Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"IT Chapter Two" - Its a fucking MESS and I hated the gay characters in the opening scene! (Possible Spoilers)

It is messy as all hell. Do not get me wrong, it had its moments, but overall it was choppy in its editing, the script was shit, and the cast had almost no chemistry with one another, which bothered me a lot because all the child actors had such strong chemistry with one another.

The opening scene was sad to watch, as two gay men in Derry get attacked and beaten, with one being thrown into the water to drown and his boyfriend rushing to save him. Pennywise "saves" him first and then in front of his BF rips his heart out with his mouth and eats it. We never see the other gay guy again and you dont know if hes killed also or not. My issue with this couple was the over the top mouth of the one boyfriend the Bigots try to kill. He literally doenst shut the fuck up and keeps mouthing off, being super fem and over the top. He sees they are mad at them as is and want to hurt them, but he still keeps pushing them by running his mouth and insulting them, no matter how many times his BF (the one that grew up in Derry) tells him to shut up and just walk away. I was getting so mad he would not just shut the fuck up and walk away like his BF was telling him.

The first one had a lot of heart and charm, especially the scenes with the Loser club not fighting Pennywise (like when they were cleaning Bevs bathroom together, or jumped off the cliff together), while this one lacks all of that and feels a bit... empty. Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy have almost no chemistry with each other at all, which is so sad because their child counterparts were both very charming and the chemistry was strong.

The flashback scenes with the kids DID NOT WORK because most of the kids look/sound older. The actor that plays child Eddie was short in the first with a high kid voice, while here hes taller, leaner, his face looks more mature, and it almost seemed like a voice was dubbed over his being that his voice changed. The ones that looked the most different of the kids were Bill, Eddie, and Henry (who looks the same but more thick/buff and his voice sounds deeper).

The actor that plays adult Henry is terrible!!! He looked like he was just running around without knowing what to do. I cant believe they had his friend that died in the sewer 27 years prior help break him out of the mental ward and drive him around to help try and kill the Losers, and then his death is so fast and stupid that you do not care! All this build up for nothing!!!

James Ransone is easily the weak link of the main cast. I feel bad saying this, but he was very bad at some parts, like cringey bad. His line deliveries were pretty bad, he looked like he wanted to laugh most times, and he blended the least with anyone in the cast. I find him super cute and he has a certain charm to him, but he just did not capture the essence of Eddie and the character his younger actor created.

I will say... Mike is important this time, unlike the first where he was "invisible" and I think we have a future DL fav with Jay Ryan aka adult Ben. He looks beautiful in this film! I have seen him before and was whatever, but he looked striking in this movie. Insane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558June 6, 2021 4:12 PM

“It” dragged on for much too long. The life and death battle at the end just kept going and going. It stopped being scary after a while, it was so extreme. Things that are plausible - like the Night Stalker - are a thousand times scarier to me than a killer clown who lives in a sewer and shapeshifts. That teenage girl’s dad was scarier.

Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 1September 6, 2019 1:34 AM

OP, in the book, the remaining gay lover survives and describes the town of Derry as a cooze with maggots, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 2September 6, 2019 1:35 AM

I watched the first 20 minutes of the first remake a couple years ago and had to turn it off because it was so bad. The fact that people are eating this up is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 3September 6, 2019 1:38 AM

R3 I liked the first one more than I thought I would. I found the children very charming and the girl that played Bev was incredibly charismatic.

I liked the scenes with them just hanging out more than the scenes with Pennywise.

R2 Thanks! We never see or hear from him again so I wondered if we know more in the book. The one that survives is the one that grew up in Derry, and he is telling his boyfriend that although he loves his hometown he wants to leave because hes tired of dealing with small minded people so he wants to move to NYC, but the BF doesnt want to move to NYC it seems, so he promises him that if he doesnt like NYC they can move back to Derry. This annoyed me because you would think there are only two places to live in the world. Are there no other cities they can move to if the BF doesnt want to live in NYC? And if they do move to NYC and they dont like it, why move back to Derry? Is there no other city, suburb or town in general for them to live in where they dont have to deal with the Derry bigots?

by Anonymousreply 4September 6, 2019 1:46 AM

The Final Battle is terrible!!! It would not end and wasnt even exciting to watch. It just kept going and going, like R1 said. Its very bad. The way they finally kill Pennywise is so stupid.

I hated that Eddie is the one that dies. Does he die in the book? And I found it sad that Stanley kills himself (does he kill himself in the book or does Pennywise kill him?) and leaves behind his wife etc. simply because he was too scared to face Pennywise again.

And I am sorry, but what are the odds that every fucking character minus Mike, the black one, are super wealthy is successful? I mean come on. I can see them all being successful in their fields but I doubt all the characters minus Mike would be as wealthy as they all were, living in luxury.

Its sad that Beverly ended up marrying a man just like her father that beats her and rapes her, and funny that Eddie married a woman that is just like his mom. The scene with him on the phone with her was funny.

Its implied Richie (Bill Hader) is gay, and hes closeted, and he was in love with Eddie all these years.

by Anonymousreply 5September 6, 2019 1:52 AM

All of that is from the book. Except Eddie seemed closeted not Richie.

by Anonymousreply 6September 6, 2019 1:54 AM

The newest "It" was insufferable due to all the schlocky acting by the lame kid actors with the GREAT exception of Sophia Lillis, who I think will be an iconic actress.

I highly doubt I can sit through a 3 hour sequel. I couldn't even finish the first.

Speaking of horror sequels, the "The Shining" sequel will be a tremendous flop.

by Anonymousreply 7September 6, 2019 1:57 AM

Stephen King must have been high on lots of coke (or other things) for the Deadlights ending in the novel.

by Anonymousreply 8September 6, 2019 1:58 AM

Saw Part Two tonite and it was just meh. Some good scenes, but the overall movie was a letdown. I thought the first one was a thousand times better and the kids did indeed have more chemistry. I was not rooting for any of these adult characters, and could not have cared less who lives and who dies.

by Anonymousreply 9September 6, 2019 2:01 AM

It's not a coincidence that they're all successful. It's the result of their earlier run-in with Pennywise. They all lead blessed lives for like twenty years...then it's time to pay the piper.

by Anonymousreply 10September 6, 2019 2:02 AM

In the movie Bill is a writer and it’s an ongoing joke that he fucked up the ending to his iconic book, and everyone tells him the ending sucked. I felt that was written because many people tell Stephen King they love the book but the ending sucked.

There’s a scene where Bill wants to buy his old bike from an antique store or pawn shop, and the worker is Stephen King. Bill sees he has a copy of his book on the counter and asks him if he wants a signature and Stephen King tells him NO because the ending sucked lol.

by Anonymousreply 11September 6, 2019 2:03 AM

If Mike hadn’t spoken to any of them in 27 years (in some cases), how did he have all of their numbers to call when it was time to bring them back?

And they all came back and none remembered a damn thing, including each other at times. I get them not remembering Pennywise, but each other?

Ben was so sweet. Ugh. It’s just real that even though he was hot as fuck now he was still that fat insecure kid deep down. You never lose that, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 12September 6, 2019 2:07 AM

[quote]And I am sorry, but what are the odds that every fucking character minus Mike, the black one, are super wealthy is successful? I mean come on. I can see them all being successful in their fields but I doubt all the characters minus Mike would be as wealthy as they all were, living in luxury.

Seems like SJW-think. or whatever you want to call it. Most white people like most yellow / red / black / other... "brown"? people aren't successful.

And my statement is based on people who live inside and outside the U.S. for the USians who don't get that.

by Anonymousreply 13September 6, 2019 2:09 AM

R13 agree.

Beverly lives in a huge gorgeous mini mansion with her abusive hubby, Ben lives in a gorgeous house that would cost a few million on a beach I believe, Bill lives in a nice place and is a best selling author whose book is being adapted into a film and he’s married to a successful actress, Richie is a successful stand up comic that is wealthy, Eddie is a wealthy man working in NYC ... we don’t know what Stanley does but he had a nice home and big bathroom we see when he kills himself.

Mike is the only one that is behind in Derry waiting to kill Pennywise and lives in a room. In the end he packs up and is ready to move away and live his life finally.

by Anonymousreply 14September 6, 2019 2:16 AM

Wait, is this Jay Ryan’s wife?! Boy can get so much hotter!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 6, 2019 2:19 AM

😍😍😍😍

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 6, 2019 2:22 AM

Stan is an accountant.

I haven’t seen it yet, but to those of you who have seen in, do you think Bill Hader will have Oscar Buzz? I’ve read on Twitter that some people think he will get a nom

Also, I did see a screenshot of Finn Wolfhard where they CGI his face to make him look younger like he did in the first one— the scene was where he carves his and Eddie’s initials in the bridge, and that CGI looked BAD.

by Anonymousreply 17September 6, 2019 2:31 AM

It's a trashy McDonald's-caliber horror movie, so I would extremely surprised if Hader got nominated for an Oscar, let alone a Golden Globe. Horror movies almost never do—even arty stuff like "Suspiria" last year got zero recognition from those institutions.

by Anonymousreply 18September 6, 2019 2:34 AM

R17 not a chance. Hader was good but the script was atrocious and he didn’t have any big moment. Nothing Oscar about it.

by Anonymousreply 19September 6, 2019 2:45 AM

Someone else was dubbed over Jack Dylan Grazers voice to make him still sound like he did in the first.

Yes they did all they could to make them look and sound like they did in the first but it didn’t work.

They knew they were gonna do this, I don’t know why they didn’t try getting the sequel done sooner.

by Anonymousreply 20September 6, 2019 2:51 AM

From IMDb

“The young actors who were the Losers Club in chapter one grew tremendously in the 2 years following filming. They had to be digitally 'de-aged' in some scenes as they looked significantly older than before.”

by Anonymousreply 21September 6, 2019 2:58 AM

From watching the press tour, it’s obvious that JDG does NOT care for James Ransone and Bill Hader, lol. Although it’s refreshing he’s not media trained yet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 6, 2019 3:41 AM

JDG?

by Anonymousreply 23September 6, 2019 3:45 AM

While Hader is really good in the movie and outshines everyone else, the script and the pacing even do him and Richie a disservice. I could have happily spent an extra five or ten minutes on him alone and his feelings for Eddie. I know a lot of people are complaining about the run time but I was fine with the length, just not what they chose to focus on. The Henry Bowers sideplot could have easily been cut and not have affected the movie in any real way.

In any case, I don't see any major awards in his future for this role. If the movie surrounding him were better then maybe.

by Anonymousreply 24September 6, 2019 3:47 AM

Jack Dylan Grazer, r23. He's the actor who plays young Eddie.

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2019 3:47 AM

I'm seeing so many mixed reactions to this movie. I thought the first one was a little too safe and Goosebumps-y for me. Does this one get any more mature or is it still a little on the goofy side?

by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2019 3:54 AM

It's probably even more goofy in terms of the CGI, jump scares, and some of the jokes/humour. It was an adult version of The Goonies, basically. But it's more mature in terms of how it treats childhood trauma.

And for a horror movie, I didn't find it at all scary but the psychological focus was more effective.

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2019 3:59 AM

R26 I feel it’s less safe in that we see Pennywise kill 2 kids and it’s bloody but otherwise it’s even more goofy and safe. They were dropping one liner after one liner and making jokes in spots where jokes shouldn’t be.

R23 Jack Dylan Grazer, who plays young Eddie. It’s very obvious he didn’t like Ransone much, as he’s constantly throwing shade at him in his comments, like saying this is the greatest film he will ever be in despite having been acting for over 20 years etc. And apparently Ransone picked up on that and shared with his co-stars that he doesn’t think JDG likes him.

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2019 4:00 AM

Didn't JDG get in trouble for sending a sex vid of him banging at 11 or 12? And she was much older.

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2019 4:04 AM

Saw the movie tonight, Mcavoy and Chastain were so dull in this I want to fall asleep. Hader and Ransone were good but not nearly as good as the reactions said. All the kids parts were great but the cgi were so distracting. And I hated the way they killed pennywise for how perdictable and visually bland it was. R22 James Ransone does not have much media training either, judging from that rant about how JDG will have a hard life at the end of this video lol.

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2019 4:09 AM

JDG hasn’t been trained yet on how to do interviews and behave for the media and cameras. He says and does whatever comes to his mind. And I love that. He’s normal and human and says what he’s thinking.

But he’s gotta learn before that shit bites him.

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2019 4:09 AM

Yes r30, Ransone doesn’t seem to like his younger counterpart any more than Jack likes him.

Jack even said that they ran into each other at a BBQ and it was awkward and uncomfortable for them. I imagine it’s like when you run into someone you don’t like and you know they don’t like you but you try being polite and make small talk lol.

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2019 4:11 AM

James said on a podcast that he thinks Jack’s life is going to be hard at a certain point because his brain works so fast which makes it difficult for him to relate to people. The hosts seemed shocked he brought it up

I also loved the interview where Jeremy was talking about how he had a great conversation with both James McAlvoy and Bill Hader and how down tonesrj they both were, and Jack snipes ”Bill Hader, down to earth? Hilarious!” and then Jeremy whispers, “Bill Hader is a great guy” to which Jack replies “No he’s not!”

You just know someone had a talk with him after that, ha

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2019 4:14 AM

I wonder why he dislikes Ransone.

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2019 4:15 AM

R33 Woops, meant down to earth instead of tonersj, iPhone keypad is weird

by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2019 4:15 AM

Man, that kid talks a lot of shit and clearly thinks he all that. I know a lot of us went through that same bratty phase but we weren't famous Hollywood actors giving interviews. His team need to talk to him before he alienates people in a way that affects his career prospects.

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2019 4:19 AM

JDG calls people "fags" and such. Sweet boy.

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2019 4:21 AM

Jack Dylan Grazer is Brian Grazer's nephew and was born into the business. He's obviously intelligent but will probably end up a drug addict—many kids with his temperament do.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2019 4:25 AM

I saw it yesterday having enjoyed the first one, but it was just dreadful. So long and boring and the "scary" bits were funny but not in a good way. Disappointing.

The scariest part was wondering if it would ever end.

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2019 4:27 AM

Relax, what Jack said about Hader was clearly a joke and no one was taking it seriously. I think he's a brat but in a self aware kind of way, like how he joked multiple times on how he will be a juvenile delinquent without acting, or the kids wont be friends in the future because he will be in prison.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2019 4:30 AM

JDG is incredibly intelligent. He’s also born into the business so he will always have work.

He needs to learn to filter himself though. There was an interview where they were asked about what they thought when they first met their older counterparts and he made a quick jerk off gesture, and then stopped himself. So good that he stopped himself from bringing up Ransone cumming on film, and hopefully he will one day know to not even thing of gesturing it at all.

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2019 4:33 AM

I don’t think Jack’s joking, I think he’s being honest and doesn’t give a shit, which is pretty funny and kind of nice to see someone who refuses to be “on brand”. The other kids wide eyed/quick-change-of-subject reactions to whatever he says is funny too. I think he’s also the youngest of the cast (Chosen is the oldest at 18) so he will eventually mature

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2019 4:38 AM

The scariest part was the cgi for the kids. Finn Wolfhard's cgi face was probably the most creepy thing I saw this month. Ironically, those scenes with the kids are still the best thing about this movie, I espically like all the Young Bev sequences.

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2019 4:48 AM

Someone on another forum referred to him as Richie Tozier: Battle Angel, which I thought was hilariously accurate.

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2019 4:56 AM

Sophia Lillis is a lovely girl, and very sweet and pretty and TALENTED. She was the strongest link in the first film and again here. She’s very talented and charismatic.

I feel JDG is the best when it comes to natural reaction. His facial expressions are very natural and real. He is amazing at reacting. And I also feel he’s being honest. He just says whatever he feels. He has no filter. The other young actors all look uncomfortable at times because they have to always get back on track because he says WHATEVER and they’ve all been trained to do otherwise.

In this video he speaks about how he pulled a “Sharon Tate” to get into IT Chapter One

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 6, 2019 4:57 AM

R11, they must be referring to The Stand.

by Anonymousreply 46September 6, 2019 5:10 AM

The over the top gay guy was annoying because he was such a stereotype.

But you also can’t get mad because some gay men are just like that.

by Anonymousreply 47September 6, 2019 12:42 PM

I want to watch it again to see how I feel about it on a second viewing.

by Anonymousreply 48September 6, 2019 1:59 PM

The gay guys in the book were extremely effeminate, almost - forgive me- clown like. As TIME magazine said at the time, King made homosexuality look worse than torturing cats. They wore makeup, tight satin pants and when one of them got punched, he "screamed."

Ah, 1986. Fuck you and never come back.

by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2019 2:21 PM

R49 well they weren’t THAT bad here r49 lol.

One was a normal guy, quiet, grew up in Derry so he knew how to handle the bigots (just ignore them and walk away) as opposed to his very flamboyant transplant boyfriend that kept mouthing off and sounded like Jonathan from Queer Eye when he spoke.

by Anonymousreply 50September 6, 2019 2:29 PM

I’m watching it again right now.

by Anonymousreply 51September 6, 2019 5:28 PM

It's no surprise that these movies are successful since they reflect our current reality in which the nation and the entire world is being tormented daily by the demented clown in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 52September 6, 2019 5:46 PM

So Richie is gay in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 53September 6, 2019 5:51 PM

R53 Yes

by Anonymousreply 54September 6, 2019 5:53 PM

Richie is gay but he’s closeted. Pennywise tells him he knows his dirty little secret before attacking him after he remembers being a kid and basically flirting with a kid that turns out to be Henry’s cousin visiting. He tells Henry and Richie gets bullied for being a “fairy”.

In the end of the film when Eddie dies he takes it the hardest and you see him carving the R + E again as an adult while crying, because he secretly was in love with Eddie.

by Anonymousreply 55September 6, 2019 5:58 PM

I haven’t seen either film yet, but why weren’t the two movies filmed simultaneously, at least the kid parts, so CGI didn’t have to be a last resort? Seems like there should have been a master plan to cover both parts.

by Anonymousreply 56September 6, 2019 6:09 PM

Too bad, OP.

The real critics like it, just like the last one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 6, 2019 6:15 PM

This kid being the asshole really bothers me. I am usually all for actors being honest about their co stars, but this guy is so spoiled and entitled. I like Ransone. He was terrific in Generation Kill. It seems like this kid was hoping to be played by more famous and handsome actor.

by Anonymousreply 58September 6, 2019 6:17 PM

OP = the same Troll Shitstain who had to spoil HALLOWEEN 2018.

by Anonymousreply 59September 6, 2019 6:17 PM

It has serious pacing issues and not as strong as Part I, but OP is hysterical. It's a solid.

by Anonymousreply 60September 6, 2019 6:28 PM

R58 he wanted Jake Gyllenhaal to play his older version.

by Anonymousreply 61September 6, 2019 6:31 PM

I thought the casting was great, James, Isaiah and Andy are dead ringers for their respective characters. Even with Ben, where the casting was supposed to be a total physical switch, you can see how Jay looks like the original kid. I don’t think Finn and Bill look that much alike but they are both very distinct looking so it works. Amy Adams would have been the better for physical choice to play Beverly but Jessica can play the grit

by Anonymousreply 62September 6, 2019 6:32 PM

R58 He doesn't care for Hader either, so I don't think it was because Ransone wasn't famous euough. These two do share similar personalities, except PJ is more cynical and JDG's more snarky. I always feel weird when I meet someone that's very much like me, so that can be the reason they are awkward around each other.

by Anonymousreply 63September 6, 2019 6:37 PM

[quote]I always feel weird when I meet someone that's very much like me, so that can be the reason they are awkward around each other.

This is a good point. When I was in graduate school, I had classes with a guy who was very similar to me in demeanor and style, and I was so uncomfortable around him it was ridiculous. I talked to him on occasion and it was always incredibly awkward, and for no real reason—the vibe was so weird that for a time I thought it might have been sexual tension, but I'm pretty sure he was straight. He is the only person I've ever met where this has happened, and in retrospect I think it was because we were so similar to one another, and both sensed it.

by Anonymousreply 64September 6, 2019 6:44 PM

R63

Ransone is a working actor who was struggling for decades. Grazer is a nephew of very powerful and famous Hollywood producer. His bitchy disrespectful comments are not coming from the place of honesty, it's pure entitlement. He knows he can get away with that. Other children are more polite because they were raised well. Seriously, it's so annoying. And i really liked him in the first movie.

by Anonymousreply 65September 6, 2019 6:48 PM

Finn and Bill interview each other

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 6, 2019 6:48 PM

Amen R65. The little fucker needs smacked upside his head.

by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2019 6:51 PM

Grazer will probably implode by age 20

by Anonymousreply 68September 6, 2019 6:52 PM

Jessica and Sophia. Jessica seems like a really nice person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 6, 2019 6:53 PM

The queeny gay guy is played by Quebecois wunderkind and suuuuper gay director Xavier Dolan, who had the gumption to cut Jessica Chastain out of his most recent film

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2019 6:54 PM

Just got back from seeing the matinee.

I enjoyed it for the most part but the CGI was ridiculous and not scary. The giant old lady, giant spider legs Pennywise, etc...

It surprisingly had a lot of heart and I even got choked up a bit at the end when they were in the water and Hader broke down crying at losing Eddie.

When Richie was younger and first started carving the initials I thought for sure it was for Stanley. But looking back they did have a weird relationship...like Eddie rubbing his feet on Richie's face in the hammock.

by Anonymousreply 71September 6, 2019 6:54 PM

If Karma exists, Grazer will age as well as Haley Joel Osment.

Dolan is incredibly obnoxious in life, so it was equal parts deeply upsetting and enjoyable to see him get his ass kicked.

by Anonymousreply 72September 6, 2019 6:57 PM

R68 he will probably be an opiate addict before he's of legal age. He has the mentality of the attention-seeking playground bully who grows up to be a drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2019 6:58 PM

Ransone was in The Wire. If Grazer ever gets in anything half that good, it’d be a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2019 7:01 PM

He was getting stoned on Instagram live when he was 14 R73. He is clearly a hellion—probably grew up with little to no parental regulation, in the thick of Hollywood life, partying, etc.—he will suffer greatly as he ages. Ransone is right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2019 7:03 PM

Can you really spoil an over 30 year old story, R59?

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2019 7:05 PM

I mean how good can a movie be when the bad guy's arch enemy is a turtle.

by Anonymousreply 77September 6, 2019 7:10 PM

R74 Isn't he playing the lead in that Luca HBO show? He's definitely spoiled both in life and career. This VF recap they just released is quite boring but the first time we see all the kid and adult counterparts being paired together. I love Wyatt and Andy Bean as a duo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2019 7:12 PM

I think a big issue, and I mentioned it to friends last night, is that adults in peril is not as compelling as kids.

by Anonymousreply 79September 6, 2019 7:17 PM

Glazer predicted in one of these videos that It will probably the best and biggest movie he'll ever be in. If he doesn't watch himself, that could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2019 7:20 PM

This queen I know just posted a rant as to how the filmmakers are irresponsible and will inspire homophobic copycats...

Um....

by Anonymousreply 81September 6, 2019 7:31 PM

Oh, great. Just what we need - another self-righteous idiot who blames movies for real violence. People like that should just kill themselves.

by Anonymousreply 82September 6, 2019 7:35 PM

R80 he wasn’t speaking about himself. He was mocking Ransone when he said that. The other kids picked up on it and Jaeden whispers “Ransone?” To him because all Glazer does is shit on Ransone.

by Anonymousreply 83September 6, 2019 7:50 PM

r78 Do have to congratulate them on casting old Stanley. It's probably the smallest main role in the movie but he looks so much like Wyatt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 6, 2019 7:53 PM

I'm not clear who that guy on the left is at the OP's photo, but he's very beautiful--like a much more handsome Andrew Rannells.

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2019 7:53 PM

R85 That’s Jay Ryan

by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2019 8:00 PM

R85 that is Jay Ryan, who plays adult Ben in Chapter 2.

I fell in love with him watching this. Gorgeous and has a BEAUTIFUL BODY. Those thighs....

by Anonymousreply 87September 6, 2019 8:01 PM

R83

Disgusting. This kid is a bully. And dumb, considering Ransone was in The Wire.

by Anonymousreply 88September 6, 2019 8:01 PM

Ransone isn’t a known actor and struggled for many years. He was in The Wire but all people think about that do know of him is that he jerked off and came on camera for a movie

by Anonymousreply 89September 6, 2019 8:03 PM

It Cast finds out which character they would be

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 6, 2019 8:03 PM

R89

Lol, no. Datalounge is probably the only place where Ken Park and that scene are mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 91September 6, 2019 8:08 PM

R83 C'mon. He's clearly talking about his own experience. I find him annoying as much as the next person, but stop making shit up about a 15 yo.

by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2019 8:09 PM

R91 im sure the teenage cast of IT Chapter 2 became very aware of it after he was cast. Grazer seems upset that’s who is playing an adult him. He wants Gyllenhaal!

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2019 8:11 PM

R92 in the context you see he’s speaking of Ransone. Not himself.

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2019 8:12 PM

I've always thought Ransone was so hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2019 8:12 PM

There’s an entire thread dedicated to that scene r95

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 6, 2019 8:13 PM

R94 Are we talking about the same video? I assume it's this interview at 6:10. The question was something they will never forget about the IT movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 6, 2019 8:15 PM

I really wish they'd cast Elizabeth Olsen in the Beverly role. With her hair dyed red, she would've been a dead ringer for Sophia Lillis. Jessica Shitstain got the part because she had worked with the director on that awful movie "Mama" which everyone bizarrely seemed to think was a horror classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 6, 2019 8:19 PM

R98 Too young

by Anonymousreply 99September 6, 2019 8:21 PM

Olsen is 30. The character is supposed to be like 41.

Any Adams was too expensive and would have eaten up too much or the budget. Hence, Chastain. Plus the director loves her.

by Anonymousreply 100September 6, 2019 8:23 PM

I guess Olsen is a bit young, but they could've aged her slightly. She does look an awful lot like the younger counterpart.

by Anonymousreply 101September 6, 2019 8:29 PM

Who cares about looks? Olsen acts the same in everything and has a grating voice.

by Anonymousreply 102September 6, 2019 8:32 PM

I thought the fat kid did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 103September 6, 2019 8:50 PM

Elizabeth Olsen is a fantastic actress. I find her much more watchable than Jessica Chastain, but different strokes, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 104September 6, 2019 8:52 PM

Chastain always seems so serious in everything. The only thing I've found her likable in was The Help where she plays the well meaning ditz. She was adorable and fun in that. I wish she'd do something like that again.

by Anonymousreply 105September 6, 2019 8:56 PM

That is part of why I do not like her, R105. She approaches roles in a very "drama school" way that, ironically, makes herself more visible and the character less so. She is not a character actress whatsoever, although she seems to try to be.

by Anonymousreply 106September 6, 2019 9:02 PM

Jessica will be playing Tammy Faye Baker soon!

by Anonymousreply 107September 6, 2019 9:02 PM

I sometimes feel for actors who have the good (and bad) fortune of coming onto the scene by being in multiple movies over the span of one year. It's like they came out of nowhere and are suddenly in everything. Chastain was like that and I do think a lot of the backlash against her is because we got too much too soon. At the same time, I've still never warmed to her much. I find her very stiff and cold.

by Anonymousreply 108September 6, 2019 9:15 PM

Here’s James Ransone’s ass in The Wire, in case anybody is interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 6, 2019 9:20 PM

Here’s his ass again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 6, 2019 9:21 PM

The girl who plays Beverly played young Amy Adams in Sharp Objects, so it would be interesting to see them working with one another again in vaguely similar roles.

by Anonymousreply 111September 6, 2019 9:23 PM

James Ransone is very handsome--the cute ass is a major bonus.

by Anonymousreply 112September 6, 2019 9:35 PM

R112 Indeed. I wonder if he ever sold it while he was a drug addict.

by Anonymousreply 113September 6, 2019 9:41 PM

Jay Ryan is gorgeous but I found him very dull in this. There was zero chemistry between him and Chastain - or the rest of the cast.

And I thought McAvoy was miscast - he was nothing like the young actor from part one. McAvoy couldn't pull off the shy sensitivity of Lieberher/Martell; he's too rough and unpolished. (Why did that kid change his name anyway? I mean I understand Martell is easier than Lieberher but why change it after you're already established?)

Hader and Ransome were the most believable as older versions of the young actors. Chosen Jacobs had so little to do in the first movie it's hard to compare him with Isaiah Mustafa.

And I missed the point of the gay bashing scene at the beginning. Was it just to generate sympathy for Hader's closeted gay character later on? If so they didn't tie it together at all.

by Anonymousreply 114September 6, 2019 10:42 PM

I think the fight at the beginning was supposed to tie into Richie’s fear of being honest about his life

by Anonymousreply 115September 6, 2019 11:12 PM

So is this a movie where we're suppose to feel sad for the closeted tragic gay and feel repulsed by the out and loud big city faggot?

by Anonymousreply 116September 6, 2019 11:29 PM

Some of you guys clearly haven’t read the book. The gay bashing scene was in the book as well, and it was supposed to show how Pennywise attaches himself to the prejudices of whatever time he awakens in and feeds off of them. In the 50’s it was racism, with Mike’s turmoil being a big catalyst to the events that unfold. When Pennywise comes back in the book and the kids are adults, it’s the 80’s so he uses the heightened homophobia of the AIDS age as a catalyst to feed off of. It wasn’t there without reason, the scene is meant to show how Pennywise is a symbol the worst parts of society and humanity. It’s hard to get that context with the new movie because it’s set in modern day, but it was intended for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 117September 6, 2019 11:38 PM

This book was written in 1986, during a very different time with different attitudes about gay people. I think maybe not overreact so strongly about it?

by Anonymousreply 118September 6, 2019 11:38 PM

Little Known Fact: Faye Dunaway was fired from IT Chapter Two for calling Pennywise 'little homosexual boy'.

by Anonymousreply 119September 6, 2019 11:50 PM

[quote]Grazer is a nephew of very powerful and famous Hollywood producer. His bitchy disrespectful comments are not coming from the place of honesty, it's pure entitlement.

When I saw It, I thought "Boy, the kid who plays 'Eddie' seems like such a little shit." His acting wasn't very good. Like he seems like a "stage kid" and I never believed he was "Eddie." Why am I not surprised by what you're saying about him? He seems like an entitled little douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 120September 7, 2019 12:08 AM

Stanley kills himself (does he kill himself in the book or does Pennywise kill him? He kills himself in the book

R117 is right; Stephen King books are entertaining, but they do tend to be rather dated

James Ransone is a good actor & seemed very humble and generous during the GK press tour (the guy he played seemed adore him); too bad he got an attitude from the kid.

by Anonymousreply 121September 7, 2019 12:09 AM

I actually feel Glazer gives the best performance out of the kids in Chapter One, minus Lillis, who is a natural standout.

I found him funny and his mannerisms and facial expressions are always genuine and real.

It’s a shame he’s such a little prick.

The opening scene does show why Richie is afraid to come out, because despite how everyone claims they don’t care, many do care and hate gays. Not always outwardly, but they do. He’s also a famous Comedian, so that could hurt him career wise also.

It also is the crime scene Mike comes to and sees the message from Pennywise. Pennywise killed an adult to get Mikes attention in the movie, and he did. It just happened to be a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 122September 7, 2019 12:31 AM

R114 I liked Jay Ryan as Ben. Ben is a pretty dull character. He was a lonely bullied fat kid that we feel for. He’s insecure and keeps to himself. We saw him watch Bev and Bill fall for each other in the first one and remain quiet a few times, and we see him just stay quiet in this one. That’s who he is.

You may be able to change what you look like externally but that won’t change what you are internally. Inside he will always feel like that insecure fat kid, that’s realistic.

I will say that my theater clapped in the end when we see Bev on the boat with Ben, and it’s cute they end up together, but is it really that sweet? When he was a kid and fat she was sweet to him but never gave him the time of day in a romantic way. I remember a scene when Pennywise attacks them and Ben saves her and she thanks Ben then rushes to Bill and hugs him. In this one she ends up falling for him, which is great that the fat sweet kid gets the girl because she falls for his personality, only, she didn’t, she fell for him after he looked like Jay Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 123September 7, 2019 12:36 AM

And he’s rich too!

But I think Beverly turning away from Ben and crushing on Bill in the first movie is pivotal to the character: Beverly has a really warped sense of love. In the first one, it’s clear that Bill’s attraction to Beverly is purely shallow, and she still holds onto him as the first guy she kissed in the 3rd grade play. Bill is inherently a selfish character

by Anonymousreply 124September 7, 2019 12:48 AM

It’s still too unbelievable to me that every one of them sans Mike is rich.

by Anonymousreply 125September 7, 2019 12:54 AM

r125 That was Pennywise's machinations, or whatever you want to call it. They all got successful and had good lives for 27 years, then it was time to pay the price. I haven't read the book in ages, but I remember something about that being explained in the book.

by Anonymousreply 126September 7, 2019 1:01 AM

They were all successful but also pretty miserable as well

by Anonymousreply 127September 7, 2019 1:02 AM

Bev fell for Ben when she first got the post card with the poem. She just didn't know it was him.

How did Bev's mom die? One of the scariest scenes in the movie was when her dad sprayed the perfume everywhere.

Still can't get over that ridiculous giant old lady. That was supposed to be scary???

by Anonymousreply 128September 7, 2019 1:07 AM

I haven't read the novel in years. Is the Richie x Eddie subplot in there?

At R98 Elizabeth looks like she's about to turn into Pennywise.

I love how kind and humble Finn is compared to JDG who is a out of control sarcastic homophobic cunt.

In Boy Erased, Xavier Dolan's character was the extreme opposite of his IT character. He was a somewhat masculine self-hating gay who refused to shake hands because he was afraid it would trigger sexual feelings he was trying so hard to repress.

by Anonymousreply 129September 7, 2019 1:14 AM

The scenes with Bev and her father were the scariest in the first and that scene in this one. He’s terrifying and it’s awful. Poor girl.

R128 do you think if Ben as a kid told her it was from him she would have went with him? She would have smiled, thanked him and gave him a hug and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 130September 7, 2019 1:15 AM

Xavier Dolan was so in love with the first IT that he reached out to the Director and begged him for a role in this one.

From IMDb

Xavier Dolan met director Andy Muschietti randomly and expressed interest about being in this film, having loved the first one. Dolan said "I'll do anything you want, be the door handle, the door knob, the curtain, whatever I can do in this film". He was later cast as Adrian Mellon.

by Anonymousreply 131September 7, 2019 1:18 AM

Saw it last night. Had very high expectations after seeing reviews declare it creepy, disturbing, terrifying, shocking etc. It was none of that. Hader was a standout, but his role could have been even greater if more time had been spent on his inner conflict. The whole Bowers narrative was ridiculous. The CGI was bizarre, and not in a good way. The audience laughed and groaned in dismay when the fortune cookies cracked open and those stupid bugs came out. Personally, I found Mrs Kersh (old woman in Beverly's old apartment) the most disturbing "monster" UNTIL she morphed into an oversized troll with pendulous, sagging titties. The way she was dancing in the doorframe was actually quite creepy. And then they ruined the whole scene with the CGI. Imagine how much more disturbing it would have been if it was just an unhinged old lady coming for Bev. Anyway, I felt the corpses and the effects overall were schlocky and I'm bitterly disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 132September 7, 2019 1:20 AM

Did anyone really think it was going to be good?

by Anonymousreply 133September 7, 2019 1:21 AM

I never read the book. Richie was supposed to be gay? But Harry Anderson was checking out that young chick in the library.

by Anonymousreply 134September 7, 2019 1:24 AM

R133 I hoped it was going to be...should have known it wouldn't deliver though.

by Anonymousreply 135September 7, 2019 1:25 AM

The scene that confirms Richie is gay

Part One

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 7, 2019 1:35 AM

Part Two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 7, 2019 1:38 AM

As someone mentioned, it wasn’t a coincidence they all grew up to be rich and successful (except Mike). Bill was a writer, Ben an architect, Stan an accountant, Beverly a fashion designer, Eddie owned a limo company in NYC, Ritchie a radio personality/comedian. It was because they ‘defeated’ Pennywise as kids that they were able to succeed in whatever they wanted to do. (Except have kids- none of them ever had a kid, that was also something to do with theirPennywise encounter).

They all eventually moved out of Derry and forgot about their time there. Except Mike, that’s why he never got rich and successful- because he chose to stay and remember. No doubt if he had left town, he’d get some of the lucky magic mojo, or whatever it was, that the other kids got.

It been a long time since I’ve read the book, but I think it was Mike who explained it to the others, or bill or Ben, that their success and things always seeming to work out for them wasn’t just luck. Maybe it was the universe thanking them for putting pennywise to sleep for a while.

by Anonymousreply 138September 7, 2019 1:40 AM

In the movie Eddie is a Risk Analyst in NYC.

Bill is a writer and married to a famous actress.

Ben an architect worth millions.

Richie a famous Comedian.

We never learn what Bev or Stan do but I will just assume it’s what they did in the book.

by Anonymousreply 139September 7, 2019 1:44 AM

R126 and R138 I think there was a line in the book (I think it was included in the movie too) where Pennywise said they’d all get to happy lives where all their dreams come true and just when they all thought they were at peace he’d rip the ground out from under them and send them into their own personal hells or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 140September 7, 2019 1:45 AM

In the first movie he promises them they can go on and live happy lives until they die of old age if they allow him to have Bill.

They don’t. So they were all doomed.

by Anonymousreply 141September 7, 2019 1:47 AM

Bev is a fashion designer who owns her clothing line and Stanley is an accountant, r139.

by Anonymousreply 142September 7, 2019 1:48 AM

R142 sorry, I’m saying we never learn what those two do in this film, but I will assume it’s the same as the book for them.

by Anonymousreply 143September 7, 2019 1:51 AM

R140 that would make sense. He kept his word, eh?

by Anonymousreply 144September 7, 2019 1:52 AM

It's actually in the book after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 7, 2019 2:04 AM

But it’s one sided. Eddie never saw Richie as anything more than a close friend, it’s Richie that is in love with Eddie.

Eddie has no idea.

by Anonymousreply 146September 7, 2019 2:06 AM

Is it true that the actress who played Eddie's mom in IT, also plays his wife in IT: Chapter 2?

I could tell that the actress wore a fat suit in the first movie, and when I saw a picture of the actress, I was surprised that it was the same woman. In the picture she was a slim blonde.

by Anonymousreply 147September 7, 2019 2:08 AM

R147 she’s not slim, she’s thick just not obese like his mom. She’s more Kelly Clarkson size vs Chrissy Metz.

by Anonymousreply 148September 7, 2019 2:09 AM

R145 the examples used to show Eddie was into Richie also are nonsense. Him liking that Rich calls him Eds means he’s gay? The dirty Leper offering him a BJ means he’s gay? His fear isn’t homosexuality, it’s that the dirty diseased leper will touch his penis.

That person is reaching.

It was one sided.

by Anonymousreply 149September 7, 2019 2:18 AM

Anyone else notice at the Chinese restaurant how Richie knew Eddie had married a fat chick. None of the other Losers kept up with each other yet somehow Richie knew about Eddie's current life.

Hmmmm....

by Anonymousreply 150September 7, 2019 2:19 AM

Is there a leak scenes of young Richie carving R + E inital at the kissing bridge and older Richie doing it again?

by Anonymousreply 151September 7, 2019 2:21 AM

R150 but Eddie knew nothing about Richie.

by Anonymousreply 152September 7, 2019 2:21 AM

For a straight guy, King was pretty good at providing a few homoerotic undertones to male friendships (Chris Chamber and Gordy LaChance in Stand By Me/The Body).

by Anonymousreply 153September 7, 2019 2:22 AM

I think Eddie is closeted his wife is the version of his controlling mother and she is obese as well.

by Anonymousreply 154September 7, 2019 2:23 AM

Richie knew about Eddie but Eddie was clueless to Richie.

Eddie treated everyone the same while it was Richie that was fixated on Eddie.

The film is very clear in that the feelings were one sided.

R153 straight men can easily come up with homoeroticism. It’s not hard. You take a situation you would use for a man and a woman and just change the woman into another man. 🙄🙄🙄 it’s not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 155September 7, 2019 2:26 AM

If Eddie's gay, that means they killed off two of their three gay characters. It will get them so much backlash that I don't blame them for writing Eddie the way he is. There are enough implications to argue that he's closeted anyway.

by Anonymousreply 156September 7, 2019 2:28 AM

Wasnt it implied in the book that it was Eddie who was gay and not Richie?

by Anonymousreply 157September 7, 2019 2:31 AM

In the book it’s Eddie that is closeted, not Richie. In the movie it’s the opposite.

And the movie is CLEAR it’s one sided. But leave it to DL to create shit in their own delusional minds.

by Anonymousreply 158September 7, 2019 2:33 AM

I really don't like Andy Muschietti. Every time it seems like he's building a scene with potential to be genuinely frightening, he ruins it with cheesy CGI. He did it in Mama, the first It, and now, this one as well. The scene with the old lady is a perfect example. It starts out rather well until he ruins it with her morphing into a giant. So incredibly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 159September 7, 2019 2:34 AM

So basically all the 4 gay characters got a sad and tragic ending.

by Anonymousreply 160September 7, 2019 2:46 AM

Eddie did pay attention to Richie because he said he knew he didn't write his own stand-up material. How would he know that unless he watched it, even though they had all supposedly "forgotten" each other for the past 27 years?

by Anonymousreply 161September 7, 2019 2:49 AM

1990 Mrs. Kersh was way scarier than the CGI troll giant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 7, 2019 2:57 AM

Again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 7, 2019 2:58 AM

I know everyone goes wild for Alexander but Bill is the sexier brother to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164September 7, 2019 3:00 AM

Beautiful cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 7, 2019 3:02 AM

Great ass too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166September 7, 2019 3:09 AM

R136 That clip is ridiculous. Why is a giant Paul Bunyan statue coming to life, and why does it look so badly done?

oh dear

by Anonymousreply 167September 7, 2019 3:17 AM

The Paul Bunyan statue comes to life in the book, except he has an ax instead of a peavey that he attacks Ritchie with.

by Anonymousreply 168September 7, 2019 3:35 AM

Is Audra in the new film?

by Anonymousreply 169September 7, 2019 3:38 AM

James Ransone sure liked to get nude the past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170September 7, 2019 3:41 AM

R170 Yes. Shame he doesn’t do it anymore. I’d pay good money to see him jerk off in a remake of Ken Park, or flash his ass on some direct-to-dvd crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 171September 7, 2019 3:47 AM

The Skarsgaard men certainly aren’t shy about showing their dicks and asses off on screen. Right on.

by Anonymousreply 172September 7, 2019 4:00 AM

^ Dad as well, they are a neat family.

Does the turtle of enormous girth turn up? The deadlights?

by Anonymousreply 173September 7, 2019 4:02 AM

[quote]Is Audra in the new film?

Barely.

by Anonymousreply 174September 7, 2019 4:05 AM

R174 Does naughty Henry kidnap Audra? Does the Hi Ho Silver scene happen to bring her back to life?

by Anonymousreply 175September 7, 2019 4:08 AM

R174, nope.

She has one scene where they are making a film before Bill gets his call to come home to Derry.

She is kind of a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 176September 7, 2019 4:15 AM

The gay bashing was based on a real incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177September 7, 2019 4:20 AM

I love James McAvoy, but just based off the commercials, he doesn’t seem like ‘Bill’ to me. He looks nothing like the young Bill for one. Im not sure who I would cast in his place, but I’m not feeling it. Maybe he’s great in the movie, idk.

by Anonymousreply 178September 7, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote]Yes. Shame he doesn’t do it anymore. I’d pay good money to see him jerk off in a remake of Ken Park, or flash his ass on some direct-to-dvd crapfest.

Wait a few years for Jack Dylan Grazer to go full Shia LeBeouf crazy and you'll get the next best thing

by Anonymousreply 179September 7, 2019 4:24 AM

In the novel Bill seems to be the only one who could be called extremely rich. The others are just very well off, all of them making over $100,000 a year (Mike the librarian did his research). Bill is a successful novelist whose books get made into movies (just like Stephen King). Ben is an in demand architect. Stan was an accountant. Beverly is a clothing designer. Richie is a disc jockey, not a stand up comedian. Eddie runs a limo service.

Other things from the novel come to mind. Bill is married to a woman who bear a strong resemblance to Beverly. The adult Richie doesn't wear the dorky glasses of his youth; he wears contacts. And Eddie has a dimwit, obese wife who strongly resembles his domineering, Munchausen Syndrome By Proxy mother. And, indeed, the losers HAVE forgotten all about each other and It, until Mike calls them up and reminds them of their promise.

by Anonymousreply 180September 7, 2019 4:26 AM

Beverly and Bill fuck in the book. Beverly's husband follows her to Derry and gets killed by Pennywise.

by Anonymousreply 181September 7, 2019 4:29 AM

"In the book it’s Eddie that is closeted, not Richie. In the movie it’s the opposite."

Nothing in the book indicates that Eddie was "closeted." He wasn't gay. But he was so fucked up that he married his mother, an obese, dimwitted woman who looked just like her.

by Anonymousreply 182September 7, 2019 4:29 AM

Is Beverly's asshole husband in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 183September 7, 2019 4:32 AM

Briefly, r183. He beats her up when she gets the call to return to Derry but we never see him after that.

by Anonymousreply 184September 7, 2019 4:34 AM

Nobody needs to watch a 3 hour horror movie. Die Space Clown, Die already!

by Anonymousreply 185September 7, 2019 4:36 AM

R179 There is an interview where Ransone had a good five minutes rant about how he knows Grazer will have a hard life because he was like that when he's younger, despite the horror of the interviewer. It gets funnier after I realize Ransone was a heroin addict and he's basically predicting that for Jack's future.

by Anonymousreply 186September 7, 2019 4:40 AM

During that notorious scene in the book -you know the one I mean-Ben is the only one who makes Beverly come.

by Anonymousreply 187September 7, 2019 4:42 AM

It definitely wasn’t trying to be a horror movie. It actually reminded me a lot of The Mummy — more of an adventure with some darker horror elements. I don’t remember a single scare that wasn’t followed immediately with a joke. It was all over the place tonally, which I think was the most damning problem. By the climax, my expectations were set for what followed, so the final confrontation didn’t feel quite so absurd.

My problem with both movies (though it’s definitely exacerbated in Part Two) is that IT doesn’t seem all that serious about killing the Losers. When he wants to, he just goes straight for the kill, yet he confronts the Losers over and over (even when he’s at death’s door) just lets them walk away. They don’t DO anything special, he just lets them walk.

I know it’s based on a book but we really needed to lose a few characters along the way to feel any sense of danger.

by Anonymousreply 188September 7, 2019 6:25 AM

R177, wow, how sad!

by Anonymousreply 189September 7, 2019 6:55 AM

Honest Trailer covers the original IT. I guess Chapter Two version does stay true to that version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 7, 2019 7:18 AM

I appreciate the original a lot more after having seen this. We saw more of the characters lives outside of Derry even though the combined runtime of both parts were much shorter. Pennywise is more of an evil entity, and not just a clown as is portrayed in these movies. Bower's scenes were much scarier in the original. The scenes with Bowers in this new one were abysmal and so over the top, you're wondering if the events are actually happening or not. As the OP says, his death, and his entire role in the movie, feels inconsequential. In the original, his appearance outside of the institution was the most effective jump scare in the entire film. If they aimed to do the same thing here, they failed.

This movie is padded to the extreme, character motivations are muddled, if not incoherent, the CGI is awful, and the tone inconsistent.

by Anonymousreply 191September 7, 2019 8:34 AM

I just watched the mini-series last night and it’s really bad. Really bad. I’m wondering why I ever liked it.

The acting is the worst part. The best part is Tim Curry as Pennywise, that actually feels more evil than this version.

Eddie was not gay in the books. He most certainly wasn’t gay here either, and the movie is clear it’s Ritchie. Eddie watching Ritchies stand up comedies doesn’t mean he’s gay.

I swear DL is full of mentally ill old folks.

by Anonymousreply 192September 7, 2019 8:43 AM

The Talismans are a weird plot device. Bill gets his bike, oh no wait, a paper boat. Richie gets a token. Bev gets a poem. How does any of this connect at all? What does Mrs. Kersh transform into? Why is Bev gets tranferred to a bathroom stall? Is it because she's traumatized by bullying, traumatized by her father, her mother's death...what? Richie is scared because he's closeted and yet he never comes out, not even to his friends? Eddie is still afraid of everything but does he feel guilt for not being there for his sick mother? That arc is not resolved either. The movie is just so messy.

by Anonymousreply 193September 7, 2019 8:47 AM

I found it weird that in the end Ritchie still hasn’t come out to his friends, but then again maybe it’s something he likes to keep to himself, especially now that Eddie is dead. I think he’s the only one he would have wanted to share that with, and he’s gone. Now that he’s dead he will just hold him, and his feelings, to himself privately and he looks content in the end carving RxE again.

by Anonymousreply 194September 7, 2019 9:04 AM

Bill Skarsgard sufferer from nightmares nightly after playing Pennywise. It went on for months after he finished filming even.

I can only imagine it’s hard to play those kind of evil characters.

by Anonymousreply 195September 7, 2019 9:26 AM

How did Henry’s cousin figured out he likes him when he just asked him if he want to hang out to play arcades? It seems harmless and not at all gay?

by Anonymousreply 196September 7, 2019 9:26 AM

It was the 80s. Assuming a kid is gay was common in the 80s and 90s. Plus I think it’s the way he shook his hand and then asked.

by Anonymousreply 197September 7, 2019 9:28 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 198September 7, 2019 2:27 PM

R180 Really? I always thought that Ben was the only real “rich” one and all the others were just well off.

by Anonymousreply 199September 7, 2019 2:39 PM

R179 If Luca’s Lord Of The Flies remake goes through maybe I won’t have to wait as long.

by Anonymousreply 200September 7, 2019 2:40 PM

R200 Barely Legal?! He’s 15. That’s not “barely” legal. He’s illegal.

R199 in the book, yes. In the movie, no. Look at the car Ritchie is driving around or the mini mansion Bev lives in.

by Anonymousreply 201September 7, 2019 2:53 PM

R201, you mean the car Eddie is driving?

Bevs mansion looked more like it belonged to the abusive husband.

With that said, the trauma from dealing with IT in their childhood prepared them for the real world in a very superficial way. That seems realistic with some successful people I know.

by Anonymousreply 202September 7, 2019 3:06 PM

The car Eddie is driving and the car Ritchie is driving while in Derry. You see it when he is trying to run away.

by Anonymousreply 203September 7, 2019 3:13 PM

I had an "Animal Kingdom" flashback seeing Jake Weary as one of the gay bashers. His character on the show is gay but to keep people from finding out he kicked his boyfriend's ass in S1.

by Anonymousreply 204September 7, 2019 3:14 PM

201 16 (which is legal age of consent in a lot of parts of the US and in every other country in the world), and I’m talking about when he turns 18.

by Anonymousreply 205September 7, 2019 3:17 PM

* R201

by Anonymousreply 206September 7, 2019 3:18 PM

if the creature comes out of hibernation after a big tragedy like the easter explosion... what was the big tragedy that awakens it this time? The gay bashing?

by Anonymousreply 207September 7, 2019 4:27 PM

R207 most likely since he showed up for that and then left a message for Mike.

It wasn’t just gay bashing. They didn’t just beat them up, they left one for dead and he would have most likely drowned if not for Pennywise (before he kills him).

by Anonymousreply 208September 7, 2019 4:32 PM

R195 I wonder why. I think the performance is a highlight in both movies, but the character has no inner life, ethos or coherent mythology. If Bill was haunted by the psyche of the character, it was personal canon he created.

by Anonymousreply 209September 7, 2019 6:10 PM

I think part of the reason Bill is such a flat character is because he’s Stephen King’s self-insert character. He writes one in to every single book he’s ever written, and for some odd reason they’re always the boring ones.

by Anonymousreply 210September 7, 2019 6:13 PM

King's stand in always gets a hot babe no matter how bald, old, or unappealing he is.

by Anonymousreply 211September 7, 2019 6:16 PM

R211, does that include the chick in the bathtub in The Shining?

by Anonymousreply 212September 7, 2019 6:27 PM

In the book Wendy was a hot babe.

by Anonymousreply 213September 7, 2019 6:28 PM

R212 In the books Jack is in his late 40’s and average looking and Wendy is a hot blonde in her late 20’s. I remember thinking that was weird when I read it and then I realized that Jack was King’s weird conduit.

by Anonymousreply 214September 7, 2019 6:30 PM

King wanted Jessica Lange to play Wendy in the film.

by Anonymousreply 215September 7, 2019 6:32 PM

R207, IT doesn't wake up after a big tragedy; he sleeps (hibernates?) for apprx 25 to 27 years. When he awakens, he begins feeding and his waking cycle grows more ferocious towards the end (the explosion of the Kitchner Iron Works in 1906, the fire at the Black Spot in 1930 (?). While he's awake, every kind of violence in the town of Derry escalates. even that which he's no part of. But even under the best circumstances, Derry much more violent than any town of comparable size in America. It's as though IT's essence permeates the soil and air of Derry.

by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2019 6:36 PM

[quote]I wonder why. I think the performance is a highlight in both movies, but the character has no inner life, ethos or coherent mythology.

Well, perhaps the fact that Pennywise tortures, kills and eats children was enough for him to be upset. Just a wild guess.

by Anonymousreply 217September 7, 2019 6:39 PM

R217 He’s not even upset. Bill is just bland, like most of King’s self-inserts are.

by Anonymousreply 218September 7, 2019 6:40 PM

R216 In the book Pennywise himself literally says he awakes after he smells the fear and energy left over from a big tragedy. That’s why he chose Derry, because it was a hot bed for tragic events in Colonial times, and once Pennywise got there he just created more tragedy, and thus a symbiotic cycle started between Pennywise and the town.

by Anonymousreply 219September 7, 2019 6:42 PM

R217 is referring to the actor Bill Skarsgard not the character Bill.

by Anonymousreply 220September 7, 2019 6:43 PM

Except Pennywise arrived long before the first settlers. The Losers see him in a vision falling from the sky in prehistoric times.

by Anonymousreply 221September 7, 2019 6:45 PM

R221 But even so, he didn’t awake until colonial times, when the massacre of the Indians awoke him and he decimated Derry Township.

by Anonymousreply 222September 7, 2019 6:46 PM

[R216] In the book Pennywise himself literally says he awakes after he smells the fear and energy left over from a big tragedy. That’s why he chose Derry, because it was a hot bed for tragic events in Colonial times, and once Pennywise got there he just created more tragedy, and thus a symbiotic cycle started between Pennywise and the town.

Not an attack but I think you're mistaken about that. I've read the book many times and I don't remember those details. Maybe that's something IT says in the old TV miniseries, but not the book.

by Anonymousreply 223September 7, 2019 6:49 PM

Why didn't people move the fuck out of Derry?

by Anonymousreply 224September 7, 2019 6:54 PM

Some did, especially during the waking cycles. But just as IT infected the atmosphere of Derry, he also affected the people there as well. In the book many of the adults just look the other way at some of what's going on in their town.

by Anonymousreply 225September 7, 2019 6:58 PM

The people in Derry are assholes for the most part. It's implied that most of them are aware they need the killing cycle to continue in order to keep the town safe. Some people do leave Derry. All the Losers parents moved away except Bev's dad. We get a brief scene in the book with Beverly's mom. I assume she left Al Marsh and took Bev with her.

by Anonymousreply 226September 7, 2019 6:59 PM

R224 Pennywise is able to manipulate the minds of the people of Derry, so that they aren’t really conscious of what a cesspool Derry is. That’s how he’s able to get away with murdering and eating so many kids every 27 years for centuries. He makes them think it’s normal, or nothing to gawk at.

by Anonymousreply 227September 7, 2019 7:00 PM

Is Sen Susan Colliins concerned about the goings on in Derry? Or is she, in fact, Pennywise?

by Anonymousreply 228September 7, 2019 7:10 PM

R93

Oh, please. You are extrapolating your own feelings on those kids. Why would they know Ken Park? But most importantly, why would they be bothered by Ransone's scene? Oh, he masturbated in the movie, how horrible, let me clutch my pearls. News flash, most people don't give a fuck. Ransone is a working actor who starred in some great TV shows and movies. Nobody gives a fuck about his Ken Park scene.

by Anonymousreply 229September 7, 2019 7:19 PM

R229 I give a fuck about his Ken Park scene!!

by Anonymousreply 230September 7, 2019 7:20 PM

Derry is like Sunnydale on Buffy. The town is off, but the energy keeps people from thinking about it too much.

by Anonymousreply 231September 7, 2019 7:22 PM

It was a mess. I kind of agree with OP. It was just all over the place. The most bizzarre moment was random 80s song during Eddie's fight with the leper. The fuck was that? And pomeranian scene? So random and stupid. I think Ransone was good, and Bill Hader. Chestein was actively bad, and i actually like her. She was lifeless and uncharismatic. Bill Scarsgard was very good.

by Anonymousreply 232September 7, 2019 7:23 PM

The thing that manifests as Pennywise in IT also appears in the last book of the Dark Tower series. More info there on the origins and nature of it.

by Anonymousreply 233September 7, 2019 7:23 PM

R223 can you share a little of that backstory?

by Anonymousreply 234September 7, 2019 7:25 PM

R230

We, on DL, we're not like normal people. We are specific audience. I also know that scene, and watched it many times. But it's ridiculous to imply this scene is the only thing Ransone is known for, and that this scene is something shameful.

by Anonymousreply 235September 7, 2019 7:26 PM

What are the chances they do another IT movie but with different characters from a different time?

Hollywood is in a huge slump. Movies are so bad over the last decade and get worse every year. I'm not surprised they fucked this up.

by Anonymousreply 236September 7, 2019 7:27 PM

r234 I don't remember the details, only that Roland and whoever's still alive at that point have to defeat him near the end of the journey to get to their destination. I think he manifested as a spider in their world, as a sort of penultimate level boss. Maybe Google can help.

by Anonymousreply 237September 7, 2019 7:30 PM

R236 I think the only reason this one did so well was because of the 80’s nostalgia craze that started in 2016 with Stranger Things. I’m just saying, it’s not a coincidence that they decided to cast Finn Wolfhard. The first one was only really successful because of circumstance. If it had come out even two years earlier than it did it wouldn’t have been nearly as successful.

by Anonymousreply 238September 7, 2019 7:30 PM

Overall they didn’t fuck it up. It’s very watchable and entertaining , it just doesn’t add up to much. Not an all timer.

by Anonymousreply 239September 7, 2019 7:30 PM

[quote] Derry is like Sunnydale on Buffy.

Derry is like Hawkins, Indiana in Stranger Things. Only a handful of kids know the true terror lurking in the small town.

by Anonymousreply 240September 7, 2019 7:31 PM

Sounds like another flop performance for the unlovable Jessica Chastise.

by Anonymousreply 241September 7, 2019 7:31 PM

R234 IT is supposed to be the cosmic entity responsible for all the negativity in the universe. Like darkness personified. It craves chaos and gruesome tragedy. IT also appears in a few other books, like The Tommyknockers and The Stand. He’s supposed to be the cause of all the horror in King’s Universe.

by Anonymousreply 242September 7, 2019 7:32 PM

Lol Stranger Things = a blended smoothie of random pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 243September 7, 2019 7:33 PM

R242 thanks, I like that. Makes his defeat in this movie seem even more anticlimactic in context.

by Anonymousreply 244September 7, 2019 7:34 PM

It’s been ages since I read The Stand. How does It figure into that one?

by Anonymousreply 245September 7, 2019 7:41 PM

R244 That’s the funny thing, in IT they make Pennywise’s defeats out to be so victorious and like he’s gone forever. I always wondered why it was so easy to beat him, but now it makes sense. He’s so easy to defeat because he can’t die, so beating his ass back to sleep doesn’t matter because he always comes back. What’s even more depressing about that fact is that he’s not even just concerned with Derry, he’s bigger than that.

by Anonymousreply 246September 7, 2019 7:41 PM

R237 What are you rambling about. Robert Gray does not turn in in The Dark Tower books, the spider in Book 9 is Mordred, the nominal son of the Crimson King, nothing at all to do with Pennywise

by Anonymousreply 247September 7, 2019 7:46 PM

r245 I don't think IT appears in The Stand, Randall Flagg (Walking Dude) is a different entity, in the Dark Tower books it's an evil magician called the Man in Black or Walter, one of the protagonist's nemeses. I think Flagg appears in some other King novels, too, maybe The Talisman? Don't remember. I'm tempted to reread King now, it's been years.

by Anonymousreply 248September 7, 2019 7:48 PM

R242 Also, not true. The turtle from It pops up again, but Pennywise, who is just an alien baddie is not the source for all evil in the King worlds, Jesus just stop talking shite

by Anonymousreply 249September 7, 2019 7:49 PM

r247 You're right, I was thinking of Dandelo, who is theorized to be a descendant of It (though I don't think that's canon).

by Anonymousreply 250September 7, 2019 7:49 PM

Is Sen Susan Colliins concerned about the goings on in Derry? Or is she, in fact, Pennywise?

She's told Pennywise she's concerned about his propensity to eat & kill children, but she's known to wear clown make up and encourage kids to crawl in sewers , so I think her position on Pennywise is ambiguous at best. But she genuinely believes that he means well & is just a very misunderstood guy.

by Anonymousreply 251September 7, 2019 8:57 PM

I'm a big James McAvoy fan and I was overall disappointed by his performance in this film. The emotional stuff he knocked out the park, but the other scenes, like the comedic fumbling and particularly his introduction with the wife and Peter Bogdanovich was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 252September 7, 2019 9:54 PM

R235 they starred in a movie with him you dumb motherfucking piece of shit. They most likely googled him, especially Glazer, when he was announced as adult Eddie you stupid fucking prick.

And cumming on cam for the world is porn. Not a movie. You desensitized cunt.

by Anonymousreply 253September 7, 2019 10:07 PM

It's amusing how Grazer has things the wrong way round, in that he's an obnoxious little shit in interviews, whilst on social media he's on-brand and even quite dorky.

by Anonymousreply 254September 7, 2019 10:12 PM

I would not be surprised if someone on his team has his social media logins after the smoking video. The apology video still cracks me up. I remember one of the late night hosts saying he should have been nominated for an Oscar for it

by Anonymousreply 255September 7, 2019 10:45 PM

The people say that Eddie definitely wasn't gay aren't any more credible than those who say he definitely was gay.

People have been speculating that Eddie was gay in the book since Internet forums became a thing 20 years ago. The subtext is placed their in the Book intentionally from Stephen King and many people have thought over the decades that his and Richie's relationship is much more than just friendship. Even the two movies have hinted at it. They bicker like an old married couple in both movies and that scene in the Hammock in chapter two plays out like two gay kids who need an excuse to be affectionate and intimate with each other but don't know how to do it. Look at the way that scene is directed. I could tell that Eddie was going to get in the Hammock with Richie instead of Richie getting out before it happened. It was actually a very tender scene.

Also it's clear that Henry's cousin was gay also and liked Richie. He was about to accept Richie's invitation until Henry showed up. Then he want all homophobic which was a dead give a way that he was fearful of being outed. Henry didn't see anything but when you're closeted you think people see more than they actually do.

by Anonymousreply 256September 7, 2019 10:48 PM

JDG can probably throw a mean fuck seeing as he started at about 10. He is a little shit and it is not amusing.

by Anonymousreply 257September 7, 2019 10:49 PM

what smoking video? or has it been erased from the net?

by Anonymousreply 258September 7, 2019 10:56 PM

Richie was always giving Eddie a hard time with his lousy jokes and teasing but does that mean they were queer for each other? I don't think so. It seems to me the gay speculation about Eddie stems mostly from the fact that he's weak and sickly, a mama's boy, not "manly" at all. I don't see how that makes somebody gay.

by Anonymousreply 259September 7, 2019 11:00 PM

I love Jay Ryan. He was in a not-very-good Australian military drama last year and was hot as hell. Apparently he almost didn't get IT because no one had seen his awful Beauty And The Beast show and he had no profile.

by Anonymousreply 260September 7, 2019 11:01 PM

[quote]Apparently he almost didn't get IT because no one had seen his awful Beauty And The Beast show and he had no profile.

I only watched the pilot for BEAUTY and the BEAST but I remember being pissed that the CW renewed it and cancelled a show I actually liked. The rationale was that BEAUTY AND THE BEAST had an engaged international fanbase so the CW felt that was more important than its ratings.

by Anonymousreply 261September 7, 2019 11:06 PM

R255 Oh yes, of course, the one where he blamed peer pressure? Haha, such a little brat, get caught and immediately rat people out to blame them.

R257 10? I mean, first, how would you even know that? And secondly - surely not?

by Anonymousreply 262September 7, 2019 11:07 PM

I keep thinking the Jay Ryan character in IT is the smug, talentless Jared Padalecki

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 7, 2019 11:09 PM

r262 he has the distinct aura of the knowing child whore, don't you think? Like he didn't even need a stage mom to pimp him out, he went out and sucked producer cock all on his own.

by Anonymousreply 264September 7, 2019 11:11 PM

Just block and FF the creepy/weird comments

by Anonymousreply 265September 7, 2019 11:15 PM

What's supposed to be a discussion about IT is turning into a discussion about a 16 year-old kid and his sexual proclivities. You guys are seriously creepy.

by Anonymousreply 266September 7, 2019 11:16 PM

There was a story, now scrubbed, where he posted on snapchat a vid of him and an older girl having sex when he was 11 or 12. That is why sexuality is brought up concerning him.

by Anonymousreply 267September 7, 2019 11:19 PM

That sounds highly unlikely, and instead sounds like the kind of thing perverts would make up to try and make excuses for them discussing a child's sex life.

by Anonymousreply 268September 7, 2019 11:33 PM

"In the books Jack is in his late 40’s and average looking and Wendy is a hot blonde in her late 20’s."

Jack is NOT in his late forties. I think he was in his early thirties. And it's not revealed at all what he looks like. There's no physical description of him. It's insinuated that Wendy is very attractive, but nowhere is she physically described, either.

by Anonymousreply 269September 7, 2019 11:59 PM

R266 If you think this is creppy you should see that thread about his HBO show. I don't know why some are obsessed with this kid, he's not even one of the overhyped stranger things ones.

by Anonymousreply 270September 8, 2019 12:00 AM

That's YOUR opinion r259 that doesn't make it right. The author of the novel himself doesn't seem to agree with you as he gave his blessing to the gay interpretation by appearing in the film.

I assume you are talking about the book because this latest movie made it pretty clear that they have romantic feelings for each other. Both of them. That's what the Hammock scene was all about. It's subtle but it's pretty damn clear. Wisecracking motor mouth Richie didn't say anything when Eddie started caressing his face with his feet no less. Totally out of character for him. And people don't think Eddie is gay because he's sickly. What does one have to do with the other? People think he's gay because of his relationship with Richie and his issues with sexuality. It's subtextual but it's there.

by Anonymousreply 271September 8, 2019 12:14 AM

R272, Is there vid of thst scene?

by Anonymousreply 272September 8, 2019 1:31 AM

Anyone can google and see Ransone jerking off in a matter of seconds. No one would understood the ease of access the internet would bring nearly 20 years ago. Fortunately it hasn't wrecked his career, but I'm sure many people have snickered at him behind his back.

by Anonymousreply 273September 8, 2019 1:35 AM

Where is the hammock scene?

by Anonymousreply 274September 8, 2019 1:56 AM

Gay men seem to see what they want to see.

In the hammock scene we see Eddie bitching at Ritchie because he’s hogging up the hammock time when they all agreed it’s 10 minutes per person. Ritchie refuses to get up so Eddie climbs into the hammock still with Ritchie in it and they’re bitching back and forth with each other. Because Ritchie will not get off the hammock still, with Eddie practically on him, Eddie begins to put his foot on Ritchies face, slaps his glasses off with his foot, and slaps him in the face with his foot.

It wasn’t sexual in the slightest. It was Eddie being a pest because Ritchie would not get off the hammock.

Seriously, what is wrong with some of you?

by Anonymousreply 275September 8, 2019 2:21 AM

Stop bringing up Eddie from the book. This isn’t the book. This is the movie and in this movie it’s VERY CLEAR Eddie isn’t gay. Ritchie is gay. Ritchie is in love with Eddie. Eddie has NO IDEA.

NONE OF THEM SEEM TO.

by Anonymousreply 276September 8, 2019 2:23 AM

The scene where invisible Pennywise cuts “Home at last” into Bens stomach is the hottest because we see his abs.

This was the best scene in the movie because it’s the only one Jay Ryan shows his abs and chest.

The director must be straight because you know a gay Director would have had him shirtless a few times, and there would be a gratuitous shower scene also. Maybe even a pointless sex scene out of nowhere. Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277September 8, 2019 2:58 AM

"People think he's gay because of his relationship with Richie and his issues with sexuality. It's subtextual but it's there."

I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know what all the "Eddie and Richie Want To Fuck Each Other" shit is about. But I DID read the novel. And Eddie is definitely NOT gay in the novel. Neither is Richie.

by Anonymousreply 278September 8, 2019 3:17 AM

R278 exactly! People are reaching here.

In the movie Ritchie is very much gay, while Eddie isn’t. It makes Eddies death so much sadder because Ritchie takes it so much harder.

by Anonymousreply 279September 8, 2019 3:19 AM

Confirmation Ritchie is gay in THE MOVIE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280September 8, 2019 3:22 AM

Part Two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281September 8, 2019 3:22 AM

I think the director made Richie gay for the fan service/Reddie shippers, who kept harassing him on Social media and con events, he isnt gay in the first movie and was much more of a horndog for chicks.

by Anonymousreply 282September 8, 2019 3:24 AM

I hated who they cast as older Henry.

I don’t know if it’s him or the Director, but his scenes all felt rushed and messy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283September 8, 2019 3:32 AM

Unfortunately there are people out there shipping Finn and Jack together, and especially knowing how unhinged shippers are they'll likely see this as some kind of message to them.

by Anonymousreply 284September 8, 2019 3:32 AM

There was a group of teen girls two rows behind me that wouldn’t shut the fuck up the entire movie.

They just kept going and I found it alarming how they would go off when Bev would talk to Bill instead of Ben because Ben is “fine” and “sexy” etc. and they would have fucked him by now etc. and he would be hitting their pussies every night etc. do girls no longer have self respect?

They literally gasped when you see his abs as Pennywise is cutting him. Then they clapped when Bev finally kisses him and said she needs to fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 285September 8, 2019 3:37 AM

According to the box office forum this movie is front-loaded and did’t make the 100 mil they predicted earlier?

by Anonymousreply 286September 8, 2019 3:37 AM

If anyone is interested here is the discussion on the weekend box office # on this movie, its already around 22 pages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287September 8, 2019 3:44 AM

Again, the director had to throw his "Mama" shit into this film.

Why?

Mama sucked and was not scary in the least. A mongoloid ghost. C'mon now!

by Anonymousreply 288September 8, 2019 3:45 AM

Again, the director had to throw his "Mama" shit into this film.

Why?

Mama sucked and was not scary in the least. A mongoloid ghost. C'mon now!

by Anonymousreply 289September 8, 2019 3:46 AM

What MaMa shit did he throw in?

by Anonymousreply 290September 8, 2019 3:48 AM

[QUOTE]Xavier Dolan met director Andy Muschietti randomly and expressed interest about being in this film, having loved the first one. Dolan said "I'll do anything you want, be the door handle, the door knob, the curtain, whatever I can do in this film". He was later cast as Adrian Mellon.

He really doesn't have any shame at all, does he?

by Anonymousreply 291September 8, 2019 3:48 AM

Do they battle some kind of giant spider at the end of the film?

by Anonymousreply 292September 8, 2019 3:53 AM

They battle Pennywise, who is a giant with Spider Legs. So yes. But his upper body is still Pennywise.

by Anonymousreply 293September 8, 2019 3:55 AM

Surely it was better than what they came up with in the TV movie

by Anonymousreply 294September 8, 2019 3:58 AM

IT’s form in the climax was distractingly similar to King Candy’s at the end of Wreck-It Ralph

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295September 8, 2019 4:07 AM

R253

Take you meds, honey. You sound like a 100 years old virgin from Iowa. Normal people don't give a fuck about Ransone jerking off. Marj Rylance had real sex on camera for the movie, and he is very respected.

by Anonymousreply 296September 8, 2019 4:10 AM

After reading the so-so audience reviews here and elsewhere, I'm wondering if I should just wait for a cam copy to show up online.

by Anonymousreply 297September 8, 2019 4:10 AM

I love GAY text or subtext, but i was very disappointed with how it was handled in this movie. It was a mess. First of all, watching the movie after Richie was exposed as gay, i was absolutely sure young Richie was in love with young Stan. My brother thought the same. So this ending with Eddie was really unexpected. Nothing in the movie showed that Richie was hopelessly in love with him. They had a good friendly dinamic as adults, but that's it. There are ways to show it. Awkward hug. A touch. Anything, really. They had enough time to do it.

As for Richie's homosexuality, well, it was strange. What was the point? Why was he so ashamed of being gay? It's not the eighties. His parents in the book were pretty normal and cool, as i remember. Bill Hader was good though.

by Anonymousreply 298September 8, 2019 4:21 AM

Btw, speaking of stars in the closet. First time i saw Bill Hader. He is super talented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 8, 2019 4:37 AM

R298, it was mostly fanservice for the Richie and Eddie tween fans who dominated social media and kept asking the director to make their “ship” canon/real.

by Anonymousreply 300September 8, 2019 4:57 AM

Is there anything more pathetic than these "shippers" and superfans? JFC get a real hobby.

by Anonymousreply 301September 8, 2019 5:20 AM

R300

Seriously? That's fucking sucks. That's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 302September 8, 2019 5:23 AM

example of their fans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303September 8, 2019 5:30 AM

[quote]JDG is incredibly intelligent. He’s also born into the business so he will always have work.

News to me.

by Anonymousreply 304September 8, 2019 5:34 AM

R303 Fucking nutbars, nothing gay about Richie, fucking stupid

by Anonymousreply 305September 8, 2019 5:35 AM

R303 Christ, I only watched a few seconds of that video and it's scarier than anything in It

by Anonymousreply 306September 8, 2019 5:56 AM

[quote]What MaMa shit did he throw in?

Watch the clip up above where Pennywise goes after Richie and his "dirty little secret."

As Richie is running away, Pennywise's face morphs into the Mama "Scream" look.

by Anonymousreply 307September 8, 2019 6:06 AM

The director has his own M.Night/ Alfred Hitchcock cameo in the film. He's in the background when young Eddie is at the pharmacy.

by Anonymousreply 308September 8, 2019 6:33 AM

Good lord 303! And the video is 41 minutes long! That poor girl's parents failed so hard it's not even funny.

by Anonymousreply 309September 8, 2019 6:45 AM

One of the screen-cap of tweens harrasing James Ransone about how “Reddie is real” on twitter. They also do this with the other actors and the director of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 8, 2019 7:12 AM

R310

Hate it.

by Anonymousreply 311September 8, 2019 8:14 AM

I don't like the aesthetics / art direction of the two films - too 'shiny', over produced, graphic-y and music video-ish.

The TV series, whilst it had its issues - felt rather 'real' and therefore felt more menacing and therefore successful as a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 312September 8, 2019 8:32 AM

R312 you mean cheap.

by Anonymousreply 313September 8, 2019 8:38 AM

R313 Perhaps the cheapness of the TV series saved it.

by Anonymousreply 314September 8, 2019 9:08 AM

I didn’t like the TV series.

by Anonymousreply 315September 8, 2019 9:51 AM

Some of you are crazier thann the shippers. No movie studio and movie production team are going to add something like Richie being gay/loving Eddie into a film based on the wants of a few thousand people on Tumblr. These are multi-million dollar businesses who are focused on maximizing profit and making a film as commercially accessible as possible. Not on catering to a small subset of fans. What kind of business model would that be?

by Anonymousreply 316September 8, 2019 10:54 AM

The movie and the book are tied together. The director said he got the idea of Richie being gay and FROM THE BOOK he didn't say anything about fan service, you made that up, that's in your head just like you claim that seeing a possible gay relationship between Eddie and Richie is in other peoples heads and your right, it's all in our heads but their is a reason it's in our heads. Notice no one sees a gay relationship between Mike and Ben for instance.

Notice I said possible not confirmed. I get why people see a gay romance their but I also get why people don't. What I don't do is get mad and question the motives of people I don't agree with.

by Anonymousreply 317September 8, 2019 11:22 AM

The whole “fan service” thing is made up on here and being pushed as fact when in reality the Director made Ritchie gay because that was his interpretation of the character when reading the book. He felt Ritchie was closeted and in love with Eddie while Eddie was clueless to why Ritchie was fixated on him and always messing with him personally etc.

I don’t get the people that always bring the year up as a way to say “I don’t know why he’s scared or ashamed of being gay” as if it being 2016 would make someone feel less shame. My 28 year old friend felt shame for years because he’s gay and still battles his feeling of shame, and he was raised in a liberal home. He says being gay automatically makes one an “outcast” to society and he always wanted to fit in and blend with it. That’s reality.

I know in your small minds EVERYONE is happy to see gay people but it’s a lie. There are still people out there that will beat the shit out of you just like in this movies opening scene and there are some that won’t go that far, but will have their negative opinion on you. That’s real life. Maybe Ritchie doesn’t wanna deal with that, especially as a FAMOUS COMEDIAN WHO TRAVELS THE WORLD on tours.

by Anonymousreply 318September 8, 2019 11:52 AM

The mini-series was terrible, full of bad acting. I can’t get over some of the bad acting in it, mainly from Annette O’toole

by Anonymousreply 319September 8, 2019 11:54 AM

Oh gosh the shippers are here !!! He got the idea that Richie is gay from the book? Wtf book are reading because it wasnt It.

by Anonymousreply 320September 8, 2019 12:00 PM

Poor Andy gave up on his beliefs and vision as a filmmaker and storyteller because of those tweens, this was last year he never intended to make Reddie happened till those stans annoyed him to death!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321September 8, 2019 12:06 PM

Those Stans were literally a few hundred people. Most of those posts etc. were always low in numbers. The Director did nothing of the sort for those few fans, but keep making shit up in your head. The THREE things you've posted don't hold weight, loser.

by Anonymousreply 322September 8, 2019 12:09 PM

r296 Rylance had sex on camera but we didn't see his cum busting onto his chest, stupid fuck. I know you're a low life, degenerate that is desensitized, but the majority of people are not, and we see the difference between a man cumming on camera and a FILM.

Also, Im born and raised NYC baby, where are YOU from? Since you wanna bring up Iowa. I bet your motherfucking ass is nothing more than a.... TRANSPLANT.

by Anonymousreply 323September 8, 2019 12:11 PM

I read this book at least five times over the years, and i never thought Richie might be gay. And i love finding gay subtext in books i'm reading. But anyway, i dont have problems with Richie being gay. I have problems with how movie showed it.

by Anonymousreply 324September 8, 2019 12:13 PM

I read this book at least five times over the years, and i never thought Richie might be gay. And i love finding gay subtext in books i'm reading. But anyway, i dont have problems with Richie being gay. I have problems with how movie showed it.

by Anonymousreply 325September 8, 2019 12:13 PM

R323

Seriously, go take your medicine. You sound insane. It's sad that young actor jerking off on camera is the most signigificant thing that ever happened to you, but really, control yourself.

by Anonymousreply 326September 8, 2019 12:15 PM

R323

Seriously, go take your medicine. You sound insane. It's sad that young actor jerking off on camera is the most signigificant thing that ever happened to you, but really, control yourself.

by Anonymousreply 327September 8, 2019 12:15 PM

r327 I do not think that Ransone jerking off on camera bothers him, I think he is stating why Ransone struggled for so many years as an actor and that after that film he couldnt get work for a while. This is all facts. I dont know why you are trying to make it seem as if no one cared about that, they did, for many years.

Ransone himself knows that scene prevented him from getting work.

by Anonymousreply 328September 8, 2019 12:18 PM

R325,exactly Richie being gay was not based on the book whatsoever so I have no idea what R317 is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 329September 8, 2019 12:19 PM

r327 where are YOU from? You have yet to answer... TRANSPLANT.

by Anonymousreply 330September 8, 2019 12:20 PM

Earlier in this thread people mentioned how for 20 years there have been people on the internet speaking about this book, and many have interpreted

1- Ritchie as gay and Eddie is not.

2- Eddie as gay and Ritchie is not.

3- Neither is gay and just friends.

The Director would hardly be the first to interpret Ritchie as gay. Look on the internet and you will find others have also, and not recent, going years back.

by Anonymousreply 331September 8, 2019 12:23 PM

R328

Did he ever said that he struggled as an actor because of that scene? I mean, most actors struggle because that's the reality of the industry. And Ransone is not very handsome and used to be a drug addict, which could explains the struggle.

Anyway, my problem with the poster here is that he implies that kid actors disrespect and resent Ransone because of that scene. I personally think it's absolutely ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 332September 8, 2019 12:30 PM

R330

Oh, it seems i hit the nerve.

by Anonymousreply 333September 8, 2019 12:31 PM

Didnt Ken Park come out in 2003 or 2004? If anyone thinks scenes like that wouldnt hurt an actors career then, theyre deluded. He didnt work for years after that movie, but keep telling yourself it had nothing to do with porn.

The only nerve you hit is that youre knocking someone who could be from Iowa when youre a transplant. Doesnt that mean you originated elsewhere? You are not an actual New Yorker, sweetheart. You are what you are trying to knock.

by Anonymousreply 334September 8, 2019 12:43 PM

Ken Park destroyed some careers.

The teen actors 100% have seen that jerk off scene. They are TEENAGERS, and I doubt they didnt google him. The minute JDG saw that he passed that shit on.

by Anonymousreply 335September 8, 2019 12:44 PM

R334

Ever heard about Imdb, dipshit? Ken Park premiered in 2002, and he was in second season of Wire in 2003. Not to mention a couple of less known movies. Ever heard about The Wire? I guess they dont like those kind of shows in Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 336September 8, 2019 1:03 PM

R335

Whose careers this movie destroyed? They were mostly young and unknown actors with no careers to begin with.

And do you seriously believe that if they saw this scene (i dont care about that), they thought about it as something shameful, as a reason to mock and ridicule a fellow older actor?

by Anonymousreply 337September 8, 2019 1:14 PM

I love the TV miniseries, especially the first half which I think is damn near perfect. The second half is a slight drop in quality and a few parts are probably a little cheesy but it is still fun and charming. And it is moving to see how their friendships are still so powerful after all those years. But the first half is genuinely great and I thought all the kids (as well as Tim Curry, as we all know) did an excellent job. The casting of the child actors was perfect and it seemed like they really were friends. It didn't seem like acting.

I just hate how since the new movies came out, it has become popular to shit on the original miniseries. I have seen lots of people say things like "it was never that good" and "nobody REALLY likes it. It is just nostalgia. They clearly haven't watched it in years and if they did, they wouldn't like it anymore." That simply isn't the case. I really do enjoy it and don't like the bad wrap it has nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 338September 8, 2019 1:27 PM

Mini series had some problems, and looks dated, but it still better than this shitshow. I thought first part was tolerable, but nothing special, but second part is just pure shit. The more i think about it the more i hate it. They dont get the soul of King's book at all. He dealt with some painful shit in this story, even besides dead children.

by Anonymousreply 339September 8, 2019 1:39 PM

“I don’t get the people that always bring the year up as a way to say “I don’t know why he’s scared or ashamed of being gay” as if it being 2016 would make someone feel less shame. My 28 year old friend felt shame for years because he’s gay and still battles his feeling of shame, and he was raised in a liberal home. He says being gay automatically makes one an “outcast” to society and he always wanted to fit in and blend with it. That’s reality.”

So well stated r318. There is a delusional subset of people who bizarrely seem shocked that people are still closeted or in denial about being gay. They must live in a fantasy world where being gay is not still widely seen as being immoral, evil, weird, or plain yucky. Even in the most liberal places, gay people are widely ostracized, rejected, discriminated against, and suffer violence. Gay men are especially viewed with revulsion and ridicule because of perceptions about their manhood and masculinity. Studies show that even in the most liberal places, gay people are still much more likely to be depressed, engage in self-harm, and have substance abuse problems than nongay people.

by Anonymousreply 340September 8, 2019 1:50 PM

r340 and that is exactly what I see on this site more than anything, delusion. They act like gays are not hated anymore, or not outcast, homophobia doesnt exist in 2019 (especially in white people) and bash anyone they feel is gay (without confirmation) for choosing to not come out on their terms vs, that persons own terms.

If they want you to come out you better. There is NOTHING to worry about in 2019 and it doesnt hurt peoples careers to be gay anymore.

Which is all bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 341September 8, 2019 5:02 PM

The way gay men treat each other is at least as serious a problem.

by Anonymousreply 342September 8, 2019 5:07 PM

I guess we're not going to talk about the movie anymore.

by Anonymousreply 343September 8, 2019 5:07 PM

[quote] anymore

About 150 of the posts in this thread are people complaining about Eddies kid actor. It was cursed from the start.

by Anonymousreply 344September 8, 2019 5:24 PM

And we also have the weird ones who are coming to a gay site and shooting down notions that the books or movies have any gay subtext. Where do they think they are? In any case, they should fuck off back to Reddit and spew their shit there.

by Anonymousreply 345September 8, 2019 5:27 PM

So because this is a gay site means we are supposed to lie and pretend that gay subtext exists where it doesnt?

by Anonymousreply 346September 8, 2019 5:30 PM

You know a DLer did not direct this, because they would have had Jay Ryan running around in a jockstrap all movie and had him be the gay character (which would be even more out of left field than Ritchie)

by Anonymousreply 347September 8, 2019 5:33 PM

I do not mind the discussion of gay subtext, its that you all are making shit up. r345

And why do we keep mentioning how hot Jay Ryan is? Yes, he's gorgeous, with the most beautiful thighs, abs and face ever (even has nice feet), but Isaiah Mustafa is one fine man also.

by Anonymousreply 348September 8, 2019 5:36 PM

Do none of you actually know what subtext means? It means text that's open to interpretation so it's not definitive either way and no one is right or wrong. But if some of you want to be insanely insistent that you're the only ones who are right and put the full extent of your control issues on display, have at it.

by Anonymousreply 349September 8, 2019 5:43 PM

Okay, what is your interpretation r349?

by Anonymousreply 350September 8, 2019 5:44 PM

I would've been happy to see some gay subtext in IT BOOK. There is some gay text in it, with Henry and Patrick, for example. But i just dont see it.

But anyway, it still was badly done in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 351September 8, 2019 5:50 PM

Gay subtext as it refers to Eddie, r351? While I think they still were a little too subtle with showing us that Richie is gay, I'm still seeing people question it when the director, screenwriter and actor have all made it pretty clear that he is. Eddie being gay and reciprocating feeling's for Richie is much tougher to support because we don't know the creators' intentions.

by Anonymousreply 352September 8, 2019 5:54 PM

Oh boy

by Anonymousreply 353September 8, 2019 5:59 PM

It's obvious Richie is gay in the movie. He wasnt gay in the book.

by Anonymousreply 354September 8, 2019 6:03 PM

I dont think anyone is against discussing different interpretations when it comes to the book, its that you all want to bring the book to the movie when the movie does its own thing. The movie makes Ritchie gay, full on, battling his own sexuality and demons and shame etc. and the movie makes Eddie the straight object of his affection, since childhood.

by Anonymousreply 355September 8, 2019 6:05 PM

This movie was expensive looking garbage. No more, no less.

by Anonymousreply 356September 8, 2019 6:14 PM

I'm as far as an SJW as you can get, but I found the whole scene with Pennywise scolding Richie for his homosexuality, which is otherwise never addressed explicitly, distasteful or needlessly perfunctory at the very least. If you're going to deal with such a sensitive topic, deal with it or don't include it at all.

by Anonymousreply 357September 8, 2019 6:21 PM

The movie is just so unfocused in general so I can't point to that explicitly. I enjoyed the first chapter as a haunted house type flick, but no one will want to sit through much of the same for 3 hours when there is no character development.

by Anonymousreply 358September 8, 2019 6:23 PM

r357 Why wouldn't an evil entity like Pennywise hold Ritchie being gay over his head? Is he supposed to be sensitive to Ritchie being closeted?

by Anonymousreply 359September 8, 2019 6:41 PM

not hold*

by Anonymousreply 360September 8, 2019 6:42 PM

We all know that it's hard for people, even more so with adults, to come out after years of hiding, but why should it be especially traumatic in the context of a horror movie where peoples decisions or lack thereof have led to other people dying? We never believe for one second that Richie's friends wouldn't accept him for who he is. In addition, we're not watching the story of some random guy, we're watching a character in a movie who can't bring himself to do something others with much more pressing circumstances such as disapproving friends or family, are able to do in their daily lives. Richie's character is unmarried,works in the entertainment industry, and has a support system, circumstances which should make his situation much easier.

by Anonymousreply 361September 8, 2019 6:42 PM

Hes a stand up comic... how many world famous gay male stand up comics are there in life? Selling out places?

Keep living in DENIAL.

by Anonymousreply 362September 8, 2019 6:48 PM

Stand up comedy is a hard living for anyone. All my favorite comedians are either gay, Jewish, or black. Of course there are exceptions such as George Carlin, but it's no accident why minorities are attracted to comedy as a way of dealing with tragedy and oppression.

by Anonymousreply 363September 8, 2019 6:53 PM

R362

Do people care about personal lives of stand up comics? Unless they are creeps.

by Anonymousreply 364September 8, 2019 6:53 PM

Somebody please post a link to some website where you can watch the movie illegally on the net

by Anonymousreply 365September 8, 2019 6:56 PM

R365 Just get a movie subscription pass for $20 a month and watch all the movies you want the way they were intended.

by Anonymousreply 366September 8, 2019 7:02 PM

r364 that would be a good argument if there were not millions of people that would stop supporting him because hes gay, if he came out.

Hes not just a comedian, hes one that is wealthy and famous now.

by Anonymousreply 367September 8, 2019 7:05 PM

Not an option in my country.

by Anonymousreply 368September 8, 2019 7:07 PM

Lets change the atmosphere to positivity...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369September 8, 2019 7:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370September 8, 2019 7:21 PM

[quote]Hes a stand up comic... how many world famous gay male stand up comics are there in life? Selling out places?

The male stand-ups have to stay in the closet if they want to be successful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371September 8, 2019 7:21 PM

[quote]Hes a stand up comic... how many world famous gay male stand up comics are there in life? Selling out places?

The male stand-ups have to stay in the closet if they want to be successful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372September 8, 2019 7:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373September 8, 2019 7:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374September 8, 2019 7:23 PM

R371

Jeselnik is gay?

by Anonymousreply 375September 8, 2019 7:27 PM

Jaboukie is gay

by Anonymousreply 376September 8, 2019 7:30 PM

I don't know if Jeselnik is gay, but his beautiful, beautiful hair featured in his recent Netflix show sure is. Especially the fly-away bit in the front that has been strategically moussed and set just so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377September 8, 2019 7:36 PM

Yes he's gay. He one celeb whose career really would probably evaporate if he came out, given the demographic of his fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 378September 8, 2019 7:41 PM

I didn't know Mustafa was the Old Spice guy lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379September 8, 2019 7:53 PM

Warning: It's not one of Neil Simon's best works. There are very few jokes, and I rarely laughed all through it.

by Anonymousreply 380September 8, 2019 7:58 PM

Why isn’t anyone talking about Isaiah Mustafa as Mike? Mustafa is the famously hot Old Spice dude.

by Anonymousreply 381September 8, 2019 8:38 PM

[quote]Warning: It's not one of Neil Simon's best works.

Ha!

by Anonymousreply 382September 8, 2019 8:40 PM

JDG is known for getting adult women same as Brad Renfro. The director of one of Brad's movies said he was dating and having a sexual relationship with an adult woman at age 12. That's why JDG is such a dick.

by Anonymousreply 383September 8, 2019 8:46 PM

I've decided I'm not going to see this at the theater. I will wait until it comes on cable.

by Anonymousreply 384September 8, 2019 8:50 PM

JDG will be a druggie soon

by Anonymousreply 385September 8, 2019 9:00 PM

JDG will be the next Shia Laboeuf, but douchier and dumber.

by Anonymousreply 386September 8, 2019 9:03 PM

So what thoughts do we think were racing through Andy Bean's head when Wyatt Oleff came up to him and started giving him notes? Wonder how hard it was to not smack the piss out of him.

by Anonymousreply 387September 8, 2019 9:10 PM

[quote] So what thoughts do we think were racing through Andy Bean's head when Wyatt Oleff came up to him and started giving him notes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388September 8, 2019 10:08 PM

Maybe Andy needed the notes

by Anonymousreply 389September 8, 2019 10:09 PM

I don't mind if they made Ritchie gay but they didn't have the time to lean into it. If they would have done it as a limited series maybe they would have been able to explore his story as a closeted high profile comedian but it just got a quick brushstroke before it moved onto the next expensive CGI set piece. There wasn't a single notion that Ritchie's feelings for Eddie re-emerged during their reunion dinner at the Chinese restaurant so, for me, it just came out of left field and didn't get the service it needed. This movie just wasn't concerned with character development at all and, for me at least, was a constant assault of noise and fucked up imagery.

by Anonymousreply 390September 8, 2019 10:09 PM

Maybe he did not get the feelings at the Chinese restaurant.... they were just starting to get their memories back at that point r390

With time they began to remember more and more... and his feelings came back to him when he visited the arcade he used to play in.

The movie also isn't about Ritchie. He is one cast member of an ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 391September 8, 2019 10:12 PM

Here you go...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392September 8, 2019 10:15 PM

Done with this thread. Fucking circle-jerking over a minor plot point instead of discussing the movie.

by Anonymousreply 393September 8, 2019 10:21 PM

Is there a screener out there yet?

by Anonymousreply 394September 8, 2019 10:25 PM

R394 There's a cam out, can't comment on the quality of it though

by Anonymousreply 395September 8, 2019 10:29 PM

R366 agreed. In LA it pays for itself if you go to even two movie a month. It’s very easy to get your money’s worth, and I never think twice about going to see something, even if I’m only somewhat interested.

by Anonymousreply 396September 8, 2019 10:38 PM

Unless your demographic is primarily gay, or everyone wants to fuck you, most people won't care about your sexuality. If the only consideration when coming out is how it will impact your fame or fortune, I'd say you have it pretty well. There are many actors (mostly b and c level) who are out in their private lives and people leave them be.

by Anonymousreply 397September 8, 2019 10:48 PM

R396 Not only that but you can earn back credit through specialty and rewards programs the more you go to the movies.

by Anonymousreply 398September 8, 2019 10:50 PM

r397 lives in his own bubble....

by Anonymousreply 399September 8, 2019 10:54 PM

r398 r396 I have the Regal Unlimited now (used to have the AMC and pay $23.95 a month but I live in Brooklyn so I would have to travel into the city to see a movie, meanwhile I live less than a mile from a Regal) so when Regal started theirs I joined them and didn't renew my AMC. I pay the same and can see as many movies as I want a week (with AMC its 3 a week). I go at least once a week to see something, and on Thursday night I saw two back to back after work.

It truly pays for itself.

The AMC is still better in that you get free upgrades, while Regal doesn't, but its fine. I get 10% all purchases.

by Anonymousreply 400September 8, 2019 11:33 PM

I thought about going to see it, but the damn thing is nearly three hours long. I might watch it on cable, though. I think it's probably entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 401September 9, 2019 1:56 AM

Just saw this evening and I was also very disappointed. So long, So boring. Kept waiting to be creeped out a little. Like the first one. Nothing. Been waiting all year for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 402September 9, 2019 3:04 AM

So this thread made me go rewatch the first one because IT didn't leave that much of an impression on me.

I did not pick up any gay subtext between Richie and Eddie and I was looking for it.

Is the gay subtext (if there is any) just occur in the the second movie? Did I miss something in the first one?

It just seems weird that suddenly one of them might be gay in the second one, but no indication in the first.

by Anonymousreply 403September 9, 2019 7:22 AM

I loved it, though there were some things I didn't like.

Definitely spoilers:

1. Too much CGI in general. Particularly the old lady monster which could have been a lot scarier if done with make-up and prosthetics. 2. Although pretty much all the casting was spot on, I actually don't think James McAvoy was right for this. He wasn't the strongest character and I couldn't relate him to his younger version at all. 3. Everything with Henry, it felt pointless - they should have had him kidnap one of the group or something, it was a wasted opportunity. Pennywise breaks him out just to go after the gang and kill them - but Pennywise is also trying to kill them - he needed to serve a different purpose. 4. Really did not get the blast of song when the leper vomited into Eddie's mouth, it made quite an intense scene comedic and wasn't needed 5. The place they were all staying - they were just coming and going one at a time and with no staff around or anything, it was odd and didn't really work for me as some sort of hub. 6. King's role in it - sort of cute, sort of cheesy, and sort of took me out of the film.

Overall though it was a ride. Although long I didn't feel the length and wasn't bored. I loved some of the creepy effects even though I think there was too much CGI. The kid killings were brutal. It was a bit distracting seeing the carving into Ben's stomach because he had such a hot body I just wanted him to rip his shirt off and show it off, which detracted from the horror. That spider thing was creepy as fuck. I really liked the final showdown. They read that bitch to filth!

by Anonymousreply 404September 9, 2019 10:34 AM

Is it a thing now where we can't have escalating tension any more? Every scene that was even mildly unsettling has to have comic relief now? I noticed the same thing with the Halloween remake. These filmmakers have to stop treating their audience like their little kids.

by Anonymousreply 405September 9, 2019 7:15 PM

It must be so weird for Jessica Chastain to be associated with a hit movie.

by Anonymousreply 406September 9, 2019 7:36 PM

I quite liked this film, actually more than I did the first one; however, that may be due to my general aversion to any movie featuring a bunch of kids going on an adventure and maturing in the process -- I'd much rather see adults grapple with adult issues.

I wasn't scared -- CGI monsters don't scare me -- but I was engrossed through the whole film, and there was an emotional depth that kept me engaged with most of the characters, particularly those played by Hader and Ransone, both of whom were clearly the best in the cast. Indeed, I got a bit teary-eyed at the climax due to their relationship and it's unusual for a blockbuster to affect me like that, especially a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 407September 9, 2019 7:43 PM

I agree with you r407 I liked the 2nd movie more than I liked the first and I thought the kids in the 1st movie were great. and also ...

SPOILERS . . I cried near the end when Eddie died and poor Richie was so devastated at his loss. Hader really sold the pain of loss of someone you've been in love with your whole life but were unable to articulate it.

Great performances by both Hader and Ransome. In fact I thought all of the cast was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 408September 9, 2019 9:34 PM

I rewatched the film and I liked it so much more the second time! I liked Ransone a lot on the second viewing, although I still feel some of his acting choices were odd, but I disliked Chastain and McAvoy more the second time. They were very bland and boring, and she was very bad in some scenes. You could see her acting!

Jay Ryan could destroy my guts.

by Anonymousreply 409September 9, 2019 11:26 PM

[QUOTE]although I still feel some of his acting choices were odd

Like what? Just curious whether it was his choices, or whether it was stuff the director had him do to link back to Grazer's performance.

by Anonymousreply 410September 9, 2019 11:54 PM

I don't know about r409, but I thought Ransone played Eddie a little too frantic sometimes like the scene with the Stan spider. He could have taken a little bit of the edge off that.

by Anonymousreply 411September 10, 2019 12:05 AM

Ransone was a little too intense at times, and he was bad in the Chinese restaurant scene

by Anonymousreply 412September 10, 2019 12:27 AM

Agreed, 412. He was really abrasive and shouty.

by Anonymousreply 413September 10, 2019 12:36 AM

Eddie was my favorite of the first IT but in this one he loses a bit of the charm. It feels like the filmmakers and Ransone saw the way people reacted to IT 1 Eddie and attempted to recreate that frantic energy but tried too hard.

by Anonymousreply 414September 10, 2019 1:16 AM

A lot of people I know liked Eddie the best of the kids. Everyone I know liked him, Ritchie and Beverly the most, and most feel Ben was super cute.

by Anonymousreply 415September 10, 2019 1:18 AM

The scene itself was so sad, but grown up Stan had a gorgeous ass when he stepped into that bathtub. I was more into that than Ben's abs.

by Anonymousreply 416September 10, 2019 1:58 AM

Stan's ass was pretty nice. Didn't expect that.

Looks like AusCaps got a decent cam version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417September 10, 2019 2:10 AM

Andy Bean has an uncanny ability to look different in everything he does. He looks nothing like the character he played in that flop HBO show.

by Anonymousreply 418September 10, 2019 2:18 AM

Andy Bean is really cute. I just want to give him a big hug. And maybe a smack on the ass.

by Anonymousreply 419September 10, 2019 3:57 AM

I was stunned that Andy Bean: a) had chest hair, and b) was allowed to keep it.

by Anonymousreply 420September 10, 2019 4:04 AM

His chest hair looked trimmed. Calm down.

by Anonymousreply 421September 10, 2019 4:05 AM

Hairy chests are back in style.

by Anonymousreply 422September 10, 2019 4:07 AM

R422 Please, no. Hair is gross. It contains tons of bacteria.

by Anonymousreply 423September 10, 2019 4:10 AM

My favourite scene was when Stanley's head turned into a spider. Nice reference to The Thing. Least would obviously be the gay bashing 😕

by Anonymousreply 424September 10, 2019 5:34 AM

So they just yell at Pennywise until he gets smaller and smaller in order to defeat him? They just ripped off the original ending of Labyrinth.

by Anonymousreply 425September 10, 2019 6:02 AM

R425 Well, they couldn't use the original ending of the book as they used all that in Film One, and cut the characters who needed to be there, (audra/Bevs husband)

by Anonymousreply 426September 10, 2019 7:09 AM

R425 Nightmare on Elm Street as well. In fact, it's quite appropriate that one of the final shots is of a Nightmare on Elm Street 5 marquee. The film really does feel more like the Nightmare sequels which relied more on visual effects and set pieces instead of a coherent storyline.

by Anonymousreply 427September 10, 2019 8:06 AM

Was this already posted??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428September 10, 2019 9:56 AM

Tayor Frey (the gay guy who didn't die in the opening) looks so much like one of my exes that it's scary. Hot damn, he's hot!

by Anonymousreply 429September 10, 2019 4:16 PM

Yes 424, with Bev's (?) response of "Are you fucking kidding me?!" Straight out of, "The Thing".

by Anonymousreply 430September 10, 2019 4:25 PM

It Chapter Two's Queer Subplot Is Too Subtextual to Be Scary Good

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431September 10, 2019 11:47 PM

That Gizmodo article is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 432September 11, 2019 12:06 AM

The problem is that the evil behavior of the adults can be explained by Pennywise, but garden variety homophobia cannot (especially from the kids who are not under his control), which is his story lacks the same impact as Bev, an abuse survior, and Eddie and Bill, who both deal with survivor's guilt. Eddie's arc pays off as he's able to overcome his fear at the end, but with Richie there is no payoff.

by Anonymousreply 433September 11, 2019 12:32 AM

Perhaps this is answered in the book but can anyone who's read it explain why Pennywise would rather terrify children than kill them at certain points, and why at different times he tries to lure children and kill them by surprise?

by Anonymousreply 434September 11, 2019 1:48 AM

Because children were easier prey. They were easier to lure and manipulate. Pennywise did kill plenty of adults, though.

by Anonymousreply 435September 11, 2019 1:54 AM

The children are tastier to him when scared

by Anonymousreply 436September 11, 2019 3:05 AM

I understand that R435 R436 but Georgie and the little girl from this movie are less scared of him when he kills them. He gains their trust and kills them when they don't have enough time to escape.

by Anonymousreply 437September 11, 2019 5:02 AM

They were his first kills after hibernation and he was hungry.

by Anonymousreply 438September 11, 2019 5:05 AM

Now that Tumblr is dying, can we stop it with the 'ship' and 'shipping' terms please?

by Anonymousreply 439September 11, 2019 5:11 AM

I'm with R405. The constant humor was annoying. Let me be scared!

by Anonymousreply 440September 11, 2019 6:52 AM

R439

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441September 11, 2019 7:07 AM

I saw It last night and I while watching had no sense that Richie was gay or had an unrequited love for Eddie, until...

1. It said Richie was hiding a big secret, and often it is a hidden gay side.

2. Richie cried inconsolably when Eddie died.

3. Here's where it all came together: near the very end of the movie, he carved (or re-carved) the initials "R + E" much to my surprise.

by Anonymousreply 442September 11, 2019 1:31 PM

r442 Richie's flashback to his crushing on Henry's cousin didn't clue you in?

(That scene is marvelously played: young Richie pining for the cousin, the cousin probably wanting to take it further but when he sees Henry he goes into self-defense mode and lashes out at Richie -- a scenario I bet many of us are familiar with -- from both sides.)

by Anonymousreply 443September 11, 2019 1:57 PM

Anyone who found this movie anti-gay can suck my dick. People are such pussies. Just because someone calls someone a fag or gets beaten up for being gay, doesn't mean the film itself is homophobic or that it's "problematic." I get it when people talk about movies where the heroes or heroines call people fag and we're still supposed to like them, but if a character who is supposed to be an asshole says it, what's the issue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444September 11, 2019 4:03 PM

R444, this is hilarious. Next, they're going to say Freddy Krueger isn't the child's rights activist we once thought he was. When did Pennywise become a gay icon? He eats children (and some adults) for God's sake.

by Anonymousreply 445September 11, 2019 4:04 PM

Pennywise is evil. Shouldn't an evil demon from outer space be anti-gay?

by Anonymousreply 446September 11, 2019 8:54 PM

Unbelievable! R444, what else do you expect from a virulent homophobic trash magazine like "Out?"

Anti-Queer ??? Has the word gay become so dirty they can not put it in print?

by Anonymousreply 447September 11, 2019 9:17 PM

Everything is Queer now. And debating the sexual orientation of a fictional monster from a not-very-good summer popcorn movie is of paramount importance!

by Anonymousreply 448September 11, 2019 9:44 PM

Which is why Out Magazine is a homophobic trash magazine.

Back on topic, someone must have a clip of the opening scene with Xavier Dolan.

by Anonymousreply 449September 11, 2019 10:30 PM

Why is no one talking about how Nicholas Hamilton, who is gay and half out in real life, had to play the homophobic bully in this?

by Anonymousreply 450September 12, 2019 12:10 AM

I don't care about Henry Bowers so the actor who plays him doesn't hold any interest to me.

by Anonymousreply 451September 12, 2019 12:16 AM

The Henry Bowers reveal worked in the original because it wasn't telegraphed like in this remake. That scene wasn't scary in the slightest and the dumb joke made it worse. His last appearance when he attacks Mike was even more sloppily handled and the actor just appeared goofy and non threatening throughout.

by Anonymousreply 452September 12, 2019 3:36 AM

[quote] There was an interview where they were asked about what they thought when they first met their older counterparts and he made a quick jerk off gesture, and then stopped himself. So good that he stopped himself from bringing up Ransone cumming on film, and hopefully he will one day know to not even thing of gesturing it at all.

Oh fuck, I saw a clip of that and was just confused, I didn't even make the connection (even though I saw "Ken Park" at the time). Lmao!

by Anonymousreply 453September 12, 2019 9:02 AM

Stephen King confirms that he didn't intend Richie to be gay in the book, but approves of the character change in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454September 12, 2019 11:54 AM

[Quote] but approves of the character change in the film.

He'd get shit on if the response was anything less than positive.

by Anonymousreply 455September 12, 2019 1:45 PM

This is a great opinion piece about the gay bashing scene at the beginning of them film. It's not that shouldn't have incorporated it but the fact that the beating happens and then is never referred to again makes it come across as beating gays for the sake of beating gays. In 2019, filmmakers should know better than incorporating a hate crime without it having a deeper meaning to the plot. As this dude points out, the gay bashing in the novel has more lasting repercussions than in the film. Good read!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456September 12, 2019 1:46 PM

But the gay bashing at the beginning is basically the thematic undercurrent for the whole film, since its the Richie/Eddie story that has the most emotional heft.

Consider: IT Chapter 2 was banned in Pakistan for unspecified reasons; a Pakistani friend of mine wondered why and I pointed out the film begins with a gay kiss; he wondered why they didn't just cut it out for Pakistan's approval; I said that, aside from the filmmakers perhaps not wanting their film to be cut up by censors, it would be difficult to remove the kiss because it is basically THE incident that kicks of the entire story -- the bullies witness the kiss and its what prompts them to attack the couple -- and the couple's openness with their relationship serves as a contrast to the closeted Richie. You have to have the kiss and the gay-bashing for the Richie/Eddie storyline, and thus the film itself, to work as well as it does.

by Anonymousreply 457September 12, 2019 2:29 PM

I'm sorry but I hate that kid jack Dylan grazer. It's not media training, it's being a decent well adjusted person. He's just nasty. I hope he doesn't become more famous because he'll just be that bad boy everyone is interested in. Hope he goes away or at least learns some harsh lessons.

by Anonymousreply 458September 12, 2019 2:59 PM

R457 I have to disagree that the gay bashing at the start of the film is a thematic undercurrent, it really isn't! If you read the article that R456 posted, it is correctly points out that for the Adrian's beating to be an undercurrent it would have needed to be referred to again or the repercussions of it felt by other characters. Instead, Adrian and his boyfriend is never referred to again and given the length of the film, one can be forgiven if they completely forgot that it happened. The article makes a good suggestion that the writers could have had Richie discover how Adrian died that that is the catalyst for him to come to terms with his feeling for Eddie. Or they could have had Adrian's attacks face redemption by being killed by Pennywise. Even in the novel, Adrian's bashing is addressed later. The boys are arrested, charged, and go to prison (sadly with a very small sentence). When I saw the scene I though for sure they were going to follow up on what happened, and they didn't. It's not so much that the attack is there, it's that they dismiss it which makes Adrian's attack pointless. It's sad because Richie's feeling for Eddie are the emotional core of the movie and it could have easily been connected to his story.

by Anonymousreply 459September 12, 2019 3:17 PM

r459, with all due respect, what you're talking about is textual, I'm talking subtextual. We don't need the gay-bashing to be referred to again nor for Richie to have knowledge of it for we the audience to connect the two; in fact, it's far more impactful for Richie to come to terms with himself simply through the battle with Pennywise and the loss of Eddie than for him to know about the gay-bashing -- that would, to me, seem forced, too on-the-nose. Remember, often in film, less is more.

by Anonymousreply 460September 12, 2019 3:23 PM

R459

I dont remember King addressing Adrian's murder later in the book. Only when characters met each other in the restaurant, and Mike was telling them why he decided to call them. And Adrian's murder was one of many many many horrific stories.

by Anonymousreply 461September 12, 2019 4:04 PM

agreed, opening scene with gay violent murder was hideous and not kool. hope the dam thing flops

by Anonymousreply 462September 12, 2019 4:17 PM

There was no subtext to the Richie/Eddie storyline.

The gay guy is killed at the beginning and is never mentioned or referred to again.

The clown says Richie has a big dark secret but never mentions it again .

There are no gay vibes between the boys or men until Richie sobs over Eddie's death. Then we see him carving or re-carving their initials -- at about 2 hours and 4O minutes into a 2 hr and 49 minute movie.

Outside the theater after the movie, I said to my friends, wait – was Richie love with Eddie? Why was he carving their initials together, and my friends said they hadn't even noticed it. Or considered it.

And that's all, brother...

by Anonymousreply 463September 12, 2019 5:06 PM

Some people are bringing their own baggage from the book. I read the book many years ago and the subtext was completely lost on me. It's apparent that nobody gave a shit about the script. The film is barely strung together by a series of scenes that could have been removed without any consequences to the story.

by Anonymousreply 464September 12, 2019 5:09 PM

R461 It's been ages since I read the book but I think R459 is correct. I seem to remember that Adrian's attackers are arrested right away. Later that main characters talk about Adrian's beating and I believe Richie expresses disdain that the teens only got a suspended sentence. Also it's revealed that Mike has spoken to Adrian's boyfriend and tells Mike that he saw a clown but that his lawyers told him not to say anything. In the novel, there is subtext that Richie is more affected by the attack than the others.

R463 the gay subtext between Richie and Eddie is still subtle. I think because horror movies are so heteronormative it's easy, even for gay, people to overlook the clues. The secret Pennywise refers to is later followed up in a flashback where Richie seems to show interest in Bower's cousin at the arcade. That's when Bowers calls him a "fucking faggot"

by Anonymousreply 465September 12, 2019 5:16 PM

Jesus, the homoerotic tension was there between Richie and Eddie right from the Chinese restaurant scene.

by Anonymousreply 466September 12, 2019 5:22 PM

Too late R462 It's doing quite well.

by Anonymousreply 467September 12, 2019 5:25 PM

Zachary Levi kept alluding to JDG's loose cannon character during the Shazam promo (though clearly in an affectionate way). During one interview, he says something like, "I'm constantly terrified what's going to come out of your mouth next"; and in another he keeps double-checking questions Jack reads out, and when Jack gets annoyed says "It's because I don't trust you - I don't understand how anyone does!"

by Anonymousreply 468September 12, 2019 7:22 PM

R458 Given who his uncle is that all seems pretty doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 469September 12, 2019 7:33 PM

The family dynamics there are so weird.

Jack's dad is a failed actor and director, who a few years ago made a short film called "The Other Brother" in which he plays himself - here's the plot summary:

[quote] The brother of a famous Hollywood producer is reduced to driving a tram at Universal Studios, where he must give wide-eyed tourists a first hand tour of his brother's success.

I wonder if the fact that his own son is now a big star is vindication for him, or a source of further frustration.

Jack recently did an IG live (in his usual ADHD mood) during which he's visited by a girl friend - then his dad walks in, starts [italic]flirting[/italic] with Jack's friend before Jack quickly warns him he's on live, at which point he immediately starts hogging the camera and playing the clown for Jack's IG audience; then Jack half-jokingly berates him and says "it's my image on the line", and ends the life.

by Anonymousreply 470September 12, 2019 7:55 PM

[quote] ends the life

One can only hope....

by Anonymousreply 471September 12, 2019 8:02 PM

Haha - sorry, make that *live*

by Anonymousreply 472September 12, 2019 8:04 PM

Jack barely mentioned anyone from his father's side except for fathers days and the dad's birthdays on social media, and his parents are not on good terms at all. However his dad was bragging him to Brian Grazer the other day - see the comments under this post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473September 12, 2019 8:13 PM

Nepotism only takes you so far. If Uncle Brian decides he's too much of a pain...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474September 12, 2019 8:41 PM

R470 Yikes, sounds like another Dom & Tom Holland situation, jealous of his own son

by Anonymousreply 475September 12, 2019 9:00 PM

How old are the posters here who are following a 16 year-old kid actor?

by Anonymousreply 476September 12, 2019 10:15 PM

Andy Muschietti and Finn Wolfhard both liked some IG fan account stating that Eddie showed no romantic feelings for Richie.

by Anonymousreply 477September 12, 2019 10:58 PM

So do we think JDG has watched Ransome's Ken Park masturbation scene? Did it get JDG hard? Did JDG masturbate to Ransome's masturbation? Did JDG lust after Ransome's thin 9 incher?

So many questions...... lol

by Anonymousreply 478September 12, 2019 10:58 PM

Jesus, the director wants to shoot more scenes for the supercut. Getting the sense he knows he'll never have a success like this again and so doesn't want to let go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479September 12, 2019 11:01 PM

Too many, 476. I'd suggest they start a separate but that's even creepier than them posting in here.

by Anonymousreply 480September 12, 2019 11:05 PM

The one thing I've learned this week is how many queens are hysterical, illiterate and don't pay any attention. If the opening scene surprised you, you're an idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481September 12, 2019 11:07 PM

Be careful now, r478 - we don't know if r476 is anywhere near her fainting couch!

by Anonymousreply 482September 12, 2019 11:26 PM

r482 given the demographics of Datalounge, the fact that posters seem to know the intimate details of the life of a teenaged kid is more than a bit eyebrow-raising. Normal men who are well into adulthood, if not middle age, tend not to be interested in the sexual proclivities of 16 year-olds.

by Anonymousreply 483September 13, 2019 12:15 AM

I cant believe people are crying because two gay men were beat up in a movie by homophobes.... this shit REALLY happens. What did you want? Because your asses know you would be crying if they cut the gay couple segment out all together. When this film was announced I remember people bitching non stop on here about how they "know" they will cut it etc. and they didnt so now theyre bitching that they showed it????

by Anonymousreply 484September 13, 2019 2:26 AM

[QUOTE]When this film was announced I remember people bitching non stop on here about how they "know" they will cut it etc. and they didnt so now theyre bitching that they showed it????

Or - and this is a crazy idea - they could be different people having different opinions.

by Anonymousreply 485September 13, 2019 2:29 AM

Here's my question about book vs. movie. I've only seen the movie:

In Chapter Two it flashes back to the kids giving us information we didn't see in the first movie. Was the book structured like this or was it written in a completely linear form?

by Anonymousreply 486September 13, 2019 2:40 AM

How is showing homophobia bad? Why are we as gay men so special that we cant show the bad shit along with the good, like for everyone else?

by Anonymousreply 487September 13, 2019 2:44 AM

The book goes back and forth from the kids to the adults.

by Anonymousreply 488September 13, 2019 2:46 AM

R486

Back and forth, like in the second movie.

by Anonymousreply 489September 13, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote] Normal men who are well into adulthood, if not middle age, tend not to be interested in the sexual proclivities of 16 year-olds.

Wrong. "Normal" men don't [italic]hit on[/italic] 16-year-olds (whether because of legal ramifications, social ramifications, or simply realism), but they're certainly interested in their sexual proclivities. Granted, with "normal" men it's usually 16-year-old girls, but this is a gay board - and gay men come in different types. Some (like you, I assume) are more similar to straight women in what attracts them, who (not always, but most of the time) tend to look on 16-year-olds as unformed things; others are more similar to straight men in what attracts them - and those will be interested in the sexuality of nubile young twinks, which might take the form of shockingly depraved behaviour like following their social media or discussing them on message boards.

Sorry for the digression - now back onto topic.

by Anonymousreply 490September 13, 2019 8:17 AM

I posted this on Youtube so I'll repost here...

OK, as someone who hasn't read the book I want to ask all the people who say neither RIchie nor Eddie were gay a question. Why has this debate about them been going on since the book was first published. This is a quote from a reddit message board

"𝑻𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒄𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒓: 𝑨𝒔 𝒂 (𝒈𝒂𝒚) 𝒌𝒊𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑰𝒕 𝒅𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒅𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒈𝒐, 𝑹𝒊𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑬𝒅𝒅𝒊𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒑 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒂𝒔 𝒈𝒂𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒎𝒆. 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒂𝒄𝒚 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒄𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒕𝒐𝒖𝒄𝒉𝒚-𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍𝒚. 𝑲𝒊𝒅𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒈𝒆 𝒅𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒅𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒎𝒚 𝒆𝒓𝒂. 𝑰𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒈𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒅. 𝑫𝒊𝒅 𝑰 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒔, 𝒏𝒐. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒂𝒔 𝒂 '𝒈𝒂𝒚' 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒎𝒆."

I notice that no one questions the heterosexuality of any of the other characters. It's always Richie and Eddie. Where there's smoke there's fire. Stephen King said the gay bashing in Bangor Maine was heavy in his mind and heart when he wrote the original novel so he likely added a positive gay subtext to these two characters and and didn't even realize it. All the other depictions of gayness in the novel are negative. The gay bashing and Henry Bowers blowjob from his friend.

What's the name of that author who's a super anti-gay bigot but he keeps writing homoerotic fiction? The guy who wrote Enders Game. I mean just because Stephen King didn't intend for the characters to be gay doesn't mean that it's not their in the subtext. Heck! The director Andy Muschietti and his wife certainly saw it enough subtext in the book that they added it to the movie as textual.

by Anonymousreply 491September 13, 2019 10:53 AM

boring,, not near as freeky scaarey as the last one, we left midway thru.....weird. clown not in it as much as first

by Anonymousreply 492September 13, 2019 10:55 AM

r463 Assuming your a gay guy have you ever had a crush on a male friend growing up? You turn about 12 or 13 and you start to notice that you're staring at little Billy an awful lot lately. If he's your friend you have a couple of choices. You can play it off. If he invites you to a sleep over you volunteer to sleep on the floor, you don't change in front of him etc. You get kind of distant or you can do what the character of Richie does and you can use insults and teasing to mask your true feelings.

I would love for someone to ask Finn Wolfhard or Andy Muschietti if they knew about Richie being gay in the first movie. I suspect the answer would be no at least on Finn's part but there are enough subtle clues that could be read that way even in the first movie.

by Anonymousreply 493September 13, 2019 11:06 AM

r490 normal adult men aren't all that interested in teenagers, no matter how you try to spin it. It's sick.

by Anonymousreply 494September 13, 2019 2:07 PM

No, r494, the vast majority of men are turned on by nubile young people who are at the peak of their reproductive ability. Acting on it is altogether different thing.

by Anonymousreply 495September 13, 2019 2:16 PM

r495 we'll just have to agree that you're a sick fuck and leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 496September 13, 2019 2:27 PM

Anyone defending wanting to watching 15 year old JDG have sex and obsessed with his sex life is sick. If you can get his ip address please report him.

by Anonymousreply 497September 13, 2019 2:31 PM

This jack kid comes across as sociopathic and evil. I have such contempt for him and want someone to sort him out. I don't care about my image, if I had a chance to get near him he would've been punched a 100 times over.

by Anonymousreply 498September 13, 2019 6:58 PM

R431 I agree with this article the movie is so close to be being gay positive but the fucked up Adrian's beating. I just finished the novel and in the novel Adrian's beating is attributed to Pennywise bringing out the worst in people. the film doesn't doesn't make it clear.

by Anonymousreply 499September 14, 2019 1:06 AM

Shockingly boring, guess the thrill is gone....guy who plays the clown seems to have aged and gone to pudge huh...

by Anonymousreply 500September 14, 2019 12:52 PM

Yes R500, in real life Bill Skarsgard has put on some weight. His face looks chunky, but he's so damn Scandinavian (i.e. tall, thin, graceful, attractive) that his body just looks like a normal non-Scandinavian person's body now. That shit is weird.

by Anonymousreply 501September 14, 2019 10:39 PM

Nicholas Hamilton (young Bowers) has been semi-out for a while, but has now confirmed (in the most casual way possible, by showing him off to people on his phone during a livestream with some YouTubers) that he has a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 502September 15, 2019 1:31 AM

Here they are together at the IT Chapter Two premiere:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503September 15, 2019 1:32 AM

R503 his boyfriend is cute.

by Anonymousreply 504September 15, 2019 3:05 AM

R504 They both are, love Nickys hot white trash vibe

by Anonymousreply 505September 15, 2019 3:20 AM

Jay Ryan is way out of Jessica Chatain's old, masc league

by Anonymousreply 506September 15, 2019 4:20 AM

Jay Ryan is way out of Jessica Chatain's old, masc league

by Anonymousreply 507September 15, 2019 4:20 AM

It’s very bad. People were laughing in the theater. It was ridiculous. The TV version is way better.

by Anonymousreply 508September 15, 2019 6:46 AM

- I loved Ziggy. He gave a very charismatic performance. Didn't want him to die.

- Now I wish James McAvoy had. I never believed he was Bill. The only thing they have in common is their honkers. Thanks to his Scottish genes he also looked a decade older than half the cast.

- Jessica Chastain was doing her typical battered woman routine. I never for a second believed she was Sophia Lillis.

- Jay Ryan looked beautiful. Hope he gets out of C-list TV hell and gets some decent film roles. Preferably nude.

- Black guy was good. Nice that the stereotype was subverted and he was the mastermind.

by Anonymousreply 509September 15, 2019 12:18 PM

Wtf happened to skarssgards face? he a boozer???

by Anonymousreply 510September 15, 2019 12:46 PM

anyone see Downton Abbey? kinda boring....

by Anonymousreply 511September 15, 2019 12:55 PM

I was watching the interviews up thread and with the exception of Chosen Jacobs and Sophia Lillis those children are really fucking obnoxious. Not necessarily more than other rich confident teens, but it makes me thank the lawmakers of years past that child labour laws being what they are, we don't generally see much publicity of children discussing their careers. The people upthread gushing about how honest and interesting and snarky they are must be be teenagers themselves.

The kids did not like Andy Bean, Bill Hader and James Ransone because they cater to them the way producers and agents and handlers do.

That Wyatt kid giving notes to Bean and talking about "directing" his performance, holy FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 512September 15, 2019 2:31 PM

Children and teens can be obnoxious but child/teen actors take being obnoxious to another level.

by Anonymousreply 513September 15, 2019 2:40 PM

[quote]The kids did not like Andy Bean, Bill Hader and James Ransone because they cater to them the way producers and agents and handlers do.

I meant that Bean, Hader and Ransone DIDN'T cater to the kids.

Grazer even called Jay Ryan a tool.

by Anonymousreply 514September 15, 2019 2:55 PM

[quote]I was watching the interviews up thread and with the exception of Chosen Jacobs and Sophia Lillis those children are really fucking obnoxious.

Oh, and the fat kid seemed like a decent person too. Sorry fat kid.

by Anonymousreply 515September 15, 2019 2:56 PM

R509 Harry Anderson and Dennis Christopher alone look ancient in comparison to the current cast. The trend of people aging slower is true even when compared to just a few decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 516September 15, 2019 2:58 PM

r515

I think Jaeden seems very sweet as well. It's really just Jack, Finn and Wyatt who can be trouble, to varying degrees.

by Anonymousreply 517September 15, 2019 3:09 PM

R515 that kid Jeremy Ray Taylor is a pro lifer who lives in the south, and seems like a kill joy in every interview. Wyatt, Jaeden, Jack and Finn are in that film bro phase where they think they can be directors and writers despite barely having acting careers.

by Anonymousreply 518September 15, 2019 4:14 PM

[QUOTE]That Wyatt kid giving notes to Bean and talking about "directing" his performance, holy FUCK.

I wonder if he was genuinely trying to be helpful, or if he was deliberately being a dick.

[QUOTE]where they think they can be directors and writers despite barely having acting careers

They probably can is the depressing answer - it was announced a couple of days ago that Millie Bobbie Brown is going to be starring in, producing and writing a film for Netflix. I have no doubt it's more likely she came up with some kind of vague idea and they're going to hire an actual writer and then just give MBB a writing credit to please her ego, but still.

by Anonymousreply 519September 15, 2019 9:21 PM

[Quote] it was announced a couple of days ago that Millie Bobbie Brown is going to be starring in, producing and writing a film for Netflix.

I can't take her seriously when girl can't even be bothered to promote her own skincare line.

by Anonymousreply 520September 16, 2019 2:37 PM

We made it half way thru then ducked into Downton Abbey....not bad

by Anonymousreply 521September 17, 2019 11:04 AM

In this livestream, JDG says that he didn't know about the "R+E" scene as it was not in the script, and then says it was "controversial" - but I'm not sure if he refers to the reception, or to what was going on behind the scenes.

(At 4m25s)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522September 18, 2019 10:15 AM

R522

And what was going on behind the scenes?

by Anonymousreply 523September 18, 2019 12:29 PM

I was wondering if he meant that including the scene was a controversial decision within the production (with the director being for it and the studio against it, or something like that), r523.

by Anonymousreply 524September 18, 2019 12:50 PM

I must say I love his multi colored painted nails. I must say the sometimes I forget these are artistic kids and as such they're gonna be a little out there and flamboyant.

by Anonymousreply 525September 18, 2019 1:00 PM

He sounds gay as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 526September 18, 2019 1:27 PM

R522 Bill Hader said in an interview he talked with the director about Richie's sexuality after he arrived in Toronto for filming. I assume R+E wasn't part of the earlier draft they used during table read, which is why the younger cast did not get the memo

by Anonymousreply 527September 18, 2019 6:08 PM

R525 They're just painted nails, they don't mean anything.

by Anonymousreply 528September 18, 2019 10:07 PM

r528

r525 just said it was flamboyant, he didn't say it means he's gay or anything.

by Anonymousreply 529September 19, 2019 9:31 AM

I was taking more of an aim at the artistic part. And maybe a little at the 'out there' part - is it still considered all that odd for men to paint their nails? Feels like we should be past that by now. But maybe my view is skewed by my thing for rockers.

by Anonymousreply 530September 19, 2019 9:39 AM

What in hell happened to Bill Skarssgard's face?

by Anonymousreply 531September 19, 2019 9:59 AM

r530

Hm - I've definitely noticed that painting your nails has become popular even with non-androgynous boys over the last few years (as opposed to the noughties, where it was just the emos doing it), but I don't think it's quite a mainstream thing yet.

by Anonymousreply 532September 19, 2019 10:21 AM

Painting nails is not mainstream yet. It's still more popular with artistic types. Heck! None of the gay pornstars I follow paint there nails. I will say that the guys I notice who do it do seem to be not traditionally masculine.

I don't know Jack sexual proclivities but he wears gaudy jewelry, paints his nails and has a tendency to kiss and dry hump other boys. Make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 533September 19, 2019 3:20 PM

Richie after Eddie dies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534September 20, 2019 3:08 AM

Continued...

one of my favorite scenes of the movie. I love them all just holding Richie as he cries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535September 20, 2019 3:09 AM

R535 this is a great scene. The part where they look at their reflections and it switched back to the kids were also very good. It was from the book I think. Though I hated how they tried to make Stanley's suicide some sort of sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 536September 20, 2019 4:05 AM

The movie flopped for us. Not up to par, something off......we give it a Bminus

by Anonymousreply 537September 20, 2019 10:21 AM

Bill Hader is such a great actor. He was a saving grace of this shitty movie.

by Anonymousreply 538September 20, 2019 12:57 PM

Ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539September 20, 2019 3:55 PM

Finn Wolfhard's thoughts on Richie's sexuality.

Moving to It: Chapter Two, Richie’s sexuality is explored more in Chapter Two. Were you surprised by this reveal when you first read the arcade scene, as well as Bill Hader’s part, or did it make sense to you right away?

FW: I thought it totally made sense. Again, it’s ambiguous. You don’t really know for sure. Some fans think it’s real, and some fans don’t. I think that’s what’s interesting about making these movies because they’re not the exact same as the book. And I thought it totally made sense because in the first movie, he has the clown scene, but there’s something more than that that’s deep inside. It’s something that he’s so ashamed of that he doesn’t even bring it up to his friends until it shows in the second movie. He’s still in the closet when he’s 40, and once they finally defeat Pennywise, the fear goes away. You’re finally comfortable with who you are. I think Andy [Muschietti] and Bill really captured it beautifully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540September 25, 2019 9:01 PM

Remind us, who is FW?

by Anonymousreply 541September 26, 2019 1:10 AM

Wow, I must need glasses. I didn't notice an age difference in the younger kids. I assumed they filmed the flashback scenes when they filmed chapter 1 to avoid them looking older.

by Anonymousreply 542September 26, 2019 1:23 AM

R541 or you could've read the first line of the post.

by Anonymousreply 543September 26, 2019 3:12 AM

I knew FW meant Finn Wolfhard, i just didn't recall who Mr. Wolfhard was...

by Anonymousreply 544September 26, 2019 4:17 AM

I just saw 'Scary Stories to tell in the Dark" and it is far superior.

by Anonymousreply 545September 26, 2019 5:48 AM

Do we have the scene where Xavier Dolan's character dies?

by Anonymousreply 546September 26, 2019 5:53 AM

Don't forget distributors and crew R546!

by Anonymousreply 547September 26, 2019 5:58 AM

Jay Ryan was too sexy for Jessica Chastain

by Anonymousreply 548September 27, 2019 2:31 AM

As each character remembers something from their past on their journey to regain their memories during that period they were no longer friends as kids so they can battle Pennywise they each get attacked by Pennywise in modern day by him after, all but Ben in the High School. Why didnt Ben get attacked by Pennywise when he visited the HS and remembered the attack?

by Anonymousreply 549September 27, 2019 2:34 AM

R549

Because writers are stupid and didnt get the point of King's book at all?

by Anonymousreply 550September 27, 2019 3:34 AM

So any Jay Ryan nudes leaked yet?

by Anonymousreply 551October 1, 2019 1:06 AM

I think the Eddie Kaspbrak Lazy-Susan/Merry-Go-Round scene was CLEARLY a rip-off of the controversial Kevin Williams film Hot Rods 2: The Young & The Hung. Victor "Vic" Criss and Reginald "Belch" Huggins may have been punching him, but in his fevered fantasies, Eddie was getting fisted by Henry Bowers. A scholarly, deliberative reexamination of that sequence reinforces this critic's opinion.

by Anonymousreply 552November 24, 2019 6:25 AM

r552 huh?

by Anonymousreply 553November 25, 2019 7:59 PM

I finally got around to watching this on Netflix two nights ago. I thought it was fine. To be honest, it seemed to be of the same quality as the first film, I just think the childhood part of this story is the more interesting for people to watch, and the child actors were really good and had great chemistry. But I'm not a good horror watcher, because I don't really get scared anymore. I hate jump scares so I get tense and annoyed, but mostly horror fails for me because I'm watching them straight. Like a drama really. Which is why I could enjoy IT fine, as I was interested in the characters.

I like both McAvoy and Chastain, but I have to admit, I thought they were miscast. I am in love with older Stanley though. Great bum. Looks like the kind of guy you want to fuck hard and could also really fall hard for.

I wonder if I'm weird, because I don't really remember reading gay subtext into anything as a kid. I read everything Stephen King had available when I was a teen, and to be honest, he frequently has straight male characters hugging each other and telling each other "I love you". I just always thought it was him creating an idealised friendship among men, and signalling the inherent good in these characters too. I'm kinda weirded out now that I realise I never looked into stories in that way like other gay kids did.

For people asking about Jay Ryan nudes, they must be out there. I'm sure he spent a lot of his acting time here in Australia playing the dumb character who gets tricked by a girl into taking all his clothes off and then gets locked outside so everyone can laugh at his naked bottom as he tries to hide. You know, typical terrible Australian television sort of stuff that passes for hilarity. 😉

by Anonymousreply 554September 19, 2020 10:43 PM

Why did that stupid little twat Jaeden Lieberher change his name to Jaeden Martell?

I thought it was nice that he kept his father's last name, especially after seeing his father on Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives. His father's a hard working chef in a small Los Angeles brew pub, and he must have been so proud that his famous kid kept his last name.

Then all of a sudden, Jaeden Liberher changes his name to Jaeden "Martell." Whatever.

Little twat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555September 19, 2020 10:52 PM

Jaeden's dad - Chef Wes - is so handsome.

He seems like a really nice guy, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556September 19, 2020 11:05 PM

[Quote] I'm sure he spent a lot of his acting time here in Australia playing the dumb character who gets tricked by a girl into taking all his clothes off and then gets locked outside so everyone can laugh at his naked bottom as he tries to hide. You know, typical terrible Australian television sort of stuff that passes for hilarity. 😉

Someone's a Neighbours fan 😄

by Anonymousreply 557September 20, 2020 6:33 AM

[quote] I haven’t seen it yet, but to those of you who have seen in, do you think Bill Hader will have Oscar Buzz? I’ve read on Twitter that some people think he will get a nom

Bill Hader ruined the movie. I found him annoying and he's SO ugly.

by Anonymousreply 558June 6, 2021 4:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!