Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET to Reader's Digest?

It used to be everywhere, including in my grandpa's bookcase!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 4:22 AM

Crafting with readers digest books. My secret's out!!! :. you can't give those away....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 12, 2019 10:04 PM

I'm a subscriber. There's often some interesting stuff to read while on the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 2November 12, 2019 10:11 PM

Endless, pointless lists killed it.

by Anonymousreply 3November 12, 2019 10:19 PM

I still see them in medical office waiting rooms, usually they are the only thing not months out of date.

by Anonymousreply 4November 12, 2019 10:19 PM

Deceased?

by Anonymousreply 5November 12, 2019 10:26 PM

[quote] Endless, pointless lists killed it.

What are these lists?

by Anonymousreply 6November 12, 2019 10:27 PM

They all got turned into holiday decor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 12, 2019 10:30 PM

articles ask too much for readers in the year 2019

by Anonymousreply 8November 12, 2019 10:33 PM

I agree, R8, it has become far too intellectual. Always was a bit highbrow, truth be told.

by Anonymousreply 9November 12, 2019 10:41 PM

I never read the articles just the fun jokes, and reader submissions.

by Anonymousreply 10November 12, 2019 11:01 PM

It always was for old folks. I’m surprised it’s still around.

by Anonymousreply 11November 12, 2019 11:05 PM

I read it when I was little. I always thought it was lowbrow, actually, how they condensed books.

by Anonymousreply 12November 12, 2019 11:06 PM

My brother gives a subscription of the large print edition to my mother every Christmas. I believe the step after large print is no print.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2019 11:09 PM

[quote] I never read the articles just the fun jokes, and reader submissions.

R10 is Francis Barrone of Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2019 11:16 PM

I grew up reading and viewing Reader's Digest.

In my preteen years, I was obsessed with all things automobile related, so I would routinely go through my mother's monthly RD subscription (and my father's car magazines as well, to a lesser extent) and tear out the car adverts, and add them to my collection of car advertising and marketing brochures which I kept in one of the drawers in my bedroom bureau. Finally, my mother had had enough and yelled at me to stop tearing out the RD auto ads because their backside contained sections of articles she was reading.

Later, in my mid-and late teens, I really enjoyed reading their repeating series such as "I am Joe's Kidneys" or the sidebars such as "Life in These United States". In my twenties, though, I realized that RD was a very conservative publication, and when I looked back through my mother's old issues (my father was a hoarder and kept every magazine ever mailed to him and my mother in boxes in the basement), I noticed that so many of their articles were, in essence, right-wing propaganda, so I lost interest after that. One of my sisters will buy RD issues every now and then, and when I read the articles, they are much more shallow and simplistic compared to those much earlier issues.

by Anonymousreply 15November 13, 2019 12:15 AM

[quote] they are much more shallow and simplistic compared to those much earlier issues.

Demand-led, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 16November 13, 2019 12:19 AM

This thread was even more fun, OP, when we did it FIVE MONTHS AGO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 13, 2019 12:21 AM

R17 Most people like you died within the last five months. So we renew. You are a survivor, bravo; we weren't expecting to see you.

by Anonymousreply 18November 13, 2019 12:24 AM

From the homepage:

50 Bad Jokes That You Can't Help but Laugh At

15 Tiny Details You Missed the First (and Second) Time You Read Harry Potter

100 Fun and Interesting Facts About Practically Everything

27 Inspiring New Year's Resolution Ideas You'll Want to Keep

8 Types of Headaches--and How to Get Rid of Them

11 Halitosis Remedies to Help You Get Rid of Bad Breath

6 Sneaky Reasons Behind Your Body Odor

...this is lazy for a magazine. So low-brow.

by Anonymousreply 19November 13, 2019 2:24 AM

Such hardcore bitches you are. I loved them . My parents had a subscription most of my life.Mom did until about 5 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 20November 13, 2019 3:55 AM

I’ve tried twice to subscribe and each time I got about 3 or 4 issues then they stopped coming and it wasn’t until later I realized I hadn’t been getting them. I guess it sounded more interesting than it really was to actually read the articles.

by Anonymousreply 21November 13, 2019 4:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!