Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Happy Birthday, Cybill Shepherd!

You're 70!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2020 5:43 PM

I hate her no talent ass

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 2:29 PM

Who IS this no-talent?

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2020 2:33 PM

Cybill Shepherd back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2020 2:36 PM

She really was something to look at. The camera loved her.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2020 2:38 PM

She’s the woman whose show you stole, remember, Christine?

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 2:38 PM

Cybill Shepherd today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2020 2:38 PM

God, I know that feeling.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 2:38 PM

Miss Teenage Memphis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 2:46 PM

There's no cunt like a washed-up, old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 2:51 PM

She's a beloved American actress!

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 3:27 PM

I never thought she was the ravishing beauty she was made out to be.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 3:43 PM

WEHT to her kids? The last that I heard about her son is that he was arrested for stealing loot from luggage stashed in overhead bins while his fellow airline passengers slept. Classy guy.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 3:44 PM

R8, that photo revealed one of her best kept secrets: Bad legs and fat ankles.

Cybill's two daughters are lesbians and she's been completely supportive. As for the son, that was over a decade ago and we haven't heard a word about trouble since then. Sorry, but I know the father and he's a great guy. We also speculate he's got a 12 inch dick since he was with both Cybill and Jennilee Harrison and he's not much to look at .

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 4:02 PM

Cover girls were about the face, r13. Gawd, could you imagine her doing runway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 4:14 PM

Not an American here but is she the poor man's Susan Sarandon?

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 4:24 PM

Sarandon was never close to Shepherd's appeal as a Cover Girl. In the late 60s, early 70s, she was arguably the top cover model.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 4:28 PM

Bullshit!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 4:40 PM

[quote]Not an American here but is she the poor man's Susan Sarandon?

Susan Sarandon is the poor man's Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 5:54 PM

Stanley Kauffmann said that Sarandon was the rich man's Diane Keaton.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 6:16 PM

Her face was on a lot of magazine covers when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 6:23 PM

I know a lot of folks can’t stand her, and maybe it’s deserved to a degree, but she was terrific on “Moonlighting”. She was lovely when she was young, and she has appeared in a few classic films. AND she worked with Martin Scorsese, Elaine May and Woody Allen (back when that still meant something!)

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2020 6:40 PM

Plastic surgery changed her face so much, I had to watch her clip in Bogdanovich's documentary on Buster Keaton twice to catch her name. I thought it was a film historian or film director speaking on camera the first time.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2020 6:42 PM

With the right role and director, she could be passable, but I still remember how lousy she was on her own sitcom. Everyone else acted rings around her, especially Baranski who stole the entire show right from under her. Cybill had the annoying habit of delivering her big punchline and then grinning, almost winking at the audience like "ha! can you believe I just said that?" It was like your super Christian aunt telling a joke.

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2020 7:30 PM

I loved her in Moonlighting.

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2020 7:35 PM

I love Cybill. One of the last of the good ol' broads.

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2020 9:28 PM

Cybill Lynne Shepherd

Throughout her career, Shepherd has been an outspoken activist for issues such as gay rights[23] and abortion rights. In 2009, she was honored by the Human Rights Campaign in Atlanta to accept one of two National Ally for Equality awards. She has been an advocate for same-sex marriage.

She was present at the opening of the National Civil Rights Museum in her hometown of Memphis, for which she lent some financial support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2020 9:31 PM

Clementine Ford is married to a man presently with a couple of kids.

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2020 9:48 PM

R19 what in the heck does that even mean?

I swear critics just make shit up just to have something to say that they fancy is original.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2020 9:50 PM

R28, do you even know who Kauffmann was? He was in the absolute top group of movie critics. His reference was to a movie Sarandon did called "Something Short of Paradise". He said that people called it the poor man's Annie Hall but he came away thinking Sarandon was the rich man's Keaton.

Go back to the "I hate Meghan" threads you Brits enjoy so much.

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2020 9:59 PM

She had the best hair of the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2020 10:25 PM

I have to admit, I've always kind of liked her, despite hearing the rumors of her being difficult and bitchy. I thought she was funny enough on her sitcom (which I actually just watched in its entirety a few months ago on Amazon, although largely outshone by Baranski). But as someone mentioned above, I never thought she was the great beauty people saw her as. Pretty? No doubt, but a knock out who stood in echelons higher than all other women, I never thought so.

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2020 11:42 PM

Well, she WAS a Breck Girl, r30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2020 12:16 AM

She DID get to shriek two of the truly immortal lines in all of show bidness history while playing Martha Stewart in that TV movie:

"Hey! Hey, slut!"

"I'm sendin' a letter to your parents - I'm tellin' 'em you're a whore!"

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2020 2:38 AM

The cuntiest cunt that ever cunted, ask Christine Baranski.

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2020 2:48 AM

Susan Sarandon is the poor man's Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2020 3:13 AM

Yeah, r29, so wtf is your point ? Like “top” critics can’t pull things out of their asshole that are completely ridiculous non-sequitors? Btw John Simon was considered a “top critic” too.

And in my humble option, Sarandon was never a “rich man’s” anybody.

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2020 3:41 AM

R36, it wasn't a non-sequitur and completely in line with his comments. You asked what it meant and I told you. Go start a few more Harry and Meghan threads, which is more your speed.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2020 3:53 AM

R37 where are you even getting this Harry and Meghan shit from (which you can check I’ve never commented on in my life)? I think you need to stop trolling people.

And as if a Cybill Shepherd thread represents the epitome of high culture and intellect, let’s get fucking real.

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2020 4:19 AM

R38, and yet, you're on this thread about Shepherd. No one is trolling but no one except you Brits say "fancy". Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2020 4:33 AM

She had Elvis .

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2020 5:28 AM

I adore Baranski , but also , heard she's quite the C**t as well.

by Anonymousreply 41February 19, 2020 5:31 AM

R39 I’m not the one pretending to be “above” those in this thread or any other thread, and I’m not the one putting down other threads. That’s all you hun.

So seriously, end of discussion, but thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2020 5:32 AM

iconic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2020 9:54 AM

iconic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2020 9:54 AM

I've posted this before but I have a Cybill story. In the early 90s I moved down to London from Scotland when I was 19 and got a job in a club that had singers on every weekend and for 3 nights Cybill Shepherd was on doing a sort of cabaret act. On the Friday afternoon it was closed but a few of us were working and setting the place up and she was in with her piano player rehearsing. She finished and they both came and sat at the bar where I was and she was talking away and was asking about my accent and where i was from and I told her I was from Scotland and moved to London as my family were not happy with me being gay and I needed a fresh start. She told me her sister was a lesbian but still hadn't told a lot of people but she hated seeing her sister be miserable in silence as in her community people were still not very tolerant at that time. She said she did work in the US for gay rights and her gay piano player said that I was actually fortunate to be in the UK as he thought it was more open minded at that time. She was nice to me and genuinely sincere about gay rights I thought so happy birthday Cybill!

by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2020 6:45 PM

[quote]R11 I never thought she was the ravishing beauty she was made out to be.

And yet every straight man wanted to fuck her, and not you.

Curious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2020 7:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 20, 2020 7:09 PM

[quote] Cybill's two daughters are lesbians

Clementine is doing the Anne Heche thing - sometimes she likes the pole, and sometimes the hole.

by Anonymousreply 48February 20, 2020 7:11 PM

At one time, her book was out on the Interwebs as a PDF, free.

tl;dr = She blamed everyone in the entire free world for her problems except for, of course, herself.

by Anonymousreply 49February 20, 2020 7:13 PM

VERY sexy in her day .... like it or leave it.

She epitomized healthy American good looks to most. A kind of corn fed, bursting-at-the-seams with vitamins and sunshine ideal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 20, 2020 7:14 PM

I met her at a book signing in Chicago. I’d enjoyed “Moonlighting” and a few of her films, but beyond that, didn’t really have strong feelings about her one way or the other. The real surprise was how beautiful she was in person. I’d always thought she was pretty, but photos and film hadn’t really captured how beautiful she truly was (I know, Mary!) Folks in line waiting to see her were all commenting on that, too. And I still don’t understand why those Lucy-in-“Mame” filters were sometimes used on “Moonlighting”!

And she couldn’t have been nicer. Yes, I know people aren’t necessarily going to be jerks during a five-minute interaction when they want to sell books, but she was really kind and engaging.

by Anonymousreply 51February 21, 2020 12:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2020 2:54 PM

During her “Moonlighting” heyday, Shepherd was named one of Harper’s Bazaar’s annual “10 Most Beautiful Women” and was on its cover and included in its pictorial shot by Francesco Scavullo with makeup by Way Bandy. One of the other “10 Most Beautiful Women” that year was Nancy Reagan (you can’t make this up!) and her photos also had credits by Scavullo and Bandy. Not long after that, Bandy died of AIDS. The White House press office released a statement that Mrs. Reagan didn’t actually have any contact with Bandy. When asked about this, Cybill Shepherd said something to the effect of, “Well, I worked with Way Bandy, and I’m so proud and honored that an artist like him worked his magic on me!” Always thought that was a classy thing for her to say.

by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2020 4:05 PM

Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2020 4:08 PM

I think it’s in the book MODEL by Michael Gross that a Harper’s staffer shares that they always called the annual “10 Most Beautiful” collection the Old Bag Issue [bold]: (

by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2020 5:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!