Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“The Lion King” (2019) was Visually Stunning but Emotionless and Vapid

I can see this raking in the technical Oscars next year, that’s how amazing the CGI and visuals are in this film. Some of the shots and scenery are breathtaking, and the animals are made to look very real! This is the best CGI I have ever seen! The film also can be quite atmospheric, which I like. Also, JAMES EARL JONES. The nostalgia of hearing him!!! Ahhhh.

However, the film lacks any true emotion! It remakes the original almost scene for scene, but lacks the emotion the original had as well as the power and fun. This one feels “too quiet” at times, and making the animals look 100% real means there is little room to add emotions to their faces, so, you hear them speaking but don’t see too much expression on their faces.

A lot of the voice acting is fantastic, all minus whoever voices child Simba and Beyonce. My goodness, I never thought someone could be SO BAD at just lending their voice. Whoever voiced child Simba sounded nothing like what he looked. Maybe I am just too used to Jonathan Taylor Thomas voice, but this person wasn’t as good.

As for Beyonce, she was awful all around and her voice doesn’t go with young lioness Nala. Her look and Beyoncé’s voice do not match. Her voice should be small and thin, not rich and low and “mom” like. Don’t get me started on the awful line “Lions, ATTACK!” Declared by her during the final battle. I cringed so hard.

The final battle felt rushed and was weak. It could have been epic, but it wasn’t. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2019 10:02 AM

WE KNOW.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2019 2:07 AM

Beyoncé took me out of the film. I kept hearing “Beyoncé” the whole time. Voice didn’t match Nala

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2019 8:58 AM

OP It is 40 minutes longer than the original, so hardly shot for shot

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2019 9:10 AM

R3 it’s shot for shot with 30 minutes added scenes.

The original is 1 hour 28 minutes. This one is 1 hour 58 minutes.

And I feel that hurt the movie overall. The film feels very SLOW at points.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2019 9:13 AM

[quote] OP It is 40 minutes longer than the original, so hardly shot for shot

Thank you Mr Spielberg.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2019 9:47 AM

R5 More likely Mr Van Saint

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2019 9:51 AM

^ Sant

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2019 10:02 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!