April 2, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote] The patch goes on like a plaster and then the needles - which are made entirely of sugar and the protein pieces - simply dissolve into the skin.

Is there any way you could make mine with Splenda?

by Anonymousreply 578April 2, 2020 9:09 PM

Unfortunately several countries are playing with their numbers, especially with respect to people dying in nursing/retirement homes. Some are included, others are not.

There is also an issue with lag time and reporting accuracy. Yesterday, it was revealed that at least 1 death in the UK was included 10 days late and today there was a 66% increase in Scotland due to reporting "mistakes" according to the Guardian.

On top of this, several governments keep trying to spin the bad news into good news by focusing on arbitrary case counts (which are dependent on people who go to a hospital and meet the criteria for a test).

Meanwhile the deaths keep coming and people are dropping like flies throughout the world.

How in the world are we supposed to make sense of this? As cases mount, new cases will of course account for less and less of the total cases. But this doesn't change the sad reality: If the number of new cases remains constant, so will the deaths .

by Anonymousreply 579April 2, 2020 9:14 PM

OMG - what is the plane? Coyotes are roaming the streets of San Francisco because the streets are empty. I can’t see how this goes on into the summer with no plan in place.

by Anonymousreply 580April 2, 2020 10:25 PM

We hope it lasts until September. We could use the residuals.

by Anonymousreply 581April 3, 2020 1:00 AM

Could Jared Kushner be a bigger idiot? Why the fuck is he still there? Why does he think he knows shit just because he reads a few books? He isn't a genius, he hasn't accomplished anything that was assigned to him, all he seems to be doing is causing problems throughout the Federal Government. When Trump is out of office I sincerely hope this fool is arrested and locked up for all the damage he's caused.

Aaron Rupar @atrupar

JARED KUSHNER: "The notion of the federal stockpile was it's supposed to be our stockpile. It's not supposed to be states stockpiles that they then use."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582April 3, 2020 1:10 AM

R582 omg he said that? That’s fucking evil.

by Anonymousreply 583April 3, 2020 1:11 AM

I don't know how much stock to put in the Palmer Report, but he's on Twitter stating that with things at the Trump Org being shut down, they're in danger of defaulting on loans to Deutsche Bank.

by Anonymousreply 584April 3, 2020 1:12 AM

Take Palmer with a big grain of salt, but he occasionally does have some good insight.

by Anonymousreply 585April 3, 2020 1:16 AM

R570,I get hr block to fill out my taxes and use direct deposit does that mean irs has that info?

by Anonymousreply 586April 3, 2020 1:18 AM

R586, yes.

by Anonymousreply 587April 3, 2020 1:21 AM

More Kushnerisms from this press conference:

"Some governors you speak to or senators, and they don't know what's in their state" -- Jared Kushner says he knows better than state governors and US senators about how many ventilators are in their states

by Anonymousreply 588April 3, 2020 1:23 AM

Kushner could be the scapegoat moving forward. They’ll just fire him.

by Anonymousreply 589April 3, 2020 1:24 AM

The mission statement of the National Strategic Stockpile that Kushner has apparently not read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590April 3, 2020 1:24 AM

Ok I guess this thread should be closed out!

The new thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591April 3, 2020 1:28 AM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 592April 3, 2020 1:39 AM

I’m not dead yet!

by Anonymousreply 593April 3, 2020 1:41 AM

I feel much better!!

by Anonymousreply 594April 3, 2020 1:42 AM

I think I’ll go for a walk!

by Anonymousreply 595April 3, 2020 1:42 AM

The Day

by Anonymousreply 596April 3, 2020 1:42 AM

the Thread

by Anonymousreply 597April 3, 2020 1:42 AM

Stood

by Anonymousreply 598April 3, 2020 1:43 AM

I feel happy!

by Anonymousreply 599April 3, 2020 1:43 AM

Still.

by Anonymousreply 600April 3, 2020 1:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!