Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Laura Dern Says She Was Blacklisted By Gay Hollywood Mafia After Ellen Episode

After being offered the Ellen episode

"I was excited. I didn’t think twice about it. It was a great opportunity. And then the calls started coming in once I’d said yes, from a couple of advisers in Hollywood who were out gay men, [telling me] to not do it. A lot of people in my life really worried. And I was like, “This is ridiculous.” This is where I grew up in a bubble and didn’t realize we weren’t there yet or something. "

Then after the Ellen episode the scripts being sent to her STOPPED COLD. Laura Dern didn't work for one solid year.

"I was doing successful independent movies, and, only months before that, I was in Jurassic Park, the most successful movie ever. So it was like, you’re being offered this, you’re being offered that — and it just stopped. Which is kind of wild. By good fortune of the long path of a career, you can look back and say, how great to have it be felt, how backward we are. I took time off when I had my son, and I feel like, in a way, it gave room for less opportunity. I will say, for women, it’s hard to take time off by choice, because then you feel like you have to start all over when you’re coming back to something."

by Anonymousreply 169January 26, 2020 1:12 PM

What did she do?

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2020 2:59 AM

She played Ellen's love interest in the coming out episode.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2020 3:06 AM

I believe her. Funny, I loved Jurassic Park growing up, but I forgot she was in it, and a few sequels, like a brain disconnect or something.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2020 3:07 AM

Being blacklisted for that makes zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2020 3:09 AM

R4 Apparently, they are saying there were gay people in Hollywood, that just didn't like the thought of there being too much focus on homosexuality in entertainment. Both she and Ellen suffered career setbacks after the episode.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2020 3:14 AM

Oh. Boo. Hoo.

As if she’s the only actor to experience a slump.

So tired of the blame game.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2020 3:15 AM

What is your problem, r6? It's not as though she was whining about what happened or expressing regret for doing the role; she merely reported on what happened to her when she played a lez 20+ years ago and her surprise that it was such a big deal at the time.

What is it you think one should do when experiencing the effects of homophobia, anyway? Just shut up and be a good little boy or girl and make sure not to blame anyone?

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2020 4:26 AM

I was wondering why she didn't work much after JP. Were the gays scared that having that kind of exposure from Ellen would force them out of the closet? This was just a few years after many AID's deaths, I was recovering from personal losses myself and just lived in a bubble during that time period.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2020 4:40 AM

She didn't say anything of the sort, OP. She said some gay men advised against doing the role - because they knew what the mainstream reaction would be. Whereas she thought the country was more advanced than it actually was, because she wasn't experiencing what those gay men were. I've linked the full interview if anyone is interested in reading it without OP's idiotic editorialising.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2020 4:53 AM

Her career didn't dry up as karma for breaking up a marriage?

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2020 4:53 AM

Love Dern. She’s everything in Wild at Heart. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2020 4:59 AM

Thanks R9 for clarifying the interview. Now it makes more sense. I don't know how much the offers drying up had to do with being on Ellen though.

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2020 5:10 AM

Maybe because Ellen was on a shithole broadcast TV that was aired all over the country during primetime so more rednecks were watching it and probably were shocked. Ellen was supposed to be funny and hetero, but to come out during primetime to the whole puritan nation was such a tectonic cognitive dissonance for many rednecks. If it were on HBO, it wouldn't be this much consternation.

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2020 5:15 AM

R12 Well she talks about the time she was on Oprah the show getting a bomb threat, and her needing a full time security detail. Given that kind of reaction, and how willing Hollywood execs are to give in to those kind of mouth breathers, I could believe it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2020 5:20 AM

You wanna talk blacklisting?

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2020 7:18 AM

R15 we know. No need to remind us.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2020 8:58 AM

I always remember her from I Am Sam. Love that movie!

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2020 9:03 AM

[quote]"I was doing successful independent movies, and, only months before that, I was in Jurassic Park, the most successful movie ever.

A few months before? Didn’t Jurassic Park cum out in 1994? And Ellen came out in 1997. That’s three years.

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2020 9:28 AM

She sounds nuts to me. I can not figure what she is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2020 9:36 AM

I'm not sure what the point is about the two gay men who advised her not to do the part, but she's so vague we have no idea WHY they advised her not to. It was the 1990s and for all we know, they suggested that she'd get backlash from homophobes.

Nothing about the "gay mafia" in the article, by the way. OP is trolling with that.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2020 9:39 AM

She didn't work in 1994, either, and did nothing but two TV show guest appearances in 1995, which was immediately after Jurassic Park.

I'm not saying she wasn't affected by playing gay on TV because people absolutely were, but at the same time, she had quite a dry spell after Jurassic Park BEFORE she did "Ellen."

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2020 9:40 AM

Was she only in one episode of Ellen? So Ellen squirt it and quit it? Hit it and quit it? She was only a one night stand? Not very good queer representation.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2020 9:45 AM

Absolutely none of the stars of Jurassic Park, Sam Neil, Laura Dern, Joseph Mazzello, Ariana Richardson, benefited from being in Jurassic Park. Because the real star of the movie was the 🦕🦖.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2020 9:52 AM

I don’t have a problem R7, but you should have a problem with Dern not speaking up on this 20 years ago when it happened.

She did not have to name the names of the gays who warned her not to take the Ellen role. By not doing so, she contributed to the ongoing homophobia. Why aren’t you calling her out on that?

Oh, and R7? Do fuck off, you fat Frau.

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2020 10:03 AM

R23 ahem

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2020 10:29 AM

[quote] She did not have to name the names of the gays who warned her not to take the Ellen role. By not doing so, she contributed to the ongoing homophobia.

Read the excerpt, not the OP's made-up and misleading thread title, goofus. The gay men who warned her weren't the problem and weren't responsible for blacklisting her; they just let her know she might face a backlash if she played gay on prime time TV.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2020 11:45 AM

I call bullshit. Like R21 said, she wasn't working much after Jurassic Park. In fact she returned to mainstream movies after 6 years in 1999 with October Sky. That filmed in 1998. This is all made up.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2020 11:46 AM

I really wish Enlightenment had been able to do season 3.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2020 11:50 AM

I am always amazed at just how much of a bubble some of you live in and how you will twist yourself into knots to find an answer to a question when the most simple answer is staring you in the face. She played a gay role and the scripts stopped coming. Her time off was Hollywood putting her career on pause for playing gay and nothing else. And if you don't think that stuff still isn't going on, then you are a fool.

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2020 12:02 PM

SAILORRR!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2020 12:18 PM

Bullshit. No "gay mafia" was responsible for a "backlash."

Blame gay people for homophobia? Welcome to Trumplandistan.

Fuck this.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2020 12:19 PM

[quote] Being blacklisted for that makes zero sense.

It just shows how petty and childish so many in our ranks can be.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2020 12:19 PM

But what scripts stopped coming ? They were not coming before the episode. She was doing TV stuff before and TV stuff after. Practically the same output. Now if she was actually doing mainstream movies and then that stopped, yes I'd believe her but that was not the case.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2020 12:19 PM

No one denies that this did go on and is still going on R29.

Why didn’t Dern speak up earlier? It’s not like she got off the bus from Podunk, had one hit and then was blackballed. She had a voice, she was privileged being the daughter of two successful, acclaimed actors, so she had an edge. She had a responsibility to speak up back then, and certainly earlier than now.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2020 12:21 PM

Because R34, people are flawed and scared and no one wants to call out bullshit alone. So they wait for others to step forward first or they allow enough to pass and for their own personal situations, usually financial, to solidify before putting it all on the line.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2020 12:28 PM

[quote]I'm not sure what the point is about the two gay men who advised her not to do the part, but she's so vague we have no idea WHY they advised her not to. It was the 1990s and for all we know, they suggested that she'd get backlash from homophobes.

Right, I don't follow the logic in this purported blacklisting. There's always some comfortable old queen who will say no to anything, everything, who doesn't want his boat rocked and may have tried to steer her away for from the excess of caution that these sorts often have. But aside from the possibility, remote as it seems to me, that she might have lost some potential straight romantic roles because of the association with a famous TV episode (knowing that every review would reference Dern's last role as a lesbian), she seems not to have characterized as been a traditional romantic sex vixen lead. Why exactly was she punished so completely as is implied? The possibility of fewer offers or different sorts of offers I could understand, but for them to dry up completely as some sort of penalty period is perplexing all around.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2020 12:31 PM

That's odd: the jobs kept coming for Ellen after that episode.

by Anonymousreply 37January 24, 2020 12:33 PM

R37, no they did not. What are you talking about? Between the cancellation of that show and voicing Dorrie in Finding Nemo/her talkshow, she was pretty much blacklisted.

by Anonymousreply 38January 24, 2020 12:40 PM

No, she wasn't. Her show ran another year and got more publicity than it ever did before her coming out, when it was cancelled she got another sitcom almost immediately, and then the chatshow just five years after the cancellation of the first show. She also did specials in between and got plenty of fawning media attention.

She's been trying to claim she was blacklisted since though.

by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2020 12:45 PM

A very thinly-veiled excuse for homophobia. The gays didn't keep Laura from working, her lack of talent did.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2020 12:51 PM

R39 You are absolutely right. People forget that the "Ellen" show was not a hit. It was one of those shows that was on but no one you knew actually watched it. The coming out was the most publicity it ever got. During that time she starred in a romantic comedy movie that bombed. She was always better as a comic than an actress. She was also a very unattractive woman which limits the lead roles you are going to get. She got another chance a sitcom a few years later. Lots of stars of in actual hit shows don't get another show that fast. But she was still all over doing her comedy. Then Finding Nemo came and she was terrific and people bought the allusion that she was a nice person and the rest is history. No blacklist here.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2020 12:53 PM

R35, I appreciate your point of view.

My take is that she’s a daughter of privilege who got helped along the way by the status of her mother and father. Had they known, they should have spoken out.

I call bullshit on the whole thing. And if it’s not, then she’s a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2020 1:07 PM

She's always been a spoiled brat. I don't care if she's a DL icon, she plays almost every character identically. Her performance in Little Women, one of the only roles she's ever had that has required warmth, came off as disingenuous and sarcastic. She can't act unless she's playing a bitch. Well, if the shoe fits...

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2020 1:10 PM

Laura “look at me, I’m woke” Dern.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2020 1:10 PM

Blacklisted by the Gay Hollywood Mafia.

Did David Geffen threaten to come to her house and blast Snoop Dogg on her stereo?

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2020 1:13 PM

She's very tall and although attractive, not a classic beauty. Plus her 'persona' is an intense one. Not exactly rom-com material.

I've always liked her, but she's sort of in the Sigourney Weaver/Maggie Gyllenhaal camp.

Don't know why she would go back 20 years and whine, esp. when she's been having so much success lately. 'Her own worst enemy'?

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2020 1:17 PM

Maybe it dawned on people that her face wasn't "American Sweetheart" enough to carry big-budgeted movies after Jurassic Park?

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2020 1:23 PM

If she was such a big star why was she doing a guest spot on Ellen in the first place. Obviously she thought the episode would be lauded, in reality nobody cared.

Everyone knew she was a dyke (bar the dimmest fraus) but she just wasn't interesting.

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2020 1:46 PM

Which dinosaur did she play in Jurassic Park?

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2020 1:48 PM

Maybe she should look in a mirror for the answer.

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2020 1:52 PM

Oh, shut up Laura.

by Anonymousreply 51January 24, 2020 2:14 PM

she is a no talent fug. that's why.....horrid non actress.

by Anonymousreply 52January 24, 2020 2:14 PM

Not only does this make no sense, but why would she be blacklisted by the Gay Hollywood Mafia? Next question--who the fuck is the Gay Hollywood Mafia? Third question: how the fuck is this alleged mafia so powerful tat it can "blacklist"? Fourth: if it's so powerful, why wouldn't it be working to promote gay people and demote the presence of straight people?

Bull. Shit.

by Anonymousreply 53January 24, 2020 2:29 PM

JFC, is anyone here capable of reading beyond the title of a thread? Laura Dern never claimed to be blacklisted by the “gay mafia”; that was some bullshit the OP made up.

by Anonymousreply 54January 24, 2020 2:57 PM

I wish there really was a gay Hollywood Mafia. Then maybe we could get intelligent, meaningful, adult-centric gay movies and TV shows, and also musicals that aren't brain-scarring furry-baiting trans-pandering embarrassments like [italic]Cats[/italic] or sappy, sterile, creepily corporate Mormonish schlock like all those Disney miscastathons. Then maybe they would finally make the pedos sleep with the fishes so that #MeToo can also help its littlest victims: exploited child actors, especially gay ones who are coerced into it by predatory adults.

by Anonymousreply 55January 24, 2020 2:58 PM

Yeah r55, and we could get the gay version of Club Ba-Da-Bing.

by Anonymousreply 56January 24, 2020 2:59 PM

If there were a Gay Hollywood Mafia we'd have even worse gay movies than we have already. Bear City 3, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 57January 24, 2020 3:00 PM

Laura, let's do lunch.

by Anonymousreply 58January 24, 2020 3:08 PM

No comment.

by Anonymousreply 59January 24, 2020 3:10 PM

Playing gay comes with penalties? Try being gay. Fuck these people.

by Anonymousreply 60January 24, 2020 3:11 PM

She should have listened to her advisers when it comes to playing gay. I advised Heath Ledger not to do "Brokeback Mountain," but he did it anyway and now he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 61January 24, 2020 3:17 PM

I leave this here without comment, except for one: damn, Damn, DAMN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 24, 2020 3:20 PM

This is the type of obnoxious, delusional talk that will grant Pugh the Oscar.

I will be glad to see Dern's hokey act crumble when she realizes she didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 63January 24, 2020 3:21 PM

R63, I think it's an obnoxious thing for Dern to say, but all evidence thus far indicates Dern will win the Oscar. She's beaten Pugh in all the other major awards.

by Anonymousreply 64January 24, 2020 3:30 PM

Laura was the prettiest in that Ellen episode. Instant crush.

by Anonymousreply 65January 24, 2020 3:33 PM

Gee, I’m so glad JLo didn’t get the nomination. The last thing we’d need is someone campaigning desperately to get an Oscar. Someone who will ride the pity train to the golden statue!

by Anonymousreply 66January 24, 2020 3:50 PM

R64: Pugh's nomination sent a rather distinct message that she's still in the game. The Academy clearly loves her and she's been touted a "rising star." They love awarding rising starlets in BSA and Dern's woe is me tale is sure to ruffle all the eldgergay voters in the Academy.

You might be right, but I'm hope Dern will get Glenn Close'd.

by Anonymousreply 67January 24, 2020 3:55 PM

Maybe she's negle ring that Hollywood just hates her in general and won't forgive her for her Mother-daughter Oscar campaigning antics!

by Anonymousreply 68January 24, 2020 3:56 PM

*neglecting to realize

No clue how that happened!

by Anonymousreply 69January 24, 2020 3:57 PM

The campaign antics of Melissa Leo certainly worked in her favor. She was absolutely shameless, taking out full-page ads in Variety.

by Anonymousreply 70January 24, 2020 4:02 PM

No one gives a rats ass about Florence Shit.

by Anonymousreply 71January 24, 2020 4:06 PM

R70: actually, those ads came in at the later end of voting at which point too many votes had been cast. People have gone on record and said had those ads came out earlier it would have cost her the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 72January 24, 2020 4:13 PM

R71: damn, bitch. Calm down. It doesn't have to be Pugh- anybody could win over Dern now if she continues this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 73January 24, 2020 4:13 PM

I think Ellen‘s coming out did a lot more good for gay representation on TV than [italic]Will & Grace[/italic]. An openly gay woman playing an openly gay woman did a lot more good than a heterosexual man playing a gay man who thinks it’s only OK to be gay as long as you reinforce negative stereotypes of men alongside a then-closeted gay man who played by a gay man who reinforced almost every negative gay stereotype in the book.

by Anonymousreply 74January 24, 2020 4:15 PM

Hard to compare since it's so much easier to be a lesbian.

But quite telling that W&G brass felt they couldn't cast an openly gay man.

by Anonymousreply 75January 24, 2020 4:22 PM

R72, this article on Leo mentioning her shameless campaigning is dated February 4, 2011, and the awards were held on February 27, 2011. According to Studio Daily, the cut-off for voting is about 5 days before the ceremony takes place: "Final voting opens Tuesday February 12, and all ballots are due Tuesday, February 19, in advance of the 91st Oscars, scheduled for Sunday, February 24, 2019, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood." So that still Leo a good three weeks to go before the awards took place.

by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2020 4:25 PM

Sorry--here's the article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2020 4:26 PM

You guys do know you've been trolled by OP, right? Laura neither uses the word blacklisted nor implies that there is a gay mafia. She was asked about her experience after that episode aired and she answered. I don't see her trying to get sympathy for this either. She was discussing her career up until now and OP choose to dramatize that one small part of the interview.

by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2020 4:30 PM

I pissed my pants, but, I blame a hole in the roof.

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2020 4:34 PM

R78 Just reading the body of OP's post should've been enough for people to realise the title was bullshit - which goes to show how many DLers will post in a thread having only read the title and nothing else. It's no wonder this place gets inundated with trolls when so many posters are so easily fooled.

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2020 4:37 PM

R80, right? And Laura has been an advocate for gays for a long time, I don't ever remember her milking that for sympathy or exploiting that.

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2020 4:40 PM

The Gay Hollywood Mafia is like the Deep State. Neither exists.

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote]The Gay Hollywood Mafia is like the Deep State. Neither exists.

Neither do Laura's morals.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2020 5:08 PM

The Deep State is real. The Gay Mafia is not but should be.

by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2020 5:14 PM

The Deep State as defined by Trump is NOT real.

by Anonymousreply 85January 24, 2020 5:25 PM

Anyone who denies the existence of the Deep State is part of the Deep State.

by Anonymousreply 86January 24, 2020 5:27 PM

Pugh deserves the win. She delivered a much more genuine and fresh performance than Dern and showcased a greater emotional range. Dern plays every character the same.

by Anonymousreply 87January 24, 2020 5:37 PM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 88January 24, 2020 5:37 PM

R88 for R86.

by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2020 5:37 PM

Give it to yourself, Marcia.

by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2020 5:38 PM

[quote] Dern plays every character the same.

Bull--her character in Enlightened is nothing like her characters in Inland Empire or Twin Peaks.

by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2020 5:39 PM

Even the Grauniad admitted it's a thing. Sorry/not sorry to burst your bubble.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92January 24, 2020 5:41 PM

I hung out with her about a month ago and she was lovely! So fun and easy-going. A mutual friend was a bit player in Big Little Lies and said Laura was the only one of the leads that hung out with the non-famous cast. She said Zoe Kravitz was THE worst!

by Anonymousreply 93January 24, 2020 5:45 PM

R93, that doesn't surprise me. Dern has never come across as fake to me but a lot of times it's these B and C listers who have inflated egos (way too much belief in their own self-worth).

by Anonymousreply 94January 24, 2020 5:46 PM

Clearly the OP was trolling.

by Anonymousreply 95January 24, 2020 5:54 PM

Yes, r95, but most of the hysterical hens in here are never going to stop cackling long enough to read what Laura Dern actually said (which had nothing to do with a gay mafia blacklisting her) or that it was about two sentences within a much longer interview, not an issue she's making into some big deal.

by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2020 6:12 PM

Someone I love is a Trump supporter...he was totally brainwashed into believing in the deep state. The Deep State is Cheney and the military industrialist. Trump is so stupid he plays right into their hands. The Deep State is Fox News but my dumb friend can not figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2020 6:20 PM

[R88] for [R86] for 2020!

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2020 6:20 PM

The deep state is just another name for a shadowy sect of governmental bureaucracy that did things like stage right-wing coups in Central American countries, but make no mistake, it's a part of the United States government. I knew that already, and there's really nothing deep or state about it.

by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2020 11:14 PM

Clearly that was for R92.

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2020 11:16 PM

[quote]Love Dern. She’s everything in Wild at Heart.

"She's everything"? I didn't know people actually used that expression outside of BuzzFeed headlines. Must have been invented for the inarticulate.

by Anonymousreply 101January 25, 2020 6:26 AM

This may be one of the dumbest threads in DL history. Ellen certainly was blacklisted after she came out. Although the coming out episode was a monster hit, ABC slapped a parental advisory on the show the next season, there were boycotts, an me the show was eventually pulled. Ellen's CBS show didn't air until 2001, and that was also a short lived flop. I think what got Ellen back into the groove was housing the Emmys right after 9/11 - she really did a terrific job.

I think there's a lot of young posters here. Being gay and out was a pretty brutal existence until not that long ago. Back in the 90s? You really have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 102January 25, 2020 7:29 AM

Poor little privileged straight white woman.

by Anonymousreply 103January 25, 2020 7:57 AM

For the majority of actors being out of acting work for a year - meaningful work - occurs regularly.

I love Laura Dern but she contributed little to Jurassic Park. The sequel didn’t do anything for Julianne Moore’s career either. It’s a dinosaur movie, ffs.

by Anonymousreply 104January 25, 2020 8:08 AM

Is she afraid she might lose the Oscar in a surprise upset?

by Anonymousreply 105January 25, 2020 8:51 AM

[Quote] She said Zoe Kravitz was THE worst!

I thought it would've been Reese.

by Anonymousreply 106January 25, 2020 9:08 AM

It what world is getting a second eponymous sitcom three years after the cancellation of your first one evidence of blacklisting?

by Anonymousreply 107January 25, 2020 9:52 AM

No, R102, that’s what she’s been trying to pretend happened.

In reality nobody cared about the show BEFORE her coming out.

W&G premiered the following season and lasted because unlike Ellen it was actually funny.

by Anonymousreply 108January 25, 2020 9:55 AM

So despised by Hollywood they had her host the Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 109January 25, 2020 9:58 AM

Laura Dern is much better than her

by Anonymousreply 110January 25, 2020 10:08 AM

[quote]She said Zoe Kravitz was THE worst!

I've heard she's very aloof like her mother or rather not a bad person but she's not going to initiate conversation with you or make small talk unless you talk to her first.

[quote] but most of the hysterical hens in here are never going to stop cackling long enough to read what Laura Dern actually said

You'd think by now in 2020 people would know to actually read the source article after everything we've been through with the media these past few years. Apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 111January 25, 2020 11:22 AM

Oprah who played Ellen’s therapist on the episode also says she was harassed for being on that coming out episode.

And yes, Ellen’s career was hurt too. Not only did ELLEN get cancelled (sure, the show wasn’t doing great to begin with but this was the nail), her stardom just died for a number of years.

She only came back after her great role in Disney’s Finding Nemo and then she got the the smash daytime talk show

by Anonymousreply 112January 25, 2020 11:29 AM

[quote]And yes, Ellen’s career was hurt too. Not only did ELLEN get cancelled (sure, the show wasn’t doing great to begin with but this was the nail), her stardom just died for a number of years.

No, the coming out is what brought her to prominence in the first place. The show was at best a half-known also ran to most people prior to that.

And she got plenty of media attention in that short five year span. That was when she was dating Anne Heche.

[quote]She only came back after her great role in Disney’s Finding Nemo and then she got the the smash daytime talk show

She'd already gotten the talk show before the film.

by Anonymousreply 113January 25, 2020 11:42 AM

That reminds me of Designing Women getting its highest ratings ever in season six after -- and because -- Delta Burke had left dramatically, only for most people who tuned in to realize why the show had never taken off before (like The Golden Girls).

That kind of thing happened it with other shows, like Murphy Brown and Cybill. Cybill (which premiered around the same time as 'These Friends of Mine' before Ellen lobbied for the show to be called after her) was only cancelled, Shepherd recently said, not because of low ratings but because she didn't sleep with Les Moonves. She also said the show which ran for only three seasons actually would've run for EIGHT if only she had slept with him!

Cybill's mostly just deluded. Ellen is more acutely aware of what happened to her show but likes trying to drum up sympathy for herself. In reality Hollywood has always been much too kind to her.

by Anonymousreply 114January 25, 2020 11:52 AM

She got that stupid rom-com -- The Love Letter -- almost immediately after the show was cancelled. That was the film Tom Selleck was promoting (he was fourth billed, she was second above the title) when he appeared on Rosie and she called him out on guns.

There was a woman who actually did face consequences for. Of course, Ellen would never challenge anyone on her show, which is why she (not Rosie) is Hollywood's go-to daytime dyke.

by Anonymousreply 115January 25, 2020 11:59 AM

This was always known though. And it has been discussed on DL many times. Idk how you all are acting shocked. Ellen lost her show not long after, Laura Dern didn’t work for YEARS and Oprah was getting hundreds of hate mail and phone calls daily from white people calling her a nigger and to go back to Africa, and some black People upset she supported homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 116January 25, 2020 11:59 AM

R114 Cybill had 4 seasons in 3 years. And didn’t it get cancelled because of her? The shows ratings were fine, it was something with her being a raging bitch that got them to can the show.

by Anonymousreply 117January 25, 2020 12:01 PM

This was always known though. And it has been discussed on DL many times. Idk how you all are acting shocked. Ellen got another show only three years after.

by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2020 12:02 PM

[Quote] the coming out is what brought her to prominence in the first place. The show was at best a half-known also ran to most people prior to that.

And yet it was immediately canceled?

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2020 12:06 PM

3 years with no work shows you nothing?

by Anonymousreply 120January 25, 2020 12:06 PM

[quote] And didn’t it get cancelled because of her?

Networks will mostly put up with bitches so long as they don't cause budget problems and are bringing in cash. Ellen is smarter than Cybill and only bullies 'little people' though.

Like Ellen, Cybill just wasn't a big hit. There was no conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 121January 25, 2020 12:06 PM

Was she really paid 2 million for Mr Wrong as per IMDb?

by Anonymousreply 122January 25, 2020 12:07 PM

[Quote] She got that stupid rom-com -- The Love Letter -- almost immediately after the show was cancelled. That was the film Tom Selleck was promoting (he was fourth billed, she was second above the title) when he appeared on Rosie and she called him out on guns.

Had the movie already been filmed by the time her show was cancelled?

Anyone can get third rate film work

by Anonymousreply 123January 25, 2020 12:07 PM

[Quote] I think what got Ellen back into the groove was housing the Emmys right after 9/11 - she really did a terrific job.

I had forgotten about that. Yes, she was great and I remember it was nice to see her prominently back on TV. And then came Finding Nemo in 2003

by Anonymousreply 124January 25, 2020 12:09 PM

I personally though the Ellen Show was funnier before she came out. Once the show started focusing on her lesbianism, it got bland

by Anonymousreply 125January 25, 2020 12:10 PM

Getting a third titular TV show within five years of the other two being cancelled -- because of lack of interest not LESBIANISM!!! -- is incredibly lucky.

by Anonymousreply 126January 25, 2020 12:13 PM

R126 not when you’re an actor/comedian. Barely working for 5 years is awful.

Her other show was canned within one season.

by Anonymousreply 127January 25, 2020 12:15 PM

Part of the reason it was likely canned is the potential audience didn’t want to see Ellen on TV

by Anonymousreply 128January 25, 2020 12:17 PM

Due to low ratings, R127, not a anti-lesbian conspiracy as she keeps lying about.

by Anonymousreply 129January 25, 2020 12:18 PM

[Quote] Getting a third titular TV show within five years of the other two being cancelled -- because of lack of interest not LESBIANISM!!! -- is incredibly lucky.

The lack of interest had to do with her lesbianism.

The reason her talk show is titular is because many years have gone by and Ellen has shown what a great personality and show host she is.

by Anonymousreply 130January 25, 2020 12:19 PM

Will and Grace and Sex and the City were really permeating pop culture at the time and were big hits. They still have enough of a fanbase to have gotten films and a reboot, respectively.

Maybe -- JUST MAYBE -- it was because her shows aren't funny.

by Anonymousreply 131January 25, 2020 12:20 PM

R130 is an intern of Ellen's.

by Anonymousreply 132January 25, 2020 12:21 PM

She is a poor man's Laura Linney. And her role in Marriage Story was so forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 133January 25, 2020 12:32 PM

This is why I want Florence to win. She hasn't said boo, and is clearly too smart to. Team Florence!

by Anonymousreply 134January 25, 2020 2:08 PM

THIS is why you want her to win, R134? Talk about illogical. Sorry, but your desires won't be happening.

by Anonymousreply 135January 25, 2020 2:11 PM

R135 I also want her to win because her performance in Little Women surpassed Laura's in Marriage Story by lightyears.

by Anonymousreply 136January 25, 2020 2:16 PM

I loved her in Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 137January 25, 2020 2:16 PM

Well, it's most likely not going to happen, R136.

by Anonymousreply 138January 25, 2020 2:17 PM

R138 Glad you've got such confidence in your craft, Laura.

by Anonymousreply 139January 25, 2020 2:33 PM

R139, you're welcome, Flo.

by Anonymousreply 140January 25, 2020 2:52 PM

I think she should star in a sequel called Big Little Tits.

by Anonymousreply 141January 25, 2020 3:12 PM

Hollywood remains the most homophobic city in the country today.

by Anonymousreply 142January 25, 2020 3:23 PM

First of all, Hollywood isn't a city, genius R142. Second, I doubt very seriously that Los Angeles is more homophobic than Biloxi, Mississippi or Cincinnati or Cleveland or Dallas or any number of other cities.

by Anonymousreply 143January 25, 2020 3:29 PM

madame dern was black listed by thems that enjoy good acting. finito

by Anonymousreply 144January 25, 2020 3:30 PM

R142 is right.

by Anonymousreply 145January 25, 2020 3:32 PM

About what, R145? Hollywood being a city?

by Anonymousreply 146January 25, 2020 3:34 PM

No, about it being homophobic. The N-word can end your career about 10 times faster than the F-word can.

by Anonymousreply 147January 25, 2020 3:39 PM

Who knew Laura Dern would be all the rage on DL?

by Anonymousreply 148January 25, 2020 3:39 PM

Hollywood is mostly homophobic today because on the increasing importance of foreign markets, particularly China.

Lesbians are loved though, gay men are still despised.

by Anonymousreply 149January 25, 2020 3:40 PM

And how does that differ from Dallas, Biloxi, etc., R147? And how are gay men despised but lesbians loved, R149? What bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 150January 25, 2020 3:40 PM

Ellen is a flyover favourite.

Name ONE gay man who is.

by Anonymousreply 151January 25, 2020 3:42 PM

When did Dallas and Biloxi ever claimed to be more progressive when they really were? And there are at least as many homosexuals in Dallas as there are in Los Angeles. You know what they say about the two things that come from Texas, right?

by Anonymousreply 152January 25, 2020 3:42 PM

R143, R146 DL is all harsh with the grammar police and now we have the geography police? Yes, Hollywood is technically a municipality and not a city, but it’s not like calling a dog a cat.

by Anonymousreply 153January 25, 2020 3:43 PM

It's bullshit to say Los Angeles (Hollywood is NOT a fucking city) is more homophobic than any other city in the country.

by Anonymousreply 154January 25, 2020 3:44 PM

No, R154, it isn’t. You see the constant push for gay erasure from the media and from corporate America? How much of it is coming from LA?

Nobody moves to Biloxi, Mississippi to become a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 155January 25, 2020 4:04 PM

Los Angeles isn't homophobic, but Hollywood is. Get it? Got it? Good.

by Anonymousreply 156January 25, 2020 4:08 PM

"You see the constant push for gay erasure from the media and from corporate America?" MARY R155!

R155 and R156 seem to have time traveled back to the Hollywood of 1986.

by Anonymousreply 157January 25, 2020 4:15 PM

R157 All I'm saying is you have to be blind to not notice that out gay actors don't get much work after they come out.

by Anonymousreply 158January 25, 2020 4:20 PM

When Ellen came out it was huge. However, a few episodes later there was one called, "Its a gay, gay gay gay world." Spence wakes up in a world where everyone is gay. All of a sudden it was the straight people being the object of ridicule. They went down to the "straight" neighborhood to gawk at the freaks. It was profound really and I think it was the last straw. The show was canceled shortly thereafter. Making fun of the straight people was too much to handle.

by Anonymousreply 159January 25, 2020 4:44 PM

Yeah, back when she was closeted most people weren't even sure of the show's name.

Ellen only really took off AFTER she came out.

Now she's inescapable, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 160January 25, 2020 4:48 PM

[quote][R155] and [R156] seem to have time traveled back to the Hollywood of 1986.

Hollywood has traveled back to the Hollywood of 1986.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161January 25, 2020 5:28 PM

Ellen was pretty hilarious back in the day but sometimes she can be rude to her guests. She was funny on Roseanne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 25, 2020 7:13 PM

Has Ellen always been ugly?

by Anonymousreply 163January 25, 2020 9:36 PM

I never thought of Ellen as ugly in her younger, "Open House" days when she was in her early 30s.

She started looking much "harder" when she got closer to her 40s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 25, 2020 11:15 PM

That's what happens, R164, when you're a hard person.

by Anonymousreply 165January 25, 2020 11:27 PM

The very low body fat/vegan thing doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 166January 26, 2020 9:21 AM

Folks hate Laura caause she buys awards, with family help....gross

by Anonymousreply 167January 26, 2020 1:08 PM

Her IMDb says otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 168January 26, 2020 1:10 PM

she want be a man....did she have her clit made into a cock?

by Anonymousreply 169January 26, 2020 1:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!