Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Karen Carpenter looking a bit too thin

People say she was anorexic, but I always thought she looked fine, until this. Generally, a woman can’t be too thin, but perhaps this is an exception.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393July 18, 2019 2:44 AM

A new hairdo just does wonders!

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2019 5:48 AM

Who’s the tubby?

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2019 5:50 AM

You're a piece of shit Op.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2019 6:24 AM

Her hair is horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2019 6:31 AM

OP = the fat frau from the Chrissy Metz thread

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2019 6:32 AM

Don't be provincial, OP. All she needs is a session with our stylist, and she's finally ready for a Vogue cover.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2019 8:40 AM

^Anna Wintour at r6

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2019 8:41 AM

Really sad. I really loved her voice..

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2019 11:54 AM

The Lady Tremaine look was not a good choice for her.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2019 12:19 PM

I think her hair looks like that because of malnutrition, not style choice.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2019 12:32 PM

She says she’s newly married in the interview - what was her husband doing watching her like that? Didn’t he intervene?

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2019 1:22 PM

Fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2019 1:26 PM

Reshooting this interview because they would not talk about the "weight loss"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2019 1:45 PM

How sad. I also think that husband was up to no good - just wanted her money.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2019 2:05 PM

She looked like a freaky alien.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2019 2:10 PM

There’s a mother who did her job right.

by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2019 2:24 PM

Karen looked like a concentration camp victim in both of those videos. She was before my time, but did people know she was anorexic during her lifetime or was that not common knowledge until after she died?

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2019 2:26 PM

r17, if you watch the full clip of the second video, the interviewer clearly states the rumors that she has the "slimming disease" so it was definitely out there.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2019 2:36 PM

Knowledge of anorexia really blew up because of her death. I was in my early teens when she died, and I remember being astonished there were people purposely starving themselves to death.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2019 2:39 PM

[quote] Generally, a woman can’t be too thin

You're fucking nuts.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2019 2:39 PM

Fricking obese fraus and fags must be seething with envy. Jealous much, bitches?

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2019 3:33 PM

Did she die from anorexia? I'm watching the 2nd clip and she totally denies have anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2019 3:57 PM

She did, R22.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2019 3:59 PM

After retiring early, my Dad took a job at a local college where an anorexic I knew from high school would barf in the sanitary napkin disposal box, so he told me to yell at her.

This was a few years before Karen died.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2019 4:00 PM

OP sounds like an ass. A WOMAN can't be too thin? You're shallow and uninformed.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2019 4:03 PM

Amateur!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2019 4:03 PM

[quote]You're fucking nuts.

I am not! Just look at how obese women are today. A woman should be petite and demure, not a fat, lumbering elephant waddling to its next feeding.

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2019 4:03 PM

[quote]After retiring early, my Dad took a job at a local college where an anorexic I knew from high school would barf in the sanitary napkin disposal box, so he told me to yell at her.

Sounds like bulimia to me.

But that’s for all the extraneous info. Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2019 4:14 PM

Maybe I'm missing something r28, but why wouldn't she just barf in the, you know, toilet?

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2019 4:17 PM

Celine is the new Karen Carpenter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2019 4:17 PM

Is she on the watermelon diet r30?

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2019 4:20 PM

OMG r30.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2019 4:21 PM

That's what Dad wanted to know, r29.

I'm not a shrink, but my sister is, and she said it was part of a shame response.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2019 4:24 PM

R22 Actually it was bulimia that killed her. She was abusing ipecac in the final months of her life to induce vomiting and developed cardiac toxicity from that. Ipecac used to be available over the counter but was eventually banned because bulimics were abusing it and it was killing them.

Karen was actually at a near normal weight at her death (according to her autopsy.)

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2019 4:27 PM

[quote] Generally, a woman can’t be too thin...

Ugh, OP. Another impressionable fool influenced by the misogynistic and pretentious fashion industry. So, they have you convinced that anything above a size 2 is fat, right? And that a basic cotton t -shirt with their label on it should cost $500.

There’s nothing glamorous or aspirational about an anorexic with a mental illness or a starving model who wears a size 0. You act like women fall into one of 2 categories: acceptably thin or Chrissy Metz. Do you think healthy women like Cindy Crawford and Bar Refaeli are fat, too?

Karen was slowly dying in that video.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2019 4:29 PM

Really, OP? A woman can't be too thin?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2019 4:32 PM

Geez -- Celine...

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2019 4:37 PM

Celine, put down the crack pipe!

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2019 4:55 PM

Karen and her brother had the habit of fibbing in interviews. She had been treated for anorexia several times in hospitals at that point. They also lied about Richard s quaalude problem. They had a squeaky clean image to live up to.

Karen s mother was a monster and her brother wasnt much better. Karen had the voice. RIchard had musical genius but without Karen it would have never gone any where. Karen should have taken out a restarining order on both her brother and mother and gone out on her own and she would probably still be with us today.

The husband was a noer do well who lied about being wealthy before marriage and was basically looking for a mealticket. When he and Karen split up he said he was tired of living with a bag of bones, so you know he didnt give a shit about her. Sad life for Karen.

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2019 5:21 PM

Agnes Carpenter was a nightmare. She openly favored Richard and was very critical of Karen for no particular reason. She really fucked Karen up good.

by Anonymousreply 40May 18, 2019 5:27 PM

Husband was banned from talking about Karen in divorce settlement

by Anonymousreply 41May 18, 2019 5:57 PM

I prefer fat people to this. Fat is unattractive, and the 500lbs+ people are disgusting to look at, but seeing these skeletal people not only disgusts me, it scares me on a visceral level.

by Anonymousreply 42May 18, 2019 7:50 PM

Was Lunden advised not to bring up Karen's illness? It's surreal seeing them discuss banal subjects when Karen was dying in front of Joan's eyes.

by Anonymousreply 43May 18, 2019 8:26 PM

Well, when I say that women can never be too thin, I obviously don’t mean this. But women of today go to the opposite extreme. Combined with their lack of interest in proper foundation garments and feminine hygiene, it makes them very unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2019 8:44 PM

Was Tom Burris, her husband, gay? He looks like he smelled cookies to me. N

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 18, 2019 8:50 PM

The whole Carpenter family was so weird. Richard has to be Aspergers because he's just so odd and weird in every interview.

Either he or the father molested Karen. It's just so painstakingly obvious.

by Anonymousreply 46May 18, 2019 8:55 PM

Maybe she was pregnant? It's only natural to lose a few pounds during the first months.

by Anonymousreply 47May 18, 2019 9:00 PM

Yes, by all accounts Karen's mother was a cold unloving and withholding woman. That said, anorexics are notoriously controlling and difficult to treat. My mother is a physiatrist and it is the one patient profile she will not take on. They are very difficult to help, never tell the truth and think they are manipulating or gaining power over others by NOT eating. It is both a mental illness and a destructive behavior compulsive behavior. Anorexics are extremely childish people, but not at all helpless.

You can see Karen's anger flash in so many of her interviews. The constant eyes rolls, sighs and the staring down of even innocuous questions. Yes she was sick and her brother was BEYOND weird, but she was playing her own game with people and lost. She died the year I was born (I think). She had some loving friendships with a few women in the industry, but it's not like they hung out and had a normal life. Anorexia controls your life unless you get past it for years. Unlike drug users and hard core alcoholics people with eating disorders don't even remain convinced that they are doing anything self destructive by starving or purging. So yes, she had treatment. Because when she no longer could reliably perform, her "loving" family finally noticed. I don't think Karen was ready to get better. She would have had to quit the industry and distance herself from the family. Anorexics are pains in the ass and very volatile to be around. They need long term in house treatment that THEY decide to enter. Not eating is the easiest thing to get away with in the world, but it gets them so much attention.

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2019 9:23 PM

*psychiatrist

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2019 9:24 PM

R48 Agree but that's part of why I always assumed she was molested. Same for very fat women - it can be a matter of control (with the added layer that a fat woman hopes that the weight stops the assaults).

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2019 9:26 PM

Yes of course R50. There is obvious trauma involved. But the treatment becomes all about the behavior and the calories. Doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2019 9:31 PM

Karen was arguably a bit too thin in life, and she certainly hasn't put on any weight in the last 35 years. You know, there must be a moment, about a week after death, when all those women finally achieve the figure they desire. Skeleton thin with plastic bumps. The flesh will rot away, but the bumps will still be there. Little coffins full of bones and bumps.

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2019 9:37 PM

I think she was tremendous! What a hottie!

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2019 9:57 PM

She looks like Leona Helmsley.

That's a shame.

Karen was the Queen of Lean.

by Anonymousreply 54May 18, 2019 10:02 PM

R52 Have had that discussion w/others before, and am always reminded of this Onion piece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 18, 2019 10:03 PM

Completely fake marriage. And Richard is fucking psycho.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2019 1:47 AM

One of her last live performances. Technical difficulties, Karen looking more gaunt than ever, and her typically awkward stage presence. As much as I love her voice, they’d never make it today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2019 1:49 AM

[quote]You know, there must be a moment, about a week after death, when all those women finally achieve the figure they desire.

I don’t think so. I think they would be horrified by how thick their bones were.

by Anonymousreply 58May 19, 2019 1:57 AM

She had a huge crush on Olivia Newton John. I wonder why she thought she looked good that way. She can’t even complete her thoughts she is so nutrient starved.

by Anonymousreply 59May 19, 2019 2:01 AM

A photo of Karen in that yellow outfit from r57's link was used on the cover of People magazine when Karen died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 19, 2019 2:01 AM

Technical difficulties? R57. She's lip synching. Their career was just about over, they hadn't had a hit in a long time and their music was terrible. Karen grew snarkier every day, obvious again in Japan. She really couldn't hide how much she HATED her life.

by Anonymousreply 61May 19, 2019 2:02 AM

Karen was my all-time favorite singer. She had that instantly recognizable voice that you knew from note 1. Although mostly remembered for love songs, my favorites were the sad tunes , like Superstar and Goodbye To Love.

by Anonymousreply 62May 19, 2019 2:07 AM

I think if Karen had been able to recover from anorexia and lived, the Carpenters could've had a respectable resurgence on the Adult Contemporary charts in the late 80s/early 90s. AC was a popular market at that time, and it gave new life to the careers of a number of aging Boomer acts such as Bette Midler, Rod Stewart and Natalie Cole, among others.

by Anonymousreply 63May 19, 2019 2:21 AM

32???? She looked close to 50 when she died. That’s terrible.

by Anonymousreply 64May 19, 2019 2:26 AM

The myth that she had recovered her weight and was doing better at the time of her death, but shucks then her heart gave out, is a myth. She did gain a lot of weight fast from being force fed in hospital but she lost it just as fast. Her last public appearance was at a Grammy 25th anniversary event, one month before her death. She may have been feeling hopeful because she was photographed with a lot of people that night and was looking forward to getting back to recording. But she wasn't cured. Her disease was still active and she was extremely thin.

With Emmylou Harris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 19, 2019 2:47 AM

R65 She was 5’4” and 108 pounds at her death. The cause of death was emetine cardiotoxicity. Emetine is also known as ipecac. She had been abusing ipecac to induce vomiting and its toxic effects on the heart is what killed her. She was eating enough to maintain a relatively normal (thin but not emaciated) weight but throwing (purging) up in secret, using ipecac.

by Anonymousreply 66May 19, 2019 3:17 AM

In the photo at R65, she doesn't look quite like the talking skeleton she did in the Joan Lunden interview from ‘81, but she does look way too thin. If she was 108 in R65’s photo, she must’ve weighed under 100 lbs in that Joan Lunden interview. That’s frightening.

by Anonymousreply 67May 19, 2019 4:19 AM

Richard was kinda hot in that R56 . Maybe a psycho . But even with 70s styling, he was a cutie. Wonder what his issues were - or became.

by Anonymousreply 68May 19, 2019 4:21 AM

The pic with Emmylou Harris is from the 70s, not from just before she died.

What was so tragic is that Karen had no idea that ipecac damages the heart muscle with repeated use. She didn't know what ipecac was really doing to her. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 69May 19, 2019 5:29 AM

People who saw Karen on tv back then, like in that Joan Lunden interview, must've wondered what the hell was going on with her. She looked very ill.

by Anonymousreply 70May 19, 2019 5:30 AM

My bad. Karen's face looked human with Emmylou so it had to be earlier. Here she is at the 83 Grammy event. She looks like a terminally ill 50 year old who dresses bad. Where's the lie? Don't make her out to be such a victim. Anorexics are attention seekers committing elaborate prolonged suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 19, 2019 5:58 AM

Hell no, one of the greatest singer's of all time won't lip synch with you. But the soulless Karen Carpenter sings not one live note in this duet. Sixty something year old ELLA does it all LIVE, sitting down, resting her microphone. Imagine dueting with a recording of the person you're singing with in front on an audience? Carpenters were so concerned with sounding a certain way and not eating that they just ignored emotion and interpretation during performance. Karen never "sang" with Ella Fitzgerald. What a loss and a disgrace for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 19, 2019 6:29 AM

[quote]Don't make her out to be such a victim. Anorexics are attention seekers committing elaborate prolonged suicide.

What is your problem? They’re committing suicide, but they’re not a “victim”? The fact that somebody’s behavior is unpleasant/annoying/messy/violent is totally irrelevant to the question of whether they’re sick or not, or how sick they are.

by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2019 6:39 AM

Karen never got over her solo album being shelved. Also her husband didn’t tell her that he had a vasectomy before they got married. Richard married his first cousin, who wasn’t a blood relation as she was adopted, but it upset and freaked Karen out.

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2019 6:47 AM

Karen and Ella are wonderful in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 75May 19, 2019 11:41 AM

I always thought she was much, much older

by Anonymousreply 76May 19, 2019 12:15 PM

WTF with Celine?

by Anonymousreply 77May 19, 2019 1:01 PM

If I remember correctly from the many stories about Karen's death, it wasn't so much that she was too thin at the time of her death....in addition to the toxicity issues others mentioned, she was actually gaining some weight, but because it happened relatively quickly, her heart had a negative reaction.

Weight gain or loss even in a healthy person should only be a few pounds a week. If you are very heavy you may register something between 5-10 pounds in a week if you lost significant water weight. But in terms of actual body mass, it's too much too soon, on or off.

by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2019 1:42 PM

R72 I'm not surprised. Karen, like Dusty Springfield, was fantastic but had an inferiority complex when compared to others.

And it IS Ella fucking Fitzgerald.

by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2019 1:43 PM

One of Karen's friends was interviewed on one of the Carpenters documentaries, and she was alarmed that Karen was gaining 10lbs. a week when she was being fed intravenously in the hospital. The friend knew that it was horrible for the heart to gain that much weight at once.

by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2019 1:43 PM

So eldergays, what was the consensus at the time? Watching those interviews in real time? Did the public know?

by Anonymousreply 81May 19, 2019 1:45 PM

She most likely thought she still looked fat.

by Anonymousreply 82May 19, 2019 1:52 PM

She looked like a concentration camp survivor, poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 83May 19, 2019 1:57 PM

So her ultimate cause of death was a heart attack?

by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2019 1:57 PM

Caridac arrest due to emetine (ipecac) poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2019 2:19 PM

She seems so lesbian to me.

by Anonymousreply 86May 19, 2019 2:22 PM

She was a vindictive bitch.

by Anonymousreply 87May 19, 2019 2:23 PM

Vindictive about what? Her relationship with food?

by Anonymousreply 88May 19, 2019 2:29 PM

She was very cruel to her mother.

by Anonymousreply 89May 19, 2019 2:31 PM

R81

We lived about three houses down from them in Newport Beach. He was friendly w/the neighbors, she rarely left the house. People didn't know that much about anorexia at the time - but in the early '80s in So Cal - they knew a lot about drugs - so the common opinion in the neighborhood was a very bad coke habit

by Anonymousreply 90May 19, 2019 2:31 PM

Did people think Richard was weird and creepy back in the day? Looking at old archive footage of him, to modern eyes he seems like someone who would've had bodies in his crawlspace and nobody would be terribly shocked by that.

by Anonymousreply 91May 19, 2019 2:32 PM

[quote]She was very cruel to her mother.

No, it was the opposite. Karen's mother was an overly critical bitch to Karen.

by Anonymousreply 92May 19, 2019 2:33 PM

Karen's mother used to beat her regularly.

by Anonymousreply 93May 19, 2019 2:36 PM

I can imagine none of them took any responsibility for contributing to her problems. They all seem like the types who would never admit they could be at fault.

by Anonymousreply 94May 19, 2019 2:38 PM

Karen was ugly and talentless.

by Anonymousreply 95May 19, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote] Karen was ugly and talentless.

Kindred spirits, eh, R95? ;)

by Anonymousreply 96May 19, 2019 3:18 PM

She stank of vomit because she threw up the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 97May 19, 2019 3:21 PM

Dearly Departed Tours in LA: CarpenTOUR to visit the Carpenter’s family home and LA haunts, including favorite restaurants, recording studios and performing spots.

A portion of proceeds will be donated to the National Eating Disorders Association.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 19, 2019 3:27 PM

Many people look at my unattractive daughter and think Karen was the real mother.

by Anonymousreply 99May 19, 2019 3:28 PM

Karen was also using a medicine for underactive thyroid, which was actually the first punch in damaging her heart, the ipecac delivering the final blow. The idea behind the thyroid med was to increase her metabolism, thereby causing weight loss. Unfortunately, it also increased her heart rate which, with a heart damaged by the ipecac, proved fatal. Poor woman had no idea what she was doing to herself; she just wanted to lose weight. Feeling unloved and unwanted yet controlled and manipulated by her raging dragon cunt of a mother and having no luck in finding someone to love her and take her away from the family, she felt her perceived "fatness" was why no one loved her. She had a sweet personality, far from the cunt the bitches of DL make her out to be. I believe if she was a lesbian, it was fear of the mother and her "Everything's fine. We're a nice, normal all American family!" conservative ideals, which didn't allow for behavioral issues, drug use, and homosexuality, caused Karen to not live a happy, healthy, fulfilled life.

As someone mentioned above, it was all swept under the rug during Karen's lifetime and still continues to be, even thirty-six years later. The truth will probably never be told. It makes you wonder what would be Richard's reaction if one of his children or grandchildren came out of the closet? Would old Agnes's voice whisper in his ear as she did in life, or would he actually remember what he and his mother did to Karen and allow his offspring to be happy?

by Anonymousreply 100May 19, 2019 3:31 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 19, 2019 3:34 PM

In 1984, Richard Carpenter married his adopted cousin, Mary Rudolph. They have 5 kids and named their oldest daughter Kristi Lynn, the name Karen has picked out for her daughter.

In the late 1970s, Richard suffered from insomnia, panic attacks, depression, and became addicted to Quaaludes. Richard claims his mother gave him his first pill. Richard is now age 72.

by Anonymousreply 102May 19, 2019 3:41 PM

All these years later, some interesting comments on mother Agnes Reuwer Tatum Carpenter's "Find A Grave" website:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 19, 2019 3:46 PM

So many make references to incest and molestation. I don't believe Karen was sexually abused, just emotionally and verbally. If there was any incest going on, it was between Agnes and Richard. Her obsession with him and making him the golden child was just creepy. The father was just feckless.

by Anonymousreply 104May 19, 2019 3:47 PM

R74 Interesting that Karen was upset about her husband having a vasectomy. How could she have weighed enough to get pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 105May 19, 2019 4:16 PM

"My mother is a physiatrist"

Oh, dear..

by Anonymousreply 106May 19, 2019 4:19 PM

Karen looked like a freak.

by Anonymousreply 107May 19, 2019 4:28 PM

Karen was delusional about getting pregnant. Of course that was impossible due to the physical condition she was in, but she just ignored it.

by Anonymousreply 108May 19, 2019 4:34 PM

"... and her typically awkward stage presence."

Before Madonna, unless you were a Vegas-style performer like Lola Falana, Tina Turner or Ann-Margret, female singers never moved much onstage.

It was shows like Solid Gold that made people think, "Why not have the singers move, too?".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 19, 2019 4:46 PM

R95= Agnes Carpenter

by Anonymousreply 110May 19, 2019 4:50 PM

Back in the 70s/ early 80s, most singers didn't have moves when they performed. Anne Murray being the notable exception as evidenced in this clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 19, 2019 4:52 PM

She looked in-bred.

by Anonymousreply 112May 19, 2019 4:55 PM

Yes, Madonna invented dancing while singing!

by Anonymousreply 113May 19, 2019 4:58 PM

Loved Catherine's Rita Coolidge!

by Anonymousreply 114May 19, 2019 5:03 PM

[quote]If there was any incest going on, it was between Agnes and Richard. Her obsession with him and making him the golden child was just creepy.

Wasn't he a piano prodigy growing up? I though that was the reason they cherished him so much, because he was supposedly "the gifted one".

People are also forgetting that a lot of family dynamics in a pre-feminism age did tend to place more emphasis on the male offspring than the females. Females were supposed to be more subservient with no big ambitions other than to settle down and start a family after schooling.

It's clear both Carpenter kids had issues.

by Anonymousreply 115May 19, 2019 5:22 PM

Both Karen and Richard looked good on the cover of their 1975 album “Horizon” (it was their best album too).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 19, 2019 5:33 PM

It wouldn’t have killed her to eat a sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 117May 19, 2019 6:07 PM

Preview of Little Girl Blue:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 19, 2019 6:35 PM

Imagine being driven to induce violent nausea and retching on yourself, repeatedly. What an awful existence.

by Anonymousreply 119May 19, 2019 6:51 PM

Karen Carpenter was lesbian or bi, and had a long term relationship with another pop star who is still alive and closeted. I know an ex-lover of the living pop star well and this was conveyed to me by her. As others have said, the Carpenter family were extremely uptight right wingers. Karen was tortured by her inability to be authentic. Yes, the marriages were a sham, or perhaps she was just trying to be "normal". The source of Whitney Houston's self-destruction was similar. I think both Karen Carpenter and Whitney Houston had the potential to be much better than they were. Their material, in my opinion, was mediocre and seemed to reflect the boxes they were forced into. I have no clue what's up with Celine, but someone who gives a damn needs to intervene. There are a lot of family members and hangers on who are financially dependent on her and she needs to be alive and semi-healthy if they expect to continue to exploit her.

by Anonymousreply 120May 19, 2019 7:04 PM

R120

Well, the popular rumor has always been your friend is ONJ....

by Anonymousreply 121May 19, 2019 7:13 PM

R115, that family dynamic of valuing male offspring more than girls continues in some families to this day.

Coworker of mine has a young son and daughter. Weekends and evenings are focused on the 8-year-old boy’s activities (little league, swimming, gymnastics, even coding classes for tots!). Never hear a single word from daddy about the girl other than “her teacher told us she acts out. I hope she doesn’t grow up to be a bitch.” Uhh, maybe she does that because the family is structured around the little lord of the manor?

Anorexia is an adult version of acting out. I’m sure when Karen emerged as the superior talent in the family, they resented her overshadowing Richard’s accomplishments. And went out of their way to ignore her contributions or take her down a few pegs. Anorexia was Karen’s way of saying “fuck you.” Dysfunctional families are like that.

by Anonymousreply 122May 19, 2019 7:22 PM

R115 Yes he was. But as Karen's talents (drummer, bassist, and vocalist) emerged because she was tagging along with Richard, Agnes vindictively turned on Karen. HE was supposed to be the star, not Karen. There seemed to be jealousy both for Richard and for Agnes herself. Some do not know music was in their blood. There was an ancestor on the Carpenter side who sang in music halls and had quite a career. She apparently had a range similar to Karen's and they looked eerily similar.

The Carpenters appeared on "This is Your Life" early in their career. It's on DVD paired with the Shirley Jones episode, for all us music loving gays. Karen is wonderful during most of the show, happy, smiling, jovial,and greeting everyone with a hug. Then at the end, they bring out the parents. Karen's smile fades,her head lowers, and her whole demeanor changes to a more subdued, almost subservient in nature. Agnes carried out Karen's old pitcher's mitt and ball and made some comment about how much Karen loved to play. Karen replies, "That didn't mean I liked to play that much. I just liked throwing things at people."

R120 knows what she's talking about.

I agree with R122 . If Karen had realized that old bitch was never going to love and approve of her no matter what she did, she could have just said "Fuck off" and lived her life for herself, probably still be with us and had a long solo career. But she was trained to feel guilty for doing anything for herself. Richard even accused her of stealing the Carpenters sound for her solo album. Without her, there was no Carpenters sound! When Karen wanted to move out of the house she shared with Richard, she couldn't even face Agnes to tell her; she asked their personal assistant to do it. All Hell broke loose. Agnes screamed at both of them and the assistant was afraid of losing her job. She didn't, but the next time Karen came over, Agnes acted as if nothing happened, yet Karen was noticeably sheepish and quiet, walking behind her mother. When she and the assistant made eye contact, Karen smiled sadly and shrugged, as if to say, "Well, we tried."

The reason Karen was upset about her husband's vasectomy was she wanted children so very badly. She loved kids. As someone pointed out up thread,having a child in her physical condition was out of the question, not to mention the malnourishment of her body fouled up her menstrual cycle and it's possible she may not have even been able to conceive anyway. Karen's last public performance was actually solo. She was friends with a woman who was an elementary school teacher and Karen accompanied her to class. It was Christmastime, and Karen was dressed accordingly. She talked with the kids and they sang carols together. This was two months before her death.

I keep thinking with things the way they are today, Karen might have a partner now and they could adopt a child or two.

by Anonymousreply 123May 19, 2019 8:19 PM

She looks like Frieda Clayton.

by Anonymousreply 124May 19, 2019 8:29 PM

^^Claxton.

by Anonymousreply 125May 19, 2019 8:31 PM

I wonder why she turned to Ipecac? She seemed successful with starvation.

by Anonymousreply 126May 19, 2019 8:39 PM

Is there a better quality version of Superstar, the Todd Haynes classic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 19, 2019 8:48 PM

R126 It seems like she kind of morphed from anorexia (starving herself) towards bulimia (purging) in her final months. She thought she was fooling everyone around her that she was ‘cured’ (because she was eating and maintaining a more normal weight) but she was secretly bulimic.

by Anonymousreply 128May 19, 2019 9:45 PM

[quote] Yes, Madonna invented dancing while lip-synching!

by Anonymousreply 129May 19, 2019 9:55 PM

I know her career tailed off, but she always could have found work as a scarecrow.

by Anonymousreply 130May 19, 2019 9:57 PM

It sounds like Agnes was a horrible mother, but she's not necessarily to blame for Karen's developing this disorder. Some girls with great parents and good lives also develop this disorder. I think society is more to blame for basing women's values on their looks. I thought Karen was adorable but in those days, the blond look was popular.

by Anonymousreply 131May 19, 2019 11:00 PM

All this talk about Carpenter NOT knowing that forced weight gain, rapid weight loss, thyroid stimulation and continual puking is hard on your heart is hilarious. She had been in treatment for her eating disorder and under psychiatric care for years. She knew all about her body and what she risking. Bitch wanted her disease back and to continue to say fuck you to those around her. Killed her. She wasn't planning on going then, but that's where it gets ya.

As Anne Sexton said,

But suicides have a special language.

Like carpenters they want to know which tools.

They never ask why build.

Anorexics choose the most elaborate form of suicide possible, one that gets them the most attention for the longest period of time. Once Karen starting puking for pounds her voice would have been gone in no time anyway.

She was a pretty classic case, from a classic case family.

by Anonymousreply 132May 19, 2019 11:19 PM

R120 your post is pointless without names.

by Anonymousreply 133May 19, 2019 11:29 PM

[R133] Nice try.

by Anonymousreply 134May 19, 2019 11:57 PM

Fuck you, and your manual brackets r134

by Anonymousreply 135May 20, 2019 12:05 AM

Here's the "This Is Your Life" episode R123 mentioned, for anyone curious.

I've never been able to fully enjoy the music of The Carpenters due to everything surrounding them (creepy family, Karen's illness, etc.), but I do appreciate a handful of songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136May 20, 2019 12:18 AM

Is she next?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137May 20, 2019 12:30 AM

Why does Barbara Bush Jr. insist on wearing dresses that accentuate her poor bony nonexistent little chest?

by Anonymousreply 138May 20, 2019 12:33 AM

WW for r124 and the most DataLounge comment on this topic possible. I needed that!

by Anonymousreply 139May 20, 2019 12:52 AM

OP, you blithering ASSHOLE, why do women's bodies obsess you so much? Why are you so offended by fat females if yo're a homo?

Of course I-WE know that you're tying to be funny here .. it WON'T WORK - IT Doesn't WORK. GO HOME.

by Anonymousreply 140May 20, 2019 12:53 AM

No the fact that nobody finds Kia Gerber's body absolutely horrid is amazing. She keeps getting hired for modeling campaigns by the biggest designers encouraging that skeleton look of hers

by Anonymousreply 141May 20, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote] As Anne Sexton said,

Live or die, but don't poison everything!

by Anonymousreply 142May 20, 2019 1:29 AM

Those comments on the Find A Grave profile of the mother are hilarious! She must have been a bitch on wheels

by Anonymousreply 143May 20, 2019 1:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 20, 2019 1:32 AM

From R144

Levenkron (the therapist) suggested to the family that Karen was in need of a more tactile, demonstrative kind of love. Karen cried uncontrollably during the meeting. She told them how sorry she was for having put them in a situation where they felt a need to defend her upbringing, and she went so far as to apologise for ruining their lives. "I think Karen really needs to hear that you love her," Levenkron told the family.

"Well, of course I love you," Richard told her unreservedly.

"Agnes?" The therapist tapped the mother's shoe with his own.

Rather than address her daughter, Agnes explained how she preferred to be called Mrs Carpenter. "Well, I'm from the north," she continued. "And we just don't do things that way."

WHAT A FUCKING CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 145May 20, 2019 1:38 AM

OP, why are you so concerned about fat women but not fat men?

by Anonymousreply 146May 20, 2019 1:43 AM

I must be retarded because I can't find the Findagrave comments. Can somebody help?

by Anonymousreply 147May 20, 2019 1:47 AM

Karen's Find A Grave profile just has the same four queens posting on it over and over

by Anonymousreply 148May 20, 2019 1:50 AM

r147 Click on the flowers being "left". It took me a while too.

by Anonymousreply 149May 20, 2019 1:56 AM

[quote]OP, why are you so concerned about fat women but not fat men?

Because they’re different. A woman should be petite, demure. Feminine. A fat, lumbering hoss of a woman isn’t very feminine.

In my day, women were so beautiful and well put-together that they could sometimes lure a homosexual man over the line into a heterosexual affair! But that is not true of the women of today, who are mostly amazons.

No, women of today prefer to be fat, loud, stinky harpies taking out their massive breasts and waving them around in public breastfeeding sessions. In my day, only the poor and ethnic breastfed. But now women insist on going native with their loose breasts and blubber hanging out. And zero feminine hygiene. It’s truly disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 150May 20, 2019 2:03 AM

Wow R136 - that video is a perfect summary. The mother talks past Karen to Richard - deliberately ignoring Karen. The throwing out that baseball glove. And the father is Aspergers - the monotone and car obsession. A reminder that we really are screwed by our parents. Feel lucky if you had halfway decent parents. And be grateful for birth control and abortion so that people who shouldn’t and / or don’t want to be parents are not.

by Anonymousreply 151May 20, 2019 2:06 AM

This Karen lady does look thin, I hope she's okay.

by Anonymousreply 152May 20, 2019 2:20 AM

She has back rolls.

by Anonymousreply 153May 20, 2019 2:23 AM

She could use a ham sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 154May 20, 2019 2:30 AM

Now we know why birds suddenly appear every time she was near...they were vultures.

by Anonymousreply 155May 20, 2019 2:34 AM

She's fine and sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 156May 20, 2019 4:03 AM

"In my day, women were so beautiful and well put-together that they could sometimes lure a homosexual man over the line into a heterosexual affair!"

In my day? You sound like a 90-year-old Republican homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 157May 20, 2019 4:06 AM

Oh, OP is the poster who keeps bringing up "foundation garments." What kind of man goes on about "foundation garments"? No man anyone would ever want to fuck, that's who!

by Anonymousreply 158May 20, 2019 4:40 AM

R158 probably has never worn any foundation garments and doesn’t bathe or douche or shave her legs!

by Anonymousreply 159May 20, 2019 6:08 AM

I LOLed at R155

by Anonymousreply 160May 20, 2019 6:24 AM

OP must be in a rest home, and suffering from dementia- poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 161May 20, 2019 6:24 AM

R159: no actual man ever uses a term like "foundation garments"

by Anonymousreply 162May 20, 2019 8:04 AM

She needed to be away from her Uber-creepy family.

Why was she living with her brother??

by Anonymousreply 163May 20, 2019 11:32 AM

Karen didn't move out of the family home until she was in her mid-20s, even though she'd had tons of money for years by then.

by Anonymousreply 164May 20, 2019 11:54 AM

She did move in with a boyfriend but Agnes had a meltdown and Karen came back home.

by Anonymousreply 165May 20, 2019 12:01 PM

WHY didn't Karen tell Agnes to fuck off? Karen had more than enough money to live independently.

I've read that when Karen bought her condo in Century City - when she was around 30 years old - Agnes had a big meltdown. She didn't like Karen living so "far away" from their hometown of Downey, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 166May 20, 2019 12:13 PM

A lot of the docs make it seem like many of her issues were triggered when she was forced from behind the drums.

by Anonymousreply 167May 20, 2019 1:18 PM

[quote] A lot of the docs make it seem like many of her issues were triggered when she was forced from behind

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 168May 20, 2019 1:22 PM

r117

Yes

by Anonymousreply 169May 20, 2019 1:32 PM

Agnes was a true god damn cunt! I hope she’s burning in hell.

by Anonymousreply 170May 20, 2019 1:43 PM

Eat a cookie, Karen. Really, it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 171May 20, 2019 2:52 PM

R120 Celine gets really defensive about her gaunt appearance too. She says things like "if you don't like it, don't look." People are looking and commenting because she looks ill.

by Anonymousreply 172May 20, 2019 3:08 PM

Haven't those rumors been out there about Celine for years?

by Anonymousreply 173May 20, 2019 3:16 PM

Celine is getting thinner by the minute. She looked 100 at the Met Gala.

by Anonymousreply 174May 20, 2019 3:18 PM

If I were Karen, I’d kill myself through anorexia too to get away from her bitch of a mother.

by Anonymousreply 175May 20, 2019 3:19 PM

[quote]no actual man ever uses a term like "foundation garments"

Well, what term do “actual men” use, pray tell?

by Anonymousreply 176May 20, 2019 3:28 PM

Bra and panties.

by Anonymousreply 177May 20, 2019 3:32 PM

"probably has never worn any foundation garments and doesn’t bathe or douche or shave her legs!"

I'm guessing you're a trans 90-year-old, what normal gay men is that concerned with what women look like? Shouldn't you be more concerned with what MEN look like?

by Anonymousreply 178May 20, 2019 3:44 PM

I think the last time I heard foundation garments was when I watched The Women on TMC.

by Anonymousreply 179May 20, 2019 4:03 PM

“Foundation garments” is something my great-grandmother might have said.

by Anonymousreply 180May 20, 2019 4:21 PM

[quote]Bra and panties.

Those are not the only foundation garments a woman should be wearing. They are the bare minimum, and most women don’t even bother with those!

by Anonymousreply 181May 20, 2019 4:21 PM

^ Trans or Transvestite?

by Anonymousreply 182May 20, 2019 6:10 PM

Karen looked a lot like Skeletor.

by Anonymousreply 183May 20, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote] “Foundation garments” is something my great-grandmother might have said.

MY grandmother (born in 1905) used the term and she's about the only person I've heard say it non-jokingly. My guess is OP is the same deranged queen who likes to post about his bitchy sister, whorish niece, and sainted boozehound parents.

by Anonymousreply 184May 20, 2019 8:27 PM

Is OP a taxidermist?

by Anonymousreply 185May 20, 2019 9:03 PM

My parents were NOT “boozehounds.”

I am very sorry that drag queens are the only ones who care about foundation garments anymore. You can make fun of me all you want, but it doesn’t change the facts.

by Anonymousreply 186May 20, 2019 9:08 PM

EXCUSE ME! THIS THREAD IS *****SO***** NOT ABOUT YOU!

Please keep the focus on my rotting corpse, where it belongs!

by Anonymousreply 187May 20, 2019 9:09 PM

Do you also go on about how women should wear "hats and gloves" when leaving the house, OP?

by Anonymousreply 188May 20, 2019 9:10 PM

What is OP's position on douching and feminine hygiene? Good foundation garments are expensive and could be soiled if a lady's peach isn't polished.

by Anonymousreply 189May 20, 2019 9:52 PM

I can't find the fnd-a-grave snark either. I have clicked on flowers etc., and hardly anything there.

There used to be stores in manhattan as recently as 1990, in which foundation garments were the only things they carried!

by Anonymousreply 190May 20, 2019 9:59 PM

1990 ain't recently bitch. I was 7.

by Anonymousreply 191May 20, 2019 10:14 PM

It's all relative, R191!

by Anonymousreply 192May 20, 2019 10:25 PM

Olivia and Karen were not a couple.

People have posted some real interesting gossip on ONJ here over the years that's far better than this tired trope.

by Anonymousreply 193May 20, 2019 10:33 PM

Foundation Garment=Girdle=Spanx

by Anonymousreply 194May 20, 2019 11:03 PM

[166] She screamed at her, calling her a traitor.

by Anonymousreply 195May 20, 2019 11:39 PM

Like lookin' in a mirror. And I bet she likes the prune danish too!

by Anonymousreply 196May 20, 2019 11:42 PM

Karen should go to a doctor and get some Juvederm and Restylane injections.

by Anonymousreply 197May 21, 2019 1:17 AM

If Karen used cocaine to stay thin, she'd be alive today.

by Anonymousreply 198May 21, 2019 1:24 AM

I want to go back in time and kick Agnes in the cunt!

by Anonymousreply 199May 21, 2019 1:42 AM

I thought cocaine made you bloat.

by Anonymousreply 200May 21, 2019 2:00 AM

Summary, R193?

by Anonymousreply 201May 21, 2019 2:16 AM

Wearing foun-dation gar-ments to your e-lo-cu-tion class-es

by Anonymousreply 202May 21, 2019 2:27 AM

Celine's face looks like it's retreating from her nose.

by Anonymousreply 203May 21, 2019 3:00 AM

Yikes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 21, 2019 3:04 AM

Oh, I love Celine but she just did Carpool Karaoke and she looks so unwell. Her hands and head look huge because she is nothing but skin and a skull. Her eyes and teeth also appear too large and bright, the way dying people sometimes look. But she seemed strong. Karen was a lifelong mess, born into dysfunction. I'm starting to think Celine might actually be sick.

by Anonymousreply 205May 21, 2019 3:08 AM

Celine might actually have cancer.

Women don’t just usually develop anorexia in their 50s.

by Anonymousreply 206May 21, 2019 4:00 AM

Karen should have tried Cool-Sculpting.

by Anonymousreply 207May 21, 2019 4:01 AM

Celine Dion is entering Karen Carpenter territory

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208May 21, 2019 5:00 AM

Celine Dion is entering Karen Carpenter territory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209May 21, 2019 5:02 AM

Being seated next to "maize-fed" James Corden doesn't help

by Anonymousreply 210May 21, 2019 5:03 AM

Hasn’t Celine always been stick thin?

by Anonymousreply 211May 21, 2019 5:04 AM

Upthread poster..I don’t think Barbara Bush daughter of pres. George w is a jr? More like Barbara Bush II

by Anonymousreply 212May 21, 2019 5:15 AM

Celine makes Madonna look youthful.

Her face is so drawn.

by Anonymousreply 213May 21, 2019 5:17 AM

She didn’t look overly skinny here but she was always slim. I think she started to look overly skinny after René’s 2nd cancer and eventual death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214May 21, 2019 5:17 AM

Celine is enormously talented, batshit crazy and a sweet sincere human being. She's a far more gifted vocalist than Karen Carpenter could ever dream and let's just leave Madonna's reconstructed face and vocal ineptitude out of it. We are talking about Celine because of her quite dramatic weight loss in the last year. She's always been slender, but quite perfectly so. Lovely body. Only recently has she looked so unwell and far too thin. It's made the press and public comment many times. Celine is adamant that she is fine and happy with the way she looks. As if that denial isn't familiar and a bit of an alarm. She may not have an eating disorder or she may be ill in some other way. She has suffered a great deal in the last 5 years, but she is definitely not in hiding. Her current appearance is not her normal look, no. Nor is a healthy one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215May 21, 2019 5:29 AM

Celine is covering her neck with a scarf as there are signs of bulimia, just as with Vera Ellen. She’ll be dead within the year. And everyone will wonder why they didn’t do anything - just like Karen.

by Anonymousreply 216May 21, 2019 6:50 AM

She was the only 70s singer not to be asked to star in Grease

by Anonymousreply 217May 21, 2019 7:05 AM

Karen Carpenter is the worst dressed female singer of all time.

by Anonymousreply 218May 21, 2019 7:08 AM

[quote]I think her hair looks like that because of malnutrition, not style choice

Partly true, of course, but eighties hair products were far harsher than today, and the big fluffy layered styles required perming, or endless blowdrying and gelling and spraying.

by Anonymousreply 219May 21, 2019 7:12 AM

Celine has kids and she'll stick around for them. She's very underweight right now but she had very little on her to lose before the gay husband's cancer and the death.

by Anonymousreply 220May 21, 2019 7:14 AM

[quote]1990 ain't recently bitch.

This sums up DL in four words

by Anonymousreply 221May 21, 2019 7:20 AM

Why not start a Celine's sad, final days thread?

by Anonymousreply 222May 21, 2019 7:37 AM

Celine husband died 3 years ago. Why is she losing weight now? Fucking her must be painful.

by Anonymousreply 223May 21, 2019 7:47 AM

A recent Celine thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224May 21, 2019 7:53 AM

She's thinks she looks better to her 17 year younger boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 225May 21, 2019 8:01 AM

What's amazing to me is that she is quite aggressive and dominant in this video.

She probably was all kinds of nuts and very difficult to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 226May 21, 2019 9:42 AM

Karen Carpenter, fat, fat, fat. Fat people are so depressing, no?

by Anonymousreply 227May 21, 2019 10:49 AM

If anyone saw Celine Dion on James Cordon's show last night, you'd think Karen Carpenter is a cow compared to her!

by Anonymousreply 228May 21, 2019 11:45 AM

Can someone please start a thread about that Canadian hockey stick so we can get back to ME?

by Anonymousreply 229May 21, 2019 11:53 AM

Celine is loved for herself alone. Her beautiful talent is already legend. Stay strong Celine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230May 21, 2019 12:01 PM

1990 IS recent if you are talking about something as buggy-whippish as foundation garments. Sounds like something from Victorian England, but has, in fact, been with us till (relatively) recently. And it does not refer to spanx or girdles, eclusively. It refers to bustiers and similar upper body support/control pieces as well.

Celine Dion has always been anorexic. If you look at the photos of her on google images, you could say she was merely skinny. But 2 things. First, she never allows herself to be photographed with other women. In fact, she is almost always alone in her pix. Common anorexic stunt. Other people in the photo invite size comparisons. Rene Angelil was the exception, but he was obese and so removed the possibility of comparison to normalcy.

by Anonymousreply 231May 21, 2019 12:58 PM

Celine has never been this skinny, ever.

by Anonymousreply 232May 21, 2019 1:18 PM

The spec/rumors about Celine were around long before her husband's cancer/death.

by Anonymousreply 233May 21, 2019 1:57 PM

She was never a beauty, but Celine is looking rough these days.

by Anonymousreply 234May 21, 2019 2:10 PM

It's also why Celine wears the huge shoulder pads all the time. She is literally padding her emaciated body.

by Anonymousreply 235May 21, 2019 4:28 PM

Love Celine. She's outlasted everyone. But, yeah, eat something darlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236May 21, 2019 4:32 PM

She was always skinny. She's just getting older y'all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237May 21, 2019 4:34 PM

Either way, it's not a good look.

by Anonymousreply 238May 21, 2019 4:51 PM

To claim that Celine does not allow herself to be photographed with other women is to not know ANYTHING about Celine Dion. Professionally she is onstage with other women every night. She has stood in the middle of Destiny's Child and sang for 8 minutes straight with her hero, Jeanette Reno. She did that sappy song with Streisand. She stands next to her band members and back up singers every time she performs. Celine goes on French Language talk shows frequently and interacts and performs and is PHOTOGRAPHED will all kinds of people. She is a nutty and very sweet girl. That's part of what's happening now. She is having her adolescence. Unfortunately part of that seems to be a return to fears of being chubby, even at her chronologically advanced age. She was very sheltered from many things. Her husband, work and family are all that she's known for 51 years. She needs to eat now. She says she has chosen to lose weight to feel more powerful and feminine. At her size - that is dysmorphic language.

You would look hard to find a sweeter or more patient celebrity than Celine. She takes photos with all kinds of people at every single pre-concert meet and greet. And she has done literally thousands of concerts. Lots of heavy women and men. Screaming queens, sweaty teens and older people. She's kind to them all and not at all afraid to be photographed in selfies. She's a fucking doll. Her heart is very pure.

This drunk woman came dangerously close to Celine on stage. Watch how Celine handles it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 21, 2019 8:12 PM

This is MY thread!

by Anonymousreply 240May 21, 2019 9:41 PM

OMG I think I know that woman in the Celine video!!! I worked with her and she is a bipolat attention whore who loves to be in the spotlight. It really looks like her, but I think she would dress better than that.

by Anonymousreply 241May 21, 2019 9:42 PM

Getting back to Karen, watch her with her closeted lover ONJ and closeted John Travolta on closeted Merv Griffin's talk show. This would have been a few months after the alarming GMA interview and it aired just weeks after they tried to tape the British interview. Not sure how many months they taped Merv in advance, but at least her hair looks a bit better. She's still skeletal, eye-rolling, and completely infatuated with Olivia.

I wonder if Olivia tried to help her, realizing she was wasting away to nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242May 21, 2019 9:51 PM

Celine needs Scupltra. Doesn't she have people who can advise her about these things?

by Anonymousreply 243May 21, 2019 9:57 PM

Agnes Carpenter made Joan Crawford look like June Cleaver.

by Anonymousreply 244May 22, 2019 12:42 AM

FUCK CELINE.

This is Karen's thread.

by Anonymousreply 245May 22, 2019 12:45 AM

I always loved Karen’s music, but she looked quite frumpy and unstylish in the early years. She looked her best in the mid-to-late 1970s, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 246May 22, 2019 12:55 AM

I always thought it ironic that even though she was always known for ballads, 2 of her 3 number 1 songs were not.

by Anonymousreply 247May 22, 2019 1:00 AM

Celine sings with her Quebecois inspirations, on the Plains of Abrahams. With Ginette Reno. Spectacular!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248May 22, 2019 1:27 AM

Celine has her own thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249May 22, 2019 1:29 AM

Enough of this thread with the widow!

by Anonymousreply 250May 22, 2019 1:36 AM

I was 14 or so when she died and was shocked to learn it was due to complications from anorexia, but this was before the Internet, and unlimited access to celebrity images, video and news. I don't know that I ever saw her look as thin as she does in the videos in this thread.

I wonder if she could've gotten help that would have saved her life if her deteriorating condition was more widely known?

by Anonymousreply 251May 22, 2019 3:35 AM

what was the brothers place in all this mess. were they close or was there some issue.....he seemed very domineering.

KAREN I LOVE U AND MISS U. UR VOICE IS BEST EVER

by Anonymousreply 252May 22, 2019 3:38 AM

R231 I love you honey

by Anonymousreply 253May 22, 2019 9:02 AM

I was a kid in the early-mid 70s and I loved The Carpenters. But believe me, inthe late 70s they very un-cool and were dropped like a hat from radio airplay and batched with cheesy bubblegum groups. In essence, they were has-beens. They were so passé, it was cringeworthy and at about this time, the mindset was to forget them. Vestiges of that sentiment remain today, which would explain why they are never nominated for the RnR hall of fame. The loss of Karen at such an early age cemented that fate. Had she lived, I'm positive they would have a revival and a RnR Hall induction.

I feel so badly about this continuing oversight.

by Anonymousreply 254May 22, 2019 9:44 AM

.....oh, and of course it was truly acceptable for women to be on a diet. It was a hot fad at the time. Plus, no one believed that being too thin could kill.

by Anonymousreply 255May 22, 2019 9:47 AM

I hope she's singing to the angels in Heaven and living on eclairs.

by Anonymousreply 256May 22, 2019 10:21 AM

I remember reading that her husband married her for her money and was extremely mentally and emotionally abusive.

by Anonymousreply 257May 22, 2019 1:23 PM

This song makes me wonder what might have happened with the direction of their music in the 80s had Karen survived and recovered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258May 22, 2019 2:41 PM

My God that video at R242 is just too awkward to watch the whole thing. Karen is completely devoid of joy, even as she is smiling and laughing. I also thinks it's interesting she says "my husband has this big beautiful boat". Wasn't it your boat too, Karen? Let's face it, you probably paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 259May 22, 2019 2:56 PM

I also think it's awkward how Karen thinks she is telling a hilarious story when it just is sad.

I figured out that this talk show appearance must have been taped in the summer of 1981 since they separated in October of 1981. Things may already have been going bad at that point, but Karen was all about the illusion of a happily married heterosexual for the press. By August when she appeared on GMA, she was haggard and probably at her lowest point weight wise due to the pressures of an unhappy marriage... and then when things were truly over was when she was in England taping the slimmers disease disaster interview.

by Anonymousreply 260May 22, 2019 7:52 PM

Karen tried to be so "on" in her interviews. It's a bit strange to watch.

by Anonymousreply 261May 22, 2019 11:27 PM

She seemed like a dyke.

by Anonymousreply 262May 22, 2019 11:48 PM

R260: Karen was married 8/31/80, in the interview she tells Merv that she was married “a year ago yesterday” which means this interview was taped 9/1/81.

by Anonymousreply 263May 22, 2019 11:53 PM

Karen was NOT diseased!

She was just pooped from too much work.

by Anonymousreply 264May 22, 2019 11:57 PM

R258 all the Carpenters big hits were from 1970 to 1975. They had their only top 15 song of the 80s in 1981 "Touch Me When We're Dancing".

by Anonymousreply 265May 23, 2019 12:41 AM

I hope they can save her!

by Anonymousreply 266May 23, 2019 12:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 23, 2019 1:07 AM

As I told her, with fashion love, the last time I saw her, 'You could afford to lose a few."

by Anonymousreply 268May 23, 2019 3:26 AM

It’s her over-plucked eyebrows that are the real sickness here.

by Anonymousreply 269May 23, 2019 3:35 AM

Her boat story was boring and sounded contrived.

Travolta looked liked he wanted to be anywhere else but there.

by Anonymousreply 270May 23, 2019 3:49 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271May 23, 2019 7:50 AM

tragic smile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 23, 2019 7:55 AM

Her brother also looks anorexic here? Manorexic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273May 23, 2019 7:57 AM

Another secret lesbian relationship?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 23, 2019 7:58 AM

[R102] Randy, in his book, Little Girl Blue, has contradicted the assertion made by Ray Coleman, the author of the 1st Carpenters' bio, that Richard's wife is indeed a BIOLOGICAL 1st cousin. It is legal in 13 states, including California. They had genetic testing when they got married to make sure their kids wouldn't be 'Kooked Up' if they had any. Karen was mortified.

by Anonymousreply 275May 23, 2019 1:40 PM

Did Richard and the cuz produce any inbred Jeds?

by Anonymousreply 276May 23, 2019 2:53 PM

I always assumed Richard was gay.

by Anonymousreply 277May 23, 2019 3:02 PM

Richard’s not gay, just extremely uptight. Especially after he got cured off the quaaludes.

I don’t think marrying your cousin is that big a deal. The British royal family did it for centuries. Are they still married? I think getting fucked with a big dick just once would do wonders for him.

by Anonymousreply 278May 23, 2019 3:09 PM

Whitebread skeletor!

by Anonymousreply 279May 23, 2019 3:15 PM

Todd Haynes film implied Richard was gay.

"I'll tell them about your...private life."

"If you say one word. One fucking word... YOU LITTLE BITCH!"

by Anonymousreply 280May 23, 2019 3:34 PM

r271 No clue who the other person is with Karen in that shot. Would it kill people to include captions?

by Anonymousreply 281May 23, 2019 3:38 PM

Isn't it ONJ R281?

by Anonymousreply 282May 23, 2019 4:18 PM

r282 I don't know. That's the point. Doesn't really look a lot like her, but I guess it *could* be. Would like to know for sure. More and more posters are doing this now all over the board and it pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 283May 23, 2019 4:20 PM

On which of their albums does she sing her rendition of "Food, Glorious Food"?

by Anonymousreply 284May 23, 2019 4:21 PM

R282

Yeah, that looks like ONJ, but what are they doing on Helen Reddy's bed?

by Anonymousreply 285May 23, 2019 4:21 PM

It's ONJ. Time for that cataract surgery, dear.

by Anonymousreply 286May 23, 2019 4:38 PM

Maybe time for me to apologize for not being 70, dear.

by Anonymousreply 287May 23, 2019 4:48 PM

r286

To be fair, that's the only picture I've seen of ONJ where she doesn't have blonde hair. (At least since she became famous) and that was that early 80s, where everyone (ONJ, Pat Benatar, Sheena Easton, etc) had those manlike haircuts.

by Anonymousreply 288May 23, 2019 6:10 PM

It is odd that ONJ has never said a public word about Karen since K's death in 1983...

by Anonymousreply 289May 23, 2019 6:12 PM

She has spoken about Karen in a lot of bio docs about The Carpenters, and ones about herself. She was an honorary pallbearer at her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 290May 23, 2019 6:25 PM

I think that she made an honest attempt to gain some weight for her wedding in August 1980. She looked healthier then. But as marriage turned out NOT to be the answer to all her problems, her eating disorder worsened through 1981. She may have been wearing a wig in the Merv interview because the dried out lifeless look in the GMA interview is covered up somewhat with makeup and baggy clothes.

by Anonymousreply 291May 23, 2019 7:36 PM

It’s too bad Chrissy Metz can’t catch the Slimmer’s Disease.

by Anonymousreply 292May 23, 2019 11:51 PM

Richard and his wife had 5 natural born children (I believe) and none of them are 'kooked up' to my knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 293May 24, 2019 12:19 AM

I think Karen looks fine and happy in that Merv Griffin interview. I don’t believe these awful Lesbian rumors. Why would they do that? I never understood Lesbianism anyway. What are they even accomplishing with all that flicking and grinding and rubbing? I think they’re just trying to shock people!

Karen and Olivia don’t seem like that kind.

by Anonymousreply 294May 24, 2019 12:59 AM

Circa 1969 on The Dating Game:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295May 24, 2019 1:08 AM

^she's a man

by Anonymousreply 296May 24, 2019 1:15 AM

@ABC7

Former Riverside teacher pleads guilty to molesting 14-year-old girl

Women with Big Faces for $400, Alex

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 24, 2019 1:29 AM

[quote]She was the only 70s singer not to be asked to star in Grease

That didn't stop her from doing an oldies segment in her concerts and dressing up in a parody of that era . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298May 24, 2019 1:32 AM

I don't see what the big deal is. Wasn't Danny Thomas one?

by Anonymousreply 299May 24, 2019 1:34 AM

[R294], go suck an egg. I hope you're being sarcastic. She puts off major lesbian vibes, especially when she was younger. After her friend(s) got a hold of her to girly her up, her look changed, but I don't think for a moment she was 100% straight.

by Anonymousreply 300May 24, 2019 1:36 AM

I heard that John Wayne encouraged Karen to audition for the role in True Grit that ultimately went to Kim Darby. Since she didn't hit the big time until 1970 with Close To You (or even the little time until 1969 with Ticket To Ride), the timeline doesn't seem right, but I've heard this from several people. Has anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 301May 24, 2019 1:39 AM

I heard that too, r301

by Anonymousreply 302May 24, 2019 1:40 AM

Richard had/has a nice jaw.

by Anonymousreply 303May 24, 2019 1:45 AM

[R301] I think that Randy Schmidt debunks this in his bio, Little Girl Blue. I wonder how a random rumor like this gets started? She did audition with Kenny Roger's band in like 1969, but he didn't think she was a good fit for his voice. This is confirmed in both bios (Coleman and Schmidt, I believe).

by Anonymousreply 304May 24, 2019 2:46 AM

Karen Carpenter was a sick and sad and tortured soul. But she didn't suffer from lesbianism.

by Anonymousreply 305May 24, 2019 2:54 AM

She looks rather mannish on The Dating Game Show.

by Anonymousreply 306May 24, 2019 3:28 AM

^i think so too and a lot like her brother..her hair looks shiny and natural tho compared to later when it was like steel wool.

by Anonymousreply 307May 24, 2019 5:08 AM

R306 & R307 I agree. In The Dating Game Show, she looks like her brother in a wig. Interestingly, the end of the segment confirmed her lousy taste in men--she chose the douche and rejected the nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 308May 24, 2019 9:23 AM

It's hard to believe there were no other visible cases of celebrity anorexia at that time.

by Anonymousreply 309May 24, 2019 1:41 PM

This is probably something that was realized more later - but Susan Dey has admitted there was a time during the Partridge Family where she had an eating disorder and was quite thin.

by Anonymousreply 310May 24, 2019 1:46 PM

R308 Wish Karen chose bachelor number three. Karen gave off a driven yet very self conscious vibe. She was clearly much happier performing.

by Anonymousreply 311May 24, 2019 1:47 PM

reply 289

Olivia didn't like Richard Carpenter. She said Karen was always trying to set her up with him. I've seen several talk show clips, where Olivia puts subtle digs into Richard, like Karen's shelved album, when Karen said, that it was shelved because Richard thought it was too close to the "Carpenter's sound," Olivia immediately hits back with, "What do you mean? YOU ARE the Carpenter's sound."

by Anonymousreply 312May 24, 2019 2:04 PM

New book to be released shortly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313May 24, 2019 4:58 PM

I actually performed onstage with her...choir boy for "Sing A Song".

by Anonymousreply 314May 24, 2019 6:55 PM

^ What was the experience like?

by Anonymousreply 315May 24, 2019 7:02 PM

It was great, we weren't paid but we each got four tickets (nearly front row) to the concert. The song before "Sing A Song", they came and got us and brought us backstage...then we were out onstage and Karen walked around and said hi to us and asked the guy next to me if he was married..which brought a big laugh. I was 11 years old.

by Anonymousreply 316May 24, 2019 7:07 PM

^Nice, thank you for sharing that story!

by Anonymousreply 317May 24, 2019 7:13 PM

If Karen Carpenter had lived she and her brother would have become passe. They may have retained a loyal fan base but I don't think they would have had any more hits. Their music was pure seventies MOR.

by Anonymousreply 318May 24, 2019 7:17 PM

R318

Yeah, she might have become passe, but she'd still be alive....

by Anonymousreply 319May 24, 2019 7:27 PM

R311 I totally agree!

by Anonymousreply 320May 24, 2019 9:39 PM

You're concerned with a woman who's been dead for 35 years bachelor pick on The Dating Game? The show was just a gimmick to promote "pretty" young Karen. A beauty she was not, chubby or skeletal. She had a beautiful studio voice. She could sing very well in person, but could not replicate the Carpenter's recorded sound. They used close mic techniques among many other tricks for Karen's voice to really stand out in front of the orchestrations. Her voice had such beautiful tone but she was not a powerful singer. Also she sang with a noticeable Californian's accent. Very strange what she did with some vowels sounds. On a quality audio system some of her songs are sublime though. Not gonna lie.

by Anonymousreply 321May 24, 2019 10:06 PM

R321 I know it's weird, but I think if she would have chosen more wisely in general--had better taste in men (or women)--she might be alive and well today. What she needed was a supportive, loving partner and a stable home life. The Dating Game just illustrates her habit of choosing jerks. By the way, I totally agree with what you say about her voice/sound and find that insightful.

by Anonymousreply 322May 24, 2019 10:12 PM

Thanks R322. I am the dude who was born in the year Karen died. That this is her last recording won't surprise a long time fan like you. But if you expand the YouTube explanation, it's quite interesting.

The process was always that Karen would sing a test lead vocal and later it would be arranged and orchestrated by Richard and the orchestration would be recorded. Then Karen would come in to record her REAL vocal, in as many takes and pieces and overdubs as (Richard) needed. He's weird but he wasn't a monster. He created, protected AND inhibited her. Forgot to love her. That's the tragedy of her life. Who actually ever told her they loved her? It seems like no one.

For a single take recording at the height of her illness, Karen still had it. Those gorgeous low tones and light pretty head voice. She had innate sense of melody and timing, (drummer girl) and that gorgeous sweep to her voice, even if she never really belted. Something to be said for that - as much as I like the DIVAs. The praise of KC's voice STILL is not hyperbole or sentiment. She was exceptional. Her sound was so warm and round and at times haunting. It's the tone of a voice that connects with us always. Her's was gorgeous. She had great musicianship, pretty good technique and so much better taste in her singing than her brother had in its presentation.

Cheers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323May 24, 2019 10:52 PM

* next time I won't write gorgeous 3 times in one paragraph!

by Anonymousreply 324May 24, 2019 11:04 PM

She must have REALLY been desperate to get married. The guy she married was such an obvious douchebag. Just looking at a picture of him makes my flesh crawl.

by Anonymousreply 325May 24, 2019 11:05 PM

She has man hands.

by Anonymousreply 326May 24, 2019 11:13 PM

Cheers to you R321 R323. You've made me appreciate Karen, her music and sound, in a new way, since I now understand the specifics of the collaborative process with Richard. Their process explains a lot about the power dynamics and psychology of their relationship and art.

by Anonymousreply 327May 24, 2019 11:21 PM

Had she lived I’m sure The Carpenters would have set up camp in Branson.

by Anonymousreply 328May 24, 2019 11:22 PM

I think they’d have a loyal fan base of older people today. They’d still be doing occasional sold-out small concerts, probably not big tours. They’d still beloved by a certain type of fan.

by Anonymousreply 329May 25, 2019 4:48 AM

She'd never last in Branson.

Sure, they have iced tea but certainly no tossed salads.

by Anonymousreply 330May 25, 2019 5:17 AM

I love Karen's voice. Her best material still holds up beautifully for me There were a few nice songs later on the "Lovelines" album, a few from her solo album reworked by Richard.

I'm sure Richard was a genius, often, but too often for my tastes, he'd take a great song, Karen's great vocal, and then wrap the song in gooey Disneyesque orchestration filler. I hated that. "I Need To Be In Love," came out well in spite of such a treatment, but it could have been even stronger.

by Anonymousreply 331May 25, 2019 12:09 PM

Richard was an ace arranger, and had a good ear for hits. He should have stayed at A&M and used his talent to bring up other talents, but instead retired to his room where he just remixes his old hits, over and over, for re-release.

by Anonymousreply 332May 25, 2019 12:58 PM

Wait-is that guy her brother or husband?Some upthread are calling him her brother, others brother...????

by Anonymousreply 333May 25, 2019 1:17 PM

Yes, I wonder why Richard never did much with other artists. He did one album in the late 80s with various people like Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield but that was it.

by Anonymousreply 334May 25, 2019 2:05 PM

Their father seemed like he was on the autism spectrum so I wonder if Richard and or Karen were also. They were both extremely intelligent (Richard was a prodigy), socially awkward, very driven, and obsessed with perfection in their music and its success on the charts.

Speaking of awkward 70s stars, Daryl Dragon of Captain and Tennille is a whole other story and I know there's a thread out there.

by Anonymousreply 335May 25, 2019 2:18 PM

I'm POOPED, you cunts!

by Anonymousreply 336May 25, 2019 2:30 PM

She'll always will be associated with anorexia almost as much with her beautiful music. I have watched a couple of documentaries about her, and they do indicate she received "some" medical treatment for her eating disorder and related. The documentaries rendered the impression that her family did not intervene enough and/or did not show suffient alarm about her condition. Perhaps at that time period, they did not understand the disease well. Maybe they really were concerned, but were frustrated in terms of what to do to change her behavior. Documentaries can be misleading.

That said, OP's posted video, which I have seen prior, show's a dehabilitated, visably sick and malnurished person. No one tried to stop her from making this camera appearance? Karen's enablers had their own measure of delusion about this situation.

by Anonymousreply 337May 25, 2019 2:43 PM

^debilitated; shows, not show's

by Anonymousreply 338May 25, 2019 2:47 PM

I still can't believe she was only 32

by Anonymousreply 339May 25, 2019 2:47 PM

A couple classic songs, but I find them an overblown Jimmy & Kristy McNichol. They should have quit around 1974, found different careers, different paths.

They wanted to remain vital but their thang was Youth, the gimmick of a brother/sister act. Which became macabre after they lost the good songwriters, music styles changed and they tried to stay young by dieting.

Todd Haynes was correct in portraying them as Camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340May 25, 2019 4:07 PM

KC’s voice was just so pretty - and I don’t mean that in a disparaging way. There were better bigger voices and more accomplished stylists but her voice still resonates with me even when the songs are on the cheesy side.

I realize some of that has to do with being a kid back then and remembering hearing her on the car radio, but whenever I happen to hear a song by her it always makes me both happy and sad at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 341May 25, 2019 8:50 PM

She didn’t die from anorexia. She died from Ipecac-induced heart failure.

She’d still be alive if she’d just continued starving herself.

by Anonymousreply 342May 26, 2019 12:07 AM

I was struck by how many songs they recorded that became hits for others...but they recorded them first. This Masquerade, Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again, Reason To Believe, I Just Fall In Love Again, Can't Smile Without You. Great jobs on all, but especially Tryin' To Get The Feeling which is very different from Manilow's version.

by Anonymousreply 343May 26, 2019 12:13 AM

R343, nobody in the modern era ever heard any of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 344May 26, 2019 12:24 AM

I find it strange that the last thing she recorded was Now in June 1981. So she recorded nothing for the next 20 months or so? I know she was in treatment for much of 1982.

Actually, I just looked it up and she recorded Now in one take in April 1982 when she took a short break from her eating disorder treatment and returned to California. That actually makes a lot more sense.

by Anonymousreply 345May 29, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote] I was struck by how many songs they recorded that became hits for others

On the other hand, they were the ones that finally made a hit of Close To You after several others had recorded it.

I love Dusty, and like her version, but the Carpenters' version went to the top of the charts for a reason - they really captured something special.

Although this version from Dusty's TV show was pretty damn good.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346May 29, 2019 12:08 AM

The Haynes film uses several instances of Harry spanking a bare bottomed doll. Was that supposed to be Karen?

Did he spank her as an adult?

by Anonymousreply 347May 29, 2019 12:31 AM

The Carpenters career paralleled the group Bread. They started at the same time (I think Close To You bumped Make It With You out of the No. 1 slot in 1970), they both found success with ballads at a time when that wasn't where pop music was , they both dominated the early 70s, the Carpenters Oscar-winning song For All We Know was written by a member of Bread, both groups faded with the 70s. What made me think of this subject was the wish that Karen had recorded a duet with Bread lead singer David Gates. I think their voices would've been perfect together on a song...maybe something like "If".

by Anonymousreply 348May 29, 2019 1:06 AM

"she sang with a noticeable Californian's accent" -

Can someone give an example or two?

by Anonymousreply 349May 29, 2019 1:29 AM

I wish there were camera phones when she spent the night singing with Mama Cass at a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 350May 29, 2019 6:31 AM

R345: 1981 and 1982 were Karen’s worst years. In ‘81 she was trying to promote Made In America in a skeletal state while her marriage was ending. In ‘82 she was back in NY under Levenkron’s care and ended up in the hospital in the Fall. She died a few months later in early ‘83.

by Anonymousreply 351May 30, 2019 11:27 PM

R348 - Sing with Bread?

For fuck’s sake she should have just eaten some.

by Anonymousreply 352May 31, 2019 4:48 AM

Just give it a rest already.

She was just pooped is all...

by Anonymousreply 353May 31, 2019 10:59 AM

[quote] 1981 and 1982 were Karen’s worst years. In ‘81 she was trying to promote Made In America in a skeletal state while her marriage was ending.

Made In America was easily their worst album too.

They peaked with 1975’s Horizon and it was a steady decline from there. However, the second of the two studio albums released after Karen’s death (Lovelines) was a very nice collection of unreleased tunes.

by Anonymousreply 354June 3, 2019 6:41 PM

"Lovelines" was pretty good, but so were a couple of cuts on "Passage."

by Anonymousreply 355June 3, 2019 10:26 PM

POOPED!

Pooped, I tell ya!

by Anonymousreply 356June 4, 2019 12:30 AM

Elvis meets Karen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357June 4, 2019 12:49 AM

"Elvis meets Karen."

He looks like he doesn't even know she's there.

by Anonymousreply 358June 4, 2019 12:57 AM

[quote]He looks like he doesn't even know she's there.

He was just pooped is all.

by Anonymousreply 359June 4, 2019 12:58 AM

R342 Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again is one of the most amazing vocal performances I have ever heard from Karen. The recording that exists today is the very first time she ever sang it, it's a test track. If you listen closely you can hear her turning pages. Can you imagine the natural talent it takes to sing so flawlessly on the fly like that? It brings shivers to my spine whenever I hear it. In these days of auto tune and computers......

by Anonymousreply 360June 4, 2019 1:10 AM

[R357] that pic is a known photo shop, which is why Elvis is not looking at her.

by Anonymousreply 361June 4, 2019 1:43 AM

Okay, here's a real photo of Elvis and Karen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362June 4, 2019 2:16 AM

Anybody need to poop?

by Anonymousreply 363June 4, 2019 2:22 AM

"Okay, here's a real photo of Elvis and Karen."

Elvis looks fine in that photo. Karen looks AWFUL. Her face is so gaunt and her color is so bad she looks like a corpse.

by Anonymousreply 364June 4, 2019 2:40 AM

She was just pooped, R364.

by Anonymousreply 365June 4, 2019 4:03 PM

R362 Well, HE looks great.

by Anonymousreply 366June 4, 2019 4:16 PM

Not eating was never one of Elvis' problems. He was rosy with health compared to KC. He looks hopped up on the dope though.

by Anonymousreply 367June 4, 2019 10:36 PM

Poor Karen. Too bad she struggled with “being pooped” back in the 70s and 80s.

Today we know more about it and can hospitalize and treat celebrities when they come down with “exhaustion”.

by Anonymousreply 368June 4, 2019 11:52 PM

John thought she was Lily Tomlin.

by Anonymousreply 369June 5, 2019 12:09 AM

I much prefer "Slimmers Disease" to anorexia nervosa.

Sounds way more chic!

by Anonymousreply 370June 5, 2019 1:40 AM

Yes, Slimmer's Disease sounds like something you might inherit or encounter on a trip!

by Anonymousreply 371June 5, 2019 1:50 AM

She was F’ing pissed at that British interviewer asking if she was down to 6 stone in weight. I’ve never seen an angrier eye roll. She was pooped!

by Anonymousreply 372June 5, 2019 8:20 PM

What if Karen had broken away from Richard and pursued a Madonna like career? Fun dance tunes. Risque stage shows. Karen's SEX book with other celebs like Twiggy, Burt Reynolds and Alan Alda?

How would Agnes have reacted? The scandal of Downey??

by Anonymousreply 373June 5, 2019 11:15 PM

She tried to do that with her solo disco album, R373. But Richard made sure it flopped. He did NOT want Karen to leave him.

White people are crazy, aren’t they?

by Anonymousreply 374June 5, 2019 11:58 PM

R373: Karen with a whip straddling John Davidson. And fuck Agnes! The scandal hopefully would’ve sent that old bitch to her grave.

by Anonymousreply 375June 6, 2019 12:44 AM

Karen rimming Joe Namath while describing her pussy as a place of wonderment!

by Anonymousreply 376June 6, 2019 12:46 AM

[quote]Karen rimming Joe Namath

Ass had too many calories for Karen to eat.

by Anonymousreply 377June 6, 2019 12:50 AM

Karen's solo album was pretty lackluster, with only a couple of exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 378June 6, 2019 1:28 AM

To R373. Karen should have had the same career trajectory as Linda Ronstadt did in the late 70's and 80's. Acting, trying new music genres. She'd still be with us today and who knows what she would have accomplished. Such a tragic waste.

by Anonymousreply 379June 6, 2019 1:30 AM

Karen looked a fright by '81.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380June 6, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote] Karen's solo album was pretty lackluster, with only a couple of exceptions.

I agree. Richard took the best tracks and put them on “Lovelines”.

by Anonymousreply 381June 6, 2019 3:26 AM

I dunno. Karen could use a few more whirlybirds if you ask me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382June 6, 2019 3:35 AM

Would love to see Karen interviewed about her SEX book...

"So Ms. Carpenter...tell us about your book called SLUT."

"SEX. My book is titled SEX."

"In my country we call it SLUT."

by Anonymousreply 383June 6, 2019 5:28 AM

r380, it's surprising The Carpenters PR person let her do that interview on GMA looking near death.

by Anonymousreply 384June 7, 2019 3:17 AM

Imagery of Rick James taking Karen from behind as she pantomimes going down on Jayne Kennedy.

Who would shoot her SEX book? Mapplethorpe???

Agnes would have a coronary!

by Anonymousreply 385June 7, 2019 9:31 AM

Her Christmas special with Coco Montrese was enthralling.

by Anonymousreply 386June 19, 2019 2:49 PM

I was born in 64, so the Carpenters and Abba were stuff the adults played while we had Marc Bolan etc. Karen did have a stunning voice though, I found this video and it looks like she is wearing a fat suit. How awful.. My first real awareness of anoexia was Lena Zavoroni.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387July 11, 2019 8:06 PM

The late lovely lena xx

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388July 11, 2019 8:08 PM

Sorry but...creepy kid and creepy song. Reminds me of Courtney Hadwin.

by Anonymousreply 389July 11, 2019 8:51 PM

Lena Zavaroni is one of the most tragic Hollywood tales of all time. This Scottish "little girl with the big voice" achieved some degree of stardom in England singing hoary old standards and unseemly adult songs like "Help Me Make It Through The Night" and "If They Could See Me Now", the hooker anthem from "Sweet Charity." But she never made it in the United States, despite performing with stars like Frank Sinatra and Lucille Ball and guesting on tv variety shows and performing at the White House for then President Gerald Ford. She had a tv show in England and did rather embarrassing variety show songs and comedy routines. Along the way she developed anorexia. Her career faded; she'd had an awful female manager who didn't give a damn about her, so for all her years of work she had very little to show for it. She had a disastrous marriage that barely existed. She got sicker and sicker and her financial situation was so dismal that she went "on the dole" and was at some point arrested for stealing a packet of jelly. Her mental condition continued to deteriorate; finally she went in to a hospital to get an operation on her brain, to try and get rid of the "static" in her head. The operation was said to be similar to a lobotomy. She was said to be improving and even had the notion that she would be able to make a comeback as a performer. But three weeks after the operation she contracted a chest infection and died of pneumonia. She was 35 years old. Someone summed up Lena Zavaroni's brief life succinctly with just one word: joyless.

by Anonymousreply 390July 11, 2019 9:06 PM

r390, Yes she had a terrible time. There is the common thread of the pushy mum with all these women..like Karen and Judy, so bloody sad. Putting this link to Lena as an adult...she was not always a bratty child singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391July 13, 2019 8:51 PM

R391 Not to mention poor batshit Britney....

by Anonymousreply 392July 16, 2019 8:02 PM

My life parallels KC’s. Controlling, narcissistic mom. Non involved dad. And a brother who was/is the Golden Child. Like KC- it looked great from the outside. I Developed anorexia, married controlling abusive men, etc. It took me 40 years to realize I was okay- my mother and brother were messed up. Karen didn’t live long enough to figure out she was the STAR and her mom & brother were ASSHOLES. It really screws you up when your family will back stab you to look like the SAINTS.

by Anonymousreply 393July 18, 2019 2:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!