Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

So, this just happened. A family friend's parents left their house to her. She's getting ready to put it on the market.

I told her I would come out to Connecticut and help her get it ready to sell. It's a Colonial from the 80's. It needs cosmetics, but it was a pretty nice house back in the day. Nice cul-de-sac neighborhood, mature landscaping. About 3000 sf. A mansion to me. She told me what she was told to put it on the market for, to get a fairly quick sale. For what I pay on my one bedroom on the UES, it's actually a bit less per month, taxes and mortgage.. Yeah, I'd need to renovate, and maintain a house, but you have to imagine just how much space that is. It's on an acre and backs up to even more open space. I work from home half the week, and only am in my office in midtown 2 or 3 days. would it be crazy to buy this house? The commute is a little tough, but doable. About 90 minutes each way. I'm staring at these walls in an apartment I've been in for almost 10 years and thinking, maybe? Any of you move to the burbs and hate it? Tell me! Of course my NY friends are aghast that I'd even consider it.

by Anonymousreply 372June 29, 2019 4:50 PM

So?

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2019 12:48 AM

Wait until you find out the condition the roof etc. is in. Don't mention anything until you know the state the house is really in. Things can get really messy with friends and real estate when shit like this comes up.

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2019 12:49 AM

I see lots and lots of cats in your future.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2019 12:50 AM

Even if you regret it, you'll still have a tangible asset.

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2019 12:52 AM

Why would one aging frau need 3,000 square feet?

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2019 12:53 AM

It sounds like the type of house that owns you, not the other way around, with never-ending repairs. Are you prepared for that?

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2019 12:56 AM

Ha, R3. I don't plan on becoming a cat lady, but thanks. Roof and furnace are 8-10 years old. The house has been maintained, just not updated. Oak cabinets, formica. Ugly tile and my favorite, seafoam green rugs in the bedrooms. I'm no frau, but thanks R5, It's just....such the opposite of what I've ever had, maybe that's the attraction? I've got a good job and an ok apartment, but this place is like....I've made it somehow? Good thing this is anonymous, lol. I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2019 12:57 AM

The commute will make you hate your life and everything it stands for.

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2019 1:00 AM

OP don't take her word for the quality of the house. See the paperwork, the appraisal for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2019 1:00 AM

The 3-hour round trip commute would crush your finances and your soul. Even only 2-3 days per week.

DON’T DO IT.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2019 1:02 AM

Well, of course like any other purchase, I'd have a home inspection. To get a mortgage, I'll need an appraisal anyway. Does anyone commute daily into NY around here? I'd be driving to Brewster NY, looks like. Or hell, maybe just drive in.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2019 1:06 AM

R5 for all the orgies, of course.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2019 1:06 AM

Do you have lots of friends in the city? If so, staying one night a week with friends might satisfy your city/excitement urge. I loved living in NYC in my youth but I've matured and now love visiting the city while I live peacefully elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2019 1:07 AM

My friend and his wife bought a similar "mansion" in Westport. It's really stunning. Total. Fucking. Money. Pit. Things break every other day. I might consider buying a house (lived in apts my whole life), but it'd have to be a small two bedroom with maybe a guest house.

Plus, making friends and even going to the market is a chore.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2019 1:07 AM

Now that I'm in my 40's, I'm not the social creature I was. I have some friends here and a few that have moved to the suburbs, some in LI, NJ and CT, but no one all that near the town this house is in. Factoring in where friends lived in different boroughs, it's probably not all that different. I feel like it's time for a change. Maybe this isn't it, but I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2019 1:13 AM

Drive into NYC OP? Where would you park? Parking garages cost a small fortune.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2019 1:14 AM

Do not mention your interest until finding out what shape the structure of the house is really in. I'm not going to warn you again. And you're going to regret not listening to me.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2019 1:17 AM

If you think you can afford it, then do it. You'll be kicking yourself years from now and regret you didn't.

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2019 1:20 AM

R17, do you have a reading comprehension problem? If so, I'll forgive you. If not, read my post at R11 again.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2019 1:21 AM

OP, the 80s were notorious for substandard construction. No such thing as "good bones" or what have you, The Darfur Orphan's mud hut is likely more structurally sound. I totally see this as being a money pit. AVOID. One thing I would recommend to see if this life is even for you, is try a couple of months renting in the suburbs, and giving that "few times a week, how bad can it be" commute a try for real. That may be an eye opener, especially in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 20May 15, 2019 1:22 AM

OMG. Inside, it's 3000 square feet? Outside, it's on an acre?

I have to agree with R6. No matter how pretty it looks, you'd probably have to say goodbye to either half your income or most of your life. (Maybe both.)

by Anonymousreply 21May 15, 2019 1:23 AM

Maintaining a house is a lot of work. You can't begin to imagine if you have never done it before. Plumbing problems, heating problems even with newer systems, roof leaks. Wait until the first snowstorm hits and you have to dig yourself out.

Maybe you should look into a large condo or coop that is a closer commute to the city.

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote]Nice cul-de-sac neighborhood,

do you mean, cul-de-sac, neighborhood?

If so, I'd never choose to live in a cul-de-sac. Nosey neighbors and all.

Can you WALK anywhere from this house?

by Anonymousreply 23May 15, 2019 1:29 AM

DO IT OP.

You can commute on the metro north. Work on the laptop and read the paper. You'll make friends on the train perhaps fall in love with another commuter. It's like a rom-com come true. DO IT.

by Anonymousreply 24May 15, 2019 1:29 AM

Well I think you should consider it but suggest you also look some other houses for sale in the area. You may discover another home that is an even better fit you.

by Anonymousreply 25May 15, 2019 1:29 AM

You'll never have sex again, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for some people of a certain age.

by Anonymousreply 26May 15, 2019 1:33 AM

If you are happy with the home inspection and are able to buy it minus a commission, go for it. I don't mind the work that comes with a house. Condos/apartments aren't my style. Just the stench of cooking food in the halls makes me gag.

by Anonymousreply 27May 15, 2019 1:35 AM

OP, my friend works in Manhattan and lives in Westchester. She bought a very cute house that is much smaller than the one you’re talking about, yet even her little one-bedroom cottage seems to be a money sucker. It’s in decent shape but there’s always a new problem demanding attention.

Plus, her commute is quite a bit shorter than yours would be - under 50 minutes on the express train - but doing it four or five times a week exhausts her. And btw, she’s at least ten years younger than you.

Only you can know what’s best for you, but I wouldn’t consider such a move if I still had to commute. Also, I just don’t see the purpose in buying (and repairing, upgrading and maintaining) a house way larger than you truly need. You’re asking for a permanent migraine, no?

Finally, you said the cost would roughly comparable to what you’re paying now, but what about gas, parking, tolls, insurance and tickets?

by Anonymousreply 28May 15, 2019 1:36 AM

I have a friend who did the opposite: she lived in Manhattan and commuted to Stamford. She told me something similar to R24 -- she got a lot done on the train and was even able to nap if she needed to.

I've owned two homes and I loved learning to work on them myself. Not everything has to be done at once. You start with the high priority items and work your way down the list. YouTube is a godsend for learning how to fix things, and I am so proud of what I've accomplished. Yes, it hasn't been easy, but every time I look at what I've done -- each project has made my home more my own.

I hated living in apartments and being at the mercy of a landlord. I like being able to take action on my own. If you're that kind of person, OP, give it a shot!! You'll be amazed at how proud you'll be to have a home of your own.

by Anonymousreply 29May 15, 2019 1:40 AM

YOLO brah, coin-up and be the king of your own castle! It takes sacrifice my man.

by Anonymousreply 30May 15, 2019 1:44 AM

Sounds fun! When do we move in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 15, 2019 1:56 AM

It does sound a little like The Money Pit, doesn't it? Which is a remake of one of my favorites films, Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House, with Cary Grant. I'll post an image so you can see why I like it. And I am listening to all concerns. It may be best to buy a condo outside the city, but when you can have a big ass house, I don't know. Feels different;

by Anonymousreply 32May 15, 2019 2:05 AM

Here it is. Realtor sent me the picture. I told her I would likely go through her if things worked out. She's gonna put the house on the market Friday if I decide not to put an offer in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 15, 2019 2:34 AM

Do it, op.

by Anonymousreply 34May 15, 2019 2:38 AM

That'a a lot of house for one person.

by Anonymousreply 35May 15, 2019 2:41 AM

Computer says no.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2019 2:44 AM

Commuting by train might no be so bad. Driving that much would drain you of your will to live. It sounds like you’re tired of urban apartment living. That’s a lot of house. The bigger the house the more you have to heat and clean and fix when it breaks. You might want to look into something smaller. Maybe something in a walkable area. Small towns and suburbs have walkable areas.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2019 2:47 AM

I think I'd charge admission to the grounds, lol. And I won't be showing you inside, cause that's pretty bad. I'm still listening and have a few days to decide if this is a horrible idea, or the best one ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2019 2:49 AM

INSPECT THE HOUSE, OP! You'll wish you were DEAD if you don't listen to my advice!

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2019 2:50 AM

YES I WILL GET AN INSPECTION IF I GO FORWARD. I understand the risk. I thought I made that clear in R11.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2019 2:55 AM

To me it sounds like you want it, so do it! If it doesn’t please you, you could always sell it. Go for it!

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2019 2:56 AM

I inherited the house I grew up in when I was in my 40's. It was a beautiful Cape Cod on the beach in a quaint New England town. Like the one you're contemplating it had been maintained, but just that - my Mom spent half the year in Florida for the last ten years of her life - more or less as a summer house. This was the 90's, and while it had been built well, nothing had been updated since the 70's: avocado formica and white appliances and the giant TV antenna on the roof that rotated courtesy of an electric box with a dial on it next to the giant console color TV.

I had the money and a sort of perverse "Green Acres" fantasy of moving to the country, perhaps spurred by the photo in the den of my mother jitterbugging with Eddie Albert in 1944. (She'd sold more War Bonds than anyone else at the Monsanto factory, he was in town for a Bond Drive, and it made the front page of the Record-American.) Anyway, I put $50,000 into it and found I didn't own it: it owned me. The commute was an hour and half each way. $3200 a year for heavily subsidized parking back then. I'd put 25,000 miles a year on the car and back then I smoked two packs a day. One pack in the car and one for the rest of the day. I needed to buy a station wagon for all the Home Depot runs - no more 300ZX. I was a slave to the place with every weekend spent mowing, painting, planting, pruning, raking leaves and fixing things. It was hard to organize anything to be done during the week, too, because I was gone from 7 to 7 M-F. I didn't know any of the neighbors and they had no desire to know me. Even the kids I'd grown up with and who still lived there had nothing in common with me. Their lives were there; mine was in the city. Not a lot of my friends from the city were interested in visiting - too far to drive. I got laid there once. And zero social life for me after work because one drink was the limit before heading home.

It was a showplace after two years of hard work and I got a lot for it. I spent money to do what I wanted and happily the improvements, all my sweat equity, and a rising market meant I made money, but the day I sold it was one of the happiest days of my life. I didn't see it as losing a link to my childhood. I saw no more half acre of lawn to mow and seed and fertilize. No more fences and stone walls and a seawall to maintain. No more shovelling snow. No more gardening. No more boarding the place up when there was a hurricane or a nor'easter forecast. No more three hours in the car every day.

Do what you like but don't romanticize country life. It's a lot of work and a lot of money and a lot of opportunities that you'll miss by not being in the city.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2019 2:57 AM

[quote]I was a slave to the place with every weekend spent mowing, painting, planting, pruning, raking leaves and fixing things.

But you were in a good shape, no?

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2019 3:06 AM

Thanks for the reply, and damn I'd love to see that picture of your Mom. I have family near this house, so maybe a plus or minus not sure. I know it's gonna take a ton to keep the house up. I think most of the neighborhood has stay at home moms and a dad that works in the city or Westchester. I may need a stay at home husband. But that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2019 3:07 AM

OP, now that you’ve shown us a picture of the house, I’m more opposed than ever. I know everyone’s taste is different, but while the setting is lovely, the house is simply ugly. Charmless. Though it’s large, the first thing that comes to mind when I look at it is the old Malvina Reynolds song Little Boxes.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2019 3:15 AM

Get a nice, new townhouse instead. I hate and I mean HATE taking care of a house and property. It's been raining for 4 weeks. There's mildew on my siding, on my decks, on my shed. My front porch needs painting, nails decks need power cleaning and staining. My lawn was fertilized last month, not knowing it was going to rain forever. The lawn needs to be mowed twice a week it's growing so much.

Deer dug up parts of my front and back yard. I'll have to fill in the holes with some soil so I don't miss a hole in the tall grass and break my ankle.

There are starlings nesting under my 2nd story soffits. They wake me at dawn.

My pear tree needs to be chopped down because half of it split off after a heavy snowfall.

My husband insisted in a pool when his son was young. Nobody uses it, but it has to be opened and maintained & dead things pulled out of it.

Chipmunks have burrowed under my decks, porch, shed and outdoor basement stairway. Rabbits, too.

My driveway has to be maintained. It's 300 ft long. In winter, that means plowing.

My neighbors are assholes from Brooklyn who don't take care of their property. It's weedy, ugly, disgusting & they put in a pool last summer and didn't landscape at all. Just left pikes of dirt all over the back yard. No grass....dirt. The front yard had a boat, a pod and a weedy pebble driveway. Starting Memorial Day, the giant black Escalades will be driving in and out of the shared driveway all day and night.

I dream of the NYC condo my husband insisted we had to sell.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2019 3:18 AM

I understand, R45. I have a few ideas. It's certainly not one of the ugly McMansions you see sprouting in the suburbs all the time. It's a fairly simple Colonial, with good proportions and a classic Palladian window done well. It needs a simple front portico with a copper roof, maybe some copper gutters. Working shutters. It's not showy, but if you think it's ticky tacky, so be it.

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2019 3:21 AM

R43 Physically, yes.

But emotionally, as in happy with my life there? No.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2019 3:24 AM

R46, how long have you been there? It may be time to go back to the city, you don't seem happy. Is the husband still happy?

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2019 3:25 AM

Listen to the whiners here. I've lived and worked in Manhattan all of my life. Years ago, four people I worked with commuted long distances every day, One of them from Connecticut, another from upstate NY, one from Westchester and another was out somewhere on Long Island, think it was Bluepoint or further out. One ended up working from home, she's still at the company, close to 25 years.

There's lots to think about. Are you still young enough to not be exhausted by the commute? Do you have the type of job where you can eventually work from home? Can you buy it right now, then rent it to cover the mortgage?

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2019 3:29 AM

It's a beautiful house, OP. It would be too big for me. I'm in a 2,000 sq ft house (two of us) and it's plenty big. I have a gardener because maintaining the yard became too much. The equity we've built far, far outweighs the amount we've spent on maintenance.

If you're ready to leave the city but are not sure about this place take your time looking for things that would be a better fit. Maybe smaller and closer in, for example. That's a long commute even for two or three days a week, it wouldn't give you much time to do anything in the city while you're there unless you stay over night sometimes.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2019 3:42 AM

The part of the commute I know I'll hate is the 30 minutes to the station. Other than that, you can sleep, read whatever. I'm young enough to know this is either the best idea I've had fall into my lap, or maybe a very bad idea. I think the house is undervalued considerably because it's not move in ready for Gen Z looking for the move up house. The neighborhood, while older, usually commands at least 550-600k and this is MUCH less. So, if I can work on it, and spend my cash on the house instead of say, vacations, I'll be getting something tangible. Yeah, if you read the original post, I only have to commute a few days a week, and maybe I can change that. My lease happens to be up in July, so I can probably make a dual closing work. I probably should stop looking at Pinterest and Houzz for house ideas and concentrate on the numbers, etc. Totally hear you, R51. Biggest risk I've ever thought about taking.

by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2019 3:44 AM

I'm 50/50 OP. Its a lovely setting and I like the simple exterior, but I'm tainted as I am in the process of selling my home and downscaling and its been nerve wracking! R46 has valid points. Good luck

by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2019 3:48 AM

If you look at it as a flip it might work, OP. Update it so that you'll make a profit if you decide to sell. Have that experience, I've done it twice, and you'll learn a lot of really useful skills. You may love it when you're done or you may sell and buy something that's a better fit.

I say I've done two, one is an investment (I have tenants) the other was an elderly relative's home we sold. Both were time-consuming headaches but worth it in the end. Expect everything to take longer and cost more. The investment is more than financial, it can also be very emotional. Actually, in retrospect, both had their nightmare aspects but I toughed it out and now projects on my own home don't seem so overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2019 3:53 AM

R54, I don't have the cash to lay out to flip it. I'm guessing it would take a few years to renovate this one. I have a ton of ideas already, and it will take some money. I think 80-100k into it would yield a nice profit. But that will be a bit piecemeal. I don't mind though, I've lived in some crappy places. This, even pre renovation is kind of a palace to me. The goddamn family room is 25 x 25 with a two story fireplace,

by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2019 4:02 AM

OP that’s a LOT of house for a single person. Why would 3000 SF appeal to you? I don’t understand how rattling around in a big old house like that be something you’d want. And do you have any idea how much time and energy keeping up that acre yard would entail? Just the mowing alone for starters, then there’s all the weeding, pruning, mulching etc. etc. You’d be a slave to the place.

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2019 4:03 AM

I said it a bit earlier, and I know it will sound silly to some. But it feels like if I can buy this house and make it look good, I've made it somehow? The American Dream doesn't feel like my apartment.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2019 4:07 AM

Do not make a rushed decision. Have you talked to neighbors? Do you love the town? I'm all for dramatic life changes - I've done similar three times! Take everyone's advice and get the inspections. If you are interested, make an offer minus the "issues" (there's always stuff). Make sure you have enough money/credit immediately ready after closing, because repairs are expensive and old systems are unpredictable.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2019 4:17 AM

OP it does sound like you need a change in your life, and this may be it. Is your apartment now small, if so I can see this house being very appealing. Is the town it’s in compelling, beautiful, charming? Can you see yourself being happy there, and not lonely? There’s a lot to think about. My house is from 1925, and there are always issues, but you can still pay a neighborhood kid to cut your grass. I never regret not paying rent.

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2019 4:21 AM

That's a big house to clean. And a large yard.

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2019 4:21 AM

I've been a little seduced by the size. My apartment is 3 rooms. This is 10. The downstairs is AMAZING Did I tell you 2 fireplaces?. Ok, I've had a few drinks and am getting a little crazy with what I could do with the house. Do i need 4 bedrooms, no. But I think it's still a worthy investment. I will recalibrate in the morning, I can pay for some things to be outsourced, From what I understand the landscaping people are really reasonable. I'd have to figure out if I needed someone to help clean. Probably. House husband applications will be be accepted shortly,

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2019 4:29 AM

Watch "George Washington Slept Here."

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2019 4:51 AM

You can always get roommates in a house that size. It will help pay the mortgage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2019 4:53 AM

Damn, R63, Maybe I don't need a house husband. Just a gaggle of Golden Boys. Bravo, if you're watching, I'll be patenting the idea in the morning. Storyboards to follow.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2019 4:56 AM

It sounds like you really want it, OP. I don't see what you have to lose, if the appraisal turns out to be more than what you would pay.

Would they include the furniture and would you want them to?

You didn't mention property taxes; you need to factor that in. Re heating and air con - you can close off rooms you don't use. If the house is double glazed, you will save a lot on heating. Work in the cost of gardening and snow shoveling unless you enjoy that kind of thing. I agree you'll make friends on the train and also get work done.

Good luck with your decision.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2019 5:07 AM

Can you tell us what town it’s in, OP? 30 minutes from the station sounds like a lot, but only going into town twice a week isn’t so bad. It’s going to cost a fortune to heat that thing, though.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2019 5:11 AM

There are actually some really nice antiques that may be worth something. I thought about saying, just leave it all, since I don't have much. I think my friend just wants it out of her life. It's free money to her. Taxes and mortgage are a little less than my monthly rent check. It's about 9k for taxes which is cheap for a house this size in the Northeast. Or at least the Tri-state. The drive is far. R66, I'd rather not say the town until I make my decision. It's just outside Fairfield County, which is why it's such a bargain.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2019 5:17 AM

OP, although you only go into your office 2-3x a week, what do you do the rest of the time? Visit friends, go to movies or the theatre, shop for things other than food, go to bars or restaurants, go to the gym, go to classes or lectures? You'll be giving all that up. The suburbs can be very lonely, especially if you don't have kids that involve you with others. You have to really make the effort or you'll be isolated.

On the other hand, you'll also be giving up the nasty aspects of living in a large city - safety risks, dirt, noise, public transport, crazy people.

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2019 5:19 AM

It could be like I Love Lucy when she moved to Connecticut only with gay roommates instead of Ricky. Fred and Ethyl in and out, chickens on the furniture, putting on performances in the local theater.

Or like Doris Day in Please Don't Eat the Daisies with legions of twinks as roommates helping you remodel.

Buy it! You'll have a blast!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2019 5:24 AM

Man, would I love that, R66. I work from home and am basically on the phone all day. I only need to meet with my team occasionally. The town I would be moving to is small, but I can get out quickly enough. It's got a movie theatre, some good restaurants, and better ones a bit of a drive. It s only around 15k. The general area a little north has been dubbed the Anti-Hamptons.. Lots of big money and celebs. Kind of a cool area,

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2019 5:28 AM

Do NOT move to CT. The state is practically bankrupt. More people are leaving than moving in. Job market has been virtually flat for the last 10 years. Unless you are getting this house for s STEAL (and I mean STEAL) don't do it. It is a buyer's market right now so you might want to shop around unless this house is dirt cheap. Taxes keep going up and, unless you are on the train line that includes Stamford, Darien, Norwalk, etc. the commute will be awful (it still is long from those towns but more direct). If you live in a town where everyone is a stay at home mommy you will never meet anyone, especially if you work. And you will miss the energy of the city. You will have to drive everywhere and you will gain weight from not walking like you do in the city. Good luck though!

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2019 5:30 AM

R67 oh THAT house. Go for it!

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2019 5:30 AM

Sigh. You're boring, troll. Thanks for showing up though.

by Anonymousreply 73May 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Follow your heart OP. Is there anyway you could afford both? A place in the city and one in you country?

by Anonymousreply 74May 15, 2019 5:40 AM

Ha, I probably could if I shared a shoebox in Queens. No offense to Queens, I just don't see how I realistically could afford both if I want to start working on the house. Again, house husband applications being accepted. If I had a secondary income, that would be doable.

by Anonymousreply 75May 15, 2019 5:44 AM

Between the commute and the size of the home and land and the fact you'll be the sole owner, pretty much every spare moment you have will be spent maintaining your property. If you don't mind that, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 76May 15, 2019 6:01 AM

OP, since you do seem to be leaning towards buying the house and others have already mentioned the disadvantages, I will say that the commute might not be that bad. A few years ago, I also had a 1.5 hour commute and was able to pass the time pretty easily with NPR, podcasts and books on tape. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 77May 15, 2019 6:07 AM

Do it, OP. It is my fantasy to do the same, but paying NYC rent it is taking a long time to save up money to buy in the 'burbs. If you don't have to do the commute every day it will be worth it. I recommend you look at the commute from Croton-Harmon to Manhattan. Colleagues upstate use that station and try to get the express. The key is figuring out parking.

by Anonymousreply 78May 15, 2019 6:20 AM

OP, why don't you take r78 on as a roommate?

by Anonymousreply 79May 15, 2019 6:23 AM

OP, it seems like you have something to prove to someone or to yourself that "you've made it." To b honest, the house is not very impressive aesthetically - it looks like a cheaply made 80's home. At first I was picturing something amazing and one of a kind like the home in The Money Pit. You've made the house husband joke a lot. Do you think this home will attract a man? If the house is mediocre and the neighborhood is prestigious adjacent, I just don't see the point. You have to do what makes you happy. Just make sure this isn't a mid life crisis or some desperate attempt to land a man. Once you leave the city, it's hard to go back and that house doesn't look like a quick sale in a pinch type of property, Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 80May 15, 2019 6:43 AM

Is the house near a University? A single friend has a large house on acreage near 3 large universities Every school term he rents rooms to responsible male students and he's managed to create a nice environment that generates about 40k a year.

by Anonymousreply 81May 15, 2019 6:57 AM

What are the property taxes?

by Anonymousreply 82May 15, 2019 7:08 AM

The thing that doesn't make sense is, why do you think you are getting this house below market value? Surely the RE agent has indicated a likely sale price. All you would be getting is a commission-free price. I get why you want to buy your own property, but the drawbacks pointed out by others, and the unsuitability to your needs, ie size of house and grounds, 30 min drive to station including in bad weather, make this house a bad fit for you. By all means, use your rental money to buy a property, but find something that is a better match for your needs and resources.

by Anonymousreply 83May 15, 2019 7:16 AM

Just bought a house over a year ago on an acre. I didn't think we would have to do much because it's all natural vegetation and the grass area in the backyard was just a small patch. WRONG! Turns out this area is a pack rat haven. All that beautiful natural landscape had to be removed to get rid of the pack rat homes, after they were trapped and taken away. Those little bastards got under the hood of two of our vehicles and caused a couple hundred in damages.

I hope the home you are looking at doesn't have a rodent or squirrel problem. Also, those trees are kind of close to the house. They might cause problems with your foundation or utility or sewer lines. A huge two story house is way too much for one person to take care of. All that wood, definitely get a termite inspection

by Anonymousreply 84May 15, 2019 7:28 AM

Turns out young shirtless college guys generally are great gardeners.

by Anonymousreply 85May 15, 2019 7:35 AM

Buy it. It's beautiful. Quit throwing away rent.

by Anonymousreply 86May 15, 2019 7:36 AM

I was in the same situation OP as far as the commute. I use to have a 2 1/2 hour drive in 3 days a week and let me tell you : It's the 3rd day that kills you. See if you can get the commute down to only 2 days per week.

by Anonymousreply 87May 15, 2019 7:42 AM

It sounds like a real money pit comes to life and everyone is saying no, but OP will be a dumb bitch and buy it anyway. OP will whack himself in it.

by Anonymousreply 88May 15, 2019 8:24 AM

YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY HATE IT, OP. BTW what is the address and the asking price.

by Anonymousreply 89May 15, 2019 8:35 AM

I say do it. From all you write, the house sounds just what you need in your life right now. If you find yourself overwhelmed, or that country life just isn't for you, you can always sell. I wish you well and hope you will keep us posted!

by Anonymousreply 90May 15, 2019 8:37 AM

[quote]Turns out this area is a pack rat haven. All that beautiful natural landscape had to be removed to get rid of the pack rat homes, after they were trapped and taken away. Those little bastards got under the hood of two of our vehicles and caused a couple hundred in damages.

There's an actual rodent called a "pack rat"? I did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 91May 15, 2019 9:50 AM

OP deserves the house. Richly.

by Anonymousreply 92May 15, 2019 9:54 AM

Well aren't you just as proud as you imagined, R92.

by Anonymousreply 93May 15, 2019 10:08 AM

OP "jokes" about needing a husband - I think he should find the husband first. To do all this on his own sounds too lonely and tough.

These sorts of projects are tough enough when you're a couple, but on your own, in the middle of nowhere and having to deal with all the people you'll have to deal with to pull it all together will be too awful.

In no time OP will be on the booze and dope and then he'll go crawling back to old Broadway - well Broadway doesn't go for booze and dope.

by Anonymousreply 94May 15, 2019 10:17 AM

[quote]It's a Colonial from the 80's.

The 1880s?

by Anonymousreply 95May 15, 2019 10:22 AM

OP you said you work from home a lot, I do too and I know that I could get very lonely in a large house in the country by myself. I'd miss just being able to go out and grab and a coffee at a cafe nearby or go shopping down the road and have other people around. It may be that this house is very close to a bustling village/small town of shops and bars etc. that you could pop to if needs be? but I'd think about what it might be like in the winter when it's dark a lot or you don't feel up to going out etc.

Just saying that you need to imagine the times when you probably will feel lonely or miss things and then decide if the trade-off for what you gain is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 96May 15, 2019 10:28 AM

Are you prepared to buy a gun to protect your home in case of burglary? Feminine guys living alone out in the country are easy targets.

by Anonymousreply 97May 15, 2019 10:34 AM

God, dont saddle yourself with this huge place unless you're planning to have kids somehow. Buy a nice spacious townhouse somewhere on a transit line with resale value and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 98May 15, 2019 10:38 AM

Heating bills in the winter will bankrupt you as will the AC bills in the summer. There is always something that will need to be repaired or upgraded.The long commute to NYC will destroy your soul. Houses are money pits. Wouldn't you be better off buying a 2 br/bth condo in or closer to the city if you want more space?

by Anonymousreply 99May 15, 2019 10:41 AM

I can see why OP might have been tempted, suddenly he sees what might, on paper, seem like a pretty good deal and has all sorts of (American) dreams - but the reality ain't pretty.

Not for a single man...even if OP has tons of dough to make the going easier.

by Anonymousreply 100May 15, 2019 11:14 AM

If you move away from the city, your new home should be in a small town or very near one. It will also help if you are financially well off and have a full time if not live in housekeeper or houseboy, even. You do not want to commute 1.5-2 hours to arrive to an empty house in the boondocks .

by Anonymousreply 101May 15, 2019 11:17 AM

Someone else mentioned heating (and A/C) costs. You should ask to see those bills for the last couple of years.

Also, another thing to be wary of is asbestos. Be sure the home inspector you hire is qualified enough to recognize asbestos. Dealing with and/or removing it can be expensive and requires great care.

by Anonymousreply 102May 15, 2019 12:02 PM

R102

Asbestos (and lead paint) were gone from US new builds by the 1970s.

Lots of issues here but asbestos isn’t one of them.

by Anonymousreply 103May 15, 2019 12:41 PM

Why not OP? You only live once.

by Anonymousreply 104May 15, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote]Why not OP? You only live once.

You don't actually, but that's not the point.

OP needs to come up with a more workable plan.

by Anonymousreply 105May 15, 2019 4:28 PM

OP, I totally Agree with R10 and R86 Left Manhattan for a lovely, friendly and commutable NYC suburb until r kids go to college Suburbs can be lovely and people r friendlier, but it’s isolating especially in the winter and a house requires a lot more upkeep and management than any apartment ever does

by Anonymousreply 106May 15, 2019 4:44 PM

[quote]until r kids go to college

[quote]people r friendlier

Who cares what someone who types "r" instead of "our" and "are" thinks?

by Anonymousreply 107May 15, 2019 4:56 PM

Yeah, what the fuck is that, R106? Do better.

by Anonymousreply 108May 15, 2019 4:59 PM

What town OP? Some towns in CT you will never make your money back they have gluts of unsold homes. Commuting to nyc is a bitch if you are farther north than wilton or east of fairfield.

Your 30 min drive to the station doesn't include finding train station parking, & waiting lists are years long fyi. And be sure to budget the train ticket costs.

If you can work from home one Day a week that would make it more attractive. The house looks early 90s to me.

by Anonymousreply 109May 15, 2019 4:59 PM

OP did the parents die in the house, is it haunted?

by Anonymousreply 110May 15, 2019 5:24 PM

Don't do it. That house looks remote and you'll go stir crazy when trapped by 24" of snow. 90 min commute is wearing; even if for one day a week. Social like will require too much planning and plotting. Only do this if: you have a lot of disposable income necessary for home ownership/maintenance; you're good spending a lot of time alone; and a very slow pace of life appeals to you.

by Anonymousreply 111May 15, 2019 6:10 PM

No Brit at R95 needs to be laughing but we know, as the moderators red tags will announce: a bitter disenfranchised black ghetto troll out of...Journal Square, NJ

😂😅😧😵

by Anonymousreply 112May 15, 2019 6:29 PM

Make sure things like gardening tools, home improvement tools, etc., stay with the house. That stuff is expensive. It will help you if all of that is already there.

by Anonymousreply 113May 15, 2019 6:30 PM

OP, every piece of expensive clothing I don't wear I bought it on sale because "it was a great deal", I thought, and not because I really wanted or needed it.

by Anonymousreply 114May 15, 2019 6:33 PM

Also, you can always tell the real deal when they factor in property taxes. Usually works out to $800 per month, all told. This what property owners know. Not renters from ghetto childhoods who talk a lot of shit on here & always get called out.

Property taxes are astronomical in the better neighborhoods. That's why those and their ilk don't get it. We also maintain our properties so ghetto kids don't get any ideas. Kept up so you will understand you don't belong here. Our taxes aren't bled from us to educate YOUR ilk on our dime.

by Anonymousreply 115May 15, 2019 6:36 PM

You certainly are presumptous, R115, You've also failed your reading comprehension about taxes as well. I said clearly in my first post that the taxes and mortgage would be slightly less than my rent. Factoring in homeowner's insurance it's basically even. In any case, thanks for all the responses. I know most of you are saying don't buy this place, I'm still drawn to it. I plan on taking tomorrow off and going out to see the place again before I make a decision.

Beyond what I'll need for the deposit and down payment, I expect I'll have a little over 35k to do initial renovations. I know realistically that that won't go too far. My friend said that beyond a few sentimental pieces, I'm welcome to whatever else I want. Not 100% on if she wants payment for that or not. So there you have it. It's certainly more daunting in the light of day, but it still seems like an exciting prospect. As for those that mentioned me getting a man, well--I was joking about the house husband applications. I turned on Grindr out there last time out of curiosity, and there seemed like a number of guys out there, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 116May 15, 2019 7:18 PM

Take the time to check comparable properties please. Start googling now. It might be a white elephant, you might be stuck.

by Anonymousreply 117May 15, 2019 7:35 PM

No, the furniture that she doesn't want is free. Hauling it away and storing it is money that she doesn't want to spend. Make no offer, just say thank you. You're doing her the favor.

Outsource everything during the first few years so that you're not overwhelmed. Little by little, you can learn to do some basic plumbing, electrical, painting, gardening etc if you want to. Introduce yourself to the neighbors and get numbers for the local trades people including a good house cleaner.

Good luck, I'm very jealous of your fireplace(s).

by Anonymousreply 118May 15, 2019 7:38 PM

OP, this particular house planted a seed but you don't have to go with this particular house. It's a bad idea because it's through a friend and because it's a 3-hour commute to a house that will be hard to maintain. Start looking closer to home. Look at condos in Queens (not the same but you might find a larger apartment that is a stepping stone to a house) or look at a house closer than that one. Or in (forgive me) Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 119May 15, 2019 7:42 PM

r116 Getting kinda snotty OP, especially when asking us for our opinion. Buy the house if you want, but don't get shitty if you don't care for the requested input. [italic] Asshole. [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 120May 15, 2019 7:43 PM

OP has already made up his mind and is building castles in the sky but here goes...

You should take the 15 or 20 hours you’re going to be spending commuting and the 8 or 10 hours a week you’re going to spend maintaining house and yard and get a part time job in the city so that you can afford something more suitable and closer than this place.

You should also know that this will likely ruin your friendship. Every problem and unexpected repair to something you thought was sound when you bought the property will cause you to blame her. It’s happened to me. You say you won’t, but you will.

by Anonymousreply 121May 15, 2019 7:44 PM

Also, don’t assume she’s going to give you all the furniture. Why would she give you furniture, unless it’s complete junk, when she could call a charity thrift shop and have them come and get it and take the donation as a deduction against the profit from the sale of the house?

by Anonymousreply 122May 15, 2019 7:46 PM

R119 I like this advice, but maybe a drastic change is just what OP wants/needs.

R120 Well, OP has had to answer the same question a zillion times already.

R121 "You should also know that this will likely ruin your friendship" - so true, but OP says she's a "family friend" so maybe it it's not that personal.

by Anonymousreply 123May 15, 2019 7:48 PM

It sounds like you’re buying it. If you do, don’t wait until it’s a show piece before you invite guests. You’ll get lonely and lose touch with your friends. You have plenty of room for overnight guests. I have friends who have a big News Years Eve party every year and everyone sleeps over. Most city people like to go someplace calm every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 124May 15, 2019 8:37 PM

I live in the country in a large house on acreage so I perfectly understand the pull, OP.

Winter is the most challenging time of the year in terms of work. Keeping the house warm, ensuring water pipes don't break, clearing the driveway of snow (i bought a Bobcat) then salting it so its not an ice rink. All doable once one learns what works.

Does this house have a garage? An out building for tools and garden equipment?

I don't understand all this talk of loneliness. Never an issue for me. There are plenty of activities in these areas as well. Many ways to meet interesting people. There will be gays. We're every where.

Having a larger house means I have room to paint, sculpt, I have a music room for instruments. I can have large outdoor parties. I equate all this with freedom whereas the city has become oppressive. What I don't have, however, is the long commute. I couldn't do it but maybe you're up to it

Have you owned a house in the past, OP?

by Anonymousreply 125May 15, 2019 9:03 PM

No no no

by Anonymousreply 126May 15, 2019 9:22 PM

Wouldn't it be great if OP did a VLOG (a la Joel & Lia)? We'd all follow. Make comments.

Wouldn't it be great?

Hailing a cab. OP getting on the train. Going to see the house - all in exquisite detail.

We'd have the best time!

by Anonymousreply 127May 15, 2019 9:25 PM

The minute he starts selling goat milk soap, I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 128May 15, 2019 9:28 PM

OP, I did it 10 years ago. When the market crashed, I was finally in a position to buy something in NYC and was very discouraged with what I was finding within my budget. I mentioned it to my dad, and he said, you know, that kind of money would buy you a really nice place in XX, the suburb where I grew up. I dismissed the thought but it kept coming back. I started looking and made a couple of trips up to my hometown and surrounding areas just to check the vibe (hadn't spent much time there in about 20 years).

I bought a mid-Century modern house on 2 acres that needed complete cosmetic makeover for kitchen and bathrooms, plus new windows. Hardwood floors beautifully preserved under wall-to-wall, new roof, new furnace, new washer and dryer. I sunk my whole budget into it, and it took me about three years of remodeling. A lot of DIY out of economic necessity especially in the beginning. Amazing what you can figure out how to do with YouTube on a limited budget.

I found that I have a bit of a green thumb and really enjoy working in the garden. I had a pool and hot tub put in a few years ago. On the weekends I rarely want to leave my house. I've found Zen.

I was doing a reverse commute, not quite as long as you'd be facing. It was a 15 minute drive to the train, 5 minute walk to the station, 50 minute train, and 10 minute walk to my office. I actually didn't mind it, but the trains ran less frequently in the evenings and if I missed one, wasted a lot of time waiting around for the next one. That was frustrating. I eventually changed jobs and now have a 15 minute drive to work.

Most of my friends are still in NYC and I have people up, especially in the summer, a lot. I'm probably more social now that I was 10 years ago, and everyone loves coming here because it's like a mini-vacation for them.

by Anonymousreply 129May 15, 2019 9:30 PM

Yes, 128, and he needs an angora bunny so he can hold it in his lap as he spins the bunny wool then knits pretty hats and scarves to sell at country fairs.

And put a sign up in the yard, "Bunny hats and goat soap 4 sale"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 15, 2019 9:33 PM

That's wonderful, R129.

by Anonymousreply 131May 15, 2019 9:34 PM

I’m afraid you could get raped out there. Please don’t do it.

by Anonymousreply 132May 15, 2019 9:36 PM

Hi, R125, No, I have not owned a house before. But I grew up in a house and helped my Dad do stuff from time to time. Still help him actually, so I would say I am somewhat handy. Yep, there is a large 2 car garage with workshop under the family room that's on the right side of the house. I remember seeing a shed on the property as well. The town isn't isolated, it's only about 15k people, but there are similar towns all around. It's also about 45 minutes to New Haven. So, it's certainly not the boonies.

I don't see the relationship with my friend becoming strained. She's said clearly that the house needs a lot. She's also pretty well off and really doesn't seem to care about the stuff in the house. What I see is all cosmetic. No one apparently wants to buy a house anymore if it's not in completely renovated condition. As I believe I said before, from what I've looked up, comparable homes sell for a minimum of $500k to about 600k, and new construction is more. The Realtor has priced the property at 130k under the low value simply because that's what she estimates what it will take to get it up to snuff. I think that's pretty high, but again--I could be wrong.

What's a VLOG, and I promise no goat soap! I ain't Josh, lol.

by Anonymousreply 133May 15, 2019 9:39 PM

This is Joel & Lia's VLOG. Live now. They video log everything.

(some idiot will SHOUT AT ME for linking this - and accuse me of all sorts)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134May 15, 2019 9:44 PM

In regards to your apartment in the city would you be giving up anything by leaving it? I mean is it super cheap anything like that?

by Anonymousreply 135May 15, 2019 9:44 PM

So basically you take your video camera with you to see the house and then post it on youtube, OP. That's a VLOG.

by Anonymousreply 136May 15, 2019 9:45 PM

Arrogant Brits!

by Anonymousreply 137May 15, 2019 10:11 PM

This will end in tears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 15, 2019 10:15 PM

It's a little large for one person, OP, both from an environmental standpoint and a financial one, no matter your means. My partner and I have a modest 1600 sq ft home in the city, and a modest 1300 sq ft home in the country, and for two people they are just about ideal. We'd like more room in the country some day because it's fun to have a few couples stay at one time for the weekend. But other than having one more bed and bath in the country, we need no more space.

by Anonymousreply 139May 15, 2019 10:20 PM

I dont know if you own or rent your NYC apt? If you rent and it will be forever until you can afford an efficency somewhere to buy in NYC, Id say consider this house. But IM a little leery of why they would be selling it at a.......... just get rid of it price? Most people call a realtor and list at market value and get a realtors input. Also if you do buy it below market.... eventually your family friend and the rest of that family may resent that you got the house under market value. Additionally there may be some last minute blowback from the family when it comes time to sell and the price.............be prepared for some drama here and also be prepared to walk away. Also be prepared to lose the friendship.

I hope the house is an easy train ride into the city. If you work in town 3 days a week you can still take advantage of bars, restaurants, and gyms etc and other things around and your friends in NYC after work before you take the last train home. If it was a 5 day a week commute I would say no.......3 might be workable.

by Anonymousreply 140May 15, 2019 10:58 PM

The Joel and Lia troll is so odd.

by Anonymousreply 141May 15, 2019 11:08 PM

R141, please tell me which post you're referring to? I'm curious!

by Anonymousreply 142May 15, 2019 11:10 PM

OP, would your friend let you live there for a week or two, providing you can do your work there? Then at least you can test the commute in nice weather.

by Anonymousreply 143May 15, 2019 11:37 PM

I'm sure she would, R143. But, the house only has electricity hooked up. No internet, cable or phone. I couldn't do work there without them. R140, if you see my post at R133, the Realtor has set the price at what she believes to be market value. It's low because the house hasn't been touched since 1989. Old kitchen and baths and decor. These are all things I can likely tackle over some time. I rent in the city, so there that. It's at market rate, @2400 a month. No loss giving it up. It's nice enough, but I don't love it. I talked to my boss today, and he seems to think I could definitely do two days a week in the city, maybe even one. I just floated the idea, absolutely nothing definite.

So, we shall see what I think tomorrow, and if it's really worth moving forward. I'm trying to be as practical as possible, but also open to a new life.

by Anonymousreply 144May 16, 2019 12:13 AM

I'm excited for you, OP. I have the sense you're about to embark on an adventure.

by Anonymousreply 145May 16, 2019 12:20 AM

How do you even furnish a 25 x 25 room? I may have to find out. My whole apartment isn't too much bigger than this, lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 16, 2019 12:45 AM

"It's a little large for one person, OP, both from an environmental standpoint and a financial one, no matter your means. "

Gird your loins. Al Gore has weighed in.

by Anonymousreply 147May 16, 2019 9:59 AM

[quote]I'm sure she would, [R143]. But, the house only has electricity hooked up. No internet, cable or phone.

Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 148May 16, 2019 10:13 AM

If the mortgage, insurance, and property tax already stretch your budget, you won't have any money to put toward improvements and repairs. When you own, you can't call the super to magically fix things free of charge.

by Anonymousreply 149May 16, 2019 10:24 AM

Like it or not, R71 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 150May 16, 2019 10:56 AM

OP up thread I think you said the mortgage, insurance, and property taxes were less than you are paying in rent, be prepared to spend an additional $500-700 a month for house repairs and general maintenance. You won't spend this on an even monthly basis but one or two repairs costs averaged out will come out to this. I had a long commute for a few years similar to what you would be doing, one of the things I thought about is all the things I would prefer to be doing with that time spent on the train. I won't tell you about the agony during bad weather and the train was delayed or cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 151May 16, 2019 11:08 AM

Lawn care---don't forget this aspect. It includes also (probably the same company's) driveway snow removal. Gardening. Furnishing the inside. Grocery shopping. Believe me, you will become grateful for Amazon!

But having lived in an apartment, an urban row-home, a new 4-BR townhouse, and built my current suburban 4-BR house with an imminent extremely expensive deck and patio project, I can say: I will never, unless totally incapacitated, live again with shared walls.

But then, my longest commute by car was a half-hour, and only 20 minutes from my house.

The key thing, though, is ownership. You get no profit from an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 152May 16, 2019 11:35 AM

I honestly think that (i) you're delusional that $100k in the NE will accomplish much, or (ii) it's going to be home depot or Ikea.

It sounds like the renovations are going to be a stretch for you, so why put yourself through it? We just re-did our 1925 tudor-style house in NYC and it cost a little over $1m over 2 years-- everything is crazy expensive here.

Also, your first comment about thinking "you've made it" is really immature- at some point in life you feel good about yourself and your successes without caring what anyone else thinks- you care, and that's not a reason to buy a house.

by Anonymousreply 153May 16, 2019 12:03 PM

I agree with R153. I live in a 1926 home and we redecorated, poured a new driveway, landscaped (which the house you posted badly needs), and made on-going repairs over the past 8 years. We've spent more than $500,000 and this was in Ohio. Unless you have limitless cash, don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 154May 16, 2019 12:22 PM

[quote]So, this just happened.

Are you trying to sound like an idiot?

by Anonymousreply 155May 16, 2019 12:25 PM

The Piano Nobile in a venetian palazzo is a very large room that often feels sparsely furnished. It is relaxing, however, due to the details of the surface treatments. A large boring room in an American box house needs fine surface treatments but very few people have the flair to figure it out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 16, 2019 12:40 PM

OP, fine we've talked strategy, not saying anything until you see it, etc. and we've talked commute, but let's think about your daily life in an NYC apartment, and certain things you take for granted now that will not be possible if you move to Connecticut.

Do you do things spur of the moment? Impulsively? Like deciding at the last minute to walk some where to get something? Do you food shop? Or call for delivery? Laundry? Dry cleaning? What I'm getting at is that the conduct of your daily life will change dramatically. It'll take getting used to.

You will definitely be more isolated. Working from home is great....knowing the whole world is right outside your door. How often do you see friends? Go to the park, the movies, a museum, etc.? All I'm saying is think about your daily life and how you interact with your environment right now.

An old friend told me once that NYC was " a very inconvenient city!" It is. So weigh the pluses and minuses of the two lifestyles. compare contrast, and be realistic. The romance of moving needs to be leavened with reality. Having said that, IMO.....I would go for it!

Also, find out about the area where the house is located. Neighbors, crime, are there any local plans for development that would affect quality of life? What about schools? How close are they? Are they good schools? Because property values are affected by the quality of the schools whether you have kids or not.

And start reading up (You Tube videos are a must!) On basic home maintenance issues, like plumbing problems, changing furnace filters, etc. Get informed is all I'm saying. And you know what? Why not propose, after you've seen the house, propose to your friend that you spend a few nights or weekends at the house, to "help out."

Also think about this. Commuting is one thing. But where are the stores? Do you have to get in the car and drive some distance to find a supermarket, go to the movies, pharmacy, the Mall, Home Depot, decent restaurants? etc? Because you are now going to be car dependent. Not a problem if you don't mind but some people do.

by Anonymousreply 157May 16, 2019 1:03 PM

I wouldn't rush into buying this particular house OP, but do some research into your options. Northern NJ is nice too, I live in Morrison county on the midtown direct line and it's lovely. A condo ot townhome in somewhere like Jersey City or Hoboken is an option as well. Give it a lot of thought because a house can be a pain in the arse to maintain.

by Anonymousreply 158May 16, 2019 1:15 PM

^ Morris county.

by Anonymousreply 159May 16, 2019 1:16 PM

OP I think you want change and that's good. I also think you might get a great deal on a 3,000 sf house that comes with an acre of land. But as R158 suggests, weigh all options. I think the are the house is located in is important.

by Anonymousreply 160May 16, 2019 1:27 PM

Morris county is nice. North Jersey really nice, lots of amenities.

by Anonymousreply 161May 16, 2019 4:13 PM

If it feels right and exciting just do it. If there's a nagging hesitation pass on this one and devote the next year to finding the right house.

by Anonymousreply 162May 16, 2019 4:22 PM

Go for it OP. I wouldn't do a long commute, but that's just me. It's exciting to buy and fix up a house. I've done it several times and always made great money as well. Now I'm in my ideal place.

One thing I would suggest is to look at some of the nearby homes for sale, so you can gauge what is needed and make sure you conform to the area with your improvements.

Also, if you can afford it I would have the entire interior painted in a neutral color (you can easily change that later). Painting is really intrusive once you're in a place. Flooring as well.

by Anonymousreply 163May 16, 2019 4:35 PM

R116/OP, wasn't even thinking about you in my post. Wishing you happiness whichever way your wind blows.

by Anonymousreply 164May 16, 2019 5:43 PM

OP, after reading this long thread, I've decided this is completely the wrong place for you. The reasons are numerous - the upgrades needed, the long commute, the geographic area (climate), the isolation, your single status, the size of both the house and the lot leading to high maintenance costs, the state of the RE market in that area, and your motivation for doing it.

But it sounds like you are ready to make a change and I hope you find the right one.

by Anonymousreply 165May 16, 2019 5:50 PM

R148, unlimited data plan on phone. Nobody landlines or cables anymore Only old people.

by Anonymousreply 166May 16, 2019 5:53 PM

Ill just say this... I have a 3/2 brick ranch on 1 1/2 acres that Ive owned for 18 years. I bought it when I was 40,mainly because of the gorgeous Florida style yard. As Ive aged and health issues cropped up,what used to be a joy has now become a burden. I used to love working in the yard,and doing home repair projects but since Ive had to start doing less because of my health,its costing me a lot more. As we speak Im researching foundation companies because when Irma came through my house sat in 2 feet of water for over a week (first time it ever flooded) and now it seems to be settling. Minimum we are talking 10-15 thousand. Irma also killed 90% of my gorgeous yard ( Im still wondering what in the hell was in that water ???) and I just dont have the desire to redo it. I looked into selling a few years ago and discovered it would take some serious remodeling to get it up to what buyers want today,so it seems Im stuck .Nope,if I had it to redo all over again,Id have bought a damn condo.

by Anonymousreply 167May 16, 2019 6:16 PM

Ok, so I rented a car this morning and got out to the house in about an hour and 20 minutes, Traffic was light, but coming into the city was pretty heavy. The house is about 10 minutes from the highway and maybe 5 from town. The Realtor met me there, and I had plenty of questions. Two things bug me about the land a little. There appears what could be an awesome view with a little tree clearing, but that's not permitted because everyone in the neighborhood owns the open space. The land slopes to the back and the agent said most families with really young kids will want more level land, but families with older or no kids won't have an issue. The plus is, it's one of the few houses set way back, so you can only see a partial view and it's almost the last house on the cul-de-sac. Interior, good news there are hardwood floors on both levels, not just the first floor. The agent recommending sanding and re-grouting the tile with a lighter grout to make it look fresher. Most of the kitchen appliances are newer, but no gas stove. You can put one in, but you need a propane tank. The cabinets are solid maple Woodmode, which apparently is a good brand. The cabinets can likely be reconfigured to make an island work. We walked the neighborhood, and she pointed out what had sold recently, not too much. Looks like people buy and stay. Met a few friendly people walking dogs.

The agent suggested a farm to table restaurant down the street for lunch, which is where I am now. Met a straight couple who are in children's book publishing. They kind of gave me the lowdown on restaurants, shopping and stuff. They commute to the city occasionally for work, but only a few times a month. He told me that they live further out in the country and come to this town for the restaurants and a particular French bakery. I have their cards and will look them up if all goes well. I told the agent i would meet her back at her office at 4:30. Gonna drive around and take in the scenery, Beautiful old houses everywhere. Ok, that's it for now. Yes I know, get a blog! That's the restaurant, below. Cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 16, 2019 7:24 PM

Oh, and OP, I just this week incurred a $2000 bill to replace a defunct water heater and to pay for the necessary clean-up.

Owning property and a house will introduce you to the financial version of Murphy's Law:

Everything will cost more than you expect.

by Anonymousreply 169May 16, 2019 7:29 PM

OP, I know the town you are talking about. It is lovely, but if you have to commute more than 2x a week you're going to hate it. Traffic getting to/from the train station will be heavy and 84 sucks in bad weather. Also check the waiting list for parking at the station. Also check out Danbury parking and schedules.

Unless you are getting an unbeatable deal on the house, I'd suggest checking out Newtown, Brookfield and Danbury. You can find a similar house/property. Newtown has a very quaint downtown, town pools, golf club, etc. Broofield and Danbury offer access to Candlewood Lake. You might even find a nice lake house that is commutable.

CT taxes are high, but nowhere near what you would pay in Westchester.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 170May 16, 2019 7:43 PM

I like this thread, it's fun and interesting. Good luck to you, OP. Even if you decide against this house you'll have the pleasure of finding a better fit. I would love to have the options you have now.

I live in an established are where values have sky-rocketed. I have great equity but inventory is tight and even smaller, less desirable houses are way too expensive. I'll sit tight for a few more years but ultimately would like to find a one story in a walking neighborhood so I can age in place.

by Anonymousreply 171May 16, 2019 7:48 PM

Agree with R171. As someone who's never lived in anything bigger than a two bedroom apartment as an adult, I'm enjoying OP's journey!

by Anonymousreply 172May 16, 2019 8:03 PM

I assume there's an HOA since you mentioned the common space rule. I will assume you have a copy of the covenants. Anything give you pause there? Watch out for owner's financial responsibilities for potential large projects - like the community switching from septic to public sewage service which happened to me once Costly as hell I loved my free septic tank And this was in the Palo Alto Hills,.

The restaurant looks charming and the area peaceful. I love the look of it. But my taste for city living died some time ago.

Is the realtor willing to give you a break on commisson fees?

by Anonymousreply 173May 16, 2019 11:51 PM

Keep us posted, OP!! We're excited for you!

by Anonymousreply 174May 17, 2019 12:46 AM

If you put a glory hole up in the suburbs you will have an army of straight husbands coming buy to dump loads going and coming from work. It's worth it.

by Anonymousreply 175May 17, 2019 12:54 AM

Tomorrow's big day if the house hits the market. Where do you stand, OP?

by Anonymousreply 176May 17, 2019 12:58 AM

Ok, so here's the update.Met with the agent and her mortgage broker. He prequalified me for an insane amount, over 500k. I asked him, shouldn't I be looking at spending 25 percent of my income on housing? He said, oh, that was back thirty years ago. Most people are spending at least 40 percent. I said, not this someone. Anyway, I put in the offer with the agent. We'll do a building inspection and also a septic and well inspection. The inspections will be sometime next week, and I'll just have the results emailed to me. An appraisal will be done by the bank to get the mortgage. I'm shooting for a July 1st close date.

I've gone on Home Advisor to get a few estimates on painting and having the floors refinished. The oak hopefully can look more natural and light than that orange look to them now. I'm getting surprisingly reasonable bids so far. The floors should be about $5k and the painting around $7500. I may try and tackle some of it myself to save, certainly I can to all the bedrooms myself. I'll skip that family room. I'd like to get quotes on doing a wood ceiling in the family room, and bulking up those beams, maybe with something antique. One of the big things I want to do is put a small portico on the front to gave it some definition, and real wood shutters. The house looks a little blank to me. Landscaping, I'm going to try and attempt. I noticed a chainsaw in the basement. There's also an older BMW wagon just sitting in the garage. I'll ask and see if that's available.

To R170 and others that suggested closer in places? As soon as I get back on the highway and travel an exit, I'm in Fairfield County. The prices jump 15-20 percent as soon as that happens. I looked to see what was closer, and there were a bunch of raised ranches that looked like Long Island to me. NJ and NY taxes are also astronomical. I asked to look at one other place in the town that this house is in--70's Cape with a gorgeous in ground pool, pool house and guest apartment. She advised me to not even look. It was less money, but almost 30 minutes to the highway. It also needed more work. I think that my 100k number for renovations really isn't far off. The house as it stands is 370k and the area supports up to about 600k for a home this size that's older but renovated. They're nice houses, but not to the level, some of the posters have talked about renovating. So there it is. I'll see if the reports come back ok, and if so, I'll be a Connecticut resident. Thanks for all the advice, I know many are skeptics, but you only live once, right? I'll update the thread if anyone is interested. Thanks again for your help, guys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 17, 2019 1:02 AM

One possibility OP is renting out a room or two as an airbnb if it's such a lovely town. It's a nice way to make some cash for maintenance and meet interesting people.

by Anonymousreply 178May 17, 2019 1:08 AM

R173, missed your post. No HOA, thankfully. Each house is fractionally deeded a portion of the open space. That was a new one to me. The realtor is giving a big break on the commission since while she is representing both of us, she didn't have to do a dime of marketing. I also get the sense she's going to be a valuable asset. i won't have to come out for any inspections, and she knows EVERYONE in town from tradespeople to the First Selectwoman, actually who we met walking the neighborhood today.

by Anonymousreply 179May 17, 2019 1:12 AM

You'll have the life of a cloistered monk. A single cloistered monk.

by Anonymousreply 180May 17, 2019 1:19 AM

Liking this story. Good luck with inspections, OP.

by Anonymousreply 181May 17, 2019 1:24 AM

R180, bitter Debbie Downer.

by Anonymousreply 182May 17, 2019 1:28 AM

Scruff will show the nearest guy being in the next town, miles away, and he'll be a ghoul in 'an open relationship'. It's always the case when you live in the middle of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 183May 17, 2019 1:33 AM

I wouldn't want it. It's too suburban.Whats your sex/social life going to be like? My het brother dragged a city woman into the country because he said there is less men around. He is the jealous type and afraid she would leave him for a rich guy if she stayed in the city. People meet their partners in the city and then drag them into the suburbs/country to preserve there relationships from outside competition. Everyone is usually partnered up in the suburbs/country and everyone is on the hunt in the city. Suburbs are gay sex deserts.

by Anonymousreply 184May 17, 2019 2:01 AM

It's not Nebraska guys, it's 80 miles out of the city. When I was out there last week, I turned on Grindr and there were a bunch of guys. Realtor also told me about a group of gay men that get together once a month for "Martini Night", I guess the restaurants change, but she told me she'd get me the email for the group. It's a countywide thing. The next town over is a more of a weekender area. It's about 20-30 minutes away. Apparently a sizable gay community, likely couples, but couples also have single friends, right? It's not like there's a bathhouse on the corner, but I don't see myself becoming a eunuch.

by Anonymousreply 185May 17, 2019 2:08 AM

Put me down in the "DO IT!" column. Home ownership is a wonderful thing, in a way that just can't be explained until you experience it. You don't have to rush into every single improvement/remodel right away - although I do agree with getting the painting/flooring done first.

It sounds to me like you a getting a very good deal, not just on price but with lots of "extras", large and small. Like any other homeowner, you might be surprised to find that some things cost less than you'd imagine, while some things cost more; some projects can be put off while others require immediate attention. And the adage "Pay someone to do it" really comes in handy, esp when it comes to lawn care/landscaping.

I know this sounds corny, but when I bought my house, it "spoke" to me; I sat in the empty living room for about half hour and asked myself honestly if I would be happy here, and my guy answer kept coming back "yes." And I have been - it is now paid off and is MINE ALL MINE. I have had no major disasters, thankfully: I did replace the roof and gutters with using a small inheritance I got from my grandma. I replaced the water heater proactively because it was old and it wasn't that expensive. I have a very reliable (and hunky and handsome) neighborhood guy who mows the grass and does some light landscaping. I have a contract with an exterminator company that sprays the house and trees for a very reasonable fee - also has a 24/7 deal where they will come out for emergencies, like if you have a bat in your attic or something (which thankfully I have never had to use for any reason); they do routine termite inspections as well with sniffing dogs. I also have maintenance contracts with a local AC/furnace company to maintain my systems, again not that expensive.

I say go for it. You couldn't pay me enough to live in shithole NYC. And you're not going to work forever, and it sounds like you have a lot of flexibility with your current job/boss, who's not going to insist you slug into the city in a major snowstorm or whatever. It looks like a very nice property to me, with a lot of privacy. TAKE THE PLUNGE. I don't think you'll be sorry, and my sense from your posts is that you are leaning that way anyway. I say take the deal, and build yourself a nice little peaceful life and future. When you're sitting in front of that fireplace, you'll be glad you did. A man's home is his castle, and yours has a lot of potential in many ways. Best of luck to you, friend!

by Anonymousreply 186May 17, 2019 2:12 AM

^ my "gut" answer, that is....

by Anonymousreply 187May 17, 2019 2:13 AM

Thanks, R186. I think you get it. I drove in the driveway, and thought wow, this is really nice, not thinking it would be a possibility to live in when I went out to help my friend. I know everyone says it's very suburban. Yes, in a way it is. But, it was done with pretty high quality when it was built. Wood siding, true divided light windows, solid wood doors and floors. No vinyl, laminate and cheap stuff so common today. I want quality and this house is.It may look plain, but it's elegant in a simple way. Once I realized it would be the same amount to live in this place as my one bedroom apartment, something said, try this. The American Dream is to own a house, not rent an apartment. This is a place I might be able to host family and friends. Cook in a huge kitchen, relax by a wood fireplace. I've thought about turning the huge formal living room into the dining room, and the dining room into a library. Then, the family room/kitchen is the main hang out. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's checked off boxes i didn't even know that I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 188May 17, 2019 2:25 AM

Two words of advice, OP: Ship Lap

by Anonymousreply 189May 17, 2019 2:28 AM

[quote]likely couples, but couples also have single friends, right?

bwhahahaha, oh my sides!

by Anonymousreply 190May 17, 2019 2:35 AM

I live in Brooklyn. It takes me 90 minutes to get to Chelsea. I've been doing it for 5 years now and I wouldn't have it any other way.

by Anonymousreply 191May 17, 2019 2:41 AM

I'm not sure why you're proud of living in the furthest reaches of Brooklyn, R191.

by Anonymousreply 192May 17, 2019 2:57 AM

Great neighborhood, great apartment. Much nicer than Manhattan these days. And it's actually central Brooklyn. You live in Ohio, don't you.

by Anonymousreply 193May 17, 2019 3:06 AM

Good luck, OP, it sounds exciting to me.

by Anonymousreply 194May 17, 2019 5:07 AM

Congrats OP! This apartment renting city dweller is excited for you.

by Anonymousreply 195May 17, 2019 8:41 AM

I just don't understand why you don't find a smaller, cheaper, home near a station closer to the city? It's not like this home is in any way perfection. I get that it's a steal for it's size, but you don't need a mini manse. Makes no sense. But the heart wants what it wants.

by Anonymousreply 196May 17, 2019 9:03 AM

Way too out of the way IMHO. I would look for something smaller near ridgefield which has much more going on.

by Anonymousreply 197May 17, 2019 10:52 AM

OP it sounds like you have done your due diligence and you are approaching this with caution. I was one of the naysayers but now I say go for it. Not everything will be to your liking but it sounds like there are enough positives for you and at this time in your life you are ready for it. 80 miles outside of NYC means at least a 2 hour commute but you can work from home so you don't need to do this more than once a week and there is aways Skype and FaceTime if you need a face to face meeting. Good luck and keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 198May 17, 2019 11:00 AM

Congrats, OP!!! I hope everything works out for you. You're doing the right thing. Remember. Unless there's an urgent need to renovate or repair immediately, take your time and get used to the space before to start any improvement projects.

by Anonymousreply 199May 17, 2019 12:22 PM

OP's going to have a wonderful Thanksgiving Housewarming Party and we're all invited. Yaay!

by Anonymousreply 200May 17, 2019 12:23 PM

$370K?!!! Take it! If you don't, I will and flip it!!!

by Anonymousreply 201May 17, 2019 1:41 PM

3 hours of commute everyday? When will you have time to enjoy your life? And will your friends visit you there? And will you be near enuf to pick up and hang with your friends? Life is way more than a house or should be.

by Anonymousreply 202May 17, 2019 2:28 PM

r202, the OP stated he wouldn't have to make the commute every day. Also, an hour train ride is no big deal. Most people work, read, watch movies or sleep on the train.

As I stated upthread at r129, I bought a house "in the country" and have never been more social in my life. My NYC friends come to me. On a typical weekend, they take the train up on a Saturday morning, there is a huge farmers market right at the train station every Saturday from April - November. They do the shopping, I pick them up, they come back to my house, we hang out and they cook dinner. Sundays we usually do things away from the house and then they are on their way home. Multiple groups of friends rotating weekends. Occasionally I have a large party, people spend the night or Uber back to the city or train station.

When I lived in NYC, I rarely hung out with friends during the week once I was out of my 20s. Work, gym, home.

by Anonymousreply 203May 17, 2019 2:48 PM

R202, it sounds like the OP's boss will let him work from home 3-4x per week. A commute that length 1-2x / week should be reasonable. I used to do a 60 mile driving commute 1x/week with traffic. It sucked but was bearable because it was only weekly. Since OP will be taking the train part of the week his commute should be better than mine was.

Most of my friends started moving out of the city in our 30s, and most of the time I had to haul my ass to suburbia if I wanted to see them. So moving to a small town might not actually impact OP's social life all that much.

by Anonymousreply 204May 17, 2019 3:20 PM

[quote]The commute will make you hate your life and everything it stands for.

I'm inclined to agree; however, I know folks who commute that distance and more every day. I couldn't do it though. I'm a lawyer and I live in downtown Orlando. Both the county and federal courthouses are downtown so my office is downtown as well. On nice days I ride my bike to work. It takes me about ten minutes to get there. There are associate attorneys in my firm who drive in from Clermont or even Davenport and I don't know how they do it.

by Anonymousreply 205May 17, 2019 3:29 PM

Oh, I'm so excited about Thanksgiving at Op's new house! I shall bring the jello salad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 17, 2019 3:43 PM

OP, best advice that I got that I will pass on to you - live in the house a while before you renovate, buy new furniture, etc. As long as you have running water and flushable toilets, and kitchen appliances that work, leave it alone while you settle in. You may want to end up changing the footprint of the kitchen or bathrooms so it doesn't make sense to do anything until you are sure what you want. Paint and refinish the floors before you move in though.

by Anonymousreply 207May 17, 2019 3:50 PM

Thanks, OP - I do get it. This is going to be one of the best decisions you'll ever make. Sometimes life drops things in your lap in unexpected ways. In my case, I kept doing a "house vs condo" debate, and was getting sick and tired of looking at places that I knew on sight wouldn't work for me.

I found my house on a bitter cold Sunday afternoon; it was gloomy and about to snow, and I was ready to give up when I decided to just look at this last one, and boom. I was in the real estate office that evening to put in an offer. I found out some couple had put a bid in before me, but thankfully I was pre qualified and they weren't, and their loan fell through, so I didn't even have to outbid them.

Fingers crossed for you!! You're making a smart move!

by Anonymousreply 208May 17, 2019 4:22 PM

Congratulations, OP!! You've made it! Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 209May 17, 2019 6:27 PM

OP, it seems as if this house spoke to something in you that you will never be able to explain to someone else.

Go for it.

Consider this quote from the movie "The Dish"...

[quote] Failure is never quite so frightening as regret.

All good luck. Keep us posted on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 210May 17, 2019 6:34 PM

Talked to the friend today to confirm everything is on track. She's leaving EVERYTHING,except for a grandfather clock and some artwork. The car is mine for $5k. It;s old but I don't care, So, now I can pick all you boys up at the station, lol. I've become a Pinterest frau and am gathering ideas all over. If you know the designer Darryl Carter, that's the look I'm after. Traditional, but minimal modern. The house is going to be painted China White throughout. I think with a blank slate like that I can't go wrong.

The more I think about it, the big formal living room is kind of redundant, so that will be the dining room. There's a fireplace in there with a boring traditional mantel. I found a cast concrete company that does some interesting stuff. If you can't tell, little work is getting done today. I've got a few items marked on EBay, and there's a good antique mall not too far from the house..Now I've got to figure out what to do with that plaid fucking sectional. It's ugly as sin, but I sat in it yesterday and it's comfortable as hell. Wish me luck, and if you have any design or remodeling stuff I should know about, I'm all ears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211May 17, 2019 6:58 PM

OP getting out of Manhattan is like Toto escaping the Witch's tower.

"He got away! He got away!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 17, 2019 7:02 PM

Oh, and one more thing. Anyone who has said, why didn't I buy closer? Head over to Zillow and see what $370 will buy you say 30 miles from the city. It ain't pretty.

by Anonymousreply 213May 17, 2019 7:04 PM

If it is a good quality sturdy piece, have the sectional upholstered - would cost a lot less than replacing it.

VERY HAPPY FOR YOU!! And take your time - you don't have to do everything at once. Half the pleasure is getting there.

by Anonymousreply 214May 17, 2019 7:06 PM

Good luck with the inspections, congrats!

by Anonymousreply 215May 17, 2019 7:15 PM

If this turns out to be another beta-tested book or blog by Josh Kilmer-Purcell (authenticated*), I will hunt OP's home down and piss on his porch!

by Anonymousreply 216May 17, 2019 7:18 PM

Keep the living room. Where will you hang out with friends if you turn it into a dining room?

Especially if that room has the fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 217May 17, 2019 7:19 PM

Yes, congratulations OP. Now, a PSA for anyone who might have missed this comment a few posts back:

[quote]...when she could call a charity thrift shop and have them come and get it...

Ha! No charity or thrift shop or Goodwill or anyone has come to get your donations since, oh, around the time the house was built! Honey, you get it to them somehow, or with you it stays.

by Anonymousreply 218May 17, 2019 7:22 PM

Joke's on you, I don't have a porch, R216. Maybe a small portico with a copper roof if I can afford it, lol. Trust me, this is all rtoo damn real. No Kilmer-Purcells were harmed or consulted on for this thread. There's a big ass family room with a fireplace off the kitchen, R217. I linked a picture upthread in all it's 80's glory. Back to the Pinterest mines. Is all IKEA stuff shitty? Cause, this is a good looking couch if it's got a white slipcover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219May 17, 2019 7:34 PM

Lightning will strike me for this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220May 17, 2019 7:34 PM

OP it's very nice. All the best to you with it!

by Anonymousreply 221May 17, 2019 7:37 PM

Just kidding, OP.

by Anonymousreply 222May 17, 2019 7:39 PM

There is one charity that comes to pick up donated furniture. But ......you might not like to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 223May 17, 2019 7:40 PM

Yep, that's the house. Now you can see the rest of the pictures. The agent put it on the MLS to show it as a sale. I'm sure it'll show as contingent some time today.

by Anonymousreply 224May 17, 2019 7:40 PM

Stalker much r220? That's a pretty fucked up thing to do, you just posted the OP's potential address. I figured out what town by the restaurant photo he posted but didn't mention it on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 225May 17, 2019 7:41 PM

OP, I like the idea of turning the formal living room into the dining room and making the dining room a library & office. Assuming there is an entry to the kitchen from that room, correct?

by Anonymousreply 226May 17, 2019 7:52 PM

which one is that R223?

by Anonymousreply 227May 17, 2019 8:34 PM

I'm not r223, but the charity he refers to his first on this list. Amvets will pick up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228May 17, 2019 8:39 PM

I assumed R220 was OP, no?

by Anonymousreply 229May 17, 2019 8:45 PM

R223 here. I was thinking about the Salvation Army. But didn't want to suggest it. I see it listed on R228's list.

But Habitat for Humanity is a fantastic organization. Goodwill is good. AmVets is sketchy.

by Anonymousreply 230May 17, 2019 8:51 PM

The American Cancer Society thrift shops also pick up. See if there's one nearby. I support them over Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

by Anonymousreply 231May 17, 2019 8:52 PM

OP listen to the poster who said wait, get settled and take your time with decisions about remodeling or renovations. Absolutely. I rushed and I've been through two living room sets in three years. And right now I'm thinking of either reupholstering or getting something entirely new. But I'd have to sell my stuff on consignment and lose money. I have how indecisive I am. I wasn't always like this. I had one sofa, a leather Bernhardt, gorgeous, lasted 23 years. I loved it. Now I'm shit for brains.

by Anonymousreply 232May 17, 2019 8:53 PM

Charity rating for Habitat for Humanity that I think is in your area. 4 stars is really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233May 17, 2019 8:55 PM

Invite us all for your housewarming party!

by Anonymousreply 234May 17, 2019 9:18 PM

R220, that house has been listed for sale on Zillow since May 7, 2019, one week before OP claimed it was still unlisted and waiting for his decision before it was listed. Some other discrepancies but I'll leave it at that.

I found it in a few minutes but was concerned about OP's mental health. I suspect maybe this may have been a little fantasy fling. Hope I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 235May 17, 2019 9:33 PM

[quote] I assumed [R220] was OP, no?

No. R220 is an EST buster.

by Anonymousreply 236May 17, 2019 9:35 PM

OP is using DL to flog the upcoming open house, with someone hoping to swoop in and buy this before OP.

Unfortunately, it's all a ruse by a shill. Well Done OP, hope a DLer buys it.

by Anonymousreply 237May 17, 2019 10:11 PM

I was right, sort of! Dammit! OP might as well be Josh, the dirty shill.

by Anonymousreply 238May 17, 2019 10:20 PM

OP - it's lovely - great potential. If you are able to afford it - really afford it and not having to rob Peter to pay Paul every month for expenses - go for it and enjoy it. These places out in the "country" are going for a song. For me, I am over it. I want a nice compact place - a place that is done and has a place for everything and everything in it's place which means divesting myself of a lot of stuff. I could see if you haven't had it as an adult you would crave what this home could be. Good luck and please keep us posted.

by Anonymousreply 239May 17, 2019 10:28 PM

Keep in mind upkeep and expenses - taxes $8,533 per year, guessing heat = $325 per month, electric $325 per month, snow removal $100 per event, lawn mowing $60 per week, landscaping - mulch, cleanup, etc, $3,500 per year. Roof $13,000, furnace $8,000, water heater $3,500 (on demand hot water). New kitchen $50,000-$75,000, new bathroom $5,000-15,000 each. Windows $600 to replace each average window - $1,200 to clean windows twice a year. Finishing floors $10,000, new paint inside $10,000, new paint outside $16,000.

by Anonymousreply 240May 17, 2019 10:36 PM

Hey all. R235, I'm as confused as you as to why the house is showing as listed May 7th. I was explicitly told that it wouldn't go live until today. Whatever the case, I put an offer in last night, and it's got a verbal acceptance. No shilling, lol. What's even to shill? R240, I think some of your figures are high, but I get it. It's a big expense to keep up a house. I'm researching ideas to kind of keep costs down, but I don't want to cheap out on the important stuff.

by Anonymousreply 241May 17, 2019 11:09 PM

R240, OP already has some quotes. STFU you jealous bitch.

by Anonymousreply 242May 17, 2019 11:15 PM

OP moves fast and plans fast. Admirable. All, this is all complete bullshit. Congrats. It would take me a week to organize my broom closet. And this guy inspected and bid on a house and has bids out for the remodel in just a few days!

by Anonymousreply 243May 17, 2019 11:36 PM

Water source is private well.

by Anonymousreply 244May 18, 2019 12:35 AM

Even though I've been one of the posters telling you NOT to buy it, now that you put in an offer huge congrats!! Keep us updated on how things go. I'm oddly invested in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 245May 18, 2019 12:45 AM

The impression I had of the inside of the house has changed since viewing the pictures. The house looks like it has good bones. Updating it with white paint ( paint those kitchen and bathroom cabinets white too) and a modern interior design will make it a showplace.

After a year's time I still think the commute will turn out to be too much. At that point you can flip it then and chalk it up to a years adventure in real estate.

by Anonymousreply 246May 18, 2019 1:09 AM

R218, some charities still do pick up furniture. Catholic Charities (where I live) does. They came and got a house full of furniture I donated that belonged to an elderly relative.

by Anonymousreply 247May 18, 2019 2:07 AM

Catholic Charities are in Connecticut. I know, Catholic, but the one where I live runs a shelter for destitute families and does a lot of good locally.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248May 18, 2019 2:11 AM

Buyer beware OP - the house was first listed in 2017 for $450,000 - you can see it under history. Still, good luck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249May 18, 2019 2:45 AM

R242 - was that really necessary?

by Anonymousreply 250May 18, 2019 2:46 AM

I thought the family friend's mother just died.

by Anonymousreply 251May 18, 2019 2:59 AM

Wood siding, OP? Add the cost of painting every few years on to your list of maintenance expenses.

by Anonymousreply 252May 18, 2019 4:00 AM

So this is an EST? Good one, OP.

by Anonymousreply 253May 18, 2019 4:01 AM

The realtor probably put it in MLS when she got the contract from the owner but didn't publish it. That was to protect her commission if someone offered the seller money to not put it up for sale. A house by me was known to be going up for sale for the last month. No listing made public until yesterday after the owners cleared out. But the brand new listing says it's been on the market since early April. Realtor was just protecting their commission.

by Anonymousreply 254May 18, 2019 4:10 AM

No, R254. That listing has been published on Zillow since May 7. That's where the photographs came from and all the other details we were provided.

by Anonymousreply 255May 18, 2019 4:15 AM

One bedroom looked like it had some teen girl posters and another one had what looked like some childrens things.We've been had, Ladies!

by Anonymousreply 256May 18, 2019 4:29 AM

I checked out of this thread halfway though. Events just seem to be unraveling a bit too neatly for OP.

If this was an EST, it was a good one.

by Anonymousreply 257May 18, 2019 4:49 AM

The first mistake OP made was post that photo at R177.

by Anonymousreply 258May 18, 2019 4:54 AM

R258/257, I thought that at first but the I realized that was an example of the future desired "portico".

All so bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 259May 18, 2019 5:10 AM

There are two kids' rooms, one with a crib. Op's friend's mother must have been popping out miracle babies in her 70s.

by Anonymousreply 260May 18, 2019 5:19 AM

Here's the crib in a room with baby things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261May 18, 2019 5:19 AM

Maybe I missed this, but I'm assuming some of the rooms have been staged by the realtor? They might have used some of the furniture and stuff, but it's not like they're going to photograph the house exactly as it was left by the friend's parents.

by Anonymousreply 262May 18, 2019 5:30 AM

That house and op are meant for each other.

by Anonymousreply 263May 18, 2019 5:36 AM

This house sold for $323k in March. It's about 2 miles away from your house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264May 18, 2019 5:44 AM

R220, if the lightning hasn't struck yet, I'll be glad to help out.

by Anonymousreply 265May 18, 2019 5:56 AM

You get a lot for your money in that town. Is it a shithole?

by Anonymousreply 266May 18, 2019 6:00 AM

R262, realtors don't stage cribs and baby wipes and ugly furniture and curtain rod holders with no curtains.

They stage rooms so buyers can envision themselves in a glamorous lifestyle, not as frumps with kids.

by Anonymousreply 267May 18, 2019 6:09 AM

R267 The kind of people on the market for a house like this are not looking for a "glamorous lifestyle." They are frumps with kids or expecting kids.

by Anonymousreply 268May 18, 2019 6:19 AM

I suppose the kids things could be for grand or great grandchildren who regularly visited. But, no, this house has not been "staged".

by Anonymousreply 269May 18, 2019 6:37 AM

Sorry, OP. You lost the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 270May 18, 2019 6:39 AM

The biggest tipoff for me was the thread title. "So, this just happened." No, it didn't. Other embellishments like the BMW wagon hanging out in the garage that the "friend" let him have for 5k.

by Anonymousreply 271May 18, 2019 6:52 AM

Wow, you EST hunters are good. I thought the naysayers made completely valid points and was confused when the OP said he went ahead with the deal instead of checking out more suitable properties.

by Anonymousreply 272May 18, 2019 7:01 AM

I smelled bull with the accepted verbal offer. Why wouldn't the agent write it up when he was there?

by Anonymousreply 273May 18, 2019 7:38 AM

Seems OP has been starting CT house for sale threads all over DL this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 18, 2019 7:41 AM

Yes, the house on Poverty Hollow Road. So, OP is likely an outed RE agent..

by Anonymousreply 275May 18, 2019 7:47 AM

R275, what's the significance of Poverty Hollow Rd?

by Anonymousreply 276May 18, 2019 10:35 AM

So, this just happened. A family friend's parents let their villa in Cap d'Antibes. She's put it on the market but has offered me an inside price. Long story, more inside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277May 18, 2019 10:59 AM

That is where the house at the link is located. I just think living on a street called Poverty Hollow Rd would cast a shadow of doom over your life. Surprised the residents didn't petition to change it.

by Anonymousreply 278May 18, 2019 11:03 AM

Enjoy Spring Today!

by Anonymousreply 279May 18, 2019 11:08 AM

You should go for it R277.

by Anonymousreply 280May 18, 2019 11:14 AM

What’s EST?

by Anonymousreply 281May 18, 2019 11:20 AM

EST means Eastern Standard Time. We use it to refer to basic bitch shop bottoms on the East Coast who live on tight schedules and budgets and prove their basicness trolling elaborate scenarios on DL.

by Anonymousreply 282May 18, 2019 11:30 AM

Even though we have been had, it was fun.

by Anonymousreply 283May 18, 2019 12:09 PM

I'm disappointed, I was getting quite invest in OPs plans.

by Anonymousreply 284May 18, 2019 12:16 PM

But OP's plans were sort of obviously bogus, no? Asks for advice, then every objection/caveat/word of hard-learned go-slow advice is ignored or blown off by the presumptive buyer. And you weren't suspicious?

Now you have to assume every post on DL is an EST first, then consider that maybe it's not. Lots of sick puppies here.

by Anonymousreply 285May 18, 2019 12:38 PM

I have to admit that I wasn't suspicious R285. It seemed too long winded and boring to be an EST - sufficiently interesting to grab a bit of attention of course but ordinary enough to seem realistic to me. Plus OP put in a lot of work for it, over a few days and with a lot of detail.

Maybe I'm odd but it honestly didn't occur to me someone would create a lie that is both so elaborate and so ordinary just for the sake of it. I don't think I've ever lied on the internet - whether on an anonymous site or not, so I don't expect other people too unless it's very obvious that they are.

by Anonymousreply 286May 18, 2019 12:44 PM

I googled the picture of the house when OP posted it and saw it listed with the address. I was kind of worried that he seemed to have doxxed himself on DL but I wasn’t going to point it out to you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 287May 18, 2019 12:54 PM

This was really a very clever ploy, Tom.

by Anonymousreply 288May 18, 2019 12:55 PM

But what was it meant to achieve R288? to get people interested in buying the house? so, if we hadn't realised it was an EST would OP have pretended that the sale had fallen through in the hope that someone else of DL came forward to buy it? that seems like a lot of work for a very unlikely pay-off.

by Anonymousreply 289May 18, 2019 1:04 PM

Well, that was amusing.

by Anonymousreply 290May 18, 2019 1:46 PM

Same R286. I doubt OP is a realtor, anyway. It's more likely a guy in a crappy apartment living out an elaborate fantasy life about his dream house, if this is fake.

by Anonymousreply 291May 18, 2019 2:46 PM

R289 - free advertising - selling a piece of real estate (especially a fixer-upper) is often a numbers game - so Tom the realtor presumably got a couple of hundred pairs of eyes on a property that might not normally see it.

by Anonymousreply 292May 18, 2019 3:06 PM

I like the the anonymity of DL because I can say what I really think but I hate it when people construct elaborate ESTs. Sometimes people reach out for support which they desperately need, but they are not believed because of threads like this.

by Anonymousreply 293May 18, 2019 3:18 PM

Anyone nearby to attend the Open House [bold]tomorrow?[/bold] On a house where the OP's offer has already been verbally accepted. Curious...

Maybe he'll be back to tell us he was outbid BECAUSE IT'S A STEAL!

UPCOMING OPEN HOUSE

MAY 19TH, 2019

Time: 11:00 am to 1:00 pm

Just listed! Come take a look at this attractively priced Colonial in a picture-perfect neighborhood of Woodbury.

Come fall in love with this idyllic neighborhood of classic Colonial homes nestled among mature trees and gardens just minutes from the restaurants, shops and parks that make Woodbury extraordinary. This stately four bedroom, two and a half bath home built in 1989 features hardwood floors on both levels, two wood-burning fireplaces, and a spacious 525 sq ft family room with vaulted ceiling and exposed beams. Enjoy the private forest views from the deck accessed through sliders off the eat-in kitchen. The laundry is conveniently located on the main floor, and the partially finished/heated walkout lower level adds an additional 550 square feet of living space, plus storage, mechanicals and a two car garage accessed from the newly paved driveway. The hot water heater was installed in 2016, Roof & Gutters 2013, Well tank 2013, AC Condenser 2008, and the Thermopride oil-fired furnace in 2005. This home is the perfect opportunity for a buyer who recognizes a great value; it’s priced to leave room in the budget for interior updates that should bring the new owner immediate equity.

by Anonymousreply 294May 18, 2019 3:42 PM

Damn, OP! I thought it was a basic, unsophisticated house but your arguments were compelling. Then I saw the photos and thought it was decent on the inside. I was totally rooting for you in the end. I guess well done for creating an engaging thread.

by Anonymousreply 295May 18, 2019 4:09 PM

You guys sure can get awfully weird, overnight, lol. As I said yesterday, I have a verbally accepted offer on the house. Which just means it's not yet signed by the owner, paperwork in place.My agent works for Tom, and trust me I'm no agent. And really, what would I get out of this? Someone coming to DL to buy my house? Still unclear as to why it showed up early on the MLS. The BMW in the garage by the way, is 12 years old, with 150K on it. Trust me, it's not fancy.

by Anonymousreply 296May 18, 2019 4:15 PM

Well I knew OP was a shit when he was snippy about the funny I made.

by Anonymousreply 297May 18, 2019 4:22 PM

OP isn't in CT he's in Vegas for the Metamorphosis premiere. Which was so awful, expect many more dire ESTs in the coming days.

by Anonymousreply 298May 18, 2019 4:26 PM

Why is there an open house if it's sold?

by Anonymousreply 299May 18, 2019 4:27 PM

I'm a realtor in San Francisco where EVERYTHING is staged - it is just how it's done here. We will stage twin beds in a room to show neutral family living but never cribs, teen girl posters, etc. In the beginning of the thread you said the agent wasn't putting it onto the market, it shows multiple days on the market, it's being held open and finally that is not the house of a 70 year old grannie. It's total frau, family decor. Anyhow, lame.

by Anonymousreply 300May 18, 2019 4:32 PM

OP is a liar!

by Anonymousreply 301May 18, 2019 4:38 PM

OP, if you really like the house that is one issue. But having lived there if you want to socialize with other people (gay or straight couples) it will be stultifying

"Madyson was just accepted to Miss May's County Day School" -- here are her pics

"We went on vacation to Atlantis in the Caribbean because of the kids." Here's a pic of Madyson coming down the slide!

"Let's go on a tour and show you hubby's new man cave!"

by Anonymousreply 302May 18, 2019 4:49 PM

So, who's calling the listing broker to confirm tomorrow's Open House, find out if it's in "contingent' or 'back-up offer" status, and ask if the former owner went in for the adult baby thing and slept in the crib?

by Anonymousreply 303May 18, 2019 4:57 PM

[quote]trust me I'm no agent

[quote]Trust me, it's not fancy.

Is this like when DJT says "trust me"?

by Anonymousreply 304May 18, 2019 5:02 PM

R303, perhaps we can get a CT DLer to attend the open house! Any takers?

by Anonymousreply 305May 18, 2019 5:05 PM

However this works out, this has been a most entertaining thread!

by Anonymousreply 306May 18, 2019 5:16 PM

Sure, because people were for the most part sincere and thoughtful for your entertainment...

by Anonymousreply 307May 18, 2019 5:58 PM

Well done, OP. I like a good EST. However it's the DL Detectives who shine here. Well done, boys.

by Anonymousreply 308May 18, 2019 6:12 PM

If i lived any where that place I'd go to the Open House.

by Anonymousreply 309May 18, 2019 7:06 PM

So no DL Friday night dance parties at OP's house?

by Anonymousreply 310May 18, 2019 7:15 PM

OP, many baby cribs are easily converted to full size beds which might work nicely in one of your guest bedrooms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311May 18, 2019 8:22 PM

We'z been FOUND OUT!

by Anonymousreply 312May 18, 2019 8:34 PM

R179 [quote]I won’t have to come out for any inspections

OP that’s crazy. ALWAYS be present for inspections.

by Anonymousreply 313May 18, 2019 8:44 PM

Someone on the East coast at least call the agent and find out if it's available.

by Anonymousreply 314May 18, 2019 11:04 PM

The house was originally listed in 2017 for $450,000. Sat forever and relisted at $369,000 12 days ago. This is a total ruse of a thread - however possibly an explanation for the baby things is that the parent who passed was a grandparent. If this property was "staged" please call me stat - I will stage it properly so that potential buyers will want to live there - not tear it down. It constantly amazes me how realtors present unkempt properties - the only thing missing from these photos is a picture of an open toilet - that's always my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 315May 19, 2019 2:02 PM

The property was not staged. Who staged it if it was? Mama June?

by Anonymousreply 316May 19, 2019 4:49 PM

R315 The fact that it was listed before doesn’t mean a thing and certainly does not make this a “ruse of a thread.”

by Anonymousreply 317May 19, 2019 6:31 PM

R317 - it sort of does - the thread title is "So, this just happened."

by Anonymousreply 318May 19, 2019 11:09 PM

What “just happened” was the daughter having the house left to her and OP seeing it for the first time. It being listed previously is irrelevant and ‘proves’ nothing.

by Anonymousreply 319May 20, 2019 12:23 AM

R319 Fuck off OP you have been sprung

by Anonymousreply 320May 20, 2019 12:25 AM

Time to end the tediousness

by Anonymousreply 321May 20, 2019 12:27 AM

R320 I’m not OP. Lol

by Anonymousreply 322May 20, 2019 12:29 AM

R322 But why defend the madness, this is obviously bullshit

by Anonymousreply 323May 20, 2019 12:31 AM

I believe you, OP. That's an awfully big house for one guy....So...I was thinking.... I'd be happy to stay there, maybe mow the lawn do some gardening, tidy things up. I'm talking help you paint, do some light housekeeping...

by Anonymousreply 324May 20, 2019 12:35 AM

...pick up lost gloves, clean up blood, distract limo drivers,....

by Anonymousreply 325May 20, 2019 1:05 AM

OP will only hire someone to come onto these threads and back up his ESTs

by Anonymousreply 326May 20, 2019 2:00 AM

R281

EST = Elaborate Scenario Troll

by Anonymousreply 327May 20, 2019 2:14 AM

God - why is this thread still alive. It’s stupid - and not even worth the label EST - it’s not even elaborate. Boring and stupid and yet it still keeps popping up to the top again - wtf

by Anonymousreply 328May 20, 2019 2:25 AM

[quote] Well done, OP. I like a good EST. However it's the DL Detectives who shine here. Well done, boys.

Excuse me, R308, but why do you assume they are all boys?

by Anonymousreply 329May 20, 2019 8:17 AM

Any reports from yesterday's open house?

by Anonymousreply 330May 20, 2019 8:35 AM

R308 Because they are, the detectives always are

by Anonymousreply 331May 20, 2019 8:39 AM

R329 because this is a GAY SITE.

by Anonymousreply 332May 20, 2019 10:17 AM

[quote] OP, it seems like you have something to prove to someone or to yourself that "you've made it." To b honest, the house is not very impressive aesthetically - it looks like a cheaply made 80's home. At first I was picturing something amazing and one of a kind like the home in The Money Pit. You've made the house husband joke a lot. Do you think this home will attract a man? If the house is mediocre and the neighborhood is prestigious adjacent, I just don't see the point. You have to do what makes you happy. Just make sure this isn't a mid life crisis or some desperate attempt to land a man. Once you leave the city, it's hard to go back and that house doesn't look like a quick sale in a pinch type of property, Good luck!

This is the post I've most agreed with. OP sounded so naive and stupid talking about his "American Dream." Then suddenly OP had estimates on projects. Then OP threw in an extra $5K for an old BMW parked in the garage. Then somebody posted photos of the house and the house was still looking like a box (not in a good way), but the inside wasn't that bad.

by Anonymousreply 333May 20, 2019 4:52 PM

When there is sudden radio silence from an OP, we know we've been had.

We've been HAD, ladies!

by Anonymousreply 334May 20, 2019 4:53 PM

He's busy buying antiques for the house he just closed.

by Anonymousreply 335May 20, 2019 4:58 PM

OP's new internet access from the Hooterville Telephone Co isn't working this week

by Anonymousreply 336May 20, 2019 5:03 PM

Still showing as available. I am told that according to CT State Law the posting must show any changed status as it occurs - sometimes this doesn't happen but it is supposed to.

by Anonymousreply 337May 20, 2019 5:04 PM

It could of been this house. Seems like he knew how to live but graciously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338May 20, 2019 5:07 PM

[quote] It could of been this house.

Oh fucking dear, you've just committed one of the most ignorant of all grammar/usage mistakes, you dumb hillbilly.

by Anonymousreply 339May 20, 2019 5:11 PM

The house (real estate ad) is posted at R220 . Check it out.

by Anonymousreply 340May 20, 2019 5:12 PM

This is one of the oddest and most boring EST topics I've seen here, but clearly the OP's story is indeed bogus.

by Anonymousreply 341May 20, 2019 5:13 PM

I love Paul Newman's home. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 342May 20, 2019 5:22 PM

I agree R342. Paul Newman's house may be my favorite celebrity house. The setting is so peaceful. The house is a home and gorgeous at the same time. I've never been to Connecticut. Now I want to go there.

by Anonymousreply 343May 20, 2019 6:19 PM

R343 - call me - I can give you tour that will knock your eyes out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344May 20, 2019 6:42 PM

Tom's name has been removed from the listing.

by Anonymousreply 345May 20, 2019 6:52 PM

Name is still showing on realtor.com

by Anonymousreply 346May 20, 2019 7:07 PM

This is the contact for the listing:

STEPHEN SCHAPPERT

Phone: 860-880-0597

Phone Alt: 203-994-3950

Maybe Tom couldn't handle the call volume from inquisitive DLers.

by Anonymousreply 347May 20, 2019 7:10 PM

Okay, so now it's an outright shill advertisement thread.

OP is such a sneaky cunt.

by Anonymousreply 348May 20, 2019 7:22 PM

[quote] [R289] - free advertising - selling a piece of real estate (especially a fixer-upper) is often a numbers game - so Tom the realtor presumably got a couple of hundred pairs of eyes on a property that might not normally see it.

A couple of hundred sounds like a gross overestimate of how many people have not only read/skimmed this thread but actually bothered to click on the link to the property. And probably somewhere around zero pairs of those eyes had any interest in buying a home in Litchfield County CT. Agreed that the OP has created a phony scenario, but it seems pointless to me.

by Anonymousreply 349May 20, 2019 8:24 PM

OP probably stopped posting because you people are cray.

by Anonymousreply 350May 20, 2019 10:28 PM

Haha, that may be true, r350.

by Anonymousreply 351May 21, 2019 2:04 AM

[quote] [R329] because this is a GAY SITE. —Begone interloper.

Someone please tell the misogynist PIG at R332 that gay women exist. He seems to have missed that memo. Un-be-fucking-lieavable that gay women have to fight off this kind of hate and ignorance at DL.

Now, R332, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 352May 21, 2019 2:15 AM

We don't like fish.

by Anonymousreply 353May 21, 2019 2:12 PM

We definitely don't like angry fish

by Anonymousreply 354May 21, 2019 4:44 PM

[quote]Someone please tell the misogynist PIG at [R332] that gay women exist.

Posters like r232 crack me up because they are never going to get the male-only DL that they long for and their impotent rage over this is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 355May 21, 2019 4:46 PM

I love my lesbian sisters and only on here had I ever heard we were supposed to "hate" them. Just because Im a gay man doesnt mean I hate all women because they have a vagina. Stuff and nonsense !

by Anonymousreply 356May 21, 2019 4:49 PM

It's not even a widespread thing on here, it's just a few trolls. I don't know any gay men who don't love their lesbian friends and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 357May 21, 2019 6:04 PM

90 minutes on the train is not a big deal, especially if you can get some work done on your commute. I think it might be a nice change for you.

by Anonymousreply 358May 21, 2019 6:27 PM

Take it. Do it.

by Anonymousreply 359May 21, 2019 6:30 PM

Ummm....guys?

by Anonymousreply 360May 21, 2019 6:45 PM

still unsold...

by Anonymousreply 361May 22, 2019 5:43 AM

OP??

by Anonymousreply 362May 22, 2019 8:35 AM

Was this OP the same guy with the nephew, trying something new?

by Anonymousreply 363May 22, 2019 8:39 AM

The house is still on the market. The “family friend” must not have accepted that verbal offer after all.

by Anonymousreply 364May 26, 2019 6:33 PM

I'm crying for OP as I type this, R364!!!

by Anonymousreply 365May 27, 2019 9:08 AM

Just looked myself - Zillow is showing 922 views - wonder how many of them are Dataloungers....

by Anonymousreply 366May 27, 2019 1:30 PM

5/30/2019, 6:16 PM PST. Still active.

by Anonymousreply 367May 31, 2019 1:16 AM

I would never consider a 90 minute commute. I had a 20-30 minute commute for decades. A short commute gives you a life.

by Anonymousreply 368May 31, 2019 1:30 AM

R366, how many views did comparable properties have in the area? That'll give us an idea of how many DLers checked it out, lol.

by Anonymousreply 369May 31, 2019 7:23 AM

R369 - house nearby on 11 Deerfield Lane priced at $419,900 on the market 84 days - 428 views. Tom's house at 7 Essex Lane ($369,000) on the market 29 days now has 1299 views on Zillow

by Anonymousreply 370June 5, 2019 3:13 PM

Still on the market. Open House scheduled for this weekend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371June 29, 2019 4:37 PM

OP's last post (from May 18th - almost a month and a half ago) about the house the owner accepted his offer on. And which remains unsold.

"You guys sure can get awfully weird, overnight, lol. As I said yesterday, I have a verbally accepted offer on the house. Which just means it's not yet signed by the owner, paperwork in place.My agent works for Tom, and trust me I'm no agent. And really, what would I get out of this? Someone coming to DL to buy my house? Still unclear as to why it showed up early on the MLS. The BMW in the garage by the way, is 12 years old, with 150K on it. Trust me, it's not fancy."

Trust me: HE makes all this shit up and WE'RE weird?

by Anonymousreply 372June 29, 2019 4:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!