Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cindy Lauper - did Madonna steal her career?

Cindy was about to become THE big thing when Madonna entered the scene. I feel she would have becone what Madonna became if Madge didn't, you know, freakin steal the scene and her career.

And more importantly - is she able to make a comfortable living off the 'Time After Time' royalties alone?

by Anonymousreply 176March 19, 2018 6:05 PM

Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2017 2:16 AM

We've had quite a few threads about this over the years. It seems it was all Cyndi's own fault.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2017 2:18 AM

I think we've discussed this before. Cyndi has acknowleged that she never had the single-minded drive Madge had, didn't work the biz the way she did, and wasn't prepared to enter public celeb life the way she did. She was just happy to play her songs with her band, enjoy her fans, and pay her bills at it.

Cyndi is a class act who has never said anything unkind about Madonna, only that they are very, very different women.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2017 2:18 AM

No. Madonna's "Madonna" was released BEFORE Cindy's "She's So Unusual."

I was there.

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2017 2:25 AM

If anyone has a gripe it's probably Grace Jones.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2017 2:27 AM

When I was a teen at the time , yes they were new on the scene at the same time. But even I knew Madonna would go the distance. ANd I even remember talking w/my cousins back in the 80s about both of these ladies...

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2017 2:28 AM

Lauper's persona was just too weird for long term success in mainstream music.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2017 2:28 AM

What R7 said, plus Cyndi always seemed kind of fake? "I'm so nice and unusual" but then secretly bitchy behind the scenes? I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2017 2:30 AM

R4...true but Madonna's album was on shelves for a couple of years before it garnered a hit song. Madonna was not an overnight success.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2017 2:30 AM

It’s Cyndi, OP, you silly floozy.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2017 2:32 AM

The American public wanted a slut. Not a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2017 2:37 AM

"She's So Unusual" was released when Cyndi was 30… so she was off to a bit of a late start...

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2017 2:40 AM

And then on the second album that weird crap with the wrestlers....blech.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2017 2:41 AM

Cyndi’s weird outfits can only last so long. Lokok at gaga repeating cyndi’s footsteps

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2017 2:42 AM

OP, No. Even at the beginning, they were totally different. I remember Tori Amos describing Lady Gaga as a "meteor" around the time of Bad Romance. It was a great description and I think she and Cyndi Lauper both have that in common. They were both really huge one minute and expected to be long-lasting hitmakers, but their success turned out to be a fluke. Both of them seemed to gravitate towards weirdness and doing what is great art (in their minds, at least) versus what is entertaining. Madonna has always been more in-tune to what is popular than Lauper (well, at least until 2005 or so).

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2017 2:45 AM

She was held back by her heartbreaking psoriasis.

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2017 2:46 AM

Cyndi is 3/4 of the way to an EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2017 2:48 AM

Additionally, if Madonna did steal some of the thunder that Lauper had, then Adele did the same thing to Lady Gaga. Both Madonna and Adele had records before they really hit it big, but once they hit it big, it's like they basically wiped out the other female artists who were popular around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2017 2:48 AM

Cyndi is closer to Deborah Harry than to Madge.

Blondie paid their dues in the NYC club scene for a couple of years before they exploded with Parallel Lines. By 1978, Debbie was already 31 or 32. She didn't release solo material until 1981, and those recordings seem driven more by her impulses to work with certain producers/musicians than to predict any curve in what would sell.

As discussed all over DL, Debbie was also sidelined in the mid-80s by caring for BF Chris Stein and his autoimmune disease. Like Cyndi, she's ambitious, but never single-minded to the degree Madge has always been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2017 2:58 AM

PS: Debbie and Cyndi have toured together over the years. Can anyone confirm that they're buddies?

I'd like to think that they are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2017 3:01 AM

PPS: I stumbled upon this one! My guess is late 80's/early 90s.

Deb and Cyn support reproductive rights/NOW together!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2017 3:05 AM

"Cindy Lauper - did Madonna steal her career?"

You guys make me laugh so much!

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2017 3:05 AM

Yep. And she's also the reason why Angelyne and La Toya Jackson aren't the huge massive artists they should've been too.

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2017 3:10 AM

cyndi has talent. but madonna has the hutzpah to hone in on trends and steal them from folks. madonna is the penultimate social climber...she was just climbing the popularity charts instead of social circles.

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2017 3:12 AM

Lauper got locked into that goofy personna and then all the stuff with wrestlers was odd. Not that Madonna had much of a film career but she was more castable than Lauper. (although Lauper did win an Emmy for a Mad About You episode.)

Her later albums never produced many hits. Madge was still cranking them out for much longer.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2017 3:14 AM

I think Cyndi Lauper wanted to be popular, but she also wanted to make a certain kind of music. Her first album was full of hits, her second album had some, and then her third album didn't do well at all. While Madonna was always laser-focused on doing what she needed to do to be famous and popular.

I don't think Madonna ever thought she was trying to create great art. That's what kept her commercially successful for so long.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2017 3:17 AM

Amen R26.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2017 3:18 AM

I never ever understood the wrestlers, And now she does nothing w wrestling, was a beaux a wrestler or a manager?

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2017 3:23 AM

I agree that Cyndi just took the wrong turn for the True Colors album. (Something Madonna largely managed to avoid for 20 years, except for Erotica.) Cyndi stayed weird when she needed to tone it down. 1986 was culturally a lot different than 1983. More conservative. Bruce Hornsby instead of Culture Club.

Except for True Colors and Change of Heart, the album is blah and she seemed so out of touch. A Night to Remember is much, much better. But it was too late. (And, even then, she was too outside the mainstream to garner more than one hit.)

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2017 3:40 AM

that guy who was her manager/boyfriend at the time was into the wrestlers and thought it was funny.

I've read she thinks that whole thing was a mistake.

I can remember as a kid wanting to see her theme to the Goonies on MTV but you always had to sit thru like five minutes of wrestler stuff before the song started.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2017 3:46 AM

"All Through the Night" was my favorite of her songs. To this day, I still listen to it over and over. Oddly, she never released a music video (I believe that it was just concert footage or something). I was really young when she and Madonna hit in the early 80's (3 yoa) so I can not add any anecdotal knowledge here. Generally speaking, Cyndi did seem much less mainstream than Madonna. Her videos and production lack polish and almost appear to be filmed on a camcorder by a distant uncle. She was cute in a very counter culture sot of way, but never had Madonna's looks or sex appeal. There is no shade in that, but I do see where she was more of a Lana Del Rey vs. a Katy Perry if that makes any sense (well, Lana is gorgeous - so I am referencing music here). Looking back, she has achieved far more critical "artist recognition" than Madonna ever will and perhaps rightfully so.. I love both artists, but in different ways.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2017 3:59 AM

What set Madonna apart from Cyndi in the 80s was her sex appeal.

Thought Cyndi is a more talented musician, I think Madonna is more intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2017 4:04 AM

Cyndi is definitely more talented. Listen to the last 10 seconds of Calm Inside the Storm. Then listen to Lucky Star.

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2017 4:09 AM

Both Madonna and Lady Gaga studied fame like they were getting a masters in it. Madonna made it easier for Lady Gaga by putting together a master playbook, step by step of what you had to do. Lady Gaga just managed to do what Madonna did, by studying her and Warhol, in about a quarter of the time and is as practically well known and as wealthy. Both these ladies wanted to be mega famous and any kind of art was on the back burner.

Cyndi, I am sure, saw herself as an artist navigating a pop culture world. Madonna is a pop culture shaman who grasped on to any art that would make her more famous. Madonna was desperate for fame, by any means necessary and she got it. She just came around at a time when caring about fame was declasse and you had to pretend you were a true artist. Lady Gaga came about at a time when wanting fame was not only OK, it had become performance art.

A truer equivalent would be Pink is the new Cyndi Lauper. Two woman stuck in a look that they can never completely shake. Once Madonna was done with one persona, she shed it like a skin and became something else, always keeping her audience guessing. People were more excited about what Madonna would become just as much as what her new music would sound like. That's really what kept her relevant for so much longer. That and constantly forcing herself in our face by latching on to whoever was most relevant at the time and sucking the lifeblood out of them - from Anthony Kiedes to Britney Spears (literally, you can almost see the moment Britney's spirit left her during that Madonna VMA performance) on up to Nicki Minaj to the Fat Jewish. Madonna knows you always have to be where the light is shining the brightest.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2017 4:16 AM

[quote]I don't think Madonna ever thought she was trying to create great art. That's what kept her commercially successful for so long.

I don't think that's true. Many of Madonna's videos and concert vignettes are works of art. And her musical style has evolved over time, some of which, in hindsight seem ahead of their time, compared to what was being played on top 40 radio. So there's definitely a drive to create good art, if not great art.

Cyndi Lauper acknowledged that what Madonna had that she didn't was business smarts, marketing skills, and a knack for manipulating the press. Cyndi shied away from all that and left the business part to her managers and record company and ended up fighting them when she realized they didn't have her best interest in mind. Madonna shrewdly surrounded herself with people who would do her bidding, kept them in check, and took an active part in managing her own career.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2017 4:20 AM

...speaking of Debs Harry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2017 4:26 AM

DAMN R34 - that was amazingly well written and rings true IMO. All artists crave some level of fame, attention, financial reward and celebrity. Only a meager few place that drive as their defining purpose above all else. In the art world, Damien Hirst comes to mind..

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2017 4:29 AM

"I don't think that's true. Many of Madonna's videos and concert vignettes are works of art. And her musical style has evolved over time, some of which, in hindsight seem ahead of their time, compared to what was being played on top 40 radio."

Wrong. Every Madonna video was a copy of some other artist's great work. Not that this is a bad thing. But the ideas were not original to her. And even the sound of her music was based on the producers she chose to work with. It was like picking out stocks on the stock market. She has an great ear for emerging talent when it's price is low. She was able to spot a great sound from somebody relatively unknown to the broad world and use them before anyone else did. She did not originate the sound, she popularized it.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2017 4:31 AM

Okay, "Material Girl" is ripping off "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," "Express Yourself" is ripping off "Metropolis" and "Bad Girl" is ripping off "Looking for Mr. Goodbar." But what about, say, "Burning Up"? "La Isla Bonita"? "I'll Remember"? "Don't Tell Me"? What are those videos ripping off?

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2017 4:37 AM

Into the Groove the song, was almost completely original.

Guys did not want to fuck Cyndi...

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2017 4:41 AM

Just one example... there are many.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 7, 2017 4:42 AM

here you go R39. And if you can't find your exact examples there, there is plenty of proof that some original of each of those concepts probably exists somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 7, 2017 4:49 AM

All artists copy. They are either inspired by works created before them, or they outright steal. Pablo Picasso himself famously said, "Good artist copy. Great artists steal." It doesn't make the art any less worthy or less great. My earlier comment about some of Madonna's videos and concert vignettes being works of art still stand, regardless if they were copied or inspired by the past or if they were done with collaborators.

by Anonymousreply 43December 7, 2017 4:57 AM

Again I'm not saying it's a bad thing necessarily. I'm just saying you can't give Madonna credit for those ideas. You can give her credit for a lot of other things.

Here's the difference. A true artist finds a muse to create. A mega star becomes a muse to inspire true artist. The goal for someone mega famous is to become big enough that true artist are dying to create and work with you and you are able to control their output. Cyndi being and artist and Madonna being a star. The problem with being an artist is that you exhaust your own personal well of creativity, it burns out. If you are a muse, you are constantly evolving feeding off of those creating for you. You never tax your own creativity actually creating. You use it to illuminate other's work - which is much more efficient for a long lasting career.

Trust me, the person who wrote "When I get lost in space I can return to this place, 'cause, you're the one," is not the same person who wrote, "If you don't like my attitude, you can fuck off. Just go to Texas, isn't that where they golf?"

Actually one of my prouder moments was when I was able to track down one of Madonna's writers on twitter. In the Ptown cemetery, there is a headstone with that exact quote from Madonna's "Nothing Fails" written on it. It was left by a guy who's lover had died from AIDS and this is where he comes to be with him. I took a picture of the headstone and sent it to the writer on Twitter. He was actually pretty moved by it - someone choosing his words to mark their final resting place. That is an artist. Madonna would probably just see a fan.

by Anonymousreply 44December 7, 2017 5:01 AM

"Sky Fits Heaven" was one of the more interesting tracks on RAY OF LIGHT.

I'm curious how much they paid Max Blagg. At least, on some level, someone acknowledged that this was plagiarism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 7, 2017 5:02 AM

Love the Blondie clip. That’s one of the Harry-Stein compositions on the new album. Fantastic drumming by Clem as usual!

by Anonymousreply 46December 7, 2017 5:15 AM

[quote]Trust me, the person who wrote "When I get lost in space I can return to this place, 'cause, you're the one," is not the same person who wrote, "If you don't like my attitude, you can fuck off. Just go to Texas, isn't that where they golf?"

Written by the same person who wrote, "You were my lesson I had to learn / I was your fortress you had to burn / Pain is a warning that something's wrong / I pray to God that it won't be long." Her songwriting partner Rick Nowles raved about Madonna's "deep, poetic, and intelligent" lyric writing. I think as with most singer-songwriters, sometimes you come up with winners, other times you come up with real clunkers. "I Love New York," with its mad-bad-glad rhymes, is so puerile that sometimes I think it's meant to be satire.

by Anonymousreply 47December 7, 2017 5:37 AM

But who has the stinkier pussy? Who????

by Anonymousreply 48December 7, 2017 6:00 AM

The Power of Goodbye video, "inspired" by Humoresque.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 7, 2017 6:12 AM

Cyndi killed her career by refusing to spell her name correctly. Back then things like this counted a lot.

by Anonymousreply 50December 7, 2017 6:28 AM

Cyndi wrote a hit Broadway show. She's hardly worrying about True Colors royalties.

Some people are too stupid to post.

by Anonymousreply 51December 7, 2017 7:30 AM

R9, Madonna's album was on the shelves 3 months when Lucky Star was released. What a dope you are.

by Anonymousreply 52December 7, 2017 7:57 AM

I can't envision a teenager in the 1980s masturbating to an image of Cyndi Lauper.

by Anonymousreply 53December 7, 2017 8:01 AM

Come on now...Madonna is a world-class pimp.

Think about it. . .

by Anonymousreply 54December 7, 2017 8:28 AM

I thought Cyndi was related to Capt. Lou Albino.

by Anonymousreply 55December 7, 2017 9:10 AM

R26 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 56December 7, 2017 9:54 AM

Audiences are sick of Madonna not performing her old hits.

Audiences are sick of Cyndi performing 'Time After Time' over and over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 57December 7, 2017 9:58 AM

Who'd fuck Cyndi Lauper?

by Anonymousreply 58December 7, 2017 10:24 AM

Lauper lives with her family at The Apthorp on Broadway and 79th Street. It's a gorgeous building that is known for not having the most spectacular views. It would be more prestigious were it on Riverside Drive or CPW.

She must be doing quite well. She wrote the lyrics to Kinky Boots, which had been a smash success and is still running on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 59December 7, 2017 10:45 AM

She couldn't pull off the crazy goofy persona. Poor marketing image.

by Anonymousreply 60December 7, 2017 1:00 PM

Cyndi seems to have a baby-voice, not that I'm a fan of Madonna. They're both kinda light pop divas. Hell, Kelly Clarkson and some of the country girls - Shania, Reba, etc. - sing rings around those Kim Kardashians of the music world (and I don't pay attention to the stupid narcissistic awards). Art is art - and neither one of them is art.

by Anonymousreply 61December 7, 2017 1:07 PM

There is ONE thing I will NEVER forgive Madonna for...

Making non-artists like Britney Spears possible.

by Anonymousreply 62December 7, 2017 2:14 PM

Madonna is in a league with Elvis and the Beatles. Cyndi had the typical 80s/early 90s career of two hit albums, than a lesser hit then fade out.

Such as the Bangles, Debbie Gibson, Taylor Dayne, Expose and so on.

She did herself no favours with getting into the wrestling thing and become a "joke" rather and a serious artist, but she would likely have faded out. She didn't have the team of PR like Janet Jackson nor the voice of Whitney or Mariah.

She had a typical run, and it's no more fair to compare her to Madonna than to ask why Olivia Newton-John and Diana Ross faded so fast after 1984. They had some of their biggest hits in the 80s but got pushed aside for the new. (Indeed both ONJ and Diana Ross had their two biggest hits each in the 80s)

by Anonymousreply 63December 7, 2017 2:18 PM

Madonna and Cyndi are both half Italian. Madonna on her dad's side and Cyndi on her mom's side.

by Anonymousreply 64December 8, 2017 1:50 AM

Cyndi was so talented, but she had no fucking clue how to present or market herself. That exaggerated accent, her goofy-dumb persona and, as several people mentioned, that stupid association with wrestling. You just couldn't take her seriously, which means short shelf life. Whatever you want to say about Madonna, no one doubted for a second she wasn't sharp and savvy. Even when she was tarted up to 11, you knew she was laser-focused.

Cyndi Lauper at the VMAs in 1984. WTF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 8, 2017 2:12 AM

R65 Yeah I watch Cyndi's interviews and she comes across as a bimbo a majority of the time. It's kind of disappointing, I don't think she's dumb, just lacking in media training.

Madonna says dumb things from time to time, but she is a smart person overall and is able to articulate herself well.

by Anonymousreply 66December 8, 2017 4:04 AM

Madonna had plenty of ditzy moments, but she knew when she needed to come across well. Here she is after her first major image overhaul accepting an award from a "respectable" film set (ha ha). She may be slutty, but she's no bimbo.

And LOL, she and Tina Turner were up against Barbara Mandrell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 8, 2017 5:15 AM

Both these women started their pop careers in their late twenties which is unheard of now. Pop stars start at 16/18 now and are coming from disney shows or simon cowell.

by Anonymousreply 68December 8, 2017 5:34 AM

Madonna ALWAYS mesmerized. We all knew that she was no great vocal talent. She was never a Whitney and she never tried to be. She was a STAR from her first public moments however and she literally built a franchise on that quality alone. Her looks were a plus but she worked her ass off to make the best of what she had...and made it that much better. She was no great singer, but in the era before auto-tune - she eeked out the best vocals that were possibly capable and then some. Her domineering yet playfully sexy personality must have been a stretch to "live" 24/7 but she did that just that. She avoided drugs and booze yet acted as if she partied 24/7 and fucked just as often (she didn't). Like a chameleon, she reinvented herself constantly and set trends before anyone was aware that we needed new ones. I don't care what she stole from who - she was both a magician and a genius. Musicians do not come any savvier than Madonna. Cyndi was cute for a moment and somewhat talented - perhaps more than Madonna from a songwriting perspective. Again, she was no great vocal talent either. What she lacked was that "It factor" - Madonna had it and she did not.

by Anonymousreply 69December 8, 2017 6:00 AM

[quote] Lauper lives with her family at The Apthorp on Broadway and 79th Street.

On 74th. It's the most fucked up, legally complicated, dysfunctional apartment building. I wonder how she's managing.

Also the famous continental baths (Bette Miller sang to gay clients there) were in its basement.

by Anonymousreply 70December 8, 2017 7:03 AM

Who's the closest current pop star to 80's madonna? Certainly not swift as that bitch can not move or have any performing ability, she sells albums though. I can't think of anyone miley? Lol, selena, ariana, camila?

by Anonymousreply 71December 8, 2017 7:54 AM

Beyonce is the Madonna of this generation obviously. Both show girls, both chameleons. Although you get the feeling Madonna led her PR machine and Beyonce is being led by one. The era of mega stars like that is pretty much over. In the long run, it's too risky to invest that much behind one person who will eventually crash and burn. Beyonce's has had a great run now, going on 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 72December 10, 2017 5:35 AM

R72, Beyonce is similar to Madonna for sure, but I agree with you in the fact that she certainly is not the brilliant mastermind magician that Madonna was and is. Beyonce is beautiful but hardly sets trends the way that Madonna did. Neither is a phenomenal singer and both are great showman types - so you are completely correct in making the comparison.

by Anonymousreply 73December 10, 2017 5:42 AM

I think there were a variety of factors which gave Madonna the advantage: was too long of a wait between Lauper’s first too albums, the pro wrestling thing made her look ridiculous, her squeaky persona came across as phony, and the material on her third album wasnt promoted hard enough.

by Anonymousreply 74December 10, 2017 5:47 AM

Don't really agree about Beyonce at all. Can't really think of anything by her that really captured the whole of the public's imagination in the same way as Madonna did, some of the things she did with Destiny's Child but that's about it. Madonna was the figure-head of several massive zeitgeist moments in popular culture. I do think that Bey has more authentic talent than Madonna, and is more likable.

by Anonymousreply 75December 10, 2017 5:49 AM

No way Lauper would have gone any further if Madonna hadn't come on the scene. She never had the talent or star appeal to go to the next level. She was more of a one hit wonder that managed to get a few hits. I always picture her standing in front of a trailer park on the rare occasions that I think about her.

by Anonymousreply 76December 10, 2017 5:50 AM

The Apthorp is not on 74th. That's the Ansonia, another cray-cray building.

by Anonymousreply 77December 10, 2017 5:53 AM

Beyonce is over though and 20 year career? She started in 2000. Hasn't had a number one hit on her own, in nearly a decade

by Anonymousreply 78December 10, 2017 6:13 AM

[QUOTE] do think that Bey has more authentic talent than Madonna, and is more likable.

Bey? Lollll

by Anonymousreply 79December 10, 2017 6:18 AM

R78, exactly. I'm amazed how much Beyonce is promoted as being this huge star. She's definiely a star but globally she isn't even very popular and in America, she hasn't even had a number one single since Single Ladies.

by Anonymousreply 80December 10, 2017 7:05 PM

Madonna had a phenomenal commercial career of course, with her David Bowie-like metamorphoses, but her popularity was largely hitched to her creative music videos, which are now passe. Her music was more calculation than execution, and younger people who didn't grow up with the hype are largely not impressed. Lauper's handful of authentic gems may outlast Madonna's torrent of industrial zircons.

by Anonymousreply 81December 10, 2017 7:28 PM

R81, I don't agree with that at all. Madonna's old hits get played on the radio all the time and she is considered an icon even if she is a joke now.

by Anonymousreply 82December 11, 2017 12:24 AM

[quote]Cyndi always seemed kind of fake? "I'm so nice and unusual" but then secretly bitchy behind the scenes?

Are you fucking insane r8? Madonna is one of the biggest cunts of all time. Also Madonna's style was a rip off of the kind of style Cindy wore which was the real "downtown" style at the time. Madge was always a commercial for mainstream fashion, nothing authentic about her and most of it stolen.

by Anonymousreply 83December 11, 2017 12:31 AM

The Cyndi albums after True Colors weren't hits but I could listen to them over and over because I love Cyndi's voice. And most all of the songs are enjoyable to listen to they just aren't hits. I can put on any of her albums and listen all the way through just eating up her voice.

by Anonymousreply 84December 11, 2017 12:37 AM

Well r82 you honestly don't think that most of her early hits are painful to listen to? I do. They are awful unless I'm remembering the music videos that went along with them. The only songs I don't feel that way about are her dance tunes, because I heard them in clubs they stand as fun songs to dance to. Vogue, Deeper and Deeper, Get Into The Groove, Music. Then some slower songs like Live To Tell, I'll Remember, Take A Bow (though the video plays in my head),

by Anonymousreply 85December 11, 2017 12:45 AM

R85, I really don't think so, honestly. There is a reason The Immaculate Collection is her biggest album and the biggest selling compilation album by a solo artist. There isn't a single song on that album that sounds bad.

by Anonymousreply 86December 11, 2017 12:46 AM

R86, Yeah it's because they are all different versions of the hits. So even her major fans who had all her albums would buy it.

by Anonymousreply 87December 11, 2017 12:55 AM

Are they remixes 87?

by Anonymousreply 88December 11, 2017 12:56 AM

Except for 2 new songs, yes, none of the songs are in their original versions.

by Anonymousreply 89December 11, 2017 1:05 AM

Cyndi definitely took too much time off at the height of her career. True Colors didn't come out until '86, which was three years after She's So Unusual. Even though True Colors was a big hit, her momentum had slowed. She didn't change her image at all, and that mattered, she needed to change it up to hold people's interest. The WWF thing was a big mistake, she was a major pop star at the time and doing that wrestling shit was really downmarket for the kind of star she was at the time.

When Madonna first hit the scene, girls all over the country (and other countries) were copying her style, which was really fresh and unique for the times. Nobody wanted to dye their hair bright orange and shave a checkerboard into the side of their head.

Madonna's popularity was due in large part to her dance songs, Cyndi didn't really have any of those.

by Anonymousreply 90December 11, 2017 2:28 AM

[quote]The WWF thing was a big mistake

She never learned.

While Madonna was on the road with her MDNA Tour, Cyndi was doing this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 11, 2017 2:39 AM

As has been said upthread, I can't imagine straight guys in the 80s jerking off to Cyndi Lauper. I can totally believe they jerked off to early 80s, slutty "Burning Up" - era Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 92December 11, 2017 2:41 AM

Just embarrassing. Fuck, you just won a Grammy and you have to inject that fake wrestling shit into your big win???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 11, 2017 2:49 AM

That sound you hear is Cyndi's stardom fading.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94December 11, 2017 3:00 AM

[quote] I can't envision a teenager in the 1980s masturbating to an image of Cyndi Lauper.

No, but Punky Brewster listened to her. That counted for something to a 5-year-old gay boy growing up in North Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 95December 11, 2017 3:03 AM

Madonna could never let loose and take something deliberately frivolous and kiddie-ish (though calculatedly so) like this and elevate it to the level of fabulous:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 11, 2017 3:05 AM

Wiki says that Mark Mothersbaugh wrote the opening theme.

by Anonymousreply 97December 11, 2017 3:02 PM

I don't think Cyndi [I hate people who spell their names like that] was all that talented.

I liked the song "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" but the album was weak.

by Anonymousreply 98December 11, 2017 3:33 PM

Well Cyndi wrote the music for a Broadway musical and won a Tony award. Broadway isn't what it used to be but still, getting a Tony award is pretty major if you are in the arts.

She is also currently writing another musical based on the movie Working Girl.

by Anonymousreply 99December 11, 2017 3:37 PM

Cyndi sang it under her real name. She also sang an old Al Sherman (father of Richard and Robert) ditty called "He's So Unusual" with vaguely gay-sounding themes for its day. Would Madonna have done that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100December 11, 2017 3:38 PM

When Madge writes the songs, this is what we get:

"I don't like cities.

But I like New York

Other places make me feel like a dork."

Yeah, roll over Cole Porter and tell Ira Gershwin the news.

by Anonymousreply 101December 11, 2017 3:40 PM

[quote]She is also currently writing another musical based on the movie Working Girl.

She won't be able to top the song Carly Simon wrote for that movie.

by Anonymousreply 102December 11, 2017 4:13 PM

Madonna was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame the first year that she was eligible, while Cyndi Lauper has yet to be inducted. I would rate Madonna as one of the five top women in pop/rock history, along with Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Janis Joplin and Bonnie Raitt.

by Anonymousreply 103December 11, 2017 4:27 PM

[quote] I would rate Madonna as one of the five top women in pop/rock history, along with Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Janis Joplin and Bonnie Raitt.

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 104December 11, 2017 4:37 PM

Cyndi was a pain to listen to, her voice is too shrill. Madonna isn't much of a singer, but her voice is more pleasant. Plus madonna had better songs, cyndi only stand out singles were true colors and the world is stone, which were wasted on her, due to her aforementioned shrill. Frankly, I'm surprised she had such a longlasting career.

by Anonymousreply 105December 11, 2017 4:49 PM

[quote] Cindy Lauper - did Madonna steal her career?

It's CYNDI, you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 106December 11, 2017 4:50 PM

As an artist Madge deserves recognition, but she is no song writer and putting her in a category with Aretha, Tina, Janis, Bonnie anybody that isn't some other over marketed pop princess (Britney) is insulting to the other female artists.

Madonna is/was a spectacle, the center ring in the circus. Not some great talent.

by Anonymousreply 107December 11, 2017 4:50 PM

[quote] cyndi only stand out singles were true colors and the world is stone,

Uh, you're ridiculous. Please come back to the table when you learn to think. And spell.

by Anonymousreply 108December 11, 2017 4:51 PM

Cyndi was just too much kitsch. We that got tired so did she. She didn't seem to know how to mature out of it. Lou Albano and newspaper skirts got tired.

by Anonymousreply 109December 11, 2017 5:29 PM

Madonna is more driven, ambitious and greedy than Cyndi Lauper.

Enough with this tired comparison. Both women are talented -- Cyndi Lauper just cares less.

by Anonymousreply 110December 11, 2017 7:56 PM

I've enjoyed them both, but I think they are complete unalike, so I'd never compare them. Cyndi didn't do herself any favors at first, with the artificial goofy persona, and her appearances with Pee Wee Herman and Captain Lou Albano.

by Anonymousreply 111December 11, 2017 10:43 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Cindy's but I do like her. In my opinion Strut, from Sheena Easton, and She Bop were the best songs by females to come out of the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 112December 11, 2017 10:46 PM

Songs I love by Cyndi that you probably haven't heard.

Maybe He'll Know

I Don't Want To Be Your Friend

Feels Like Christmas

Iko Iko

Sally's Pigeons

Unconditional Love

by Anonymousreply 113December 11, 2017 10:59 PM

Bonnie "5 Hits between 1989-1995 And That's It" Raitt over STEVIE NICKS???????????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114December 11, 2017 11:13 PM

R113 kind of sums up Cindy's problem. I bought every one of her albums when she was really popular. I always liked the singles that were on the albums but other than those I usually ended up not caring for most of the rest of her material.

by Anonymousreply 115December 11, 2017 11:13 PM

Bonnie didn't need a treadmill.

by Anonymousreply 116December 11, 2017 11:14 PM

Janis and Bonnie are obviously not as important or impactful as BARBRA and STEVIE....

PAT BENATAR is more prominent in the grand view than poor Cyndi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117December 11, 2017 11:18 PM

Found this while rummaging around her videos on youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118December 11, 2017 11:21 PM

Poor, sad Cyndi's best song is a mere b-side...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119December 11, 2017 11:24 PM

[quote] Madonna was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame the first year that she was eligible, while Cyndi Lauper has yet to be inducted.

The Monkees are more rock 'n' roll than Madonna and neither are they. Meanwhile, Jann Wenner helped contribute to the 1985 Columbia Picture [italic]Perfect[/italic], which wasn't, so he's one to talk.

by Anonymousreply 120December 12, 2017 5:21 PM

Hell, I'd put Annette Funicello in the R&R HOF before Madge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 12, 2017 5:22 PM

Deborah looks unbelievably fantastic in that Doom or Destiny video. How does she do it? There are are times (before the wig comes off at the end) when she looks like the cloned version of 1979.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 20, 2017 4:30 PM

Great artists steal....from great artists.

Mediocre artists steal from people without power, from people who send them demo recordings, from people who do not have a high enough profile to complain.

There is a reason why so many young artists were warned off from trying to sign on to Matador.

It is funny how Madonna never ripped off anyone who was on the music charts....only people who were still playing in small clubs and desperate for a recording contract.

by Anonymousreply 123December 20, 2017 5:43 PM

r123 that's not true at all.

by Anonymousreply 124December 20, 2017 5:58 PM

That Pee Wee theme really is a gas!

by Anonymousreply 125December 20, 2017 8:10 PM

I am getting old. How on earth can Jann Wenner still be alive?

by Anonymousreply 126December 20, 2017 8:12 PM

R123, Madonna had nothing to to with Matador Records. The label she created was Maverick Records.

by Anonymousreply 127December 20, 2017 8:16 PM

I think the producers sped up Lauper’s vocal on the Pee Wee Playhouse theme, it sounds too cartoonish even for her?

by Anonymousreply 128December 20, 2017 9:03 PM

Thank you R127. My mistake.

by Anonymousreply 129December 20, 2017 9:05 PM

Cyndi wasn't enough of a cunt to make it like Madonna did.

by Anonymousreply 130December 20, 2017 10:58 PM

Madonna did anal on the first date.

by Anonymousreply 131December 20, 2017 11:57 PM

Madonna had a lot of sex appeal at the beginning of her career.

Nobody wanted to fuck Cyndi Lauper.

by Anonymousreply 132December 21, 2017 12:07 AM

[quote]I think the producers sped up Lauper’s vocal on the Pee Wee Playhouse theme, it sounds too cartoonish even for her?

Nope, she most definitely can sound like that naturally. If I remember correctly she used that 'annoying little girl' voice in the Live in Paris concert. If you haven't seen it you should, it's one of the best concert videos I've seen. Everything just works. Cyndi's got a great live voice although who knows how much of it is truly live. It's on Youtube but since I'm in Europe I've no idea if the links work in the US, I doubt they do.

BTW, someone earlier mentioned Madonna could never be as playful as Cyndi but I disagree. Madonna most certainly was trying to be funny and even used her own little girl voice many times.

R132, yes obviously Maddie was a sexpot but Cyndi was quite sexy herself as well. I have a feeling there were tons of guys who would've gladly fucked her during Time After Time. She was a weirdo but she was cute and had nice tits.

by Anonymousreply 133December 21, 2017 12:19 AM

Cyndi did try to play the sexpot image for a short time. Remember the hype about her "I Drove All Night" video? her appearing nude in it, and her "sensual" new look. The track was a great one, the song and video gained momentum and became substantial hits, except not the monster hit everyone was expecting from her. One month later Madonna dropped "Express Yourself" which did become a monster hit. Madonna's career flourished but she was never really able to escape the porny image after that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 21, 2017 1:49 AM

Gaga and Cyndi are both ugly ladies who pretend to be more talented that they really are, it works at the beginning because of the funny and ridiculous fashion, after that the songs are not really good but 1 or 2 songs

by Anonymousreply 135December 31, 2017 6:54 PM

R135 - I agree that neither is a great beauty for sure. Gaga has/had a strong fashion sense (that varied from absurd to haute couture) however and at times had that extraordinary body (in the early days). Cyndi was always more frumpy overall and never all that striking to speak of. Madonna was not born a great beauty but through disciplined exercise and diet transformed herself into a modern day goddess so-to-speak. The eight of her beauty was likely the Sex book era. Love or hate her - she was stunning naked.

by Anonymousreply 136December 31, 2017 7:19 PM

R136, I agree. Madge was in peak form during this era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137December 31, 2017 7:43 PM

Nudity was more shocking when Julie Andrews did it.

by Anonymousreply 138December 31, 2017 7:45 PM

Sometimes Beyonce looks like she could be transgender while the other two are just postmenopausal.

by Anonymousreply 139December 31, 2017 7:59 PM

Madonna has huge breasts and tiny nipples

by Anonymousreply 140December 31, 2017 8:58 PM

Madonna's nipples remind me of FTM tits.

by Anonymousreply 141January 3, 2018 3:54 AM

Agree with those who say Madonna was hungrier. But I think Madonna had long term plans, whereas I don't think Cyndi had one (hence, the unfortunate WWF decision). Watching some of those early award show and wrestling videos with Cyndi, they really are cringe-worthy and didn't bode well for her pop career.

I love She's So Unusual, and I think the problem with Cyndi was that her debut was just SO good that the follow-ups paled in comparison, even True Colours, which is a fine album, but it's just not as good as She's So Unusual. I think Madonna's first album has aged very well (and I think it's better than its more successful follow-up Like a Virgin) but Madonna knew her next album had to be bigger. And she also took the opportunity to set herself apart from the rest with her videos and award show appearances (the Like a Virgin performance on MTV).

I think 1986 is when we realized who was going to have the bigger career in pop music. Cyndi came back with True Colours, a pleasant ballad but her image was pretty much the same, just a little softer, but not as quirky or fun. Madonna ditched the bracelets, the long hair, the Boy Toy buckle and cut her hair, went blond, cleaned up, toned up and gave us Live To Tell, Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart. She became a global superstar and La Isla Bonita became another hit for her. Her marriage to Sean Penn also kept her in the press and the video controversies for Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart kept people talking about her.

by Anonymousreply 142January 3, 2018 4:37 AM

Talking of Madge stealing other people's ideas/work/staging - you name it. This is Dead or Alive in 1989 - one year BEFORE Blonde Ambition. See any similarities between the opening number here and

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143January 3, 2018 6:09 AM

I am R143 and I fucking hate Microsoft fucking keyboards. So, anger managed... "See any similarity between the opening number here and "Express Yourself" from Blonde Ambition, a year later?

by Anonymousreply 144January 3, 2018 6:11 AM

R143, Have you seen the Express Yourself video released in May 1989, and Madge's performances of it at the MTV Awards in '89?

by Anonymousreply 145January 3, 2018 6:21 AM

The only similarity I see are... stairs.

by Anonymousreply 146January 3, 2018 6:24 AM

Cindy never has the sex appeal as Madonna did, she was more like a indie pop star, she was cool but never as ambitious and global as Madonna, who also use controversy and took more risk than Lauper

by Anonymousreply 147January 3, 2018 7:53 AM

Cyndi's book (which I loved) she states she has a knack for "saying the WRONG things to the RIGHT people." She managed to offend Steven Spielberg at a meeting held to discuss his doing a video for her "Goonies" song, saying his idea "wasn't that creative." She also offended Quincy Jones at the We Are the World sessions so much that he went over to her and told her "Okay, you can just do your shit and leave!" Cyndi comes from a rougher past than Madonna and may have less social skills than she had.

by Anonymousreply 148February 18, 2018 4:57 PM

Well Cyn has a Tony now, something Madge will never get.

by Anonymousreply 149February 18, 2018 5:02 PM

And Cher has an Oscar, something Cyndi will never get. Cyndi has a Tony, something Cher's trying to get.

by Anonymousreply 150February 18, 2018 5:14 PM

Think Lucy Riccardo imitating a pop star to accept an award at a ceremony and then watch the video at R65. Only the video lacks any good laughs because we are not in on the joke.

Although Lucy could have really had a field day with the wrestling connection, getting in the ring with Chynna and such.

by Anonymousreply 151February 18, 2018 5:20 PM

There was never any true competition. Madonna always had her finger firmly on the pulse of the pop culture until maybe 10 years ago. Even her missteps were much bigger events than Cyndi's subsequent successes (think "Sex" book.) Don't get me wrong, I like Cindy and "She's So Unusual" is a great pop album but she never quite managed to shift successfully with the tides of the zeitgeist. Even "I Drove All Night" is a Roy Orbison cover and that's, more or less, the last big hit she's had since her peak of popularity.

by Anonymousreply 152February 18, 2018 6:10 PM

r152, don't forget "At Last" in 2003.

by Anonymousreply 153February 18, 2018 7:49 PM

At Last is a great CD, one of her best.

by Anonymousreply 154February 18, 2018 8:58 PM

I love that song from the opening number of Dead or Alive's show. Pete was so beautiful pre all the plastic surgeries, and what a voice.

by Anonymousreply 155February 18, 2018 10:18 PM

Cyndi has had a great career. She'll always have "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "She Bop", "Time After Time" and "True Colours". These are iconic songs that will live forever. "Time After Time" is one of her co-writes and has been covered many times and will continue to make her money.

by Anonymousreply 156February 19, 2018 12:25 AM

Say what you want, but Cindy was ALWAYS a better friend to the gays long before Madge realized its financial potential. When gays were not even seen on TV yet, Cindy wrote in a BlueBoy magazine line in one of her first songs.

by Anonymousreply 157February 19, 2018 8:17 AM

cindy::::goddess of psoraisis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158February 19, 2018 8:20 AM

Madonna is Albert Schweitzer to Beyonce's Alfred E. Neumann.

by Anonymousreply 159February 19, 2018 8:52 AM

You silly queens need to stop about the wrestling stuff. First it was about fifteen minutes of her career and she was there at the beginning when it started to become the multi-billion dollar industry it so today.

Madonna was the sexy sister and Cindi the funny one. She always used her sense of humor, the five seconds of "Girls Just Want to have Fun" shows that. No one will ever accuse Madonna of having a sense of humor. People love a funny old lady, no one wants to see a sixty year old with her tits out.

They are who they are and both successful in their own ways.

by Anonymousreply 160February 19, 2018 9:59 AM

The Academy has fucked them over. Madonna has been snubbed way too many times. "Causing A Commotion", "Live To Tell", "Into The Groove", "This Used to Be My Playground" should have been nominated. "The Goonies song should have been too, that year "Surprise, Surprise" from "A Chorus Line", "Separate Lives" from White Nights", and "Sister" from "The Color Purple", really?

by Anonymousreply 161February 19, 2018 10:05 AM

Cyndi is known to be difficult and saying the wrong things to the right people. She was always bitchin' when she was on Epic, I heard that story from Wendy Wild. who used to work there. This was around the time of "Night to Remember". She's the type who's never happy.

by Anonymousreply 162February 20, 2018 8:29 PM

Another thing with Cyndi is that her ability to come up with original new material in the past 15 years or so has seriously diminished. I actually liked that album from about 10 years ago (the one that had "Into The Nightlife" on it) which contained brand new songs but, since then (and even before that album) she seems to be constantly recycling her 80s stuff, doing albums of covers, etc.

by Anonymousreply 163February 20, 2018 8:45 PM

Cyndi did manage to write an award-winning Broadway musical.

by Anonymousreply 164February 21, 2018 5:12 AM

Cyndi said in her memoir that she was raped by her own band in the early 80s. I think that event affected her greatly, and she may have decided to pursue a career based on talent rather than sex and shock tactics.

Madonna had no qualms about sleeping with anyone who could help her career. Nearing 60, she is still posing topless, and the hits accolades have disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 165February 25, 2018 11:42 PM

She just wasn’t very good. And she was funny looking.

by Anonymousreply 166February 26, 2018 12:14 AM

Cyndi Lauper is a whore, darling.

by Anonymousreply 167February 26, 2018 12:42 AM

If Cyndi is a whore, what is Madge? You have to invent a new category of whoredom.

by Anonymousreply 168February 26, 2018 1:18 AM

Cyndi said in her memoir that she “always said the right thing to the wrong people” like when she criticized Spielberg’s original take on the video for Goonies R Good Enough. He was so offended he dropped his plan to direct it, leaving the job to someone else. She joked she could’ve been directed by one of the greats but she couldn’t hide her initial disappointment with his lack of originality. So obviously this shows she just couldn’t play the game. Madonna, on the other hand, while no walk in the park- had a bloodlust for fame and success and would’ve shut up and let Spielberg do his thing. Madonna was just smarter.

by Anonymousreply 169February 26, 2018 1:19 AM

There's only one Cindy Lauper but so many Madonnas. When I hear or see Madonna's name, I have no visceral reaction. When I see or hear Cindy's name I feel warm and happy. Granted it's only me saying this, but just the same, I don't feel embarrassed when I flippantly say I lover Cindy Lauper, but I never say I love Madonna for any reason. Cindy is a real person to me, Madonna is a topic on DataLounge and not so real.

by Anonymousreply 170February 26, 2018 1:44 AM

Madonna is the queen of pop and a legendary gay icon...Cindy well just a one hit wonder

by Anonymousreply 171February 26, 2018 2:30 AM

[quote]Cyndi has had a great career. She'll always have "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "She Bop", "Time After Time" and "True Colours". These are iconic songs that will live forever.

I just checked and in 2017 Cyndi's songs were licensed to 10 different TV shows last year from Supergirl and Stranger Things to The Orville and the Goldbergs.

The songs were: All Through the Night, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, Girls Just Want to Have Fun, Time After Time and of course True Colors.

by Anonymousreply 172February 26, 2018 3:02 AM

Cyndi just doesn’t have the look and the IT factor like Madonna. While Madonna has always evolved to survive, Cyndi keeps repeating herself. Cyndi is a bore. Gaga is the new Cyndi

by Anonymousreply 173February 26, 2018 4:35 AM

Don't cry for Cyndi, she has loads of money and a nice life.

by Anonymousreply 174February 26, 2018 4:38 AM

Not everyone can be a superstar- otherwise there wouldn't be the term.. Cyndi still has a great career and a show running on Broadway. Not bad for a woman in her 60s.

Even opening for Rod Stewart, she is making $150k a show.

by Anonymousreply 175February 26, 2018 5:15 AM

doesn't her husband David Thornton seem gay or bi?

by Anonymousreply 176March 19, 2018 6:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!