Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Shit Has Hit the Fan Part 2

In which our heroine, Kellyanne Conway, finally draws a blank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601September 30, 2019 3:56 PM

Sen. Susan Collins says Trump’s comments are “a gross mischaracterization of whistleblowers. Whistleblowers have been essential in bringing to the public's attention wrongdoing, fraud, waste, abuse, law breaking, and I very much disagree with the President's characterization.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 27, 2019 2:55 AM

That Susie... she knows how to shake things up.

by Anonymousreply 2September 27, 2019 2:57 AM

**Latest Impeachment polling**:

YouGov/(9/24-26):

Support 47% (+8)

Oppose 39%

Marist/NPR/ (9/25):

Support 49% (+3)

Oppose 46%

Harris_X_/ScottRasmussen:

Support 44% (+3)

Oppose 41%

Morning Consult (9/24-26):

Support 43%

Oppose 43%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 27, 2019 2:59 AM

Rudy was just on Fox reading his personal text messages to and from people to prove how in the middle of this entire mess Pompeo and the State Department are. Then he blamed George Soros for the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 4September 27, 2019 3:14 AM

If Nancy et al explain things properly, he’ll be convicted. But a lot depends on that, and how crazy he starts to act while under stress.

They’ll need to keep him from blowing up the world while on trial, or starting war with Iran, or anybody.

Trump could be long gone by 1/1/20.

by Anonymousreply 5September 27, 2019 3:15 AM

Link to previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 27, 2019 3:17 AM

”The complaint also alleges a pattern of obfuscation at the White House, in which officials moved the records of some of Trump’s communications with foreign officials onto a separate computer network from where they are normally stored...”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 27, 2019 3:19 AM

"Total panic" at the White House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 27, 2019 3:21 AM

What could be the charges?

Campaign finance violations

Bribery

Extortion

Obstruction of Congress

Obstruction of Justice

Abuse of power

What else?

by Anonymousreply 9September 27, 2019 3:21 AM

From investigative journalist Murray Waas:

Trump, Giuliani, and Manafort: The Ukraine Scheme

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 27, 2019 3:22 AM

Hot Daddy Sheldon Whitehouse was on TV tonight. With Lawrence O The House has to do a lot of homework now to build a solid case. He believes the Republicans in the Senate will come around if the House gives them a solid case.It has to be "meticulously prepared."

IMO, I think that's too optimistic. Because nothing will ever be good enough for McConnell. Too many Republicans in Congress and outside of Congress are tied to Russian money. They Republican Party is filthy. They could all go down under the RICO statute for racketeering.

by Anonymousreply 11September 27, 2019 3:32 AM

From R8's link:

[quote]Another person familiar with the discussions described the mood inside the White House as “shell-shocked,” with increasing wariness that, as this impeachment inquiry drags out, the likelihood increases that the president could respond erratically and become “unmanageable.”

Tee hee!

by Anonymousreply 12September 27, 2019 3:34 AM

Trump? Responding erratically? Becoming unmanageable? Gee, what are the odds?

by Anonymousreply 13September 27, 2019 4:09 AM

Justice Department knew about whistleblower complaint involving Trump more than a week before referral

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 27, 2019 6:52 AM

Good front page for tomorrow's New York Daily News:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 27, 2019 7:01 AM

Continuing from the other thread on the Fox angle... The Vanity Fair story says there is internal division at Fox, not that Fox is abandoning Trump in this minute. What people see on Fox is rabid support from the OPINION division. The NEWS division is more critical of Trump and the two divisions are fighting as evidenced by the conflict between Tucker Carlson and Shepard Smith.

by Anonymousreply 16September 27, 2019 9:53 AM

Legit news people sold their souls by going on fox (I'm looking at you Chris Wallace) .You can't was that taint off even if you are in the "news" division. Opinion side butters the bread and they will always have the upper hand at fox.

by Anonymousreply 17September 27, 2019 10:44 AM

We're over 40% approval for impeachment already Trumpy's approval is somehow still around 45%.

That means the country is almost evenly split between cultists and those who want him out of office. Crazy times.

by Anonymousreply 18September 27, 2019 11:39 AM

Who will be the first White House official to crack? They can’t all want to go down with this ship.

by Anonymousreply 19September 27, 2019 11:43 AM

Were there any republican senators on Fox news defending Trump? Besides Graham of course. What was the narrative?

by Anonymousreply 20September 27, 2019 11:44 AM

What does Rob Portman say about it? He seems half sane. We need a few R's in the Senate to start some sort of moral introspection. I think Romney, Murkowski, Portman, and dare I saw even DL non-fave Collins?

I have to believe that some people who watch Fox and see Ghouliani melt down weekly have got to wonder if he is all there? I mean he looks and acts totally insane.

by Anonymousreply 21September 27, 2019 11:59 AM

OP's poll is bullshit. There should be a category that says he won't be impeached but he won't win in 2020. THAT is what I see. He will e permanently damaged--especially if the CIA whistleblower testifies, and they subpoena the stuff on the secret server. It's only going to escalate regardless.

by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2019 12:03 PM

And by the way--when he alludes to execution for whistleblowers--that's another charge they can add to the House's impeachment proceedings. That's intimidation of witnesses among other things and is also illegal. Every time this fool opens his mouth he adds to the charges.

by Anonymousreply 23September 27, 2019 12:06 PM

R21, I am in the shithole known as Ohio and I can assure you that Rob Portman is anything but half sane. He is almost worse than Pence; a right-wing zealot who wants women to stay pregnant while giving their newborn babies guns upon their exit from the birth canal.

by Anonymousreply 24September 27, 2019 12:07 PM

[Quote] ....sound horrible, an me sound guilty. HE WAS DESPERATE AND HE GOT CAUGHT. Adam Schiff therefore lied to Congress and attempted to defraud the American Public. I am calling for him to immediately resign from Congress based on this fraud!

The liar in chief is concerned about someone lying to the American public and wants him to resign. Haha.

by Anonymousreply 25September 27, 2019 12:10 PM

Lots of foolish people on this thread. The ONLY thing Mitch McConnell cares about is his own personal hold on power. The very moment he calculates that Trump will cause the GOP to lose the Senate, and therefore Mitch McConnell to lose his personal hold on power, then Moscow Mitch will be on the phone helping Nancy Pelosi write the articles of impeachment against Pee Brain.

His majority in the Senate is small. The Democrats, though in the minority, still hold almost as many seats as the Republicans. With an election coming that will decide Moscow Mitch's fate in two different ways (the GOP share of the Senate and Mitch, himself, is up for re-election in KY,) he could easily decide Trump is more bother than he's worth and decide to flush the S.O.B. down the toilet.

Fasten your seat belts, gurrls. It's going to be a bumpy year.

by Anonymousreply 26September 27, 2019 12:21 PM

[quote]giving their newborn babies guns upon their exit from the birth canal.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 27September 27, 2019 12:23 PM

Rob Portman has no guts. He never expresses an opinion until he has heard from his masters. He's representative of the southern portion of the state, where guns and God reign supreme. It' s like two different states - the redneck south, represented by Portman, and the liberal north, headed by Sherrod Brown.

by Anonymousreply 28September 27, 2019 12:50 PM

On the plus side: there's a feeling that for many swing voters, The Trump Show, starring Donald Trump as President Trump, has gone on for too long, that the ratings are sinking and that it's just not entertaining any more.

The impeachment drama is just going to reinforce that notion.

by Anonymousreply 29September 27, 2019 1:41 PM

Also, this would be a good time to read Rolling Stone's story on McTurtle.

TL;DR-- he's been a friendless loser since high school whose only goal has been to gain power and be Senate Majority Leader and has no morals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 27, 2019 1:42 PM

Scarborough this morning said that anyone in the White House who moved Trump's dirt to the secret server broke the law and needs to get a lawyer. The rats will be jumping ship real fast.

by Anonymousreply 31September 27, 2019 1:56 PM

I still hope for a Nixon situation and when there is more and more pressure from his own team he will hopefully resign.

by Anonymousreply 32September 27, 2019 1:58 PM

Twitter thread that gives a little more context to what Rudy was doing and how that influenced then Prosecutor General Yuriy Lutsenko.

The whistleblower's report helps us understand Ukrainian Prosecutor General Yuriy Lutsenko's strange lies. 1. "Giuliani had met on at least two occasions with Mr. Lutsenko: once in New York in late January and again in Warsaw in mid-February."

2. "Beginning in late March 2019, a series of articles appeared in an online publication called The Hill. ...Prosecutor General Yuriy Lutsenko — made a series of allegations against other Ukrainian officials and current and former U.S. officials."

3. The point is that Lutsenko's strange lies about VP Biden & US Ambassador Yovanovitch were PLANTED by Giuliani. Lutsenko tried to leverage his relationship with Giuliani (=Trump) in order to stay on as prosecutor general under @ZelenskyyUa.

4. "On 11 May, Mr. Lutsenko met for two hours with President-elect Zelenskyy..." The talk of town in Kyiv was that Lutsenko was trying to stay on & this was seriously considered. @ZelenskyyUa did sack Lutsenko, but the Rada refused to accept it.

5. "Mr. Lutsenko later told Ukrainian news outlet The Babel on 17 April that Ambassador Yovanovitch had never provided such a list, and that he was, in fact, the one who requested such a list."

6. "Mr. Lutsenko later told Bloomberg on 16 May that former Vice President Biden and his son were not subject to any current Ukrainian investigations, and that he had no evidence against them."

7. Although Lutsenko withdrew all his lies that Giuliani seemingly had inspired, he could not save himself. On August 29, the newly-elected Rada sacked Lutsenko, who was generally considered corrupt, at its first session.

8. The essence of the Giuliani-Lutsenko story is that Giuliani persuaded a corrupt prosecutor general in Ukraine to lie about prominent US citizens to the political benefit of Trump & his own pecuniary benefit. Does the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) apply?

9. Obviously, Giuliani operated at the instruction of Trump. What crimes did they commit?

10. Questions remain: Did Giuliani try to force Lutsenko on Zelenskyy to safeguard corruption in Ukraine Did Giuliani & Trump work for Putin against Ukraine, Europe & the US? (=treason) Who paid Giuliani for this, how much & has he declared it to the IRS?

11. The strange articles in The Hill appear that were publicized by Sean Hannity on Foxnews & Donald Trump Jr in a tweet appear in a new light. They were all involved in the Giuliani disinformation conspiracy about Biden & Yovanovitch. This should be a crime.

12. The big lessons @ZelenskyyUa needs to draw from his unfortunate encounters with Trump are that Trump always lies & stands on Putin's side against Ukraine, Europe & the US. Zelenskyy has little choice but to act with all US forces BUT Trump with a maximum of transparency.

13. The ultimate verdict is that the Giuliani conspiracy in Ukraine is not only criminal but also more sophisticated than one could have expected. Presumably the Trump gang operates in a similar fashion in other favorite parts of the world, such as Israel & Saudi Arabia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 27, 2019 2:18 PM

[quote]There should be a category that says he won't be impeached but he won't win in 2020.

At this point, I'm pretty convinced that he will be impeached, as there are clearly enough votes in the House, even as more incriminating details emerge. I also think that there is little doubt that he will not be convicted in the Senate. That outcome is the first choice in the poll.

by Anonymousreply 34September 27, 2019 2:20 PM

Dump will never resign because he is most protected and shielded as president than as a "private citizen," where he will be subject to all kinds of lawsuits and investigations by New York State, etc.

Another possible upshot in all this: they can go after Guiliani as Dump's personal lawyer in all this. And these charges are far more serious for Rudy than they were for Dump's other personal lawyer, Cohen. Now, seeing Guiliani go to jail because of Dump--doesn't THAT put a smile on your face?

And Barr--could he go the way of Agnew?

Happy Friday!

by Anonymousreply 35September 27, 2019 2:25 PM

And now a Repug Rep. from Kentucky is calling for investigation of the secret WH server.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 27, 2019 2:30 PM

Clobber me but FoxNews is doing the best job so far of reporting all of this. The conflict within the organization is palpable and it makes for a much more interesting presentation.

by Anonymousreply 37September 27, 2019 2:31 PM

Surprised to find you on Datalounge, Sean Hannity at R37.

by Anonymousreply 38September 27, 2019 2:33 PM

Look, we all know, if it gets to the impeachment level based on the evidence given to the Senate by the House, the Senate will either agree to an impeachment trial (defending on how this escalates, and depending on a continued shift toward impeachment in the country) or the Senate GOP (read McConnell) will simply dismiss al charges.

Since there was no choice by Democrats here because Dump was destined, as Pelosi said, to "impeach himself," and since the whistleblower comes from the CIA, since this will just keep escalating--the damage will keep building. Regardless of GOP obstruction, this will be on a course of its own and destroy him in 2020.

That, as I see it, is the best case scenario. And it's better than nothing. Can you imagine if this never saw the light of day? But it did. Because the CIA (no saints, but still) is fucking sick of him and his selling out to Russia. The war is declared, all right--on Dump.

by Anonymousreply 39September 27, 2019 2:35 PM

Oh do fuck off, r37. That's not even remotely credible statement.

by Anonymousreply 40September 27, 2019 2:36 PM

NBC News on what insiders fear :

Another person familiar with the discussions described the mood inside the White House as “shell-shocked,” with increasing wariness that, as this impeachment inquiry drags out, the likelihood increases that the president could respond erratically and become “unmanageable.”

That concern was echoed by another source, who said that some around the president anticipate he will engage in more “impulsive” behavior, with pressure expected to build on him daily during the impeachment inquiry.

That’s sparking worries that Trump could display increasingly unpredictable behavior and lash out in unexpected ways — both a presidential and a political concern in an election year.

by Anonymousreply 41September 27, 2019 2:39 PM

R38 I knew someone would be stupid enough to say something as you did. Hannity is fun to see sweating bullets over this and scrambling for explainations. Other segments show both sides on the subject and that's also something to see.

by Anonymousreply 42September 27, 2019 2:39 PM

AWWWW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 27, 2019 2:41 PM

Again, regardless of whether or not Trump gets impeached, voters are going to just get even more sick of the constant drama and want him gone in 2020, even if that means electing Elizabeth Warren.

If she's smart she'll pick That Nice Beto O'Rourke Boy as her VP since he's the only person running who has that charisma/empathy thing going and he'll make older swing voters feel comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 44September 27, 2019 2:41 PM

Reaction to Trump impeachment.from our favorite princess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 27, 2019 2:49 PM

Jesus, God. She looks like Jabba the Hut and I Dream of Jeannie had a baby.

by Anonymousreply 46September 27, 2019 2:50 PM

[quote]Look, we all know, if it gets to the impeachment level based on the evidence given to the Senate by the House, the Senate will either agree to an impeachment trial (defending on how this escalates, and depending on a continued shift toward impeachment in the country) or the Senate GOP (read McConnell) will simply dismiss al charges.

If the tide continues to turn against Trump, voting to acquit him, or refusing to hold a vote on removing him from office, would not be a winning strategy for Senate Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 47September 27, 2019 2:51 PM

MORE impulsive, R41. I cannot imagine!

by Anonymousreply 48September 27, 2019 2:53 PM

On WWHL Megan McCain essentially said she would vote for Biden. She really likes him.

by Anonymousreply 49September 27, 2019 2:54 PM

Imagine what it’s like for WH staffers sitting at their desks this morning, soul-searching whether it’s better to blow their own whistle now, or wait it out and hope they don’t go down with the ship.

by Anonymousreply 50September 27, 2019 2:55 PM

This won't be Watergate II, but it's own thing. They keep hoping the Clinton impeachment effect will be the same. It won't.

by Anonymousreply 51September 27, 2019 2:56 PM

[quote]If Nancy et al explain things properly, he’ll be convicted.

Yes, because Moscow Mitch listens to reason and does what's best for the country.

by Anonymousreply 52September 27, 2019 2:58 PM

R 49,Biden and her daddy were best friends. She looks at him as an uncle.

by Anonymousreply 53September 27, 2019 3:00 PM

[quote]I knew someone would be stupid enough to say something as you did.

Because there's nothing at all ironic about someone who says Fox News is doing the best job or reporting this story calling somebody else stupid.

by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2019 3:05 PM

re: the clarion call for DC insiders

I was planning on seeing my Congressional hookup this weekend. I can report back any good inside info I find out.

by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2019 3:07 PM

[quote]could he go the way of Agnew?

Agnew was VP, and resigned over a simultaneous,but unrelated to Watergate, scandal. John Mitchell is a better comparison to Barr.

by Anonymousreply 56September 27, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote]That’s sparking worries that Trump could display increasingly unpredictable behavior and lash out in unexpected ways

And we all know how crazy being hopped up on Adderall can make people.

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2019 3:14 PM

Sorry, r56--I meant Mitchell.

by Anonymousreply 58September 27, 2019 3:16 PM

Kellyanne is less heroine and more heroin.

by Anonymousreply 59September 27, 2019 3:17 PM

Joni Ernst hasn’t had time to read the 9-page whistleblower letter, y'all. She too focused on ethanol!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 27, 2019 3:20 PM

I’m going to go ahead and call it:

Trump will take every Adderall he has, lock himself in the bathroom with his phone and a hostage, and send increasingly psychotic Tweets until his heart gives out.

by Anonymousreply 61September 27, 2019 3:20 PM

Let's be real fellow homosexuals: the GOP senators will turn on Trump if and when their pollsters tell them it is politically expedient to.

by Anonymousreply 62September 27, 2019 3:26 PM

The man is going to throw everyone under the bus before he takes an ounce of responsibility. Wait until he turns on Rudy, Turtle, and the Senatrice. get out the popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 63September 27, 2019 3:36 PM

[quote]Imagine what it’s like for WH staffers sitting at their desks this morning, soul-searching whether it’s better to blow their own whistle now, or wait it out and hope they don’t go down with the ship.

Concern ye not with them. Punishments will be meted out accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 64September 27, 2019 3:39 PM

CNN:

WH acknowledges for first time that the Ukraine transcript was filed in a separate classified system. WH official tells Pamela Brown it was done under the direction of NSC attorneys. Source said: "NSC lawyers directed that the classified document be handled appropriately.”

by Anonymousreply 65September 27, 2019 3:39 PM

Where are you when I need you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 27, 2019 3:41 PM

Sen. Joni Ernst at R60 looks like she's been inhaling a little too much ethanol.

by Anonymousreply 67September 27, 2019 3:42 PM

Except that we know that the supposed "handled appropriately" is a lie, R65, since the call notes (not a transcript) have been released and there was nothing in them that was classified. No genuine NSC lawyer would have made such a recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 68September 27, 2019 3:42 PM

[quote]WH acknowledges for first time that the Ukraine transcript was filed in a separate classified system.

Trump apologists keep attacking the credibility of the whistleblower but the WH just confirmed a key detail of his complaint.

by Anonymousreply 69September 27, 2019 3:42 PM

If there is an impeachment charge it will go to the Senate for trial. Presiding will be Cheif justice Roberts. Mitch will have no say as to whether to proceed. Roberts cares about his court and it's integrity. He won't sell out to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 70September 27, 2019 3:47 PM

R5: [quote]If Nancy et al explain things properly, he’ll be convicted. But a lot depends on that, and how crazy he starts to act while under stress. [bold]They’ll need to keep him from blowing up the world while on trial, or starting war with Iran, or anybody.[/bold]

Once again, I give you this prescient moment from [italic]The Closer,[/italic] in which Kyra Sedgwick's character says

[quote]I remember once hearin' a speech about what it meant to be an officer of the CIA, and the man who gave this speech talked about the struggle to control civilization and how we're always fightin' the same fight, and he used the Dark Ages as an example. And he talked about how on the one side you had the pragmatic King, who was greedy and power hungry and basically took advantage of people whenever he could. And on the other side you had the idealistic Church, forcin' everyone to follow the same rules, believe the same thing, and all that. Neither the King nor the Church was ever completely right or wrong; both sides ended up doin' terrible things to get what they wanted, really terrible things. The point of the story was this: that this struggle from the Dark Ages had been goin' on forever, and the Church and the King might take on different philosophies, but they would always fight each other--pragmatists and idealists, and at most times, you're better off standin' on the sidelines, lettin' them duke it out. [bold]But every once in a while, one side or the other decides it might be better just to blow up the whole world just to get its own way and when that happens, you can't stand on the sidelines any more. You have to pick a team.[/bold]So for tonight anyway, we're servin' the King.

It is long past time to pick a side. Trump and McConnell MUST be removed from office/power, because this ship needs to be righted quick and in a hurry. Biden or Warren, Kamala or Pete, Klobuchar or Sanders--we MUST turn out and vote straight-ticket Democrat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 27, 2019 3:47 PM

Actually, I think one pf the many reasons for Giulani's unhinged and very public rants is to warn the orange shitgibbon that he'd better NOT throw him under the bus, because who knows what he'd say in that instance. Giulani has the receipts and he has the diagram to the cemetery showing where all of the bodies are buried.

Putin already gave Trumpy a very public warning this morning. But poor Rudy is also the loose thread that is pulling this whole thing apart

by Anonymousreply 72September 27, 2019 3:48 PM

R54 This is why I find it the most interesting network to watch right now over the impeachment issue:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 27, 2019 3:51 PM

R72, what was Putin’s “very public warning”?

by Anonymousreply 74September 27, 2019 3:52 PM

This, R74.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 27, 2019 3:55 PM

It won't go to an impeachment trial if Moscow Mitch dismisses the charges as soon as they're presented. He CAN do that and I am very sure he will.

by Anonymousreply 76September 27, 2019 3:56 PM

^^^That was for r70.

by Anonymousreply 77September 27, 2019 3:57 PM

He might technically be able to do so, r76, since the Constitution says that the Senate has "the sole power to try," which does not specifically insist that the Senate absolutely [italic]must[/italic] try.

However, were he to do so, I think the backlash would be considerable and it would all be on him. He's already on shaky ground in his reelection bid in Kentucky and I don't think he'll risk it. He's too wedded to power and too protective of his own skin to stick his neck out like that. Plus, he'll be pretty confident that the Senate won't vote to convict, so he won't need to take that risk.

by Anonymousreply 78September 27, 2019 4:00 PM

"It won't go to an impeachment trial if Moscow Mitch dismisses the charges as soon as they're presented. He CAN do that and I am very sure he will."

McConnell might instead calculate that an acquittal in 2019 or 2020 is not so inevitable and that regardless of the verdict, a full-blown impeachment trial might politically damage both the president and Republican senators, and so the political fortunes of the GOP would be better served by allowing the impeachment to hang over the election.

Can he do that? The current Senate rules certainly seem to contemplate an orderly initiation of a Senate trial once the House of Representatives has sent notice that the House has appointed managers and is prepared to exhibit articles of impeachment. But the presiding officer of the Senate could creatively interpret those rules to allow the Senate to delay moving forward with a trial, and a simple majority of the senators could vote to sustain such a ruling. Notably, this maneuver would require the senators to go on record with a vote to delay. They could not so easily hide behind McConnell. The necessity of taking such a vote might reduce the incentives for avoiding a trial, and McConnell might have a hard time keeping his majority in line to cast such a vote.

by Anonymousreply 79September 27, 2019 4:02 PM

Since I put nothing past Moscow Mitch, I can only say it wouldn't surprise me. I think ultimately how he goes depends on all the evidence and the overall opinion of the country--and his own self-interest, of course.

by Anonymousreply 80September 27, 2019 4:04 PM

Members of the House Intelligence Committee have been told to be prepared to potentially return to Washington during the upcoming two-week recess as Democrats try to wrap up the impeachment inquiry this fall.

by Anonymousreply 81September 27, 2019 4:07 PM

[QUOTE] [McConnell’s] too wedded to power and too protective of his own skin to stick his neck out like that.

He doesn’t even HAVE a neck!

by Anonymousreply 82September 27, 2019 4:09 PM

I can't believe they're even considering going away for two weeks, r81. They've got momentum right now.

by Anonymousreply 83September 27, 2019 4:17 PM

[quote]Roberts cares about his court and it's integrity. He won't sell out to Trump.

That depends on the nature of the charges and evidence that come out of the hearings (and public opinion thereon), whether he sees some wiggle room or deniability. Same with the possibility that Mitch will decline to hold a trial.

by Anonymousreply 84September 27, 2019 4:19 PM

did anyone mention that Trump raised 13 million the day after the impeachment was announced?

by Anonymousreply 85September 27, 2019 4:24 PM

Yeah, so, r85? You can't buy this off.

by Anonymousreply 86September 27, 2019 4:25 PM

[quote]did anyone mention that Trump raised 13 million the day after the impeachment was announced?

I'm believing this less and less. I mean... they might have indeed raised this amount but I believe it all is so contrived.

by Anonymousreply 87September 27, 2019 4:26 PM

Those fundraising figures just prove yet again how brain-dead his fentanyl-addicted supporters are. A fool and his money...

by Anonymousreply 88September 27, 2019 4:28 PM

Democrats raised millions, as well. I believe ActBlue accrued something like $10 million in two days.

by Anonymousreply 89September 27, 2019 4:29 PM

But his Secret Server!

by Anonymousreply 90September 27, 2019 4:31 PM

There's no reason to try to predict what will happen with this administration, or what they will do.

by Anonymousreply 91September 27, 2019 4:35 PM

I heard the investigating committees are staying in DC

by Anonymousreply 92September 27, 2019 4:39 PM

The House Intelligence Committee is, according to WaPo. Don't know about the others.

by Anonymousreply 93September 27, 2019 4:54 PM

And, how are the Dolce & Gabbana boys and Home Depot girls doing? Trump is their guy. They were the first to endorse. Has anyone heard any comments from them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 27, 2019 5:14 PM

[quote] Me: If Nancy et al explain things properly, he’ll be convicted.

[quote] R52: Yes, because Moscow Mitch listens to reason and does what's best for the country.

I love you, Easter Bunny, R52, but I think Mitch and pals in the Senate might be convinced to do the right thing, or face a backlash in Nov 2020. The Dems could sweep the election and take both houses, and the Presidency, [italic] if Nancy et al explain things properly (and well). [/italic]

The election after The Watergate conclusion went mostly to the Dems.

by Anonymousreply 95September 27, 2019 5:29 PM

[quote]Rudy Giuliani @RudyGiuliani: Shouldn’t House Dems be calling someone named Biden, before me? I’m the messenger. Are you only a whistleblower if you allege, even falsely or incorrectly, misconduct about a Repub? What if it involves a Dem selling the VP’s office. See a problem? Where’s the Senate or FBI?

Now, I wish that the Democrats can come up with an effective rebuttal to shut the strategy of them versus us. I'm so sick of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 27, 2019 5:33 PM

He probably did - from his supporters that really would not care if he murdered someone on 5th Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 97September 27, 2019 5:38 PM

Tulsi Gabbard now supports a "focused" impeachment inquiry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 27, 2019 5:45 PM

For r27

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 27, 2019 5:52 PM

What could possibly go wrong there, R99?

by Anonymousreply 100September 27, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote]For [R27]

Hmmph. When I ask for pics of vaginas, I mean I want pics of vaginas.

The newborns with guns just push me over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 101September 27, 2019 5:57 PM

I think Nancy was very good on Morning Joe. The Dems are finally sticking to message. It's a pretty simple one to understand too.

by Anonymousreply 102September 27, 2019 5:58 PM

R85, I'm OK with that. The guy who runs Trump's re-election campaign is a huge grifter/crook. I'm sure that a lot of that $13 million will just vanish off the books.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 27, 2019 6:27 PM

Those of you who think fat Donnie is going to sit down and weigh his options haven't been paying attention.

He NEVER considers the consequences to his actions because too many people have shielded his fat ass over the years.

He won't think or reason. He will get seriously butt hurt, stamp his little feet, curl up his tiny hands and stomp out of the white house.

It will only be a week or two later when he doesn't return that people will start to ask if he's quit or just taking a vacation. Because he won't bother to tell anyone or write anything down. And he will only speak to a handful of people.

Because THAT is how he operates.

by Anonymousreply 104September 27, 2019 6:32 PM

Tulsi Gabbard can go sit on a bed of nails, cunt first. How that women has even one supporter truly astonishes me.

by Anonymousreply 105September 27, 2019 6:39 PM

I'm still so shocked that anyone is loyal to the orange shitgibbon!! What is wrong with these people?

by Anonymousreply 106September 27, 2019 6:41 PM

I'm getting bored already. When are they going to release some new outrageous bombshell to delight and appall the masses?

by Anonymousreply 107September 27, 2019 6:46 PM

Bored of what, r107?

by Anonymousreply 108September 27, 2019 6:53 PM

Only BORING PEOPLE get bored, R107.

by Anonymousreply 109September 27, 2019 6:57 PM

I need constant stimulation! Give me another redacted summary of a Trump phone call or something. It's either that or go back to this book on Guaman Poma.

by Anonymousreply 110September 27, 2019 7:05 PM

R27 and others, this happened near me. AN 8 YEAR-OLD!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111September 27, 2019 7:20 PM

Keep in mind, that it takes 67 votes in the Senate to convict this shitheel. We have 47 votes between the Dems and the Independents. We need 20 more. I know people keep saying that we need 6 more seats to control the Senate, but I'd feel a lot better if we had more. We really need a tsunami style Democratic wave in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 112September 27, 2019 7:51 PM

Children are never too young for firearms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 27, 2019 8:07 PM

Politico: Secretary of State POMPEO has been subpoenaed by House committees to produce Ukraine documents.

by Anonymousreply 114September 27, 2019 8:13 PM

Do we think they’re going to play their ignore all subpoena card as per usual?

by Anonymousreply 115September 27, 2019 8:19 PM

This subpoena covers documents that Pompeo has refused to produce for weeks. I imagine the WH will fight, but the letter accompanying the subpoena states:

"Your failure or refusal to comply with the subpoena shall constitute evidence of obstruction of the House's impeachment inquiry."

by Anonymousreply 116September 27, 2019 8:23 PM

from r99: Bet this pic is triggering all the small minded liberals who think guns are bad. But if you watch scary movies, the liberals always die because they hate guns and don’t have any in their place when Charles Manson sends his drugged out hippies to use knives on people or Michael Myers comes in with his chef’s knife cutting the liberals up. In all those movies, if those liberals had guns, they’d have survived. It’s interesting. Maybe I’m the only one who noticed that about most horror movies

That is so gorgeous. Just so awesome on so many levels. MAGA, baby! In all it's proud ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 117September 27, 2019 8:25 PM

Because of the impeachment inquiry, R115, the House should be able to seek immediate review by the courts. Also, the Trump administration has constantly argued that they shouldn't have to respond to subpoenas because something serious, like an impeachment inquiry, wasn't pending. That argument has come back to bite them.

by Anonymousreply 118September 27, 2019 8:27 PM

"Monica Zelensky"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119September 27, 2019 8:30 PM

[quote] MAGA, baby! In all it's proud ignorance.

Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 120September 27, 2019 8:32 PM

R117, movies aren’t real life.

And guns won’t protect you from velociraptors.

by Anonymousreply 121September 27, 2019 8:34 PM

Thanks for coming out, R120.

by Anonymousreply 122September 27, 2019 8:39 PM

What if people refuse to testify? Pompeo, Barr, Giuliani, Mulvaney. Will they be jailed for contempt.

by Anonymousreply 123September 27, 2019 9:07 PM

LOVE that, r119.

by Anonymousreply 124September 27, 2019 9:07 PM

Senate Republicans are sociopaths. They will never vote to remove Cheeto. He could kill someone in the street. As long as he claimed self-defense, they wouldn’t vote to remove him.

by Anonymousreply 125September 27, 2019 9:12 PM

Can the House ask Ukraine for its records and recordings?

by Anonymousreply 126September 27, 2019 9:13 PM

R115 absolutely. Executive privilege card too. All day.

by Anonymousreply 127September 27, 2019 9:14 PM

I like how the House is moving fast. They're being strategic. It's like the republic's immune system is trying to adapt — swifter, more forceful — in light of Cheeto's tactics (create chaos, obstruct justice, lie lie lie).

Is Kellyanne spewing her lies yet? Smug dismissal or faux-outrage?

by Anonymousreply 128September 27, 2019 9:17 PM

Ukraine also has to consider the possibility that they’ll be dealing with Pres. Biden 16 months from now.

by Anonymousreply 129September 27, 2019 9:18 PM

Kellyanne has been nowhere. I guess Fox but I don't watch it. I bet she does some Sunday shows because she will have time to get her alternative facts straight.

by Anonymousreply 130September 27, 2019 9:20 PM

Ukraine could use some sunlight. Disclose. The republic is more than its executive. Think long-term, Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 131September 27, 2019 9:20 PM

omfg. Rudy is the gift that keeps on giving. He's set to make a paid appearance at a Kremlin-backed event next week. - -

Rudolph W. Giuliani, whose actions as President Trump’s personal lawyer have helped set in motion an impeachment inquiry, is set to appear as a paid speaker at a Kremlin-backed conference in Armenia on Tuesday — an event expected to include the participation of Russian President Vladi­mir Putin and other top Russian officials.

Giuliani confirmed to The Washington Post on Friday that he plans to take part in a panel at the conference sponsored by Russia and the Moscow-based Eurasian Economic Union, a trade alliance launched by Putin in 2014 as a counterweight to the European Union.

According to an agenda for the event posted online, Giuliani is set to participate in a panel led by Sergey Glazyev, a longtime Putin adviser who has been under U.S. sanctions since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine five years ago.

iuliani’s decision to take part in the conference astounded national security experts. His scheduled appearance comes days after the release of a whistleblower complaint accusing Trump and Giuliani of pressuring Ukrainian officials for damaging information about Democrats.

Trump this summer withheld military aid from Ukraine, which counts on U.S. support to help fend off pro-Moscow separatists in the country’s eastern provinces. As part of his efforts in Ukraine, Giuliani has said the focus on Russia’s interference in the 2016 election has overlooked what he claims was meddling by Kiev.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 27, 2019 9:20 PM

The House is moving fast in part, I think, because they believe it's possible (unlikely, but possible) that Cheeto will stir up unrelated chaos to draw attention elsewhere (Iran, etc.). The media will follow his lead, especially the Times, which the rest of the media will in turn follow.

by Anonymousreply 133September 27, 2019 9:21 PM

It's long past time for Nancy Pelosi to start publicly shaming McConnell and the pro Jabba Republicans in Congress. She and her people need to take every opportunity to point out how Turtle Head and his people are working overtime to protect a known criminal in the White House which makes them complicit in his crimes.

by Anonymousreply 134September 27, 2019 9:25 PM

I'm excited but scared as well. I'm scared that "undecideds" won't see impeachment as a valid move. "It's all partisan politics," they'll say from their Iowa pancake houses and Pennsylvania diners to reporters.

If it's such a political move (as opposed to a necessary move to preserve the republic), why are the Dems risking what happened to the GOP when they impeached Clinton?

"It's such a bad strategic move" guys like Bret Stephens, Douthat, and David Brooks moan. As if principle doesn't matter. As if letting Cheeto get away with it won't invite further abuses of power and harm to the republic. Morons.

by Anonymousreply 135September 27, 2019 9:27 PM

Thank goodness for the Washington Post. The Times is going to do its best to "what about" this to death and minimize everything, labelling it purely partisan politics.

The Times isn't interested in defending our democracy. They basically outed the WB to the public, endangering him.

They're helping Cheeto to preserve their access.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 27, 2019 9:30 PM

People are canceling their Times subscriptions.

If you do so, please subscribe to another newspaper. Support the free press.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 27, 2019 9:32 PM

All of this nonsense just confirms that we need to reestablish the old Austrian empire, including the parts of Ukraine not currently occupied by Russia, as a buffer state between western Europe and the Russian menace. Which Hapsburg is up next?

by Anonymousreply 138September 27, 2019 9:34 PM

#CancelNYT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 27, 2019 9:34 PM

I canceled the NYT a long time ago. I subscribe to my local paper and the Washington Post.

by Anonymousreply 140September 27, 2019 9:37 PM

On Twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 27, 2019 9:38 PM

Two items:

1) Let's not forget it was WaPo, not NYT, that broke the whole Watergate story. And it's even more interesting now that Bezos owns WaPo.

2) It there is any encouragement about the repugs beginning to jump ship, the whole fight among the Faux News opinion shits (Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham, Pirro) and the actual news department is delightful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 142September 27, 2019 9:40 PM

Me too r140

by Anonymousreply 143September 27, 2019 9:52 PM

Ooopsie, looks like we have our first Republican house rep who I would label as "Impeachment Curious."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144September 27, 2019 9:54 PM

Is he impeachment adjacent?

by Anonymousreply 145September 27, 2019 9:56 PM

I loathe the New York Times for its arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 146September 27, 2019 9:57 PM

I'm baffled and confused about how Rudy Giuliani is able to hop around the globe doing the White House's business. What about background checks and security clearances on the man? Is he cleared and able to do all this shit?

by Anonymousreply 147September 27, 2019 10:01 PM

Map of the key players & timeline:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 27, 2019 10:09 PM

Joe Biden:

I believe our elections should be decided by the American people — not foreign governments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 27, 2019 10:15 PM

The difference between NYT and WaPo comes down the this: the Times needs to make money, the Post does not.

While Bezos isn't running a charity, WaPo is cushioned by Amazon. The NYT, OTOH, is all the family has got and so they need to raise money.

Thus they often act like Fox News, running stories for shock value or clicks.

by Anonymousreply 150September 27, 2019 10:16 PM

BREAKING: A new Senate report reveals that the @NRA was a 'foreign asset' to Russia ahead of 2016, promising access to U.S. officials in exchange for Russian business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 27, 2019 10:19 PM

Ted Lieu:

If the below article is accurate, it appears @realDonaldTrump seeks to trade action on legislation in exchange for financial support from the @NRA . That would be illegal. A felony, to be exact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152September 27, 2019 10:20 PM

[quote] The difference between NYT and WaPo comes down the this: the Times needs to make money, the Post does not.

You have a point, but Bezos has only owned the Post since 2013, and the difference between the two papers has been apparent since before that, back when the Post was also family owned.

by Anonymousreply 153September 27, 2019 10:21 PM

The 21st century has been fucked up so far

by Anonymousreply 154September 27, 2019 10:21 PM

I’ve been over the NYT for a while. I was a frequent listener of their podcast The Daily, but had to stop because they were trying so hard to pretend that this is an ordinary presidency that it was painful. And that was before I knew about Michael Barbaro’s conversion to lesbianism.

by Anonymousreply 155September 27, 2019 10:22 PM

Why can’t we get the verbatim phone call transcript, instead of that whitewashed record of the call? Nancy, well, everyone, should be demanding it! Especially after Atty. General Barr mis-interpreted the Mueller report!

by Anonymousreply 156September 27, 2019 10:32 PM

The NYT has also had a vendetta against the Clintons for years.

And some writers like Maureen Dowd, have been particularly bad. A quantitative analysis of the articles by Dowd revealed that about two-thirds of her columns on Hillary over the past 2 decades had been negative.

by Anonymousreply 157September 27, 2019 10:33 PM

What with this current Ukraine shit, the charges Mueller told us to pursue and what ever fucking crap the big baby poops out of his ass in the coming year, I figure I can keep this impeachment train chugging right along until well after inauguration day 2021.

by Anonymousreply 158September 27, 2019 10:40 PM

R158, what I hate most about your post is that it isn’t clear what you meant to communicate.

by Anonymousreply 159September 27, 2019 10:44 PM

Yeah, it's clear; it's also wrong, R159. Pelosi wants to have this done quickly, possibly by the end of the year.

by Anonymousreply 160September 27, 2019 10:48 PM

[quote] The NYT has also had a vendetta against the Clintons for years.

I'll take "All The Reasons Why She Lost" For $400, please, Alex

by Anonymousreply 161September 27, 2019 10:50 PM

Kurt Volker has resigned and Rudy has canceled his paid appearance at the Kremlin-backed conference, all while I took a catnap. The news is coming fast and furious right now. If only the shitgibbon would take the hint and resign himself rather than dragging this all out.

by Anonymousreply 162September 27, 2019 10:53 PM

Not going to happen, r162 -- which will make his downfall even more spectacular

by Anonymousreply 163September 27, 2019 10:57 PM

Volker is, or was, head of John McCain's Institute. Why did he even get involved with these swamp rats?

by Anonymousreply 164September 27, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]Kurt Volker has resigned

What reason was given?

by Anonymousreply 165September 27, 2019 10:59 PM

Have you all realized yet that this will be [italic] the [/italic] topic of conversation at Thanksgiving? If you talk politics, I mean. My deplorable relatives can’t shut their mouths about politics.

My brother is currently up in arms about a tax hike that will raise the cost of a certain grocery store-bought pre-made salad by 29¢.

My sister and her husband are Foxwashed and can’t shut up about White Privilege, Blue Lives Matter, Political Correctness, and so forth.

I haven’t visited there since they got completely out of control. I credit Trump and Fox with giving them permission to express their inner piggishness.

by Anonymousreply 166September 27, 2019 11:00 PM

R165, no reason given yet.

by Anonymousreply 167September 27, 2019 11:02 PM

The Kurt Volker resignation story, still breaking.

[quote]Executive Director of the McCain Institute Kurt Volker resigned from his position as the U.S. Special Envoy for Ukraine Friday, following reports he collaborated with Ukraine and President Donald Trump.

[quote]An ASU official confirmed Volker's resignation Friday, and said the University could not speak about his future at ASU because the University does not comment on personnel matters.

[quote]Volker met with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Friday to announce he would be resigning, the official said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 27, 2019 11:04 PM

Pamela Brown on CNN reporting White House has admitted they also restricted access to records of phone calls between Trump and Putin and Trump and Mohammad bin Salman.

by Anonymousreply 169September 27, 2019 11:05 PM

The Giuliani story.

[quote]Rudolph W. Giuliani, whose actions as President Trump’s personal lawyer have helped set in motion an impeachment inquiry, abruptly canceled his scheduled paid appearance at a Kremlin-backed conference in Armenia next week.

[quote]Giuliani, who confirmed to The Washington Post on Friday morning that he would attend the event, reversed himself that evening after The Post reported on his participation in the meeting, which Russian President Vladi­mir Putin and other top Russian officials are expected to attend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 27, 2019 11:05 PM

The President of Ukraine used to be a comedian. BUT looks like he still has his comedy chops going. This is the actual presentation he gave at the World Leaders Forum at the UN this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 27, 2019 11:14 PM

Reuters:

Republicans see impeachment backfiring. Democrats fear they may be right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 27, 2019 11:24 PM

^ You realize that this article was written yesterday?

What s difference a day makes. 24... little hours...

by Anonymousreply 173September 27, 2019 11:27 PM

R172, I call bullshit. So what are we supposed to do? Walk around eggshells and let this band of freaks get away with everything just because of his stupid base? I'm glad the Democrats and Pelosi had the balls to do this much. Screw these stupid people and their neverending "concerns."

by Anonymousreply 174September 27, 2019 11:27 PM

If Pelosi let this moment pass WITHOUT impeaching, she would have faced a mob with pitchforks calling for her head. Good or bad, it had to be done. Time to roll the dice and try to take this shitgibbon down

by Anonymousreply 175September 27, 2019 11:29 PM

I now feel dumber for having read that bullshit article cited in R172. That was just incredibly stupid. And it clearly did not wear well, given the events of the 24 hours since.

by Anonymousreply 176September 27, 2019 11:29 PM

The new Shit Hits The Fan threads are SO much better than the cliquish Mueller/Treason/"Miss Lindsey" threads.

Way to go, Fan Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 177September 27, 2019 11:31 PM

Original Politico headline: "Just another day in Fucknutsville."

Since modified, sadly.

However, Mike Kunkel decided to take advantage of the lapse with a Chrome extension.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178September 27, 2019 11:34 PM

R26 gets it.

by Anonymousreply 179September 27, 2019 11:51 PM

Trump lost the centre months ago. The rest is just bluster.

by Anonymousreply 180September 27, 2019 11:54 PM

I can’t believe so many of them are slurring Biden with no evidence at all, of anything. It’s angering.

Giuliani is now claiming to be “the real whistleblower”! What the fuck! How shameful!

by Anonymousreply 181September 27, 2019 11:55 PM

Posters who think McConnell can just open and close an impeachment trial in the Senate with a gavel in 5 mins. don’t know what they’re talking about. Chief Justice John Roberts will preside over the trial. The GOP Senators will either have to answer to all of Trump’s crimes or make him answer for them. But using QAnon as a defender ISN'T going to cut it.

Seems a lot of you didn’t live through Watergate so you don’t really grasp what’s going on. There is STRONG, FUNDAMENTAL precedent for these proceedings - that’s what has the GOP so terrified. The House is going to have their inquiry and there’s nothing Trump can do about it because anything he tries in the courts is going to be struck down and decided in favour of the House - because we’ve already done this. Trump is played out. End of. It’s happening.

by Anonymousreply 182September 28, 2019 12:04 AM

I'm all in for the impeachment, but I just don't see the senate cracking. McConnel has been giving the middle finger to the everyone who is not Mitch McConnel for so long, that he no longer gives a fuck. I just don't see him letting that happen. He'd rather lose a seat than have the whole thing come down all around him.

by Anonymousreply 183September 28, 2019 12:07 AM

I just want to know if there's already a movement behind the scenes to force out Pence, so the Republicans can install a Gerald Ford-type into the office.

by Anonymousreply 184September 28, 2019 12:12 AM

I think most of the GOP will think, “This has been fun but here’s our opportunity to get our party back.” Yeah, they’ll be in the wilderness for at least 4 years (probably a lot longer) - but they deserve that. Why risk losing everything? Trump really is of no more use to them. I think the rats will see the sheer scale of this thing, recognise the absurdity of fighting it and pledge allegiance to their country again. Otherwise they face almost complete annihilation as a party. Trump is going down and you can tell he’s going to take a LOT of people with him. He ain’t going quietly but they may even have to execute the 25th amendment before they impeach him. Watch how quickly the rats desert a sinking ship.

Hillary was right (AGAIN): He doesn’t have the temperament for this. He never did.

by Anonymousreply 185September 28, 2019 12:14 AM

The Senate will use this as a (very valid) excuse to finally dump him, and prohibit him from future political office. Yes, they can do that. They all hate him and this is their chance.

Former AZ Sen. Jeff Flake said that if the vote was anonymous, there’d be 30 Republican Senators voting to impeach.

by Anonymousreply 186September 28, 2019 12:22 AM

^ today he upped it to 35.

Cowards. There is nothing - NOTHING - left that can redeem today's Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 187September 28, 2019 12:24 AM

The only way to get rid of Trump really is if at least ten or more Republican Senators would support impeachment. Maybe the fucknut would get scared and resign before being publicly humiliated in a lengthy public trial.

Why hasn't Barr resigned yet or made a public statement? Did I miss it?

by Anonymousreply 188September 28, 2019 12:34 AM

R169, Fun fact: CNN's Pamela Brown is the daughter of former Miss America Phyllis George and former Kentucky Governor John Brown.

by Anonymousreply 189September 28, 2019 12:36 AM

From a great profile of Pelosi in the New Yorker

[quote]Earlier this week, Pelosi said, she took a call from Trump, who started out talking about guns. “The President, as you know, is big on what he claims is the charm offensive,” she said. “And some of his charm offensive is very offensive.

There's a reason he's afraid of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 28, 2019 12:41 AM

And the hits keep on coming

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 28, 2019 12:42 AM

R182, what some are pointing out is that there is no Constitutional requirement that forces the Senate to have a trial at all. Theoretically, McConnell could refuse to conduct the trial and, legally, there is nothing stopping him from doing that. Personally, I don't think he will, as the blowback from that would be too damn strong but, technically, he could.

R185, you're assuming that there is any real risk from Congressional Republicans sticking together and staying with Trump. For most of them, damn near all of them, there is little to no risk. Trump's base is absolutely with him and the House members, in particular, are mostly in strong, often gerrymandered, Republican districts where there is little chance of a Democrat picking them off. Most of the Senators are in a similar position. The real risk may well be on the other side: getting attacked in the primary from the right for being insufficiently loyal to Trump.

Right now, they're being cautious, waiting to see whether they can ride this out, to see if the base will remain with Trump, to see if there are any new revelations coming to light. Absent anything new, I would expect them to brazen it out and to portray this as Democratic "overreach" and Democrats trying to "overturn the 2016 election." The risk involved there, particularly given the state of our national media, would be pretty minimal.

by Anonymousreply 192September 28, 2019 12:45 AM

NYT confirms: Kurt Volker, the State Department's special envoy for Ukraine, who got caught in the middle of the pressure campaign by Trump and Rudy Giuliani to find damaging information about Democrats, resigned his post on Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193September 28, 2019 12:46 AM

Could someone explain what there is left to investigate and what facts still need to be uncovered?

by Anonymousreply 194September 28, 2019 12:48 AM

Ted Lieu: ‏ The @HouseForeign, @OversightDems & @HouseIntel Committees have scheduled a deposition for Kurt Volker for next week. Mr. Volker was @realDonaldTrump's Special Envoy to Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 28, 2019 12:49 AM

There were quite a few contacts between the Trump campaign and White House with Ukraine, R194. We also need to know the involvement of both the State Department and the Justice Department. And we need to confirm the rest of the contents of the whistleblower's memo.

by Anonymousreply 196September 28, 2019 12:52 AM

Democrats are still expecting Volker to show up for his deposition on Capitol Hill on Oct. 3, sources tell @ABC News.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 28, 2019 12:53 AM

Trump told Russian officials in 2017 he wasn’t concerned about Moscow’s interference in U.S. election

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198September 28, 2019 12:56 AM

Trump told the Russians privately in 2017 that he wasn’t concerned about their interference in our election because we do the same thing in others’ elections.

We do, but that’s just stupid. Incredibly stupid. Need I say why, or is it obvious enough?

It’s so infuriating. We’ve got a Manchurian President.

by Anonymousreply 199September 28, 2019 12:59 AM

If he wasn't compromised before that meeting (of course he was) he's been compromised every day since.

It certainly seems like somebody is done with his ass. Bolton? White House staff? CIA?

by Anonymousreply 200September 28, 2019 1:02 AM

Just watching Rep. Alyssa Slotkin on CNN. She is all kinds of common sense awesome.

by Anonymousreply 201September 28, 2019 1:09 AM

That WaPo story linked at R191 and R198 is devastating and infuriating. That was the same meeting, remember, where he gave the Russians information about ISIS that came from Israeli intelligence—just tossing it their way, endangering counter-terrorist operatives. And the same one at which he said that firing James Comey had taken "great pressure" off him. Think of all the damage this treasonous Russian asset has been doing as our chief executive for almost three years. Impeach him and everyone who's enabled his treason.

by Anonymousreply 202September 28, 2019 1:21 AM

The lack of common sense on these threads is astounding

GOP senators and representatives will only vote for impeachment if the poll numbers tell them to

If they think it's going to seriously hurt their re-election chances, then they're not going there.

If they think their constituents are mostly done with The Donald Trump Show, then they'll dump him

They are not a particularly nuanced group.

by Anonymousreply 203September 28, 2019 1:23 AM

I wonder if the Russian meeting will become a bigger story.

Shortly after Trump had those Russians in the Oval Office, Trump spent a long weekend in Florida because they had to gut and rebuild the Oval Office. I read on DataLounge that it was to ensure that the Russians didn’t hid a bug somewhere that they couldn’t otherwise detect.

At link: a US Government Seal which was a gift from the USSR to the US. It hung somewhere important for years, IIRC, before a bug was found in it. So, it can happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 28, 2019 1:25 AM

[quote] R203: The lack of common sense on these threads is astounding...

Generally I enjoy your posts but I think we all know what you posted in R203, so no scolding is necessary.

What I, personally, am hoping for, is that the House investigation finds evidence that moves both the public and their Representatives. We can’t know until the process moves forward.

by Anonymousreply 205September 28, 2019 1:32 AM

One thing for sure—politicians have access to much more accurate polling than the public. The fact that there are cracks appearing is showing you that the numbers are trending against Dump.

by Anonymousreply 206September 28, 2019 1:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 28, 2019 2:00 AM

Does it matter that this is just an impeachment investigation and not an impeachment? They could still decide that Trump deserves a censure, but not an impeachment. A censure isn’t really anything. They toyed with that during the Clinton business. That’s where MoveOn.org came from. It was “Censure, and move on”, originally.

by Anonymousreply 208September 28, 2019 2:15 AM

They ain't gonna censure him. He's in too deep.

by Anonymousreply 209September 28, 2019 2:21 AM

There was this Republican talking head on Cuomo just now doing what they always do: smiling... smiling so inappropriately. Virtually every Republican talking head smiles, no matter what. It's not gonna make you likeable. But they all do it. It's weird.

by Anonymousreply 210September 28, 2019 2:26 AM

If they do something ineffectual, I’d go to DC to march.

by Anonymousreply 211September 28, 2019 2:30 AM

Trump was recorded this week as calling the whistleblower a “traitor”, and then he implied that he or she should be executed.

Trump is infamous for his projection. No doubt, he has heard people call him a traitor, and he’s trying to turn it around.

He is a traitor. Lock him up!

by Anonymousreply 212September 28, 2019 2:56 AM

That whistleblower will be ripped to shreds by the opposition, even though Trump admits to the worst of the allegations in the WB’s letter. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 213September 28, 2019 3:03 AM

I know r213, his life will be torn apart. Every aspect of his life will be scrutinized. It’s sad—he truly is a hero and he’ll be excoriated by the right for it. I hope that he and his family are watched over. I was just imagining what he must be thinking, watching the news right now. He must be in a bit of shock.

by Anonymousreply 214September 28, 2019 3:12 AM

^ geez I was even thinking, what if he’s a gay man who’s reading DL right this minute! Are you out there, whistleblower?

by Anonymousreply 215September 28, 2019 3:14 AM

Lindsey already told a reporter he's golfing with Trump tomorrow so they can talk about the whistleblower and then Lindsey will do the Sunday shows. So they're going to pull every dirty trick in the book.

I hope that sleazy motherfucker goes down with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 216September 28, 2019 3:17 AM

[quote] l'état, c'est moi

R212, continuing...

Trump can’t differentiate between the State and himself. That does not bode well.

Linked: Hitler mocks FDR

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217September 28, 2019 3:24 AM

[quote]Lindsey already told a reporter he's golfing with Trump tomorrow so they can talk about the whistleblower and then Lindsey will do the Sunday shows. So they're going to pull every dirty trick in the book.

@DavidCornDC Graham to Trump’s colon: “Mind if I play through?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218September 28, 2019 3:28 AM

Look, the WB is a spook. S/he knew what would happen when word got out. They ain't dumb.

This person probably has numerous contingency plans and understands how to go to ground, change their appearance, lay low in hostile territory.

That being said, I do hope they use every trick of the trade and slip away safely with their family when they get a chance.

by Anonymousreply 219September 28, 2019 3:45 AM

Pamela Brown is GORGEOUS! She could have had her pick of hedge funder husbands and never worked a day in her life. But she chose to be a journalist and she regularly breaks news on CNN all while looking like a million bucks. She must love the thrill of it.

If I looked like that I would marry a billionaire and call it a day as far as working. She is a better person than me.

by Anonymousreply 220September 28, 2019 4:01 AM

R35 - Rudy will be a legacy convict; his father, a career small-time criminal, spent some time in Sing Sing.

by Anonymousreply 221September 28, 2019 5:27 AM

No Mar-a-Lago. Just hunkering down with the lawyers and advisers on Saturday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222September 28, 2019 6:54 AM

There are an awful lot of Republicans that hate his guts in The Senate and Congress. They might be cowards, but they aren't stupid. When all the evidence is revealed they might not have a choice. They didn't hide correspondence on a secret server because he was sharing his Mother's secret Borscht recipe with Putin.

by Anonymousreply 223September 28, 2019 9:10 AM

I don't know about anyone else but I got an email from my Congressman yesterday (a republican) asking everyone on the mailing list to take a survey about the impeachment. Of course he said he felt they were going way too fast (he is a republican after all), It was a simple one question survey. Do you support impeachment of Trump or not. Obviously I answer HELL YES I SUPPORT IMPEACHMENT. And if there had been a spot for me to comment I would have told my Congressman that he didn't vote for impeachment if it comes to trial we'll kick his ass out too.

Expect most of the other Republicans in Congress to start sending out the same emails. That's how they're going to find out of their constituents are likely to vote against them at re-election time or not.

by Anonymousreply 224September 28, 2019 9:21 AM

McConnell has now stated that if Trump is impeached the Senate will have no choice but to hold a trial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 28, 2019 9:23 AM

Nancy Pelosi deftly cunting Kellyanne in this clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 28, 2019 9:33 AM

At least Nixon did SOMETHING.

by Anonymousreply 227September 28, 2019 9:36 AM

Idiots! You're all utter fools! Only I know what is truly going on! I will now say so in the most condescending and patronizing way possible! #yanggang

by Anonymousreply 228September 28, 2019 9:49 AM

Yeah, I’m with Pelosi: I don’t find garish, vulgar, moronic slobs charming. Never have.

by Anonymousreply 229September 28, 2019 9:58 AM

R192, fair enough but again you don’t understand the scale. This is too big to “brazen” it out. And it isn’t about the 2016 election “candidate” Trump. This is about his behaviour as President. There will be a hard core of about 23% of the electorate who will always support Trump - that’s his bottom. But watch. His entire administration is in meltdown - it’s like his own personal, well-deserved 9/11. And he’s an idiot surrounded by idiots. He’s not going to make it to Thanksgiving let alone Election Day. The GOP will pull the plug because they won’t have the stomach for it - even Reagan testified during the Iran Contra hearings. Trump doesn’t have the discipline for that. The GIOP will not want the spectacle of that.

Pelosi is very clever avoiding a select committee. The existing committees in Congress are getting this stuff done fast.

by Anonymousreply 230September 28, 2019 10:10 AM

I look forward to his unhinged Saturday morning tweets.

by Anonymousreply 231September 28, 2019 10:12 AM

I just realized he pinned his latest I AM DRAINING THE SWAMP tweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232September 28, 2019 10:24 AM

Trump has clearly shown his hand. His afraid of Biden.

by Anonymousreply 233September 28, 2019 10:42 AM

Ukraine should keep in mind that Joe Biden could very well be the next US president.

by Anonymousreply 234September 28, 2019 11:05 AM

Don't stamp on my neck but I just cannot figure out what happened to Miz Lindsey.

He's gone full blown ass kisser. From where he started on Trump to where he is now... has there ever been a collapse like it? Is it just he's so lonely, so closeted, so crazed that after he lost his McCain family connection he had to go somewhere and decided to go big? Madonna at her cagiest didn't reinvent herself on this scale. It completely blows my mind because he may be emotional and impulsive but he's not stupid. Tying himself to Trump is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 235September 28, 2019 11:49 AM

It's either suck Jabba's button mushroom dick or risk whatever Trump knows about him becoming public knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 236September 28, 2019 11:51 AM

Maybe he's just an unprincipled politician who sees that, especially in SC, he has no chance of keeping his office—as well as his speaking gigs on Fox, with its make-up experts and flattering lighting—without showing the base his most rabid demagogue-love.

by Anonymousreply 237September 28, 2019 11:54 AM

What r237 said.

Graham openly concedes he wants no distance between Trump and him because he wants to remain Senator. He said so in a recent profile of him written by, iirc, and subject to my being corrected, Mark Liebovitch of the NY Times?

by Anonymousreply 238September 28, 2019 12:11 PM

As for r236, I would have no doubt about that, too.

by Anonymousreply 239September 28, 2019 12:12 PM

So an R Congressman from NV just came out for the Impeachment inquiry. So that makes 2. 2 fucking congressman from the other side who believe what Trump did was wrong. Jesus.

I agree with R236...as soon as the R's see support for impeachment creeping up in the polls they will abandon him. We'll see how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 240September 28, 2019 12:26 PM

oops meant R203

by Anonymousreply 241September 28, 2019 12:27 PM

I think Nixon was the only impeachment process that had any bipartisan integrity to it. Clinton was a joke. Johnson was politics. Trump is being avoided on the basis of self-interest. It's not like this is the only failing of this president, yet they shirk their obligations and put party before country. That's what it's become. Same thing with the UK and Brexit... power is more interested in what it wants than in doing its duty. Society is undergoing a rapid collapse in confidence institutions... because the people running them are putting something else above basic, obvious, accepted duty. This is so bad.

by Anonymousreply 242September 28, 2019 12:33 PM

So his latest insult is "Do Nothing Democrat Savages"

Always classy

by Anonymousreply 243September 28, 2019 12:34 PM

Oh, they're doing something...

by Anonymousreply 244September 28, 2019 12:35 PM

[quote]McConnell has now stated that if Trump is impeached the Senate will have no choice but to hold a trial.

While I will not state that this is Moscow Mitch doing the right thing, it is an additional sign that the dam has finally broken.

by Anonymousreply 245September 28, 2019 12:35 PM

He just tweeted PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!

by Anonymousreply 246September 28, 2019 12:37 PM

[quote]Don't stamp on my neck but I just cannot figure out what happened to Miz Lindsey.

He's an empty vessel. He needs a hero to look up to. When the love of his life passed, he needed a new. Unfortunately he grabbed on to you know who.

by Anonymousreply 247September 28, 2019 12:40 PM

Ok. He just posted MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Less than a minute later:

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!

by Anonymousreply 248September 28, 2019 12:41 PM

^ I think it is probably as simple as that.

Really pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 249September 28, 2019 12:41 PM

Republicans are very good at Swiftboating. Half the country still thinks American war hero John Kerry is actually a traitor. We'll see what sticks to Biden.

by Anonymousreply 250September 28, 2019 12:42 PM

Or Warren. Or any of them. Swiftboating is here to stay. Some are more vulnerable than others.

by Anonymousreply 251September 28, 2019 12:44 PM

[quote]R192, fair enough but again you don’t understand the scale. This is too big to “brazen” it out.

No, it really isn't, as we're already seeing. They've decided that it's "hearsay" and that there was no explicit "quid pro quo," so this is just another "witch hunt." Absent new evidence of one kind or another, they will be easily able to brazen it out.

[quote]There will be a hard core of about 23% of the electorate who will always support Trump - that’s his bottom.

His hard core base is closer to 35%.

[quote]His entire administration is in meltdown

They're scrambling to do damage control and Trump is madly tweeting but that's temporary. We've seen this before with other revelations. They'll settle on a message; Trump will get over his outrage; his base will cry "fake news" and "witch hunt" and "no collusion."

[quote]He’s not going to make it to Thanksgiving let alone Election Day.

I'm sorry, but this is just foolish wishful thinking. He's not going to resign and the GOP will not make him do so.

[quote]The GOP will pull the plug because they won’t have the stomach for it

As long as that hard core base is with Trump, the GOP will remain with him, as well. And, so far, there are no signs of that base deserting him.

by Anonymousreply 252September 28, 2019 1:20 PM

What r250 and r251 said.

Democrats compliment voters by assuming they know bullshit when they see it. It's a mistake Dems, and I include myself here, make again, and again and again.

Call me crazy, but I took a different view of Hillary not campaigning in Wisconsin in 2016. I think she assumed voters would know a blatant, overtly self-dealing, bigoted corrupt Con Man, that is Trump when they saw one, and didn't need to be steered away from him.

Well, I was wrong, of course. Two mistakes made- voters want to be asked to vote for you and 2, we are too damn stupid to avoid the likes of Trump.

Repugs don't make those mistakes. They know Americans are stupid, fearful and susceptible to nonsense. Then they go about their ruthless, non-restrained political warfare accordingly. Yes, Obama was voted in twice, deserved to be, and earned re-election, but by sheer outlier anomaly. The combination of GWB perpetrating such a massive fuck-up with Iraq and the extraordinary campaigning skills, charisma and appeal of Obama carried the day.

It pains me to write these words because I deeply admire Hillary Clinton and believe she would make a superb POTUS, but, let's not forget that in 2008, we as Dems rejected her. Why then, wouldn't a small, significant, stupid fearful segment not do so too? I'm talking about the 77, 000 voters over WI, MI and Ohio that voted Trump and handed him the EC victory.

Again, Repugs have perfected political carnage. They have no restraint, no hesitancy at using every weapon at their disposal, including making shit up out of thin air. and why not? It works.

Trump himself doesn't have the hide to endure it. He isn't tough. He's a classic insecure Paper Tiger, brave at the safe remove of his Twitter account. Underlying Repugs dislike of Trump is that they know that about him; they have to save his weak-ass self.

by Anonymousreply 253September 28, 2019 1:24 PM

[quote] Underlying Repugs dislike of Trump is that they know that about him; they have to save his weak-ass self.

I'm talking about the Repug elected and donor class elite, not Don and Dee Plorable. They're a given that they're glommed to Trump with glue.

by Anonymousreply 254September 28, 2019 1:33 PM

[quote]Don't stamp on my neck but I just cannot figure out what happened to Miz Lindsey.

Why single out Lindsey? Every damn Republican member of Congress beat the drum loudly for free trade and lowering the deficit until Trump decided otherwise. It's all about doing and saying whatever they must to avoid a GOP primary challenger and get reelected. You could not squeeze an ounce of integrity from the whole lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 255September 28, 2019 1:35 PM

[quote]they've decided that it's "hearsay" and that there was no explicit "quid pro quo," so this is just another "witch hunt." Absent new evidence of one kind or another, they will be easily able to brazen it out.

This flimsy argument—obviously contradicted even by what the WH has released—is going to stick only with the hardest-core base, and whether that's 23% or 35% or somewhere in between, they're not enough to let the whole Republican party easily brazen it out. Notice that even Mitch is hedging his bets now, promising a trial in the Senate if Trump is impeached. He may be confident that the Senate will vote not to convict, but he's not simply denying that impeachment is a legitimate move here.

by Anonymousreply 256September 28, 2019 1:38 PM

R255, how many Republican Senators and Representatives are in safe states and districts, supported by that same 35%? And have you really not seen the handwringing news articles from the mainstream media about how "Impeachment will hurt Democrats!!!!" Absent new data of some kind, Republicans are not going to have a problem brazening it out, particularly with a lazy "both sides do it" media helping them along.

I strongly support impeachment and it was definitely the right thing to do, but get real about the consequences. In any case, we'll likely know in a couple of weeks which of us is correct.

by Anonymousreply 257September 28, 2019 1:45 PM

[quote]Notice that even Mitch is hedging his bets now, promising a trial in the Senate if Trump is impeached.

Moscow Mitch said that in March, long before impeachment was an actual possibility.

Today in Politico: "Lawmakers from both parties say they wouldn’t be surprised if the Kentucky Republican ultimately made the same calculation he did in 2016 when President Barack Obama nominated Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court."

by Anonymousreply 258September 28, 2019 1:50 PM

Lindsey is playing golf with Trump today.

by Anonymousreply 259September 28, 2019 1:51 PM

As someone said on MSNBC yesterday, there is no bottom when it comes to Trump’s behavior and corruption. So that is forcing most Republican politicians to freeze. They don’t want to claim blind support only to discover some bigger scandal tomorrow. The longer they don’t defend him vigorously, the bigger the impeachment probe becomes.

by Anonymousreply 260September 28, 2019 1:51 PM

Meanwhile, Barr is hiding out in Italy on "official travel" - wtf kind of "official travel" would the US AG have over there? These shady mofos are really something else.

by Anonymousreply 261September 28, 2019 1:52 PM

[QUOTE] Republicans are very good at Swiftboating. Half the country still thinks American war hero John Kerry is actually a traitor. We'll see what sticks to Biden.

Are you the same poster who is currently overusing the word “brazen” in this thread? This post is really ridiculous. No one but Ken fucking Vogel is even talking about Joe Biden right now. And the Ukraine itself has stated that there was nothing there.

I actually think the missing part of the transcript is Trump asking them to just make something up about him if they want U.S. aid.

by Anonymousreply 262September 28, 2019 2:06 PM

[quote]Absent new data of some kind

Yes. But new information could certainly come out during the impeachment hearings, either because of them or alongside them, and public opinion—which *started* with better than a third of the public favoring impeachment long before hearings became a reality—could also dampen Republican support for Trump. I simply don't think it's realistic to discount breaks in the Republican dam at this point in the game and in a political climate that at best is not definitely favorable to Republicans next year. They'll probably vote not to convict, if it comes to a vote, but they'll do so at the risk of riling up an already riled up Democratic base, and of alienating more independents, and that's something that a senator like Susan Collins won't want to do.

by Anonymousreply 263September 28, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote]Meanwhile, Barr is hiding out in Italy on "official travel" - wtf kind of "official travel" would the US AG have over there?

I assume he's meeting with the principal mafia families. So much to do these days...

by Anonymousreply 264September 28, 2019 2:07 PM

Exactly what r258 said. I thought the same thing. Now that impeachment is actually a reality, that scumbag Moscow Mitch would definitely bury it. I think he would bet his low approval ratings in Kentucky on it, all or nothing.

by Anonymousreply 265September 28, 2019 2:10 PM

Conservatives join the fight against Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266September 28, 2019 2:12 PM

[quote] Meanwhile, Barr is hiding out in Italy on "official travel" - wtf kind of "official travel" would the US AG have over there?

Seeking Vatican sanctuary?

by Anonymousreply 267September 28, 2019 2:17 PM

"McConnell has now stated that if Trump is impeached the Senate will have no choice but to hold a trial."

They don't need Tweety anymore. He was their rah-rah spokesmodel while they filled the courts with Christian Supremacists. They're anxious to get their Catholic-turned-holy roller Mike Pence into the top spot, to begin building a theocracy.

Thanks Donsld for all your hard work. We know you'll keep tweeting from Mar-a-Lago. Here's your billion dollar check.

by Anonymousreply 268September 28, 2019 2:17 PM

"... wtf kind of "official travel" would the US AG have over there?"

He heard from the (small) handful of straight Priests that Callista gives incredible blowjobs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269September 28, 2019 2:21 PM

I love how Repugs think Lady Whore Gingrich being appointed ambassador to the Vatican gives both her and her asshole spouse the veneer of respectability. The Vatican is one of the most corrupt, morally bankrupt places on the planet, the perfect place for Mr. and Mrs. Gingrich.

by Anonymousreply 270September 28, 2019 2:31 PM

R267, yes, nothing says "I'm innocent" like leaving the country to avoid a subpoena.

by Anonymousreply 271September 28, 2019 2:42 PM

I read Pompeo has twice ignored subpeonas related to this matter.

by Anonymousreply 272September 28, 2019 2:43 PM

Who expected Della to be a water carrier for the Republicans?

Who knew Della is a defeatist Concern Troll?

Glad she outed herself in her anti-Hillary posts.

by Anonymousreply 273September 28, 2019 2:52 PM

Indeed. As soon as one of these sonsofbitches goes to jail for this shit, they will beat a path to proffer

But until that happens, they will continue to lie, Stonewall and ignore subpoenas. But thus far, there has been no consequence.

by Anonymousreply 274September 28, 2019 3:08 PM

In a civil judicial proceeding, you can't simply refuse to provide evidence. If you do, the jury is entitled to infer that whatever evidence you are withholding (or have destroyed) would conclusively establish facts that support the plaintiff's case. As I understand it, in an impeachment proceeding, the House can use the WH's failure to supply witnesses and documents the same way.

by Anonymousreply 275September 28, 2019 3:09 PM

The term we popularly refer to as "swiftboating" is a tried and true tactic. It is called the Jujitsu Strategy: Use your enemy's strengths against him. I sometimes believe that the younger Dems who join campaigns and run them do not understand that underneath all their technical knowledge and expertise with IT, with focus groups, etc. they need to be warriors. They need to approach the campaigns the way military strategists do. Because Politics is War.

by Anonymousreply 276September 28, 2019 3:11 PM

lol, r273.

by Anonymousreply 277September 28, 2019 3:14 PM

Ignoring the subpeonas worries me too but then I thought: maybe that will be the tipping point. Only a smaller number of either corrupt or really stupid people really believe there isn't substance to this situation that must be examined.

If these creatures won't defend themselves through process, that sends a message that cannot be mistaken. That could really break the dam, of public opinion and Republican solidarity.

My point is, I think something will break the dam, but we won't know what it is yes. There's maybe a rough analogy to the death of Princess Diana. The reaction was certainly helped along by media - and twenty years on we've got social to make it even worse. But fundamentally, they got it wrong, trying to proceed along the lines of business as usual and precedent. Something snapped. It may have been the 'Where is our Queen? Where is her flag?' headline. But something snapped, people came to understand it, and suddenly everything possible to save the situation was done.

I don't think this situation can be saved for the Trump cabal but I mean something very likely could come along to force the Republicans to abandon shit.

by Anonymousreply 278September 28, 2019 3:14 PM

Here's an idea! And, it is something that WE ALL can do!

If you have an appointment with any professional services office ie Doctor's, Dentist's, offices, etc that is playing FOX on the television while you're in the waiting room, then register a complaint. Tell the office that you were/are offended as a patient that you are exposed to such programming. You shouldn't have to scream, yell, or make a scene. Just let the office know that you are very displeased.

by Anonymousreply 279September 28, 2019 4:11 PM

Will no one rid me of this troublesome Constitution!

by Anonymousreply 280September 28, 2019 4:12 PM

I don't understand why anyone takes solace in coward former senator Jeff Flake stating that there would be 30 - 35 Republican senators who would vote for impeachment if the vote was held secretly. What sort of horrible admission is it that there are so many people in the senate who are so cowardly that they won't stand up for their convictions with the public. He, and they, should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 281September 28, 2019 4:13 PM

LOL, R280! As if he cares anything about the Constitution or even acknowledges it exists. Or would have the word "troublesome" in his vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 282September 28, 2019 4:20 PM

[quote]What sort of horrible admission is it that there are so many people in the senate who are so cowardly that they won't stand up for their convictions with the public.

Maybe we should change "red states" to "yellow states."

by Anonymousreply 283September 28, 2019 4:20 PM

[Will no one rid me of this troublesome Constitution!]

I will! I will!

by Anonymousreply 284September 28, 2019 4:51 PM

R252, the Republicans are indeed calling it hearsay, but Trump admitted to it. The phone call summary is damning. The transcript, which the Dems must demand, is probably worse! What an awful, but predictable thing!

by Anonymousreply 285September 28, 2019 4:54 PM

If the Dems lay the case out clearly, and the Senate does not convict, we’ll have a Blue tsunami in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 286September 28, 2019 4:57 PM

Not if the milquetoast Dems don't make sure to make it known to the American people on a daily basis. So far they've mainly sat back and let the Republicans rant and rave and do little to publicly counter the lies being told. The Dems need to get off their asses and learn how to fight fire with fire and stop trying lo look like they're better than that.

by Anonymousreply 287September 28, 2019 5:00 PM

R253, Della, I believe the Russians gave Hillary the flu. That made the difference because she couldn’t campaign like she otherwise would have.

by Anonymousreply 288September 28, 2019 5:08 PM

[quote]So far they've mainly sat back and let the Republicans rant and rave and do little to publicly counter the lies being told.

^^This could be one of the stupider comments in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 289September 28, 2019 5:09 PM

R287 's "The Dems" rant sounds like a talking points memo excerpt.

by Anonymousreply 290September 28, 2019 5:10 PM

Trump gave out Miss Lindsay’s private cel number during the campaign. Can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 291September 28, 2019 5:13 PM

Bullshit! The main people who hear what little the Dems say to counter all the Republican bullshit are the people who already know what kind of scum Trump is. And when they do say anything at all it's so watered down and PC it's enough to make one sick. They need to lower themselves to Trump's level. That's the only thing his supporters listen to.

by Anonymousreply 292September 28, 2019 5:15 PM

Again with "The Dems" like a moronic poster in Above Top Secret or some other QAnon MAGA site...

by Anonymousreply 293September 28, 2019 5:17 PM

Handy impeachment primer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294September 28, 2019 5:19 PM

[quote] Bullshit! The main people who hear what little the Dems say to counter all the Republican bullshit are the people who already know what kind of scum Trump is.

Did you maybe miss the news that "the Dems" are trying to impeach Trump?

by Anonymousreply 295September 28, 2019 5:21 PM

“At this point, [Trump] could be caught walking out of a Federal Reserve bank with two giant sacks of money in his hands and no Republican would vote to impeach him for grand larceny,” said a senior Senate GOP aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

“Our voters want two things from their congressmen: [dumping] on the media and blindly defending the president,” the aide added. “That’s what being a Republican has come to.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296September 28, 2019 5:22 PM

Michael Weiss:

Kurt Volker’s resignation is what I’m most interested in. If a former staffer for John McCain, and the head of the McCain Institute, got Donald Trump impeached—how fucking poetic would that be? Better than Banquo’s ghost.

by Anonymousreply 297September 28, 2019 5:25 PM

R296 those idiots CREATED those voters in their blind lust for power. It's too late to whine about it now.

by Anonymousreply 298September 28, 2019 5:27 PM

R292: WTF makes you think "Trump's supporters" will listen to (much less believe) anything the Democrats say, regardless of how "low" they go? Those folks will only hear what they want to hear - and what they want to hear is spewing forth from Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham, and Pirro.

by Anonymousreply 299September 28, 2019 5:30 PM

[quote] If Nancy et al explain things properly, he’ll be convicted

He will not be convicted. The senate is GOP and Mitch McConnell will see to it that all GOP senators vote against conviction. The plan is that they won’t convict him and Trump and the GOP treat it as a vindication for Trump and a defeat for the democrats. It will be a celebration. “I won and democrats lose again. They can’t touch me because I’m innocent and always have bee. Now let’s back to MAGA; something Dems hate. They hate America they don’t want it to be great.”

I have no faith in either the GOP or the American electorate. They’ve all shown us who they are. Believe them

by Anonymousreply 300September 28, 2019 5:32 PM

Let's not forget all the enablers who helped cover the fuckery up: like mcmaster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301September 28, 2019 5:33 PM

[quote] Did you maybe miss the news that "the Dems" are trying to impeach Trump?

I'm not just talking about just what comes out of Trump's mouth, but what comes out of the mouths of his people, like Giuliani, Conway, and the Trump lovers at FAUX news. What comes out of their mouths is the only thing his supporters hear. And the Democrats in Congress rarely publicly counter what these people say.

by Anonymousreply 302September 28, 2019 5:33 PM

At this point, this is like Watergate when the tapes were discovered. It will take time but once the public hears Trump making deals with Putin or others it will turn the public against him in huge numbers. God only knows what kind of treasonous shit he said. Add to that, his erratic behavior. As he becomes more desperate he will only add to his crimes. With Nixon, there were not enough votes to convict until the tapes were revealed. We could see McConnell make that walk to the White House to tell Asshat that if he does not resign he will be the first American President to be removed from office. It could happen.

by Anonymousreply 303September 28, 2019 5:40 PM

You just know that R302 is DYING to shout out "LIBTARDS!" instead of his constant "The Dems" but he's trying to stay in character as detailed in his talking points script.

by Anonymousreply 304September 28, 2019 5:40 PM

Read the bio of Kurt Volker. These are the guys who run the world - guys you never heard of. People keep saying he was in the Obama administration. He was only a temporary holdover from the Bush administration until Obama got around to replacing him a few months after being inaugurated. Reminder, there are a gazillion people a new president has to vet and appoint. Volker has always worked for republicans. He not one of ours. He set up Giuliani with Zelenskyy’s guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305September 28, 2019 5:43 PM

On a side note, does anyone else find Ukraine prez Volodymyr Zelensky hot? I would enjoy fucking him hard.

by Anonymousreply 306September 28, 2019 5:47 PM

Hot piece of ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307September 28, 2019 5:49 PM

Does anyone know what Cheeto is up to today?

He's not tweeting, which is surprising.

by Anonymousreply 308September 28, 2019 5:51 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I assumed it would be a Mar A Go Low weekend but maybe he's trapped in the White House with Kellyanne and a Ouija board, trying to figure out what the fuck to do now.

by Anonymousreply 309September 28, 2019 5:52 PM

He stayed in the WH this weekend, huddled with lawyers -- and I would imagine, Corey Lewandowski, who he wants to head the "throw all the shit at the Democrats we can" anti-impeachment campaign.

by Anonymousreply 310September 28, 2019 5:55 PM

I thought he went golfing with The Senatrice

by Anonymousreply 311September 28, 2019 6:01 PM

I also think that the Republican donor class is done with him. Elizabeth Warren is surging, and that's more terrifying than a Trump impeachment. If they get Trump out quickly enough, the donor class can find a moderate candidate to primary a compromised Pence.

by Anonymousreply 312September 28, 2019 6:03 PM

Dumbass KamalaHarris is trying to make it all about her by calling for Kavanaugh impeachment...again.

Bitch, FOCUS. This is about Trump. We lost senators in 2018 because the Kavanaugh hearing did not play in Peoria. This is an international scandal. Fade, girl.

by Anonymousreply 313September 28, 2019 6:16 PM

[quote] At this point, this is like Watergate when the tapes were discovered. It will take time but once the public hears Trump making deals with Putin or others it will turn the public against him in huge numbers. God only knows what kind of treasonous shit he said.

I agree with eldergay. If the impeachment trial were held today with the evidence out there, GOP senators wouldn't convict. But in the next two weeks, god only knows what kind of stuff is going to come out. The resignations have already begun, which is a sign that the things yet revealed are really bad.

by Anonymousreply 314September 28, 2019 6:17 PM

[quote] You just know that [R302] is DYING to shout out "LIBTARDS!" instead of his constant "The Dems" but he's trying to stay in character as detailed in his talking points script.

You INCREDIBLE cretin! I can guarantee you I am a far more ardent liberal democrat than you could ever think of being. Mental cases like you should be anesthetized for their own safety. I'm just sad I couldn't meet you so I could spit in your face. You pathetic piece of human excrement.

by Anonymousreply 315September 28, 2019 6:54 PM

R315 sounds like the very model of an ardent liberal Democrat. Somewhere, Eleanor Roosevelt is smiling.

by Anonymousreply 316September 28, 2019 6:59 PM

R315, why are you so upset? Seriously. It's just a message board.

by Anonymousreply 317September 28, 2019 7:02 PM

He threw the charge “traitor” at the WB because the charge was thrown at him. It’s his usual projection.

by Anonymousreply 318September 28, 2019 7:02 PM

LOL, R316!

by Anonymousreply 319September 28, 2019 7:03 PM

[quote] I also think that the Republican donor class is done with him.

At least the Mercers are done with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 320September 28, 2019 7:04 PM

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Trump talks to legal council.

I can picture him sitting in his "little boy" posture, legs apart, arms crossed, pouting expression on his face.

by Anonymousreply 321September 28, 2019 7:08 PM

r315 is using the Republican tactic of "attack brutally" when challenged, with his over the top response. I wasn't entirely sure before about him being a troll, but from that response, it's kind of obvious now.

by Anonymousreply 322September 28, 2019 7:25 PM

[quote]I thought he went golfing with The Senatrice

You're right -- I saw it reported yesterday that he'd canceled golf to consult with his lawyers. But Kyle Griffin tweets:

According to the pool report, Trump has arrived at Trump National Golf Club in Sterling, VA.

This is Trump's 233rd day at a Trump golf club and 306th day at a Trump property as president.

by Anonymousreply 323September 28, 2019 7:31 PM

If he wasn't leaving Washington it's probably because he was meeting with Congresspeople. Otherwise he'd haul the lawyers etc. with him to Mar-a-Lago.

by Anonymousreply 324September 28, 2019 7:36 PM

[quote] We lost senators in 2018 because the Kavanaugh hearing did not play in Peoria.

Which ones?

by Anonymousreply 325September 28, 2019 7:59 PM

And what I'm entirely sure about you R322 is you're the usual DL rabble rousing shitstain with a severe personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 326September 28, 2019 8:04 PM

Damn, r326, that was projection on a Trumpian level.

by Anonymousreply 327September 28, 2019 8:09 PM

r325, Claire McCaskill and Heidi Heitkamp, possibly, though both were already in trouble before Kavanaugh came along.

by Anonymousreply 328September 28, 2019 8:11 PM

... and I was that whistle blower.

by Anonymousreply 329September 28, 2019 8:16 PM

The was a thread about a week or so ago (I forget which one or I'd link to it) where PollTroll listed about 5 Democrats that were done in by the Kavanaugh confirmation.

by Anonymousreply 330September 28, 2019 8:16 PM

Oooooh, are the t-shirts for sale, R329?

by Anonymousreply 331September 28, 2019 8:17 PM

R253 ["Call me crazy, but I took a different view of Hillary not campaigning in Wisconsin in 2016. I think she assumed voters would know a blatant, overtly self-dealing, bigoted corrupt Con Man, that is Trump when they saw one, and didn't need to be steered away from him."]

I have a theory that I've posted numerous times on various threads since November 2016. A lot of people agree with me, and well, it's not like I'm the only one who came up with this theory and believes it.

My belief is that on top of everything else, Putin was able to hack the election tallies in states. Switch numbers, eliminate votes, etc. Evidence was uncovered in 21 states including Florida, but the press made little mention of it...So the technology is there! Trump gave a rally in Wisconsin a week before the election. Most pundits thought it was a ridiculous move and whoever on his campaign decided to send him there was an idiot...... A week later, he "wins" Wisconsin by less than .5 percent. Suddenly, the campaign person who made that decision was a political genius! Maybe, but what if they already knew they were intending on stealing Wisconsin?, (and other states), There was no guarantee the hacking would succeed, but they still had to make it look plausible. So make sure Trump holds a rally one week before. The belief will be that Trump changed minds.... (if I'm right, Hillary was right about Wisconsin - and lots of other things).

If you look at all the possible but highly improbable results of the 2016 election, but look at them from back to front considering what we know now, it becomes more and more obvious tallies could have been rigged. In no way, shape or form is Donald Trump a legitimate president!

by Anonymousreply 332September 28, 2019 8:51 PM

R279 That kind of doesn't work if it's during the day. Shep Smith, Chris Wallace, (and occasionally) Bret Baire have been delivering factual news. .In fact, Shep is currently in battle with the Prime Time Trump Trio about the lies they are sprouting. As hard as it is to believe, Fox does actually have a News Division with ethical journalists, but nobody watches them. It's the evil Trump Trio of Carlson, Hannity, Ingraham, and a few on the weekend Prime time including "Judge" Jeanine Pirro. They should all be thrown into a grease pit!

by Anonymousreply 333September 28, 2019 8:58 PM

R332 you're exactly right. That's what went down. Remember that number people 77,744 votes. Scott Walker was never going to allow Wisconsin to go Democratic. Hillary could have rented a house and camped out in Wisconsin for weeks and nothing would have helped. THere are people out here determined to blame her for the loss even though we all know by now the fucking election was stolen.

by Anonymousreply 334September 28, 2019 9:00 PM

R334 There are many other examples as well. Specific ones. If I had time I'd lay out a few, but I don't have the time and it all kind of seems irrelevant now.

The thing I'm getting more and more pissed about is: If a simple nobody like me suspected this and came up with this theory, why didn't Hillary or Obama or anyone of these people we've been counting on? Why did Hillary fold so easily? I'm such an idiot, I believed that the Dems knew it was rigged and there was some secret plan (yes, DEEP STATE), in progress and Hillary had to keep quiet until the truth came out. Damn, why didn't she yell and scream - like any Republican would have and has done in the past? I guess the Dems are just great at being bullied! One exception, however, is Stacey Abrams in Georgia. She still hasn't conceded. Why couldn't Hilary have been more like her?

by Anonymousreply 335September 28, 2019 9:11 PM

Are we really relitigating the 2016 election?! Focus, Christ!

by Anonymousreply 336September 28, 2019 9:13 PM

No, we're looking back at its anomalies in light of what's become known since.

I want to know more about the communication between servers in Trump Tower and Alfa Bank. Clearly Trump and his campaign were talking to Russian money people (and in Russia all big money goes back to Putin).

by Anonymousreply 337September 28, 2019 9:18 PM

Obama made Hillary concede R335. She didn't want to. As much as anyone Barack is responsible for what happened in 2016. He was more concerned with his place in history than exposing Russian interference, a stolen election and Comey's smear campaign.

by Anonymousreply 338September 28, 2019 9:19 PM

R337 no, you're just inventing stuff and sharing conspiracy theories that help no one, based on assumptions about things we already knew. There's actual crimes that have proof staring you in the face.

by Anonymousreply 339September 28, 2019 9:21 PM

"As much as anyone Barack is responsible for what happened in 2016. "

What horseshit, r338. We KNOW who are real enemies are--Putin and Trump and their entire posse.

by Anonymousreply 340September 28, 2019 9:23 PM

*who our real enemies are

by Anonymousreply 341September 28, 2019 9:24 PM

R338, blaming the black man.

by Anonymousreply 342September 28, 2019 9:25 PM

R338, you are patently insane, pure and simple.

by Anonymousreply 343September 28, 2019 9:27 PM

R338, R335 here. I believe Barack Obama was the most honest and ethical President in my lifetime! I loved him. Unfortunately, I think I'm in agreement with you, (at least somewhat). I'm sort of in denial about it because, well, it's just too devastating for me to fully accept.

by Anonymousreply 344September 28, 2019 9:27 PM

Or r338 is just a tedious troll. Your choice.

by Anonymousreply 345September 28, 2019 9:28 PM

R344... for Christ's sake... get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 346September 28, 2019 9:29 PM

Putin’s man gave Hillary pneumonia. It’s an effective idea, and limited her campaigning ability.

by Anonymousreply 347September 28, 2019 9:30 PM

Unless I missed it, old walrus ass Chris Christie has been conspicuously silent since this brouhaha started. I wonder if he's running (or more likely rolling) scared for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 348September 28, 2019 9:31 PM

R348, You did miss it. Christie was interviewed on Good Morning America, the morning the transcript was released. What he said was quite funny. Something along the lines of "as long as Trump didn't say 'Do me a favor'. I'm sure there is a video clip somewhere.....

by Anonymousreply 349September 28, 2019 9:35 PM

The “Do me a favor...” is a real mafiosa saying. It’s often followed by “go fuck yourself”.

by Anonymousreply 350September 28, 2019 9:38 PM

The Democrats are trying to take away healthcare?

Desperation here....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351September 28, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote][R337] no, you're just inventing stuff and sharing conspiracy theories that help no one, based on assumptions about things we already knew. There's actual crimes that have proof staring you in the face.

??? The Alfa Bank-Trump Tower connection is a conspiracy theory? It's been established that there was communication leading up to the election, and given Trump's other connections to Russia it's worth exploring. These threads are for drawing evidence together and looking at Trump's whole record, the whole context of the "crimes that have proof staring you in the face," so enough with your hall monitoring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352September 28, 2019 9:43 PM

People have a hard time with the truth. I didn't say Obama was the cause, I said he could have circumvented it, drawn attention to the evidence of Russian tampering, either before or immediately following the election results. He was hoping for a better outcome. The Comey letter in the last 2 weeks of the campaign was totally without merit and highly suspicious too. Barack did nothing. He KNEW. It's well known that he insisted Hillary concede when she had no desire to. Some of us were there at Tillary and Clinton. For a whole fucking year. How dare you call me a troll. I loved Obama too. Still do, for his best qualities. But they're not all good. Even his final speeches as president told people that the future was in their hands. Well, it wasn't a month before was it? Not really. This is not a conspiracy theory. Obama and Michelle will go on to do great things for Americans. But he had no interest in justice or fair play, or to be honest - in supporting Hillary in the final days of his term. He underestimated the damage that Trump would do. Obama's legacy is now as tarnished as the rest.

What Obama didn't do for black people is far more historically significant that giving a big up to gay marriage. OLD gay men are as narrow focused as any other "identity" politics characters. It's disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 353September 28, 2019 9:44 PM

R353 A very thoughtful and articulate post. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 354September 28, 2019 9:47 PM

"But he had no interest in justice or fair play, or to be honest - in supporting Hillary in the final days of his term. He underestimated the damage that Trump would do. Obama's legacy is now as tarnished as the rest."

Anyone who says this is no "Barack" lover and has no relationship with truth.

Troll.

by Anonymousreply 355September 28, 2019 9:49 PM

I just don't believe this--not the money, of course. Call me a conspiracist, but I believe the Republicans, (and maybe Democrats too) have some type of organized system set up where they are funneling money through fake accounts to always give the appearance (and grab a headline) that there are "X" number of small donors contributing funds.

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

Eric Trump @EricTrump: UPDATE: We have now raised almost $15 million in small dollar donations (including 50,000 NEW donors) since @SpeakerPelosi started this impeachment charade 72 hrs ago! Unbelievable numbers!! Keep it going — you and the dems are handing @realDonaldTrump the win in 2020! 🤛👍🇺🇸

by Anonymousreply 356September 28, 2019 9:49 PM

The fact of the matter is he committed a crime. It is provable and punishable.

by Anonymousreply 357September 28, 2019 9:51 PM

[quote] I didn't say Obama was the cause, I said he could have circumvented it, drawn attention to the evidence of Russian tampering, either before or immediately following the election results. He was hoping for a better outcome. The Comey letter in the last 2 weeks of the campaign was totally without merit and highly suspicious too. Barack did nothing. He KNEW. It's well known that he insisted Hillary concede when she had no desire to....

What do you believe he should have done, R353?

by Anonymousreply 358September 28, 2019 9:52 PM

Also "drop dead", r350...

by Anonymousreply 359September 28, 2019 9:57 PM

How do you impeach a President who has created the greatest Economy in the history of our Country, entirely rebuilt our Military into the most powerful it has ever been, Cut Record Taxes & Regulations, fixed the VA & gotten Choice for our Vets (after 45 years), & so much more?...

by Anonymousreply 360September 28, 2019 10:11 PM

r360 when that president shows up let me know?

by Anonymousreply 361September 28, 2019 10:20 PM

EXXCUSE ME... whats the point of this thread again? There is already the impeachment investigation thread series. Please direct your traffic there and stop wasting precious viewing space for thong at the beach type threads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362September 28, 2019 10:23 PM

Nevada Republican Rep. Mark Amodei said Friday he supports the process playing out in the formal impeachment inquiry into Donald Trump, but said he does not support impeaching the President.

Amodei is the first House Republican to publicly show support for the inquiry since House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's announcement of the probe this week.

"Let's put it through the process and see what happens," Amodei said on a call with reporters, according to audio posted by The Nevada Independent.

"In no way, shape, or form, did I indicate support for impeachment," Amodei clarified in a later statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363September 28, 2019 10:28 PM

I’m not a fan of the 4,000 Treason Pun threads. This one is fine.

by Anonymousreply 364September 28, 2019 11:31 PM

The case has to be rock solid in the eyes of the public. LIke irrefutable he is fucking guilty because it takes a supermajority of the senate to impeach. The only way that will happen is with the court of public opinion.

by Anonymousreply 365September 28, 2019 11:49 PM

Okay, R356; you're a conspiracist.

All of the whack-job talk of conspiracy theories does no one any good. Hillary isn't ever going to be president no matter how much you/we hoped that would be the case. Let. It. Go. Worry about the present day; there's plenty here to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 366September 28, 2019 11:57 PM

I fucking hate Republicans. Every goddamn one of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367September 29, 2019 12:14 AM

The Trump administration is investigating the email records of dozens of current and former senior State Department officials who sent messages to then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s private email, reviving a politically toxic matter that overshadowed the 2016 election, current and former officials said.

As many as 130 officials have been contacted in recent weeks by State Department investigators — a list that includes senior officials who reported directly to Clinton as well as others in lower-level jobs whose emails were at some point relayed to her inbox, said current and former State Department officials. Those targeted were notified that emails they sent years ago have been retroactively classified and now constitute potential security violations, according to letters reviewed by The Washington Post.

In virtually all of the cases, potentially sensitive information, now recategorized as “classified,” was sent to Clinton’s unsecure inbox.

State Department investigators began contacting the former officials about 18 months ago, after President Trump’s election, and then seemed to drop the effort before picking it up in August, officials said.

Senior State Department officials said that they are following standard protocol in an investigation that began during the latter days of the Obama administration and is nearing completion.

“This has nothing to do with who is in the White House,” said a senior State Department official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about an ongoing probe. “This is about the time it took to go through millions of emails, which is about 3½ years.”

To many of those under scrutiny, including some of the Democratic Party’s top foreign policy experts, the recent flurry of activity surrounding the Clinton email case represents a new front on which the Trump administration could be accused of employing the powers of the executive branch against perceived political adversaries.

The existence of the probe follows revelations that the president used multiple levers of his office to pressure the leader of Ukraine to pursue investigations that Trump hoped would produce damaging information about Democrats, including potential presidential rival Joe Biden.

(It continues, but WaPo is acting up and I can't copy/paste the rest of it).

by Anonymousreply 368September 29, 2019 12:15 AM

"Those targeted were notified that emails they sent years ago have been retroactively classified and now constitute potential security violations, according to letters reviewed by The Washington Post."

by Anonymousreply 369September 29, 2019 12:21 AM

R367: Definition of fascism:

A political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, [bold] and forcible suppression of opposition [/bold]

We’re finally getting to the part in bold.

by Anonymousreply 370September 29, 2019 12:23 AM

[quote]Hillary isn't ever going to be president no matter how much you/we hoped that would be the case. Let. It. Go.

I have, R366. I have long ago. I don't know why you even bring up Hillary Clinton. It's obvious that you missed the point I was making.

by Anonymousreply 371September 29, 2019 12:38 AM

Mike Pompeo is investigating Hillary’s emails according to bombshell Washington Post report

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372September 29, 2019 12:42 AM

^They're flailing now

by Anonymousreply 373September 29, 2019 12:43 AM

He should be investigating Trump's tweets since he has already tweeted classified information, as well as Ivanka using her personal email to send classified information. I think these people fail to understand they are supposed to uphold the law of the land, not the will of the leader.

by Anonymousreply 374September 29, 2019 12:46 AM

Exactly, r373.

by Anonymousreply 375September 29, 2019 12:46 AM

Investigating a political opponent using government resources is one of the first signs of fascism.

by Anonymousreply 376September 29, 2019 12:49 AM

Witch hunt indeed.

by Anonymousreply 377September 29, 2019 12:56 AM

A comment from the WashPo article:

The entire federal government is now just one big criminal organization under a lunatic sociopath. Barr and Pompeo are equally sunk in the vile, corrupt slime that coats everything Trump touches, although these two come to it naturally. Congrats America, we are now some two-bit banana republic ruled by a lead paint-eating despot.

by Anonymousreply 378September 29, 2019 12:59 AM

[quote]Investigating a political opponent using government resources is one of the first signs of fascism.

I don't even think that the Trump people are even thinking like that R376. To me they're just using buzz words, (Hillary Clinton), in hopes of just triggering their base. What will this be? Investigation number 1000?

by Anonymousreply 379September 29, 2019 12:59 AM

Another comment:

I urge everyone to pick up a copy of political activist and former world chess champion Garry Kasparov’s book “Winter is Coming.”

The parallels of how Putin took (stole) power slowly bit by bit is frighteningly similar to what is happening here in the U.S. with Trump. Prosecuting political enemies, attacking news organizations, journalists and our free press, siphoning our tax dollars into his properties, rewarding those who "play ball", etc.

Congress is derelict in its duty to protect us citizens. You must impeach and remove this traitor, dictator-wannabe, criminal thug as soon as possible ... or our country is done.

by Anonymousreply 380September 29, 2019 1:00 AM

[quote]Congress is derelict in its duty to protect us citizens.

REPUBLICANS are derelict in their duty to protect us citizens.

I fixed it for you.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 381September 29, 2019 1:03 AM

The emails I'm getting from Trump are increasingly FREQUENT and INSANE:

[quote] We just sent President Trump a list of everyone who’s contributed toward our Q3 fundraising goal, and he couldn’t believe that your name was still MISSING.

[quote] In this impeachment fight, you’re either with President Trump or you’re with Nancy Pelosi, Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and their unhinged SOCIALIST MOB...

[quote] This is so important that we’ve extended our QUADRUPLE-MATCH offer another 24 hours until 11:59 PM TONIGHT.

by Anonymousreply 382September 29, 2019 1:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383September 29, 2019 1:04 AM

[quote]The was a thread about a week or so ago (I forget which one or I'd link to it) where PollTroll listed about 5 Democrats that were done in by the Kavanaugh confirmation.

Not quite. What he said was that the Kavanaugh confirmation hurt some of the Democratic candidates in red states, like McCaskill in Missouri and Heitkamp in North Dakota. He didn't say that it caused their defeat; just that it caused their poll numbers to drop by a bit.

by Anonymousreply 384September 29, 2019 1:07 AM

Ya know... I just heard the Jon Voight nonsense. He said that the left are angry. Ted Cruz said the left are angry, This one and that one says that the left are angry. Has someone asked any of these people why they feel the left are angry?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385September 29, 2019 1:16 AM

Here are the Sunday morning lineups....

ABC's "This Week": Rudy Giuliani, President Donald Trump's personal lawyer; Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif.

NBC's "Meet the Press": Schiff; Steve Scalise, R-La.; Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif.

CBS' "Face the Nation": Giuliani; Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Chris Murphy, D-Conn.; Reps. Will Hurd, R-Texas, and Terri Sewell, D-Ala.

CNN's "State of the Union": Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J.; Reps. Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., Hakeem Jeffries, D-N.Y., and Jim Jordan, R-Ohio.

"Fox News Sunday": White House senior adviser Stephen Miller; Jeffries.

by Anonymousreply 386September 29, 2019 1:24 AM

Is this new resuscitation of the Hillary emails thing going to solidify his base, who have heard it over and over, let alone win over enough of the middle? My sense (admittedly I don't think like a Trump supporter) is that the middle and left will roll their eyes, and he'll actually lose some support because it's such an obviously threadbare move—a sign that he has nothing. And it might even stir up more opposition than it solidifies support.

I'd say a similar thing about his and his supporters' repeated claim that the impeachment inquiry is just a distraction from getting legislation passed. For every voter that claim persuades, isn't there a voter it reminds that he actually hasn't had an active legislative program except for (unpopular) tax cuts for the rich and overturning health insurance?

by Anonymousreply 387September 29, 2019 1:25 AM

R382, it kills me when Trump calls other people “unhinged” or similar. Maybe he doesn’t know what it means? Otherwise I can’t imagine why he draws attention to himself that way.

by Anonymousreply 388September 29, 2019 1:28 AM

Projection r388

by Anonymousreply 389September 29, 2019 1:31 AM

R387, my first thought was that he had ordered State Department staff to try to find out if there was any way to connect Hilary's staff, the emails, and Biden, to create some giant conspiracy/corruption narrative. (Projection, of course).

by Anonymousreply 390September 29, 2019 1:37 AM

(tweeted an hour ago)

"Rudy Giuliani @RudyGiuliani

I appeal to honest and fair minded Democrats to realize that “equal treatment under law” is necessary for domestic tranquillity. We are all Americans. The differing treatment by media and law enforcement for Trumps vs. Bidens and Clintons is a real problem for all of us to solve."

To me, this reeks of desperation. So too is the announcement of ANOTHER Hillary Clinton email investigation.

by Anonymousreply 391September 29, 2019 1:38 AM

Americans should already be in the streets, but I guess it's easier to tweet than to march.

by Anonymousreply 392September 29, 2019 1:39 AM

Tomorrow morning's news shows are going to be wild, I bet.

by Anonymousreply 393September 29, 2019 1:39 AM

The whole Biden thing was invented by Trump with not a shred of evidence of any illegality. It’s truly unAmerican.

by Anonymousreply 394September 29, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]The whole Biden thing was invented by Trump with not a shred of evidence of any illegality. It’s truly unAmerican.

Of course it is, R394. But. here's the danger, (in my opinion) with that; Clearly this Administration and the Republicans are working with the attitude of if you repeat something over and over again that people will eventually believe it.

by Anonymousreply 395September 29, 2019 1:45 AM

I would think that it has now reached the point that instead of the media being afraid of being called liberal and biased that it would be offended and look to rip the heads off of this Administration and its supporters.

by Anonymousreply 396September 29, 2019 1:49 AM

Let him go after Hillary all he wants. She'll be fine and he'll be wasting his time fighting a fight that was over years ago. Meanwhile, it won't divert anyone from him and his bozo mafia.

by Anonymousreply 397September 29, 2019 2:01 AM

Wall Street Journal:

On more than one occasion, John Kelly, who was often in the room during calls with world leaders, briefly muted the line so he could caution President Trump against continuing to talk about sensitive subjects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398September 29, 2019 2:02 AM

AP:

"So, suddenly, Washington is different and the history of Trump’s presidency has changed. By year’s end, he could become only the third American president impeached by the House of Representatives."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399September 29, 2019 2:06 AM

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

The only people that don’t like my conversation with the new Ukrainian President are those that heard Rep. Adam Schiff read a made up and totally fraudulent statement to the House and public, words that I did not say but that he fabricated (& admitted to this fabrication). Sick!

FLAILING!

by Anonymousreply 400September 29, 2019 2:12 AM

“White House was also embarrassed when it was reported #Trump had congratulated #Putin on a phone call shortly after a Russian election widely seen as illegitimate. White House staff had written a memo specifically recommending Trump "do not congratulate””.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401September 29, 2019 2:17 AM

Julia Ioffe wrote a great article back in July 2018. Her claim was that The Presidency WAS the quid pro quo Putin gave to Trump. What we just learned about Trump's conversation in the oval office with the Russian diplomats validates her claim.. Its a good read,,,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402September 29, 2019 2:26 AM

AP reports that AG William Barr was “surprised and angry” to discover he had been lumped in with Rudy Giuliani by the president.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403September 29, 2019 2:27 AM

"Through their collective silence, Republicans are telling the American people they either tolerate or condone the president’s actions...normalizing behavior by the president that is far beyond past standards."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404September 29, 2019 2:30 AM

If Barr cancels that party he booked at Trump Hotel, that'll be ...interesting...

by Anonymousreply 405September 29, 2019 2:41 AM

Chris Christie has made numerous comments on the growing scandal, not just on ABC but in other venues, as he's promoting the opening of his new institute promoting bi-partisanship. He initially said that Trump would be in trouble if he used the phrase "Do me a favor...." When it turned out Trump used that phrase, Christie dialed it back and said that's just the way that Trump talks. He's hasn't said that Trump didn't do it, he's just positioned it that Trump does what he wants and Congress has shown itself incapable of reining him in. His advice to Trump was to find out the facts - this echoes his advice during Muellergate, that Trump should do an internal investigation to find out what really happened (advice that Trump ignored). Christie gives this same advice whenever some politician has a scandal, based on his Bridgegate experience.

Christie was also asked if this would hurt Biden. Christie said that in the short-term it helps Biden, because it forces the other Democrats to support him, but in the long run, it's going to come up again some time in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 406September 29, 2019 3:13 AM

R406 Chris Christie starting a foundation for bipartisanship? He really has no ethics or soul, does he. What a cynical boob.

by Anonymousreply 407September 29, 2019 3:17 AM

Dear Rudy Guiliani - when anyone named Trump testifies before Congress for 19 hours...then we will have equal treatment under the law.

by Anonymousreply 408September 29, 2019 3:17 AM

Meanwhile, r372, the House will be investigating him. Stupid twat.

by Anonymousreply 409September 29, 2019 3:19 AM

[quote]Trump should do an internal investigation to find out what really happened

We already KNOW what happened.

by Anonymousreply 410September 29, 2019 3:26 AM

So does Trump, r410, because he instigated the felonies (plural).

by Anonymousreply 411September 29, 2019 3:29 AM

Trump is so brazen. The timing of this current inquisition is exactly the kind of thing that stands out with the Ukraine problem - release of the money immediately following.the whole thing becoming public knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 412September 29, 2019 3:37 AM

Christie started the Christie Institute at his alma mater. The plan is to have quarterly lectures related to bi-partisanship, as well as scholarships and internships for students that want to focus their careers in public policy. They just had the first speakers - Christie and Andrew Cuomo, talking about how although they were from different parties, they were able to work together, particularly on Hurricane Sandy aid.

by Anonymousreply 413September 29, 2019 3:49 AM

[quote]Investigating a political opponent using government resources is one of the first signs of fascism.

HRC is not even a political opponent anymore, and I agree that the new "but her emails" investigation is so transparently desperate that it will fizzle at least, backfire at most.

by Anonymousreply 414September 29, 2019 4:52 AM

So according to PoliticalWire:

“The Republican leadership issued a memo Saturday clarifying that the Senate must take action if the House of Representatives approves articles of impeachment against President Trump,” the HuffPost reports.

“The statement came in response to concerns that the Senate could simply refuse to hold a trial.”

by Anonymousreply 415September 29, 2019 1:04 PM

Apparently Rudy has been fucking around in the Ukraine for year...this is going to be interesting. It would be hilarious if Rudy goes to prison too.

by Anonymousreply 416September 29, 2019 1:05 PM

Off topic -" Ukraine" is the country, it's not " The Ukraine." Just substitute " Spain." We would never say " The Spain." SO .......... " his trips to Ukraine."

by Anonymousreply 417September 29, 2019 1:14 PM

and it's not The Whole Foods either!

by Anonymousreply 418September 29, 2019 1:17 PM

I want Rudy to be at least disbarred.

by Anonymousreply 419September 29, 2019 1:17 PM

‘I wish he would shut the heck up’: Republicans sour on Giuliani--Even some of president's closest Hill allies say Giuliani isn't helping the president.

Republicans had enough headaches to deal with this week. Then Hurricane Rudy blew into town.

As the GOP scrambles to contain the fallout from President Donald Trump’s Ukraine controversy, Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani has inserted himself directly into the center of a crisis that has engulfed the White House and brought impeachment closer to Trump’s doorstep. And Republicans want him to stop.

"I have great respect for Mr. Giuliani, but I said this yesterday and take it for what it's worth: He's wild as a March hare,” said Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.). “He's like a lot of senators, he's kind of a free range chicken, he kind of gets out there. What he says is his business, I don't speak for him."

Others put it more bluntly.

“I think it would be a good thing if he would go take a vacation,” a senior GOP lawmaker told POLITICO, one of several who declined to go on the record so they could speak critically of Giuliani.

Even some of Trump’s top allies on Capitol Hill don’t think Giuliani is doing the president or the party any favors by being such a constant presence in the media.

“Rudy’s saying a lot of things and I’m not sure he’s helping the president by being on TV every 15 minutes,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) told reporters this week.

by Anonymousreply 420September 29, 2019 1:22 PM

"The Ukraine" was the normal way of referring to the country in English until its independence in 1991, when for some reason the definite article stopped being used. Those of us who came of age before then sometimes slip and use the old style.

by Anonymousreply 421September 29, 2019 1:24 PM

I just call it "Zagreb", because that's the only city name I know in the Ukraine and it sounds funny.

by Anonymousreply 422September 29, 2019 1:42 PM

The thing about all the nonsense that Rudy spews: who would ever have thought the Rs could make an effective weapon of Hillary’s emails? Even now, if you ask a Deplorable what the problem with them was, they either won’t know; or they’ll list something that is not illegal or even immoral; or they will list something that is factually wrong. So, Rudy just throws everything against the wall to see what sticks, and it could be anything, apparently!

I’m sure Hillary was dumbstruck when the accusations started and figured it would subside when people realized how empty the charges were.

by Anonymousreply 423September 29, 2019 1:46 PM

R422, Zagreb, is in Croatia, unless there are two, I believe. Kiev is in Ukraine, though. You could use that.

by Anonymousreply 424September 29, 2019 1:48 PM

Chicken Kiev is good.

by Anonymousreply 425September 29, 2019 1:52 PM

[quote]Mike Pompeo is investigating Hillary’s emails according to bombshell Washington Post report... They're flailing now

They been doing it at least six months now. He MUST have his revenge and if this hadn't happened they might have railroaded her just like they wanted fake dirt on Biden backed up by the President of Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 426September 29, 2019 2:07 PM

[quote]Those targeted were notified that emails they sent years ago have been retroactively classified and now constitute potential security violations, according to letters reviewed by The Washington Post.

Ex post facto is unconstitutional. Not that his base will care ...

by Anonymousreply 427September 29, 2019 2:13 PM

Cheeto has tweeted or retweeted about 20 times RE: Mark Levin on Fox this morning.

He's fucking insane.

by Anonymousreply 428September 29, 2019 2:17 PM

Can it be that Trump is panicked that his base may abandon him? If he is, now, that is proof that the cheese is off the cracker.

They'll follow him off a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 429September 29, 2019 2:28 PM

I've never seen his retweet so frantically.

by Anonymousreply 430September 29, 2019 2:29 PM

R429 no, he is furious at being challenged and is throwing everything out to see what sticks.

by Anonymousreply 431September 29, 2019 2:31 PM

[quote]"The Ukraine" was the normal way of referring to the country in English until its independence in 1991, when for some reason the definite article stopped being used. Those of us who came of age before then sometimes slip and use the old style.

It was "normal" because it was referring to the Ukraine region of the Soviet Union.

by Anonymousreply 432September 29, 2019 2:33 PM

Also, why would the Secretary of State be investigating something?

by Anonymousreply 433September 29, 2019 2:34 PM

Hopefully this renewed focus on trying to lock Hillary up will intensify focus on Javanka's emails along with that secret server.

I believe that the impeachment process will eventually uncover that Cheeto and his crumbs knew in advance about the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, if not approved or suggested it.

by Anonymousreply 434September 29, 2019 2:37 PM

Because he's slime, R433, and because these were State Department communications, to and from members of the State Department. From the WP account, he's not personally investigating but it's pretty clear that the Secretary of State would have to have approved the investigation.

[quote]The probe is being carried out by investigators from the State Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security.

[quote]Several of those who have been questioned said that the State Department Bureau of Diplomatic Security investigators made it clear that they were pursuing the matter reluctantly, and under external pressure.

by Anonymousreply 435September 29, 2019 2:40 PM

Who is Mark Levin and what is he saying to make Plumpy go crazy?

by Anonymousreply 436September 29, 2019 2:40 PM

Hopefully one of the investigators will blow the whistle too.

by Anonymousreply 437September 29, 2019 2:43 PM

He's a rabid right-wing attack dog, R436. Apparently, he defended Trump on Fox News. A sample:

[quote]“I don’t care what the media think,” Mr. Levin said of recent news cycles. “See that over my shoulder [the book ‘Unfreedom of the Press’]? We know that they’re incapable of covering this because of their ideology, but the truth shall set us free. I understand what the Democrats are doing in the House. I understand. They want to destroy the president. They’re using their committees as opposition research. They’re circling the wagons. They’re trying to immunize Biden. What’s going on in the Republican senate? … Oh, Hunter Biden, we can’t touch him. But Don Jr., and Eric, and Jared Kushner and Ivanka — they’re free game? Hell no. We should turn the script. And here’s the difference: Biden is corrupt, Trump is not.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438September 29, 2019 2:44 PM

It's " Ukraine" and " The Data Lounge."

by Anonymousreply 439September 29, 2019 2:50 PM

"And here’s the difference: Biden is corrupt, Trump is not.”

by Anonymousreply 440September 29, 2019 3:00 PM

The statute of limitations on the email stuff is 5 years, so Hillary and associates are safe; however, it seems like an abuse of power to me, by the administration. That’s an impeachable offense.

by Anonymousreply 441September 29, 2019 3:01 PM

My Grandma once mentioned that she called Cushman-Berk, the car dealer, for help. But it hadn’t been named that in literally 20 years. Didn’t ask where she got the phone number.

by Anonymousreply 442September 29, 2019 3:04 PM

Levin sorta reminds me of that other lunatic, "Coach" Dave Daubenmire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443September 29, 2019 3:04 PM

R441, per the Washington Post article, it's not about criminal prosecution, as none of these cases is being prosecuted. It's about harassment and keeping "but her emails" fresh in the minds of their base.

by Anonymousreply 444September 29, 2019 3:11 PM

[quote]who would ever have thought the Rs could make an effective weapon of Hillary’s emails?

I wonder will they investigate the Trump emails and the same thing that they are accusing Hillary Clinton of?

On another note. the Trump pundits are falling apart this morning:

Oliver Darcy @oliverdarcy

"Sir, that's not what happened"

Worth watching this entire @jaketapper interview with @Jim_Jordan. Jordan tries floating the same talking points he peddles with ease in the right-wing media universe, and they fall apart as Tapper introduces facts into the equation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445September 29, 2019 3:19 PM

Hilary's email bs is tantamount to "I know you are, but what am I?" If tRump or his tRumptards thought about it, it's like saying, "I know what I did was illegal... but her emails!!!" It's classic projection. The only thing is Hilary has long been vindicated. It'd be nice if she'd litigate. There must be some way she can.

by Anonymousreply 446September 29, 2019 3:20 PM

[quote]Who is Mark Levin

Israeli firster.

by Anonymousreply 447September 29, 2019 3:22 PM

The best part was Jake getting in a slam about Jim's own problems of "being accused of things". It was great.

And I can't believe Deplorables can still get riled by Hillary's emails. Aren't even they sick of this?

by Anonymousreply 448September 29, 2019 3:22 PM

Aaron Rupar @atrupar

Jake Tapper called out Jim Jordan for tossing around unfounded allegations about Hunter Biden -- something you'd think Jordan would be more careful about given credible allegations about his role in an Ohio State sexual abuse scandal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449September 29, 2019 3:22 PM

Why is this guy obsessing about someone getting $50K? Like Ivanka and Jared aren't making the same?

by Anonymousreply 450September 29, 2019 3:27 PM

Jim Roberts @nycjim: Wow. Rep. Jim Jordan gets OWNED by @jaketapper

And, below is the Mark Levin interview that the unwashed, including Trump, are pushing;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451September 29, 2019 3:28 PM

[quote]And I can't believe Deplorables can still get riled by Hillary's emails. Aren't even they sick of this?

I doubt very many Deplorables even have a clue as to what was controversial about Hillary's emails in the first place. It's just another mindless right-wing mantra, like "Benghazi!"

by Anonymousreply 452September 29, 2019 3:32 PM

So this morning for the GOP Jordan was destroyed by Tapper, Chris Wallace basically slapped Stephen Miller all over the studio and Lindsey was doing his best hysterical Aunt Pitty Pat on CBS and looked a fool. If that's all they could come up with this morning they are in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 453September 29, 2019 3:36 PM

The Stephen Miller fiasco;

"You have your non-answer" -- watch Chris Wallace grill Stephen Miller about why Trump thought it was appropriate to use his private attorney to dig up dirt on Biden -- and not let Miller get away with obfuscating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454September 29, 2019 3:37 PM

Chris Christie said on This Week that Trump is definitely getting impeached. HIs advice was that the Dems should slow things down so it looks fair.

by Anonymousreply 455September 29, 2019 3:39 PM

[quote]Lindsey was doing his best hysterical Aunt Pitty Pat on CBS and looked a fool.

Trump's self-appointed toady is making himself look increasingly desperate and ridiculous. Hopefully that will come back to bite him in next year's election.

by Anonymousreply 456September 29, 2019 3:45 PM

When you have Chris Christie giving advice to the Democrats on how to get rid of Dump, you know we're all in for a fucking ride on this tsunami of corruption.

by Anonymousreply 457September 29, 2019 3:45 PM

r428 Did anyone else see in that Tweet storm that Trump re-tweeted a parody account called Trump But About Sharks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458September 29, 2019 3:46 PM

[quote] It was "normal" because it was referring to the Ukraine region of the Soviet Union.

Not exactly. No one ever referred to "the Latvia" or "the Kazakhstan." Ukraine originally had a definite article because it was from a term meaning "borderland" and so is analogous to "the Marches" (in various places). In English the usage became fossilized (cf. "the Bronx"). Since 1991, however, normal usage is without the definite article.

by Anonymousreply 459September 29, 2019 3:48 PM

"Fuck 'em!" -

Unbleeped Robert DeNiro just now on CNN when told that Fox viewers will come after him for his remarks about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 460September 29, 2019 3:51 PM

I want to know which one of you bitches this is?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461September 29, 2019 3:55 PM

Dear lord, Stephen Miller will never, ever outgrow his unsocialized Young Republican creepy-college-kid persona.

by Anonymousreply 462September 29, 2019 3:57 PM

Where IS Jared hiding?

by Anonymousreply 463September 29, 2019 3:59 PM

George Stephanopoulos said that Pompeo and Pence will probably be called to testify. That's going to be fun.

by Anonymousreply 464September 29, 2019 4:01 PM

"Where IS Jared hiding?"

Behind Ivanka's beef curtains, as he has always done.

by Anonymousreply 465September 29, 2019 4:01 PM

r463, WH staff have always complained that, conveniently, Jared and Ivanka never seem to be around when the shit hits the fan.

by Anonymousreply 466September 29, 2019 4:04 PM

There will be some article leaked to a friendly outlet soon that says they're "concerned but working behind the scenes to make things right"! Of course it's from Ivanka PR.

by Anonymousreply 467September 29, 2019 4:05 PM

More than Melania, I would say that Ivanka is our First Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 468September 29, 2019 4:19 PM

I wondered today what is Melania thinking right now? What's her game?

by Anonymousreply 469September 29, 2019 4:22 PM

[quote]I wondered today what is Melania thinking right now?

He better not be spending my future alimony money sending that rat-face Rudy all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 470September 29, 2019 4:23 PM

I'm sure Melania would love it if Fecal Cheeto went to jail.

by Anonymousreply 471September 29, 2019 4:25 PM

r469, Melania is having the hot Secret Service dude re-apply the lubricant so they can go at it again.

by Anonymousreply 472September 29, 2019 4:32 PM

So Obama is to blame but McConnell gets a pass? McConnell who refused to cooperate with Obama to publicly tell Russia to back off and stop interefering in our elections?

by Anonymousreply 473September 29, 2019 4:40 PM

Miss Lindsey just had all of her petticoats and pantaloons aflutter! She most certainly was feelin' her vapors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474September 29, 2019 4:47 PM

[quote]I wondered today what is Melania thinking right now?

I really don't care. Do U?

by Anonymousreply 475September 29, 2019 4:52 PM

[quote]and Lindsey was doing his best hysterical Aunt Pitty Pat on CBS

R453, keep that SHIT on your Mueller/Treason/Lindsay threads.

by Anonymousreply 476September 29, 2019 5:14 PM

All we ever hear on “the news” is talking points.

You know what I’d like to see on Sunday shows? Experts on the Ukraine & Russia talking about the situation. Not politicians and partisan cutouts. People with actual knowledge giving background and analysis.

by Anonymousreply 477September 29, 2019 5:16 PM

Melania loves the power being First Whore gives her.

She is NOT looking forward to Trump being deposed. Stop with that ridiculous shit here.

I REALLY DON'T CARE, DO U? is all you need to remember.

by Anonymousreply 478September 29, 2019 5:19 PM

And no one will watch, R477. Save it for PBS.

by Anonymousreply 479September 29, 2019 5:19 PM

Kyle Griffin:

Fox News reported that two frequent guests on the network, Joe diGenova and his wife Victoria Toensing, were "working off the books" to help Rudy Giuliani dig up dirt on Biden—and the only person who knew about their involvement was Trump himself.

by Anonymousreply 480September 29, 2019 5:21 PM

Not "deposed" - "DETHRONED!" is what I meant at R478.

by Anonymousreply 481September 29, 2019 5:21 PM

Exactly, R477. Because at the end of the day, the public needs to understand in the simplest terms why Ukraine is important to us and our national security, and to the rest of Europe and NATO. We need to understand why withholding aide that was already approved by Congress is wrong. Trump has threatened to do similarly to Mexico and other countries. He thinks he is a "tough negotiator" and the dumbasses who support him think so too. To me the small bites the pubic will understand is that he invited a foreign government to interfere in our election and he got caught. Also when he admitted to the Russians that he was glad they helped him, that was the absolute worse. I believe this is a situation where some Audio of Trump groveling to Putin would be great. Even better if we get Putin on tape "advising" Trump, and prodding him to do stuff.

by Anonymousreply 482September 29, 2019 5:29 PM

I have this theory that Melania is being paid quite a lot of money to stay with Donnie and help keep him calm, sort of be his minder, etc. by Putin. I've watched closely the body language when they are with Putin, and it's as if Mel & Vlad have a secret.

by Anonymousreply 483September 29, 2019 5:30 PM

Britain still calls Yemen “the Yemen.”

The Crimea is a thing.

Then there’s the United Staes, the United Kingdom

by Anonymousreply 484September 29, 2019 5:30 PM

God, DLers can get obsessed with the dumbest things. Ukraine is now called Ukraine, regardless of whether that makes sense to you or whether there are historical precedents that could have led to sticking with "the Ukraine." Just called it what it's called and move on, ffs.

by Anonymousreply 485September 29, 2019 5:39 PM

Trump has never realized, or accepted, the fact that being President is not the same as running his own company. As far as he is concerned, the US government is totally his to control and his actions/decisions should not be subject to objection or scrutiny.

by Anonymousreply 486September 29, 2019 5:41 PM

Bohemia!

The Austro-Hungarian Empire!

Gaul!

by Anonymousreply 487September 29, 2019 5:41 PM

Pangea!

by Anonymousreply 488September 29, 2019 5:42 PM

r480, I hope those 2 cunts get disbarred too.

by Anonymousreply 489September 29, 2019 5:42 PM

[quote]God, DLers can get obsessed with the dumbest things. Ukraine is now called Ukraine, regardless of whether that makes sense to you or whether there are historical precedents that could have led to sticking with "the Ukraine." Just called it what it's called and move on, ffs.

Not that you're fixed on something that doesn't matter or anything.

by Anonymousreply 490September 29, 2019 5:42 PM

HESH UP, Miss Don Lemon at R474! Don't make me slap your jaws, missy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491September 29, 2019 5:43 PM

The big thing that scares me about the the possibility of Trump being kicked out before the next election is that Pence becomes POTUS, and will surely run for re-election, and there will undoubtedly be challengers to him for the nomination. We could end up with a candidate that might prove far more difficult for us to beat than Trump would have been.

But then, I'm hoping that Pelosi assumes Trump will never be convicted by the Senate and is only using the impeachment process to further ruin Jabba's chances at reelection.

by Anonymousreply 492September 29, 2019 6:41 PM

An internal fight in the GOP for the nomination, R492? Hell, yeah. With that kind of fight among the incumbent party, the opposition party's chances always increase.

In any case, I think the chances of such a fight are tiny, not just because I'm pretty certain that Trump won't be removed but also because, if he is, I don't see any of the others going after Pence in that way or gaining any real traction if they do.

by Anonymousreply 493September 29, 2019 6:47 PM

R492, I think Trump remains a more difficult opponent to beat than Pence or the other Republicans. Trump has a strong, fanatical base, which is why he's been difficult to beat up until now. The other Republicans won't command the same loyalty from the Deplorables that he does.

by Anonymousreply 494September 29, 2019 6:47 PM

[quote]The big thing that scares me about the the possibility of Trump being kicked out before the next election is that Pence becomes POTUS, and will surely run for re-election

No one but deplorables would want to see Pence as president, but that slim possibility is hardly justification for not impeaching Trump, whose crimes were already spelled out in the Mueller report, and yet given a pass. Impeachment was overdue.

by Anonymousreply 495September 29, 2019 6:49 PM

In the unlikely event that the Republicans in Congress turn against Trump, the Deplorables will punish the GOP by staying home or voting them out. So getting rid of Trump would actually help us win in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 496September 29, 2019 6:53 PM

Pence as the nominee would be a gift.

by Anonymousreply 497September 29, 2019 6:57 PM

You mean like we thought having Trump as the nominee would be a gift??

by Anonymousreply 498September 29, 2019 7:02 PM

I wish Roger Ailes was still alive and bed ridden and forced to watch all this go down.

by Anonymousreply 499September 29, 2019 7:03 PM

Bridgegate is scheduled for oral arguments in January. If the Supreme Court eventually throws out the conviction on the basis of prosecutorial overreach, that sets up the narrative that Christie, at that time a popular Republican official, was the political victim of a "corrupt" Obama/Biden DOJ, the same DOJ that didn't prosecute Hillary. That allows every Republican in the country to drag Hillary's name back into the election discussion, which will motivate the Deplorables to show up again.

by Anonymousreply 500September 29, 2019 7:07 PM

[quote] Fox News reported that two frequent guests on the network, Joe diGenova and his wife Victoria Toensing, were "working off the books" to help Rudy Giuliani dig up dirt on Biden—and the only person who knew about their involvement was Trump himself.

I knew about it. I posted it last week.

The IC knew about it.

by Anonymousreply 501September 29, 2019 7:10 PM

R500, that’s way too complicated a narrative.

by Anonymousreply 502September 29, 2019 7:10 PM

The Bronx

The Battery

The Everglades

by Anonymousreply 503September 29, 2019 7:24 PM

Fox will say that Obama/Biden targeted Republicans and let Hillary off. That's not too complicated a narrative for Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 504September 29, 2019 7:28 PM

Hunter Biden has been such a fuck up his entire life while Beau was Buck x 100.

There have been so many articles written about what a fuck up he is.

Why does every political family have at least one of these greedy, moron slackers? One even became president (Dubya)

by Anonymousreply 505September 29, 2019 8:02 PM

Nobody cares R505, this thread is about the Fat Orange Shit and his crimes and impeachment

by Anonymousreply 506September 29, 2019 8:04 PM

[quote] Why is this guy obsessing about someone getting $50K? Like Ivanka and Jared aren't making the same?

Yeah, that was nutty. Sure, it's a lot of money, and sure, he didn't deserve it, and but, hey, it is neither illegal nor a violation of the US Constitution to get paid a fuck-ton of money for a job you're not qualified to do.

by Anonymousreply 507September 29, 2019 8:14 PM

The Bronx

The Battery

The Everglades

New COUNTRIES?

by Anonymousreply 508September 29, 2019 8:15 PM

^ Start your own thread if you want to keep obsessing over the word "the," weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 509September 29, 2019 8:17 PM

R480 the same Joe diGenova that was throwing down with judge napolitano early this week,. Napolitano was saying on Fox News trump is in big trouble over the Ukraine stuff and digenova was saying he was dead wrong.

This is DELICIOUS

by Anonymousreply 510September 29, 2019 8:25 PM

R 509, take time to read the previous posts, you lazy dolt.

by Anonymousreply 511September 29, 2019 8:41 PM

Overall I think all of the Trump supporting spokespeople were terrible. This tells me that Republicans simply don't have a rebuttal for this. If more damning information comes out next week I think this will mean that Trump is indeed finished.

by Anonymousreply 512September 29, 2019 9:14 PM

[quote] R 509, take time to read the previous posts, you lazy dolt.

I read them, goofball, and got sick of the tedious discussion about "Ukraine" vs. "the Ukraine." If you really think that topic is interesting or germane to the actual topic of the thread, the dolt is in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 513September 29, 2019 9:25 PM

You must be the poster who tried to make a point with this, which elicited the response.

The Bronx

The Battery

The Everglades

by Anonymousreply 514September 29, 2019 9:32 PM

The The United States of The America

by Anonymousreply 515September 29, 2019 9:32 PM

Barr and Pompeo are in Italy this weekend.

guess who else happens to be there right now?

Steve Bannon and several prominent Russian oligarchs.

they're figuring out how to burn the US down without leaving fingerprints.

by Anonymousreply 516September 29, 2019 9:37 PM

Biden campaign demands TV networks stop booking Rudy Giuliani

Former Vice President Joe Biden's 2020 campaign demanded in a letter first reported by The Daily Beast that television networks stop booking Rudy Giuliani, arguing that he will "knowingly and willingly lie in order to advance his own narrative."

The big picture: Giuliani, President Trump's personal attorney and a frequent guest on cable news, has adamantly defended his and Trump's efforts to push Ukrainian officials to investigate Biden and his son over unsubstantiated corruption allegations. Several of Giuliani's recent appearances have gone viral due to their combative nature — most notably one with CNN's Chris Cuomo last weekend in which Giuliani was forced to walk back his claims that he never asked Ukraine to investigate Biden in the first place.

The letter from top Biden officials Anita Dunn and Kate Bedingfield argues that while journalists "have been aggressive in pushing back on [Giuliani] in real time ... it is hard for the corrections to catch up." "Giving Rudy Giuliani valuable time on your air to push these lies in the first place is a disservice to your audience and a disservice to journalism," the letter reads. The campaign also adds that should networks continue to book Giuliani, they need to be giving "an equivalent amount of time" to a Biden surrogate.

"Saying simply that you will put a Democrat on, at a time when there are many declared candidates for the Democratic nomination for the presidency, is neither fair treatment nor equal treatment."

(letter in the link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517September 29, 2019 10:33 PM

Poll: Majority of Americans say impeachment inquiry into Trump is necessary

The poll, conducted by YouGov, shows 55% of Americans think the newly-opened probe necessary, while 45% of Americans think it unnecessary.

Among Democrats, nearly 9 in 10 approve of the inquiry and two-thirds strongly approve -- 87% of Democrats approve of the inquiry, while 77% of Republicans disapprove, according to the poll. Among Independents, 49% approve and 51% disapprove, the poll found.

Americans split on whether Trump deserves to be impeached over his actions in the handling of matters concerning Ukraine, with 42% saying he does deserve to be impeached over his actions and 36% saying he does not. Twenty-two percent say it's too soon to say, according to the poll.

by Anonymousreply 518September 29, 2019 10:37 PM

^^Link to above story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519September 29, 2019 10:39 PM

And that's before they get their hands on the secret server and the gang that couldn't shoot straight testifies live on TV.

by Anonymousreply 520September 29, 2019 11:00 PM

Maybe someone should start an investigation into why Jim Jordan is paid $174k a year for a job he clearly has no qualifications for.

by Anonymousreply 521September 29, 2019 11:31 PM

Is it partisan or biased if the press/media slam these right wing unwashed hard with the question; "What does this have to do with the current situation?" So far today I have read and heard about the Clinton Foundation, Hillary Clinton's emails, Joe Biden's son, etc. The only thing missing was Obama's birth certificate. ALL OF THESE ISSUES HAVE BEEN INVESTIGATED AS NAUSEA!

Why allow these people to keep this up? I actually agree with the letter in R517. If the right wing complains then as Robert Deniro said... "Fuck em!"

I'm soooo tired of Democrats, (and others), being expected to "do the right thing" and take the higher and moral ground when all the Republicans and conservatives do is lie, lie, LIE!

by Anonymousreply 522September 29, 2019 11:51 PM

Do you guys know that Justice Clarence Thomas’ wife is a lobbiest? It’s not a current scandal, but perhaps it should be.

by Anonymousreply 523September 29, 2019 11:59 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524September 30, 2019 12:26 AM

Good luck with getting Schiff to resign fat boy.

Just watched Kevin McCarthy on 60 Minutes. Damn he is not too bright and his defense was so weak. He sucked hard.

by Anonymousreply 525September 30, 2019 12:31 AM

Umm...has anyone told him that, unlike him, we can and do all read for ourselves?? It isn't like we haven't seen the rough transcript ourselves without any help from Adam Schiff.

by Anonymousreply 526September 30, 2019 12:34 AM

This isn’t hearsay. Trump acknowledged the conversation happened and released a summary of it.

We do need to get a transcript of it. It will probably be worse.

by Anonymousreply 527September 30, 2019 12:36 AM

Did you hear/see Giuliani refer to himself as “just a country lawyer”? Lol. What country? He’s no beginner.

by Anonymousreply 528September 30, 2019 12:41 AM

Good! Democrats are working on Sunday!

[quote]“I’m in Texas and they have a saying here: ‘Don’t Mess with Texas.’ Well, I say, ‘Don’t Mess with the Constitution, Mr. President,’ Pelosi told fellow Democrats, according to an aide on the call.

Dem leaders plot impeachment messaging war with Trump--Pelosi and her deputies are also looking to protect vulnerable lawmakers.

House Democrats are plotting an all-out offensive against President Donald Trump as they pursue an impeachment inquiry, announcing plans on Sunday to streamline their messaging operation and aid vulnerable lawmakers as they face potential blowback in their districts.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her top deputies laid out the strategy during a private conference call Sunday afternoon. The plan reflects a deepening sentiment among Democrats that Trump’s latest scandal involving Ukraine could persuade the public to support impeachment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529September 30, 2019 12:49 AM

[quote]In addition, I want to meet not only my accuser, who presented SECOND & THIRD HAND INFORMATION

If he wants to meet the accuser who presented firsthand information he should LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

by Anonymousreply 530September 30, 2019 12:49 AM

They're trying to make this about the whistleblower, but it's ridiculous because they released the record of the call! (well some of it, anyway). What the whistleblower said has been confirmed by the call record that they themselves put out there!

by Anonymousreply 531September 30, 2019 12:53 AM

[quote]They're trying to make this about the whistleblower,

It seems to me that they're trying to make it about anything except Trump.

The Tom Bossert interview where he states quite plainly that there is nothing to the Biden/Ukraine issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532September 30, 2019 12:58 AM

Yeah they're throwing out everything they can, trying different messages to see what fits, but the problem is, this is pretty clear cut! So they are trying to muddy the waters as much as possible. It's just ridiculous though some of the things they are saying.

by Anonymousreply 533September 30, 2019 1:01 AM

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump (a little over a half hour ago)

“All that’s swirling around us now is Impeachment. We talk about it day and night, it’s what’s on the news, there is NOTHING that has turned up that is Impeachable. Our founding fathers set impeachment to be extremely rare. We need to get good stuff done. Let the people vote,....

....we are going to have an Election very shortly.” Rep. Jeff Van Drew, Democrat of New Jersey. @foxandfriends Thank you. Just another Witch Hunt by Nancy Pelosi and the Do Nothing Democrats!

“State Department has stepped up Hillary Clinton Email probe.” @foxandfriends You mean the 33,000 Emails that she has deleted and acid washed so they can never be found, even though she said that all 33,000 pertained only to her daughter’s wedding, and her Yoga!

by Anonymousreply 534September 30, 2019 1:06 AM

I am confused. What are the Ukraine's preferred pronouns now?

by Anonymousreply 535September 30, 2019 1:08 AM

Only on DL would some deranged idiot bring the TRANS issue into impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 536September 30, 2019 1:10 AM

I wish he were on the news every day. If he were, I'd watch. Maybe he should start a podcast!

by Anonymousreply 537September 30, 2019 1:12 AM

Squeaky Fromme, where are you when we need you?!

by Anonymousreply 538September 30, 2019 1:21 AM

[quote]No, it really isn't, as we're already seeing. They've decided that it's "hearsay" and that there was no explicit "quid pro quo," so this is just another "witch hunt."

r252 called it.

Badly balding Toppik spokesmodel, teen wrestling fan/pedo facilitator, and U.S. Representative Jim Jordan spouted all those flailing talking points this morning and was thoroughly own by Jake Tapper.

by Anonymousreply 539September 30, 2019 1:27 AM

He's watching FOX and it has called in the artillery;

“Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats can’t put down the Impeachment match. They know they couldn’t beat him in 2016 against Hillary Clinton, and they’re increasingly aware of the fact that they won’t win against him in 2020, and Impeachment is the only tool they have to get....

....rid of Donald J. Trump - And the Democrats don’t care if they burn down and destroy this nation in the process. I have never seen the Evangelical Christians more angry over any issue than this attempt to illegitimately remove this President from office, overturn the 2016....

....Election, and negate the votes of millions of Evangelicals in the process. They know the only Impeachable offense that President Trump has committed was beating Hillary Clinton in 2016. That’s the unpardonable sin for which the Democrats will never forgive him.....

....If the Democrats are successful in removing the President from office (which they will never be), it will cause a Civil War like fracture in this Nation from which our Country will never heal.” Pastor Robert Jeffress, @FoxNews

by Anonymousreply 540September 30, 2019 1:27 AM

If they'll never be successful, why is he ranting about it?

I really wish the IRS would drop tax-exempt status from churches that use their pulpits to promote politics.

by Anonymousreply 541September 30, 2019 1:30 AM

He’s back on Twitter raging about the Fake News and Radical Left. Bad people. Bad!

[quote]These Radical Left, Do Nothing Democrats, are doing great harm to our Country. They are lying & cheating like never before in our Country’s history in order to destabilize the United States of America & it’s upcoming 2020 Election. They & the Fake News Media are Dangerous & Bad!

by Anonymousreply 542September 30, 2019 2:04 AM

He should just start tweeting KILL ZEM!! KILL ZEM ALL!!! and go into full Hitler mode.

by Anonymousreply 543September 30, 2019 2:05 AM

Has there ever been since the beginning of time a bigger victim and even bigger whiner?

by Anonymousreply 544September 30, 2019 2:17 AM

Trump is such a whiney lil fuckin' pussy.

by Anonymousreply 545September 30, 2019 2:26 AM

[quote]They are lying & cheating like never before in our Country’s history in order to destabilize the United States of America & it’s upcoming 2020 Election

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546September 30, 2019 2:27 AM

Eldergays:

Can you tell us in which decade the Republican Party became so evil & vile? Were they always this bad? Did it happen under Nixon in the 70's? Reagan in the 80's? Under Bush, Gingrich, etc. in the 90's-2000's?

by Anonymousreply 547September 30, 2019 2:57 AM

R547, it started under Reagan and culminated with Gingrich.

by Anonymousreply 548September 30, 2019 3:06 AM

It started before Reagan I think but Newt Gingrich I believe where their current approacb began.

by Anonymousreply 549September 30, 2019 3:07 AM

Actually it happened in the late 60s with Nixon and the beginning of the long-running reactionary efforts to counter any progressive gains of the last 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 550September 30, 2019 3:08 AM

I think it was a gradual thing that started with Lee Atwater's dark arts. He worked for Reagan but was in the game at lower levels prior. Gingrich took it from bad to worse.

by Anonymousreply 551September 30, 2019 3:09 AM

It was Nixon. He's the guy. He made Lee Atwater possible. He identified toxic white rage and resentment--the "Silent Majority"-- as a force that could be politically ferocious.

by Anonymousreply 552September 30, 2019 3:13 AM

r531, it's what they always do: attack the messenger, bury the message. You see people do it a lot here, too. And they're not all red right trolls, but they suffer from the same denialist, authoritarian mental torpor.

by Anonymousreply 553September 30, 2019 4:21 AM

Before Nixon, there was the John Birch Society.

by Anonymousreply 554September 30, 2019 4:37 AM

R543: well he did openly threaten civil war today, so there's that.

A solid introduction to the racial politics of the modern GOP is Rick Perlstein's "Nixonland". As noted above, Nixon's henchmen - Lee Atwater, Roger Ailes, Pat Buchanan - were the first to weaponize white resentment to win elections.

(Two other names that might ring a bell from the Nixon years who worked for him as college Republicans - Roger Stone and Karl Rove.)

by Anonymousreply 555September 30, 2019 4:43 AM

At what point did racist Southern whites shift from Dem to Rep? After the schools were desegregated?

by Anonymousreply 556September 30, 2019 4:50 AM

The shift started with the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Nixon capitalized on it in the 1968 election. The shift was all but completed by the mid-80s.

by Anonymousreply 557September 30, 2019 4:59 AM

As a point of no coincidence, the last Democratic president to win the white male vote was...

LBJ in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 558September 30, 2019 5:02 AM

"I'm just a country lawyer."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559September 30, 2019 5:28 AM

He must be shitting his Depends every hour.

The uptick in his Twitter activity the past 24 hours is remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 560September 30, 2019 10:42 AM

[quote]Like every American, I deserve to meet my accuser

My favorite Twitter response to this was just a list of the dozen or so women who have accused him of sexual assault.

by Anonymousreply 561September 30, 2019 11:59 AM

Is it really wise for Biden and his people to demand the networks stop booking Giuliani? Because every time Giuliani appears on TV, he tends to dig the hole that much deeper. I'd probably say let him talk all he wants.

by Anonymousreply 562September 30, 2019 12:09 PM

I'd guess Biden is actually pointing out how insane Giuliani is rather than actually expecting them not to book him.

by Anonymousreply 563September 30, 2019 12:15 PM

[quote]Just watched Kevin McCarthy on 60 Minutes.

Justin Amash, tweeting about the man who used to hold sway over him as a House Republican:

Kevin McCarthy again displays his unique brand of incompetence and dishonesty.

by Anonymousreply 564September 30, 2019 12:37 PM

Telling news outlets not to book Ghouliani will only make tRump's base cry censorship and give them reasons to think Biden has something to hide. News outlets like filming trainwrecks, anyway. I say let him keep talking. Sane people know he's fucked in the head.

by Anonymousreply 565September 30, 2019 12:44 PM

[quote]Telling news outlets not to book Ghouliani will only make tRump's base cry censorship

"Fuck 'em!"

[quote]and give them reasons to think Biden has something to hide.

They'll make something up anyway

by Anonymousreply 566September 30, 2019 12:47 PM

Yeah, R566, so let Ghouliani keep talking. The sweet thing about his verbal diarrhea is that once in awhile he gives up a nugget of truth that he didn't intend to give him, and that hurts tRump. He's his own worst enemy. And tRump's worst ally. Well, one of them.

by Anonymousreply 567September 30, 2019 12:50 PM

"give up"

by Anonymousreply 568September 30, 2019 12:51 PM

Why do you always misspell Giuliani R567? It's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 569September 30, 2019 1:26 PM

Robert DeNiro called him crazy and a gangster on CNN. Why hasn't he tweeted and called DeNiro a bad actor and has-been, yet?

by Anonymousreply 570September 30, 2019 1:31 PM

It's intentional, R 569. Get with the program.

by Anonymousreply 571September 30, 2019 1:32 PM

I can somewhat understand where Biden is coming from on not booking Giuliani. I was suprised how George Stephanopolous allowed Giuliani to must steamroll through his interview on This Week. At least Brennan pushed back a bit harder on Face the Nation. I was actually suprised at Stephanopolous.

by Anonymousreply 572September 30, 2019 2:06 PM

I can somewhat understand where Biden is coming from on not booking Giuliani. I was suprised how George Stephanopolous allowed Giuliani to must steamroll through his interview on This Week. At least Brennan pushed back a bit harder on Face the Nation. I was actually suprised at Stephanopolous.

by Anonymousreply 573September 30, 2019 2:06 PM

[quote]I was suprised how George Stephanopolous allowed Giuliani to must steamroll through his interview on This Week.

You don't further agitate crazy. You leave them alone.

by Anonymousreply 574September 30, 2019 2:12 PM

Rudy Giuliani @RudyGiuliani

I can’t believe how blind our media has become.They are blindly using the prosecutor who corruptly dismissed the cases against Biden’s son and his corrupt company. There was no investigation. Where’s the report? Use your common sense for those who haven’t lost it. Analyze it....

Bribery is offering anything of value ($1.2 billion critical loan guarantee) in exchange for official action (firing the prosecutor, corrupt or not, who is investigating your son). Bragging Biden admits it. And if you need help on whether he knew about son, plenty to come.

by Anonymousreply 575September 30, 2019 2:16 PM

Right-wing media (and Trump's twitter feed) is exploding this morning with the claim that the Deep State™ secretly changed the whistleblower form in early August to allow complaints based on secondhand information, specifically to bring down Trump.

Of course, it's not true:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576September 30, 2019 2:17 PM

R574, you sure a shit agitate crazy in an interview. That's when they slip up. What you don't do is allow them to make their case relatively unchallenged. As I said, Brennan on Face The Nation did a much better job at pushing back and calling him out on his lies.

by Anonymousreply 577September 30, 2019 2:25 PM

I read that Biden at the same time declined to appear on several shows. He just wanted to send his aides and the networks did not want that. It's weird he did not use these opportunities to tell his side of the story and out Trump as the corrupt bastard that he is.

by Anonymousreply 578September 30, 2019 2:26 PM

All the whining, all the screaming, all their grandstanding and deflection will not make that memo they released go away. They confessed, it's there, and they themselves are digging the hole they stand in.

Too bad, so sad.

More popcorn anyone?

by Anonymousreply 579September 30, 2019 2:26 PM

[quote]I read that Biden at the same time declined to appear on several shows. He just wanted to send his aides and the networks did not want that. It's weird he did not use these opportunities to tell his side of the story and out

I think Biden was/is smart to stay out of this. This is the media looking for ratings. Let Trump and his people hang themselves.

by Anonymousreply 580September 30, 2019 2:30 PM

^I'm still amused Trump and his friends expected an apology from the Dems after releasing the transcript. They really thought this would actually help them.

by Anonymousreply 581September 30, 2019 2:30 PM

Biden's explaining the situation gives it more publicity.

by Anonymousreply 582September 30, 2019 2:33 PM

You know as I think about it, these Republican Senators. I mean yes, the GOP gerrymanders congressional districts. But Senators run statewide. So if those fuckers wanted to be heros and get some independents and even Dems to vote for them out of gratitude, they ought to support getting rid of Trump. I don't trust Floyd Flake as far as I can throw him. He and Ben Sasse, Romney and Collins are worse than the rest in some ways, because they hold out the possibility they might do the right thing then they shit all over us.

by Anonymousreply 583September 30, 2019 2:40 PM

Collins is out of the same mold as a Mueller or Bill Weld republican, R583. The old timey New England Republican, the original abolitionist party faithful, are dinosaurs and need to ditch the current version or say goodbye to their political careers. Mueller obviously cared more about his country club friends than the country.

All of them, no matter how moderate, are now tainted by affiliation to overt racism, fascism and obstructionism - even treason - and only serve to confuse people by trying to appear in opposition. They had their chance and they chose him.

Fool me once....

by Anonymousreply 584September 30, 2019 2:47 PM

[Quote]I think Biden was/is smart to stay out of this. This is the media looking for ratings. Let Trump and his people hang themselves.

I'm not so sure this is the best approach here. Trump's tactics worked really well in the past. He and his minions just repeat the same basic messages over and over again till his base believes it. "I did nothing wrong, it was a perfect call, Whistleblower compaint is fake and only second hand information, hearsay, deep state operative, Biden is the criminal here" etc. It's a constant, 24/7 indoctrination. For every Stephen Miller, McCarthy or Giuliani interview, we need two Dems pointing out the corruption and lies of this administration.

by Anonymousreply 585September 30, 2019 2:51 PM

Biden needs to stay above the fray. That said, he needs advocates that will push back ferociously.

by Anonymousreply 586September 30, 2019 2:53 PM

Adam Kinzinger @RepKinzinger

I have visited nations ravaged by civil war. @realDonaldTrump I have never imagined such a quote to be repeated by a President. This is beyond repugnant.

The Fake News Media wants to stay as far away as possible from the Ukraine and China deals made by the Bidens. A Corrupt Media is so bad for our Country! In actuality, the Media may be even more Corrupt than the Bidens, which is hard to do!

by Anonymousreply 587September 30, 2019 2:53 PM

If he pushes back, even through advocates R586, it gives the trying to look fair media a chance to put both the impeachment and anything about the Bidens on equal footing. Biden's people are smart not to respond. Let them hang themselves.

by Anonymousreply 588September 30, 2019 2:56 PM

I think it's fair to say he's doing OK staying out of it, given the polling rise in those supporting the II. I think he's running a pretty lame campaign...a. bit too frontrunner. Warren is gaining ground. Whether she can sustain it is another thing. Four months ago, it's look out, Kamala's coming!

by Anonymousreply 589September 30, 2019 3:06 PM

Classic Trump - blaming the Democrats for all the things he is guilty of - lying, cheating, attempting to rig elections and undermine the democracy of the country. He really is quite good at gas-lighting, considering you just know his supporters will believe him despite the overwhelming evidence.

Also, didn't he imply via Twitter that the whistleblower should be killed? "Was this person SPYING on the U.S. President? Big Consequences!"

I see he's tweeting like an absolute nut-job, again. That alone should be grounds for impeachment - everything he does just makes him look more and more guilty. The constant tweeting in ALL CAPS is clearly a strong signal that he is mentally incompetent. He should be removed now. By whatever means necessary. Why does this continue? Your country is fucked if you can't even get rid of a mentally ill criminal wannabe-dictator.

by Anonymousreply 590September 30, 2019 3:06 PM

R590, we have our own lying cheating, gaslighting criminal to get rid of. Just hoping the opposition parties can compromise enough this week to get rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 591September 30, 2019 3:16 PM

He's doing worse now, R590, in advocating a civil war over the impeachment. Our Constitution provides the means for removal by both the executive and congressional branches, but it requires those so chartered to have some balls. So far, only Pelosi has demonstrated her steel. The members of his Cabinet are synchophants without courage. The leadership in the Senate is silent and complicit. The impeachment is overdue, but necessary and may still result in him remaining, if impotently. We can only hope more than a few Republican Senators remember their oaths.

by Anonymousreply 592September 30, 2019 3:17 PM

Mary Anne Marsh: Impeachment inquiry so far – Trump's days are numbered and never underestimate Pelosi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593September 30, 2019 3:22 PM

Lagarde on CNN: Impeachment is bad for the economy and would undermine US leadership. Fuck you! This is about our democracy and a corrupt president. All they ever think about is money.

by Anonymousreply 594September 30, 2019 3:24 PM

He's totally panicking. In this leaked footage, Jared fails to soothe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595September 30, 2019 3:25 PM

[quote]Lagarde on CNN: Impeachment is bad for the economy and would undermine US leadership. Fuck you! This is about our democracy and a corrupt president. All they ever think about is money.

Everybody still in love with the EU?

by Anonymousreply 596September 30, 2019 3:26 PM

His followers are desperately trying to find out who the whistleblower is as is Trump. Gee wonder why? Intimidation and retaliation maybe. He is insisting he was spied on he apparently does not know how a whistleblower works.

by Anonymousreply 597September 30, 2019 3:34 PM

Christie said publicly that Trump was definitely getting impeached, which means he probably said the same thing privately to Trump. Hence the crazy tweets.

by Anonymousreply 598September 30, 2019 3:35 PM

Has someone made a Part 3?

by Anonymousreply 599September 30, 2019 3:36 PM

I think it's reverse psychology. Biden sending a letter, making it public calling on the media to stop booking Rudy, will infuriate Trump...and Rudy. And Rudy will be on TV even more. Because this weekend, a lot of pundits were rumbling about "reining Giuliani in" and trying to curb his TV appearances. It seems Biden took that away from them and he's doing it himself. And you know Trump would never do what Biden wants him to do. I love this. It shows some wit and cunning by Biden's people. We need a lot more. We ought to be able to have some fun with this. Listing the names of Trump's accusers is another good idea. Yeah, Donnie! Let people face their accusers.

by Anonymousreply 600September 30, 2019 3:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601September 30, 2019 3:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!