Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #358: The "Toot-Toot, We Hate Tootsie, Good-Bye" Edition

Well, some of us REALLY hate it...even if we haven't seen it.

by Anonymousreply 600June 5, 2019 3:02 PM

Tony’s are coming

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2019 8:23 AM

Nice title thread!

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2019 8:54 AM

What's not coming is West Side Story

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2019 10:24 AM

Wow the thread titles keep getting worse. You should let someone else try, OP, instead of rushing in to create the titles yourself. You have no talent for it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2019 10:48 AM

If you can find a copy of it, Jeremy Northam played a bisexual college student early in his career in a terrific British miniseries based on the Ruth Rendell book (writing under her pseudonym Barbara Vine) A FATAL INVERSION.

Actually, he plays the characters at two ages, as an adult and several years earlier as a college student. It's about a group of students living on a commune who are reunited years later when the bones of a dead body turn up on the property.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2019 11:38 AM

Tell us more, R3! It's strangely quiet on that front, isn't it? No casting, no website, no theatre announced, no social media.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2019 1:14 PM

All of those suggestions for HIGH SPIRITS are great, but how many would deign to do an Encores! production? Of late, the casting has been B- and C-list. I'm excepting Mark Evans, who's not a name, but who would be a terrific Charles.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2019 1:25 PM

Why is the thread grayed out? Last one was like that too.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2019 1:44 PM

The last one was started by Matt the Loon. I presume this one was, too, since he likes to spam the last several posts on the previous thread so that someone dare not create a new one that he didn't. People hate him, so his various IP addresses get FF'd a lot.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2019 1:58 PM

R8 I don't know about this one, but in the last one people discussed hot topics such as non-traditional casting and current SJW fate of Broadway and off-Broadway (which feels more like a lecture) which several posters don't like. They constantly bitch about it and possibly mark threads down for it. Typical far left (or right) tactic. Pretend the problem doesn't exist and try to suppress those who talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2019 2:32 PM

Perhaps it's because a lot of the "discussions" about non-traditional casting devolve into stupid racist jokes. I'm guessing it's the same one or two posters doing it, but those discussions often become toxic.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2019 2:45 PM

Yes, those "discussions" are never illuminating, with a fixation on "the blacks." No one ever says grouses about "The King and I" failing to cast all Asians in the Asian roles. It's only the "white" roles they care about.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2019 3:07 PM

So, here we go again?

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2019 3:09 PM

R12 I believe the last Lincoln Center "King & I" did cast only Asians in the appropriate roles, did they not?

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2019 3:09 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2019 3:11 PM

The b-side to "Downtown" is a High Spirits tune. I bet Martin and Gray were ecstatic.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2019 3:15 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2019 3:17 PM

Jesus -- what is with letting this damned TROLL spam out the theatre thread and then start a new one?

No wonder Muriel is having trouble with the search function.

OP please take a fucking moment to figure out WHY people are blocking you and get some therapy or something.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2019 3:30 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2019 3:34 PM

There' some major cast hate going on backstage at Circle-In-The-Square.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2019 3:42 PM

[quote]There' some major cast hate going on backstage at Circle-In-The-Square.

Interesting, but I would say whatever hate exists there should be directed towards the director.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2019 3:56 PM

Everyone that I have talked to about High Spirits says the trouble with a revival is that the musical is firmly set in the 1960s. It is not as if one can simply change the orchestrations and move it back to the 1940s. The sort of lounge-y, bongos and bassanova tone is at odds with the Coward material.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2019 3:59 PM

Especially Faster Than Sound. Some airline used it at the time in their commercial.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2019 4:18 PM

It doesn't diminish enjoying the material. It's a very good score and lots of fun. Everything doesn't need to be upgraded.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2019 4:39 PM

#358 came up on the search function, btw.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2019 4:52 PM

[quote] There' some major cast hate going on backstage at Circle-In-The-Square.

Well it can't possibly involve Mary Testa because despite years of hearing what a cunt she is someone a few threads ago told me I was wrong and that she was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2019 5:46 PM

Can't think of a single performer today who could outdo Grimes in that song.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2019 6:35 PM

The Loon ruins everything he touches. I notice that he finally admits he hates Tootsie without ever having seen it. (That’s because, in addition to being a Trumper, he’s very anti-trans, so that fuels his Tootsie hatred). What a loser.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2019 6:38 PM

[quote]The sort of lounge-y, bongos and bassanova tone is at odds with the Coward material.

I disagree. I think it was clever to give Mme. Arcati a coterie of beatnik types for her followers. So much of Coward is tied to 1930s settings, that I find it refreshing that High Spirits was made contemporary (at the time) and given a 60s vibe. I saw s production several years ago and didn’t fine the 60s tone at odds with Coward at all.

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2019 6:51 PM

Ugh enough with the discussion of another poster.

No one cares.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2019 7:33 PM

I've seen two productions of High Spirits. The cast recording is a lot of fun, but I think in performance, the score kind of just sits there, adding very little to the proceedings. It just slows everything down.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2019 7:38 PM

Why the hate backstage at Wokelahoma? We know why there is hate in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2019 8:23 PM

Chili + cornbread = an unpleasant backstage experience

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2019 8:33 PM

No, really, what's going on backstage?

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2019 8:46 PM

A first look at a song from The Flamingo Kid. OMG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2019 9:14 PM

Yes, I think that High Spirits (and its music) is set firmly in the 1960s is great fun! We've seen enough Coward in the 1920s and 30s, and 40s.

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2019 9:41 PM

I like that song from The Flamingo Kid. It’s cute, and better than most of what we hear in the current Broadway hits. I hope it’s good and does well.

I know I saw the movie, but other than Matt Dillon running around in a bathing suit, I remember nothing. Which is good. It’s not an overplayed classic for once.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2019 9:42 PM

Expect a 'indefinite delay' of West Side Story 'Ivo' production shortly

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2019 11:16 PM

Maybe after Spielberg’s remake is released?

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2019 11:18 PM

In a critical review, Frank Rich of The New York Times wrote "The only thing that Jerry's Girls has in common with a bona fide Jerry Herman musical is that it occupies the St. James, the theater where Dolly once promised she'd never go away again... Whatever the point of the all-female cast, one must still wonder why the show's particular female stars were chosen. None of them have been associated with Mr. Herman's musicals. Only one (Miss Uggams) is primarily a singer. All three have strident mannerisms that the director, Larry Alford, takes sadistic glee in calling to our attention."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2019 11:31 PM

Larry Alford got the Jerry’s Girls gig because Jerry was fucking him. It led to tension when the show was on the road, because Alford started really ragging on Carol Channing. Jerry sided with Alford, and that’s why Channing elected not to do the show in NY. (I don’t know why Andrea McArdle didn’t do it).

The show played best back when it was a cabaret show, with the likes of Alix Korey, Randy Graff, and Evelyn Baron In it.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2019 12:49 AM

How did William Ivey Long survive his #metoo moment? Because the victims were men?

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2019 12:51 AM

R42 Only one victim came forward and he was a mess.

Also in spite of the complaint, he really isn't in position to ruin any careers or do lasting harm - so if he does regularly grope hotties and make them feel uncomfortable, he isn't in position to ruin their careers if they tell him to stop.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2019 12:55 AM

William Ivey Long always has that big shit-eating grin on his face.

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2019 1:50 AM

Within his world, William Ivey Long has wielded a lot of power and control for 40+ years over young and vulnerable people.

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2019 1:50 AM

I haven't followed this closely - have there been more complaints about William Ivy Long?

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2019 2:18 AM

DVR alert:

For anyone interested, Theater Talk's Tony predictions special with Susan Haskins and Jesse Green (co-hosts), Ben Brantley, Michael Musto, Adam Feldman, and others is airing on Monday, June 3rd, at 10 p.m. on Channel 13 here in NYC. (Not sure if it'll air at the same time in other markets around the country, so check your local listings.)

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2019 2:25 AM

Saw "Tootsie" tonight. Why does Scott Ellis continue to get directing gigs? ANYBODY, including George C. Wolfe, could have done a better job with what little they were given here. His direction of some of the scenes, and many of the actors, is abysmal. Send him to LaJolla for a few years and bring Christopher Ashley back. I was appalled at how bad he made this musical.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2019 3:31 AM

[quote]Why does Scott Ellis continue to get directing gigs?

My only guess is that he must be very "nice" and drama-free in rehearsal, and maybe he has a talent for dealing well with various personality types, because he sure doesn't have any directing talent to speak of.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2019 4:36 AM

I saw a bootleg of Kiss Me Kate. I had never seen any version of it before. It was slight but still delightful, and some of the songs -- especially "So In Love With You Am I"-- are glorious. Kelly O'Hara was fantastic. I don't know why she gets so much hate on here. True, she doesn't project much of her own personality on her roles, but she acts well and sings beautifully. I think Will Chase is sex on a stick, but I think the role called for more of a ham actor. I could imagine Kevin Kline doing it in his prime, or Andy Karl doing it 10 years. There was color blind casting, and it did not bother me one bit. Two of the lead couples were interracial, and you it didn't make a bit of difference. That kind of color blind casting is fine, but it would have bothered me if a white actress' sister were played by a black women. Although color blind casting might violate the norms of the time the play is set, it should violate logic.

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2019 4:58 AM

[quote]or Andy Karl doing it 10 years.

If you mean Andy Karl doing it IN ten years, he’s 45 now, which is ten years older than Alfred Drake was when he originated the role.

by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2019 5:31 AM

Sara Ramirez is doing a Lea Delaria impression on Madame Secretary

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2019 9:29 AM

The William Ivey Long "Me Too" moment fizzled because it wasn't plausible. Even his greatest detractors could tell it was BS.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2019 10:00 AM

R60 Years should, there was a proposed production of KMK with Kline and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantontio

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2019 11:17 AM

Years ago, that is:

by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2019 11:18 AM

Actually, there was talk of a Kevin Kline/Patti LuPone version of KMK that would have been amazing, considering they WERE those characters, and had such a volatile relationship years before. Art imitating life... Sadly, it fell through.

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2019 11:47 AM

Patti could never have sung Lilli Vanessi, and I wouldn’t want to hear the songs rescored intoan alto or mezzo range.

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2019 11:55 AM

Lilli Vanessi is a mezzo-soprano role.

by Anonymousreply 58May 24, 2019 12:01 PM

"I hate HONK HONK"

by Anonymousreply 59May 24, 2019 12:10 PM

r50 it didn't bother you that a black actor (the general engaged to Lilli Vanessi) had to say he was going to be running for president after Harry Truman ? It took me out of the story completely knowing how racist that time period was. Plus he was supposed to be a villain of sorts and they made the villain a black man?! Corbin Bleu however it was fine.

by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2019 12:48 PM

The original Jerry's Girls—done in a tiny cabaret space—also included Denzel Washington's wife Pauletta Pearson. That's where I heard from the cast that he was a philanderer and misogynist.

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2019 1:13 PM

I don’t think the general is a villain per se, just an egomaniac. He’s more of a foil than a villain. It was a bit risky for them to cast the role with a POC, since the PC police only want POC in sympathetic roles. But the show is cartoony, and Corbin Bleu is a romantic lead, so I guess the PC police are giving the show a pass.

by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2019 1:15 PM

Lilli Vanessi is never sung by mezzos. It’s almost always cast with lyric sopranos, dramatic sopranos, or spintos.

by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2019 2:19 PM

"Octet" has extended again. Malloy - you either love his work or hate it, but the crowds seem to love this one.

by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2019 2:24 PM

[quote]There was color blind casting, and it did not bother me one bit. Two of the lead couples were interracial, and you it didn't make a bit of difference. That kind of color blind casting is fine, but it would have bothered me if a white actress' sister were played by a black women. Although color blind casting might violate t

Maybe you might want to try that again? But I guess we know what you meant. So, it didn't bother you that one of the two gangsters was black, or that the actor in question had no remote concept of the type of humor required for the part, so he didn't get a single laugh -- and he single-handedly ruined "Brush Up Your Shakespeare," even though the actor playing the other gangster (John Pankow) was perfect for the part and did understand the comedy? That didn't "bother" you?

[quote]It didn't bother you that a black actor (the general engaged to Lilli Vanessi) had to say he was going to be running for president after Harry Truman ? It took me out of the story completely knowing how racist that time period was.

Yeah, that too.

[quote]Actually, there was talk of a Kevin Kline/Patti LuPone version of KMK that would have been amazing, considering they WERE those characters, and had such a volatile relationship years before. Art imitating life...

I remember when there was talk of that casting. Agreed, it would have been AMAZING.

[quote]Patti could never have sung Lilli Vanessi, and I wouldn’t want to hear the songs rescored intoan alto or mezzo range.

Actually, as somebody else posted above, Lilli is more of a mezzo role, not high soprano. And Patti has sung effectively in her soprano register in several roles, most notably SWEENEY TODD.

[quote]Lilli Vanessi is never sung by mezzos. It’s almost always cast with lyric sopranos, dramatic sopranos, or spintos.

I think Patricia Morison considered herself a mezzo. Look at the keys of Lilli's songs in the original score -- not very high at all. Some of those keys may have been brought up for revivals, I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2019 2:44 PM

Kevin Kline singing an Alfred Drak role?

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2019 2:49 PM

R52-For about 10 more episodes and then it's done.

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2019 3:01 PM

The Adam Rapp play, "The Sound Inside", which got raves up in Williamstown in 2018 is coming to Studio 54 and according the Lincoln Center Theatre website, it will be offered to LCT subscribers as of June 10th. Does this mean "The Lehmann Trilogy" will play its limited engagement this Fall at the Beaumont? If so, LCT's profile will soar.

by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2019 4:51 PM

Lehmann Trilogy is going to a Shubert House.

by Anonymousreply 69May 24, 2019 5:14 PM

Who wants to listen to those idiots predict Tony's? They all just talk to each other and come up with the same stupid "people say" bullshit. Last year they all screamed there's 'NO DOUBT' Tina Fay was going to win for Best Book of a musical. And, well...The year before there was NO DOUBT "American in Paris" was going to win.

In the words of Arthur Laurents: "No one knows anything."

by Anonymousreply 70May 24, 2019 5:16 PM

In the words of Arthur Laurents, "For the millionth time, there's no fucking apostrophe in Tonys."

by Anonymousreply 71May 24, 2019 5:19 PM

There's never been much evidence that Kevin Kline could sing Fred Graham's music in "Kiss Me, Kate" or that he has that great of a singing voice. Only recorded evidence are his numbers in "On the 20th Century", mostly the duet "Mine" with him singing the lower voice part opposite gorgeous-voiced John Cullum. Kline also sings a little bit in the big "Sextette", and while his performance in the theater was hilarious, mainly for his physical comedy, his just sounds like a serviceable voice. He may not have gone higher than a D or Eb. Plus in "Pirates of Penzance", the Pirate King doesn't have that many solo vocal parts, and what there are aren't very showy or high. I think he would have acted Fred Graham well, but I don't think he would have sung it that impressively.

Just mention Mary Elizabeth Mastroantonio and you'll get that professor from upstage NY rhapsodizing about her being in high school musicals with him. She's impressive on the recording of "Oh, Brother!" but her voice had some serious vocal break problems by the times she did "Man of La Mancha". She probably would have pulled off a good Lilli Vanessi though.

by Anonymousreply 72May 24, 2019 5:27 PM

"upstate" not "upstage", that is

by Anonymousreply 73May 24, 2019 5:28 PM

Now John Cullum when he was younger -- man, what a Fred Graham he could have done!

by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2019 5:31 PM

Do you think Cullum had the humor, r74?

by Anonymousreply 75May 24, 2019 6:01 PM

"Ursula Eileen Patricia Augusta Fraser Morison (March 19, 1915[1] – May 20, 2018) was an American stage, television and film actress of the Golden Age of Hollywood and mezzo-soprano singer."

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2019 6:10 PM

Ursula Morison!

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2019 6:11 PM

Cullum was very funny in "On the 20th Century" played just-as-over-the-top Oscar Jaffe, so he'd have bee fine as Fred Graham, I think.

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2019 6:20 PM

been

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2019 6:20 PM

Interesting. I've only seen him in more serious roles.

by Anonymousreply 80May 24, 2019 6:25 PM

R78 I concur. Cullum in On the Twentieth Century gave one of the funniest performances I'd ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2019 6:33 PM

John Cullum seems like he would be a really nice guy offstage. Has anyone here interacted with him in real life?

by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2019 6:40 PM

Cullum posted lovely tribute videos to Madeline Kahn and Barbara Harris.

by Anonymousreply 83May 24, 2019 6:44 PM

R60 — No, it didn’t bother me that the “bad guy” general was played by a black man. What bothered was that the actor was obviously gay, and playing a straight playboy. I kept thinking, no way would they have elected a gay president back then. (I had the same problem with the actor who played the husband in The Light in the Piazza. He was clearly gay, so it added an unwelcome and distracting reason for the disintegration of the marriage. )

And R65, it bothered me that the black gangster didn’t have the right comedic chops for his role, but that was because of bad casting, not colorblind casting. A black actor who could play farce would have been just fine. I don’t think it matters what ethnicity or race the actor is for that role.

And before I get flamed -- which I will, anyway -- I am in no way saying that gay men can't play straight roles. Of course they can. But when the character is PLAYED as a gay man, it adds unwanted subtext. You wouldn't cast a small thin guy as a quarterback, so why cast an effeminate man as a ladies man?

by Anonymousreply 84May 24, 2019 6:54 PM

R82

I have.

Yes. He was extremely nice. Kind, generous and patient.

by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2019 7:11 PM

r84, I'm wondering when you saw Light in the Piazza. When I saw it Margaret's husband was played by Beau Gravitte.

by Anonymousreply 86May 24, 2019 7:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 24, 2019 7:22 PM

R86. I did not see him in "Light..." I could not tell you who played the husband, but Kelly O'Hara was no longer in it, if that helps. The song that the wife sings about the disintegration of the marriage -- "Dividing Day" - is one of the most beautiful I've heard in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 88May 24, 2019 7:26 PM

Colorblind casting is great when you have a great talent in a role (Audra in Carousel is a prime example). But now that NYC has imposed diversity quotas for city-funded institutions like museums and performing arts institutions, you get bad casting choices like that last Encores production with a bland nobody playing Betsy Wolfe’s husband. Was he really the best they could find?

by Anonymousreply 89May 24, 2019 7:52 PM

No matter, r86. I was reacting to your statement that the husband clearly was gay--to my mind, Gravitte doesn't read gay.

And I agree with you about Dividing Day. It's stunning.

by Anonymousreply 90May 24, 2019 8:09 PM

Does Gravitte Jr. read as gay?

by Anonymousreply 91May 24, 2019 8:15 PM

R69-Not with that set it isn't. There's no unoccupied Shubert house big enough.

by Anonymousreply 92May 24, 2019 9:04 PM

R86 According to ibdb, Beau Gravitte played the role for the show's entire run. Maybe R84 went to that special Gay Roy Johnson Night.

by Anonymousreply 93May 24, 2019 9:13 PM

Beau Gravitte always seemed straight to me.

by Anonymousreply 94May 24, 2019 9:29 PM

What is the difference between miscasting and lack of talent?

It seems to me miscasting is often used as an excuse for an actor who simply doesn't have the talent to properly play a role.

by Anonymousreply 95May 24, 2019 9:33 PM

Betsy Wolfe was kind of bland too. They should have used Kate Baldwin who has some of the star quality Nanette Fabray had.

by Anonymousreply 96May 24, 2019 10:42 PM

If they had interpolated "Run and Tell That" in "High Button Shows" he would have been fine, seeing that he originated the role of Seaweed in "Hairspray", but otherwise he was, until the dance break, kind of pallid in the role.

by Anonymousreply 97May 24, 2019 10:43 PM

"Shoes" not "Shows"

by Anonymousreply 98May 24, 2019 10:44 PM

[quote]I think Patricia Morison considered herself a mezzo.

No she didn’t. She considered herself a dramatic soprano, which is what she was. Just as soprano has different categories (lyric, dramatic, spinto, coloratura, lyric coloratura, dramatic coloratura), mezzo-soprano is its own category, with several variations (lyric mezzo, dramatic mezzo, coloratura mezzo). Mezzo soprano literally means “half soprano,” and having notes in the contralto range is key to being able to sing mezzo roles.

Patti is a mezzo (her role as the Old Woman in Candide is an example of her doing a mezzo role and doing it well), but she tends to live more comfortably in her contralto range. (And Mrs. Lovett is not a mezzo role).

When voices in musicals (or operas) are “typed,” it has less to do with the range of notes and more to do with the voice type required. Parts have been revoiced (usually in movie versions) but it’s not usually successful (an example of it being done successfully is Lalume in Kismet, a dramatic or dramatic coloratura in the play that was revoiced as a contralto for Dolores Gray in the movie).

by Anonymousreply 99May 24, 2019 11:48 PM

Hadestown is a perfect show for color blind casting. Any role could be played be a man, woman or anyone in between of any color or ethnicity. I love that about the show.

It’s a lock for Best Musical.

by Anonymousreply 100May 25, 2019 12:28 AM

A lovely Anna.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 25, 2019 1:12 AM

A 1964 BBC production of "Kiss Me, Kate" starring Patricia Morison and Howard Keel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 25, 2019 3:46 AM

[quote]The Adam Rapp play, "The Sound Inside", which got raves up in Williamstown in 2018

An Adam Rapp play got raves?

by Anonymousreply 103May 25, 2019 4:06 AM

Feinberg Forecast: First Read of the 2019 Tonys Race:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 25, 2019 4:39 AM

Interesting that the listing at r104 has Mary Testa dead last in the Featured Actress in a Musical race.

by Anonymousreply 105May 25, 2019 9:51 AM

When Carol Lawrence and Robert Goulet did "Kiss Me Kate" on ABC in 1968, Carol took the key to "I Hate Men" down and did a sort of a soda-pop rock version of the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 25, 2019 9:52 AM

It's "ken", not "kin", Carol.

by Anonymousreply 107May 25, 2019 10:08 AM

Don't forget about MY warbling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 25, 2019 1:43 PM

No one is giving Mary Testa an award for anything, especially Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 109May 25, 2019 4:04 PM

But she isn't asking for that, R109

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 25, 2019 4:08 PM

Why do I always think Mary Testa is a former opera singer?

Is there some Testa who was famous in opera?

by Anonymousreply 111May 25, 2019 9:30 PM

Perhaps not r111 but there have been the occasional Marias.

by Anonymousreply 112May 25, 2019 9:34 PM

I think I'm mixing her up with Teresa Stratas, for whatever reason

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113May 25, 2019 9:37 PM

R111: You might be thinking of Mary Costa.

A former opera soprano. She was also in the movie The Great Waltz (the remake, with Horst Buchholz).

by Anonymousreply 114May 25, 2019 9:39 PM

I can't imagine attending a Mary Testa concert. Her sound is so... relentless.

by Anonymousreply 115May 25, 2019 9:43 PM

Mary Costa was also the voice of Princess Aurora in Disney’s Sleeping Beauty.

by Anonymousreply 116May 25, 2019 10:14 PM

Her voice creeps me out in the tv commercials for Oklahoma. Yes, that's her.

by Anonymousreply 117May 25, 2019 10:14 PM

Mary Testical?

by Anonymousreply 118May 25, 2019 11:26 PM

Vinny Testaverde?

by Anonymousreply 119May 25, 2019 11:30 PM

Mary Cost Plus?

by Anonymousreply 120May 25, 2019 11:33 PM

Luisa Tetrazzini (who the chicken recipe is named after)

by Anonymousreply 121May 25, 2019 11:35 PM

Mary" I Don't Care the Cost" of Teck?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 25, 2019 11:40 PM

Luise Rainer?

by Anonymousreply 123May 26, 2019 2:20 AM

What I found interesting is that Brooks is listed as third by Feinberg behind Santino and Alex. All this time I've been thinking that category was going to be a two-man race between Santino and Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 124May 26, 2019 4:25 AM

Looks like "Camp Morning Wood" has changed theaters, plus it looks like some guys as well. It sees they've postponed performances by a week as well.

by Anonymousreply 125May 26, 2019 5:38 AM

seems, that is

by Anonymousreply 126May 26, 2019 5:38 AM

Costa was the tour and London Cunegonde.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 26, 2019 6:15 AM

She did Cunegonde for the LA Civic Light Opera around 1970 as well.

by Anonymousreply 128May 26, 2019 8:42 AM

Mary Testa singing "Out of My Dreams" in that Times clip (whose bright idea was that?) is exactly how I have always experienced her in a show - over the top, inappropriate, gross.

by Anonymousreply 129May 26, 2019 9:13 AM

Costa & Calhoun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 26, 2019 4:53 PM

I watched that clip, r129. You’re a fucking sexist troll. Inappropriate? Gross? What is your problem?

by Anonymousreply 131May 26, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote]If they had interpolated "Run and Tell That" in "High Button Shows" he would have been fine, seeing that he originated the role of Seaweed in "Hairspray", but otherwise he was, until the dance break, kind of pallid in the role.

Please explain. Corey Reynolds was the original Seaweed ... what are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 132May 26, 2019 6:38 PM

[quote]For about 10 more episodes and then it's done.

Why? Is Sara leaving the show?

by Anonymousreply 133May 26, 2019 6:38 PM

[quote]Kelly O'Hara was fantastic. I don't know why she gets so much hate on here

Well, she hates YOU because you can't spell her name.

by Anonymousreply 134May 26, 2019 6:38 PM

LOVED Megan Hilty at the Lincoln Center, finally actual showtunes. She is neat

by Anonymousreply 135May 26, 2019 8:00 PM

Her lack of Kit Andree training showed, r135.

by Anonymousreply 136May 26, 2019 9:20 PM

If you find that interpretation of “Out of My Dreams” appropriate to the song, and not at all over the top or grossly distorting, bully for you, r131. It’s there on YouTube for you to enjoy to your heart’s delight.

Just because someone doesn’t buy Mary Testa’s usual routine (and that performance is quite typical for her) doesn’t make them sexist. Astute, shrewd, and discriminating perhaps, or misguided to someone who likes it. But not sexist.

by Anonymousreply 137May 26, 2019 9:24 PM

Wow! Never saw Rory Calhoun having so much fun onscreen. He usually played the strong silent type in Westerns.

Wasn't that song Mutual Admiration Society in Merman's one flop musical Happy Hunting as a duet between her and her character's daughter? Seems odd with some of the lyrics, unless they rewrote it for Rory and Mary.

by Anonymousreply 138May 26, 2019 9:56 PM

Along with the bombastic....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 26, 2019 10:14 PM

Mary Costa is quite impressive in that duet clip. She definitely knew how to sing in musical theatre style. Not a lot of opera singers know how to do that.

by Anonymousreply 140May 26, 2019 10:17 PM

Can someone link to the Mary Testa "Out of My Dreams" clip. I cannot find it.

by Anonymousreply 141May 26, 2019 10:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 26, 2019 10:24 PM

"Happy Hunting' wasn't considered a flop. Ethel still sold tickets. She just wasn't talking to the composer, lyricist and her co-star Fernando Lamas off-stage.

by Anonymousreply 143May 26, 2019 11:05 PM

What's the story with DEH closing early in Toronto? Are ticket sales that radically bad that it couldn't even finish out its initially scheduled run?

by Anonymousreply 144May 26, 2019 11:40 PM

Just saw an interview with Brandon Uranowitz. Very cute and seems like a sweet person. Anyone know him?

by Anonymousreply 145May 27, 2019 12:40 AM

Wesley Taylor is ENGAGED!!

by Anonymousreply 146May 27, 2019 12:53 AM

Really, R146? So Isaac put a ring on it?

by Anonymousreply 147May 27, 2019 1:32 AM

Mary Testa warbling “Out of My Dreams” is in the NY Times. They did a Tonys article, and had people perform a song from their musical in a cabaret setting. Brooks A did “Barry’s Going to the Prom” etc, and for some reason Testa, rather than Rebecca Naomi Jones, does “Out of My Dreams” for the Oklahoma number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 27, 2019 2:23 AM

After Leslie Odom Jr and Cynthia Erivo physically embodying the epitome of smug, pretentious and arrogant recently, as well as Annaleigh Ashford’s well-intentioned but strident and shrill show, Megan Hilty showed them all how it’s done. What an excellent show with a fantastic song selection and sparkling vocals, endearing repartee and electric energy. The best LFLC since Patina Miller. A+.

by Anonymousreply 149May 27, 2019 2:30 AM

Leslie Scrotum Jr.?

by Anonymousreply 150May 27, 2019 2:52 AM

What songs did Megan Hilty do?

by Anonymousreply 151May 27, 2019 3:56 AM

Weren't you listening? She did showtunes.

by Anonymousreply 152May 27, 2019 3:58 AM

No shit, Sherlock at r152. WHICH show tunes?

by Anonymousreply 153May 27, 2019 4:13 AM

Has anyone seen the current tour of Miss Saigon? It is coming to my town in a week or so, and I am debating going. I saw it when it first opened in NYC, and the only thing that impressed me was helicopter! I imagine the new tour cuts back on the scenery and effects, but is what's left worth seeing? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 154May 27, 2019 4:18 AM

Christ, I am one of Mary Testa's biggest defenders here, and I have to admit that she was just awful- the definition of strident. I really am appalled. It sounds as if her voice is shot.

Brooks looked great. He seems to have lost a lot of weight.

by Anonymousreply 155May 27, 2019 11:20 AM

[quote]Has anyone seen the current tour of Miss Saigon? It is coming to my town in a week or so, and I am debating going. I saw it when it first opened in NYC, and the only thing that impressed me was helicopter! I imagine the new tour cuts back on the scenery and effects, but is what's left worth seeing? Thanks.

No, unless you like that treacly score.

by Anonymousreply 156May 27, 2019 1:55 PM

[quote]Has anyone seen the current tour of Miss Saigon? It is coming to my town in a week or so, and I am debating going. I saw it when it first opened in NYC, and the only thing that impressed me was helicopter!

I saw "Miss Saigon" at the Drury Lane in London in 1991, but from where I was sitting in the "stalls" (orchestra), I couldn't even see the helicopter because it was blocked by the balcony above me. And I only saw the giant statue of Ho Chi Minh from the waist down.

by Anonymousreply 157May 27, 2019 2:06 PM

The current production of Saigon is awful. The show was never great, but the original production was at least proficient. The new one is cheap and flat. And the lyric rewrites are actually worse than the originals.

by Anonymousreply 158May 27, 2019 2:17 PM

Dear god, what was Mary Testa thinking? I don't remember her being that awful in the show.

Agreed, Brooks has lost weight. When I saw Prom in February he looked like he needed his costumes taken in. Looks like he's lost even more since then. He's one of the good ones, it's nice to see him looking healthy and enjoying himself.

by Anonymousreply 159May 27, 2019 2:54 PM

Thanks for the thoughts re Miss Saigon. There are no videos on the tour website, which made me think it was a cheap, flat bus and truck version.

by Anonymousreply 160May 27, 2019 3:13 PM

[quote]And the lyric rewrites are actually worse than the originals.

Why do they keep tinkering with the show? It was never great, but the original Broadway production was fine. It was slightly different from the London production, but it was an improvement. However, all the changes post-1991 have been atrocious and just makes the show even worse.

The new song for Ellen "Maybe" is not only inferior melodically to "Now That I've Seen Her" but it makes no sense. Kim had just revealed that Chris was married to her and that she still loves him. Why would Ellen suddenly be sympathetic toward Kim, someone she just met and had considered to be no more than a one-night stand to Chris, and be willing to step aside? A normal reaction from a wife is "Hell no! I'm gonna do what I can to keep my husband and save this marriage!" which is basically what "Now That I've Seen Her" is about. I guess they were trying to make Ellen more sympathetic to an audience who has always despised her, but it makes no sense!

by Anonymousreply 161May 27, 2019 3:45 PM

Agree that the new lyric changes add nothing. And Ellen is always going to be a problematic character because her husband is a dick. He’s not honest to her about his past until Kim shows up, and when Kim returns, Chris treats Kim like garbage and throws her away. And Ellen is supposed to go along with all of that.

I think Chris is even more of an ass in the current staging than before. It cheapens the character of Kim a bit. Why does her heroine like this guy so much when he is an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 162May 27, 2019 4:51 PM

This isn't gossip but I was recently listening to the original Sweet Charity, inspired by Fosse-Verdon. The original orchestrations have more invention humor and delight than anything we've heard in decades. It seems orchestrators now have two jobs - making a puny pit sound bigger or executing some pastiche sound or style that the composer is imitating, with irony passing for wit or originality.

by Anonymousreply 163May 27, 2019 5:31 PM

Maybe Chris in Miss Saigon is unappealing because his model, Pinkerton (In Madama Butterfly) is, too. Never gives a thought to how Butterfly will feel when he casts her off. Three years later, when he has married an American and it's too late, he feels guilty.

Chris really follows the same arc, doesn't he?

by Anonymousreply 164May 27, 2019 5:34 PM

[quote]And I only saw the giant statue of Ho Chi Minh from the waist down.

Verificatia of commie-meat?

by Anonymousreply 165May 27, 2019 6:45 PM

Signature Theater's Sondheim newsletter has reported that he is no longer working with David Ives on the Bunuel project. My guess is he's having too much fun with projects like the West End Company and the Fiasco Merrily, but who knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 27, 2019 6:54 PM

R164 Chris' situation is different, though. I think he truly believed he loved Kim, because she was suddenly a light in his dark world. Also, their separation was beyond his control. The Fall of Saigon literally happened overnight and the embassy walls (where Chris worked) were locked. Then he was forced onto the last remaining helicopter.

Afterward, it is implied that Chris suffered from PTSD or survivor's guilt. I think they say he was depressed for a year and spoke to no one. Then came Ellen and helped him heal. During that time, he couldn't return to Vietnam because the US and Vietnam had hostile relations until 1995 (when Tam would've been around 20).

by Anonymousreply 167May 27, 2019 6:55 PM

R133-"Madam Secretary" has only been renewed for 10 more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 168May 27, 2019 7:16 PM

When Miss Saigon opened on Broadway in 1991, I think most adults watching would've been aware of the Vietnam/US situation and why Chris couldn't simply return. Modern audiences have no idea and think that Chris just didn't care to return and left her there to rot.

by Anonymousreply 169May 27, 2019 7:27 PM

"It seems orchestrators now have two jobs"

There's a third: making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

by Anonymousreply 170May 27, 2019 7:34 PM

I actually think for the final 10 episodes Bebe Neuwirth will return to Madam Secretary, perhaps as part of Elizabeth’s election campaign. So bye bye Sara.

by Anonymousreply 171May 27, 2019 7:51 PM

I prefer the London Cast recording of Sweet Charity for the music. I think it was produced by Norman Newell who was an actual producer of top 40 pop chart hits. "The Rich Man's Frug" really sounds like a pop instrumental hit on that album. OBR fans would probably miss the "room ambience".

by Anonymousreply 172May 27, 2019 8:17 PM

r132 here --- still waiting for an answer to my question (and still confused.)

by Anonymousreply 173May 27, 2019 8:33 PM

Without a few major upsets, the Tonys will be incredibly boring this year.

by Anonymousreply 174May 27, 2019 9:18 PM

Is Madam Secretary’s Star Eric gay?

by Anonymousreply 175May 27, 2019 9:23 PM

Does the lead woman of "Madam Secretary" still speak every line in a monotone?

by Anonymousreply 176May 27, 2019 9:27 PM

R175-You'd have to ask Jim Caruso.

by Anonymousreply 177May 27, 2019 9:33 PM

DL fave Scott Nevan used to refer to Erich Bergen as his "str8 husband". I doubt he'd go to the trouble of in-ing Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 178May 27, 2019 9:36 PM

Lol Erich Bergen straight OK that's a good one

by Anonymousreply 179May 27, 2019 9:49 PM

I did the 1st national tour of Jersey Boys with Erich Bergen and he had a long, long affair with a sexy girl in the show. Granted, he was very young back then, maybe even 19 or so, and people change, but still.....

by Anonymousreply 180May 27, 2019 10:03 PM

Erich Bergen is bisexual. He does men and women, with a leaning toward women.

by Anonymousreply 181May 27, 2019 10:10 PM

Is Erich Bergen the one who was fired from Jersey Boys in, I think, Las Vegas (?) because he would party all the time and skip shows?

by Anonymousreply 182May 27, 2019 10:13 PM

Then he was hired for the movie!

by Anonymousreply 183May 27, 2019 10:13 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 184May 27, 2019 10:20 PM

So after all the talk here I had to go and watch Mary Testa sing Out of My Dreams on the NY Times site.

OMG, the caterwauling!!! What were they thinking? They should have featured Damon Daunno here. He's not gaining any traction in the Tony race and I really thought he could've been the frontrunner.

by Anonymousreply 185May 27, 2019 10:37 PM

Anyone seen the terrible “tinfoil” Sweet Charity at the Donmar?

Josie Rourke has apparently turned into a gigantic diva since she started making movies.

by Anonymousreply 186May 27, 2019 11:22 PM

I can understand if the LA thread were career focused but that's not really the case. The references to Kitchard - they ship Madden with a married man in the throes of addiction (?!) who's been "papped" passed out by a Russian hooker in the recent past (?!)... Their attitude is not consistent.

It's true that nobody has been outright rude about Brandon but... well, no one was threatening to go private when Ellie was still in the picture (and she didn't seem that popular on the thread).

Oh, and the thread starter teased the private thread with promise of a blow by blow analysis of the sex scene in "Rocketman"... Yes, all very career focused.

by Anonymousreply 187May 27, 2019 11:59 PM

R187 what?

by Anonymousreply 188May 28, 2019 12:36 AM

Did you post in the wrong thread, r187? I don't understand what that has to do with theatre gossip.

by Anonymousreply 189May 28, 2019 12:37 AM

Yes, wrong thread.

How 'bout that Mary Testa?

by Anonymousreply 190May 28, 2019 12:54 AM

[quote]r162 Ellen is always going to be a problematic character

Ellens gonna Ellen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191May 28, 2019 1:05 AM

How 'bout that Jeanne Eagels?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192May 28, 2019 1:06 AM

My favourite DL reference to Mary Testa is when someone named her as #3 in a thread dedicated to "Broadway Bubble Butts".

I believe #2 position went to Nathan Lane, with Cheyenne Jackson at #1. (The latter's harness pics say otherwise.)

by Anonymousreply 193May 28, 2019 1:23 AM

[italic]r185 So after all the talk here I had to go and watch Mary Testa sing 'Out of My Dreams' on the NY Times site. OMG, the caterwauling!!!

It makes me want to see her in[/italic] LINDA! The Linda Lavin Story!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194May 28, 2019 1:48 AM

[quote]Does this mean "The Lehmann Trilogy" will play its limited engagement this Fall at the Beaumont? If so, LCT's profile will soar.

What an odd way to phrase it. I would say LCT's "profile" is already very high. And it's Lehman with one n.

[quote]John Cullum seems like he would be a really nice guy offstage. Has anyone here interacted with him in real life?

Yes, he is a prince of a guy. Very nice and down to earth, not an ounce of pretension.

[quote]No, it didn’t bother me that the “bad guy” general was played by a black man. What bothered was that the actor was obviously gay, and playing a straight playboy. I kept thinking, no way would they have elected a gay president back then. (I had the same problem with the actor who played the husband in The Light in the Piazza. He was clearly gay, so it added an unwelcome and distracting reason for the disintegration of the marriage. )

First of all, that actor didn't come across as gay to me at all, but anyway -- when you say "no way they would have elected a gay President back then," are you saying they WOULD have elected a black President? If that's not what you're saying, then what are you talking about?

[quote]No she didn’t. She considered herself a dramatic soprano,

First of all, as I'm sure you know, classifications like "mezzo soprano" and "dramatic soprano" are used for opera but rarely for musical theater. But anyway, I'm sticking with my statement that Patricia Morison would have been classified as a mezzo, and for what it's worth, that's how she's listed in the Wikipedia entry that someone quoted above. And also, my main point is that most of the role of Kate in KISS ME, KATE is not written very high at all, at least not in the original score. Some sections of it may have been taken up for people who subsequently played the role, including Kelli O'Hara.

R163, I think MISS SAIGON is an abomination, but I do agree that Chris is a far more sympathetic character than Pinkerton in MADAMA BUTTERFLY.

by Anonymousreply 195May 28, 2019 3:31 AM

Less than 24 hours before the series finale of Fosse/Verdon. I’m fairly giddy with anticipation.

by Anonymousreply 196May 28, 2019 3:45 AM

Giddy that it will finally be over?

by Anonymousreply 197May 28, 2019 3:46 AM

I was just checking out the credits for Spielberg's West Side Story on IMDB. At this early date they're not complete but I recognized many of the Sharks and Jets as former Newsies on Broadway and tour. I guess that's not surprising.

Also noticed the credit Special Thanks: Lin Manuel Miranda. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 198May 28, 2019 4:09 AM

Did they add back his Spanish translation lyrics to the Sharks' songs?

by Anonymousreply 199May 28, 2019 4:11 AM

If so, r199, why couldn't LMM's credit read as such?

by Anonymousreply 200May 28, 2019 4:17 AM

Who is this Lynne Trans-smell Esmeralda anyway?

by Anonymousreply 201May 28, 2019 5:49 AM

Until I read the Chita interview in today’s NY Times, i hadn’t realized that the Jerome Robbins West Side Story choreography is being replaced by Justin Peck in the upcoming movie. I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 202May 28, 2019 9:56 AM

R202, because nobody in the all important 18-25 age range will go see the movie with the Robbins choreography.

by Anonymousreply 203May 28, 2019 11:15 AM

is the fosse/verdon mess on tv sposed to be a black comedy????

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 204May 28, 2019 11:26 AM

Or maybe nobody's capable of replicating the Robbins choreography, r203

Re LMM's "special thanks," maybe it's for the Spanish translation, but more likely it's because he's insinuated himself into the production as an expert on the WSS score.

by Anonymousreply 205May 28, 2019 11:29 AM

[quote]Or maybe nobody's capable of replicating the Robbins choreography,

The Robbins choreography is probably the best preserved choreography of any Broadway musical. Not only is it recreated numerous times each year for productions around the world, it is part of the repertoire of numerous ballet companies.

by Anonymousreply 206May 28, 2019 11:34 AM

I understand this. I meant the dancers.

by Anonymousreply 207May 28, 2019 11:43 AM

There are more and better trained dancers doing musicals today than were available in the 50s and 60s.

by Anonymousreply 208May 28, 2019 11:51 AM

yay tammy grimes !!!!

kiss me kate::::: ugh

by Anonymousreply 209May 28, 2019 11:52 AM

I know nothing about Peck’s talents. Does he seem like a good fit for this project?

by Anonymousreply 210May 28, 2019 11:53 AM

r195 how about one topic at a time since you're such an encyclopedia

by Anonymousreply 211May 28, 2019 12:56 PM

Peck had to submit a very detailed DVD of his choreography to the Robbins estate. He wouldn’t have gotten the green light without their blessing.

by Anonymousreply 212May 28, 2019 1:56 PM

R212, he is also with ABT; so, he would have been very familiar with the original choreography.

by Anonymousreply 213May 28, 2019 1:58 PM

I'm pretty certain that the WSS PR is saying that some of the Robbins choreography will be retained. And I'll bet that in the end, it'll be more Robbins than Peck.

by Anonymousreply 214May 28, 2019 2:00 PM

R214, yes, it will probably be "choreography by Peck based on the original choreography be Robbins."

by Anonymousreply 215May 28, 2019 2:06 PM

I gotta agree about the Jerome Robbins WSS choreography on film, especially "The Prologue." They need to butch up the dances for the Jets and Sharks somehow. They look ridiculous pirouetting and prancing around NYC. These are supposed to be dangerous gangs? I haven't seen WSS on stage, but I can see how the original choreography may work on stage where t's easier to suspend disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 216May 28, 2019 4:26 PM

Be careful what you wish for

by Anonymousreply 217May 28, 2019 5:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218May 28, 2019 5:30 PM

R217 LOL!

That reminds me of when I had to give an oral presentation in middle school. It had to be on a foreign country and I was assigned Mexico. We also had to include some kind of visual aid. I waited till the last minute to do the report and couldn't come up with a visual aid, so I bought some tortilla chips and made some guacamole and brought that in to share. It got me the best grade in the class and the approval of my classmates!

by Anonymousreply 219May 28, 2019 6:14 PM

Justin Peck picked a prick of pickled peckers.

by Anonymousreply 220May 28, 2019 6:32 PM

Does Justin prefer throbbing man meat? Or is he a ladies’ man?

by Anonymousreply 221May 28, 2019 6:34 PM

r219 and a Tony Award?

by Anonymousreply 222May 28, 2019 7:38 PM

Did you steal the idea from Maria Gonzales, r219?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223May 28, 2019 7:47 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224May 28, 2019 8:31 PM

Honestly, if you think the Jets/Sharks Robbins choreography is too balletic you may as well just give up on the idea of West Side Story.

by Anonymousreply 225May 28, 2019 9:15 PM

R2 Thank you!

R4 First of all, fuck you. Second of all, the prior post was at the VERY end and since the search tool sucks, I jumped in to create a new thread so we can have a link at the end of the previous thread so people can find the new one. If you don't like the thread title...so? I don't care. You're obviously a stupid cunt.

R8 It's not grayed out for me.

R9 I'm not Matt the Loon. The only people more annoying than Mr. Matt the Loon are the fucking loons who constantly suspect anyone they don't like of being that person. It's tiresome.

R25 It didn't for me. And, since the previous thread was still active (although almost done) they would have had to have created their thread about the same time I created mine.

I didn't "spam" out any thread. I started a new thread...well, see above. Too boring to restate.

I haven't seen Tootsie, though I'm not a fan of musicals based on popular movies. The header refers to the people who really hate it and won't shut up about it. The goal with headers is to either comment on something topical, either in the news or discussions going on in the previous thread. Since the previous thread was tediously dull, I came up with what I could on the spur of the moment.

Not sure why people are fixated on the thread titles. Lack of better things to do? I also suspect they are themselves incapable of coming with anything creative or original on their own. Guessing your cat is named "Kitty".

Judging by the tedious nature of this thread (Mary Testa vs Mary Costa...how refreshing!) don't expect a brilliant header for 359.

by Anonymousreply 226May 28, 2019 11:06 PM

I hate when we just insult each other on here.

r226 get a life, loser.

by Anonymousreply 227May 28, 2019 11:11 PM

R225 the original "Prologue" choreography does't work in a real-life setting! It's laughable.

by Anonymousreply 228May 28, 2019 11:12 PM

Better late than never... Our Miss Brooks got his Sardi's portrait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 28, 2019 11:48 PM

Why are the Sardi’s portraits always so ugly? They look like they were done by those sketch artists that draw tourist portraits in Times Square.

by Anonymousreply 230May 28, 2019 11:54 PM

At least Brooks' somewhat resembles him. It's not bad. I always wondered if actors get to preview the portraits before the "reveal." I'm guessing not, because some have been so awful there's no way an actor with any amount of ego or self-respect would sign off on them.

by Anonymousreply 231May 29, 2019 12:00 AM

Peck is the new thing. Straight choreographer that is ultimately known just for being such.

by Anonymousreply 232May 29, 2019 12:08 AM

R230 because people today think caricatures are insensitive and just exaggerate someone's flaws.

by Anonymousreply 233May 29, 2019 12:25 AM

[quote]don't expect a brilliant header for 359.

Oh we won’t. Just promise us you’ll let someone else try.

The glory days, long gone, of the theatre threads were when they had clever titles and an “opener” with questions that got things off to a good start. But it wasn’t just the titles. The threads themselves were full of truly hot gossip, chorus boy flip-flop sightings, tales of Broadway pickpockets, rehearsal room explosions.

Now we get OPs who can’t do better than “you’re obviously a stupid cunt,” and can dish it out but can’t take it at all.

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 234May 29, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]Not sure why people are fixated on the thread titles.

Me neither. Nor do I understand why some people here insult others (like me) who sometimes comment on more than one subject per post, like the pea-brained R211. I mean, seriously?

If you want hot gossip, someone should find out what the hell happened over at this new Off-Broadway musical called (I did you not) CAMP MORNING WOOD, which changed theaters and at least some cast members over the past couple of weeks, before it even opened. I wonder if the copious on-stage nudity they're promising had something to do with either or both changes. At least it will no longer be playing in that disaster area now known as "The Theater Center" at 50th and Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 235May 29, 2019 4:02 AM

The new African-American guy on the twitter is really cute! I like one of the very hairy guys too. Hope he was spared the axe.

by Anonymousreply 236May 29, 2019 4:25 AM

[quote]Nor do I understand why some people here insult others (like me)

Well, you're an insult queen, so why don't you tell us, why do YOU lob around words like "stupid cunt" at will? You set the tone, and others respond to you in kind. Maybe if you had a more civil tone, others wouldn't give it back to you. Or do you even have a civil tone?

by Anonymousreply 237May 29, 2019 10:13 AM

The Fosse/Verdon finale needed to be retitled Nicole!

by Anonymousreply 238May 29, 2019 10:50 AM

[quote]Why are the Sardi’s portraits always so ugly?

The more important question is why doesn't Brooks Ashmanskas have any lips?

by Anonymousreply 239May 29, 2019 11:48 AM

[quote](I did you not)

You certainly didn't.

by Anonymousreply 240May 29, 2019 11:50 AM

it's pretty sad to see the old-time caricatures and compare them to the recent ones. The oId ones had wit and some style (ahhh, sort of like the old shows). I agree with r230 that the new ones look like they're from the artists who couldn't quite cut it in front of Applebee's.

by Anonymousreply 241May 29, 2019 1:08 PM

We had caricatures then!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242May 29, 2019 1:13 PM

Brooks may or may not have lips but he was certainly given a beautiful jaw line that he no longer quite possesses in his caricature.

Those caricatures look like they're done on cheap paper pads with felt markers, like Sardi's knows these "stars" won't necessarily be around next season. Do they just push pin them up for a few weeks at the coat check?

by Anonymousreply 243May 29, 2019 1:18 PM

Just read that they're not streaming the Drama Desks this year, darn it. I was looking forward to seeing Michael Urie host again. Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 244May 29, 2019 2:00 PM

Ok. I saw OKLAHOMA! last night. My first time seeing Oklahoma EVER. Never seen the movie (watched this AM), didn't know anything about it. First, I really hate this kind of trendy staging where the show is like a staged concert. I don't know anything about the actress, but Laurie was a miserable character. She walked around with a stank face and like she was on methadone. Stomping around ocassionally like a psycho. I could care less what happened to her. Curly's voice seemed affected at times but nice voice overall. Kinda cute in profile. His performance got a little too abstract sometimes for me though. Haha. I found Judd's gay voice/lisp very distracting in Act 1. He was better about it in Act 2. A girl next to me at intermission said, "He's obviously scholastically trained. And he's amazing." Hahahaha! I am so sick of all the fake woke stuff (I'm a Millennial). Of course Judd is just a "misunderstood" creepy weirdo now. They teased a kiss between two females and between Curly and Judd for no reason whatsoever. Just to implicate something that does not exist in the material. Just to be edgy for the sake of it. And of course the person dancing the dream sequence is a black girl with a shaved head. Give me a fucking break. And of course she had to twerk. WHY. Ali Stoker had good energy and gave a funny performance but nothing worth a Tony. The wheelchair doesn't work for me. Sorry. This show was like amateur performance art project. I don't mind the whole dark side of Oklahoma perspective but please cut out the senseless grabs at "wokeness" and give a stage with proper sets. I don't wanna be immersed in your production. There is a time and a place. There were a lot of empty seats and a lot of people left at intermission. I didn't get the chili because they stopped and left me and a whole line of people standing on the stage. Didn't say anything either. Just packed up and left us there on the stage. haha. RUDE. Jake Shears from Scissor Sisters was in the audience. That said, I didn't hate it completely. I was more miserable at Beetlejuice and Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 245May 29, 2019 2:18 PM

[quote] Just to implicate something that does not exist in the material.

That word does not mean what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 246May 29, 2019 2:50 PM

[quote]That said, I didn't hate it completely.

A ringing endorsement.

by Anonymousreply 247May 29, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote]Of course Judd is just a "misunderstood" creepy weirdo now.

Why do liberals like to glamorize/romanticize criminals, psychos, and evil-doers in general? It's always "they're misunderstood" angle. It's like the left suffers from hybristophilia.

by Anonymousreply 248May 29, 2019 3:24 PM

Why, suddenly, is Keri Russell giving a terrific, modulated performance in Burn This, and Driver is all over the stage, eating every piece of scenery in sight, and out of control. Sure, Mayer is a shit director, but reign your boy in. Happily, the play survives.

by Anonymousreply 249May 29, 2019 3:25 PM

This is truly a year when NO award should be made for Best Musical Revival.

by Anonymousreply 250May 29, 2019 3:26 PM

This is truly a year when NO award should be made for Best Musical Revival.

by Anonymousreply 251May 29, 2019 3:27 PM

What did you say, r250?

by Anonymousreply 252May 29, 2019 3:36 PM

What's the word on Strange Loop? Talked with a friend who saw it over the weekend who flipped out. Anyone else feel the same?

by Anonymousreply 253May 29, 2019 3:37 PM

What the fuck is the deal with Jujamcyn putting Hadestown tickets up at the TKTS booth and then charging $182.50 for them? They claim its a 30% discount, but WIF? Are people falling for this shit? Based on the weekly b.o. take, I guess they are.

by Anonymousreply 254May 29, 2019 4:23 PM

R246 haha. Really? Oh well. Works for me. Anyway, you know what I mean. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be more careful using it in the future. :)

by Anonymousreply 255May 29, 2019 4:32 PM

[quote] What's the word on Strange Loop? Talked with a friend who saw it over the weekend who flipped out. Anyone else feel the same?

The people I know who are raving about it on social media are the same people who raved about Be More Chill, so make what you may out of that.

by Anonymousreply 256May 29, 2019 4:50 PM

R250 I agree. R248 Yea, I don't get it either.

by Anonymousreply 257May 29, 2019 4:53 PM

[quote]Sure, Mayer is a shit director, but reign your boy in.

Oh Dear! why does Adam deserve a coronation?

by Anonymousreply 258May 29, 2019 5:42 PM

rein.

by Anonymousreply 259May 29, 2019 5:45 PM

Michael Mayer is the worst and yet busiest director working these days. His recent shows and operas don't get good reviews. Why is he hired?

by Anonymousreply 260May 29, 2019 8:46 PM

He’s hired because of the rimjobs from NYT reviews of Spring Awakening, which “changed theatre forever”

Camryn Mannheim was close friends with him, which I think sums itself up

by Anonymousreply 261May 29, 2019 9:06 PM

What's wrong with Camryn Menheim?

by Anonymousreply 262May 29, 2019 9:23 PM

Nobody can find this thread. I had to Google.

by Anonymousreply 263May 29, 2019 9:51 PM

R1 That's not Michael!

by Anonymousreply 264May 29, 2019 9:56 PM

ignore that above -- posted here for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 265May 29, 2019 9:57 PM

Brooks' lips and jawline died so that his VPL could live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266May 29, 2019 10:13 PM

Can you refuse a Sardi's portrait? I would decline until a new artist came along.

by Anonymousreply 267May 30, 2019 10:12 AM

R248, it is hard to write a song for a character you cannot to some degree empathize with. That is why musical theater has so few irredeemable villains. All of them have to have something to sing about.

It is not that Hammerstein was a liberal. It is that Hammerstein was a librettist.

by Anonymousreply 268May 30, 2019 12:36 PM

Who was it who said Brooks is thin now?

by Anonymousreply 269May 30, 2019 12:37 PM

"it is hard to write a song for a character you cannot to some degree empathize with."

It's not so much one wants to empathize with a villain, but rather that one is made to UNDERSTAND him. We understand that an outrageous injustice is responsible for Sweeney Todd's murderous rage, while refusing to condone it. I recently read HITLER'S VIENNA, and by charting the circumstances of Der Fuhrer's youth and early manhood in detail (his draconian upbringing, his extreme poverty, etc, etc), the author pulls off the amazing hat trick of giving us insight and understanding into history's most notorious and genocidal madman.

by Anonymousreply 270May 30, 2019 12:48 PM

No one said Brooks is thin. He's lost weight but he's galaxies away from thin.

by Anonymousreply 271May 30, 2019 1:02 PM

Brooks is certainly THIN-NER

by Anonymousreply 272May 30, 2019 3:05 PM

R266 Am I seeing the head of Brook’s dick in that photo? Looks large.

Anyone had him?

by Anonymousreply 273May 30, 2019 3:23 PM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

by Anonymousreply 274May 30, 2019 3:46 PM

Brooks' next project should be a musical version of this Stephen King book/movie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275May 30, 2019 3:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276May 30, 2019 3:54 PM

^^Either my hearing is shot or the audio on this video is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 277May 30, 2019 5:48 PM

Supposedly the delay with West Side Story is this- they thought they were getting the Winter Garden... All signs pointed to Beetlegeuse dying a quick death, but that didn't happen- thus silence on the show

by Anonymousreply 278May 30, 2019 6:19 PM

[quote]All signs pointed to Beetlegeuse dying a quick death

Oh Dear!

no way dearie, I'm the 9th biggest STAH in the whole fucking universe! been around for eons and I ain't going nowhere

by Anonymousreply 279May 30, 2019 6:26 PM

Is the Winter Garden the only theatre big enough to fit an aquarium for the Sharks?

by Anonymousreply 280May 30, 2019 8:56 PM

It's BIG, r280......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281May 30, 2019 8:59 PM

Jesse Williams will be showing his bat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282May 30, 2019 9:24 PM

R273, yes that's definitely his dick.

If you'd asked "who's had Brooks?" ten years ago, half of DL would've replied with "who hasn't?" There haven't been stories about his exploits in a long time, but I'm sure someone knows something.

by Anonymousreply 283May 30, 2019 9:25 PM

[Quote] If you'd asked "who's had Brooks?" ten years ago, half of DL would've replied with "who hasn't?" There haven't been stories about his exploits in a long time, but I'm sure someone knows something.

That makes sense. I figured some of you had tricked with him back when party lines were a thing.

by Anonymousreply 284May 30, 2019 9:43 PM

When will UPSIDE OF AVERAGE: THE BONNIE FRANKLIN STORY make it's way to the stage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285May 30, 2019 9:54 PM

IIRC, he was known more for getting around in summer stock and liking them young, R284. Someone here once referred to him having a "talented mouth."

I think the stories about him started to fizzle out around the time he met his partner, who I believe he's still with. We used to have a couple of mutual acquaintances but I'm out of the loop these days so I don't have anything new or certain to offer.

by Anonymousreply 286May 30, 2019 9:58 PM

R286, what can you tell us about his partner. Obviously, not name, address, and phone number, but in or out of the business?, Same age?, etc.

by Anonymousreply 287May 30, 2019 10:16 PM

Not in the business and a few years younger. I don't think his name is a secret--it's Shawn. Brooks has mentioned him in interviews a couple of times over the years.

by Anonymousreply 288May 30, 2019 10:31 PM

And just to reiterate... I've been out of the loop for a couple of years so I don't know if they're still together. If they are, I imagine he'll be Brooks' Tony date again, so you might get a glimpse of them together on the broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 289May 30, 2019 10:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290May 31, 2019 12:07 AM

Elaine Stritch looks really good, physically, in those clips.

(The camera's quite far away, though)

by Anonymousreply 291May 31, 2019 12:18 AM

Cleveland?

by Anonymousreply 292May 31, 2019 1:54 AM

Did I miss this? Laura Benanti recording a MY FAIR LADY mini-album with four songs. I assume it’s to the existing orchestral tracks from the OCR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293May 31, 2019 2:34 AM

The bitch is relentless.

I look forward to Loni Ackerman releasing a mini album of tracks from Evita.

by Anonymousreply 294May 31, 2019 2:45 AM

Sorry, forgot to provide the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295May 31, 2019 2:46 AM

[quote]The bitch is relentless.

Please. Lauren Ambrose was a controversial Liza, with most people feeling like she didn’t quite pull off the singing. Benanti got raves and is a seasoned musical theatre pro (which Ambrose wasn’t). Why shouldn’t they release an EP with her tracks?

Ackerman played Evita when there were already two cast albums (London and Broadway) available, and both Elaine Paige and Patti got raves for their singing. No one would have felt the need for another Evita album starring Loni Ackerman.

by Anonymousreply 296May 31, 2019 3:06 AM

Did those Vicki Clark FOLLIES tracks ever get released?

by Anonymousreply 297May 31, 2019 3:10 AM

Ambrose's singing sounds fine on the recording. Both of them were directed to be relative wimps when singing "Show Me" though -- Julie Andrews sounds ferocious in comparison. The first two ladies also sounded like they were protecting their voices from singing out too much.

by Anonymousreply 298May 31, 2019 3:12 AM

Jessie Williams to be Darren in "Take Me Out" on Broadway. Guess he'll be taking his out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299May 31, 2019 3:14 AM

[quote]Elaine Stritch looks really good, physically, in those clips.

Whereas Kim Stanley looks terribly homely as Cherie, which wouldn't matter if the character wasn't supposed to be gorgeous. I hate to sound superficial, but even if you think she's a brilliant actress, she's quite repulsive physically in that filmed segment. For that matter, Albert Salmi isn't exactly hot as Beau, either. Sorry, but I think for BUS STOP to work, both of those actors have to be beautiful. I'm surprised Inge allowed the original casting.

by Anonymousreply 300May 31, 2019 3:17 AM

Has the Lee Pace Interview Magazine piece been discussed? Was Gough just pissed that she had a new Joe Pitt? Or was her relationship with Tovey little better?

by Anonymousreply 301May 31, 2019 3:18 AM

But it did work, Blanche, it did!

by Anonymousreply 302May 31, 2019 3:18 AM

[quote]r300 Kim Stanley looks terribly homely as Cherie, which wouldn't matter if the character wasn't supposed to be gorgeous.

I haven't read the play - is she specifically described that way? Or is that just what we expect because MM played her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303May 31, 2019 3:29 AM

`R301, Gough is said to be a total bitch, which is why Tovey did not want to do the show in NY.

Her performance was great, but neither Joe found it enjoyable to work opposite her.

by Anonymousreply 304May 31, 2019 3:35 AM

MM was wonderful as Cherie. Funny and touching. Her finest acting role.

by Anonymousreply 305May 31, 2019 3:47 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306May 31, 2019 4:08 AM

When you have an original production of an Inge play that was directed by Harold Clurman, one should assume that the original casting is correct. Cherie is a Hillbilly who has never played anything better than a dive bar. Her silly hat and jacket are perfect for the character. Bo is not supposed to be Hollywood gorgeous. If he was, Cherie's reluctance would make less sense. He needs to be passably good looking. In a town of 400, he might be the best looking guy there,. In NYC, he'd be a 5 at best.

by Anonymousreply 307May 31, 2019 9:50 AM

Kim Stanley’s looks, while not homely, weren’t much more than plain. This was never more evident than in “The Goddess,” where she was playing a Monroesque character, and was simply wrong for it. By the time she had her brief resurgence in the 1980s, she had moved solidly into character actress category, and it suited her well.

by Anonymousreply 308May 31, 2019 10:33 AM

I didn’t realize Kim Stanley had three children, one of them by Brooks Clift, Montgomery Clift’s Brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309May 31, 2019 10:42 AM

Louis Peitzman is going to claw his way into that theatre to see Williams' bat every night...

by Anonymousreply 310May 31, 2019 10:44 AM

Are we really reduced to discussing Louis Peitzman, a literal nobody (who is insufferable and not nearly as funny as he thinks he is)?

by Anonymousreply 311May 31, 2019 12:45 PM

Is no one going to post a parody song:

THE STORY OF JUSSIE AND JESSE

by Anonymousreply 312May 31, 2019 1:01 PM

No, r312. That story has been played out for weeks. We’ve all moved on to more au courant themes. Can you give us something about Aaron Schock’s hole?

by Anonymousreply 313May 31, 2019 2:11 PM

I'd rather have seen "homely" Kim Stanley in BUS STOP than almost any other actress of the time in the role.

by Anonymousreply 314May 31, 2019 2:31 PM

r300 = John Simon

by Anonymousreply 315May 31, 2019 2:55 PM

Oh, come on, guys. I'm not being "looksist." I think it's really important for Cherie in BUS STOP to be beautiful -- or, at least, not homely -- for it to make sense that Beau is so aggressively pursuing her. I guess it's not quite as important for Beau to be hot, but it helps if he is, because I think it's important for the audience to sense that there's a strong physical attraction between the two of them, even when she's trying to get away from him because he's acting like he can just take whatever he wants. Monroe and Murray were really pretty perfect in the movie, one of the few times a Josh Logan film was cast properly.

by Anonymousreply 316May 31, 2019 3:43 PM

R316, It isn't important what you think. The author and the original director thought Kim Stanley was right; so, she is right.

by Anonymousreply 317May 31, 2019 3:50 PM

R316

And yet Kim Stanley was almost universally acclaimed in the role, while the beautiful Marilyn Monroe as unfavorably compared to Stanley when the film came out.

by Anonymousreply 318May 31, 2019 4:02 PM

"Homely on screen" isn't necessarily "homely on stage".

by Anonymousreply 319May 31, 2019 4:03 PM

"Homely on screen" isn't necessarily "homely on stage".

by Anonymousreply 320May 31, 2019 4:09 PM

[Quote] —Julie Harris

I was actually thinking of Julie Harris in the film of "I Am A Camera" when I typed r319.

by Anonymousreply 321May 31, 2019 4:15 PM

I think the costuming in the stage Bus Stop (at least in those segments above) deliberately made Stanley look tawdry.

I saw her live on stage (once) and she looked fine. If Stanley's Cherie had been dressed as Monroe was, she'd look a lot better to you.

Further, I don't know how much input Josh Logan accepted from Inge when he cast the stage Bus Stop. Salmi definitely wasn't what Inge liked in men; he was wild for the very young Warren Beatty, for instance. And the poster above who pointed out why we need two attractive young people in those roles is in effect suggesting that Logan had a screwy idea about who should play Bo. Inge wouldn't do a musical without a hunky chorus, but his leading men are rather an odd collection. Ralph Meeker (in Picnic) was certainly attractive. But others were much less so.

Maybe Logan caught some menace in Salmi that he liked for Bo. Salmi did end up killing his wife (and himself).

by Anonymousreply 322May 31, 2019 4:22 PM

[quote]Inge wouldn't do a musical without a hunky chorus, but his leading men are rather an odd collection.

Do you mean Logan wouldn’t do a musical without a hunky chorus? Other than “Hot September” and the Little Sheba musical, I don’t think Inge’s name has ever been attached to a musical.

by Anonymousreply 323May 31, 2019 9:09 PM

Albert Salmi had a good, corn-fed kind of look. He was fine for Bo. He was offered the film, too, but turned it down because he was an Actors’ Studio snob who looked down on film and tv.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324May 31, 2019 9:16 PM

I agree that he looked fed, but otherwise...

by Anonymousreply 325May 31, 2019 9:21 PM

Salmi? Stupid name. Too close to Salami.

by Anonymousreply 326May 31, 2019 9:23 PM

R324, for someone who looked down on TV and film, Salmi did an awful lot of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327May 31, 2019 9:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328May 31, 2019 9:26 PM

Is he going to be more open, though? I doubt it. Julian Morris has been with his guy for at least a decade. Have they ever been pictured together at Pride? Madden studiously avoids being drawn into "issues". It would blow my mind if it hapoened but I don't expect to see them at Pride.

by Anonymousreply 329May 31, 2019 9:32 PM

By when do Tony voters have to turn in their ballots?

by Anonymousreply 330May 31, 2019 10:28 PM

Gwendoline Christie spanked Tom Hiddleston. She's OK in my book.

by Anonymousreply 331May 31, 2019 10:30 PM

Did anybody see Mary Louise Parker and Billy Crudup in the Bust Stop revival of the 1990s at Circle in the Square? I believe that's where they met.

I never thought of Bo as being dangerous, just somewhat oversexed.

by Anonymousreply 332May 31, 2019 11:51 PM

[quote]r322 Maybe Logan caught some menace in Salmi that he liked for Bo. Salmi did end up killing his wife (and himself).

Dear me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333June 1, 2019 12:12 AM

^^ sorry, that's costar - and 1st wife - Peggy Ann Garner.

I can't find a pic of the murdered 2nd wife, Roberta : (

by Anonymousreply 334June 1, 2019 12:17 AM

Yes, R323. I confused the two names.

by Anonymousreply 335June 1, 2019 12:18 AM

I saw the Circle in the Square production with Parker and Crudup. Crudup was sexy as hell but too short and runty to play Bo. Parker was very good, though.

by Anonymousreply 336June 1, 2019 12:20 AM

WHET Sam Harris? Singing show tunes in a cabaret in Palm Springs now? There are worse fates, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 337June 1, 2019 1:20 AM

Per Broadway.com Glenda Jackson's Lear is closing a month early on June 9.

by Anonymousreply 338June 1, 2019 1:35 AM

Glenda Jackson’s collapse is complete.

by Anonymousreply 339June 1, 2019 2:14 AM

Broadway doesn’t go for booze and drugs! Or for 80 year old women cross dressing the classics!

by Anonymousreply 340June 1, 2019 3:05 AM

Very embarrassing for Glenda Jackson. First the Tony snub and now this. I wonder how long it will be until she comes back to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 341June 1, 2019 3:47 AM

Didn't someone ask recently whatever happened to Rory O'Malley? Well, this was on the Playbill website today:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342June 1, 2019 3:59 AM

Riedel's two cents on the Tony race:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343June 1, 2019 4:03 AM

Mame's producers, as well as Jerry Herman, who had written the show with Judy's voice in mind, very much wanted Judy as a replacement Mame, but they weren't able to get an insurance company to cover her. Judy's last few years were very sad from a business perspective.

by Anonymousreply 344June 1, 2019 6:58 AM

Not sure why Scott Rudin pulled the plug on Lear. It's selling better than two of his other shows (Gary and Hillary/Clinton). Seems like a dickhead move from him, but that's no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 345June 1, 2019 12:28 PM

R342, I was looking up a few people I had not seen in years. I did not know Christopher Hanke was on Devious Maids. I was also surprised that Kevin Cahoon was so active in regional theater. He has not been on Broadway since The Wedding Singer.

by Anonymousreply 346June 1, 2019 12:40 PM

Lear has a much larger cast than the other two plus musicians, and many of the actors are known and probably make a decent amount. Lear may be bringing more in but is probably losing more than the others. Lear also has no chance of winning a Tony, while Gary and Metcalf possibly could.

It’s a dickhead move, but his investors are probably happy. Lear could lose half a million dollars or more to stay open that extra month.

Also, Rubin may not care if Jackson is pissed at him. He may care if Nathan Lane and Laurie Metcalf are.

by Anonymousreply 347June 1, 2019 12:41 PM

Anyone have any information or insight into why the Sondheim-Ives collaboration on Bunuel is over?

by Anonymousreply 348June 1, 2019 12:49 PM

David Ives is a hack, based on all those Encores adaptations he did for so many years.

by Anonymousreply 349June 1, 2019 12:51 PM

Whether or not Glenda Jackson will ever return to Broadway is a fair question, but the bigger one is will any producer ever hire Sam Gold to direct another Broadway revival? He does so well with new work but his revivals stink.

by Anonymousreply 350June 1, 2019 1:37 PM

Sam Gold tries too hard to be Ivo van Hove (he even worked t his co in Amsterdam I think) but he's more like Rip Van Winkle.

by Anonymousreply 351June 1, 2019 1:55 PM

What is Michael Riedel on about in his column, claiming that TOOTSIE was the frontrunner for Best Musical and AIN'T TOO PROUD might pull off an upset? Hasn't it been a done deal for a while now that HADESTOWN will be the big winner this year?

by Anonymousreply 352June 1, 2019 2:20 PM

No, not a done deal for Hadestown.

by Anonymousreply 353June 1, 2019 2:23 PM

Tony voters turn in their ballots after they have finished asking their friends who they should vote for.

by Anonymousreply 354June 1, 2019 2:43 PM

Finally saw Laura Benanti's Eliza. Unlike a lot of you, I actually really liked her in She Loves Me and didn't mind the sometimes slyly contemporary take on the character. It worked for me and, of course, she sang it beautifully. But, I thought her Eliza was an almost complete failure. It felt like she was commenting on, rather than playing the character. And, god damn, what a trainwreck her accents were. You hear more authentic British accents on SNL. Such a shame, because, on paper this casting made so much sense and I was genuinely happy for her to finally get this role she'd dreamed of.

Also, side bar, anyone else having trouble with this thread? I can't get it to show up on my Watched threads -- not by replying to thread, nor by manually "watching" it by attempting to change the eye icon orange.

by Anonymousreply 355June 1, 2019 2:44 PM

This year, nobody’s cheering for the musical they want to win the Tony.

Instead, we are all hoping the show we don’t want to won’t win.

by Anonymousreply 356June 1, 2019 2:45 PM

Glenda has publicly stated this would be her last stage appearance.

by Anonymousreply 357June 1, 2019 2:47 PM

Bertie Carvel was publicly slagging off Glenda Jackson’s Lear portrayal at a recent event.

by Anonymousreply 358June 1, 2019 5:24 PM

"slyly contemporary take on the character."

Except the role's not a contemporary character, and the production was devoid of any continental charm or period flavor. If you don't trust the material, don't do it...

by Anonymousreply 359June 1, 2019 5:43 PM

R359, in that specific case, it was more about not trusting the audience.

by Anonymousreply 360June 1, 2019 5:48 PM

[quote]It isn't important what you think. The author and the original director thought Kim Stanley was right; so, she is right.

Right, I'm sure you've never objected to any casting of any show or movie that was sanctioned by the author and the original director. What a stupid remark.

[quote]Lear has a much larger cast than the other two plus musicians, and many of the actors are known and probably make a decent amount. Lear may be bringing more in but is probably losing more than the others. Lear also has no chance of winning a Tony, while Gary and Metcalf possibly could. It’s a dickhead move, but his investors are probably happy. Lear could lose half a million dollars or more to stay open that extra month. Also, Rubin may not care if Jackson is pissed at him. He may care if Nathan Lane and Laurie Metcalf are.

And also, one can only imagine that Jackson is not thrilled at the way this production turned out or the way it has been received, so I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't mind calling it quits a month early. I don't think the early closing is a "dickhead move" on Rudin's part, not by any means.

[quote]David Ives is a hack, based on all those Encores adaptations he did for so many years.

More accurately, Ives is very talented at writing adaptations of classic old comedies (by Moliere et al.) in rhyming verse, but he has almost no talent for any other kind of playwriting (or, presumably, musical theater book writing). He got incredibly lucky with VENUS IN FUR because of the sexy subject matter and the stars, but you'll notice he hasn't had a hit original play since then.

by Anonymousreply 361June 1, 2019 5:55 PM

Still no word on what Encores! season will be next year. Are people fighting with Jack Viertel after a number of disappointing seasons and lackluster casting before they announce? It's usually out there by now what it is going to be since people are all theater-crazy with the Tonys and all.

by Anonymousreply 362June 1, 2019 5:58 PM

Sherrie Scott was right for "Women on the Verge...", I tells ya!

by Anonymousreply 363June 1, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote]Still no word on what Encores! season will be next year. Are people fighting with Jack Viertel after a number of disappointing seasons and lackluster casting before they announce? It's usually out there by now what it is going to be since people are all theater-crazy with the Tonys and all.

I would be great if they're going to remove him. Some really, really bad decisions and administration over the past several years. On the other hand, I hate to imagine the worst as far as whom they might replace him with....

by Anonymousreply 364June 1, 2019 6:25 PM

Sorry, that was supposed to be "IT would be great" if they decided to remove Jack Viertel, not "I would be great." Though I'm sure even I could do a better job than him at programming and administering Encores!

by Anonymousreply 365June 1, 2019 6:29 PM

Bugsy Malone is on right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366June 1, 2019 8:46 PM

Terrible score.

by Anonymousreply 367June 1, 2019 8:54 PM

[quote]Riedel's two cents on the Tony race

Overpriced.

by Anonymousreply 368June 1, 2019 9:08 PM

That Bugsy Malone clip is terrible. Is the whole film that bad?

by Anonymousreply 369June 1, 2019 9:11 PM

[quote] Right, I'm sure you've never objected to any casting of any show or movie that was sanctioned by the author and the original director. What a stupid remark.

Actually, yours is the stupid remark. I am not objecting to *any casting*. I am saying that, whether one likes it or not, what the original author approved, is probably what he wanted*. It is like complaining about Julie Harris in I am a Camera because she is nothing like Liza Minnelli. If another director wants to take it in another direction, that is fine. But claim the original is "wrong" because it does not duplicate the movie version is stupid.

I also love how a few people judge Kim Stanley from an emotional scene where she should actually look a mess. It isn't how she looked the entire show.

*Yes, there are some cases where the author loathed the original casting or concept, but those cases are usually well documented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370June 1, 2019 10:29 PM

It was just a misguided concept, r369.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371June 1, 2019 11:42 PM

Her costume is nicer than Marilyn's (from stock) costume, r370.

by Anonymousreply 372June 1, 2019 11:45 PM

Hadestown isn't some great new revelation but it is the only respectable choice and the best out of all new musicals. No question about it. R355 I really liked her in SHE LOVES ME too. I wasn't impressed with her Eliza either. It was just ok. On paper it does make so much sense.

by Anonymousreply 373June 1, 2019 11:46 PM

Didn’t Scott Baio bust his cherry in England when shooting that film?

by Anonymousreply 374June 1, 2019 11:47 PM

THE PROM's grosses and average ticket price have been going up over the past few weeks. They're not taking home any Tonys, but I hope the upward trend continues and lets the show run through the summer. I'm a sucker for an underdog.

by Anonymousreply 375June 2, 2019 1:04 AM

I wonder if it will get a West End production.

by Anonymousreply 376June 2, 2019 1:49 AM

Barbara Bel Geddes was not the classic overripe sexpot, but by all accounts she was a great Maggie the Cat. Ditto with Geraldine Page in SWEET BIRD. But those women were actresses who could make you believe anything.

by Anonymousreply 377June 2, 2019 2:24 AM

You also have to remember the obvious: that when Bel Geddes, Page and Stanley appeared in those roles, no one had seen anyone else perform them before.

I think it's also safe to safe say that in those 3 plays, Williams and Inge wrote the young men to be the sex objects.

by Anonymousreply 378June 2, 2019 2:35 AM

Just got in from "Frankie & Johnny." It's a good play, although Shannon gives Johnny such a creepy vibe at times that you wonder why Frankie doesn't just call the cops on him. That aside, Michael and Audra have good chemistry and he looks great without clothes on and does have a very raw sexiness about him. I definitely wouldn't kick him outta bed (Shannon that is, not Johnny).

By the way, I also saw "A Strange Loop" last night at Playwrights Horizons. "Strange" is exactly the word for it but it's also a pretty fun time with a very game cast and the playwright, Michael R. Jackson (who we ran into in the lobby before the show; very nice guy), is an equal-opportunity offender with plenty of jokes aimed at blacks, whites, and Tyler Perry, too.

by Anonymousreply 379June 2, 2019 3:28 AM

[quote]I am not objecting to *any casting*. I am saying that, whether one likes it or not, what the original author approved, is probably what he wanted*. It is like complaining about Julie Harris in I am a Camera because she is nothing like Liza Minnelli. If another director wants to take it in another direction, that is fine. But claim the original is "wrong" because it does not duplicate the movie version is stupid.

I didn't criticize the casting of Kim Stanley as Cherie because she's a different type that Marilyn Monroe in the movie, but because I really think it's important for the story that Cherie be very pretty rather than downright homely as she appears in that video clip, so that we understand Beau's aggressive pursuit of her. That said, I just Googled to see if I could find more visuals of Stanley in BUS STOP and I came up with this photo, in which she looks FAR prettier than she does in that video. So I guess maybe she just looks particularly bad in that clip for some reason, and I apologize if I misjudged her appearance in the role based on that.

[quote]Barbara Bel Geddes was not the classic overripe sexpot, but by all accounts she was a great Maggie the Cat.

Funny you mention that, because I was just about to say that the clip I've seen of Bel Geddes and Ben Gazzara in a scene from CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF leaves me thinking that both of them were terribly miscast in that play -- she because she's totally wrong for Maggie in terms of her physical appearance, her personality, and her lack of overt sex appeal, he because his voice and type are all wrong for Brick. And no, I am not just comparing them to Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman, but to every other actress and actor I've ever seen in those parts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380June 2, 2019 3:42 AM

[quote]Also, side bar, anyone else having trouble with this thread? I can't get it to show up on my Watched threads -- not by replying to thread, nor by manually "watching" it by attempting to change the eye icon orange.

#MeToo

by Anonymousreply 381June 2, 2019 3:54 AM

#metoo

by Anonymousreply 382June 2, 2019 4:30 AM

R299 Jessie Williams was the nude model love interest in the sequel to the SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS movie.

by Anonymousreply 383June 2, 2019 5:00 AM

[quote]It's usually out there by now what it is going to be since people are all theater-crazy with the Tonys and all.

It’s actually only the last couple of years that the next Encores! season was announced in May. Prior, it was more often in September.

by Anonymousreply 384June 2, 2019 5:14 AM

The worst-case scenario for a replacement for Jack Viertel at Encores would be Daniel Fish.

by Anonymousreply 385June 2, 2019 5:15 AM

R385 , that made me laugh. What if Daniel Fish had directed Kiss Me Kate this season? What crazy ideas would he have had?

by Anonymousreply 386June 2, 2019 5:52 AM

I have a hunch that A Strange Loop will make me want to poop. What the f*ck kind of non-story is this, a navel-gazer about a black gay musical theater writer? Crikey.

by Anonymousreply 387June 2, 2019 6:27 AM

This is the summary?

[quote]Usher is a black, queer writer, working a day job he hates while writing his original musical: a piece about a black, queer writer, working a day job he hates while writing his original musical.

by Anonymousreply 388June 2, 2019 6:32 AM

Not to bring the room down but Michael Friedman was Viertel's heir apparent so

by Anonymousreply 389June 2, 2019 10:12 AM

Maybe the insufferable Louis Peitzman can be the heir apparent, since that who 'journalist' thing didn't work out too well

by Anonymousreply 390June 2, 2019 10:53 AM

I’m available!

by Anonymousreply 391June 2, 2019 11:09 AM

From Variety: “Atlantic’s “Hamilton” album has beat the record held by Adele’s “21” for longest stay in the sales top 40.”

by Anonymousreply 392June 2, 2019 11:43 AM

r355 r381 and r382 click the eye to make it orange, then leave the page open long enough for the recent threads column to populate fully. That seems to keep things in place for the 'Watched' option to take effect.

by Anonymousreply 393June 2, 2019 12:50 PM

I'm guessing that there was a scrappy and aggressive hyper-sexuality that made up for physical allure in Bel Geddes' performance as Maggie. She was more the equivalent of Big Daddy than Brick.

Interestingly, Kim Hunter was no great beauty and hardly matched up to Brando's magnificent presence in Streetcar.

by Anonymousreply 394June 2, 2019 12:53 PM

R394, why should Stella be a great beauty? That is a weird comment.

by Anonymousreply 395June 2, 2019 1:36 PM

I've always thought that Stanley was supposed to be considered above Stella's league and that's why she endured his abuse and put up with his shenanigans. Because she was hot as fuck for him and didn't think she could do better, lookwise.

by Anonymousreply 396June 2, 2019 1:49 PM

R396, that is one interpretation--but not the script itself.

You idea is viable. But she could also be a goodlooking woman who puts up with an abusive man in her league because she loves fucking him.

Also, seeing Stella and Blanche's interaction one can think that Stella is someone who has been dominated all her life by family and it happy to find a man who recreates that scenario.

Or that with no family resources Stella is trapped and making the best of a bad situation.

There are many ways to play the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 397June 2, 2019 2:13 PM

How can anyone feel that Kim Hunter was plain?

by Anonymousreply 398June 2, 2019 2:43 PM

She was what was known as a “handsome woman.” Not pretty in the conventional sense but still attractive.

by Anonymousreply 399June 2, 2019 2:47 PM

Kims (Hunter and Stanley), Sandy Dennis, Bel Geddes, and Page were what I call "character actress pretty".

by Anonymousreply 400June 2, 2019 2:55 PM

I'm probably never going to bother with Tootsie but Santino's Awards Chatter podcast with THR is pretty likeable.

by Anonymousreply 401June 2, 2019 3:07 PM

Here's that clip of Bel Geddes and Gazzara in CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF, so everyone can just for themselves whether or not they were well cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402June 2, 2019 4:30 PM

So the Drama Desks aren't streaming anywhere this year?

by Anonymousreply 403June 2, 2019 4:38 PM

Speaking of diversity in casting ... I saw an all-Asian (well, and one African-American) cast in "Mamma Mia!" in L.A. yesterday. The audience was mostly Asian, too. (And there was some MAJOR male eye candy.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 2, 2019 5:05 PM

That's what I read the other day, R403, though I'd certainly like for that to be misinformation. I look forward to watching the stream every year.

by Anonymousreply 405June 2, 2019 7:33 PM

R404 All-Asian (and one black) is not diversity.

by Anonymousreply 406June 2, 2019 7:43 PM

Well, Bel Geddes looks radiant in that clip, no doubt about it. She may not have the heat of a Rita Hayworth or an Ava Gardner but she's certainly as pretty as any 1950s stage star.

I believe it was considered quite daring playing an entire long scene in a thin silk slip, even in 1958 (not that it was her idea).

by Anonymousreply 407June 2, 2019 8:03 PM

Geraldine Page at her most glam in “Sweet Bird of Youth”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408June 2, 2019 8:25 PM

[quote]Well, Bel Geddes looks radiant in that clip, no doubt about it. She may not have the heat of a Rita Hayworth or an Ava Gardner but she's certainly as pretty as any 1950s stage star.

Right, but Maggie is not supposed to be radiant in a very pretty, open, fresh-faced young woman way, she's supposed to be sexy in a much more sultry way.

by Anonymousreply 409June 2, 2019 8:44 PM

[quote]r407 Well, Bel Geddes looks radiant in that clip, no doubt about it. She may not have the heat of a Rita Hayworth or an Ava Gardner but she's certainly as pretty as any 1950s stage star.

I agree. The clips from BUS STOP and CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF are misleading, because I think they were shot out of context for the Ed Sullivan show or something, on terrible film stock with harsh lighting, and the crude footage isn't even well preserved. Those performances were never intended to be see in closeup. The actors aren't even giving what would have been their true performances, because they're doing one random scene without any build up, as they'd have on a usual night in the theater.

[quote] I believe it was considered quite daring playing an entire long scene in a thin silk slip, even in 1958 (not that it was her idea).

She just spends 1 or 2 scenes in her slip, but those are the most photographed (!) Maggie enters in a party dress that's soiled, takes it off, and eventually changes into another dress. But between those two outfits she IS in her slip for a long time.

I love the original Broadway poster, BTW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410June 2, 2019 8:54 PM

Ben Gazzara wasn’t right for Brick, either. He was too Italian-American and thuggish for Brick. I’d never have believed him as a former football star in the South.

by Anonymousreply 411June 2, 2019 8:59 PM

I read on the broadway database site that Patricia Neal played Maggie for 2 weeks in the original run - maybe when Bel Geddes was on vacation?

I bet she was fabulous. Her voice is so wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 412June 2, 2019 9:18 PM

Well, my GOODNES. Big Mama in the 2017 London production!

Millie Dunnock would just DIE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413June 2, 2019 9:32 PM

What that production set in a cathouse??? My lord!

by Anonymousreply 414June 2, 2019 10:04 PM

Outrageous. Foul.

And dangerous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415June 2, 2019 10:22 PM

r409 and r411 'supposed to be' and 'wasn't right'? are you bitches seriously correcting Kazan and Williams's original casting?

by Anonymousreply 416June 2, 2019 10:46 PM

They're allowed their own opinions, r416.

by Anonymousreply 417June 2, 2019 10:55 PM

[quote]r409 Maggie is not supposed to be radiant in a very pretty, open, fresh-faced young woman way, she's supposed to be sexy in a much more sultry way.

Says who? She's a housewife who wants to have a baby, not a Las Vegas call girl. The fact that some actresses have played her as "sultry" in the past does not mean that's a necessary characteristic.

She's described as "fertile".

by Anonymousreply 418June 2, 2019 10:59 PM

[quote]r417 They're allowed their own opinions

Like HELL they are!

I think my favorite celeb story is someone saying to (uptight) John Wayne during the McCarthy hearings, "You know, Duke, not everythings a black and white issue." To which he answered, "Why the hell [italic]NOT??"[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 419June 2, 2019 11:02 PM

[quote]She's described as "fertile".

Which translates as "slutty".

by Anonymousreply 420June 2, 2019 11:44 PM

Would Alex Brightman winning for "Beetlejuice" be considered an upset? I actually saw one poll that listed him at #2 behind Santino.

by Anonymousreply 421June 2, 2019 11:47 PM

[quote]r420 She's described as "fertile" / Which translates as "slutty"

It would actually be funny to see a dowdy actress play Maggie. ("You can't even bear to touch me!")

One wonders what Sada Thompson, Bea Arthur (or dare we say it, Chrissy Metz) might do with the role.

by Anonymousreply 422June 2, 2019 11:56 PM

Did Tennessee Williams coin the phrase "....like a cat on a hot tin roof" or was that something Southerners always said?

by Anonymousreply 423June 3, 2019 12:00 AM

[quote]Would Alex Brightman winning for "Beetlejuice" be considered an upset? I actually saw one poll that listed him at #2 behind Santino.

He's actually listed as number two a couple of places. But there is no way he would win. Santino's the winner. The only possibility of a squeak-through would be with Brooks because he is so well-liked (though so is Santino). Alex, on the other hand, is NOT well-liked.

by Anonymousreply 424June 3, 2019 12:01 AM

[quote]or dare we say it, Chrissy Metz) might do with the role.

Can Maggie have a snack purse?

by Anonymousreply 425June 3, 2019 12:02 AM

alex brightman better not win shit.

by Anonymousreply 426June 3, 2019 1:07 AM

or else what, r426?

by Anonymousreply 427June 3, 2019 1:09 AM

Santino Fontana, bland and boring, winning for Tootsie the goddamned musical. Broadway is such a waste of time these days.

by Anonymousreply 428June 3, 2019 1:16 AM

^^^It really is. I sat next to a woman at HADESTOWN yesterday. She's been coming from Denver for years to see Broadway. She said she was tired of the crap and Hadestown was the only one she wanted to see. No one should be winning any awards this season. All winners are getting away with highway robbery. R427 I SAID WHAT I SAID.

by Anonymousreply 429June 3, 2019 1:20 AM

"It would actually be funny to see a dowdy act play Maggie."

No, it wouldn't. You want variety of types. You got a dowdy actress? Cast her as Big Mama. But since Williams described Maggie as a "pretty young woman," cast her exactly as that or you go against the author's intention , which is out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 430June 3, 2019 1:32 AM

Well, Aaron Burr never said he wanted to be played by a Latin guy or any POC.

by Anonymousreply 431June 3, 2019 1:42 AM

That Sienna Miller "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" was one of the phoniest pieces of shit I've ever seen. Unwatchable except for Brick's dick.

by Anonymousreply 432June 3, 2019 1:45 AM

I remember an interview with Tony Shalhoub after he won for The Band's Visit in which he said that he couldn't believe that after four Tony nominations he finally won for Best Actor in a MUSICAL for a show in which he barely sang and didn't dance.

by Anonymousreply 433June 3, 2019 1:46 AM

He sounds like a bitter bitch - -

by Anonymousreply 434June 3, 2019 1:52 AM

No, r434, I'll try to find it, but he really came across as being dumbfounded by the win, which he wasn't expecting at all.

by Anonymousreply 435June 3, 2019 1:59 AM

How was the ScarJo "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"?

by Anonymousreply 436June 3, 2019 2:02 AM

You mean the one with Charlie Williams as Dream skipper?

by Anonymousreply 437June 3, 2019 2:08 AM

Was ScarJo's production the one where you saw the naked ghost of Skipper or whatever his name was?

Before posting the above, I googled and indeed it was. Rob Ashford directed, surprise, surprise, and why?

But yeah, how was ScarJo and the rest of it? I remember very divided reviews.

by Anonymousreply 438June 3, 2019 2:09 AM

I'd have liked to see the 2008 production.

It's quite a loooooong play, though. Are all of Tennessee William' 3 acts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439June 3, 2019 2:12 AM

Well, you know it's true that Ashford's lips are permanently attached to Charlie's cock.

by Anonymousreply 440June 3, 2019 2:12 AM

I guess that means Ashford had the good sense to be out of frame in the vid of Charlie giving that bartender a french polish.

by Anonymousreply 441June 3, 2019 2:17 AM

I am dying to respond to you favorably, r431, but discretion forces me to bury my quill.

Agreed, r432. As dreadful as that Gillian Anderson STREETCAR.

by Anonymousreply 442June 3, 2019 2:42 AM

[quote]Well, Aaron Burr never said he wanted to be played by a Latin guy or any POC.

Aaron Burr didn’t write “Hamilton”.

by Anonymousreply 443June 3, 2019 2:45 AM

The Yiddish Fiddler just beat Oklahoma for the Drama Desk.

by Anonymousreply 444June 3, 2019 2:46 AM

Yes but did Jackie Hoffman beat Ali Stroker?

by Anonymousreply 445June 3, 2019 2:50 AM

And Prom beat fucking Tootsie

by Anonymousreply 446June 3, 2019 2:51 AM

I've always thought the story of Theodosia. Burr's daughter would make a good romantic musical. He made sure she was very well educated, unusual for a woman of that period, and they were very close. She married the Governor of South Carolina but disappeared off the coast of North Carolina while sailing back to New York to see him. Standard histories say her ship was lost in a hurricane but for decades there have been rumors her ship was captured by pirates and she was either forced into sexual slavery or to walk the plank. Other stories say she was married into a Native American tribe. A mysterious portrait of her that she was allegedly carrying on the ship reappeared decades later. The rumors are intriguing as to her actual fate and have some supporting but inconclusive evidence.

by Anonymousreply 447June 3, 2019 2:59 AM

Tootsie wins best book, lyrics, and music, but The Prom wins Best Musical?

by Anonymousreply 448June 3, 2019 3:04 AM

Raymond Burr's daughter did all that?

by Anonymousreply 449June 3, 2019 3:04 AM

You mean the daughter he made up? Or was it a son and a wife?

by Anonymousreply 450June 3, 2019 3:05 AM

Ragtime won best book, lyrics, and music, r448, but lost to Julie's puppet show as Best Musical.

by Anonymousreply 451June 3, 2019 3:08 AM

I hope Hadestown won bupkes.

by Anonymousreply 452June 3, 2019 3:09 AM

[quote]Ragtime won best book, lyrics, and music, [R448], but lost to Julie's puppet show as Best Musical.

Not at the Drama Desks it didn't. Ragtime won.

by Anonymousreply 453June 3, 2019 3:11 AM

r452 It wasn't nominated because it wasn't eligible.

by Anonymousreply 454June 3, 2019 3:12 AM

R450, He made up a son, who died, and two wives, who both died, one in a plane crash. I didn't know he also made up a daughter, who, I presume, also died.

by Anonymousreply 455June 3, 2019 3:12 AM

[quote]r454 It wasn't nominated because it wasn't eligible.

[bold]#iWantToSpeak2aManager

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456June 3, 2019 3:17 AM

Yeah, I should have specified I was talking about at the Tonys, r453. Glad it won the DD.

Is Tonys the correct plural of Tony? I don't know anything any more.

by Anonymousreply 457June 3, 2019 3:18 AM

Yes....

by Anonymousreply 458June 3, 2019 3:20 AM

Unless you're talking about the home perm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459June 3, 2019 3:22 AM

Or the doll....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460June 3, 2019 3:27 AM

or the frosted flakes mascot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461June 3, 2019 3:29 AM

Or Toni Tennille.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462June 3, 2019 4:03 AM

"Ragtime won best book, lyrics, and music, [[R448]], but lost to Julie's puppet show as Best Musical."

Well, of course. Julie's puppet show had an idea in its head.

by Anonymousreply 463June 3, 2019 4:10 AM

No, it has a good opening number and a plot stolen from Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 464June 3, 2019 4:14 AM

Nosing around in the Lortel archives, I note both Bonnie Franklin AND Pia Zadora replaced Bernadette Peters in [italic]Dames at Sea[/italic] in 1970.

So hard to pick who'd be better to see - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465June 3, 2019 4:20 AM

"Ragtime" has a pretty damn good opening number too!

by Anonymousreply 466June 3, 2019 4:23 AM

I saw "Dames At Sea" at least 30 years ago, but my local community theater is doing it next month. I think it's worthy of a repeat viewing -- I remember enjoying some of the score.

by Anonymousreply 467June 3, 2019 4:24 AM

"No, it has a good opening number and a plot stolen from Hamlet."

Which, of course, is the least of it.

by Anonymousreply 468June 3, 2019 4:36 AM

"I remember enjoying some of the score."

It's a WONDERFUL pastiche. But is there an audience left to appreciate it? Hopefully you'll have a lot of TCM fans in the house.

by Anonymousreply 469June 3, 2019 4:37 AM

Charlie Williams did not play "Dream Skipper" while that character lasted in Ashford's horrific CAT production. It was another actor, Jordan Dean.

Incredible that anyone would insist Barbara Bel Geddes and Ben Gazzara were right for Maggie and Brick, especially after seeing that clip. They were wrong, wrong, wrong for the parts, and I don't care who cast them. Just because they were the originals doesn't mean they were good casting, and even geniuses can make casting mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 470June 3, 2019 4:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471June 3, 2019 4:50 AM

David Christmas' next show after "Dames At Sea" didn't require too extensive a costume, as "Grin and Bare It" required him and other actors, including William Le Massena, who acted with the Lunts, to appear nude, as the play was about a family of nudists.

by Anonymousreply 472June 3, 2019 4:54 AM

R471, compare your left costume sketch to this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473June 3, 2019 4:58 AM

Eerie! The designer could well be a DLer!

#FullCircle

by Anonymousreply 474June 3, 2019 5:17 AM

[quote]Santino Fontana, bland and boring, winning for Tootsie the goddamned musical. Broadway is such a waste of time these days.

Then why do you keep showing up to bitch about it? You’ve become as boring and one-note as Broadway is.

by Anonymousreply 475June 3, 2019 5:19 AM

So on FB, the word is out that two of the Encores shows next season will be Love Life and Mack and Mabel, both of which were speculated about her in the last couple of weeks. Sondheim’s 90th is in March, but there’s nothing left for them to do except his hits. Oh, and supposedly Doug Sills and Alexandra Socha will be playing Mack & Mabel, as they did in that Hey Look Me Over revue. Sills will be four years older than Preston was when he originated it.

by Anonymousreply 476June 3, 2019 5:33 AM

People have been speculating about Encores doing Love Life and Mack and Mabel for literally years. Two of their most requested shows. The usual reasons given for not doing them have been that were waiting for the officially authorized restoration of LL to be completed and that Herman wouldn't license M&M for a New York concert because he had been holding out for a full scale revival.

by Anonymousreply 477June 3, 2019 5:48 AM

Lets focus on 2020 tony awards, since no one really cares about this year-

Does Moulin Rouge sweep?

by Anonymousreply 478June 3, 2019 9:57 AM

r451 Urinetown won book music and director Tony but Thoroughly Modern Milie won Best Musical

by Anonymousreply 479June 3, 2019 11:53 AM

I had a friend who was the conductor of Dames at Sea. He said that Pia Zadora was wonderful. Unfortunately, she lied about her age to get the job, (she was 16); so, they had to fire her.

by Anonymousreply 480June 3, 2019 12:09 PM

And Into the Woods won best book and score but Phantom took Best Musical (and best director, I think, for Prince).

by Anonymousreply 481June 3, 2019 12:09 PM

FOUR Drama Desks for Tootsie? Shameful.

To give it the win for music is embarrassing. Be More Chill had better music than Tootsie. I say that as a Yazbek fan. He phoned this one in.

Steven Skybell or Brooks should've won over Santino.

by Anonymousreply 482June 3, 2019 12:52 PM

Evita at Encores? Really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483June 3, 2019 2:20 PM

Oh, wait, Evita will be a special two week engagement at City Center. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 484June 3, 2019 2:21 PM

And an Asian Thoroughly Modern Millie? Uhhh...OK.

by Anonymousreply 485June 3, 2019 2:23 PM

Even if Millie gets a revised book, it still has that stinko score.

by Anonymousreply 486June 3, 2019 2:27 PM

[quote]r480 I had a friend who was the conductor of Dames at Sea. He said that Pia Zadora was wonderful. Unfortunately, she lied about her age to get the job, (she was 16); so, they had to fire her.

I bet Bonnie Franklin ratted her out, so she could take the job.

Some things never change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487June 3, 2019 2:32 PM

You were stomping your little foot as you were typing that, weren't you, r470?

by Anonymousreply 488June 3, 2019 2:40 PM

A PC Thorougly Modern Millie? Really, Jack Viertel? That’s the best you could do? Wow, worst Encores choice ever!

by Anonymousreply 489June 3, 2019 3:32 PM

This should be Viertel's last season at Encores. There are beloved old shows he refuses to consider, so as part of that new initiative they're boasting about, Viertel's ouster should be a major part of it.

by Anonymousreply 490June 3, 2019 3:35 PM

The SJWs are now running Broadway and Hollywood, which is why we're constantly bombarded by these message shows/lectures and ultra PC mixed casting. Nothing wrong with non-traditional casting until you're being forced to cast your show/films that way, even if it takes place in a specific time and place. It's insane!

I dread to see what they'll do to EVITA, one of my favorite shows. They'll probably cast swarthy Hispanics even though Argentina is not like other Latin American countries. Like the US, Argentina received a influx of European immigrants and thus have a white majority population. Eva herself was of Basque descent. Peron was Italian (original surname Peroni). Che Guevara was of Basque/Irish ancestry.

by Anonymousreply 491June 3, 2019 4:27 PM

Then LMM will make the perfect Che, R491!

by Anonymousreply 492June 3, 2019 5:17 PM

I just hope we finally see a day when LMM stops acting. Why should we all suffer just because he can’t stop writing vehicles for himself? OR take a goddamned voice lesson and put yourself into an acting class. You can afford it!

by Anonymousreply 493June 3, 2019 5:34 PM

I hope we finally see a day when LMM sits down and shuts up.

by Anonymousreply 494June 3, 2019 5:36 PM

I hope we see the day when the "I hate LMM" troll finally sits down and shuts up.

by Anonymousreply 495June 3, 2019 5:39 PM

LMM is Tuesday night Eva!

by Anonymousreply 496June 3, 2019 5:55 PM

I think that's multiple trolls, r495.

by Anonymousreply 497June 3, 2019 6:09 PM

For the person upthread wondering if Brooks is still with his longtime boyfriend, sounds like the answer is yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498June 3, 2019 6:51 PM

Why don't the SJWs have a problem with Miss Saigon? Is the female subjugation okay because the women aren't white or black?

by Anonymousreply 499June 3, 2019 7:01 PM

LMM will be translating the English into Spanish for EVITA. And of course, playing Peron. You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 500June 3, 2019 7:19 PM

Please say you're joking, r500.

by Anonymousreply 501June 3, 2019 7:21 PM

Who sank Bonnie Franklin’s stage career post ONE DAY AT A TIME? She had her 1970 Tony nom, she’d been fêted and cosseted by all when she triumphantly returned to the televised awards show the next year ... then she finally limps back to the stage decades later at the Pittsburgh Public Theater, of all places.

Was she really that insufferable? Why was she shunned? Even Nancy “BAJOUR!” Dessault was a replacement witch in INTO THE WOODS.

I’m dying to know why Broadway hated her.

by Anonymousreply 502June 3, 2019 7:45 PM

[quote][R451] Urinetown won book music and director Tony but Thoroughly Modern Milie won Best Musical

Once again-- not at the Drama Desks.

Musical and director: TMM

Book: Elaine Stritch: At Liberty

Music and Lyrics: The Last Five Years

by Anonymousreply 503June 3, 2019 8:03 PM

Why didn’t Bonnie Franklin and Elaine Stritch do ‘NIGHT, MOTHER in stock together?

(And why do I giggle at the thought of Bonnie Franklin in practically ANY stage role???)

by Anonymousreply 504June 3, 2019 8:08 PM

Did Bonnie ever play Rose?

by Anonymousreply 505June 3, 2019 8:43 PM

Bonnie actually looked like someone who could be named Reno Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 506June 3, 2019 9:06 PM

I don't think Brandon was coming on to anyone on the return plane home. He was just being friendly.

by Anonymousreply 507June 3, 2019 9:08 PM

R104, have you seen Richard in interviews? He's not full on Ben Whishaw on the spectrum, but he does seem quite self conscious. Brandon seems much more sure of himself.

by Anonymousreply 508June 3, 2019 9:11 PM

The poster above is right, R is often glued to his phone in pap pics. It wouldn't surprise me if his claims of "unplugging" are just a front.

by Anonymousreply 509June 3, 2019 9:12 PM

In the immortal words of Forbidden Broadway: "Hi, I'm Thoroughly Modern Millie, the WORST Best Musical ever!" I'm stunned that Encores has subverted their mission this much to produce a PC version of this mediocre musical. With decades worth of neglected musicals to showcase at Encores, THIS piece of shit cried out for a new (and revised) production? And regarding this new policy, will only living composers be allowed to rework their flawed musicals for Encores, or if the original artists are gone will we start getting more godawful "revisals" like the David Henry Hwang Flower Drum Song? This really strikes me as a cynical move to fix a troubled show so that it can have a second life, which is not what Encores was supposed to be about. It’s time for Jack Viertel to move on.

by Anonymousreply 510June 3, 2019 9:17 PM

Agreed. Were it not for LOVE LIFE, I'd sell my excellent 5th Row Orchestra subscription seat.

by Anonymousreply 511June 3, 2019 9:25 PM

Agree with R510. Millie is only being produced by Encores so they can fix the... dare I say it... PROBLEMATIC aspects of the show so that high schools can produce it again, guilt-free. It’s only for money.

by Anonymousreply 512June 3, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote]r505 Did Bonnie ever play Rose?

It could have been GREAT publicity for her to do some "Reunion Tour" with Mackenzie as Louise.

Schneider as Herbie, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513June 3, 2019 9:59 PM

[quote]r510 This really is not what Encores was supposed to be about. It’s time for Jack Viertel to move on.

LOCK 'IM UP!

by Anonymousreply 514June 3, 2019 10:01 PM

I'm sorry, but [italic]Love Life[/italic] climaxes with a MINSTREL SHOW?

[quote]The final scene is an old-fashioned minstrel show in which the interlocutor and minstrels review some foolish responses to love and marriage ("We're Sellin' Sunshine"): using astrology to find the right mate ("Madame Zuzu"), ignoring love altogether ("Takin' No Chances"), and insisting on unattainable perfection, which inspires Susan to sing about her own ideal man ("Mr. Right").

Well, that sounds charming. Will there be full-on blackface, or just jazz hands?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515June 3, 2019 10:09 PM

R515, If Encores is true to its mission, that is exactly how it should end.

by Anonymousreply 516June 3, 2019 10:22 PM

[quote]"Hi, I'm Thoroughly Modern Millie, the WORST Best Musical ever!"

Oh, really? Worse than me?

by Anonymousreply 517June 4, 2019 12:31 AM

Worse than any POS musical that wins this year?

by Anonymousreply 518June 4, 2019 1:14 AM

Was Dorothy Squires offered any stage shows?

Her subtlety is ... quite something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519June 4, 2019 2:34 AM

Some lovely soul has uploaded a full length bootleg of the fucking delightful 2014 revival of ON THE TOWN. Might wanna download it before it gets taken down. I regretted only being able to see this production once. I'm loving reliving that GORGEOUS Bernstein/Comden-Green score performed by that incredible orchestra, sung so winningly by that cast and - god - the dance. I highly doubt even the original production was this strong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520June 4, 2019 3:02 AM

Well, the original didn't have Jackie Hoffman climbing the scenery (literally) to get a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 521June 4, 2019 3:16 AM

Has Encores ever done Carnival? I love the song "Her Face."

by Anonymousreply 522June 4, 2019 3:18 AM

The only thing I didn’t like about that On The Town revival was Jay Armstrong Johnson. I can’t even listen to his voice on the cast recording. He’s so... googly.

by Anonymousreply 523June 4, 2019 3:19 AM

I thought the Minstrels go throughout Love Life, not just the ending? Economics comes midway through Act Two.

There used to be a video of a college production that was done about 25 years ago, but I don’t think it’s on YouTube anymore.

by Anonymousreply 524June 4, 2019 3:25 AM

Yes, r522. Anne Hathaway was Lili, Brian Stokes Mitchell was Paul, and Debbie Gravitte was Rosalie. This was about 16 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 525June 4, 2019 3:26 AM

Big dick, though, r523. That can make up for a lot of googliness.

by Anonymousreply 526June 4, 2019 3:27 AM

Thanks, R525. Was it good?

by Anonymousreply 527June 4, 2019 3:27 AM

Yes, the Encores! production of CARNIVAL was excellent. Hathaway and Stokes were wonderful in it, also the rest of the cast, including Doug Sills and Debbie Gravitte.

by Anonymousreply 528June 4, 2019 3:41 AM

It's a shame that Carnival didn't transfer- it was beautiful, Stokes was at his finest (early 21st century Stokes is missed) and Hathaway was heartbreaking

by Anonymousreply 529June 4, 2019 10:12 AM

Hathaway's acting was wonderful in Carnival, but if you've heard Anna Maria Alberghetti on the Broadway album, you've heard the part sung in a way that Hathaway couldn't hope to come close to.

by Anonymousreply 530June 4, 2019 11:59 AM

That ON THE TOWN was wonderful! So far superior to An American in Paris and even The King and I the same season.

If nothing else, watch the Miss Turnstiles Ballet with magnificent Megan Fairchild at around 15:00 in, and the rarely seen Gabey's Comin' with the dress store mannequins before that.

by Anonymousreply 531June 4, 2019 12:14 PM

I liked ON THE TOWN. Saw it twice. I didn't really care for the three actors playing the sailors though.

by Anonymousreply 532June 4, 2019 12:24 PM

I do not think Santino comes across well in his Awards Charter podcast. He’s too eager, complimentary to literally everyone and a name dropper like I’ve never heard.

He sounds delighted with his success, which is nice for him, but trying way to hard to charm and ingratiate himself with listeners.

Kelli O’Hara, on the other hand, comes across as much tougher, ambitious and driven than I would have expected. Her interview sounds way more authentic than Santino’s.

These podcasts are fantastic if you don’t know them. Not usually Broadway stars, but enough sprinkled in here and there. Scott Feinberg, the host, really prepares and knows his stuff - though he’s much stronger with movies.

by Anonymousreply 533June 4, 2019 12:25 PM

CARNIVAL also included David Costabile, currently of Billions fame, in the Pierre Olaf role.

by Anonymousreply 534June 4, 2019 1:12 PM

CARNIVAL clips.

Anne is beguiling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535June 4, 2019 2:04 PM

R533, that’s just reflective of how, in one of the weakest seasons in several years, being the front runner does not mean you are a star.

by Anonymousreply 536June 4, 2019 2:09 PM

Santino is so bland. He got lucky to pick up a starring role, even if it is in Tootsie. The prince role in Cinderella is perfect for what he can do. He isn’t much beyond that, though.

by Anonymousreply 537June 4, 2019 2:29 PM

Santino gets the job done in Tootsie. It’s not the easiest role to play, and he is convincing as a man who could pass as a woman in the world of this musical. But is he inspired? No, not really. Sarah Stiles, John Behlman and Andy Grots are all working on a higher plane than he is. But this is a weak season, and he would still get my vote.

I would put Lilli Cooper in the same good-enough category. I found Reg Rogers to be affected and irritating. McGrath and Halston are great as always but their parts are very small.

by Anonymousreply 538June 4, 2019 3:46 PM

[quote]r521 Well, the original didn't have Jackie Hoffman climbing the scenery (literally) to get a laugh.

Was she lauded for this? The Hollywood Reporter was mean. I'm sure she was just doing what she was told:

[italic]"The one area in which Rando pushes too hard for laughs is with human cartoon Hoffman. Not only as Mme. Dilly but in a series of bit parts, the always-amusing character actress attempts to turn the show into “Tales of Hoffman” with her unrestrained sourpuss mugging."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539June 4, 2019 3:56 PM

[quote]Millie is only being produced by Encores so they can fix the... dare I say it... PROBLEMATIC aspects of the show so that high schools can produce it again, guilt-free.

So is this going to be a Thoroughly Modern Millie Jr.? Will they still have the regular show available for community/regional theater?

by Anonymousreply 540June 4, 2019 4:11 PM

Why are we not discussing Stephanie J Block having won an award?

Doesn't this mean she really is the front runner for the Tony?

by Anonymousreply 541June 4, 2019 4:27 PM

SJB has won every single precursor to the Tony so yes, she’s going to win Best Actress in a Musical.

There’s nothing to discuss.

by Anonymousreply 542June 4, 2019 4:39 PM

[quote]Was she lauded for this? The Hollywood Reporter was mean. I'm sure she was just doing what she was told:

I wouldn't assume that Jackie Hoffman was "just doing what she was told." She's a chronic chewer of scenery, and I would imagine she came up with many of her bits during rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 543June 4, 2019 4:50 PM

Another high point of that Encores! Carnival were the wonderful puppets designed and built by Jim Henson's NY Muppet Workshop.

by Anonymousreply 544June 4, 2019 5:18 PM

I have to admit I usually love Jackie Hoffman's mugging but she was insufferable in On The Town. But then, so was Mary Testa. Maybe its the part...

by Anonymousreply 545June 4, 2019 5:51 PM

I would never pay to see anything with Jackie Hoffman again. She makes the show all about her, no matter how small the part. Remember all the bitching she did about her part in Addams Family? Sorry, but no one in the audience was concerned about the comings and goings of Grandmama.

by Anonymousreply 546June 4, 2019 6:28 PM

What did she say about Grandmama?

by Anonymousreply 547June 4, 2019 6:36 PM

She was constantly bitching about not having enough stage time or a song. Sorry. You took a shitty part, albeit one perfect a human cartoon like Hoffman. Seriously though, who cares what that character wants or needs? It wasn’t The Jackie Hoffman Family.

by Anonymousreply 548June 4, 2019 6:57 PM

I am second to none in my loathing of Jackie Hoffman, but she’s surprisingly good in the Yiddish Fiddler that’s off-Broadway now. And the Tevye is the best I’ve ever seen. He’s leagues better than Alfred Molina or Danny Burstein.

by Anonymousreply 549June 4, 2019 8:27 PM

Or Topol?

by Anonymousreply 550June 4, 2019 8:35 PM

An unfortunately worded announcement. Before the obit, the Tony Committee stated:

[quote]Sad to hear. Bonnie Franklin received a Tony Award nomination for her memorable performance in the musical “Applause.”

We’ll say!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551June 4, 2019 8:47 PM

[quote]Doesn't this mean she really is the front runner for the Tony?

Where have you been? She’s been the front runner almost since the nominations were announced. Kelli O’Hara, her only viable competition, already has one, so it’s SJB’s.

by Anonymousreply 552June 4, 2019 9:14 PM

SJB has always been infinitely more talented and interesting than O’Hara, but O’Hara’s blonde, and you all know how that goes in America.

by Anonymousreply 553June 4, 2019 9:23 PM

R553 that blondness didn't help her to win the first 5 times she was nominated. In fact, she lost TWICE to two black actresses -- LaChanze in '06 and Audra in '12.

by Anonymousreply 554June 4, 2019 9:28 PM

She has always had more attention than Block.

by Anonymousreply 555June 4, 2019 9:32 PM

AnnE does sound lovely in those Carnival clips. It's too bad she left the theater, although, I'm sure, she is making a lot more money for a lot less work. She could have made a wonderful Eliza Dolittle.

by Anonymousreply 556June 4, 2019 10:12 PM

Santino comes off as a disingenuous try-hard. I hope Tony voters have taken note, as he really doesn't deserve the award.

by Anonymousreply 557June 4, 2019 10:35 PM

Any West Side Story update?

by Anonymousreply 558June 4, 2019 10:53 PM

Oddsmakers predict the Tony winners:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559June 4, 2019 11:08 PM

Eh, I'm taking those predictions with a grain of salt. There's no way Daunno is 2nd behind Fontana. It's either Brightman or Ashmanskas. Santino will easily win, though, so it's moot.

by Anonymousreply 560June 4, 2019 11:14 PM

Also, The Prom winning Best Musical? Where are they getting their information? I'd love to see that happen but it seems like a distant third after Hadestown and Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 561June 4, 2019 11:16 PM

I don’t know, I’m sensing a surprise win for Ashmanskas, this being a nore significant Pride Month than usual this year.

by Anonymousreply 562June 4, 2019 11:17 PM

True, R561, though perhaps that will be the one big shocking win this year (if there's going to be one I mean).

by Anonymousreply 563June 4, 2019 11:19 PM

Brandon Uranowitz? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 564June 4, 2019 11:26 PM

[quote]She has always had more attention than Block.

It has nothing to do with her hair color. It might have to do with her luck in getting much better shows than SJB has had.

by Anonymousreply 565June 4, 2019 11:35 PM

Or her talent, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 566June 4, 2019 11:37 PM

Fans of THE PROM might be interested to know that Matthew Sklar will receive the "Frederick Loewe Award for Dramatic Composition," sponsored by the Dramatists Guild.

by Anonymousreply 567June 4, 2019 11:39 PM

Or her ability to smile without looking demented?

by Anonymousreply 568June 4, 2019 11:40 PM

I don’t even know what this means

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569June 4, 2019 11:51 PM

it's LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS starring Aspies

by Anonymousreply 570June 4, 2019 11:56 PM

I just read over at BWW that PBS is repeating its broadcast of Falsettos on Friday, June 7 as part of Pride Month.

by Anonymousreply 571June 5, 2019 12:47 AM

THE PROM does have a lot of momentum and goodwill (and Brooks too), particularly on social media, but I wonder if it that has trickled down to voters. It may be too late.

by Anonymousreply 572June 5, 2019 12:51 AM

[quote]I don’t know, I’m sensing a surprise win for Ashmanskas,

Your sensor is out of whack. It's Santino's, he's very popular, he got raves, and everyone who sees it loves him in it. And of course, all the prognosticators have Alex Brightman as number 2, not Brooks. Our Miss Brooks gets zip this year.

by Anonymousreply 573June 5, 2019 12:59 AM

[quote]And of course, all the prognosticators have Alex Brightman as number 2, not Brooks.

I've noticed this, too, but can't really figure out why. The reviews for "Beetlejuice" weren't exactly raves, plus there are the rumors that Brightman (unlike fellow nominee, Brooks) is said to be not particularly well-liked by his colleagues in the industry, so how is it that he sits in the #2 position behind Santino for the win? Is it based on box office? Or perhaps he's way more liked than people say he is?

by Anonymousreply 574June 5, 2019 2:52 AM

three potential award things voters might keep in mind when they vote for award (besides quality of performance and whether they personally like them or not):

1. Brooks is doing a gay role, really very well, having and a ball, and having seen the show tonight, really giving the audience a terrrific time (really thought the show was a lot fun)

2. Santino is playing a woman -- and he's straight. Ok, George Hearn and the "La Cage" guys have done that. It's been done.

3. Alex Brightman went full frontal on some tv series a while back -- might be different if he did full frontal in his show, but gay voters might think him kind of brave and cute, regardless of his performance in "Beetlejuice".

So a gay role, a (straight) guy playing a woman, and nudity (elsewhere but recently) -- I'd say in a gay pride year and to say fuck you to Trump (not that he cares), it's Brooks!

by Anonymousreply 575June 5, 2019 3:15 AM

1). Brooks has absolutely no chance. 2). O’Hara is actually an actress. Block can’t act, at least not very well...

by Anonymousreply 576June 5, 2019 3:59 AM

O’Hara can’t act at all. SJB is Meryl compared to her

by Anonymousreply 577June 5, 2019 4:05 AM

R575, you’ve become a real bore, hon. No one, but no one, cares about your one-man crusade to make sure Santino doesn’t win for a “trans” role. You will have zero effect on the Tony voters, so at this point, it’s just masturbation, posting to hear yourself talk.

by Anonymousreply 578June 5, 2019 4:08 AM

I guess I can kinda understand finding Jay Armstrong Johnson a touch grating (though, he really grew on me), but I can't imagine a finer Gabey than Tony Yazbeck's. He brought pathos to what could have strictly been a one dimensional cartoon (that gorgeous, heart-rendering performance of Lonely Town), danced with such power and grace, too. And, good lord, that body. And Clyde Alves was such a charmer as Ozzie. And when the three of them danced together it was, yes, with athleticism and precision, but they also managed to dance in unison without losing their individual characterization.

by Anonymousreply 579June 5, 2019 4:15 AM

You obviously didn’t see SJB in Meet Vera Stark, Shite sandwich. O’Hara is quite a skilled actress; that’s why she’s Bart’s pet.

by Anonymousreply 580June 5, 2019 4:29 AM

I'm with ya, R580, I don't understand DL's apparent dislike of O'Hara. I think she's a brilliant musical theatre ACTRESS. No, that doesn't mean she's perfect for every role. Honestly, she didn't do it for me in The King & I, but I found the entire production a bit bloodless. But I thought she offered fascinating, complex portrayals in so many other productions from South Pacific to Far From Heaven, Light In the Piazza, the Carousel concert...

by Anonymousreply 581June 5, 2019 4:36 AM

Is anyone else concerned that this may be the last national network broadcast of the Tonys since its presence lately has been due to the fact that sexual harasser Les Moonves loves Broadway and wanted to present "prestige shows"? The ratings lately have been borderline. Like :Louis B. Mayer would always produce at least one "prestige" picture a year that he knew might or night not would lose money? Like TWOZ in 1939, for example, or Pride and Prejudice in 1940 Whose feelings or rating considerations will be important at CBS now?

by Anonymousreply 582June 5, 2019 4:42 AM

R578 First time I weighed in on the matter, babe. Don't hurt yourself on the humble line out.

by Anonymousreply 583June 5, 2019 5:09 AM

Breaking News Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Tour has posted its closing notice.

by Anonymousreply 584June 5, 2019 5:53 AM

Fran and Barry showed up for Donna Marie Asbury’s final performance in Chicago after 20 years, and I must say, Fran looked good. She spoke at length and read a letter from Walter “Killer” Bobbie, and contrary to popular DL opinion, was totally together, even charming, and not at all ready for her fruit cup at the old folks’ home.

by Anonymousreply 585June 5, 2019 6:51 AM

[quote]r585 She spoke at length and read a letter from Walter “Killer” Bobbie

[italic]LOCK 'IM UP!

by Anonymousreply 586June 5, 2019 6:57 AM

^ Sorry for all the sloppy typos above. But is anyone else worried about the Tonys ending up on cable, PBS or just live streaming?

Then again, would that necessarily be such a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 587June 5, 2019 8:29 AM

Not really worried. The Tonys may not draw huge ratings, but it attracts high end advertisers, due to the viewer demographics.

by Anonymousreply 588June 5, 2019 10:21 AM

SJB really is a horrible actress. How does she work her pop-eyes into her performance as Cher? Whenever she thinks she needs a laugh, she bulges her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 589June 5, 2019 11:37 AM

I hope Jagged Little Pill finally gets Elizabeth Stanley some recognition and the level of fame of SJB and KO'H.

I think she's a far better actress than either of them. She was hilarious as Claire deLoon (or whatever that character's name is) in On the Town and her rendition of Some Other Time at the end of the show was beautifully heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 590June 5, 2019 11:47 AM

I thought Elizabeth Stanley was absolutely charmless in On The Town. I remember wondering how on earth she got the part.

by Anonymousreply 591June 5, 2019 11:52 AM

Oh yea? Well I saw Elizabeth Stanley in Jekyll and Hyde at Pittsburgh CLO. Stop being so jealous!

by Anonymousreply 592June 5, 2019 12:22 PM

Time to post the next thread, since search is sucking here

And JLB is Stenley's Next to Normal, if she plays it right, What do we know about the other lead women next season? Karen O for Moulin, and who else. Sutton for Music Man is still a year and half away.

by Anonymousreply 593June 5, 2019 12:40 PM

Thoroughly Modern Millie was about its press agent. He deserves that Tony Award.

by Anonymousreply 594June 5, 2019 1:06 PM

Here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595June 5, 2019 1:15 PM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 596June 5, 2019 2:25 PM

The "Bajour!" thing is as dated as your clothes, R596, and about as funny.

by Anonymousreply 597June 5, 2019 2:43 PM

Mrs. Uranowitz agrees.

by Anonymousreply 598June 5, 2019 2:47 PM

Millie’s press agent had a huge dick. Married now so the dick has been tied down, but huge nevertheless.

by Anonymousreply 599June 5, 2019 2:59 PM

Whoop-Up!

by Anonymousreply 600June 5, 2019 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!