Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's Be the Home of a Typical OVER 50 DL Poster

I'm the hamper. I have half of an unwashed caftan hanging out of the side. Don't come near me.

by Anonymousreply 204February 6, 2020 3:44 AM

I'm his late mother's tea service.

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2019 4:22 PM

I’m the black and white poster of Marilyn Monroe splashing herself with Chanel no 5, I’m in a plastic frame and am hanging in the hallway by the powder room.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2019 4:33 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2020 7:25 PM

I’m TCM and yappy dog noise in the background. I’m the long afternoon spent on hold with the insurance company trying to get refills for all my medications.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2020 7:37 PM

I'm the Breakfront with my Mom's Waterford crystal. In the cabinet's below is her wedding china. Somewhere around the house is her silver service. Thanks, OP. I wanted to laugh at this thread and at myself. But I'm crying now, because I really miss my Mom. I have no idea what to do with this stuff. No one really wants it, yet I don't want to part with it. How do you part with stuff that meant much to a loved one? I know they're just things, but they are reminders of good times.

by Anonymousreply 5January 22, 2020 7:43 PM

I love you, r5

by Anonymousreply 6January 22, 2020 7:51 PM

i'm the tigerbalm and MeTv

by Anonymousreply 7January 22, 2020 8:00 PM

r5, eventually something will need to be done with your mom's stuff. Either use it or sell it. Maybe keep a couple of pieces as mementos. Take photos. My mother tried to foist off her mother's silver on us kids and no one wanted it. I said "I'll take it, but am selling it." My mother was horrified. But now at 81, and with two complete silver sets that she never uses anymore, she's wondering what to do with it. I told her to sell it all and donate the money to charity. She's thinking about it. But with silver, you need to sell it to a silver smith and not a consignment or thrift store. They will melt it down and you'll get a better price.

Best not to have sentimental attachment to things.

by Anonymousreply 8January 22, 2020 8:02 PM

I think it might be fun to be in the home of a 20-something. Nothing much in it besides the tech they carry around with them!

by Anonymousreply 9January 22, 2020 8:06 PM

I'm the laptop/desktop bookmarked to Sean Cody and Corbin Fisher, because I love to watch straight guys fucking one another.

How do I know they're straight, you ask? Because SC and CF PR flaks come on DL and say so, so I believe them.

by Anonymousreply 10January 22, 2020 8:07 PM

I'm the 21 year old just leaving who got the fucking if his life from an over 50 year old.

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2020 8:18 PM

r11 I'm the watch the 21 year old took with him.

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2020 8:19 PM

I am the Icy Hot that the 50 year old has to apply after pounding the 21 year old.

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2020 8:34 PM

Im the picture of Divine and Miss Edie hanging over the powder room toilet

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2020 8:37 PM

I'm the overstuffed couch in the living room covered in a Chintz fabric, if you look carefully you will see stains in the pattern, you don't want to know how the stains got there.

by Anonymousreply 15January 22, 2020 8:42 PM

I am the large jewelry strong-box that houses the 7 strands of (Sunday through Saturday) clutch pearls. It’s known as the Pearl Harbor.

by Anonymousreply 16January 22, 2020 9:02 PM

I am the Magic Mirror, covered in a fiction film, that strips 30+ years off the seeker’s age. It’s activated by the words “Lie to me; how old do I look?”

by Anonymousreply 17January 22, 2020 9:09 PM

I'm the smart tv showing Pluto TV's Antiques Roadshow channel 24/7 and the cheap box of wine in the fridge. He goes to a different store everyday for a new box, 'cause he doesn't want the people who work there to think he's a drunk.

by Anonymousreply 18January 22, 2020 9:14 PM

r5, r8 isn't correct. Depending on the maker and pattern of the silver, it may be worth much more than the silver melt price, which is the lowest price you'll get for it. Antique dealers and those who specialize in silver matching, will be interested in it if it's desirable. I know, my mother was a silver dealer.

by Anonymousreply 19January 22, 2020 9:15 PM

I am the 3 Door Latches & Bolts that keep Mother from coming down into The Mooch’s lair when he is at home in the cellar.

by Anonymousreply 20January 22, 2020 9:19 PM

I’m the millennial tenant renting their basement. I’ll never own a home. My retirement plan is eating dog food.

by Anonymousreply 21January 22, 2020 9:24 PM

I am the yellow brick road around the commode that rarely gets cleaned.

by Anonymousreply 22January 22, 2020 9:26 PM

I’m the condo bought ten years ago for 300K just reappraised at 1.2 mil.

by Anonymousreply 23January 22, 2020 9:28 PM

I’m the pink carpet on the toilet lid cover. The toilet tank and the wrap-around-the-toilet carpet are here with me.

by Anonymousreply 24January 22, 2020 9:29 PM

I’m the preparation H, here when you need me.

I’m the Herb Ritts print hanging in the living room that no one thinks is tasteful. It reminds you of their youth and all the friends you lost to AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 25January 22, 2020 9:37 PM

I'm r21, once again turning down the owner's offer to let me pay the rent with nature's credit card.

by Anonymousreply 26January 22, 2020 9:42 PM

I'm Mother's milk glass candy dish, overflowing with matchbooks from defunct gay bars. And dust.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 22, 2020 9:46 PM

[quote]I have no idea what to do with this stuff. No one really wants it, yet I don't want to part with it. How do you part with stuff that meant much to a loved one? I know they're just things, but they are reminders of good times.

You donate it Sweetie, to the Good Will or Rescue Mission, some place that has a store to raise money. Someone who wants it will buy it, you can take the donation off your taxes and you will doing a good thing in your Mom's name.

by Anonymousreply 28January 22, 2020 9:55 PM

I'm the 25 year old pool boy cleaning up the dishes.

by Anonymousreply 29January 22, 2020 10:06 PM

I'm meemaw's collection of Hummel figurines, the family heirloom, sitting on a sad mantelpiece, which gets dusted once a week. I'm also the discarded containers from P.F. Chang's lying around the kitchen, since last night was the fancy ethnic dinner night. I'm also an external hard drive of old CF videos, which is, more or less, what the owner's sex life has been reduced to.

by Anonymousreply 30January 22, 2020 10:08 PM

I'm "Judy at Carnegie Hall". I live in CD player and I get played at some point in every dinner party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 22, 2020 10:10 PM

R5 sorry for your loss but I’ll take the Waterford. It’s the original stuff.

by Anonymousreply 32January 22, 2020 10:11 PM

I'm the white cat named Lady Di.

by Anonymousreply 33January 22, 2020 10:16 PM

I'm pills on the kitchen counter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 22, 2020 10:18 PM

I'm the Twinkies wrappers between the cushions of the couch. It's the closest I get to sucking off twinks these days.

by Anonymousreply 35January 22, 2020 10:27 PM

I'm the exquisite Divine fridge magnet acquired at the late Dorothy's Surrender in WEHO . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 22, 2020 10:27 PM

R8 and R19, thank you. It's a nice idea to sell things and donate the money to a worthy cause. Can we meet, R6? R32, there's a lot of it.

Even before she died, my Mom told me that you cannot keep everything, Looking at this stuff, you can see how much tastes have changed. My parents were married in 1956. One set of china was her wedding china. And she received the silver service then. But then you start to accumulate more stuff over the course of a marriage and family life, inheriting more stuff when older relatives die. There are serving plates. Then, there individual china ashtrays that went with having a dinner party! A china set used strictly for serving fruit...demitasse cups and saucers!

I know it's just stuff. And you don't see too many luggage racks on hearses. But it's like throwing somebody's life away.

by Anonymousreply 37January 22, 2020 10:31 PM

I'm handcuffs in the nightstand. Somehow I've lost my key and I haven't been used in years. :-(

by Anonymousreply 38January 22, 2020 10:43 PM

I'm the 401k hovering around 1 million as my owner considers his retirement options. Puerto Vallarta? Fort Lauderdale? Eureka Springs?

by Anonymousreply 39January 22, 2020 10:53 PM

R37 I was in a similar predicament, but it was my sister who died and I had a lot of her things. I had some in storage. I knew how much she had loved these items and I felt too sad at giving it away/throwing away.

My current partner helped me with this. He bought a medium sized cedar chest and said put the things you most want of hers in there. Once it is full, close it. I had been carrying around her wedding dress even - it was sealed in a special box, quite large. That, and her other things that didn't go in the chest were donated. I know she would have liked to have someone in need wearing her beautiful dress.

by Anonymousreply 40January 22, 2020 10:54 PM

I’m the top cat. The other cat is my bitch.

by Anonymousreply 41January 22, 2020 11:03 PM

I'm the over 50 DL Poster. Why is this 32 year old "kid" in the basement with skid marked underwear, spends all day gaming and only comes upstairs for a handout of money, food and laundry service

by Anonymousreply 42January 22, 2020 11:13 PM

I’m the bitch with no sense of humor who likes to shit on every thread, who doesn’t know that he’ll be dead of a massive heart attack in just four days...and will have his eyeballs eaten by little Penelope by the time the mailman smells the putrification.

by Anonymousreply 43January 22, 2020 11:16 PM

I’m the next door neighbor who screams out in terror, every time the Victrola in the window plays "Papa, Can You Hear Me?"

by Anonymousreply 44January 22, 2020 11:20 PM

I'm the next door neighbor's son Joel. I don't know there are dozens of DL threads about me.

by Anonymousreply 45January 22, 2020 11:43 PM

I'm 50. any questions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 23, 2020 12:11 AM

I’m the loud steam radiator that cannot compete with the hissing and lisping coming from the owner.

by Anonymousreply 47January 23, 2020 12:34 AM

I am kitty. My caftan wearing owner doesn't know I am planning his demise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 23, 2020 12:43 AM

I’m the second half of the chocolate cheesecake that was strategically placed in the kitchen trash-bin. Everyday the lid opens and he secretly pinches off one more bite before my final disposal.

by Anonymousreply 49January 23, 2020 1:11 AM

I’m the disposed of computer keyboards, piling up because my fat whore of an owner types fat.

by Anonymousreply 50January 23, 2020 1:15 AM

[quote]R37 Thank you, R8 and R19. It's a nice idea to sell things and donate the money to a worthy cause. Can we meet, R6? There’s a lot of [this Waterford crystal and family silver], R32.

I’m the crime scene investigator, smoking a cig in the disheveled dining room and thinking out loud, “There was no forced entry, so it was someone he knew. Or was expecting...”

by Anonymousreply 51January 23, 2020 1:16 AM

I'm the 2005 Mini Cooper in the driveway. So fun and gay when new; so sad now. I haven't been driven for awhile, not since the final DUI. Plus, my owner has trouble hefting himself in and out in any case.

by Anonymousreply 52January 23, 2020 2:57 AM

I’m the bottle of K-Y Jelly by the nightstand.

I’ve turned to dust.

by Anonymousreply 53January 23, 2020 11:23 AM

I’m the thongs in the clothes hamper, i’ve just returned from his vacation in Puerto Vallarta where I had to nestle between his saggy, droopy, over-tanned ass cheeks. That same ass that saw NO action other than sitting on a bar stool in Garbos for 4 hours getting drunk.

by Anonymousreply 54January 23, 2020 12:05 PM

[quote]Don't come near me.

Shouldn't be a problem OP.

by Anonymousreply 55January 23, 2020 12:07 PM

I know I should modernize but I'm a Vaseline Petroleum Jelly gal.

by Anonymousreply 56January 23, 2020 6:19 PM

I am these words, about to be posted on Datalounge

[quote] I like to do a simple chicken paillard over either quick-sauted greens or a lightly-dressed salad with lemon wedges and some kind of toasted nut on top.

by Anonymousreply 57January 23, 2020 6:23 PM

I'm all the lights in the house. I'm usually turned off when the owner takes his grindr profile pic.

by Anonymousreply 58January 23, 2020 7:14 PM

We all wake up when Wheel of Fortune comes on. We all gather 'round.

by Anonymousreply 59January 23, 2020 10:01 PM

R59 is the most accurate so far

by Anonymousreply 60January 23, 2020 10:04 PM

I love Wheel of Fortune. It's nice clean fun.

by Anonymousreply 61January 23, 2020 10:08 PM

You could always start using it every day r5. It seems a shame to get rid of things you're attached to, so use her silver every day and her wedding china for your everyday meals. Give away things you won't use and start drinking your San Pellegrino out of her old Waterford. I feel like you'd feel bad about purging it all, and it's cluttering up the house, so just use it. It will make you feel connected to her.

by Anonymousreply 62January 23, 2020 10:24 PM

Im the late mothers evening gowns hanging in the spare room closet . Every now and then Im drug out and donned , usually under the influence of several strong drinkie poos . He then performs several numbers from obscure broadway shows no one remembers,then passes out after sobbing for hours .

by Anonymousreply 63January 23, 2020 10:25 PM

I’m the gay homoerotic “art”. I used to be a political statement - but know I’m considered decoration.

by Anonymousreply 64January 23, 2020 10:30 PM

I am the 6 newly purchased pints of Ben & Jerry's and Talenti gelato in the freezer

Only 5 of us will remain tomorrow morning

by Anonymousreply 65January 23, 2020 10:46 PM

I am the hour spent prepping, cooking and clearing every meal.

Because we need to fill the hours somehow and gin only goes so far.

by Anonymousreply 66January 23, 2020 10:47 PM

I'm every surface covered with either dust, cat hair or grease.

by Anonymousreply 67January 23, 2020 11:05 PM

I am the complete collection of all of Barbra's films and tv specials, arranged in chronological order in the entertainment center.

by Anonymousreply 68January 23, 2020 11:05 PM

I'm the lingering pall if Benson & Hedges 100s that the owner used to smoke, 10 years and two apartments ago.

How is it possible that I am even her? And yet I am, overpowering so.

by Anonymousreply 69January 23, 2020 11:23 PM

I'm Mother's China and Mother's Tea Service, in the dining room with Mother's Table and Chairs.

by Anonymousreply 70January 23, 2020 11:46 PM

I'm the Vanity Fairs, fanned out on the coffee table.

by Anonymousreply 71January 23, 2020 11:48 PM

I'm the bedroom. The chairs were Mother's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 23, 2020 11:51 PM

Do all old DLers hoard their mom's stuff?

by Anonymousreply 73January 23, 2020 11:54 PM

I'm the Gene dolls, prominently displayed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 23, 2020 11:57 PM

I am the latest attempt to install the Amazon Fire TV stick (bought for $15 on Cyber Monday)

I am the sigh of defeat and return to evenings on Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 75January 23, 2020 11:58 PM

I am his delusional brain, that makes him believe that even though he is fifty, he still looks thirty and can have his choice of all of the young twinks out there.

by Anonymousreply 76January 24, 2020 12:07 AM

R22, R27 and R67, I’m Maritza, the maid. How dare you?

by Anonymousreply 77January 24, 2020 12:17 AM

R62, one problem is that most high-quality older china can’t go in the dishwasher. Similarly, experts - whoever they might be – say you shouldn’t put sterling silver in the dishwasher. So, when someone says “use it”, they’re also saying “hand wash it.”

Or, you could use a few pieces of it and dishwash it anyway. If some of the pattern comes off the china or the silver is … whatever is supposed to happen to silver in the dishwasher … so what? You were going to donate or discard it anyway, or sell it for a pittance.

by Anonymousreply 78January 24, 2020 12:19 AM

I’m half the posts in this thread; I have a vivid imagination when it comes to eldergays’ sex lives – and their interest in same.

by Anonymousreply 79January 24, 2020 12:20 AM

I'm books, CDs and DVDs. There are a lot of me.

by Anonymousreply 80January 24, 2020 12:22 AM

I'm books, CDs and DVDs. There are a lot of me.

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2020 12:22 AM

I was going to take offense when I read, "I'm the Breakfront with my Mom's Waterford crystal. In the cabinet's below is her wedding china."

OOPS. Check that.

But in my defense, it's my parents Drexel Chinoise breakfront and includes their museum quality Chinese porcelains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2020 12:38 AM

We're the two humongous faux Chinese vases in the entrance foyer. We're a sign of class.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2020 1:00 AM

I'm the pervasive smell of cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2020 1:03 AM

I love a good mean but funny thread!

by Anonymousreply 85January 24, 2020 2:11 AM

I'm the rhinophyma.

by Anonymousreply 86January 24, 2020 4:29 AM

[quote]R68 I am the complete collection of all of Barbra's films and tv specials, arranged in chronological order in the entertainment center.

On VHS

by Anonymousreply 87January 24, 2020 4:32 AM

I'm essence of gin and regret. I pervade this place like a Yankee candle in every room.

by Anonymousreply 88January 24, 2020 10:26 AM

I'm the collection of vintage mass-market perfumes and fragrances. His own, from when he was a viable part boy, his mother's, his grandmothers'. Unbeknownst to the eldergay, I'm worth much more than Mother's mass-market silver service.

by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2020 10:39 AM

My eldergay is in his 70s. I'm the 40-50yo audiophile tube components that are in perfect state and prized by collectors. I'm also the vinyl collection. The idiot niece who comes to liquidate the apartment will pay to have me ("junk") carted away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2020 10:50 AM

I'm two BIKE jockstraps purchased in a sporting goods shop downtown in 1976. If you unfold me, the rubber in the waistband will break into a zillion little pieces.

by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2020 10:53 AM

I'm a Strunk and White The Elements of Style edition from the early 80s. There is one unsmoked clove cigarette from that époque preserved in my pages.

by Anonymousreply 92January 24, 2020 10:56 AM

I'm a pristine nearly complete collection of Major Matt Mason. You will notice I have price tags from shops throughout North America, This is because I was purchased in the late 1990s on eBay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 24, 2020 11:00 AM

I'm the almost complete collections of Advocate Men, Drummer, and Honcho magazines, lovingly cataloged. I am in the spare bedroom's closet, slowly deteriorating. No one has seen me since 1999.

by Anonymousreply 94January 24, 2020 11:04 AM

I'm a Jeff Stryker dildo, first edition, unused, in original box, signed by the star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95January 24, 2020 11:05 AM

I a small box of souvenirs from class trips throughout the eldergay's mandatory schooling.

by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2020 11:07 AM

I'm an ugly cookie tin from the 1980s, filled with grandmother's glass button collection.

by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2020 11:08 AM

We are the 5 desiccated mice found here and there in an otherwise well-kept home.

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2020 11:09 AM

Though I am in the designated age group, I have no idea who Major Matt Mason. But I love r93's correctness and specificity about things "purchased in the late 1990s on eBay" with "price tags from shops throughout North America."

When I found eBay in 2000, I bought a brand of dishes I'd originally owned in the late '70s and early '80s. I did everything I could to get them with dates on the back when I would logically have purchased them new.

No one knows but me. And now you.

by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2020 11:11 AM

I'm the figurines.

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2020 11:11 AM

I'm the heart and blood pressure pills.

by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2020 11:11 AM

I’m the TV Guide.

by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2020 11:12 AM

[quote]I'm the almost complete collection of Advocate Men

Well, [bold]I'm[/bold] the almost complete collection of The Advocate (through 1989, let's say).

by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2020 11:14 AM

I'm a 10-entrance discount card for a sauna in Hamburg. I was purchased in 1998 and show 3 entrances. Next to me is a fidelity card for an Imbiss on the Reeperbahn, adding up to 1 free curry wurst. Gee, both establishments still exist. Perhaps they will honour the cards?

by Anonymousreply 104January 24, 2020 11:18 AM

I'm the tiny but powerful tan-coloured binoculars that sit on the antique marble-topped sideboard by the kitchen window, which discreetly overlooks the bus stop, which serves the international ballet company school AND the local professional trade school.

by Anonymousreply 105January 24, 2020 11:24 AM

I'm a medium-sized transparent plastic storage box of recent vintage filled with impeccable tenues de soubrette of the finest French and Austrian linens and laces, in xxl sizes. I sit alone on the upper shelf in the armoire of the guest bedroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2020 11:32 AM

I'm a midnight blue peak lapel Brioni tuxedo, vintage 1988, that monsieur last squeezed himself into New Years Eve 2000.

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2020 11:38 AM

That's sort of me, R107, although the tux is from 2001. I squeezed into it about 5 years ago but have been dieting, have lost over 20 pounds, and it probably fits easily now.

by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2020 12:49 PM

I'm not yet 50, but apparently, I am already completely cliche.

It's fine, I am happy and comfortable with myself, and can laugh with you all.

by Anonymousreply 109January 24, 2020 12:57 PM

I'm the hot pink caftan, hanging on the shower rod. It was last worn at a recent dinner party, which was nearly ruined when a heated argument broke out about who did the best rendition of "I'm Still Here."

by Anonymousreply 110January 24, 2020 1:46 PM

I’m the monthly Fidelity statement - still delivered by the USPS - with the $2,000,000 balance, kids.

by Anonymousreply 111January 24, 2020 3:18 PM

I'm the knee-jerk defensiveness and thin skin.

by Anonymousreply 112January 24, 2020 3:20 PM

I'm the simmering resentment.

You see, I moved home from Kansas City to take care of mother as she slipped in and out of dementia. You'd think she would have appreciated it, but she spent every waking minute talking about my breeder siblings and their cell phone and opiod addicted demon spawn.

Still, it was nice to have someone to watch my soaps with.

Mother always did like her soaps.

by Anonymousreply 113January 24, 2020 3:28 PM

I'm the posts on Datalounge that play fast and loose with math

My age? Ten years less than reality. After all, everyone says I look it.

My sex life? I'll just add a zero to the number of hookups I had last year in that poll.

My income? It's none of their business. And they're all probably lying about how much they make too.

My retirement account? I'll say two million. That ought to make those snotty Millennios jealous

My weight? Well I did weigh under 200 lbs. Back in 1996 after I did Jenny Craig for four months, but it still counts!

by Anonymousreply 114January 24, 2020 3:34 PM

I'm the UPS delivery guy. I don't really have time to come in for a long, cool one, but thanks for asking. And asking. And asking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 24, 2020 3:41 PM

R115 so true ! LOL ! I was chatting/flirting with my cute young air conditioner tech and we somehow got on that subject . He told me he gets hit on by women,men and elderly people ALL the time ! I had to quickly reassure him I wasnt hitting on him (I was) and he was like "Oh I know. You didnt offer money like most old gay guys do !" I laughed,went into the house and wept quietly into a towel . OLD gay guy ????

by Anonymousreply 116January 24, 2020 4:34 PM

I forgot to mention the DL caveat that Im 59 but look 21 !

by Anonymousreply 117January 24, 2020 4:36 PM

lol R116

by Anonymousreply 118January 24, 2020 4:38 PM

R116 priceless!

I’m the dozen or so gold chains hanging on a saggy neck. I’m also the chunky gold ring on an extremely arthritic finger. (apparently I live in Miami). And in reality I’m over 50, and thankfully none of the above applies! But this thread is funny as shit!

by Anonymousreply 119January 24, 2020 5:13 PM

“He called me an ‘oldster.’”

“I called him a pig.”

by Anonymousreply 120January 24, 2020 5:13 PM

I'm the copy of Sandra Bernhard's "Without You I'm Nothing" vinyl recording of the live concert. I refer to the album as the "HOLY GRAIL."

by Anonymousreply 121January 24, 2020 5:18 PM

[quote]Back in 1996 after I did Jenny Craig for four months

And you call yourself a Gold Star gay ...

by Anonymousreply 122January 24, 2020 5:23 PM

I'm the copies of International Male and the Undergear catalogs.

by Anonymousreply 123January 24, 2020 5:56 PM

I’m the copies of pen pal letters to Our Chris, kept in a flowered shoe box.

(no replies on file) (yet!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 24, 2020 6:18 PM

Kudos to R116 for being honest and funny.

by Anonymousreply 125January 24, 2020 7:25 PM

I'm the framed poster of "Follies."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126January 24, 2020 7:37 PM

I am the aging sofa that is a collection of: nap drool, raw cookie dough, soap opera triggered tears, Cheez-It crumbs, odorous “proof” that he is lactose intolerant, unraveled old caftan threads—and an XXXL Minky Purple Hippo Throw.

by Anonymousreply 127January 24, 2020 7:58 PM

I’m the 3 leftover cans of Aqua Net hairspray that were optimistically bought in bulk from Costco in the early ‘90s. Sadly, I’m no longer needed, but I don’t get thrown away either.

by Anonymousreply 128January 24, 2020 8:03 PM

I'm a xl cardboard box filled with incandescent flame bulbs, in the attic. No LEDs will violate Monsieur's Maria Theresas until his body is 6 feet under.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129January 24, 2020 8:14 PM

I am a bowl of stewed prunes.

by Anonymousreply 130January 24, 2020 8:30 PM

I'm mother's sewing machine. I use it run up curtains and caftans and sell them on EBay.

by Anonymousreply 131January 24, 2020 8:44 PM

There most definitely is a store in Palm Springs or Wilton Shores called "Curtains and Caftans"

That's brilliant R131

by Anonymousreply 132January 24, 2020 9:14 PM

I wish I could buy R131 a month's worth of drinks and caftan fabric.

by Anonymousreply 133January 24, 2020 10:16 PM

I'm one of Mother's doilies. I'm on every flat surface in the house.

by Anonymousreply 134January 24, 2020 10:35 PM

I'm the vigilantly organized boxes of Gap In-Store Playlists from 1992 to 2006.

There is a whole bookshelf unit dedicated to me as well as Gap marketing images, Gap CDs and VHS, magazines containing Gap print ads, and much, much more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 24, 2020 10:44 PM

[quote]I'm a xl cardboard box filled with incandescent flame bulbs, in the attic

And I'm happy not to be the only thing in the house that's flaming.

by Anonymousreply 136January 25, 2020 12:22 AM

Well played R136

by Anonymousreply 137January 25, 2020 1:30 AM

I’m the chair in the living room that gets sat on when my owner sits in the dark every evening to drink and wonder where he went wrong in life while listening to old Barbra Streisand records.

by Anonymousreply 138January 25, 2020 1:42 AM

I'm the musical based on my owner's life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 25, 2020 3:17 AM

R138 I'm the same chair two hours after the Babs records are played, after my owner has had a few long conversations with Miss Boozette, and digs out the Bette Midler albums.

I know it's 2 a.m. if "The Rose" is playing.

by Anonymousreply 140January 25, 2020 3:45 AM

I'm the sign on my door:

No Millennials, Y's, Z's, twinks or Aspies.

by Anonymousreply 141January 25, 2020 4:59 AM

I am the mid-century modern home decor that is piling up on every surface because the resident has no room for me in his antique collective stall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 25, 2020 5:27 AM

That's not a home, R142. That's clearly a second hand store.

by Anonymousreply 143January 25, 2020 5:33 AM

R142 Specifically, I'm the collection of Pixiware.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144January 25, 2020 5:38 AM

R143 Duh. I wasn't going to spend the entire night looking for pics of someone's house. It was as close as I could get in three minutes.

by Anonymousreply 145January 25, 2020 5:43 AM

I'm 58. I still work every day, and have to clock in every day. Most of my furniture is pretty new. I've never even seen a caftan. I know I'm old. But my BF is very smart and cute, and owns his own business. I'm a gay man who has been very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 146January 25, 2020 5:51 AM

[quote]I know I'm old. But my BF is very smart

Lovely. Maybe he can help you with your grammar.

by Anonymousreply 147January 25, 2020 11:24 AM

R147, Maybe you can point out my grammatical errors, for my edification.

by Anonymousreply 148January 25, 2020 2:09 PM

R147: FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 149January 25, 2020 2:14 PM

R142 that very much looks like most of my house ! Minus the price tags . I had a booth for years,and havent seemed to have kicked the habit of buying for it . I JUST picked up a gorgeous Lalique bowl for $1 ! Yes ,Im old .

by Anonymousreply 150January 25, 2020 2:25 PM

Gay men want to go back to the mid-century and be a part of it. Instead of arrested, shunned and put in institutions.

by Anonymousreply 151January 25, 2020 2:36 PM

[quote] Gay men want to go back to the mid-century and be a part of it. Instead of arrested, shunned and put in institutions.

Are these the only two options?

by Anonymousreply 152January 25, 2020 2:38 PM

Clock in? You mean you have to punch a time card?

by Anonymousreply 153January 25, 2020 2:56 PM

I've said this before-- DLEGs share a lot of similarities with immigrant communities.

Some immigrants embrace the US, learn to speak fluent English, adopt American cultural mores and customs. They are thrilled when their children are more American than they are and appear to be fully assimilated. These immigrants tend to be happier and more successful.

Others resist, clinging to old country ways, only learning enough English to get by, complaining about how much better things were back in the Old Country, gnashing their teeth and rending their garments as their kids seem more American than immigrant and abandon many of the old customs. They are frequently unhappy in their lives and their relationships.

by Anonymousreply 154January 25, 2020 3:02 PM

You all can kiss my entire ass, because I see R142's photo and I want EVERYTHING in it! LOL

by Anonymousreply 155January 25, 2020 3:05 PM

I'm R142, over 50, and actually do have a space in an antique collective. My house is full of art, antiques, and mid-century bar-ware and decor. I integrate my finds into my home and sell them when I am ready. And, yes, I have more stuff than I can fit in my store space. Also, I love to be around my fellow vendors (and DLers) who share the collecting addiction. We always have so much to talk about!

However, no one I know collects or sells caftans or tiaras.

by Anonymousreply 156January 25, 2020 3:15 PM

I think that someone should host a potluck, "come dressed- as- your -mother and flatware swap" party. I'll trade my Wedgewood for your Waterford. We could bring casseroles and use our gravy boats and shrimp forks. I've been waiting a quarter century to use my Wallace, baroque salad set.

by Anonymousreply 157January 25, 2020 3:45 PM

[R156] Are you on the MCM Facebook group? It’s fun to see other people’s finds and houses. My own house looks a bit like walking into a time warp. I am no purist though, I have antiques from all eras. I use my grandparents silver and linens for parties and it’s so much work! There’s ironing and starching and polishing. But I enjoy the fantasy of being in an elegant world, where troubles can be temporarily forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 158January 25, 2020 3:58 PM

Antiques are definitely an elder thing. Gen X and younger gays aren't into antiques, it's all about modern.

by Anonymousreply 159January 25, 2020 4:00 PM

R153, I work from home, and I'm an hourly worker (not salary). So, yes, I have to punch an electronic time card, and clock in and out for lunch, and clock out at the end of the day after working at least 8 hours. I'm not highly educated (as has been pointed out). I do own my own home, though.

by Anonymousreply 160January 25, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote]R154 Others resist, clinging to old country ways

Old country HOUSE ways, bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161January 25, 2020 5:55 PM

^^ That looks like my gramma's house.

by Anonymousreply 162January 25, 2020 6:20 PM

[italic]Stick it, [/italic] r162!

by Anonymousreply 163January 25, 2020 6:41 PM

Look, I understand why lots of you are sick of us old gays. I have an appointment to replace my whole shoulder on the 11th. In the meantime, I have to live on ramen, and have my brother and boyfriend tell me I'm an asshole. My whole left arm is just hanging there, and I've been to the hospital to ask for help. Getting in and out of bed to go to the bathroom to keep from pissing myself if is a huge effort. Just typing is hard. Please look out for the old people you know.

by Anonymousreply 164January 25, 2020 8:12 PM

R62, thank you for the suggestion about using my Mom's crystal, china, and what not. I do use it. Not everyday, and since I live alone I usually just wash everything by hand anyway. As I wrote above, all this stuff reminds me of the times it was used...Christmases, Easters, Thanksgivings, parties, and what not. It's the fact that now both of my parents are now gone. When my Dad died, I had moved back in with my parents and my Mom and I helped each other through our grief. I'm a professor, and my Mom was high school teacher. I often have a course that meets at night. It was great coming home late at night, going up to her bedroom if she were still awake, and talking over what had gone well with a class and what had not with her...

I don't want to turn this thread from what it's meant to be, so here's something anyone under 50 will not know. Do you young whippersnappers know what those brass-plated, wedding invitation imprinted trays are for? Or how to set a table for a dinner party?

by Anonymousreply 165January 25, 2020 8:13 PM

[quote] In the meantime, I have to live on ramen, and have my brother and [bold]boyfriend[/bold] tell me I'm an asshole.

Huh? Abusive relationship or are you being dramatic?

by Anonymousreply 166January 25, 2020 8:18 PM

I hope neither. It was actually broken on the 7th. I texted my brother and my BF back then for help. My brother came down, and insisted he help me into bed. I didn't ask for him to take me to the hospital until last Wednesday when the Xray showed the whole top of the humerus was broken off. The truth is, I'm a very stupid guy. My brother has a bad temper, but my boyfriend is a social worker, with the patience of a saint. He's pissed off with me, but it's been a really long time. If he has a recommendation, I;ll do it, since its been nearly 40 years. BTW, I can only use my right hand right now, so if my spelling or gramaar suck, please just let it go.

by Anonymousreply 167January 25, 2020 8:41 PM

R142 R156

I'd totally buy stuff from your stall!

Y'got any Shiny Brite ornaments?

by Anonymousreply 168January 25, 2020 9:49 PM

What about Charlie’s Angels dolls??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169January 25, 2020 11:25 PM

Do you live on ramen because you are poor or because you can't move to make food? If you have a boyfriend for 40 years, who is a social worker, why isn't he helping you physically and if necessary, financially, at this moment. Good luck my friend.

by Anonymousreply 170January 26, 2020 12:19 AM

R158, No, I'm not part of the MCM Facebook group. I hadn't heard of it until you posted. I checked it out and will bookmark the page but will wait to join because I don't sell online. Everyone seems to be into different ways of selling.

R168 I have sold Shiny Bright ornaments and cool vintage Christmas ornaments and decor are things I always search for. I've scored some cool vintage Santas from the 1950s and they sell like hot cakes. I label them "Creepy Santa $90 bucks." They sell fast. There's nothing like a creepy Santa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 26, 2020 1:54 AM

I am the glass curio cabinet, full of figurine dolls, including a whole row of vintage disney ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172January 26, 2020 6:35 PM

I'm the guy in my mid-to-late 30s, who came of age as the catastrophe of AIDS was abating. And in gratitude and love, I wish I could hug and thank all of you who lived through those dark, terrible days. I see you, knowing that not only you endured those horrors but also somehow found the will to carry on afterwards. You deserve to decorate your houses with all the trinkets that bring you joy - they are testaments to lives that persisted. You deserve to have them all.

More life.

by Anonymousreply 173January 27, 2020 4:54 PM

I’m the stupid cunty OP, born in 1988, who realizes in 2028 what a fucking asshole he was in 2020, for posting this, because now he’s about to be 40. Oh FUCK. His life is OVER.

And PS you little fucker, I have health insurance, a paid for apartment, and three and a half million in the bank. And boys your age wonder why I don't want to fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 174January 28, 2020 3:12 AM

I hope I don't turn into a bitter loser like r174 when I'm one of the olds.

by Anonymousreply 175January 28, 2020 3:15 AM

I'm not bitter r175, I just have perspective. Wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 176January 28, 2020 3:40 AM

I'm the collector edition Barbies in their lighted display case - Cher in Bob Mackie, Judy Garland as Dorothy, I Love Lucy, Scarlett O'Hara. Sometimes I take them out and have a little tea party with "the girls," but nobody else is allowed to touch them.

by Anonymousreply 177January 28, 2020 4:10 AM

R177 I'm the small collection of Barbie Happy Meal toys from McDonalds, we have one shelf in the grand Barbie display case devoted to us!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178January 28, 2020 5:44 AM

r174 I was born in 1994

by Anonymousreply 179January 28, 2020 5:49 AM

No, R174/176, you are bitter.

by Anonymousreply 180January 28, 2020 6:42 AM

said the lemon to the lime.

by Anonymousreply 181January 28, 2020 10:22 AM

I am this, tucked away in a corner of the walk-in closet behind one of Mother’s best Sunday hats.

My owner is certain I’m going to skyrocket in value one day and pay for his retirement.

Alas, he’s wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182January 28, 2020 11:26 AM

R174, are you a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 183January 28, 2020 11:27 AM

[quote]I have health insurance, a paid for apartment, and three and a half million in the bank.

Why of course you do! Everyone on DL is a millionaire!

by Anonymousreply 184January 30, 2020 6:08 AM

I’m the saliva smell lingering in the air after Stanley sneezes into her flabby inner elbow.

by Anonymousreply 185January 30, 2020 6:13 AM

R184, she also drives a BMW.

by Anonymousreply 186January 30, 2020 6:35 PM

No, I'm not bitter, r180. Like I said upthread, I have perspective. It's so boring to hear guys talk like being over 50 is so horrible. It's not. It's great. Especially in 2020, for a 55 year old man, who is standing on the shoulders of men who paved the way for all of us. So, maybe you're not into older men. Fine. I, at my age am not into guys your age. And most of the boys hitting me up on Grindr want me to fuck them and call me daddy. I am so not into that. And when I politely tell them, I'm not into guys their age, they ALL respond with something like, "Oh but I don't care. Age is just a number." I don't give a shit. I don't want to fuck you,

There are some funny posts here, and I have a sense of humor about my age. OP and some of the other posters here are the ones who seem bitter. Oh and, OP, so you were born in 1988, but 1994. So, you're 26. Six years difference. Perhaps you were simply stating a fact. But you make my point brilliantly. Now go read something about the gay men who are 30 years older than you are.

by Anonymousreply 187February 4, 2020 3:34 AM

^ *weren't born in 1998, but 1994.

by Anonymousreply 188February 4, 2020 3:45 AM

Or better yet, OP, meet and talk to an older man. You might learn something and find there's a lot to appreciate.

by Anonymousreply 189February 4, 2020 3:48 AM

I am none of these things, you guys don't know the difference between 50 and 75 it seems.

by Anonymousreply 190February 4, 2020 3:58 AM

R187, I am older than you, have fewer millions, but also have less anger, take less offense when someone young wants to fuck me (and know how to dispatch the occasional daddy seeker without ruffling feathers, his or mine.) My perspective tells me it's foolish to demand the generations younger than me study their elders, their preceding generations of gays, or to spend much of my time in expecting/demanding respect because I am older and someone else is younger. I know that many of the shoulders you and I and others stand upon won things less from their study of history than from bold action, or maybe small, repeated acts of visibility and insistence on being part of society, or whatever the nature of their contributions.

Like you I like my age. I know that my age is my golden age, and that fortunate, smart people the world over see whatever age they are as such, as they should. I guess I just am not so quick to call younger people "little fuckers", "stupid cunty OP" (for starting a thread you claim to enjoy, in part), and "fucking assholes" for not making kowtowing to my age or their gay ancestors their first priority. So we have each perspective, different perspectives and different fuses it seems.

by Anonymousreply 191February 4, 2020 7:28 AM

R191, FANTASTIC post, friend.

Truly excellent!

by Anonymousreply 192February 4, 2020 12:50 PM

Yes, r191, great post. Touche'. And I agree with everything you say. My original post at r174 does seem rude, and yes, my fuse is short. But I stand be everything I wrote there. And in my subsequent posts. I hardly expect people in their 20's & 30's to kowtow to me or anyone older than they are. Maybe I'll start a response thread to this one, 'Let's be the Home of Typical Millennial UNDER 35 DL Poster', and see what comes up.

by Anonymousreply 193February 4, 2020 2:14 PM

[quote]Maybe I'll start a response thread to this one, 'Let's be the Home of Typical Millennial UNDER 35 DL Poster', and see what comes up.

Someone already started one. It died. People tired quickly of typing "my parents' basement."

by Anonymousreply 194February 4, 2020 2:46 PM

[quote] Let's be the Home of Typical Millennial UNDER 35 DL Poster',

They don’t have their own stuff.

by Anonymousreply 195February 4, 2020 7:24 PM

r187 Part of the reason I started this thread is because I have a neighbor who's about 70 who I've talked to a lot. I've been in his apartment a few times and I thought it was funny how a lot of the things said about older gay men on DL are true of him, too; like wearing caftans and listening to old Barbara Streisand and Judy Garland albums. I admit I think it's funny, but I don't feel bitter about it.

Also my neighbor is a very cool guy and I've learned a lot about gay history from him, and he's not nearly as self-righteous about bein an older gay man as you are.

by Anonymousreply 196February 4, 2020 7:33 PM

r193 I started one a few weeks ago!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197February 4, 2020 7:35 PM

Cheers, R193. It's not so much that I disagreed with you on specific points, it was only that, well, it's Datalounge, and it's a thread meant to have a laugh (or worse) at the expense of people my age and your age and older, a thread certain to trot out a bunch of old DL tropes. You know what the thread will be before reading it; it's only in the particular details that there's room for any real surprise. I found it arch and funny and sometimes cruel and sometimes insightful and sometimes stupidly wrong, just like most any good DL thread. There was nothing to make me wince but I did have a few laughs (and a bonus laugh for every mention of "mother" in a reverential tone.)

by Anonymousreply 198February 4, 2020 10:01 PM

Good, OP. I'm glad to hear you explain the origin of the post. And as for my being self-righteous, okay.

by Anonymousreply 199February 4, 2020 10:04 PM

Okay, now could you both just STFU?

by Anonymousreply 200February 4, 2020 10:21 PM

OP, I inherited a stack of pristine Brenda Lee records from an EG neighbor. I hope I can pass them on to someone deserving. Maybe someone can start an EG museum in Palm Springs. Think of the possibilities for interactive exhibits!

by Anonymousreply 201February 4, 2020 10:47 PM

[quote] Think of the possibilities for interactive exhibits!

Who’s manning the gloryhole?

by Anonymousreply 202February 5, 2020 11:46 AM

The historic hall of gloryholes from 1800-2000. VIP nighttime tours available during our winter gala fundraiser event.

by Anonymousreply 203February 5, 2020 2:30 PM

But R201, Palm Springs is ALREADY an EG museum.

by Anonymousreply 204February 6, 2020 3:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!