Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the most traumatic thing you've ever witnessed in real life?

I saw a horrible oncoming car crash on a two lane road just ahead a few yards ahead of me. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 149December 18, 2019 8:50 PM

When I was kid we were riding motorcycles in the field behind our house. My sister's best friend drove right into the barbwire fence and ripped half her face off. She survived but needed numerous surgeries. She was 13.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2019 9:28 PM

9/11

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2019 9:29 PM

Daddy’s cum face. x

by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2019 9:30 PM

Halloween parade in the 70s, car plowed into the people lining the street and watching.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2019 9:30 PM

R2 For a moment there, I thought you were rating this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2019 9:31 PM

This...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2019 9:34 PM

ha, r5. I should have been more specific and said the time a jet flew into my office building and then another one hit the building next door. It fucked me up quite a bit mentally but I am grateful that I wasn't killed.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2019 9:34 PM

Lucy's "Mame"

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2019 9:35 PM

Desegregation.

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2019 9:38 PM

Saw Boris Johnson waiting for a train once. The hair! Oh God, the hair. x

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2019 9:39 PM

I saw my father vomiting up blood/hemorrhaging, at home, due to his alcoholism, the year he died. I was 8 or 9. I haven't seen too many horrible things happen right in front of me. Me losing the top of my big toe as a kid with blood everywhere wasn't too fun either. I felt light headed and saw the blood trail as I walked into the house... remember seeing my mom pour stuff over it and I passed out.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2019 9:40 PM

I went to Paris on my own when I was 18. I saw a man get a broken bottle ground into his throat outside a cafe. Just one of my most significant memories from that trip.

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2019 9:41 PM

R12, yikes!

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2019 9:49 PM

Weird OP mentions a road accident. Just last week I witnessed my first accident, which was fortunately minor (a lady bumped off somebody's hood moving slow at an intersection). It was not injurious as far as I know, but seeing it happen from thirty paces off left me a little shaken and reminded me that I have a Freeze response.

The most traumatic thing I've seen in my entire life is likely seeing my 6-month old puppy's mangled body (she was hit by a ten-wheeler) being lowered into a grave by my Dad, when I was just a gradeschooler. Or it's the night of my 18th birthday when I returned home to find a member of my family curled up on my parents' couch emaciated and silently screaming. He was severely anorexic and out of his mind on opiates. I walked right back out of the house and started having a panic attack and weeping. Sadly that image is still burned into my brain, yet the now-recovered addict/ED sufferer doesn't remember a thing about the incident or that period of his life.

I feel fortunate not to have seen too many other deaths or gruesome injuries, as I'm very squeamish and sensitive plus I tend to imprint and internalise upsetting images.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2019 10:02 PM

from an adjacent thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2019 10:08 PM

I witnessed a suicide. Something slitting their throat.

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2019 10:21 PM

Jesus r2/r7.

And fuck off and die r9.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2019 10:25 PM

Once I saw a pedestrian being hit by a car. It was slow moving, and the pedestrian actually stood up after and walked away, but you could hear a terrible thud.

I lived in a not great neighborhood a while back and dealt with a few gunfire battles and, when we had a whore living in our building, a few screaming matches and the cops being called on speed dial.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2019 10:30 PM

What happens to a deceased person when the body isn't discovered right away and lives with house cats.

No matter how much food and water is in their dish, they start to consume the corpse, starting with the eyes/lips. If it goes on for more than a day or two, the whole face is eaten off by day 3.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2019 10:46 PM

R18, yikes. Where did you live?

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2019 1:11 AM

Trans vagina.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2019 1:18 AM

The 2016 Presidential election

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2019 1:29 AM

Honest answer? My sweet, loving, kind, funny but terribly drug addicted boyfriend of many years swinging from a rafter in the addict. I'll say no more on this matter.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2019 2:15 AM

I could mention the imminent homicide of the twat who signs every crap smear with an "x," but I'd prefer to let it be a surprise.

So I'll just mention going with a friend to check on his mother. His father was American Indian but his mother was Japanese, who he married while in the navy overseas. She was a miserable woman, always guilting her kids, complaining, controlling. His father had died two years before and she just got more and more hateful.

She had called him and left a message to say she was on a trip to see her sister in LA because she was tired of being alone. His aunt happened to call about 10 days later and the mother had never said anything about coming for a visit. They never got along. No one got along with the mother.

So he called me and asked me to go over to her house to check. We walked in and the stench was unbelievable. She was in the living room dead. Somehow she had hammered nails into the wall above the sofa on either side of where she was and strung a thin wire on them low, and apparently had pressed her neck into the wire and moved her head side to side until she cut through the throat. Her head looked like it was about half cut off, here skin was black, there were flies and things and the whole carpet was like something out of a Hellraiser movie, soaked and thick.

Sorry. The whole thing was so hideous and planned. She left notes for him and his sister and cut them to ribbons, calling them miserable useless children with no love who had always disappointed her and drove her to do this. She had even killed the cat, which was laying in a bathtub upstairs. He started screaming and wet his pants when he saw her and kept it up. I called 911 immediately and when an ambulance (yeah, right) and three cop cars showed up he was still on the floor - across the room - screaming and crying. We didn't know about the cat or note until they searched the house. God it was awful. And the woman even had turned the heat up.

She had planned it all so they'd find this nightmare eventually, knowing she'd be rotting away and then they'd find the note. She had taken all her money out of the bank and other accounts and they never knew where it went. Just evil. He's never really gotten over it.

Sorry. Like reliving it.

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2019 3:22 AM

Well, R17, R8 took my first answer.

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2019 3:23 AM

Ok, R24 that was one of the most horrible thing I've heard. I hope you and your friend got therapy.

by Anonymousreply 26December 6, 2019 3:26 AM

Too many.

by Anonymousreply 27December 6, 2019 5:32 AM

I was ten, I remember it was on father's day. I was at the beach with my parents. About half a dozen hanggliders that had taken off from a nearby mountain were flying in the sky, and waiting for their turns to land on the beach. I remember a loud thud and a guy falling from the sky, right into the ocean. The bolt or carabineer holding his harness had broken, leading to a 300 ft fall into 4 ft of water.

Some surfers brought his body back to the beach. I made the colossal mistake to go take a look. The face, the eyes. Wow. On the soundtrack of his wife and daughter crying. They had been waiting for him to land on the beach.

To this day, 34 years later, this memory still haunts me.

by Anonymousreply 28December 6, 2019 5:33 AM

So many!

Step-dad's penis poking through his pajama bottoms gap (he didn't know). I was six and so disgusted.

A dead body of an old man who'd just died in a car accident being carried from the wreck of his car into an ambulance.

by Anonymousreply 29December 6, 2019 5:42 AM

I watched someone eat those nasty circus peanut candies once. The nightmares persist.

by Anonymousreply 30December 6, 2019 5:47 AM

Two somewhat after the fact children’s hospital stories, there was a nine year old who’s mother had a psychotic break and stabbed her multiple times and left her for dead in a snow bank. Luckily the extreme cold slowed the bleeding and the lowered body temperature helped her to survive. She was admitted to the hospital under an assumed name, but the press was rabid about finding out her identity and we had multiple situations of giving her other aliases and moving her room to keep them from identifying her.

There was a wonderful little boy toddler about two and a half years old who was so excited to see his father and ran to meet him. His father was mowing the lawn and on the slick grass he slipped and slid right into the mower and his arm was dismembered and beyond saving. The father was so destroyed by the experience, yet the kid was this bright happy little fellow and was totally adapting by the hour.

So each of these were more about the fathers having to cope with the traumatic situations about their child and what happened to them and were heartbreaking to witness.

by Anonymousreply 31December 6, 2019 5:47 AM

r31, while I read your post, for some reason I kept flashing on this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 6, 2019 5:52 AM

our schnauzer disappeared for months. when we moved out of the house I discovered the remaining half of his body behind a lattice underneath the front porch.

as a child riding my bike I remember finding the severed head of a german shepherd sitting upright in the center of a dirt road, surrounded by a stick-drawn pentagram.

dead humans don’t bother me; dogs do.

by Anonymousreply 33December 6, 2019 8:28 AM

My dog died because of my stupidity and sloppiness. Her death shocked me to the core and I still have not recovered.

by Anonymousreply 34December 6, 2019 8:34 AM

R35, neither has your dog.

by Anonymousreply 35December 6, 2019 8:41 AM

The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple of hours went by. Dad wasn’t home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. And that’s when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He’d been climbing down the chimney on Christmas Eve, his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that’s how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

by Anonymousreply 36December 6, 2019 8:42 AM

Numerous hideous deaths by AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 37December 6, 2019 10:06 AM

Both of mine were more after the event than seeing it actually happen - I saw a guy who was up a ladder and had accidentally electrocuted himself, and I saw the aftermath of a car crash where the windscreen was mostly shattered but with a sheen of blood across the remaining edge that haunted me for days.

by Anonymousreply 38December 6, 2019 10:28 AM

This past October when I was in Kathmandu, Nepal, I visited an ancient part of the city where many Hindu shrines were located. As I walked down by the river I saw stone slabs near the river banks. Some had wood piled on them and others were burning. It only took me a few seconds to figure out what I was seeing. This is where families come to cremate their loved ones. I diverted my eyes from the burning piles. You could smell death in the air.

by Anonymousreply 39December 6, 2019 11:04 AM

[quote]yet the now-recovered addict/ED sufferer doesn't remember a thing about the incident

Erectile Dysfunction?

by Anonymousreply 40December 6, 2019 11:17 AM

A customer sat at my desk, stick his arm in my face and slashed his wrist.

by Anonymousreply 41December 6, 2019 11:30 AM

R35 - yes I know. No need for input from an obese old fart like you though. Go back to fuck with your cat or your nephew, shithole deathfat.

by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2019 11:36 AM

My dad's best friend get beheaded while being struck on his motorcycle.

by Anonymousreply 43December 6, 2019 11:38 AM

After the fact - the smashed head of a dead motorcyclist in the middle of traffic.

Luanda, Angola 2014

by Anonymousreply 44December 6, 2019 11:49 AM

a gang of young blacks beating a poor man almost to death , trying to rob him....they did these quick robs on 4 people over a weeks time. were never caught...bastards!

by Anonymousreply 45December 6, 2019 11:53 AM

Wasn't that Pheobe Cates' character's story in the first 'Gremlins' movie, R36? 😏

by Anonymousreply 46December 6, 2019 11:57 AM

Thank you R46, I was trying to remember where that was from.

by Anonymousreply 47December 6, 2019 12:05 PM

I saw an arborist cut through a power line. All that registered at first was a loud explosion and a flash but then I realized there was a man swinging from a harness around his waist, jerking and contorted as though he were doing a backbend. There was speculation that it was a suicide because he had been too experienced to make that kind of mistake.

by Anonymousreply 48December 6, 2019 12:15 PM

R42, you need mental help.

by Anonymousreply 49December 6, 2019 12:44 PM

r40 no, EXPLOSIVE DIARRHEA!

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2019 12:54 PM

I lost my phone once

by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2019 12:59 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 6, 2019 1:02 PM

When I was 9 years old I saw this hideous thing in "TROG".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 6, 2019 1:09 PM

I was at the air show at Selfridge Air Force Base where the guy plummeted 200 feet to his death trying to transfer from a plane to a helicopter. I was there with my sister for her summer office party. We were in a reserved, VIP area and so close to where he actually fell. You could feel the thud from his fall under your feet. It's been over 8 years and I still have bad dreams about it.

by Anonymousreply 54December 6, 2019 1:19 PM

I was at the circus when I was 12, and nets weren't used for the acrobatic acts. There was a brother-sister duo way up high on the ceiling doing a balancing act on a see-saw type thing. The brother lost his grip on the bar and fell to his death. I saw him splat right in front of me. I haven't been to a circus since. I can't even watch trapeze acts on TV to this day.

by Anonymousreply 55December 6, 2019 1:30 PM

R24 Holy mother of God what a gruesome story!! You win. That woman was equal parts evil and insane.

by Anonymousreply 56December 6, 2019 1:37 PM

[quote]I could mention the imminent homicide of the twat who signs every crap smear with an "x," but I'd prefer to let it be a surprise.

That's one of the rightwing anti-immigrant anti-trans anti-Meghan etc. etc. trolls we've picked up in recent years. I suspect their name and their "eccentric habit" of using the x is to hide the fact that they're an old regular using a sockpuppet account.

by Anonymousreply 57December 6, 2019 1:48 PM

Last year I was driving on a highway between towns and there was an older car, early 2000s I'd say, pulled over by a state trooper, and just as we passed I saw the back window shatter and a spray of blood on the inside windshield, and the cop in whatever that shooting stance is called. I didn't hear a thing, I just saw it. The windshield cracked along the lines of those heated wires inside to defrost the glass.

The worst part is that nothing ever made the news.

by Anonymousreply 58December 6, 2019 1:53 PM

You need to clarify your story R58. What are you describing? Someone shot the cop that pulled you over? The cop tried shooting you?

by Anonymousreply 59December 6, 2019 2:43 PM

Seeing a woman's swollen face after she was beaten by her boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 60December 6, 2019 3:12 PM

Up to this point, seeing a dog get hit by a car. Very troubling.

by Anonymousreply 61December 6, 2019 3:13 PM

When I came home one afternoon and there were two men hiding in my apartment. They tied me up and robbed me. There were only 4 apartments in the tiny LES building and no one else was home. They could have done anything.

by Anonymousreply 62December 6, 2019 3:34 PM

I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 63December 6, 2019 3:38 PM

The Trump Administration

by Anonymousreply 64December 6, 2019 4:00 PM

My Mom died at home.

by Anonymousreply 65December 6, 2019 4:09 PM

A young couple moved in across the street and she was pregnant. One summer evening, we were outside playing under the street light on the corner, and we heard screams coming from the house. She ran outside with her blouse torn and her hair wild, and he came running out after her and he beat her with his balled fists while she screamed and sobbed for help. My mother called the police. The girl's father arrived and took her away. Thecops stayed there for a while but they didn't arrest him. About a month later they moved and we discovered that the house was owned by her father who was trying to help them out until they got on their feet.

by Anonymousreply 66December 6, 2019 4:10 PM

Oh hell - between my personal life and my jobs I've had I've seen tons of traumatic stuff. I won't regale you with it but when I worked for the State Attorney General I still have a visual image of some of the crime victims.

Now down here in the Atlanta metro area - I mean I saw some interesting car crashes up north but down here they take it to a new level. I saw one jeep that crashed into a divider on a highway exit. Then I've been in traffic jams to discover a pileup of cars in a crash. Plus I've become adept at spotting the flashing blue lights that indicate traffic is gonna be a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 67December 6, 2019 4:15 PM

dad was driving the car with friend in front seat with his arm resting on the window, it was cut off, the arm, by a passing car. my dad never got over it....

my worst was seeing a gang of blacks attack a poor lady in union square and mug her badly, they removed her bag, watch and shoes and fled. ethics can find jobs? I ddont get it.....

by Anonymousreply 68December 6, 2019 4:43 PM

I also watched both towers go down from my office on 9/11. It was so surreal I almost dissociated ... but what snapped me back into reality was our tough as nails CEO breaking down in sobs of utter fear.

One other: when I was around 10, and a burgeoning gayling, I was walking on Lexington Ave with my dad and I saw this really handsome guy on a ten speed riding adjacent to traffic. I trained my sight on him cuz he was so good-looking, and out of the blue a bus swerved and he got sucked under the wheels. I screamed instinctively. You could see his mangled, lifeless broken body splayed out on the street. It was so horrifying.

That’s why I’ve NEVER ridden a bicycle in NYC. Or any other city for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 69December 6, 2019 4:56 PM

Oh, the horrors I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 70December 6, 2019 5:06 PM

R69 - so true. Riding a bicycle in the city is insane.

The first week in NYC at 19, heard a screech outside my window. Looked out and a homeless man had been run over by a car. Twisted and bloody. Within 15 mins, everything was cleaned up and there was no remnants of accident - traffic flowing like nothing happened. One of many lessons of NYC that reminds me how insignificant we are and how fleeting and irrelevant our lives are. Doctors and nurses see it all the time I guess - provides real perspective on life’s “problems”.

by Anonymousreply 71December 6, 2019 5:22 PM

I can't really think of anything.

by Anonymousreply 72December 6, 2019 5:32 PM

As a kid I lived in really nice, residential neighborhood in Detroit. Yes! In the 70's there were some nice residential neighborhoods in Detroit. A lot of autoworkers, union members making nice money to raise a family, buy a house, and send their kids to good public schools, then college lived there. But I digress.

I was with my mother visiting her friend who was recovering from surgery, and I was in the living room watching TV, and they had this big picture window. Anyway, I heard brakes screech, and looked out the window to see two cars facing one another at the intersection, in this quiet residential neighborhood.

Two young men exited their respective cars and seemed to argue. It was very brief. One of them went inside the house kitty corner from my neighbor, while the other guy waited for him. He came back out with a hand gun and shot him three times, then slowly walked back to his car got in and drove away while the other guy lay in the street bleeding out. I later heard he was DOA.

by Anonymousreply 73December 6, 2019 5:38 PM

The most ghastly event I was witness to was when Bunny Bixler and Gloria Upson were in the semi-finals - the very semi-finals, mind you - of the ping-pong tournament at the club. They were both playing way over their heads and the score was 29-28. Theere was this really terrific volley and Gloria stepped back to get this really terrific shot, stepping on the ping-pong ball! She just squashed it to bits. They ran to the closet of the game room to get another ping-pong ball and the closet was locked! Imagine? They had to call the whole thing off. Well, it was ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 74December 6, 2019 5:48 PM

Terrifying.

At least stories like this give me hope for the people hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 6, 2019 6:00 PM

The day school ended, a high school senior wrapped his motorcycle around a tree in front of our house. He was dead before the EMTs got to the scene

by Anonymousreply 76December 6, 2019 6:11 PM

I was waiting at Hudson and Bleecker Streets. Heading north there's a curve before the traffic light. A woman standing in front of me assumed no cars were coming. She was hit, flown into the air, landed on the road and run over by another car.

by Anonymousreply 77December 6, 2019 6:27 PM

Being stuck on the freeway in a massive traffic jam caused by an accident. When I finally got to the accident scene they had covered someone's body in the driver's seat and the sheet was bloody. The car had obviously rolled over as it was mangled, but it was sitting upright when I got to it. `Something looked very strange about the body and a then i suddenly saw why. The person's head had been ripped from her body in the accident and they had the head covered with another bloody sheet in the far right traffic lane. Later that night the report was on the news. Somehow the seat belt had wrapped around the driver's neck in the accident and ripped her head off.

by Anonymousreply 78December 6, 2019 7:20 PM

I was in Moscow on a vacation. I saw a young boy and his father begging. They were both playing the violin, standing barefoot in broken glass.

by Anonymousreply 79December 6, 2019 7:21 PM

R68 is just rambling and looking for the Stormfront website.

by Anonymousreply 80December 6, 2019 7:23 PM

R77 - sorry to be a nit but having lived between Hudson and Bleecker, they don’t intersect.

by Anonymousreply 81December 6, 2019 7:49 PM

I was sitting on my grandparent's front porch, and some young lady was walking her small dog down the sidewalk - I'm think it it was a schnauzer or something like that. A guy on a motorcycle happened to be driving by, and the dog darted out in front of him. The dog basically "popped" like a water balloon filled with blood, and the lady was screaming like crazy. The guy on the motorcycle didn't even stop, he just kept on going.

by Anonymousreply 82December 6, 2019 7:52 PM

When I was in India for the holidays 3 years ago, in the middle of the night we heard fighting in the street and then someone beating a woman up, the sound of something heavy hitting a human body again and again, and her cries. The sounds were awful. Literally the sound of someone being beaten to death. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know what the police or emergency number was (and I barely understand Indian English). I wanted to get out and help but the family I was with told me not to get involved, that I could get hurt too, that there could be retaliation later on the people in the house. Finally it stopped and we could hear moaning and people getting in the street to help, and then an ambulance. It was nightmarish. I don't think I'll ever forget that.

by Anonymousreply 83December 6, 2019 7:56 PM

E J Johnson in person. ARGGGHHHHHHH ! RUN !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 84December 7, 2019 4:57 PM

I’m surprised Ryan Murphy hasn’t fallen all over himself when it comes to this creature, it seems right up his alley. Surly there must be some part in Pose season three for it. Maybe the decayed mummified corpse they closeted last season?

by Anonymousreply 85December 7, 2019 5:38 PM

When I was 12 I saw the local bully sucker punch a really old man who got angry with him for riding his bike near people who were walking. The old guy just collapsed on the pavement. The ambulance came and took him away.

I heard later that when the police got involved and they knew this kid because he'd been trouble most of his life, his own mother beat the living shit out him and dragged him to the police station and told them to charge him with anything they could.

He ended up going to a juvenile detention for six months. When he got out his mother sent him off to Moncton to live and work on his uncle's dairy farm.

Everyone at school was happy because he was a fucking terror.

by Anonymousreply 86December 7, 2019 5:48 PM

R24, I hope your friend is okay and got therapy. That had to be the most gruesome thing I’ve ever read.

by Anonymousreply 87December 7, 2019 6:21 PM

I worked in my university library. I had one shift when we closed locked up at 10pm. When clearing the floors, I saw a girl walking the staircase to a staff only floor. When I caught up with her, she told me she had to stay in order to kill herself. I laughed and told her to go downstairs but she smiled at me and continued up the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 88December 7, 2019 7:38 PM

R88 Was this at NYU?

by Anonymousreply 89December 7, 2019 8:47 PM

America

by Anonymousreply 90December 7, 2019 8:54 PM

An actual vagina.

I have never actually recovered from the shock.

by Anonymousreply 91December 7, 2019 8:58 PM

I saw a poor soul throw himself in front of a London Tube train. I'll never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 92December 7, 2019 9:04 PM

[quote][R77] - sorry to be a nit but having lived between Hudson and Bleecker, they don’t intersect.

r81 They don't?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 7, 2019 9:07 PM

Act I of Starlight Express.

by Anonymousreply 94December 7, 2019 9:29 PM

R88 And... That is why ya always gotta speak up a little more even if you're unsure.

by Anonymousreply 95December 7, 2019 9:32 PM

[quote] bloody sheet in the far right traffic lane. Later that night the report was on the news. Somehow the seat belt had wrapped around the driver's neck in the accident and ripped her head off

Why would her head be outside of the car? Sounds more likely she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt, her head & shoulders went through the windshield then the head got ripped off on the body’s way back inside the windshield. Used to be a common injury. Airbags help prevent it.

I knew a girl in HS who was in a car crossing a highway. Car got t boned on drivers side. She was in passenger seat (in the backseat passenger seat, I think). No seatbelt, door was closed, but unlocked. The story was that “She saw the car coming and tried to get out before the car hit but she only got partway out and the car door hit her neck and took her head off.”

I think it’s more likely that when the car t boned the driver’s side, the passenger door briefly swung open and she started to get thrown out (no seatbelt) and the door closed again on her head before her body was completely thrown out. No one else in the car was badly hurt. I made sure to always lock the car door next to me after that, although in a accident who knows what might happen.

We have a highway that is on a high grade and there are some woods next to it. The woods slope down and there’s a road running parallel to the highway about 20 feet away and 10 ft down at the end of the slope. You can’t see the highway from the parallel road. Some idiots were riding along the highway one night at about 100mph, hit a bump and went flying into the woods. One guy got thrown out the windshield , took flight through the woods and landed right in front of a car driving along the access road. So here’s this lady driving home from Lowe’s without a care in the world and THWAP! this body appears out of nowhere in front of her car and she runs over it at 50 mph. Her car flies off the road and she was injured but lived. Every once in awhile I find myself on that road at night and I think ....oh shit ......those woods. The Haunted Woods of the Flinging Bodies.

by Anonymousreply 96December 7, 2019 9:37 PM

Be prepared. I’ve seen this more than once & it always horrifies me,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 7, 2019 9:41 PM

I had a friend DRAIN AND RINSE pasta in front of me last year!

I still haven't fully recovered.

by Anonymousreply 98December 7, 2019 9:47 PM

When I was in seventh grade, I was waiting with a classmate for his mom to pick us up from school when a girl a couple of grades below us died in a freak accident. She and the other kids who rode the bus home were standing near the curb; just as the bus pulled up, she lost her footing somehow and fell in the street, and the bus ran over her.

My classmate and I were hanging out on the playground, well away from the bus stop, when it happened, but we heard the commotion and saw the ambulance arrive.

by Anonymousreply 99December 7, 2019 9:47 PM

I've witnessed many patients dying or die. One infant actually died in my arms, when I had worked as RN at a pediatric cardiac unit; she was DNR but her parents were too fucked up to come so each of us nurses took turn holding her. We had a thing as nurses that no one should have to die alone so we'd use even our breaks sometimes to make sure that didn't happen. She happened to die in my arms, it was both peaceful and traumatic, difficult too because only weeks earlier she had been a smart, playful baby whom we all loved on the unit. She went for her surgical repair and the surgeons forced a clot into one of her arteries and she stroked out. When I was doing clinical hours as a nursing student, I was placed with preceptors at busy ED and adult ICU, those experiences was intense too. I'd seen and taken care of people dying from auto accidents, gunshot wounds, drug overdoses, suicides, etc... I've since gotten out of bedside nursing because it wore on me. Bedside nurses develop dark humor if only as form of therapy for all of the emotional and physical trauma we'd see regularly. Definitely respect bedside RNs who do it long-term. I went back to school now a DNP and I love helping psych clinic patients, some of whom have traumatic histories.

by Anonymousreply 100December 7, 2019 9:58 PM

Y’all need therapy. So do I after reading this shit. x

by Anonymousreply 101December 7, 2019 10:03 PM

Old bitch shitting

by Anonymousreply 102December 7, 2019 10:09 PM

Damn R100, that's so sad. I'm sorry.... Thanks for putting yourself out there like that.

by Anonymousreply 103December 7, 2019 10:09 PM

When I did my NP internship at an inner city hospital there was an accident. Two little boys decided to cross the street. This was in queens, where some of the streets are like highways. They were hit by a car. The older boy (9) was ok with only minor injuries. The 6 year old died. The administrators had a room in the ER where they put bodies. There was a heavy duty AC unit that coukd be used. They put the little boy in there. The older boy went in with the administrator and sat for a little while. He never said a word. Apparently he was watching the younger brother while the mother was at work.

Over the next 4 hours various relatives came in to see the boy and OMG it was really bad. The screaming that went on & didn’t stop. It was sad, but also seemed like the grandmothers & great grandmothers were trying to outdo each other. There was falling on the floor, there was sitting on the knees banging the floor, there was fainting of very large people. I felt so bad for the nursing administrator who dealt with the whole thing & for the older boy. It took a while to track down the parents. That poor boy felt so guilty. He never cried or said a word. But his face....

by Anonymousreply 104December 7, 2019 10:13 PM

Sadly the death of my father when I was 26. He was terminally ill with cancer and was sent home only a day before it happened. I'm surprised I don't think about it more often, though.

by Anonymousreply 105December 7, 2019 10:17 PM

Watched my father die over 2 days from liver cancer at 23. Extreme pain. But educational and has informed my life. So grateful when it ended - you appreciate death is peace. I don’t fear death - but also aware it could end any minute so don’t spend your life worrying about retirement because it may never happen.

I have so much respect for nurses. They are some of the most important and valuable people on earth.

by Anonymousreply 106December 7, 2019 11:20 PM

My stepmother told me to my face she planned to murder my father and exactly how she would do it. She wasn’t kidding. I found out later she had already made an unsuccessful attempt. My dad was too ashamed to tell anyone then.

I then had to go tell my dad what she had said. I thought he would refuse to believe me. He told me he already knew.

by Anonymousreply 107December 8, 2019 12:34 AM

Kidney stone surgery in which a rod was inserted up my hooha and left to dangle there to prevent swelling for several days. Picture a knife dangling from a tiny opening while you pee blood and you’ve got the idea.

by Anonymousreply 108December 8, 2019 12:37 AM

Been there, done something like that, R108.

Imagine focusing enough through the kidney-stone pain and the opiate haze just blessedly taken onboard in the ER to realize the really cute Indian-American resident you sat next to and subtly flirted with at a wedding on Long Island last fall is the same really cute Indian-American resident at the Beth Israel who's putting the tube up your hooha tonight. Then being fucked up enough with the pain meds to mention it to him.

by Anonymousreply 109December 8, 2019 2:08 AM

Head on collision between a truck and motorcycle outside my home (I live on a busy road). The poor boy on the motorcycle flew through the air like Superman and landed face-first on the road . He wasn’t wearing any protective clothing, just shorts and a t-shirt.

by Anonymousreply 110December 8, 2019 6:08 AM

I saw someone throw himself from the top floor of a building about ten stories tall once in downtown Saint Paul. The lower floors were a halfway house of sorts, and he climbed up to the top floor (which ha]d a balcony overlooking the street) to jump off. I closed my eyes for the impact, but I remember the sickening thud as he hit the sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 111December 8, 2019 6:23 AM

saw billy santoro in the daylight leaving a 7/11....SCAREY MO FO

by Anonymousreply 112December 8, 2019 10:13 AM

If I knew R9, I would find a way to rip his face off and then I would take a dump on him.

by Anonymousreply 113December 8, 2019 12:03 PM

I was volunteering in Africa and I was asked to assist on an ectopic pregnancy case. The poor woman was hemorrhaging badly and the hospital lacked blood as well as proper anesthesia. They were using ether! Just like the Civil War. The patient was responding to pain, very unnerving. The nurse was collecting blood and attempting to reinfuse the clotted blood into the patient. It was very hot in the OR and there were flies buzzing around. The patient died and I just about passed out.

by Anonymousreply 114December 8, 2019 12:08 PM

Too bad it wasn't you, OP. No one've cared.

by Anonymousreply 115December 8, 2019 12:14 PM

R93. 77 here. Thanks for the photo and map. We were standing next to the traffic light on S/E corner If you turn photo, where three women are standing. Note car coming around the curve.

by Anonymousreply 116December 8, 2019 1:58 PM

That is awful r114.

by Anonymousreply 117December 8, 2019 3:24 PM

I saw a pedestrian hit and killed by a car right in front of me in Los Angeles. The pedestrian was crossing the street in a blind spot and got nailed. I think he died instantly, so at least he didn’t suffer too much.

by Anonymousreply 118December 8, 2019 4:52 PM

R89/r95 No, not at NYU. This was in Sydney. I hit send without finishing the story because my phone was going flat, but after the girl started walking up a security guard saw us. I told him What was going on, and he told me to go back downstairs, pull aside my supervisor, the most senior staff member there and the one guy around at that hour who was trained in first aid and send them to him. Then to go about closing up as usual. At this library, when we closed at 10, it didn’t mean we stopped lending at 10. It meant that borrowing at the desks closed at 9:30, the self check machines were turned off at 9:45, the lights dimmed at 9:50, elevators locked at 9:55 and we locked the front door at 10:01 and handed the keys to security. Otherwise the students would never leave.

So while the shutdown was taking place a group of us had to wait quietly in a back office until everyone left. If we didn’t “hide” and we were seen students would start arguing that the library wasn’t really closed and it would take even longer to get them out.

So we went up. I was told to wait down the corridor as she tried to open a window in the top floor to get to a locked balcony. She was very calm and sweet and plain spoken and didn’t start freaking out until the first aid officer physically blocked her. Because it was a glassed in room security had to basically sit on her until the cops arrived. And then we had to wait for an ambulance.

Long story short, an ambulance was called, the girl was carted off and my boss drove me to McDonalds where we sat until 1:00am filling out incident reports. TBH it made me depressed for a few months. All of use present were forced by management to report to a counsellor who connected me with a great psychologist, so that was one good thing.

by Anonymousreply 119December 8, 2019 5:39 PM

R88/R119 - Did you ever hear anything else about her?

by Anonymousreply 120December 8, 2019 6:14 PM

No. I brought up her library file a year later and she was longer enrolled as a student. From her lending history, she rather unsurprisingly seemed to be a psychology student.

by Anonymousreply 121December 8, 2019 6:24 PM

On busy 34th Street, I heard the usual annoying vroom VROOM VRRROOOOOMMM of a motorcycle. Looked up the street & saw the cyclist stand up up on the bike but the bike was wobbling & it fell to pieces unbeaten him at about 35 mph. He went sliding across the street and his head banging into the wheel of a bus that had just closed its doors and was about to leave the curb. People on the street started running to the bus, waving their arms & screaming “No! Don’t go! Don’t go!” at people on the bus.. The people on the bus got up and started yelling “Somethings wrong!” Other people ran directly in front of the bus driver’s side of the window “Don’t move!”

Luckily this was before 9/11 or WTC 1993, or there might have been panicked hysteria.

I crossed the street (waving my arms at cars & the bus driver) and the biker guy’s eyes were doing what we used to call “scanning” - just repetitively moving back & forth, unfocused. I guess they call it some kind of involuntary nystagmus nowadays, but in layman’s terms it can be described as “mind blown - permanent.”

A guy in a suit came over and said “I’m a dr at Bellevue” and I said, “Good luck” and left. I didn’t tell him I was a nurse. There was nothing I could do.

Also, back in those days, bus drivers would refuse to allow passengers off the bus until EMS came and removed tge patient. Don't know if that changed. It was a hot summer day. Those passengers were in for a wait.

Another time I was walking on down the stairs at Penn Station - it was a big stairway, at least 50 people could stretch across it and go down each step at the same time. To my right I detected an odd movement. A man in a suit with a briefcase was walking down the stairs about 10 ft away from me and he seemed to wobble in midstride. I looked over and it seemed like it happened in slow motion. All the muscles of his face just lost their contours and it looked like his face just became a blob. His muscles in his arms and legs also just lost shape and shivered and he went tumbling down the cement stairs head first. It was awful. I got down the stairs and people started going over to him and moving him. “Are you ok?” One person grabbed the guy’s head in his hands and moved his neck back and forth gently smacking his face like they do in 1940s movies when they’re trying to revive a drunk cowboy.

I yelled “DON’T MOVE HIS NECK!” And the guy just lets go of the other man’s head, so the neck really bent forward & his head went plop on his chest. “Oh you idiot!” Someone brought a cop over. “He fell and now he’s unconscious” someone said. “Officer....no, that’s not what happened,” I said. “He was walking down the stairs, then he went unconscious, then he fell down the stairs, sir. He’s either had a stroke or a heart attack. He was fine, then stroked out and fell. He wasn’t drunk or anything.”

I was about to say “Someone asshole just moved his neck, back & forth” when the cop grabs the guy’s head, pushes it back off his chest, moves the neck back & forth, starts shaking the guys head & says “Hey buddy, you ok?”

I just left.

by Anonymousreply 122December 8, 2019 6:31 PM

I really felt bad for the husband of a nurse I worked with. One night he was walking home from work late (bartendingj and he sees this flash in front of him, his face gets wet and he hears a sound that made him think “Some asshole threw a watermelon out his window.” It wasn’t a watermelon. Some guy had thrown himself off the top of the building & the watermelon he heard was the guy’s head hitting the pavement. My coworker said her husband was really traumatized. Remember, he was a bartender, so he always heard people telling him their sad, depressing stories.

Two days later he walks out their apartment house door and a bus goes by. A kid on a skateboard grabs onto the back of the bus and before poor Freddy could look away the bus lurches and the kid went right under the back wheel. Once again, poor Freddy hears the watermelon sound.

“All my life I live in NY and nothing like this ever happened. Now in 2 days I see 2 people die in front of me!”

The poor guy didn’t want to leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 123December 8, 2019 6:46 PM

R122 not one word of your little cuntish screed is true. When everyone acts all dramatic and screaming and crying and hysterically throwing themselves into traffic, you know it is all lies.

by Anonymousreply 124December 9, 2019 6:44 AM

R123 Sure, Jan. Your stories are as flat and lifeless as your ass.

by Anonymousreply 125December 9, 2019 6:54 AM

Too bad they didn't finish the job R62, then DL wouldn't be subject to the poison that spews out of that anus you call your beating heart.

by Anonymousreply 126December 10, 2019 11:46 PM

R69 Sure, Jan. Yours is the worst story yet. As if.

by Anonymousreply 127December 10, 2019 11:54 PM

I was eight years old, living in Yemen in the early 1960s (my father was a diplomat). There was very strict Sharia law, which meant cutting off the hands of thieves, cutting off the feet for something (running away?), cutting off tongues (don't know what that was punishment for), and beheading. Some of the criminals would be released after their punishment, but they'd be shackled so they were wandering around with leg shackles and their missing foot or hand or tongue. The ones who were incarcerated were jammed into small basement rooms, and if you walked past the building you could see them reaching out through the bars, imploring. I also saw many faces that were severely pockmarked from smallpox, and there were lepers in one corner of the city where there was a leprosy building where they lived.

When there was a beheading, the head was placed on a spike on the market wall, just like Ned Stark in Game of Thrones, and vultures and hawks would eat off the flesh of the head. I walked by an open square where there had just been a beheading, and saw the pool of blood on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 128December 11, 2019 12:22 AM

Quit bragging about your awesome life in Yemen. If only we had those laws in America. It'd make life a lot less serious. A beheading is the funnest thing you can see.

by Anonymousreply 129December 11, 2019 12:26 AM

Donald Trump’s inauguration

by Anonymousreply 130December 11, 2019 1:13 AM

My grandfather accidentally set himself on fire and when we got there he had third-degree burns covering his entire back. His flesh was actually smoking. Thankfully the nerves in his back were mostly dead, so he didn't feel it. He was drinking a cup of coffee while smoke was rising off his back. The smell! God. Nothing worse.

by Anonymousreply 131December 11, 2019 1:23 AM

R131 that is hilarious. Smokin' in the boys room.

by Anonymousreply 132December 11, 2019 11:18 PM

that scag billy santoro at the baths, in the sling taking nonstop loads, so out of his mind, his face was a blurr of poppers.

fukin scarey my dears...

by Anonymousreply 133December 14, 2019 7:53 PM

r131, how did he set himself on fire?

by Anonymousreply 134December 14, 2019 11:52 PM

The Bellagio Horror Thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135December 15, 2019 12:18 AM

This thread is hard to read. I had to stop after a while.

by Anonymousreply 136December 15, 2019 12:43 AM

I was shot multiple times, but it didn't phase me, at least not mentally, so maybe it doesn't really qualify.

by Anonymousreply 137December 15, 2019 3:35 AM

I am lucky compared to some of you. There are three moments that I think of frequently.

1. Walking to school, taking shortcut on railroad track. Saw a dog sliced in half.

2. In college, party on campus. Watched a drunk guy fall face first into a bonfire. Died on the way to the hospital.

3. Very young but remember every detail. Saw Oswald get shot by Ruby on tv. Can remember the rug I was sitting on, what I was wearing, Mom behind me talk on the phone and she dropped it when it happened. Had nightmares for years and still think about it every single day.

by Anonymousreply 138December 15, 2019 6:11 AM

The theatrical screening of "The Mirror Has Two Faces".

by Anonymousreply 139December 15, 2019 6:23 AM

I was a prosecutor. I had to have the officer identify a sawed off shotgun in court. When my hand touched the gun I felt an otherworldly evil vibration radiating out from the gun. Never could un-feel the feeling

by Anonymousreply 140December 15, 2019 6:30 AM

I've had a few traumatic events that required treatment for a diagnosed PTSD, involving a couple mentally unbalanced family members. A therapist referred to them as 'terrorists.'

Pop apparently thought his kids would turn out extra tough if he subjected us to sufficient trauma, and he was a medical professional. So he purposely diverted us during a family vacation into the aftermath of a major earthquake, and me alone with him into the gruesome scene of a plane crash with several fatalities. He stopped and checked out serious and fatal traffic accidents. Notably, he would offer no aid, he was just being an asshole and ambulance chaser.

by Anonymousreply 141December 15, 2019 6:47 AM

I went with a bereaved mother whose 19 yo son had been killed in a traffic accident to view his body.

The accident must have been quite bad, because the undertakers hadn’t succeeded in making him look at all lifelike - a very waxy, mannequin look.

His mother ran her hands over his shirt sobbing “Where is he real?! Where is he real?”

The rawest grief I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 142December 15, 2019 7:22 AM

Watching Showgirls on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 143December 15, 2019 7:37 AM

Seeing my cat dead on the side of the road. He was my baby.

by Anonymousreply 144December 15, 2019 9:11 AM

R142, my mother knew a woman whose son was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was about 21, I believe. The mother was grief stricken and didn’t have many friends, so we went to the funeral to support her, although we didn’t know her son. I was about fifteen. That was the first dead body I ever saw.

I had the same impression. The body was very waxen looking. He did not look remotely human, like a mannequin. I’ve seen other dead bodies since, they do look dead but also human.

I wonder if what we saw was a person whose face was badly damaged, and parts had been filled in with wax or some similar material? He looked like a wax doll. Very eerie. I felt so sorry for the mother, it must have been a terrible shock to see someone she knew and loved in life, looking so unreal.

by Anonymousreply 145December 15, 2019 1:09 PM

Well, my nightmares are gonna be spicy this week, guys & gals!

by Anonymousreply 146December 18, 2019 7:56 PM

by Anonymousreply 147December 18, 2019 7:56 PM

by Anonymousreply 148December 18, 2019 7:56 PM

Trump being sworn in.

by Anonymousreply 149December 18, 2019 8:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!