Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is your favorite painting? (Part II)

Or what are some of your favorite paintings, if you can't choose just one? It seems like there was some interest in continuing this topic.

I'll start:

[italic]Salutat[/italic], Thomas Eakins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600August 11, 2020 6:02 AM

Link to Part I.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 14, 2020 5:57 AM

Renoir: The Girl in the Yellow Hat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 14, 2020 6:12 AM

Britney Spears "Squiggles and Flowers"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 14, 2020 6:16 AM

[italic]And then we saw the daughter of the Minotaur[/italic], Leonora Carrington

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 14, 2020 6:22 AM

R3, lol!

by Anonymousreply 5January 14, 2020 3:20 PM

Chaim Soutine

Carcass of Beef, 1925

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 14, 2020 5:07 PM

Carpaccio's Dream of St. Ursula. I don't know what is it about this one but I could stare at it for hours. It just makes you feel like you're peeping into some rich Renaissance-era girl's cosy bedroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 14, 2020 5:30 PM

Current favorite, on view at the Philips Collection: Félix Vallotton, "La passante."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 14, 2020 5:30 PM

So technically crosses the line - but love Andreas Gurky

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2020 6:16 PM

Dr. Phil and his sons nude

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2020 6:24 PM

[italic]Man Drying His Leg[/italic], Gustave Caillebotte, 1884

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2020 10:32 PM

[italic]Dante and Virgil[/italic], William-Adolphe Bouguereau, 1850

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2020 10:48 PM

Why the hell did you post that R10 and why did it oddly turn me on?

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2020 11:28 PM

R12 You beat me to it. One of the strangest and most homoerotic works of art.

by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2020 11:49 PM

Now that's real art, R10. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2020 11:53 PM

Love that photo, R9. Gursky digitally removed dog walkers and a factory building but he still thought it was an accurate representation of a modern river. A print sold for $4.3 million in 2011, making it the most expensive photograph ever sold.

by Anonymousreply 16January 15, 2020 12:29 AM

I'm a huge Chagall fan. I love so many, but this is my current favorite.

by Anonymousreply 17January 15, 2020 11:54 AM

Velazquez

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 15, 2020 12:05 PM

You forgot the link, R17.

by Anonymousreply 19January 15, 2020 2:58 PM

My favorite painting ever since taking Art History in college has been Correggio's Jupiter and Io (depicts Jupiter coming down as smoke to have sex with Io, a demi-goddess). If you look at the link, you'll see Jupiter's face in the smoke right about to kiss Io.

I was in Vienna a few years back and entered the art museum there. It was late and there wasn't much time before it closed, so I rushed around to get a look at everything. As I was leaving (through the gift shop), I noticed postcards with this painting on it. I had no idea this was displayed at the Vienna Museum!! Unfortunately, it was too late to go back as the museum was closing. Next time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 15, 2020 3:23 PM

Klimt The Kiss

by Anonymousreply 21January 15, 2020 3:23 PM

Kween

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 15, 2020 3:43 PM

loverly light!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 15, 2020 3:49 PM

This is an odd one, mostly because I have no idea why it affected me so. I recently visited the National Museum of African American History & Culture and saw this painting in their art exhibit. It's just a simple painting of a man walking away from the artist on a deserted beach but I came back to look at it multiple times before I left.

I didn't know then, and don't know now, why this appealed to me so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 15, 2020 4:23 PM

Thanks for the link R24. I like it.

by Anonymousreply 25January 15, 2020 9:48 PM

This one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 16, 2020 3:05 PM

portrait of Elizabeth I at Hatfield House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2020 2:06 PM

Classic art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2020 2:14 PM

Frank Stella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2020 2:44 PM

Magritte

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2020 2:47 PM

I also love Chagall and Van Gogh, but this Picasso caught me off guard at the Pompidou and I just really love it. The detail in person was mesmerizing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2020 2:51 PM

Les Bunnies d’Avignon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2020 2:53 PM

Picasso

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2020 3:28 PM

I really wish that posters would also give 1-2 sentences of why they like a particular artwork. Otherwise, it's just people posting random pictures.

by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2020 3:31 PM

R20, when you go back to Vienna for Correggio's Io, also look for his companion piece, Ganymede, which is hanging nearby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote]Otherwise, it's just people posting random pictures.

What's wrong with that? Whether you like a painting or not isn't an intellectual process. It either appeals to you or it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2020 3:37 PM

Gotta love Caravaggio!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2020 3:38 PM

Shut up, R36. It's an opportunity to educate others rather than just a waste of bandwidth.

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2020 3:43 PM

I love Chagall’s paintings overall because of the fantastical, undefined subjects and the play of color and movement. There is nothing subtle about his paintings. They should be gaudy looking with so many saturated colors and so much going on but they are elegant somehow, and they should be silly because they feature, for example, a car with a human face or a flying, violin-playing goat or cow, or a majestic juggling chicken, but they’re both childlike and serious and not at all superficial. And they should be called expressionist or cubist or fauvist or *something* but they don’t quite qualify as any of those labels. They’re just Chagall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2020 3:44 PM

The Polish Rider

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 22, 2020 3:46 PM

*”car” above should be “cat.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 22, 2020 3:46 PM

It’s kind of annoying that some of my favorite paintings are hanging in lots of dorm rooms as posters, but c’est la vie.

Van Gogh’s Cafe Terrace at Night. The painting shows what I *feel* when I am in a place like the one pictured, lit up in the dark with lights. Everything feels intense and hyperreal—but if you take a photo, it looks so much duller, not exciting at all. Van Gogh was able to represent emotional resonance with his color contrasts and his frenetic lines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 22, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote]Shut up, R36. It's an opportunity to educate others rather than just a waste of bandwidth.

My, my, my. Aren't you bossy and controlling. Go ahead and show off your knowledge of art. No one's stopping you.

by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote]Shut up, R36. It's an opportunity to educate others rather than just a waste of bandwidth.

Wouldn't you rather be talking about Louis Vuitton bags ad nauseam?

by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2020 3:59 PM

This was posted back in the past thread but I'll post it again because it is one of my all time favorite paintings

Christina's World (1948) by Andrew Wyeth (July 12, 1917 – January 16, 2009): Is one of the best-known American paintings of the middle 20th century. It is a tempura work done in a realist style, depicting a woman semi-reclining on the ground in a treeless, mostly tawny field, looking up at a gray house on the horizon; a barn and various other small outbuildings are adjacent to the house.Wyeth was inspired to create the painting when he saw her crawling across a field while he was watching from a window in the house. Christina was crippled and I see so much in this piece of work.

I personally see/feel so much from this piece of work! First, it reminds me of some movie shot that you would see in some MGM movie. Think Elizabeth Taylor in the some field. Then I see acceptance and resolution. Christina has accepted her handicap and it's just part of her life. But, regardless of her handicap she is determined to make it to the house. I feel motivation too. These are just some of the things I see and feel when I view this work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2020 4:13 PM

Truth coming from the well armed with her whip to chastise mankind

Jean-Léon Gérôme (11 May 1824 – 10 January 1904)

I mean... what more is there to say about this one? The title and the meaning of it are so clear. But, Gérôme made at least four paintings personifying Truth as a nude woman, either thrown into, at the bottom of, or emerging from a well. The imagery was inspired by an aphorism of the philosopher Democritus; "Of truth we know nothing, for truth is in a well."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 22, 2020 4:19 PM

Another one of my favorites! I have a lot.... "Dog on a Leash" (1912) by Giacomo Balla (July 18 1871 – March 1 1958): The painting is also known as "Leash In Motion"

Balla was a futurist and this is probably the most famous of his works. I tend to gravitate towards art that I can identify with and connect with. So, I just like seeing the woman walking with her doggie. But, what is really captivating here for me is how effectively Ballas has captured movement. You can feel the motion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47January 22, 2020 4:34 PM

Maybe not favorite piece - but I do love Rothko. Rothko Capel is the ideal - one of the best things about visiting Houston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 22, 2020 5:24 PM

Monet's Quai du Louvre

I like it because it's pretty. Is that good enough, R34?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 22, 2020 7:19 PM

[quote]It's an opportunity to educate others rather than just a waste of bandwidth.

You don't say. I copy other people's paintings on threads like this if I really like them. I can't say I've ever copied someone's explanation. They'd have to say something awfully clever for me to bother.

by Anonymousreply 50January 22, 2020 7:33 PM

O-kaaay.... time for me to deselect this thread. You folks enjoy your pretty pictures.

by Anonymousreply 51January 22, 2020 7:59 PM

Bye, R34. Kisses.

by Anonymousreply 52January 22, 2020 8:05 PM

You can't be R36 and R45. Those are two different people.

by Anonymousreply 53January 22, 2020 8:49 PM

R40 Do you know Frank O’Hara’s poem Having a Coke with You, that references that painting? He worked at MOMA, knew lots of the painters of his time and many of his poems are about art and artists. I had a bf who had never been to the Frick and I shared this poem with him and then we went on a Friday afternoon to see it and had one of our loviest dates

I put the written form of the poem here because it’s easier to scan and find the part about the painting, but there is also a video of him reading it that I will post too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54January 22, 2020 9:25 PM

Having a Coke with You by Frank O’Hara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 22, 2020 9:27 PM

I'm enjoying this piece by contemporary Israeli artist Raphael Perez because, well, I find it lovely and quite enjoy homoerotic themes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 22, 2020 9:51 PM

[italic]Ship at sunset[/italic], Edward Moran -- I love paintings with nautical themes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57January 22, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]Maybe not favorite piece - but I do love Rothko. Rothko Capel is the ideal - one of the best things about visiting Houston.

Alas, not any more. was just in Houston and the Rothko CHapel is closed, ostensibly for "renovations", but seems murky and and dubious.

by Anonymousreply 58January 22, 2020 10:58 PM

R57 makes me think of this song.

As the day gave way

To nautical twilight

I turned

My back on

The force of which I was made

I abandoned it

Rupturing the delicate balance

When I left my world for his

Day after day

As my city fades

And is swallowed by his sea

She is boundless

Even breaking on the beach

Every hour commenced

No fusion and fission

Can unify or drive a force to split

He has been possessed

To drink of the spices

From the east by his liquid mistress

Which then pushed me into the lair

Of uranium, she divides time between

Greed and his twin, tyranny

Day after day

Cities all betrayed

And the earth, his songs lay their blade

She is boundless

But by then she has been frayed

As the night gives way

To nautical dawn I can see

I must activate the force of which I'm made

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 22, 2020 10:59 PM

The Course of Empire, a series of 5 paintings depicting the dawn and collapse of a civilization.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 22, 2020 11:06 PM

The collapse of a once great civilization

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 22, 2020 11:13 PM

Jean-Léon Gérôme’s Bashi-Bazouk. It was owned by Jayne Wrightsman who donated it to The Met a few years before her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 22, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote]I'm enjoying this piece by contemporary Israeli artist Raphael Perez because, well, I find it lovely and quite enjoy homoerotic themes.

It looks very similar to R26.

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2020 1:33 AM

Willem van de Velde

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2020 1:38 AM

Currently it's Vallotton's La Passante, currently on view at the Philips Collection in Washington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2020 11:15 AM

R65 That looks like a pretty prominent and iconic piece by him, how is it not in the current exhibition at the Met?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2020 11:20 AM

R66 Because it’s owned by the private Phillips Collection in DC and the Met therefore has no claim to it?

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2020 11:41 AM

R67 You don’t really understand how special exhibits in art museum work do you?

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 11:46 AM

R68 I understand the Phillips would need to lend their work to the Met. The Met wouldn’t be able to just snatch a privately owned painting. And it is possible that the Phillips was not willing to lend out a painting that it wants to display.

I’ve been to many Van Gogh exhibits that featured some well-known works, but all were missing some of his best-known works because, well, the galleries don’t all have access to all paintings. Even the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam isn’t able to display all of Van Gogh’s most famous works.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2020 11:51 AM

Taste in art is highly individual and personal. Sometimes so personal that it is virtually impossible to express exactly why you prefer one painting over another, other than to say "it just does it for me".

Such as R12's contribution. By an artist I'd never heard of (DL, ever a learning experience). Highly erotic, outstanding, memorable composition. In short, it just does it for me.

Such as Julian Schnabel's broken plate paintings. For most people, this period of Schnabel's work would remind them of an horrendous moving mishap. Or like some view Picasso's abstract paintings: "Looks like something my five-year old did in kindergarten". Unfortunately, the Schnabel plate painting that I saw once somewhere, that was so memorable and impressive that I thought if I had the money I'd buy it, I haven't been able to locate since. But that's the thing about personal taste in art. It grabs you and never lets you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 11:58 AM

"La Passante" is not owned by the Philips Collection, as R67 assumes; it's owned by Vicki and Roger Sant, whose collection of Nabi artists (if I understood correctly) is promised to the Philips and is currently forming the exhibition there. No doubt the Met would have liked to include it in *their* exhibition, R66 (it's a small painting but somehow feels monumental), but I guess the two exhibitions just coincided.

There's some overlap between the two exhibitions in Vallotton's prints. The painting of his that's closest in tone and style to La Passante that I saw at the Met was part of a triptych of shoppers. This is a poor reproduction; the woman's dress is a vivid rose and the subtle swing of her hips and shoulders as she walks away from us, with that quasi apotropaic design on her dress looking back at us, is vaguely Catherine Tramell-like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2020 12:20 PM

[quote]Taste in art is highly individual and personal. Sometimes so personal that it is virtually impossible to express exactly why you prefer one painting over another, other than to say "it just does it for me".

I agree with you 100%, R70. But, is it really so hard to share a bit of commentary about the image that one posts and why they feel it "worthy" of bringing to the attention of others? I mean... no one has to agree (or, they might) but it is interesting to see/learn another perspective. Like... how many can see Elizabeth Taylor in some field from some MGM movie like R45 does?

Some of us are not nearly as cultured and/or sophisticated compared to the rest of you. Threads, such as this one, opens an opportunity for teaching and learning. However, some of you are just so arrogant, condescending, and just plain nasty. You're just mean and hateful!

This thread reminds me of another one; "How well do you know your table settings?" of where the conversation was quite interesting, entertaining, and very educational. Unfortunately, you had those snobbish ones that entered the discussion who callously looked down upon some of us that had to be satisfied with using a plastic spoon for a large portion of our life. But, it doesn't mean there isn't a thirst and/or curiosity to learn more and do better.

Alas... c'est la vie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2020 2:15 PM

[quote]However, some of you are just so arrogant, condescending, and just plain nasty. You're just mean and hateful!

... says the bossy, rude person who wrote "Shut up." Nothing insulting about my comments at R36. Too bad you don't tolerate disagreement.

by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2020 3:27 PM

Seems a crime not to include Hockneys LA pool paintings. I don’t like most of this later work - but these did get the color, isolation and Homoeroticism of the LA pool scene well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2020 3:56 PM

"Taste in art is highly individual and personal. Sometimes so personal that it is virtually impossible to express exactly why you prefer one painting over another, other than to say "it just does it for me". "

That's why I always liked Sister Wendy Becket, she had the gift of being able to say what was good about any painting she discussed, what made it unique and marvelous. And even on the rare occasions when she admitted that she didn't love a painting herself, she'd say what made it important.

So yes, I'm going to join in asking people to say a few words about why they love a particular painting. I like hearing people describe what they love, and we're not asking for essays here, just a few words. I'll start by saying I love Rockwell Kent's paintings of Greenland, because I've never seen another artist capture the play of light on snow. Hell, I've never even seen another artist try! Most of them paint snow as pure white or pearly gray, when sunlight actually brings out a play of warm and cool colors, and high contrasts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2020 7:37 PM

Bright sunlight and shade brings out a play of warm and cool colors in snow, but Rockwell Kent also captured how the filtered light of high clouds hit a snowy landscape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 23, 2020 7:55 PM

There are so many Norman Rockwell (February 3, 1894 – November 8, 1978) paintings to love that it becomes difficult to choose. Rockwell was Americana! "Freedom From Want" (1943) is a favorite of mine but it is ever so slightly edged out by; "The Problem We All Live With" (1964)

The painting just so captured the time period. You have the innocence of Ruby Bridges (you see it as you view the painting closer) that must be protected/shielded by a wall from all of the hate that is beyond that wall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 23, 2020 8:22 PM

"Freedom From Want" Norman Rockwell (1943)

"someone" could put a play on this and note that the painting includes no one of color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 23, 2020 8:25 PM

Your link doesn't work, Bossy R78 / R34.

by Anonymousreply 79January 23, 2020 8:28 PM

"Freedom From Want" Norman Rockwell (1943)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 23, 2020 8:32 PM

Mary Magdalene Approaching the Sepulchre. Stopped me in my tracks at the National Gallery in London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 23, 2020 8:48 PM

R81, I really like that one!

by Anonymousreply 82January 23, 2020 8:51 PM

I swear I stood and stared at it a good twenty minutes or so, R82.

by Anonymousreply 83January 23, 2020 9:00 PM

I really like R12. It's not just the homo-eroticism that I get from it but I can't recall another painting of that time being so detailed re muscles.

by Anonymousreply 84January 23, 2020 9:05 PM

R75 Rockwell Kent, especially the arctic landscapes are wonderful. He was also a very refined engraver and his style is the epitome of Art Deco in there severe line and light and dark balance. Many of his males, usually sea faring men, are nude and very homoerotic. He did a stunning illustrated version of Moby Dick that is worth checking out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85January 23, 2020 10:29 PM

The Rockwell Kents upthread remind me of Lawren Harris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86January 23, 2020 10:32 PM

Rembrandt's portrait of his son, Titus, c.1657.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 23, 2020 10:39 PM

Beautiful R87. I love how Rembrandt can paint with thousands of shades of black. Love the darkness.

by Anonymousreply 88January 23, 2020 10:41 PM

He's shy ,R88.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 23, 2020 10:48 PM

And now for something light and uplifting --- The Execution of Lady Jane Grey by Paul Delaroche in the National Gallery London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2020 12:02 AM

R90 Spill the tea on why you like this painting of Lady Grey.

by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2020 12:04 AM

For the obvious reasons --- because old fashioned, realistic paintings are easier to appreciate. Because it's a dramatic subject but not too gory like Caravaggio's Judith Slaying Holofernes. Because you feel sorry for the victim and whoever the lady on the left is supposed to be.

Certain paintings just catch your eye and it's often difficult to explain exactly why. I don't know enough about painting technique and composition to explain what the artist got right.

by Anonymousreply 92January 24, 2020 12:16 AM

And the executioner looks kind of hot.

by Anonymousreply 93January 24, 2020 12:17 AM

I like the court Jester in his tights. Or, maybe I'm just horny.

by Anonymousreply 94January 24, 2020 12:17 AM

Yes, you get conflicted feelings about the sexy guy in tights who kills people.

by Anonymousreply 95January 24, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote]I like the court Jester in his tights. Or, maybe I'm just horny.

If he's holding an axe, he's probably not a court jester. Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2020 12:21 AM

^Oh! And, so he is! I was too attentive of his tights

by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2020 12:24 AM

Yes, the tights are distracting.

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2020 12:29 AM

I love this from the American Art Museum but I can’t think of the painting or the artist’s name. It’s just striking and provocative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2020 12:39 AM

Such a drama queen. It would make good television!

[quote]While admitting to action considered unlawful, she declared that "I do wash my hands thereof in innocence". Jane then recited Psalm 51 (Have mercy upon me, O God) in English, and handed her gloves and handkerchief to her maid. The executioner asked her forgiveness, which she granted him, pleading: "I pray you dispatch me quickly." Referring to her head, she asked, "Will you take it off before I lay me down?", and the axeman answered: "No, madam." She then blindfolded herself. Jane then failed to find the block with her hands, and cried, "What shall I do? Where is it?" Probably Sir Thomas Brydges, the Deputy Lieutenant of the Tower, helped her find her way. With her head on the block, Jane spoke the last words of Jesus as recounted by Luke: "Lord, into thy hands I commend my spirit!"

CUT! PRINT!

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2020 12:39 AM

Well, it is a dramatic situation. I'd be crying and yelling and fighting with the executioner.

by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2020 12:45 AM

RE; R90

I love the expression caught on the maiden's face sitting on the floor on the left. The intricacies of the clothing, folds, and hair, are all perfectly done. WOW! This is a very good painting. It captured the moment.

by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2020 12:58 AM

Thanks, R102. It is a very affecting (is that the right word?) painting of a very sad situation. I wouldn't want a copy hanging at home but I do like to look at it online once in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2020 4:20 AM

Well now! More Paul Delaroche.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104January 24, 2020 4:24 AM

Oh crap. Why is it so hard to link to wikipedia?

by Anonymousreply 105January 24, 2020 4:25 AM

Another try at the same painting. Quite voluptuous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2020 4:27 AM

I'm quite taken with Conor Harrington's mix of street art, mural and graffiti. I like the mix of realism and looseness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2020 4:41 AM

Ralph Fasanella

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2020 7:16 AM

The President and First Lady portraits are fabulous and the most exciting thing to happen to presidential portraits ever. Actually getting famous contemporary artists to do them rather than some staid traditionalist portrait painter hack is truly inspired and these will go down in history as some of the most important portraits on the level of Picasso’s Gertrude Stein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 24, 2020 12:15 PM

Ugh, why didn’t the link work for R109, was it because it’s gov? Anyways here they are, fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110January 24, 2020 12:28 PM

While I do like the painting of President Obama I'm just not connecting with it. However, I'm in love with the portrait of Mrs, Obama. For me, it just captures a statement of the Black woman in this country. The patchwork gown versus the gown, the play on Rodin's "The Thinker," versus the confident and assured face , etc ...

[quote]Actually getting famous contemporary artists to do them rather than some staid traditionalist portrait painter hack is truly inspired and these will go down in history as some of the most important portraits on the level of Picasso’s Gertrude Stein.

AGREE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 24, 2020 12:37 PM

R111 Interesting take on the Michele portrait, I see it as a minimalist version of Klimt’s Adele Bloch-Bauer portrait, especially its monumentality and playful use of pattern. But unlike Wiley, who is one of the most exciting painters working today, I know nothing about the Michele artist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 24, 2020 12:51 PM

HA! And, that's interesting R109 because whenever I (and, I speak only for ME) view a Klimt piece, I pick up either an eroticism and/or a vulnerability.

I see a few references to Americana folklore--R108 and R80. So, let me add this one;

"Gimme Dat Gum" ( creation date unknown) Annie Lee (March 3 1935 – November 24 2014) I call her the Norman Rockwell of Black Americana. In fact, she is called the artist of Black Americana. The painting below is probably in my top 5 pieces of artwork that I personally love! Annie Lee is known for her depiction of African-American everyday life. Her work is characterized by images without facial features. She used body language to show emotion and expression in her work. Hers artist journey is an interesting one too. She didn't start painting until she was 40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 24, 2020 1:28 PM

I personally don't feel that enough is written about (or, that people know enough about) Edgar Degas ( July 19 1834 – September 27 1917) and his ballerinas. To me, the series show what people are forced to do for their love of their art. You have the delicacy, finesse, and beauty, of the ballerinas but underlying a harsh reality that many of them were forced into prostitution or some sexual relationship by men who were rich and who financed productions. But, it is the musician that is forgotten many times. Who remembers them and know who they are? That's way I like "The Orchestra at the Opera" (1869). The men are in the pit--lower than the stage. Under the ballerinas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 24, 2020 3:27 PM

That's weird. I was just looking at those portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama last night. What a coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 115January 24, 2020 5:13 PM

R115 The original link was about the fact that they will be touring the country at five locations at major art museum starting in June of 2021 and it is all over the news. To give you a comparison on how awful these usually are, here is George W’s. Never would that tour to any art museum!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116January 24, 2020 10:10 PM

Not my favourite painting but an interesting, disturbing one.

Agnus Dei by Zurbaran

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 26, 2020 12:57 AM

Oh dear. A wikipedia link doesn't work. What a surprise.

Agnus Dei

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 26, 2020 12:59 AM

An expressionist painter that I like is Franz Marc (February 8, 1880-March 4 1916) I really like two of his works; "Deer In The Forest" (1913) which is a soft, cubist, depiction of deer that captures their serenity and how they blend with the forest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 26, 2020 2:09 AM

Then you have his 1914 version which is much more severe. Much more angular. The deer are well-hidden in the forest. I believe that his painting became more caustic because of the affects of life. He was drafted and killed in war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 26, 2020 2:12 AM

Is this by Renwah?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121January 26, 2020 5:10 PM

I wonder will the Trump impeachment sketches increase in value and find a market.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 26, 2020 6:34 PM

Another one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 26, 2020 6:34 PM

Alma-Tadema

Why do I like it? Hot guys in loin cloths, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 29, 2020 11:34 PM

I love everything about Edward Hopper. Rooms by the sea makes me feel like I'm just on the brink of freedom. Just one step more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 30, 2020 12:25 AM

Hi Sanjay / R125.

That comment you made about the Obama portraits becoming more famous than Picasso's Gertrude Stein was a nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 126January 30, 2020 12:30 AM

I think you meant R115, R126.

by Anonymousreply 127January 30, 2020 12:51 AM

R124 Alan Funt, of Candid Camera fame, was one of the earliest collectors to revive Tadema after he had fallen out as a high Victorian painter of schmaltz. He had a sizable collection, but was forced to sell it when he was bankrupted by a thieving accountant. Fortunately, the paintings had increased in value exponentially and helped him regain his footing. But he lost one of the great collections in the stead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 30, 2020 12:57 AM

The Death of Chatterton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 30, 2020 12:57 AM

Cover art is a type of artwork presented as an illustration or photograph on the outside of a published product such as a book (often on a dust jacket), magazine, newspaper (tabloid), comic book, video game (box art), DVD, CD, videotape, or music album (album art). The art has a primarily commercial function, for instance to promote the product it is displayed on, but can also have an aesthetic function, and may be artistically connected to the product, such as with art by the creator of the product.

Album cover art is artwork created for a music album. Notable album cover art includes Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King, the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Abbey Road and their "White Album" among others. Albums can have cover art created by the musician, as with Joni Mitchell's Clouds, or by an associated musician, such as Bob Dylan's artwork for the cover of Music From Big Pink, by the Band, Dylan's backup band's first album. Artists known for their album cover art include Alex Steinweiss, an early pioneer in album cover art, Roger Dean, and the Hipgnosis studio. Some album art may cause controversy because of nudity, offending churches, trademark or others. There have been numerous books documenting album cover art, particularly rock and jazz album covers. Steinweiss was an art director and graphic designer who brought custom artwork to record album covers and invented the first packaging for long-playing records.

Diana Ross: Greatest Hits Live (1989)

Royston Edwards

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 30, 2020 2:36 AM

I like anything Monet because of the beautiful colors and dreamy imagery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 30, 2020 3:35 AM

Can’t find my favorite by her, but I love the work of Winifred Nicholson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 30, 2020 3:41 AM

[quote]I think you meant R115, R126.

Sorry if I made the wrong assumption.

by Anonymousreply 133January 30, 2020 5:00 AM

Thanks for the interesting info, R128. I love his paintings and I'm glad they have become more popular and valuable.

by Anonymousreply 134January 30, 2020 6:56 AM

I'm especially fond of Pre-Raphaelite paintings . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 30, 2020 1:00 PM

Poppies 17th century attributed to Kitagawa Sōsetsu,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 9, 2020 3:57 PM

Poppies

attributed to Kitagawa Sōsetsu

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 9, 2020 4:55 PM

the syndics of the drapers guilds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138February 9, 2020 5:03 PM

A bit off topic but quite relevant. If you haven't seen this it is worth the watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139February 13, 2020 11:55 AM

David Hockney's 'The Splash' sells for $29.8 million

Updated 12th February 2020

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140February 13, 2020 1:28 PM

I like Hockney's work. His paintings are lovely and uplifting. I don't get why ugly, depressing contemporary art is taken more seriously as a matter of course.

by Anonymousreply 141February 13, 2020 2:56 PM

Christopher Wool

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 19, 2020 1:30 AM

Christopher Wool

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 19, 2020 1:31 AM

Not this one by Richard Serra. Vera Wang has a similar one in her New York apartment because it fits in with her minimalist decor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 19, 2020 1:57 AM

Rudolf Stingel, Untitled (2013)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 19, 2020 2:05 AM

R144 More remarkable, those aren’t actually paintings, but are drawings. At 2:00 in the video, they explain how he invented this new process to be able to make them. There was a 2011 retrospective of his drawings at the Met and it was revelatory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146February 19, 2020 2:10 AM

Re: [R90] - On my last visit to the National Gallery the painting of Lady Jane Grey kept pulling me back to it. I revisited it four or five times before leaving the museum. It really is vibrant and arresting in person (and much larger than you'd expect). Not my favorite painting, but I found it very moving.

by Anonymousreply 147February 19, 2020 2:38 AM

Earlier on the thread I said my favorite work was by Winifred Nicholson, whom I do admire, but it turns out I was thinking of the work of another British artist named Mary Feddin. I adore so many of her paintings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148February 21, 2020 1:34 AM

Oh and here it is, my favorite painting by Mary Fedden, whose name I misspelled

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 21, 2020 1:37 AM

Severin Roesen

Still Life: Flowers and Fruit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 22, 2020 12:32 AM

July Hay by Thomas Hart Benton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 22, 2020 3:58 PM

Charles Sheeler - Americana

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152February 22, 2020 4:04 PM

The Lighthouse at Two Lights - Edward Hopper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153February 22, 2020 4:12 PM

Elijah Boardman by Ralph Earl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154February 22, 2020 4:41 PM

Street Scene in Paris by Felix Vallotton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155February 22, 2020 4:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156February 22, 2020 4:57 PM

Pool Parlor by Jacob Lawrence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157February 22, 2020 4:58 PM

Oedipus and the Sphinx by Gustave Moreau

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158February 22, 2020 5:08 PM

Seated Bather by Pablo Picasso

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159February 22, 2020 5:16 PM

Grand Dame Queenie: Created 2012 by Amy Sherald (she painted the Michelle Obama painting)

One of the modern paintings that I like. I like it because of the vibrant colors, but also, (for me), the story is that Queenie is a lesbian slave woman who works and runs George Washington's Mount Vernon. Everyone in the family loves her and it is actually Queenie who is the Mistress/Master of the house. She is strict about how things should be done and takes no gruff from anyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160February 25, 2020 2:55 AM

Thanks R160 - interesting and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 161February 25, 2020 2:57 AM

Claude Monet's Water Lilies. (I think it's so peaceful and soothing)

Roy Lichtenstein's Drowning Girl (Fun and over dramatic and cartoonish)

These are the two that inspired me to purchase and renew my membership to MOMA.

by Anonymousreply 162February 25, 2020 3:13 AM

Hey R10, who is the artist? And where can I get a print?

by Anonymousreply 163February 25, 2020 3:20 AM

Not to be nit-picky, but as some on this thread have said they come here to learn new things and get educated about art, I wanted to bring up that Modern Art is a historical time period in Art History lasting from the 1880s up through the 1960s.

The period we are currently in is called Post Modern, which in itself is subject to change as we move forward in time as these names evolve and transform. Originally terms like Impressionism and Baroque were pejorative, but later became embraced to define the art of their eras.

When we talk about liking art of today we usually refer to it as Contemporary Art, especially when discussing the works of a living artist. So while it’s perfect to call a Picasso Modern Art, something by David Hockney would be Contemporary Art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164February 25, 2020 3:24 AM

"Going To Church" (about 1940) by Clementine Hunter (pronounced Clementeen) ca. 1886 - 1988

There are TONS of paintings that document the African-American experience. I suppose with this particular painting I just felt the intense desire to capture that snapshot of the moment--similar to R90. But then I learned the story of the artist and i was hooked on her work

Conceivably the most prolific African-American female artist, Clementine Hunter was born Clémence Reuben in late 1888 to Marie Antoinette Adams a descendent of Virginia slaves and Irish-Native American-French Janvier Reuben. The oldest yet smallest of seven children, Hunter was born into a family of Creole field hands under the harsh working conditions of Hidden Hill Plantation. Although slavery had been abolished 23 years prior, many Blacks and freed Blacks continued to work under the bitter circumstances of plantation life.

At the age of four or five Hunter and her family soon left the cotton fields and pecan groves, notably depicted in several of her works, and resettled in the nearby town of Cloutierville, Louisiana. She got her first yet brief formal education at a local Catholic school run by French nuns. Her time in the Catholic school was short-lived therefore she never got the chance to learn how to read or how to write.

At the age of 14 and speaking only Creole French, Clèmence Reuben, who had now chosen to be known as Clementine Reuben, moved with her family North of Cloutierville to Melrose Plantation in the famed Cane River Valley (now the Cane River National Heritage Area) to work for John Hampton and Carmelita Garrett Henry, also known as 'Miss Cammie.'

During her time working in the 'big house,' Hunter began to create elaborate quilts alongside hand-making garments for Ms Cammie and Mr Hampton’s children as well as garments for the children’s dolls. Her talents extended beyond her crafting skills as she was also known for her culinary skills, making Melrose Plantation one of the most sought after houses to dine in the region. Clementine Hunter’s unique talents were certainly recognized by Ms Cammie who had recently set up an artists residence on the plantation grounds. Hunter would soon cross paths with the most impactful advocate of her work, a Frenchman by the name of Francois Mignon, who had moved down to Melrose from New York to serve as Ms Cammie’s assistant on the plantation.

It was not until 1940 that Clementine Hunter came across old, discarded paints that a guest artist had left behind and created her first painting on a window shade. The piece detailed a baptism taking place in the Cane River, a recurring scene seen across Hunter’s dynamic depictions of the rural South. In the wake of that baptismal rendering on the window shade, Hunter began to paint or what she called 'marking a painting' on anything that she could get those gifted hands on; cardboard boxes, jugs, bottles, gourds, and so on.

It was at the New Orleans Arts and Crafts show of 1949 that she was finally able to display her work and that her work also began to garner recognition as well as a small following. Six years later in 1955 she became the first African-American to have a solo show at Delgado Museum (now known as New Orleans Museum of Art). Hunter’s momentous show had taken place prior to the 1960s Civil Rights Movement in the United States and Hunter was not legally allowed to see the exhibition of her work. Had it not been for a dear friend who smuggled Hunter into the museum after hours, she would not have seen her show at all.

Painting until the month before her death in 1988, Clementine Hunter left behind a legacy of 4,000 paintings and renderings created over the course of only 40 years; continuously allowing us brief access into the world as seen through her eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 25, 2020 3:26 AM

Frédéric Bazille's Young Woman with Peonies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166February 25, 2020 3:28 AM

Thanks, R164

by Anonymousreply 167February 25, 2020 3:30 AM

R165 She is wonderful! Here house was recently restore and is open to visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168February 25, 2020 3:45 AM

Daniel and the Kitty Cats - Rubens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169February 25, 2020 4:07 AM

Alex Katz by Philip Pearlstein

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170February 25, 2020 11:31 PM

There is so much to see of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel's ceiling, painting, and I suppose you have to have a religious base to fully appreciate it, but I love the fresco "The Creation of Adam"

The Creation of Adam (Italian: Creazione di Adamo) is a fresco painting by Italian artist Michelangelo, which forms part of the Sistine Chapel's ceiling, painted c. 1508–1512. It illustrates the Biblical creation narrative from the Book of Genesis in which God gives life to Adam, the first man. The fresco is part of a complex iconographic scheme and is chronologically the fourth in the series of panels depicting episodes from Genesis.

The image of the near-touching hands of God and Adam has become iconic of humanity. The painting has been reproduced in countless imitations and parodies. Michelangelo's Creation of Adam is one of the most replicated religious paintings of all time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 26, 2020 5:36 PM

FYI, R111;

4 million people have flocked to see the Obama portraits. Here's why: Published 2nd March 2020

Written by Kim Sajet

Each year, we take more than a trillion digital photos, many of which will be shared on social media. But instead of people feeling more connected to the world, researchers are observing signs of growing social isolation.

Portraits, like real people, are demanding. They require not just face-to-face interaction, but deep contemplation of how the artists have brought their sitters to life.

I recently contributed an essay to a new book "The Obama Portraits," which explores the impact -- and unprecedented popularity -- of Kehinde Wiley and Amy Sherald's portraits of former US President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama. An estimated 4 million people have flocked to the National Portrait Gallery, where I serve as director, to see the two artworks, essentially doubling the museum's attendance since they were unveiled in 2018.

The question is why? Visitors know who the Obamas are, and what they look like. They've seen digital images of the portraits on their phones and laptops.

One online review of Wiley's portrait of Barack Obama offers one theory: "The colors are stunning and aren't done justice in the digital photography I've seen in the media." As the review suggests, you can't truly experience a portrait until you lift your head away from the device in your hand and look at the real thing. No matter how many reproductions you may have seen online, the original art is always far more profound in person.

That may be why millions have traveled to see the real thing -- and why millions more may do the same when the portraits go on a US-wide tour from next year. It may also be because museums serve as liminal spaces, where people can pause for reflection in the company of strangers. (Liminality, according to the French ethnographer Arnold van Gennep, is a "betwixt and between" moment of social or individual change.)

The Portrait Gallery, specifically, has provided a place for people to take a break from their often-harried lives and connect with two people they admire, either alone or in the company of others, before returning to the relentless pace of the "real world."

However, there is also, I believe, another force turning the museum into a meaningful place of social interaction, and that is technology -- or rather, the lack of it.

Ironically, for perhaps two of the most recognized people on the planet, it is paint not pixels, and conversations not cameras that make "visiting" Barack and Michelle Obama feel authentic. People often take selfies in front of the portraits as souvenirs of their visit, but I've noticed with interest how many of them then put away their devices and talk to each other.

Moreover, it is the shared experience of seeing the Obama portraits that is encouraging people to buck the trend described by James McWilliams in his article "Saving the Self in the Age of the Selfie" of shortened attention spans and "phubbing," when a person glances at their phone while talking to someone else.

"A genuine self can't be in two places at once," he observed, noting that true friendships have a better chance of success when they begin in defined social spaces where a certain behavior requires your full attention.

In the case of the Obama portraits, visitors have to use both their head and their heart to make personal connections while taking account of their surroundings. For example, there are similarities between the portrait of Barack Obama and the seated compositions of other former US Presidents Abraham Lincoln, John Fitzgerald Kennedy and George W. Bush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 2, 2020 9:41 PM

Yet, there are vast differences, like Wiley's fresh take on official portraiture by incorporating floral symbols that relate to the former president's life: chrysanthemums for Chicago, jasmine for Hawaii, African lilies for Kenya and roses for love. Reading the labels, or taking a guided tour with other people, is part of an interactive experience that transcends technology.

So too is standing in line. As the dedicated security personnel can attest, there is a real sense of camaraderie between visitors as they queue up to take their turn in front of the pictures. Groups debate, teachers teach, strangers overhear the comments of others and often chime in. It's the phenomenon of being connected and unplugged, offering emotional authenticity in a world of relentless feedback loops and "tech anxiety," that is part of the draw. As the Harvard historian and noted author, Jill Lepore mentioned in an interview on the museum's "Portraits" podcast, people-watching is a pleasure when it comes to seeing visitors approach the portraits for the first time.

There was once a time when I used to beat myself up that the National Portrait Gallery wasn't as technologically advanced as its peers. We didn't have audio guides and are just now introducing a free app to offer multiple languages and support for the visually impaired, rather than as an essential in-gallery tool.

But now I realize, as I walk around the museum, that its lack of technologies might, in fact, be adding to the liminal experience, helping us set aside our "digital selves" in order to connect with our "inner selves" and commune with those around us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 2, 2020 9:43 PM

I'm keeping my selection Datalounge-appropriate.

Henry Scott Tuke's "Ruby, Gold and Malachite" , 1901

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 2, 2020 11:12 PM

So, people really do not know what good art is.

But they do seem to have swollen labiae for bad art, especially if it serves up something for their social guilt.

by Anonymousreply 175March 2, 2020 11:35 PM

I like this portrait of Margot Bernard by Renoir, maybe because there is something slightly disturbing about it. Maybe because a friend I thought was sophisticated when I was young found it beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 3, 2020 12:30 AM

That may be a Renoir, R176, but it still looks too much like a Keane for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 177March 3, 2020 2:08 AM

I like the face though the hand and the ermine look odd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 3, 2020 7:02 PM

FYI:

The Obama Paintings are going on tour

(It's a year off. But...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 9, 2020 1:05 PM

Joan Mitchell, Riviere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180March 9, 2020 1:44 PM

Sofía Bassi, I Am Looking At You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 9, 2020 1:52 PM

Paula Rego, War

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 9, 2020 1:57 PM

That's one hang-y-looking, unattractive butt, OP.

by Anonymousreply 183March 9, 2020 2:02 PM

Dorthea Tanning, The Magic Flower Game

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 9, 2020 2:08 PM

John Singer Sargent. He painted everything but the male form was his specialty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 9, 2020 3:46 PM

R185 I wouldn’t say that at all, he was foremost a portraitist at the start of his career, which is what is is best know for as a genre.

by Anonymousreply 186March 9, 2020 4:19 PM

Dorothea Tanning - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 9, 2020 4:31 PM

"Mona Lisa, Age 12" (Fernando Botero)

I always liked his artwork because he painted fat people. Fat people are happy people. They enjoy life. That's why I like Botero's Mona Lisa. The DaVinci painting is taken so seriously (and, it's still a mystery to me why that it is) that I think that Botero was poking fun at all of that seriousness surrounding it with his interpretation of the work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 9, 2020 4:35 PM

Fat people are happy people?

by Anonymousreply 189March 9, 2020 4:38 PM

The Intervention of the Sabine Women by Jacques Louis David.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190March 9, 2020 4:52 PM

Yes, R189. I know that I am naive, and not nearly as cultured as many of you on this thread, but I seem to remember a period of time and painting period where one's heft was considered a proclamation of wealth, sexual desirability, and happiness. Would 'Rubenesque' fit in here somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 191March 9, 2020 4:52 PM

"Fat people are happy people? "

Well maybe they were back then, when most of the world was undernourished while they had more than enough to eat, and plumpness was thought of as sexually attractive and a sign of high social status.

If fat people are unhappy now, it's because fatness is out of style, and people look down on them for it.

by Anonymousreply 192March 9, 2020 5:55 PM

Well, maybe fat people were happy back then, R189, in an era when fat was in style.

Fat people had more than enough to eat, and were thought of as being sexually desirable and automatically high in social status, unlike today when everyone looks down on them.

by Anonymousreply 193March 9, 2020 5:56 PM

Tommaso and Maria Portinari by Hans Memling

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 9, 2020 9:23 PM

"Two Women Waltzing" (1892)--Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (November 24 1864 – September 9 1901) I really don't know why I'm drawn to Toulouse-Lautrec. Maybe it's all of the debauchery that he was able to capture at the Moulin Rouge. Or, I was just conditioned to like his work after years of being fascinated by his poster work

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 9, 2020 10:17 PM

Toulouse-Lautrec (November 24 1864 – September 9 1901)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 9, 2020 10:18 PM

Jennifer Bartlett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 10, 2020 1:08 AM

Hmm... That is quite interesting, R197. I like it!

by Anonymousreply 198March 10, 2020 1:15 AM

R196 I had the center one on my wall in college and felt oh so sophisticated, but that red scarf is a killer color, especially with the bump it gets from the orange.

by Anonymousreply 199March 10, 2020 1:36 AM

What triggered my Toulouse-Lautrec memory R199 was the contemporary painting below. I have a friend in Stockholm that has a gallery there and he runs a FB group.

Gunilla Mann , born in 1947 in Gothenburg , is a Swedish painter, artist, graphic artist and sculptor. Gunilla Mann's paintings, lithographs and gouaches are colorful depictions of life. The style is naive and narrative style and is characterized by great detail.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 10, 2020 1:51 AM

[quote]Hmm... That is quite interesting, R197. I like it!

Thanks. I found it when I was looking at photos of the Met on tripadvisor. Never heard of the artist.

by Anonymousreply 201March 10, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote]Thanks. I found it when I was looking at photos of the Met on tripadvisor. Never heard of the artist.

Neither have I. What's interesting is that I did not like the rest of her stuff. This was part of a series and it definitely is my favorite of that series. Thanks again.

But, that's like R180. Normally, I'm not attracted to such styles because I'm trying to determine why it is art versus a child's creation in kindergarten. Anyway, in addition to that piece, I really LIKED the work of that artist!

by Anonymousreply 202March 10, 2020 1:44 PM

Maybe, it's that I just like pornography....

"Dans le lit, le baiser" (1892) Toulouse-Lautrec

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 10, 2020 2:13 PM

In The Village of The Mermaids

Paul Delvaux, Belgian Surrealist.

It used to be displayed all of the time at the Art Institute of Chicago, but I haven't seen it out in over a decade (I visit every few years).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204March 10, 2020 2:18 PM

South of Scranton by Peter Blume

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 11, 2020 12:13 AM

I really like various works by René Magritte (René François Ghislain Magritte: 21 November 1898 – 15 August 1967) I find his work, (well, the ones that I'm aware of), to be very thought provoking. Below is probably one of his most famous works-- The Son of Man (1964). I learned that this is a self-portrait. Okay... But, that's not what I take away from it.

I see it as the future generation son, who is still wet behind the ears, that stands in the shadow of his father and therefore must prove himself as a man. He must prove himself not only in the eyes of society but more importantly in the eyes of his wiser father. For me, the low wall and sea represents failure (for lack of a better word.) If the man in the picture fails then it is easy to dispose of him by simply shoving him over the wall and into the sea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 13, 2020 1:23 PM

L. S. Lowry (Laurence Stephen Lowry; 1 November 1887 – 23 February 1976)

"Going To Work" (1959)

I suppose it's just the type of artwork that I'm attracted to. The type of artwork that captures the life of ordinary people ( see R165) I recall seeing this piece the very first time and my first thought was "Monday Morning Drudgery" and then I learned the name of the work. LOL!!!

Anyway, this is what Lowry is known for--capturing the ordinary. I guess he captures it so well that I believe, (if I remember correctly) that there is only one black person in every painting of his.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 13, 2020 3:57 PM

Not this one. The beard makes me cringe.

Portrait of Joseph Roulin by van Gogh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208March 15, 2020 3:28 PM

The False Mirror - Magritte

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209March 15, 2020 7:44 PM

Hopper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 15, 2020 7:45 PM

magritte, ]

Love In The Time of Covid19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 17, 2020 12:14 AM

Here’s a fun at home quarantine game, recreate your favorite painting and post it to IG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 21, 2020 8:01 AM

Salvador Dali, "Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea". The painting looks pixelated and, seen from a distance, it becomes Abraham Lincoln. Some people can see Lincoln right away, some never see it. You can also see Lincoln if you use your peripheral vision.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 21, 2020 4:48 PM

This is an interesting angle to study artists an their works.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214March 21, 2020 9:55 PM

Yep R211... "The Lovers" (1928) by René Magritte (21 November 1898 – 15 August 1967) is a favorite of mine and just think how apropos given the current environment.

I've always viewed the work as showing the inability of most of us to become 100% intimate or fully give ourselves to another. It's the inability of most of us to truly reveal who we are. I have since learned that a lot of Magritte's work features subjects with shrouded faces. Apparently, when he was 14 his mother committed suicide by drowning. He witnessed her body being fished from the water, and her wet nightgown wrapped around her face. Art pundits speculate that this incident influenced his work. But, Magritte denied that.

by Anonymousreply 215March 22, 2020 4:59 PM

Albert Bierstadt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216March 23, 2020 5:26 AM

Spring in Central Park by Adolf Dehn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217March 24, 2020 4:08 PM

Lucian Freud. I find the continued need in the last 50 years to paint representative art, of the human figure, interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218March 24, 2020 5:07 PM

Henry Geldzahler and Christopher Scott (1969) - David Hockney

They were a gay couple. Geldzahler was a curator and Scott was a painter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219March 24, 2020 9:21 PM

The Banks of the Bièvre by Rousseau

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220March 24, 2020 11:41 PM

Daybreak Maxfield Parrish 1922 I have an old original print of this hanging on my wall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221March 24, 2020 11:50 PM

Here’s a little interlude of plague era painters to consider. Disappointingly they did not include one from the AIDS crisis, but then again there were so many fine artists who died and those who continue to struggle and now have become ultra vulnerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222March 25, 2020 6:38 AM

Chagall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223March 28, 2020 4:06 PM

de Chirico

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 29, 2020 12:09 AM

Madame Ramon Subercaseaux by John Singer Sargent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225March 30, 2020 4:19 PM

LEON GOLUB'S WORKS, ALL OF EM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 30, 2020 4:38 PM

Allegory of Italy - Valentin de Boulogne

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227April 1, 2020 3:53 AM

Government Bureau - George Tooker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 7, 2020 4:49 AM

The Great Sirens by Paul Delvaux

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229April 7, 2020 4:54 AM

But, here is my question for you art aficionados; What makes a work "art"? I ask this is all seriousness. I know that I have works that I like but that's my personal preference. I've seen a few works in these threads that I like, but then again, these are my preferences. Who determines what piece gets into a museum for display and therefore called art?

What is the significance of the painting in the link?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230April 8, 2020 7:23 PM

R239 This might be a good place to start, especially if you are willing to give some time over to your question. On top of this introduction, this site offers many multimedia mini lessons on art that you can explore in what ever way your interests send you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231April 8, 2020 7:40 PM

Thanks, R231

by Anonymousreply 232April 8, 2020 7:42 PM

R230, probably the elites of the art world and art criticism decide what art is, eg. art historians who went to the right schools and teach at prestigious universities, art critics at prestigious newspapers and magazines, curators of certain museums, owners of the most respected art galleries. The reputations of many artists change over time. Certain artists are rediscovered. Others who were highly regarded in their time fade into obscurity. I'm sure no one knows which contemporary artists will stand the test of time.

It's a mystery to me. To me, this painting doesn't look radically different from ones that are dismissed as sentimental. It's "The Masqueraders" by Raimundo de Madrazo y Garreta. It's part of the Met's collection so it must be real art.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233April 8, 2020 9:02 PM

Grant Wood, American Regionalist, Gay Man

Self-Portrait

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234April 8, 2020 11:09 PM

Thanks, R233. From your example, what struck me immediately was how realistic the piece of work is. It looks like a photo image to me. Then I went to the work shown on R225 because I had the same initial reaction. However, I see a difference. Your example is much more realistic to me. So... I said to myself; "Self, look up a little something on this artist." i had never heard of him before and this is what I found;

[quote]Raimundo de Madrazo y Garreta (24 July 1841 – 15 September 1920) was a Spanish painter from the Madrazo family of artists who worked in the Realistic style; Realism, sometimes called naturalism, in the arts is generally the attempt to represent subject matter truthfully, without artificiality and avoiding artistic conventions, or implausible, exotic, and supernatural elements. Realism has been prevalent in the arts at many periods, and can be in large part a matter of technique and training, and the avoidance of stylization.

So, I then looked at other works by the same artist and now I have gained a greater appreciation of what is the significance of the piece. It's the execution of realism

Painting: "Model Making Mischief" 1885

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235April 9, 2020 12:53 AM

Another one

"The Model Aline Masson" 1876

[quote]Aline Masson was Madrazo’s favourite model for genre paintings. Her heavy-lidded gaze and slightly defiant attitude convey the frivolous atmosphere of Paris, where Madrazo’s portraits met with great acclaim. Here, the artist displays his technical skill in using a reduced range of colours, applied with deft, confident brushstrokes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 9, 2020 1:04 AM

The Scout by Frederick Remington

The Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 9, 2020 10:50 PM

R237 The Clark Art Institute was founded by one of the Singer sewing machine heirs at the height of the Cold War purposefully to be outside the nuclear range of New York City should it be destroyed by a bomb including his brothers art collection given to the Met. If was part of the big fuck you in their rivalry.

by Anonymousreply 238April 9, 2020 11:05 PM

The guy who funded it, R238, Robert Sterling Clark, also tried to hire the head of the Marine Corps, General Smedley Butler, in 1933 to overthrow FDR because he took the US off the gold standard. Prescott Bush, George H.W. Bush's grandfather was in on the planning and funding of the proposed coup, as were the du Ponts and Tom Lamont, a J.P. Morgan partner.

Clark believed the US should be a fascist state. The power of money being what it is (and was, even in the depths of the Depression) he never was so much as indicted much less prosecuted.

General Butler, to this day the most decorated member of the Marine Corps (he died in 1940) turned them down flat. The coup's failure was the work of one patriotic Major General, and his life-long love of democracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239April 9, 2020 11:26 PM

The Museum of Modern Art is offering free art classes online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240April 10, 2020 12:20 AM

Thanks [240]

by Anonymousreply 241April 10, 2020 12:40 AM

We did this a while back, so pleased to see it return. I've viewed many new works of art and I'm loving it.

by Anonymousreply 242April 10, 2020 1:30 AM

^Are you referring to the thread or the art courses offered in R240, R242?

by Anonymousreply 243April 10, 2020 1:37 AM

I’ve been doing virtual museum visits and I stumbled upon this 20th century Italian painter I never heard of before names Mario Mafai in a Milan museum. The other two are slabs of meat and dried flowers, and overall his repertoire is quite diverse. I really like his palette, he’s able to imbue his colors with an inner light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244April 10, 2020 1:39 AM

(243) the old fave painting thread

by Anonymousreply 245April 10, 2020 2:19 AM

R240, thank you. I can't think of a better use of all my free time right now.

by Anonymousreply 246April 10, 2020 2:27 AM

Raspberries and Goldfish - Janet Fish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247April 10, 2020 3:49 PM

R247, I love Janet Fish.

by Anonymousreply 248April 10, 2020 4:39 PM

Yes, I love the bright cheerful colors, the busy composition and the way light reflects off the glassware. Never heard of the artist before. Just came across her recently when I was searching for something else on the Met's website.

by Anonymousreply 249April 10, 2020 10:21 PM

This one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 10, 2020 10:39 PM

The North Cape by Moonlight - Peder Balke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251April 12, 2020 3:41 PM

Portrait of Vsevolod Garshin by Ilia Efimovich Repin, 1884

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252April 12, 2020 3:45 PM

Who is the British kind of Industrial painter who did kind of figures of people in urban scenes?

by Anonymousreply 253April 13, 2020 8:12 PM

American George Bellows, who was associated with the Ashcan School, did some of those paintings. Here's "Men of the Docks".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254April 13, 2020 8:58 PM

I like his "Blue Snow, The Battery".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255April 13, 2020 9:04 PM

Hands down, nobody did snow in New York better than George Bellows, but what he was most know for were his paintings of boxers in the ring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256April 13, 2020 9:35 PM

Lovely painting I hadn't seen before, R256. Love the colors.

by Anonymousreply 257April 13, 2020 9:45 PM

The Gross Clinic by Thomas Eakins

Philadelphia Museum of Art

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258April 13, 2020 11:49 PM

One more NYC winter Bellows, as it’s an intriguing subject matter, the excavation of the site to build Penn Train station. Of course now days that is cavernous underground rabbit warrens of subway and commuter train platforms, waiting room spaces and shops all being squashed by the hideous circular eyesore of Madison Square Garden. Not the beautiful and majestic Train Station being laid out here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259April 13, 2020 11:57 PM

In the Studio - Alfred Stevens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260April 17, 2020 5:51 AM

Bathers at Asnieres

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261April 17, 2020 6:17 AM

The Life Class of the Vienna Academy - Johann Jacobe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 22, 2020 1:24 AM

The Ironworker’s Noontime - Thomas Anschutz

by Anonymousreply 263April 22, 2020 1:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264April 22, 2020 4:00 AM

I thought wikipedia links didn't work on DL.

by Anonymousreply 265April 22, 2020 4:24 AM

Renoir, Boy with Cat...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266April 22, 2020 4:58 AM

Thank you, r264...

by Anonymousreply 267April 22, 2020 1:21 PM

Tripadvisor photo for The Met. Love the realistic detail. I wish I knew the name of the painting and could see the rest of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268April 22, 2020 7:10 PM

El Jaleo - John Singer Sargent

by Anonymousreply 269April 22, 2020 9:35 PM

By the way R263 /R269, if you want to post a pic, just copy the web address of the image and paste it into the box labelled "Web Site Link". The best pic I can find of El Jaleo is on wikipedia, which often doesn't work for me as a link.

by Anonymousreply 270April 23, 2020 12:56 AM

Thank you for the info and for attempting to post it. It’s a wonderful painting...

by Anonymousreply 271April 23, 2020 1:01 AM

Yes, I love the dramatic action and lighting of the painting. There are probably better photos than the one I'm posting, but hopefully this one will work on DL.

El Jaleo - John Singer Sargent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272April 23, 2020 2:23 AM

Ribbon Mania by Burhan Dogançay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273April 30, 2020 7:03 PM

R272 I haven't seen it since the Gardner was expanded, so don't know if it's still displayed the same way (I think it has to be, though: Mrs. Gardner's will specified nothing could be moved from where it was when she lived there) but it was always lit so well from below, as if by footlights and amplifying the artist's use or light, darkness, and shadow. It's one of the great paintings in a treasure house of great art.

Sargent's Nude Study of Thomas E. McKeller (from the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts next door to the Gardner) was never exhibited during the artist's lifetime. Perhaps because it speaks to his identity, whether homosexual or homoerotic. Make of it what you will: Sargent met McKeller in an elevator when he worked as a bellhop at the Copley Plaza Hotel and shortly thereafter he was posing nude for Sargent. Further down Huntington Avenue to Copley Square, Sargent’s early-20th-century murals for the Boston Public Library are usually rated among the artist’s driest, most academic works. The sexual tensions they convey have often been overlooked by art historians, but when Andy Warhol was shown Sargent’s study of male bodies for the mural of Hell, he immediately pronounced it a “gang bang.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 30, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote]R272 I haven't seen it since the Gardner was expanded, so don't know if it's still displayed the same way (I think it has to be, though: Mrs. Gardner's will specified nothing could be moved from where it was when she lived there) but it was always lit so well from below, as if by footlights and amplifying the artist's use or light, darkness, and shadow. It's one of the great paintings in a treasure house of great art

Sounds wonderful. I've been to New York, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. but unfortunately didn't make it to Boston and the Gardner museum. I've seen photos of the museum's courtyard which looks beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275May 1, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote]But, here is my question for you art aficionados; What makes a work "art"? I ask this is all seriousness. I know that I have works that I like but that's my personal preference. I've seen a few works in these threads that I like, but then again, these are my preferences. Who determines what piece gets into a museum for display and therefore called art?

[quote]What is the significance of the painting in the link?

Delvaux has the skill to create a mysterious, unsettling atmosphere in his Great Sirens painting. You can't help but use your imagination to try to figure out what the painting means. It's not a straight forward, sensuous painting of female nudes. Maybe that's what makes it art.

by Anonymousreply 276May 1, 2020 8:00 PM

More unlabelled paintings from the tripadvisor entry on the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277May 1, 2020 11:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 1, 2020 11:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279May 1, 2020 11:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280May 1, 2020 11:17 PM

Pretty much anything by J.C. Leyendecker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281May 1, 2020 11:27 PM

Who in 2020 uses TripAdvisor?

by Anonymousreply 282May 1, 2020 11:57 PM

R281 Nice bulge!

by Anonymousreply 283May 1, 2020 11:59 PM

look, TripAdvisor Troll, if you can't name those paintings and tell us a little something about them, they're hardly your "favorites", are they.

by Anonymousreply 284May 2, 2020 12:04 AM

R282, what's wrong with TripAdvisor? What do you use?

by Anonymousreply 285May 2, 2020 12:05 AM

[quote]look, TripAdvisor Troll, if you can't name those paintings and tell us a little something about them, they're hardly your "favorites", are they.

They may not be my favorites but I do like them and I'm pretty sure most DLers haven't seen them before so they're worth posting. Who knows? Maybe someone will recognise some of them and give me the names. That would be great. I'd sure love to know what R268. Aristocratic lady in old-timey fashions means CLASSY painting

by Anonymousreply 286May 2, 2020 2:03 AM

This is a relatively short introduction to the painter Manet and why he is important, highlighted by a overview of a handful of his most important works. It ‘s a perfect snippet to gain insight how art history works and how certain painting can represent important moments in an art’s life and art history. He really the perfect person to do this mini study with.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287May 2, 2020 7:37 AM

R286 Not the one who called you troll, but am I’m sorry if we seemed to quash your enthusiasm for finding works you like. There are just better ways to go about looking than Trip Advisor. The Met has over 400,000 images from their collection online that you can search and find out about. I’m putting the link below.

I did a cursory search for the painting of the woman you like, but didn’t find it. Those images that people added may have been pictures they took at a special exhibition and the painting isn’t owned by the Met. My first guess of it being a Tissot also did not pan out, but it looks to me be an mid 19th Century French society portrait. I will keep looking.

While the link here is to the whole Met collection, the website also has a collection of works chosen to be highlights by the curators that I think is a better place to start. I will include it after this link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288May 2, 2020 7:55 AM

This version of the Met database is a better place to start as a casual viewer as it is highlights of the collections chosen by curators instead of everything they own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289May 2, 2020 7:58 AM

Amedeo Modigliani, Bride and Groom (The Couple), c. 1915

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290May 2, 2020 8:42 AM

Thanks for the kind words, R288. I'm not offended by the comments on this thread. I've had far worse on DL. The database you linked to at R289 is an excellent resource. There's also Heilbrunn's Timeline of Art History.

I'm not very knowledgeable about painting and I at first guessed that the painting at R268 could be John Singer Sargent. Then I realised that's probably unlikely because his paintings were a bit more impressionistic. He wasn't really into meticulous, realistic detail. I'm surprised the photographer didn't post a pic of the whole painting.

I've actually found the names of many of the artworks I like on Tripadvisors's entry about the Met by using the museum's search engine or I've come across them accidentally when searching for something else.

The Met's search engine does have its limitations sometimes. Some of the posters on Tripadvisor would photograph the label right before the artwork. Sometimes when I type in the keywords on the label into the search engine, I'm still unable to find the artwork.

I've visited the Met twice and I wasn't that impressed with it. The photos on tripadvisor have shown me how wrong I was. First of all, you have to be in the right frame of mind. You can't just breeze through and glance at many things from a distance and roll your eyes when you see big glass display cases full of many small objects. Of course there are going to be many things where the subject matter or style just don't appeal to you, others you thinks are bland and uninspired but the Met does actually have great paintings and many very beautiful art objects.

I'll post a few Met photos I like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 3, 2020 2:03 AM

The silver piece is probably a tureen and stand from the Gorham Manufacturing Company, 1900. The green glass object may be a roundel from Louis Comfort Tiffany.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292May 3, 2020 2:09 AM

I like the pale green box. It's described on the Met website under the title "Jeweled Casket with Birds". It's from 19th century India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293May 3, 2020 2:13 AM

I get a kick out of this figurine. I haven't figured out what the name of it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294May 3, 2020 2:14 AM

These photos of the entrance to the Met are dazzling.

by Anonymousreply 295May 3, 2020 3:38 AM

Haha. You have to click on the photo to see the link.

by Anonymousreply 296May 3, 2020 4:55 AM

Btw, I figured out what R294 is, if anyone cares. It's a leopard (hence the spots) made of soft-paste porcelain in Chantilly, France ca. 1735-40. I would have never guessed it was French. I thought it might be Middle Eastern or Asian.

by Anonymousreply 297May 3, 2020 5:22 AM

Fleur de Lis - Robert Reid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298May 3, 2020 6:30 AM

OK TripAdvisor guy, I found it. The website was acting weird yesterday when searching and in fact said maintenance was happening. I thought that’s why it it posts dark, but it’s doing that again here as well. As I thought it is French from1876 and is of Catherine Lorillard Wolfe, she was the first female benefactor of the Met and was notoriously unmarried (lesbian?). Painting is by Alexandre Cabanel who was an Academic painter, the type who really fell out fo favor with the rise of Impressionism. At this time photography was reaching the point where highly realistic portraits were becoming passé.

She bequeathed this to the Met with other artwork and set up an endowment. Most likely she stipulated that nothing could be sold that she had given and that or out of respect for the endowment is probably why it wasn’t deaccessioned from the collection during the 100 years plus that Academic French Art was at its nadir. Note it says it is not on view, and I see little reason why they might show it even now, so I wonder why it might have been up for the visitor to take a picture. Benefactor portraits are not something you are going to show unless it’s a Sargent and your name is Stokes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299May 3, 2020 6:42 AM

There is still an Art Club named after Catharine Lorillard Wolfe in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300May 3, 2020 6:49 AM

And here’s the Wikipedia entry for CLW and shows the portrait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301May 3, 2020 6:56 AM

That's amazing, R299. Thank you so much. How exactly did you go about finding it?

I don't mean to be an evil bitch but I can see why the poster on Tripadvisor left out the face. Not the most beautiful, feminine woman in the world.

by Anonymousreply 302May 3, 2020 7:01 AM

R302 Again, the database was sputtering on Friday night and better today. I just searched for woman, painting and portrait and concentrated on the 19th century until I saw it. It’s really amazing they chose to even have an image of it, they must have had some publication that they highlighted founders, or those who left endowments. The write up is considerably long, most likely to help explain why they would have a painting like that in the collection.

It’s really there for historical purposes more than artistic. They already own a version of Birth of Venus by Cabanel, which is his most famous work, given by a relative of CLW. He is more remembered for being one of the most vocal opponents of the artists who would become the Impressionists and refusing their entry into the Salon, resulting in them setting up their own art exhibitions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303May 3, 2020 7:32 AM

(R104) The painting looks good, but the perspective is way off. Notice that faces in background (dudes in towels) don't diminish in size as they should. (the hands are about the same size of the face in nature) Also the size of feet and hands are off. The woman on the right has the best looking and most realistic breasts I have seen in these ancient paintings. Yes, I am an artist, and an old one. Rules of perspective have not changed. These old artists were like our photographers today and most of the bigger paintings were not done by one person, hence the various quality. Some were good, some mediocre. For an artist with almost perfect perspective look at Pierro della Francesco's work.

by Anonymousreply 304May 3, 2020 7:43 AM

Centipede

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305May 3, 2020 7:48 AM

I don't like the portrait of Catharine Wolfe as a whole, the dress is beautifully painted but it literally overshadows her face. If you look at the painting you look at the dress, not the woman, and that's not what Ms. Wolfe was paying that artist for. Frankly, I suspect the artist of making the dress brilliant because he couldn't figure out how to flatter her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306May 3, 2020 9:14 AM

[quote]Again, the database was sputtering on Friday night and better today. I just searched for woman, painting and portrait and concentrated on the 19th century until I saw it.

I would do google searches or use the Met's search engine with keywords like "painting woman white dress bustle brown fur trim" and never get anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 307May 3, 2020 1:37 PM

R307 when searching for something visual, it can only find something that has been “tagged” with those identifiers. There also tend to be controlled vocabularies that libraries, archives and museums databases use and those terms may not be part of it. I played with similar terms as well, but ultimately needed to weigh through a larger list of possibilities.

I had planned on mentioning that unfortunately the painting is by a European artist and not on view. If it has been an American artist you would have been able to see it. The Met has open storage for its entire American collection, which you can visit at the museum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308May 3, 2020 2:16 PM

That does look like a Gorham Martele piece at r292...

by Anonymousreply 309May 3, 2020 2:25 PM

True, R309. The silver object in the photo at R2 does look like the Gorham Martelé tureen I've linked below. Martelé means hammered and the fluid, organic shape of the tureen was meant to imitate the Art Nouveau style popular at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310May 3, 2020 2:58 PM

OH. for GOODNESS sake!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311May 3, 2020 3:04 PM

The tureen looks fine but the stand looks too curvy and tortured for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 312May 3, 2020 3:31 PM

Just one more art object I like. It took me a long time to identify it --- Shrine by Matthias Walbaum, 1598-1600

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313May 3, 2020 3:39 PM

Henry II of France by François Clouet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314May 4, 2020 1:55 PM

Gettin' Religion by Archibald John Motley Jr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315May 4, 2020 1:57 PM

Brooms with a View by Emily Mae Smith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316May 4, 2020 2:03 PM

One interesting thing to note on the TripAdvisor post of the facade of the Met Museum is the fact that the four paired Corinthian columns are all topped by piles of limestone blocks that were meant to be sculptures that were never finished. For the most part the eye just glosses over them because one expects the building to be beautiful designed and a coherent architectural whole. But in reality once you notice them you can’t unsee them and it looks odd and unfinished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317May 4, 2020 2:12 PM

The Moon by Day - Margaret French

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318May 4, 2020 2:25 PM

Very cool, R317. I did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 319May 4, 2020 2:41 PM

Henry II looks so world weary and French, I’ll bet there’s a half-smoked Galoise dangling from his fingers.

by Anonymousreply 320May 5, 2020 1:14 AM

[quote]Henry II looks so world weary and French, I’ll bet there’s a half-smoked Galoise dangling from his fingers.

You're right. I hadn't even noticed that. I imagine a lot of portraits of aristocrats and royalty have the same haughty "I am not amused" facial expression. They're certainly not going to be smiling and accessible. I still find King Henry attractive.

I assume Margaret French in R318 is the wife of painter Jared French. They would go out to Fire Island in the 1930s. I assume that's the setting of the painting.

by Anonymousreply 321May 5, 2020 1:41 AM

R321 Is right about Margaret French being the wife of Jared French and the setting of R318 is most likely Fire Island, but I think there is a larger tease that R318 is making. You see she was the “F” in a MMF relationship for over 20 year between her husband and Paul Cadmus whose work is represented below. They even had a name for themselves called PaJaMa, the first two of each of their names, which they used for their photographic collaborations that they took on Fire Island. They were very homoerotic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322May 5, 2020 2:07 AM

Was/Is Paul Cadmus considered a serious, high quality artist? His paintings always look so amateurish and cheesy to me.

by Anonymousreply 323May 5, 2020 2:11 AM

R323 Paul Cadmus has a solid place in Art History, but there are many elements of his work that in ways puts him on the fringe. Foremost, he was a realist at a time, after WWII, that American Art was moving towards Abstraction. Abstract Expressionism was the reigning style of the day, think Jackson Pollock and Willem de Kooning. Instead he along with artists like Andrew Wyeth and another lover of his George Tooker we’re making realistic or sometimes magic realism works and Paul’s style also tipped into satire and caricature.

He was also working in the very old medium of egg tempra, which was an influence from his love of Renaissance painting and that Wyeth was using as well. They were very much the odd artists out, but their works were unlike any other artists of their era. Finally, as is obvious from the work posted, his subject matter was not at all subtle about homoerotism, and when he was working for the WPA administration a painting he did called The Fleet’s In caused a scandal with the Navy and was removed from exhibition. It was the Robert Mapplethorpe/Jessie Helms controversy of its day and it followed him around for the rest of his life, along with some other artistic scandals, and the complicated well known relationship he had with the Frenchs.

The Met Museum owns 27 of his works, MOMA owns 40 and the Whitney owns 11 of them including Shore Leave and Sailors and Floozies, both of which also caused controversy with the military and were given to the museum by none other than Malcom Forbes. The latter is below with what looks to be a tranny trying to decide what to do with a drunken sailor, who is quite the Adonis in his tight sculpted uniform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324May 5, 2020 3:02 AM

This is a lovely piece about reflecting on art of the past in our present day context. One of my life goals would have been to see all the Vermeers that existed, but once the one was stolen from the Gardner it seemed pointless to try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325May 5, 2020 8:20 PM

Another example of great art produced under trying circumstances.

How ironic that he left his wife and children in debt when he died and was forgotten for two centuries and now he is acknowledged as one of the greatest Old Masters and his paintings are priceless.

by Anonymousreply 326May 6, 2020 2:13 AM

Lithograph by Nathaniel Currier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327May 6, 2020 2:36 AM

The Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia has started doing short video talks on individual works of art every few days from what is considered one of the best private collections of art ever assembled by one person. The institution has an amazing history once having resided in Barnes’ mainline mansion and only available for viewing by a limited number of people a year and works were never allowed to leave the house or be photographed. At 69 works, there are more Cezanne’s in the collection than in the whole city of Paris and over 180 Reniors.

Here they talk about one of the watercolors by American artist Charles Demuth, who was gay and lived a fabulous genteel life in society and then would return to his quiet family life in Lancaster, PA to paint. Enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328May 6, 2020 3:25 PM

Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear: Barnes Takeout: Art Talk on Charles Demuth's WHAT in Vaudeville?

by Anonymousreply 329May 6, 2020 5:42 PM

Johannes Verspronck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330May 6, 2020 6:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331May 6, 2020 6:16 PM

Rembrandt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332May 6, 2020 6:19 PM

Rembrandt etching. Includes a dog taking a dump in the foreground. No, really!

BTW if anyone is ever able to visit Amsterdam again, a visit to the Rembrandt House is definitely worth a few bucks. Loads of his paintings and etchings, including this one, beautifully preserved house of that era, and Rembrandt's amazing collection of curiosities and weird junk. There was a dried gila monster in with all the shells and things, how a dead gila monster got to 17th century Holland I don't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333May 6, 2020 10:56 PM

Interior of the Oude Kerk, Delft by Emanuel de Witte, probably 1650

The dog on the right is urinating on the column. I wonder if Dutch painters at the time had a relaxed attitude about Nature and bodily functions or if de Witte was being disrespectful to the Church. What's a dog doing in a church anyways? Different times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334May 6, 2020 11:13 PM

I am PROUD to be a Datalounger today!

Who else would know the Old Masters well enough to know where all the embarrassing dogs are!

by Anonymousreply 335May 6, 2020 11:55 PM

Astor Place by Francis Criss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336May 7, 2020 5:04 AM

Woman with Cigarette - Guy Pène du Bois

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337May 7, 2020 5:09 AM

This is one of those threads that has too many links attached and crashes when I try to reply with a link, so let me just say it’s “Self-Portrait, Yawning.”

by Anonymousreply 338May 7, 2020 5:10 AM

You have to get yourself a good laptop, Bootsy.

by Anonymousreply 339May 7, 2020 5:12 AM

I’d rather die than post on DL with a laptop, dearheart! For me it’s got to be iPhone or perish, I tells ya!

by Anonymousreply 340May 7, 2020 5:13 AM

If you give me the title of the painting and the name of the artist, I can post the link for you.

by Anonymousreply 341May 7, 2020 5:15 AM

[quote]I am PROUD to be a Datalounger today!

[quote]Who else would know the Old Masters well enough to know where all the embarrassing dogs are!

When I first came across the de Witte painting, I was going to copy it into my files but then I noticed the urinating dog and changed my mind. I think it's best if we pretend that people and animals don't have to relieve themselves.

by Anonymousreply 342May 7, 2020 5:44 AM

No explanation required

The New Age Of Slavery - Patrick Campbell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343May 8, 2020 3:27 AM

This was a fun escape and learning experience. I guess there will be a daily art quiz for the time being.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344May 17, 2020 12:41 AM

Houses on the Achterzaan by Monet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345May 17, 2020 12:49 AM

Jalais Hill, Pontoise by Pissarro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346May 17, 2020 12:50 AM

Wheat Fields by Jacob van Ruisdael

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347May 17, 2020 12:52 AM

Oh dear, I got 4/8, R344. Most of the answers were wild guesses. I did know which art movement George Bellows belonged to. I have no idea what is on British money since I don't live there. I cheated and found the Arnolfini portrait on wikipedia and enlarged the mirror to see what was missing. How did you do, R344?

by Anonymousreply 348May 17, 2020 1:02 AM

R348 I got 5/8 and studied Art History. The money threw me as a nonBrit, but I knew about hiding painting in the mines and the keeping spirits up activities. I’ll go back and try some more.

by Anonymousreply 349May 17, 2020 1:09 AM

More quizzes though if you aren't very knowledgeable about British history, geography and culture, you are at a disadvantage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350May 17, 2020 1:21 AM

Portrait of a Young Man by Pompeo Batoni

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351May 17, 2020 1:23 AM

Art museums offering virtual tours.

You can do more wandering around the Met on google street view, following the blue lines. Unfortunately places like the Louvre and the Vatican museums just have blue circles where you can do a 360 degree view of a room from a fixed point and can't do any "walking around". The National Gallery in London does have an advantage. There are black dots by many of the paintings. If you point your cursor at the dot, you can clearly see the title of the work and the name of the artist. In the Met, you usually just see the actual label in the museum, which is often too blurry to read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352May 19, 2020 2:58 AM

Gorgeous unknown painting (although its at the Met) by Pierre Auguste Cot..called "The Storm".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353May 19, 2020 3:09 AM

Yes, Cot's paintings are graceful and romantic and charming. Here's "Springtime" from the Met.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354May 19, 2020 3:25 AM

More on Sargent and his muse, the African American elevator operator, McKeller

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355May 19, 2020 3:35 AM

The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere by Grant Wood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356May 19, 2020 4:13 PM

The Arab Jeweler by Charles Sprague Pearce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357May 19, 2020 4:15 PM

Thanks, R355. I'd missed that.

Attached is a link to the Boston's Apollo exhibit at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358May 19, 2020 7:01 PM

Girl with Beret by Lucian Freud

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359May 22, 2020 9:19 PM

Pink Azalea - Chinese Vase

William Merritt Chase

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360May 23, 2020 5:19 PM

The Labyrinth by Robert Vickrey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361May 23, 2020 10:27 PM

R361 Thanks, I’m unfamiliar with him, I guess he was most know fir illustration at Time magazine. Like Paul Cadmus and Jared French up thread, he also worked in egg tempura, a slow going process, but creates a surface so different from oil painting.

He work reminded me of surrealist painter Lenora Carrington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362May 23, 2020 11:00 PM

Love that painting, R362 - enigmatic, strangely beautiful. At first I didn't recognise her name, but when I did a google search, I recognised the painting I've linked to from the Met's guide book. I have to say I much prefer your painting and the one at R4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363May 24, 2020 2:05 AM

R363 Thank you, it was unknown to me, but was an image that most closely fit my thesis that there were similarities between the two artists. It’s very dreamy, and there is a write up about it from an exhibition at USC if you want to know more about it. Of course the one you’ve chosen is her iconic painting, not least because it’s a self portrait. Someone who we should throw into this mix is her friend Remedios Varo. I put one of her paintings up too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364May 24, 2020 5:05 AM

Here’s Remedios Varo’s the Juggler, newly acquired in recent years by MOMA. There’s a nice article about her and the painting. It mentions that they don’t have a Carrington in the collection and this was the first Varo, which is shocking. Along with Kahlo, the three of them were woman artists working in Surrealist styles in Mexico City. The museum probably wouldn’t have even initially collected Kahlo, except one of their curators, Edgar Kaufman Jr. (of Fallingwater fame) gifted them her Self Portrait with Cropped Hair. Two other works followed in the 70s and 80s. MOMA does such a shit job of showing female artists, even though they’ve mentioned many initiatives to better balance the collection and what they have on display.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365May 24, 2020 5:20 AM

[quote]Someone who we should throw into this mix is her friend Remedios Varo.

I actually thought R4 was done by the same painter as "The Creation of the Birds" - similar fantastical creatures, similar styles. It makes sense that Leonora and Remedios were friends and influenced each other.

by Anonymousreply 366May 24, 2020 11:40 PM

Untitled, 2002 by Laura Owens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367May 25, 2020 5:10 PM

Ahmi in Egypt by Agnes Pelton

Pelton had an exhibition at the Whitney and was discussed in the NYT but to me, this painting looks like New Age kitsch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368May 25, 2020 5:14 PM

Ahmi in Egypt - Agnes Pelton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369May 25, 2020 5:17 PM

I thought R277 was a woman and her two daughters. It turns out she is a courtesan with two attendants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370May 26, 2020 9:12 PM

Maybe not my absolute fave, but I've always loved this Bassano. Gurl was one of us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371May 26, 2020 10:26 PM

This is an interesting start to a series about an artwork that changed the writer’s life, and they picked a wonderful work to start it off. Although I’m surprised that the editors didn’t catch an factual error when he mentions it being on canvas, it’s a panel painting. I get the writer confusing it, but the editors of an art blog should have caught and corrected it. But a nice read nonetheless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372May 26, 2020 11:25 PM

detail of the Triumph of Bacchus by Michaelina Wautier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373May 27, 2020 12:17 AM

"The Harvesters" is one of my favorite paintings at the Met, R272. "The Hunters in the Snow" looks surprisingly modern until you look more closely at the clothes of the subjects. I love the way it's composed, the way your eye is led from the hill in the forefront to the frozen river in the valley and then to the flying birds.

by Anonymousreply 374May 27, 2020 1:50 AM

^^^^ That would be R372.

by Anonymousreply 375May 27, 2020 1:51 AM

I assume the painting was commissioned for a church, R371. The priests must have been shocked and appalled (and maybe a little turned on).

by Anonymousreply 376May 27, 2020 4:36 AM

Fer shur, R376. There's no question where the eye is drawn to, and it ain't little baby Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 377May 27, 2020 10:03 AM

Probably a David Hockney

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378May 28, 2020 2:34 AM

Red Coat by Alex Katz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379May 28, 2020 5:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380May 30, 2020 4:28 PM

Magdalena Bay by François-Auguste Biard.

Oh no. Looks like dead bodies in the foreground.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381June 1, 2020 9:19 PM

I'm not a religious person but this painting is quite powerful.

Christ at the Column by Antonello da Messina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382June 1, 2020 9:22 PM

A Musical Party by Willem Cornelisz Duyster

Love the jewel tones of the gowns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383June 1, 2020 9:30 PM

Young Girl Crowned with Flowers by Boltraffio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384June 4, 2020 5:38 AM

Cupid and Psyche by François-Édouard Picot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385June 6, 2020 4:55 AM

"The Republican Club" by Andy Thomas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386June 6, 2020 6:53 AM

I like it better with dogs,......but really, who could tell?...

by Anonymousreply 387June 6, 2020 12:39 PM

Spring by Giuseppe Arcimboldo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388June 6, 2020 11:02 PM

The Librarian by Arcimboldo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389June 6, 2020 11:03 PM

Earth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390June 6, 2020 11:05 PM

I’m intrigued by the love of French Academic art on this thread! Though I don’t think anyone’s posted a work by Bouguereau who I consider the master, here’s one of his best owned by the Getty. What’s interesting is many of you who chose these works are probably not doing so out of a reaction to not liking Impressionism. But I imagine you may actually hold both in regard, which would be a big advancement 150 years plus on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391June 6, 2020 11:15 PM

[quote]I’m intrigued by the love of French Academic art on this thread!

That's because this very enthusiastic poster is now going through the tripadvisor photos of the Louvre. I have no difficulty appreciating both the Academic style and Impressionism, though I would think Impressionist paintings created a stir when they first appeared and a lot of negative reaction. It's more difficult for me to appreciate medieval painting and sculpture before artists had the skill to make them very realistic.

I like a lot of Bouguereau's work but I do get a kick out of the anecdote that Gauguin loathed his paintings and they only made him smile once when he came across two of them in a brothel in Arles, which he thought was an appropriate place for them.

I do like Bouguereau's "Breton Brother and Sister" at the Met.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392June 7, 2020 9:04 PM

I love Impressionism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393June 7, 2020 9:43 PM

Your link doesn't work, R393.

by Anonymousreply 394June 7, 2020 10:04 PM

^weird, it comes up for me

anyway it's one of Monet's Chartres

by Anonymousreply 395June 7, 2020 10:06 PM

Oh ok. Something wrong with my computer. Do you mean Rouen Cathedral?

by Anonymousreply 396June 7, 2020 10:11 PM

indeed, I did!

by Anonymousreply 397June 7, 2020 10:19 PM

I don't like the "academic" school. Too many painters painting naked women and calling it something pretentious, when it's obvious that they just like painting naked women.

I call it the "Male Gaze School of Painting".

by Anonymousreply 398June 7, 2020 11:21 PM

I like it when Academic painting involves male nudes.

"Mars listening to Moderation" by Antoine-Jean Gros on the ceiling of the Salle des Colonnes in the Louvre. I guess the pose of Mars was supposed to be heroic but it looks a bit campy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399June 8, 2020 5:44 AM

So many great paintings on this thread. Glad to see it still going strong!

by Anonymousreply 400June 8, 2020 6:01 AM

I love this one -- and both artists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401June 8, 2020 10:35 AM

Something a little different, these are actually charcoal drawings made by Robert Longo from a series called Men in the Cities, though there were females as well. This is three of them side by side, which increase their power and impact, I wish I could have seen the initial gallery exhibition with them all hung in the same room. If I remember correctly, Christian Bale has one in his apartment in American Psycho. Though their clothes were really based on the Punk aesthetic of the day, it also reminded people of Wall Street. For many people familiar with the series, there was an immediate visceral connection made on 9/11.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402June 8, 2020 11:17 AM

Longo worked in other visual media and was the director for New Order’s music video for Bizarre Love Triangle. Like any good artist he steals from himself, and while he appropriated many of the thousands of film images to make the video, he also includes newly filmed material as well. This includes an homage to Men in the Cities with these men and woman hurtling through brilliant blue skies looking like live action versions of his drawings. If I remember correctly he used trampolines to achieve the effect.

Another added image intercut in the music video is that of Wall Street like business people walking on the Liberty Street pedestrian bridge that ran between the World Trade Center to the World Financial Center. Surprisingly, it is still around as one of the few survivors of 9/11 from the World Trade Center site, though obviously refurbished. And another connection is the musical American Pyscho used period songs to help set the timeframe mixed in with original music, and while it wasn’t Bizarre Love Triangle, it did use New Order’s song True Faith.

Inexplicably, about 2/3 of the way through the video, which is saturated in bright colors, he stops the song and cuts to a black and white film of a couple who are arguing and being observed by another woman. The woman stops the argument with the statement that she doesn’t believe in reincarnation because she refuses to come back as a bug or other creature. Then the music starts up again and finishes out the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403June 8, 2020 11:56 AM

Here’s the scene in American Pyscho where Bale murders Leto with an axe to Huey Lewis and the News’ “Hip to Be Square.” Most of his review was lifted from the novel, which were some of the best parts. There are two Longos, one on each side of the stereo, which also gives you sense of scale and that they are larger than life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 12, 2020 6:45 AM

Great choice, R402, etc. and an artist I've never heard of. I'll have to check out "American Psycho". I've been avoiding it because I was worried it would be too violent, gory.

by Anonymousreply 405June 13, 2020 12:43 AM

What can I say? I'm attracted to conventional landscapes.

A Village in a Valley by Théodore Rousseau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406June 13, 2020 1:14 AM

This is cool. Untitled (Hercules) by Robert Longo, 2008

charcoal on paper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407June 13, 2020 1:39 AM

Tiger by Kishi Ganku

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408June 13, 2020 2:30 AM

Prince Alexander Konstantinovich Gorchakov, by Nikolai Bogdanov-Belsky, 1904.

He died DL young (41), about 12 years after this was painted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409June 13, 2020 7:20 PM

Not a painting but a photograph by Diane Arbus.

Mrs. T. Charlton Henry on a couch in her Chestnut Hill home, Philadelphia, PA 1965

That is one impressive wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410June 13, 2020 9:11 PM

^ bitch was a hair hopper!

by Anonymousreply 411June 13, 2020 9:19 PM

Lol, R411. You'd think a society lady would have enough taste to get something more natural looking, but I guess she wanted something big and voluminous to match her social standing.

by Anonymousreply 412June 13, 2020 9:29 PM

I’m not so sure that’s a wig...

by Anonymousreply 413June 14, 2020 2:29 AM

[quote]So many great paintings on this thread.

And R10 is the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 414June 14, 2020 2:30 AM

[quote]I’m not so sure that’s a wig...

Oh please, R413. There's no way a woman of that age has so much thick hair. You can tell it's fake.

by Anonymousreply 415June 14, 2020 2:33 AM

More of Mrs. Henry and her big ole wig. Another Diane Arbus photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416June 14, 2020 2:41 AM

Nocturn in the Parc Royal - William Degouve de Nuncques

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417June 14, 2020 5:45 AM

Moorish Screen - Matisse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418June 14, 2020 5:49 AM

Pierre Soulages

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419June 14, 2020 6:41 AM

Oh I do like Prince Alexander. Thank you for posting r409

by Anonymousreply 420June 14, 2020 7:17 AM

Not a painting but a very elaborate printed woodcut.

Arch of Honor by Albrecht Durer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421June 16, 2020 5:00 AM

El Perro - Francisco Goya

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422June 16, 2020 5:21 AM

^^^^ The head of a dog gazing upward. The dog may be drowning.

Quite modern

by Anonymousreply 423June 16, 2020 5:27 AM

Jules Breton, The Weeders. The way the waning daylight is rendered is brilliant. I used to get high and go to the museum and stare at it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424June 16, 2020 5:35 AM

You'd get high on weed and look at "The Weeders"?

by Anonymousreply 425June 16, 2020 5:44 AM

Yes R425, but I never made that connection until you pointed it out. I’m not kidding!

by Anonymousreply 426June 16, 2020 5:53 AM

That is too funny.

by Anonymousreply 427June 16, 2020 5:57 AM

Portrait of a Man in White - monogrammist LAM, French, 1574. Metropolitan Museum of Art

For the fabulous clothes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428June 18, 2020 1:48 AM

Barbadori altarpiece by Filippo Lippi

Style reminds me a bit of Botticelli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429June 22, 2020 4:36 AM

View of the Convent of Ara Coeli by Pierre-Henri de Valenciennes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430June 22, 2020 4:38 AM

A tour of the Louvre.

Oh, the good old days, when museums could be crowded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431June 22, 2020 4:40 AM

Newburyport Meadows by Martin Johnson Heade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432June 22, 2020 4:42 AM

Titian

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433June 25, 2020 2:58 AM

I must say, this new one is giving “The Weeders” a run for its money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434June 25, 2020 4:56 AM

Oh ok. It's a botched attempt(s) at restoring a copy of Murillo's "Immaculate Conception". The original is on the left, of course. The restorer missed by a mile. Maybe he or she was on weed. I hope the original is in great shape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435June 25, 2020 7:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436June 25, 2020 7:18 AM

Yeah, the original is, erm, not doing so well, R435.

by Anonymousreply 437June 25, 2020 10:41 PM

Like Spain needs to call a moratorium on all painting conservation and restorations except by highly trained and degreed practitioners pronto!

by Anonymousreply 438June 25, 2020 10:50 PM

I love him, so sue me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439June 25, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote]Yeah, the original is, erm, not doing so well, R435.

But the BBC article at R436 says the botched restoration was done on a copy of the painting, not the original.

by Anonymousreply 440June 25, 2020 11:34 PM

At the bottom of the BBC article, it says:

"An earlier version of this story incorrectly suggested the restoration was on the original Bartolomé Esteban Murillo artwork rather than a copy."

by Anonymousreply 441June 25, 2020 11:36 PM

Of course, the copy must be worth something for anyone to care.

by Anonymousreply 442June 25, 2020 11:41 PM

NYT says the original “Immaculate Conception of El Escorial” is at the Prado.

by Anonymousreply 443June 25, 2020 11:59 PM

Tamara de Lempicka, Madame Boucard 1931

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444June 26, 2020 12:32 AM

King Sebastian as Ecce Homo - Carlos Barahona Possollo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445June 26, 2020 12:52 AM

Adolphe Joseph Hout

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446June 26, 2020 1:04 AM

Anthony Van Dyke's 3 profiles of Charles I. It's ironic considering he ended up with no head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447June 26, 2020 1:05 AM

Let's try that again. Adolphe Joseph Hout

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448June 26, 2020 1:06 AM

Naughty, naughty, R447. The correct spelling is "van Dyck". Please stop using derogatory names for lesbians.

I really like van Dyck's other well known painting of "Charles I at the Hunt". I forgot that Charles I was the one who was beheaded. It's been a while since I took history in high school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449June 26, 2020 2:55 AM

Thank you, R441.

by Anonymousreply 450June 26, 2020 3:32 AM

R444 Madonna has a considerable collection of Lempicka paintings, she says she has a “small museum” of them. A few of them occur at the start of the Vogue video, and of course the Express Yourself video was very influenced by their look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451June 26, 2020 4:00 AM

[quote]Thank you, R441.

My pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 452June 26, 2020 5:28 AM

Saint Sebastian is usually good for a gander

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453June 26, 2020 10:44 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454June 26, 2020 10:46 AM

Lempicka's "Young Girl with Gloves". I like the stylized way she painted her curly hair to look like ribbons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455June 26, 2020 7:50 PM

Anthony van Dyck - Portrait of a Lady of Quality and her Child

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456June 26, 2020 7:57 PM

Leidy Churchman - Tallest Residential Tower in the Western Hemisphere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457June 27, 2020 4:12 PM

Jonas Wood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458June 27, 2020 4:26 PM

Nice painting, r445. I wasn’t familiar with the artist, and googled him. He has mad skills, but too many of his paintings are overly ‘homosexualized’ for my taste. It pigeonholes him, IMO, from serious painter into a fetish artist like Tom of Finland. That said, he has immense talent, and there are several I saw that I’d like to have...r445’s for one...

by Anonymousreply 459June 27, 2020 4:37 PM

Thanks for your interest, R459. I deliberately chose a few homoerotic paintings (eg. R448) to kind of spice things up.

by Anonymousreply 460June 27, 2020 4:44 PM

Probably a photograph and not a painting: Mike Pence by Oliver Wasow

very pretty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461June 27, 2020 4:48 PM

Oliver Wasow

Melanie looking tragic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462June 27, 2020 4:49 PM

Carlos Barahona Possollo, the artist who made R445, is quite cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463June 27, 2020 5:20 PM

The Dauphin, the future King François II, looking fabulous. Painted portrait on enamel by Léonard Limosin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464June 30, 2020 9:16 PM

Gustave Caillebotte “The Floor Planers.” For some reason this painting has stayed in my head, and as an Art History Major, I’ve seen tons of paintings. It’s pretty fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465July 1, 2020 3:13 AM

Thanks, R465, that's a pretty awesome painting, and I've never heard of it before, either.

When was it painted? Late 19th century?

by Anonymousreply 466July 1, 2020 4:27 AM

The Caillebotte painting is in the Musée d'Orsay. I was there a long time ago. Wish I had sought it out.

by Anonymousreply 467July 1, 2020 5:23 AM

Caillebotte's "Paris Street, Rainy Day" at the Art Institute of Chicago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468July 1, 2020 5:28 AM

I'd kill for this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469July 1, 2020 10:47 AM

It was painted in 1875, R466. I didn't realise there was another version of it from 1876. I prefer the one at R465.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470July 1, 2020 2:36 PM

I don't understand why they're actually planing the wood and removing wood shavings. Can't they just remove the varnish or whatever is on the surface?

by Anonymousreply 471July 1, 2020 2:49 PM

R471 r465 This painting was considered shocking when it debuted. Male nudity was associated with homosexuality which the painter was. The floor was scraped to make the color lighter.

by Anonymousreply 472July 2, 2020 11:29 AM

Oh ok. I assumed they were planing the floor because it had buckled or warped and was uneven.

by Anonymousreply 473July 2, 2020 2:25 PM

Very cool that Caillebotte was one of us.

by Anonymousreply 474July 2, 2020 2:27 PM

Fra Carnevale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475July 2, 2020 4:13 PM

Untitled, 2013 by Nasrollah Afjei

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476July 2, 2020 4:18 PM

Anselm Feuerbach by Thomas Couture. Feuerbach was not only a great artist but also quite beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477July 2, 2020 4:47 PM

An old photo I like - Cañon of Kanab Wash by William Bell, 1872.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478July 2, 2020 9:47 PM

Musical Fête by Giovanni Paolo Pannini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479July 10, 2020 7:21 AM

Let's try that again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480July 10, 2020 7:27 AM

The Nachtwacht or Night Watch by Rembrandt van Rijn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481July 10, 2020 7:53 AM

Alexander entering Babylon by Charles Le Brun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482July 10, 2020 3:38 PM

Bradley Walker Tomlin - Number 11

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483July 10, 2020 3:42 PM

Seated Odalisque by Matisse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484July 13, 2020 3:46 AM

The Wedding by Fernand Léger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485July 14, 2020 2:41 PM

Oh dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486July 14, 2020 2:43 PM

Flowers, Shells, Butterflies, and Grasshopper by Balthasar van der Ast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487July 14, 2020 4:45 PM

Rue de New York - Hippolyte Sebron

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488July 15, 2020 6:16 PM

Wow, most of you guys have trashy taste.

by Anonymousreply 489July 15, 2020 8:43 PM

You mean to say the Louvre and the Met are full of trash. That's revolutionary. Please show us some examples of your superior taste.

by Anonymousreply 490July 15, 2020 9:14 PM

Baked man on red pillow by John Singer Sargent is very tasteful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491July 15, 2020 9:31 PM

Sargent certainly liked painting male nudes, didn't he?

And no female nudes of his available online, funny about that.

by Anonymousreply 492July 15, 2020 9:42 PM

many by El Greco

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493July 15, 2020 9:44 PM

A man after my own heart, R492.

by Anonymousreply 494July 15, 2020 9:45 PM

[quote]Baked man on red pillow....

Baked? As in marijuana or opium? I hope it's the former.

by Anonymousreply 495July 15, 2020 9:58 PM

The Lady

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496July 15, 2020 10:36 PM

R493's link doesn't work for me.

The Fable by El Greco

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497July 15, 2020 11:22 PM

I like Sherman Williams.

by Anonymousreply 498July 15, 2020 11:24 PM

Post a few examples please, R498.

by Anonymousreply 499July 15, 2020 11:27 PM

Shocking.

Gabrielle d'Estrées and One of Her Sisters - Fontainebleau school, ca. 1594

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500July 16, 2020 12:08 AM

R500 More titillating than shocking.

by Anonymousreply 501July 16, 2020 12:15 AM

True. "Titillating" is a better word. I believe the gesture is meant to show that the woman on the right is pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 502July 16, 2020 12:27 AM

R495 - sorry -it should be Naked Man on Red Pillow. I didn’t notice I got autocorrected. I’ll take a baked man on a red pillow however.

by Anonymousreply 503July 16, 2020 1:19 AM

Hahaha. That makes more sense. I was wondering how you knew the guy was "baked".

by Anonymousreply 504July 16, 2020 2:48 AM

That should be hanging in one of America's top art museums, R496.

by Anonymousreply 505July 16, 2020 3:37 AM

There really are too many incredible paintings to actually choose a favorite, but Marcel Duchamp’s “Nude Descending a Staircase” deserves a mention...

by Anonymousreply 506July 16, 2020 1:48 PM

R506's choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507July 16, 2020 3:04 PM

Inspiration of the Poet by Nicolas Poussin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508July 16, 2020 4:05 PM

Whatever this one is called, by Vlaminck. Field before a storm or sumthin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509July 16, 2020 4:10 PM

R509, the title might be "The Harvest" or "Harvest under the Storm". Very nice painting. At first I assumed it was a van Gogh.

by Anonymousreply 510July 16, 2020 4:19 PM

Thanks, I guess that one is The Harvest, and this one is The Harvest In The Storm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511July 16, 2020 5:19 PM

Vincent, Wheatfield with Crows

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512July 16, 2020 9:13 PM

Still Life with Antique Head - Picasso

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513July 17, 2020 5:11 AM

Breakfast - Juan Gris

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514July 17, 2020 5:13 AM

[quote]Vincent, Wheatfield with Crows

Yes, very similar styles. I assume it was van Gogh who influenced de Vlaminck and not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 515July 17, 2020 6:08 AM

R515 De Vlaminck was after having visited one of Van Gogh’s expositions

by Anonymousreply 516July 17, 2020 7:49 AM

[quote]Yes, very similar styles. I assume it was van Gogh who influenced de Vlaminck and not the other way around.

Van Gogh died in 1890 and Vlaminck painted these in the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 517July 17, 2020 1:23 PM

That settles it, R517. It's odd that Vlaminck would imitate a style that was more than 50 years old.

by Anonymousreply 518July 17, 2020 1:41 PM

R517 R518 Van Gogh was poor during his life and also unknown. He only sold 1 or 2 paintings if I remember correctly. He became famous after his untimely death. De Vlaminck visited an expo of Van Gogh’s work around 1900 and was very impressed by it. So yes it did it inspire his own work. It just took some time for Van Gogh’s work to get out there.

by Anonymousreply 519July 17, 2020 2:02 PM

That makes sense, R519. Thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 520July 17, 2020 2:20 PM

R520 you’re welcome.

Van Gogh’s life was quite sad, it would make an interesting Hollywood drama some day

by Anonymousreply 521July 17, 2020 2:51 PM

R520 - I guess the 10 or so movies already created probably don’t do him justice?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522July 17, 2020 3:35 PM

Fair enough. I’ve not seen them all but no the two I saw. I didn’t like. I’ve read a lot about his life when I was young

by Anonymousreply 523July 17, 2020 3:46 PM

[quote]R520 - I guess the 10 or so movies already created probably don’t do him justice.

Haha. I haven't seen any of them. I've heard about the one with Kirk Douglas but I haven't gotten around to watching it. Which one did you like best, R522? I do know that he was quite poor and now his paintings set records when sold at auction.

by Anonymousreply 524July 17, 2020 5:03 PM

I'll have to check some of these out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525July 17, 2020 5:09 PM

Read his letters.

by Anonymousreply 526July 17, 2020 10:09 PM

Van Gogh made a guest appearance on "Doctor Who"! He's become part of pop culture, known by people who never willingly looked at a painting in their lives.

That said, his work really is awesome, and I recommend a visit to the Van Gogh Museum to any discerning Datalounger who finds themselves in Amsterdam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527July 17, 2020 11:27 PM

Don’t be put off because it’s YA, this is an excellent recent book about Van Gogh and his brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528July 17, 2020 11:39 PM

Après la Faute - Jean Béraud

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529July 18, 2020 2:06 AM

Not my favorite painting but it is awfully dramatic -- The Flood by Anne-Louis Girodet de Roussy-Trioson, 1806.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530July 18, 2020 5:37 AM

Oh, horse feathers. Maybe this will work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531July 18, 2020 5:40 AM

delightful thread, gurls

by Anonymousreply 532July 18, 2020 10:36 AM

I love it too, but with this many posting and the majority of them having images, it takes for ever to load. It will be nice when we get to thread 3 and it’s a lot easier to view.

by Anonymousreply 533July 18, 2020 10:42 AM

The Library by Maria Helena Vieira da Silva

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534July 19, 2020 2:35 PM

Composition with Three Figures by Fernand Léger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535July 19, 2020 2:52 PM

Arrow in the Garden by Paul Klee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536July 19, 2020 4:39 PM

David and Goliath by Daniele da Volterra

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537July 20, 2020 1:53 AM

Women of Algiers by Delacroix

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538July 20, 2020 6:08 PM

Oedipus and the Sphinx by Ingres

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539July 21, 2020 3:26 AM

Testing. Testing.... 1, 2, 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540July 21, 2020 3:28 AM

The Sermon of St. Stephen at Jerusalem by Carpaccio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541July 21, 2020 3:31 AM

Autour d'un Point by Frantisek Kupka

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542July 24, 2020 6:03 AM

Body Art by Erik Dietman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543July 24, 2020 6:25 AM

we llived near the rothko chapel for years, those blac boring depressing monotone canvases....good god. how do some painters git acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 544July 24, 2020 6:44 AM

Yeah, but you do recognise the genius that is Pierre Soulages, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545July 24, 2020 7:14 AM

Poor Fisherman by Puvis de Chavannes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546July 24, 2020 7:26 AM

Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun - Self Portrait with Daughter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547July 24, 2020 11:53 PM

anything by Viva, the superstar of Warhol times.....she paints with her clit. one is on display at the Whitney....

by Anonymousreply 548July 25, 2020 7:26 AM

Haha. You made my night, R548.

by Anonymousreply 549July 25, 2020 7:33 AM

Young Woman in a Ball Gown by Berthe Morisot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550July 25, 2020 7:34 AM

Here's a painting from Viva. I doubt she painted this with her clit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551July 25, 2020 5:36 PM

Another Viva painting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552July 25, 2020 5:38 PM

Can you find a pic of Viva's painting at the Whitney and post it, R548?

by Anonymousreply 553July 25, 2020 5:48 PM

Hospital at Saint-Remy by van Gogh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554July 26, 2020 2:04 AM

Garden of the Hospital in Arles by van Gogh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555July 26, 2020 2:15 AM

Ward in the Hospital in Arles by van Gogh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556July 26, 2020 2:16 AM

Portrait of Prince Charles by Bryan Organ

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557July 26, 2020 5:02 AM

JMW Turner: visionary, revolutionary. The first truly modern painter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558July 26, 2020 7:48 AM

Cezanne - another iconoclast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559July 26, 2020 7:49 AM

Vali meyers taught viva ev thing she knows....

by Anonymousreply 560July 27, 2020 6:06 AM

Samson Captured by the Philistines - Guercino

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561July 27, 2020 7:32 AM

‘Un bar aux Folies-Bergère’ by Édouard Manet 1882.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562July 27, 2020 7:57 AM

Anything by the Belligerant ANus.

by Anonymousreply 563July 27, 2020 12:14 PM

I had a dream 3 nights ago, that Ryan was inside Matt Damon and sucking his hot tittys while he plunged it in deeeep.

Matt's eyes were rolliing in back of his head as he shot cumwads all over ryans pretty face and nipples.

by Anonymousreply 564July 27, 2020 12:17 PM

That's terribly interesting, R564, but this isn't the "Erotic Dreams" thread. Please try to stay on topic.

by Anonymousreply 565July 27, 2020 2:30 PM

Lullaby II - Frank Moore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566July 28, 2020 7:07 AM

Arena - Frank Moore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567July 28, 2020 7:09 AM

Ocotillo Nocturne by Fred Tomaselli

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568July 28, 2020 7:29 AM

Untitled (One Liner) by Elliott Puckette

I like it but as far as I can tell it's just a pretty design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569July 28, 2020 3:03 PM

Buddha of Medicine Bhaishajyaguru - China, Yuan Dynasty, ca. 1319

Water-based pigment over foundation of clay mixed with straw

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570July 28, 2020 4:01 PM

Richard Humphreys, the Boxer - painted by John Hoppner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571July 29, 2020 5:38 PM

Two mad queens painting. I just skimmed through the video with the sound off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572July 29, 2020 5:45 PM

La Brioche by Jean Baptiste Siméon Chardin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573August 1, 2020 1:07 AM

Brioche - Chardin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574August 1, 2020 1:09 AM

Nicolas Bernard Lépicié -The Young Draftsman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575August 1, 2020 6:39 PM

The Doge of Venice Attending the Shrove Tuesday Festivities - Francesco Guardi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576August 1, 2020 8:45 PM

The one in the Louvre of matt damons georgous hot succulent tittys .....

by Anonymousreply 577August 2, 2020 12:45 PM

Please post it, R577.

by Anonymousreply 578August 2, 2020 2:39 PM

The Fourth Dimension - Patrick J. Sullivan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579August 2, 2020 4:09 PM

Not this one.

Peter Blume - Key West Beach

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580August 2, 2020 4:12 PM

Portrait of Pat Nelson by Edward Wolfe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581August 2, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]The one in the Louvre of matt damons georgous hot succulent tittys .....

No, Sanjay. You're thinking of R500. Wrong gender and you're centuries off the mark. You've got to pay attention to detail.

by Anonymousreply 582August 2, 2020 7:25 PM

Bathing by Duncan Grant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583August 3, 2020 3:43 PM

Dora Carrington - Farm at Watendlath

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584August 3, 2020 3:51 PM

Aggressively sexual.

Minotaur by Pablo Picasso

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585August 3, 2020 6:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586August 3, 2020 8:15 PM

R586 is Gauguin's Portrait of a Young Woman, Vaite (Jeanne) Goupil.

by Anonymousreply 587August 4, 2020 12:02 AM

Hieronymus Bosch - The Adoration of the Magi (detail)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588August 4, 2020 12:08 AM

R567 that’s mesmerizing. I’m going to look into that painting.

by Anonymousreply 589August 4, 2020 9:21 PM

R589, I guess I came across the pillows and polar bears painting first (Lullaby II) and then later found "Arena". I was probably looking through the Whitney's collection online to inject a little variety to the portraits of 17th and 18th century aristocrats, landscapes and still lifes that I usually go for. I believe Moore died of AIDS so he was probably one of us.

by Anonymousreply 590August 5, 2020 2:34 AM

Ambush for Flamingoes - George Catlin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591August 9, 2020 5:44 AM

Portrait of a Man in a Late Nineteenth-Century Frame

Joan Miró

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592August 9, 2020 6:34 PM

St. George and the Dragon by Bernat Martorell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593August 9, 2020 6:57 PM

Wifredo Lam - The Jungle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594August 10, 2020 3:37 AM

The Wrestlers by Thomas Eakins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595August 10, 2020 6:17 AM

Wojciech Ćwiertniewicz - Domestic Scene with Little Dog

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596August 10, 2020 5:42 PM

Laurtiz Tuxen - Male Nude in the Studio of Bonnat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597August 10, 2020 5:55 PM

After the Sitting by John Koch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598August 10, 2020 5:57 PM

The Little Theater - Salvador Dali

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599August 11, 2020 2:35 AM

Still Life with Old Shoe - Joan Miró

* * * * * THE END * * * * *

* * * * * * FIN * * * * * *

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600August 11, 2020 6:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!