Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Cat is Lost Inside My House Somewhere

I haven't seen her since two nights ago when I went to sleep. I heard her meow a few times and when I woke up yesterday morning she wasn't around. She didn't come out all day yesterday. Didn't touch her food. Hasn't used the cat box. I live in a very small apartment. She's not in her usual hiding places. I went to bed last night thinking she'd come out from wherever she is. Nothing. I'm going out of my head looking for her. She didn't appear to be sick. The only thing I can think of now is that she hid herself somewhere and died. I'm heartbroken. She's a ragdoll cat, an orphan from outdoors who's been living with me since I coaxed her in. I know she would come out if she was okay, or at least make some noise so I could find her.

by Anonymousreply 326June 25, 2019 5:19 AM

I'm very sorry OP.

My cat died last week, I know how hard it can be.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2019 9:24 AM

Does she run to you when you open a can of wet food?

Maybe call a cat rescue and ask for advice? Or call the vet and see if they can refer you to someone?

I'd act very fast, OP. Leave out bowls of water in different locations.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2019 9:26 AM

Two nights ago? How did you not already call someone for help on this? 😮

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2019 9:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2019 9:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2019 9:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2019 9:30 AM

Read the comments too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2019 9:32 AM

Are there owls in your neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2019 9:34 AM

She might be in some kind of crawl space. Ask your landlord or maintenance guy if there's a crawl space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2019 9:34 AM

Sorry, OP and r1. I know how it is.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2019 9:35 AM

R9 is correct.cats love crawling into crawl spaces and can sometimes get into ceilings

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2019 9:37 AM

Look at the comments to the video at r6. People talk about cats lost in the home

by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2019 9:37 AM

Catnip perhaps might coax her out if she's still alive. Place it in areas that you can monitor.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2019 9:38 AM

Contact your vet and ask for an animal behaviorist. They might know what to do.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2019 9:39 AM

OP what city are you in? I'll research who might be able to help.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2019 9:41 AM

How old is she?

*Thought & Prayers*

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2019 9:43 AM

Put bowls of cat food out. Friskes and the like. Smelly, McDonald's of cat food.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2019 9:48 AM

I've never figured out how old she is. She appeared here one day but wouldn't let anyone near. Stayed outside. Eventually, she warmed to me and became a loving house cat. She can't be outside. I only have one big closet in my place and I'm pulling out everything, really tearing the place apart like the commenters said on that video. I tried the food. She always responded to the opening of a can of cat food. Nothing. She hides from anyone who comes in the apartment but never from me. I'm so afraid she died. Got up at 4:30 and after realizing she's not here, I can't stop sobbing over her. If she were hidden and couldn't escape she would have meowed for me.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2019 9:52 AM

When she wasn't feeling well my kitties used to find the most unusual hiding places. OP, Did you check all of the dark corners of your clothes closet, and I mean underneath everything? Cats can make themselves very compact when so motivated.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2019 9:53 AM

OP what city? I'll try to find someone to help.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2019 9:56 AM

OP, Do you have any bathroom or kitchen cupboards with dark corners?

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2019 9:57 AM

Did you leave any windows open as they can escape through the smallest gaps, even through top windows?

Unfortunately, if she has died in your apartment, the smell will soon alert you to her whereabouts. Very upsetting for you.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2019 10:01 AM

Do you have a washer or dryer she might have climbed into? Praying for you and your cat.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2019 10:02 AM

If you haven't already, check your dressers. If I left one of my drawers open even six inches my cat would get inside and climb up through the back to sleep in one of the closed drawers. I also found him stretched out in the space behind the bottom drawer a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2019 10:05 AM

I've had this happen. Kitty was in my couch (inside it) or in the box spring.

I bet he shows.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2019 10:10 AM

No sounds. The closet is almost done with ... no luck. I think I've looked everywhere. No windows open. After she came to live with me she never wanted to go outside again. She had a head cold a few weeks ago and I took her to the vet who gave her an antibiotic. She got better. Tks for the helpful responses. I'm just hoping my baby is alive. Sweetest little cat ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2019 10:12 AM

She is really beautiful. Ragdolls are big so I doubt she is in some tiny space. Maybe she slipped past you when you left the apartment and you didn't notice? I would try calling her outside too.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2019 10:18 AM

Be sure to check that box spring, and inside any couches. I've also had them hide in cabinets, and I closed them not realizing that they were inside.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2019 10:24 AM

Once my cat was hiding under the bathtube, they're good at hide-and-seek.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2019 10:27 AM

Look under your bed up inside the fabric that covers the bottom of your box spring. I lost my cat once inside the house for days. Finally found her under the bed. She had ripped a hole in the cambric fabric and had crawled up in there and was just chilling out . You could see her fat lump of a body hanging up inside the fabric.

If you can hid and died you'd be smelling it by now. Good luck. I'm sure you'll find here eventually.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2019 10:37 AM

Check the food and water level and open tuna cans in every room.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2019 10:41 AM

Thank you guys. Appreciate your suggestions. I have looked under the bed to see if the fabric under the box springs was hanging down. She weighs 8 pounds. Nothing. I opened another can of cat food because the sound would wake her from a deep sleep. Nothing. I'm going to take a tuna can and open it in my bedroom. I just keep hoping she's playing a game with me. But this isn't like her at all. She's a puppycat. Loves to have her belly scratched. I'm a wreck and can't stop crying. I'd give anything if she'd just show her little face.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2019 10:43 AM

Check cupboards, underneath the couch, lift up the cushions on the couch. Move your mattress too. Have you entertained the possibility she might have gone outside? Some can move very quickly.also check in the cupboard underneath the bathroom and kitchen sink.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2019 10:44 AM

OP you should ask your neighbours if they didn't see her. Maybe she's chilling on their coach.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2019 10:47 AM

If she's still inside the house It's for sure she's not in distress or she'd be squalling like mad. She's not dead or the smell would be obvious. She's a typical cat. Some times they decide to do some really weird things. She just needs her alone time. She's a former outdoor cat. Are you absolutely sure there is no way should could get outside?

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2019 10:48 AM

R35 I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but cats die silently. They don't squall.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2019 10:52 AM

Check underneath the couch. You would be surprised how many cats have the ability to flatten themselves and squeeze into small spaces.ive seen this before

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2019 10:52 AM

If she's 8 lbs she is way too big for all these places.

She used to be an outdoor cat and just bc she hasn't wanted to go outside for X years, doesn't mean she can't change her mind. She must have slipped past you when you left the house.

Take the open tuna cans outside and check all her old haunts. The onset of feline dementia can make cats alter lifelong engrained habits.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2019 10:52 AM

I'm so sorry, OP, and I hope you discover what happened. Did you have anyone over during that time that might've accidentally let her out the door or a window? Or even maintenance or landlord that might've entered your place without you knowing?

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2019 11:00 AM

She is dead OP. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2019 11:12 AM

There isn't any way for her to leave the house. I've got the closet almost completely cleaned out and no sign of her. The last time I saw her was when I went to bed two nights ago. I heard her meow quietly three times, not in distress, and then I went to sleep. The next morning when she didn't appear, I thought she's hiding somewhere. I started getting frantic in the afternoon and evening. Looked everywhere I could find until late last night. Finally knocked myself out with a xanax, woke up early this a.m. and she hasn't resurfaced. I am afraid she's dead and in some hidden spot even though there didn't seem to be be anything wrong with her.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2019 11:15 AM

Last guess: If you have one, have you checked your washer and dryer, including the dryer exhaust hose?

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2019 11:25 AM

[quote]Good riddance-the birds

Except the OP has said repeatedly she's exclusively an indoor cat. So no threat to the birds. And I'm the biggest bird person ever who constantly bitches about that global problem. My upstairs neighbor's indoor cat used to catch birds all the time on their balcony, but she slipped earlier this year, fell from the fourth floor, and smashed her brain on the asphalt. I miss that little fucker peeping into my window at night.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2019 11:29 AM

Check inside fireplace, inside furnace, inside oven and refrigerator/freezer. Open all cabinets and closets. Some cats can open cabinets/closet doors and then the doors close on them and they can't get out. Check inside matress and inside all stuffed furnature like sofas and recliners. Check ice boxes and coolers. Check inside piano. Check inside airconditoner and waterheater storage. Check to see if there are any holes in walls, floors, or ceilings. Check vents, especially floor vents if open, leading to air ducts. Ask landlord for help, if this is an apartment. Check desk and dresser drawers. Look up--some cats jump up high and can even sit on the tops of doors. Check rafters. Check attic space or crawl space. Listen and call the cat's name. Check behind and below and inside all large appliances. Check inside trash and recylcables. Check laundry.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2019 11:31 AM

Op could she have gotten out? You may have heard her meowing from outside.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2019 11:32 AM

OP please come back and tell us how this works out.

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2019 11:33 AM

Is your apartment really huge, OP? It's crazy to me that you haven't been able to find her yet. Just go systematically, room by room.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2019 11:34 AM

It sounds like you might have let a feral cat into your house.

That behavior is normal. You won't see that cat.

If there are any holes in your home, the cat could be in your ceiling or under a floor.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2019 11:39 AM

Put the cat box out in the open. Make sure it's raked all nice. Leave for a few hours. When you come back, there may be footprints.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2019 11:41 AM

Tks for the helpful words. My apartment is tiny, a living room, bedroom, small kitchenette and bathroom. I now have the closet cleaned out and no sign of her. No washer, dryer, or piano to look in. Dishwasher but she's not in there. She was a "throwaway" who turned up in the backyard where my downstairs neighbor started feeding her. Then I adopted her. When I took her to the vet he said she was spayed and declawed (!!!). Turns out my neighbor's boyfriend threw her out when she was little. She was messing up his boat in the garage, which is where they put her because of other cats in the house. When he discovered the boat he kicked her out. She is afraid of everyone except me and has never not used the cat box. Very affectionate and content and I just don't understand what has happened to her.

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2019 11:47 AM

Have you spoken to your neighbors? She might be in one of their apartments.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2019 11:51 AM

r51 She disappeared overnight, which means she couldn't have slipped through the door while the OP wasn't looking.

Could she have squeezed through one of the windows that had been left ajar? That and the balcony (which I'm assuming you don't have) are really the only explanations I can think of.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2019 11:56 AM

Someone took your cat

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2019 12:01 PM

My cat disappeared for (2) days. We searched every place we thought she possibly could fit. We finally located her in the basement inside of a painting/picture we had leaning up against a wall. We had looked previously, but did not see her. Not sure if she moved around a bit, or what. Went straight to the vet once we found her. Apparently she was constipated. Got that taken care of and she is fine. Too many kitty treats are not good for them.

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2019 12:07 PM

You need to be looking outside. It’s the one place you’re not looking and I bet money that exactly where she is at.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2019 12:09 PM

She got out your door and when you heard her meow, you should have opened your door. She may be caught in the lining of some of your furniture.

If she is ragdoll, she is two large for a bird of prey.

Look in a kitchen cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2019 12:09 PM

My 8 pound cat can absolutely squeeze under my sofa. Look there, and look to see if she's crawled up inside it. Do you have a recliner? Cats can also crawl up inside those.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2019 12:11 PM

Can cats just die, even if they looked/acted fine? I looked in the recliner and under furniture and up in the lining. It's like she vanished into thin air. When she meowed two nights ago, there were no closed doors inside. I'm busted up over this. Fear I'll find her dead.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2019 12:26 PM

Is there a space between your kitchenette cabinets and the ceiling or do they go all of the way up? Could she have jumped up there? I had a cat that did that. For some reason she also wanted to lay down on top of the fridge when she got sick. Can you move your fridge out and look behind there? That cat was always up to something and once jumped up on a wall unit and fell behind it. Had to move the whole thing to get her out. There wasn't that big of a gap between the wall unit and the wall, just enough for plugs, so you wouldn't think a cat could fit back there but she did. And she was a pretty big cat. It's crazy the places they can fit.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2019 12:27 PM

[quote]My 8 pound cat can absolutely squeeze under my sofa. Look there, and look to see if she's crawled up inside it. Do you have a recliner? Cats can also crawl up inside those.

Agree I had one who ripped a hole in the material under the couch and crawled up inside

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2019 12:29 PM

I knew a cat who tore a hole in a box spring and would sleep there

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2019 12:31 PM

I wish the prissy person who objected to DL's attitude in the Shriner's thread would read this one. It just takes the right impetus for DL to be compassionate.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2019 12:32 PM

Do you have someone to help you with this, OP? A fresh pair of eyes might spot some places you haven't thought to check because you're so used to your apartment and to your cat's usual behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2019 12:32 PM

Do you have uncovered vents in your apartment? I ask this because we had work done on our house last year and my 14 year old cat decided to go through a vent and get behind the walls. She was crying a lot and we put a hole in the drywall and got her out.

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2019 12:36 PM

OP, has the cat shown up yet with a little of kittens in tow?

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2019 12:38 PM

OP, why won't you answer the person who is asking where you are located so they can help you find the right service?

And R65 has a good question. Are you sure she isn't pregnant and did not run off somewhere to give birth?

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2019 1:12 PM

OP, think about the entire time she's been missing. Has the door or window not been opened at all during that time, not even a minute? Because though it might seem she was missing all along, she might've just been hiding out at first, then quickly slipped out at another point. And ask your neighbors if they've seen or heard her.

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2019 1:13 PM

For OP and Kitty:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2019 1:18 PM

I am in Huntington Long Island. She must have found a really good place because I've looked everywhere. Everything is out of the closet except clothes hanging on hangers. Also cleared everything out from under the bed and checked the lining of the box springs. Asked neighbor if he'd seen her and said no. Not under couch or recliner, checked lining too. I know she would've come out by now. After she came in the house for good, never wanted to go out again. She only liked to climb up on the back of the chair and look out the window. So lovable and affectionate. I'm so afraid she's dead.

by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2019 1:21 PM

OP have you looked in drawers? Behind dressers and other large furniture? In cabinets? Inside boxes or other storage? Don't write anything off because you think she couldn't fit or couldn't have gotten in there.

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2019 1:32 PM

Stay positive, OP! I don't think she is dead. Maybe she just needs a break from your intense personality!

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2019 1:41 PM

Cats are excellent at hiding. My cat once hid in the box springs of the mattress of the bed in our guestroom. He scratched a hole in it and was perched up in there because he was frightened of something.

Another time we found him hiding in a dresser drawer. Yet another time hiding in a kitchen cabinet.

Hoping and praying your friend is found soon!

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2019 1:43 PM

I've heard this before. This tread does not seem new. If it is someone else had the exact same experience. I don't know if we every found out what happened to his cat.

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2019 1:46 PM

Over the years I have had cats who hid themselves inside a box spring mattress, inside a sofa, up a chimney (!), and in the ceiling. One cat used to disappear for several hours and then magically reappear - I never did figure out where in my one-bedroom apartment he was hiding.

It sounds like your cat might have gotten stuck in the ceiling or between the walls of your apartment, or is in the floor above the basement. Check with your landlord or building manager to see if there are any entry points in the building (not just your apartment) that your cat might have found and ask if there is any history of cats getting trapped in the house. Also if you have a local pet superstore I would give them a call and see if they have any employees who are experienced at finding lost cats. Lots of dedicated people work in those places and they might have contacts who can help.

Hope you find your little guy.

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2019 1:48 PM

Is there a ransome note?

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2019 1:49 PM

Ever experienced that surreal feeling where you can't find something that you think you put in one place only a minute ago and it seemingly just vanished, so your brain kinda breaks down in frustration because there's simply no rational explanation for why that thing isn't there anymore? And then you find it and immediately understand why it's in that place?

Reading this thread is a bit like that. Only a hundred times worse, of course, because it's a living animal. I'm frustrated knowing that the OP's cat is 100% in that apartment, and there's only a finite number of places a ragdoll can occupy within that limited space.

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2019 1:53 PM

My heart is breaking. I know she would have come out by now, or I would have found her. It's such a small apartment and I've looked everywhere in it. I have everything from the bedroom closet piled up in the living room and I've pulled the mattress and box springs off to look. No trace. Not a sound. As far as I know there is no access either into the walls or down into the floor.

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2019 1:58 PM

Get a dog.

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2019 2:00 PM

OP, have you checked in your closet and in the box spring?

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2019 2:01 PM

OP do you own or rent? If you rent, is it possible someone from the landlord could have come into your apartment when you weren't there and let her out?

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2019 2:02 PM

If you adopted her from outside, is it possible she snuck outside?

Maybe post lost pet signs and knock on neighbors' doors?

by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2019 2:04 PM

Op, my cat is about that size. There are kitchen cabinets in the corner and she found out there’s a narrow gap between the two corner cabinets that leads up to a space on top of the cabinets that’s inside the wall. The cabinets don’t go all the way to the ceiling, there’s a drywall section on top of them that probably has ducts inside it. She goes in there all the time. Look behind large objects in the lower and upper cabinets too. She may not be in distress, she may have found a new hiding place and is fascinated by it.

Did you look inside the refrigerator and freezer? She could have got caught in there. Inside the oven, washer and dryer.

Also, behind any large appliance. Washer, dryer, stove, fridge. On top of the fridge. Inside cabinets over the fridge or stove. In the broom closet, linen closet and pantry.

by Anonymousreply 82June 19, 2019 2:21 PM

Isn’t this an old story? Cat lost in walls?

by Anonymousreply 83June 19, 2019 2:22 PM

Oh sweetie I’m so sorry. I wish I were there to help you. Please know we all truly love you.

by Anonymousreply 84June 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Cats can get spooked all the time and they will at times run and hide for long periods of time, not eating or drinking, simply because they're scared to death. If she's in that house and alive, she'll come out eventually. If she's outside and free to move around on her own (hasn't been taken in by another family) she'll eventually come back home.

by Anonymousreply 85June 19, 2019 2:28 PM

Does your building have an elevator?

by Anonymousreply 86June 19, 2019 2:29 PM

I'm telling you this story only because there is always one place you have missed.

Last week I lost my car keys in my car. I tore that car apart 3x's. Put the seats up, put them down, moved the seats forward and back. Someone else tore it apart for me 1 time. After 2 HOURS I opened the back door, had the seats down and laid my upper body across the back of the seat (I was in pain at the time) I moved my arm out and my hand felt this tiny crack between the seat where it was folded down and the back floor. I pulled the felt out and there were my keys. I tried to get them out but couldn't because I had a small flashlight attached to the ring and it was too big to get thru the crack. I had to pull on the seat and move the keys back and forth until they came out. I have NO idea how they got in there with the flashlight attached.

there is one more place you have missed

by Anonymousreply 87June 19, 2019 2:36 PM

OP, if this resonates with your beliefs, please use. (Otherwise, kindly ignore.)

Prayer for My Lost Cat

St. Francis and St. Anthony, please come promptly to the aid of this precious cat, and those who love her so, and enable her to find her way back home, having suffered no ill effects from her separation from her family.

Thank you sweet Jesus for your mercy on this pet owner and their dearly loved cat, and for restoring her to him. It is in your name we pray, Amen.

by Anonymousreply 88June 19, 2019 2:57 PM

And St. Jude, for lost causes.

by Anonymousreply 89June 19, 2019 2:58 PM

Have you looked up INSIDE the recliner? I had a cat hid not under the recliner, but IN the recliner. Thank God I didn't try to extend the footrest, or he'd have been smooshed.

by Anonymousreply 90June 19, 2019 3:10 PM

People like ragdolls, someone has her. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 91June 19, 2019 3:34 PM

r91 They'd have to enter the OP's (presumably locked) apartment during the night or in the morning after, then. Which seems improbable.

by Anonymousreply 92June 19, 2019 3:36 PM

Check under the fridge if possible. Put an open cardboard box in the middle of the floor. Cats can't resist them. I hope you find her.

by Anonymousreply 93June 19, 2019 3:42 PM

Could you maybe play some cat noises from your computer? Wouldn't most cats respond to that in some way?

by Anonymousreply 94June 19, 2019 3:45 PM

Do you have a lazy susan? Have you checked there, if you do?

I hope you find your friend, OP! Please let us know.

by Anonymousreply 95June 19, 2019 3:46 PM

OP, i had a cat who insisted on being an indoor outdoor cat. He got run over by a car. But i wasn't informed of it till animal control in my town told me. Three days after the fact. Someone reported him lying in a road.

I am so sorry for what you are going thru.

by Anonymousreply 96June 19, 2019 3:46 PM

OP, did you REMOVE all the drawers in your home? Actually remove them - not just open and look?

My cat used to love playing hide-n-seek in the highboy dresser. Until she squirmed behind the open drawer and then got stuck between the drawer and the back of the dresser and ended up trapped behind the bottom drawer - even though she'd climbed in through a top drawer.

I heard a few quiet mews and then nothing - she was so scared she went quiet. Had I not been in the room and heard those first few plaintiff mews and started looking for her... so check *behind* ALL drawers. Pull them right out!

by Anonymousreply 97June 19, 2019 3:46 PM

Check around the sink in the kitchen and bathroom. One of my cats hid under there ,she had crawled up on the pipes and wouldnt make a peep. I had looked in the cabinets,but it never occured to me to look UP while I was under there.

by Anonymousreply 98June 19, 2019 4:04 PM

Thanks to all of you for your heartfelt thoughts and good advice. I had to get out of the house so I drove into town and realized I was too emotional to go inside stores. She (Asia) is so special because she was abused and kicked out of her original home and crossed the street to come over here and it took me three years just to coax her inside. She was so afraid of people after the neighbor. It's been 3 years inside now and she still hides from people. She goes under the bed, which is the first place I looked. Then I ripped the bed apart and looked up in the box springs. She was so affectionate two nights ago when I went to bed. I just don't understand it. It's a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 99June 19, 2019 4:38 PM

She would have been hungry by now and if stuck someplace would be howling.

by Anonymousreply 100June 19, 2019 4:56 PM

She must be stuck between the walls. That happened to my cat a few years ago. My dad "found her" months later while doing the plumbing for the kitchen. She was all mummified by then. Poor Beatrix. 🐈

by Anonymousreply 101June 19, 2019 5:11 PM

Do you have an attic?

My mom used to keep our luggage in the attic. We came home from a family vacation & Critter had been in the attic the entire three weeks.

She was fine.

by Anonymousreply 102June 19, 2019 5:13 PM

I am thinking of you OP!

by Anonymousreply 103June 19, 2019 5:30 PM

Maybe this volunteer org knows someone who can help. Phone number at the bottom of the page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 19, 2019 5:49 PM

Your local shelter might be able to help, or refer you to someone.

OP, find friend who can help you search your place. Fresh eyes, like someone above said. Please don't skip anything suggested here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 19, 2019 5:51 PM

This rescue is near you. They've been around since 1927. Staff might be pushy according to Yelp, but maybe call them. They may have some expertise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 19, 2019 5:54 PM

Please call North Shore and ask for help and a referral. They have good people there. Please don't give up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 19, 2019 5:56 PM

He OP - Is it okay with you if I toss mine in there as well?

by Anonymousreply 108June 19, 2019 5:57 PM

I don't understand you, OP. If you're so distraught and its been 2 days, why wouldn't you call someone from animal control or anyone who can offer help ASAP? I personally think the cat got out somehow, but if it's still alive or dead somewhere in your walls, or anywhere in the apartment, I'd want to know sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 109June 19, 2019 6:01 PM

OP, when you heard Kitty meow the other night, I guarantee someone came into your apartment and she got out. Is anything else missing? She may have prevented a robbery.

by Anonymousreply 110June 19, 2019 6:01 PM

r110 Don't most people lock their front doors?

by Anonymousreply 111June 19, 2019 6:03 PM

If one more person tells this poor person to look in the box springs or under the sofa or in the washing machine........please scroll up before posting

by Anonymousreply 112June 19, 2019 6:05 PM

I know someone suggested looking under the fridge, but is it possible she jumped on top of it and fell *behind* it?

by Anonymousreply 113June 19, 2019 6:09 PM

OP, I'm sorry you're going through this. I had a similar but brief moment of panic earlier this week when some maintenance guys came into the apartment to clean the AC units, and then I couldn't find my terrified cat. I found him on the closet floor, where he had dug through some clutter and hid under a comforter.

If something scared your cat, he would have likely gotten over it by now and come out of hiding. Maybe he is stuck somewhere. He stayed at my mother's house for a week last year, and I discovered a hole in the closet wall. If he had climbed through that hole, he would have ended up behind the bathtub.

They can survive for a few days without water or food. If he is stuck in the interior walls, what would be the best way to find him? I thought maybe a holding a stethoscope against the wall, but if he's being still (as cats can be), that won't help. I would move every piece of furniture away from the walls and inspect every surface of the wall for holes that he might have squeezed through. Check the bottom drawer of your dresser; he could have gone under the dresser and climbed into the drawer from behind.

The fact that he isn't meowing, though, makes me think he could also be outside. I've heard the advice to put his dirty litter box outside, he'll recognize his own scent, and he might come back to use the box out of habit. Also put his favorite treats outside, too.

by Anonymousreply 114June 19, 2019 6:10 PM

I remember a thread from last year where the OP lost his kitten, are many of you posters the same one who helped this poor person? I don't think we ever got a resolution :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 19, 2019 6:10 PM

No resolution was needed, hunty, for an EST that really pissed a lot of people off.

by Anonymousreply 116June 19, 2019 6:14 PM

This is no EST!

by Anonymousreply 117June 19, 2019 6:16 PM

[quote] Q: Will this camera detect an animal under a floor, in a wall or under a deck? What is the distance required to detect? Would you need to be very close?

[Quote] A: It detects thermal heat on surface meaning that it can not see through. However, if animal under floor has heat enough to affect temperature on wall/floor surface, it can detect its temperature difference. The 35,200 pixels thermal camera can see objects like buddings and houses in 100 m far away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 19, 2019 6:18 PM

Op, buy something like at my post at R118 and return it after you're done with it. Give it a chance. When you return it pick "item did not match description" so you won't be charged return shipping.

by Anonymousreply 119June 19, 2019 6:20 PM

Did anyone say it was, R117? I have my suspicions since the kitters is not found and the OP is not telling us anything of real substance. Furthermore, there is some evidence he actually stole the cat from neighbors across the street by luring him over and trying to tell us the cat was abused. Oh really? How would OP know this?

by Anonymousreply 120June 19, 2019 6:20 PM

This one might be even better. Get it shipped Prime or overnight or even same day if available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121June 19, 2019 6:22 PM

[quote]I don't understand you, OP. If you're so distraught and its been 2 days, why wouldn't you call someone from animal control or anyone who can offer help ASAP?

I agree. If the cat is inside the apartment you have to hurry and try to find her immediately, OP. If she's stuck somewhere she's been without water for two days now, and if still alive that will start causing serious problems for her organs. That said it's weird she wouldn't make ANY noise. When I was a really small kid I for whatever reason put our cat in a closet and closed the door. I totally forgot I had done it, and we sometimes heard a few small meows but not all the time. We kept wondering where he had gone until a day later while searching for him I finally opened the closet door and there he was. He could've raised hell in the closet but I assume she found the small space peaceful and mostly just slept there. The weird thing was that after finding him I suddenly remembered it was me who had put him there in the first place.

I'm currently reading a novel where a really small child dies under a pile of clothes. Her mother was having a party and the kid crawled to sleep under a few coats when the party was starting but then more and more heavy coats where thrown over her and she suffocated. The scene came immediately to my mind after reading OP's post.

[quote]No resolution was needed, hunty, for an EST that really pissed a lot of people off.

OP's inability to get help and the way she keeps dramatically feeding us little bits of information makes me think OP's an EST. I actually wish she was since I'd hate to know her cat is possibly dead or suffering right now.

by Anonymousreply 122June 19, 2019 6:22 PM

What book is that, R122?

by Anonymousreply 123June 19, 2019 6:24 PM

R123, John Connolly's The Lovers.

by Anonymousreply 124June 19, 2019 6:26 PM

My cat has a hiding place inside my home that I have never been able to discover. She is lost for hours and then suddenly appears. I looked all over for her too but now just let her hide out. It is what cats do.

by Anonymousreply 125June 19, 2019 6:27 PM

Thank you, R122.

by Anonymousreply 126June 19, 2019 6:32 PM

R125, get a room camera and move it around every now and then to find the housing place.

by Anonymousreply 127June 19, 2019 6:34 PM

Two days? Small apartment? Sounds like an EST.

Not that it can't happen, it did to me. One bedroom apartment and just about lost my mind looking for one of cats. And that was after about 30 minutes. I looked over every single part of the apartment 3 or 4 times over.

Finally, found her in my big rolling suitcase in my bedroom closet. She had jumped on it but the zipper at the top was unzipped and she fell through. I was looking at that suitcase multiple times but didn't think she was in there because I keep it zipped up, one reason being to keep the cats out. Finally, desperate, I unzipped the suitcase and there was she was. Stupid cat sat there in the suitcase, waiting quietly for me to discover her. She's the quiet one and does not meow for attention like her sister. I had forgotten I had unzipped the top to air the bag out after using it. This was all less than 1 hour. How OP can go 2 days in a small apartment and not find her cat is bordering on trolling.

by Anonymousreply 128June 19, 2019 7:19 PM

The fact that there have been a ton of suggestions and the OP just repeats that they've look in their closet and under the bed over and over while not acknowledging the other advice makes me suspect an EST.

by Anonymousreply 129June 19, 2019 7:25 PM

Hire a Bloodhound, OP

by Anonymousreply 130June 19, 2019 7:31 PM

Maybe she left.

by Anonymousreply 131June 19, 2019 7:34 PM

The Rapture

by Anonymousreply 132June 19, 2019 7:35 PM

Do you live close to a Chinese restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 133June 19, 2019 7:36 PM

Can I have your cat’s stuff?

by Anonymousreply 134June 19, 2019 7:37 PM

OP, do you live near the legitimate theater?

Maybe your cat is there.

by Anonymousreply 135June 19, 2019 7:41 PM

As R51 has suggested, if there are any adjoining walls to your small apartment, then you really need to talk to the neighbors. That would include ceilings and floors.

by Anonymousreply 136June 19, 2019 7:42 PM

R122, agree. Telltale sign of an EST troll is the over dramatics, like repeatedly saying they're sobbing and can't stop crying. Then bitch, why haven't you called someone in to find the damn thing before it's too late?!

by Anonymousreply 137June 19, 2019 7:43 PM

"Saint Anthony, please come around Something is lost that must be found."

Never fails

by Anonymousreply 138June 19, 2019 7:49 PM

Shine a flashlight up into the bottoms of the cabinets and behind the fridge, etc. if she sees the flashlight she may meow, or get pissed her hiding place is discovered and come out.

by Anonymousreply 139June 19, 2019 7:52 PM

Also, get a mirror and look under all the upper cabinets, sometimes there is a gap between two of them. Put the mirror near any other hiding places you can’t reach. Leave cat food on top of the counter. If she’s in a cabinet she will smell it.

by Anonymousreply 140June 19, 2019 7:54 PM

Have you looked up your ass?

by Anonymousreply 141June 19, 2019 8:03 PM

My cat actually figured out how to open a secured French window and escaped outside my suburban house. I was losing my mind, because he had never been outside on his own in his life. I got on the net and learned that the distance an escaped cat will go is correlated with how confident they are with people - the more outgoing and confident, the further they will venture. I made my husband come home from work, and we spent the whole day and most of the night crawling through my close neighbours' bushes and properties. At 3 am, we gave up, exhausted, and went to bed. An hour later, I heard meowing under the very window from which he escaped. He was covered in cobwebs; clearly he'd been under the house. Having never missed a meal in his entire spoiled and pampered life, he was "starving.'

My point is that we had searched for hours around the property and under the house, and he never once made a sound or movement.

by Anonymousreply 142June 19, 2019 8:04 PM

You'd think when kitty heard it's mom/dad crying she would come out to comfort them?

by Anonymousreply 143June 19, 2019 8:09 PM

I think OP has been holding Kitty hostage for years and she finally made a break for it.

by Anonymousreply 144June 19, 2019 8:13 PM

What was the outcome of this guys cat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145June 19, 2019 8:20 PM

There was no outcome R145 he never answered

by Anonymousreply 146June 19, 2019 8:22 PM

OP needs to understand that posters are starting to turn on him/her because he/she obviously hasn't checked every square inch of that place. You said that cat had no possible way of leaving your apartment. So it logically follows that she is still inside of it. As you say, the apartment is small - it should NOT take more than an afternoon of meticulous searching for an able-bodied individual to turn over every piece of furniture in such a limited space.

Can you see why we're getting exasperated here?

by Anonymousreply 147June 19, 2019 8:32 PM

P.S. Your cat is dead.

by Anonymousreply 148June 19, 2019 8:38 PM

Are there any holes or openings in the walls behind your kitchen cabinets like under the sink where the pipes and drain go through? I have four cats and they love to crawl and hide in the lower kitchen cabinets and I’ve blocked as best I could the area where the plumbing goes through in fear on of them may try to hide and get stuck between the walls.. I hope you find your baby and good luck

by Anonymousreply 149June 19, 2019 8:43 PM

Not to make light of OP's distress and the puzzling situation, but it seems obvious that the cat has donned her Cloak Of Invisibility (they all have one) and isn't about to remove it until she's good and ready.

by Anonymousreply 150June 19, 2019 8:48 PM

R149, a phone is good for that. Put the phone on video, then point it anywhere you can’t reach. If you see a kitty on the video, there you go.

by Anonymousreply 151June 19, 2019 8:50 PM

R148 I loved that book as a teenager, first gay sex I read about, and very S&M. Never saw the stage production though.

by Anonymousreply 152June 19, 2019 8:55 PM

Ignore the jokers, OP.

Keep us updated. We care.

Xoxo

by Anonymousreply 153June 19, 2019 9:05 PM

Scatter some catnip around.

by Anonymousreply 154June 19, 2019 9:05 PM

OP = Wendy the slow adult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 19, 2019 9:10 PM

Now clear your mind, OP. It knows what scares you. It has from the very beginning. Don't give it any help, it knows too much already And stay away from the light, Catty Anne

by Anonymousreply 156June 19, 2019 9:13 PM

The cat got out. That simple.

by Anonymousreply 157June 19, 2019 9:36 PM

I agree with r157. The cat got out.

by Anonymousreply 158June 19, 2019 9:38 PM

I could care less, R153. It's probably just the kitten guy rehashing the story with a more believable schtick.

Nope, it's an EST. OP would've updated one way or another and hasn't and is putting out lame stories of the cat being adopted from abusive neighbors, that's it's shy and won't come out, blah blah blah.

You get a -20/10, OP, because you're an asshole. The gym bro story was better.

by Anonymousreply 159June 19, 2019 10:40 PM

Ok, Google was no help. What’s an EST?

by Anonymousreply 160June 19, 2019 10:42 PM

One of DL's favorites, R160: an Elaborate Scenario Troll....

by Anonymousreply 161June 19, 2019 10:42 PM

Thanks, r161!

by Anonymousreply 162June 19, 2019 10:44 PM

After 24 hours being stuck in a large moving bag, my little Booger started howling like a banshee and wouldn't stop. Found him in no time. OP is a lying liar. Watch. He'll come back on and tell us the kitters is dead or some other drivel.

Photos, OP, or it did not happen.

by Anonymousreply 163June 19, 2019 10:47 PM

That cat hates your ass and found a better place.

by Anonymousreply 164June 19, 2019 10:48 PM

For you, dear OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 19, 2019 10:55 PM

The meow is coming from inside the house.

by Anonymousreply 166June 19, 2019 10:58 PM

He designated himself an emotional support animal and took the Delta to Paris, OP. Au Revoir, sucker!

by Anonymousreply 167June 19, 2019 11:11 PM

They made the movie already....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 19, 2019 11:35 PM

Well? What the hell happened?

by Anonymousreply 169June 20, 2019 12:15 AM

You have been abandoned, R169, just like OP's cat.

There are cases of cats going missing like this and coming back. Hopefully OP will find either his cat or his conscience and provide a scathing update.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170June 20, 2019 12:21 AM

I think we have - all of us - been had.

by Anonymousreply 171June 20, 2019 12:43 AM

Not me, R171 -- I knew it was a Cloak Of Invisibility situation from the outset. Been there, done that, so I can spot 'em a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 172June 20, 2019 1:11 AM

Is this your cat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173June 20, 2019 1:14 AM

Did you look inside the fridge? Sometimes cats will hop in when you have the door open and turn around. But then, the cat would be dead by now.

by Anonymousreply 174June 20, 2019 1:18 AM

My God you people are gullible.

by Anonymousreply 175June 20, 2019 1:34 AM

OP, did you check inside your toothpaste tube and shampoo bottle? Cats have the ability to flatten themselves and squeeze into small spaces. I've seen this before.

by Anonymousreply 176June 20, 2019 1:37 AM

I am sorry not to have answered until now. Believe me, I have scoured the place. I did find a hole in the wall with exposed pipes at the back of the kitchen sink.

[quote]She must be stuck between the walls. That happened to my cat a few years ago. My dad "found her" months later while doing the plumbing for the kitchen. She was all mummified by then. Poor Beatrix. 🐈

So sad, and this is my main focus, except that she would have notified me. She can yell. She has a big Siamese voicebox. The only exposed part is under the sink. I looked inside the drywall with a flashlight but didn't expect to find anything because there's a door on the sink base she would have to open. But this scenario above is what I fear. Except I'm worried that maybe she went off somewhere to die . . . not that she's trapped. Only thing is that she was her normal self two nights ago. She always squeezes in with me on the armchair and rubs her head against my leg.

I appreciate the concern. There were 77 messages when I came in earlier. This is not an EST. I'm a longstanding DLer and even mentioned Asia on this thread when I finally trapped her and brought her in the house. She grew into a beautiful cat but still distrusted people. I put a house for her on the side porch but she would jump a total of nine feet every time I came to bring her food. Terrified. When I took her to the vet he said she wasn't feral. She was just a stray. He told me she was spayed and declawed. She was a tough little fighter who's turned into a loving, affectionate cat. My guess is she's around six or seven years old.

I'll keep you guys updated, and tks again for the good advice . . . and the snark. All appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 177June 20, 2019 1:37 AM

That's it, OP...feed the birds. Keep them coming back.

by Anonymousreply 178June 20, 2019 1:41 AM

OMG!!! I JUST OPENED THE BACK DOOR AND THERE SHE WAS. I SWEAR!! SOMEHOW SHE GOT OUT.

She's been out there for two nights. I have no idea how. But she's back. She was yelling at the top of her voice and now she's scarfing down her dinner. I wonder why it took so long for her to come to the door.

Thank you DL.

by Anonymousreply 179June 20, 2019 1:53 AM

And...scene.

by Anonymousreply 180June 20, 2019 1:56 AM

R179, Something similar happened to me. Once time my roommate opened the front door and Honey Catt ran out. Made him walk around the apt complex yelling her name. He was mad I gave her such a feminine mane. Took a couple of days for her to be hungry enough to appear at my front door meowing. We lived up a flight of stairs on the 2nd floor. She'd never been out before so I was surprised she found her way home.

by Anonymousreply 181June 20, 2019 2:00 AM

I'm believing this. I'm glad it worked out, OP. 🤗

by Anonymousreply 182June 20, 2019 2:15 AM

I'm very happy for you and Asia OP. I had started to suspect that she had managed to run outside. Cats can be very stealthy and quiet about escaping and they often develop wanderlust out of nowhere. This is wonderful news,thanks for updating! Give the Sweet girl some extra head rubs tonight.

by Anonymousreply 183June 20, 2019 2:18 AM

That must be it R181. She finally got hungry and decided to end her adventure. I now have to figure out where the spot is that allowed her to get out. Possible I cracked my back door. Only thing I can think of. Will be vigilant from now on. I was halfway through the stages of grief, lol.

BTW Very funny about Honey Catt. Ha ha!!

by Anonymousreply 184June 20, 2019 2:21 AM

Cats are such assholes.

by Anonymousreply 185June 20, 2019 2:25 AM

Your cat needed some space from you, OP. You must be stifling and oppressive.

by Anonymousreply 186June 20, 2019 2:27 AM

I know just how you feel, OP.

I once left the door unlocked, and my husband got out!

by Anonymousreply 187June 20, 2019 2:33 AM

R179 / OP so happy for you both! You can now relax and enjoy your evening.

by Anonymousreply 188June 20, 2019 2:33 AM

Great News, OP! My Buster slipped out on a Friday and ended up trapped in a neighbor's garage(unbeknownst to us) who were away for a long weekend. We looked everywhere outside, and he was nowhere to be found. I was distraught and tearful as the weekend wore on and had given up all hope until the neighbors came home on the Monday night, opened their garage door to park their car, and suddenly Buster appeared at the door howling to be let in! He was ravenous and thirsty and slept for two days straight on the couch. Me? I was crying tears of joy.

I love a happy ending! Stay safe & treats all around. It's time for a big glass of wine!

by Anonymousreply 189June 20, 2019 2:43 AM

OP, if you have levers on the doors, make sure they’re deadbolted or there’s a chain lock or something. I’ve seen cats open lever doors that are unlocked. Then if they get out and the door falls shut behind them, they can’t get back in. And check the screens to make sure there’s no holes or loose screens.

by Anonymousreply 190June 20, 2019 3:02 AM

R75 is that Catsy Ramsay?

by Anonymousreply 191June 20, 2019 3:20 AM

One time, I let my cat outside for the day, and it didn't return as usual that night. The next morning, there was still no sign of the cat. By afternoon, I was worried. I was at my kitchen sink window, and I heard a growling noise. I went outside and walked towards the woods across from my kitchen sink. There in the tall grass was my cat ...and another unknown cat. The unknown cat was staring down my cat, daring her to move. My cat sat there frozen in terror. The unknown cat saw me and ran away. My exhausted cat ran towards the door of the house and tore into her food. There's no telling how long she was trapped there by that other cat's threatening gaze. Cats can be so mean!

by Anonymousreply 192June 20, 2019 3:23 AM

So, folks, if there were a thread about a lost cat, and eventually someone posted about its being found, would you care if that post was fake, as long as you didn't know it was fake?

by Anonymousreply 193June 20, 2019 3:33 AM

Thank you for the happy update!

by Anonymousreply 194June 20, 2019 3:36 AM

Oh, thank Christ, Taffy!

by Anonymousreply 195June 20, 2019 3:38 AM

Why do you people have those things in your house?

by Anonymousreply 196June 20, 2019 3:43 AM

R193 I think I'd want to be fooled into a happy ending. There are so few these days.

by Anonymousreply 197June 20, 2019 3:48 AM

Oh and lay off the Xanax, toots.

by Anonymousreply 198June 20, 2019 3:58 AM

R196, I was enjoying a petless life when one dark and stormy night a cat walked into my vacant house for let. It nearly starved before I went back to check on the house and found a very scrawny, starved cat had been locked inside for weeks.

I still have her. Fat and sassy now.

by Anonymousreply 199June 20, 2019 4:02 AM

Slightly off-topic: isn't declawing considered animal cruelty? It's definitely forbidden here in Europe. How could a declawed cat can then fend off natural enemies?

by Anonymousreply 200June 20, 2019 4:31 AM

Yes R200. It's roughly the equivalent of chopping off your fingers above the first joint in order to not have fingernails.

by Anonymousreply 201June 20, 2019 5:04 AM

OP: I can imagine how relieved you were when you heard her calling for you.

A happy ending at last.

And I don't even like cats.

But I like people to be happy with their pets.

by Anonymousreply 202June 20, 2019 5:09 AM

OP - if this is a true story, I understand every emotion you have experienced and am really happy for you. Please keep a watchful eye on your kitty, because a declawed cat is a defenseless cat.

To the posters here - I get how creating an attention-getting EST might be fun and satisfying for you, but please think twice before you post one about a truly traumatic and painful situation, especially to do with a pet. DLers can be amazingly empathetic and compassionate, but if they have been jerked around too many times by EST pranksters, cynicism kicks in and the compassion that is genuinely needed will be withheld.

by Anonymousreply 203June 20, 2019 5:18 AM

OP needs to post a picture of Asia with today's paper. No other way.

by Anonymousreply 204June 20, 2019 5:18 AM

R203 Honestly, this story had the ring of truth to me. I'm happy for OP and Asia.

by Anonymousreply 205June 20, 2019 5:22 AM

Like a ransomer

by Anonymousreply 206June 20, 2019 5:22 AM

R204 I concur, I'm very happy if this is true but Asia is a distinctive cat and we would like a picture as proof OP didn't find the image via Google.

by Anonymousreply 207June 20, 2019 5:26 AM

I'm glad you found your cat, OP!

by Anonymousreply 208June 20, 2019 5:27 AM

R199, bless you🤗

R201 is correct. It's increasingly outlawed.

by Anonymousreply 209June 20, 2019 5:50 AM

R203, Mickey Katt Jr could open my bedroom door, the refrigerator door and scoop out food from the top shelf, and cupboards. Although very small he was a brilliant kitty. So I can believe you feline could teach himself to open a window and climb out.

by Anonymousreply 210June 20, 2019 6:00 AM

Yay, a happy ending!

Now, I can take a sigh of relief.

by Anonymousreply 211June 20, 2019 6:55 AM

Yay, OP.

Yay, Asia Kitty.

by Anonymousreply 212June 20, 2019 8:20 AM

Woke up this morning and she was sitting on the chair and now I can't believe how worked up I got over this. Who says DL has no heart? I remember when I posted about Asia a few years back and, just like this time, the thread got a lot of replies. The picture at R26 looks like her, same black mask and blue eyes. I got it off google. When she came in last night she was meowing so loud, like she was telling me what happened. Calmed down pretty quick and scarfed down all her wet food and then started on the dry food and water. My big regret is that I didn't trap her earlier when she was outside. I thought she was feral the way she was afraid of me. She lived through all four seasons for a couple of years. It was only after her fur got so matted that she started chewing it off down to the skin that I trapped her and took her to the vet because she had these flaps. Re the declawing, I'm glad it's against the law now. The couple who kicked her out did that to her. Declawed her and then kicked her out when they realized she used their boat as a toilet. Anyway, tks again. DL rocks and apparently has a lot of cats.

by Anonymousreply 213June 20, 2019 10:00 AM

Glad she's home safe & sound OP

by Anonymousreply 214June 20, 2019 10:32 AM

OP you should take a picture of Asia now that she's back home and post it so all these naysayers will feel properly shamed.

by Anonymousreply 215June 20, 2019 10:40 AM

I just saw this on Facebook:

'A domestic cat lives 15+ years

A feral cat lives 4 years

An abandoned cat lives 3 months.'

So it's pretty amazing your kitty survived outside for 2 years, OP, especially without claws.

by Anonymousreply 216June 20, 2019 11:02 AM

2 years? Did you even read the posts? The cat was gone for 2 DAYS.

by Anonymousreply 217June 20, 2019 11:59 AM

So glad she's back. Ragdolls are gorgeous big fluffy cats and so friendly.

by Anonymousreply 218June 20, 2019 12:04 PM

[quote] 2 years? Did you even read the posts? The cat was gone for 2 DAYS.

Yes we read the posts. You might do the same.

by Anonymousreply 219June 20, 2019 12:05 PM

This kitty litter is clean.

by Anonymousreply 220June 20, 2019 12:22 PM

At least you got your closet cleaned out, right?

I want to see a real pic of Asia though, not one off Google.

by Anonymousreply 221June 20, 2019 12:28 PM

OP, get your cat chipped in case she gets out again. And put a collar on her with a name tag and your phone number.

A neighbor had a stray cat repeatedly show up at her back door. When the neighbor went outside, the cat would sit on her lap. She thought it was feral until she realized it was declawed. She isn’t a cat person and knows nothing about cats. She scooped it up and took it to a shelter because it’s over a hundred degrees here every day.

If that cat was chipped it would be returned to its owner. I hope it’s okay.

by Anonymousreply 222June 20, 2019 12:33 PM

I'm glad you found your cat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 223June 20, 2019 12:42 PM

I'm glad the story is over, true or not. I'm still a little suspicious about this cat and the OP's story.

OP, you claim that Asia is a ragdoll but now you say she has a loud 'Siamese' voice. If she's a mix, you never mentioned it. Either you just lost control of the details (typical of a lie) or you're just making a comparison to the breed.

Please clarify so that I may sincerely share your joy. Pics would also go a long way to proving this wasn't an EST.

by Anonymousreply 224June 20, 2019 12:50 PM

OP, How did kitty get her name, Asia, if she isn't an Asian breed?

by Anonymousreply 225June 20, 2019 12:54 PM

I don't want reality, R224. I want magic!

by Anonymousreply 226June 20, 2019 12:56 PM

OP until you verify the existence of the cat and indeed your own exisitence I cannot feel joy. Please upload your last four tax returns and a sample of your cat's shit. Remember, I will be most anxious until you do. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 227June 20, 2019 12:56 PM

I would also like to know your routine of caring for this Asia cat, OP, before I believe you even own one.

by Anonymousreply 228June 20, 2019 12:58 PM

OP, some posters won't be satisfied unless you post a photo of your dick, as well. If you start agreeing to all these requests for photographic proof, there will be no end to the increasing demands.

by Anonymousreply 229June 20, 2019 1:26 PM

A Siamese ragdoll that couldn't possibly have gotten out of the apartment, but hey, that's exactly what she did, and she magically showed up right after the tide started to turn on OP. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 230June 20, 2019 1:57 PM

Thank goodness the cellar spider babies didn't get her.

by Anonymousreply 231June 20, 2019 1:58 PM

OP lives in a 50 room mansion, the fucking cunt. We need to guillotine the rich. Every last one of them.

by Anonymousreply 232June 20, 2019 2:00 PM

I hope you've covered that hole behind the kitchen sink, op.

Not only is declawing horrifying and wrong because of the actual amputation, but it also prevents them from being able to properly stretch themselves which leads to atrophy of muscles. They can't grip the floor or a tree, or whatever else. Imagine never being able to fully stretch. It also can lead to their not using the litter box because after surgery it can hurt for them to dig in the litter, so they associate pain with the litter box. It's just wrong.

I had a cat for 16 and a half years that had been declawed when I got her. It was a seriously botched job. I had to get surgery done for her on 4 of her toes because a claw had started to grow out of her toes! My vet said the vet who had done it didn't get all of the material out so it started to grow. Again, through her toes! My poor baby.

by Anonymousreply 233June 20, 2019 2:34 PM

And yet there are people who will rationalize declawing their cats.

by Anonymousreply 234June 20, 2019 2:37 PM

R234, Agreed. They're obstinate and selfish, refuse to face common sense.

by Anonymousreply 235June 20, 2019 2:59 PM

Common sense calls for not having any creature in your house that shreds your furniture and your drapes.

by Anonymousreply 236June 20, 2019 3:00 PM

What "common sense" calls for, r236, is not having animals, period, if furniture and drapes are more important to you than living, sentient beings. I hope no poor cat has to put up with being owned by you.

by Anonymousreply 237June 20, 2019 3:05 PM

Is your cat named Carol Anne?

by Anonymousreply 238June 20, 2019 3:14 PM

[quote]OP until you verify the existence of the cat and indeed your own exisitence I cannot feel joy. Please upload your last four tax returns and a sample of your cat's shit. Remember, I will be most anxious until you do. Thank you.

HA HA HA!!! For those of you who wonder if Asia really exists, and why I call her Asia...Exhibit No. 1 is below.

I called her Asia because I thought she was a Himalayan until someone told me different. She's just like a Ragdoll -- very affectionate, follows you from room to room, and kind of flops over when you pick her up. She's a real puppycat. Thanks again, guys!! I figured out how to put a photo on Imgur so here it is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239June 20, 2019 3:47 PM

She's adorable, OP. Glad she's safe and sound after her big adventure!

by Anonymousreply 240June 20, 2019 3:52 PM

"Puppycat." I love "puppycat."

by Anonymousreply 241June 20, 2019 4:07 PM

She's cute. Has she been ravaged by the neighborhood gang of wild Tom Cats during her escapade?

by Anonymousreply 242June 20, 2019 4:13 PM

she's beautiful

by Anonymousreply 243June 20, 2019 4:26 PM

OP, Happy at Last

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244June 20, 2019 4:46 PM

This is a good time to remind all y'all bitches that the Fourth of July is coming.

Make sure your doors and windows are secure when fireworks are coming.

Give doggie/kitty xanax or whatever is needed beforehand, ask about it now if you think it's needed.

And now is a good time to arrange for kitteh or puppeh to be microchipped, if they have not been already.

by Anonymousreply 245June 20, 2019 4:53 PM

r239 She's beautiful but don't let her escape ever again. You're very lucky something awful didn't happen to her.

by Anonymousreply 246June 20, 2019 5:11 PM

Asia is a beautiful cat. Glad it all worked out. Now that she's had a taste of the outdoors again, you should get her chipped.

I have a Ragdoll who is also a total puppycat. He is awesome. My only complaint is that he is losing his hearing so doesn't seem to be aware of how fucking loud he is talking sometimes, especially at sunrise.

by Anonymousreply 247June 20, 2019 5:14 PM

R179 happy happy! You started my day off with a smile!

by Anonymousreply 248June 20, 2019 5:15 PM

That is one beautiful cat, OP. So feminine and dainty.

by Anonymousreply 249June 20, 2019 5:21 PM

And a slut!

by Anonymousreply 250June 20, 2019 5:43 PM

Your cat (is no longer) in danger gurl

by Anonymousreply 251June 20, 2019 5:45 PM

Thanks for the beautiful picture, OP. I never doubted you because I didn't care whether the story was true, so long as it had a happy ending. And I'm glad you've learned about the hole under the sink, and the importance of getting pets chipped.

by Anonymousreply 252June 20, 2019 6:49 PM

I'm so glad this had a happy ending.

Get her chipped.

by Anonymousreply 253June 20, 2019 6:49 PM

[quote]I have a Ragdoll who is also a total puppycat. He is awesome.

You can probably also attest to how loud a Ragdoll can get! And how affectionate they are. Asia is very vain. She is always willing to pose for the camera. She savors being combed out, knows all the positions she must get in to do it, and queens around afterward like Miss America.

PS She will be getting chipped this week.

by Anonymousreply 254June 20, 2019 8:19 PM

R245 Great reminder! Bought a Thundershirt for my brother's dog and it's a godsend for the month of July that idiots are setting off fireworks!

by Anonymousreply 255June 20, 2019 8:23 PM

Always get your pets spayed or neutered.

by Anonymousreply 256June 20, 2019 8:24 PM

True about fireworks upsetting pets, possibly to the point of panic that causes them to flee -- at any time, not just July 4th (sports events, New Year's Eve, Lunar New Year, graduations, etc.). Animal rescue groups often recommend pheronomes to calm pets -- they're available in sprays and diffusers, so you don't have to medicate the animal. I've never tried them but vets say that they're harmless (except for your wallet).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257June 20, 2019 8:42 PM

What a gorgeous lady she is OP. Your heart must be quite full now that she's home. I know mine would be.

by Anonymousreply 258June 20, 2019 8:47 PM

So many love cats and we worry about them.

by Anonymousreply 259June 21, 2019 12:01 AM

What a gorgeous girl!

Don’t forget to chip her. I’m on Nextdoor and every week somebody’s lost pet turns up with no chip and no way to find their home. People don’t want to take them in because they’re afraid they’ll get stuck with them. They pick up the ones with collars quicker because there’s a good chance they have a chip or a phone number on the collar.

by Anonymousreply 260June 21, 2019 12:13 AM

Just a caveat about chips - you need to get them checked every so often at the vet. My three were chipped and we discovered several years later that the chips could not be found. They had migrated somewhere and apparently this is not uncommon. We would have had to get them chipped again. We ended up driving a different way so as not to have to cross the Swiss border, because I didn't want to do it. (By then they were quite senior, strict indoor cat all their lives.) If I had to do it again, I would opt for a tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 261June 21, 2019 12:29 AM

Thanks for mentioning this R261. My cat is chipped but she scratches the area every once in a while. It seems to be in an awkward place. I’ll ask them to check when she gets her shots next year.

by Anonymousreply 262June 21, 2019 2:14 AM

She looks like a real frau cat and she must hed like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 263June 21, 2019 2:29 AM

Thanks for the pic! Lovely!

R245 is right about 7/4! Careful everyone!

by Anonymousreply 264June 21, 2019 7:01 AM

It is a beautiful cat who will always need you, she could never keep her coat cean by herself.

by Anonymousreply 265June 21, 2019 7:16 AM

The Fourth of July (shortened to "the Fourth") is now "7/4"? Kill me now.

by Anonymousreply 266June 21, 2019 7:38 AM

r266 It used to be called Independence Day and The Fourth of July was considered disrespectful. Times change.

by Anonymousreply 267June 21, 2019 7:47 AM

July 4, then.

by Anonymousreply 268June 21, 2019 7:48 AM

Do you actually pronounce it "seven-four," r267?

by Anonymousreply 269June 21, 2019 7:49 AM

I was being lazy thus 7/4.

by Anonymousreply 270June 21, 2019 8:26 AM

Will a Thundershirt fit a mini dachshund (just under 10 pounds)?

She is very skinny with a broad ribcage so there's a dramatic "swoop" from her chest to her tummy

by Anonymousreply 271June 21, 2019 9:29 AM

Has anyone ever had any success taking their cats out for a walk?

by Anonymousreply 272June 21, 2019 11:06 AM

R272, I took mine to a park, put her in a harness, held the leash, let her slither about the ground for a bit, then carried her home.

It went about as well as I suspected it would.

by Anonymousreply 273June 21, 2019 11:14 AM

I had a neighbor once who had a Pomeranian and a 2 Siamese cats. She would take them all out for walks every day. The dog would be on a leash, and she had something similar to this for the kitties to chill out in. The pusses could take in the views while the pup did his business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274June 21, 2019 11:26 AM

R273, Thinking she's like some fresh air, I once put my kitty in a cheap harness and carried her outside. She didn't understand the concept of walking in a reasonably straight format. Finally she got under a fence and I had to pull her out.

I carried her home where she attacked the leash and destroyed it.

Have heard others were more successful, however.

by Anonymousreply 275June 21, 2019 11:27 AM

If you don't start leash training for a cat when it's very young the chances at success are very low.

by Anonymousreply 276June 21, 2019 11:30 AM

R276, I've never seen someone successfully walk a cat. How young should I have started? Will a kitten actually walk in a reasonably straight line or will it just lie around in whatever grass he/she finds?

by Anonymousreply 277June 21, 2019 11:32 AM

There is a cat called Laila on FB that weighs over 20 lb and her owners are trying very hard to reduce her weight.She goes to fat camp once a week and has a treadmill of her own. I've always managed to have a terrace, balcony or enclosed lawn for my cats, always under supervision. I believe they have a need for fresh air, sunshine, the scents of the outside world, and visual stimulation.

by Anonymousreply 278June 21, 2019 11:38 AM

Fat camp for cats with treadmills? My late 70's neighbor wouldn't listen to me when I repeatedly begged her to stop overfeeding her cats. One just died at about 8 years. She was 40+ pounds. Ironically the old woman is extremely thin and barely eats. Mental health issues, I know.

by Anonymousreply 279June 21, 2019 11:44 AM

R277 if you start them out when they are about 8 weeks old they will eventually adjust to the lack of roaming ability while on leash. It's like training a cat to be a 24/7 indoor cat. Once you let them get a good enough taste of freedom it's that much harder to break them of it. It all depends on the particular cat's personality. some adult cats can be leash trained and some simply can't. Some can be trained to stay indoors all the time and some can't.

by Anonymousreply 280June 21, 2019 11:52 AM

R280, Thank you for your informative response. Was thinking that maybe Asia, like my 100% indoor cats, wanted to explore the outside and get more fresh air. Just looking out the window wasn't enough. Of course they're much safer inside. Lucky to those who can provide sheltered patios and balconies.

by Anonymousreply 281June 21, 2019 11:55 AM

You have to remember that house cats, just like wild felines, are natural born hunters. It is in their genetic makeup to want to be outside hunting something to kill. They are in many ways much smarter and far more obstinate animals than dogs. They don't take to change very easily. Like humans, start training them early enough and you get a much better outcome.

by Anonymousreply 282June 21, 2019 12:00 PM

Take the stick outta yer ass, R237. That is one thing you need never worry about.

by Anonymousreply 283June 21, 2019 12:10 PM

R282, my indoor cat howls if a bug gets in, so I can come and kill it for her. She also refuses to go in the bedroom until I turn the light on, because she’s afraid of the dark. She does this weird thing of having her tail in a u shape, standing on her tiptoes and crabwalking sideways out of the bedroom if it’s dark in there and I don’t go in first. I’ve started to think it’s haunted.

One day she ran into the bedroom ahead of me, then quickly crabwalked out with her tail that U shape, staring at me with big eyes.. Ever since, she doesn’t want to go in first.

I have to assume the worst.

by Anonymousreply 284June 21, 2019 4:02 PM

My indoor cat howls after he has used his litter tray. He wants me to come in and wipe is ass and paws, which of course I do.

by Anonymousreply 285June 21, 2019 4:04 PM

[quote]It is a beautiful cat who will always need you, she could never keep her coat clean by herself.

You know, Asia somehow manages to do it. When she lived outside, and it rained or stormed, she would go under the deck out back. She'd come out afterwards and be covered with brown dirt, but then the next day she had cleaned herself up. When she got matted, she chewed her fur off to the skin and had these flaps, which is when she was trapped and taken to the vet. She is really into self-grooming, but now I just help her with a steel comb a couple times a week. She loves the attention.

I never thought this thread would reach almost 300 replies. A lot of cat lovers on DL.

by Anonymousreply 286June 21, 2019 5:21 PM

R271 Yes! They make Thundershirt in that size and its somewhat adjustable around the chest with a velcro strap. The company makes several different calming products.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287June 21, 2019 11:26 PM

R285 lol you big softie!

R286 yes cats seem to be one of the few things that united Dataloungers. You can imagine the hatred it generates when a thread about a missing kitty turns out to be an EST. Fur flies!

Asia is indeed a beautiful puppycat

by Anonymousreply 288June 21, 2019 11:42 PM

You don't walk a cat on a leash, they walk you. Basically, you hold the leash while they do whatever they do and intervene if they are going to get into trouble. Be sure to get a cat-specific harness because they will get out of a neck-only collar in no time. Even the cat harnesses do hold them in 100% of the time. You know how they can squirrel out of things.

One of mine liked to explore the perimeters of the apartment building but her sister was too scared to go beyond the porch steps. So I would just sit on the steps while she sat on the porch. After a few minutes, we would go inside. We stopped doing this for a couple of reasons, the cat who liked going outside started meowing incessantly to go out. And second, a neighborhood cat was around and would rile up the skittish sister and she would react psychotically. Literally, she had to go on Prozac. So now they stay indoors. Luckily, the one liked going inside has forgotten about going indoors.

My cats will do #2 and then run out to tell me they're done. Which means I should scoop. They never do this for #1 and luckily, not when I'm sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 289June 21, 2019 11:49 PM

R289 here, I apologize for the befuddling part of my post. Long day at work...

by Anonymousreply 290June 21, 2019 11:58 PM

I wish I'd never told my cat "good job" when she took her first shit. Now she trots over like she's won the Kentucky Derby and wants her prize.

by Anonymousreply 291June 22, 2019 12:11 AM

My cat is afraid of water, but lately she’s been obsessed with watching me take a bath and sticking her paw in the water, then shaking it off. Then she looks at me with big eyes and howls as if to say, don’t you know you’re going to drown? She has to keep coming back and checking. This is the same cat that practically died of fear when I had to wash her.

Showers are even worse. She puts her nose up to the glass and cries anxiously. I have to take showers with the glass door ajar now so she can put her paw in. Apparently she thinks I might drown in the shower too. She usually hits me on the way out of the bathroom, like she’s chastising me for going in the water.

by Anonymousreply 292June 22, 2019 1:45 AM

Was told cats hate the sound of running water. So if you must wash them remember that fact.

Always when I used to take a bath I had a cat staring at me, with paws perched on the edge of the tub. Never understood why.

by Anonymousreply 293June 22, 2019 2:03 AM

This cat sits on the edge of the tub as close as she can to my head. Then she howls periodically, in between putting her paw in the water. Today I had to put my knee out of the water so she could touch it. Just checking for something, but I don’t know what.

Maybe her last owner drowned.

by Anonymousreply 294June 22, 2019 5:34 AM

I recently saw a funny video of an anxious cat trying to rescue its' owner from the bath. She kept trying to tug the owner's arm, as if she was trying to pull her out of the tub.

by Anonymousreply 295June 22, 2019 6:54 AM

R295 I've seen that same video.

Oftentimes, people will "anthropomorphize" (attribute humanlike intentions to) their pet's actions.

For example, when a dog licks a wound on someone's arm, they'll say it's because the dog is trying to help heal it. As much as I love dogs, I've never really bought that myself—I've always just assumed that the dog liked the taste of blood.

But when I watch the vid of the cat trying to "rescue" the owner from the bath, that really does look like what it's trying to do. Can't explain it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 296June 22, 2019 7:05 AM

Your story matches mine, OP. Unfortunately I haven't found him. I don't know if he is dead somewhere in the crawl spaces or if he got outside...he was an indoor only cat. However he was 18 years old and getting a little confused. I have looked everywhere I can using lights and mirrors on sticks. I did post flyers in the neighborhood on the off chance he got out. It's like he disappeared into thin air. It still breaks my heart. If he is dead in the house, I haven't noticed any odd smell. I still hope I find him even though it's been 2 months.

by Anonymousreply 297June 22, 2019 9:14 AM

I am so sorry, R297, truly. That would have been my worst nightmare, and I doubt I would ever recover. All of my cats have died in my arms, a couple being euthanased.

by Anonymousreply 298June 22, 2019 9:28 AM

One of my cats used to prowl around the edge of the bathtub while I was taking a shower. He was perfectly surefooted, and never fell in, but I thought it was so peculiar. Cats HATE water, I'd always thought.

by Anonymousreply 299June 22, 2019 11:06 AM

Wow R297. Heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 300June 22, 2019 7:30 PM

R297 Some cats prefer to die alone, and it is in no way a reflection upon their relationship with their owner.

by Anonymousreply 301June 22, 2019 7:39 PM

So sorry R207 you sound like you were a very caring owner though.

by Anonymousreply 302June 22, 2019 8:04 PM

Very sorry r297. My 18 year old cat has taken up a new habit of hanging out in a closet where my hot water heater is. It doesn't throw off heat, and is in the basement so she has to go out of her way to get there (down a steep staircase). I put a bed in there for her. I think she heads there every day thinking it's time to die. She's lost all her cat mojo, doesn't like to play anymore, rarely likes to snuggle. Her only joy is to sit outside with me in the sunshine, so I treasure those moments, and am grateful for beautiful weather we had on the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 303June 24, 2019 3:21 PM

r303 Well shit, that was a heavy post.

by Anonymousreply 304June 24, 2019 3:24 PM

Did OP find his cat?

by Anonymousreply 305June 24, 2019 3:39 PM

Yes, the ending is at r179 and a photo at r239.

by Anonymousreply 306June 24, 2019 3:44 PM

Didn't mean it to be heavy, r304. Was replying to r297 whose 18-year old cat is also missing. Some cats sense when it's time to die and want to be alone. An 18-year old cat is the equivalent age of an 88-year old human. I love my cat but know we have limited time together. She's healthy and doesn't seem to be in pain, is eating, drinking and using the litter box but it is clear to me that she is winding down. I try to make each day a little special for her.

by Anonymousreply 307June 24, 2019 3:44 PM

r307 I didn't mean it in a bad way. We should all be mindful that there is an end to everything and cuddle and coddle our pets as much as possible every day while there's still time.

by Anonymousreply 308June 24, 2019 3:47 PM

This is the plot of the latest Chucky movie.

OP = Aubrey Plaza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309June 24, 2019 4:38 PM

R303, is she ill? Renal failure? Cats hide when they are ill.

by Anonymousreply 310June 24, 2019 5:04 PM

[quote]Cats hide when they are ill

Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 311June 24, 2019 5:08 PM

Yes, it's true. Cats do hide when they're ill but they don't meow or call out when they're doing so. If OP has heard her meowing then she is trying to communicate - she may have crawled into some crawl space or in the walls and gotten stuck. OP please call a professional exterminator experienced with larger animals like raccoons and possums - not to do any extermination obviously!! But they'll know where to look in every nook and cranny. Cats are survivors but she does need to be found ASAP for her own safety.

by Anonymousreply 312June 24, 2019 5:09 PM

Of course it's true, R311. Cats hide when they are injured or ill in the wild so a predator won't get them. They don't go to some mystical cat place like the elephants' graveyard because they know that death is approaching.

R312, OP's cat had gotten out and turned up at his door.

by Anonymousreply 313June 24, 2019 5:13 PM

r310, I had her to the vet in April. No health issues. Just old age.

by Anonymousreply 314June 24, 2019 5:15 PM

R303 My elderly cat loved her kitty heating pad. I placed it under her bed which was in front of a window so she could see outside and enjoy all the birds in the yard.

I used one like this - "K&H Pet Products Pet Bed Warmer - Place Inside Most Any Pet Bed" ; $20 from Amazon. ( the link is too long to enter below)

and placed it under a heat reflecting self warming round donut bed since since always slept curled up. I got one with a removable cover so I could wash it regularly. She loved it, and as an elderly she was in it a lot especially during the winter.

At 18 she was getting arthritic and slowing down, then started getting chronic UTI's at 19 (watch for any blood in the urine or unusual litterbox activity or general apathy), which necessitated monthly vet visits for antibiotic shots, then suddenly got quite ill and passed. She never hid, in fact she never left my side. She was always my Velcro kitty from the time she was a baby. Her greatest joy in her last years was to go for a daily walk with me around the garden on sunny days. Once around then we'd head back in together and she'd have a contented nap beside me.

Try the heating mat/sleeper - it might keep her upstairs with you and comfortable and out of the basement. Do ensure that she's not in uncontrolled pain from arthritis, or has a simmering UTI (quite common with old girls) - take her for a checkup to be sure. (Cats really hide pain well - odd behavior may be the only clue.) Add fish oils, Omega3's and/or salmon to her diet. Good luck, 18 is a big number for cats, though 3 of mine made it into their 20s with only some late onset arthritis until renal failure did them in.

All the best and give your girl a chin scratch for me.

by Anonymousreply 315June 24, 2019 7:01 PM

R303 / R310 Slow to post - just noticed you had recently had her to the vet. If they did a urine culture and blood panel, and it was all good, then likely she's got some old age arthritis. Do keep a close eye on her - things can change quickly when they're elderly.

by Anonymousreply 316June 24, 2019 7:09 PM

^^^ meant R314 not 310

by Anonymousreply 317June 24, 2019 7:10 PM

I'm sorry R297. I lost a cat too and it's the not knowing that is the worst. I'm scared one of the assholes neighbors did something to him.

by Anonymousreply 318June 24, 2019 7:39 PM

My childhood cat just disappeared one day, when he was about 17. He was half-blind and arthritic, but he made it out of the house. My parents looked all over the neighborhood but never found him. It's possible he crawled under some obscure bush to die, or maybe one of the local foxes got him. But he lived all 17 years on his own terms, and he chose his own manner of death. I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 319June 24, 2019 7:44 PM

Tell me about the elephant graveyard.

by Anonymousreply 320June 24, 2019 7:48 PM

We may live with a cat but they are in their own world.

by Anonymousreply 321June 24, 2019 7:49 PM

That is so deep. Is that from Confucius?

by Anonymousreply 322June 24, 2019 7:51 PM

My 17 year old sick cat disappeared one evening. When she hadn't come back by the next afternoon I knew she'd gone off to die. It's been ten years and I still miss her.

by Anonymousreply 323June 24, 2019 7:57 PM

I also heard that cats don't like to stay in the house with a dying person. Don't know if it's true or not.

by Anonymousreply 324June 24, 2019 8:57 PM

R315 you sound like a wonderful kitty owner too

by Anonymousreply 325June 25, 2019 5:06 AM

R324, I know they get very anxious about being around another cat that’s dying. We had a cat that was very ill and another cat. The night the sick cat died, the other cat, who was not huggy at all, came and sat on my chest and I could feel her heart racing. She was scared. We both knew the other cat was dying, and in the morning she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 326June 25, 2019 5:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!