Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m melancholy. Sick of people (yet I have a need to be surrounded by people)

I keep thinking of selling it all and living off the $2 mil I’d have.

Friends I confide in tell me to get a fucking hobby.

I’m 48. I now live in a penthouse, but I could easily live in a 1 bedroom anywhere safe. I like nice things. Have them. But I could be Linda Hamilton in the last scene of Terminator — headed to Mexico in her Jeep.

I’ve had the same job, in a high position, for 15 years. Same relationship for 20. Same apartment for 11 years.

I travel a lot. I have a good group of friends, but I’m growing bored with them, too.

I’ve seen a therapist. He just told me I’m a narcissist who has ADD. No longer seeing him.

I want to just up and do something so spontaneous. But I also don’t want to ruin a great life. Yet I’m bored.

Anyone else feel this way?

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2019 4:07 AM

Also worth noting: I’m also depressed about how the world is right now. I’m over it.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2019 3:38 PM

Please. let this be fiction.

by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2019 3:46 PM

If you begin your post with how much money you have I'm inclined to nod at the "narcissist" label.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2019 3:46 PM

Ruth?! Is that you? Are you sure the $2M is spot on?

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2019 3:49 PM

You sound like me a few years ago OP. I quit my job and have been traveling around Europe for the past three years. But I wasn't in a relationship. I'm also feeling a bit down with current events. I just saw what R2 wrote. To R2: Yes, I can attest that having "everything" may not be fulfilling to some people.

You don't want to ruin a great life? From what you've written it doesn't sound so great. I suppose from outside appearances it would.

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2019 3:49 PM

[quote]Sick of people (yet I have a need to be surrounded by people)

Lol...interesting paradox.

Do you meditate? It’s interesting to watch our minds when we still our mental self-talk.

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2019 3:52 PM

Ugh... you sound exhausting OP

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2019 3:55 PM

OP = Tedious Narcissist

You're a dime a dozen.

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2019 3:57 PM

Do you still have the shrinks number?

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2019 3:58 PM

Honestly, if I had you in front of me right now I'd kick you in the cunt

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2019 4:01 PM

Nice humblebrag, ya tedious twat

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2019 4:03 PM

I bet other people are sick of you, too.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2019 4:07 PM

Humble Brag Whine

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2019 4:08 PM

Don't worry OP. Your partner is sicker of you than you are of yourself. He's storing up information, like this DL post, so when you jump (or are pushed) from your penthouse balcony he has cover. Has he recently asked you about your will/estate plan? If so the countdown is on.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2019 4:12 PM

God you guys are truly judgmental.

OP here.

I’m a nice guy. Generous. Friendly.

But I’m bored. I am.

And I’m explaining how my mind is vacillating between just being selfish and doing what I want now vs thinking of the consequences of what I *can* do if I want.

So, I was wondering if I’m crazy and super entitled and just stfu and enjoy what I have OR if others feel like me and continue to experience this melancholy and just wanting to quit and de stress somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2019 4:21 PM

Get a fucking hobby.

by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2019 4:24 PM

OP, narcissism in incurable.

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2019 4:25 PM

OP, your post @15 changes everything. Now, instead of wanting to kink you once, I'd like to kick you twice in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2019 4:26 PM

OP, I can relate. I have the best job of my life which allows me to travel and work from anywhere, really. Own two homes. Travel multiple times per year for pleasure. But feel a little bit empty.

I'm 51. I think we're just having a midlife thing. "What does it all mean?" and all that rot.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2019 4:27 PM

I did it at 48. Never been happier. But cut spending dramatically. Really live like you are not making money anymore. It’s not easy to worry about money again and to pay attention to each dollar. But it was the best decision I made because I realized the capitalist treadmill is not a life. It it depends on person. Never been a materialist and am very happy not doing anything.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2019 4:33 PM

I did it at 48. Never been happier. But cut spending dramatically. Really live like you are not making money anymore. It’s not easy to worry about money again and to pay attention to each dollar. But it was the best decision I made because I realized the capitalist treadmill is not a life. It it depends on person. Never been a materialist and am very happy not doing anything.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2019 4:33 PM

It’s all called ADHD now (with different subtypes), so you were probably right to get rid of a therapist who used an out-of-date term to describe the condition. If you really do have ADHD, it’s probably a bad decision to give up a routine that is working, at least somewhat, for you. Look for a new job. For now, live as if you’re making nothing — you’ll save more while assessing whether you can really handle a cheaper lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2019 4:35 PM

Which is more important to you: money or time?

The answer to that question is the answer to your question.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2019 4:37 PM

^ no idea how this ended up posting here. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2019 4:37 PM

You’re a mess, r22 / r24.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2019 4:40 PM

Volunteer to foster the Darfur orphan.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2019 4:41 PM

Give away all your money and follow Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2019 4:54 PM

But you're having sex with your best friend's husband in a different EST, I mean post, OP.

How's that working out?

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2019 4:56 PM

R28 for the win.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2019 5:01 PM

We always want things that make us sick.

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2019 5:06 PM

OP, I felt the same way living in the LA rat race- spending a fortune on stuff, parties etc. Yes, I did lots of cool things. But when I had the opportunity to move an hour south to the beach, I jumped at it and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2019 5:13 PM

R28, for realz??? Is this the same asshole? I’ll check. What a dick.

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2019 10:22 PM

Great Scot. It is it Scott? It IS the same dude.

by Anonymousreply 33August 3, 2019 10:25 PM

So what? I’m going through some things and like anonymous advice?

by Anonymousreply 34August 3, 2019 10:45 PM

OP, it's called: Life.

What were you expecting: Two tickets to paradise?

by Anonymousreply 35August 3, 2019 10:48 PM

OP, GTFOH. You leave out of this thread that you are ravaged with guilt over your affair with your BFF’s husband and that you’re about to leave your LT marriage and move in with your lover?!?!!!!? Bitch PLEASE. Shall I keep going??? You’re totally busted. You’re an embarrassment to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 36August 3, 2019 10:50 PM

I'm cutting down on socialization. Not sure if it's a good idea but I can't stand most people. Chit chatting with people I have little in common with is getting more tiresome every day.

by Anonymousreply 37August 3, 2019 11:59 PM

I'm so happy folks come to the DL to expose the sordid details of the collapse of their once happy lives.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2019 12:19 AM

OP’s other thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2019 12:30 AM

If OP Is a narcissist there is no hope.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2019 12:47 AM

In general, people are a disappointment, aren't they OP.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2019 12:51 AM

OP Yikes, Blimey, Sheesh, and all that... and no, Jeebus Chrysler can't save you either. Get straight back with the shrink, and possibly consider you are on the spectrum, as autistics often suffer ADHD, lack of empathy, narcissism, and unfulfillment. Asperger's???? or Troll?

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2019 12:53 AM

[quote]I’ve seen a therapist. He just told me I’m a narcissist who has ADD. No longer seeing him

Yes the best thing you should do when a professional you paid to help is ignore their opinion if you don't like it. Money wisely spent I see. Or maybe yo u were looking for a shrink who would only tell you how great you are and the rest of the world sucks.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2019 1:00 AM

The Tower card crosses you and your significator is the King of Swords. There is cataclysmic change in your future. Cutting, loss of abilities and prestige. A deep blow to your sense of power and dignity. Great loss of independence. Cancer in the lower abdomen. Painful, incurable. A long and significant fight. You will have support but not from those most close to you now. The final outcome is the World card. Your life has been spent in ego gratification and superficial pleasures. This boredom you feel is a spiritual and seismic message, like a buzzing fly. But now is not the time for flight. You'll need your resources. Your life is almost complete, you have finished the journey you chose. You won't stop yourself from some last acts of selfishness, but you won't escape the pain. Your life will end in 22 months.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2019 1:03 AM

OP. 20 years ago I was in the same rut in NYC. I had a great apartment and a sexy British boyfriend. From the outside people thought my life was terrific, but I was miserable with my job (international banking). Not having a plan I self sabotaged and lost the boyfriend and luckily for me the bank I worked for closed its NYC office and I got a nice severance package.

I used it to go to law school and now I do immigration law and live a very simple life. SO much happier...I really am.

Also, having more money than most in law school (Chicago) I was able to travel during every break and enjoy the 3 years off from the "real world" , and actually had a blast.

I do ok now, but not super well off as the banking career would have been for me. Fulfilling work outweighs everything I find.

I wish you well.

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2019 1:14 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2019 1:23 AM

Cheers R44

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2019 1:25 AM

R45 makes a good point, if your work is unfulfilling and boring then your life is unfulfilling and boring. Whatever it is you always wanted to do, start doing that as a hobby and see if you really want to change your life.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2019 1:38 AM

Yeah sell the apartment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2019 1:57 AM

You have a meaningless "Real Housewives" life. It's pathetic and vulgar. Cash out and retrain to do something useful. Be an EMT or a nurse. Do what r45 did. At least, you feel bad about the fact that your life is a complete, shallow waste so you're not beyond salvation. Good luck finding something meaningful to do with your life. I hope you have the courage.

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2019 2:15 AM

Try taking an interest in someone other than yourself. Yes, you may be bored, but what you're bored of is yourself. A sense of gratitude can be developed by making a difference in the lives of others, mainly those less fortunate.

Nothing else will work. You'll see.

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2019 2:21 AM

OP, you sound like an emotional vampire.

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2019 2:22 AM

There is no joy in nursing, well a brief flicker every now and then. Paperwork and bitter fraus.

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2019 2:46 AM

My sister is a nurse. She's my hero.

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2019 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!