Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What does “What I Did For Love” mean?

The ultimate song of the ultimate musical — but what is Diana Morales saying? That she did it all:

A) for the love of performing and the Broadway life:

or

B) for the love of the audience?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2020 3:38 PM

She did the same thing Meat Loaf did for love.

by Anonymousreply 1January 16, 2020 10:27 PM

She did it all for the love of the art (performing).

by Anonymousreply 2January 16, 2020 10:33 PM

A is a much more empowering interpretation. B is a bit depressing.

by Anonymousreply 3January 16, 2020 10:36 PM

Anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 16, 2020 10:38 PM

The song was written so the show would have a hit tune that singers could perform as if it were a song about romance.

That's why the lyrics don't feature backstage allusions. When the show was new, some smarties scorned it as a commercial sell-out, but everyone's cool about it now.

by Anonymousreply 5January 16, 2020 10:40 PM

That’s the problem with the song, imo — within the context of the musical we know full well that it’s not about romantic love, but is offered up as the final answer to the director’s inquiry about why they put themselves through this.

But it doesn’t get granular enough about what she’s actually talking about, probably for the reason r5 provides.

Have Kleban or Kirkwood ever elaborated?

by Anonymousreply 6January 16, 2020 10:46 PM

"In the penultimate scene of the production, one of the dancers has suffered a career-ending injury. The remaining dancers, gathered together onstage, are asked what they would do if they are told they can no longer dance. Diana Morales, in reply, sings this anthem, which considers loss philosophically, with an undefeated optimism; all the dancers concur. Whatever happens, they will be free of regret. What they did in their careers, they did for love, and their talent, no matter how great, was only theirs "to borrow", was to be only temporary and would someday be gone. But the love of performing is never gone. They are all pointed toward tomorrow."

Suppose it could be said about any career; I mean you have "Finishing The Hat" from Sunday In Park With George"...

It's all same thing, the sacrifices, things you gave up or didn't do, and so forth in blind devotion to pursuing a craft, profession, etc.... It usually isn't until the end when things are all over that one looks back and realizes how much was lost, but having made that choice (and would do so again) one isn't concerned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 16, 2020 10:46 PM

A.

by Anonymousreply 8January 16, 2020 10:50 PM

I’ve seen that on Wikipedia before but who knows where that interpretation comes from. (I’m not saying I disagree with it, by the way.)

by Anonymousreply 9January 16, 2020 10:55 PM

There is also fact dancers in general punish and abuse their bodies terribly, again all for love of their craft. Performing or whatever with a sprained ankle, broken toe, etc.. in other words pain or injury that would have most of us lying in bed sucking down Vicodin .

by Anonymousreply 10January 16, 2020 10:57 PM

Anal.

by Anonymousreply 11January 16, 2020 11:24 PM

Answer is "A".

What I Did For Love is answer to "I Hope I Get It" which opens ACL. Anyone who has been to or involved with an open casting call for dancers can relate.

You show up maybe after or between classes, tired or whatever and enter a place full of scores or hundred all after same thing; a spot in a show. Maybe you're not feeling well, perhaps have an injury.. none of that matters; you get a number, change, begin warming up and wait for your group to be called. You could have been doing something else with that time (maybe you blew off your side job that was hanging on by a thread), or anything ranging from a funeral to hot date... It doesn't matter you not only want to dance, but need to eat/money to pay bills.

Then it begins, numbers are called and things aren't always neat and polite. Choreographer, director and others involved with show running things can be nice, or have attitude all dancers are effing idiots and interchangeable. You may think you're the hottest "triple treat" on Broadway or wherever, but so does every other dancer in that room.

Audition/casting call drags on; you're tired, maybe hungry and yes, that injury is still giving you pain, but having made it past first few cuts you're still in for the kill. Meanwhile choreographer, director or whoever has a nasty habit of insulting, calling names and otherwise being not very nice. Why would anyone put up with such BS? Well "What I Did For Love" is answer. In end providing you prevail and win a coveted spot in a show that is your reward. Lather, rinse and repeat for rest of your performing career.

For various reasons dance was big in 1970's through 1980's. Shows on Broadway, films on screen, books, etc... But always had soft spot for ACL because it at least attempted to show what is behind/life of jobbing dancers; troupers as it were. Like good number of corps de ballet, most theatrical dancers will never rise out of chorus. But their active performing lives often aren't that long , a dancer's life take a toll on body so that while many start young (late teens through early twenties), their done by thirties or maybe forties if not sooner.

by Anonymousreply 12January 16, 2020 11:28 PM

Forgot link to show what one was speaking about; open casting calls for dancers aren't for faint of heart. You either know your stuff, or get trampled upon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 16, 2020 11:30 PM

It’s not the ultimate musical.

Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 14January 16, 2020 11:32 PM

The Aristocrats!

by Anonymousreply 15January 16, 2020 11:32 PM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 16January 16, 2020 11:34 PM

What I did for love, I now do for 50!

(For you .... 75!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2020 12:11 AM

It's more clever if the double meaning is intentional. In context, the performer is singing about their passion, but the allure of applause is known to every performer.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2020 12:16 AM

R16. Lol

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2020 1:05 AM

What is it that we're living for? Applause, applause! Nothing I know brings on the glow Like sweet applause You're thinking you're through That nobody cares Then suddenly you Hear it starting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2020 2:38 AM

Words tell whole story.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2020 2:39 AM

OP, after hearing this rendition by the greatest singer in the world, you will have no more questions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2020 4:49 AM

LM: More questions than answers. what happened to "Look my eyes are dry"?

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2020 5:16 AM

I've always thought the song was a bit of a cop-out--just an excuse to have a "hummable" song that might cross over. And why have Morales sing it? She already had her comedy number, "Nothing." It might have been more poignant to have one of the less featured characters sing it, to make the point that being in the spotlight isn't the point. (Except, of course, it is, and the ensemble members have settled for the ensemble because they weren't distinctive enough to break out and, well, a girl's gotta eat).

I have always found it to be a dreary and dishonest show. As if Michael Bennett would have been willing to spend twenty or more years in the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2020 2:55 PM

Priscilla Lopez was in those workshops in the 70s that led to the writing of the musical. Maybe the reasons she gave for living the gypsy life impressed Kirkwood the most, so he gave the song to Diana (who was based on Lopez).

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2020 9:02 PM

When Ethel Merman sang it on "The Merv Griffin Show" she was of course singing about Ernest Borgnine forcing her to engage in "The Difficult Brown."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2020 9:07 PM

R24

Didn't Michael Bennett kill off his other production at time (Ballroom) or maybe became disinterested due to putting all his efforts into ACL?

R25

Life of a gypsy dancer isn't easy especially in HCL New York City, but at least today they are union so that brings bennies like healthcare and so on.

Thing was late as 1970's finding *ahem* affordable housing in Manhattan wasn't so difficult. It may have been a share in Hell's Kitchen or UWS, but doable. Nowadays unless bringing in five or six figures things are almost impossible....

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2020 9:10 PM

Sinead, the brown wasn't difficult for Ethel, that is, until she met Ernest, that is.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2020 9:11 PM

Ok, I'll bite, what does HCL stand for?

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2020 9:13 PM

R26

As 1970's wore on became sick to death of songs and or musical numbers from ACL. Everywhere you went it was "At the Ballet", "What i Did For Love", etc....

On another note; where are they now? OBC of ACL, good to see a good number are still with us, this given ravages to performing arts in 1980's onward from HIV/AIDS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2020 9:17 PM

She fucked Mr. Karp.

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2020 9:26 PM

Can you blame her, r31?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2020 9:30 PM

... and then he died.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2020 9:56 PM

It was weird growing up with this show in the 70s--I had heard so much about it, and then when i finally saw it on Broadway when i was in high school I thought, "This is it?" I thought most of the characters were pretty flat and their problems weren't terribly interesting, and it really only had two big songs from it: "One" and "What I Did for Love?"

What I didn't realize at the time were two things:

(1) How groundbreaking it was to talk about people in the chorus at all (besides the one sing in "Applause"), and

(2) People interesting in Broadway musicals LOVE musicals about Broadway and theater, which is why "Gypsy" and 'Follies" are among the two most revived musicals ever in professional theatre

I still haven't changed my critical opinion of this show, but I do feel I understand its appeal better now.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2020 1:43 AM

In an attempt to rekindle her campaign, Elizabeth Warren is now crooning " What I Did For Love" at her rallies. It's an emotional moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2020 2:02 PM

Damn, now I want to see this movie! This was the first movie my Mom and I recorded on our brand new VHS player. We watched it while it recorded it off HBO, then watched the recording to make sure we got it.

Mom passed away in 2016 from Dementia. I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2020 4:07 PM

Look, I'm sorry but what the fuck what Ethel Merman's talent beside giving voice to a coal furnace?

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2020 5:28 PM

Love of show business, Broadway, the stage. Sheesh. Did you understand the message in the Wizard of Oz OP?

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2020 8:33 PM

who is this matt karp?

by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2020 9:23 PM

r39 This is Matt Karp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 22, 2020 9:42 PM

Maureen Stapleton hated A Chorus Line. She thought it was degrading that actors had to stand onstage and beg for a job.

Of course, Maureen was never in the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 41January 22, 2020 9:49 PM

In the movie version, they changed the song to Cassie singing about her love for Zack. That, and the Landers sister never actually being seen dancing, in a movie about dancing, ruined the movie.

by Anonymousreply 42January 22, 2020 9:52 PM

Well yeah, r42, that and the fact Attenborough had no clue what the musical was about.

by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2020 9:59 PM

[quote]Love of show business, Broadway, the stage. Sheesh. Did you understand the message in the Wizard of Oz OP?

Of course I did! Pretty women are nicer than ugly ones!

Anyway, thanks for begging the question -- NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 44January 23, 2020 3:07 PM

PattiLou Pone sings: What I Did for Lunch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 23, 2020 3:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!