Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the most egregiously bad sequel you've seen?

I tend to go easy on most of them, even the ones people hate on most—for example, I love "Grease 2" and "The Exorcist II"—but there are a few I've seen that are outrageously bad. Rob Zombie's "Halloween II" is among the top of my list. It's unforgivable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 16, 2020 3:19 PM

Basic Instinct 2, though there is some camp fun to be had.

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2019 8:04 AM

Godfather the 2. Although I fucking loathed the first one so surprise I also hate spewed over the second one

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2019 8:05 AM

Men in Black 2. The first was delightful.

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2019 8:14 AM

Op Grease 2 and Exorcist 2 are beauts, you are right

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2019 8:23 AM

Cloverfield: Paradox - Not only was it a shitty movie but it had absolutely nothing to do with the original movie. I have no idea why they (Netflix?) would call it that other than to trick people into watching it because they knew it was garbage that no one would be interested in otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2019 8:40 AM

Not the worst but as a kid I was devastated by Poltergeist II. I loved the first one so much and was so excited when I found out they were making a sequel. Saw it opening week and it was just a huge disappointment. The creepy preacher was good but that's about it. And JoBeth Williams' perm was awful.

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2019 9:57 AM

Blair Witch 2 was atrocious

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2019 10:05 AM

I did not like The Beatles' Second Album nearly as much as Meet the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 8August 27, 2019 10:07 AM

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Still fun, but terrible compared to the first.

by Anonymousreply 9August 27, 2019 10:13 AM

Critters 2 lacked the might and majesty of the first one.

by Anonymousreply 10August 27, 2019 10:21 AM

Sequels can be third, fourth+ installments, right? If so, Jaws 3/3D is the dumbest piece of shit ever produced. Except for the Dennis Quaid shirtless/wet suit scenes.

by Anonymousreply 11August 27, 2019 1:17 PM

Weekend at Bernie's 2

by Anonymousreply 12August 27, 2019 1:28 PM

Return To Sleepaway Camp

It isn't like the others are high art but at least they are fun to watch. Every single character in this one is so obnoxious and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 13August 27, 2019 1:48 PM

R6 JoBeth was perfection. That scene when she feels

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 27, 2019 1:59 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 27, 2019 1:59 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 27, 2019 1:59 PM

Powertool 2 Breaking out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 27, 2019 2:09 PM

The sequel to Get Shorty, still had John Travolta and Rene Russo but was hugely disappointing after GS which is one of the greatest films of that decade.

by Anonymousreply 18August 27, 2019 2:11 PM

Beyond the Poseidon Adventure. Sally Field and Michael Caine claim salvage rights over the wreck and in their attempt to salvage they find the ship's nurse, Shirley Jones with a group of passengers and from then on it's pretty much The Poseidon Adventure all over again, attempting to get another group of passengers to safety.

by Anonymousreply 19August 27, 2019 2:16 PM

I win!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 27, 2019 2:31 PM

Exorcist 2 is the BEST bad film of all time.

Personally, I cannot look away.

And the set/production design/photography is STUNNING.

And MY GOD, Linda Blair is HORRIBLE. Just horrible.

But I love the film.

by Anonymousreply 21August 27, 2019 2:38 PM

It doesn't get much worse than The Godfather 3.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 27, 2019 2:42 PM

Halloween: Season of the Witch. Had nothing to do with the first 2.

by Anonymousreply 23August 27, 2019 2:45 PM

I so agree, R21.

I first saw it on cable a couple of decades ago & then saw it a second time on DVD and was impressed by how stunning it looked (and how wonderfully bizarre the score was.)

I would love to see this on the big screen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 27, 2019 2:53 PM

Mean Girls 2

I'll Always Know What You Did That Summer

Silent Hill 2

by Anonymousreply 25August 27, 2019 3:46 PM

American Psycho II. Okay, never saw it. Just guessing but I don't think anybody ever saw it.

by Anonymousreply 26August 27, 2019 3:48 PM

Shock Treatment

by Anonymousreply 27August 27, 2019 3:59 PM

Miss Congeniality 2. Everyone involved in that turgid, cliched, lifeless piece of crap should be charged with crimes against humanity.

by Anonymousreply 28August 27, 2019 4:12 PM

Return to Sleepaway Camp really is awful. I don't know what they were thinking with that one. The first three aren't great art, but they're so much fun.

Sex and the City 2 is about as dire as you can get. None of the characters behaved like themselves. It felt like bad frau fan fic.

This will be controversial, but I loathed the new Halloween from earlier this year. It seemed like they did so many things right - the mask and Michael's build finally looked like the original, the music score was great, Jamie Lee Curtis was back, but it felt like a warmed over version of H20 without the pathos of that movie. There was never any doubt that Laurie would prevail. She seemed tough as nails from frame one, whereas H20 gave her a little more to do and more layers to play. It seems to be that, if you're going to cancel out 40 years worth of sequels, you better have a really great idea and the filmmakers of this movie didn't.

by Anonymousreply 29August 27, 2019 4:22 PM

I can't believe nobody has yet mentioned Independence Day 2. It was honestly one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen and completely unnecessary. Also, there is no way a spaceship that big that literally sits on top of the planet and can be seen poking thru the atmosphere would not have just ripped the planet apart. Total waste of two hours

by Anonymousreply 30August 27, 2019 4:22 PM

Dirty Dancing - Havana Nights

by Anonymousreply 31August 27, 2019 4:27 PM

I actually love Blair Witch 2--it has such a weird, oppressive atmosphere, and they tried to do something related but different. It wasn't like they could repeat the found footage format of the original. American Psycho II is awful, but Mila Kunis is funny in it and it has camp appeal.

by Anonymousreply 32August 27, 2019 6:35 PM

The Hills Have Eyes 2—both the original sequel and the remake's sequel.

by Anonymousreply 33August 27, 2019 6:40 PM

Rob Zombie's "Halloween 2" sucked, as for that matter, did his "Halloween." That actress who played Laurie was awful, especially the scene when she is in the car reading the book and discovers she is Michael's sister.

by Anonymousreply 34August 27, 2019 6:46 PM

R27 I LOVE Shock Treatment!

Another vote for SATC2. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 35August 27, 2019 6:53 PM

R13 Agreed. There was nothing redeeming about that steaming pile of a movie at all. And to think fans of the series waited 5 years after it was filmed to finally see it. Probably a big clue that a complete and utter shit.

by Anonymousreply 36August 27, 2019 6:56 PM

George W Bush’s re-election.

by Anonymousreply 37August 27, 2019 7:04 PM

Escape from L.A.

by Anonymousreply 38August 27, 2019 7:11 PM

Stayin’ Alive

by Anonymousreply 39August 27, 2019 7:13 PM

Hannibal was a huge letdown after seeing Silence of the Lambs 10 years before.

Love Legally Blonde, but hated Legally Blonde 2.

by Anonymousreply 40August 27, 2019 7:28 PM

Look What's Happened to Rosemary's Baby. What a pile of shite that was.

by Anonymousreply 41August 28, 2019 4:07 AM

Any of the Matrix sequels

by Anonymousreply 42August 28, 2019 4:43 AM

Agree with a lot of these. r40 is right Legally Blonde 2 was shit. Reese Witherspoon phoning it in and the premise was dumb. Sally Field looked embarrassed.

The Nutty Professor 2 is my choice. Horrible film. The only thing I liked was the Janet Jackson song Doesn't Really Matter which was the theme song for the film.

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo is a terrible film but entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 43August 28, 2019 4:50 AM

Weirdly enough, I've also seen Rob Zombie's "Halloween II." In terms of story and acting it was absolutely awful, but it had some gorgeous cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 44August 28, 2019 4:58 AM

I remember there were a ton of "who in the world asked for this?!" sequels in the 80s.

Airplane II

Caddyshack II

The Sting 2

Arthur 2: On The Rocks

Cocoon: The Return

Short Circuit 2

Mannequin 2: On The Move

Weekend At Bernie's 2

(The last 2 were in the 90s but still...)

by Anonymousreply 45August 28, 2019 5:29 AM

If ever a film did not need a sequel, it was Weekend at Bernie's.

by Anonymousreply 46August 28, 2019 5:32 AM

Probably Exorcist II, since it made no sense at all, and Linda Blair as now (for one memorable scene) a sexy satanic temptress was too disturbing for words.

by Anonymousreply 47August 28, 2019 5:33 AM

Grease 2 was awful but worth it for Adrian Zmed's and Maxwell Caulfield's bodies, and (most of all) The Pink Ladies' Pledge. Even though the latter just takes a few seconds of screen time, the world is a much richer place for it.

by Anonymousreply 48August 28, 2019 5:37 AM

Speed II. /shudders

by Anonymousreply 49August 28, 2019 5:55 AM

Making Speed II about a runaway boat was a stroke of perverse genius.

They needed to make Speed III, and have it be about a runaway blimp.

by Anonymousreply 50August 28, 2019 5:59 AM

Highlander 2. My god.

by Anonymousreply 51August 28, 2019 6:13 AM

Au revoir encore une fois, mes enfants

by Anonymousreply 52August 28, 2019 6:16 AM

[Quote] Mannequin 2: On The Move

[Quote] Stayin’ Alive

I love both of those movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 28, 2019 11:55 AM

Another "who asked for a sequel" sequel: Hot Tub Time Machine 2

by Anonymousreply 54August 28, 2019 12:19 PM

I watched X-Men Dark Phoenix last night. Wow, what a mess. I don't understand how you fuck up that classic X-Men story twice and also have essentially a lot of the same plot devices that didn't work in The Last Stand. The story made no sense, Jessica Chastain is brilliant but was wasted here. The rest of the cast really phoned it in as well. Hopefully Marvel can do better...

by Anonymousreply 55September 2, 2019 4:57 PM

Legally blonde 2 !!!!

I like to pretend it doesn't exist😌

by Anonymousreply 56September 2, 2019 5:06 PM

Airplane 2: The Sequel

by Anonymousreply 57September 2, 2019 5:09 PM

LOL, I agree with R11. Jaws 3D was absolutely a giant turd. My brother and I were kids in the 1970s and he loves Jaws. We went to see the movie together. When the obvious shark puppet thing breaks through the glass, my brother and I burst out laughing, as did others in the theater. It's too bad it was such an awful movie because it had a decent case--Dennis Quaid, Bess Armstrong, Louis Gossett Jr., Simon MacCorkindale, Lea Thompson. Somehow they made it a big mess.

I agree with a bunch of the other sequels listed above. I was particularly disheartened by Legally Blonde 2. The first is one of my favorite comedies. Sad that its legacy was tarnished by such an awful sequel. I've heard that Reese was contractually obligated to do it but was shocked at how terrible the plot was. No doubt that's why she phoned it in.

by Anonymousreply 58September 2, 2019 5:34 PM

SATC2 was a two hour long hate crime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2019 5:43 PM

R47, the scene between "sexy" Linda Blair and Richard Burton was supposed to be much more graphic but she declined to do it. Can you imagine the horror!?!?!? The most confounding part of the movie is that John Boorman had directed two classics (Deliverance and Point Blank) before this. The fact that the movie is so bad is shocking. Anyways, this is the best part of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2019 6:06 PM

Linda Blair was also like 17 at the time. The fact Boorman wanted her to fuck Burton is disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 61September 2, 2019 6:07 PM

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 2, 2019 6:10 PM

The only thing more disturbing than Burton and Blair together? Blair's tapdancing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 2, 2019 6:12 PM

R17 is that a pre plastic surgery Talon on the cover?

by Anonymousreply 64September 2, 2019 6:12 PM

F & F THE REDUNDANT THREAD COPYCAT.

These movies have been overdiscussed 97 times on Datalounge; it's just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 65September 2, 2019 7:12 PM

[quote] And JoBeth Williams' perm was awful.

Why I love DL.

by Anonymousreply 66September 2, 2019 7:19 PM

Simon MacCorkindale was a hot stud of man meat.

by Anonymousreply 67September 2, 2019 7:25 PM

Back to the future , the first one stinks too. Matrix 2, money grabbing letdown

by Anonymousreply 68September 2, 2019 7:31 PM

Back to the Future 2 has interesting concepts but it lacks the joy and charm of the first one. There's something very cynical and joyless about it that I've never been able to enjoy it.

I used to hate Ghostbusters 2 but it's much better than I remember, but it really is just a cut-and-paste job of the first one save for Dana (Sigourney Weaver) not being possessed.

1989 was a big year for sequels. Lethal Weapon II was another one, it's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 69September 2, 2019 7:51 PM

R50 it could have been Barbara Cook trapped in her wheelchair on a malfunctioning turntable going round at super high speed in that show she never did with Tommy Tune

by Anonymousreply 70September 3, 2019 3:28 AM

The Two Jakes. You just don't attempt a sequel to the greatest movie of all time. Massive fail.

by Anonymousreply 71September 3, 2019 3:35 AM

Grease 2 was worth while, if only for my performance.

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2019 4:14 AM

The Jewel of the Nile (sequel to Romancing the Stone): it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2019 6:03 PM

R73 Jewel was not so bad I actually enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2019 6:56 PM

I don't mind Jewel but I prefer the first. I was watching Stone the other day and I didn't know it was directed by Zemeckis.

by Anonymousreply 75September 7, 2019 2:27 AM

I used to love Jewel as a child and the Billy Ocean song was a strong selling point for the movie but watching it now, it doesn't have the same charm or humour as the first film. I absolutely adore Romancing the Stone. I wish they made more romantic adventure films like that nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 76September 7, 2019 3:27 AM

R76 sorry, only Superheroes, Disney reboots and shitty Horror movies allowed now.

by Anonymousreply 77September 7, 2019 6:00 AM

House II was a letdown. They replaced that deep v neck sweater for generic preppy boat shoes.

by Anonymousreply 78September 7, 2019 6:34 AM

R48, Zmed's body is stunning if this purported head shot (with wife #1) really shows what he looked like before Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 23, 2019 1:01 PM

It's not the worst sequel I have ever seen but it is clearly inferior to the original. The first Fright Night is a classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2019 1:13 PM

Interesting that OP and others single out Rob Zombie’s Halloween films. It appears they are quite divisive. Some see them as pointless, brutal slasher flicks and others (like the list makers at Slant), place them in their top 10 lists for the 21st century.

Personally, I disliked Zombie’s first Halloween, but found his sequel to be well shot and effective.

To each, his own.

By the way, If you click the link to the original Slant review in the list, you’ll see they had quite a different impression at the time of the film’s release.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 23, 2019 1:25 PM

Most of the later Hellraiser sequels. That series goes off the rails quick. After the 2nd one they just get progressively worse each movie.

by Anonymousreply 82September 23, 2019 1:36 PM

The OP forgot he started this thread already. So we have to remind him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 22, 2019 7:08 PM

Halloween 2 is on tv now, its sooooo bad, glad to see its on this shit list

rob zombie makes yet another turdy flick.

by Anonymousreply 84May 11, 2020 1:24 PM

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II was one of my favorites growing up. I used to watch the VHS often. It’s campy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 85May 11, 2020 1:47 PM

Rob Zombie didn’t want to do Halloween 2. He was talked into it and resented it, so he punished the whole audience. It’s a spiteful movie. He completely disrespected the character of Laurie and turned her into a trashy proxy of him with her metal shirts and endless cursing. It’s just a piece of shit that has nothing in common with the original film and a bait and switch for him to play with pretentious imagery and make some money for him and his talentless wife.

by Anonymousreply 86May 11, 2020 1:49 PM

I love Rob Zombie's Halloween II. It is visually stunning and I felt the depiction of the broken shell of a person Laurie was after the 1st one seemed very realistic. With the first one, I felt like he was bound to the rules of the original because it was a remake. But since the second one was a sequel to a remake and not an actual remake, he could do whatever he wanted. He truly made it his own and it felt unlike anything else I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 87May 11, 2020 1:51 PM

talked into it????

b.s. he turned in a bad product even tho he thought it was 'oh so good'

by Anonymousreply 88May 11, 2020 1:51 PM

I loved I Know What You Did Last Summer. Kevin Williamson was a great writer, and after how well Scream 2 turned out, I was psyched for I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. He didn’t write it, but there was still an expectation of quality in hip teen slasher movies of the time.

I went to go see it the first showing I could after school on the day it came out. I was crushed. It was such a complete piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 89May 11, 2020 1:52 PM

R83 are you fucking retarded? The thread you linked was started four months after this one.

by Anonymousreply 90May 11, 2020 1:54 PM

Op, do you know HOW MANY times I had to fuckin' watch "Funny Lady"? And I still got left at the altar.

by Anonymousreply 91May 11, 2020 1:57 PM

Superman 4: Quest for Peace or whatever. At least S3 was bonkers weird; 4 was just embarrassingly cheap.

by Anonymousreply 92May 11, 2020 2:03 PM

Highlander 2 wins the gold medal for me. It's the first time I can recall the third movie in a series just pretending the second one didn't exist!

R5, the Cloverfield sequels started as completely separate movies with no connection to the first, then Bad Robot bought them for distribution and tacked on a few elements so they could slap the Cloverfield name on them.

by Anonymousreply 93May 11, 2020 2:06 PM

The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1984) AND The Hills Have Eyes 2 (2007)

Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous

Halloween: Resurrection

Candyman III: Day of the Dead

3 From Hell (sequel to Devil's Rejects)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Blues Brothers 2000

Queen of the Damned

King Kong Lives

Kick Ass 2

Star Trek Into Darkness

Spectre

by Anonymousreply 94May 11, 2020 2:23 PM

I watched The Crow: Salvation for the first time a few weeks back. I remember when it came out and there was a big theatrical push with a soundtrack — which is actually great — and right when it was about the premiere, the wide release was cancelled and it showed in one theater for a week. I can see why they didn’t want to risk it — Eric Mabius is VERY miscast as The Crow — but I actually enjoyed the movie.

For years, I heard The Crow: City of Angels was dreadful so I ignored it. But since I liked Salvation, I decided to give it a shot.

WOOF.

That is a movie that is as dreadful as it’s reputation. It looks great, but it’s an enormous drop in quality coming right after the original. And Vincent Perez is hammy and awful as The Crow. It’s no wonder his American career tanked after it. It’s definitely one of the worst movies of the 90’s.

I’m going to try The Crow: Wicked Prayer with Eddie Furlong soon. I’m not expecting much.

by Anonymousreply 95May 11, 2020 2:39 PM

R95 I thought The Crow: Salvation was an ok movie. The sequel with Furlong was the worst movie in the series.

by Anonymousreply 96May 11, 2020 8:41 PM

Jaws IV: The Revenge is unbelievably bad. My favorite part is when they fly from Amity down to the Bahamas and the shark is already there waiting for them. That sure was one fast, smart shark. You'd think he would have won.

by Anonymousreply 97May 12, 2020 1:00 AM

Yes R97, but Lance Guest is very hot in it

by Anonymousreply 98May 12, 2020 6:50 AM

"Sharknado 5: the global swarming" was very disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 99May 12, 2020 7:04 AM

The French Connection II probably isn't the worst sequel ever. It was directed by Frankenheimer and still has Hackman and Fernando Rey. However, it was so bad I gave up about 20 minutes in. Popeye Doyle was the ugliest American ever in Marseille, and there wasn't enough action to keep me from thinking about what a lousy cop he was.

by Anonymousreply 100May 12, 2020 7:05 AM

Superman 3 and Superman 4. Both are absolutely dreadful.

Silent Hill: Revelations. Completely different tone, full of retcons, plot holes and inconsistencies with the first film. Not to mention they replaced the super talented Jodelle Ferland as Sharon DaSilva with super wooden Adelaide Clemens.

Halloween: Resurrection. H20 had the perfect ending to the series with Laurie decapitating Michael to end his reign of terror once and for all. Then they had to do that stupid fucking retcon where he switched clothes with the paramedic and crushed his larynx so he couldn't talk and that was who she actually killed. Like a guy who's completely mute, had his eye gouged out with a wire hanger and has been burned in an explosion can slip away just by changing his clothes and not attract attention.

by Anonymousreply 101May 12, 2020 7:10 AM

I know some people love it, but Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was a hideous piece of shit. Raiders had been so amazing and Doom turned everything that was good into a tasteless, excessive wreck. Kate Capshaw and that kid. Ugh. Everything was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 102May 12, 2020 7:46 AM

R102 Hideous piece of shit or not, there's no way in Hell Temple of Doom was worse than Crystal Skull. Terrible CGI and Shia LaBeouf (among many other things). Almost killed the damn franchise. Batman and Robin all over again.

by Anonymousreply 103May 12, 2020 7:56 AM

Kick Ass 2 was awful.

Le gally Blonde 2 was wretched.

Sex and City 2 was a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 104May 12, 2020 8:16 AM

I think Temple of Doom was a much better-written and produced movie than Crystal Skull (and it had shirtless Harrison Ford at peak hotness!), but none of the mediocrity and ridiculousness in the latter was nearly as irritating as Willie and Short Round. In fact, I'm drawing a blank of character in ANY movie that could make that claim.

by Anonymousreply 105May 13, 2020 2:16 AM

^ True, Harrison was at peak hotness. But that kid...and screeching Kate Capshaw. Especially right after Karen Allen in Raiders who was so cool and tough and played an actual character. There were sparks between Marion and Indy. Kate was unwatchable at every moment. The whole film felt forced. Crusade was spotty, but at least it had Sean Connery. Crystal Skull was a mess but Karen Allen which gave some authenticity and Cate Blanchett made for a good villain.

by Anonymousreply 106May 13, 2020 2:26 AM

[quote]Airplane 2: The Sequel

I totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 107May 14, 2020 4:59 AM

Beyond the Poseidon Adventure should have been at least campy fun with Sally Field, Michael Caine, and Telly Savalas fighting over who gets the last bite of the scenery like it's their last meal, but it's just boring.

And they should have known the audience wanted another 'some vessel turns upside down' scene somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 14, 2020 5:17 AM

"Iron Man 2" is the worst MCU film.

by Anonymousreply 109May 14, 2020 5:27 AM

R103, Crystal Skull is pretty bad, but it isn’t even the worst sequel to an eighties movie starring Shia LaBoeuf.

(And the whole long-delayed sequels to eighties movies starring Shia LaBoeuf was the weirdest mini-trend in movies, at least until last year, when there were two movies where people of South Asian descent are obsessed with Boomer music.)

by Anonymousreply 110May 14, 2020 5:48 AM

"Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" were both unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 111May 14, 2020 5:49 AM

I disagree. While I'd never argue that "Batman and Robin" was good, it was immensely entertaining. More or less a superhero version of Xanadu.

by Anonymousreply 112May 14, 2020 5:56 AM

^ Yup, Batman and Robin is AWFUL. But actually kinda fun. Arnold with silver face paint and a chrome body suit saying lines like "Ice to see you!" is a hoot. And I love Uma Thurman in anything. It's the worst but also the campiest.

by Anonymousreply 113May 14, 2020 6:00 AM

So I'm watching Beyond Poseidon right now (nothing else to do) and I can't believe they cast Sally Field in the female role cuz the character is supposed to be this scrappy bar fighter that stopped Karl Malden from being rolled and decides to hop a ride on their tugboat for shits and gigles and out walks Sally wearing a tasteful beige pantsuit ensemble that what look right at home in the typing pool.

Her backstory surely would be more interesting then robbing the purser's office on a capsized liner.

by Anonymousreply 114May 14, 2020 6:39 AM

I actually love Batman Forever and Batman and Robin the better than Batman and Batman returns.

But I love all four.

I prefer my Batman campy rather than dark and pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 115May 14, 2020 6:43 AM

Personally I love Temple of Doom. Kate Capshaw was horrible and she was obviously only there for eye candy and for her plot to fuck and steal Spielberg but I don't mind Ke Huy Quan as Shorty. The film has some really great set pieces and as others have stated, Harrison at his hottest.

The French Connection II is actually a very strong sequel r100. It's not as good as the first but damn, Gene Hackman was amazing. The withdrawal scenes are so powerful. But then again, Hackman always elevated material even if the script was iffy.

by Anonymousreply 116May 14, 2020 7:00 AM

I hated Ghostbusters 2, it was a cynical, cash-grabbing rehash. I even wrote a comment to the NY Daily News about it, and they published it...!

by Anonymousreply 117May 14, 2020 7:09 AM

So still watching Beyond P (took a little break) and it's a comedy! Sally Field cracking one liners, Slim Pickens playing drunk to the hilt.....why would they make it a comedy?

Now waiting for Shirley Knight to show up in the pseudo Shelley Winters role.

by Anonymousreply 118May 14, 2020 9:22 AM

I remember hating the Gremlins sequel, but apparently it's now a CULT CLASSIC

maybe I should give it another whirl since it's been thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 119May 14, 2020 9:24 AM

I'm speechless. I'm without speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 14, 2020 11:02 AM

So watching Beyond P and the whole cast Sally Field, Slim Pickens, Shirley Jones, Peter Boyle are in an upside down corridor moving mangled furniture out of the way when suddenly a door opens and Ms. Shirley Knight opens a door and says "Oh hello" like she's in an episode of The Love Boat scaring the living shit out of everybody.

She and her blind husband (Jack Warden) are dressed to the nines and hanging out in their upside down cabin when apparently noise from the corridor's shenanigans grabbed their attention!

This movie is batshit cray cray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121May 14, 2020 11:40 AM

I fell down the Stella Stevens rabbit hole awhile back and decided to watch all of the BAD films she did in the 80s 90s (it took all weekend) and I can officially declare that The Terror Within II is worse than The Terror Within only because I didn't watch The Terror Within because Stella wasn't in it.

(Her son starred in the first, and wrote, directed, and starred in the second)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 14, 2020 12:15 PM

At least the first four Batman movies all have some colorful camp value. The Dark Knight series, while much better, is just so damn dreary and "serious".

by Anonymousreply 123May 14, 2020 6:37 PM

Grease 2 is literally the worst movie ever made

by Anonymousreply 124May 14, 2020 6:46 PM

The Sandlot 2 a direct to video sequel was quite awful. There was another Sandlot sequel called The Sandlot:Heading Home which wasn't all that bad.

by Anonymousreply 125May 14, 2020 7:38 PM

Yes, Batman and Robin is a stupid movie, but I’ve always suspected that homophobia played a big part in why it’s so hated. Batman vs. Superman is way worse. The main thing everyone talks about when they rag on Batman and Robin is the nipples on the bat suit. Get over it. Whether or not it’s verbalized, fanboys hated the homoerotic subtext and the fact that it was directed by an openly gay man.

by Anonymousreply 126May 14, 2020 8:14 PM

Not even close, R124.

by Anonymousreply 127May 14, 2020 8:14 PM

The songs in Grease 2 is catchy as hell, and “Back to School” is a worthy bop, way better than “Grease (is the word)” as an opening number.

by Anonymousreply 128May 14, 2020 8:19 PM

Jurrassic Park II (T-Rex loose in San Diego, eye roll) and Jurrassic World: Fallen Kingdom (auction off dinos saved from a volcano eruption on Isla Nublar).

by Anonymousreply 129May 14, 2020 8:26 PM

Fallen Kingdom was embarrassing, but The Lost World might be worse just because it was so fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 130May 14, 2020 8:32 PM

R119, how old were you when you see it? A lot of people who love it were kids at the time and really responded to the emphasis on slapstick. I love the movie but I don’t know if I’m able to be objective because of ‘memberberries.

by Anonymousreply 131May 14, 2020 8:54 PM

^ I was 25.

Probably too old to appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 132May 14, 2020 8:56 PM

Weekend at Bernies II sounds so bad I kind of want to watch it.

[quote] Meanwhile, in the Virgin Islands, a voodoo queen named Mobu (Novella Nelson) is hired by mobsters to find the $2 million Bernie stole. She sends two servants—Henry (Steve James) and Charles (Tom Wright)—to go to New York, get Bernie's body, use a voodoo ceremony to reanimate him, and bring him back to her so he can lead her to the money. Their attempts to bring Bernie back are plagued by accidents. They prepare in a bathroom at a sleazy porno theater for the voodoo ceremony, but having lost the sacrificial chicken, they use a pigeon instead. This limits Bernie's ability to walk toward the hidden money: he only moves when he hears music. At the 42nd Street–Grand Central subway station, Henry and Charles soon abandon him to chase a man who stole their boombox.

by Anonymousreply 133May 14, 2020 10:47 PM

Gremlins 2 is a classic. John Glover sending up Trump and Ted Turner was brilliant and ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 134May 14, 2020 10:53 PM

I've tried watching Legally Blonde 2 and can never get through it. Why did they even bother?

by Anonymousreply 135May 14, 2020 11:04 PM

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned it, but Halloween III:Season of the Witch wins this hands down. Michael Myers and that storyline are not part of this movie.

Hurry up it’s Halloween!

Halloween! Halloween!

Hurry up it’s Halloween!

Silver Shamrock!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136May 14, 2020 11:11 PM

[quote]Gremlins 2 is a classic. John Glover sending up Trump and Ted Turner was brilliant and ahead of its time.

I loved John Glover in that movie. He's an underrated actor.

by Anonymousreply 137May 14, 2020 11:26 PM

r2. Godfather 2 is one of the greatest films ever made. It is also one of the rare sequels that can be watched without having seen the first and is equally good as the first. Never comment again as you have no taste or significant thought provoking point of view.

by Anonymousreply 138May 14, 2020 11:29 PM

One guess, R135

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 15, 2020 12:29 AM

Halloween III is actually a good horror film r136. I don't really consider it a true Halloween sequel because it's not part of the Michael Myers series which all of the Halloween films save for III were part of. Carpenter and Debra Hill tried to steer away from MM but audiences weren't interested.

Over the years, Halloween III has been deservedly reassessed and become a cult film. I love the atmosphere, the fantastic score and I love the idea of trick or treating becoming a true danger (Not because of strangers giving out candy).

by Anonymousreply 140May 15, 2020 12:41 AM

I’m with you r140. Halloween 3 is underrated and genuinely creepy.

No mention of Gremlins 2 is complete without the Key & Peele sketch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 15, 2020 12:46 AM

R141/R142

Well....maybe you’re right. My partner and I make it a point to watch it every year.

by Anonymousreply 142May 15, 2020 2:30 AM

R28 You beat me to it. One of the worst films I have ever seen. It really doesn’t even deserve to be called a movie.

by Anonymousreply 143May 15, 2020 2:36 AM

The Descent 2.

An absolute desecration on one of the best horror movies of the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 144May 15, 2020 3:00 AM

I had to turn off Showgirls 2: Penny’s From Heaven because it started to ruin Showgirls for me.

by Anonymousreply 145May 15, 2020 1:19 PM

Sequels which are basically remakes or alternate versions of the original film. The sequel to the remake of Fright Night and Howling IV: The Original Nightmare come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 146May 16, 2020 3:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!