Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alfalfa Club -- Washington DC -- private, rich & powerful, no press allowed

Anyone in this club? Or know anyone who is in it? How / why does it exist?

by Anonymousreply 59July 13, 2020 3:29 PM

It honors...Robert E. Lee, evidently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2020 10:52 AM

Big whoop. I belong to the FAR more exclusive Buckwheat Club.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2020 11:10 AM

How does a person join? Money? Prestige? Is this like an Eyes Wide Shut thing?

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2020 11:10 AM

Before the #MeToo movement, the Alfalfa Club used to be called:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2020 12:33 PM

R3 Thanks. That's quite a list of members. I see that Jim Mattis is listed as 'vice-president' but I can't find 'president.' Also, he's listed as Secty of Defense so maybe it's an old list. (full of old men!)

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2020 3:27 PM

r2

You know that might have been funny if you said "He - Man, Woman Hater's Club"

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2020 4:34 PM

r2

You know that might have been funny if you said "He - Man, Woman Hater's Club"

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2020 4:34 PM

R5 see link below David Rubenstein President

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2020 6:23 PM

R8 Thank you. And now I'm going to google David Rubenstein...I'm assuming he'll be another old white guy. Do people actually run for title in this group? How do they qualify - just being rich and white is enough? I cannot get the Eyes Wide Shut scenario out of my head, thanks R3!

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2020 10:05 PM

AND YET, R6 and R7, R2 got FIVE Wit and Wisdoms, while R4 only got ONE.

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2020 12:49 AM

I've got to dive into that list, R8, to see if Biden is part of it...

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2020 12:52 AM

Why Alfalfa? What's the connection with Robert E. Lee? This club seems super creepy and I agree with the Eyes Wide Shut theory. Anyone? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2020 8:49 AM

Okay, I totally don't get the point of this club, they meet once a year for a 4 hour dinner and to roast someone, in the name of a celebration of the birthday of a traitor and rebel to our government and people of the USA. This club seems to have no redeeming social value, no scholarship fund, no good deeds, not even honoring a good man.

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2020 5:29 PM

R13 Thank you! Couldn't have said it better. Why are so many government / political people involved? It makes no sense. I'm with the Eyes Wide Shut theory...

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2020 5:59 PM

Anyone? Anyone out there with tea on this "club"? Let's get on it, DL!

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2020 2:34 AM

While all the secrecy? It can't be any more vile than the loathsome Nerd Prom ,also known as the White House And Press Correspondence Dinner. The dinner where once a year, the sleaziest politicians and their smarmy enablers in the Washington DC media all gather together to make cheesy jokes.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2020 5:43 AM

R16 The Alfalfa Club is much worse than the WH&PressCorrespondenceDinner. That is publicized and open. This Alfalfa thing is a private deal. Even the 'press' - who are aware of it - don't cover it and some are members! Andrea Mitchell is a member. You're right R16 why all the secrecy by the press? My guess is the majority of the members are 'leakers' so the press protects them.

Opinions?

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2020 5:54 AM

R17 "The majority of the members are leakers ". That sounds like a good guess, I didn't even think of that. That would explain why so little info has been made public.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2020 6:48 AM

R8 "Rubinstein?" Oh, I think not.

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2020 6:48 PM

R19 Explain, please? I don't get it...

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2020 7:55 PM

[quote] This club seems to have no redeeming social value, no scholarship fund, no good deeds, not even honoring a good man.

by Anonymousreply 21March 20, 2020 10:34 AM

I'm sure everyone in this club has been tested...

by Anonymousreply 22March 21, 2020 11:02 AM

R4 / R6 Bill Clinton boycotted the club until they started allowing women so they've got a few now. But 99% of the members are rich white men who bring their trophy wives.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2020 12:17 AM

This is like the Secret Society of no-Homers.

I will vomit if they’re an old man Eyes Wide Shut club.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2020 12:33 AM

R24 Help me. I don't get the no-Homers reference. Do you mean no homosexuals or no Homer Simpsons or ?

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2020 1:56 PM

Simpson’s reference when he joins the Stonecutters, OP.

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2020 3:02 PM

Simpsons not Simpson’s.

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2020 3:03 PM

I hope it doesn't involve sex stuff. Washingtonians are the unsexiest people on the planet. Cold and creepy fuckers the lot of them. Ick.

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2020 3:37 PM

[quote]Washingtonians are the unsexiest people on the planet.

They might be considered 'unsexiest' but I see them as 'most repressed' thus it's big news when a Washington scandal breaks (usually sexual). These are very public men who rely on their money and clean reputations to retain their standing in the country. And as R21 wrote, the fact that "the club has no purpose, no redeeming social value, no scholarship fund, no good deeds, not even honoring a good man" pushes me further toward The Eyes Wide Shut theory. What other purpose to this private social club but to act out in safety among themselves? The only thing that keeps me from fully believing the theory is that the media know about the club and they leave it alone.

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2020 5:58 PM

All that money and what is this club doing to help coronavirus? These people sit on piles of money and political power. They do nothing to help society. Even their annual dinner isn't available for us to watch as entertainment. Private. Powerful. Selfish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2020 7:22 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 31March 26, 2020 1:31 PM

Alfalfa Club is a secret society of old, closeted, powerful white homosexual men who have secret sex parties where they bring in many sexy young Twinks to fuck. Eyes Wide Shut but gay. It’s a low key secret in DC but known.

by Anonymousreply 32March 26, 2020 1:50 PM

R32 Let's hear more about it! Some of the members look more like bottoms than tops so I'm questioning the need for twinks but please share what you know! I'm amazed that the Marine Corps band/orchestra is there for the dance. Who the fuck is paying for this??

by Anonymousreply 33March 26, 2020 3:36 PM

I can't help but wonder how many DL EGs are a part of this 'social club'. Even using the term 'social club' makes my skin crawl. Yay, Rubenstein and Mattis! How proud you must feel to be heading this organization during this pandemic.

Dear members: Could you possibly pull your heads out of each others' asses and contribute something to the wellbeing of this country?

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2020 11:41 AM

R1 Most of the old white guys who fell for the Theranos scam are on the list of members! Elizabeth Holmes must have used the roster as her base of donors...

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2020 1:50 PM

Uggh- as much as I. *Heart* RBG, she's one of the LAST people on earth I'd want to see in a Eyes Wide Open scenario. * Shiver*.

by Anonymousreply 36April 1, 2020 2:09 PM

[quote]Dear members: Could you possibly pull your heads out of each others' asses and contribute something to the wellbeing of this country?

All that money and power with no defined purpose. They have a President (Rubenstein) and Vice-President (Mattis). Why aren't they forwarding an agenda helpful to the country - something as simple (for them) as donating money for ventilators and masks.

by Anonymousreply 37April 2, 2020 1:09 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2020 2:35 PM

[quote]Uggh- as much as I. *Heart* RBG, she's one of the LAST people on earth I'd want to see in a Eyes Wide Open scenario. * Shiver*.

R36 After the main function - the dinner, and dancing (with music by the Marine Corps Band/Orchestra) - there's an "after party" at a private location.

This club just seems creepier and weirder the more I learn about it.

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2020 7:38 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2020 10:34 PM

R19 damn you clever one, beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 41April 7, 2020 12:02 AM

R19 Never heard of the Mortimer Club! I found a thread on DL. Thanks for the post...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 7, 2020 12:14 PM

Anyone in DC know anyone-who-knows-anyone in this 'social club'? I love the idea that rich powerful people need a social club. How needy can they be? They have money, power...and yet they seek approval.

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2020 6:17 AM

[quote] I cannot get the Eyes Wide Shut scenario out of my head, thanks

With Ruth Bader Ginsberg as a member and John Kerry as a former club president I think you're right

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 20, 2020 6:47 AM

Am I allowed in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45April 20, 2020 7:29 AM

Only one of 'you' --Colin Powell is a member but that's as far we'll go.

by Anonymousreply 46April 20, 2020 7:59 AM

What about Obama? Gosh, they're admitting almost ANYONE these days.

by Anonymousreply 47April 25, 2020 4:09 AM

r32 Curtis LeMay & Petraeus? Kissinger?

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2020 1:39 PM

Men and women Dems & Republicans. It's just some club. Maybe it was sinister or important a long time ago, but it's nothing much right now. I do believe there are sinister "covens" in Washington, D.C. & environs, but they meet in secret and they don't have Wiki pages. And Barr, Pompeo, and other Extremists are involved. Bet it's some version of mysticism and religious nonsense. Like Masons only worse.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2020 1:47 PM

Yep, these old guys need a place to go to feel relevant, powerful, and sexy by Washington DC standards. They were mostly political and military strongmen. Only recently is it the money crowd - Bezos, Gates, etc. That seems to be the wave of the future. I wonder if they still adhere to the 200 rule: No new members until one dies.

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2020 1:48 PM

R49 Nope. Alfalfa is still alive and well as a haven for the rich and powerful. You might want to paint it as 'just some club' but it's not. Bezos and Gates wouldn't be a part of it if it was a big nothing.

by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2020 1:50 PM

I know David Rubenstein. We intersect in a few circles, and we meet every year or so for different reasons (which is not to say he knows my name). He comes across as a bit stiff -- DL would call him "aspie." He's tasked with a bunch of similar prestigious social functions: e.g. he presides over the induction ceremony for the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Not a bad guy and generous towards his interests. He has a show on Bloomberg TV if you're really interested.

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2020 1:52 PM

R52 I know Mr. Rubenstein, also! Very pleasant man, lots of interests and he has the time and money to pursue them. FYI, he interviewed Jim Mattis on his Bloomberg show. Mr. Rubenstein is the current President of the Alfalfa Club and General Mattis is the Vice-President. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2020 1:55 PM

What's the parking and breakfast situation?

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2020 3:13 PM

R54 Regarding parking, we have valets just like at your Mortimer Club. However, breakfast isn't included. This is strictly dinner and dancing, followed by a 'private' party...imagine Eyes Wide Shut but with REALLY old, unattractive men. Oh wait! That's your crowd.

by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2020 6:12 PM

No, that's Murray Guttman's crowd.

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2020 9:01 PM

Alfalfa members are allowed two guests at their annual January meeting. I'm sure Mr. Rubenstein would welcome you as one of his guests, Mr. Guttman!

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2020 10:28 PM

Some things are reserved for the havs, you have nots need not to be worried. Do you want to be murdered? OK, then. The Illuminati is a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2020 12:26 AM

[quote]The club was formed by four southerners in the Willard Hotel to celebrate the birthday of Confederate Civil War General Robert E. Lee.

I assume this club will be disbanded? I'm watching Andrea Mitchell covering all the BLM and removal of Confederate statues. Will she and husband, Alan Greenspan, resign? And what about its Vice-President, Jim Mattis? He just broke his silence to rightfully condemn Trump's use of force against George Floyd protesters.

So who will be the first to resign?

by Anonymousreply 59July 13, 2020 3:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!