Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘We Are The World’ Singers Didn’t Like Michael Jackson Tune

Billy Joel revealed in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone that he wasn’t a fan of Michael Jackson’s 1985 charity hit, ‘We Are The World’, even though the all-star track features Joel singing along with Bruce Springsteen, Lionel Richie, Tina Turner and others. “I remember most of us who were there didn’t like the song, but nobody would say so,” Joel admitted. “I think Cyndi Lauper leaned over to me and said, ‘It sounds like a Pepsi commercial.’ And I didn’t disagree.” Joel added that just as Jacko was “constantly applying makeup.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465July 23, 2019 7:33 PM

It is no worse than Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas." I have always found that song extremely patronizing.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2019 12:52 AM

So what's the point of bringing that up now? If you didn't like it, don't participate.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2019 12:53 AM

Prince declined to take part in this. He knew a piece of shit when he heard it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2019 12:54 AM

I remember reading that Jackson was freaked out by Bruce Springsteen. Bruce was in a leather jacket and was exuding a lot of that masculine blue collar stuff he identified with, and Jackson was rattled by it for whatever reason. He spoke to Bruce only when minimum necessary and used his softest whisper. He hid behind a stack of equipment to hide from Bruce, he really only wanted to talk to Diana Ross.

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2019 12:59 AM

It’s a shitty fucking song.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2019 1:00 AM

Times being what they were though, we had almost all the Jacksons represented, with Latoya prominently in the front and Lindsey Buckingham lodged into the rear next to some guys from The News and Dan Akroyd. I’m so glad Stevie decided to record “Separate Lives” with Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin instead of being in that schmaltzy “We Are The World” mess. Her and Prince were too cool for Michael Jackson’s childishness.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2019 1:02 AM

"It sound's like a Pepsi commercial"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2019 1:07 AM

First, the song sucked.

Second, the money raised never helped who it was intended for.

And third, the only interesting thing (to me) is seeing all the people involved who are now dead or completely irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2019 1:11 AM

I sincerely love the song. I listen to it often and try to mimic each voice, much to my neighbors' shitgrin.

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2019 1:20 AM

Kim Carnes!!

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2019 1:36 AM

Broadway liked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2019 1:38 AM

Springsteen was so fucking hot back then.

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2019 1:45 AM

Michael Jackson was probably intimidated by Bruce Springsteen's obvious, earthy masculinity. Bruce was really a piece back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2019 2:23 AM

Awkward Bob

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 11, 2019 2:34 AM

[quote]Bruce was really a piece back in the day.

I’d fuck him then and I’d fuck him now. I wonder if he’s ever had his ass eaten. It would be so sad if he hasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 15July 11, 2019 2:35 AM

[quote] "Do They Know It's Christmas."

Ooh! Ooh! Call on me! I can answer that one!

NO.

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2019 2:41 AM

OP, this is hardly "upcoming." The article - you know, the one where you didn't include a link - is from January of this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2019 2:43 AM

Do you think a young Madame X, fresh off the success of the Like a Virgin album, was miffed she wasn’t invited and Cyndi Lauper was?

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2019 2:45 AM

It really is a sappy and saccharine song that didn’t age well at all.

by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2019 2:45 AM

I think Dylan probably rues the day that he did this piece of junk. Why did he do it? Maybe his agent told him it would make him look good. At any rate, he looks like he's thinking "what the fuck am I doing here?"

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2019 2:46 AM

Why was Dionne Warwick allowed in the studio?

by Anonymousreply 21July 11, 2019 2:47 AM

Do They Know It's Christmas ain't no masterpiece either, but something about it makes me a little nostalgic when I hear it at the holidays. Mostly because so many of the artists I loved at the time, especially Boy George, were a part of it.

(I much preferred the British music scene to the American one in the 80s.)

by Anonymousreply 22July 11, 2019 2:48 AM

Why waschn't I aschked to partischipate?

by Anonymousreply 23July 11, 2019 2:49 AM

The contrast of all the different voices was always the most interesting thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2019 2:49 AM

Do they know it's Christmas had more of a modern sound. We are the World was just stupid - we are the children - Of COURSE Michael has to thrown in a children reference.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2019 2:51 AM

R21, they needed her so that they could open up beer bottles with her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2019 2:54 AM

R21 So she could smell tomorrow with those nostrils.

by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2019 3:03 AM

Why was Dan Akroyd invited?

by Anonymousreply 28July 11, 2019 3:05 AM

Why did Kim Carnes only get "when we" as her solo. Bette Davis Eyes was #1 for 9 weeks. They couldn't give her a full sentence like everyone else? Huey and Cyndi with her noisy bracelets totally steal her thunder.

by Anonymousreply 29July 11, 2019 3:06 AM

Given who was involved in it, it's surprisingly the shittiest one of the charity singles performed during the Band Aid live concert. Not only "Do They Know..." but Canadian and German songs (the ones I can still sort of remember) were better than this schmaltzy piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 30July 11, 2019 3:09 AM

[quote]Why was Dan Akroyd invited?

To keep Dionne Warwick in line.

by Anonymousreply 31July 11, 2019 3:10 AM

Huey and Cyndi both had huge recent hit albums. Kim Carnes hadn't had a big hit in four years and never really thrived in the MTV era.

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2019 3:14 AM

Explain Al Jerrau then R32

by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2019 3:17 AM

I can't even remember Jarreau...did he have a big part? I mean, I liked Kim Carnes but she was probably lucky to be invited at that point. Her career wasn't exactly on the upswing.

by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2019 3:20 AM

The bigger question is why was Bette Midler invited? She was at a real low in her career and hadn't had a hit song since The Rose. This was also before her film career had taken off again. I even remember people asking who she was at the time. It explains why she was regulated to the choir and not given a solo.

by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2019 3:25 AM

Midler, who said that appearing on "We Are the World" (which celebrates its 30th anniversary this year) was a "fascinating" experience, also turned out to be sort of a humbling one for the star. The singer/actress said that while she was originally put next to fellow icon Bruce Springsteen, once Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones showed up, she was moved near the arguably less iconic LaToya Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2019 3:26 AM

It's terrible as a song, watchable as a time capsule, but overall awful. Like Elton's Diana tribute, its cringe-worthy, almost embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2019 3:26 AM

You want cringe worthy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2019 3:29 AM

[quote]Why was Dan Akroyd invited?

He wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2019 3:39 AM

Well, there's always this. Again with Miss Warwick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 11, 2019 3:41 AM

keep it.

by Anonymousreply 41July 11, 2019 3:48 AM

Journey frontman Steve Perry (amazing five octave range) owned 'We Are The World.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2019 3:52 AM

[quote]Explain Al Jerrau then

Moonlighting?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2019 4:11 AM

Really, Retard JABBA/ R18?

Janet wasn’t there.

LA TOYA WAS.

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2019 4:17 AM

Dylan got to sing about a minute of the song.

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2019 4:19 AM

Female rocker Pat Benatar was invited to sing on the song but couldn't make it so she donated money to the cause instead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2019 4:23 AM

R52, Steve Perry never had a 5-octave vocal range. Don't be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2019 4:28 AM

Here you go, R47

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2019 5:00 AM

It's a complete scam that La Toya Jackson - The Pope of Pop - was not given a solo on this song. I'm sure her divo brother had her relegated into the background because he was worried she would outshine him. Her legions of #ToySoldiers would have made it an even bigger hit than it already was.

In all seriousness, it really is an incredibly saccharine and dated song, but the earworm hook has helped it live on beyond just being a fad for the era. I still hear it occasionally at the supermarket.

Has anyone see 90s Britpop group Pulp's 'Bad Cover Version' video? It was their final video, and satirises these 'celebrities for a cause coming together' charity singles. Bono, Tom Jones, Cher, George Michael, Kylie Minogue, Missy Elliott, Robbie Williams, Bjork, Kurt Cobain, Jamiroquai are some of the artists parodied. Very funny / clever idea for a video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 11, 2019 5:43 AM

Is this version better?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 11, 2019 6:38 AM

The singers in the WATW sound better than those in DTKIC.

Which is unsurprising, the Americans had Ray Charles, the British had Martin Kemp.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2019 7:09 AM

It was always a crappy song and should never have been elevated to the level it reached. It was like -- all that talent and that's the best they can come up with?

Personally, I liked DTKIC. I think it's a decent song and it certainly made a better video.

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2019 7:45 AM

[quote]I’m so glad Stevie decided to record “Separate Lives” with Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin instead of being in that schmaltzy “We Are The World” mess. Her and Prince were too cool for Michael Jackson’s childishness.

Did you just blow coke up your ass? What in the hell does Steve Nicks have to do with "Separate Lives"?

by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2019 8:44 AM

R48 Head voice, ya fucking idiot

by Anonymousreply 54July 11, 2019 8:50 AM

It's hard to write a message song without sounding preachy and full of yourself. Just ask Olivia Newton-John who pretty much did that post Physical. (and on that album too)

by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2019 9:28 AM

Hitting an A5 doesn't mean you can access five octaves vocally. It's not worth discussing with someone who knows nothing about singing. And he didn't do it in a belt, Jeez.

Tears Are Not Enough was the best song of this type. Canadian, of course.

Joni, Neil, Bryan, Lightfoot, Anne, Geddy Lee, Carole Pope, Guess Who, Corey Hart AND Miss Luba Goy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 11, 2019 10:11 AM

"Do they know it's Christmas" is a great song. Not remotely as shitty. I didn't realize the Black chick in the video was Jody Wately for a good 20 years or so? I was like..."WHO is that!"

by Anonymousreply 57July 11, 2019 10:12 AM

R5 describes most Billy Joel songs as well

by Anonymousreply 58July 11, 2019 10:14 AM

Bruce Springsteen should be embarrassed. The pitchy bitch can’t sing. Never could. I went to a No Nukes concert back in the late seventies and he was the headliner but a little band called The Heartbreakers played first. Blew the crowd away. 45 minutes of solid, kick-ass, rock and roll. I didn’t care if BS ever came on stage.

by Anonymousreply 59July 11, 2019 11:53 AM

R43, Moonlighting debuted in March of 1985. We Are The World was recorded in January.

by Anonymousreply 60July 11, 2019 12:03 PM

Imagine what Brian Wilson in his prime could have done with the arrangement of "WATW".

Although, on 2nd thought, there never was any way to rescue that dreck. "What an awful song" was my first thought when I heard it for the first time. Everybody knew that song sucked, but it was cloaked behind "charity".

by Anonymousreply 61July 11, 2019 12:18 PM

It's a horrible song.

by Anonymousreply 62July 11, 2019 12:46 PM

I liked it when it came out, it was exactly what it was supposed to be. There are far worse songs used for these kind of purposes. That being said, yes, it does sound like a Pepsi commercial, as a song pretty shitty.

Btw, Streisand was supposed to be there but was late or something and didn't make it.

by Anonymousreply 63July 11, 2019 12:51 PM

Cyndi Lauper was the only part I liked about that song. I do realize some people think she was just screeching but I always thought she was bad ass with her part. I realize after watching that mess at R38 how much I miss Luther Vandross.

by Anonymousreply 64July 11, 2019 12:52 PM

No Joan Baez? No Linda Ronstadt? No Cher? No Aretha Franklin? And no Brian WIlson?

by Anonymousreply 65July 11, 2019 12:55 PM

Madonna wanted to do it, but was turned down.

by Anonymousreply 66July 11, 2019 12:58 PM

The choice of who got to participate was heavily influenced by music manager Ken Kragen, who helped organize and put most of his clients on the song.

by Anonymousreply 67July 11, 2019 1:25 PM

At least Madonna's plastic bracelets would've have made as much noise as Cyndi's, causing them to do take after take.

by Anonymousreply 68July 11, 2019 1:31 PM

This song is still better than any of the shit on the radio these days - Señorita, Bad Guy, Me He He He, anything by Khalid.

by Anonymousreply 69July 11, 2019 1:34 PM

It's a stupid song--sappy and colorless.

It was the fact that so many celebrities sang it that made it a hit.

by Anonymousreply 70July 11, 2019 3:05 PM

[quote] "Do they know it's Christmas" is a great song

Except that line "Thank God it's them instead of you!"

by Anonymousreply 71July 11, 2019 3:06 PM

[quote]It's hard to write a message song without sounding preachy and full of yourself. Just ask Olivia Newton-John who pretty much did that post Physical. (and on that album too)

Since when did Olivia Newton-John write her own material?

by Anonymousreply 72July 11, 2019 3:21 PM

It’s a terrible song. I still listen to “Do They Know it’s Christmas.”

by Anonymousreply 73July 11, 2019 3:21 PM

I always loved the song and I don't care if it does sound like a commercial. Commercial jingles can be works of art in my opinion. Still gives me goosebumps when I listen to it.

by Anonymousreply 74July 11, 2019 3:58 PM

It is, was and will always be shiteous.

by Anonymousreply 75July 11, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote] It really is a sappy and saccharine song

I get confused when people use this as a criticism.

by Anonymousreply 76July 11, 2019 4:07 PM

"We're Sending Our Love Down the Well" (The Simpsons) featuring Sting was inspired by these charity songs.

I like "Do They Know It's Christmas" even though the lyrics make you roll your eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 11, 2019 4:09 PM

I remember them saying back in the day that they had to do several takes because Cyndi Lauper's jewelry kept "clanking" and finally she was asked to take it off.

by Anonymousreply 78July 11, 2019 4:14 PM

The Making of "We Are the World" - USA for Africa - 1985 Recording Session

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79July 11, 2019 4:18 PM

Daryl Hall was SO HOT.

by Anonymousreply 80July 11, 2019 4:20 PM

It's a shitty song, yeah. But it was fairly novel I think at the time to have so many "legends" performing together. All in all, almost all of the soloists are considered iconic with long careers that pop stars of today couldn't imagine.

by Anonymousreply 81July 11, 2019 4:21 PM

"Totally by accident. My father and I were interviewing business managers in LA and we walked into this office of a talent manager, and realized we were in the wrong place. I was looking for a money manager, not a talent manager. I had managed myself at that time and always have. But he said, so long as you are here, would you like to come and join this "We are the World" thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 11, 2019 4:25 PM

[quote]The Making of "We Are the World" - USA for Africa - 1985 Recording Session

Recording the Broadway Company album was much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 83July 11, 2019 4:26 PM

Just remembered that I had a 7th grade teacher actually devote a class to playing this & talking about it. It really was a huge deal at the time. Same with Live Aid the following summer.

by Anonymousreply 84July 11, 2019 4:43 PM

jjjjj

by Anonymousreply 85July 11, 2019 4:49 PM

Belinda Carlisle was probably the biggest singer in this 1989 Earth Love Fund single =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 11, 2019 4:52 PM

Stevie Nicks was at the recording session for “Separate Lives” but they must have changed their minds about how much of her presence they wanted on the song, because you only hear her in one spot. They must have cut the rest or did other takes but I’ve never heard them.

Marilyn Martin did vocals on Stevie’s The Wild Heart tour, and is in the video for “If Anyone Falls” and also provided vocals on Stevie’s Rock a Little album. They were thick as thieves, I’m sure she was doing her friend a favor by supporting her efforts at a solo career. At any rate, the story goes that’s why she wasn’t at WATW.

by Anonymousreply 87July 11, 2019 4:55 PM

I remember reading a story, probably circulated by Springsteen's publicists, that everyone showed up that day in a limousine except Bruce, who was in a humble taxicab.

by Anonymousreply 88July 11, 2019 5:03 PM

The thrill is still Tina Turner, anywhere anytime. I just love to look at her and watch her sing. Cyndi had a great voice back then and Springsteen had a mighty fine ass. Of course the biggest star of 1985 was a young woman named Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 89July 11, 2019 5:36 PM

R89 Has she put out anything recently?

by Anonymousreply 90July 11, 2019 5:46 PM

Yes R90. Whitney has had a hit documentary, a double greatest hits package and the very special Whitney Houston Best Live Performances Video. All huge hits. The BodyGuard's 25th Anniversary with new material and alternate tracks was also very popular. Who knows what's next for Whitney? There's been some talk of a tour. Unlike Belinda Carlisle and Cissy Houston, Whitney will never be forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 11, 2019 5:57 PM

R91 Honey, if she can belt out anything except bugs & worms, the tour will still be a strict residency.

by Anonymousreply 92July 11, 2019 6:08 PM

A blow-by-blow of the We Are the World recording session.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 11, 2019 7:24 PM

A blow-by-blow of the We Are the World recording session.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94July 11, 2019 7:24 PM

[quote] Since when did Olivia Newton-John write her own material?

She started writing her own material once the hits stopped and she was dropped from MCA. And it's all horrible.

by Anonymousreply 95July 11, 2019 7:28 PM

A lot of artists wanted to participate but were turned down. Some were hurt when they were told no like John Denver and Carly Simon. Streisand was snubbed and Madonna asked but was declined.

Good or bad, there's never been anything like it. So many huge artists together in one room, when pop culture was smaller and a star really was a star. It's been often duplicated but never topped (look at the dreadful remake). Today's culture could never grasp the impact of this or Live Aid, because these type of things have been done to death. Prior to this, the only thing like this was Woodstock.

by Anonymousreply 96July 11, 2019 7:44 PM

Remember this one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 11, 2019 7:51 PM

The lyrics "There won't be snow in Africa this Christmas" from DTKIC always bugged me. Big deal, there won't be snow in Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Bahamas either. And there is, in fact, snow in Africa, on Mount Kilimanjaro.

by Anonymousreply 98July 11, 2019 7:53 PM

It's a truly awful song, as is "Heal the World".

I know the lyrics to "Do They Know It's Christmas?" are condescending and white saviour-ish, but it has a charm that's completely absent from "We Are the World".

by Anonymousreply 99July 11, 2019 7:59 PM

Not to get off topic, but this "Hall & Oates - Maneater Shreds" video is a hoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 11, 2019 8:01 PM

R99 Wow, I think exactly the opposite. Different strokes I guess.

by Anonymousreply 101July 11, 2019 8:01 PM

[QUOTE] Some were hurt when they were told no like John Denver and Carly Simon. Streisand was snubbed and Madonna asked but was declined.

One definitely noticed that the room seemed to be full of mostly AA artists. Not that it’s a bad thing. Wasn’t John Denver a humanitarian? That’s odd.

by Anonymousreply 102July 11, 2019 8:14 PM

Everybody who was turned down was probably glad once they heard the song.

by Anonymousreply 103July 11, 2019 8:15 PM

The best part of DTKIC is they’re all hung over and have bad teeth and messy hair, so British!

by Anonymousreply 104July 11, 2019 8:15 PM

[quote]"Do They Know It's Christmas." I have always found that song extremely patronizing.

So very British. Remember during the height of the Cold War when Sting posed the musical question "Do the Russians Love Their Children Too?" Because, after all, if you're not British, you're quite likely rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 105July 11, 2019 8:18 PM

Au contraire, old bean, Sting had the highest appreciation for Russia and its culture! Remember he sang about "the old man in that book by Nabakov"?

by Anonymousreply 106July 11, 2019 8:25 PM

"Do they know it's Christmas" is a great song."

No, it isn't. It's awful. Had some of the shittiest lyrics I've ever heard: "The Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom...well tonight thank God it's them instead of you." PUKE.

by Anonymousreply 107July 11, 2019 8:33 PM

I "analyzed" the guitar chords for "We Are the World" and "Do They Know It's Christmas." They both have a lot of F, G, and C major (happy chords). They both have a lot of minor chords (sad chords). "We Are the World" contains an A-flat chord. DTKIC contains no flat chords. DTKIC has more minor chords (all E minor) in the chorus. WATW has more major chords in the chorus. Maybe too many major chords make WATW more sappy.

by Anonymousreply 108July 11, 2019 8:37 PM

It is silly to say this or that artist weren't there so it was a snub. There were tons of artists who weren't there. Lionel R said it was hard enough getting who they could in such a short period of time. Some were turned down due to scheduling conflicts meaning they could come this time but not this time.

Cyndi sounds horrible. Her and her speech impediment. Please. I've never liked her screechy voice. Her part was the worst. And I agree, Bruce cannot sing but he is an icon and a presence. Bob Dylan has the worst voice.

by Anonymousreply 109July 11, 2019 8:42 PM

Culturally the 80s really sucked. It's been steadily downhill even since then, except for "television".

by Anonymousreply 110July 11, 2019 8:43 PM

Some artists were turned down R109.

by Anonymousreply 111July 11, 2019 8:43 PM

r111 Yes due to scheduling conflicts but who cares? Look at that sad display of narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 112July 11, 2019 8:47 PM

It's known that Prince and Michael Jackson did not like each other. I can imagine Prince not wanting to participate.

by Anonymousreply 113July 11, 2019 8:48 PM

[quote]Wasn’t John Denver a humanitarian? That’s odd.

He was't a humanitarian "in name only" like all the posers that sang on this record. John Denver really did try to make a difference. One of his many projects was a clean environment.

He founded the Windstar Foundation. He was very outspoken on the African AIDS crisis and visited Africa several times. He was awarded the Presidential World Without Hunger Award in 1987.

John Denver had every right to be hurt that they shut him out. He was a true humanitarian.

by Anonymousreply 114July 11, 2019 8:50 PM

Prince hated that fraud MJ.

by Anonymousreply 115July 11, 2019 8:50 PM

Streisand was not snubbed. She declined to participate because she was still the biggest star in the world at the time and felt like it was beneath her. Quincy, Michael and Lionel wanted her more than any other singer and planned for her and Diana Ross to sing a section of the song together.

by Anonymousreply 116July 11, 2019 8:51 PM

MJ was so jealous of most artists he would only have non-threatening ones there- past their primes. Surprised Bruce was there. That was probably due to Lionel Richie.

by Anonymousreply 117July 11, 2019 8:52 PM

[quote]Yes due to scheduling conflicts

No they ASKED and they were told no. This is not hard to grasp. Just ask Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 118July 11, 2019 8:53 PM

r116 Not what Lionel Richie said. He regrets he didn't ask BStreisand, turned down Prince's offer to due a guitar solo and Madonna's schedule was in conflict. There is a youtube video where he talks about this.

by Anonymousreply 119July 11, 2019 8:53 PM

r118 Lies. Lies. Lies.

I bet Prince, Madonna and Barbara were glad they didn't get into this monstrosity!

by Anonymousreply 120July 11, 2019 8:54 PM

R101, are you American or British (or other)? I'm British and have heard "Do They Know It's Christmas?" played every December of my life, so maybe the nostalgia factor is the reason I like it.

by Anonymousreply 121July 11, 2019 8:56 PM

You should have seen the reaction when the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was refused a solo.

by Anonymousreply 122July 11, 2019 8:59 PM

Even if we were not told that it was shat out by MJ, you could just tell by the two most prominent lines:

"WE are the world!"

"WE are the children!"

= A fool with Messianic and Peter Pan complexes.

Though, "WE are the world" is also a very uniquely American point of view, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 123July 11, 2019 9:07 PM

Darryl Hall had to read his one line every time.

by Anonymousreply 124July 11, 2019 9:18 PM

Lucy was originally going to sing the Cyndi Lauper solo but Gary talked her out of it

by Anonymousreply 125July 11, 2019 10:03 PM

[quote]Lucy was originally going to sing the Cyndi Lauper solo but Gary talked her out of it

Shut the fuck up, Gary. Even I wouldn't agree to sing that maudlin shit. Honestly, Viv, what is wrong with men today?

by Anonymousreply 126July 11, 2019 10:19 PM

It was done after the American Music Awards that night, thus the high celebrity turnout. Interesting that Do They Know It’s Xmas was snubbed of Grammy nominations for 1984. , while We Are The World won record and song of the year of 1985. I was a teen at the time. It was HUGE. Just like when MJs Thriller debuted on MTV. Above poster was correct. We will never see anything like this again.

by Anonymousreply 127July 11, 2019 10:39 PM

Nothing worse than a bunch of hags with no musical skills or acomlishments bitching about something that has no equivalent and never will. Yes it has a simple melody and simple words that bring the message carry clearly.

by Anonymousreply 128July 11, 2019 10:49 PM

Nothing worse than a bunch of hags with no musical skills or acomlishments bitching about something that has no equivalent and never will. Yes it has a simple melody and simple words that bring the message carry clearly.

by Anonymousreply 129July 11, 2019 10:49 PM

This is the only thread where weary MJ fans can come to sing his praises without it being just about him.

by Anonymousreply 130July 11, 2019 10:52 PM

I like the "In Living Color" version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 11, 2019 10:52 PM

The dead people from We Are the World:

Michael Jackson

Ray Charles

Waylon Jennings

Al Jarreau

June Pointer

James Ingram

by Anonymousreply 132July 11, 2019 11:08 PM

R132 Waylon sang on WATW? He wasn’t in the video. Nor have I ever heard he participated.

by Anonymousreply 133July 11, 2019 11:13 PM

I always thought Sun City was the best of all these songs R97

by Anonymousreply 134July 11, 2019 11:17 PM

Prince contributed the stellar 4 The Tears in Your Eyes to the We Are The World album in lieu of participating in the chorus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 11, 2019 11:23 PM

The best charity shingle wash a show low number with choir!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 11, 2019 11:23 PM

An even better version...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 11, 2019 11:24 PM

WATW 25 featured Janet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 11, 2019 11:25 PM

WATW 25 featured Janet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 11, 2019 11:25 PM

WATW25 featured Janet? Janet? JANET JACKSON?!?

That must be why no one remembers it.

by Anonymousreply 140July 11, 2019 11:29 PM

R44 really is disturbed.

by Anonymousreply 141July 11, 2019 11:29 PM

[quote]Marilyn Martin did vocals on Stevie’s The Wild Heart tour, and is in the video for “If Anyone Falls” and also provided vocals on Stevie’s Rock a Little album. They were thick as thieves, I’m sure she was doing her friend a favor by supporting her efforts at a solo career. At any rate, the story goes that’s why she wasn’t at WATW.

R87, Marilyn Martin does not sing at all on The Wild Heart nor is she in the" If Anyone Falls" video (that's Carolyn Brooks). Marilyn and Stevie did not meet until The Wild Heart tour (after The Wild Heart was released) where Marilyn sang backup for Stevie's secret boyfriend, Joe Walsh.

MM is on a few songs on Rock A Little. She's also been touring as one of Stevie's backup singers since 2016 on Stevie's solo tours and with Fleetwood Mac.

Stevie's background vocals of "My eyes" on "Separate Lives" is at 2:23 in the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 11, 2019 11:33 PM

R140 is Madonna, miffed that she missed out on BOTH WATWs and that her new album has performed an amazing vanishing act off the charts.

by Anonymousreply 143July 11, 2019 11:34 PM

Prince DID participate in the 10th anniversary of WATW at the 1995 American Music Awards.

But rather than sing with those nobles, he sucked on a lollipop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 11, 2019 11:36 PM

"My eyes!"

by Anonymousreply 145July 11, 2019 11:36 PM

"WHEN WE!"

When WATW was being recorded in January 1985, Kim was having one of her best singles ever released, even though it want nowhere, unfortunately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 11, 2019 11:55 PM

r143 My GAWD you are fucking psycho!

by Anonymousreply 147July 12, 2019 12:08 AM

Madonna did make it to Live Aid, at least.

by Anonymousreply 148July 12, 2019 12:13 AM

Was that the one that Waylon Jennings was invited to but as soon as he got there and saw all the black people he said "no way" and fled?

by Anonymousreply 149July 12, 2019 12:15 AM

Madonna's Live Aid performance was one of the highlights.

by Anonymousreply 150July 12, 2019 12:16 AM

Madonna was great at Live Aid - but she was no Cyndi Lauper as a vocalist. Cyndi had a great voice, it's too bad she mucked everything up by trying to be so unusual.

by Anonymousreply 151July 12, 2019 12:18 AM

Ranking the We Are the World performers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 12, 2019 12:18 AM

[quote] I remember reading that Jackson was freaked out by Bruce Springsteen. Bruce was in a leather jacket and was exuding a lot of that masculine blue collar stuff he identified with, and Jackson was rattled by it for whatever reason. He spoke to Bruce only when minimum necessary and used his softest whisper. He hid behind a stack of equipment to hide from Bruce, he really only wanted to talk to Diana Ross.

Michael was afraid that Springsteen might try to force the group listen to him sing Santa Clause is Coming to Town.

by Anonymousreply 153July 12, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote] I think Dylan probably rues the day that he did this piece of junk. Why did he do it? Maybe his agent told him it would make him look good. At any rate, he looks like he's thinking "what the fuck am I doing here?"

If you watch the documentary; you'll see that Bob Dylan worked very hard but struggled with his part, for obvious reasons. Being surrounded by talented singers had to be and struggling had to be a bit humiliating.

by Anonymousreply 154July 12, 2019 12:46 AM

Barbra Streisand was the biggest star in the world in 1985, R116? To gays maybe. As far as a pop artist in the MTV era, she sure as hell wasn't. Her 1984 album didn't yield any top 40 hits and was a far less seller than Guilty, which was 5 years old at that point.

R127, Grammy eligibility is from October 1-September 30. DTKIC wasn't eligible for 1984 nominations since it was released in December.

by Anonymousreply 155July 12, 2019 12:48 AM

R141/R147 is certifiably insane.

by Anonymousreply 156July 12, 2019 12:56 AM

[quote] And third, the only interesting thing (to me) is seeing all the people involved who are now dead or completely irrelevant.

We're talking about 1985, 34 years ago, over 3 decades ago. You find it interesting that pop stars who had hits on the charts 30 yrs ago, are no longer relevant and you find it interesting that 6 or 7 are dead? Really after 34 years?

by Anonymousreply 157July 12, 2019 12:57 AM

Conductor • Quincy Jones Soloists (in order of appearance) • Lionel Richie • Stevie Wonder • Paul Simon • Kenny Rogers • James Ingram • Tina Turner • Billy Joel • Michael Jackson • Diana Ross • Dionne Warwick • Willie Nelson • Al Jarreau • Bruce Springsteen • Kenny Loggins • Steve Perry • Daryl Hall • Huey Lewis • Cyndi Lauper • Kim Carnes • Bob Dylan • Ray Charles • Tom Bailey • Alannah Currie • Joe Leeway

Chorus (alphabetically) • Dan Aykroyd • Harry Belafonte • Lindsey Buckingham • Mario Cipollina • Johnny Colla • Sheila E. • Bob Geldof • Bill Gibson • Chris Hayes • Sean Hopper • Jackie Jackson • La Toya Jackson • Marlon Jackson • Randy Jackson • Tito Jackson • Waylon Jennings • Bette Midler • John Oates • Jeffrey Osborne • The Pointer Sisters • Smokey Robinson • Corey Haim • Brian Bonsall • Raymond Louis Kennedy • Corey Feldman • Andrea Elson • Eric Idle

by Anonymousreply 158July 12, 2019 12:59 AM

R138/R139 is JABBA.

by Anonymousreply 159July 12, 2019 12:59 AM

Can’t believe Smokey Robinson & Jeffrey Osborne were used as background singers.

by Anonymousreply 160July 12, 2019 1:05 AM

I can't believe so many have to look at the sheet music. They each had one fucking line!

And Bruce (I Sound Like I'm Taking A Shit When I Sing) Springsteen is fucking ridiculous in that video.

I guess Rebbie was too busy promoting Centipede to take part?

by Anonymousreply 161July 12, 2019 1:10 AM

Alannah Curry?? Really?

by Anonymousreply 162July 12, 2019 1:12 AM

[QUOTE] Marilyn Martin does not sing at all on The Wild Heart nor is she in the" If Anyone Falls" video (that's Carolyn Brooks).

I stand corrected Mike, you’re right.

TOSOTM is still a bucket of diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 163July 12, 2019 1:15 AM

Clearly Lionel and Michael stole the idea from Donna Summer's State of Independence. They were part of the all star chorus with Diana Ross, Brenda Russell, Christopher Cross, James Ingram, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Kenny Loggins. Did they even ask her to part of WATW?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 12, 2019 1:19 AM

Lionel and Michael didn't need to steal the idea of the all-star chorus, since the idea was just recycled from the producer of both songs, Quincy Jones

by Anonymousreply 165July 12, 2019 1:27 AM

And yet it was, r165. It was.

by Anonymousreply 166July 12, 2019 1:37 AM

[quote]Corey Haim • Brian Bonsall • Raymond Louis Kennedy • Corey Feldman • Andrea Elson • Eric Idle

Okay someone is trolling Wikipedia - although maybe MJ had the Coreys and Brian Bonsall up to Neverland to record some overdubs in private.

by Anonymousreply 167July 12, 2019 1:59 AM

From r152's link:

You know what this song is missing? Prince. According to legend, the reason Prince decided not to participate is because Bob Geldof called him a “creep.” Send your hate mail to the Boomtown Rats.

by Anonymousreply 168July 12, 2019 2:08 AM

I forgot that Paul Simon and Lindsey Buckingham were in this

by Anonymousreply 169July 12, 2019 2:09 AM

In Living Color did a parody of it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 12, 2019 2:22 AM

Bette Davis Eyes the song and music video were MTV era - 1981.

by Anonymousreply 171July 12, 2019 2:49 AM

R72 and other ignorant assholes.... Olivia Newton-John wrote “The Promise (The Dolphin Song)” on her double platinum Physical album.

She wrote or co-wrote several songs on The Rumour album which went double linoleum.

by Anonymousreply 172July 12, 2019 2:57 AM

[quote] Everybody who was turned down was probably glad once they heard the song.

I don't know why. The song won Record of the Year, which means the artist(s) and producer win the Grammy. So everyone who sang on it won a Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 173July 12, 2019 3:05 AM

I was invited, but I called in sick with a cold. They bought it, heh-heh-heh . . .

by Anonymousreply 174July 12, 2019 3:13 AM

Buy my book "And A Voice To Sing With" if you want to know my thoughts re: WATW (snubbed) and Live Aid (a starring role.)

by Anonymousreply 175July 12, 2019 3:16 AM

I love Jan Hooks as Diana Ross in this "We Are The World"-esque parody.

Tell the children to tell the world to tell the chickens we are on our way!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 12, 2019 3:20 AM

r36: Midler was very caustic about it, referring to it as "We Are The Rich, We Are The Famous".

by Anonymousreply 177July 12, 2019 3:25 AM

Was Judy Garland still alive when they recorded the song? That would have been cool to have her on the song, even if she couldn't sing anymore.

by Anonymousreply 178July 12, 2019 3:35 AM

^^^ Good God, NO, you dimwit. Garland croaked in 196Freaking9.

by Anonymousreply 179July 12, 2019 3:40 AM

R179, How the hell would I know! I'm not an old geezer like you.

by Anonymousreply 180July 12, 2019 3:44 AM

They should've had Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn participate. That would've been hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 181July 12, 2019 3:47 AM

At least this "geezer" has a functioning brain, R180 . . .

by Anonymousreply 182July 12, 2019 3:49 AM

Judy Garland sang You'dll neve walk... ALOOWN for thalidomide babies. She knew about birth defects. My mom told me that Judy turned away from crippled children.

Bad enough that We are the World is from a 35 year old vault. Leave your Judy crap out of it old white f@gs. Jesus loves you. Judy never did.

by Anonymousreply 183July 12, 2019 3:53 AM

[quote]She wrote or co-wrote several songs on The Rumour album which went double linoleum.

I’m floored!

by Anonymousreply 184July 12, 2019 4:15 AM

Money Changes Everything

by Anonymousreply 185July 12, 2019 4:51 AM

Anyone else remember when Muzak played the song? It was weird hearing the singing since I was used to only hearing instrumental at the office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186July 12, 2019 4:58 AM

R176, they missed a golden opportunity to bring Dan Aykroyd back to SNL for that. They could have stuck him on the back row.

by Anonymousreply 187July 12, 2019 5:13 AM

Don't forget the tribute to the tribute. The AMAs are the best for this. Diana loves to direct the children. OK, You get Whitney, Liz Taylor, MJ, Teddy damn Pendergrass, Johnny Cash, Paul McCartney, Aretha, Stevie, Lionel, Sheila E and Kim Carnes. And the song still sounds like SHITE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 12, 2019 5:21 AM

To be fair, this was probably the best Michael Jackson ever looked... shortly after this was when he spiraled down into disgusting over-surgery and mummification and whatever the fuck happened to his skin and nose.

It's kind of odd to me now that Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, and Ray Charles were given so much more of the song than others. Kim Karnes, as mentioned, got only two words. Other major stars with hits got nothing but chorus. It's a very weird distribution, sitting at this distance from it.

by Anonymousreply 189July 12, 2019 5:37 AM

James Ingram got a solo, and I have no idea who the fuck that is, or was. The pointer Sisters got nothing. No Madonna is just weird. And it was mid-80s... no REO Speedwagon or Foreigner? Don Henley? John Fogerty? Corey Hart? Howard Jones? RIck Springfield? David Lee Roth?

by Anonymousreply 190July 12, 2019 5:44 AM

They wouldn’t let me sing my segment in Italian, so I walked out.

by Anonymousreply 191July 12, 2019 5:54 AM

James Ingram (died in 2019) was an R&B artist, won 2 Grammys (nominated for ~ 13 Grammys). He wrote PYT (Pretty Young Thing, Michael Jackson's hit) with Quincy Jones. He also wrote (with Quincy Jones) and sang "Just Once," (featured "Last American Virgin") which is a song I really like. His credits go on and on.

by Anonymousreply 192July 12, 2019 5:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193July 12, 2019 6:01 AM

To be fair to whom? Who said otherwise. Michael Jackson looked fine and James Ingram was KING. Ray Charles, Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Springsteen, Dylan, MJ - forget about it. Only Cyndi Lauper's moment is curious. She was newly famous and started out good but she is Huey Lewis old news now. She's a world famous asshole and this recording was everyone's first glance of it. Diana Ross sings like Diana Ross. She's beautiful and she knows it. Bitch sings in the pouring rain and it ain't gonna hurt her. Not much fuss. But Cyndi and the other hair brigades take a lot of time. Springsteen sounds so stupid now, but he was great with his band. later. Lionel Richie is supremely underrated as a singer. The first line is golden and to be honest, he could have sung the whole verse. Kim Carnes couldn't sing and she looked a 100 back then, when I was two years old. Who gave that old white woman a line?

It was a collaborative effort. A bet a few of them felt underutilized. But people didn't parse shit then the way we do now.

by Anonymousreply 194July 12, 2019 6:03 AM

The participants were chosen by artist manager Ken Kragen. So you have a few that were his clients: Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Kim Carnes, Lindsey Buckingham. Others were friends and frequent collaborators with producer Quincy Jones: James Ingram, Ray Charles, Michael Jackson. Some were artists that were having a moment at that particular time: Tina Turner, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis, Kenny Loggins, Steve Perry. And others were just musical legends: Stevie Wonder, Willie Nelson, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick.

The whole thing was Harry Belafonte's idea, he was totally ignored.

by Anonymousreply 195July 12, 2019 6:06 AM

As has been said, pop stars were SO famous back then, everybody knew who they were. Even your grandparents knew who Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen etc. were. And also, there was still a certain mystique and glamour to celebrities back then. That kind of thing really doesn't exist anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 12, 2019 6:13 AM

R82. Wait, Madonna was turned down, but Dan Akroyd was asked just because he happened to be in the building?

by Anonymousreply 197July 12, 2019 6:26 AM

For you r1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 12, 2019 6:34 AM

To put Madonna in the context of the times:

When Madonna had her first wave of success, she was not taken seriously by many people in the music business. She was thought to be a fluke, a flash-in-the-pan dance/disco artist who would not have any longevity. Lots of people in the Industry were very snobbish about Madonna and looked down on her - they thought she would be over in a year. Of course she had the last laugh and went on to be bigger than all of them, but that was the Industry's opinion on Madonna at the time of We Are the World. One of Madonna's only defenders in the celebrity world at that time was Andy Warhol, who said "she's going to be the biggest star in the world." Most other people just wrote her off. So that's why she wasn't asked to participate.

by Anonymousreply 199July 12, 2019 6:40 AM

Wow, rewatching this I had forgotten how good looking Kenny Loggins was in those years. (He has aged very well, too, I must say).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 12, 2019 6:44 AM

[quote] The whole thing was Harry Belafonte's idea, he was totally ignored.

It's sad that Harry Belafonte gets so little credit for this collaboration. Whether the song holds up or not, it was an important cultural moment that I hope raised a lot of money and did some good.

by Anonymousreply 201July 12, 2019 6:53 AM

^ I am gonna blow my head off R198. Haha. Is it really 6 fucking hours of Bono delivering that ridiculous line over and over? With so much conviction. That video is the work of the mentally ill. Thanks for posting though?

Why can't people just admit that Do They Know It's Christmas has a great drum beat and some damn fine sexy singing. Boy George sounds gorgeous, Dreamy wow. George Michael looks boss and 40 year old Sting looks like he just finished tobogganing after school. What stands out about the Brits at that time - is that it was an all boys club. Jody Watley is there, doing nothing. There was no LuLu, Dusty Springfield or Pet Clark. No legacy ladies. I'm not brit but it wouldn't be the same today. If Jagger were there - some female singers would be featured. The lyrics to that song are terminally bad and the dudes are pretty damn cute. *Not Bono.

by Anonymousreply 202July 12, 2019 6:54 AM

Boy George was always underrated as a vocalist. He really had a gorgeous voice in his prime, but it was overshadowed by his outrageous image.

by Anonymousreply 203July 12, 2019 6:59 AM

r104 especially Sting, his hair was hung limp

by Anonymousreply 204July 12, 2019 7:12 AM

Chords of the song. A maj, E major, A maj, B maj, E maj. C# min, G# min, A maj, B maj, E maj. Rinse and repeat about a dozen times. Then move everything up a half step (to F maj) and repeat some more. Or in Roman numerals IV I IV V I VI III IV V I

by Anonymousreply 205July 12, 2019 7:38 AM

I was shocked that Voices That Care had so many more stars, and so many bigger stars. I mean, Michelle Pfieffer, Meryl Streep, Sally Field? And tons more — even singers lol

by Anonymousreply 206July 12, 2019 7:53 AM

All of those multi-celebrity fundraiser songs sucked, and little if any of the money raised went to the people they were so earnestly supporting.

by Anonymousreply 207July 12, 2019 8:17 AM

Unfortunately, that voice has left the building R203. Damn shame, it is.

by Anonymousreply 208July 12, 2019 10:11 AM

I always thought 'That's what Friends are for' was the worst schmaltz

by Anonymousreply 209July 12, 2019 11:02 AM

R155 so the Grammy qualifying year is this and not the calendar year? Are you sure it was this 35 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 210July 12, 2019 11:56 AM

[quote]turned down Prince's offer to due a guitar solo

Oh, dear!

[quote]Santa Clause is Coming to Town

Oh, DEAR!!

by Anonymousreply 211July 12, 2019 1:23 PM

[quote]Nothing worse than a bunch of hags with no musical skills or acomlishments bitching about something that has no equivalent and never will. Yes it has a simple melody and simple words that bring the message carry clearly. —You are just jaded old queens

Ah, you may be right, but I would much rather be a jaded old queen than an illiterate young queen.

by Anonymousreply 212July 12, 2019 1:24 PM

Why do people hate on Cyndi Lauper? I think she was fantastic with her part in the song. Also, she was hardly a flash in the pan and is still relevant today. I have heard she's a nasty bitch sometimes but I've also heard she's very, very kind to her fans.

by Anonymousreply 213July 12, 2019 1:31 PM

I dunno, R213. R194 is ridiculous. Cindy Lauper's line is easily the highlight of the entire song.

by Anonymousreply 214July 12, 2019 2:07 PM

Too bad Kate Bush didn't participate in that horrible "Do They Know It's Christmas?" bilge.

She certainly enlivened the equally wretched "Spirit Of The Forest" in 1989.

I love how Kate refused to record in the room with the nobodies on the chorus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 12, 2019 2:17 PM

R203, I also think Boy George is an extremely talented singer. I'm still shocked that he rocked that gender-bender image as early as 1982. I don't think that would fly today, no matter how good or on-trend the music is.

by Anonymousreply 216July 12, 2019 3:30 PM

WATW is hardly being played in oldies radio right now. But Do they know went on to become a popular song during Christmas

by Anonymousreply 217July 12, 2019 3:47 PM

[quote] James Ingram (died in 2019) was an R&B artist, won 2 Grammys (nominated for ~ 13 Grammys). He wrote PYT (Pretty Young Thing, Michael Jackson's hit) with Quincy Jones. He also wrote (with Quincy Jones) and sang "Just Once," (featured "Last American Virgin") which is a song I really like. His credits go on and on.

Ingram also had two #1 songs on the Hot 100, one prior to WATW and one much later on, as well as a #2 duet with Linda Ronstadt the year after. He had several hit singles on the pop, R&B and AC charts. He was considered at that time to be one of the best vocalists in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 218July 12, 2019 4:04 PM

Excusez moi, R128?

by Anonymousreply 219July 12, 2019 4:15 PM

R214 I love Cyndi, but that’s like saying Lionel Richie is relevant today.

by Anonymousreply 220July 12, 2019 4:18 PM

R88, that has to be publicist nonsense. It was the American Music Awards, of course they arrived in limos.

by Anonymousreply 221July 12, 2019 4:26 PM

The problem with Cyndi Lauper is the same problem Bette Midler had. Both of them thought they were Janis Joplin rockers and both were wrong. Both of them have done their best work with ballads and easy listening songs. Ladies, leave the hard rock to Joplin and Pat Bentar and those ladies who have the voice to sing it. There's a reason why Mahalia Jackson never sang "Love's Been A Little Bit Hard On Me."

by Anonymousreply 222July 12, 2019 4:43 PM

As always, Canadians show us how it's done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223July 12, 2019 4:53 PM

Why wasn't Frank Sinatra asked to participate? He was close friends with Quincy. That would have been historic.

by Anonymousreply 224July 12, 2019 5:55 PM

The video to the Canadian version looks like it was filmed for public access television.

by Anonymousreply 225July 12, 2019 6:57 PM

"Being surrounded by talented singers had to be and struggling had to be a bit humiliating."

A great many of those "talented singers" weren't good enough to smell Dylan's shit. Dylan was no great singer, but he's a music legend. I think he did this piece of crap because somebody convinced him it would be a good career move. But from the way he looks here it's obvious he wants to get the hell away from all of it. Can't say I blame him. He was too good to do shit like "We Are The World."

by Anonymousreply 226July 12, 2019 8:42 PM

"Why wasn't Frank Sinatra asked to participate? He was close friends with Quincy. That would have been historic."

Historically embarrassing. I can only imagine how incongruous poor Frank would have been in the midst of all those pop/rock singers. It would have looked like a Saturday NIght Live skit.

by Anonymousreply 227July 12, 2019 8:46 PM

As embarrassing as Cyndi Lauper's screeching of her lines? Not possible.

by Anonymousreply 228July 12, 2019 9:08 PM

Ray Charles too, for that matter. At least he sang that shit out of that, well, shit.

by Anonymousreply 229July 12, 2019 11:20 PM

R210, yes. I have an awesome book about The Grammys that lists every nominee and winner for each year and some nice background info. The awards for the 1984 Grammys were telecast on February 26, 1985. Eligibility was from October 1, 1983 to September 30, 1984. Do They Know It's Christmas qualified for the 1985 Grammys. It was nominated for Best Music Video, Short Form, but WATW won.

by Anonymousreply 230July 12, 2019 11:35 PM

Bette stood next to Latoya (with headband)!

by Anonymousreply 231July 13, 2019 12:08 AM

R226 I don’t think Dylan has ever smiled in his life tbh. I wouldn’t call WATW a piece of crap. Certain parts of the song are moving and stirring. Is it the best Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson (the songwriters of it) song? No. I’m sure probably more than half the participants weren’t crazy about the song, but took part in it because of the intentions and message of the song. Not to mention the great publicity.

by Anonymousreply 232July 13, 2019 12:38 AM

Many, if not most, of them thought the song was a piece of shit (which it was) but the publicity was just too good. WATW got a TON of press for months.

by Anonymousreply 233July 13, 2019 12:41 AM

That was supposed to launch Latoya and her headbands lol

by Anonymousreply 234July 13, 2019 12:52 AM

What was the SNL skit with different characters singing in a chorus like We Are The World?

I think it had Phil Hartman's Frankenstein, Hans and Frans, Matt Foley,(maybe).

by Anonymousreply 235July 13, 2019 1:35 AM

"What was the SNL skit with different characters singing in a chorus like We Are The World?"

Didn't they do more than one skit like that? I remember in one of them a guy (I wish I knew who it was) was doing such a dead-on Axl Rose impression that the audience seemed amazed.

by Anonymousreply 236July 13, 2019 1:46 AM

Kim Carnes looks pissed at Cyndi when Cyndi does her caterwauling in the video.

by Anonymousreply 237July 13, 2019 2:42 AM

"And also, there was still a certain mystique and glamour to celebrities back then. That kind of thing really doesn't exist anymore."

Yeah, Michael the Pedo was so GLAMOROUS!!!! There was nothing glamorous about the 80s, what a tacky decade.

by Anonymousreply 238July 13, 2019 2:45 AM

The greatest performance ever by Steve Perry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 13, 2019 2:52 AM

r238 you just don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 240July 13, 2019 2:53 AM

[quote]James Ingram got a solo, and I have no idea who the fuck that is, or was.

You’re either very young or very white. My guess is both.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 13, 2019 2:55 AM

r240 just doesn't get it. Or just has bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 242July 13, 2019 2:56 AM

r242 you musn't have lived through the 80s. Fame was on a different level than it is today.

by Anonymousreply 243July 13, 2019 2:57 AM

Yes, I lived through the 80s. That's why I think they were tacky.

by Anonymousreply 244July 13, 2019 3:04 AM

[quote]She certainly enlivened the equally wretched "Spirit Of The Forest" in 1989. I love how Kate refused to record in the room with the nobodies on the chorus.

Wow, I’m an 80s kid and I have never even heard of that song. It’s fucking wretched along with that terrible video. At least WATW and Do They Know... have melodies.

by Anonymousreply 245July 13, 2019 3:06 AM

I wish the Punchy Players would do a takeoff of Judy participating in the We Are the World song. She could take along Liza and Ann Miller for emotional support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246July 13, 2019 3:37 AM

[quote]You’re either very young or very white. My guess is both.

In my 50s. Never heard of him. Was really into music all through the 80s. I have no memory of that name ever. And he doesn't look even remotely familiar. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 247July 13, 2019 4:01 AM

Baby Come To Me was a huge hit that got a lot of airplay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 13, 2019 4:03 AM

Cindy Lauper's part in that song is the only good thing about it. She was amazing. The best thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 249July 13, 2019 4:07 AM

Why wasn't Annie Lennox asked to be on Do They Know It's Christmas? Was it a requirement every vocalist had to be a man/boy?

by Anonymousreply 250July 13, 2019 4:12 AM

What's the SNL skit like WATW where Chris Farley is Carnie Wilson?

by Anonymousreply 251July 13, 2019 4:13 AM

James Ingram was known for doing several collaborations with other artists:

"Just Once" with Quincy Jones

"One Hundred Ways" with Quincy Jones

"Baby, Come to Me" with Patti Austin

"Yah Mo B There" with Michael McDonald

"What About Me?" with Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes

"Somewhere Out There" with Linda Ronstadt

He was ubiquitous in the 80s, but he probably doesn't stand out to you because he was usually paired with someone else.

by Anonymousreply 252July 13, 2019 4:17 AM

Why wasn't Jagger there R250? Bowie, Elton John? Because not everyone is asked or wants to do it. Do they know it's Christmas reeks of the boys club. Can't stand Sting or Bono. They probably didn't want Annie Lennox, the best singer in the UK.

Why isn't Aretha, Teddy Pendergrass or Whitney on WATW? Who knows, who cares.

by Anonymousreply 253July 13, 2019 4:20 AM

R253 probably because DTKIC had a lot of British performers and WATW didn’t want to be seen as a some kind of clone. Whitney hadn’t had her first hit yet so she wouldn’t have been invited. Aretha would’ve been great for it. Obviously there are a lot of heavy hitters they could’ve gotten and left out Dan Aykroyd and LaToya Jackson. But I think did exceptionally well with the ones they did get.

by Anonymousreply 254July 13, 2019 4:41 AM

They did ^^^

by Anonymousreply 255July 13, 2019 4:41 AM

Of course there must've been scheduling conflicts, which is why certain people weren't there. Some of them probably weren't even in the country.

by Anonymousreply 256July 13, 2019 4:48 AM

It is fucking ridiculous to have no idea who James Ingram is.

Just fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 257July 13, 2019 6:03 AM

I feel the same way about Hoagy Carmichael.

by Anonymousreply 258July 13, 2019 6:24 AM

258 posts and no one thought, "Gee, maybe we should post the actual song for reference."?

Nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259July 13, 2019 10:48 AM

"Tonight thank God it's them instead of you." could be FLOTUS's new battle cry.

by Anonymousreply 260July 13, 2019 10:57 AM

[quote]In my 50s. Never heard of him. Was really into music all through the 80s. I have no memory of that name ever. And he doesn't look even remotely familiar. Sorry.

Pathetic. Take a look at R252 for reference, white bread.

by Anonymousreply 261July 13, 2019 11:49 AM

No one in any of the WATW videos can match the beauty of Derek Klena at 2:03

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 13, 2019 12:42 PM

[quote]Streisand was not snubbed. She declined to participate because she was still the biggest star in the world at the time and felt like it was beneath her.

Bigger star than Michael fucking Jackson in 1985? Nah, brah.

by Anonymousreply 263July 13, 2019 3:47 PM

She thought she was the biggest star, but now, it's MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264July 13, 2019 4:33 PM

Well R253, I care because I brought it up.

And I know why Whitney wasn't on WATW. She didn't come on to the scene until a month after WATW was released. Aretha's career was in the dumper when WATW was recorded. Who's Zoomin Who had not been released yet.

Take a fucking sedative.

by Anonymousreply 265July 13, 2019 4:37 PM

You know Michael insisted Latoya and his useless brothers had to be included and Quincy Jones didn't want them, but MJ had too much clout at the time for Quincy to tell him no.

by Anonymousreply 266July 13, 2019 4:39 PM

Yes, Barbra was a bigger star than MJ in 1985 and forever. She still had a legendary music and film career, and was an EGOT winner. Michael's career was pretty much over after his BAD album just two years later.

by Anonymousreply 267July 13, 2019 4:42 PM

R253 is not the one who needs a sedative. What's a sedative eldergay R265?

Barbara Streizand fans need a sedative this week though. What a greedy cunt piece of embarrassment she is, every decade.

by Anonymousreply 268July 13, 2019 4:49 PM

You're right, 267. I remember MTV playing her videos nonstop and hearing so many of her songs on the radio that year.

Not a huge Michael defender but his career wasn't over until 1996. Black or White spent 7 weeks at #1 in 1991 and he was the first artists to have a song debut at #1 in 1995 after the molestation charges. What has Babs accomplished after her pedo sympathizer scandal?

by Anonymousreply 269July 13, 2019 4:54 PM

I'm assuming Janet was not involved with WATW because she was giving birth?

by Anonymousreply 270July 13, 2019 4:55 PM

At no point in her too long career was Barbra Streisand EVER as famous as Michael Jackson was in the eighties. Facts are facts. Streisand is a greedy grinder who doesn't know when to quit. Like 25 years ago maybe. Get the talentless bitch some propofol.

by Anonymousreply 271July 13, 2019 4:55 PM

[quote]Yes, Barbra was a bigger star than MJ in 1985 and forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272July 13, 2019 4:56 PM

Streisand is far bigger than Michael Jackson. She is an EGOT winner and the biggest female singer and actress of all time. Those are the facts.

by Anonymousreply 273July 13, 2019 5:01 PM

"WHEN WE..."

The only two tolerable notes in the entire song, especially after coming after Lauper's fake "goofy" pretense.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274July 13, 2019 5:01 PM

Not a single one of those "James Ingraham" songs in that list rings a bell except for "Somewhere Out There", and even THERE, the only one I remember is Linda... I listened to a few others... maudlin forgettable pop crap that I never listened to except maybe accidentally while in elevators.

I was more into alternative and New Wave, sorry. I've still never heard of this guy and have zero memory of him. I know and recognize every other person in that video, though, including most of the ones that didn't get solos.

Stop trying to pretend this guy was huge. He clearly wasn't. And I had MTV on 24/7. He was clearly forgettable and has near zero name recognition now. If I mentioned his name around the office, I bet no one else would remember it either.

by Anonymousreply 275July 13, 2019 5:01 PM

Mr. Alternative & New Wave has spoken!

I wonder if he still has his Robert Smith-styled black shoe polish hair in 2019...

by Anonymousreply 276July 13, 2019 5:06 PM

[quote]Streisand is far bigger than Michael Jackson. She is an EGOT winner and the biggest female singer and actress of all time. Those are the facts.

Spoken like a true queen. I literally cannot name one Streisand song. Also, MJ was not a female.

by Anonymousreply 277July 13, 2019 5:08 PM

I bet Mr. Alternative & New Wave grew a think bleached braid like Aimee Mann.

You know I'm right.

"Shut up! You don't understand!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278July 13, 2019 5:12 PM

THIN bleached braid.

by Anonymousreply 279July 13, 2019 5:13 PM

Streisand is not the biggest selling female singer of all time either. She's barely in the top ten. Don't bother arguing with your U.S. certified sales crap either. The world is bigger than the United States and even bigger than Barbara Streizand.

by Anonymousreply 280July 13, 2019 5:15 PM

To the “Barbra was an EGOT winner!!!!!11!!1!one!!” nut, she was given an honorary Tony award. Let’s not make like she was a fucking Broadway star or something.

Now she’s someone who blames pedophile victims.

by Anonymousreply 281July 13, 2019 5:20 PM

Was '85 still The Jewfro Years for Barbra or had she discovered the crimping iron by then?

by Anonymousreply 282July 13, 2019 5:25 PM

As her Fall 1984 video for "Left In The Dark" shows, Barbra had moved on to the crimping iron.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283July 13, 2019 5:33 PM

I was graciously invited, but had to decline. I was on location for the epic, [italic]The Sun Also Sets[/italic], for Italian director Vittorio della Scabieso, in Papua New Guinea. I did send a crate of [italic]Helenesque![/italic] for everyone involved, and I planted my own tree in solidarity in Port Moresby.

by Anonymousreply 284July 13, 2019 5:50 PM

Aren’t you a dear, Miss Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 285July 13, 2019 5:55 PM

James Ingram's chart success:

"Just Once" - #17

"One Hundred Ways" - #14

"Baby, Come to Me" - #1

"Yah Mo Be There" - #19

"What About Me?" - #15

"Somewhere Out There" - #2

"I Don't Have the Heart" - #1

Yeah, this guy was a real one-hit wonder nobody.

by Anonymousreply 286July 13, 2019 5:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287July 13, 2019 6:00 PM

She was blowing it out, if you look at her concert benefit in her backyard it looks nice

by Anonymousreply 288July 13, 2019 6:06 PM

Who the fuck is the Ingram-Stan in this thread?

[quote]Yeah, this guy was a real one-hit wonder nobody.

You’re right. By your own list, he was a two-hit wonder apparently.

I’m not the poster who never heard of him, but I wouldn’t exactly call him famous or a household name, then or now.

by Anonymousreply 289July 13, 2019 6:10 PM

I honestly only recognize one of the songs on that list of "hits" by name. I might recognize a few more if I listened to them.

Compare that to … EVERYONE ELSE in the video. I can name them all AND a bunch of their hits. .

by Anonymousreply 290July 13, 2019 6:14 PM

Many Americans are shocked by this, but Barbra Streisand has always been more of an American celebrity, she's never been a huge star outside the US. In non-English speaking countries, she's not well-known at all.

by Anonymousreply 291July 13, 2019 6:22 PM

Team James Ingram. He was very well known in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 292July 13, 2019 6:23 PM

Also Team James Ingram. It's a ridiculous argument. periodt.

by Anonymousreply 293July 13, 2019 6:28 PM

Class of '83. Never heard of him. Asked around. Nobody recognized the name.

by Anonymousreply 294July 13, 2019 6:39 PM

Prince refused to sing, he offered to compose another song instead

by Anonymousreply 295July 13, 2019 6:42 PM

I guess I'm the Ingram-Stan. Honestly, I'm not even that much of a fan. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that someone who lived through the 80s and listened to pop music isn't familiar with his songs even if you don't know his name.

by Anonymousreply 296July 13, 2019 6:42 PM

Yeah, Janet wasnt there but Latoya was? Re - James Ingram- I'm from the Philippines and his songs were huge hits even there.

by Anonymousreply 297July 13, 2019 6:45 PM

Latoya was living in the Jackson family compound with Michael and was there when Jackson wrote the lyrics. She claimed Lionel Richie only contributed a few lines but took 50% of the credit. So naturally, Latoya was invited (or invited herself). Janet was probably discreetly having James Debarge's baby.

by Anonymousreply 298July 13, 2019 6:58 PM

A- James Ingram was clearly more than a "2-hit wonder." The proof was posted above, so new wave asshole, shut the fuck up already, you've been owned. If you're such a self proclaimed music expert and you don't know who he is, then perhaps go in and get checked for alzheimers.

B- I watched the video. The song is just as execrable 35 years later. What a fucking piece of shit. I will say that the whole beginning stretch is completely unmemorable. I had forgotten Tina Turner, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Dionne Warwick, all of those people had sung on it. Like her or hate her, the Huey-Kim-Cyndi trio has become the "face" of WATW this far on.

C- I was laughing watching Quincy Jones conducting the choir, thinking- half those vocalists have no idea how to follow a conductor. It's completely useless.

D- Dylan wins hands down for worst vocalist of the group. That they actually brought him back to be heard a second time is mind boggling. Bruce sounded like hot garbage also, but at the time was one of the biggest music stars on the planet. Dylan was way past his prime.

by Anonymousreply 299July 13, 2019 7:05 PM

The irony is Tina Turner thought Bruce and Bob did the best job singing.

by Anonymousreply 300July 13, 2019 7:07 PM

R299=Andrew Lloyd Webber

by Anonymousreply 301July 13, 2019 7:13 PM

Interestingly, Bob Dylan, who is now 78 years old, already looked 78 years old in 1985.

by Anonymousreply 302July 13, 2019 7:15 PM

[quote] Streisand was snubbed and Madonna asked but was declined.

Those are the best things about it.

by Anonymousreply 303July 13, 2019 7:15 PM

I have flatulence with more musical quality than this song.

by Anonymousreply 304July 13, 2019 7:17 PM

[quote]I guess I'm the Ingram-Stan. Honestly, I'm not even that much of a fan. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that someone who lived through the 80s and listened to pop music isn't familiar with his songs even if you don't know his name.

The point is not knowing his name, tho.

I'm familiar with a lot of songs written by people whom I've never heard of. That's not really the issue.

by Anonymousreply 305July 13, 2019 7:19 PM

Cyndi Lauper looked fucking ridiculous with the yellow and orange hair and all the stupid jewelry. The others must've been looking at her sideways like "what an attention whore."

by Anonymousreply 306July 13, 2019 7:24 PM

That was her entire thing, though, R306. At the time, she was all "So Unusual".

by Anonymousreply 307July 13, 2019 7:29 PM

Sheila E was probably thinking “look at me, papito. I’m BIG TIME now!”

Little did she know that by ‘88 or so her record sales would tank and she’d be back like she started, a touring percussionist for other bands.

by Anonymousreply 308July 13, 2019 7:30 PM

It's easy to see why Madonna outlasted Cyndi Lauper. Lauper was just fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 309July 13, 2019 7:30 PM

[quote]By your own list, he was a two-hit wonder apparently.

Well, if number one hits are your criteria, then that's two more than these nobodies: Willie Nelson, Al Jarreau, Bruce Springsteen, Steve Perry, Bob Dylan.

And one more than these nobodies: Tina Turner, Kenny Loggins, Kim Carnes.

And the same number as his fellow nobodies: Kenny Rogers, Cyndi Lauper

by Anonymousreply 310July 13, 2019 7:47 PM

*applause*

Love you R310.

by Anonymousreply 311July 13, 2019 7:58 PM

New Wave was my personal preference for music at the time. I was still aware of James Ingram.

by Anonymousreply 312July 13, 2019 8:06 PM

Did I miss Cyndi's or Huey's or Kim's sets at Live Aid on July 13, 1985?

"People of the world: NOW I KNOW YOU'RE MINE!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313July 13, 2019 8:13 PM

For some reason Cyndi Lauper is really liked here on Datalounge. She had a great big voice and no self discipline. She's incredibly pretentious but always used gimmicks to get noticed. She ruined more songs than she enhanced, but I do like her versions of I Drove All Night and Strawberry Fields and Heartaches by the Number. Time After Time is one of the most tedious ballads ever and Cyndi should never dared gone near Marvin Gaye. To think that Cyndi has a Tony for the crap that is Kinky Boots and Sara Bareilles won nothing for Waitress is very sad. (Hamilton) Cyndi was Grammy's Best New Artist of 1985. She keeps working. Why did she always do that hiccup burp thing all the damn time? She sang like she has Tourettes. Annoys the fuck out of me. Her claim to fame is that she had a better voice than Madonna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314July 13, 2019 8:28 PM

It was the greatest night of my career.

by Anonymousreply 315July 13, 2019 8:42 PM

R312, I may have been aware of him at the time. All I'm saying is that I have no memory of him NOW. Or most of his songs. I'm saying he was utterly forgettable, at least in my case.

by Anonymousreply 316July 13, 2019 8:46 PM

So you've told us seven fucking times R316.

by Anonymousreply 317July 13, 2019 8:58 PM

Cyndi's Best New Artist Grammy caused a huge controversy a year later when Whitney Houston was deemed ineligible to be nominated as Best New Artist because, prior to her first album in 1985, she had recorded duets with other artists.

The controversy was because Cyndi had been a member of the band Blue Angel long before she recorded 'She's So Unusual' in 1983.

Many people thought it was racist for singling out Whitney for exclusion with that ruling when the previous year a white woman had been allowed to be nominated as Best New Artist even though she'd already released music years before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318July 13, 2019 9:06 PM

Kim's best song was released in January 1984 as a single.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319July 13, 2019 9:07 PM

R318: a couple of years later Jody Watley won for best new artist which was really a head scratcher. And even though Whitney was a new black female artists she had Clive Davis muscle behind her so it's really strange.

Speaking of Jody Watley, people wonder why she was in the Do They Know song and video, her group Shalamar were way bigger in the U.K. than the were in the U.S. even though they're American.

by Anonymousreply 320July 13, 2019 9:28 PM

Cyndi Lauper was the Best New Artist of 1984, R314. I was the Best New Artist of 1985.

by Anonymousreply 321July 13, 2019 9:30 PM

Cyndi has been reduced to doing Hep-C drug commercials to pay her rent. I guess her Celebrity Apprentice money has run out.

by Anonymousreply 322July 13, 2019 9:38 PM

[quote] Cyndi's Best New Artist Grammy caused a huge controversy a year later when Whitney Houston was deemed ineligible to be nominated as Best New Artist because, prior to her first album in 1985, she had recorded duets with other artists. The controversy was because Cyndi had been a member of the band Blue Angel long before she recorded 'She's So Unusual' in 1983. Many people thought it was racist for singling out Whitney for exclusion with that ruling when the previous year a white woman had been allowed to be nominated as Best New Artist even though she'd already released music years before.

The official wording was that if an artist had any recording credit under their own name, no matter how minor, they were ineligible. It was complete bullshit (and had nothing to do with racism, especially considering Whitney was nominated for several other major awards that year including Album of the Year and Pop Female Vocal, which she won).

Richard Marx also got stung by the same rule two years later when he was deemed ineligible because a song of his had appeared on the Nothing in Common soundtrack a year prior, yet Jody Watley won the same year despite having been one of Shalamar's lead vocalists for 7 years.

Flash forward to the 90s and beyond and you have artists like The Crash Test Dummies being nominated for BNA on their 2nd album and the most egregious example, Shelby Lynne winning the category despite the fact that she was on her 10th album and had been recording for 12 years. The Grammys are the biggest joke ever.

by Anonymousreply 323July 13, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote] Cyndi has been reduced to doing Hep-C drug commercials to pay her rent. I guess her Celebrity Apprentice money has run out.

Cyndi is doing just fine. With all of her pop song royalties combined with her ongoing income from Kinky Boots, playing all over the world, she's set. The woman is 66.

by Anonymousreply 324July 13, 2019 9:45 PM

Shelby Lynne won the Best New Artist Grammy? When. That's hilarious. I love her, but she was never an ingenue.

by Anonymousreply 325July 13, 2019 9:58 PM

R310, even though I despise him and his voice, Willie Nelson had 25 number one hits.

by Anonymousreply 326July 13, 2019 10:04 PM

The Best New Artist Grammy is a well-known curse. Most of the winners faded into obscurity shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 327July 13, 2019 10:06 PM

Not on the Billboard Hot 100, R326. If you want to count number ones on all charts, then we can add a few more number ones for James Ingram too since he hit the top of the R&B and AC charts as well. The point is that James Ingram wasn't some unknown nobody in the 80s, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he was included and featured in WATW. Especially since a few of the people behind the whole thing (Jones, Richie, Rogers) were friends with him and worked and recorded with him.

by Anonymousreply 328July 13, 2019 10:42 PM

We had a great thread that really explained why Cyndi's career stalled and Madonna's career had longevity.

I liked a few of Cyndi's songs, but thought her whole persona and image was irritating and stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329July 13, 2019 10:45 PM

Excuse us R327?

by Anonymousreply 330July 13, 2019 11:34 PM

& Bette, Carpenters, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Tracy Chapman....

by Anonymousreply 331July 13, 2019 11:37 PM

....John Legend, Carrie Underwood, Amy Winehouse, Adele

by Anonymousreply 332July 13, 2019 11:38 PM

[quote] Shelby Lynne won the Best New Artist Grammy? When. That's hilarious. I love her, but she was never an ingenue.

2001. Her first album was released in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 333July 13, 2019 11:42 PM

Amy Winehouse doesn't count. She died. She's also another one who wasn't really a new artist. She won for her 2nd album.

I forgot also that Pearl Jam was deemed ineligible because though they had hit it huge in 1992 with their first album "Ten," it had been released a couple months prior to the cutoff date between 91 and 92.

Five years later Paula Cole won BNA for her 2nd album.

by Anonymousreply 334July 13, 2019 11:45 PM

Yeah Barbra is all over this list..Sorry before we found out he was a pedo freak MJ single-handedly revived the music industry in the eighties,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335July 13, 2019 11:54 PM

Never cared for it much myself. "We are the children"--MJ wishes

by Anonymousreply 336July 13, 2019 11:56 PM

Ha! Even the Spice Girls had a bigger selling album than Babs!

by Anonymousreply 337July 13, 2019 11:57 PM

I think now the best new artist Grammy rule reads it’s the first recording that brings you into the public consciousness. It is ridiculous they’ve played fast and loose with this category for decades.

by Anonymousreply 339July 14, 2019 1:27 AM

I predict Madonna will win Best New Artist next year.

by Anonymousreply 340July 14, 2019 2:59 AM

[quote]Not a single one of those "James Ingraham" songs in that list rings a bell except for "Somewhere Out There"

And apparently, your head is still stuck up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 341July 14, 2019 4:15 PM

R295, see R135 and R137.

by Anonymousreply 342July 14, 2019 4:17 PM

Jody Watley moved to England after leaving Shalamar and recorded two singles, Where The Boys Are and Girls Night Out. She also recorded with Musical Youth and Art of Noise during that time, and dated John Taylor from Duran Duran. She was kind of a big deal in the UK, which is why she was in DTKIC.

by Anonymousreply 343July 14, 2019 4:22 PM

Jody Watley was fabulous. She did some fantastic dance-pop in the late 80s. I still listen to her debut album every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 344July 14, 2019 4:24 PM

Jody, “Where The Boys Are” (1984)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345July 14, 2019 4:30 PM

Jody, “Where The Boys Are” (1984)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346July 14, 2019 4:30 PM

*cone bra

by Anonymousreply 347July 14, 2019 4:31 PM

This nonsensical Africa song was much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348July 14, 2019 5:42 PM

R314 thinks Sara Bareilles is talented. LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 349July 14, 2019 7:16 PM

"Wicked Love" by Sara Bareilles is light years better than anything than Cyndi Lauper ever foisted off onto the public.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350July 14, 2019 7:38 PM

Cyndi and Sara both wrote the music for hit Broadway musicals.

by Anonymousreply 351July 14, 2019 10:36 PM

[quote]Jody Watley moved to England after leaving Shalamar and recorded two singles, Where The Boys Are

Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 352July 14, 2019 10:37 PM

[quote]I wish the Punchy Players would do a takeoff of Judy participating in the We Are the World song. She could take along Liza and Ann Miller for emotional support.

Maybe a GoFundMe to send corn cob holders to needy African children.

by Anonymousreply 353July 14, 2019 10:38 PM

[Quote]Jody Watley moved to England after leaving Shalamar and recorded two singles, Where The Boys Are

Bitch!

(My husband's not gay!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354July 14, 2019 10:41 PM

Sara Bareilles is a very good singer and a versatile songwriter. A trained pianist and semi trained vocalist. She is a very good composer. Cyndi can't read or write music or play instruments. But much like Madonna and Mariah - she has "written" some hit songs. Cyndi is musical, but her Tony Award is a joke. She deserved the Best New Artist of 1985 Grammy Win. Can't imagine she would win anything after than. Best rock vocal for Money Changes Everything or I Drove All Night? Her current level of fame and respect is pretty much where she belongs. Cyndi has done very well with a moderate talent.

by Anonymousreply 355July 14, 2019 10:49 PM

For the 2002 VH-1 Divas Live event, DIVAS LAS VEGAS, the Cyndi Lauper footage was not released on DVD or CD because of record label problems or something.

Cyndi still had a record contract in 2002?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356July 14, 2019 11:06 PM

People may be sick of this song. Sara wrote a song with great rise and fall, complex musical and emotional flow - gorgeously simple sounding, but very hard to sing. It's show specific but close to classic. And no one sings it better than she does.

Her newest album should the most heralded thing because she's a great talent and the songs are wonderfully good. But like Esperanza Spalding and Leon Bridges and a few others, Sara is more quietly successful & hugely respected. She's not the new Carole King but only because she can actually sing. Sara has been a great singer/songwriter/musician/performer for a long time now. One of the most talented artists around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357July 14, 2019 11:06 PM

Is Sara named after Stevie's 1979 blockbuster hit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358July 14, 2019 11:10 PM

Who's the Sara Bareilles loon on this thread and what does that musical equivalent of a fart caught in a whirlwind have to do with the WATW discussion??

by Anonymousreply 359July 14, 2019 11:15 PM

I love that song by Stevie. Wait a minute baby....Sara is a California chick. She could be named after a Fleetwood Mac song. She sings beautifully too. More like Laura Nyro than Stevie though.

OK, enough. Pop music is pop music. Stevie or Sarah are not exactly WATW material. I guess my point is that Cyndi was but only THAT because of her momentary flash. She's pretty over-rated. Except to some elders of the eighties. No one else remembers Cyndi's one hit album.

Sara and Stevie both make great music. I love Stevie Nicks. But Sara Bareilles actually knows how to sing. Same can't be said for Cyndi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360July 14, 2019 11:18 PM

But Stevie DOES have that WATW connection because of "Separate Lives" as discussed way above.

BTW, when WATW was being released, Tina Turner was releasing "Show Some Respect," her fourth single from PRIVATE DANCER (or fifth or sixth single from that album, depending on your country.)

And this was right before "We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)" was about to be released as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361July 14, 2019 11:23 PM

For comparison, here is what Madonna was offering up in Spring 1985 when WATW was released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362July 14, 2019 11:27 PM

Of course because Tina Turner is one of the greatest singers and performers ever, of all time, ever. R361. Rock/Pop/R&B/Blues. She LOVED being able to finally put on her own show. I saw her in a small hot Toronto club when I was 18 in 1984. She was just riding on Let's Stay Together and Steel Claw. A year before she had been doing her vegas-style burned out Ike and Tina revue at the Royal York Hotel. But Tina didn't give a burned out performance - never as far as I know. Tina is THE female Rock and Roll LEGEND. More than Madonna or Stevie, because Turner worked decades to get there. She was a grinder man. And her weariness showed a bit. Then she re-established the pretty and never looked back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363July 14, 2019 11:48 PM

Neither "We Don't Need Another Hero" or "Into the Groove" were nominated for Best Song Oscars, which was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 364July 14, 2019 11:50 PM

I was disappointed that Tina was just a backup singer for Mick Jagger at Live Aid in 1985. At that moment, she was at her complete HEIGHT of fame and much more popular in the then-current public's eyes than the Rolling Stones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365July 14, 2019 11:52 PM

Tina only did Live Aid because Mick asked her to. She was touring at the time and cancelled a show to be there. It was her idea to do State of Shock, as she loved that song.

Madonna was supposed to sing with Sheena Easton and Joan Baez in the WATW finale, but wound up leaving before the end. She pissed some of the artists off backstage by showing up with a huge entourage who wound up shoving some people aside so she could get to the stage.

by Anonymousreply 366July 15, 2019 12:02 AM

As if Madonna would ever perform with Sheena Fucking Easton.

by Anonymousreply 367July 15, 2019 1:46 AM

Huge entourage = bracelet and crucifix wardrobe girls

by Anonymousreply 368July 15, 2019 1:51 AM

How is it possible that Tina Turner became the biggest female singer in the world at the ripe old age of 45? Most young people had never heard of her before she released the Private Dancer album. That's just incredible to me. Can you imagine teens today going crazy over a 45 year old female singer? It just wouldn't happen. Her songs wouldn't even be played on the radio.

I miss how during the 80s, artists in their 30-40s could still have huge careers. And this was when MTV premiered and music videos were all the rage. Tina, Elton, Bowie, Aretha, Patti, Dionne, Barbra, Diana, Billy Joel were older and still just as big as artists in their early 20s. Why can't we go back to that?

by Anonymousreply 369July 15, 2019 1:56 AM

R369, regarding Tina, everybody likes a comeback story, even today.

by Anonymousreply 370July 15, 2019 2:00 AM

r369 I miss that too. Today, most artists won't get top 40 radio play if they're over 30.

by Anonymousreply 371July 15, 2019 2:08 AM

"I wish the Punchy Players would do a takeoff of Judy participating in the We Are the World song."

Judy who?

by Anonymousreply 372July 15, 2019 12:16 PM

Judy Tenuta, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 373July 15, 2019 12:58 PM

How in hell can anyone have lived through the 1980s and not known James Ingram? He was one of the leading male power ballad singers of the decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374July 15, 2019 1:57 PM

James Ingram

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375July 15, 2019 1:58 PM

[quote]I know the lyrics to "Do They Know It's Christmas?" are condescending and white saviour-ish, but it has a charm that's completely absent from "We Are the World".

Musically it's very good, but the lyrics couldn't be more self-satisfied if they tried. They're so bad it's as though they're lampooning the idea of charity songs.

by Anonymousreply 376July 15, 2019 2:15 PM

Lives. Be. Stronger and free.

by Anonymousreply 377July 15, 2019 2:16 PM

How come nobody bothered to learn the lyrics? Everyone is standing there with yards of sheet music in their hands? It's not like any one person is singing the entire song.

by Anonymousreply 378July 15, 2019 2:50 PM

"WHEN WE!"

I don't think Kim needed sheet music.

by Anonymousreply 379July 15, 2019 2:55 PM

Didn't Judy, Liza, Lorna and Joey release a Christmas song to benefit retarded children?

I think it was the inspiration for Do They Know It's Christmas, WATW and Hands Across America.

by Anonymousreply 380July 15, 2019 5:15 PM

[quote] Didn't Judy, Liza, Lorna and Joey release a Christmas song to benefit retarded children?

So it was for Joey's benefit?

by Anonymousreply 381July 15, 2019 5:23 PM

James Ingram also appears as a back up singer on many, many songs. You can usually recognize his trademark 'who-hoo' .

Wish I could manage a vid that highlighted only his back up vocals. I think most people would recognize it even if they never knew who or what it was.

by Anonymousreply 382July 15, 2019 5:50 PM

"Can you imagine teens today going crazy over a 45 year old female singer? It just wouldn't happen. Her songs wouldn't even be played on the radio."

Madonna was still getting radio play when she was 45. (Now.....no)

by Anonymousreply 383July 15, 2019 7:06 PM

Someone called Madame X?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384July 15, 2019 7:35 PM

I asked a friend of mine if they recognized the name James Ingram … they were definitely an 80s kid. She said no, went to google it, saw one of the songs, listened to it for about 5 seconds and slammed it off. "OH god, I HATED that song! I don't remember him because I BLOCKED THAT SHIT FROM MY MEMORY!"

I thought it was hilarious.

I must have blocked him too, because his songs are utter crap.

by Anonymousreply 385July 16, 2019 12:50 AM

If someone told me five years ago there'd be a James Ingram Troll on DL, I would've laughed in their face.

by Anonymousreply 386July 16, 2019 1:01 AM

Funny moment at 23:45 when James Ingram flubs his line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387July 16, 2019 1:14 AM

All this talk about James Ingram has piqued my interest. I've listened to some of his songs on YouTube; I don't see anything thing particularly bad about his songs; just kind of bland, maybe. LInda Ronstadt must have liked him; she did a duet with him, "Somewhere Out There", some song from a Disney movie, I think.

by Anonymousreply 388July 16, 2019 1:57 AM

Bland and boring, but over-played to the point they grate, and thus many people have apparently blocked him from their memory.

It's why nobody knows his name today.

by Anonymousreply 389July 16, 2019 2:20 AM

I wouldn't be expecting any new material. Linda Ronstadt has Parkinsons' and can no longer sing so a duet is out.

And he is dead after all.

by Anonymousreply 390July 16, 2019 2:31 AM

^ Same with Ronstadt. And she had a lot of hits, but nobody can figure out why. She could sing but her voice was clumsy, blaring, bland AND boring. She's before my time, but totally forgotten now. I've never heard of Kim Carnes or Hall & Oates either but I recognize some of their songs.

by Anonymousreply 391July 16, 2019 2:32 AM

When Ingram died earlier this year, there was a pretty positive thread about him here. He must have at least a few DL fans.

by Anonymousreply 392July 16, 2019 2:33 AM

Ugh that duet from An American Tale. Talk about awful songs. Makes WATW look like Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

by Anonymousreply 393July 16, 2019 2:34 AM

James Ingram was well-known in the 80s-90s. He and Peabo Bryson were on lots of songs back then. He was the equivalent of John Legend today.

by Anonymousreply 394July 16, 2019 2:36 AM

[quote]LInda Ronstadt must have liked him; she did a duet with him, "Somewhere Out There", some song from a Disney movie, I think.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 395July 16, 2019 2:36 AM

I wonder why Dolly Parton wasn't asked to be on the song? She was huge back then.

by Anonymousreply 396July 16, 2019 2:39 AM

You still hear Hall & Oates' songs all the time.

by Anonymousreply 397July 16, 2019 2:43 AM

"She could sing but her voice was clumsy, blaring, bland AND boring. She's before my time, but totally forgotten now."

You must be totally deaf or a complete idiot, because Linda Ronstadt's singing voice was NEVER "clumsy, blaring, bland AND boring." And she's not "totally forgotten now." She's been in the news recently due to her honest about having Parkinson's disease and she still has a great many fans.

by Anonymousreply 398July 16, 2019 2:55 AM

I would say Linda Ronstadt isn't known to younger people like others from that era are, like Stevie Nicks.

by Anonymousreply 399July 16, 2019 3:01 AM

Beethoven did it better

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400July 16, 2019 5:06 AM

was Lindsay Ronstadt the other girl in Fleetwood Mac?

by Anonymousreply 401July 16, 2019 4:08 PM

No that was Christie McNichol. Lindsay Ronstadt was a backup singer/groupie for the Eagles.

by Anonymousreply 402July 16, 2019 4:16 PM

No, R402. It was Kristy McVie.

by Anonymousreply 403July 16, 2019 5:27 PM

WATW is a terrible, schmaltzy POS of an elevator music song. DTKIC has white savior lyrics but is a better song in general. Sun City is the best of all of them. The Canadian one was crap, too.

by Anonymousreply 404July 16, 2019 6:05 PM

Linda Ronstadt doesn’t have legions of fans like Stevie because she kept changing genres. Her rock/pop fans weren’t necessarily going to listen to light opera, mariachi, or whatever Trio was. When she came back to popular music she went the adult contemporary route. She also didn’t have a stage presence like Stevie. Linda sort of stood there.

by Anonymousreply 405July 16, 2019 6:26 PM

Linda Ronstadt was no James Ingram.

by Anonymousreply 406July 16, 2019 6:37 PM

What about Ashanti?

by Anonymousreply 407July 16, 2019 6:40 PM

They couldn't have a hair and makeup artist on call for the video to DTKIC? Or were they intentionally making a statement looking like they rolled in unwashed? Some of them, yikes. Boy George and Jody Watley looked good.

Also, it's lacking real star power. Almost all of the giants of British music are absent. Thankfully, they got Bowie to do a spoken word intro for the B side.

by Anonymousreply 408July 16, 2019 7:07 PM

The Brits looked like they'd all just rolled out of bed and showed up to the studio hungover and unshowered.

by Anonymousreply 409July 16, 2019 7:09 PM

Personally I liked the soul vibe the We Are The World release had. Don't You Know It's Christmas was more New Wave.

by Anonymousreply 410July 16, 2019 7:33 PM

In addition to singing on "Separate Lives" in Early 1985 instead of being on WATW, Stevie was also writing several dark, depressing songs about the breakup of her true love affair with Joe Walsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411July 16, 2019 7:45 PM

R402: Linda Ronstadt wasn't a back up singer for the Eagles, she put them together and gave them they're break. Sheesh......

by Anonymousreply 412July 16, 2019 8:29 PM

James Ingram may not be remembered today, but his music was played all the time on pop stations in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 413July 16, 2019 8:57 PM

"She also didn’t have a stage presence like Stevie. Linda sort of stood there."

Well, she certainly had more dignity than Stevie, twirling around in her chiffon dresses and shawls and six inch platform heels. Lindsey Buckingham, enraged at Stevie over something, did a cruel but very accurate imitation of Stevie onstage by draping his jacket over his head and twirling in Stevie-like fashion.

by Anonymousreply 414July 16, 2019 9:24 PM

Stevie was pure showbiz, and had a total "pop culture" persona. You can't compare her to Linda, who had a rather dour persona and just showed up onstage in her street clothes.

by Anonymousreply 415July 16, 2019 9:25 PM

You know, I wonder why nobody's ever repeated the super-all-star stunt of "We Are the World", or the massive worldwide extravaganza of Live Aid. It's been decades, and celebrities are thirstier than ever these days!

I suppose I can understand the latter more than the former, nobody alive today has the attention span to watch an all-day concert.

by Anonymousreply 416July 16, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote]I suppose I can understand the latter more than the former, nobody alive today has the attention span to watch an all-day concert.

IIRC, on the day Live Aid took place in the US is was something like 102 degrees. You'd have lawsuits galore today from snowflakes who NEARLY DIED because of the heat!

by Anonymousreply 417July 16, 2019 9:57 PM

There have been Tons of all-star charity singles since the days of WATW. They just haven't been any good, AND the public is just over them. They were done to death in the 80's. Starving children, global warming, Pulse, tsunami aid, ferry aid, AIDS aid, IBS Aid, George Clooney Needs a Hobby aid.... There was even a WATW25. No one cares. They're tacky and full of nobodies and has beens. (Particularly the hysterically embarrassing WATW25.

by Anonymousreply 418July 16, 2019 10:32 PM

Linda was always boring and slow.

I remember Dolly Parton telling her once, "Hurry up, bitch! I got things to do!"

by Anonymousreply 419July 16, 2019 10:36 PM

Linda would have sounded good on Cyndi's line though. Well, well well well....She had a great big voice and a nice crescendo. Pretty. But it would have taken her a week. Hurry up bitch!

by Anonymousreply 420July 16, 2019 10:39 PM

There's no novelty in doing another Live Aid, though they tried twice in the 2000's with Live 8 and Al Gore's Live Earth. Both were very underwhelming to say the least.

It's like when they try and recreate Woodstock every so many years. You can't top the original no matter how hard you try. It was just of a time and a place in pop culture history that sadly doesn't exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 421July 16, 2019 10:39 PM

Wasn't Madonna at Live 8?

by Anonymousreply 422July 17, 2019 12:35 AM

Speaking of Woodstock 1998...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423July 17, 2019 12:37 AM

Excited Lesbian on the front row of Stevie's Woodstock 1998 concert:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424July 17, 2019 12:42 AM

Do Lesbians scream like that at a Madonna concert?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425July 17, 2019 12:43 AM

R401, R402 & R403 = The Kaplan Brothers. And they should all be shot. Good God.

by Anonymousreply 426July 17, 2019 2:20 AM

I always thought it was odd that Madonna was not included. "We Are The World" was recorded on January 28, 1985. The previous week, Madonna had just finished a 6-week run at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart with "Like a Virgin". And the following week, the album "Like a Virgin" would hit #1 on the Billboard album chart.

The previous year (1984) she had 2 Top-10 singles ("Borderline" and "Lucky Star"), 1 Top-20 single ("Holiday"), and her debut album "Madonna" reached the Top-10 on the Billboard album chart.

And yet that wasn't enough to get an invitation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427July 17, 2019 6:09 AM

Of course Madonna should have been there. She was no more a famewhore than Diana, MJ or Cyndi Lauper. But that is hindsight talking. Madonna was viewed as a slutty grasping material girl of little talent back then. How times have changed?

by Anonymousreply 428July 17, 2019 8:15 AM

What was the last big charity single?

by Anonymousreply 429July 17, 2019 11:57 AM

Not even the legendary Kate Bush could save this dreck from 1987.

Boy George did all of these, huh? Coked right on outta his mind!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430July 17, 2019 1:11 PM

A lot of blind black men in that video.

by Anonymousreply 431July 17, 2019 1:38 PM

r427 they didn't want Madonna there because they thought she was just a dance act and would be over in a year.

by Anonymousreply 432July 17, 2019 2:19 PM

Madonna would never have wanted to be part of an ensemble. She would never have shared the spotlight, especially with all the musically superior artists would have had to perform with. If she had, it would have been obvious how minimally talented she was.

by Anonymousreply 433July 17, 2019 8:48 PM

They told the stars to leave their egos at the door, so Madonna sat outside all night.

by Anonymousreply 434July 17, 2019 9:14 PM

At best, she would've gotten Kim Carnes' two word solo.

by Anonymousreply 435July 17, 2019 9:20 PM

[quote]At best, she would've gotten Kim Carnes' two word solo.

How do you think I got that solo? Madge turned it down saying, "I'm better than two words, you fuckers!" So I stepped out of the chorus and said, "I'll do it."

And the rest is music history.

by Anonymousreply 436July 17, 2019 9:26 PM

[quote]At best, she would've gotten Kim Carnes' two word solo.

At best, she might have been stuck in the chorus between Bette Midler and LaToya.

by Anonymousreply 437July 17, 2019 10:28 PM

Thanks to this stupid fucking thread, I've had the chorus of this terrible song randomly going through my head at random times for the last several days.

I hate you all.

by Anonymousreply 438July 18, 2019 12:02 AM

"We Are the World" spent 4 weeks at #1 on the Billboard pop singles chart.

The song that knocked it out of the #1 spot:

"Crazy for You" by Madonna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439July 18, 2019 6:07 AM

The thing about James Ingram is that while he was a huge recording artist, he wasn't a sex symbol. Girls didn't have James Ingram posters on their walls, I have no idea what his personality was like. I remember all of his hit songs because while I was into rock more than pop music, I still heard pop music all the time and he was huge. Earworm tunes.

I don't know if they could do it as easily today because so many of the "singing stars" are created in the studio. They don't really sing. I guess they could fix it in the studio later and just fake it for the video. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 440July 18, 2019 7:32 AM

There was just no fucking justice for Kim Carnes!!!

by Anonymousreply 441July 18, 2019 12:26 PM

Kim's Summer 1985 single, her second from BARKING AT AIRPLANES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442July 18, 2019 1:46 PM

Followed by Yabbadabbado.

by Anonymousreply 443July 18, 2019 2:46 PM

How did Kim Carney get to be a singing star after the age of 50, with a three note range?

by Anonymousreply 444July 18, 2019 5:20 PM

After watching Leaving Neverland, I can't even look at pics or videos Michael Jackson anymore.

by Anonymousreply 445July 18, 2019 5:34 PM

It's a shame Linda Ronstadt wasn't part of "We Are the World".

This is one of my favorite 80s duets. It went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. It won the Grammy for "Song of the Year", and was nominated for an Oscar.

"Somewhere Out There" - Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446July 19, 2019 5:28 AM

Ingram had BETTER duets with Patti Austin, Anita Baker, Dolly Parton and Michael McDonald to name a few. He was the male Peabo Bryson.

by Anonymousreply 447July 19, 2019 7:49 AM

R438 I thought it was just me!

🎵We are the ones who make a brighter day, so let's start giving 🎵

by Anonymousreply 448July 19, 2019 1:33 PM

We demand royalties for inspiring this song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449July 19, 2019 1:40 PM

[quote]He was the male Peabo Bryson.

Who the fuck is Peabo Bryson?!?

by Anonymousreply 450July 19, 2019 2:11 PM

Seriously? You don't know who PEABO BRYSON is R440?

God, the cultural illiteracy is off the charts here.

PEABO BRYSON is a cartoon dog who hung out with a kid named Sherman.

Gees.

by Anonymousreply 451July 19, 2019 3:07 PM

Peabo Bryson was a contemporary of James Ingram. He also sand ballads, and did a lot of duets with female singers. His most well-known duets are "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" with Roberta Flack, "Beauty and the Beast" with Celine Dion and "A Whole New World" with Regina Belle.

by Anonymousreply 452July 19, 2019 4:19 PM

Silky tenor Peabo with the magnificent Celine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453July 19, 2019 6:06 PM

Ronstadt at the time was doing her Nelson Riddle albums, pretty far from the contemporary pop landscape of most of these people. She seemed totally off the radar, even though those albums sold well. Even Dylan was getting more MTV play than her.

She also had just gotten a lot of flak for playing Sun City.

by Anonymousreply 454July 19, 2019 6:17 PM

Peabo Bryson and James Ingram should have done a duet together. Like the 3 Tenors did in later years, they could have been the 2 R&Bers.

by Anonymousreply 455July 19, 2019 6:35 PM

I thought Peabo and James were the same person.

by Anonymousreply 456July 19, 2019 8:21 PM

[quote]Peabo Bryson and James Ingram should have done a duet together.

Hey, don't forget about me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457July 19, 2019 8:28 PM

lmao r446!!!

by Anonymousreply 458July 19, 2019 8:48 PM

Trying to explain James Ingram again, like r440 said he wasn't a sex symbol although he was quite handsome he wasn't a teen idol. Back then, adult contemporary artists sold a lot of records but they were not going to be remembered as part of 80s culture like say Duran Duran. And also in the early to mid 80s artists can still get by on pure talent. And other artists want to work with them. That diminished through the late 80s greatly as stars who look great in videos take over. And then we get Milli Vanilli.

by Anonymousreply 459July 19, 2019 10:45 PM

At least I've heard of Jeffrey Osbourne.

by Anonymousreply 460July 19, 2019 11:38 PM

I could name only one Jeffrey Osborne song off the top of my head: "On the Wings of Love". After a little digging, I recognized "Stay With Me Tonight" and "You Should Be Mine (The Woo Woo Song)" as well.

I'm now convinced that James Ingram/Peabo Bryson/Jeffrey Osborne were all the same person.

by Anonymousreply 461July 20, 2019 12:16 AM

Oh, shut up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462July 20, 2019 1:10 AM

This was better. Plus, they had the guts to call out Reagan

by Anonymousreply 463July 20, 2019 2:41 AM

oops, should have posted this link at r463

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464July 20, 2019 2:41 AM

[QUOTE] The Brits looked like they'd all just rolled out of bed and showed up to the studio hungover and unshowered.

They did. I think one of the Bananarama girls said it in an interview, she said it was early in the morning and most of them had to slept much and most were hungover.

by Anonymousreply 465July 23, 2019 7:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!