Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is ROTTEN!

58% with 88 reviews! JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy ruined everything!

LOL!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225December 26, 2019 4:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2019 11:40 AM

Can they just end this already?

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2019 11:40 AM

It ended after thr first film. The rest is merchandising.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2019 11:41 AM

“rian johnson checking rotten tomatoes rn“

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2019 11:44 AM

And yet it will still make hundreds of millions of dollars. The joke is on us.

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2019 11:44 AM

[quote]Rather than making a movie some people might love, Abrams tried to make a movie no one would hate, and as a result, you don't feel much of anything at all.

Yup. And you can thank the incels for that after their TLJ freakout.

[quote]"The Rise of Skywalker" isn't a great "Star Wars" movie, but that may be because there is no such thing. That seems to be the way we like it.

This is also true. The original trilogy are cheap trashy fun, but people seem to remember them as cinematic masterpieces? Nostalgia is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2019 11:44 AM

This is the last one right? The trilogy is finished... Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and now this.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2019 11:45 AM

58% is being extremely generous. Words quoted over and over in multiple reviews even form places I expected would it give it a passing grade include “disappointment” “tired, lazy fanservice,” “useless plot points” etc., etc. it sounds like an unholy mess. Sad they couldn’t pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2019 11:53 AM

Apparently, I'm in the minority: I saw it at preview screening yesterday and absolutely loved it.

Yes, there's a lot crammed into its 2 hour and 20-ish minutes running time, but I thought it was a really satisfying -- and unexpectedly moving -- conclusion to the entire saga. It moved me to tears more than once. (I know: MARY!)

And the sheer scope and scale of some of the sequences was astounding.

I say all this as someone who loved the first three films, didn't really like two of the middle three films, and loved "The Force Awakens" but was largely indifferent to "The Last Jedi."

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2019 12:12 PM

Sadly for Kathleen Kennedy's reputation, she will now only been seen as having been a success because she was yolked to Spielberg all those years... so Spielberg was the genius, and she was just an effective aide-de-camp.

Ironically today Spielberg is trending on Twitter because it's his birthday.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2019 12:15 PM

[quote]Never cared for the series

So, why do you care abut the reviews on the new one?

I enjoy the series -- not a complete fanatic, but have enjoyed every movie to some degree. It's dumb entertainment for a couple of hours, not museum-quality art. Not into it? Move along. I'm pretty sure there's a remake of Pretty Woman with your name on it right around the corner.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2019 12:41 PM

JJ Abrams is overrated. I don’t know if or when Hollywood will realize that.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2019 12:43 PM

I have no idea what the fuck is going on in these movies. I only saw the force awakens and the newer GL ones. Will only watch for visuals and action, not the plot lol.

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2019 12:53 PM

It's times like this that I treasure my original full screen VHS copies of the first three films before all the changes and CGI were added.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2019 1:12 PM

I'm surprised actually, I would have thought they would smash it. I don't 'get' Star Wars, I've just accepted it's not for me, so I wasn't planning to see it regardless. I also am not interested in seeing 'Cats' so there's not really a big holiday release for me this year.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2019 1:26 PM

I thought that another trilogy was in the works? The only thing that changed was that the Game of Thrones directors got canned from the project (thank god.).

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2019 1:30 PM

I well never understand Star Wars mania. I was born a few years after the first one. I just never cared. And I have nephews who feel the same. No one cares. Not sayings it's bad. They want the next Fast and the Furious. Which i admit I like. It's silly.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2019 1:39 PM

Honestly... even with all the controversy surrounding The Last Jedi, and this new trilogy as a whole, I thought the critics would let this coast by with at least like... an 82% at the worst. 55% is bad... as in its gotta be doing some incompetent shit even for blockbuster standards.

We won't look back at Star Wars' Disney era fondly at all. We'll probably regard it as a largely missed opportunity due to seriously poor planning regardless of how positively or negatively we've felt about the films themselves. We have no one to blame but ourselves though. Star Wars sprang forth from humanity, and humanity loved it to death. We're all like Lennie and the puppy.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2019 1:41 PM

For all the laurels that are heaped upon Bob Iger, he is largely responsible for the creative stagnation of Disney. Only Marvel at least now appears to be the steady ship but that has the once in a lifetime talent of Feige.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2019 1:47 PM

Even The Last Jedi is at 91%.

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2019 3:14 PM

R20 I'm considering that TLJ at least tickled professional reviewers' desire for something 'new', even if it bothered so many that cared more deeply (in whatever good or bad ways they did). Its possible that into the public's eyes it'll actually be more enjoyable than a '58%', but still not that high because its banking so much on nostalgia (again; Force Awakens) instead of moving something, anything forward.

That's what people are getting with The Mandalorian (admit I haven't seen it yet). Its nostalgia maxed out, sure, including an outright non-Fett and non-Yoda, but its also a new story in the setting and from what I've heard, doesn't fuck with the lore and worldbuilding like it thinks it can do whatever it wants with it without consequences. What do we get with Rey and co.? Plodding nonsense that shouldn't have been that hard to map out to something of a compelling trilogy. And such an aversion to in-universe politics after the prequels that almost no one has any idea of the state of the galaxy (YOU KNOW THAT THING THAT THEY FIGHT *STAR WARS* OVER?) during and between each film.

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2019 3:27 PM

I just came back from the cinema. WTF??? Is there a spoiler thread where I can bitch about it. What a disappointment this movie is.

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2019 3:27 PM

Just use this thread.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2019 3:28 PM

So no one complains

SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILERS BELOW

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2019 3:29 PM

What the fuck, R26? How about a spoiler warning?

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2019 3:33 PM

What the fuck, R26? How about a spoiler warning?

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2019 3:33 PM

I’m just a casual fan so I’m not about nitpicking every scenes and storylines but just enjoying it. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2019 3:48 PM

Where are the spoilers?

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2019 3:54 PM

My heart goes out to all the Lesbians who died in the explosion of the Death Star prototype.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2019 3:55 PM

You can find spoilers on Twitter by searching for "Palpatine."

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2019 3:58 PM

I thought R24 was posting spoilers.

Guess not.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2019 4:06 PM

I think it's more that it feels as if each film of the trilogy was written by three different sets of market researchers, R6.

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2019 4:35 PM

^^I should rephrase that: it feels as if each film of the trilogy was written by a different set of Market researchers.

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2019 4:37 PM

Spoilers anyone?

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2019 4:37 PM

How dare you, Segment 42J!

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2019 4:37 PM

I didn't see the movie, but the spoilers on Twitter say that Rey is revealed to be a descendent of Palpatine and Palpatine wants to bring Rey and Kylo together to rule the Empire but Rey brings Kylo over to the light side but he dies and then Rey kills Palpatine with the help of the force ghosts of Luke and Leia and then goes back to live alone on her desert planet.

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2019 4:44 PM

So bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2019 5:02 PM

Hahah, that footage got taken down quickly.

Damn, what a clusterfuck this all seems to be. I'll be watching it, but I feel much better about not pre-ordering opening night tickets. I actually have a free Regal ticket because they fucked up a Knives Out showing, so I'll probably use that and see it for free!

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2019 5:19 PM

SPOILER . . . . . . The fact they had to resurrect a lame character killed off 36 years ago just to give this movie a villain is a huge problem.

by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2019 6:12 PM

Did they have this all planned out from the start? Or were they plotting it as they went along?

One of the extraordinary things about the MCU was how there was a basic narrative thread from beginning to end throughout the series, clearly indicating somebody in charge (Kevin Feige) knew what they were doing all along.

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2019 6:28 PM

George Lucas had a nine-film outline from years and years ago but Disney discarded it when they bought Lucasfilm and proceeded with the current trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2019 6:30 PM

Here's the Emperor at the end....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2019 6:40 PM

Here's the full opening, starts @ 1:16........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2019 6:41 PM

SPOILERS . . . . . . Huge, but he's only in it for a couple of minutes anyway, and he is almost is not needed to develop the story at all. At least he was pretty scary this time around and not a campy comedian like the previous time.

There WERE fantastic visuals, really it's the most tremendously visual film since The Phantom Menace. And rare for SW there is a bit of actual character development and some nice reflective moments. My favorite moment was when Harrison Ford shows up in spirit form.

But the whole movie is a pastiche to SW that just barely holds together. Plenty of groans whenever Driver was on screen, and groaning at the films plentiful corny moments. And really, just fuck JJ Abrams and his lens flaring.

by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2019 6:57 PM

[quote]Sadly for Kathleen Kennedy's reputation, she will now only been seen as having been a success because she was yolked to Spielberg all those years... so Spielberg was the genius, and she was just an effective aide-de-camp.

Spielberg hasn't had a big hit since Jurassic Park. West Side Story ain't gonna change that.

by Anonymousreply 45December 18, 2019 7:50 PM

[quote]Spielberg hasn't had a big hit since Jurassic Park.

Hahah, he's had tons of financial successes since 93.

by Anonymousreply 46December 18, 2019 8:13 PM

The first of these sequels - with Harrison dying, and it being boring af - was enough for me to not want to care about the others. Glad to see this one FINALLY being criticized, but it'll still make buckets of money.

It's always about the original 3, and always has been. Anything else, to me, is just fanfic. The prequels are an exercise in over-explaining the universe, ruining the mystique of it.

by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2019 8:20 PM

For those who have seen it, does Adam Driver take out his gigantic breasts again?

by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2019 8:30 PM

We'll all in agreement that The Force Awakens was just a retelling of A New Hope, right?

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2019 8:48 PM

That's been the party line since Christmas 2015.

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2019 8:49 PM

Rogue One was the only new SW film I thought was good. That one was very entertaining, imho. The Force Awakens was a re-telling of SW, and The Last Jedi was just a total piece of shit.

I wrote this on the other thread, but the new crop of actors (Ridley, Boyega, Driver, etc.) are just totally uninteresting and charisma-free and nobody really gives a fuck about them. There's no investment in the characters like there was with the original trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2019 9:48 PM

"This isn’t a proper film – just a nondescript, boring component in the Star Wars machine"

Stinker review from Irish Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2019 10:05 PM

I love the Irish Times reviewer.

"Star Wars was modelled on John Ford’s The Searchers and Akira Kurosawa’s Hidden Fortress. The current “content” has more in common with the last update of your PC’s operating system. Have fun watching the grey bar complete itself."

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2019 10:09 PM

Review: ‘Rise Of Skywalker’ Is The Worst ‘Star Wars’ Movie Ever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 18, 2019 10:52 PM

The Irish Times went in. "Component" is the reviewer's favorite word. It should be interesting when this film hits the public.

by Anonymousreply 55December 18, 2019 10:58 PM

LOL! So bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 18, 2019 11:25 PM

I'm debating whether to watch the scenes now or wait to see the badness in theaters. I'll probably wait, but honestly it's a load off going into this film with absolutely zero expectations.

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2019 11:38 PM

I'm sure the lesbian kiss didn't help

by Anonymousreply 58December 19, 2019 2:46 AM

Cam version is out!

by Anonymousreply 59December 19, 2019 6:25 PM

Then link, A hole!

by Anonymousreply 60December 19, 2019 6:32 PM

People are still into Star Wars?🤨

by Anonymousreply 61December 19, 2019 6:38 PM

Thanks r59! Found it.

by Anonymousreply 62December 19, 2019 6:46 PM

No you didn't.

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2019 6:53 PM

Sure did r62!

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2019 7:03 PM

142 mins? fuck that! all those *pew pew* sounds for that long sounds nauseating

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2019 7:08 PM

Couldn't even finish the cam version and I was pretty excited for it as well. Man, the writing is absolutely horrendous. 🤦‍♂️

The opening scrawl in Spanish was fun to read, though. Thank god I speak the language. 😄

by Anonymousreply 66December 20, 2019 2:30 AM

My opening scrawl was in Italian, but there were English subtitles that were so roughly translated they barely made sense. The rest of the movie was in English, though.

by Anonymousreply 67December 20, 2019 2:42 AM

daisy and john boyega are the weak links, horrible casting for these last films....

by Anonymousreply 68December 20, 2019 2:43 AM

People were booing the screen.

Awkward and amateurish, worst ever....

by Anonymousreply 69December 20, 2019 2:46 AM

boxes of popcorn were thrown at it when we saw it today

truly crap

jj abrams should hide in shame for this failure..

by Anonymousreply 70December 20, 2019 3:43 AM

[quote]daisy and john boyega are the weak links, horrible casting for these last films....

They have minimal talent and absolutely no charisma. They're both awful.

by Anonymousreply 71December 20, 2019 4:13 AM

I was laughing at the big climactic scene at the end, where Rey confronts the Emperor, who is actually her grandfather. It was like she was visiting old grandpa at the nursing home, and he was even hooked up to life-sustaining equipment. Laughable.

by Anonymousreply 72December 20, 2019 4:21 AM

I swear to god scat was thrown at the screen, people were running wildly for the exits...

by Anonymousreply 73December 20, 2019 4:30 AM

They hired an unbelievably charismatic actor, Oscar Isaac, and gave him fuck-all to do. He should have been a Han Solo, breakout character.

Boyega, Driver and Ridley are all good enough actors, but I thought the actress who plays Rose in TLJ was awful, or maybe it was just her storyline. The whole movie was Kylo Ren fanservice garbage.

I'm a SW fan, but I'm not planning on seeing this.

by Anonymousreply 74December 20, 2019 4:40 AM

This trilogy repeated the mistake of the prequels, too much on mystical Force shit when they should have been setting up fun characters like Han Solo and Lando Calrissian

by Anonymousreply 75December 20, 2019 4:42 AM

Boyega, Ridley and Driver should never have been cast in these frail epics.....they lack the basic skills needed. Driver is ok, but over exposed..

Poor Daisy, one feels sorry for her attempts....Boyega: wtf???

by Anonymousreply 76December 20, 2019 4:51 AM

True, r75. The Force shit should've been kept to a minimum. It gets really boring when they layer it on.

by Anonymousreply 77December 20, 2019 5:26 AM

Bringing the Emperor back just seemed like such a cop-out, like they had no idea what to do anymore and just pulled that out of their ass.

At the end of ROTJ, he was clearly dead as a fucking doornail, Luke triumphed, Vader was redeemed, THE END. Now we learn that it was all bullshit? It's just awful and lazy.

by Anonymousreply 78December 20, 2019 5:40 AM

My partner and I enjoyed it. Fun ride with moving moments. We’re not succumbing to the psycho need to over-analyze it like some of you loser insels.

by Anonymousreply 79December 20, 2019 6:28 AM

I thought it was a pretty pointless exercise with some hilariously bad moments... and like... maybe one good scene? Overall a complete mess that's way too scared to commit to anything and halfhearted whenever it does. Abrams is bad, and he should feel bad for a lot of the shit he put on that screen.

I will say that the legions of hooded Sith engaging in that call in response with Palpatine was HILARIOUSLY schlocky! Such pulp! Such camp! Who the fuck were they? Were they citizens of Exegol? Some giant cult? Manifestations of Palpatine's demons? They reminded me of Frollo's "Hellfire" sequence in Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Silly movie.

by Anonymousreply 80December 20, 2019 7:46 AM

R79 clearly your few remaining brain cells were damaged by exposure to the film. I condole you.

by Anonymousreply 81December 20, 2019 9:53 AM

Just saw the movie. It wasn't as bad as I thought. Will see it again once more with a friend. The directing was good, way better than anything in the Prequels. The writing was so so, not great. I thought it mirrored perfectly the shittiness, cheesiness, and absurdity of the Prequels. None of it makes any sense. But that's ok. Palps throwing Kylo down the shaft and having him crawl up again was a nod to Palps surviving the fall in Return and Darth Maul surviving being cut in half. The writers saying wink wink, yes we know how stupid this all is. But they had fun with it. When Kylo turns good again and becomes Ben it was quick and stupid just like how Anakin sneezes when the Emperor shoots Mace Windu off the roof and bang he is now evil and decapitates 500 younglings with his saber. Mace survived that fall by the way, he is coming back in a new show.

by Anonymousreply 82December 20, 2019 10:28 AM

Rey gone from the "daughter of nobody" in The Last Jedi into the granddaughter of the Emperor in this new film. In the end she retired in Tattoine and identify herself as Rey Skywalker because why not.

by Anonymousreply 83December 20, 2019 10:45 AM

Palpatine's son (Billy Howle) was kinda cute! That's a character that I want to learn more about. Being the son of the most powerful Sith Lord ever must seriously fuck you up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 20, 2019 10:48 AM

Can someone tell me why they chose Chris Terrio, who did the disastrous Batman V Superman, to write the screenplay?

by Anonymousreply 85December 20, 2019 1:24 PM

Lol... that's what happens when you include dykes that nobody wants instead of gay men that everyone wants.

by Anonymousreply 86December 20, 2019 1:27 PM

[quote]Can someone tell me why they chose Chris Terrio, who did the disastrous Batman V Superman, to write the screenplay?

I don't know, but there were some thematically contradictory moments in this film that reminded me of Man of Steel. This Terrio person... he's a hack, right? He lucked out by winning the Oscar for Argo, but hasn't followed that up with anything of quality despite the various high profile opportunities he's been given. Kushner should have won for Lincoln, and then maybe we could have been spared some really shitty blockbuster screenwriting.

by Anonymousreply 87December 20, 2019 1:42 PM

Lots of complaining here from people who haven't seen it (no, a shitty cam recording doesn't count) or who are "not planning on seeing this." I went last night and enjoyed myself. Not great, but enjoyable. It had everything I care about when I see a Star Wars film. Could it have been better? Sure. But I still enjoyed myself as did everyone else around me in the theater (no audible groans or inappropriate laughs or thrown popcorn).

by Anonymousreply 88December 20, 2019 1:59 PM

I went to see the film opening night, you can tell the film was written by the guy who wrote Batman v Superman. The scenes work when taken out of the larger picture and are entertaining but when placed in the narrative don't work at all. I mean the writer even repeated the most infamous piece of poor writing in the last few years. The moment that Kylo is turned back to Ben is when he hears the voice of his mother call out his name, the moment in BvS that Batman realizes that Superman is a good guy is when Superman utters the name Martha. The power of names, capable of turning anyone to the light!

In terms of performance Driver does well with what he gets, same with Issacc and Mcdiarmid (who realizes the writing is shite and turns up to 11), as per the previous films Ridley attempts to emote but just feels to robotic( her scenes with Carrie are painful as it obvious they wrote around the deleted scenes from the force awakens) and Boyega just hams it up thinking that's what constitutes as good acting not realizing that he comes across as a manic, screaming mess (The actor is a massive diva behind the scenes!), and everyone else is forgettable. The casting for the newer characters is clearly to show how woke disney and lucasfilm are, I guess that will be Kennedy's lasting legacy with Lucasfilm when she's fired next year.

by Anonymousreply 89December 20, 2019 2:31 PM

R89 how big of a diva??

by Anonymousreply 90December 20, 2019 2:34 PM

R90 Big enough that during the production the last jedi he threw a strop that Ridley was getting more to do and was being pushed as the star, it got so bad that Kennedy threatened to have his character killed off, this makes sense as right at the end of episode 8 Boyega's character is about to die when at the last minute he is saved by his love interest and then he basically does nothing, almost as if it was a last minute rewrite...

by Anonymousreply 91December 20, 2019 2:38 PM

I call bullshit on people throwing boxes of popcorn at the screen.

In what trash town do you live where people do that? The only people I've ever seen do that are characters in movies, not real people in real life.

Plus, most Star Wars fans are too fat to lift their arm and throw a bucket of popcorn more than a foot or two, much less over the audience members in front of them and up at the screen.

by Anonymousreply 92December 20, 2019 2:41 PM

R92 Star Wars fans are fat? My god you are stupid and delusional. Not true at all. Most SW fans (and Star Trek as well) are probably slim to nerdyfit, over educated, can't get laid, high IQed classical geeks or nerds. If you want fat idiots/morons look at fans of the Twilight series or 50 Shades of Grey. Fat, can't get laid, eat nothing but junk food or pizza, destined to die young from obesity related illnesses/diabetes. 100% fraus.

by Anonymousreply 93December 20, 2019 2:49 PM

But yet you believe boxes of popcorn were thrown in a movie theatre over nerdy anger issues with Star Wars, R93?

by Anonymousreply 94December 20, 2019 2:52 PM

R91 daaamn

by Anonymousreply 95December 20, 2019 3:02 PM

Ridley is such a shit actress. If you haven't seen the Kenneth Branagh remake of Murder On the Orient Express please don't bother, but I sat through the whole thing (hoping it might get better) and the movie ground to a halt when Ridley was onscreen. One of the worst performances ever.

by Anonymousreply 96December 20, 2019 3:07 PM

Terrio did not write Man of Steel, that was David S Goyer.

by Anonymousreply 97December 20, 2019 3:15 PM

R97 David just needs to stick to doing Blade movies.

by Anonymousreply 98December 20, 2019 10:20 PM

But Terrio did write Batman V Superman, which was somehow even worse than Man of Steel and like typical Hollywood was rewarded by getting the star wars job. Lets not forget that when Disney bought Lucasfilm, Kennedy hired Simon Kinberg to develop future movies and tv shows, the same guy that wrote the worst X-men movies and the director of the hot mess that was X-Men Dark Phoenix (a remake of the third film, which was considered a failure, that, yes, Kinberg had written), again another person who was rewarded again and again despite failure after failure. I wonder what it is about these guys that keeps getting them hired, despite clear lack of talent?

by Anonymousreply 99December 20, 2019 10:29 PM

[quote] I wonder what it is about these guys that keeps getting them hired, despite clear lack of talent?

It's a goddamn mystery, isn't it?

This film proves that Abrams is the picture boy of white mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 100December 21, 2019 5:43 AM

R99 I wish I knew.

by Anonymousreply 101December 21, 2019 8:08 AM

Looks like IX is on track to make 220 million. 90 in first two days, 70 today and 60 tomorrow. The boycott has failed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 21, 2019 4:54 PM

Seeing it again next weekend!

by Anonymousreply 103December 21, 2019 4:56 PM

There was a boycott?

by Anonymousreply 104December 21, 2019 5:01 PM

The first weekend was always going bring in loads, the studio wasn't worried about that, it's concern comes from whether the movie has legs? Will it be able to bring in money on it's second or third or sixth weekend?

by Anonymousreply 105December 21, 2019 5:34 PM

That is a good point. If 2nd weekend drop off is 60% - and internationally it only made 59 million in 2 days. Yikes that is not good. Fanboys are saying it will be 800 to 900 million box office at the end.

by Anonymousreply 106December 21, 2019 5:39 PM

[quote]Looks like IX is on track to make 220 million. 90 in first two days, 70 today and 60 tomorrow. The boycott has failed.

Who was boycotting - the neck beard incels or the SJWs bemoaning the undoing of TLJ's woman empowerment?

While $220mm is nothing to sneeze at and the movie will undoubtedly break $1b worldwide, Star Wars was one of the movies that started the entire blockbuster tentpole era of movies.

The debate should be whether the last movie of the Skywalker series of nine core movies would surpass Avengers Endgame. Few movie even have a shot at that kind of box office, and this one blew an opportunity, not to mention blew an opportunity to make a good, beloved movie.

by Anonymousreply 107December 21, 2019 5:43 PM

If this movie makes anything less than 1.5 billion then Lucasfilm is going to have a major reshuffle next year. Expect Kennedy to head back to Spielberg and JJ back to Paramount to work on a Mission Impossible reboot and the Star Trek films. Favreau will no doubt head-up Lucasfilm with Dave Filoni at his side and Kevin Feige on speed dial anytime he needs advice.

by Anonymousreply 108December 21, 2019 5:47 PM

JJ moved to Warner Brothers.

by Anonymousreply 109December 21, 2019 5:53 PM

Never seen a Star War, never will. x

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110December 21, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote]If this movie makes anything less than 1.5 billion then Lucasfilm is going to have a major reshuffle next year. Expect Kennedy to head back to Spielberg and JJ back to Paramount to work on a Mission Impossible reboot and the Star Trek films. Favreau will no doubt head-up Lucasfilm with Dave Filoni at his side and Kevin Feige on speed dial anytime he needs advice.

The rumor is that Kennedy has already been sidelined and is effectively out. They quietly signed a new contract without fanfare, but the story is they did it to avoid the controversy of firing one of the highest ranking women in Hollywood.

Abrams and Paramount - The CBS and Viacom re-merger puts Trek back together and under the control of Viacom. Shari Redstone is reported not a fan of where Trek has been taken, especially of Abrams and his gang like Kurtzman. It will be interesting to see what happens with Trek after the merger.

by Anonymousreply 111December 21, 2019 5:56 PM

[quote]Never seen a Star War, never will.

Thanks for sharing such a deep-felt sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 112December 21, 2019 6:01 PM

Lucas wryly critiques Rise of Skywalker. I love it. "You don't have daddy to kick around anymore".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 21, 2019 6:09 PM

I'm guessing WB wants Abrams to oversee DC then? So we can expect Michael Keaton to come back as old man Batman in a Batman Beyond movie that basically copies the Batman 1989 plot and kills Keaton's batman off. For the finale of the Beyond trilogy Abrams brings back Nicholson, who refuses to wear the Joker makeup and only has 5 minutes of screen time.

by Anonymousreply 114December 21, 2019 6:36 PM

I'm certain George Lucas is swimming in schadenfreude right now.

by Anonymousreply 115December 21, 2019 6:43 PM

ROFL R114

by Anonymousreply 116December 21, 2019 6:46 PM

I think it's my favorite of the sequels, plot holes aside.

I find John Boyega endlessly bland and I HAAAAAATE Finn. All he does is chase Rey around and shout her name.

THIS Is the biggest issue with the sequels: the lack of an overall structure. Which is BAFFLING at a company like Disney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 21, 2019 11:29 PM

I actually love Rey now that she is a Palpatine. Her powers make sense. Reylo is an awesome coupling and the trilogy should have been about these two only. Every other character was pointless/useless. The fans gave no fucks for Finn or Poe or any of the other side characters. There should never be anymore than three main characters.

by Anonymousreply 118December 21, 2019 11:43 PM

R118 I think Oscar Isaac has charisma for days, but wasn't given enough to do.

I never want to see John Boyega again.

by Anonymousreply 119December 21, 2019 11:50 PM

Best part of the film was when Rey used force lightening to blow up that ship.

Only the Sith can wield lightening, no?

by Anonymousreply 120December 22, 2019 12:04 AM

It was too fuckin’ long. Laughed at the sight of Mark Hammill.

by Anonymousreply 121December 22, 2019 12:07 AM

I saw it today. It is bad. I mean bad with the prequels counted.

Visually and technically, it is fine, but plot and character wise (and this is Star Wars, the bar is low), it is bad.

I'm genuinely surprised Disney went with this. It will make money because it is Star Wars, but they can kiss their repeat viewings goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 122December 22, 2019 12:13 AM

My sister and I saw Star Wars at a drive in movie. We took her 4 year old son who immediately fell asleep. We had a hard time staying awake. The bar scene was ok, but the rest was a mess.We had difficulty staying awake. We thought it was cheesy. Carrie Fisher was plain looking & a bad actress. She was pretty awful. She later redeemed herself as an author and was good in a few movies years later. Harrison Ford seemed to be overacting to make up for the crappy interior of his space craft & special effects.

I never watched another Star Wars after that.

by Anonymousreply 123December 22, 2019 12:22 AM

Exactly. Disney has pissed off their core audience who are white men. Calling them every name in the book. Epis 7 and 8 should never have existed. Finn and Poe should never have been characters. The ideas in Episode 9 should have been spread over 3 movies. Reylo and the return of Palpatine and Rey as his grand daughter would have been enough. O well.

by Anonymousreply 124December 22, 2019 12:26 AM

[Quote] Abrams and Paramount - The CBS and Viacom re-merger puts Trek back together and under the control of Viacom. Shari Redstone is reported not a fan of where Trek has been taken, especially of Abrams and his gang like Kurtzman. It will be interesting to see what happens with Trek after the merger.

I don't know why they gave Star Trek to Abrams in the first place. It's not a secret that he's a Star Wars fan. And that franchise went to shit after the first movie.

by Anonymousreply 125December 22, 2019 12:32 AM

R123 What an amazing story you told. I'm sure everyone falls asleep hearing you speak.

by Anonymousreply 126December 22, 2019 12:44 AM

The movie bombs in China...likely will not even top $20 million.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 22, 2019 1:03 AM

The spinoffs (Rogue One, Solo) are better than the sequels.

by Anonymousreply 128December 22, 2019 1:05 AM

Sounds like "The Mandalorian" is better.

by Anonymousreply 129December 22, 2019 1:09 AM

China has never liked any Star Wars movie. Probably makes just a few million. Hiring that Vietnamese wench in Last Jedi would have done nothing.

by Anonymousreply 130December 22, 2019 1:12 AM

JJ sidelining Kelly in this one was bullshit. It wasn't her fault she was stuck in a boring subplot in TLJ. And we still had to suffer though John Boyega's "acting"

by Anonymousreply 131December 22, 2019 1:15 AM

Rose was a horrible character, totally unnecessary. Basically a fangirl stand-in. They should've shoved her in an airlock and blasted her into space.

Everybody sucked except for Oscar Isaac.

by Anonymousreply 132December 22, 2019 1:23 AM

The Mandalorian is 100% better R129, which means that the wrong people are in charge at Lucasfilms at the moment. This is Disney’s Justice Leauge. Too much, too fast, no “greater” creative vision for the brand.

I know those of you who aren’t fans say “who the funk cares?”, but you have to factor in what Disney paid for Lucasfilms. The hundreds of millions the just spent on possibly DOA Disney park attractions. This is big business and they might have just screwed the pooch.

by Anonymousreply 133December 22, 2019 1:26 AM

R132 Finn was as grossed out (in The Last Jedi) and disgusted when Rose assaulted him with her lips as when Madonna raped poor Drake's mouth with her orifice that has taken a million dicks.

by Anonymousreply 134December 22, 2019 1:28 AM

Disney also got Industrial Light & Magic when they bought Lucasfilm, so they were paying for -- and got -- more than just the Star Wars IP.

by Anonymousreply 135December 22, 2019 1:39 AM

The lack of a Kevin Feige (guiding hand) for this trilogy is a serious problem.

by Anonymousreply 136December 22, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]JJ sidelining Kelly in this one was bullshit. It wasn't her fault she was stuck in a boring subplot in TLJ.

She was an ancillary character. Rey, Finn and Poe are the Luke, Leia, Han of the new trilogy and it makes sense that the focus stays on them.

by Anonymousreply 137December 22, 2019 1:43 AM

As others have said here, the best thing for SW going forward is for The Rise of Skywalker to massively fail that way Kathy Kennedy and her brainless little bimbos can be expunged and the adults can take over. Everyone on Twitter is in love with Pedro Pascal the man behind the mask and Baby Yoda. They are both hugely popular and created thousands of memes. They are the future of SW.

by Anonymousreply 138December 22, 2019 1:47 AM

R137 this movie was the first that made me feel anything for Rey. I was rooting for Finn to die. Dreadful character. They are no Luke, Leia, and Han.

And I wasn't expecting Kelly to be front and center, but giving her about 5 lines was harsh.

by Anonymousreply 139December 22, 2019 1:47 AM

True R135, and I’m sure the have made their money back several times at this point, so it isn’t like Disney is going to lose money on Star Wars, I just think they kind of screwed the brand for at least the next 10 years cinema wise. Disney plus may work out.

It doesn’t even have to be a producer R136. Harry Potter was very successful because Rowling (and her editors) had a plan. The later books were overly long and messier than the earlier ones, but she more or less stayed on track. That isn’t happening here.

by Anonymousreply 140December 22, 2019 1:49 AM

To show Carrie dying again in this movie was poor taste

by Anonymousreply 141December 22, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote]But Terrio did write Batman V Superman, which was somehow even worse than Man of Steel and like typical Hollywood was rewarded by getting the star wars job. Lets not forget that when Disney bought Lucasfilm, Kennedy hired Simon Kinberg to develop future movies and tv shows, the same guy that wrote the worst X-men movies and the director of the hot mess that was X-Men Dark Phoenix (a remake of the third film, which was considered a failure, that, yes, Kinberg had written), again another person who was rewarded again and again despite failure after failure. I wonder what it is about these guys that keeps getting them hired, despite clear lack of talent?

Talent-free yet well-connected white men failing upwards? Whoever heard of such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 142December 22, 2019 1:53 AM

Disney+ is already overperforming for Disney and its true potential isn't even in streaming subscribers, it's in brand engagement -- it creates a feedback loop between Disney's parks, movies, and customers' living rooms. It will probably wind up being the best risk Disney's ever taken.

by Anonymousreply 143December 22, 2019 1:54 AM

Saw it today, thought it was pretty much a mess, if technically well-done. Would sell my first born for a chance to rim Oscar Isaac. My God, that man is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 144December 22, 2019 1:56 AM

R141 they didn't really have a choice. Would you have preferred "and Leia walked into the other room to do battle plans"?

by Anonymousreply 145December 22, 2019 1:56 AM

R141 Considering what a lifelong drug addict and coke fiend Carrie was, it'd have been apt if they had a Death Star made of coke, Carrie would snort it all at once then turn into a Force ghost.

by Anonymousreply 146December 22, 2019 1:57 AM

Bitch died years ago and they show her dead on a table again!!!

by Anonymousreply 147December 22, 2019 1:57 AM

[quote]Everyone on Twitter is in love with Pedro Pascal the man behind the mask and Baby Yoda. They are both hugely popular and created thousands of memes. They are the future of SW.

One thing about that is because I think everybody is so fucking tired of all the mystical Force shit. Yes, Baby Yoda has Force abilities but it's not the main focus. The Mandalorian is action-adventure with interesting characters. That's also why Rogue One was such a hit with audiences. Going forward with Star Wars, they should really put the Force stuff on the back burner. We don't need to see one more apprentice learning the ways of the Jedi and endless lightsaber fights, it's just so tired at this point.

by Anonymousreply 148December 22, 2019 2:01 AM

It's really, truly not rotten. It's a perfectly good adventure movie, and it ticks every box a serious fan would want ticked for closure. As someone who is not a serious fan (haven't even seen all of the awful middle three), I thought it did this without being too cloying or messing up its own plot.

Abrams has done everything that could be expected with what he had to work with. Its Star Wars, not literature.

by Anonymousreply 149December 22, 2019 2:02 AM

agreed, ridley and boyega ruin ev movie theyr in:::pitiful actors/divas.....specially la boyega.

lousy casting has haunted these last movies...

by Anonymousreply 150December 22, 2019 2:06 AM

Well I flicked my bean during this movie.

by Anonymousreply 151December 22, 2019 2:08 AM

[quote]One thing about that is because I think everybody is so fucking tired of all the mystical Force shit.

That's because the way Abrams et al. have used the force is without rules, limits, or consequences. They just used it to magic their way out of HUGE plot corners they had written themselves into.

Brandon Sanderson has a very good way of thinking of such things;

1. An author’s ability to solve conflict with magic in a satisfying way is directly proportional to how well the reader understands said magic.

2. Weaknesses (also Limits and Costs) are more interesting than powers

3. Expand on what you have already, before you add something new. If you change one thing, you change the world

Abrams and Johnson both violate these, thus the Force ceases to be interesting and becomes a deus ex machina any time they need to fill a plot hole.

by Anonymousreply 152December 22, 2019 3:01 AM

Mmmmmm.. baby I need my hole filled.

by Anonymousreply 153December 22, 2019 3:04 AM

Losers bitching incessantly about a Star Wars movie. Get laid.

by Anonymousreply 154December 22, 2019 3:17 AM

hey Abrams, ya made a dud, and half the cast is a dud. wtf???

by Anonymousreply 155December 22, 2019 3:41 AM

They only care about ticket sales. They don’t give a shit about reviews.

by Anonymousreply 156December 22, 2019 3:46 AM

They must care to an extent because this film exists as a response to the previous film's poor response.

by Anonymousreply 157December 22, 2019 3:48 AM

[quote]Everyone on Twitter is in love with Pedro Pascal the man behind the mask and Baby Yoda.

Between Mando and WW84, he is going to be big business a year from now.

by Anonymousreply 158December 22, 2019 9:30 AM

Pascal was in a few episodes of The Mentalist wooing Lisbon trying to steal her away from Patrick Jane. Pascal is a million times hotter than Simon Baker. Baker is a shrivelled up Ozzy trash raisin. He looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 159December 22, 2019 10:21 AM

Hmmmm 195 million even with the boycott. But multiple viewings will never happen. Will be lucky if it hits 900 million. Loads of other movies being released. Other studios know it is toast, a dead franchise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160December 22, 2019 10:50 AM

[qupte]Hmmmm 195 million even with the boycott.

Several people in this thread have referred to a boycott that doesn't exist.

None of the bigger youtube channels that focus on Star Wars, sci fi, or the superhero movies have mentioned anything of the sort. Other than a few of the usual suspects who are "so disappointed" over the sidelining of Rose or how they "caved to the trolls," there doesn't seem to be any such boycott.

So, if you have a link for a reputable source calling for a boycott, share it with us.

by Anonymousreply 161December 22, 2019 3:41 PM

Nah, it's ok.

by Anonymousreply 162December 22, 2019 6:58 PM

Was it true the Rise of Skywalker was intended to be an animated musical, but they reworte the script to appeal to wider audiences?

by Anonymousreply 163December 22, 2019 7:00 PM

And yet The Mandalorian is receiving much love and plaudits. Ironic that it took John Favreau - a Marvel guy - to reinvigorate the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 164December 22, 2019 7:03 PM

Forecast dropped to 175 million this weekend. Anyway this turkey is finished. I am happy w dat.

by Anonymousreply 165December 22, 2019 7:36 PM

They were the spirits of the dead Sith over the eons, r80.

I didn’t mind that so much, but the “I’m all the Sith!” and “I’m all the Jedi!” powers were over-the-top porn.

And Exegol sounds like a prescription laxative.

by Anonymousreply 166December 23, 2019 12:18 AM

There was no “wink-winking,” r82. The filmmakers are just always trying to have their cake and eat it, too. Nobody really has to die and Rey doesn’t want to attack Palpatine because she’ll turn into a Sith, except when she wants to attack him with Kylo-Ben.

by Anonymousreply 167December 23, 2019 12:31 AM

R69, r70 + r73 is an obvious troll, people.

by Anonymousreply 168December 23, 2019 12:59 AM

Wrong, r93.

STAR WARS fans are fat. Most adult Americans are fat and nerds are mostly fat, too.

by Anonymousreply 169December 23, 2019 1:01 AM

R168 lol. She probably only has the voices in her head to have company with. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

by Anonymousreply 170December 23, 2019 1:02 AM

We get it, r148. You hate the Force.

But used moderately, it’s good. The Force wasn’t the primary problem with this movie.

Repeating plots and porning up multiple powers was. Plus having too many damn characters.

by Anonymousreply 171December 23, 2019 1:40 AM

THE LAST JEDI got a mostly good response, R157.

by Anonymousreply 172December 23, 2019 2:22 AM

My brother loved it and I thought it was okay.

I don’t really know what I wanted or expected from the film but this wasn’t it. I honestly wanted more Luke. I was surprised at Harrison’s cameo but I wanted more from the original people.

That last scene where Rey is back at the old homestead was surprising and touching and I did tear up but not enough.

Who the hell is that Kelly character you’re all going on about?

by Anonymousreply 173December 23, 2019 2:27 AM

r171 the whole problem was that it was a re-tread of the Jedi apprentice/Jedi master stuff. And yes, also because there were too many characters and none of them were interesting.

by Anonymousreply 174December 23, 2019 2:56 AM

[quote]Who the hell is that Kelly character you’re all going on about?

The fat Asian chick.

by Anonymousreply 175December 23, 2019 2:57 AM

Oh, R175, thanks.

She was a nobody character, literally anybody could have read those lines. 🤷🏻‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 176December 23, 2019 3:21 AM

COOL STYLING FAIL

This is what happens when nerds try too hard to be cool and the urge to sell toys and make a children's cartoon overcomes realism.

NOTE: Cracked helmets don't glow neon red. There's no blood or fluorescent dye in there. If it's magical Force glow, it should go back to cool school.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177December 23, 2019 3:34 AM

But the real show-sinker here was Dominic Monaghan's aggressive Botox and brow lift.

Rey should have used Dominic's face against Palpatine -- it would have warded him off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178December 23, 2019 3:44 AM

Don't forget to take our poll:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179December 23, 2019 3:45 AM

I thought it was really weird how Dominic would keep getting closeups and dialogue...when he was NEVER introduced

by Anonymousreply 180December 23, 2019 3:51 AM

[quote]I thought it was really weird how Dominic would keep getting closeups and dialogue...when he was NEVER introduced

I was surprised how much he was given to do. I think he had more screentime than Domhnall Gleeson (Hux).

I get why Greg Grunberg had a lot of scenes - he's JJ's longtime friend, but Dominic? One of the most useless actors on LOST? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 181December 23, 2019 3:54 AM

Miserable losers hating on a zippy sci-fi action fantasy ride of a movie based on zippy B movies of the 30s and 40s. Get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 182December 23, 2019 3:56 AM

R181 at least Greg was in TFA. Dominic was just popped up as if we were supposed to know who he is

by Anonymousreply 183December 23, 2019 3:58 AM

I just saw it and I loved it. Pure thrill-ride fun. I'm a big Star Wars fan and wasn't happy with the last one, but this one made up for a lot of that. It was everything that Star Wars has always been...fun.

I didn't take the kiss at the end as romantic at all. I thought they just had a strong bond and it was an acknowledgement of that. Really loved Ben's turning away finally from the dark side. He was never really all in anyway.

by Anonymousreply 184December 23, 2019 4:06 AM

I'm really shocked that there was no mapped-out plan for the trilogy. It really shows. I can't stand it when they make it up as they go along.

by Anonymousreply 185December 23, 2019 4:11 AM

R182 seems triggered

by Anonymousreply 186December 23, 2019 4:32 AM

R182 the same could be said about you reminiscing about old movies in the 50s or stupid celebrities. You get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 187December 23, 2019 5:00 AM

Doesn't matter if its rotten, not one bit. The Star Wars bots will attend and maniacally dramatize their adventure and give themselves new reasons to live yammering about it endlessly. It will make a massive amount of money.

After 44 years, it's more than time to shut down this zombie franchise!

by Anonymousreply 188December 23, 2019 5:05 AM

Zombie franchise is a great description for it.

by Anonymousreply 189December 23, 2019 7:00 AM

[quote] Dominic was just popped up as if we were supposed to know who he is

Another example of what makes Abrams a hack.

The movie is incredibly poorly paced and rushes from exposition to exposition to fill in all the ridiculous story elements he's no capable of actually showing. Yet, he wastes time on random characters like GG and Dominic who are trivial to the actual story. GG blows up and Po is upset. They NEVER had a meaningful scene together, but his death is THE thing that caused Po to spiral into self-doubt.

Frankly, rather than introducing yet another useless character, I would have preferred Rose get more lines since Johnson wasted so much time on her character in the last movie. At least it would have made this less a disjointed mess than it was.

by Anonymousreply 190December 23, 2019 7:26 AM

[quote]Dominic was just popped up as if we were supposed to know who he is

I wrote on the other thread that I couldn't place who he was (I've never seen LOTR or Lost) and he just seemed like this random guy who was getting screen time. It kind of took you out of the story if you didn't know who Monaghan is or his connection to Abrams. It was like "who the fuck is this guy? Is his character supposed to be important?" It seemed really weird and random to a person who didn't know the context.

by Anonymousreply 191December 23, 2019 7:40 AM

Yeah. Abrams likes putting his friends in movies. But at least Keri Russell got an intro and context. She said she took the role to be cool with her middle school aged son.

Dominic seemed like a random extra the camera kept finding.

by Anonymousreply 192December 23, 2019 2:40 PM

Kiss my Klatooine paddy frog, r182! Your life is cyberstalking nerds anonymously.

"If it's from the '30s, it must be bad."

Fucking nerf-herder!

by Anonymousreply 193December 23, 2019 7:55 PM

r184 is the Replier 182 from the "STAR WARS a Legit Mess" thread trying to drum-up support for his embarrassing misinterpretation of Rey and Ben's romance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 23, 2019 8:00 PM

I'm sorry that you're too dumb to understand the complexities of human emotions, r194. Are you the idiot who posted that Kylo was asking Rey to marry him by taking his hand?

by Anonymousreply 195December 23, 2019 8:52 PM

Worldwide box office for its debut is less than The Last Jedi. It looks like it will struggle to hit the $1 billion mark, which would be less than half of what The Force Awakens made.

There 's no way Kathleen Kennedy's contract will be renewed after this.

by Anonymousreply 196December 23, 2019 9:36 PM

It was fine enough. Not sure why all the fans have hate it

by Anonymousreply 197December 23, 2019 10:25 PM

[quote]There 's no way Kathleen Kennedy's contract will be renewed after this.

They already very quietly signed a renewal that takes her to 2021.

The fact that there was no announcement and no fanfare is a huge sign.

by Anonymousreply 198December 23, 2019 10:31 PM

To me R197, it was the small stuff.

"You were a spice trader?" What the hell is. a spice trader? They never set that up in previous movies.

What was Finn's "secret"? I can make a guess but they never answer it, and this is not one of those metaphorical "Lost" questions.

Luke throws away his saber in TLJ but catches Rey's?

I know THJ wasn't what everyone wanted (I liked it), but Abrahams could have done something with it. He didn't. He said, "Fuck it, we are starting over, and we will do it in 2.5 hours".

It was just so sloppy.

by Anonymousreply 199December 23, 2019 10:42 PM

R199 Spice goes back to episode IV, Luke tells old Ben that his father wasn't a Jedi but a navigator on a spice freighter. And I think Han was running spice for the hutts. Lots of drug dealers in the SW universe.

by Anonymousreply 200December 24, 2019 1:08 AM

R199 Spice goes back to episode IV, Luke tells old Ben that his father wasn't a Jedi but a navigator on a spice freighter. And I think Han was running spice for the hutts. Lots of drug dealers in the SW universe.

by Anonymousreply 201December 24, 2019 1:08 AM

Spice is the illegal narcotic of the SW universe, like coke or heroin. Spice traders are drug dealers.

by Anonymousreply 202December 24, 2019 1:25 AM

We just saw it. We didn't hate it. We just came away feeling underwhelmed. It's the kind of movie you forget by the time you get home.

by Anonymousreply 203December 24, 2019 2:22 AM

[quote]Spice is the illegal narcotic of the SW universe, like coke or heroin. Spice traders are drug dealers.

"He who controls the spice controls the universe.”

by Anonymousreply 204December 24, 2019 3:41 AM

It was really terrible. Predictable. Rehash of plots.

Love the Mandalorian.

by Anonymousreply 205December 24, 2019 5:33 AM

[quote] What the hell is. a spice trader? They never set that up in previous movies.

They did in DUNE!

by Anonymousreply 206December 24, 2019 5:49 AM

The references to Spice in Star Wars are because of Dune. Lucas was paying homage to that series. In A New Hope, C3PO is terrified that he and R2 will be "sent to the spice mines of Kessel, or smashed into who knows what?" while on the Jawa's sandcrawler. Spice has always been mentioned in Star Wars so it wasn't a surprise when it was revealed that Poe used to smuggle it.

by Anonymousreply 207December 24, 2019 10:28 AM

R199 According to Abrams at some screening held this past weekend, Finn wanted to tell Rey he was force sensitive too.

by Anonymousreply 208December 24, 2019 5:06 PM

Objectively Adam Driver is the fugliest fug that ever fugged, but seeing him on the big screen, he is weirdly hot. Major charisma and BDE. I give him major accolades for acting his heart out with this dreck.

by Anonymousreply 209December 24, 2019 5:21 PM

[Quote] We just saw it. We didn't hate it. We just came away feeling underwhelmed. It's the kind of movie you forget by the time you get home.

Like every other Star Wars movie except the original 3

by Anonymousreply 210December 25, 2019 12:43 AM

There has been one great thing about this new trilogy that has been consistently great all throughout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211December 25, 2019 1:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212December 25, 2019 1:44 AM

R212 I think you mean...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 25, 2019 3:46 AM

I didn't think it was a great movie, but Abrams was clearly listening to the fans. He expanded Poe's role, made Finn part of the main mission, made Rey more relatable, gave Leia a fitting sendoff, brought back the original characters (albeit very briefly), brought back Palpatine (everyone hated Snoke), sidetracked Rose because she was annoying, and brought back all of John Williams cues from the original trilogy. Unfortunately Abrams was saddled with all of Rian's poor decisions, but he couldn't have done any better with what he had to work with.

by Anonymousreply 214December 25, 2019 4:05 AM

R214 let's not pretend Force Awakens was a masterpiece, especially with casting.

by Anonymousreply 215December 25, 2019 4:10 AM

I'll see your Sith Jar Jar and raise you a Robot Chicken:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216December 25, 2019 4:35 AM

They really wrote themselves into a corner with the earlier movies, which doesn't even account for the fact that Carrie Fisher's role had to be cut out at the last minute. Snoke sucked, but Johnson had already made the bizarre decision to kill him off in The Last Jedi. And no one was buying Kylo Ren as the next Darth Vader even in Force Awakens.

by Anonymousreply 217December 25, 2019 4:48 AM

I saw it tonight with friends and it was indeed awful. JJ just isn't a strong enough director to pull off something as, for lack of a better word, "iconic" as a Star Wars chapter.

by Anonymousreply 218December 25, 2019 4:48 AM

R216 I love The Star Wars episodes of Robot Chicken 😆

by Anonymousreply 219December 25, 2019 5:45 AM

Why is it after all the mediocre to okay films JJ has written and directed that people excuse this pointless, waste of film? Surely by this point it has been proven he's a middle of the road director with no real vision.

by Anonymousreply 220December 25, 2019 11:24 AM

Because JJ is a reliable studio hack, meaning he knows how to appease studio executives and corporate oligarchs.

by Anonymousreply 221December 25, 2019 11:32 AM

People suspect that fake audience reviews for the movie flooded Rotten Tomatoes. The audience score has only flucuated by a couple of percentage points since opening. Many reviewers don't have verified profiles or have only reviewed one film: The Rise of Skywalker.

by Anonymousreply 222December 26, 2019 2:30 PM

Interesting, r222.

by Anonymousreply 223December 26, 2019 3:20 PM

So Disney is having their minions pump-up the audience score at Rotten Tomatoes?

by Anonymousreply 224December 26, 2019 3:55 PM

[quote]The audience score has only flucuated by a couple of percentage points since opening.

Actually, I noted in one of these threads that the Audience score of 86% has not changed at all no since it had only 6000-ish reviews. Now,it's up to almost 54000 reviews and is STILL 86%. At all points when they've updated the score and shown thousands of additional audience reviews, it has remained constant at 86% - very improbable mathematically.

by Anonymousreply 225December 26, 2019 4:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!