Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Products that have declined in quality. YET AGAIN!

I am eating a Snickers bar right now. I realised it doesn't have any peanut taste and no sizeable peanut pieces. It's just sweet and caramely. I went to the kitchen and got a little box of salted peanuts and if I eat some peanuts with each bite, the bar tastes more like the old Snickers.

Another - Saturday I tested the current state of two classic Guerlain fragrances - Jicky (1889) and Samsara (1989). In the bee bottles. They aren't the same they were ten years ago. And ten years ago they weren't the same they were 20 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222April 26, 2021 10:52 PM

So, Jicky got icky?

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2020 11:24 PM

Careful, OP. Post anything about food and some prisspot asshole will call you fat or say you type fat.

For me, it's Campbell's Cream Of Chicken soup. I crave it when I have a cold and it's now this gelatinous blob. It used to taste better and you'd have to break it down because it would be more solid.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2020 11:27 PM

šŸ˜‚ Jicky has lost the icky it used to have (funk, civet). It's smooth and pleasant now.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2020 11:27 PM

How is the Campbell's organic chicken? Just a gimmick?

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2020 11:29 PM

No products are ever the same after years and years. Corporate America cheapens everything for more profits.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2020 11:29 PM

I enjoyed the refried beans in the burritos at Taco Bell back in the 80s, the red sauce too. Both changed in the mid-90s and are now even worse tasting. I can't eat there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2020 11:41 PM

Breyers Ice Cream. It used to have taste.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2020 11:45 PM

OP live too long and is too fat.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2020 11:48 PM

Most Breyers flavors arenā€™t legally ice cream. They specifically donā€™t call them ice cream. People see a big ass Breyers logo and assume. And then they have a few flavors that are legally ice cream just to confuse the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2020 11:57 PM

Things have reached a pretty pass when a fellow needs to buy extra peanuts to supplement his Snickers, just to get the taste back to what it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 12:01 AM

Breyerā€™s ice cream did not have additives in the 1990ā€™s. It was just cream, sugar and vanilla or cocoa, or strawberries.

Cheez Whiz, Kraft Dinner, Campbellā€™s tomato soup.

As a kid, I liked Cheez Whiz in celery. I also liked tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. These arenā€™t foods Iā€™d eat regularly, but now I donā€™t bother at all.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 12:02 AM

Maybe I could squeeze civet ass glands into my Jicky. Unfortunately the live animal market in Wuhan has shut down.

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 12:06 AM

OP. So many classic fragrances have been knee-capped by the EUs IFRA regulations, which are becoming progressively onerous, all to ensure that no one ever can have a slight allergic reaction to any fragrance. Oakmoss is pretty much illegal now, citrus oils are apparently next. So long to classic chyphres.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 12:14 AM

Once in a while my father would have a can of Coca Cola. I was at Kmart once and they sold bottle of Coca Cola from Mexico which had NO high fructose corn syrup just SUGAR. My father is NOT a gourmet but even he said the Mexico Coca Cola tasted MUCH better than the high fructose corn syrup American crap. Beverage companies in the USA started to switch over to HFCS from sugar in their sodas around 1980.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 12:17 AM

Since they banned hydrogenated oils, Ritz crackers taste like ceiling tile and crumble to ash in you hands.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 12:23 AM

Dolly Madison's "snacks" haven't gone down in quality one lick. They've always been awful.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 12:34 AM

Presidents of the United States

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 12:37 AM

[quote] Oakmoss is pretty much illegal now, citrus oils are apparently next. So long to classic chyphres.

Oh, NO! How will I survive without CHYPRES!

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 3:12 AM

Most American chocolates taste more and more artificial

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 3:17 AM

BIC branded lighters have adjust the gas so that you use that up faster.

The problem is that now the base level for the flame is extremely higher and the flame is unwieldy.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 3:21 AM

Fuck you, Darfur Orphan! Two of my favorite scents have been reformulated because of the EU's overreaction. Go eat a bug and leave us alone, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2020 3:24 AM

Most chocolate tastes like plastic now.

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2020 3:29 AM

I had one piece of Hershey's candy on Halloween and had to spit it out because it was just way too sugary sweet.

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2020 3:34 AM

Kroger store brand paper towels used to be the best bargain, but they both made them thinner and shrunk the size of the rolls, so I donā€™t buy them anymore.

Not a decline in quality but total disappearance for the plastic meshy pot scrubber things. Iā€™ve always bought them but when I needed more I couldnā€™t find them in any store, even Dollar Tree and Walmart. They sell all kinds of dense sponge based scrubbers on the market but those trap water and start stinking in no time. The mesh ones could be rinsed out and left to dry, No mildew smell and they donā€™t scratch pots. Weird that something in use since my grandmothers time and taken for granted just disappeared all of a sudden.

by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2020 3:51 AM

Broadway

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2020 3:55 AM

Aldi gets those sometimes, R25. Last time they had them I. November, they even had little handle knobs on them. They sold them in 2-packs for a few dollars.

by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2020 3:59 AM

I havenā€™t eaten a chocolate bar since maybe 8 years old. I have my own issues - eating crap is not one.

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2020 3:59 AM

^in*, also, meant R24 not R25.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2020 4:01 AM

The OSCARS

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2020 4:10 AM

They changed every single national brand of toilet paper over the last few years. I hate all of them.

Iā€™m sure it was so they could save .05 cents a year.

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2020 4:13 AM

Pizza Hut pizza. It used to be pretty damn good in the 80s and the 90s. It is still better than other chain pizzas but it's not the creamy crack it once was.

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2020 4:16 AM

The only reason pizza hut was good was because we didnā€™t have wood fired pizza yet over in North America. Then it was over.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2020 4:30 AM

All crackers. And, to go along with the new 'taste like nothing/crap' greatness, they also keep shrinking the packages. Club crackers took out an entire sleeve. Town House first started putting fewer crackers in each sleeve so all the crackers moved around and were broken. Then, they shrunk the sleeves to fit the fewer crackers. (I assume they had to use up their supply of larger sleeves.) Now, they have put fewer crackers in the sleeves, again. Ritz started tasting like shit a decade ago.

Honestly, I think generics are better than name brands now a lot of the time because they are foreign made and the quality is better than American crap.

Those looking for decent toilet paper, do you have a Family Dollar around you? They have a 1250 sheet roll for a buck that's pretty good. Doesn't seem as miniaturized as others.

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2020 5:00 AM

Lexus vehicles were over engineered and built like vaults/tanks in the early ā€˜90ā€™s all the way up to the mid-ā€˜00ā€™s. There was a noticeable decline in build quality and fit/finish in the late ā€˜00ā€™s, and the newer models simply are not on the same caliber as the older models from a fit/finish perspective.

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2020 5:41 AM

Every shampoo and conditioner smells terrible now. I remember when they all smelled really good. Revlon Outrageous and SAMY were my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2020 7:12 AM

The Darfur Orphan is the unfunniest meme on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2020 7:39 AM

Toblerone and Cadbury's taste of plasticky nothingness nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2020 8:02 AM

Ciswomen

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2020 8:12 AM

Another mention for pizza hut pizza. It was a go-to greasy comfort food but now the owners are so stingy with everything you get crust that is almost two inches thick and some weird ass soy cheese shit on it that doesn't even melt properly.

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2020 8:24 AM

High cost + Low quality = Capitalism

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2020 8:25 AM

Mountain Dew. It used to have a fruity taste back in the 90s (in high school friend taught me how to make "hobo" wine coolers mountain Dew and white wine.

Even diluted with a white wine you could still taste that fruity flavor.

Now it has a medicine-ish over sugary taste and not even real sugar.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2020 8:27 AM

Mountain Dew and Madame Rochas, bastardised.

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2020 8:31 AM

Peanut M&Ms. One of the few candy snacks with a fairly low glycemic index (around 38). However, in the last year or so, I've noticed that a noticeable percentage of them have stale peanuts - to the point where I have to spit it out.

Also, Diet Dr. Pepper. I used to love that stuff. Now it's bitter and I can't drink it any more. Still sorta hanging on with diet A&W (or Barqs) Root Beer (diet of course.) Not great but all the rest is gross - especially Diet Coke. Leaves a gummy taste in your mouth. What are they doing??

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2020 8:36 AM

R41 Corn syrup ruins everything.

by Anonymousreply 44February 18, 2020 8:49 AM

Crotch fruit.

by Anonymousreply 45February 18, 2020 9:00 AM

Everything about toilet paper sucks now. You canā€™t actually buy a package of toilet paper rolls anymore- everything is a double roll, triple roll or quadruple roll. Of course, when the only Quilted Northern that Target is selling is the ā€œtripleā€ roll, then it de facto becomes just a roll. And if this ā€œtripleā€ roll is really triple the size, whatā€™s a single roll? 5 squares of paper.

It makes it difficult to comparison shop with this gimmicky advertising. One brand has six triple rolls, while another has eight double rolls, but itā€™s not like thereā€™s some industry standard for what constitutes a single/double/triple roll.

The same thing has happened with buying paper towels.

by Anonymousreply 46February 18, 2020 9:08 AM

^^ Due to fat assed huge dumping Americans.

by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2020 9:26 AM

R46, Buy toilet paper by the ply (get 2-ply) and by the square inches. AKA, read the fine print. Then compare for value.

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2020 9:37 AM

Sadly, my concerts...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2020 9:41 AM

Butter. Tasteless. Cheddar cheese. No sharpness. Lamb chops. Ptui.

But maybe it's my old taste buds, as I find many food items bland anymore.

by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2020 9:43 AM

The quality of almost everything has gone way down. Itā€™s very disappointing. Clothing is crap. Designer clothing is crap. Food has all sorts of chemicals. I moved to the UK in the last couple of years and at least some of the food standards are higher here but the toilet paper is horrible. Might as well use the newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2020 9:52 AM

Fragrances are absolute garbage now. Iā€™ve got an old bottle of Chanel No. 5, unopened in a dresser drawer and I guess Iā€™ll just hoard it. Pretty much every fragrance Iā€™ve loved has been discontinued or reformulated. There are a few obscure ones that Iā€™ll never smell again, and that makes me sad. Thereā€™s still good food around (thank god for imports and local artisanal kooks bless them).

L.L. Bean is trash now. Iā€™m actually shocked at how bad itā€™s gotten. When I find good old pieces at thrift shops or yard sales, I snap them up.

by Anonymousreply 52February 18, 2020 9:58 AM

Most merchandise sold nowadays is just cheap and shitty. Good quality anything is no longer available in the US because America has found new slave labor in far flung places. Even those shitty products are getting smaller in size for a higher price!

by Anonymousreply 53February 18, 2020 10:04 AM

BREAKING: As you age your sense of taste,smell,touch,hearing,sight diminish.Did I mention you become skinflints?

by Anonymousreply 54February 18, 2020 10:13 AM

Apparel industry is a perfect example. Cheap blended fabric glued together by 8 yr old slave labor in Bangladesh. Will not survive even one laundering. Don't get me started on the 2 month life span of gym socks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 18, 2020 10:18 AM

R24, try looking for Scrub-It brand nylon scrubbies on Amazon. That's where I had to buy mine. Got three packages of them which will last me until the end of time.

by Anonymousreply 56February 18, 2020 10:36 AM

Very odd about Snickers, OP, because I just had one for the first time in a while and it tasted better than the last time I'd tried one. In fact, it was the size I remember from when I was a kid in the 1980s, and I found the proportions were nicer than the Snickers of several years ago, which were huge but all nougat.

Bought some Oreos recently and was really put off by how sweet it was. I remembered them being more savory, especially the cookie part which was hardly sweet at all.

by Anonymousreply 57February 18, 2020 10:39 AM

[quote]Not a decline in quality but total disappearance for the plastic meshy pot scrubber things. Iā€™ve always bought them but when I needed more I couldnā€™t find them in any store, even Dollar Tree and Walmart.

R24, I know what you're talking about - the SOS Tuffy dishwashing pads, the orange/yellow or blue ones. They finally disappeared for good a couple of years ago after becoming progressively harder to find for some time, and there's no viable replacement for them. You can still find little disc-shaped plastic scrubbers pretty easily, but they're not the same as the SOS Tuffy ones at all, which were more durable and 'crumpled' to fit into areas that the round ones can't. I really miss them.

by Anonymousreply 58February 18, 2020 11:02 AM

R14, I agree. And the fact that it's bottled rather than canned adds to the better, old-time taste.

by Anonymousreply 59February 18, 2020 11:04 AM

Caron Farnesiana is another perfume that's been completely fucked.

by Anonymousreply 60February 18, 2020 11:12 AM

Airlines. I'm 6' tall and feel crunched riding in economy. Can't imagine if someone is over 6' and how they managed to fit. I won't eat any airline food even if it's included in the airfare. I'm sure that pigs wouldn't eat it. I use points to upgrade if flying cross country or to Europe. I make do if my flight is only a couple of hours, but still won't eat the food. I'd rather go hungry.

by Anonymousreply 61February 18, 2020 11:14 AM

Life unless you are rich, minority or female.

by Anonymousreply 62February 18, 2020 11:18 AM

r46 Quilted Northern is a KOCH brand, so you shouldn't be buying it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 63February 18, 2020 11:38 AM

Farnesiana was deeply woody until 2000.

Fragrances aren't exactly dead. They come up with new ones based on the new molecules, so a new conception of fragrance, that are good. But the old ones are mostly impossible it seems. It seems hypocritical we can go buy a delicious cigarette, knowing it's a cancer stick, but we can't buy a potential allergen for 1 out of 10,000 people.

by Anonymousreply 64February 18, 2020 11:49 AM

R62, your post is ridiculous.

And newsflash, sweetie: you're on a gay website. Gay=minority.

by Anonymousreply 65February 18, 2020 12:16 PM

R56, which ones did you buy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 18, 2020 12:20 PM

R43- Before you buy the M&M's with peanuts check the sell by date. Make sure it's six months away then the peanuts should taste fine.

by Anonymousreply 67February 18, 2020 12:33 PM

R34- Even Consumer Report's has mentioned the cheapness of the interior of the Lexus ES in recent years. I bought a 1992 Honda Accord LX in 1997. It was the BEST car I ever owned. It was not only very reliable the interior fit and finish resembled a much more expensive car. This car was over engineered like the Lexus cars of twenty years ago. The trunk of my Accord was lined with the same carpeting as the interior. The materials for the seats were excellent. The power mirror switch I could make the most minute adjustments in the mirror. Honda began cheapening their cars after 1993. The reliability of the 2019 Honda Accord is only average. In the 1990's Honda Accords had OUTSTANDING reliability.

by Anonymousreply 68February 18, 2020 12:40 PM

These, R66:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69February 18, 2020 12:42 PM

R55, donā€™t get me started. 90% of my wardrobe is from thrift shops. Itā€™s the only way I can afford the natural fibers I prefer. Good leather shoes, shearling coat, cashmere sweaters, tweeds, silk twill scarves, etc. The garments are heavier and thicker and they last. Iā€™ve got lots of things that are 30-50 years old that look new. New and shiny isnā€™t really a priority.

by Anonymousreply 70February 18, 2020 12:56 PM

R70 is doing it right.

by Anonymousreply 71February 18, 2020 3:18 PM

Crackers are crap now because we took away the hydrogenated vegetable oil in the US (shortening, aka trans fat) and they're not tasty anymore.

The quality of dish soap (hand dish washing) and detergent (liquid) is crap. "Ultra" seems more diluted than the regular dish soap we used to have. I have a feeling we're all being charged more, for less. Tide "Ultra" , the same.

by Anonymousreply 72February 18, 2020 3:35 PM

Tarrifs much?

by Anonymousreply 73February 18, 2020 3:57 PM

R24 - Amazon has the traditional thin green non-scratch scrubbers and also these natural-fiber ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74February 18, 2020 4:22 PM

J Crew t-shirts have become utter crap in the past 10 years. Iā€™ve stopped buying them because several times, they developed holes after one wear or one wash.

by Anonymousreply 75February 18, 2020 4:32 PM

Breyers Ice Cream...

Because people have to have something to look at before deciding to buy Ben & Jerry's

by Anonymousreply 76February 18, 2020 4:45 PM

Ben and Jerryā€™s deserves mention too.

Check that ingredient list, girl.

by Anonymousreply 77February 18, 2020 4:45 PM

Three Musketeers Bar

Add caramel and you get MILKY WAY

Milky Way

Add peanuts and you get SNICKERS

by Anonymousreply 78February 18, 2020 4:46 PM

Not a decline in quality, but in quantity: Crest 3D White toothpaste. The last time I bought some, I noticed the weight had gone from 4.8 ounces (136 g) to 4.1 ounces (116 g), but the box was the same size, and the tube was the same length.

by Anonymousreply 79February 18, 2020 4:47 PM

I swear it's everything these days. All my guilty indulgences taste off or maybe I was just always stoned. I thought my taste buds were shot from alcoholism ;( but nope. Haagen Daz still makes some great tasting ice cream though.

by Anonymousreply 80February 18, 2020 4:52 PM

R77-That happened when UNILEVER bought Ben and Jerry's.

by Anonymousreply 81February 18, 2020 4:53 PM

Ben & Jerry's has always used guar gum and carrageenan. It didn't start with Unilever.

by Anonymousreply 82February 18, 2020 4:57 PM

The comic sections of all the newspapers. In the 40s they was funny with Lil Folks, Lil Abner, Lil Lulu and Barney Gumble and Snuffy Smith

by Anonymousreply 83February 18, 2020 5:17 PM

Yes, Haagen Dasz is still excellent. The only ice cream brand (and one of the few of all food junk food brands) that's held up. The ingredients list is still readable.

by Anonymousreply 84February 18, 2020 5:21 PM

Twinkies

by Anonymousreply 85February 18, 2020 5:25 PM

R64 - So it was 2000 when Farnesiana changed? Because now I have a date I can search for pre-2000 vintage bottles. Thank you. I'm a real fume-head and for whatever reason (OK, the reason is the Scent Bar in L.A.) I tend to lean towards niche but my favourite fragrance of the past few years is Chloe Nomade. The first and only Chloe I've ever loved. It's full of that dry, almost dusty note I often hate, but also plummy and - ugh, I love it.

by Anonymousreply 86February 18, 2020 7:18 PM

I can recommend Vileda scrubbies (recently tried them after a rec from America's Test Kitchen and they are superior to the Scotchguard I've been using - and which declined precipitously in quality about 1-2 years ago - in every way). The Scotchguard got so shitty I was opening a new one every week or so. The Vileda I'm using now has been in use for 7 weeks. I'll give these Scrubits a try, too.

by Anonymousreply 87February 18, 2020 7:20 PM

Petty but very real reasons I can't hang out with certain people #24:

They prefer Ben and Jerry's to Haagen Daz. I agree with everyone here saying HG is one of very, very few widely available brands that has maintained a consistently very high quality. The only grocery store ice-cream worth buying where I am. Ben and Jerry's sucks and it irritates me when people talk about it like it's a premium/equal to HG brand. I am pathetically relieved to see people posting who agree, because I once had a weeklong fight with a friend about this. She was also under the impression that Victoria's Secret undies and bras were high end. Fucking hell.

by Anonymousreply 88February 18, 2020 7:23 PM

Supermarket yogurt brands. Dannon has dropped most of their classic flavors, filled the remaining ones with HFCS, and even changed the packaging to something cheap-looking. A decade or so ago everyone started pushing "Greek-style" yogurt, which doesn't have the flavor or even texture of any yogurt I've eaten in Greece. They've simultaneously all gone from the formerly standard 8 oz cup to 5.3 oz.

by Anonymousreply 89February 18, 2020 7:24 PM

If you want kraft macaroni in the box that tastes like it did when you were a kid, get Aldi's store brand, it's damn good.

by Anonymousreply 90February 18, 2020 7:38 PM

Well I just bought some do-si-dos Girl Scout. The cream filled center was almost non-existent. And, you get the privilege of donating $5 for the box, an increase of $1 over just year. With less filling. Are they inclusive like the Boys Scouts?

by Anonymousreply 91February 18, 2020 7:41 PM

This thread would be more interesting and useful (and shorter) if we listed things that have NOT declined in quality...

by Anonymousreply 92February 18, 2020 7:48 PM

Wegmanā€™s store brand products.

by Anonymousreply 93February 18, 2020 7:48 PM

I'm not R90 and I'm afraid of being called a shill, but Aldi stuff is pretty damn decent.

Their fake cheez-its, the white cheddar kind, are outstanding. I stopped buying them because I couldn't stop eating them, but if you don't have that problem then they're well worth your $1.50 or so for a big box full. Their box of assorted crackers is good for the money. They sell fake girl scout cookies for around a buck a package-- I don't buy cookies but I hear those are "like the real thing." 85% of their snacky stuff is totally decent. If you're paying $3-4 right now for something that no longer tastes like you remember, why not just move on to something else that isn't any worse for $1-2 instead? I do get the point of the thread, but just a suggestion.

Their bread is mostly terrible, but the mini naan are good in the toaster. Most of the stuff there is good or good enough, especially for the money. Plus they have two aisles of random stuff that's always changing, some of that stuff is great.

by Anonymousreply 94February 18, 2020 7:54 PM

R93, Wegman's have declined or have not declined?

by Anonymousreply 95February 18, 2020 8:52 PM

R84-You're correct even though Haagen Dazs was bought by Nestle's years ago.

by Anonymousreply 96February 18, 2020 8:55 PM

Kraft Singles. Just the plain old pale orange ones. At least in Canada they've totally changed texture and now they're all weirdly sticky and fall apart when you try to get them out of the wrapper.

by Anonymousreply 97February 18, 2020 8:58 PM

R86 I can't date the change on the Caron exactly in the noughts. I only know in the 90s it was intact because I had some.

by Anonymousreply 98February 18, 2020 9:08 PM

By the way, the fillable bottles of Azzaro pour Homme, form last and this year, are not the same juice. I personally can't be arsed tracking down vintage bottles of anything. At the moment some overlooked or forgotten Italian drugstore men's fragrances are intact. Battistoni, Capucci, Arrogance, even Pino Silvestre.

by Anonymousreply 99February 18, 2020 9:14 PM

Oh, disgusting, r98. I thought you were talking about something to eat. I just swallowed two ounces of your stench.

Move it to a perfume thread.

by Anonymousreply 100February 18, 2020 9:15 PM

Oreos are now nothing like they were in the past. They're gross.

by Anonymousreply 101February 18, 2020 9:17 PM

Most underwear

by Anonymousreply 102February 18, 2020 9:18 PM

Why don't you shove off R100, since as I started this goddamned Debbie Downer thread, myself, and was politely answering a post. Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 103February 18, 2020 9:19 PM

R38, you mean 'women'

by Anonymousreply 104February 18, 2020 9:20 PM

Wegmanā€™s store brand products have declined. The last seven or so good products Iā€™ve bought from them have been terrible.

Their white cake from the bakery is good, though.

by Anonymousreply 105February 18, 2020 9:29 PM

I have a feeling that someone posts about the decline of expensive products they could never afford to impress the rest of us. I have a feeling their toupee is running a little tight these days.

by Anonymousreply 106February 18, 2020 9:35 PM

Untwist your pannies, R100, perfume is a 'product' and as such a perfectly legitimate thing to discuss in this thread.

Thank you for the reply, OP. I will begin searching for pre-2000s Farnesiana. My dream (long discontinued) find is Ipanema by a French brand (Satellite) that did some of the best niche frags I've ever sniffed and then discontinued all but 1 of them. Maybe all by now?

by Anonymousreply 107February 18, 2020 9:41 PM

The quality of Q-tips is inconsistent.

by Anonymousreply 108February 18, 2020 9:43 PM

It is, r108. My last batch of brand-X Q-Tips was so bereft of cotton (or whatever they're using instead these days), I made sure I bought Q-Tips brand Q-Tips. They're just cotton-sparse.

by Anonymousreply 109February 18, 2020 9:54 PM

Before the Consumerist blog shit the bed they talked a lot about how companies would do stuff to slightly lower quality and keep it in the same price range.

Smaller packaging, a little of this, a little of that.

Me, I'd rather pay the extra buck or two for the good stuff. But I suppose people want a bargain version too. I thought that's what store brands were for, though.

by Anonymousreply 110February 18, 2020 9:57 PM

Remember those yogurt covered raisins? Now Welchā€™s brand DOESN'T HAVE A RAISN in it, itā€™s artificial goo.

by Anonymousreply 111February 18, 2020 9:59 PM

God knows what they are feeding us now that all the agencies have been slashed big food unregulated.

by Anonymousreply 112February 18, 2020 10:00 PM

To all the people commenting about Oreos, try Newmans o's they are so much better. The chocolate cookie part isn't too sweet and has a strong chocolate flavor while the filling is just sweet enough.

by Anonymousreply 113February 18, 2020 10:45 PM

Thanks a bunch, R113!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 18, 2020 11:11 PM

r79=toothpaste size queen

by Anonymousreply 115February 18, 2020 11:50 PM

Heavy cream.

Nearly every brand, even those labeled organic, have guar gum, carrageenan, tara gum, or mono/diglycerides in them as thickeners. If you want to make homemade ice cream to avoid the artificial slime, you'll have to do some legwork to find cream without additives. I can't find it, even at Whole Foods. Trader Joe's is said to have it, but I can't find one without the slimy additives.

New (U.S.) regulations require cream to be ultra pasteurized, which affects its ability to whip properly for whipped cream, so they add thickeners. So for homemade ice cream, I have to buy Haagen Dazs.

R88 you are not petty. I'm also annoyed by ignorant enthusiasm. It's fine to love your favorite brand, but don't enthuse that it's the real deal when you've obviously never read the label.

by Anonymousreply 116February 18, 2020 11:58 PM

Haagen Dazs ice cream bars are not as good as they used to be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 19, 2020 12:00 AM

Pepsi Max and Diet Pepsi both taste AWFUL now. I never drink full-calorie Pepsi, but Pepsi Max in particular used to be delicious. Now it tastes like it's gone flat within seconds of being opened.

by Anonymousreply 118February 19, 2020 12:13 AM

Diet Coke is still good esp the mango Diet Coke

by Anonymousreply 119February 19, 2020 3:06 AM

[quote] Ben and Jerry's to Haagen Daz

Both have declined in quality since they started to be featured in grocery stores, but HƤagen-Dazs is still better than B&J's, yes.

by Anonymousreply 120February 19, 2020 3:21 AM

Haagen also has a more varied variety of flavors. B&J flavors have goofy names and are kind of similar, as most have chocolate in them in one form or another.

by Anonymousreply 121February 19, 2020 5:34 AM

Aldi also has delicious European chocolate bars for less than $2. The milk chocolate was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 122February 19, 2020 5:41 AM

My body.

by Anonymousreply 123February 19, 2020 5:45 AM

Fellow dairy enthusiast here R116 (i.e. R88) - I am always on the lookout for high quality cream [insert sex joke here]. The UK has better milk and dairy than North America (at least widely available). Also, even within a country it can differ. For example here in Quebec we have something called 'creme a cuisson' (cooking cream) that, while still containing stabilizers, lacks the gummy/disgusting mouthfeel of 'whipping cream' and 'country cream.' We also have local small, hipster type dairies that do very expensive but completely free from bullshit cream. In other provinces they've never heard of cooking cream and look at you funny if you ask for it.

The UK has amazing cream. It's worth a trip to the southwest/Devon/Cornwall for the clotted cream alone. Sounds disgusting but if you're into dairy (and oh, god, I am) it's heaven.

And yes, everyone. I know I type fat.

by Anonymousreply 124February 19, 2020 6:43 AM

Socks and underwear disintegrate within a year of purchase as if by design. T-shirts develop weird little holes in them.

I have a Ralph Lauren shirt that's more than 30 years old and it still looks new. What has happened to clothes that makes them fall apart so quickly now?

by Anonymousreply 125February 19, 2020 9:20 AM

I'm surprised nobody has said Datalounge. Is it still as good as it was 25 years ago? Does it taste different? Does it hold up to repeated washings?

by Anonymousreply 126February 19, 2020 9:37 AM

R125 Zara happened. Zara's fast fashion business model was so effective that every other brand is copying it and that's why most clothes today are made extremely cheaply, made to only last a little while and also use every thin fabric. Zara is also destroying the idea of long seasons. If you're curious there is plenty of info online about Zara's effect on the industry.

I think I'm finally going to give in and buy from thrift stores instead since all the cheap materials being used today just are uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 127February 19, 2020 10:16 AM

Mrs. Fieldsā€™ Cookies ā€“ They were incredible when they became popular in the late-1980s. Business sold. Recipes changed and quality declined. I recently bought some. It had been a while. Now, the cookies are flat and bland.

by Anonymousreply 128February 19, 2020 11:09 AM

There used to be a Competitive Reality show about food products and the regular people trying to make a go of their homemade items. The goal was to get packaged and sold in stores.

Invariably, each contestant was told that, to bring costs down, they no longer could use real Georgia peaches, or true bourbon, or whatever else gave their specialty its distinctiveness. Noooo; henceforth it was to be powders, flavorings, additives, etc.

That is our packaged food today.

by Anonymousreply 129February 19, 2020 11:34 AM

[quote]What has happened to clothes that makes them fall apart so quickly now?

Planned obsolescence. My parents' washing machine worked fine for 50 years. I'm still using my grandmother's blender. These were everyday brands. Now things are run on the model that you change your stuff every few years or less, paying for it each time. We went from LPs that lasted a few decades (with care) to CDs that were soon replaced by digital files that became incompatible with each software upgrade, and now the model is that you don't own recordings, you pay money for a subscription and then spend money and time futzing with song lists.

by Anonymousreply 130February 19, 2020 11:36 AM

R124, I had clotted cream near Clovelly and thought it was awful!

Here in the States one is advised to seek out true farm markets. I'm lucky enough that my area of Pennsylvania is chock full of them.

by Anonymousreply 131February 19, 2020 11:37 AM

[quote]But I suppose people want a bargain version too. I thought that's what store brands were for, though.

Kroger's store brands are hard to find nowadays, they seem to have replaced Kroger brand with a higher-quality store brand called Private Selection. They're more expensive than brand names sometimes but can be really good, especially their desserts like macarons and biscotti.

Hy-Vee still has store brands but they are uniformly awful.

by Anonymousreply 132February 19, 2020 12:11 PM

R127, Zara is absolute shit. The clothes look good in the stores but they disintegrate after a month. Not even H&M is that bad.

by Anonymousreply 133February 19, 2020 12:11 PM

Zara has good to excellent bedroom linens. just saying.

by Anonymousreply 134February 19, 2020 12:28 PM

R128- Mrs Fields were THE BEST cookies ever! -At least up until 1995 when I would go to BLOOMINGDALES in White Plains NY and buy two of them fresh out of the oven.

by Anonymousreply 135February 19, 2020 1:25 PM

R125, do it before all the good stuff is gone.

I am lucky to live on the UES and I hit the Goodwill and other shops around. Thereā€™s a lot of garbage, but Iā€™ve gotten terrific old good things. Found a nice old Ralph Lauren pique polo. Compared it to a recent purchase and itā€™s unbelievable. The fabric of the shirt itself is twice as thick, the collar is twice as thick and so are the buttons! Cut is more generous and thereā€™s even twice as much stitching. Sweaters of real wool, thick and heavy. Sometimes the cut/tailoring is more boxy, but itā€™s always better quality.

And now Iā€™m spoiled. When I go to regular retail stores, Iā€™m amazed at how cheap/thin/poorly made everything is. Shoes with vinyl soles, nothing is lined, etc.

by Anonymousreply 136February 19, 2020 1:34 PM

What is 'Zara'? Clothes for obese fraus?

by Anonymousreply 137February 19, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote]My body.

May have declined in quality, but I'll bet it's increased in QUANTITY.

by Anonymousreply 138February 19, 2020 3:13 PM

R124 But you type fat with an intercontinental flavor! xoxo

by Anonymousreply 139February 19, 2020 3:17 PM

[quote] Kroger's store brands are hard to find nowadays, they seem to have replaced Kroger brand with a higher-quality store brand called Private Selection.

Kroger's and their associated brands are the devil's asshole. Worst customer service ever, and I refuse to shop there on principle.

by Anonymousreply 140February 19, 2020 3:18 PM

r131, would the area be north of Philadelphia? Bucks County had better food options.

by Anonymousreply 141February 20, 2020 3:06 AM

So much of the fruit sold in grocery stores in the U.S. is like plastic display produceā€” itā€™s strictly for looks, not consumption. The fruit in other countries isnā€™t as pretty or as uniform but it still has flavor.

by Anonymousreply 142February 20, 2020 3:21 AM

Zaraā€™s menā€™s clothing is of low quality and poorly made. The clothes remind me of Party City Halloween costumes.

by Anonymousreply 143February 20, 2020 4:25 AM

Zara = Old Navy

by Anonymousreply 144February 20, 2020 4:27 AM

I thought Zara was the Spanish version of H&M.

by Anonymousreply 145February 20, 2020 10:03 AM

Krystal burgers have shrunk 18% and the meat-to-bread ratio is now about 8% to 92%.

And they are rarely steamed anymore, with the bun on top while the meat cooks on the griddle.

I still buy them occasionally but not nearly as often.

by Anonymousreply 146February 20, 2020 10:12 AM

I've been able to get some well-fitting clothes at Old Navy and H&M that are still going strong a few years later. Not sure what the quality is like at the moment, though, as I haven't bought anything there too recently.

by Anonymousreply 147February 20, 2020 10:40 AM

Sony Electronics products. Up until the late 1990s they were the best quality you could buy. Now they are at best comparable or less comparable to other electronic brands.

by Anonymousreply 148February 20, 2020 10:42 AM

In the 80's when I was high school/college I had an occasional obsession with Campbell's Pork & Beans.

It was a weird junk food product but I loved it. Little beans in a greasy tomato/pork sauce with one (always just one!) little cube of white pork fat floating on the very top of the can when you opened it. Disgusting! But it was sooo good. The cans were also kind of half-sized. Sometimes I'd buy one and just eat it out of the can with a spoon.

Decades later (the 2010's) I see on the shelf and the memories come flooding back. I hadn't had it since the 80's I buy a can take it home and open it. It looks almost the same. There's the little pork fat cube! But it seems... different? When I taste it I can't believe it. Any trace of pork fat or grease has been replaced by a bizarre, thin, sweet syrup. Sure enough I look on the label and the second ingredient is corn syrup. I think they took out all the fats! I couldn't even finish it and my memories were ruined. Boo!

by Anonymousreply 149February 20, 2020 12:19 PM

R149 I find Libby's Vienna Sausage, and Underwood Deviled Ham Spread both suffered the same fate.

by Anonymousreply 150February 20, 2020 12:21 PM

ACURA's- The used to score high in road tests and reliability. Now according to Consumer Report's they are generally unreliable and score poorly in road tests.

by Anonymousreply 151February 20, 2020 1:09 PM

Coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 152February 20, 2020 2:22 PM

I think Honda/Acura really suffered from the Fukushima disaster, more than other Japanese manufacturers. It might be just my perception, but I think it was at that time and after when they tried to fix their most immediate production operations and neglected R & D.

by Anonymousreply 153February 20, 2020 2:42 PM

Hormel Chili stopped using kidney beans and replaced them with navy beans some years ago. Too bland and weird. The navy beans are mushy with a mashed potatoes flavor. I switched to Campbell's Hot and Spicy. It isn't the least bit hot and spicy so I add my own heat so not a problem.

by Anonymousreply 154February 20, 2020 4:14 PM

Yes, r141! Mostly Lehigh and Northampton Counties, but Leesport and Kutztown in Berks County as well.

by Anonymousreply 155February 21, 2020 11:01 AM

I had a McDonald's chocolate thickshake the other day for the first time in a few years. They've definitely changed the formula. It was disgusting: I threw it away.

by Anonymousreply 156February 21, 2020 11:04 AM

Poppers! They were great in the 70s and 80s - then the government banned them and the formula kept changing.

by Anonymousreply 157February 21, 2020 11:09 AM

[quote]Fragrances are absolute garbage now.

It's the fascist EU Government. All the fragrance houses are being forced to reformulate, including Chanel, because stuff like oak moss and other additives have been banned because a few people are allergic to it. So everyone is being forced to suffer due to a few. It's affecting all the classic fragrances like Diorissimo. But even before then reformulations were getting out of hand due to ingredients becoming expensive or a desire to meet different markets. e.g. Gucci's Envy or Paco Rabanne's Calandre: once great fragrances which are now ghosts of their original selves.

by Anonymousreply 158February 21, 2020 11:10 AM

Such much ice cream now has glucose (instead of sucrose) and stablisers and gum in it now to slow melting. It's disgusting. Even premium brands are guilty. It's becoming very very difficult to source out pure ice cream: expense is no guarantee. I pay $15 a box containing four small fruit pops: but they're made with pure fruit or chocolate and cream with no shit.

by Anonymousreply 159February 21, 2020 11:17 AM

I yearn for Calandre and Diorella. And Beene's Red. Sigh

by Anonymousreply 160February 21, 2020 12:11 PM

I recently (forgive me) had a sudden craving for a McDonald's cheeseburger, in all its weird ketchup-mustardy grossness. It cost only a dollar or two, and seemed exactly the same as in my distant boyhood, flattened and oozy, with sliced pickles and sad little onion specks. So it satisfied that particular craving and didn't set me back much.

by Anonymousreply 161February 21, 2020 12:19 PM

Most of the food we grew up with is full of high fructose corn syrup instead of pure cane sugar. There is a difference. Coca Cola is so protective of their secret recipe yet doesn't care it doesn't taste the same as it had for almost a 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 162February 21, 2020 12:56 PM

R161 Interesting. I find the McDonald's cheeseburger to be one of the most "changed" items I know of. My main issue is that the bread is now cottony and stale. The rest of it, I don't remember. However, maybe they have changed back to an older, better version. A friend says it depends on the store, and that the McDonald's nearest me is "actually very good."

Anyway, I'm on day 11 of a "viral upper respiratory infection," so I wouldn't be able to perceive any quality differences today. Maybe next week. (God help me, PLEASE, next week. This cough HAS to go away!)

Oh, and I don't like the French fries anymore, either (or didn't the last times I had them, 3 years ago and more).

by Anonymousreply 163February 21, 2020 1:06 PM

Everything is crap now. Even designer labels.

We need new products and services based on new companies and new concepts.

All these legacy brands have been stretched to the max.

by Anonymousreply 164February 21, 2020 1:20 PM

Even Brooks Brothers has decided to suck. They no longer include pockets on their most basic item, the original version of the Oxford cloth button-down. And they want $140 for each one. Sure...I want a shirt I can't put my cellphone in.

by Anonymousreply 165February 21, 2020 1:30 PM

R165-agree on the BB shirts. They suck now.

by Anonymousreply 166February 21, 2020 1:56 PM

R163 I didn't notice a difference in the bread on my cheeseburger, but I didn't remember the buns being all that great in the old days. Probably last ate there 10 years ago, more often in my childhood.

by Anonymousreply 167February 21, 2020 2:33 PM

R149 I agree about Campbell's Pork & Beans. Removing trans fats from all these products killed them.

by Anonymousreply 168February 21, 2020 2:48 PM

r128 Similarly Famous Amos cookies was the like if heroin and food had a baby, they were originally sold in malls and were more like crispy blobs than the traditional cookie shape. I think I would prefer Chips Ahoy today.

by Anonymousreply 169February 21, 2020 2:50 PM

Toilet paper has shrunk so in width that like half the holder is bare. They got smart and all the brands did it so it's not like we can switch. Kirkland used to be good but I think it shrunk too, even if it didn't it got way to rough. It used to be the best.

by Anonymousreply 170February 21, 2020 3:14 PM

There is a McDonalds off the main shopping street in Geneva Switzerland that is good. All Swiss McDonalds are acceptable because they have to serve Swiss produced food. Anyway this one pay attention to texture and delivers a tiny McDonalds hamburger that tastes like beef and the bun is toasted and - wait for it - actually has crisp edges.

by Anonymousreply 171February 21, 2020 11:28 PM

I agree R161 - McD's hamburgers and cheeseburger taste unchanged to me from my 80s childhood, including the bunsm which in my memory were always cottony and shitty as the other poster described them. It's almost strange to find something like that, that hasn't changed in so long. To be fair (and yes, I weigh 500 lbs and am typing this with a wand attached to my head) whatever chemical flavour cocktail McD's uses in their burgers is FUCKING DELICIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 172February 22, 2020 3:14 AM

Geoffery Beenes' Red is my favorite fragrance of all time.

Thanks for the reminder r160.

by Anonymousreply 173February 22, 2020 3:57 AM

I got Smartfood white cheddar popcorn recently and it was awful. It's way different than how I remembered it. Tasted like all filler and not like white cheddar goodness.

by Anonymousreply 174March 6, 2020 3:59 AM

R174, Smartfood popcorn has also become rife with rock-hard, unpopped half-kernels that will break your teeth. The bags should have warnings on them.

by Anonymousreply 175March 6, 2020 4:27 AM

r137 is everything I expect from a Datalounger: Ignorant of today's top brands, possibly hasn't been to a mall in the past two decades but manages to be insulting as well. Also would rather post than google and come back to share what they think after 30 seconds of education about the brand.

Seriously, ZARA has been a major player in fashion in the U.S. for more than a decade and in Europe before that. And its clothes are actually kind of small, not the place a big or tall person would shop.

by Anonymousreply 176March 7, 2020 11:36 PM

Frosted Flakes and Pop Tarts now taste fake, not like they did in the 70's/80's.

by Anonymousreply 177March 7, 2020 11:38 PM

OP and R10 Peanuts are dirt cheap... that makes now sense... maybe fatass Gen Z wants even more sugar so they had to take out peanuts for more caramel.

by Anonymousreply 178March 7, 2020 11:54 PM

Taco Bellā€™s nacho chips used to great in the 70ā€™s and 80ā€™s. They were firm and crispier. Then they changed to a lighter chip. It gets soggy 10 seconds after the fake cheese is put on.

by Anonymousreply 179March 8, 2020 1:43 AM

Lipton tea used to be a blend of pekoe, orange pekoe and black tea. Unilever bought it and now it is just black tea.

by Anonymousreply 180March 11, 2020 5:58 AM

Democratic presidential candidates.

by Anonymousreply 181March 11, 2020 7:39 AM

As opposed to freshly heart-attacked, spitting old Bernie Sanders, R181?

by Anonymousreply 182March 11, 2020 9:30 AM

Sperry has decided that the Topsider brand shall self-destruct. I've sent back at least three pairs in the past twelve months or so. The inner sole now becomes quickly corroded by foot sweat, even when I'm wearing socks, and the shoe quickly becomes uncomfortable. The inner sole decomposes in some shoes. The expensive version, the Gold Cup, became unwearably lumpy in just a couple of wearings.

I know this news will have some of you kicking up your heels, but Topsiders had been my most comfortable shoe for decades, and I have yet to find a shoe that fits as well.

by Anonymousreply 183March 11, 2020 9:43 AM

My miltown doesn't knock me out nearly as fast as it used to. And don't get me started on my Seconal.

by Anonymousreply 184March 11, 2020 9:52 AM

Do they still make Seconals? How about Tuinals?

by Anonymousreply 185March 11, 2020 9:58 AM

Bucks County would never have declined in quality.

by Anonymousreply 186March 11, 2020 10:10 AM

r185 I would expect as much from someone who wants toonies

[quote]Tuinal was the brand name of a discontinued combination drug composed of two barbiturate salts (secobarbital sodium and amobarbital sodium) in equal proportions.

by Anonymousreply 187March 11, 2020 10:12 AM

R183 Try these. Rancourt makes great versions of preppy staples. Iā€™ve got a pair of their bluchers and they are terrific. All made in Maine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 11, 2020 10:41 AM

Kraft Dinner, which I believe is Kraft Mac & Cheese in the U.S., is not the same as I remember from my childhood. Now, it tastes like cardboard. Annie's is much better.

by Anonymousreply 189March 11, 2020 10:50 AM

What bothers me is the incredible shrinking products. I have an elderly aunt that I shop for. She has one guilty pleasure. Every Friday night she bakes herself a DiGiorno four cheese pizza. Hot Friday night and then leftovers Sat & Sun lunch. They just keep getting smaller and smaller but the not the price of course. A year ago you couldn't get the box in the standard plastic grocery bag. Now you can get two in one bag. Now it's just Friday night and Sat lunch.

by Anonymousreply 190March 11, 2020 11:24 AM

Thank you, r188. I guess $250 is the price to pay now (vs. the now $110 Sperry).

by Anonymousreply 191March 11, 2020 1:27 PM

[quote] Interesting. I find the McDonald's cheeseburger to be one of the most "changed" items I know of. My main issue is that the bread is now cottony and stale. The rest of it, I don't remember. However, maybe they have changed back to an older, better version. A friend says it depends on the store, and that the McDonald's nearest me is "actually very good."

The onions are almost non-existent now.

by Anonymousreply 192March 11, 2020 1:33 PM

Ah! The obvious:

Yo' Mama.

by Anonymousreply 193March 12, 2020 9:20 PM

I (perhaps weirdly) find a number of McD's products unchanged since my 80s/90s childhood. Cheeseburgers, Big Macs, Quarter Pounders (my fast food love), their standard chicken burger thing. It's actually occurred to me before that they specifically *hadn't* changed (i.e. before convos like this one).

R189 is right about Kraft Dinner, though. Very different to my childhood, mushier and less flavoursome now (yes, I know that flavour was delicious artificial magical chemicals). Kraft Singles also fucked. The orange ones only. Mushy, thin, sticky, they completely lack the smooth, bouncy texture they used to have.

by Anonymousreply 194March 14, 2020 11:46 AM

I recently bought some retro board games to play with my nephews and nieces-Life, Clue, Monopoly.

They were all so cheaply made with paper-thin boards and slight plastic playing pieces.

So disappointing

by Anonymousreply 195March 14, 2020 12:27 PM

Kraft mac & cheese - had it for the first time in years recently. They arenā€™t even noodles any more but strips of pasta

by Anonymousreply 196March 14, 2020 12:33 PM

The quality of hot trade really seems to have declined lately.

by Anonymousreply 197March 14, 2020 12:42 PM

I wouldn't say they are quality but I just had Starburst jellybeans and Golden Grahams and that shit was definitely not the same. Gross. Everything is turning into a piece of crap. R195 Oh yea. All those games made today are complete junk. The life board is no longer 3D. I went and found all real vintage copies of those games. I have LIFE from every decade starting with the first edition through the 90s. A few different Monopoly's including one from England and the big wood collectors edition. I also have all the different CLUE versions including the collectors edition with the actual figures of people. I break them out at parties and people go crazy. It immediately takes you back. The early versions of LIFE are a completely different game that some people hate and I always have to read how to play it. I even have MALL MADNESS, SWEET VALLEY HIGH (which is a favorite with my nieces), WELCOME BACK KOTTER, E.T., WHEEL OF FORTUNE. The ANNIE board game. Haha. I really want FIREBALL ISLAND but that shit is like $300 - $500.

by Anonymousreply 198March 14, 2020 1:18 PM

i bought some Kool-ade lemonade recently and it tasted awful. Didn't taste a thing like lemonade. I don't know how these companies stay in business.

by Anonymousreply 199March 14, 2020 2:42 PM

R50: Try out Kerry Gold butter and cheddar cheeses. They're both very good.

by Anonymousreply 200March 14, 2020 3:47 PM

The problem is continued and increasing reliance on brands. As one said upthread: Corporate America cheapens everything for more profits.

Eat only freshly prepared foods. Ok so gmo veggies arenā€™t tasty and meat is stuffed with chemicals but at least youā€™ll have some control than over something you eat out of a box or can.

by Anonymousreply 201March 14, 2020 7:17 PM

Yes R175!!! I got the Wegmans brand White Cheddar popcorn last week and couldn't believe how fluffy, dry, and fully popped the kernels were compared to Smartfood. I didn't realize how damp and unpopped Smartfood was.

But the Wegmans brand isn't as good as Smartfood used to be either. It was too buttery and not cheesy enough.

by Anonymousreply 202March 20, 2020 4:25 AM

Yes R175!!! I got the Wegmans brand White Cheddar popcorn last week and couldn't believe how fluffy, dry, and fully popped the kernels were compared to Smartfood. I didn't realize how damp and unpopped Smartfood was.

But the Wegmans brand isn't as good as Smartfood used to be either. It was too buttery and not cheesy enough.

by Anonymousreply 203March 20, 2020 4:25 AM

Well, SMELL Miss R176.

Smell her!

by Anonymousreply 204March 20, 2020 4:40 AM

R202, I've switched from Smartfood popcorn to Angie's Boom Chicka Pop brand, and it's better quality, with less of an issue with unpopped kernels. I haven't had very good luck with store brand popcorn (I'm on the West Coast, so no Wegmans out here) but I'm continuing to try out different brands. Never going back to Smartfood though. I need my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 205March 20, 2020 5:37 AM

I don't think bananas taste like they did years ago. Have they hybridized them to the point that the taste could have changed?

by Anonymousreply 206March 20, 2020 6:28 AM

Look out for anything that contains cheese (frozen pizza, hot pockets, etc....) because it's not pure cheese. There are frozen brands that have to place "with real cheese" on it so I'm assuming others might have some kind af reformulated cheese substitute. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 207March 20, 2020 6:46 AM

Peanut M&Ms have been mentioned but I don't think anyone mentioned that about two years or so they started putting smaller peanuts in them. Because of this, the candy tastes different because of the chocolate to peanut ratio, and I personally no longer like them.

They must have gotten complaints because now they sell a version of the Peanut M&M's which are labeled, "Mega," which have larger peanuts... which is basically just what they were before they changed them.

by Anonymousreply 208March 20, 2020 6:52 AM

[quote]I don't think bananas taste like they did years ago. Have they hybridized them to the point that the taste could have changed?

Well I think you can taste the difference between Dole & Chiquita.

by Anonymousreply 209March 21, 2020 3:37 PM

Didn't they crack down on using ambergris as a perfume base as well? That would alter everything.

by Anonymousreply 210March 21, 2020 3:45 PM

If you want to eat great tasting bananas try organic ones. They only cost a little bit more, but they're worth it.

by Anonymousreply 211March 21, 2020 8:08 PM

Xander was eating a Twinkie on an episode of Buffy I was watching recently and it was like twice the size of a modern Twinkie. All Hostess products are shadows of their former selves.

by Anonymousreply 212April 17, 2021 10:21 PM

I donā€™t know about quality, but the box of Wheat Thins you now get at the grocery is Lilliputian, the size you used to find only at a convenience store. The old ā€œnormalā€ size is now called giant or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 213April 17, 2021 10:27 PM

Someone mentioned Oreos in another thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214April 26, 2021 6:00 PM

People are talking about crackers- My favorites are Snacklins- theyā€™re like vegetarian pork rinds

by Anonymousreply 215April 26, 2021 6:26 PM

Trans people. Remember when you'd see the busted trannies walking the streets for Johns, cat-calling people, each other - and referring to themselves as trannies? They had a sense of fun about it. The "theys" are a snooze fest and have of them can't even bother to attempt styling a cheap k-mart wig or look passable (They Smith - that means YOU).

Also, Snapple. They used to have glass jars, interesting flavors like Orange Iced Tea - and the snapple lady. Whoever bought snapple fucked it all up.

by Anonymousreply 216April 26, 2021 6:47 PM

Can't believe how shitty some clothing has become. I used to buy name brand socks & underwear at TJMaxx, and it would last reasonably long. Lately, I've bought stocks (Adidas or Nike) that didn't even make it a year. Also, boxer briefs are.....messed up? Especially with everything having 5% spandex or some other stretchy hybrid. No support.

Bought a Bissell vacuum three years ago, have replaced the handle twice. It's a pivot- style vacuum, and the handle is a thin angled piece of cheap plastic secured to the other plastic part with a single screw. So of course the handle ends up fracturing. Also the hose piece between the base & upper part cracked. All three times I contacted Bissell directly and they sent me free replacement parts. They obviously know there are quality issues.

Other quality issues: the home I moved into recently has a lot of builder-grade finishes, and they are looking like shit. This is an old house, and they pulled out all the old windows and doors and put in new ones. Some of the new stuff is already showing wear & tear. New doesn't always mean "better", especially on a house.

by Anonymousreply 217April 26, 2021 7:53 PM

R216 and you didnā€™t dare fuck with those trannies. They were not afraid at all to shank a bitch.

The ā€œtheysā€ are such fragile crybullies.

by Anonymousreply 218April 26, 2021 8:04 PM

Anything made in China.

by Anonymousreply 219April 26, 2021 10:21 PM

Snapple diet lemon iced tea in plastic bottles tastes like Pledge. It tastes ok in glass bottles.

by Anonymousreply 220April 26, 2021 10:30 PM

[quote] I recently...had a sudden craving for a McDonald's cheeseburger

Don't do it often but I get them three at a time, and two milks.

by Anonymousreply 221April 26, 2021 10:32 PM

Fudgsicle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222April 26, 2021 10:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!