Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Big Little Lies' S02E02: Tell-Tale Hearts

[quote]Renata faces an uncertain future when Gordon lands in legal trouble; Celeste opens up to Mary-Louise about her relationship with Perry; Ed confronts Madeline about her secrets.

9 pm ET/PT on HBO. No Tonys this week to distract you. You can also tune into [italic]Euphoria[/italic] right after, if you wish to support (fake) cock representation on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286June 26, 2019 12:25 AM

First episode thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 17, 2019 12:42 AM

I hope Mary Louise does something creepy to the women.

by Anonymousreply 2June 17, 2019 12:44 AM

I created that Dern gif because she seems to be the least polarising of the bunch. Everyone likes Laura!

r2 There's apparently a scene with her and Shailene that is just beyond. Though I don't know if it's in this episode or the next.

by Anonymousreply 3June 17, 2019 12:46 AM

I hope Mary Louise is burned at the stake.

by Anonymousreply 4June 17, 2019 12:47 AM

I hope Reese WItherchin gets murdered during this episode.

by Anonymousreply 5June 17, 2019 12:48 AM

R5 I hope so too. But, I have the feeling something will happen to her annoying husband. I think he'll find out what really happened and will try to protect the women, but Mary Louise offs him as a form of revenge for Perry's death.

by Anonymousreply 6June 17, 2019 12:54 AM

The car accident of the season.

by Anonymousreply 7June 17, 2019 1:04 AM

Why is Robin Weigert grouped with those nobodies in the opening credits?

by Anonymousreply 8June 17, 2019 1:04 AM

Are you on drugs?!

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2019 1:06 AM

R8 She should be credited before the kids and the guest stars.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2019 1:06 AM

Bonnie casually strolling like a zombie.

by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2019 1:06 AM

Renata is going to end up broke.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2019 1:07 AM

Distraught Laura Dern is the best kind of Laura Dern.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2019 1:08 AM

"The kind short people have" - OMG!

by Anonymousreply 14June 17, 2019 1:09 AM

That thing Meryl just did with the crucifix - HOLY SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 15June 17, 2019 1:09 AM

This Sheldon guy from the aquarium is so, SO weird.

by Anonymousreply 16June 17, 2019 1:10 AM

I need the surfer boy in my bed.

by Anonymousreply 17June 17, 2019 1:10 AM

I bet the surfer guy is one of those true crime junkies who tries to get gossip on Perry's death for a podcast or blog.

by Anonymousreply 18June 17, 2019 1:12 AM

Robin Weigert has the presence of a MOUNTAIN.

by Anonymousreply 19June 17, 2019 1:12 AM

r18 Oh, good call!

by Anonymousreply 20June 17, 2019 1:12 AM

Is this a flashback

by Anonymousreply 21June 17, 2019 1:13 AM

She wants Celeste to switch herself with Madeline?! What unorthodox witchery is this?!

by Anonymousreply 22June 17, 2019 1:14 AM

Kidman with the most powerful moment of her entire acting career right there.

by Anonymousreply 23June 17, 2019 1:14 AM

Renata dropping fucks all over the place is a thing of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 24June 17, 2019 1:15 AM

I can't believe Renata is about to lose everything.

by Anonymousreply 25June 17, 2019 1:16 AM

You’re joking, right r23?

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2019 1:16 AM

"I will not NOT be rich!" - iconic line from Renata

by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2019 1:17 AM

Where is Nathan and Bonnie's house located at irl?

by Anonymousreply 28June 17, 2019 1:17 AM

r26 Yes, obviously...

by Anonymousreply 29June 17, 2019 1:17 AM

What was that little flash of sea when Bonnie shoved her mom away? Did anyone else see that?

by Anonymousreply 30June 17, 2019 1:19 AM

Damn, this black teacher is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 31June 17, 2019 1:20 AM

What a dumb exercise. She loved the man. So what? She’ll grieve. He’s the father of her kids for Pete Buttigieg’s sake.

by Anonymousreply 32June 17, 2019 1:20 AM

Well, Mary-Louise just found out everything she needed to crack the case wide open.

by Anonymousreply 33June 17, 2019 1:25 AM

Shaleine Woodley’s bangs need to GO, they look like fat tarantulas.

by Anonymousreply 34June 17, 2019 1:25 AM

Show comments on the absence of black people, finally.

by Anonymousreply 35June 17, 2019 1:26 AM

Let’s settle this now= gay sex!

You know it gurl...

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2019 1:26 AM

Renata is trending on Twitter. Laura Dern did THAT.

by Anonymousreply 37June 17, 2019 1:27 AM

What is Reese like IRL?

by Anonymousreply 38June 17, 2019 1:27 AM

I'm guessing Bonnie's mom was an abusive drunk.

by Anonymousreply 39June 17, 2019 1:28 AM

Bonnie's parents are fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 40June 17, 2019 1:29 AM

So Mary Louise is going to sue for custody. The foreshadowing is rather obvious.

by Anonymousreply 41June 17, 2019 1:31 AM

Perry confirms he had a brother, who can be seen in those production photos at Meryl's new place.

by Anonymousreply 42June 17, 2019 1:32 AM

When did Shailene lose every bit of charisma she had ever had? She’s a long way since The Descendants when she lit up the screen. Now with her bad bangs and puffy face. She drags this show down.

by Anonymousreply 43June 17, 2019 1:34 AM

Why is she telling her son all this? Isn't he too young for the truth?

by Anonymousreply 44June 17, 2019 1:36 AM

Adam Scott making everything about himself.

by Anonymousreply 45June 17, 2019 1:36 AM

Whoa, the kids know about Ziggy’s dad!

by Anonymousreply 46June 17, 2019 1:36 AM

Mary-Louise working out the timelines.

by Anonymousreply 47June 17, 2019 1:38 AM

Omg, santeria on BLL!

by Anonymousreply 48June 17, 2019 1:41 AM

This is the meltdown of the century right there.

by Anonymousreply 49June 17, 2019 1:45 AM

Laura Dern is making it hard for Meryl to beat her.

by Anonymousreply 50June 17, 2019 1:46 AM

[quote] Why is she telling her son all this? Isn't he too young for the truth?

The writer had Ziggy say to his mom, "You always lie to me". That was supposed to be the trigger for the truth bomb from his mom.

by Anonymousreply 51June 17, 2019 1:47 AM

Adam Scott must be feeling like the cuckiest of cucks right now.

by Anonymousreply 52June 17, 2019 1:47 AM

That daughter of Reese’s is such a cunt. Actually - both of them.

by Anonymousreply 53June 17, 2019 1:48 AM

r51 Ah, that's why she broke down, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 54June 17, 2019 1:48 AM

Can you imagine being Adam Scott and learning your wife fucked this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 17, 2019 1:49 AM

That glamour shot next to him tho!

by Anonymousreply 56June 17, 2019 1:50 AM

r56 I was laughing at that as well.

He actually had the balls to break up with her, well done.

by Anonymousreply 57June 17, 2019 1:51 AM

Bonnie taking a firm stand against santeria.

The sea flash from earlier finally gets explained - her mom has The Sight!

by Anonymousreply 58June 17, 2019 1:52 AM

This might be a bit inappropriate but Ziggy has the cutest boy haircut.

by Anonymousreply 59June 17, 2019 1:54 AM

R50 Do they both have guest star status?

by Anonymousreply 60June 17, 2019 1:54 AM

Nicole's wig should win an award.

by Anonymousreply 61June 17, 2019 1:56 AM

r61 It is quite spectacular.

by Anonymousreply 62June 17, 2019 1:57 AM

Chloe needs a smackdown.

by Anonymousreply 63June 17, 2019 1:58 AM

I hate ziggys hair. Stupid Sheldon show.

Doesn’t suit him. Looks like Brady bunch dye. That’s showbiz tho

by Anonymousreply 64June 17, 2019 2:00 AM

I’m starting a euphoria thread let’s tune in

by Anonymousreply 65June 17, 2019 2:01 AM

Imagine messing with someone who is wearing a Gucci fanny pack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 17, 2019 2:01 AM

r61 Dern's hair extensions (real hair?) looked amazing while she was driving like a maniac as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67June 17, 2019 2:03 AM

Elizabeth Warren should use this meme in some way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 17, 2019 2:08 AM

Nicole has ruined her face. It looked like a flash mask in those scenes of her in natural lighting.

by Anonymousreply 69June 17, 2019 2:37 AM

Yeah Nicole definitely tweaked her face since last season. She was looking somewhat normal then, but she's looking weird again. Her mouth looks frozen and for some reason her face looks smaller? Like her jaw is wider and her eyes seem closer to her nose. Is it the new wig? Very distracting.

Meryl with the cross necklace (crucifix?) on her chin business. Next week she'll probably start nibbling on the set.

by Anonymousreply 70June 17, 2019 3:50 AM

Wow, fantastic episode tonight.

by Anonymousreply 71June 17, 2019 4:00 AM

Fantastic episode!

by Anonymousreply 72June 17, 2019 4:09 AM

I am not enjoying M in this thing. I’d rather it were someone not well known, giving a breakout performance. And I can’t stand Kidman’s twisted masochistic character.

by Anonymousreply 73June 17, 2019 4:16 AM

[quote]That daughter of Reese’s is such a cunt. Actually - both of them.

I can't stand those girls. The little one has such a big mouth and I suspect that little girl will find out really happened to Perry and will blab to Ed. Ed knowing would probably lead to disaster.

In the preview for the next coming episodes there are hints that Renata's husband Gordon will find out about the lie. I can see some scenario where Gordon agrees to tell Renata everything about his crimes in exchange for wanting to know her secret regarding Perry's death.

by Anonymousreply 74June 17, 2019 4:18 AM

This was a great episode. Huge step up from last week.

[bold]Celeste[/bold] Despite Kidman's face work, she still manages to hit those emotional notes. Her scene with the therapist, which I've seen some commenters call professionally questionable, was powerful. I felt so much dread when she told her to return to that moment, mainly because I hated watching those abuse scenes from season one. They're still just as disturbing as they were then. Intercutting Reese in there was a nice touch.

I actually loved her scenes with Meryl, especially the moment when the truth comes out. You can see both women grappling, and fighting against, their own perceptions of Perry. Mary Louise putting more weight on why she didn't go to the police than whether her son was violent. There's a moment when you can see Celeste sort of... mystified that they're even having the conversation. Well done.

[bold]Madeline[/bold] Okay, first off, loved her challenging Mary Louise! That short people comeback was great. The deterioration of her and Ed's relationship is logical. I don't know that it's the most interesting part of the season so far, but I like that they're giving her character something to grapple with. A lot of people love Madeline, but her drama just pales in comparison to everyone else's, but I like Reese. I don't have much to say about her character. Though I appreciated the moment when it was clear that her daughter just wanted her phone back.

[bold]Renata[/bold] I'm the guy who was bitching about memes last episode, but I'm all for the memes Renata generates. Laura Dern's killing it. I agree with the user who said that she's making it harder for Meryl to just take that supporting actress Emmy. I mean, I can see Meryl winning simply because she's Meryl, but Laura's no slouch in this department. "I will not NOT be rich," is an all timer. On that note, I like the broader commentary on wealth and class. She's got the most to lose in that department, and it's nice to see her status threatened. Loved the moment when she kicked her husband out of the car. All that fraud because he wanted a Gulfstream. The "creatures of want," comment was a nice callback to Mary Louise calling Madeline a wanter.

[bold]Jane[/bold] I don't know where the Shailene hate comes from. Yeah, the bangs aren't hot and the face is puffy, but her performance still feels genuine. She's got a natural, laid back presence about her that makes her stand out amidst her high profile, high strung co-stars. Her love interest came off as less devious this episode, and it's clear he's just on the spectrum. My hope is that he has no other motive than to be a supporting presence in her life. I'm still not attracted to the actor though.

The bombshell about Perry being Ziggy's father was exceptionally handled. You could see how the ripples of that assault continue to affect these characters' lives. I appreciate the healing that she and Celeste seem to be going through though... at least in this respect. The sons brothers awkwardly coming together at the end of the episode was really sweet and hopeful considering the circumstances. I hope for the best for this makeshift family.

[bold]Bonnie[/bold] Geez... that Kravitz is a wet blanket. I'm glad they're giving her character more material, but I wish it were in the hands of a better actress. I liked her last season when things were lighter, but she's got the same dead eyes in every scene. It really sucks the drama out of the episode. That being said, her mother was a lot of fun, the perceptive, witchy woman that she is. I'm not sure why they had to give her the shining, but I like her energy and I hope she sticks around.

That's all I got to say about that. Dug the episode immensely.

Also, will they use a Sufjan Stevens song in every episode? At this point I kind of hope they do. Get that bread, Suf! You know he watches this show, the little gay that he is!

by Anonymousreply 75June 17, 2019 5:12 AM

Great episode. And Laura Dern was the highlight for me in EVERY scene she was in.

by Anonymousreply 76June 17, 2019 5:26 AM

Laura Dern is the best actress of the cast. Tonight proved that.

by Anonymousreply 77June 17, 2019 5:31 AM

I would watch a show about Renata’s daily antics!

by Anonymousreply 78June 17, 2019 5:47 AM

R75 Great commentary! Thank you. I'm gonna look forward to your post every week now.

One disagreement: I think you're being a little hard on Zoe Kravitz. My take is she's being directed to underplay. Last season she was all subtext. Bonnie is obviously full of repression and bound to explode at any minute. I wanna see how Kravitz plays it before I lay judgment.

Up to now, I've been completely unimpressed with James Tupper. But tonight his character was finally given something interesting to do, and I think he played it well. It's the first time I've felt he earned sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 79June 17, 2019 7:11 AM

.The brother thing is interesting Could it be Corey Brockfield played by Douglas Smith?

by Anonymousreply 80June 17, 2019 8:06 AM

I keep thinking how funny it is that Iain Armitage probably has the biggest trailer of all of them.

by Anonymousreply 81June 17, 2019 10:20 AM

I see bad things ahead for little Chloe. Madeline barely reassured her when she asked if Ed was angry at her.

by Anonymousreply 82June 17, 2019 11:53 AM

You are observing the very essence of acting in this one gif. Can someone say "game changer"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 17, 2019 11:56 AM

I think Bonnie will attempt suicide by drowning, walking into the sea. Her mother had those water visions as a premonition. Her mother is an alcoholic and is drinking again. This will not end well. Renata's meltdown is everything! Mary Louise is so creepy and passive agressive. No wonder her son was so fucked up. I wanted to slap her when she was talking to Celeste, denying that her son would be abusive. Meryl Streep's portrayal of her is brilliant. I love her 'scream' from last week's episode.

by Anonymousreply 84June 17, 2019 12:41 PM

I also think Bonnie will try to commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 85June 17, 2019 12:48 PM

I bet Bonnie's mom was a HARD drunk back in the day. I love that for her. And of course she's now super preachy about others' social and emotional intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 86June 17, 2019 12:52 PM

Did any of you watch the preview for future episodes? It showed Bonnie suspended in water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87June 17, 2019 12:53 PM

We also see Celeste making out with a new guy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 17, 2019 12:53 PM

[quote]I see bad things ahead for little Chloe. Madeline barely reassured her when she asked if Ed was angry at her.

The shit is going to hit the fan more that family. Madeline and Ed will be fighting more. I can see Joseph's wife plotting some kind of revenge towards Madeline. It seemed like the wife was following Ed around in the previous episode.

by Anonymousreply 89June 17, 2019 12:54 PM

R87 I noticed that. But, I think it could be some kind of dream/imagination scene where Bonnie considers suicide, but doesn't go ahead with it or maybe she tries to commit suicide some other way.

by Anonymousreply 90June 17, 2019 12:56 PM

r88 Trashy hot guy. And look at that tongue action. Get them cookies, Nicole!

by Anonymousreply 91June 17, 2019 12:57 PM

I'm just now realizing that the mothers both display their spiritual totems. Mary Louise with her cross stroking and Elizabeth (Bonnie's mom) with her crystal, bone, and feather.

by Anonymousreply 92June 17, 2019 12:57 PM

I wonder if the show will follow the book and have it revealed that Bonnie's father was abusive and maybe that combined with alcoholic mother really fucked up Bonnie.

by Anonymousreply 93June 17, 2019 1:12 PM

Anyone else thought it was unusual when Bonnie told Shailene that aquarium guy might be faking his Aspergers and that people sometimes do that to get away with saying dumb shit? People are already calling that problematic writing, but I think it functions to show the audience that deep down she really is one of them and not as alienated and isolated in that community as her mom thinks she is. Conversely, it might mean that she's been largely assimilated into that community. Or maybe it was her mean drunk mom coming through, just before we got introduced to her.

by Anonymousreply 94June 17, 2019 1:14 PM

I'm finding this sort of boring.

The viewer knows exactly what happened.

So Meryl -- and everyone else -- not knowing isn't very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 95June 17, 2019 1:25 PM

The black women in the turban who is into -- wait for it -- voodoo!

What a cliche.

by Anonymousreply 96June 17, 2019 1:27 PM

[quote]So Meryl -- and everyone else -- not knowing isn't very interesting.

That's exactly why they aren't dragging it out and have revealed the truth about Ziggy and the rape in the second episode already. So now we're nervous because Meryl is going to go talk to the detective.

And I love that detective, by the way. She's cruising that town like a shark.

by Anonymousreply 97June 17, 2019 1:28 PM

r96 I'm a gay guy who is obsessed with this show. We're all clichés in one way or another.

And Bonnie is such an atypical black woman, I quite enjoy watching this juxtaposition.

by Anonymousreply 98June 17, 2019 1:32 PM

I think there is something shady with aquarium guy. He's going to cause additional problems for Jane.

by Anonymousreply 99June 17, 2019 1:36 PM

So many overheard conversations, Phoebe vs Ericia ,unpleasant mothers in law.,visions dreams and flashbacks. I suspect the dead husband will not be dead and his new name will be Joe Riley. I love every minute of it.

by Anonymousreply 100June 17, 2019 1:36 PM

“I also used to like to sit on your face, you think that will ever happen again?”

“Can someone give a woman a fucking moment?”

by Anonymousreply 101June 17, 2019 1:37 PM

[quote]So Meryl -- and everyone else -- not knowing isn't very interesting.

Agreed. The fact that they're all lying about a non-crime when they could have just told what really happened is also tedious.

by Anonymousreply 102June 17, 2019 1:47 PM

r102 They wanted to, though, but Madeline fucked it up because she's a compulsive liar. It would be suspicious to the cops if everyone came out with a different version. And now the chickens are coming home to roost.

by Anonymousreply 103June 17, 2019 1:52 PM

I wonder if the guy that Celeste was kissing is the brother or Perry. I thought it weak writing that the young daughter is he one who started off the reveal of Ziggy’s dad. Also Madeline’s husband just happened to overhear her conversation with the older daughter about the affair just seemed a bit too convenient as well. Love Laura Dern as well! Hope she gets another HBO series soon.

by Anonymousreply 104June 17, 2019 2:01 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but I hope Madeline gets some kind of payback. She's compulsive liar, has a big mouth and she isn't careful with what she says. In the season premiere, when she was showing that house to the couple she was blabbing away on her phone and I almost expected her to say something incriminating in front of the couple. We know that her little daughter Chloe is an eavesdropper and I'm betting Chloe knows more secrets other Ziggy's paternity.

If Bonnie does try to commit suicide, I hope the writers don't try to make that being Madeline's cue for redemption. Then again that could happen. Madeline will be crying to Bonnie and apologizing for not allowing Bonnie and others to tell what happened to Perry.

by Anonymousreply 105June 17, 2019 2:03 PM

Who was Celeste daydreaming about around the time she crashed? He looked way different than Perry. I hate whoever wrote the storyline involving the kids and Ziggy’s conception. So awkward and uncomfortable. I have never liked Meryl and yes, I’m a millennial. She’s overrated.

by Anonymousreply 106June 17, 2019 2:25 PM

[quote]She’s overrated.

Okay, but did you see this, though? Never done before! She single-handedly invented "necklace acting" in last night's episode. Just like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107June 17, 2019 2:27 PM

R107 She was obviously mocking Reese's chin.

by Anonymousreply 108June 17, 2019 2:28 PM

LOL, R101, my partner and I guffawed at those lines! Dern is killing it. Love her. So is Meryl.

Kidman's face is a huge distraction. In every scene, I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with her face rather than listening to what she's saying. Same for Woodley's hair. The bangs look awful and so severe. Kidman's bangs are similar. It makes them look harsh.

by Anonymousreply 109June 17, 2019 2:31 PM

Woodley looks ill.

by Anonymousreply 110June 17, 2019 2:37 PM

Woodley looks fat AF.

by Anonymousreply 111June 17, 2019 2:44 PM

She did look rather unfortunate in this shot, didn't she?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 17, 2019 2:57 PM

I've been rewatching season 1 and she looks great.

by Anonymousreply 113June 17, 2019 2:58 PM

Woodley and Kravitz looked gross in that yoga scene.

by Anonymousreply 114June 17, 2019 2:59 PM

Madeline's daughter with her Ally McBeal cloud PJs.

by Anonymousreply 115June 17, 2019 3:12 PM

[quote][R107] She was obviously mocking Reese's chin.

I would love some scene of Mary Louise making fun of all the women and she starts mocking Madeline's chin, Jane's hideous bangs, Renata's big dick face, Celeste's weird face, and Bonnie's smelly look.

by Anonymousreply 116June 17, 2019 3:22 PM

I'll say this: Remember the end of last season when we all had that somber, safe, joyous feeling one gets when witnessing a (somewhat) happy ending? How happy we were when all 5 women bonded?

This episode certainly shot all that to shit, didn't it??

by Anonymousreply 117June 17, 2019 5:16 PM

Celeste is impossibly nice. I felt that when I read the book and Kidman plays it quite well without getting annoying and twee and self-satisfied. She really is sensible and kind to a fault that I guess that's why her relationship with Perry lasted so long.

She lets her had MiL stay around because her sons like her. She never tells the witch to get the fuck out of her house. She doesn't get mad at Jane when Ziggy is told that Perry was a rapist. She allows the boys to interact as brothers.

by Anonymousreply 118June 17, 2019 5:54 PM

Is Woodley pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 119June 17, 2019 6:21 PM

Bonnie's patchouli and weed look is getting on my nerves. Other than that, I'm enthralled. Watching both episodes again.

by Anonymousreply 120June 17, 2019 6:22 PM

I think I would leave my whole life behind just to take a spin in a car with Renata.

by Anonymousreply 121June 17, 2019 6:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122June 17, 2019 6:33 PM

Renata driving away flipping the bird should be a staple reply across the internet.

by Anonymousreply 123June 17, 2019 6:43 PM

Do we think every lead is getting their own iconic episode this season? Meryl got her scream in the first one, Renata owned the second one, I'm hearing Shailene nails the third one...

by Anonymousreply 124June 17, 2019 6:48 PM

I don't get the love for Renata. She's one note and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 125June 17, 2019 8:14 PM

Yeah, they need to push Renata out of her comfort zone and show us some of her other facets. Which admittedly they seem to be doing now.

I want to see her and Mary Louise fight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126June 17, 2019 8:28 PM

R107 What the hell are you talking about??? Everyone in cinema history knows Timothee Chalamet invented “necklace acting” in CMBYN. Please hand in your gay card pronto!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127June 17, 2019 8:46 PM

r127 I can't believe I forgot about that. I even recall writing on DL what that gesture meant on a metaphorical level.

Well, this is quite embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 128June 17, 2019 8:53 PM

That gif of Chalamet's hot.

Anyway, Renata's not one note. She's multifaceted in the first season and this season they seem to be deconstructing the character.

by Anonymousreply 129June 17, 2019 9:06 PM

I loved that scene in the first season with Renata thawing when Shailene visits her at home.

by Anonymousreply 130June 17, 2019 9:08 PM

[quote]I don't get the love for Renata. She's one note and annoying.

You mean Meryl.

Kick her out of the fucking house. Who'd allow her to be around talking and behaving like that? Actually, kick her off the show. She's awful in this as an actress and her silly character.

by Anonymousreply 131June 17, 2019 9:13 PM

A few other observations.

It's now just a soap opera. Before, it was a notch above.

The children all talk and behave like adults.

Lenny Kravitz's daughter is beautiful.

The gurl who was raped mumbles and mutters her words. She's annoying. So is her stupid wig.

We need more location shots. That's what made the last season.

by Anonymousreply 132June 17, 2019 9:17 PM

I don't dislike Meryl on the show, but she doesn't feel like a character yet. She feels like a plot device. Everything that made the second episode strong had very little to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 133June 17, 2019 9:18 PM

[quote]Everything that made the second episode strong had very little to do with her.

No, she was the weakest link. I'm amazed at how bad she is and it's not just the writing.

by Anonymousreply 134June 17, 2019 9:20 PM

[quote]Bonnie's parents are fucking annoying.

I thought the father was the "gay friend" at first.

by Anonymousreply 135June 17, 2019 9:21 PM

She looks like a nun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136June 17, 2019 9:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137June 17, 2019 9:25 PM

They should have given Joan Collins Meryl's part. Or someone LIKE Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 138June 17, 2019 9:26 PM

R129 I was just typing that about that scene.. Laura starts as rabid Renata and with the acknowledgement of her maternal pain we watch as she transforms. I love that about this show. Not the expected histrionics but the unexpected quiet epiphanies each character comes to that allow them to be more than rich priveleged harpies. Great writing, great acting. "I'm going to get my ears checked." Doesn't even require acting. The writing is doing all the work.

Last night when Ziggy told Shailene he knows she lies to him was another. Adam Scott asking Madeline to describe "us". Devastating quiet moments that no amount of "necklace acting" can capture.

by Anonymousreply 139June 17, 2019 9:32 PM

Meryl's part is written like a nighttime soap villain.

Nobody real talks like that.

by Anonymousreply 140June 17, 2019 9:38 PM

[quote]Meryl's part is written like a nighttime soap villain.

Exactly. And why does she keep leaping out of the dark the second Celeste wakes from her nightmares?

by Anonymousreply 141June 17, 2019 9:41 PM

r138 The part wasn't theirs to give as Meryl cast herself in the role. Because she's Meryl and She's allowed to do that.

And Joan Collins? First of all, she doesn't have the range (anymore) and people would be calling the show soapy even more than they do now. For me, it's exciting to watch a serious actress tackle this campy role. We should have fun sometimes!

by Anonymousreply 142June 17, 2019 9:41 PM

I'd be curious to know how much the character is written like that and how much is Meryl being allowed to embellish by the director. Probably both but we do need to see something more. She's acting in some script that doesn't match the show and the other actors and characters.

by Anonymousreply 143June 17, 2019 9:44 PM

I've seen three episodes of the first season and I hate it. I just don't care about the characters. Does it get better?

by Anonymousreply 144June 17, 2019 9:45 PM

r144 It does get better and I still don't care about any of the characters. Not really. But just like with Succession, I've realised I can enjoy the show without liking any of them.

by Anonymousreply 145June 17, 2019 9:48 PM

Everyone's so hung up on whether characters are likable. I guess I understand the urge, but there's so much great art out there that follows unlikable characters. A character being likable has no bearing on a show's quality. Whether the characters are well realized, written, and performed is way more important in my opinion. This is, of course, all subjective.

Anyway, if you're three episodes deep into season one and aren't enjoying it I can't imagine the rest of the show clicking for you. I was hooked from the start so... as they say... can't relate.

by Anonymousreply 146June 17, 2019 9:52 PM

It took me a few episodes before I stopped worrying about who died and how which really isn't all that interesting and started growing attached to the characters. Ziggy was my way in.

by Anonymousreply 147June 17, 2019 9:54 PM

Meryl is shitting all over Celeste.

by Anonymousreply 148June 17, 2019 10:02 PM

Ziggy is a great little actor.

by Anonymousreply 149June 17, 2019 10:03 PM

I liked the actor playing Ziggy... until I googled him earlier today. I can't with theatre queens.

I love his new haircut, though. Very cute.

by Anonymousreply 150June 17, 2019 10:07 PM

The twins that play Nicole’s sons are beautiful kids. Totally adorable and I don’t even like kids.

by Anonymousreply 151June 17, 2019 10:13 PM

omg this thread is FRAUND ZERO

by Anonymousreply 152June 17, 2019 10:14 PM

Some gays do hate frauen because they want to be them.

by Anonymousreply 153June 17, 2019 10:15 PM

Gays live for beautiful broads in distress. Always have. This show appeals to that sensibility.

by Anonymousreply 154June 17, 2019 10:22 PM

Ziggy is probably going to enjoy his instant twincest access.

by Anonymousreply 155June 17, 2019 10:28 PM

Can we not?

by Anonymousreply 156June 17, 2019 10:29 PM

Nicole got a larger chin implant. That’s what is throwing her face off ( and too many filled around the eyes ) Many actresses get larger chin implants with their facelifts or instead to refine their neck and stop it from sagging but she should have stayed with the last one . It’s too large and distracting. Angelina Jolie did this too. These women are like Mr. Potato Head changing their facial parts on a monthly basis .

by Anonymousreply 157June 18, 2019 12:51 AM

I feel so bad for Ed, he knew something was up with Madeline and the theater guy last season but pushed it down. When he overheard the cunty daughter spill the beans the bottom totally fell out.

Mary Louise needs a good hard kick in the cunt.

How did Perry's father die, ML referred to an accident. I wonder if he used to beat Mary Louise? How did Perry's brother die? Hmm!?

If I was Renata I would have killed that fortune losing mother fucker.

by Anonymousreply 158June 18, 2019 1:23 AM

Watch Ed go and fuck the theater's guy's wife.

by Anonymousreply 159June 18, 2019 1:26 AM

I hope he is above that. But Renata may want to borrow his face to sit on a couple of times a week.

by Anonymousreply 160June 18, 2019 1:28 AM

Ed is bound to do something stupid in response to Madeline's affair. He might not sleep with Joseph's wife. I could see him snapping and attacking Joseph and ending up in jail. With that scenario, I could see Mary Louise finding out about Ed's attack and then she might think Ed was involved in Perry's death.

by Anonymousreply 161June 18, 2019 3:44 AM

I think Perry killed his brother and that was just the beggining of his psycho act.

by Anonymousreply 162June 18, 2019 5:53 AM

Just remember whatever happens to Ed, he will always have good hair.

by Anonymousreply 163June 18, 2019 7:19 AM

Ed's hot.

by Anonymousreply 164June 18, 2019 8:10 AM

How did the teenage daughter come to know about her mother's affair? I don't remember her knowing about it during Season One.

by Anonymousreply 165June 18, 2019 8:46 AM

Madeline confides in her daughter after she confronts her about auctioning off her virginity.

by Anonymousreply 166June 18, 2019 8:58 AM

R165, Madeline told her point blank.

by Anonymousreply 167June 18, 2019 8:58 AM

Those teef are ridiculous Mary Louise needs to die in a grease fire teeth first preferably

by Anonymousreply 168June 18, 2019 10:44 AM

Mary Louise has Anthony mason rodent teeth. I think we'll find out that perry's dad was violent too...

by Anonymousreply 169June 18, 2019 10:52 AM

Reese is the one who benefited most from this show. Her career was dead in the water when her latest films all flopped and she was aging out of romcoms.

by Anonymousreply 170June 18, 2019 10:53 AM

The guy who played Bonnie's (step?) father didn't do much but wonder if he will figure into things more because the actor is great at playing creepy

by Anonymousreply 171June 18, 2019 10:55 AM

"YOU WILL NOT BE LIKE HIM!!"

Such subtle writing.

by Anonymousreply 172June 18, 2019 12:42 PM

r172 I think the writers wanted that verbalised for Mary Louise's sake, but it still came across as awkward. On the other hand, Weigert has been doing that hypno shit on her AND she's been misusing Ambien, so perhaps we should be looking at that as a PTSD event, and not as something a normal person in everyday circumstances would say.

by Anonymousreply 173June 18, 2019 12:49 PM

The, "You will not be like him!" moment was fine. Neither subtle nor over the top, but a logical, emotional continuation of the therapy scene.

by Anonymousreply 174June 18, 2019 1:04 PM

Okay, late to catching up with the discussion. Here are my thoughts after watching S-O2, E-02.

1. WTF do the parents of middle aged children assume they can just walk into their bedrooms and lurk around while they're sleeping. Is this a California thing? It's creepy as fuck. Bonnie's mom is lucky her daughter didn't marry a Texan. Because she'd end up with a face full of lead. Celeste needs to get her MIL the fuck out of her bedroom too.

2. R104, it showed how casually Maddy lies and over-shares. She had no business telling her teenage daughter about her affair. She's a complete narcissist who is oblivious to the damage she does and the havoc she creates. She's also horrible at keeping secrets. You can't swear someone to secrecy, especially a child or a teenager, and think the info won't get out somehow....even by mistake.

3. R146, regarding unlikeable characters. I disagree. I stopped watching so many shows (and reading books as well) because there was no one to root for, no one to care about. Sopranos is a good example. Also, Succession looked so promising from the plot and early trailers. I gave it a few episodes and quit. Just disgusting people all around. No redeeming qualities at all.

4. Bonnie's mom is a bigger bitch than Mary Louise. Insults Bonnie's husband to his face, and behind his back to Bonnie. I don't get why the husband even invited her to visit. She clearly isn't a loving mother who brings peace and joy to her child.

5. R94, I loved Bonnie's Aspergers comment. It's what we're all thinking---that aspies can't be bothered to even try to be polite and consider the feelings of other people. It's a very convenient excuse to be an asshole.

6. It was very weird to hear Celeste tell her sons that Perry was a "good man". I wonder if she would say that in front of Jane.

7. I was dying for Celeste to blast Mary Louise when she kept badgering her about why she never went to the police about Perry. I wanted her to say, "STFU, you old bat. Haven't you ever heard of battered woman syndrome? THAT'S why I didn't go tot he police. Educate yourself if you don't know anything about it." She needs to stop coddling that shrew.

8. The necklace scene was a bit overplayed. Could have been more subtle. Meryl should have just tapped the cross on her neck for a second.....not that extended fiddling with it on her chin.

9. Everyone needs a hairstyle makeover: Jane (the infamous bangs--just awful), Bonnie (those dreds must reek), Celeste (no bangs, shorter, blonder), Maddy (go shorter - ha!). Mary Louise (she needs a mullet). Love Renada's hair--no change needed.

10. I figured out what's wrong with Shailene's face. She looks like she has allergies--puffy faced. Sounds like it too--all congested.

by Anonymousreply 175June 18, 2019 1:14 PM

[quote]9. Everyone needs a hairstyle makeover: Jane (the infamous bangs--just awful), Bonnie (those dreds must reek), Celeste (no bangs, shorter, blonder), Maddy (go shorter - ha!). Mary Louise (she needs a mullet). Love Renada's hair--no change needed

Are you a hairdresser/stylist?

by Anonymousreply 176June 18, 2019 1:36 PM

[quote]8. The necklace scene was a bit overplayed. Could have been more subtle. Meryl should have just tapped the cross on her neck for a second.....not that extended fiddling with it on her chin.

But that extended fiddling has never before been captured on celluloid. Isn't there something to be said about that as well? I stan pioneers and those who are pushing the art form!

by Anonymousreply 177June 18, 2019 1:39 PM

I need a short but bombastic scene in which Meryl goes to Robin Weigert and tries to get her to break patient-client confidentiality. Which reminds me of this tweet of Emily Nussbaum's I saw earlier today:

[quote]People seem to be watching Big Little Lies more like sports than scripted TV.

That's exactly what I've been noticing in myself. But I suppose that's inevitable when you cast all these behemoths; you just want every single one to square off against each other or else the opportunity seems squandered somehow.

by Anonymousreply 178June 18, 2019 1:44 PM

I suspect Mary Louise (casting her as an anti metoo is interesting) will be this year's Renada. Eventually she will switch over to the right side.

by Anonymousreply 179June 18, 2019 1:56 PM

I can't help but think of reunions.

Reese and Laura worked on Wild together. Reese and Meryl worked on Rendition together. Meryl and Nicole worked on The Hours together. Any other connections?

by Anonymousreply 180June 18, 2019 1:56 PM

R176. No, that's just my opinion on their hair, since everyone seems to be weighing in.

by Anonymousreply 181June 18, 2019 1:58 PM

Gays are experts on hair even if not hairdressers. I can spot a wig even a good one a mile away.

Woodley looked pregnant on one of the talk shows. There was a rumor she was last year but it was only for a role.

by Anonymousreply 182June 18, 2019 2:02 PM

r180 Meryl and Dern: Little Women (2019), Dern and Woodley: The Fault in Our Stars (2014).

Did Weigert and Meryl share scenes in Angels in America? One was a Mormon mother and the other a rabbi, right?

by Anonymousreply 183June 18, 2019 2:11 PM

cant watch it. such whiney bitches. laura dern? ugh

by Anonymousreply 184June 18, 2019 2:12 PM

I forgot to include the Weigert and Meryl connection in Angels in America! Meryl actually played both the Mormon mother and Rabbi in that, but Weigert played the old timey Mormon mannequin that comes to life and talks to Harper. Weigert's got a good relationship with HBO.

by Anonymousreply 185June 18, 2019 2:17 PM

In the first season and book, Shailene wasn't necessarily calling the incident w/ Perry rape but more rough consensual. Looking back, I think she went out looking for a hot breeding from a guy like Perry and I don't blame her!

by Anonymousreply 186June 18, 2019 2:18 PM

r186 The book came out pre-MeToo, right? So I can see why they'd want to tweak that.

by Anonymousreply 187June 18, 2019 2:22 PM

R187 The tv show premiered months before the metoo movement.

by Anonymousreply 188June 18, 2019 2:24 PM

the most cunty of all the cunt shows.

by Anonymousreply 189June 18, 2019 2:26 PM

r188 Oh, yeah, right. I remember them collecting the awards during it.

by Anonymousreply 190June 18, 2019 2:26 PM

They're still maintaining the nuance of the situation. In the first episode of season 2 Jane states that she was complicit, at least at the beginning, implying that it eventually turned into rape, which we saw in the first episode. She describes his demeanor changing, and then he eventually just ends up using her.

by Anonymousreply 191June 18, 2019 2:40 PM

And let's not forget that consent can always be taken away at any point during a sexual encounter, no questions asked. She did struggle and told him to stop (I think) but then just relented and went along with it because she was scared he'd do something even crazier.

by Anonymousreply 192June 18, 2019 2:45 PM

R102, now we know how Y&R viewers felt over JT

by Anonymousreply 193June 18, 2019 2:52 PM

will the hores be pissed when meryl steals their emmy?

by Anonymousreply 194June 18, 2019 2:59 PM

Only Laura and Shailene.

by Anonymousreply 195June 18, 2019 3:14 PM

I’m still find it very engrossing. The cast should easily win best game ensemble. Though I must admit - I’m would get distracted sometimes by Nicole’s face and Reese’s chin. Does it seems certain somebody will die or get murdered? I’m thinking Mary Louise.

by Anonymousreply 196June 18, 2019 3:29 PM

Omg Fuck that spellchecker. Lol

by Anonymousreply 197June 18, 2019 3:30 PM

r28 it's in Calabasas on the Malibu side of the 101 freeway. It came close to getting burned down during the fires. The fire got as close as across the road from it. I've worked there every time it's been shot. The owners built it themselves, by hand. The guy and his friends started building it in the 70's and he got married and raised his family there. He and his wife are really sweet people.

by Anonymousreply 198June 18, 2019 3:38 PM

She's sweet r38. At least she is at work.

by Anonymousreply 199June 18, 2019 3:39 PM

[quote] I mean, I can see Meryl winning simply because she's Meryl

Which is the reason she's won her recent awards. These women are proving that when you get the right part you shine.

Meryl isn't the greatest living actress, she the actress that got the right parts that made her shine. Unfortunately that has meant that others have gotten overlooked in order for Meryl to be the only actress in her age group to be considered greatest living.

by Anonymousreply 200June 18, 2019 3:50 PM

I thought the first season was okay, I wasn't one of the many who loved it, but I think I watched most episodes. But, I haven't watched this season, just not interested and the reviews haven't been great.

by Anonymousreply 201June 18, 2019 4:12 PM

Thanks for coming in to let us know, R201.

by Anonymousreply 202June 18, 2019 4:45 PM

[quote]Woodley looked pregnant on one of the talk shows.

For unsightly post-abortion weight, which never films well, I recommend long scarves.

by Anonymousreply 203June 18, 2019 4:49 PM

You're welcome R202 :)

by Anonymousreply 204June 18, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote]The second episode of “Big Little Lies” saw a slight 7% rise from the premiere (1.5 million as opposed to 1.4 million) and ended up at over 2 million viewers with the addition of a first replay and preliminary viewing on HBO GO and NOW. Episode 2 was also the series’ second most watched after only the season 1 finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 18, 2019 5:01 PM

R200 it’s been seven years since she won her last Golden Globe and Oscar. The third Emmy recently was for voiceover. Truth be told, Meryl doesn’t win a lot, she’s just nominated a lot. Plus the Globe isn’t a real serious award for acting anyway.

by Anonymousreply 206June 18, 2019 5:33 PM

Fuck you, R206!

by Anonymousreply 207June 18, 2019 6:29 PM

Not surprised Meryl’s character isn’t aware of women being victims to predatory men... for a second, I forgot she was talking about Perry and thought she was talking about Weinstein...

by Anonymousreply 208June 18, 2019 8:31 PM

Great clip of Debbie Reynolds imitating Meryl's acting style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209June 18, 2019 8:46 PM

The necklace scene seemed forced to me... I could tell Meryl was thinking : how can I make this character more interesting...

by Anonymousreply 210June 18, 2019 8:48 PM

r209 I want Meryl to do Debbie now.

by Anonymousreply 211June 18, 2019 8:49 PM

I wish the Meryl character hadn’t started out weird, right out of the box. Wish she’d started normal and unthreatening, maybe with hints, and slowly gotten weird.

by Anonymousreply 212June 18, 2019 9:08 PM

[quote]The flashbacks of Young Mary Louise start in tonight's episode.

That poster in the first thread outright LIED to us.

by Anonymousreply 213June 18, 2019 9:08 PM

R198 Thank you. I was wondering because I like how the house looks and the property around it.

by Anonymousreply 214June 18, 2019 10:26 PM

R212 I feel the same way. She's too fucking weird in the past two episodes. She's probably going to get weirder as episodes go on. There are supposed to be flashbacks with a young Mary Louise and I'm guessing she always weird or she was abused and turned into a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 215June 18, 2019 10:27 PM

R213 The actress playing young Mary Louise was listed on IMDB for episode 2 a few days ago. An agent or someone probably messed up with her listings. Her page was updated and she's listed for following episodes. Episode 4-She Knows Episode 5-Kill Me Episode 6-The Bad Mother Episode 7-I Want To Know

by Anonymousreply 216June 18, 2019 10:38 PM

r216 Thanks! Four episodes, interesting.

by Anonymousreply 217June 18, 2019 10:41 PM

R209 Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 218June 18, 2019 10:51 PM

r209 I love Meryl but I would be shitting myself laughing had I witnessed Debbie doing that in person. Genius!

by Anonymousreply 219June 18, 2019 10:56 PM

Well dig up the old girl and make it happen r211.

Meryl couldn't do Debbie as Debbie didn't have the affectations in her acting Meryl does.

by Anonymousreply 220June 18, 2019 11:20 PM

All these fairly good actors in this.... shit!

by Anonymousreply 221June 18, 2019 11:25 PM

r220 So you're saying Debbie's acting wasn't recognizable in any way?

by Anonymousreply 222June 18, 2019 11:26 PM

I am DYING over that Debbie as Meryl clip.

by Anonymousreply 223June 18, 2019 11:33 PM

How sweet that a screen icon paid homage to me in such an amusing manner. Who would an appropriate actress be to play Glenn in similar fashion? Bonnie Franklin, perhaps? Deb Messing?

by Anonymousreply 224June 19, 2019 12:00 AM

I wish Debbie and Carrie were still around.

by Anonymousreply 225June 19, 2019 1:17 AM

Only my beautiful daughter can play a young me !

by Anonymousreply 226June 19, 2019 5:42 AM

R209 Was Debbie having fun or making fun of Meryl? I wonder because Carrie Fisher and Meryl were very close friends. It started with Postcards and they were close right up to Carrie's death. Meryl spoke at the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 227June 19, 2019 6:36 AM

Debbie was a comedian exaggerating for a laugh. There is certainly a grain of truth in her impersonation but I didn't see it as snarky or disparaging. Debbie probably does that every time she sees Meryl as an inside joke.

by Anonymousreply 228June 19, 2019 6:45 AM

Laura Dern is outshining them all, I am loving Renata this season.

by Anonymousreply 229June 19, 2019 6:53 AM

So true! Glenn is considered an inside joke, as well. Differently.

by Anonymousreply 230June 19, 2019 7:26 AM

No happiness in this season

by Anonymousreply 231June 19, 2019 7:50 AM

I really don't understand why the Debbie clip is so hilarious? Debbie played Debbie in everything.

by Anonymousreply 232June 19, 2019 8:38 AM

R231 that's how I feel too.

by Anonymousreply 233June 19, 2019 10:14 AM

Reese Witherspoon makes this show.

by Anonymousreply 234June 19, 2019 10:30 AM

I wanna know who Nicole was fucking in that car. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 235June 19, 2019 10:31 AM

[quote]One disagreement: I think you're being a little hard on Zoe Kravitz. My take is she's being directed to underplay

She's not much of an actress in the first place. Like Cara Delevigne, she gets cast for her looks.

by Anonymousreply 236June 19, 2019 11:08 AM

Sorry but Debbie playing Liberace's mother was amazing, and totally unlike Debbie. And she could do great imitations.

by Anonymousreply 237June 19, 2019 6:37 PM

I'm surprised the Emmys didn't toss her a nod for that Liberace film. They've handed out nominations for less.

by Anonymousreply 238June 19, 2019 6:38 PM

She was good but if you blinked you missed her.

by Anonymousreply 239June 20, 2019 8:21 AM

Gorden will so make a plea deal with the Feds and throw Regina and her friends under bus with the stuff he finds out about their involvement in Perry's death.

At this point the real crime these gals have committed is the cover up of the circumstances of Perry's death (which are fairly harmless legal wise as non-premediated man slaughter / self defense). Madeleine really fucked these girls over.

I doubt they remain friends for long.

by Anonymousreply 240June 20, 2019 2:20 PM

It bugs me how the women minus Bonnie never call Madeline on fucking things up.

by Anonymousreply 241June 20, 2019 2:32 PM

I wouldn't put it past Renata's husband to throw the women under the bus. In season 1, he seemed irritated with Renata's feud with Madeline. He'll be pissed once he finds out why Renata suddenly became friends with Celeste, Jane, and Madeline after Perry's death.

Didn't one of the talking heads in season 1 tell the detectives about Renata fighting with Jane and Madeline?

by Anonymousreply 242June 20, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote]Didn't one of the talking heads in season 1 tell the detectives about Renata fighting with Jane and Madeline?

Yes. And more than once, I think.

by Anonymousreply 243June 20, 2019 3:38 PM

[quote]I doubt they remain friends for long.

I think the falling outs will happen mid-season. I'm betting if Bonnie does attempt suicide then that will cause the fighting.

by Anonymousreply 244June 21, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote]Does it seems certain somebody will die or get murdered? I’m thinking Mary Louise.

I think Mary Louise will kill or try to kill someone and will be carted off to jail at the end. I don't see any of the main five ladies being murdered. If someone is killed I could see it being one of the husbands or Madeline's teenage daughter.

by Anonymousreply 245June 21, 2019 12:43 AM

A murder is entirely unnecessary. Hope the show doesn't go that route. It doesn't need to [italic]completely[/italic] devolve into Desperate Housewives murder-of-the-season sensationalism.

by Anonymousreply 246June 21, 2019 12:54 PM

What makes the show are the character studies and dynamics like Celeste and Perry in season one. Renata and Gordon in the latest one is quite interesting, too. I mean, in episode one this season you got a defeated looking Gording watching his toy train go in circles while Gordon was holding a bat like his life depends on it.

by Anonymousreply 247June 21, 2019 2:10 PM

I think Perry was somehow involved with his brother's death. This article mentions that two young boys were cast as young Perry and his brother Raymond and they will appear in three episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248June 22, 2019 4:30 AM

Streep is desperately trying to repeat that moment in Sophie's Choice where her face looks like she's taking a really painful shit. She's been doing schtick for years and the cross on the chin mime was just the latest example.

by Anonymousreply 249June 22, 2019 5:20 AM

For anyone but Streep, the cross on the chin thing would never be mentioned.

It’s absolutely ridiculous that everything Streep does — every smile, every frown, every grimace, every hand movement, every accent, every cadence in speech — is analyzed to death.

by Anonymousreply 250June 23, 2019 1:59 AM

R250, she does bring the analysis on herself with her very actory choices.

by Anonymousreply 251June 23, 2019 2:04 AM

She is part of the world's cultural heritage - one of the greatest ever - so of course we're going to analyse and celebrate her to death. We should appreciate her while she's still around!

by Anonymousreply 252June 23, 2019 2:19 AM

Streep is NOT one the greatest actors ever. Sheesh, the hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 253June 23, 2019 2:24 AM

She very much is but we're not doing this again on her 70TH BIRTHDAY. We're just not.

by Anonymousreply 254June 23, 2019 2:27 AM

I enjoyed reading the book, and I think the show is pretty great. But I think Diane Lane would have been a better choice to play Celeste. Kidman is too distracting for several reasons. The scenes with Skarsgård would have worked way better with Lane, in my opinion - that no one asked for.

by Anonymousreply 255June 23, 2019 3:15 AM

Kidman was the best part of season one.

Also, Meryl's being fully absurd this season. It's like she's doing self-parody.

by Anonymousreply 256June 23, 2019 3:27 AM

Dianne Ladd or Diane Keaton would've been interesting for Mary Louise.

by Anonymousreply 257June 23, 2019 3:35 AM

I’m surprised they didn’t go with another Swede like Liv Ullman or Lena Olin for the part.

by Anonymousreply 258June 23, 2019 3:51 AM

[quote] So Meryl -- and everyone else -- not knowing isn't very interesting.

The previews shows that Mary Louise either knows now her son was killed or that she will have figured it out by the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 259June 23, 2019 3:55 AM

They made Adam Scott dug last season with the Jesus beard, this season he is hot.

by Anonymousreply 260June 23, 2019 4:46 AM

Meryl Streep is a national treasure. She could spend an entire episode stitting on the toilet having the shits, having awkward conversations with the other castmembers with the bathroom door between them and she'd get an Emmy for it.

by Anonymousreply 261June 23, 2019 7:22 AM

Dug what?

by Anonymousreply 262June 23, 2019 7:22 AM

Nicole Kidman's face is starting to disturb me.

by Anonymousreply 263June 23, 2019 7:37 AM

[quote]4. Bonnie's mom is a bigger bitch than Mary Louise. Insults Bonnie's husband to his face, and behind his back to Bonnie. I don't get why the husband even invited her to visit. She clearly isn't a loving mother who brings peace and joy to her child.

The way she did it was harsh but nothing she said was wrong. He should have been able to tell when Bonnie started having issues. He should know whether or not she eats "french fries." His emotional EQ is terrible and he called her in because he couldn't figure out what was wrong when she pin pointed it within a day or two.

[quote]She's too fucking weird in the past two episodes. She's probably going to get weirder as episodes go on. There are supposed to be flashbacks with a young Mary Louise and I'm guessing she always weird or she was abused and turned into a weirdo.

While I love Meryl it's obvious the character is going to become their enemy very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 264June 23, 2019 8:19 AM

[quote] The way she did it was harsh but nothing she said was wrong.

You can be right AND not be a bitch about it. She was angry and confrontational and her attitude didn't help to diffuse the situation or come even close to solving the problem. Her daughter shut her out as well and it pushed Bonnie into an even more isolated and self destructive state.

by Anonymousreply 265June 23, 2019 8:33 AM

[quote]Streep is NOT one the greatest actors ever. Sheesh, the hyperbole.

She's America's Vanessa Redgrave

by Anonymousreply 266June 23, 2019 8:54 AM

[quote]Dianne Ladd or Diane Keaton would've been interesting for Mary Louise.

It WOULD be interesting to see Keaton in an interesting meaty role on TV.

But does she still have what it takes? She's become so fake and mannered over the years.

by Anonymousreply 267June 23, 2019 8:56 AM

She did a season as a nun in that hot young pope series...

by Anonymousreply 268June 23, 2019 10:43 AM

I was so looking forward to the next episode when the announcement came out that Kristallnacht starts today. Just one more fucking thing Trump has ruined for me.

r260 I'm shocked by how hot he looks in some of the scenes. Not creepy at all anymore. I bet he complained after the first season.

by Anonymousreply 269June 23, 2019 10:51 AM

So I guess Ed will fuck the theater guy's wife who has the new tits.

by Anonymousreply 270June 23, 2019 12:42 PM

[quote]Her daughter shut her out as well and it pushed Bonnie into an even more isolated and self destructive state.

She did manage to drop one hint to us, the audience, that this isn't the first time Bonnie has been in trouble with her "What have you done, this time?” comment after which Bonnie almost immediately switched the convo to wanting her out.

by Anonymousreply 271June 23, 2019 12:54 PM

Am I the only one distracted by the fact that Adam Scott comes across as really gay?

by Anonymousreply 272June 23, 2019 1:01 PM

r272 Really? That's interesting. I don't get that from his character at all.

He just comes across as a bit... beta in this show to me. Pretty much all of the men do, except for Perry.

by Anonymousreply 273June 23, 2019 1:49 PM

He can hook up with the hobbit from the old coffee haunt.

by Anonymousreply 274June 23, 2019 1:49 PM

I just realised that waiter was played by Joseph Cross, and not by one of the Ashmore twins. How about that.

by Anonymousreply 275June 23, 2019 1:57 PM

streep is fucking terrible in season2 i cannot stand her

by Anonymousreply 276June 23, 2019 2:11 PM

[quote] streep is fucking terrible in season2 i cannot stand her

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277June 23, 2019 3:05 PM

[quote]So I guess Ed will fuck the theater guy's wife who has the new tits

I think that will happen. In the premiere episode, it seemed like the woman had been following Ed around and it's likely that she's psycho and wants some kind of revenge against Madeline. I wouldn't be surprised if that woman follows Madeline to one of her meetings with the other women and then she somehow overhears details about Perry's death.

by Anonymousreply 278June 23, 2019 3:56 PM

I don’t see Ed as a revenge fuck type of guy. Especially with the wife of the guy Reese fucked. Too messy. Of course I could be totally wrong . I’m interested to see what he will do now.

by Anonymousreply 279June 23, 2019 8:08 PM

Maybe Ed will meet the surfer dude in a bar at closing time.

by Anonymousreply 280June 23, 2019 11:51 PM

Join us in the third episode thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281June 24, 2019 12:14 AM

I am convinced that Zoe Kravitz and Lisa Bonet are the same person; has anyone seen the acting-challenged mother/daughter duo together in real life?

Someone has to say it: Laura Dern is, and always has been, ugly as homemade sin.

by Anonymousreply 282June 25, 2019 6:26 PM

r282 Oh, god, I thought she was Lisa Bonet for the duration of the first season, when I wasn't yet discussing the show here on DL.

You're wrong about Laura Dern; her face has so much character, she's infinitely watchable.

by Anonymousreply 283June 25, 2019 6:34 PM

Laura Dern has never been ugly. Though she was a horsey young lady. Now "handsome".

by Anonymousreply 284June 25, 2019 6:38 PM

I thought Laura Dern was well paired with Eric Stoltz in Mask.

by Anonymousreply 285June 25, 2019 11:50 PM

I feel Laura Dern deserves our admiration for the career hit she took on Ellen for the Puppy Episode.

by Anonymousreply 286June 26, 2019 12:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!