Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Christian Slater

Christian Slater was born fifty years ago today on August 18, 1969.

"We don't speak on a regular basis, but I love her. I've never gotten over the crush I had on her then. She is still the woman of my dreams." - on Winona Ryder

"I've gotten to know myself over the years, I realized I'm kind of a sweet, sensitive guy, a shy guy, and communication is not something I'm so good at."

"I was a shy, quiet kid. I was happiest playing by myself with my toys, rather than hanging around people."

"I thought I'd get over being insecure if I became famous, but it hasn't happened. It just gets worse, really. You get more and more on edge, more nervous. These are all the things I'm dealing with. You think if you get famous, fear will go away and problems will go away. But they don't."

"I have that glass-half-empty syndrome, and it takes a great deal of effort to climb out of the hole of darkness that I choose to live in mentally."

"Eighty-five per cent of the time, people want to talk about True Romance. That's the film I've made that really seems to have stuck with people."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 4, 2020 4:15 AM

I’m his age

I had a SUPER crush on him. I find him a good actor still.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2019 3:18 AM

was his character on Interview with the Vampire gay?

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2019 3:19 AM

That’s an old picture.

He’s a right winger.

I hate his voice. It’s very hard to not see the actor in his every role since his voice and face are so distinctive.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2019 3:33 AM

Christian and Drew

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2019 3:35 AM

I didn't give two shits about him until watching him on Mr Robot and then playing gay in King Cobra. I got a new appreciation of him after those roles.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2019 3:39 AM

50?? no fucking way he is at least 55.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2019 3:45 AM

I found him amusing when he would guest co-host on the today show.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2019 3:50 AM

R6, nope, he's fifty, just like me.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2019 3:59 AM

When was he a right Winger?

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2019 1:09 PM

Did he ever get over the need to imitate Jack Nicholson?

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2019 2:28 PM

He was super popular when he started to make movies and was being touted as the new Jack Nicholson - but when the smoke cleared he was seen as just another B Actor and his once promising career started to fall apart.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2019 2:30 PM

Christian Slater in the popular movie Heathers when he was becoming all the rage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2019 2:35 PM

I never understood how he was able to do that nude scene in Name Of The Rose when he was underage. I guess it was another era.

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2019 2:35 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2019 2:52 PM

He dated Christy Turlington during her peak supermodel days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2019 3:00 PM

Botox

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2019 4:44 AM

Fuck HEathers for popularizing the blowing up a school and shooting the people and all that.

He was hot when he was younger but now he looks so fucking old like Jack Nicholson.

He got fuckin OLd. Old is a State of mind!

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2019 4:51 AM

It was funny when he was on Conan rambling about jumping a parachute and landing in cindy crawfords speedboat.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2019 4:53 AM

He... doesn't look like this anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2019 4:55 AM

He.... looks like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2019 4:55 AM

I'd still hook up with Jack Nicholson over him.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2019 4:58 AM

Here's a Hollywood Reporter story describing Slater as the "former chair of the Florida Republican Party."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2019 5:03 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2019 5:12 AM

At one time, he was the epitomy of young white guy coolness.

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2020 4:37 PM

I liked when he was a bleached blonde in Legend of Billy Jean.

Watching him now in the new Betty Broderick series.

by Anonymousreply 25June 24, 2020 4:40 PM

R4 Jesus what was Drew thinking with that awful hair color? Drew still can't style herself to save her life.

by Anonymousreply 26June 24, 2020 4:44 PM

"I've gotten to know myself over the years, I realized I'm kind of a sweet, sensitive guy, a shy guy"

RED FLAG

by Anonymousreply 27June 24, 2020 4:46 PM

Does he still hit on young studs when he's drunk?

by Anonymousreply 28June 24, 2020 4:46 PM

I love him, but now that I know he's a Republicunt, I don't like her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 29June 24, 2020 4:50 PM

[quote]At one time, he was the epitomy of young white guy coolness.

Oh, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 30June 24, 2020 5:26 PM

Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 24, 2020 5:33 PM

Gap model in 2002!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 24, 2020 5:37 PM

Love him and kind of forgot about him. Sorry C.

by Anonymousreply 33June 24, 2020 5:38 PM

[quote]Slater was born in New York City in 1969, the son of Michael Hawkins (born Thomas Knight Slater), an actor also known as Michael Gainsborough, and Mary Jo Slater (née Lawton), an acting agent turned casting executive and producer. He has a maternal half-brother, Ryan Slater, who also became an actor. His great-uncle was radio personality Bill Slater.

Without his connections, particularly his mother, this clown would have NO career to speak of. A very limited talent who lucked out early on.

I'm not at all surprised to hear of his Repug leanings, like so many other products of extreme privilege who talk of "individual achievement."

by Anonymousreply 34June 24, 2020 5:39 PM

How did that pervy director get away with showing his underage bare ass in Name of the Rose?

by Anonymousreply 35June 24, 2020 5:42 PM

^There was also a brief shot of his peen shown in that film ad well.

by Anonymousreply 36June 24, 2020 5:45 PM

[quote]"I've gotten to know myself over the years, I realized I'm kind of a sweet, sensitive guy, a shy guy"

Not to mention humble!

by Anonymousreply 37June 24, 2020 5:54 PM

[quote]Without his connections, particularly his mother, this clown would have NO career to speak of. A very limited talent who lucked out early on.

True. His mother was a big casting agent back in the day, very well-known in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 38June 24, 2020 6:02 PM

So no casting couch necessary for Mr. Slater then?

by Anonymousreply 39June 24, 2020 6:04 PM

Yeah, he needs to stop with the botox.

Otherwise, he's holding up nicely enough.

by Anonymousreply 40June 24, 2020 6:07 PM

Always a good actor and I loved “Pump up the volume”.

by Anonymousreply 41June 24, 2020 6:12 PM

I always thought Christy Turlington was slumming with Christian Slater when she could have had any guy, but then she ends up with the very average, boring Guy Ritchie-esque Ed Burns.

by Anonymousreply 42June 24, 2020 6:54 PM

I don't know about the Republican connection, but I do know he voted for Obama in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2020 9:51 AM

Hes like a piece of buttered toast that fell on the floor butter side down.

by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2020 10:04 AM

They didn't identify Slater as the former chair of the Florida Republican Party.. The HR was explaining why the waits were so long and quoted a former chair of the Florida Republican Party and gave a link that doesn't work. No mention of Slater's affiliation at all. He's not a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2020 10:07 AM

R28 I love that DL story, it’s one my favourite of the classics. WHET to that twink he was buying drinks and groping at that beach house?

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2020 10:07 AM

My five-year old self was in love with Will Scarlett in PRINCE OF THIEVES. In love.

Slates is one of my problematic biases. My childhood self has a soft spot for his silly affectations and earnest underacting, though of course my adult self disdains him for throwing women around and acting like an embarrassing closet case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2020 10:10 AM

R40 He does look pretty good for his age. He needs to get himself a decent shaver though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2020 10:13 AM

In more candid shots (during live interviews or when not edited for film), he’s got pretty out mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2020 11:34 AM

R2 the main text of INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE concerns mortality grief and the collapse of the family structure, more than the homoerotic plot everyone bangs on about that was at the most tertiary (especially in the book).

There is undeniably a subtle gay subtext, thought, particularly in the case of Lestat (Cruise’s character) & Daniel Molloy (Slater’s character). Lestat could have chosen anyone for a protégé and a life partner, man or woman; he chose Louis (Brad Pitt’s character), the most beautiful man he could find in all of the country and one who also happened to be grieving a beautiful dead wife and their child (I.e., not actively seeking heterosexual love or family, as he is mourning one already lost). Lestat is shown several time to have demonstrably sexual or romantic feelings toward Louis, trying constantly to draw him in to seductions and peccadilloes and at the same anxious to make the younger vampire happy.

Of course, this is an unrequited and thwarted gay relationship, culminating in wastage and a miserable lonely old age for Lestat. In the final scene of the film, after Louis refuses to turn a depressed and possibly sexually-conflicted Daniel into a vampire, a withered and ill but still desirous Lestat who has been stalking their meetings gladly steps in to do the honours instead (and it’s a very gay scene indeed). Our closing minutes show two men locked in a rapturous embrace flying the sky, connecting in an intimate visceral way (Lestat bites him, and it looks like a savage kiss on the neck).

Bear in mind too that, originally, Slater’s role as Daniel was intended to go to first choice River Phoenix (who sadly died before shooting began), an actor well-beloved by the gay community for his commitment to a role in Gus Van Sant’s MY OWN PRIVATE IDAHO and now thought to be bisexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2020 12:50 PM

I used to beat off all the time to his nude scene in The Name of the Rose. The movie was a bore but he was in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2020 12:59 PM

Was he related to Helen Slater? WHET her?

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2020 1:03 PM

No relation to Helen.

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2020 1:11 PM

I'm his age and yes, he was the GenX crush we all had

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2020 1:17 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2020 1:19 PM

R54 me too, I'm a little older but not by much

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2020 1:52 PM

His scenes in KING COBRA - even the sexual ones - were all just miserable, cold, and a little bit heart-breaking. It's a hard film to watch.

The moment with the face-mask makes me think of Datalounge, every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2020 2:54 PM

Apparently Christian was in mind of Mama Rose while he played his role in KING COBRA. Would a straight man do that?

[quote] An unexpected reference point was in the actor’s head while on the set. “Always in the back of my mind, there was Gypsy,” Slater says of the 1959 musical about a striptease artist Gypsy Rose Lee and her show business mother, immortalized by Ethel Merman’s performance in the lead role and her famous rendition of the production’s most well-known tune, Everything’s Coming Up Roses. “My mother was a huge fan of Ethel Merman and that musical especially — and so I kept that as an underlying theme in my head,” Slater says. “And it slipped out a couple of times. I just found out that there’s an outtake now where I did a full-on Ethel Merman impression.” “We had to swap it out,” director Kelly adds, “because the song rights were out of our reach.” “Maybe it’ll be on the bonus reel,” Slater says. “That was full-on improv. It was during a take that wasn’t really meant to be used, but when we were doing one of the driving scenes, Garrett and I were just goofing around in the car. And I had that song somewhere, easily accessible, in my brain. And really, I felt like Mama Rose and he felt like Gypsy Rose Lee. And I was excited and he was my star. So I was just like, oh well, “You’ll be swell, you’ll be great! Gonna have the whole world on a plate!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2020 2:58 PM

I’m his age and never understood why he was considered so hot. He did some interesting work but kind of always played the same character. Hence the Nicholson comparisons.

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2020 3:20 PM

Strange that after he finished filming "The Name of the Rose" - he would accept a 4 episode day player part on "All My Children"

He has some homoerotic scenes with Peter Bergman as they have to "hold" one another as Christian's character is getting sicker and sicker

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2020 3:24 PM

[quote]Helen Slater...what happened to her?

I just created a thread about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2020 4:54 PM

[quote]Strange that after he finished filming "The Name of the Rose" - he would accept a 4 episode day player part on "All My Children"

I believe that his mother, famed casting director Mary Jo Slater, used to cast for AMC. She probably helped him land the gig.

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2020 5:01 PM

R49 examples?

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote]Here's a Hollywood Reporter story describing Slater as the "former chair of the Florida Republican Party."

Jeez, R22, you have a problem reading for content. The story quotes the former chair when talking about the Repugs decreasing the advance voting period to suppress votes, it doesn't at all say Slater was the former chair.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2020 5:15 PM

[quote]Strange that after he finished filming "The Name of the Rose" - he would accept a 4 episode day player part on "All My Children"

He was an actor and needed the job. What, he's supposed to sit around hoping another movie was coming?

by Anonymousreply 65December 3, 2020 10:07 AM

His mother did the casting on AMC.

by Anonymousreply 66December 3, 2020 10:19 AM

If my memory serves he did date someone Asian for over 10 years....you know what that means on DL!

by Anonymousreply 67December 3, 2020 10:21 AM

He was very sexy back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 68December 3, 2020 10:33 AM

meh...

by Anonymousreply 69December 3, 2020 10:56 AM

[quote]His mother did the casting on AMC.

Exactly but R60 was saying he was slumming already after making just one movie.

by Anonymousreply 70December 3, 2020 11:08 AM

His character on AMC was alleged to have a cyst on the lung, but the way it was handled implied it was pleurisy. I didn’t get that.

Anyone else notice Slater delivers all his lines the same way in everything, and always uses the same accent and verbal tics? He always tacks “uh?” on the end of his sentences. Does anyone else speak like that? It’s not a typical NYC accent.

by Anonymousreply 71December 3, 2020 11:25 AM

R67 I don’t know what you mean by that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 3, 2020 11:27 AM

Christian Slater is from Manhattan and grew up affluent. So he doesn't have an NYC accent which is traditionally working class or first- to second-generation immigrant thing. He speaks in an overly stylized way probably to make himself stick out. He said to have been influenced by Jack Nicholson.

by Anonymousreply 73December 3, 2020 11:30 AM

I was just going to say that he does his best Nicholson in every role, which he did to most notable effect in Heathers.

by Anonymousreply 74December 3, 2020 5:03 PM

Christian's mother (Mary Jo Slater) was the casting director for One Life To Live

At the time Christian was on All My Children, the casting director was Joan D'Incecco

by Anonymousreply 75December 3, 2020 5:09 PM

He is not a Republican and never was.

by Anonymousreply 76December 3, 2020 5:42 PM

James Franco acted on General Hospital as a regular character 2009-2012 years after he was well-known and had a successful film career.

by Anonymousreply 77December 3, 2020 6:08 PM

who. r77?

by Anonymousreply 78December 3, 2020 6:12 PM

^^It may be winter outside, but it's now a hundred degrees in the shade where R77 is standing...

by Anonymousreply 79December 3, 2020 6:47 PM

R79 what?

by Anonymousreply 80December 3, 2020 7:27 PM

I remember he dated Tamara Mellon for a while. They likely had some habits in common.

by Anonymousreply 81December 4, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote]James Franco

He used to be a DL fave.... oh James, you big dumbass. : (

by Anonymousreply 82December 4, 2020 4:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!