Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Reader's Digest

So many of a certain age will remember it.....it was everywhere and now it's almost nowhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2019 12:10 AM

I always liked the Humor in Uniform and other sections. I never read much of the rest.

It was something mainly purchased by the older generation (I mean, much older) and as they fade away, so shall the Digest.

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2019 1:42 PM

I couldn't poop without it for years.

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2019 1:43 PM

I remember we made Christmas trees out of them at school. You folded all the pages into a tree shape and then spray painted them. So pretty!

My grandmother had a stack of them next to her bed and I read all the humor columns. There was nothing else to read.

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2019 1:51 PM

I have to admit that I kind of like RD these days. Maybe it's because I'm now in their target demographic, but there are usually several stories I enjoy in any given issue.

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2019 3:01 PM

My older boyfriend gets this shit in the mail every month. I didn't know it was a old thing.

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2019 3:16 PM

My grandmother was a devotee. She also bought the Reader's Digest Condensed Books.'

I never understood the point of them, but she read every one.

My favorite part was "Ways to Enrich Your Word Power." I would quiz her on all of them while she cooked dinner.

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2019 3:38 PM

r6 I like the word quiz every month, too. First thing I read. I usually get almost all of them, but they stump me once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 7June 26, 2019 3:40 PM

[quote] My older boyfriend gets this shit in the mail every month. I didn't know it was a old thing.

Have you told him he's an old bitch?

by Anonymousreply 8June 26, 2019 3:41 PM

Reader's Digest used to be headquartered in my hometown. Every year the fire department would have fire trucks drive around neighborhoods with Santa Claus giving out free Readers Digest Condensed Books.

by Anonymousreply 9June 26, 2019 3:47 PM

I still buy it here and there. I go to the park and and read it while looking at the lagoon and ducks.

by Anonymousreply 10June 26, 2019 3:59 PM

Did not know this was still a thing, and I am 60. My grandparents got it, but never my parents. And "condensed books" are an abomination. As I recall, the founders were total right-wingers, too.

by Anonymousreply 11June 26, 2019 4:02 PM

I recall Reader's Digest would always advertise as the most renewed magazine in America. The reason was that you just couldn't cancel it.

Once I found out it had right wingers on its Board, I tried hard to cancel my parents' subscription. It still kept coming. I finally wrote a letter that, if they kept sending it, it would be free of charge because they will never get another check from us. It still kept coming

by Anonymousreply 12June 26, 2019 4:06 PM

I remember the joke sections--As a kid, I would send in funny stories hoping RD would print them, but they never would

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2019 4:07 PM

[quote] Reader's Digest used to be headquartered in my hometown

Chappaqua, NY, right? RD used to be in Chappaqua and then moved to, I believe, the town next door, Pleasantville amid a bunch of tax issues. RD gave its land and buildings to the town of Chappaqua. The town is developing it with housing and an outdoor shopping mall.

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2019 4:10 PM

Believe it or not, Readers Digest still exists. My parents still get mail asking them to subscribe. Readers Digest must buy the AARP mailing lists.

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2019 4:11 PM

All those mother-in-law jokes! And "That's Outrageous" which often had LBGT things to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2019 4:11 PM

There was always one story about an animal saving someone.

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2019 4:11 PM

"Drama in Real Life."

Yet none of those were about Claire's baked potato or "Once Around the Garden."

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2019 4:17 PM

55 yr-old here. my 86 yr-old dad signed me up for it apparently as a free gift he received. I enjoy it for nostalgic reasons as I used to read it off and on years ago. Used to like all the joke pages, drama in real life, and the human anatomy series ("I Am Joe's Heart").

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2019 4:27 PM

Reader's Digest reminds me of my dentist's office. It was one of many magazines available in the waiting room when I was a kid. Speaking of which, my dentist now has ZERO magazines in the waiting room. I know I'm old, but I like to flip through magazines when I can to avoid even more screen time.

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2019 4:31 PM

Waiting rooms only have a few magazines for the old people. Everybody else is on their phones.

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2019 4:33 PM

Quotable Quotes and Life In These United States were always a hoot !!

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2019 4:38 PM

I subscribe (39 years old). Its perfect for slipping in my pocket for something to read at the coffee shop or while doing laundry. Funny stories and informative articles. I'm also an illustrator and they still use a lot spot art which I appreciate. Consciously trying not to stare at my phone all the time.

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2019 4:44 PM

r15 Of course it still exists. And they publish a bunch of other magazines, including a nostalgia-themed one called REMINISCE. And I'm sure some of you subscribe to BIRDS AND BLOOMS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2019 4:55 PM

Yeah, I never realized until a few years ago how really square it is, and how borderline racist and homophobic it is, too. It is for people who think ketchup is too spicy.

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2019 5:22 PM

[quote]My grandmother had a stack of them next to her bed and I read all the humor columns. There was nothing else to read.

How much time did you spend in bed with your grandmother?

Can you show me on the dollie where you touched your grandmother?

by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2019 5:28 PM

HOw long can RD possibly survive?

by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2019 6:05 PM

R20 & R21 — Until you mentioned it I hadn't realized that there are now no longer magazines in doctors' waiting rooms. I just got back from having my teeth cleaned, and actually noticed that everyone (myself included) was fiddling with their phones. On further recollection, I realize there wasn't a magazine in sight.

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2019 6:22 PM

[quote] How much time did you spend in bed with your grandmother?

[quote] Can you show me on the dollie where you touched your grandmother?

Fuck your dollie, I can tell you my grandmother touched me all over. She was a very sensual woman.

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2019 6:52 PM

My grandparents loved these and I used to read them when I was little and ran out of library books. Some of their stories were really interesting!

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2019 6:56 PM

When you were little, stupid RD stories were interesting of course

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2019 8:48 PM

When I was a kid, we would read the titles adding "under the sheets." Read list and try it, you'll get a few laughs.

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2019 9:55 PM

I'm 30 and have been subscribed for years. My surrogate mother introduced it to me when I was a kid. I also used to be subscribed to Reminisce and Reminisce extra. I used to have several of their coffee table books. The Best of Reminisce was my favorite one in the series, but it's long out of print. I also had several Taste of Home cookbooks that I never got around to using which I gave to my aunt and one of my great-aunts.

by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2019 10:34 PM

I substituted it for a book on longer train or bus rides. The stories/articles were a perfect length. I've yet to attempt the Christmas tree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2019 11:21 PM

I seem to remember it was fiercely anti-Communist. I came across a school report about the Soviet Union and I had clearly sourced the RD only.

by Anonymousreply 35June 26, 2019 11:26 PM

An aunt gave me a subscription. It was ridiculous. It' still popular overseas.

by Anonymousreply 36June 26, 2019 11:31 PM

It seems like all magazines are getting smaller and smaller with less content. I've noticed Reader's Digest isn't as thick as it was years ago when my grandparents subscribed. I also recently got a subscription to Vanity Fair, and I noticed the same thing. Magazines are getting cheaper and thinner in quality. I guess because they have so little profit and are barely surviving.

by Anonymousreply 37June 26, 2019 11:38 PM

I was a voracious reader as a kid, and I read every issue of my parents' subscription. I still the remember some of the Drama in Real Life stories vividly. There was the guy who survived losing both legs to a wood chipper, the girl who survived in the jungle after a plane crash and maggots infested her wounds, and the pianist who protected her hands during a car crash but ended up with tremendous head injuries and cerebrospinal fluid leaking out of skull that she confused with post nasal drip. These stories were riveting! I'm glad I was too young to be aware of any political slant to the content.

by Anonymousreply 38June 27, 2019 12:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!