Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are you watching on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime?

I'm working my way through The Order - it's about a secret order of powerful magicians at a posh university, and there's werewolves. It's not bad so far, and some of the guys are hot. Also I started watching Riverdale (yes, I'm very late to that), and am about three episodes in. I haven't really found anything I feel inspired to binge lately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 1, 2019 1:42 AM

Previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 8, 2019 12:53 AM

I happened across a series called, "Flowers" on Netflix. I loved it. I've finished the first season and I can't decide if it's a comedy or a drama. The cast is a delightful group of quirky characters who are given a great script.

by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2019 1:05 AM

I'm watching Atypical on Netflix. Thought it might be annoying but I actually find it pretty interesting. The way the mother acts out, though, isn't believable to me. That whole storyline with the bartender isn't resonating. Like the sibling relationship on the show.

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2019 1:19 AM

I'm watching this space drama Another Life. It's awful and badly acted and campy as hell and you wish all the characters would just die. But for some reason it's good television.

by Anonymousreply 4September 29, 2019 5:43 PM

The Politician is a glorious, hot mess. But a very entertaining mess.

by Anonymousreply 5September 29, 2019 5:45 PM

Ozark is excellent as is Fleabag, both big Emmy winners

by Anonymousreply 6September 29, 2019 5:46 PM

I'm loving Jake Manley and Adam Dimarco in The Order. The scene where Adam is teaching Jake how to transform was really hot. Wish they would just make out already. Surprised either doesn't have a thread on DL. Adam has played gay characters before, but only in minor roles.

by Anonymousreply 7September 29, 2019 6:17 PM

Carnival Row on amazon prime is great, don’t let the idiots here tell you otherwise. But on the lighter side of things I’ve recently been binge watching It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia on hulu and Elite on netflix.

by Anonymousreply 8September 29, 2019 6:56 PM

El Juego de las Llaves on Amazon Prime has a very hot gay storyline. The gay characters are hot as fuck too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 29, 2019 7:13 PM

One of the hot scenes from the show. Well worth the watch imo. The gay storyline was well done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 29, 2019 7:16 PM

I’ve recently binge watched Breaking Bad after avoiding it for years, and quite honestly it deserves all the hype it got. Possibly the best character study to come out of the 2000’s, the writing and acting definitely deserved awards.

by Anonymousreply 11September 29, 2019 7:29 PM

I think I’d give the edge to The Wire on that, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12September 29, 2019 7:49 PM

R12 I could never get into the wire. Things never happened, and the lack of action to move the plot forward would have been excusable to me if the characters weren’t such pieces of shit. The only two characters I found likable were Deangelo’s girl and the lesbian cop. Everybody else was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 13September 29, 2019 7:53 PM

Sorry, *The Wire

by Anonymousreply 14September 29, 2019 7:54 PM

I got laid off from my job about a month and a half ago. First I watched all three seasons of the Handmaids Tale. Last night I finished Game of Thrones (all 8 seasons). Next up: Chernobyl.

by Anonymousreply 15September 29, 2019 7:57 PM

R11, I was also late to that show. I don't like action movies/shows, but I gave the first couple of episodes a try, and I was sucked in by the interesting characters. I don't normally like violence, but some of the most violent scenes in that show were so creatively done, I nearly fell out of my chair. I started watching just a couple of weeks before the finale, so I had to hide out from all the finale spoilers for a few days. Luckily the final season was added to netflix almost immediately, so I could watch the ending without delay.

by Anonymousreply 16September 29, 2019 8:00 PM

Amazon Prime: The Boys, Hanna, Too Old to Die Young ( I don't recommend it but visually it's stunning). Netflix: The Umbrella Academy, Special

by Anonymousreply 17September 29, 2019 8:06 PM

I'm actually trying this thing called going outside.

by Anonymousreply 18September 29, 2019 8:07 PM

R18 Wow, good for you. The long climb down from your high horse must do wonders for your glutes!

by Anonymousreply 19September 29, 2019 8:12 PM

Going outside isn't an option for me as it is almost October, 95 degrees and bone dry here with no relief in sight. I stayed in the AC and recently watched Lunatics on Netflix, which was pretty amusing if you like semi-offensive Aussie humor.

by Anonymousreply 20September 29, 2019 8:22 PM

No plot to The Wire? If anything the plots were too baroque to allow casual watching.

And if you want to "like" characters...I guess I just never understand that. I am watching Succession on Amazon and it has some dull patches but the great thing is that there is not a single "likable" character on it.

by Anonymousreply 21September 29, 2019 9:30 PM

[quote] And if you want to "like" characters...I guess I just never understand that.

I can understand it—sure. But it also informs me about what the person means by “character development.” I think they mean more like the Syd Field screenplay type of character development.

I think human beings are much more complex than good guys and bad guys—than the good guy overcoming adversity to prevail in the end. Often bad people prevail and good people are crushed.

And there’s good and bad in everyone, so I like shades of grey in characters. I actually like most of the characters in The Wire — even a lot of the drug dealers.

But people can get out of entertainment whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 22September 29, 2019 11:24 PM

Carnival Row was pretty good. I was sad that there were no young, attractive gay, male characters. Plus, it’s sad to remember how magnificent Orlando Bloom used to be, when you see his deep wrinkles.

by Anonymousreply 23September 29, 2019 11:32 PM

[quote]Plus, it’s sad to remember how magnificent Orlando Bloom used to be, when you see his deep wrinkles.

Time marches on sooner or later you realize it's marchin' across your face.

by Anonymousreply 24September 29, 2019 11:42 PM

Another Life is the gayest sci fi I have ever seen. Unfortunately it's not that good.

by Anonymousreply 25September 30, 2019 12:43 AM

R21/R22 I don’t think The Wire has no plot, it definitely has one, it’s just too slow moving for my taste. And not even in a gradual GOT way that has an eventual payoff, it just felt sluggish to me. Like getting through each episode was a chore.

Also, as far as liking the characters goes, I typically prefer shows where there aren’t many likable characters (Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, House Of Cards), but The Wire forces you to pretend as if the cops are the people we should be rooting for. The underdogs, the heroes. And absolutely none of them outside for the lesbian (and even she had some questionable moments) were likable. The criminals were well written, each of them felt human and morally ambiguous in a real way. But the problem was we weren’t supposed to root for them. The show made it clear that we were supposed to care about and support the cops, despite the fact that they were all pieces of shit. At worst they were they fat Mark Walberg-esque guy, who was a racist sadist, and at best they were McNulty, who was disturbingly incapable of empathy and toyed with people on the regular to get what he wanted. I don’t have a problem with morally grey characters, but I do have a problem with a show presenting us with anti-hero/villainous characters and insisting that they’re who we should root for.

by Anonymousreply 26September 30, 2019 12:47 AM

Memories of the Alhambra. Korean thriller / sci fi / magic realism set in contemporary Grenada Spain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 30, 2019 12:55 AM

R27 What a weird combination. I think I’ll check that one out.

by Anonymousreply 28September 30, 2019 12:57 AM

I love/hate Cara Delevingne. Is she any fun in Carnival Row?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 30, 2019 12:58 AM

R29 Luckily, the fact that she shares the spotlight with Bloom comes to the show’s advantage. She’s there just the right amount, not too little that you don’t understand her character and not too much that she ruins the show/becomes a nuisance.

by Anonymousreply 30September 30, 2019 1:02 AM

She must be easy to work with. She keeps getting hired and keeps working but has a very limited range. If she were a cunt they wouldn't keep hiring her year after year.

by Anonymousreply 31September 30, 2019 1:14 AM

R21, Succession is on HBO, not Amazon.

I started watching Succession out of curiousity since I heard it was based on the Murdochs. Season 2 won some Emmys. So far, it's pretty good. The characters are not that likable but it's interesting tv.

by Anonymousreply 32September 30, 2019 1:38 AM

Of course everyone ages but Orlando Bloom is getting hit really, really hard.

by Anonymousreply 33September 30, 2019 1:40 AM

I’m watching Cuckoo on Netflix and living me some Taylor Lautner and Friday Night Lights on Prime. K?

by Anonymousreply 34September 30, 2019 1:51 AM

MindHunter - the best series on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 35September 30, 2019 1:55 AM

Who "roots for" characters? I guess when you are a kid, but as an adult who does that?

I mean, who do you root for in King Lear? Where are the "likable" characters in Medea?

by Anonymousreply 36September 30, 2019 2:08 AM

Amazon has HBO, Showtime and a number of networks available--either individual shows or the whole slate.

For those of us without a television or cable, it is convenient to have it all in one place.

by Anonymousreply 37September 30, 2019 2:10 AM

I'm making my way through "Girls" on Prime right now. Somehow, the writers and actors manage to get you to care about these characters even though they're all just slightly different versions of insufferable. I'm on season 4, and it's starting to feel stale as the characters are put in unbelievable situations in an attempt to liven things up. But it's still fun.

by Anonymousreply 38September 30, 2019 2:11 AM

Mindhunter is good but a little too drearily slow. If Anna Torv wasn't in it, I don't think I'd keep watching it.

R36, you are a bore. We don't all want to live your lame, unimaginative life.

by Anonymousreply 39September 30, 2019 2:13 AM

I've just finished The Path on Hulu. I was obsessed start to finish. I've never seen better world building of a fictional religion before.

by Anonymousreply 40October 10, 2019 9:47 AM

Just got done watching The Politician on Netflix, waiting for El Camino (Breaking Bad) to start Friday.

by Anonymousreply 41October 10, 2019 9:50 AM

The Politician had potential but I found the main actor too damn irritating.

by Anonymousreply 42November 1, 2019 1:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!