Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Schitt's Creek' Season 5

Coming to Netflix US on October 10! Great news for bébé.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 29, 2020 12:15 PM

Season 4 thread.

The final, sixth season wrapped production in June and will air next year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2019 2:28 AM

Just can’t get into this show.

by Anonymousreply 2September 11, 2019 2:31 AM

Bebe? I've watched all 4 seasons and have no idea what that's referring to.

by Anonymousreply 3September 11, 2019 2:35 AM

r3 It refers to the affected way Moira pronounces the word "baby". She says it several times in the fourth season.

by Anonymousreply 4September 11, 2019 2:40 AM

Thanks.

She says so many words so strangely, I'm surprised you remembered that!

by Anonymousreply 5September 11, 2019 2:42 AM

I mean, that's a quote from Netflix's tweet, I just added the acute accents because I can't help but see it written the French way whenever she says it.

But yes, her pronunciation is crazy. Hope she goes all out on that front in these last two seasons!

by Anonymousreply 6September 11, 2019 2:47 AM

Love, love, love this show. They're all bleedin crazies.

by Anonymousreply 7September 11, 2019 2:57 AM

It's also on the POPTV channel.

I know that she's positively bedeviled with social engagements, but Moira Rose simply has the best lexicon.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2019 7:22 PM

Dan Levy has a new project lined up already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2019 7:51 PM

It looks like Dan Levy has gotten his weight under control.

He was ballooning for a while there.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2019 7:55 PM

So Season 6 will air on POP first, then another 6-12 months before it is added to Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2019 8:29 PM

Love this gang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2019 12:24 AM

I think it's a humorous, sweet and welcoming comedy. The only thing that doesn't quite ring true to me is the Patrick / David romance.

I wish there's a way to write shirtlessness into the series. I think most of the guys on the show are attractive, Ted & Mutt & David & Patrick are good looking guys.

by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2019 1:36 AM

I recently saw The Death and Life of John F. Donovan, and I was suprised how glamarous Emily Hampshire can look when she isn't dressed up as Stevie.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2019 6:15 AM

This show became a lame romcom once the kids got into serious relationships.

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2019 6:20 AM

To me it's still fun since the Rose family held on to some of their quirks from their former rich life they may never shake off.

by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2019 6:24 AM

The show was over a season and a half ago.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2019 6:25 AM

Looks like Catherine finally got work done.she looks amazing

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2019 6:30 AM

I really, REALLY tried to get into this show, but after Season 1 it was irretrievably over.

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2019 6:41 AM

I'm glad this show has done well, honestly. It's a bit dull at times, but it's funny and off-kilter, and Catherine O'Hara sells it for me. It sort of works as one of those shows you can have running and half-watch while you're cleaning the house or something, but still get plenty of enjoyment out of.

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2019 6:54 AM

For me, the show really only hit its stride In the last couple of episodes of season3. Everything after that point has been pure magic.

by Anonymousreply 21September 27, 2019 3:46 AM

Season 5 was good. For a second I thought a brand new season was going to be exclusively dumped on netflix but realize I watched it months ago on one of those magic streaming sites

by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2019 4:04 AM

Syndication, baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2019 3:02 PM

The fifth season just downloaded thsi weekend in the US not Netflix. It is the funniest season yet--I laughed out loud multiple times. There's one episode that just doesn't work about John and Moira hitting a cat belonging to some rednecks, but each episode is terrific--although the funniest ones usually involve Moira's career as an actress (the season begins with her making a hilariously bad horror sequel in Bosnia called "The crows Have Eyes III: The Crowening," and there's also an episode all about an old Lifetime TV-movie of hers called "Not Without My Cousin" being re-run--the more you hear her talk about the insane movie (which co-stars Joyce DeWitt), the funnier it gets.

She is the big star, but all four members of the family are terrific, as are David's and Alexis's cute boyfriends, the mayor's wife Jocelyn, and Stveie who co-owns the motel with John Rose. One interesting thing about the season is that the big running story is that Moira comes to direct the community theatre's production of "Cabaret," wherein several of the characters take parts.

Noah Reid, as David's boyfriend Patrick, continues to be the dream boyfriend almost every gay man has ever wanted, and I like that Daniel Levy has finally written a believable and deeply romantic gay relationship. It's interesting how someone complained above about the lack of male skin on thsi show despite the fact that so many of the younger male actors are quite attractive: I think that's been a very conscious choice of Dan Levy's choice, for whatever reason. (For example, Dan Levy himself clearly has a nice body in real life, but we have NEVER seen David with his shirt off or even in a shortsleeved shirt.) I think he is doing this because he wants to show that gay men can have romantic relationships that are not dependent only on sex, although he makes clear that David's character has had quite a lot of sex in his past.

I don't want to give away any more of the jokes because they're so funny that I don't to spoil them. But let me ass that one of the greatest running gags ever continues to be Moira's surprisingly enormous and obscure vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2019 9:47 PM

Omg, r24's post just made me realise I created this new thread for a season that has wrapped already BACK IN APRIL and which was already discussed in the Season 4 thread.

Well, shit, this is embarrassing. 😐

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2019 9:51 PM

[quote]I really, REALLY tried to get into this show, but after Season 1 it was irretrievably over.

I totally agree. And if I’m honest, I started losing interest by the end of Season 1.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2019 10:05 PM

Who told Catherine that weave she’s wearing in the picture OP posted was a good idea?😦

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2019 10:07 PM

What's wrong with that weave? I love the ombré effect. She looks youthful and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2019 10:09 PM

r27, a running joke on the show is that Catherine O'Hara's character Moira Rose, a former soap opera actress, wears terrible different wigs in almost every scene she's in. Moira is supposed to have over a hundred of them, and they all have names (Maureen, Cindy, Magdalena), and a different mood is associated with each wig. Moira even thinks the wigs have their own personalities, and that certain ones cannot be put next to other ones because "they don't get along"!

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2019 10:57 PM

Also, keep in mind that for a woman who was genuinely quite pretty when she was young (see linked photo), Catherine O'Hara has almost ZERO vanity. She will do anything to be funny, and the idea for Moira's ridiculous multiple wigs being a part of character was something she came up with.

O'Hara has never had plastic surgery or fillers or Botox, and I think she's one of the few very pretty women in Hollywood who has refused facial work altogether as she's grown older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2019 11:01 PM

R30, do you really believe she’s never had a single thing done? Look at the OP photo. I didn’t even recognize her. Her face is full of something...

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2019 10:20 AM

I think people have speculated that she's had some things (finally) done for the recent Emmy ceremony. But yes, she looks very much natural on the show.

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2019 10:22 AM

Laugh free and only claim in the future will be the smarmy titlee...ohhhh a naughty word.

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2019 10:35 AM

I swear the announcer during the Emmys called it Chitt's Creek, to make it sound less naughty.

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2019 10:43 AM

I just started watching the show because half my coworkers and now even my sister have told me that David is my behavioral carbon copy. I’ve now watched the first season, and I have to say that I absolutely see it and I’m totally fine with it. (I have too much Alexis in me, too.) The histrionics, the self-centeredness, the sweaters, the snarkiness, the lack of friends. Sigh. Oh well. At least I’m living an Emmy-worthy life!

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2019 12:32 PM

The last few episodes of Season 5 are great, especially the last one that finally showcases Stevie. Nothing wrong with a show that can be poignant and still deliver some belly laughs. Admittedly, your sense of humor has to be a little off kilter to appreciate much of it.

by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2019 1:40 PM

Stevie is the only character that doesn't ring true to me. All the others are fun to watch, but whatever happened to Wendy from the BLOUSE BARN? Did she sell her store?

by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2019 2:27 AM

I love it. So much. I have binged the whole series since last weekend and I am midway through season five. The show began like a madcap AbFab sort of over the top satire and somehow it became a genuinely heartwarming comic romance.

by Anonymousreply 38November 9, 2019 2:31 AM

I like Stevie a lot. The one character who “doesn’t ring true” for me is Twyla, who I just realized is Dan Levy’s sister/Eugene Levy’s daughter. I think the actress is very good, but the character is all over the place: she’s a daft waitress, a competent yoga instructor, a talented part of a choral ensemble, a weirdo who forces people to go to murder-mystery parties but forgets to make one the murderer, a completely unjealous ex-girlfriend to Mutt and patsy of a friend to Alexis. She seems more like a blank-slate sketch comedy actress they just slot in wherever the need her. Same with the Indian guy who sells homes, businesses, Christmas trees, is a photographer and is on the city council. Using the same actors for the small roles adds a touch of theatre, but the inconsistency of the Twyla character distracts me.

by Anonymousreply 39November 9, 2019 2:39 AM

Wendy makes an appearance in Season 5, and we see her new business is since the Blouse Barn.

by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2019 5:54 AM

Loved loved season 5. Moira is like the Fifth Go,den Girl. Was the last season. The one that got all the Emmy nominations ? If so Stevie should have been nominated.

Some people dont have plastic surgery but use tape instead for filming and public appearances.

by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2019 6:34 AM

r35 I wouldn't be proud of that

by Anonymousreply 42November 9, 2019 6:51 AM

And yet I am, R42. And yet! So.

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2019 10:34 AM

I actually thought that Stevie's finale (in Cabaret) was very touching. The scene between Moira and Stevie was great. I loved that it was Moira who really discovered Stevie's talent. And yes, I cannot stop saying BÉBÉ.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2019 3:29 PM

Is Dan a top or bottom in real life?

by Anonymousreply 45November 10, 2019 6:42 AM

Lord bless you R43! You tell 'em. You are honest and true yourself -- not (unfortunately) very common traits found.

I enjoy the show very much and completely agree with R24 in his assessment "David's boyfriend Patrick, continues to be the dream boyfriend almost every gay man has ever wanted".

Been in love with Catherine O'Hara since discovering Second City TV. I was high the first time I came across it channel surfing. Can you imagine? Perfect moment.

by Anonymousreply 46November 10, 2019 8:13 AM

R43 Wellll I embrace the comparisons to David because it turns out that I really like him a lot. And the comparisons are mostly somewhat superficial: his mannerisms and his *possibly sometimes exaggerated reactions* are too much like me. The early episodes’ “you get murdered first!” scene is almost word for word representative of many interactions I’ve had with my sister many times. The relationship with his sister and both of his parents mirror my family very closely. And I love sweaters and wear them anytime I can. And I’m 41 and hace never had a real relationship. I even mentioned the similarities to my therapist and was surprised she watches the show, and she told me she definitely sees the similarities except “he is a lot more neurotic than you are.” And I was like, “well, it is a sitcom, so...” Anyway, in the end, watching this show has honestly been therapeutic for me. When I was young, I was so self-conscious and absolutely mortified anytime I heard a recording of my own voice or, God forbid, saw video of myself—because my movements and my facial expressions are...well, a lot like David Rose’s. And it turns out I love David Rose! I think he is wonderful and lovable, even if he’s a handful. And he’s redeeming to me. My mom and my sister and I got into it once because they insisted to me that I’m not funny and I insisted that I may not be able to tell a joke, but I would be a funny character on a sitcom.

Having said all that, it’s now probably narcissistic to say that Patrick is not my dream boyfriend at all. David is much more appealing to me because (despite the black and white attire) he is so vibrant and sincere.

by Anonymousreply 47November 10, 2019 8:30 AM

I watched the whole series in about a week. It’s interesting to me that people love the last couple of seasons most because the show for me gets progressively less funny and more sincere and romantic almost with every episode. It’s still very funny, but the edge has been shaved off the wit in a lit of cases because everyone in the family is opening up so much. I think it’s really courageous in a way for the writers to let the situations and the personalities evolve this way. Alexis and Moira were the most self-centered person on Earth and their well-meaning obliviousness was the primary situational reason they were so funny. Thank God for the actresses’ comic performances; without their deliveries and over-the-top mannerisms, the characters would not be nearly as funny anymore. To think Alexis made a selfless choice that also made her realize she will miss her family! And for me, “Stevie’s big character moment” really was more Moira’s big moment. Moira has been resisting becoming more selfless for a season or two and what she did for Stevie really demonstrated how Moira managed to raise such loving kids in spite of herself.

If Dan Levy really dreamed all this up, I’m madly in love with him. The show did remind me in a way of a successful heir to Absolutely Fabulous because of its preposterousness, but it turned into something that actually has a point and shows different kinds of authentic loving relationships.

by Anonymousreply 48November 10, 2019 8:41 AM

The way the engagement was done was very nice also a gay man’s dream. Last gay movie I saw once again a closeted man beat up the guy he was attracted and the filmmakers didn’t care about the outcome victim.

by Anonymousreply 49November 10, 2019 9:31 AM

I don’t care much for weddings, and so I am not really looking forward to that inevitable storyline. But I do love that Patrick gave David four wedding bands, a nod to how well he understands David’s eccentric style. I was also touched by Patrick’s exchange with his mother: she said she likes him but doesn’t understand his clothes. I expected Patrick to say yeah, nobody does but we love him anyway; instead, he told her that she will understand it when she gets to know him. I also love how they met—that Patrick was inexplicably in love with David at first sight (and after the crazy voice mail messages), and just went straight in for the kill immediately, and that the attraction has never been explained other than that Patrick just feels something for the first time. The show definitely is more of a romance more than it is a comedy at this point.

Honestly, I can’t lie. This show is a kind of unexpected therapy for me. When David was flailing around, near tears, and he said, “I’m damaged goods!” it was like watching myself as another person and thinking, yes, yes you are—and no you are not!

by Anonymousreply 50November 10, 2019 9:55 AM

Which is the better show, S.C. or Arrested development?

by Anonymousreply 51November 10, 2019 10:09 AM

R47 - I love that you said "well it's a sitcom so..." to your therapist just as David would have. Come sit by me. We'd have a blast.

by Anonymousreply 52November 10, 2019 10:26 AM

R49 What film was that?😳

by Anonymousreply 53November 10, 2019 3:27 PM

No love for Crows? That shit had me shrieking. Arrested development is too much like the Trumps now to fully enjoy. Except Jessica Walters.

by Anonymousreply 54November 10, 2019 3:36 PM

[quote]No love for Crows?

I thought you were answering r53's question and so I went looking for a gay movie titled No Love For Crows. And why am I now telling you all this?! 😩

by Anonymousreply 55November 10, 2019 3:58 PM

The Danish Boys r53. A compilation of short gay films I rented on Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 56November 10, 2019 6:17 PM

Dan Levy Cried Over the End of Schitt's Creek (and You Will Too)

Extensive interview with some very nice clothes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 13, 2019 6:46 PM

In order this is who I like from SC. Alexis is my favourite. She is the heart of the show. Excellent actor. Second would be Stevie, great actress and the best timing. Third would be Jocelyn. She is beautiful and also a great actor. Fourth would be Moira, though she can be annoying. Fifth would be Ted and some of the hot guys like Mutt and Jake who should both be legally required to be nude all the time! The other guys I don't care for or they are bad actors.

by Anonymousreply 58November 13, 2019 7:06 PM

The show is only funny because one of the funniest women on the planet is on it, otherwise it is merely okay.

Moira Rose is the only funny thing in it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 14, 2019 2:56 AM

Couldn't stand the show in its first 2-3 seasons. I started to warm up to it and really loving it in s3. The characters were simply too unlikable for me. The mother, the kids, they were all terribly self-centered and I perceived them as purely selfish. I didn't see any redeeming qualities to even like them a bit. There wasn't even a love hating them, just dislike. Especially David: I did understand that he was bruised by selfish parents and had not been able to form a personality. But there really wasn't anything but snark and cynicism. Stevie was set up as the normal and grounded character, but she was too weak to hold her own, imo. So then comes s3, the kids get into a relationship, and boom, they develop a less card board like personality, and all characters develop some small but noticeable redeeming qualities. Really love, how the characters are growing into real adult people with all their failures and successes. They're like awkward teenagers now.

At some point somebody suggested Moira Rose, O'Hara in-character, to present the Emmies. That could have been hilarious. Maybe next year.

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2019 12:21 PM

[quote]I actually thought that Stevie's finale (in Cabaret) was very touching.

Emily Hampshire doesn't have a great singing voice, but she nailed the pathos of "Maybe This Time."

I should be embarrassed by the number of times this show has made me cry--Patrick coming out to his parents, the proposal, Stevie's reaction to David telling her (even if she knew it was coming). I'm not.

Also, Patrick was hot as fuck in costume.

by Anonymousreply 61January 29, 2020 12:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!